User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Mirtazapine Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 112 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Mirtazapine to treat Insomnia

"Took not even a full 15 mg tab one night for sleep issues..never again. Slept OK but lost entire following day through groggy dizzy bad humoured mood ..absolutely terrible the rest are in the bin .."

Dicce (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2017

"I didn't have much luck with this one. The first night I took 15 mg I slept through the night. After that, I could fall asleep for an hour or two but then would be up for 3 or so hours. The increase in appetite was a plus for me."

Mahuls (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2017

"Extremely effective at curing my insomnia. I struggled to sleep, probably due to anxiety related to my job/future for over a year. It took over 2 hours to sleep, and even then sometimes I couldn't. I was continually getting under 5 hours of sleep, and sometimes only 2 a night. It really cost me big time! If you are suffering from a similar case, give the drug a try. My appetite increased a lot, so I am expecting weight gain."

ajsim December 28, 2016

"I started mirtazapine a little over a month ago. I played with the dose at anywhere from 7.5 to 15 mg and settled on 3/4 of the 15 mg or about 11 mg as my sweet spot for getting anywhere from 7 to 8.5 hours a sleep a night. I have not gained weight on it and have had no side effects except for feeling a little groggy the first half hour after waking. I was able to successfully taper off Lunesta, which I had been taking for about six months after a bout with severe insomnia, with the Mirtazapine, and I prefer the more natural Mirtazapine sleep over the Lunesta. It also works every night without fail. Great drug for insomnia!"

nolongersleepless (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 20, 2016

"I have been using Mirtazapine for over 10 years, I started with a does of 15mg which worked wonderful with insomnia, however during the time of first using it I was suffering from anxiety, and my doctor up the dose to 30mg which I was on for a few years, until anxiety became worse, which he up the dose to 45mg which I found was to strong as I noticed that dizziness started to happen, so I halfed the dose of 45mg and it all settled down. The dose was a little low, so I went back to 30mg and have been on this dose for the last 6 years. I do not get side effects from this medication of weight gain, or dizziness and even photo sensitive, I have been on it for quite some time and do not plan on getting off it as it works wonderful."

Brightspark (taken for 10 years or more) December 18, 2016

"I tried it for one night it made me feel drugged- relaxed but drugged but unable to sleep. The next day I felt off all day, complete body soreness. I was a complete grump. I was on a short fuse that day. I felt drugged the whole day, I have been take Ambien CR for about four years now and it is the only sleep medication that works for me. Mirtazapine I had a really bad reaction it isn't for me."

Beckie1989 December 8, 2016

"Just been prescribed these as I have just had a manic episode with anxiety and insomnia. At first I was frightened to take them and had the prescription sitting for two weeks, the gp said getting some sleep will help with recovery. These definitely knock you out at 15mg. This is the third night and I feel rested although drugged throughout the day, having some amazing dreams.All my body feels calm and just relaxed which is an absolute godsend after the last few weeks. There is no way I could drive so I will have to contact the doc as I won't be able to take these when I go back to work. I developed a bad reaction to sertraline which I had taken for a couple of years, alongside lamotrigine and quetiapine for bipolar. I would recommend these."

Clairabelle December 5, 2016

"I've been on it for 8 months after dentist told me I was grinding teeth at night. Post lymphoma cancer patient so its been a rough few years. Am on 15mg tabs Its been fine but after 4 months notice its getting harder to lose weight. Not sure if its my age, 59, or partly the medication. My worry is getting off it. I tend to go colder turkey and have noticed I don't sleep well when I stop. And have vivid dreams for a while. I do sleep better when on it, but it does change the feeling of connection with things around me. Only slight but noticeable. I find it a bit worrying to be reliant on a pill and am seeing its going to take a while to get off it. Although not addictive I can see it can be emotionally addictive."

Plymatic December 4, 2016

"I suffered a neurotoxic reaction to another drug, metronidazole; it caused lesions for form on my brain. This led to neuropsychiatric symptoms, including severe anxiety, major depression, suicidal thoughts (just a month before, I was happy), and horrible insomnia. I was given mirtazapine and it greatly helped, especially the insomnia. I had barely slept for eight days--even Ambien couldn't knock me out after the first night (I'd never taken a sleeping pill in my life and even Ambien couldn't help). Mirtazapine was a life-saver, literally. Metronidazole had overstimulated my central nervous system and mirtazapine helped to calm it down. It took longer to treat the other symptoms, but they, too, resolved."

RienJ (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 1, 2016

"I started taking this when I was coming off Valium. I was getting 3 hours of sleep and waking in cold sweats. I added mirtazapine and I started getting a full 8 hours. Small doses of this work better for sleep than larger doses. Prescribed 7.5 mg but found my "sweet spot" at about 5mg after chiseling off a little bit of the pill. This is excellent for sleep. Some people can get great sleep on 3.75 mg. The higher doses are used more as an antidepressant. If you are suffering from insomnia I would definitely give this a try."

Geddy Lifeson (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 1, 2016

"I am taking 7.5mg Remeron. It works like a charm. It takes at least two weeks for the medication to work for insommia. I usually take the medication half an hour before the bedtime and it helps me to sleep straight throughout the night."

Anonymous November 17, 2016

"I was prescribed 15mg as a sleep aid due to my concerns with taking zopaclone frequently. That dosage was too high for me and I am now taking 1-2mg once a week but it does make feel out of it the next day with some short term memory issues. As a sleep aid even that small dosage helps for a second night. I am wondering if more frequent use might moderate this side effect but do not have the opportunity to experiment due to work demands."

bpotti October 22, 2016

"I've been prescribed 30 ml mirtrazapine for the last 4-5 months for my insomnia, to start with I slept for days and days it felt like I never could come round from them, after a few weeks of taking them my body got used to the drug and I slept the best I have done in years but it took a few hours each morning to come round and also I felt really snappy and had a short fuse, after coming round though I've felt happy and myself again and everyone I've spoke to says how much better I'm doing and my body language has improved greatly, in the recent weeks though I've started to wake up during the night again and felt short tempered in the mornings, and some days I struggle to come round like a kinda hang over but most days I still feel very good hungry"

The sleepless one (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 18, 2016

"zolpidem means i'll get some sleep but not much. first time i took remeron didnt sleep a wink though i felt the drowsiness. zombie in the morning. clonazepam made me feel normal. second time i took it with half a zolpidem with clonazepam 4 hours before, slept my first full 8 hours in 20 years. next night no clonazepam, still slept but woke up every sleep cycle. last night by itself 1.5 hours sleep. varies greatly. does not stop my mind from running full speed."

gimmesleep (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2016

"My doctor prescribed mirtazapine 15 mg. every night at bedtime to replace the Ambien 10 mg. due to all the hoopla about combining Ambien with opioid medications. So far the mirtazapine has NOT been effective in giving me a full night of uninterrupted sleep like Ambien did. Also I have to weird/bizarre dreams since taking the mirtazapine. When I talked with my doctor about it, she prescribed another sleep aid that has a copay of $156.00!! So I will have to settle for what the mirtazapine offers as I had to choose between Ambien and my narcotic pain medication for my chronic back pain. Sigh..."

gigijlooyahoo September 24, 2016

"I've been on 15mg of Mirtazapine for about 8 years. I was put on this medicine for insomnia. It works perfectly 99% of the time as long as I take it about 1.5 before after eating. If I eat anything later, it doesn't work. It has not increased my appetite, however when I was first put on it, I was on 45mg, which did make me hungry. I have a 3.5 year old who goes to preschool at 8, but gets up around 5. I go to bed at 7. I stop eating at 4, take my meds at 5:30, and by 7 I fall asleep pretty quickly. If I eat after 4, the medicine will not put me to sleep. I have to take Ambien."

jasonx80 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 13, 2016

"Ive been in recovery from opiods for 14 months( which my dr prescribed for chronic hip bursitis. worse thing ever), anyways,I take 15mg of remeron and sleep like a rock. I take it 1 hr before bed, and I don't wake up once in the night. I used to toss and turn from pain every 1hour and woke up exhausted. Now I sleep straight through and my anxiety is gone. I never considered myself a depressed person, but I can say my mood is even better. If you cant sleep, I would def recommend this!"

yesss September 9, 2016

"It does not work for me for insomnia."

Bilgewater (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 29, 2016

"I started this medication (7.5 mg) to treat insomnia that my psychiatrist thought was due to underlying anxiety disorder. Like others, I felt very dopey and groggy out the first 4-5 days. Have now been on the medication for 2 weeks and this has abated, but still with lower energy level during daytime. I have found that a Claritin-D in the AM reverses this feeling as well as reversing the increased appetite. Insomnia is improved - still a few days with difficulty falling asleep, but once I'm asleep I'm out until my alarm goes off."

Jason81 August 22, 2016

"I've been prescribed mirtazapine for the last 12 months now. It certainly helps me sleep and I can sleep for 12 hours easily.. Only criticism I have is the grogginess and drowsiness the next morning. That lasts for around an hour. For some reason I crave junk food whilst I'm taking it. So I can see why people can gain weight. I gained a stone, but being disciplined and exercising has changed that. I can't say I feel any different taking it re depression, however it is very effective for insomnia."

Jasminedee (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 5, 2016

"I've had a very strange experience with this medication. I've been suffering from chronic insomnia for a couple of years now - I've been prescribed every sleeping aid under the sun. Having had bad experiences with most tablets - Zopiclone (evil stuff - always feel irritable and miserable after taking it), Trazadone (spaced out, constipated with a really dry mouth!), antihistamines (don't work at all), Zolpidem (fall asleep for 2 hours, wake up and can't go back to sleep) Anyway, you get the picture! When I take Mirtazapine (7.5mg) I fall asleep roughly 30 mins later and sleep for a solid 9 hours! Sounds good....however, the next day I feel SO weird...detached from reality to the point where I can't function on any level :-("

Lozenger_85 July 4, 2016

"I find a few crumbs of mirtzapine a great aid to sleep. I can get about 10 doses out of a 30mg tablet. I tend to use it at weekend as it sometimes leaves me a little drowsy the next day. I was originally prescribed 30 mg daily for depression but found that way too heavy. Now it's just occasional use if I've not been sleeping too well. But super small doses are effective for sleep and you can avoid the side effects."

Jellbean June 11, 2016

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was prescribed Remeron at 7.5 mg for persistent insomnia. I have had episodic insomnia for years - usually of comparatively brief duration (3 mos) and occurring following a major life change ( I.e. Death of parents, job loss, etc.). A short course of Zopiclone did the trick in those cases, but this time things were different. Over the course of many months my sleep quality and duration changed significantly. Despite a good sleep hygiene practice, I was taking 2+ hours to get to sleep; awakening 2-3 times/nite; and getting less than 4 hours sleep. Remeron began working for me from the first night and has improved in effectiveness over time. I take it 1 hour before bed; fall asleep in 30 mins or so; stay asleep all night; awaken naturally"

Shazzeryyc (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2016

"I started taking this drug 5-6 years ago. At first, it made me really dizzy like I was going to pass out. It still makes me dizzy, but I had really bad insomniac where I would hear people when I was sleeping. Plus, I used to be anorexic. Like I was 60 65 lbs before taking this. I was on 30 mg of this drug and it made me throw up. I have always been tired even before taking this drug, so that doesn't bother me. I am now on 7.5 mg and it works great except that sometimes I cannot sleep. When I have alcohol on the weekends and at night I take this drug, I sleep really well. Sometimes I still feel dizzy but I do not feel like I could pass out. My hands have always shaked even before taking this pill."

Anonymous May 21, 2016

"15mg was too stimulating (actually made me feel jittery) but 7.5 did help me fall asleep faster and sleep longer. Stopped working at all after a few months so I'm tapering off. I did not experience any increase in appetite, though I did gain a few pounds (which I was able to lose while on the Mirt.). Side effects were tolerable: dry mouth, slight headache. I confess that I'm jealous that so many people find this med super sedating - it just didn't work that way for me!"

Stillsleepless (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 13, 2016