User Reviews for Mirtazapine to treat Major Depressive Disorder

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Mirtazapine has an average rating of 7.0 out of 10 from a total of 147 ratings for the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder. 55% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 19% reported a negative effect.

Mirtazapine Rating Summary

7.0/10 average rating

Compare all 54 medications used in the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder.

Reviews for Mirtazapine

Grub · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 20, 2021

Remeron (mirtazapine): “I have been on Remeron for 5 weeks. Before taking this I had extreme anxiety, I felt like I had a steel band tightening around my midriff, heart beating like it was going to explode, shaking when I had to go out and lack of sleep. Now on this I have the confidence to go out, my heart rate feels normal and thank goodness the steel band has disappeared. I hope this has been helpful to someone out there, good luck”

anikasonline September 10, 2019

Remeron (mirtazapine): “30mg every night for PTSD, panic disorder and major depression. dealing with childhood trauma like physical and emotional abuse, sexual assault from a young age. Mind doesn't race as much, don't have dangerous thoughts anymore. I still experience panic attacks, occasional chest tightness if I think about it, but panic attacks have significantly gone down to at least maybe once a month if not every other month. I have gained few pounds. If you have a sensitive stomach, eating right before or after taking this medication else you'll feel bad waves of nausea. My parents hid panic disorder as a child and lied to me about it so, I started experiencing them much more often in high school. have I honestly never felt better mentally. I can't say enough good things about this medication! Wait it out if you really think this will work for you. I had tried 6+ medications, this one works miracles and my mental health is 70-75% better.”

rubbernose · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 7, 2020

Remeron (mirtazapine): “Mirtazapine took my depression away in as little as 5 days. It was great, now I can live. 5 months later I started having severe bouts of breathlessness. My Psych says it is not the drug, it is anxiety. I stopped the drug for three days and the symptom totally went away. I went back on it real quick cuz the depression came on fast. Doc put me on .5mg clonazepam twice a day, but doesn't help the breathing. Anybody else have this breathlessness?”

Geraldine · Taken for less than 1 month October 25, 2020

Remeron (mirtazapine): “I'm on week 4 of mirtazapine 30mg and still feeling anxious. I have some really good days, so I think the tablet has started working, but then the next day I can be anxious all day long, which then disheartens me. Im wondering whether to stick with it ? Any experience would be welcome.”

Hungry4success · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 16, 2019

Remeron (mirtazapine): “I love Remeron! Even though it doesn't work sometimes, it definitely helps with mood, sleep, and your appetite when it does. I guess bc I've taken it for so long, my body thinks it's a Skittle. But skipping a week or just taking it when needed has better results for me. Without it, I tend to lose weight everyday from the effects of not eating when I'm busy. This helps me to keep my appetite and energy up until the next dosage. I hope this post and the medicine helps someone else as well. Just do not forget about the symptoms, be prepared for them, and enjoy ur life on Remeron!”

Pips September 25, 2019

Remeron (mirtazapine): “K, been on this drug Remeron for depression for the longest time ! Have been on sooo many different drugs, worked for a while, then nada, side effects etc. My history, for 20 more years, is major depression and anxiety disorder. Partial personality disorder, it’s kicking in now, sorry. Remeron has been a God send to me for a long time. I , along with others, would highly recommend this.”

Killy · Taken for less than 1 month March 27, 2020

“Before taking mirtazapine, I had been on sertraline for several months, with awful side-effects. It turned me into an emotionless zombie. I didn't care about anything. They took me off when it triggered a hypomanic episode at 100mg. Mirtazapine compared to sertraline is night and day. This drug is wonderful. I started out at 7.5mg and had no initial side-effects aside from grogginess after taking it (which went away after a few weeks) and dry mouth. Upped to 15mg after the first week. I sleep soundly (vivid sometimes crazy dreams but no nightmares), and wake up feeling energized. The "dark cloud" of my depression started going away within the first couple of weeks. I have this newfound mental clarity... no more intrusive, negative thoughts and focusing on the horrible things of my past. I feel motivated and productive and joy in doing things again. I have not yet noticed any change in appetite or weight gain. Overall mirtazapine has changed my life. I love living again!!”

Redds October 4, 2020

Remeron (mirtazapine): “I have tried many antidepressants. I love Remeron. I feel happy. Side effect always hunger. But it has done amazing things for me. My family and friends gave noticed. Have been on 30mg for 6 weeks.”

jeffdotcooper · Taken for less than 1 month October 3, 2014

Remeron (mirtazapine): “30 mg. dosage; What to possibly expect based on my experience. Day 1. I was extremely tired & if I let my head hit the pillow, I would experience micro sleep. I felt a little dizzy at times. Be careful around stairs if you suffer from vertigo. Functionality was delayed - my mind was in a cloud & it was difficult to work or concentrate on something that required deep attention. Day2. I felt hungover. Hypersensitive to sounds, meaning that my mind would abnormally jolt to a greater sense of attention to a noise than before. The dizziness remained but at a decreased level. Day 3. Almost normal; just slightly tired.”

steverh · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 20, 2014

Remeron (mirtazapine): “I was on Remeron for about 2 years before. Helped very very much with my depression. But although I often felt very sleepy near the beginning of the treatment, the massive fatigue eventually subsided to an acceptable level. 20-mins after taking it, I'm ready for bed I can't keep my eyes open no matter what. I just restarted Remeron two days ago, after more than a year being on it. As I type this, I feel fogged over, sort of sleepy, and immensely "munchie". As before when I took it, I'd find myself waking up several times a night going to raid the fridge and cabinets for munchie or sweet foods (and meats! definitely craved meat all the time). So again, on Remeron: eating again, sleeping some, more relaxed, less sad. ”

Khaleesi · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 10, 2019

Remeron (mirtazapine): “I have MDD, anxiety disorder, panic attacks, and ASD (autism spectrum disorder). I was put on a combination of 7.5 mg Remeron and 100 mg of Pristiq. Within a few weeks, I stopped having panic attacks and I had no more depression. I am so grateful my doctor tried these drugs, it literally saved my life. Before my life was hell and I literally wanted to die. Now I am happy 99% of the time, and I can't remember the last time I cried. The only problem is I am constantly hungry and I have gained 40 pounds in less than a year.”

Nic · Taken for less than 1 month April 10, 2020

Remeron (mirtazapine): “I've been dealing with a lot of family issues plus I suffer from MDD and GAD, anyway I believe I also have PTSD and I was stuck on repeat in my mind and could not stop reliving a past "argument" had Iwith my family. I took 15mg last night and already the obsessive thoughts have diminished. I also have subconscience fears of being poisoned. Those have also diminished since yesterday. Hope it continues I just worry about weight gain but if my mind isn't occupied with all the rubbish I can focus on exercise.”

Ambam · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 5, 2020

“I've been on mirtazapine for just over a year now, and it has done wonders for my mental health. I have struggled with anxiety and depression since my early teens and this has worked wonders. I definitely noticed an increase in my appetite so have gained a bit of weight but it's worth the mental stability. I'm on 30mg a day, I started on 15mg but this wasn't a high enough dose. The only thing I'd note is that going off this cold turkey is a terrible idea. I missed a week because of a mistake on my doctor's behalf, and the withdrawals were terrible. I had the sweats, couldn't sleep, barely ate & my depressed & anxious thoughts came back really strongly. Luckily after three days of being back on it I'm starting to feel better. Overall so happy this medication has worked for me and brought back a quality of life I'd been missing for years.”

1234 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 24, 2020

Remeron (mirtazapine): “I gained 25 lbs in 6 weeks on Remeron. I was 125lb when I started the medication and now I’m bordering on overweight. Luckily when I stopped the medication the weight gain stopped. It helped slightly with my chronic migraines and did not make me sleepy. I feel it did improve my quality of sleep somewhat, but not enough to continue gaining weight at that rate. I did exercise and watch what I ate but it just made me too hungry. It had no effect on my depression unfortunately, and I feel much worse about myself after gaining all that weight. Ketamine therapy has been the only antidepressant to work for me yet.”

StdEngineer October 8, 2019

“Mirtazapine has been a god-send for insomnia. I’ve been on combinations of escitalopram & trazodone, sertraline & trazodone, then added Wellbutrin to the mix (to counteract the drowsiness/other side effects), and have been on mirtazapine 37.5mg & a lowered dose of sertraline (was 150mg, now 100mg). I haven’t slept properly since I was 10 y/o, and have only recently realized how important it has been to my mental and emotional health. If I’m having a horrible day full of anxiety attack, Mirtazapine can knock me out for 9-10 hours and I wake up and can try again. It’s hell to keep experimenting with meds...but if you find a combo that gets your sleep right and crazy panic attacks down, work out everyday (try martial arts/mma), cut toxic people out of your life, surround yourself with family and genuine friends, go to therapy even if you find yourself saying the same thing every time. The meds aren’t your only solution. You can do this. Keep fighting.”

Fred · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 21, 2019

Remeron (mirtazapine): “I have been giving Remeron to my wife (79) who has been diagnosed with advanced dementia. She sometimes is completely confused and becomes even hostile towards me, her husband of 50 years. I have experimented with various doses of Remeron and found out that giving her 15mg doses three times a day is effective and usually keeps her in a reasonable to good mood. In the evening her anxiety comes back about our cats who are used to go outside. I give her a small alcoholic drink (Irish Cream) which has a very beneficial effect on her. Remeron does not seem to interact negatively with alcohol. One hour before bedtime I give her 10 mg of Melatonin. She sleeps very well. I have found that 15 mg of Remeron in the morning, 15 to 30 mg at 2 pm and sometimes another 15 mg in the evening is a very good combination. I know that one should not give more than 45 mg a day, but sometimes and additional dose at night is necessary.”

xyz123 September 16, 2014

Remeron (mirtazapine): “I had been taking Restoril for sleep for several years. I found that my level of depression was worsening over time and I had to take more and more to sleep. Finally, I decided that I needed to get off of the Restoril. My doctor prescribed Remeron. I have been taking it for several weeks now and find that my mood has improved as well as my sleep. I am down to 1/2 of the Restoril I was taking before and hopefully may be able to discontinue it. The only downside of Remeron is that my appetite has increased, which is not good for me. Otherwise, I would have rated this as a 10.”

81Robert93 April 14, 2015

Remeron (mirtazapine): “I started remeron about 2 months ago. For my severe depression.. And anxiety and severe insomnia.. The first night taking it I slept the best I had In Years! I didn't wake up feeling groggy I actually felt better sleep wise I still felt very depressed and that continued for a few week to the point I tried to commit suicide and then I new I needed help.. The upped my remeron to 45 mg at bedtime I've been on 45 mg for a week and I've noticed a big change I feel normal again.. I give remeron a 10 it improved my life a great deal!!!”

kake April 12, 2020

“mirtazapine has proved to be a sanjivini (life saver) for me..tired with almost all antidepressants and lost all hope. For a year I had been in pathetic condition and had major depression with many symptoms like hot flashes and suicidal thoughts. Tried this medicines and after few days I was completely recovered. I would recommend it only if you hv tried few first line treatment as I had. It did increase my blood glucose level. I would suggest to all reader please do not leave your hopes as one or another medicines will help you sooner or later..god bless us all”

Saved At Last June 1, 2017

Remeron (mirtazapine): “This drug saved my life. I never thought I'd say that but due to a health issue I have had chronic tension headaches that have now disappeared! Oh and my depression and anxiety are gone on this. I'm able to feel blissful. I'm able to handle tough situations. I'm able to live. Give it time to work cause it could make your life so much better.”

Loey April 2, 2020

“Mirtazapine was a godsend to me. I had tried all the anti-depressants without success. I had given up when I was having a very difficult time maintaining housing, caring for my mother who has dementia and losing my daughter and grandkids to Canada where I can't afford to visit. My world was falling apart and the depression was very serious. My psychiatrist prescribed Remeron (mirtazapine) and in a day or two I saw the world in a completely hopeful way where before mirtazapine I believed life wasn't worth it anymore but couldn't do that to my sweet little girl. My only child. My only side effect was enjoying food! I gained 25 pounds but I could use them. I had no appetite at all before.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 29, 2015

Remeron (mirtazapine): “Having failed most SSRI's Remeron was a real surprise. It calmed me, helped me sleep, helped me focus but most importantly had almost no side effects. My appetite went crazy the first week but mellowed out afterwards. I get pretty drowsy about an hour after taking it, so I only take it at bedtime. I had to drop from 45 mg to 30 mg due to it amping me up rather than sedating. Works fine, no tolerance type effects unlike Z-drugs.”

medtaker92 September 7, 2018

Remeron (mirtazapine): “I have taken this med for over 2 years. I've been suffering from insomnia, anxiety, and depression my whole life. I found that nothing that could help. Every night I tossed and turned, waking up every 2 hours. The first night I took this, like magic, I slept a whole night without waking up. And every night since then it has worked. However, BEWARE, it will make you binge eat. You have NO control over it. Studies say weight gain from this med only affects like 15% of people. Use look at the reviews on here and across the internet–it's more like 90%. I've always been skinny and I put on 14 pounds within a month of starting it. I quit for a week, which made me extremely depressed and unable to sleep, but I immediately lost all the weight. But I was so depressed, it hurt, so I got back on it. That's why I give this a 7, it's a conundrum, it helps so much with insomnia/depression/anxiety but it makes you FAT. Don't try this med unless you've tried ALL other SSRI's and sleep meds.”

Kay · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 7, 2018

Remeron (mirtazapine): “I love love love Remeron. I have been severely depressed for more than a decade. I was on bupriopion before, but then had a seizure on it and could no longer continue. I had not taken any helpful medication for years after that. I told my doctor my problems and with the things that I was looking to have alleviated, he recommended Remeron. I have had extreme appetite suppression for a long time as well due to my depression, and I needed a medication to increase my appetite. I was having trouble sleeping due to overthinking at night. I had a lot of ideation. Remeron helped me with all of these symptoms. It helps me eat like a normal person would. It is quite sedative, so it helps with sleep, which is super important for depression, to get enough. And it helped overall with mood. A good one!”

Vinylfind · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 15, 2015

Remeron (mirtazapine): “This is perfect for sleep at 7.5 or less. Get to sleep easily, with no worrisome thoughts before bed. I was taking it for depression after a no-go with Prozac. I couldn't handle the fatigue at therapeutic dose and now I use Wellbutrin XL 300 in morning and Remeron 7.5 at bed. I take the wellbutrin at 6am then go back to bed. When I get up at 8, I already have a lift from the Wellbutrin, one cup of coffee and absolutely no fatigue. Happy, less anxious, lost a few pounds and no sexual problems. I love this combination, and don't feel a need to change or add anything. I am curious how a higher dose of Remeron would be now, but I would hate to lose the fabulous sleep effect I get now. I am guaranteed to sleep within 30 mins. Great meds!”

Learn more about Major Depressive Disorder