User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Mirtazapine Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Mirtazapine to treat Anxiety

"I was on mirtazapine for almost 3 months for anxiety. It started off good, it gave me motivation and I was feeling great everyday. After that, it just went downhill. I had never had depression or intrusive thoughts and the medication was causing them. Withdrawing from it was a nightmare. I would have panic attacks everyday and racing thoughts that would torture me. I'm still not myself again 100%. It may help some, but you should be wary that this could happen to you too. I didn't know it would be this bad."

Nati (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2018

"Hey everyone! Been suffering with anxiety, then depression that came because of anxiety and also lots of allergies for years... Been on Prozac and Xanax but eventually they stopped working. Mirtazapine is miracle to me! It literally knocks off everything that I mentioned above! I love to eat so this drug just made me enjoy food more but not gaining fat,the only side effect that I find quite annoying is dry mouth in the morning. I was on 15mg dose then went up to 30 and it's not even making me that dizzy anymore I can go for hours after. I take medicine before I go to bed and it just makes me so calm and I sleep very well. Tt also aids my allergy medicine. Great med!"

Luks (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2018

"I don't know where to start. I suggest you start at the end if you are considering this drug. Do as much research as you can. 17 months into withdrawal and no end in sight. If you take one you may not want to stop because you might just feel amazing. Really really amazing. The end is different. Very different. With the correct nutrition and exercise your body is coded to heal itself. Withdrawal stories are real. So is the paucity of response to others in withdrawal calling out for anyone who might have made it out the other side. Two people I know didn't. Please be sure before you take this. Sure that you have researched what the end looks like from patients testimonies on withdrawal. The middle might not be so enticing either. But the start. Wow!"

J (taken for 10 years or more) July 5, 2018

"Depression and anxiety all my life. My anxiety is pretty bad, to the point of paralysis. It's really ruining my life. Feels like I will faint often, body tremors, lethargic, panic attacks... And I have social phobia as well. I have tried a lot of med for the past 20 years. Now I'm taking 1 mg of clonazepam at 10 am and 0.5 mg before bedtime with 30 mg of mirtazapine. Mirtazapine is a very strong drug. I started with 1/4 of the lowest dose and it knocked me out right away. I like it because it helps a lot with my insomnia. Once you pass the side effects it's not too bad. But I wouldn't take it during the day as I find it hard to think after taking a dose. The mornings are rough. Feels like a bad hangover. But so far it's the best combo for me. If I take more than 30 mg I start to get the side effects while I was on Paxil, Lexapro and Effexor. I gain over 50lb in one year which sucks... Good luck to you all."

LifesAbitch (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 3, 2018

"I just love Mirtazapine. I am 21yr old Male. I am a college student and find hard to work in everyday life. I am very socially anxious and find hard to communicate to people and feel awkward around them. My friends are social and whenever I see their posts on social media I used to get depressed. In college it's very important to communicate with people but always I find it hard . I used to have negative thoughts, I thought I was ugly . When the problem got worse I went to psychiatrist. I have tried many SSRI and SNRI such as Zoloft, luvox, paxil, lexapro, effexor, cymbalta, vilazodone, pristiq but nothing worked. Finally doctor prescribed me Mirtazapine and within 2 weeks I felt confident, I can do anything , negative thoughts stopped, appetite increased, anxiety was gone, depression was gone. Now I love myself and got my life back again. I don't care about what people say .Mirtazapine is great for me. First 2 weeks was hard I used to have nightmares, vivid dream. My dose is 7.5mg. THANK u MIRTAZAPINE."

Ayush145ch (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2018

"I take remeron, cymbalta, and concerta. With this combination, I went from staying in my room for 10 years and now have a full time job. Remeron saved my life"

Fox (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 12, 2018

"I am taking mirtazapine 15mg for acute anxiety since February. I was on Citalopram before that but got insomnia, then I went on sertraline but side effects were worse and I got more anxiety. So along came Mirtazepine, first I thought it was a wonderful meditation I slept like a log and worry free for 6 weeks. But anxiety returned so my dose was upped to 30mg. Plus 40mg propranolol 3 times a day. I couldn’t sleep and things seemed a whole lot worse. So then I was upped to 45mg I was simply not able to “ do life “ so yesterday after 60 hours without sleep I was told to go back to just 15mg Mirtazepine and was given 14 Zopiclone and told to take 1 at night to get my sleep back in check. I am so confused, for 6 weeks I was brilliant no symptoms sleeping and eating now I don’t know what to think? Had anyone else experiencing similar, don’t really want to try yet another anti anxiety medication. Thanks Mini"

Mini June 7, 2018

"Was previously on citalopram which hindered my sleep messed with digestion and made me gain weight on also found sleeping a problem. Was initially scared of trying mirtazepine because heard of weight gain so doctor put me on low dose. Started falling asleep easier metabolism speeded up and now losing the weight I put on with citalopram. Up to now I'm finding mirtazapine brilliant"

Kimbo (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2018

"Hi Taking 15mg a day for two weeks now. Initially felt very drowsy in the morning and not with it for the best part of the day. After 5 days, it has eased. Full ache in back of head. Drained of all enthusiasm, which is not me. Is this the medicine stabilising itself or my own stress and worry? Anyone else's views will be welcomed. Thanks."

Anon (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2018

"Hello Fellow sufferers, I have been on Mirtizipine 15mg now for two weeks and it enables me to get a good nights sleep. I was getting terrible perpetual panic with butterflies in my stomach and jelly legs completely unable to function, unable to drive, confined to the house.This Mirtazipine 15mg immediately gave me a lovely nights sleep. Over Easter I did not sleep for six days and six nights and was in a very desperate state with my wife struggling to cope with looking after me. Severe anxiety is a terrible condition and it is essential that you give these anti depressant medications time to work. To become fully effective you should give it 6 to 8 weeks and in some cases longer than that. I am also prescribed Citalapram 40mg each morning and I am improving. Get morning butterflies in my stomach but the Jelly legs have gone. Appetite is also better. You need a lot of close support from family and friends but stay with your medication at least three months min. I live in the UK"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2018

"I have been on Mirtazapine for about 18 months now, went down from 15mg to 7.50mg mg per night. But the past few days I have had to deal with an issue which has caused my anxiety to kick in again. I'm wondering if I should go back to 15mg or try to ride out the storm?"

Eileen (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 2, 2018

"Have tried 3 diff anti depression pills all made the panic attacks worse. My doc gave me this mirt 15mg and after four days anxiety & panic attacks they basically stopped. I won't stop taking. It changed my live around 180. Before I could hardly leave the house, had panic attacks that were so bad there were taking my live away from me. Hate taking pills but gotta do what you gotta do."

The goat April 25, 2018

"Been on this medication for years. Consistently it is able to knock me out (had insomnia my whole life) even though it's years down the road, amazing for anxiety. Not 100 percent free of anxiety but unlike lexapro I still have my sex drive."

Nate (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 22, 2018

"Been on his antidepressant for over 15 years, very good antidepressant, I started off on the highest dose what is 45mg per day, it dose help with anxiety and depression vey well. It is best to take it at night although I’ve now switched from night to morning as I feel this helps relax me throughout the day. Chances are you will gain weight but that’s a small price to pay for some happiness."

Rammie (taken for 10 years or more) April 22, 2018

"Started Mirtazipine 2 1/2 weeks ago. First morning was very out of it and was craving potato chips. But my anxiety was gone. It even helped my depression. My sleep was choppy though. For ten days I felt so great but was fighting serious appetite increase. Managed to lose 2 lbs due to diet and exercise. Then it started to stop working so well. I’m hoping an increase from 15mg to 30mg will help but usually when I’m on a med and it stops working like this, it’s basically over. Not happy as I felt free of anxiety. Would have given it a higher rating but this constant craving for anything edible is unbearable at times."

AlwaysAnxious68 April 19, 2018

"I was put on Mirtapizine 6 days ago. Had been on Zoloft for three weeks for anxiety. Horrible side effects. Lost 12 lbs, wasn't sleeping and felt darkly depressed. Stopped it and 5 days later took 7.5mg of Mirtapizine. Slept like a dead person. Groggy the next day but no anxiety. Now 6 days later the groggy feeling is gone and Im having increased anxiety in the afternoon and evenings so I'm thinking I need to increase to 15mg. I'll talk to my doc tomorrow. Also, don't know if its my anxiety or the med, I'm feeling jittery afternoons and evenings. I have gain back some weight as well."

Barlcsw (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2018

"I have been on this medication twice now over a period of 3-4 years. It literally changed my life for the better. I suffer from severe anxiety and have found that since I went back on it I feel better than I have in 20 years or more. I am able to interact, work, socialize and even go on vacation. I will NEVER go off of this medication again because without it my quality of life suffers. Be patient and make sure to take it at night and you will be able to get to sleep and stay asleep. Ensure that the dosage is enough as I was gradually getting a larger dose until I finally felt good. There is weight gain but it’s a small price to pay to get your life back and BETTER than it ever was."

Tyrox (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 15, 2018

"Was prescribed this at the end of 2017 due to worsening depression and anxiety, along with "all nighters" and severe mood drops. Doc put me on 30mg and I can explain personally what it done for me. I'm currently not on them due to me being a bit of a weirdo (Hypochondriac) and thinking of going back on them. 1st few days on them: Tired, groggy feeling, but I was VERY relaxed. 1 week: Settled down with grogginess, felt very chilled, but this is why I've quit them temporarily. 2-3rd week: Sleeping fine, but was feeling very, numb. Like I just didn't feel much emotion whatsoever which made me feel a bit anxious and uneasy, (even though these tablets are supposed to stop that) I did not suffer with any weight gain issues, was hungry a lot but I have a fast metabolism, and no sexual drive decreases I think the only thing I really suffered with was loss of affection, love etc, which kinda bums me out."

IDH March 14, 2018

"Hi been on mitazapine,week four 27mg , still wake up with anxiety and needing loo all the time. I can still feel myself shaking still. I may need to up the dose tonight ,"

Sue22a (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2018

"After a horrendous experience on sertraline (manic and self harm), my GP has switched me to Mirtazapine 2 weeks in on 15mg. No huge change in anxiety / mood etc. I fall asleep within 5-10mins of taking it. Unfortunately I have started getting dizziness and vomiting. I hope this passes as I have been in bed all weekend with it. No appetite increase or weight gain, thank goodness. Increase in libido which is interesting (my bf is not complaining!). Got a Dr appointment this week...will be interesting to see if she wants to up my dose and, if so, how that goes for me."

Jxx01 (taken for less than 1 month) February 24, 2018

"Been on this drug for about two months. Every other drug made me worse.. Mirtazapine has helped heaps. Put on a couple of pounds but I'm relaxed and happy. My friends noticed the difference. Works fast also."

Neil (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 24, 2018

"First week: drowsiness and hunger, ate loads craving food. The drowsiness made the days difficult to go through, I started my course of meds 2 days before the weekend and those two days of work were difficult. Everything did settled down, I only got drowsy before bed and small increase in appetite than usual. 2-3 weeks: slight increased suicidal thoughts and more depressive mood, although my doctor had discussed this with me it wasn't fun. After a few months everything did get better with my overthinking and my anxiety. Worrying all reduced, I feel safer going outside, it's made life better. I've been on meds for almost a year now, my dosage has gone all the way up to and I'm on my way back down currently, I've personally coupled this with CBT therapy. Withdrawal affects for me have been as bad as not sleeping due to accidentally missing doses. Overall I'd say being persistent with meds for months or years will be good, I'd like to think I'm not ashamed of being on meds and I know I will get better now."

G28 February 8, 2018

"I’m on week 2 of mirtazapine and have gone from 15mg in the first week to 30mg in the second. I was prescribed it for anxiety and low mood. I’ve found that it had definitely started to help as I don’t feel utter terror on waking in the morning. My sleep is very disturbed and I wake up a lot but I do feel refreshed in the morning. I know it’s early days but I hope that the glimmer of light that I can see at the end of the tunnel gets bigger as the days go on. How long have other people found it takes to feel ok and function again properly? Thanks "

Mannajon February 2, 2018

"After suffering what could only be classed as a “mental breakdown” from anxiety and depression. I was put on citalapram (horrendous) and then Sertraline (which left me suicidal) and finally a doctor prescribed me mirtazapine. For the first 5-7days I felt sedated but that could have been because of the comedown from the worst bout of anxiety I’d ever experienced. I immediately felt better, I slept properly for the first time in months and my anxiety immediately reduced. I was on 15mg for over a year, now reduced to 7.5mg (no withdrawal). This medication literally saved my life and I’ll continue to take it long term. Only side affect (aside from the initial sedation) I had was slight weight gain. I went from 52kg to 55kg."

Mochalover January 20, 2018

"I have been on this for 2 weeks now. Prescribed by my Dr after being given Lorazepam but having no luck. I am still having panic attacks daily, but I am finding I am able to calm myself down a little easier most of the time. I also suffer from Depression and Insomnia so these help with those. I have been feeling very foggy and sluggish the next day though and this has been making it hard for me to function at work. After reading these reviews though I am wondering why my Dr has given me 30mg straight away. I will definitely update this the longer I am on it"

MrsRissole January 16, 2018