User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Mirtazapine Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 109 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Mirtazapine to treat Insomnia

"Want to be completely fair because I haven't been using the treatment for long. The one thing I will say is that for three of the first four days I have had THE most terrifying nightmares I've ever experienced, including 5 minutes ago. Started four days ago with an incredibly lucid dream about being at my mums side as she died of cancer, and just now a whole manor of horrifying scenarios which would cause me to 'wake up', but I was only waking up in the dream itself. The last dream left me completely unable to move for what felt like an eternity and I woke crying which I haven't never ever done. For context, I do dream every now and again, that I can remember. My dreams are normally fairly lucid but never really anything at all..."

Davey M (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"By far, mirtazapine has been the best medication I've ever taken for insomnia - and I've tried, perhaps, around 20 different supplements and prescription drugs for insomnia over the years. Be wary of some of the "warnings" that others have given; their individual side effects may not apply to you. If you have insomnia, give it a try. Everybody responds in their own, unique way. I did experience an increase in appetite at 30mg, but not at 15mg or 7.5mg - and that's all most people need if mirtazapine is taken for insomnia. Good luck to all of you!"

CalMark123 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take 15 mg of Mirtazapine 1 hour before going to bed and difficulty falling asleep is gone. Difficulty staying asleep is gone, and deep, refreshing sleep increase. I have felt no side-effects, its great for allergies too. So my rhinitis is in remission. Daytime mood is great. All in all this is the best drug for chronic insomnia/idiopathic insomnia. I have tried eszopiclone, zolpidem, diazem, alprazolam, trazodone, escitalopram, doxepin and Mirtazapine is the best of them. Best antidepressant ever and best hypnotic ever."

PraiseAdonai July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION!!! I have lost at least 50% of my hair! This is horrible. I've had no other changes but this medication."

jasminemeany July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have battled anxiety, worrying, can't shut my mind off insomnia for several years. I usually take .75 mg of Xanax at night to relax me & help me sleep but I am starting to require more and that bothers me. Last yr, my nurse practitioner started me on Remeron 15 mg but told me to take half and see how that goes. She says I can take it with a little bit of Xanax but I may want to take them within an hour of each other, not at the same time. Wow does this help for sleep and I only take less than half a tablet, just under 7.5 mg, sometimes a quarter of a tablet. I am sleeping better that's for sure and my mood has improved but I have noticed I crave carbs big time and I've put on some weight this past year.. well known side effect!"

Kaz411 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This med, at 15 mg, causes sleepiness within an hour. After 6 weeks I actually lost 1 kilo in weight, so weight gain isn't inevitable."

Slppp July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My GP prescribed this drug to me to help me sleep as I have Borderline personality disorder and OCD. I was to take 1 tablet a couple hours before bedtime; I done just that. Within an hour, I started to feel slightly paralyzed and severely slow like a sloth. By two hours I wasn't able to properly hold a sentence without slurring. I went to bed and felt like I fell asleep instantly. The next morning on the School run I was completely unable to get up. My child stayed home and watched tv next to me whilst I slept until 12pm. I awoke feeling severely slow and like I had severe depression. The effects lasted until the next morning. Anyhow I took half a tablet a week later and the same effects were there but not as severe. PLEASE BE CAREFUL."

Viper15 July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Bye bye insomnia. The good outweighs the bad for me at least. After having anxiety attacks after going so long without sleep, I am finally at peace. I am sleeping not much long after taking 7.5 mgs of Mirtazapin. The lucid dreams are a plus. I have woke up crying from nightmares (family member just passed) I am back to sleep within 10-20 minutes. These cravings suck I'm going to try to fight [some] urges. I came up with-drinking sixteen ounces of water before each time I stuff my face, and staying in motion. 3 pounds gained this month. The worst part in my opinion is getting up to start my day. I feel exhausted, craving more sleep. I push through that even if that means starting my day off slowly. I'M SLEEPING AGAIN!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Prescribed Mirt for chronic insomnia, difficulty with both falling and staying asleep. 15 mg was stimulating and caused jittery, anxious feeling. 7.5 mg. Helped moderately with staying asleep but did nothing for sleep onset - still tossing and turning for several hours. No weight gain or carb cravings, but routine blood work showed that triglycerides increased substantially and blood sugar (which has always been normal) rose to pre- diabetes level while on the Mirt. Did a quick two week taper and stopped the drug. Bottom Line: not effective for insomnia and caused alarming rise in blood sugar. Glad I caught this early and got off this drug."

TotaLitarian June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started taking this med at first prn for insomnia but then everyday due to stressful life events. At first it knocked me out stone cold and I slept good...but now just over a month of using it it does nothing for my insomnia. It just stopped working and I don't feel any better, I feel worse now because my insomnia has returned. Also, it does nothing for my mood but make me feel more aggressive. Food craving at first were insane, now that's gone. Overall, thumbs down."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"WEIGHT GAIN, WEIGHT GAIN, WEIGHT GAIN!!! SO many reviews talk about it, it's absolutely TRUE!!! Absolutely WORKS FOR SLEEPING. Now I use a combo of Dalmane (30 mg), Gabapentin (600 mg) & 15 mg Remeron (VERY careful re: Weight Gain Side Effect, gained 20 lbs in short order), dramatically increases your appetite for Carbs & Sugars & overall appetite (what they don't tell you is that they give this to patients in the hospital who won't eat to increase their appetite)"

ehmwww (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I loved this drug, it put's me to sleep so quick and peacefully. Unfortunately mirtazapine is great for putting on weight (is prescribed for anorexia) so I had to stop taking it being so unhappy with my body..."

Anna1119 May 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After being on Ambien for years, at least years, for sleep, I decided I hated the mental fog. My doctor prescribed Remeron. After several months of weight gain, I decided I had to lose the weight. I'm 6'5" and I went from 310 LBs to 360 LBs in a matter of three months. Crazy, I know! What I couldn't figure out was why I had an insatiable hunger. How bad was it? Usually, when I go out for wings, I order a ten piece. If I share an appetizer, I only eat 4; take 6 home for the next day. A few weeks ago, even after sharing an appetizer, I ate all ten wings, and when I got home I ate my wife's leftovers! So I ran out of Remeron and didn't get it refilled. After four days of being off it, my appetite is normal. Awful RX!!!"

Chris from Georgia (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I think this drug (15mg) significantly helped me with my insomnia initially. But I don't think it did anything for me beyond the first couple of weeks, as my insomnia began to rebound. I think this is a good SHORT-term drug; I would resist the temptation to take it for longer periods for the treatment of insomnia, since most of its sedation effects wear off within weeks (as with all sedatives)."

CAL_STUDENT (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My neurologist prescribed Mirtazapine to treat Insomnia.Initially, I took 7.5 mg two hours before bed I have developed a huge tolerance over time, so after 7 months I must take 45 mg to achieve the same effect. As far as its effectiveness is concerned, it has made me sleep like a baby. Despite same strange and vivid dreams which I find rather exciting than disturbing by the way, I have not experienced any severe side effects yet. Anyone experiencing weight gain due to the treatment MUST run to prevent obesity. Thats what I did to compensate for my increased appetite. I am still in good shape."

Al Bundy1988 May 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take 75mg every night with Lunesta, I have no side effects does increase appetite but I learned to control the bad eating habits at night. I enjoy getting a full nights rest."

Double AA May 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Yeah it helps with sleep and depression but in the end I WAS MORE DEPRESSED THAN EVER. gained 30 pounds in 2 1/2 months!!!! Unbelievable. I was always hungry and never felt full. I was wondering why I was gaining weight NON STOP til I finally looked it up a couple weeks ago and found out that this medicine is also used to treat ANOREXIA. if you're okay with gaining weight uncontrollably then go for it!!!"

Angelrae99 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"15mg per night cleared my depression up almost straight away. Not so reliable for the main issue (insomnia); Sometimes it works straight away an I sleep for nine hours straight and feel fine the next day. Sometimes it just puts me into a half-asleep trance in bed for a couple of hours and then I 'come to' and have to try and go to sleep all over again. Sometimes I feel incredibly sedated until the following afternoon. Sometimes I need half a zopiclone on top of this to nod off. Depression: 10/10. Insomnia: ??/10."

_Mikey1985 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed 15mg Mirtazapine a night after suffering from unexplained insomnia for 9 months. At first I was reluctant to take it because of the well documented weight gain. However I finally gave in as the insomnia was making my day to day life impossible. It's worked a treat although it did take several weeks to settle down. I've now been taking it for 8 months but 3 months ago I reduced the dosage to 7.5mg per night and I'm still sleeping ok. I would like to stop taking it eventually because I have gained over a stone in weight, which I'm not happy about but if it comes to a choice between living with extra weight or living with insomnia then I'll have to just try my hardest to lose weight whilst still taking the Mirtazapine."

ibugwen (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking this med for almost two years. It doesn't help with the insomnia because I still wake up. I gained over 100 pounds since being on this drug because of my increased appetite. I take 45 mgs at night. No other side effects other than the first few days I took it I had really bad restless legs."

Brittanynoelle19 April 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This med is great! Suffered from anxiety three years ago after worrying about my child which led to chronic insomnia and depression. Desperate to sleep and eat, doctor prescribed Remeron (Mirt brand) three years ago. From the first night, I had night after night of peaceful restorative sleep. It didn't help much with my depression so added lexapro and kept using remeron at night for sleep. 30 mg was too high and settled at 1/2 of a 15 mg tablet (scored tab can be cut in half). The lower the dose, the more sleeping affect and I don't get the munchies at 7.5 mg. Much better than ambien for those with chronic insomnia that must take something regularly to sleep. Never have a hangover from it and feel refreshed the next day."

Peachgal (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Take as prescribed, 1/2 when required for sleep. Helps to sleep, Strange dreams and recalls of conversation from months ago. Hangover and zombie feeling next day. Head to toe numbness, but ok. Just related . Don't take it all the time."

Vbfla69 March 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given 30mg. To help with my insomnia. ..and after hallucinating and heart palpitating all night...I was so zombied out all day long I can't function properly. ..I'm gonna lose my job, over this medication...I have to discontinue. I feel detached from my mind and body, my Dr.said lowering the dose will cause more sedation...any advice???"

Groggy fog (taken for less than 1 month) February 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Pros: I can sleep through the night & my appetite has come back Cons: All I want to eat are sweets & I eat more than normal I was prescribed mirtazapine by my psychiatrist because I was waking up every three hours during the night. I was never getting any true, restful sleep. Now, I sleep through the night with NO nightmares. Another reason he prescribed it to me is to gain some weight. I've always been skinny but I have battled with anorexia in the past. Recently, due to lack of appetite, I lost 5 pounds. I was already 120 pounds so I didn't have much to lose to begin with. I got my appetite back and I feel like a bottomless pit. I want sweets more than anything. I feel like I eat so much more than I did before I started this medication."

Matilda W. February 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Need to know why it gives me a headache"

Stupid ass (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2017