User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Mirtazapine Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Mirtazapine to treat Anxiety

"Do not take this bad medication. It's highly addictive. Hard to come off like Xanax. This is good sleeping pill. Yes it's calm down at night if it takes on night but after waking up it's giving hang over like you drunk 15 shots of vodka the night before"

Shiv shiv December 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug is good for depression but not for anxiety."

Markus86 December 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on it for about 3 years now, side effects like drowsiness are a given, it goes away with time and adjustment. Once you're good on it you'll know, it takes time (as the doctor will tell you). Kind of worried of long term use side effects after reading online but for now it helps. be back with any updates"

freddyg4 November 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Loved this medication. Particularly loved the sedative side effect, because I had been unable to sleep more than an hour or two at a time, prior to taking mirtazapine. The only drawback was that my appetite, and consequently my weight increased dramatically over time. After taking it for 10 years I had to find a medication that would not make it so difficult to lose and maintain weight, but I have never found a medication that made me feel so good, relaxed, and able to sleep."

AnaChristina12 (taken for 10 years or more) November 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on mirtazapine for a while now and my anxiety was mostly kept in check until I had a pulmonary embolism which can cause anxiety, then the anxiety kicked into high gear. The Dr increased the dosage from 15mg to 30mg. Hopefully that will provide some relief, so I can rate the drug as a 10"

Jim Dee (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Don't listen to any of the negative comments in regards to this medicine. I currently take 30mg at night. It helps with anxiety during the day and does keep u asleep at night. No real side effects with this medication. Of course it is a sedative so u r bound to be a bit sleepy at times but honestly it's not bad. More like calm then groggy. Only changes I found in myself since taking this medication is I find I don't have a deep sleep. Seems to be more like a light sleep with dreams but it's still restful and I don't regret this medication at all it's been fantastic. People say u gain weight on it but thats not true for everyone. I didn't find it made me hungry. No different then usual."

Knsk (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 4, 2017

"Make you drowsy"

Poe1974 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on this medication for about 4 months now. When I first started taking it, it knocked me out hard and when I woke up I could barely walk straight. I was so dizzy and off balance it scared me. My doctor told me that it is normal and to just stick through it. I felt better the 2nd and 3rd month, while it didn’t take away my panic/anxiety disorder it did help a little bit. Now I’m on month 4, I have been having panic attacks in the middle of the night. I get weird panic Attacks which shows in uncomfortable physical symptoms. I am now going back to the doctor to see if there is anything else I can do to improve or change my medication. This did help me get off Xanax 0.25-0.5 mg for 3 months but now I need it again occasionally."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This med works great but these 7.5mg and 15mg doses I see on here seem low. At those levels it will make you so hungry (at least in my case). Just try 45mg and see if it works for you. I have also found that a little effexor mixed with it causes the hunger from each to cancel out."

beansdad October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on this med for 5 days now. I feel the hunger! I am constantly craving food. Sleep wise it knocks me out and keeps me asleep which is great as my anxiety usually wakes me up through out the night. I do feel a little better mood wise but not enough. I am on 15mg, one before bed. The groggy sleepy feeling has started to wear off today and I am able to function. I feel like this could work if it wasn't for the weight gain, I struggle with my weight as a size 14. I don't want to now feel depressed because I've put on weight. I've given it a 5 as I am still unsure, I don't know if I will renew this prescription."

KMH90 September 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had Generalized Anxiety since a child along with panic issues. I'm now 28 and continue a life of anxiety. I had my share of drug abuse as well to self treat my anxiety but in the end all that stuff made my anxiety worse. Not my fault my docs could not treat me. I've been on a variety of anti depressants and anti anxiety meds but I don't get access to benzos anymore, even if I have a panic attack because my doctor refuses to ever trust me with anything addictive so I'm stuck with meds like mirtazapine. It is great for sleep that's for sure. Also great for nightmares. Oh man the nightmares I've had! Great stuff I say. The nightmares.. Not the drug. I've been on it over a month now at 7.5mg and I still have a lot of anxiety."

Jimmyjn121 September 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking the drug for about 5 years for an anxiety. It was an absolute godsend for me. It takes a few days for the body to settle in but it's worth it. It allows me to function normally. Yes it does have a sedative effect but l take it at night which only helps me get to sleep. Yes l still suffer from mild anxiety occasionally but it is manageable. This allows me to focus on the cause which is usually procrastination of life issues such as money/health."

Greggles August 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have started the mirtaz 7.5mg from last night. Unfortunately, I strongly feel the dizziness."

JH Alaric August 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed 15MG for anxiety, nervousness and troubles sleeping. I struggled to fall asleep and only slept for 3-5 hours I'm now getting a full nights sleep 8 hrs+. I recommend taking them a good 1-2 hrs before bed, (I usually take them at 20:00 and my alarm is set for 7:00 - 7:30). I find it a struggle to get up and out of bed but that is normal for me. I get a really good night sleep and some pretty funky dreams. If I do wake up for any reason it isn't long before I fall back to sleep. They melt on your tongue and have a slight orangey taste, and leave your mouth numb but not for long. My anxiety has calmed down a lot and was sleeping a bit better after week 3. My appetite increased for the 1st month but returned to normal."

Sarah199 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking low dose mirtazapine (3.75 mgs) for about 10 wks now for anxiety, insomnia and mild depression. I was prescribed this after being unable to tolerate SSRI anti depressants and having a very bad reaction to Lexapro. Mirtazapine has worked well for insomnia and I started noticing improvements in anxiety levels and mood within 3-4 wks of starting. I initially had a mild increase in appetite but no weight gain, and my appetite is now normal. The drawback to this med is daytime fatigue/groggy sensation that does not lift until late afternoon. I was told this would improve with time, but it has not. For this reason I will likely taper off the med soon - not something I can put up with long term despite being effective for insomnia/anxiety."

Babe21 August 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on this mirtazapine for over a mo. Started out 30mg but went to 45mg, Then my dr. said stop taking it and started me on a different med. Could not take what he gave me so he said I could start back on 45mg. mirtazpine but it has been over a week and I really would try to to not take it, Would it be ok not to take it . I'm a little anxious today."

Anonymous August 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Not only was this medicine not helpful, it made me a zombie. I took a quarter of a pill in the lowest dose available. Within 15 minutes I literally could not function and had to stop what I was in the middle of and go to bed. I woke up after a full nights rest and was still in a fog. As I drove to work, I was so out of it. I would snap back to reality for a second and be scared that I passed my exit, which was still miles away, because I just wasn't with it. I also nearly missed an appointment because (despite reminding myself more than once during the day that I needed to get to this appointment) I completely forgot. I stayed in a zombie like state all day."

Reddhead August 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had acute anxiety since I was a kid, I am now 26. I have been put on a range of medications to help with panic attacks over the years and have been on Mirtazapine for 4 months now and it has worked better than anything else. I still have panic attacks but they are mild and infrequent, in comparison to the 6-10 I was having per week beforehand. excellent medication!"

Samjoy August 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on this drug for over a year now and it's safe to say mirtazapine saved my life I was having really bad anxiety for 3 to 4 month and that brought on the depression it got that bad I was running into the wall to try stop the feeling. After the doctors seen me they put me on Mirtazapine on 15mg for 6 week. I dramatically seen a difference in the anxiety but still was feeling really down so the doctors put in up to 30mg and have been on since. I can go to my job with no problems. But every now and then the anxiety still comes back but I'm learning to deal with the issue that bring the anxiety on"

M moody July 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My son was prescribed Mirtazapine for severe anxiety. It helped a little bit and also his medicine for his bi polar disorder helped (Depakote). However, once the anxiety decreased he should have had the Mirtazapine stopped by the psychiatrist. This did not happen and he eventually had a severe psychotic breakdown where he tried to smash up his home, attacked his partner and believed aliens were after him . He was in hospital for over 2 months after the police had him sectioned."

L Hegarty (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was prescribed for anxiet. I don't get anxiety daily but certain situations cause horrible anxiety and panic so doctor thought this might keep me calmer overall to avoid moments of panic. Started on 7.5mg for 6 days. First few days on that felt like I was on a low dose of diazepam. Then felt nothing. Increased to 15mg for three weeks. Noticed I still felt anxious in same situations. Upped to 22.5. Anxiety felt worse. Went back down to 15mg and tapering off it. No withdrawal symptoms lowering dose. Currently on 7.5mg at 5 weeks of being on this. I sleep deeply on it but have very vivid dreams. I've experienced sleep paralysis one night which was scary. Some other horrible dreams too occasionally. Have had increased appetite."

Btcctb (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2017

"god sent for anxiety"

Anonymous July 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I think it's gonna help me just got on it yesterday with 1mg xanax "

Texaschic98 (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on this medication for approximately 8 weeks. I felt it did a great job with helping to sleep @ night but I felt more and more anxious and not able to sit still for long. It did help a bit with anxiety attacks but overall I would say this drug was mostly beneficial for sleeping at night."

Allisgood123 July 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I found this drug increases appetite rapidly and is very sedating, I do not feel it has worked for depression or anxiety, I am on the maximum dose and take it alongside another anti depressant. I have taken for approx 12 months, I am now reducing with the aim of stopping due to the weight gain and lack of real benefit."

RknR July 7, 2017