User Reviews for Mirtazapine to treat Anxiety

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Mirtazapine Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 162 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Mirtazapine

"I was on 30mg of mirtazapine for 3 months and it didn't alleviate my social anxiety, but I did notice a slight improvement in my mood. The main drawback for me (aside from it not actually working for its intended purpose) was that I gained over 6kgs on this drug; it's TERRIBLE for weight gain. I also felt spaced out constantly during the day. I can see this drug working for depression, but I can't recommend it for anxiety."

thatkidd May 23, 2019

"6 weeks in on a dose of 15mg mirtazapine and my anxiety is very very high on this drug- the most horrible night terrors/panic attacks and waking anxiety-and way way too stimulating for me - I could run a marathon some days-this decreases over time I think. I have to keep moving to distract myself from the horrible anxiety, disassociation and inner restlessness. Vision problems too but they seem to be decreasing over time. Weight gain not too much of a problem at the moment but If I stay on it will need more self discipline! Fairly good anti depressant. Discussing lowering the dose or switching to something else or adding something else in.... IMHO if you are looking for a good anti anxiety drug try something else. Like amitriptyline."

AmIhere (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2019

"this medication mirtazapine ruined my life. Yes it helped my anxiety and insomnia at first, very well in fact. It does make me binge eat every night, which has led to me becoming prediabetic. While effective at first, it has since pooped out and I’m left a now diabetic, apathetic, emotionless zombie. I feel nothing. No emotions, no love for other people, no passion for anything. I’ve been on it for 8 years, with the dose oscillating between 75mg and 45mg. Dropping the dose below 45mg leads to crippling depression, anxiety, and withdrawal symptoms. Tread with caution and keep the doses low. You’ve been warned."

Anonymous May 8, 2019

"I'm on day 7 now of 15mg Mirtazapine for anxiety and panic disorder which led to agoraphobia, then depression. I was house bound for 2 months! I could only leave the house to see the Dr. by self medicating with alcohol. I wasn't eating only a tiny snack in the evening, and was scared of coming on to these tablets. Well what can I say - I left the house yesterday. My appetite is back, and I am sleeping and having dreams again, that was after 6 days on the Mirtazapine . I feel more positive now and will continue to use, all I can say is everybody is different but do stick with these, and give them a try. "

Forsey (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2019

"I would never recommend this medication to anyone unless you have insomnia/underweight problems. On mirtazpine 40mg for more than 6 months. I felt like a zombie all during the day. I took it at night to help with insomnia because it will knock you out faster than a punch from Mike Tyson. I was recommend this med from my psychiatrist for depression and my high level of GAD and social anxiety. It made me more worse than better even with Xanax. BEWARE this medication will make you gain weight even if you workout and have a strict healthy diet. I am a male who started at 135lb pounds, after 6 plus months my weight was 200 pounds...Got off of these and am now an Viibryd and it has worked wonders. 0 stars."

Bhawk22 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 30, 2019

"I have bipolar and anxiety disorders. My anxiety has increased over the last 2 years and is now so bad that I have a hard time leaving my home or even making a phone call. I sleep once every 24 - 72 hours or so, usually for 3 - 10 hours each time. My psychiatrist prescribed 15 mg mirtazapine for my anxiety and insomnia. I took it for 4 weeks without any improvement. He then bumped the dosage up to 30 mg. Again, there was no improvement over the next 5 weeks. But I became ravenous. Food was the first thing I thought about when I woke up, and no matter how much I ate or how full I got, I had this constant and overwhelming desire to eat more. I have had issues with controlling my weight my entire life, but I have never experienced such a horrible and persistent compulsion to eat like this. I gained at least 18 pounds in less than 5 weeks, and considering it did nothing to help with my anxiety or sleep, I stopped taking it."

Laura C18 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2019

"Mirtazapine is alright, I am into my 3rd month, at 30mg and my anxiety has gone, and I'm not extreme lows anymore. However I'm not really feeling "happy" and it has made me experience some psychotic episodes. It's alright, maybe not the drug for some people. I will see out the course but keen to come off."

WoodBlade (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2019

"Been on Mirtazapine for over a year for depression, anxiety & insomnia. It does work well on all those things but at first I had an insane appetite - I could eat a fully loaded 12 inch pizza & still feel hungry, or I would eat a large meal at McDonald's but then go back to grab a double cheeseburger, I put on almost 30 pounds in 2 months, thankfully this crazy appetite waned considerably & I have a more normal appetite now. The only issue I have is if I get fed up with taking the Mirtazapine & try to stop taking it I literally do not sleep a wink, I close my eyes but nothing happens, it's a very long night & I just lay there until the birds start singing. So I end up going back to taking it so I can get some sleep."

Matty (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 14, 2019

"Been on mirtazapine for my anxiety for about 3 weeks. It worked for sleep! As I was unable to get any due to night panics (the worse thing ever) and helped me eat. Felt completely spaced out and depersonalised which has subsided a bit. My crushing depression remains, I just can’t stop overthinking so I will have a chat to my GP about this."

Jblack123 (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2019

"I have been on mirtazapine a few times. I suffer from chronic anxiety which impacts on my sleep, appetite and ability to interact with others, leave the house etc. I also suffer from mood swings, going from being very high to low within a matter of minutes. I have been taking 15mg before bed now for nine nights and while I feel less anxious, have a more normal appetite and sleeping better at night, I cannot stop crying. I cried for 6 hours solid the other night. I do have a major situation playing out in my life right now but I had hoped the meds would help stabilise my mood and reduce some of the terrible sadness I'm feeling. I'm unsure whether to continue after reading here about some people's experiences during withdrawal, not sure I want to keep putting this in to my system if it is going to be so difficult to wean myself off of in the future."

Belle (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2019

"I have been on these mirtazapine tablets 15mg for around two months and what life savers these have been! I take mine just before bed and within 30 minutes I am sound asleep and wake up to my alarm - this hasn’t happened it years. It has eased my anxiety and depression as well. It’s put an edge on it which suits me fine as I am getting a good nights sleep and this is making me be able to cope with whatever life throws at me daily.."

Tropps (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2019

"On zispin (mirtazapine here in Europe) 15mg for 3 wks now. Feeling very tired/zombie like/dead. Going to reduce to 7.5mg tonite and I hope that will improve my low mood."

Nigs (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2019

"Have been on mirazepine for 15 days while withdrawing from Clonazepam. I have been unable to sleep in my room at night. My anxiety goes up and I start feeling like I can’t breathe when I lay down. I stay awake all night and sleep during the day for at least 4. Hours. I have been staying awake for whole night Not sure if anxiety is from backing down on Clonazepam or introducing mirazepine. Also have leg pains from sciatica and neuropathy. The sciatica started a week ago and is very painful. I am up and down with pain going down left leg and I take Aleve that does not stop the pain. Also have loss of taste withdrawing from Clonazepam (1 mg twice a day) Have been taking it for many years. I am in pain and not sleeping as I write this message. My primary doctor said I have two more weeks for Clonazepam to get out of my system. And two more weeks until Mirazepine gets into my system. I wonder if anyone else has had similar experience."

Stunner March 17, 2019

"Taken mirtazapine for 3 weeks and the sides have been really hard. First two days I suffered with extremely intense rage, then every since it has been a rollercoaster journey. It has increased every emotion, confidence and insecurities, happiness and depression. The ying and the yang. Etc... the good and the bad. I feel at a crossroad now. Will I win or the illness? I think picking the correct road will make or break this medication. Wish me luck."

Joey (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2019

"It has taken me 4 years to get off mitazapine. The withdrawal symptoms were horrendous. It did nothing for me, but made me gain weight and it made my life miserable. Stay away from this stuff, you will spare your self from misery and suffering due to discontinuation syndrome."

Hopeful (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 11, 2019

"Great short term to control the symptoms of anxiety, but this medication has possibly the highest ‘poop-out’ rate of all antidepressants as most people I know who have taken it, including myself found that the positive impacts it was having on our sleep and appetites gradually wore off. Many better medications out there for anxiety."

Qldcan (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2019

"I was suffering terribly with anxiety and depression, I tried various antidepressants but mirtazipine I feel works the best for me. I sleep better, on the odd occasion I wake up I am able to get back to sleep. Not slept through the night for 8 years before going on this. Anxiety has been reduced where it is manageable to live with. Just upped my dose to 30mg to try and lift my mood. Anxiety and depression are cruel but remember you are not alone, it's baby steps all the way x"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2019

"So far only 10th day in but slightly improved. I have intrusive thoughts OCD which bring on intense anxiety. I am on 15mg mirtazapine at moment and a bit afraid to go higher in case get increased anxiety. Any advice on this or is it good to combine with another antidepressant rather than increase?"

Welshwarbler (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2019

"I have taken Mirtazapine 15mg for a week. My sleep has improved greatly. I don’t feel anxious BUT I’m always hungry! I’ve gained 5 pounds in a week. My doctor said that my appetite will decrease soon as my body gets used to the medication. Hopefully he is correct. I however I’m to a point that I rather be fat than not being able to sleep due to anxiety."

NancySal (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2019

"I've taken this for depression/anxiety for 12 days. I take 15mg before bed & now sleep 11 hours, it was 3-6 hrs max before. I am worried about some side effects. I was given the type that melt on your tongue, they numbed my mouth for 20 mins, like a local anasthetic. They've been changed to the normal pills now, so better. I use a fitbit & I've noticed my resting heart rate has risen from 61-64 constant for years to 75-76 for the last 12 days (the period I've been on Mirtazapine). I mentioned it to my doc who has booked me in for a CT scan. I have a small arrythmia (irregular heartbeat) I've had for years so a bit worried. I also have strange tingling like a constant small electric shock inside my mouth on the left side, not painful, just annoying. I also get some vivid dreams (that's ok, I like dreams!) I don't seem to get the big appetite everyone mentions. If anything, I've less of an appetite. Has anyone else had the increase in heart rate that you've noticed or recorded?"

Me January 27, 2019

"I have been on Mirtazapine 15 mg for 2 years which helped me enormously with sleep and anxiety until xmas. Developed RLS due to low blood count. Lost my appetite. Dose increased to 30 mg. I feel it’s helping but after 4 weeks still not back to normal . Not terribly hungry and a tad anxious"

Rubyred (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 24, 2019

"Had moderate anxiety with horrible hour-long panic attacks, no sleep nor eating. After I started taking the pills I felt super relaxed and the first week I slept 18 hours a day (which was needed). Felt the side-effects of feeling dizzy and the entire room spinning the first week, but def worth it. Now I experience higher appetite (which is positive for me since I lost a lot of weight before treatment) and I have vivid dreams and nightmares once in a while. These pills made me positive and optimistic about life again and definitely changed my life for the better. Used to have intrusive thoughts, bad anxiety and when I didn't have a panic attack I was just worried about when the next one was gonna hit! The pills stopped my over worrying and (combined with therapy) made me be less harsh on myself. All of this is based on the Danish health system, which is pretty highly ranked worldwide, so I consider the drug to be one of the better options."

Emily (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2019

"I feel like I have no control after just one dose. I can’t get off the couch. And I just keep looking up mental problems over and over. I feel like I’m going crazy. I can’t function. "

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2019

"Hello, I find this drug very good, I have been suffering from severe anxiety and depression to the point I couldn’t even drive it was so bad. I was self medicating since I was 17-21 with benzodiazepines then 2 years on Sertraline but found my tolerance built to quickly and nothing worked anymore and got worse anxiety and depression so when I was prescribed Clozapam my tolerance shot up after two days so I was prescribed Mirtazapine and after two days with amazing sleep and minimal anxiety, I have a really strong natural tolerance to all drugs including coffee, alcohol, everything which sucks I’m just hoping it’s not the same for Mirtazapine. I take 7.5mg in the morning and 7.5mg evenings."

Jack (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2018

"This has been a great drug for me. For most of my 35 years I have suffered with anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts, poor appetite and more recently sleep issues. This drug has improved all of them, it's not perfect but it takes the edge off and I can live a normal life. I will never come off this drug as my life would be poor without it."

Exhibita (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 12, 2018