User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Mirtazapine Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 107 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Mirtazapine to treat Insomnia

"I take this medication at a low dose (7.5 mg) at bedtime for sleep. When I take it, I average about 7 hours and 40 minutes per night. When I don't, I sleep an average of 6 hours 30 minutes per night. That means some nights I'll sleep 7 hours and others, 6 hours. Not sleeping well makes me anxious and all I can think about is wanting to sleep. With this medication, I almost always sleep well. When I am not working (between contracts), I can sometimes sleep well without it, but with a full-time work schedule, I find this med makes all the difference. At a low dose, it doesn't cause weight gain either."

marchwinds (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Struggling with insomnia caused by severe MDD, this stuff puts you in sleep like no other. BUT, I gained 30Ibs!!! It made me even more depressed.I f you have the same problem, I suggest you to talk to your doctor .Hope this helped!"

Emasaksocark (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was a lifelong insomniac. Used over-the-counter crud. Slept fitfully and felt drugged all day. I now take 15mg to 30 mg of mirtazapine and sleep soundly for a solid eight hours. Feel refreshed all next day. But, boy, it does give you the munchies almost right after taking it."

Sleepless on NJ (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My son's doctor gave him this medicine. He has autism and it's suppose to help him sleep. He has been going to sleep at 12 or 1 and waking up at 4 and 5 in the morning. Not sleeping all day. May take a nap for 1 to 2 hours. Then back running like a track star. I wouldn't be surprised if I came home from work one day and he is running up and down the walls."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Consider mirtzapine if you have intractable insomnia. I'm a recovering alcoholic and my sleep patterns got thoroughly screwed up during my drinking years. Mirtzapine 30 milligrams provides the most natural sleep I have ever had in my life. I sleep for eight hours and wake refreshed the way I did when I was teenager. It's so much better than benzos. Doctors may be reluctant to prescribe because of the chance of weight gain. I did gain weight because it gave me the munchies. But it levelled off at about a 7-pound gain. But it did level off!!! And you may feel completely zonked for the first two or three days. It's a good idea to start on the weekend. But again, the extreme drowsiness did disappear after a few days for me."

amyluv (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Remeron SolTab is the best drug out there for chronic idiopathic insomnia. Also the best antidepressant and anxiolytic. Good for stomach and acne too."

Carsondad (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This stuff knocked me out for two straight days. My wife had been calling for me and thought I was dead. It knocked me out Friday evening and I slept until she came home in a panic Sunday evening. Best sleep ever, totally recharged but too powerful and scary to continue using. Also caused me to lose inhibitions. Just didn't care."

BMCuser (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Absolutely great for me. It cured insomnia, I had better sleep, helps anxiety and depression. The lower dose gives increased sleep effect, and increased appetite (but its up to you whether you choose to eat everything you fancy..or not!)"

duckbilledplattypus October 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The only thing that truly works for idiopathic insomnia and chronic/childhood-onset insomnia. Take it 1 hour b4 bed. The most optimal dosage for chronic insomnia is 15mg, the effects halves by doubling it to 30mg and also halves by reducing it to 7.5mg, although some people may find 7.5mg optimal for long-term tapering."

ChristopherEvans1984 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor prescribed this for insomnia. I also take paroxetine for depression and anxiety, plus birth control meds for PMDD, and one tiny dose of Xanax before bed. This stuff was so intense, I can't quite believe I went through the experience. I rapidly gained 30 lbs.!!! I could not stop eating and didn't care even though I knew it wasn't good for me. I also slept all day as well as at night, often in what felt like a semi-awake state but without being able to move and super vivid, bizarre dreams."

Kjl3cats (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have suffered from diagnosed depression and anxiety for years. The last 6 months I have insomnia that keeps me awake all night. I have tried many meds with limited success I have now been put on 1/2 tab (7.5mg) for one week and then I am to go to the full 15mgs for one week and see my doctor. After my first 6 days I sleep all night and all day. I am retired, I do not like the all day dizziness and sleepy feeling. I am on other meds too and suffer from chronic vertigo related problems from a TBI (traumatic brain injury) I don't like being too sleepy during day time tho I will try the 2 week formula. the comments from others have been very helpful,TY."

balenced (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Mirtazapine for Insomnia. At first I thought the tablets was working well. Until I saw my weight increasing within 3 months from 63kg to 86kg and I also noticed that I battled to breath just after taking the tablet at night. Battling depression I am now faces with an image problem as well. Not a good tablet to use"

Yvlemach (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had 2 days on this drug for long term insomnia. Side effects were horrible. Walking around in a fog beyond dense. Can barely function. Much rather not sleep."

Anonymous September 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed 15 mg Remeron for insomnia. I will say that it worked to put me to sleep and keep me asleep, HOWEVER, I notice that I am super groggy in the morning even after a full night of sleep. It took me 3-4 hours to shake off the effects of the meds, which is definitely not ideal."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a leukemia patient and after all the meds I've been on and still are on sleep can be a challenge to say the least. I was originally put on 15 mg of Remeron at bedtime to help gain weight for Bone marrow transplantation (BMT) but found it helpful for sleep as well. After taking it for 2 years it started not to work as well, so now I take 1mg Ativan and 15 mg Remeron for sleep. It takes about 2-3 hours to kick in but I sleep an average of 8-9 hours a night. Cup of coffee after breakfast and I'm not groggy. Hope this somehow helps."

ENS74 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Knocks me out cold for 10 hours with no break in between. I wake up in the morning with my bladder ready to explode. But the sleep I got was not restful. I did not wake up feeling fresh. I started with 15mg and moved to 30mg after 2 weeks. It worked for 8 months that I took it. Then I stopped it to test myself. Have hardly slept in 2-1/2 months since then. May have to go back to Mirtazapine. But I am thinking of trying something else before I do that."

cant_sleep01 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Overall, I would rate 7.5mg of Mirtazapine two hours before bed as an awesome remedy for severe to extreme Insomnia, with little to no side effects. I had tried all kinds of sleep aids ranging from ambien to benzodiapines, with no effects. I am non to limited responder to Ativan and other benzos. Mirtazapine works great for me, I get 7-9hrs of sleep, but only when I use the 7.5mg orally disintegrating tablets from Aurobindo. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT use the regular tablets. They had very limited effect on me. Mirtazapine will cause some drowsiness if I do not get the full 9 hours of rest, or have to get up early. This is easily mitigated by vitamin b12/C powder. Mirtazapine sleep feels natural and refreshing."

JaMeS44538 August 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug has helped me immensely with sleep. I have been taking it for almost 3 weeks at 7.5mg. I got on it after a bad run with benzos. My insomnia was relentless insomnia from the withdrawals. Seroquel left me feeling gross. Mirtazapine has allowed me some relief by sleeping around 5 hours a night. Wish it was more but the insomnia from benzos is almost impenetrable and I just hope it improves in time!"

Dee_Dee1991 August 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Remeron is very good for what it's for. The only problem I have with it is that I have to be very active during the day for it to work (put me to sleep) when I take it at night. It can get very annoying at times but hopefully once school starts it'll work better."

mikasa720 August 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this medicine for the first time last night. I woke up several times, and when I woke up in the morning my nerve stress went up at least 3 times more, I was very angry . I will never take it again. I feel like the progress I made was erased."

Sharongu (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Taking 30mg daily now for insomnia. Best medicine I have ever taken for insomnia. When I took my first 30mg pill it worked great. Maybe too good. I slept 8 hours and if I didn't have any repsonsibilities it felt like I could sleep another 4 hours. I had to drag myself out of bed, but it still was a quality sleep. I started taking as needed but at lower does. 3.4mg, 7.5mg, 15mg. Seems to have a long half-life so some days I didn't take at all and it still worked. After awhile the effects started wearing off so I started taking 30mg every day for about a month now and it seems to be still working. I tried to increase to 45mg but at that dose it seems not work for sleep anymore. The maximum I can take for sleep is 30mg."

PKK July 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had anxiety issues off and on and knew that given I was a less stressful, more happy place I didn't need to be on serious medicine. However, I was still having a hard time going to sleep and then once I did staying asleep. I have chronic back pain and was feeling very strung out and more anxious from lack of sleep I think, so Doc = 15mg per night. I've been taking it for 4 mo now and while I cannot stay awake two hours after taking it for the life of me (a good thing!) I am always groggy when I wake up (takes 13hrs to get out of my system from once I take it). I'm way less anxious though. The downside is at night it makes me really hungry, and I noticed that I have to fight carb cravings in day. I gained 5 pounds, and I'm big"

biba7777 July 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking 15 mg Remeron (lately just 7.5mg) for about 5 to 6 weeks primarily to help with insomnia since I was taking Ambien previously for 2 months and couldn't get any more of it and wanted to stop taking. The first few days the drug produced intense somnolence, lack of motor skills and impaired abilities. However, this went away after 3 days or so. It helped with sleep the first 2 to 3 weeks producing noticeable sedative effects but that has stopped since week 3. I have been a bit lazy as of late and also have gained 8-10 pound; the drug makes me crave carbs. I may stop taking the drug once my second prescription runs out due to the laziness and it no longer helps put me to sleep. I wake up very groggily still."

Markov Chains (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Want to be completely fair because I haven't been using the treatment for long. The one thing I will say is that for three of the first four days I have had THE most terrifying nightmares I've ever experienced, including 5 minutes ago. Started four days ago with an incredibly lucid dream about being at my mums side as she died of cancer, and just now a whole manor of horrifying scenarios which would cause me to 'wake up', but I was only waking up in the dream itself. The last dream left me completely unable to move for what felt like an eternity and I woke crying which I haven't never ever done. For context, I do dream every now and again, that I can remember. My dreams are normally fairly lucid but never really anything at all..."

Davey M (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"By far, mirtazapine has been the best medication I've ever taken for insomnia - and I've tried, perhaps, around 20 different supplements and prescription drugs for insomnia over the years. Be wary of some of the "warnings" that others have given; their individual side effects may not apply to you. If you have insomnia, give it a try. Everybody responds in their own, unique way. I did experience an increase in appetite at 30mg, but not at 15mg or 7.5mg - and that's all most people need if mirtazapine is taken for insomnia. Good luck to all of you!"

CalMark123 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 21, 2017