User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Mirtazapine Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Mirtazapine to treat Anxiety

"I was prescirbed 15mg at night so scared to take this after what i had read so i started on just a quarter of a tablet and thank god i did this tiny piece of tablet nearly had me passing out what would a whole one do?"

oldgraymare (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2016

"This medicine changed my life.. It made me feel well and travel freely without any anxiety stmptoms or panic attacks.. It was amazing for me.. Until suddenly i started to notice that am gaining weight. I was 53 kilograms.. And after taking remeron for three months am 78 kilograms. It made me feel hungry.. Cravings sweets, pastas, pizzaz... What ever i eat and how much will still keep me hungry.. Now it is depressing me because i gained weight and this changed how i use to look And sizes Am now on my fourth month of this medicine.. 30 mg.. And my anxiety and panic attacks are 30% back. My dr. Recomended to increase the dose to 45mg.. But i refused. Cbt is doing well.. But am depressed about this medicine.. Tried many others but got allergy"

Hamood als July 11, 2016

"Im not surev about this medication, I have hade good days and horrible ones. I think this has made my anxietie way worse. The withdrawl symptoms are horrible, i will never take this again."

keegs3324 July 1, 2016

"I was so scared to try these tablets. But I must say mood wise I'm feeling fab.They do help you sleep better and have vivid dreams but ive not had any scary ones! and they do make you feel like you don't want to wake up but you soon get out of it once your running around doing things. I looked them up on the net and saw nothing but scare stories. I started on 15mg and was terrified due to what id read. But they was fab! then I went to 30mg as people can start going downhill again on 15mg its completely normal. Then I went to 45mg and they sent me loopy (high serotonin levels) but after 3 days back to 30mg I was fine. I still get panic attacks but pills wont fix that problem. self help and cbt therapy fixes that apparently."

justhayley (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 29, 2016

"I've been taking it for depression/anxiety for about seven years now. The 1st time I took it I got a horrible restless feeling an hour after taking it..it was really horrible, pretty unbearable but after the second day I was fine. It is an excellent sleep aid, it knocks you out into a deep sleep with really vivid and usually pleasant dreams..getting out of bed afterwards is the only hard part! It leaves you pretty groggy and sedated for the start of the day. Everybody else is rushing around work getting stuff done and my brain is operating on half speed. For that reason I'm thinking of tapering off it. I also have a sense of apathy..everything is 'ok'..even when it's not..take it to get yourself better but get off it when you can"

jobobby1 June 28, 2016

"This medication has been brilliant for anxiety, insomnia and getting my appetite back. However, if you read the side effects of mirtazapine, it does indicate that weight gain is one of the main side effects of this medication regardless of how little you eat. READ IT! If you eat twice as much as usual you will become very overweight. Mirtazapine has really helped my depression, anxiety, insomnia and lack of appetite. I have put on 2 stone in 5 months on 15 mgs a day and that's without 'pigging out' I have decided to taper off by taking 15 mgs every other day for a couple of weeks then down to 15mgs 1 in3 days and see how it goes. I have started to notice a difference already I'm not mad enough to stop it completely its helped me so much"

Anonymous June 26, 2016

"I suffer from Sever Psychotic Depression I've been taking mirtazapine for up to 6 to 7 months. it worked well at the start but after a month it was like stuffing medication inside me and nothing helping. just yesterday I got 30mg and it helped a lot, maybe they help at the start but I'm scared I will get addicted . I have gained 3 stones because of the medication . I cant stop eating and after eating a big meal I'm still hungry, I feel lazy most of the time, Quetiapine is a failure, it will only help to fall asleep 30 mins or an hour after taking it, but the next morning i feel worse hallucinations and illusions i will request you to see how it goes for the first moth , if theres any cure then great if not the please tell a Psychiatris"

zahraa-ali1997 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 11, 2016

"I had been experiencing post partum anxiety and severe insomnia for a few weeks. After having tried almost every natural alternative out there, I was becoming increasingly desperate. Reading of the experiences of other mums in my situation and what worked for them, I decided to mention this medication to my new doctor and thankfully, he agreed to give it a try (SSRIs had never worked for me in the past and had made my anxiety 10X worse). The 15mgs I take nightly have been a godsend. Despite the slight wooziness after the initial dose, I now sleep so well & can throughly enjoy my waking life with my baby again! Highly recommended to other mums with these same symptoms."

Liz Incarnate (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2016

"I was on Sertraline but was struggling with sleep, the doctor prescribed 15mg Mirtazapine and it was great, helped me sleep and also great for anxiety and intrusive thoughts. Like many other users, I did feel groggy in the mornings and I also noticed some minor restlessness but the positives are far more numerous than the negatives."

PSeel (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2016

"Well this medication worked well for me for the first few years but as time went on the side effects got gradually worse. I'm am now totally paranoid and suffering from severe anxiety disorder. I am trying to come off this medication to deal with these side effects. To anyone taking this medication get off it now before you end up like I did. And despite what your doctor tells you it is a addictive!! Worst mistake of my life.."

JohnnyD2003 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 17, 2016

"Having taken citalopram for 6 weeks my anxiety was awful - every morning from 3 or 4am onwards. First mirtazapine tablet was like a miracle - I slept well and for far longer and had zero early morning anxiety. Taking 15 mg which makes me a little drowsy (just 6 days in) but nothing too bad and well worth it to feel normal again."

No longer anxious May 12, 2016

"Panic attacks, anger attacks, obsessive thoughts and checking money, suicidal thoughts only thankfully, i was hitting my legs with my fists, anxiety and depression, under eating lack, of sleep not able to focus on work. I started off with 7.5mg mirt. The first night knocked me out! The next morning I was groggy as heck, felt drugged.Finally though I was able to eat. This went on for about 4 days. I continued 7.5 mg for another week and then increased to 15mg. I have never been this calm in my life, it is weird i actually can eat and sleep, my acne is subsiding. I feel myself slowly coming back back. I still suffer from depression and anxiety but everything else including my sleep is finally a pattern. I am able to fall asleep"

Hopeful life May 11, 2016

"Id write more except I cant focus for long. Citalopram made me suicidal, hate that drug with a passion. Doctor gave me this, its yet to help with my anxiety or panic attacks (2 weeks in 30mg). Side effects are not great: The most horrific and graphic nightmares I've ever had in my life which make me wake up in tears. The problem here is that this drug makes me sleep for 10 hours so theres no escaping these dreams, then when I wake up i just have these disturbing images in my head all day which makes my anxiety worse. my anger is unreal and not an aggressive person in general. Another thing is I cannot sit still, i have to be moving all the time from the second I wake up. Concentration is non existent..."

Joshrw6 (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2016

"Bad. Way to many Side effects and effects on too many neurotransmitters. Awful. Interacted with my clonidine and tagamet. Put me in hospital. Rather be depressed"

Bryant73 April 21, 2016

"I suffered from postnatal Anxiety that I had just about every symptom that comes with anxiety! Mirtazapine 15mg changed my life that I can now enjoys my babies and lead a normal life that I did before! No more anxiety or insomnia and am now back at work!"

Floss1234 April 15, 2016

"I suffer from obsessive thoughts, anxiety, depression and poor sleep. Mirta has a very powerful effect on me. I break a 15mg tablet in half and half again to about 4 mg and it still knocks me out all night with a solid sleep. The next day I'm only about 60% alert until the evening when I become fully alert. It takes away sexual drive and sometimes causes restlessness before sleep. However it does reduce anxiety well enough to sleep. I have been using it when I need it."

Australia 2 April 14, 2016

"Mirtazapine 30 mg, taken it for several months... I still have anxiety and depression... but not much and not all the time. I still have the dreaded restless leg syndrome but, after falling asleep, I sleep like a baby. No side effects whatsoever, none, never. It may not perform miracles but it is, as per my experience, definitely worth a try. Other antidepressants I tried were horrible, so..."

Somebodyhereandthere (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2016

"So, I started taking 15mg of Mirtazapine but only half 7.5 as at the time (6 months ago) I was under 18 years of age and my doctor was extremely cautious about me taking this pill. Anyway! I started taking them maybe just over 6 months actually, and my behaviour and attitude & anxiety has gotten much much worse. I wouldn't recommend anyone take this pill, as I have stopped sleeping as much, I have felt like I can't go out, just all together I feel like a zombie. Having to deal with the insomnia aswell as the anxiety aswell is not a good combination. I've had to start taking sleep aid as well as this drug because I feel constantly tired, I'm very pale all the time and I don't feel the benefits of this drug."

chloejaderx April 7, 2016

"Total nightmare I couldn't sleep had awful nightmares of something that happened to me nearly 20 years,dry mouth,chapped lips,the tirdness was unreal I only took it for two night and this happened imagine if I stick it out any long,keep away from this DRUG it's dug up my past and now i have to deal with this all over again,I'm distraught from it"

Amber ann April 6, 2016

"Well, for such a tiny pill, this sure packs a punch! After complaining of an irregular sleep pattern that I simply could not break no matter what I did during the course of my day, my doctor prescribed 15mg Mirtazapine to be taken half-an-hour before bed. Most nights now I sleep right through and it is quality sleep I am getting. Since overcoming the mild grogginess I experienced during the initial uptake, I have found this medication works very well in combination with 112.5mg Venlafaxine which I take in the morning for depression. The main side-effects for me are massive carbohydrate cravings (I piled on weight before I knew it) and regular bizarre dreams, which at first I found quite disturbing but now kind of look forward to having."

Whatabuzz (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2016

"I started taking this over a month ago for anxiety. I had terrible physical symptoms of anxiety including numbness, pins and needles and burning in my limbs. I was having panic attacks on a daily basis for about 6 months and was feeling incredibly disconnected from my life and surroundings. I was put on 15mg once a day and I can not express how much this drug has changed my life. The first day after taking it I was incredibly drowsy, however, that subsided within two weeks - I still get drowsy after taking it but I've never slept better and I wake up fine. I did have increased hunger for about three weeks but I just continued my normal diet/exercise so I had absolutely no weight gain and my appetite has returned to normal."

Motivated10000 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2016

"I took mirtazapine for 10 months with a slow taper to get off it, this drug caused horrible side effects whilst on it and off it. Increase anxiety, poor sleep pattern, several physical and mental problems and even gained a irregular heart beat, I took my last dose 6 months ago and would warn of its heavy sedation properties masking your current problem.ie count the months not the days, the longer you take it and increase the dose, the bigger your problems maybe in the future ten fold unless it works for you and you signed up for life to it."

c15690 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 17, 2016

"Mirtazapine has been a life saver for me. I had severe anxiety to the point I was feeling suicidal. I couldn't function and my obsessive thoughts were constant. I couldn't sleep more than one hour without waking up from a panic attack. I started taking 50mg of Pristiq and 5 days later was put on 15mg of Mirtazapine to speed up the process and help with sleep and appetite. I took the tablet an hour before bed and was knocked out almost instantly and slept the whole night. It's been 4 days since I started Mirtazapine and I am able to go to work etc. Still feeling a bit anxious but it's bearable. Definitely increased my hunger but I don't give into the cravings! I eat normal, if not less. Will see how it progresses but only good things so far!"

fl2016 February 13, 2016

"I have been taking antidepressants for around 30 years. Zoloft, prozac, bupropion just to name a few. Last night was my first foray into mirtazapine 15mg soltabs. It took very little time to begin to work. I felt altered right away. Quickly I got sleepy and began hearing faint voices. Turned out I could hear my partners laptop on very low volume from across the room. My hearing is not very good so I would count that as a good thing if in fact it was her laptop. I was soon totally wrecked, could hardy walk. I went to bed. Had to use the toilet 5 times throughout the night. Lack of balance made this interesting. I feel hung over and I can no longer concentrate to finish my story."

Cortisol Kid (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2016

"I was on 40mg of citalopram which was working a treat but wasn't sleeping so I was given mirtazapine 15mg. I've been on them less than 2 weeks now and the change in myself is simply terrible. The first couple of nights I got an amazing sleep but found it hard to get up in the morning but things have just gone from bad to worse, I have bad anxiety, can't sleep, feel like a walking zombie, dizziness is terrible, crazy dreams/mares, compulsive sweating, itching/burning sensations and the worst for me is my anger it's unexplainable I can fly of the handle for someone looking at me. This drug might work for some people but I'd say avoid at all costs I've never felt so unhappy and down right miserable."

Stephanie83x (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2016