User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Mirtazapine Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 111 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Mirtazapine to treat Insomnia

"Take as prescribed, 1/2 when required for sleep. Helps to sleep, Strange dreams and recalls of conversation from months ago. Hangover and zombie feeling next day. Head to toe numbness, but ok. Just related . Don't take it all the time."

Vbfla69 March 26, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was given 30mg. To help with my insomnia. ..and after hallucinating and heart palpitating all night...I was so zombied out all day long I can't function properly. ..I'm gonna lose my job, over this medication...I have to discontinue. I feel detached from my mind and body, my Dr.said lowering the dose will cause more sedation...any advice???"

Groggy fog (taken for less than 1 month) February 16, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Pros: I can sleep through the night & my appetite has come back Cons: All I want to eat are sweets & I eat more than normal I was prescribed mirtazapine by my psychiatrist because I was waking up every three hours during the night. I was never getting any true, restful sleep. Now, I sleep through the night with NO nightmares. Another reason he prescribed it to me is to gain some weight. I've always been skinny but I have battled with anorexia in the past. Recently, due to lack of appetite, I lost 5 pounds. I was already 120 pounds so I didn't have much to lose to begin with. I got my appetite back and I feel like a bottomless pit. I want sweets more than anything. I feel like I eat so much more than I did before I started this medication."

Matilda W. February 7, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Need to know why it gives me a headache"

Stupid ass (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on Effexor XR for years to treat depression and klonopin for anxiety but didn't sleep at night. Dr added Remeron to the mix. I took it for almost a month. Tho it did help me sleep, caused severe hangover next day and zombie like all day. Stopped taking it. Dr convinced me to try again. I did, ended up with sudden onset hypertension and tachycardia. Passed out, had to be taken to emergency care. Blood pressure dropped rapidly as did my heart rate. This is known as blood pressure lability. Can never take this med again. Still suffering affects, pounding headache, vision issues and can't get my blood pressure stabilized. Terrible for me! Never again!"

Karen Weiser (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 5, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took not even a full 15 mg tab one night for sleep issues..never again. Slept OK but lost entire following day through groggy dizzy bad humoured mood ..absolutely terrible the rest are in the bin .."

Dicce (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I didn't have much luck with this one. The first night I took 15 mg I slept through the night. After that, I could fall asleep for an hour or two but then would be up for 3 or so hours. The increase in appetite was a plus for me."

Mahuls (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Extremely effective at curing my insomnia. I struggled to sleep, probably due to anxiety related to my job/future for over a year. It took over 2 hours to sleep, and even then sometimes I couldn't. I was continually getting under 5 hours of sleep, and sometimes only 2 a night. It really cost me big time! If you are suffering from a similar case, give the drug a try. My appetite increased a lot, so I am expecting weight gain."

ajsim December 28, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started mirtazapine a little over a month ago. I played with the dose at anywhere from 7.5 to 15 mg and settled on 3/4 of the 15 mg or about 11 mg as my sweet spot for getting anywhere from 7 to 8.5 hours a sleep a night. I have not gained weight on it and have had no side effects except for feeling a little groggy the first half hour after waking. I was able to successfully taper off Lunesta, which I had been taking for about six months after a bout with severe insomnia, with the Mirtazapine, and I prefer the more natural Mirtazapine sleep over the Lunesta. It also works every night without fail. Great drug for insomnia!"

nolongersleepless (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 20, 2016

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been using Mirtazapine for over 10 years, I started with a does of 15mg which worked wonderful with insomnia, however during the time of first using it I was suffering from anxiety, and my doctor up the dose to 30mg which I was on for a few years, until anxiety became worse, which he up the dose to 45mg which I found was to strong as I noticed that dizziness started to happen, so I halfed the dose of 45mg and it all settled down. The dose was a little low, so I went back to 30mg and have been on this dose for the last 6 years. I do not get side effects from this medication of weight gain, or dizziness and even photo sensitive, I have been on it for quite some time and do not plan on getting off it as it works wonderful."

Brightspark (taken for 10 years or more) December 18, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I tried it for one night it made me feel drugged- relaxed but drugged but unable to sleep. The next day I felt off all day, complete body soreness. I was a complete grump. I was on a short fuse that day. I felt drugged the whole day, I have been take Ambien CR for about four years now and it is the only sleep medication that works for me. Mirtazapine I had a really bad reaction it isn't for me."

Beckie1989 December 8, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Just been prescribed these as I have just had a manic episode with anxiety and insomnia. At first I was frightened to take them and had the prescription sitting for two weeks, the gp said getting some sleep will help with recovery. These definitely knock you out at 15mg. This is the third night and I feel rested although drugged throughout the day, having some amazing dreams.All my body feels calm and just relaxed which is an absolute godsend after the last few weeks. There is no way I could drive so I will have to contact the doc as I won't be able to take these when I go back to work. I developed a bad reaction to sertraline which I had taken for a couple of years, alongside lamotrigine and quetiapine for bipolar. I would recommend these."

Clairabelle December 5, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on it for 8 months after dentist told me I was grinding teeth at night. Post lymphoma cancer patient so its been a rough few years. Am on 15mg tabs Its been fine but after 4 months notice its getting harder to lose weight. Not sure if its my age, 59, or partly the medication. My worry is getting off it. I tend to go colder turkey and have noticed I don't sleep well when I stop. And have vivid dreams for a while. I do sleep better when on it, but it does change the feeling of connection with things around me. Only slight but noticeable. I find it a bit worrying to be reliant on a pill and am seeing its going to take a while to get off it. Although not addictive I can see it can be emotionally addictive."

Plymatic December 4, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I suffered a neurotoxic reaction to another drug, metronidazole; it caused lesions for form on my brain. This led to neuropsychiatric symptoms, including severe anxiety, major depression, suicidal thoughts (just a month before, I was happy), and horrible insomnia. I was given mirtazapine and it greatly helped, especially the insomnia. I had barely slept for eight days--even Ambien couldn't knock me out after the first night (I'd never taken a sleeping pill in my life and even Ambien couldn't help). Mirtazapine was a life-saver, literally. Metronidazole had overstimulated my central nervous system and mirtazapine helped to calm it down. It took longer to treat the other symptoms, but they, too, resolved."

RienJ (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 1, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking this when I was coming off Valium. I was getting 3 hours of sleep and waking in cold sweats. I added mirtazapine and I started getting a full 8 hours. Small doses of this work better for sleep than larger doses. Prescribed 7.5 mg but found my "sweet spot" at about 5mg after chiseling off a little bit of the pill. This is excellent for sleep. Some people can get great sleep on 3.75 mg. The higher doses are used more as an antidepressant. If you are suffering from insomnia I would definitely give this a try."

Geddy Lifeson (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 1, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am taking 7.5mg Remeron. It works like a charm. It takes at least two weeks for the medication to work for insommia. I usually take the medication half an hour before the bedtime and it helps me to sleep straight throughout the night."

Anonymous November 17, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed 15mg as a sleep aid due to my concerns with taking zopaclone frequently. That dosage was too high for me and I am now taking 1-2mg once a week but it does make feel out of it the next day with some short term memory issues. As a sleep aid even that small dosage helps for a second night. I am wondering if more frequent use might moderate this side effect but do not have the opportunity to experiment due to work demands."

bpotti October 22, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been prescribed 30 ml mirtrazapine for the last 4-5 months for my insomnia, to start with I slept for days and days it felt like I never could come round from them, after a few weeks of taking them my body got used to the drug and I slept the best I have done in years but it took a few hours each morning to come round and also I felt really snappy and had a short fuse, after coming round though I've felt happy and myself again and everyone I've spoke to says how much better I'm doing and my body language has improved greatly, in the recent weeks though I've started to wake up during the night again and felt short tempered in the mornings, and some days I struggle to come round like a kinda hang over but most days I still feel very good hungry"

The sleepless one (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 18, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"zolpidem means i'll get some sleep but not much. first time i took remeron didnt sleep a wink though i felt the drowsiness. zombie in the morning. clonazepam made me feel normal. second time i took it with half a zolpidem with clonazepam 4 hours before, slept my first full 8 hours in 20 years. next night no clonazepam, still slept but woke up every sleep cycle. last night by itself 1.5 hours sleep. varies greatly. does not stop my mind from running full speed."

gimmesleep (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My doctor prescribed mirtazapine 15 mg. every night at bedtime to replace the Ambien 10 mg. due to all the hoopla about combining Ambien with opioid medications. So far the mirtazapine has NOT been effective in giving me a full night of uninterrupted sleep like Ambien did. Also I have to weird/bizarre dreams since taking the mirtazapine. When I talked with my doctor about it, she prescribed another sleep aid that has a copay of $156.00!! So I will have to settle for what the mirtazapine offers as I had to choose between Ambien and my narcotic pain medication for my chronic back pain. Sigh..."

gigijlooyahoo September 24, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on 15mg of Mirtazapine for about 8 years. I was put on this medicine for insomnia. It works perfectly 99% of the time as long as I take it about 1.5 before after eating. If I eat anything later, it doesn't work. It has not increased my appetite, however when I was first put on it, I was on 45mg, which did make me hungry. I have a 3.5 year old who goes to preschool at 8, but gets up around 5. I go to bed at 7. I stop eating at 4, take my meds at 5:30, and by 7 I fall asleep pretty quickly. If I eat after 4, the medicine will not put me to sleep. I have to take Ambien."

jasonx80 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 13, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Ive been in recovery from opiods for 14 months( which my dr prescribed for chronic hip bursitis. worse thing ever), anyways,I take 15mg of remeron and sleep like a rock. I take it 1 hr before bed, and I don't wake up once in the night. I used to toss and turn from pain every 1hour and woke up exhausted. Now I sleep straight through and my anxiety is gone. I never considered myself a depressed person, but I can say my mood is even better. If you cant sleep, I would def recommend this!"

yesss September 9, 2016

50 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It does not work for me for insomnia."

Bilgewater (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 29, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started this medication (7.5 mg) to treat insomnia that my psychiatrist thought was due to underlying anxiety disorder. Like others, I felt very dopey and groggy out the first 4-5 days. Have now been on the medication for 2 weeks and this has abated, but still with lower energy level during daytime. I have found that a Claritin-D in the AM reverses this feeling as well as reversing the increased appetite. Insomnia is improved - still a few days with difficulty falling asleep, but once I'm asleep I'm out until my alarm goes off."

Jason81 August 22, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been prescribed mirtazapine for the last 12 months now. It certainly helps me sleep and I can sleep for 12 hours easily.. Only criticism I have is the grogginess and drowsiness the next morning. That lasts for around an hour. For some reason I crave junk food whilst I'm taking it. So I can see why people can gain weight. I gained a stone, but being disciplined and exercising has changed that. I can't say I feel any different taking it re depression, however it is very effective for insomnia."

Jasminedee (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 5, 2016