User Reviews for Mirtazapine to treat Depression

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Mirtazapine has an average rating of 6.8 out of 10 from a total of 503 ratings for the treatment of Depression. 54% of those users who reviewed Mirtazapine reported a positive effect, while 20% reported a negative effect.

Mirtazapine Rating Summary

6.8/10 average rating

Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Mirtazapine

M · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 27, 2021

Remeron (mirtazapine): “I’ve struggled with severe nausea induced by anxiety for years. I went to countless doctors thinking it was a GI issue, but they couldn’t find anything. I finally went to a psychiatrist and she prescribed me Remeron. I occasionally get nauseous still, but it is bearable and doesn’t prevent me from doing every day things like it did if I take this medication on schedule. If I forget to take it one day, the nausea returns but I am able to live everyday life normally with this pill. The one thing I will say is that this pill will knock you out. I work early in the morning and have to take this pill and go to sleep around 7 pm every night, but that is doable for me and definitely worth the benefits of this medication. This medication saved me!!”

JamsieBunny · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 14, 2021

“Been taking Mirtazapine for about 2 years now, but had a years break from it as I moved across the country and had so much trouble seeing a GP. I was given my regular dose of 30mg but after taking it for one night, I felt I needed to split the tablet for a few days as I felt groggy as anything. After about a week, I was back onto a whole 30mg tablet and have had no negative side effects. Not only does this medication help enormously with my anxiety, depression and PTSD. It helps me stay focused during the day. If you're scared to start taking Mirtazapine then just remember there's always going to be changes in your mood/daily routine for the first few weeks but once you've gotten over those, it'll settle and you'll get a routine back on track. I knew this is what I needed before getting put back on them. I still get anxiety about going out late in the evening but it's getting better for me to do that.”

LaReynadelSur · Taken for 10 years or more April 13, 2021

“My doctor prescribed for depression anxiety and inmsomnia”

Me! · Taken for less than 1 month March 28, 2021

Remeron (mirtazapine): “TLDR: Alleviated body panic and sleeping issues. Do not take if you already have issues managing symptoms of depression. I was prescribed this for PTSD and because my sensitivity to noise disrupted my sleep. Sudden noises produced a sort of 'fight or flight' response from my body that was typically followed by an emotional response. Remeron dials down that nervous response. I haven't woken to foot steps while on it and I have become significantly less sensitive to surprises. Beware, your body will take time to get used to this medication. For the first week I was horribly lethargic. After that I had issues with anger and rage filled outbursts. Always keep in mind that drugs are just a fraction of what it takes to be mentally well. To all reading this, I love you and I'm proud of you for being here.”

Anon · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 14, 2020

Remeron (mirtazapine): “I am an alcoholic/addict who had been self medicating through any illicit substance I could get my hands on for over 10 years. Remeron was suggested in treatment since I’ve suffered with anxiety/social anxiety/major depression for so many years that I had lost hope in ever getting better. Remeron worked fast and with counseling/meditation/exercise, and I felt like a person again. I was on Remeron for about 4 months until I tapered off my 7.5 mg dose. For me less was more. About 10 months later I noticed my depression creeping up and since I’ve been sober/clean for about 15 months I felt like I fell short in mental health maintenance (when I really didn’t) So I went to see a doctor and got back on 15mg and the next day the medication was already working better than I could have ever hoped for. I didn’t want to accept the fact that I was getting depressed but if I didn’t reach out for help it would of led me down the road to relapse.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 11, 2020

“I am going through something major in my life right now. I am extremely depressed (not suicidal). I cry a lot. Could not get more than 4 hours of sleep. Also I felt completely worthless due to the chaos in my life recently. I felt like I was falling apart. I am not a fan of medications. But I knew I needed the extra pick me up. I was prescribed Merrazapine. And let me tell you. I now get amazing sleep! I do not feel hopeless I’m not crying. I feel like I can get through my struggle without stressing myself out. My dose of mirtazapine is 15mg 1x a day before bed. I am extremely satisfied.”

Dave · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 5, 2020

Remeron (mirtazapine): “I really like this medication. I‘d always been wary of antidepressants because of the well known side effects but being an SSRI I gave this one a shot. Never looked back. Gained maybe 8 pounds but you cant tell because I look and feel so much healthier and happier. Little to no side effects other than that 8 pounds, I can finally sleep again. Woke up a little dizzy in the morning for the first 2 or 3 weeks but it doesn't happen anymore. You probably WON'T ever forget to take it and you won’t be able to sleep without it once you’re on it, but my quality of life is so much higher I don't mind”

Noel Garnet · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 10, 2020

“I've taken Mirtazapine (30 mg) in the orodispersible version for severe depression with insomnia and other disorders. This medication really helped me out, it has litterally saved me. I'm a whole different person after the cure with it. No side effects on me. I recommend taking it in the evening if possible, because this antidepressant has very strong antihistamine properties (I no longer had allergic rhinitis or urticaria from pollen and dust), so it leads to a marked sleepiness. For this reason, it is useful in case of insomnia. My overall opinion is excellent, it pulled me out of a very bad situation of inner suffering that I thought was unfortunately chronic over time. I have not had any withdrawal symptoms after discontinuation. This antidepressant does not affect nor the sexual drive nor the sexual function.”

Moh arif · Taken for less than 1 month August 23, 2020

“This mirtazapine medicine is amazing they did greatly for my anxiety and depression, fuzzy brain. I was thinking that no medication is available in this world to cure my mental illness I had tried every ssri, snri and benzodiazepine but they did nothing for my disorder rather than gave me side effects”

Coco February 19, 2020

Remeron (mirtazapine): “I was taking mirtazapine for around a year and had I been in a better space I would have gotten off it as soon as I realised it was causing certain effects on me. Minor side effects - sluggishness, major weigh gain. I was prescribed this medication due to having poor sleep but it made me have vivid awful dreams - sleep paralysis multiple times a night. I used to sleep for 14+ hours, usually in the day due to being worried about falling asleep for the nightmares. It caused me to miss lots of university - I was so tired and drowsy I could not physically get up. I wish I had been able to understand the effect it was having on my body and stop them sooner. I was severely suicidal. I made plans almost daily, even walking to the shop I thought about walking in front of buses. It was a truly awful time in my life, made worse by a medication which did not suit me. I’m glad it has worked for some, but If anyone I knew personally were to tell me they were taking it, I would advise them not to.”

CrystalBrown · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 22, 2020

“10/10 I feel amazing!! Been miserable most of my life until I started taking this!! My anxiety’s gone I sleep better I’m not angry or worried ! My house is tidy and me and the kids are happy! absulutely recommend to anyone who suffers depression/anxiety/insomnia”

Medic14 · Taken for less than 1 month November 8, 2014

Remeron (mirtazapine): “I have suffered from severe disabling anxiety and depression for over a year now. I'm a paramedic, and father of 2 children and it greatly affected by ability to work, or even go to work and also my ability to enjoy my children when I had them. Lost 30-40lbs. After trying every SSRI on the market for 4 weeks and finally developing suicidal thoughts I checked myself in to a hospital. Within 4 days of starting Rememron- depression was completely relieved. Still have anxiety at times, no panic attacks. VERY FEW SIDE EFFECTS. Had sweating the first 2 days, that's it. GREAT MEDICINE FOR ME!!!!!!! I'm eating again and feeling great!”

Xag · Taken for less than 1 month June 2, 2020

Remeron (mirtazapine): “I’m on my 8th day since I started taking half of a 30mg pill before I go to sleep everyday. It helps me have a very good night sleep, has enhanced my appetite and is helping me cope and deal with the hard situation I’m facing. I am satisfied with the results so far although I feel sleepy all day long.”

Never Again May 14, 2020

Remeron (mirtazapine): “I literally split a 15mg down to into 8ths because my body is so sensitive. Wow... I have been out of it for DAYS.. I cannot stop sleeping. Put me in a horrible weird state like I don't know what's going on or like I'm truly awake. Just feel 'out of it' .. Off of a sliver! I have read contradictory things about dosing. I would indeed say and agree with that the lower doses are VERY sedating. Very weirdly vivid (not nightmarish) dreams... I had a gene test done and this medication was on my "lower doses maybe be required" I can't even imagine what a high dose would do! This is completely staying on my 'NO!' list! Be careful of this medication because it is POWERFUL. I feel like I've just been high for days. Like I've just been smoking the most dank weed and I've just been stuck in this high. When I wake up I feel like I'm manic, like I just have a huge rush of anxiety. I wanted to try this because I am experiencing "heartburn" like chest pain that isn't acid related at all..”

Sebbyboy · Taken for less than 1 month May 5, 2014

Remeron (mirtazapine): “My main problem is a pretty bad insomnia / anxiety. I tried several natural products over the last 3 years (melatonine, Valerian root, Tea, GABA, Magnesium etc...) as well as using good sleeping habits. I just couldn't support the lack of sleep anymore (hundreds of night without sleeping in the last year) so my GP prescribed me with Zoplicone & Trazodone. It didn't work and my anxiety went pretty bad. I finally pushed my GP to prescribe Remeron. After one week I regained my sleeping cycle at 15mg. Little to no side effects for me except I feel a bit sleepy until 10AM. Really mild anti-depressant, far from SSRI really bad side & withdrawal effects. Try it without fear.”

Kessie June 2, 2020

“Took for about a month, starting on 15 mg a day. Never been so tired in my life. Went up to 30 mg because the tiredness is supposed to ease then. It did slightly but after a few days my skin was like sandpaper and eyes constantly watering, and both very sore. Didn't really feel better at all mentally, actually worse because I felt I had dropped about 50 IQ points and not able to think clearly to find solutions to problems. Felt despairing, too despairing to demonstrably show anger but there all the time in my mind, along with the worst depression ever. I needed to find something that I know I have to live with for the rest of my life. Took hours to wake up, a few hours where I would be sort of functioning, then go to bed very early, not just because of exhaustion but also because I couldn't do anything anyway because of constantly wiping my eyes.”

AnonAnonAnon · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 16, 2014

Remeron (mirtazapine): “Probably the best antidepressant I've taken in terms of overall effect and side effects (minimal side effects). Also, I noted the improvement in days, vs weeks for SSRI/SNRI's. It's not like being hit by a dose of Ritalin but just was a general sense of wanting to get back in the game, feeling ok, but not "locked in" - still have a good range of emotions.”

HERE · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 7, 2020

Remeron (mirtazapine): “REMERON/MIRTAZAPINE was wonderful the first two weeks particulary because I felt dismal for 50 years then mirtazapine came about. But after two weeks of a new life of positivity things changed to a life of pain nausea apathy crying worrying close to zero motivation even to use the restroom. I can go on and on , basically now I wonder why people live for 100% negativity literally even when you list all things. I wish I never experienced the good from this drug because now mental torture and horrible chronic pains would best describe my life!!!”

Anonymous June 10, 2008

Remeron (mirtazapine): “I've been taking this for about a year. The sedative effects have decreased as time has passed. It gives me a huge appetite right before I go to sleep, but I can avoid it with some self-control. It also made me dizzy during the first week or two, but that has also disappeared. I have energy, focus and humor again. It's an effective antidpressant.”

Gorillafuzz May 19, 2013

Remeron (mirtazapine): “I'm a 43 year old woman and I've been on 30mg Remeron for over 10 years now, it was prescribed for major depression and generalized anxiety disorder. I was NOT sleeping at all, when I first started taking it I was a walking zombi for about 2-3 months (got some much needed sleep) however after that it's like someone opened a window in a dark room. I was feeling 80% normal (prior to taking it I was in the negative) I'll take 80% any day. You should take it an hour or so before bed time because it has a huge sedative effect and take care in the beginning because its potent to begin with. It takes time for it to start really working so don't be put off by the zombi state, it does go away.”

anikasonline December 28, 2019

“Taking mirtazapine also for major panic disorder and PTSD, major depressive disorder for over a decade, have tried 6-7 different antidepressants. On the mirtazapine I am significantly happier, panic attacks decreased to 1 every month if not every other month, or every few months, and even when I'm on my cycle. Panic disorder and depression was incredibly debilitating, so I didn't sleep at all since. When I was put on this, I am able to sleep through peacefully every night fully through to each morning. I highly recommend taking this with a snack or food if you have a sensitive stomach as this may cause nausea. First few weeks, had a hard time waking up every morning, irritable for the first few months. I eat more on this medication, but its fine with me. This medication is not a cure-all, I still have my bad days here and there, but my good days override my bad ones. Have faith, stay on the medication for a bit. I wish you all the best, support and love if you are taking this and it is hard for you. You got this.”

Mirtazapine1 · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 6, 2019

Remeron (mirtazapine): “Prior to taking mirtazapine/Remeron I had been on most SSRI, SNRI type drugs. I had chronic depression, suicidal ideation and anxiety. Before taking Mirtazapine I was starting to think all these drugs were a joke or a big con. I also didn't realise how ill I was until I started Mirtazapine, it's been a revelation! The first month I went manic and had a few side effects, since then I've had the first three years of my life without any major episodes. My insomnia has basically disappeared and I sleep like clockwork 2 hours after taking 30 mg. I can't describe just how grateful I am it's not just changed my mood but also my whole frame of reference and outlook, it's something akin to changing the colour of a lens on a camera, where once everything looked dark now everything looks bright. Anxiety The one area where it's been a help but has not solved the problem is anxiety. My anxiety has improved but I'm still trying to find a med that targets panic attacks and anxiety disorder.”

954Girl · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 1, 2016

Remeron (mirtazapine): “Fantastic medicine! I have insomnia, depression and anxiety. Helps me fall asleep and sleep hard all through the night. I wake up feeling refreshed. This pill gives me lots of energy. Imy back on my bicycle and hitting my home gym daily. I feel confident in myself for the first time and almost feel guilty for not having constant self depreciating thoughts. Thankful God has given me powerful healing in this medicine. A tool against the devil, I no longer hear his lies so much. Living happily ”

cf June 3, 2019

Remeron (mirtazapine): “I NEVER REALIZED HOW BAD I WAS UNTIL I STARTED FEELING GOOD AGAIN!! Remeron has changed my life. I had anxiety and depression and I had tried zoloft, buspar, wellbutrin, and am on lexapro still. Some of my worst anxiety symptoms were nausea, lack of appetite ,and vivid dreams. I am currently on lexapro 15 mg with 7.5 mg remeron that I started a little over a week ago. I was scared to try it because I am sensitive to medication changes but the first night I slept amazing, fell asleep easy and woke up with a quiet mind. I still had vivid dreams but I did not have an anxiety producing reaction. I was scared I would never find an answer to my anxiety disorder which resulted in depression as well. Highly recommended if dealing with insomnia, vivid dreams, and lack of appetite. I did not have any weight gain but did have food cravings for the first day or so but other than that this drug was side effect free. The weight has finally been lifted off my shoulders and the mind is much quieter.”

RC11234 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 20, 2013

Remeron (mirtazapine): “I had been taking Remeron for about 6 months. I am 23 years of age and have had sleep problems my whole life. For 6 months my life was great. Everything seemed just perfect. 2 months ago I decided to stop taking it cold turkey. BAD idea. Within the last month the side effects began to kick in. Extreme anxiety, anger, sleeplessness, overall feeling of worthlessness came upon me. It was absolutely terrible! Today my doctor put me back on the medicine and tonight I'll be taking it again. I am so excited to see what lies ahead. If you take Remeron PLEASE do not quit taking it cold turkey on your own. Seek a doctors advice.”

Kimi B. February 17, 2013

Remeron (mirtazapine): “I have ADHD, OCD, and depression. The moment I took this medication my intrusive thoughts from OCD went away. I am no longer depressed, even when life should be getting me down. Everything seems bearable. I just feel like things are okay, I can make it. I've never felt like this before, really. Most of the time I get overwhelmed with life but I think this medication has pulled me out of the dark hole I was in before. It does make me very hungry and sleepy, I take it in the evenings. It's hard to get up in the morning but coffee fixes that for me. I don't recommend this to someone who can not control their eating habits and gains weight easily.”

niamhnatasha · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 2, 2020

“I’m on mirtazapine 15mg. It works for me but I’m asking my doctor to up the dosage soon, as I’m still not 100%. I experienced severe side effects on SSRI’s (prozac), so this is a good alternative (as it’s a NASSA). The side effects I experienced were quite bad lethargy and tiredness for the first 5 days or so, but after >2months on it now, it doesn’t make me tired at all now. I’ve also experienced weight gain, but that outweighs the benefits of this drug, so I’m happy to stay on mirtazapine despite that. Overall, I would definitely recommend this drug, especially to those who can’t be on SSRI’s or SNRI’s. ( also I’m in the UK, so the insurance questions don’t really apply to me, but I pay the standard £9.50 or so for my prescription. )”

Trytrytry · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 18, 2020

Remeron (mirtazapine): “I was feeling very depressed 3 years ago and I've always suffered from anxiety, I tried other anti-depressants but the side affects were horrendous so I started on 15mg Mirtazapine, they started to work after a few days. I felt calm and my anxiety reduced hugely, I also slept very well. They will give you very vivid dreams, after a few weeks I started feeling anxious/agitated during the day so I popped another pill and that did the trick after an hour. The Doc upped my dose then to 30mg and they worked great at night. But I felt very anxious in the morning so the Doc very unusually apparently prescribed 15mg for the morning, that really did the trick. Fast forward 3 years, I'm still on the 45mg and they still help me sleep, my mood however is a little on the low side, anxiety is quite bad, in a nutshell they work less and less the longer you are on them, I'm now thinking of tapering off them and trying some talking therapy even if I am a little sceptical of the value of doing so.”