User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Mirtazapine Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 188 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Mirtazapine to treat Anxiety

"I have been taking the medication for about 1month and it is helping me to over come my anxiety and depression as well as my insomnia . I may be having a side affect as to being hungry all day and after eating several meals still hungry . Craving all sweets and all foods witch i dont like to eat but is very affective on my disorders and i would like a higher dosage of maybe 20 milagrams a tablet ."

J.A.P September 17, 2016

"I'm writing this review hoping that I can help someone in the future who is in the same situation as I was. I had chronic nausea for 6 months after a stomach bug and went from doctor to doctor until I was diagnosed with post-infectious functional dyspepsia by a really good gastroenterologist. I was immediately put on mirtazapine, starting on 7,5mg at bedtime and then increasing to 15mg after 3 weeks. This drug worked wonders and I recovered my appetite within the first week, and I was virtually free of nausea after less than a month. Side effects were a lot of sleepiness at first (it went away in a few weeks), some constipation and loss of libido."

uri5 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2016

"I have been on the medication about a month I take 30mg at night along with 20mg of Paxil. They seem to work great together I have no anxiety attacks anymore I fall right asleep within 10 min of taking them the only problem I have seen so far is that it's extremely difficult to stay awake during the day and I am ALWAYS hungry. I can eat several meals a day and all I think about all day is food I have gained 20 lbs in one month of taking this medication."

Megeraid (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 7, 2016

"How long has it taken for the full effects of mirtazapine to take place and set in?"

Normsfern August 31, 2016

"I am 23. I went on Mirt after trying Zoloft and a few other anti-depressants in the past. I was having extreme health anxiety and nocturnal panic attacks; basically anxiety that completely took over my life. Compared to the side effects Zoloft game me Mirtazapine was amazing at first. It was like an instant calming effect after taking it. I stopped having the nocturnal panic attacks... However; I have hypersomnia and went from panic to oversleeping and bad dreams. Sadly, it was just too much for me. If you have insomnia I bet this med would be perfect for you... It was great for my anxiety. Unfortunately had to switch. Give it a try though! I loved it besides the sleep issue."

rknrbn (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2016

"I have fairly severe anxiety and depression, as well as some insomnia. I've only been on this medication for a few days. I have tried Lexapro, Buspirone, Zoloft, Gabapentin, Trazadone, and Topamax. I was on Lexapro for about three years and it worked wonders. All of the others either had little to no effect or had terrible side effects. I am now coming off Zoloft and starting Remeron (mirtazipine) combined with Effexor Xr. Although I have not been on it long enough for it to improve my mood, I have noticed that it makes me feel almost zombie like. It helps me sleep, but I have to force myself out of bed and I am constantly tired throughout the day. I am going to give it some time and see how it goes."

Tiffamber August 13, 2016

"I've been taking these for about 6 months on 15mg. I actually have zero to no side effects apart from the occasional morning drowsiness but nothing to the extent that I felt in the first two weeks. I also have had minimal weight gain. I'm really petite so I quite worried about that side effect. I've only put on about 3 kilos which if anything has made me look a lot healthier. I did lose about 1 kilo by cutting out red meat, potato, white bread etc. I did get cravings when I was first on it but that subsided. All I can say is that it's worth waiting it out with this drug. It brings you to a really calm place where you can beat the anxiety. It doesn't "cure" anxiety but with CBT exercise I have never been in a better place."

Anonymoussssssss August 12, 2016

"I took this drug for 10 months and have been off it for 1 year, whilst on the drug I became vacant over my life. gained weight suffered with numerous ailments to many to list from flue like symptoms to a altered heart rhythm, increased anxiety, When coming off the drug on a slow taper I suffered suicide ideation, low blood pressure, blood sugar problems and damaged endocrine system, It blocks certain neurotransmitters in the brain to work so when you stop taking it, they do not perform correctly, ie digestion and thyroid problems, blocking histamine transmitters leaving your body open to food allergies . A lot of these problems are not easy to rectify and I still have them. why give 10 out of 10. If your still taking it, beware!"

my storey July 30, 2016

"I was prescirbed 15mg at night so scared to take this after what i had read so i started on just a quarter of a tablet and thank god i did this tiny piece of tablet nearly had me passing out what would a whole one do?"

oldgraymare (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2016

"This medicine changed my life.. It made me feel well and travel freely without any anxiety stmptoms or panic attacks.. It was amazing for me.. Until suddenly i started to notice that am gaining weight. I was 53 kilograms.. And after taking remeron for three months am 78 kilograms. It made me feel hungry.. Cravings sweets, pastas, pizzaz... What ever i eat and how much will still keep me hungry.. Now it is depressing me because i gained weight and this changed how i use to look And sizes Am now on my fourth month of this medicine.. 30 mg.. And my anxiety and panic attacks are 30% back. My dr. Recomended to increase the dose to 45mg.. But i refused. Cbt is doing well.. But am depressed about this medicine.. Tried many others but got allergy"

Hamood als July 11, 2016

"Im not surev about this medication, I have hade good days and horrible ones. I think this has made my anxietie way worse. The withdrawl symptoms are horrible, i will never take this again."

keegs3324 July 1, 2016

"I was so scared to try these tablets. But I must say mood wise I'm feeling fab.They do help you sleep better and have vivid dreams but ive not had any scary ones! and they do make you feel like you don't want to wake up but you soon get out of it once your running around doing things. I looked them up on the net and saw nothing but scare stories. I started on 15mg and was terrified due to what id read. But they was fab! then I went to 30mg as people can start going downhill again on 15mg its completely normal. Then I went to 45mg and they sent me loopy (high serotonin levels) but after 3 days back to 30mg I was fine. I still get panic attacks but pills wont fix that problem. self help and cbt therapy fixes that apparently."

justhayley (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 29, 2016

"I've been taking it for depression/anxiety for about seven years now. The 1st time I took it I got a horrible restless feeling an hour after taking it..it was really horrible, pretty unbearable but after the second day I was fine. It is an excellent sleep aid, it knocks you out into a deep sleep with really vivid and usually pleasant dreams..getting out of bed afterwards is the only hard part! It leaves you pretty groggy and sedated for the start of the day. Everybody else is rushing around work getting stuff done and my brain is operating on half speed. For that reason I'm thinking of tapering off it. I also have a sense of apathy..everything is 'ok'..even when it's not..take it to get yourself better but get off it when you can"

jobobby1 June 28, 2016

"This medication has been brilliant for anxiety, insomnia and getting my appetite back. However, if you read the side effects of mirtazapine, it does indicate that weight gain is one of the main side effects of this medication regardless of how little you eat. READ IT! If you eat twice as much as usual you will become very overweight. Mirtazapine has really helped my depression, anxiety, insomnia and lack of appetite. I have put on 2 stone in 5 months on 15 mgs a day and that's without 'pigging out' I have decided to taper off by taking 15 mgs every other day for a couple of weeks then down to 15mgs 1 in3 days and see how it goes. I have started to notice a difference already I'm not mad enough to stop it completely its helped me so much"

Anonymous June 26, 2016

"I suffer from Sever Psychotic Depression I've been taking mirtazapine for up to 6 to 7 months. it worked well at the start but after a month it was like stuffing medication inside me and nothing helping. just yesterday I got 30mg and it helped a lot, maybe they help at the start but I'm scared I will get addicted . I have gained 3 stones because of the medication . I cant stop eating and after eating a big meal I'm still hungry, I feel lazy most of the time, Quetiapine is a failure, it will only help to fall asleep 30 mins or an hour after taking it, but the next morning i feel worse hallucinations and illusions i will request you to see how it goes for the first moth , if theres any cure then great if not the please tell a Psychiatris"

zahraa-ali1997 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 11, 2016

"I had been experiencing post partum anxiety and severe insomnia for a few weeks. After having tried almost every natural alternative out there, I was becoming increasingly desperate. Reading of the experiences of other mums in my situation and what worked for them, I decided to mention this medication to my new doctor and thankfully, he agreed to give it a try (SSRIs had never worked for me in the past and had made my anxiety 10X worse). The 15mgs I take nightly have been a godsend. Despite the slight wooziness after the initial dose, I now sleep so well & can throughly enjoy my waking life with my baby again! Highly recommended to other mums with these same symptoms."

Liz Incarnate (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2016

"I was on Sertraline but was struggling with sleep, the doctor prescribed 15mg Mirtazapine and it was great, helped me sleep and also great for anxiety and intrusive thoughts. Like many other users, I did feel groggy in the mornings and I also noticed some minor restlessness but the positives are far more numerous than the negatives."

PSeel (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2016

"Well this medication worked well for me for the first few years but as time went on the side effects got gradually worse. I'm am now totally paranoid and suffering from severe anxiety disorder. I am trying to come off this medication to deal with these side effects. To anyone taking this medication get off it now before you end up like I did. And despite what your doctor tells you it is a addictive!! Worst mistake of my life.."

JohnnyD2003 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 17, 2016

"Having taken citalopram for 6 weeks my anxiety was awful - every morning from 3 or 4am onwards. First mirtazapine tablet was like a miracle - I slept well and for far longer and had zero early morning anxiety. Taking 15 mg which makes me a little drowsy (just 6 days in) but nothing too bad and well worth it to feel normal again."

No longer anxious May 12, 2016

"Panic attacks, anger attacks, obsessive thoughts and checking money, suicidal thoughts only thankfully, i was hitting my legs with my fists, anxiety and depression, under eating lack, of sleep not able to focus on work. I started off with 7.5mg mirt. The first night knocked me out! The next morning I was groggy as heck, felt drugged.Finally though I was able to eat. This went on for about 4 days. I continued 7.5 mg for another week and then increased to 15mg. I have never been this calm in my life, it is weird i actually can eat and sleep, my acne is subsiding. I feel myself slowly coming back back. I still suffer from depression and anxiety but everything else including my sleep is finally a pattern. I am able to fall asleep"

Hopeful life May 11, 2016

"Id write more except I cant focus for long. Citalopram made me suicidal, hate that drug with a passion. Doctor gave me this, its yet to help with my anxiety or panic attacks (2 weeks in 30mg). Side effects are not great: The most horrific and graphic nightmares I've ever had in my life which make me wake up in tears. The problem here is that this drug makes me sleep for 10 hours so theres no escaping these dreams, then when I wake up i just have these disturbing images in my head all day which makes my anxiety worse. my anger is unreal and not an aggressive person in general. Another thing is I cannot sit still, i have to be moving all the time from the second I wake up. Concentration is non existent..."

Joshrw6 (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2016

"Bad. Way to many Side effects and effects on too many neurotransmitters. Awful. Interacted with my clonidine and tagamet. Put me in hospital. Rather be depressed"

Bryant73 April 21, 2016

"I suffered from postnatal Anxiety that I had just about every symptom that comes with anxiety! Mirtazapine 15mg changed my life that I can now enjoys my babies and lead a normal life that I did before! No more anxiety or insomnia and am now back at work!"

Floss1234 April 15, 2016

"I suffer from obsessive thoughts, anxiety, depression and poor sleep. Mirta has a very powerful effect on me. I break a 15mg tablet in half and half again to about 4 mg and it still knocks me out all night with a solid sleep. The next day I'm only about 60% alert until the evening when I become fully alert. It takes away sexual drive and sometimes causes restlessness before sleep. However it does reduce anxiety well enough to sleep. I have been using it when I need it."

Australia 2 April 14, 2016

"Mirtazapine 30 mg, taken it for several months... I still have anxiety and depression... but not much and not all the time. I still have the dreaded restless leg syndrome but, after falling asleep, I sleep like a baby. No side effects whatsoever, none, never. It may not perform miracles but it is, as per my experience, definitely worth a try. Other antidepressants I tried were horrible, so..."

Somebodyhereandthere (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2016