User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Mirtazapine Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 109 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Mirtazapine to treat Insomnia

"After being on Ambien for years, at least years, for sleep, I decided I hated the mental fog. My doctor prescribed Remeron. After several months of weight gain, I decided I had to lose the weight. I'm 6'5" and I went from 310 LBs to 360 LBs in a matter of three months. Crazy, I know! What I couldn't figure out was why I had an insatiable hunger. How bad was it? Usually, when I go out for wings, I order a ten piece. If I share an appetizer, I only eat 4; take 6 home for the next day. A few weeks ago, even after sharing an appetizer, I ate all ten wings, and when I got home I ate my wife's leftovers! So I ran out of Remeron and didn't get it refilled. After four days of being off it, my appetite is normal. Awful RX!!!"

Chris from Georgia (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I think this drug (15mg) significantly helped me with my insomnia initially. But I don't think it did anything for me beyond the first couple of weeks, as my insomnia began to rebound. I think this is a good SHORT-term drug; I would resist the temptation to take it for longer periods for the treatment of insomnia, since most of its sedation effects wear off within weeks (as with all sedatives)."

CAL_STUDENT (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 18, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My neurologist prescribed Mirtazapine to treat Insomnia.Initially, I took 7.5 mg two hours before bed I have developed a huge tolerance over time, so after 7 months I must take 45 mg to achieve the same effect. As far as its effectiveness is concerned, it has made me sleep like a baby. Despite same strange and vivid dreams which I find rather exciting than disturbing by the way, I have not experienced any severe side effects yet. Anyone experiencing weight gain due to the treatment MUST run to prevent obesity. Thats what I did to compensate for my increased appetite. I am still in good shape."

Al Bundy1988 May 17, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I take 75mg every night with Lunesta, I have no side effects does increase appetite but I learned to control the bad eating habits at night. I enjoy getting a full nights rest."

Double AA May 8, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Yeah it helps with sleep and depression but in the end I WAS MORE DEPRESSED THAN EVER. gained 30 pounds in 2 1/2 months!!!! Unbelievable. I was always hungry and never felt full. I was wondering why I was gaining weight NON STOP til I finally looked it up a couple weeks ago and found out that this medicine is also used to treat ANOREXIA. if you're okay with gaining weight uncontrollably then go for it!!!"

Angelrae99 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"15mg per night cleared my depression up almost straight away. Not so reliable for the main issue (insomnia); Sometimes it works straight away an I sleep for nine hours straight and feel fine the next day. Sometimes it just puts me into a half-asleep trance in bed for a couple of hours and then I 'come to' and have to try and go to sleep all over again. Sometimes I feel incredibly sedated until the following afternoon. Sometimes I need half a zopiclone on top of this to nod off. Depression: 10/10. Insomnia: ??/10."

_Mikey1985 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed 15mg Mirtazapine a night after suffering from unexplained insomnia for 9 months. At first I was reluctant to take it because of the well documented weight gain. However I finally gave in as the insomnia was making my day to day life impossible. It's worked a treat although it did take several weeks to settle down. I've now been taking it for 8 months but 3 months ago I reduced the dosage to 7.5mg per night and I'm still sleeping ok. I would like to stop taking it eventually because I have gained over a stone in weight, which I'm not happy about but if it comes to a choice between living with extra weight or living with insomnia then I'll have to just try my hardest to lose weight whilst still taking the Mirtazapine."

ibugwen (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 5, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking this med for almost two years. It doesn't help with the insomnia because I still wake up. I gained over 100 pounds since being on this drug because of my increased appetite. I take 45 mgs at night. No other side effects other than the first few days I took it I had really bad restless legs."

Brittanynoelle19 April 2, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This med is great! Suffered from anxiety three years ago after worrying about my child which led to chronic insomnia and depression. Desperate to sleep and eat, doctor prescribed Remeron (Mirt brand) three years ago. From the first night, I had night after night of peaceful restorative sleep. It didn't help much with my depression so added lexapro and kept using remeron at night for sleep. 30 mg was too high and settled at 1/2 of a 15 mg tablet (scored tab can be cut in half). The lower the dose, the more sleeping affect and I don't get the munchies at 7.5 mg. Much better than ambien for those with chronic insomnia that must take something regularly to sleep. Never have a hangover from it and feel refreshed the next day."

Peachgal (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 28, 2017

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Take as prescribed, 1/2 when required for sleep. Helps to sleep, Strange dreams and recalls of conversation from months ago. Hangover and zombie feeling next day. Head to toe numbness, but ok. Just related . Don't take it all the time."

Vbfla69 March 26, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was given 30mg. To help with my insomnia. ..and after hallucinating and heart palpitating all night...I was so zombied out all day long I can't function properly. ..I'm gonna lose my job, over this medication...I have to discontinue. I feel detached from my mind and body, my Dr.said lowering the dose will cause more sedation...any advice???"

Groggy fog (taken for less than 1 month) February 16, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Pros: I can sleep through the night & my appetite has come back Cons: All I want to eat are sweets & I eat more than normal I was prescribed mirtazapine by my psychiatrist because I was waking up every three hours during the night. I was never getting any true, restful sleep. Now, I sleep through the night with NO nightmares. Another reason he prescribed it to me is to gain some weight. I've always been skinny but I have battled with anorexia in the past. Recently, due to lack of appetite, I lost 5 pounds. I was already 120 pounds so I didn't have much to lose to begin with. I got my appetite back and I feel like a bottomless pit. I want sweets more than anything. I feel like I eat so much more than I did before I started this medication."

Matilda W. February 7, 2017

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Need to know why it gives me a headache"

Stupid ass (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on Effexor XR for years to treat depression and klonopin for anxiety but didn't sleep at night. Dr added Remeron to the mix. I took it for almost a month. Tho it did help me sleep, caused severe hangover next day and zombie like all day. Stopped taking it. Dr convinced me to try again. I did, ended up with sudden onset hypertension and tachycardia. Passed out, had to be taken to emergency care. Blood pressure dropped rapidly as did my heart rate. This is known as blood pressure lability. Can never take this med again. Still suffering affects, pounding headache, vision issues and can't get my blood pressure stabilized. Terrible for me! Never again!"

Karen Weiser (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 5, 2017

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took not even a full 15 mg tab one night for sleep issues..never again. Slept OK but lost entire following day through groggy dizzy bad humoured mood ..absolutely terrible the rest are in the bin .."

Dicce (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2017

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I didn't have much luck with this one. The first night I took 15 mg I slept through the night. After that, I could fall asleep for an hour or two but then would be up for 3 or so hours. The increase in appetite was a plus for me."

Mahuls (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Extremely effective at curing my insomnia. I struggled to sleep, probably due to anxiety related to my job/future for over a year. It took over 2 hours to sleep, and even then sometimes I couldn't. I was continually getting under 5 hours of sleep, and sometimes only 2 a night. It really cost me big time! If you are suffering from a similar case, give the drug a try. My appetite increased a lot, so I am expecting weight gain."

ajsim December 28, 2016

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started mirtazapine a little over a month ago. I played with the dose at anywhere from 7.5 to 15 mg and settled on 3/4 of the 15 mg or about 11 mg as my sweet spot for getting anywhere from 7 to 8.5 hours a sleep a night. I have not gained weight on it and have had no side effects except for feeling a little groggy the first half hour after waking. I was able to successfully taper off Lunesta, which I had been taking for about six months after a bout with severe insomnia, with the Mirtazapine, and I prefer the more natural Mirtazapine sleep over the Lunesta. It also works every night without fail. Great drug for insomnia!"

nolongersleepless (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 20, 2016

49 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been using Mirtazapine for over 10 years, I started with a does of 15mg which worked wonderful with insomnia, however during the time of first using it I was suffering from anxiety, and my doctor up the dose to 30mg which I was on for a few years, until anxiety became worse, which he up the dose to 45mg which I found was to strong as I noticed that dizziness started to happen, so I halfed the dose of 45mg and it all settled down. The dose was a little low, so I went back to 30mg and have been on this dose for the last 6 years. I do not get side effects from this medication of weight gain, or dizziness and even photo sensitive, I have been on it for quite some time and do not plan on getting off it as it works wonderful."

Brightspark (taken for 10 years or more) December 18, 2016

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I tried it for one night it made me feel drugged- relaxed but drugged but unable to sleep. The next day I felt off all day, complete body soreness. I was a complete grump. I was on a short fuse that day. I felt drugged the whole day, I have been take Ambien CR for about four years now and it is the only sleep medication that works for me. Mirtazapine I had a really bad reaction it isn't for me."

Beckie1989 December 8, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Just been prescribed these as I have just had a manic episode with anxiety and insomnia. At first I was frightened to take them and had the prescription sitting for two weeks, the gp said getting some sleep will help with recovery. These definitely knock you out at 15mg. This is the third night and I feel rested although drugged throughout the day, having some amazing dreams.All my body feels calm and just relaxed which is an absolute godsend after the last few weeks. There is no way I could drive so I will have to contact the doc as I won't be able to take these when I go back to work. I developed a bad reaction to sertraline which I had taken for a couple of years, alongside lamotrigine and quetiapine for bipolar. I would recommend these."

Clairabelle December 5, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on it for 8 months after dentist told me I was grinding teeth at night. Post lymphoma cancer patient so its been a rough few years. Am on 15mg tabs Its been fine but after 4 months notice its getting harder to lose weight. Not sure if its my age, 59, or partly the medication. My worry is getting off it. I tend to go colder turkey and have noticed I don't sleep well when I stop. And have vivid dreams for a while. I do sleep better when on it, but it does change the feeling of connection with things around me. Only slight but noticeable. I find it a bit worrying to be reliant on a pill and am seeing its going to take a while to get off it. Although not addictive I can see it can be emotionally addictive."

Plymatic December 4, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I suffered a neurotoxic reaction to another drug, metronidazole; it caused lesions for form on my brain. This led to neuropsychiatric symptoms, including severe anxiety, major depression, suicidal thoughts (just a month before, I was happy), and horrible insomnia. I was given mirtazapine and it greatly helped, especially the insomnia. I had barely slept for eight days--even Ambien couldn't knock me out after the first night (I'd never taken a sleeping pill in my life and even Ambien couldn't help). Mirtazapine was a life-saver, literally. Metronidazole had overstimulated my central nervous system and mirtazapine helped to calm it down. It took longer to treat the other symptoms, but they, too, resolved."

RienJ (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 1, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking this when I was coming off Valium. I was getting 3 hours of sleep and waking in cold sweats. I added mirtazapine and I started getting a full 8 hours. Small doses of this work better for sleep than larger doses. Prescribed 7.5 mg but found my "sweet spot" at about 5mg after chiseling off a little bit of the pill. This is excellent for sleep. Some people can get great sleep on 3.75 mg. The higher doses are used more as an antidepressant. If you are suffering from insomnia I would definitely give this a try."

Geddy Lifeson (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 1, 2016

41 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am taking 7.5mg Remeron. It works like a charm. It takes at least two weeks for the medication to work for insommia. I usually take the medication half an hour before the bedtime and it helps me to sleep straight throughout the night."

Anonymous November 17, 2016