User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Mirtazapine Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 188 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Mirtazapine to treat Anxiety

"I was dismissed from work 6 months ago despite delivering very good results. It was a shock and sent me into depression and anxiety including a stay at the psychiatric ward. At most I was treated with 30 mg stesolid (diazepam) in addition to increasing doses of sertraline (zoloft). The sertraline has helped lift the depression and also anxiety while still on stesolid. But my anxiety became almost unbearable when I started withdrawing from stesolid. My doctor recommended mirtazapine, but I left it unused after having seen many bad reviews. I finally gave it a try 3 days ago. It has worked very well for me; 3rd day off stesolid and today there is almost no anxiety! Some interesting dreams and a bit increased apetite but so far so good!"

FlyingD (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2017

"I started taking Mirtazapine 15mg 5 weeks ago as I was in a very bad place with Pure obsessive Disorder and GAD. It has been really helpful in controlling my Generlised Anxiety and has allowed me to enjoy my Christmas and New year and life again. It hasn't really helped with my pure obsessional thoughts directly but has really helped lower my anxiety which does trigger my pure obsessional thoughts so indirectly I suppose it has made them more controllable. I've had no weight gain and weight has remained the same through out. The only side effects were sleepiness and drowsiness in 1st week. If you are worried about gaining weight on this drug then I suggest weighing yourself before and during taking it. I would definitely recommend it"

Fretbuzz119 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2017

"Is a tricky drug but cons out weigh pros I experienced weight gain good if under weight not good for someone already appetite like me took a month to experience antidepressant and anti anxiety properties also helped with sleep but had bad effect on intellectual ability and totally ruined sex drive and actually made me more anxious in mornings and caused head aches when I tried to stop taking so would not recommend why do doctor s push the SSRI s all the time when Valium far more effective for sleep and anxiety problems this and St Johns and comprehensive supplements and improved diet and active lifestyle s far better choice"

lifelove (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 7, 2017

"Very effective very minor side affects"

Phil125 January 2, 2017

"Was juggling a family, 30hr p/t job & unive full time, whilst dealing with immediate relatives that were either ill or dying. Needless to say I hit rock bottom, was underweight & felt like I was walking the 'Green Mile'!! I can only describe the feeling as if my body was running on 'flight' mode. Clearly the extra adrenaline was needed as I was being pulled from pillar to post with deadlines, deadlines, deadlines. It got too much. No appetite, constant weight of despair on my chest, insomnia and endless worry. After a week of taking Mirt, the anxieties disappeared as did the despair. Felt normal but not in a drugged up way. Was able to sleep/wake well and focus."

U.K. Lady (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 30, 2016

"I have GAD. Mirtazapin made me sleep like a kid, and made my anxiety low and I felt more safe."

Zerotonin December 28, 2016

"Before taking this medicine, I had severe anxiety/depression. I was constantly nauseous to the point where I quit eating and got down to 90lbs and was having panic attacks nonstop. I couldn't sleep. I just felt like I wanted to die because I didn't want to live my life like that anymore. I was so scared to try taking antidepressants for the first time because I've read so many bad things. But I finally did it and I've been on 15mg mirtazapine for about a month and a half now and I can't remember the last time I had a panic attack, I don't want to die anymore, I sleep through the night, and I can eat again! I do still have some general anxiety but this medication has saved my life!! I actually feel like myself again and am able to function"

Briii December 20, 2016

"Been on sertraline for anxiety however my limbs have had a constant ache so doc changed me to mirtazapine 15mg . I took half a tablet b4 bedtime last night & slept well but woke up totally zombified. ....I am a carer so can't function feeling like this so wont be taking anymore!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2016

"Initially prescribed 15mg after 2 weeks and no improvement dosage upped to 30mg per day with the option to take an additional 15mg for anxiety. Week 1 well to be fair i really didn't know if I was awake or asleep - it was like an out of body experience. I was unable to function whatsoever. Week 2 dropped myself to 2 tablets to try and regain some function and normality this helped for around 1 week. That was when everything then started moodiness anxiety lThese pills have turned my world upside down and now I am an irrational nasty fearfull and genrally unwell person. I'm going to the gp tomorrow to stop these as they are terrible for me."

Kandix123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2016

"Diagnosed with depression, S.A.D. and anxiety, all because of my sleep, or lack of. Felt like a zombie everyday and would wake up on average 40 times a night, falling asleep for no longer then an hour then anxious all night and angry knowing I was wide awake. Prescribed mirtazapine 15mg one tablet before bed. It has worked wonders for me, I'm able to go to sleep for about 3 or 4 hours then when i do wake up in not wide awake or angry and can go back to sleep. Granted I only sleep for 20 mins at a time afterwards but I'm calm. It has been 3 months on and im still going OK. Id like to get off them soon so fingers crossed!"

Chris Cap December 4, 2016

"I started taking Mirtazapine almost a month ago and its been a wonder drug for me. Needed something for crippling anxiety + panic attacks, depression, chronic insomnia, sleep paralysis,night terrors, self medication with alcohol just to sleep and quell anxiety. Prescribed 15 mg at bed-time. Took 1/4 (3.75 mg) a night for 4 nights, then 1/2 (7.5 mgs) for two nights and then on to 15 mgs. Now I sleep (but can wake up if needed), zero anxiety, no increase in appetite. I've even lost a bit of weight do to no longer drinking alcohol - a small miracle in itself and my libido has returned. I had a terrible reaction to Prozac years ago - anorexia, self harm, mania, no libido, alcohol cravings, intrusive thoughts. So glad my doctor gave me Mirt."

Aussie Chick (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2016

"Mitrazapine made my anxiety worse. It has been hell getting off Mirtazapine. It has taken me 2 years to get to 3mg from 37.5mg. It has done nothing for me, but cause havoc in my life. Weight gain, nightmares, anxiety, panic, sugar cravings, night sweats, body quackes. Neck pressure, head aches, pressure in the head, pins and needles in the arms, chest, burning head, food / suppliment intolerance . Can't wait to get off this poison. Also developed pot belly from this drug, and I have always had a flat stomach. When you stop Mitrazapine, does that go away?"

Here is Hope November 19, 2016

"TERRIBLE!!!- do not take! First off this made me super super hungry. Secondly it made me a complete zombie. My friends and teachers said I was worse than normal and I already had depression. Not only does it make you zombie like when I increased to 30mg it gave me the worst headaches for at least 24hrs! It felt like a really bad hangover- I became so sensitive to sounds It was living hell. Never again"

violet1234 November 11, 2016

"this medication only made me feel worse I took it for my anxiety and panic attacks and honestly it didn't help at all if anything made things worse. I put on about 10kg the hungers been horrible the weight gain makes me feel worse. at the start of taking it it stopped my ability to have panic attack so my anxiety would build to no release but now the panic attacks have come back and theyre worse. ineffective and horrible side effects"

AAAP123 November 1, 2016

"I had been loosing 1lb per week for 6 months with a constant stomach ache untill i was put on 15mg Mirtazapine. My stomach ache went away by 85% & i was able to start eating again. Also sleeping better but groggy n the morning."

Anonymous October 29, 2016

"I found out i have a anxiety disorder that has caused seizures. Finally i can walk around and sleep .also not aggetated anymore. I do get a little light headed tho."

34mum (taken for less than 1 month) October 19, 2016

"I started at 15mg then 30mg. It is not helpful for my anxiety. It only calms me down an hour before bedtime but then I am awake with terrible anxiety 3 hours later."

Jen75768 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2016

"I was prescribed Mirtazapine for severe anxiety, I took my first 15mg dose and waited to fall asleep as this is what the doctor told me to expect, I laid almost paralysed hallucinating on and off all night but at that point I thought I was dreaming,my husband picked up on the fact that I was wide awake hallucinating,the emergency doctor told me to discontinue immediately, I never took another dose but 5 days later I still feel very ill,itching all over and just not myself,i was told it could take 200 hours to leave my body completely by my pharmacist, I just pray it's over soon, it's been a terrible experience for me personally."

Mel77007 September 29, 2016

"I suffer from severe anxiety and panic attack disorder. I take 30mg, the recommended therapeutic dose. This medicine does not serve well as a long form treatment for anxiety in my opinion. It only produces a calming effect for a short lived period of time after taking it at night. Upon waking in the morning, my anxiety is always back to normal and has had zero effect in subduing anxiety symptoms or panic attacks. I worry it has an effect on my blood sugar because I often get symptoms of irritability, lightheadedness, and a fast heart rate. I wake up several times in the night extremely thirsty which is starting to make me worried. I think there's a reason this has to be prescribed off-label for anxiety...it's not shown to be effective."

MeepMeep92 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 23, 2016

"Effective for manic anxiety in my case.Started well-But 12 months in:Put on 3 stone in weight/from size 12 to 18/Developed large pot belly associated with this drug & look 6 months pregnant/Chronic flatulence/Exhausted after a drugged 12 hour sleep each night so cannot work/Really bad memory loss/No libido whatsoever/The general slothness of not having the energy or impetus to do anything. The hunger this drug creates is insatiable: a sudden hollow pit in your stomach that needs to be filled instantly-I have never experienced anything like it, even throughout pregnancy. I you're ok living life not giving a damn about anything, this is for you,it does spin you out to nothingness. If you want a recovery-refuse this drug & seek an alternative"

Nicky Mango (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 22, 2016

"I have been taking the medication for about 1month and it is helping me to over come my anxiety and depression as well as my insomnia . I may be having a side affect as to being hungry all day and after eating several meals still hungry . Craving all sweets and all foods witch i dont like to eat but is very affective on my disorders and i would like a higher dosage of maybe 20 milagrams a tablet ."

J.A.P September 17, 2016

"I'm writing this review hoping that I can help someone in the future who is in the same situation as I was. I had chronic nausea for 6 months after a stomach bug and went from doctor to doctor until I was diagnosed with post-infectious functional dyspepsia by a really good gastroenterologist. I was immediately put on mirtazapine, starting on 7,5mg at bedtime and then increasing to 15mg after 3 weeks. This drug worked wonders and I recovered my appetite within the first week, and I was virtually free of nausea after less than a month. Side effects were a lot of sleepiness at first (it went away in a few weeks), some constipation and loss of libido."

uri5 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2016

"I have been on the medication about a month I take 30mg at night along with 20mg of Paxil. They seem to work great together I have no anxiety attacks anymore I fall right asleep within 10 min of taking them the only problem I have seen so far is that it's extremely difficult to stay awake during the day and I am ALWAYS hungry. I can eat several meals a day and all I think about all day is food I have gained 20 lbs in one month of taking this medication."

Megeraid (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 7, 2016

"How long has it taken for the full effects of mirtazapine to take place and set in?"

Normsfern August 31, 2016

"I am 23. I went on Mirt after trying Zoloft and a few other anti-depressants in the past. I was having extreme health anxiety and nocturnal panic attacks; basically anxiety that completely took over my life. Compared to the side effects Zoloft game me Mirtazapine was amazing at first. It was like an instant calming effect after taking it. I stopped having the nocturnal panic attacks... However; I have hypersomnia and went from panic to oversleeping and bad dreams. Sadly, it was just too much for me. If you have insomnia I bet this med would be perfect for you... It was great for my anxiety. Unfortunately had to switch. Give it a try though! I loved it besides the sleep issue."

rknrbn (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2016