User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Mirtazapine Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Mirtazapine to treat Depression

"Safe drug but slow motion , delay processing, but not fully controlled"

Jaibir Sharma (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug saved my degree, and life. I’ve struggled with depression and anxiety for nearly 15 years, I’ve tried all the SSRIs which didn’t help much, then I found this and it’s changed my life! The first few couple of days were rough, I felt completely spaced out, and not in a good Valium-ish way, it wasn’t great but it passed pretty quickly but bear that in mind if you start this while you’re in employment. It can take a while to start working, for me it was instant for insomnia, 4 weeks for mood and 3-4 months for anxiety. But it far passed my expectations, I feel something like “normal” now. If you’ve not had much hope from Citalopram, Sertraline etc I’d highly recommend it. Downside is hunger but less so at higher doses so stick with it"

Mrak (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Remeron SolTab (mirtazapine): "Best antidepressant ever. Also great for insomnia, OCD, anxiety and allergies. Isn't addictive and doesn't cause withdrawal in my exp. Also the effectiveness doesn't decrease with continuous long-term usage."

DaveAD (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on mirts 4 months now I only take 7.5mg but it has worked for me my anxiety has stopped and I am now weening off over 2 weeks hope I'm ok but will go back on it if not hope this helps good luck anybody unfortunate to suffer the dreaded anxiety xx"

Old gal (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Remeron (mirtazapine): "I've been on Effexor for several years and suffered severe sexual effects so went to the doc and he started me on Remeron. For the last three years I've been training cardio 5-6 times a week, had lost 10 kg and feeling quite proud of my body. Now at just over three months on Remeron I started feeling my clothes getting tighter, am feeling fat, bloated and lethargic. I can't train with the intensity I am used to and just want to go to bed earlier and earlier. I weighed myself the other day and to my horror found I'd put on 11 kg. I don't feel I've been eating much more than I used to. Of course the realization that I've lost everything I've worked for in recent years has made me feel pretty bad, and I'm not sure I want to continue."

Craigers (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm taking 15mg for ~2 months the problem is that 15mg is not enough for depression and when I take 30MG I will have a lot of anxiety .So it is not bad in low dosage be aware of increased anxiety when you take it in 30MG or more. I'm thinking to take it in low dosage 15MG with another drugI will check with my PD."

Markos17 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Mirtazapine is a good medication! My experience with it has been positive! It got me sleeping when I was unable to sleep at all for 3 weeks due to severe to extreme depression! Paxil made my depression worse; mirtazapine reversed my severe depression in 4 days at 15 mg! I wasn't able to sleep more than 1 hour a day for 3 weeks! Also was extremely hopeless and sad! All I could is to sit on the couch unable to leave home! I had no energy! I was scared to take this but I had no choice! It helped within 4 days! The sleep improved slowly on it over a few weeks but my sleep was still fragmented! It does not fix sleep right away! It took about 4 weeks before I could sleep properly! It took me about 2 months to adjust and feel normal on this med"

Izn (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I’ve been on Mirtazapine for about three - four years now. In the beginning I was groggy throughout the day & I have gained quite a bit of weight, but it’s worked wonders for my depression. I find it’s less effective against the anxiety, for which I am taking quetiapine & propranolol. It has a sedative effect so I take it before bed. I also found though, with this medication I would have bizarre dreams that felt very, very real. Overall, very little side effects & wonderful at tackling my depression. But again - wouldn’t use this for anxiety."

Emma1992 October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It's been a lifesaver for me, and I won't give it up anytime soon, I've come down from 7 AD's (yes, 7) to this only one with 5mg of escitalo, which I think I could give up too."

PeterBelelius September 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Remeron SolTab (mirtazapine): "I take Remeron Soltab (Mirtazapine) half an hour before bed for insomnia and depression and it has completely removed all my symptoms. Highly recommend for anyone with insomnia, depression or anxiety. It is also superbly effective for allergies and takes care of my runny and stuffed nose. It may be the strongest yet safest antihistamine for rhinitis. Sleep is good and refreshing. Not taking anything else, not needing anything else. Took me out of a really dangerous time in my life."

YippeeKaye September 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on mirtazipine for two years now. 45 mg at first must admit was not very enthusiastic as I had tried a few others but must admit given the way I was at the time was a godsend to me !! It took a good while to get into my system at the start . Sweats . Nightmares and even more panicking but once they started to work I have completely changed my life !! I am now back performing on stage singing and nobody would ever know that I suffer with depression! But one thing I am aware of is if I run out of my pills .. like I did when I went on holiday and decided to stay an extra 10 days !! I was in the world of trouble !! .. the withdrawal from such a dose is absolutely terrifying!! And needs to be done with support and doctors!!"

Nikki mc September 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worst psychiatric drug I've ever taken. I've had bad side effects from regular SSRI's, so I was put on Mirtazapine 30mg. It knocked me out and turned me into a depressed zombie. I had SEVERE sedation, confusion, and dizziness which lasted all of next day. This continued for 4 days. It also made me extremely suicidal and I had to get an emergency Ketamine infusion which instantly lifted my depression and suicidal thoughts. Never taking this again."

Ar7897 August 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"In one night my life changed , I passed out without any reason and the next day I was depressed, I couldn't eat and sleep. I was extremely tired and my blood pressure was very high. I also had regularly heart palpitations. After several medical examinations I was put on mirtazapine: Effect on sleep: works instantly, sometimes I did get weird dreams but after 4 weeks this also passed. Effect on depressed mood: it took 2 weeks before I experienced that my mood was getting better, after 4 weeks my mood was good. Effect on appetite: you get hungry but not very extremely. Side effects: the drug makes you extremely tired but this took exactly a month before it wears off. Now my energy is completely back. I am on this medicine for 6 weeks"

Kaan (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have BP2 and was put on Remeron for a crushing depression that lasted for several months, which Cymbalta was not helping, even though I had been on it for many years. At first, Remeron was my miracle drug. Within 48 hours, my depression had broken and I no longer needed to take Ambien to sleep at night. But within a month, I put on 14 pounds and that was completely unacceptable. I went off Remeron immediately, with no withdrawal symptoms. If you are depressed and don't have weight issues or are experiencing decreased appetite, this is the drug for you. But for anyone that struggles with their weight, I would not recommend it."

JLGT August 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Remeron SolTab (mirtazapine): "Have been on combination of 60mg Cymbalta and 15mg of remeron for 2 years, The latter for insomnia, which I had when On only Cymbalta for GAD. This has reduced My symptoms almost completely. I do dream frequently,but nothing that Causes a problem. I do move about while Sleeping and have fallen out of bed on occasion. Pillows on the floor eliminated the danger"

Older male August 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"When I was taking mirtazapine, it worked very well and very fast. My depression completely disappeared. I ended up stopping the medication slowly several months later after I had gained 40 pounds. When I stopped, my appetite went away and I barely eat now. I was not feeling well the last couple months. Very tired and anxiety and hot flashes. Come to find out I am now prediabetic. My blood sugar is really hard to keep up at a normal level. I loved the medication except that I gained so much weight so quickly and now I am stuck with blood sugar problems."

LilLinds August 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffered from insomnia, anxiety and depression. Over course of 2 years I have tried citralopram & sertraline. None of these have been as effective as Mirtazapine, to the point where friends, family & colleagues noticed huge positive changes in my personality. I started on 15mg which instantly cured my insomnia (WOW!) & a lift in mood (after a week). After 2 weeks I requested my GP put me on a standard dosage of 30mg. I have been on this for 2 months (best effects after week 4) & I FEEL GREAT! I am happy, outgoing, eating and sleeping properly again &finally feel the old fun, strong me is coming back. There are odd bad days but now it is easier to SNAP OUT OF IT & get back on track. THANK YOU MIRTAZAPINE FOR GIVING ME BACK MY JOIE DE VIVRE!"

itgetsbetterboy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have used other meds for depression, citalopram,sertraline....headaches and stuff. Mirtazapine, maybe because I take at night don't have many bad symptoms apart from bad dreams. Anything for a better life..,,:)"

Bovvered (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The drug did well for me to decrease anxiety and increase my appetite. I had lost a lot of weight because the anxiety kept me from eating. However, I got terrible leg muscle spasms at night and was unable to sleep at all some nights and only partial nights on the nights I did sleep. Lack of sleep created its own problems. When I went off it for a day the muscle spasms decreased but the anxiety returned."

anonymous0113 (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Remeron (mirtazapine): "I've been taking Remeron for a little over a month now. Since taking it I do sleep better however I have been having very strange unusual dreams that I wouldn't regularly dream about. My dreams are more vivid and life like although I know it's not real. Also the day after taking the medication I can't seem to fully wake up - like I never feel fully rested."

Mander Rae July 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had tried Escitalopram, Doxepin and almost everything else before I was prescribed Mirtazapine. Within a week to two I felt like myself again, my anhedonia disappeared and I started taking interests in things again. work and interest in hobbies has returned and I am sleeping better than ever with nary a feeling of drowsiness in the am. For depression or insomnia this is the pill to take."

Carrib (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have heard mixed things about this drug, different people having very mixed experiences. From my personal experience it really wasn't the right drug for me. I have suffered from major depressive disorder, anxiety and panic disorder for 3-5 years (I'm 18) and it didn't seem to help as much as sertraline/Zoloft did. And not to mention how mind numbingly tired I have felt, I was told the sedation would go away but for me it stayed. Also strangely my insomnia got worse when my doctor thought it would help? So I guess if you already suffer with insomnia it might not be for you either, but it's worth a go I guess. If you're not on a high dose it's reasonably easy to quit, easier to stop than Zoloft I'd say. Thanks for reading and good luck!"

hollyh678 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

" I have Persistent Depressive Disorder. This meds effects are apparent rapidly within 1 week. It's side-effects are all positive. no stomach problems. no insomnia. allergies are taken care of. for dysthymia this is the best medicine ever."

CCCarson45 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I finally wound up on Remeron about 15 years ago (circa 2002), after going through many SSRI antidepressants. All of the SSRI's I have tried have caused sexual side effects that I don't want to tolerate (delayed ejaculation). Remeron does not do this, in fact it seems to make it very easy to achieve orgasm. The only downside to Mirtazapine is that it increases your appetite and you have to fight the urge to eat too many carbs. It controls my anxiety, depression and OCD excellently."

Dale in Atlanta (taken for 10 years or more) July 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication made me soo tired. I would wake up at normal time, eat and then sleep. This process just kept repeating. I couldn't function and had to stop after 1 week. The effect wore off after a day."

Mr S (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2017