User Reviews for Mirtazapine to treat Insomnia

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Mirtazapine has an average rating of 7.0 out of 10 from a total of 389 ratings for the treatment of Insomnia. 59% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 20% reported a negative effect.

Mirtazapine Rating Summary

7.0/10 average rating

Compare all 81 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Mirtazapine

First Time Review January 29, 2021

“This is my honest review after being on it for roughly 8 months now for my Anxiety/Insomnia.. Its a life changer for the better. I was a big skeptic as probably you are who is reading it. For almost a month I would just be reading different reviews on different anti depressants as I would just avoid taking it due to online reviews etc. As a person who was probably in the same boat as you, I finally decided to take it after my breakdown over lack of sleep due to anxiety. I got the best night sleep I had in years and even helped with my anxiety heaps. I have continued to take it (while slowly increasing my dose) and I honestly never want to go back. It far outweighs the positive it has been on my personal life and to you who is reading it, it helped bring clarity over everything and been able to be the person version of myself. Please give it a shot if you are going through anxiety or insomnia as it was and still the best thing to it. Period.”

Georgia March 22, 2021

“I was suffering from chronic insomnia. No problem falling asleep around 9:30-10:00 pm but by 2 am I was wide awake & up for the day. I tried Trazadone 50mg once & it wiped me out. Then I tried a Valium 5mg tab & not very helpful either. I tried Melatonin 3mg & that was useless for me as well. I talked to my Dr & she prescribed Mirtazipine 7.5 mg. That dose totally wiped me out, so I skipped a day & took 1/2 of the 7.5 mg tablet. Once again it wiped me out & I tried a 1/4 tablet and that was just the right dose for me. I sleep well throughout the night but it does take some coffee in the am to get going. FYI it's the only pill I take other than occasional Tylenol or Motrin. Hope this helps someone out there.”

Marie December 2, 2020

“I went through a really difficult time due to having severe insomnia, I was sleeping between 0 - 2 hours every night for 3 months, no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't sleep. I've never felt exhaustion like it, I felt mentally and physically unwell. I was not myself at all, and I became incredibly anxious. I actually believe having had this experience that insomnia itself can be due to a chemical imbalance as it felt like my body was constantly in awake mode. I took a course of sleeping pills but they didn't work, I was then prescribed 15mg Mirtazapine, and they have helped me so much, I've been taking it for 7 months now. I began to feel calm and relaxed within a week on taking them. I was terrified of the side effects, but they were very short lived, I had a couple of nightmares to begin with... but at least I slept, a true nightmare is not sleeping. It really helps me to sleep, I sleep well every night now, and I feel great. I am truly thankful I took this medicine.”

eoacav · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 31, 2021

“My happy successful 29 year old son is dead because of Mirtazapine. He became suicidal after taking this medicine and committed suicide. How many others have died because of this medicine so that big pharma can continue to profit?”

Annth October 1, 2020

“Hey guys , I’ve been taking Remeron for around 3 years. Best thing I’ve ever done . From day one I was peacefully falling asleep without anxiety! I love it. It helps me feel happy, calm and ready for bed. In the beginning I felt kinda fatigued the next day. I certainly slept a lot at first but I needed it , I would sleep 10 hours! but with any drug it takes time to adjust to it! It’s been amazing ! I have not put on weight , at the start I was on a dose of 15 milligrams , I was getting the munchies very bad cut down to 7.5mg and the munchies stopped, but after while and some stress in my life I started not sleeping again. Been on 30mg now for around two years and it’s my perfect dose, yes I get the munchies , but I workout most days and just try hard not to go overboard with food but enjoy feeling good and a few treats. I have energy to burn now I get good sleep every night. It’s a dream come true . Thank you it’s chae .”

Me · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 24, 2021

“I was able to fall asleep in 15 minutes but I couldn't sleep through the night. If I woke up at 2am to use bathroom, that was it, I was awake and ready to go go go. I usually worked 8am - 8pm but after sleepless nights I was exhausted by noon. I tried Trazadone, Melatonin, Valium, & Benadryl, but nothing worked well for me. My doctor suggested mirtazapine so the first dose I took was 7.5mg and it knocked me out. A couple days later I cut the 15 mg pill in quarters and it was still too much for me. Now I cut a 7.5mg tab in 1/4 . So I'm basically taking a little under 2mg. I take it at 8pm, go to bed at 10pm and I sleep through the night without a groggy hangover. Works for me.”

Stefb · Taken for less than 1 month August 7, 2020

“Wow this med Remeron is a life saver for me. The sleep is deep and restorative. My dr had me take 7.5 and then I a week up it to 15 mg. Even 7.5 was a bit too much. So I’m cutting a 15 mg in quarters. Finally something that works for my insomnia. Make sure you take it early enough so you can get at least 8 hours. First night I slept 11.5 hours and could have slept longer. That’s why I’m cutting the 7.5 in half and see how that works for me.”

Sproey · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 9, 2020

“Yeah, I take mirtazapine for depression, it knocks me out every night (my dose is 45mg) but all night my brain is racing with weird dreams, I wake, it feels like I haven't slept at all. I can sleep for 12 hours + easily and feel like rubbish when I get out of bed. I don't know if its done anything for my depression/anxiety because I've been on them for a while. I take them with 30mg of diazepam a day. Yeah, I'm a total zombie. I always used to be slim, now, I'm really bloated, I think they make you crave sugar. I regret starting taking them, definitely. Stay away if you can.”

25yoinsomniac March 3, 2020

“I've been taking mirtazapine for almost a year. I've had insomnia since high school, and it's gotten worse the older I've gotten (I'm 25). I tried 4 different sleeping pills before this one, and started with 15mg dose of mirtazapine. It didn't seem to help at all, and I was still up all night and day. So I decided to take 2 at a time, and it actually worked great. I called my doctor and got switched to 30mg. I've seen a lot of reviews on here saying lower doses work best, but 30mg has worked best for me. I sleep through the night, and wake up feeling find. No grogginess, or dizziness. Just remember everyone reacts different. I've tried many different sleeping pills, and this one by far works the best, and it's super affordable. $12 for 3 month's supply? Done. (My doctor is one of those sticklers who wont prescribe anything that can be addictive like ambien.)”

Jones · Taken for less than 1 month March 3, 2020

“This medication is very dangerous, stayed in my system for two days! Wasn't functional at all. Couldn’t stay awake and clumsy when I was awake! I was totally out of my head! Friends were very worried to say the least! I was running into walls, closed the garage door on my car! Dropping and breaking things! I gave up and just stayed in bed until it worn off the third day! Yes the 3rd day! If you are taking prescription allergy medication, omg!!!! Double trouble!!! This medication need to be taken off the market before someone gets hurt!”

Just do it April 26, 2012

Remeron (mirtazapine): “I am writing to say DO NOT judge by the experience of others - try it yourself. In my case, after twenty years of stumbling daily through a heavy fog, unable to concentrate, loss of memory, no motivation. Remeron gave me 8 hours of sleep a night, week after week, until I became a new person simply because my body was getting rest. I made sure only healthy, healthy food was available in my house and did not have any weight gain at all. For some people this will provide a miraculous turn around - try it like I did - two weeks will give you a good test, no need for six weeks like other drugs. Start on low dose, don't take it until bedtime, no matter what the doctor says. Good luck, hope it helps you too.”

Vix · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2020

“IWANTOSHARE on 2 Feb 2020 said it all. I have also been on Escilotopram for Depression, for a few years now. But my biggest issue became insomnia, firstly after working night duty as a nurse, then I was diagnosed with a brain tumour last year. Had it out Jan 13 2020 all good, but awake all night then fell asleep 9 or 10 am, slept all day and so awake again all night. This week my doctor gave me Mirtazapine 15 mg (but taking half tablet) then up to 1 as from next week. She told me that it seems to work better for sleep on lower doses of it, rather than taking higher doses. Took my first dose last night, after 20 min felt dozy, then fell asleep, woke once for about 15 min then fell asleep again for the rest of the night. A little groggy today but then again I am still recovering from my brain surgery, so a big foggy most days, overall feeling fine. Hope it continues, and good luck to everyone else.”

Carty February 28, 2020

“I've had very severe insomnia for over 35yrs. I have tried many, many prescription and over the counter pills, as well as CBT, a wide range of alternative treatments eg hypnotherapy and homeopathy. I was prescribed Mirtazapine 2yrs ago (no idea why it wasn't prescribed before), and it's actually working. It's not perfect, I still have lots of nights of poor sleep but often I feel normal and capable of facing the day and that's amazing for me. I am not dep3, not over weight and have an otherwise happy life. Mirtazapine I love you.”

Leo. February 8, 2021

“I’ve had bad insomnia for about a week only getting 1-2 hours of sleep here and there. I first took mirtazapine was about 3 days ago. A quarter 30mg tablet. So approximately 7.5mg. About 30 minutes later I went to bed and slept through about 9 hours. Falling asleep was peaceful. I had a type of quietude in my mind. It really just felt peaceful I’ve been having deep sleep as well. But just that the idea of sleep is really appealing to me. They don’t make you feel tired. They just make you feel at peace with everything. I’ve had these tablets for about 3 months but I’m very wary of taking any sleeping tablets. These are not sleeping tablets. But they quite that part of your mind that stops you from falling asleep naturally.”

Uselessone · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 14, 2021

“I suffered from extreme insomnia and very low mood. I started taking mirtazipine 3 months ago and I feel like a new man. I'm full of energy during the day and come night time I'm ready to sleep. The first couple of days were very strange, I experienced erotic dreams and woke my partner up for sex (she didn't object lol). Now I sleep soundly for around 7 - 8 hours without interruption. Taking these tablets was the best decision I've made for a long time.”

SCANDI · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 22, 2020

“Been on Mirtazapine 30mg for 5 years. It works really great for my insomnia. I have not experienced any side effect as weight gain. It helps me stay focused in the day too. I will say tho, that I feel addicted to this medicine. Tried to stop taking it for 1 day (cold turkey) and I was doing really bad. So withdrawal after a long use have to be planned, while lowering the dose from 30mg, to 15mg to 7.5mg.”

The Slicer · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 7, 2019

“This drug has been a life saver for me, I tried Ambien, Sonata, Trazadone etc. for 15 years but came across Mirtazapine prescribed by my PCP. He gave me the 30mg tablets and not knowing any better I took a whole tablet my first night at Walt Disney World, I missed the next day asleep!!! I've used Mirtazapine for 10 years now using only 3.75mg at night and it still works for me!!! I take the 15mg tablets and cut them into 1/4 to get my dosage. The greatest thing about Mirtazapine for me at this small dose is it will still allow me to go back to sleep even after I get up 3-4 times at night to urinate. In the past once I was awake it was 2-3 hours before I went back to sleep and was miserable the next day and as I said this has seriously been a miracle sleep drug for me at the low dosage.”

Iwanttoshare February 2, 2020

“I had an anxiety and started taking Escitalopram 2 months ago. I knew it would take about 4 weeks for it to work. I also knew that my anxiety could first get worse before getting better. But I started experiencing severe insomnia. I used Lorazepam for a week, Ambien for 2 weeks. But those medications would help me sleep only for a couple of hours. My doctor prescribed Mirtazapine 7.5mg, but I decided to trya lower dose 3.75mg. That was the first night in about a month that I slept through the night. I took Mirtazapine for 3 weeks. I enjoyed my sleep and I loved my dreams. I did not have an increased appetite, but my appetite did improve with my overall condition. I did not put on any weight as I was watching it after reading multiple reviews here. I stopped taking Mirtazapine a few days ago without any problems at all. And I still sleep very well at nights because the Escitalopram started working and I am not having anxiety any more. Mirtazapine is a miracle drug for insomnia. Saved me.”

James · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 6, 2020

“I had chronic insomnia which crept up very quickly. I tried to deal with it using a variety of recommended methods but as the insomnia worsened my ability to cope became nonexistent. Sleeping tablets made me feel awful and eventually a doctor prescribed me a handful of valium tablets which helped temporarily. He suggested a course of mirtazapine (15mg) and it feels like they saved my life. Stable sleep patterns and minimal side effects. Only slight weight gain which I was able to shift quickly. I have been on them for 8 months or so and attempted a taper but went to half tabs too quickly. Had a few days of dizziness after a month or so and then an awful nights sleep, so I panicked and went back to full tablets. Thinking of a slower taper to get off them but this seems to be a tricky thing by the looks of people's accounts online.”

Hipsoilschick · Taken for less than 1 month October 6, 2021

“It has been 18 years since I have slept with the deep sleep that this med offers for people with true insomnia. For the past week, I have slept for a minimum of 7 hours of deep sleep a night and feel amazing. I had no idea that this was possible for me. I cannot believe this is how “normal” people feel every day! Very happy to have tried this medication. Friendly advice is to try this med when you don’t have any obligations the first couple of days if you need an adjustment period before the work week. I’m not tired at all the next day now and I’m on day 7. After 18 years, I’m finally sleeping! Yes; 18 years!! There is hope out there. Don’t give up trying to find it!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 23, 2020

“Extremely helpful for occasional insomnia. Although I don’t take it for depression or chronic insomnia, I was given some by my doctor for acute situations of mind racing, restless insomnia at night. The pills are 15mg and take full effect in about an hour. On nights with severe anxiety, restlessness and agitation, mirtazapine can slow my thoughts and bring forth a deep feeling of tiredness, allowing me to fall into deep sleep. Unlike diphenhydramine, I do not experience a “fishbowl” feeling in my head, uncomfortable heaviness and dry mouth the night during and morning after using. The one notable drawback is the long duration of action which can sometimes cause residual drowsiness well into the morning. Often times, a strong cup of coffee can help mitigate this though. Overall, having this medication available has been beneficial in preventing days being completely ruined by insomnia and anxiety.”

12345 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 30, 2021

“Been taking this for sleep for over 6 months. I had anxiety induced insomnia for the first time last Spring and didn't sleep for almost a month. It was rough and led to terrible depression. Started at 15 mg, went up to 30, combined with 100mg Zoloft until the depression cleared. Now am weaning off Zoloft, and am down to 7.5 mg mirtazapine about 1 hour before bed. Sometimes I take another 7.5mg if I get up to pee in the middle of the night but mostly the first 7.5mg works. I take about 3 mg extended release melatonin with it. A little groggy each morning until I get my coffee. Am about to cut the 7.5mg down to 3.75gm and see what happens. Wouldn't mind having a prescription for the rest of my life. Male, early 40s, 210 lb. Hope this helps!”

K8 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 4, 2020

“I started taking Mirtazepine about 6 months ago to assist with treatment for post natal anxiety which eventually lead to insomnia. No history of mental health issues or sleep issues. Started on 15mg , slept again straight away from day 1. Once I felt better after about 3 months, I reduced my dose very slowly over 3 months, now I'm on less than 1mg with no bad side effects so I'll be off it soon. The medical recommendation for tapering is far too quick I believe, take it slow. Mirt has been positive for me to get through a rough patch. In regards to weight gain, I never weighed myself but I think I may have put on a few kgs in the beginning but nothing to note and it didn't continue. No major appetite increase. Please don't let that put you off if you need help.”

depiless February 13, 2020

“This MEDICINE IS HORRIBLE FOR INSOMNIA I have tried it and YES IT knocks you out and let you sleep and stay asleep for 9-12 hours... but the side effects are horrible: you will feel like a zombie for the next 5-6 days.”

BillyRubin12 November 5, 2014

“What it's supposed to do, it does very well. I was put on it for sleep and weight loss due to anxiety and depression after a stressful event in my life. I have struggled with insomnia for most of my adult life. What can I say? It was a literal life saver for me at the time. Gave me sleep and appetite back immediately and I turned around. I still take 7.5mg at night for sleep, appetite and mood and it works very well. For the first time in my life I am at a healthy weight. That being said it does not induce the crazy sweets cravings anymore. I just take it and go to bed. I sleep enough but do sometimes wake up feeling a bit groggy, but that usually goes away during the course of the day. All in all a great medication that helped me immensely”

Learn more about Insomnia