User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Mirtazapine Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 220 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Mirtazapine to treat Depression

"This tablet does nothing what's the best way to come off weed"

Wadow (taken for 10 years or more) August 17, 2018

"I am currently prescribed 15 mg of Mirtazapine to help myself to ween off alcohol. Since being prescribed the medication for two weeks now it has helped in reducing my cravings for alcohol during the week. It may not be for everyone, but I have found it very helpful and sleep patterns are returning to normal. I hope you have found this helpful"

Whodunnit (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2018

"It’s amazing how much of my sleep deprivation caused depression and visa Versa. I am up to 45 mg. I take at night. I take 10 mg of Melatonin and in 15 minutes I’m asleep and stay asleep all night. Even if I need to get up to use the restroom facilities. This medication is absolutely amazing for my depression also. If I was asked about it, I would say it’s a “ Try it! “"

Sparky (taken for 10 years or more) July 31, 2018

"This has been perfect for me, never feel low any more- this was mainly due to a complete lifestyle change but I have noticed I never reach a point where I’m uncontrollably unhappy anymore. I’m much more logical about things. I take this before bed so I sleep really well, I wouldn’t take this in the day as it makes you sleepy really quickly, but I personally like this! (I was a restless sleeper before, would wake up every hour) the ONLY downside to this medication for me was weight gain. I’ve always been very slim but put on 1 1/2 stone with this over a year. But I joined a gym and started getting healthy again, and lost most of the weight, win win!!"

Abby (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 30, 2018

"The positives = less stressed and down and out. After a 6 month roller coaster, this seems to work better than the SSRI family. Not sure if to stay on 30mg or taper down to 15mg. The negatives = put on 4kgs in 3 weeks. Crazy (Not in a good way) dreams. Angry ++ Premature ejaculation Very sore hands (joints)."

Jeeves July 23, 2018

"Mirtazapine has got to be the best antidepressant I have ever taken. Like some of the others say, it is a very strong drug. Even after the first dose I felt different. It almost feels a bit psychedelic, colours are louder and brighter and it dilates my pupils. I am way more optimistic and enthusiastic on it. I have mild weight gain like 10 pounds, which is the only side effect to speak of. I take it along with lamotrigine for bipolar which has also been incredible. I am on 30 mgs. It ranked #2 on a massive list of drugs for depression. Also check out David Burns Feeling Good for CBT training which has probably been even more helpful"

T Rizzle July 15, 2018

Remeron (mirtazapine): "I tried various antidepressants for years including therapy and Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS). I also took clonazepan for anxiety. For about two years I was a mess, extremely tired, very anxious and miserable. Thoughts of suicide very frequent. My psychiatrist told me to get a second opinion. Very hard to do when you feel awful, but keep on trying hoping there will be a better cocktail around the corner. I now take zoloft 100 mg in the morning and remeron 30 mg before bed time (clonazepan very seldom) it makes me very tired and I feel strange although there were a few times that it really helped. Zoloft and remeron did it for me. I sleep great and feel much better. Keep alcohol at a minimum. Best of luck........"

Tenatious (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 8, 2018

"Hi starting this mirtazapine while coming down over 8 weeks off of 300mg of vensir xl. Been on mirtazapine for 3 weeks. First week was great. I didn't have a care in the world. Now on 30mg has made me feel so bad tempered and everything is annoying me. I'm generally a calm person. I really can't cope with this anymore. Just been referred to a psychiatrist who will help with my medication as doctor can't give me anymore. I haven't ever felt like this. Also some days I can't stop weeing. Others days I'm just not needing to go as much. I've also noticed I'm getting very bloated. Especially around my stomach. I don't drink, so I can't not report about drinking on these. I am not happy with this medication at all. Also I'm in the uk."

Boot July 8, 2018

"This was the best drug I have ever taken. I felt so normal on it after years of depression and was placed on it after a suicide attempt. I sadly got taken off it after weight gain (flagged up the eating disorder I was in recovery for) which is the only downside but so worth it for how it makes you feel. No bad side effects and no sexual side effects! So good"

Bex (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2018

"Mirtazepine is excellent for depression, it has really lifted me out of a dark place. Also great for insomnia..sleep regular and like a baby from now on. I'd given up on other anti depressants due to the side effects- mainly the sweating and increase in anxiety when starting off and was trying to battle my depression solo. However this experience was no sweating and little increase in anxiety. Doesn't do much if you suffer from anxiety thus drug mainly helps depression. Does give me the munchies so watch your calorie intake"

Paul June 21, 2018

Remeron (mirtazapine): "For the first week everything ran smoothly, I fell asleep within an hour of taking the medication and I had some vivid dreams (which I didn't mind, they were quite amusing). Then the second week came and I had suicidal thoughts, I stuck with it though because I though hey maybe it will get easier and I am notorious for not trying anti-depressants for long enough. After a while I noticed I was gaining weight, and after about 5kgs in a month I can't take it anymore. Weight was already an issue and I am restricting and bingeing constantly so I can never get a moment where I am not thinking about food. Overall taking this is doing nothing for me and I feel it is ok if you can deal with the weight issue."

c (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2018

Remeron (mirtazapine): "I went from a size 4 to a size 10 in a matter of weeks. I couldn't wear my wedding rings or my clothes. It was totally water retention. One of my colleagues noticed how puffy I looked. So I confronted my doctor. "What is making me look l like a Macy's Thanksgiving parade balloon?" He looked sheepish and said, "That would be the Remeron." I demanded to be taken off the drug, and I could literally feel myself losing the water weight. Never again."

Missy June 17, 2018

"I've been on 15 mg Mirtazapine each night for over two weeks now and just wanted to make a report here. In particular, I want to tell users to not necessarily worry about weight gain - I'm quite overweight and was worried about this, but for some reason I no longer feel hungry on Mirtazapine and am eating heaps LESS than usual - which is good for me, as I have started to lose weight at last. Am sleeping a bit better, panic attacks totally stopped, mood is just beginning to feel better (early days at the moment). I have had no bad side effects, and normally I can't take anti-depressants because of the side effects (migraines, feeling weird etc). So I am very happy with this medication and I'm hoping that given another week or two it will help with my depression."

limosa (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2018

Remeron (mirtazapine): "Skip dose if you've had alcohol, or you may end up crawling on the floor, sick, no joke. The drug has a 30-hour half life so it's not a problem to skip a dose if you plan on drinking."

Whodini (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 10, 2018

"Hi guys, I have been taking Mitrazapine for over 5 years and it been great for me. The problem I have is I have always purchased the Terry White (I'm in Australia) branded mitrazapine 30mg, but I went in the other day to refill my script and straight away I noticed that it was a different brand (but still 30mg mitrazapine) I asked the chemist if I could please have their branded product and she insisted that it was the same. I now have not slept for two nights and feel very edgy. Am I mad or is it possible that there is such a different effectiveness or feeling from different brands?"

Ben N (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 5, 2018

"Hey all, I was prescribed Mitrazapine when I was sectioned for trying to end my life (unfortunately). At first I hated it! I woke up feeling like a zombie, but after about 3 weeks I was so calm and didn’t feel spaced out, if anything more active! The only reason I’ve stopped taking this is because I work in a hospital and have night shifts on occasions (oh it makes you sleep lol)"

Dan (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2018

"I have been taking mirtazapine past 1 year. From the beginning it was working perfectly for me. I could sleep 12 hours , anxiety had disappeared and depression as well. I have been on 30 mg. But past two months I felt like Mirtazapine had stopped working for depression so I went to see my GP and he put me on 45 mg a day in two divided doses. I can't see any difference so I am going to visit psychiatrist tomorrow. I am so unhappy It has stopped working for me. I tried several SSRI before but It wasn't working that good as Mirtazapine. I am afraid of trying any other drugs because there is many side effect but I feel very depressed."

mishka May 20, 2018

"I am writing because I highly value reviews. Please add the dose you take on this site for whatever med - it is really important. Everyone is different. Here is my input after 2x on this med @15 mg. It zonked me out at first which was awesome for sleep but that went away after 3-4 weeks. Depression has turned into "eh who cares" apathy with a hopeful smile, so little improvement. I am in a terrible home situation though, so I know the hard work is not via a pill. Also, it sucks but read reviews: almost all people gain weight. I weigh myself daily and it's insane, like a 1/2 lb a day gained. I will buy a water pill and see if it's retention. For sleep this can work like a (non-addictive) charm though."

Ecga (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 11, 2018

"After suffering from anxiety, sleep problems and depression for a prolonged period, my GP prescribed me Mirtazapine 15mg initially and then onto 30mg for the past 2 years. I can say that as soon as the dosage was upped to 30mg I found sleeping issues were gone fairly quickly. However, I don't feel as though the issues with anxiety and depression have been helped any from taking the pills. I still feel extremely anxious at times, so much so that I feel afraid to attempt things. And as far as the depression and mood control are concerned. I still feel angry a lot of the times, mostly internalized and kept to myself. Or I can be sat watching TV and find myself welling-up and crying at everything. So needless to say I am not feeling the benefits that others have. I do have the weight gained issues others have mentioned and have gained almost 4 stone over the time I have been on them."

Sheydee (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 10, 2018

"Started yesterday evening. Effects started after about 1 hour following a 30 mg dose. Had restless legs that were driving me mad then this ferocious appetite. Ate a load of satsumas as all the snacky food I could find. Slept well. No vivid dreams as such to report. Woke early at 7am ( from 8pm) and felt ok. Just spaced a bit and eating everything in sight."

Caldergirl (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2018

"Started Mirtazapine at 15mg. Helped sleeping for about a week as I was only sleeping 1 hour a night for over a month but then had little effect. Could go to sleep but would wake up after about 3 hours and couldn't get back to sleep. No increase in appetite at all. Increased to 30mg but still had bad anxiety and some depression after a few weeks. Then depression started creeping up so increased to 45mg for 1 week but depression increased to the point I felt like I had no purpose in life. No motivation to even get out of bed. Even brushing my teeth was a huge task. Going to stop cold turkey as I haven't felt this bad ever. Going back to pDoc to try something else. Life long anxiety and depression sufferer."

Better luck next time (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2018

"I was on Sertraline for almost a year and suffered major depressive and suicidal thoughts so my doctor took me off and put me on Remeron (Mirtazapine). I have only been on it just over a week, but already feel a difference. I have noticed more good than bad but will share both. I use this for Anxiety and anger. Bad: Groggy and dizzy in the mornings for a while, increased appetite, a bit of a "hazy" feeling almost like a glaze over you, a bit of tenderness in touch. Good: VERY relaxed constantly, feeling of being "high" almost...sort of a constant state of relaxation feeling chill and not being so easy to anger, excellent sleep Overall, it does seem to help with lowering worry, stress, anxiety, depression, anger and over-thinking. So far this seems to be working the only thing I don't really like is that it makes me feel groggy most of the mornings. Has anyone else had these side effects? Do they gradually disappear?"

Lin May 2, 2018

Remeron (mirtazapine): "I have been prescribed Remeron/Mirtazapine on 2 occasions in the last 5 years. I’m a brain injury survivor with a poor memory of many things post-accident, therefore I was not sure on second prescription that I had used it before. I quickly remembered. For me, the side-effects are various but in the main: constant anxiety, compulsive eating, bad taste in my mouth, food tasting all the same (basically of nothing much), hyper sensitivity to light & sound and a feeling that I was not really ‘there’. These effects terrified me. The only good thing was that it made me sleep. Below my time on medication is less than 1 month; the first time I took it for nearly a month & the second time 2 weeks."

Jojo (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2018

"Was on remeron in combination with Zoloft for depression, PTSD, insomnia & anxiety. Honestly 80% of the time I felt great. The other 20% was full of intense headaches every single morning & my Significant other complaining that I no longer had a sex drive. If not for the headaches, I'd still be on it. I did go thru withdrawal after stopping it & had to take another rx to manage that for about a month."

HS (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2018

"Mirtazapine was very effective for me in treating trichotillomania as well as my anxiety (which for me was feeling stressed and overwhelmed) and depression, but it made me super irritable. I switched to a different medication (fluvoxamine) that manages my moods without making me grumpy but doesn't do anything for trichotillomania. I have had trichotillomania for 9 years and this was the first time I didn't have the urge to pull my hair (or bite my nails)."

HeatherVS (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2018