User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Mirtazapine Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 188 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Mirtazapine to treat Anxiety

"Diagnosed with GAD and depression about 5 months ago. Had loads of CBT and therapy which helped a bit (thank you BUPA) and 7 weeks on Fluoxetine/Prozac which had loads of side effects & didn't seem to help. Saw a psychiatrist who said stop the fluoxetine which is probably the most mood enhancing AD so good for depression not so much for anxiety and swapped me to 15mg Mitrazapine 4 days ago which he said was far more calming. I slept 8 hours straight the first night, then 9 & 9. Anxiety almost gone & not feeling depressed much. Hopefully this continues, I know it's early days but I'm actually looking forward to tomorrow which is a new feeling for me."

Panicer (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Mirtazapine is a miracle, but you have to take a SMALL dose, meaning about 7.5 mg to 15 mg, no more than that. Larger doses cause too much adrenaline release, so if you gave up on Mirt before, try it again with a pill splitter at a very small dose, just before bedtime. It will help you sleep, and it has virtually the opposite side effects of SSRIs, meaning no sexual side effects, and no anxiety increase (only decrease). I take it for debilitating anxiety just as I described."

Eric2222017 February 9, 2017

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"An update after ca. 1 month on Mirtazapine: Now on 22.5 mg mirt (evening) and still 200 mg of Sertraline (morning). The mirt worked very well to start with, but after 2 weeks my anxiety has come back with a vengeance, and the body screams for benzos (but not getting any). Stopped with diazepam one month ago, so it may still be withdrawal effects? My thoughts about the past and future fuel anxiety and then the anxiety fuels the thoughts and there you go... Ringing in my ears and the same melody playing in my head over and over again, palpations and feeling miserable. Any advice? Not a miracle drug after all?"

FlyingD (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"It started out with an abortion- with respect to whatever your opinion may be on that matter, I had my carefully thought out reasons. My boyfriend and I were very literally starving due to lack of money and food. The baby was taking in any nutrients I was getting- I wasn't going to survive the pregnancy. It was an extremely difficult decision and I struggled with it heavily. After the abortion, I continued to lose weight-I am 5ft and weighed 80lbs the nausea continued for another 6 months and I was having regular panick attacks due to the anxiety caused by the abortion. I have been on Mirtazapine for a month now, and the nausea and over all anxiety is nearly eliminated, and I am back to a healthy weight. This drug saved my quality of life."

Little stuff January 27, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been on mirtazapine for about three weeks now as I have GAD, it has worked fine until recently, the last few nights, I was thinking about increasing it to 30mg see if that helps, but doctor mentioned that it works better when taking 15mg ? Any advice would be great thanks in advance"

Fmac1973 January 26, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"The worst"

Hooj (taken for 10 years or more) January 24, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Very Dry Mouth Strange dreams. Ringing ears ."

Mr Imagine January 22, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been on Mirtazipine 30 mgs for several years for anxiety and to help me sleep recently as I suddenly had severe palpatations a new docter prescribed me Sertaline 50 mgs this was terrible it made me even more anxious and I felt really unwell. I am now back on Mirtazapine and beginning to feel well once again never again will I switch to another drug I now have this drug on my repeat prescription list and highly recommend it"

Birdqueen (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 20, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I started taking Mirtazapine 15mg 5 weeks ago as I was in a very bad place with Pure obsessive Disorder and GAD. It has been really helpful in controlling my Generlised Anxiety and has allowed me to enjoy my Christmas and New year and life again. It hasn't really helped with my pure obsessional thoughts directly but has really helped lower my anxiety which does trigger my pure obsessional thoughts so indirectly I suppose it has made them more controllable. I've had no weight gain and weight has remained the same through out. The only side effects were sleepiness and drowsiness in 1st week. If you are worried about gaining weight on this drug then I suggest weighing yourself before and during taking it. I would definitely recommend it"

Fretbuzz119 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Is a tricky drug but cons out weigh pros I experienced weight gain good if under weight not good for someone already appetite like me took a month to experience antidepressant and anti anxiety properties also helped with sleep but had bad effect on intellectual ability and totally ruined sex drive and actually made me more anxious in mornings and caused head aches when I tried to stop taking so would not recommend why do doctor s push the SSRI s all the time when Valium far more effective for sleep and anxiety problems this and St Johns and comprehensive supplements and improved diet and active lifestyle s far better choice"

lifelove (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 7, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Very effective very minor side affects"

Phil125 January 2, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Was juggling a family, 30hr p/t job & unive full time, whilst dealing with immediate relatives that were either ill or dying. Needless to say I hit rock bottom, was underweight & felt like I was walking the 'Green Mile'!! I can only describe the feeling as if my body was running on 'flight' mode. Clearly the extra adrenaline was needed as I was being pulled from pillar to post with deadlines, deadlines, deadlines. It got too much. No appetite, constant weight of despair on my chest, insomnia and endless worry. After a week of taking Mirt, the anxieties disappeared as did the despair. Felt normal but not in a drugged up way. Was able to sleep/wake well and focus."

U.K. Lady (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 30, 2016

51 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have GAD. Mirtazapin made me sleep like a kid, and made my anxiety low and I felt more safe."

Zerotonin December 28, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Before taking this medicine, I had severe anxiety/depression. I was constantly nauseous to the point where I quit eating and got down to 90lbs and was having panic attacks nonstop. I couldn't sleep. I just felt like I wanted to die because I didn't want to live my life like that anymore. I was so scared to try taking antidepressants for the first time because I've read so many bad things. But I finally did it and I've been on 15mg mirtazapine for about a month and a half now and I can't remember the last time I had a panic attack, I don't want to die anymore, I sleep through the night, and I can eat again! I do still have some general anxiety but this medication has saved my life!! I actually feel like myself again and am able to function"

Briii December 20, 2016

51 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Been on sertraline for anxiety however my limbs have had a constant ache so doc changed me to mirtazapine 15mg . I took half a tablet b4 bedtime last night & slept well but woke up totally zombified. ....I am a carer so can't function feeling like this so wont be taking anymore!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Initially prescribed 15mg after 2 weeks and no improvement dosage upped to 30mg per day with the option to take an additional 15mg for anxiety. Week 1 well to be fair i really didn't know if I was awake or asleep - it was like an out of body experience. I was unable to function whatsoever. Week 2 dropped myself to 2 tablets to try and regain some function and normality this helped for around 1 week. That was when everything then started moodiness anxiety lThese pills have turned my world upside down and now I am an irrational nasty fearfull and genrally unwell person. I'm going to the gp tomorrow to stop these as they are terrible for me."

Kandix123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Diagnosed with depression, S.A.D. and anxiety, all because of my sleep, or lack of. Felt like a zombie everyday and would wake up on average 40 times a night, falling asleep for no longer then an hour then anxious all night and angry knowing I was wide awake. Prescribed mirtazapine 15mg one tablet before bed. It has worked wonders for me, I'm able to go to sleep for about 3 or 4 hours then when i do wake up in not wide awake or angry and can go back to sleep. Granted I only sleep for 20 mins at a time afterwards but I'm calm. It has been 3 months on and im still going OK. Id like to get off them soon so fingers crossed!"

Chris Cap December 4, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I started taking Mirtazapine almost a month ago and its been a wonder drug for me. Needed something for crippling anxiety + panic attacks, depression, chronic insomnia, sleep paralysis,night terrors, self medication with alcohol just to sleep and quell anxiety. Prescribed 15 mg at bed-time. Took 1/4 (3.75 mg) a night for 4 nights, then 1/2 (7.5 mgs) for two nights and then on to 15 mgs. Now I sleep (but can wake up if needed), zero anxiety, no increase in appetite. I've even lost a bit of weight do to no longer drinking alcohol - a small miracle in itself and my libido has returned. I had a terrible reaction to Prozac years ago - anorexia, self harm, mania, no libido, alcohol cravings, intrusive thoughts. So glad my doctor gave me Mirt."

Aussie Chick (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2016

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Mitrazapine made my anxiety worse. It has been hell getting off Mirtazapine. It has taken me 2 years to get to 3mg from 37.5mg. It has done nothing for me, but cause havoc in my life. Weight gain, nightmares, anxiety, panic, sugar cravings, night sweats, body quackes. Neck pressure, head aches, pressure in the head, pins and needles in the arms, chest, burning head, food / suppliment intolerance . Can't wait to get off this poison. Also developed pot belly from this drug, and I have always had a flat stomach. When you stop Mitrazapine, does that go away?"

Here is Hope November 19, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"TERRIBLE!!!- do not take! First off this made me super super hungry. Secondly it made me a complete zombie. My friends and teachers said I was worse than normal and I already had depression. Not only does it make you zombie like when I increased to 30mg it gave me the worst headaches for at least 24hrs! It felt like a really bad hangover- I became so sensitive to sounds It was living hell. Never again"

violet1234 November 11, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"this medication only made me feel worse I took it for my anxiety and panic attacks and honestly it didn't help at all if anything made things worse. I put on about 10kg the hungers been horrible the weight gain makes me feel worse. at the start of taking it it stopped my ability to have panic attack so my anxiety would build to no release but now the panic attacks have come back and theyre worse. ineffective and horrible side effects"

AAAP123 November 1, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I had been loosing 1lb per week for 6 months with a constant stomach ache untill i was put on 15mg Mirtazapine. My stomach ache went away by 85% & i was able to start eating again. Also sleeping better but groggy n the morning."

Anonymous October 29, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I found out i have a anxiety disorder that has caused seizures. Finally i can walk around and sleep .also not aggetated anymore. I do get a little light headed tho."

34mum (taken for less than 1 month) October 19, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I started at 15mg then 30mg. It is not helpful for my anxiety. It only calms me down an hour before bedtime but then I am awake with terrible anxiety 3 hours later."

Jen75768 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was prescribed Mirtazapine for severe anxiety, I took my first 15mg dose and waited to fall asleep as this is what the doctor told me to expect, I laid almost paralysed hallucinating on and off all night but at that point I thought I was dreaming,my husband picked up on the fact that I was wide awake hallucinating,the emergency doctor told me to discontinue immediately, I never took another dose but 5 days later I still feel very ill,itching all over and just not myself,i was told it could take 200 hours to leave my body completely by my pharmacist, I just pray it's over soon, it's been a terrible experience for me personally."

Mel77007 September 29, 2016