User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Mirtazapine Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 106 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Mirtazapine to treat Insomnia

"Tried many different medications in order to treat anxiety, depression and insomnia. Anxiety/depressions medications weren't working, got dependent on sleeping tablets. Doctor put me on Mirtazapine and within a week I felt so 'normal' was sleeping well and eating well and managed to put on half a stone over the last two years. Now I only need one 15mg tablet at night and no other medication. Can't praise it enough"

solucky February 20, 2018

"I was a lifelong insomniac. Even as a young child, I lay awake in bed for hours and slept only fitfully. As an adult going through menopause, my lack of sleep would bring me to tears of frustration. I yawned throughout the day. I first used Zopiclone, which worked (although it left a foul taste in my mouth.) However, you can't take Zopiclone all the time, so I only slept on the days I could take the pill. Then my doctor put me on Trazadone, but that left me hyper-wired! So then I tried Mirtazepine, with the warning that I could feel very dopey for the first couple of days. That was an understatement! I tried dragging myself out of bed after 12 hours of sleep, but couldn't. But after a few days, my body adjusted and I LOVE IT! I sleep now - a good quality sleep, every night, with no drowsiness or grogginess during the day. Occasionally, if I am stressed, I may have to take a Zopiclone for one night, but basically I sleep like a normal person now. Probably, better than normal!"

RebbieSue55 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 10, 2018

"I have been treated for depression, mild GAD and chronic insomnia since January 4th, 2018. It started from a very stressful event that happened at work in early 2017 that I felt I was responsible. I beat myself up over it while spending the holidays at home alone. I spiralled down very quickly and fell into depression and subsequent insomnia. My doctor prescribed Zoloft. I took it for two weeks and Dr decided to change . Then he tried trazadone which I could not tolerate. I then was put on remeron which is a miracle drug. After just 1 week my depression was lifted mainly because the drug instantly gave me sleep. I started with 15 mg and has remained there for the past 2 weeks. I went back to work and am really happy for the first time in several months. This medication is awesome I did have groggy mornings for 1 week but now that is better. Exercising in the early morning helps. I had lost 12 pounds. It put 8 pounds back on. I am now only buying healthy food."

Waterwiz (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2018

"Been on this for about 3 years, 30mg for insomnia and yes it does really work. I went cold turkey 3 weeks ago and tried to come off it as I had put on just over 2 stone. I lost the weight in just 3 weeks but the insomnia took over my life again making it impossible to even go to work. I have now gone back on to it at 15mg but I am gonna try and sleep on 7.5 mg tonight after reading the posts above."

vinodrew January 31, 2018

"I have experienced insomnia for last 8 years. I sleep on average 6 hours a night. This is broken sleep, with periods where I lay awake or get up to use the bathroom. I was prescribed 15mg of Mirtazapine by my doctor. He explained that it was not a particularly successful antidepressant but that it had been found to have a useful side effect of enhancing restorative sleep patterns (deeper sleeping). It worked straight away for me with no residual effects in the morning. I feel so much better in the daytime now. I would recommend trying this drug if you have long term sleep health issues. You also get the added bonus of a slight analgesic effect from it being an antidepressant. I sleep on average 8 to 9 hours a night uninterrupted."

RichSteve (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 24, 2018

"Slept, good, but not worth the side effects I have had! Terrible bloated stomach, tendons rupture, gained 15 pounds within 4 weeks, hands gone numb, sores in mouth and few on face. No more of this medicine for me !!! I am going to stop taking this TODAY Before it kills me!"

Not for me! (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2017

"I’ve taken this many more months for insomnia. It is somewhat effective, better than OTC meds, but not as effective as Ambien. I usually sleep for 2-4 hours, about an hour after taking 45mg. After that I just get up, because sleep won’t come again. Still, it is better than nothing! As for any antidepressant or anxiolytic effects I’ve not really noticed. I can skip it for days, resume it to sleep, but not really feel better emotionally, even if maintained for several weeks. Its redeeming quality for me seems to be relieving insomnia in a minor way, and it is pretty predictable in that regard."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 20, 2017

"Maybe 2 hours sleep on 15 mg @ bedtime."

Teeb (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 18, 2017

"I've had these tablets as I could not sleep. OMG I had a good sleep but the side affects was bad. I had shakes and the sweats and I felt very dizzy. I would recommend these tablets but be aware of the side effects"

Notme1000 December 16, 2017

"Was prescribed Remeron for severe anxiety, depression, and insomnia. Did I sleep....Oh yes...non stop! I'd sleep right through all my alarms, through my hubby trying desperately to wake me up, and missed numerous days of work over it. Very vivid dreams. Take that back...they were nightmares, and I couldn't wake up! I weighed 124# when I started Remeron and within six weeks, ballooned up to 160#!!!!! Almost 40 pounds just because of the Remeron!!! I had no appetite, no energy, depression only got worse, and I was becoming a stranger to my husband and children because of my behavior habits (tired and nodding off all day - if I woke at all before 16 hours had passed, became snappy and irritable, and seriously got FAT!). It sucks...A LOT!!"

DuckMommy (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2017

"I take this medication at a low dose (7.5 mg) at bedtime for sleep. When I take it, I average about 7 hours and 40 minutes per night. When I don't, I sleep an average of 6 hours 30 minutes per night. That means some nights I'll sleep 7 hours and others, 6 hours. Not sleeping well makes me anxious and all I can think about is wanting to sleep. With this medication, I almost always sleep well. When I am not working (between contracts), I can sometimes sleep well without it, but with a full-time work schedule, I find this med makes all the difference. At a low dose, it doesn't cause weight gain either."

marchwinds (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 29, 2017

"Struggling with insomnia caused by severe MDD, this stuff puts you in sleep like no other. BUT, I gained 30Ibs!!! It made me even more depressed.I f you have the same problem, I suggest you to talk to your doctor .Hope this helped!"

Emasaksocark (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 27, 2017

"I was a lifelong insomniac. Used over-the-counter crud. Slept fitfully and felt drugged all day. I now take 15mg to 30 mg of mirtazapine and sleep soundly for a solid eight hours. Feel refreshed all next day. But, boy, it does give you the munchies almost right after taking it."

Sleepless on NJ (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 27, 2017

"My son's doctor gave him this medicine. He has autism and it's suppose to help him sleep. He has been going to sleep at 12 or 1 and waking up at 4 and 5 in the morning. Not sleeping all day. May take a nap for 1 to 2 hours. Then back running like a track star. I wouldn't be surprised if I came home from work one day and he is running up and down the walls."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 24, 2017

"Consider mirtzapine if you have intractable insomnia. I'm a recovering alcoholic and my sleep patterns got thoroughly screwed up during my drinking years. Mirtzapine 30 milligrams provides the most natural sleep I have ever had in my life. I sleep for eight hours and wake refreshed the way I did when I was teenager. It's so much better than benzos. Doctors may be reluctant to prescribe because of the chance of weight gain. I did gain weight because it gave me the munchies. But it levelled off at about a 7-pound gain. But it did level off!!! And you may feel completely zonked for the first two or three days. It's a good idea to start on the weekend. But again, the extreme drowsiness did disappear after a few days for me."

amyluv (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 19, 2017

"Remeron SolTab is the best drug out there for chronic idiopathic insomnia. Also the best antidepressant and anxiolytic. Good for stomach and acne too."

Carsondad (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 14, 2017

"This stuff knocked me out for two straight days. My wife had been calling for me and thought I was dead. It knocked me out Friday evening and I slept until she came home in a panic Sunday evening. Best sleep ever, totally recharged but too powerful and scary to continue using. Also caused me to lose inhibitions. Just didn't care."

BMCuser (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2017

"Absolutely great for me. It cured insomnia, I had better sleep, helps anxiety and depression. The lower dose gives increased sleep effect, and increased appetite (but its up to you whether you choose to eat everything you fancy..or not!)"

duckbilledplattypus October 3, 2017

"The only thing that truly works for idiopathic insomnia and chronic/childhood-onset insomnia. Take it 1 hour b4 bed. The most optimal dosage for chronic insomnia is 15mg, the effects halves by doubling it to 30mg and also halves by reducing it to 7.5mg, although some people may find 7.5mg optimal for long-term tapering."

ChristopherEvans1984 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 28, 2017

"My doctor prescribed this for insomnia. I also take paroxetine for depression and anxiety, plus birth control meds for PMDD, and one tiny dose of Xanax before bed. This stuff was so intense, I can't quite believe I went through the experience. I rapidly gained 30 lbs.!!! I could not stop eating and didn't care even though I knew it wasn't good for me. I also slept all day as well as at night, often in what felt like a semi-awake state but without being able to move and super vivid, bizarre dreams."

Kjl3cats (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 23, 2017

"I have suffered from diagnosed depression and anxiety for years. The last 6 months I have insomnia that keeps me awake all night. I have tried many meds with limited success I have now been put on 1/2 tab (7.5mg) for one week and then I am to go to the full 15mgs for one week and see my doctor. After my first 6 days I sleep all night and all day. I am retired, I do not like the all day dizziness and sleepy feeling. I am on other meds too and suffer from chronic vertigo related problems from a TBI (traumatic brain injury) I don't like being too sleepy during day time tho I will try the 2 week formula. the comments from others have been very helpful,TY."

balenced (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2017

"I was prescribed Mirtazapine for Insomnia. At first I thought the tablets was working well. Until I saw my weight increasing within 3 months from 63kg to 86kg and I also noticed that I battled to breath just after taking the tablet at night. Battling depression I am now faces with an image problem as well. Not a good tablet to use"

Yvlemach (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2017

"I had 2 days on this drug for long term insomnia. Side effects were horrible. Walking around in a fog beyond dense. Can barely function. Much rather not sleep."

Anonymous September 7, 2017

"I was prescribed 15 mg Remeron for insomnia. I will say that it worked to put me to sleep and keep me asleep, HOWEVER, I notice that I am super groggy in the morning even after a full night of sleep. It took me 3-4 hours to shake off the effects of the meds, which is definitely not ideal."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2017

"I am a leukemia patient and after all the meds I've been on and still are on sleep can be a challenge to say the least. I was originally put on 15 mg of Remeron at bedtime to help gain weight for Bone marrow transplantation (BMT) but found it helpful for sleep as well. After taking it for 2 years it started not to work as well, so now I take 1mg Ativan and 15 mg Remeron for sleep. It takes about 2-3 hours to kick in but I sleep an average of 8-9 hours a night. Cup of coffee after breakfast and I'm not groggy. Hope this somehow helps."

ENS74 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 30, 2017