User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Mirtazapine Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Mirtazapine to treat Anxiety

"First week: drowsiness and hunger, ate loads craving food. The drowsiness made the days difficult to go through, I started my course of meds 2 days before the weekend and those two days of work were difficult. Everything did settled down, I only got drowsy before bed and small increase in appetite than usual. 2-3 weeks: slight increased suicidal thoughts and more depressive mood, although my doctor had discussed this with me it wasn't fun. After a few months everything did get better with my overthinking and my anxiety. Worrying all reduced, I feel safer going outside, it's made life better. I've been on meds for almost a year now, my dosage has gone all the way up to and I'm on my way back down currently, I've personally coupled this with CBT therapy. Withdrawal affects for me have been as bad as not sleeping due to accidentally missing doses. Overall I'd say being persistent with meds for months or years will be good, I'd like to think I'm not ashamed of being on meds and I know I will get better now."

G28 February 8, 2018

"I’m on week 2 of mirtazapine and have gone from 15mg in the first week to 30mg in the second. I was prescribed it for anxiety and low mood. I’ve found that it had definitely started to help as I don’t feel utter terror on waking in the morning. My sleep is very disturbed and I wake up a lot but I do feel refreshed in the morning. I know it’s early days but I hope that the glimmer of light that I can see at the end of the tunnel gets bigger as the days go on. How long have other people found it takes to feel ok and function again properly? Thanks "

Mannajon February 2, 2018

"After suffering what could only be classed as a “mental breakdown” from anxiety and depression. I was put on citalapram (horrendous) and then Sertraline (which left me suicidal) and finally a doctor prescribed me mirtazapine. For the first 5-7days I felt sedated but that could have been because of the comedown from the worst bout of anxiety I’d ever experienced. I immediately felt better, I slept properly for the first time in months and my anxiety immediately reduced. I was on 15mg for over a year, now reduced to 7.5mg (no withdrawal). This medication literally saved my life and I’ll continue to take it long term. Only side affect (aside from the initial sedation) I had was slight weight gain. I went from 52kg to 55kg."

Mochalover January 20, 2018

"I have been on this for 2 weeks now. Prescribed by my Dr after being given Lorazepam but having no luck. I am still having panic attacks daily, but I am finding I am able to calm myself down a little easier most of the time. I also suffer from Depression and Insomnia so these help with those. I have been feeling very foggy and sluggish the next day though and this has been making it hard for me to function at work. After reading these reviews though I am wondering why my Dr has given me 30mg straight away. I will definitely update this the longer I am on it"

MrsRissole January 16, 2018

"I have been taking 30mg of mirtazapine for just over 2 years now I used to have chronic panic attacks everyday I couldn’t sleep at night, I was losing weight due to anxiety I started this and I have never felt more calm and relaxed I take it at night time get the munchies and go into a food comer sleep all night. I still suffer for them from time to time but not as bad as I used to. Everybody is different I guess, but definitely worked for me ;)"

MDunkown January 13, 2018

"I started taking this medication 3 weeks ago and after a week of taken them I have been suffering from aches pains. In shoulder, arm wrist and knees. Could this be a side effect Thanks"

suz49 January 7, 2018

"Had anxiety for many years, 4-5 attacks a day some lasting for hours at a time, even waking in the morning under attack. Doctor put me on Mirtazapine about 6 1/2 weeks ago after having bad reactions to other anxiety meds. First few weeks I was a little sleepy but my body adjusted just fine, very little weight gain. Bottom line I have not had an all out attack in over 5 weeks. I feel some attacks but they are so very weak I just carry on. Feels like a miracle"

Erick A January 7, 2018

"Very early days and never usually write reviews but thought I'd share my experience for anyone who is scared of taking their first dose. I took my first dose last night and was asleep within in an hour. I've woken up this morning after 10 hours sleep and whilst I feel slightly groggy my usual morning anxiety has completely vanished. I'm hoping the grogginess will subside as I continue to take them. (I've previously tried Setraline and Fluoexetine and both made my anxiety unbearable)"

SlightlySyncopated January 2, 2018

"I use Remeron to reduce my Anxiety at night and get proper sleeping. I started with high dose at 30 mg 1 hour before bed time; it was heavy for me and I struggle to wake up next morning, then as per my schedule I reduce it to 15 mg then 7.5 mg. Dry mouth and feeling hungry at night was a problem, but it worth sacrificing the side effect. Remeron is great for me at certain level of 10-15 mg. Weight is not a problem for me as I train properly and watch my diet. I’m fighting Depression and Anxiety for the past 7 years, I have to stay on medication, Remeron at night and Zoloft in the morning, this is the best combination for me."

HKA (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2017

"I've been on this medicine for a few years now 45mg and I don't think they work for anxiety at all. I still have panic attacks every day and during the night I can wake up in panic. The doctor sent me to see a councillor but found that did not help either think I need to go back. I can't carry on like this its driving me insane "

Panic disorder December 18, 2017

"Do not take this bad medication. It's highly addictive. Hard to come off like Xanax. This is good sleeping pill. Yes it's calm down at night if it takes on night but after waking up it's giving hang over like you drunk 15 shots of vodka the night before"

Shiv shiv December 9, 2017

"This drug is good for depression but not for anxiety."

Markus86 December 3, 2017

"I've been on it for about 3 years now, side effects like drowsiness are a given, it goes away with time and adjustment. Once you're good on it you'll know, it takes time (as the doctor will tell you). Kind of worried of long term use side effects after reading online but for now it helps. be back with any updates"

freddyg4 November 10, 2017

"Loved this medication. Particularly loved the sedative side effect, because I had been unable to sleep more than an hour or two at a time, prior to taking mirtazapine. The only drawback was that my appetite, and consequently my weight increased dramatically over time. After taking it for 10 years I had to find a medication that would not make it so difficult to lose and maintain weight, but I have never found a medication that made me feel so good, relaxed, and able to sleep."

AnaChristina12 (taken for 10 years or more) November 9, 2017

"I have been on mirtazapine for a while now and my anxiety was mostly kept in check until I had a pulmonary embolism which can cause anxiety, then the anxiety kicked into high gear. The Dr increased the dosage from 15mg to 30mg. Hopefully that will provide some relief, so I can rate the drug as a 10"

Jim Dee (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 7, 2017

"Don't listen to any of the negative comments in regards to this medicine. I currently take 30mg at night. It helps with anxiety during the day and does keep u asleep at night. No real side effects with this medication. Of course it is a sedative so u r bound to be a bit sleepy at times but honestly it's not bad. More like calm then groggy. Only changes I found in myself since taking this medication is I find I don't have a deep sleep. Seems to be more like a light sleep with dreams but it's still restful and I don't regret this medication at all it's been fantastic. People say u gain weight on it but thats not true for everyone. I didn't find it made me hungry. No different then usual."

Knsk (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 4, 2017

"Make you drowsy"

Poe1974 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 16, 2017

"I have been on this medication for about 4 months now. When I first started taking it, it knocked me out hard and when I woke up I could barely walk straight. I was so dizzy and off balance it scared me. My doctor told me that it is normal and to just stick through it. I felt better the 2nd and 3rd month, while it didn’t take away my panic/anxiety disorder it did help a little bit. Now I’m on month 4, I have been having panic attacks in the middle of the night. I get weird panic Attacks which shows in uncomfortable physical symptoms. I am now going back to the doctor to see if there is anything else I can do to improve or change my medication. This did help me get off Xanax 0.25-0.5 mg for 3 months but now I need it again occasionally."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 9, 2017

"This med works great but these 7.5mg and 15mg doses I see on here seem low. At those levels it will make you so hungry (at least in my case). Just try 45mg and see if it works for you. I have also found that a little effexor mixed with it causes the hunger from each to cancel out."

beansdad October 6, 2017

"I've been on this med for 5 days now. I feel the hunger! I am constantly craving food. Sleep wise it knocks me out and keeps me asleep which is great as my anxiety usually wakes me up through out the night. I do feel a little better mood wise but not enough. I am on 15mg, one before bed. The groggy sleepy feeling has started to wear off today and I am able to function. I feel like this could work if it wasn't for the weight gain, I struggle with my weight as a size 14. I don't want to now feel depressed because I've put on weight. I've given it a 5 as I am still unsure, I don't know if I will renew this prescription."

KMH90 September 8, 2017

"I have had Generalized Anxiety since a child along with panic issues. I'm now 28 and continue a life of anxiety. I had my share of drug abuse as well to self treat my anxiety but in the end all that stuff made my anxiety worse. Not my fault my docs could not treat me. I've been on a variety of anti depressants and anti anxiety meds but I don't get access to benzos anymore, even if I have a panic attack because my doctor refuses to ever trust me with anything addictive so I'm stuck with meds like mirtazapine. It is great for sleep that's for sure. Also great for nightmares. Oh man the nightmares I've had! Great stuff I say. The nightmares.. Not the drug. I've been on it over a month now at 7.5mg and I still have a lot of anxiety."

Jimmyjn121 September 1, 2017

"I've been taking the drug for about 5 years for an anxiety. It was an absolute godsend for me. It takes a few days for the body to settle in but it's worth it. It allows me to function normally. Yes it does have a sedative effect but l take it at night which only helps me get to sleep. Yes l still suffer from mild anxiety occasionally but it is manageable. This allows me to focus on the cause which is usually procrastination of life issues such as money/health."

Greggles August 28, 2017

"I have started the mirtaz 7.5mg from last night. Unfortunately, I strongly feel the dizziness."

JH Alaric August 22, 2017

"I was prescribed 15MG for anxiety, nervousness and troubles sleeping. I struggled to fall asleep and only slept for 3-5 hours I'm now getting a full nights sleep 8 hrs+. I recommend taking them a good 1-2 hrs before bed, (I usually take them at 20:00 and my alarm is set for 7:00 - 7:30). I find it a struggle to get up and out of bed but that is normal for me. I get a really good night sleep and some pretty funky dreams. If I do wake up for any reason it isn't long before I fall back to sleep. They melt on your tongue and have a slight orangey taste, and leave your mouth numb but not for long. My anxiety has calmed down a lot and was sleeping a bit better after week 3. My appetite increased for the 1st month but returned to normal."

Sarah199 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 18, 2017

"I have been taking low dose mirtazapine (3.75 mgs) for about 10 wks now for anxiety, insomnia and mild depression. I was prescribed this after being unable to tolerate SSRI anti depressants and having a very bad reaction to Lexapro. Mirtazapine has worked well for insomnia and I started noticing improvements in anxiety levels and mood within 3-4 wks of starting. I initially had a mild increase in appetite but no weight gain, and my appetite is now normal. The drawback to this med is daytime fatigue/groggy sensation that does not lift until late afternoon. I was told this would improve with time, but it has not. For this reason I will likely taper off the med soon - not something I can put up with long term despite being effective for insomnia/anxiety."

Babe21 August 16, 2017