User Reviews for Mirtazapine to treat Depression

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Mirtazapine Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 191 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Mirtazapine

JimJam · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 9, 2020

“When I started mirtazapine I got a lot of confusion and brain fog but that cleared up and its been helpful ever since. Some weight gain but I don't mind as I was a bit underweight.”

Mint · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 4, 2020

“I was put on this mirtazapine antidepressant after being on Sertraline for 6 months and experiencing serious suicidal thoughts. Not only it helped a lot with depression and anxiety, but this is the perfect medication for someone underweight, like I used to be. I gained over 50lbs within 4 months and kept going lol. Being underweight for so many years I never knew what it feels like to be overweight until I tried it. Well... I definitely feels much better than being underweight, but... time to switch off my meds! :P”

Xag · Taken for less than 1 month June 2, 2020

Remeron (mirtazapine): “I’m on my 8th day since I started taking half of a 30mg pill before I go to sleep everyday. It helps me have a very good night sleep, has enhanced my appetite and is helping me cope and deal with the hard situation I’m facing. I am satisfied with the results so far although I feel sleepy all day long.”

Kessie June 2, 2020

“Took for about a month, starting on 15 mg a day. Never been so tired in my life. Went up to 30 mg because the tiredness is supposed to ease then. It did slightly but after a few days my skin was like sandpaper and eyes constantly watering, and both very sore. Didn't really feel better at all mentally, actually worse because I felt I had dropped about 50 IQ points and not able to think clearly to find solutions to problems. Felt despairing, too despairing to demonstrably show anger but there all the time in my mind, along with the worst depression ever. I needed to find something that I know I have to live with for the rest of my life. Took hours to wake up, a few hours where I would be sort of functioning, then go to bed very early, not just because of exhaustion but also because I couldn't do anything anyway because of constantly wiping my eyes.”

Chan · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 22, 2020

“I've been taking 15mg for a year and 8 months. Right away I felt better because I slept right through anger woke up rested. Previously I took 40mg citalopram and I still suffered bad episodes of depression and delusions. Since taking mirtazapine, I've had much longer periods of productivity, much calmer, less intense periods of sadness and distorted thinking. I stopped the citalopram about 7 months ago, so I'm very happy with it. The only draw back is that I went up at least a dress size and I can't shift the weight, even though I'm healthier than ever, and don't drink.”

Trytrytry · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 18, 2020

Remeron (mirtazapine): “I was feeling very depressed 3 years ago and I've always suffered from anxiety, I tried other anti-depressants but the side affects were horrendous so I started on 15mg Mirtazapine, they started to work after a few days. I felt calm and my anxiety reduced hugely, I also slept very well. They will give you very vivid dreams, after a few weeks I started feeling anxious/agitated during the day so I popped another pill and that did the trick after an hour. The Doc upped my dose then to 30mg and they worked great at night. But I felt very anxious in the morning so the Doc very unusually apparently prescribed 15mg for the morning, that really did the trick. Fast forward 3 years, I'm still on the 45mg and they still help me sleep, my mood however is a little on the low side, anxiety is quite bad, in a nutshell they work less and less the longer you are on them, I'm now thinking of tapering off them and trying some talking therapy even if I am a little sceptical of the value of doing so.”

Never Again May 14, 2020

Remeron (mirtazapine): “I literally split a 15mg down to into 8ths because my body is so sensitive. Wow... I have been out of it for DAYS.. I cannot stop sleeping. Put me in a horrible weird state like I don't know what's going on or like I'm truly awake. Just feel 'out of it' .. Off of a sliver! I have read contradictory things about dosing. I would indeed say and agree with that the lower doses are VERY sedating. Very weirdly vivid (not nightmarish) dreams... I had a gene test done and this medication was on my "lower doses maybe be required" I can't even imagine what a high dose would do! This is completely staying on my 'NO!' list! Be careful of this medication because it is POWERFUL. I feel like I've just been high for days. Like I've just been smoking the most dank weed and I've just been stuck in this high. When I wake up I feel like I'm manic, like I just have a huge rush of anxiety. I wanted to try this because I am experiencing "heartburn" like chest pain that isn't acid related at all..”

Dave · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 5, 2020

Remeron (mirtazapine): “I really like this medication. I‘d always been wary of antidepressants because of the well known side effects but being an SSRI I gave this one a shot. Never looked back. Gained maybe 8 pounds but you cant tell because I look and feel so much healthier and happier. Little to no side effects other than that 8 pounds, I can finally sleep again. Woke up a little dizzy in the morning for the first 2 or 3 weeks but it doesn't happen anymore. You probably WON'T ever forget to take it and you won’t be able to sleep without it once you’re on it, but my quality of life is so much higher I don't mind”

Anon · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 14, 2020

Remeron (mirtazapine): “I am an alcoholic/addict who had been self medicating through any illicit substance I could get my hands on for over 10 years. Remeron was suggested in treatment since I’ve suffered with anxiety/social anxiety/major depression for so many years that I had lost hope in ever getting better. Remeron worked fast and with counseling/meditation/exercise, and I felt like a person again. I was on Remeron for about 4 months until I tapered off my 7.5 mg dose. For me less was more. About 10 months later I noticed my depression creeping up and since I’ve been sober/clean for about 15 months I felt like I fell short in mental health maintenance (when I really didn’t) So I went to see a doctor and got back on 15mg and the next day the medication was already working better than I could have ever hoped for. I didn’t want to accept the fact that I was getting depressed but if I didn’t reach out for help it would of led me down the road to relapse.”

Noel Garnet · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 10, 2020

“I've taken Mirtazapine (30 mg) in the orodispersible version for severe depression with insomnia and other disorders. This medication really helped me out, it has litterally saved me. I'm a whole different person after the cure with it. No side effects on me. I recommend taking it in the evening if possible, because this antidepressant has very strong antihistamine properties (I no longer had allergic rhinitis or urticaria from pollen and dust), so it leads to a marked sleepiness. For this reason, it is useful in case of insomnia. My overall opinion is excellent, it pulled me out of a very bad situation of inner suffering that I thought was unfortunately chronic over time. I have not had any withdrawal symptoms after discontinuation. This antidepressant does not affect nor the sexual drive nor the sexual function.”

Tanvir March 10, 2020

“One of the best antidepressant, I am on 45mg a day and the only side effect I found is dry mouth. Good for Major depressive disorder, gives energy.”

Winkipop · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 27, 2020

“Was prescribed mirtazapine 30mg to act with venlafaxine , for depression. I feel very heavy headed in the morning, and wonder if I should reduce the Mirtazapine to 15 mg. But I have heard this would be more sedating..”

Coco February 19, 2020

Remeron (mirtazapine): “I was taking mirtazapine for around a year and had I been in a better space I would have gotten off it as soon as I realised it was causing certain effects on me. Minor side effects - sluggishness, major weigh gain. I was prescribed this medication due to having poor sleep but it made me have vivid awful dreams - sleep paralysis multiple times a night. I used to sleep for 14+ hours, usually in the day due to being worried about falling asleep for the nightmares. It caused me to miss lots of university - I was so tired and drowsy I could not physically get up. I wish I had been able to understand the effect it was having on my body and stop them sooner. I was severely suicidal. I made plans almost daily, even walking to the shop I thought about walking in front of buses. It was a truly awful time in my life, made worse by a medication which did not suit me. I’m glad it has worked for some, but If anyone I knew personally were to tell me they were taking it, I would advise them not to.”

Derwent2672 · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 18, 2020

“I have been on mirtazapine 15mg, for to years now, l try to up the dose to 30mg, but my restless legs, got too bad, and my stomach was became bloated, now the mirtazapine is not working, as well it put me to sleep ok but l am waking up early mornings, and feeling really depressed and anxious, my doctor, wants me to take escitaloprám 10mg with 15mg mirtazapine, l don't do well on SSRI antidepressants, also l am scared to taken both antidepressants together.”

Ashleigh · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 14, 2020

“This drug really worked for my DEPRESSION and INSOMNIA. It really helped me, BUT... I just could not control my appetite. As soon as I woke up, my first thought was eating and after eating I was thinking what to have next. My hunger was so out of control that I would eat until I was sick. I ended up gaining 25 lbs in 2 months. I had munchies from dawn to dusk. It was horrible. I don’t know if anyone else had this happen, but had to get off of them and since have lost 20 lbs of the 25 I gained. I would recommend if you can control your hunger, because I sure couldn’t. ”

Kimikat · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 14, 2020

Remeron (mirtazapine): “Remeron is great for sleep, anxiety and depression. It really works !”

Slick · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 10, 2020

“I've been on mirtazapine 45mg dose for a year now. It worked great at first but going on the higher dose caused anxiety. I've piled on the weight I'm constantly hungry which makes me anxious as well, I can eat a meal and be fine then all of a sudden I'm hungry like I've not been fed for a week. Also the nightmares are terrible so really takes me a while to calm down when I finally wake. Alot of people suffer the nightmares and weird vivid dreams. I'm working to come off it. It's great for anxiety I'm prescribed diazepam 28mg a day as well so they probably help as well. I advise anyone to read up on it before taking it if the plan is for long term use, speak to your doctor. I've put on 2 stone I can't be putting anymore on. It once helped now it makes me miserable having to take it and the withdrawals are rotten and lengthy especially on my dose”

Steve · Taken for less than 1 month February 8, 2020

Remeron SolTab (mirtazapine): “I was given this years ago in the hospital and it worked amazingly well for sleep (I think it was name brand). My new insurance now covers it so I had my doctor switch me from regular generic Remeron to generic Remeron Soltab by Aurobindo Pharmaceuticals. The dose is 15mg. I only took it one night so far and it didn’t work at all for sleep & gave me a headache. I’m not giving it a rating because I believe the reason for it not working is the brand. I had the same issue with Aurobindo’s regular Remeron and had to switch brands. I will have to see if my pharmacist can order a different brand otherwise I will go back to the regular tablets.”

sethlutz · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 6, 2020

“Prescribed mirtazapine for both depression and insomnia and boy, has it been a miracle for my insomnia (which I feel also fuels my depression when it gets bad). I've taken this concurrently with an SSRI (currently escitalopram) and I do feel like there's also been a general improvement in my mood since starting.”

Freya · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 4, 2020

“I’ve been on mirtazapine at 15mg for the past 3-4 months. Predominantly for depression although I have anxiety and c-ptsd also. It seems to be helping, although I’m not sure if that’s due to the drug itself or compensatory lifestyle changes - those being forcing myself to eat better and exercise. It seems to have helped my anxiety greatly. I’ve gained 5-10 pounds and my nightmares seem to be more common although that may be due to being in a bad headspace hence needing to take the drug in the first place. I don’t know. Sertraline was awful for me and gave me hypomanic episodes along with emotional blunting and increased anger. I think I’m more irritable on this too although I don’t know. I just want to feel normal again. This seems to be helping somewhat”

will · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 31, 2020

Remeron (mirtazapine): “If you can tolerate Remeron then it can be great. It did wonders for IBS/sleep however it did make me get irritated easily and helped a little for anxiety but I was not able to give it long enough to see how much it would have helped. As I raised my dosage I had side effects that the doctor said would not go away if I continued so I had to stop it. I can also tell you that doctors seem to think this a drug that is easy to get off of but after 6 weeks and being told I can quit cold turkey it was not pleasant and obvious withdrawal symptoms. It can take a week before the drug is out of your system so this can last awhile. I would only recommend this as a last resort.”

Ad · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 25, 2020

“I have been on mirtazipine for nearly 2 years now on 45mg at night. It has really worked for me put on wight which was needed. Mood been ok but recently I am feeling emotional numb and have no get up a go in me, anyone else feel the same?”

Kev h · Taken for less than 1 month January 24, 2020

“Turned me into a zombie that kept falling asleep, please be careful”

Mnich · Taken for less than 1 month January 22, 2020

Remeron (mirtazapine): “I was prescribed 7.5 mg remeron along with 50mg of zoloft. I've only taken two doses and it left me in a zombie state for two days. I slept but I slept from 11 pm to 11 am which is obviously unrealistic. Even after I woke up I felt OUT OF IT, as if I was on drugs almost and was exhausted all day. I also felt like my thinking was off and like I couldn't even form a sentence, it is very terrifying. It is almost like my brain can't process what is going on in front of me, even my vision felt off.I don't plan on taking this anymore.”

Anonymous January 22, 2020

“Mirtazapine is ultimately a good medication for depression. You have to persevere with it though; this means feeling very cranky for a few days and feeling like a zombie. It is a Godsend for sleep anxiety at 15mg. Pros : Very good for sexual function ; great for sleep Cons: Not very motivating!”