User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Mirtazapine Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 106 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Mirtazapine to treat Insomnia

"My message is especially for "Kaz" who is desperate to sleep. I urge you to try the mirtazapine! I was you for many years, and nothing MDs threw at me would help me sleep. Because I was so sleep-deprived, I was underweight, depressed and had IBS. The first night I took 15 mg mirtazapine, I slept through the night (9-10 hours) for the first time in years. Sure, I was a bit groggy in the morning for the first few weeks, but I was so overjoyed to be sleeping that I didn't care. It also cured my IBS, as my whole body calmed down once I had some restorative sleep."

Cat (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 9, 2018

"I began Mirtazapine 45 mg 10 yrs ago for insomnia & night terrors. And I gained fifty pounds! My Psych retired & the new one has me on meds that I took & plateaued on. He put me on Zoloft; nothing. Now Wellbutrin HCL SR 150 mg in the a.m. Next stop the Mirtazapine cold turkey replacing it w/1 Wellbutrin tab in p.m. I took 1 wk of 1/2 tabs of 45 mg Mirtazapine, no problem, then, stopped to start the p.m. Wellbutrin. Please don't ever do that. I have been a physical & mental mess for 3 days. I'm upset, w/severe vertigo, nausea & diarrhea. I'll take the 1/2 Mirtazapine; skip the Wellbutrin. I was never told how Mirtazapine can stay in your brain & never did anything for my sleep. The Xanaz did. I've read the dosage for going off: take 10% less what you had been taking for 4-6 weeks & take 10% less again, until you are at a small dose. I don't think Mirtazapine is the answer for anyone."

marrisea (taken for 10 years or more) April 2, 2018

"I wanted to ask anyone I am on zopiclone two days on two off and I only sleep until 2.30am. I am also citatapram 10mg Other nights I don’t take zop I don’t sleep at all , a friend told me mitrazipine helps with sleep and antidepressant so I would only be taking one tablet and every night . But am so desperate to sleep. I am wondering if anyone have better sleep with this. Also that it’s restorative sleep where as zop is not ? So desperate and anxious Kaz"

Kaz (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2018

"My insomnia broke new ground. First it started off at going to sleep around 2am. Over time, that became 3am, 4am... til I was pulling ALL-NIGHTERS on a regular basis (awake until 10/11am the following day!). I'd then pass out every five days or so as I couldn't keep that up. Gave in, spoke to doc who put me on 15mg Zispin (same family of drug) and I passed out within an hour of taking it. It definitely helps me sleep, oh glorious sleep! I now take it about midnight and I'm gone by 2am which is very good for me. As for weight gain, dammit, yes! I suddenly started CRAVING sweet things and I'm usually a savoury girl. I stopped sugar in my tea and coffee immediately. So : in summary, def helping with sleep, bit groggy when I wake but soon passes, feel chilled, and the eating is something I must take control of, and be mindful of. I'm upping water, cutting sugar where possible, staying away from the baddies like white bread, sweets, cakes etc, and I'll see how I go."

Patch March 22, 2018

"I used this medication for insomnia, for about one and a half years and I can count on my fingers how many times I didn't sleep at least 7 to 8 hours. I used to take 30 mg and it really helped."

Gusto March 21, 2018

"Do not use because all hell breaks loose in your head with bizarre dreams. You will fall asleep for a couple hours and wake up with the thought what the hell just happened. You put on weight so after a week I stopped taking them."

ELK March 10, 2018

"This is by far the most hideous antidepressant I have ever been on and absolutely horrific to get off! I now have Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), vision issues, neuropathy, worse anxiety, depression, akathesia, weakened immune system. Yeah it will make you sleep but the sleep is horrid with hallucinations, nightmares. I now have histamine issues, allergic reactions I never had before this drug. Lost a ton of hair. Have major breathing issues now. And never have felt so agitated in my life! This drug is absolute poison to the mind, body, and soul. Destroyed me and my life. Very debilitated by this drug. In absolute hell every day."

Harmedbyremeron (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 28, 2018

"I've been taking mirtazapine for 3 weeks now. I've had insomnia for about a year and suffer from depression as well. My doc put me on this med and I was told the full effect would be felt within 2-3 weeks. I sleep about 2 hours a night and thats it. I lay in bed and toss and turn. I've gained 7 pounds in 3 weeks, and really watch what I eat. I go to bed with hunger pains (afraid of gaining more weight). I wouldn't recommend this pill if you are depressed as you feel more depressed from the weight gain. I only take 15mg but will definitely NOT increase due to the hunger pains."

Franny123456 February 21, 2018

"Tried many different medications in order to treat anxiety, depression and insomnia. Anxiety/depressions medications weren't working, got dependent on sleeping tablets. Doctor put me on Mirtazapine and within a week I felt so 'normal' was sleeping well and eating well and managed to put on half a stone over the last two years. Now I only need one 15mg tablet at night and no other medication. Can't praise it enough"

solucky February 20, 2018

"I was a lifelong insomniac. Even as a young child, I lay awake in bed for hours and slept only fitfully. As an adult going through menopause, my lack of sleep would bring me to tears of frustration. I yawned throughout the day. I first used Zopiclone, which worked (although it left a foul taste in my mouth.) However, you can't take Zopiclone all the time, so I only slept on the days I could take the pill. Then my doctor put me on Trazadone, but that left me hyper-wired! So then I tried Mirtazepine, with the warning that I could feel very dopey for the first couple of days. That was an understatement! I tried dragging myself out of bed after 12 hours of sleep, but couldn't. But after a few days, my body adjusted and I LOVE IT! I sleep now - a good quality sleep, every night, with no drowsiness or grogginess during the day. Occasionally, if I am stressed, I may have to take a Zopiclone for one night, but basically I sleep like a normal person now. Probably, better than normal!"

RebbieSue55 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 10, 2018

"I have been treated for depression, mild GAD and chronic insomnia since January 4th, 2018. It started from a very stressful event that happened at work in early 2017 that I felt I was responsible. I beat myself up over it while spending the holidays at home alone. I spiralled down very quickly and fell into depression and subsequent insomnia. My doctor prescribed Zoloft. I took it for two weeks and Dr decided to change . Then he tried trazadone which I could not tolerate. I then was put on remeron which is a miracle drug. After just 1 week my depression was lifted mainly because the drug instantly gave me sleep. I started with 15 mg and has remained there for the past 2 weeks. I went back to work and am really happy for the first time in several months. This medication is awesome I did have groggy mornings for 1 week but now that is better. Exercising in the early morning helps. I had lost 12 pounds. It put 8 pounds back on. I am now only buying healthy food."

Waterwiz (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2018

"Been on this for about 3 years, 30mg for insomnia and yes it does really work. I went cold turkey 3 weeks ago and tried to come off it as I had put on just over 2 stone. I lost the weight in just 3 weeks but the insomnia took over my life again making it impossible to even go to work. I have now gone back on to it at 15mg but I am gonna try and sleep on 7.5 mg tonight after reading the posts above."

vinodrew January 31, 2018

"I have experienced insomnia for last 8 years. I sleep on average 6 hours a night. This is broken sleep, with periods where I lay awake or get up to use the bathroom. I was prescribed 15mg of Mirtazapine by my doctor. He explained that it was not a particularly successful antidepressant but that it had been found to have a useful side effect of enhancing restorative sleep patterns (deeper sleeping). It worked straight away for me with no residual effects in the morning. I feel so much better in the daytime now. I would recommend trying this drug if you have long term sleep health issues. You also get the added bonus of a slight analgesic effect from it being an antidepressant. I sleep on average 8 to 9 hours a night uninterrupted."

RichSteve (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 24, 2018

"Slept, good, but not worth the side effects I have had! Terrible bloated stomach, tendons rupture, gained 15 pounds within 4 weeks, hands gone numb, sores in mouth and few on face. No more of this medicine for me !!! I am going to stop taking this TODAY Before it kills me!"

Not for me! (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2017

"I’ve taken this many more months for insomnia. It is somewhat effective, better than OTC meds, but not as effective as Ambien. I usually sleep for 2-4 hours, about an hour after taking 45mg. After that I just get up, because sleep won’t come again. Still, it is better than nothing! As for any antidepressant or anxiolytic effects I’ve not really noticed. I can skip it for days, resume it to sleep, but not really feel better emotionally, even if maintained for several weeks. Its redeeming quality for me seems to be relieving insomnia in a minor way, and it is pretty predictable in that regard."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 20, 2017

"Maybe 2 hours sleep on 15 mg @ bedtime."

Teeb (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 18, 2017

"I've had these tablets as I could not sleep. OMG I had a good sleep but the side affects was bad. I had shakes and the sweats and I felt very dizzy. I would recommend these tablets but be aware of the side effects"

Notme1000 December 16, 2017

"Was prescribed Remeron for severe anxiety, depression, and insomnia. Did I sleep....Oh yes...non stop! I'd sleep right through all my alarms, through my hubby trying desperately to wake me up, and missed numerous days of work over it. Very vivid dreams. Take that back...they were nightmares, and I couldn't wake up! I weighed 124# when I started Remeron and within six weeks, ballooned up to 160#!!!!! Almost 40 pounds just because of the Remeron!!! I had no appetite, no energy, depression only got worse, and I was becoming a stranger to my husband and children because of my behavior habits (tired and nodding off all day - if I woke at all before 16 hours had passed, became snappy and irritable, and seriously got FAT!). It sucks...A LOT!!"

DuckMommy (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2017

"I take this medication at a low dose (7.5 mg) at bedtime for sleep. When I take it, I average about 7 hours and 40 minutes per night. When I don't, I sleep an average of 6 hours 30 minutes per night. That means some nights I'll sleep 7 hours and others, 6 hours. Not sleeping well makes me anxious and all I can think about is wanting to sleep. With this medication, I almost always sleep well. When I am not working (between contracts), I can sometimes sleep well without it, but with a full-time work schedule, I find this med makes all the difference. At a low dose, it doesn't cause weight gain either."

marchwinds (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 29, 2017

"Struggling with insomnia caused by severe MDD, this stuff puts you in sleep like no other. BUT, I gained 30Ibs!!! It made me even more depressed.I f you have the same problem, I suggest you to talk to your doctor .Hope this helped!"

Emasaksocark (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 27, 2017

"I was a lifelong insomniac. Used over-the-counter crud. Slept fitfully and felt drugged all day. I now take 15mg to 30 mg of mirtazapine and sleep soundly for a solid eight hours. Feel refreshed all next day. But, boy, it does give you the munchies almost right after taking it."

Sleepless on NJ (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 27, 2017

"My son's doctor gave him this medicine. He has autism and it's suppose to help him sleep. He has been going to sleep at 12 or 1 and waking up at 4 and 5 in the morning. Not sleeping all day. May take a nap for 1 to 2 hours. Then back running like a track star. I wouldn't be surprised if I came home from work one day and he is running up and down the walls."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 24, 2017

"Consider mirtzapine if you have intractable insomnia. I'm a recovering alcoholic and my sleep patterns got thoroughly screwed up during my drinking years. Mirtzapine 30 milligrams provides the most natural sleep I have ever had in my life. I sleep for eight hours and wake refreshed the way I did when I was teenager. It's so much better than benzos. Doctors may be reluctant to prescribe because of the chance of weight gain. I did gain weight because it gave me the munchies. But it levelled off at about a 7-pound gain. But it did level off!!! And you may feel completely zonked for the first two or three days. It's a good idea to start on the weekend. But again, the extreme drowsiness did disappear after a few days for me."

amyluv (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 19, 2017

"Remeron SolTab is the best drug out there for chronic idiopathic insomnia. Also the best antidepressant and anxiolytic. Good for stomach and acne too."

Carsondad (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 14, 2017

"This stuff knocked me out for two straight days. My wife had been calling for me and thought I was dead. It knocked me out Friday evening and I slept until she came home in a panic Sunday evening. Best sleep ever, totally recharged but too powerful and scary to continue using. Also caused me to lose inhibitions. Just didn't care."

BMCuser (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2017