User Reviews for Mirtazapine systemic

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Mirtazapine Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 167 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Mirtazapine to treat Anxiety

"Hello, I find this drug very good, I have been suffering from severe anxiety and depression to the point I couldn’t even drive it was so bad. I was self medicating since I was 17-21 with benzodiazepines then 2 years on Sertraline but found my tolerance built to quickly and nothing worked anymore and got worse anxiety and depression so when I was prescribed Clozapam my tolerance shot up after two days so I was prescribed Mirtazapine and after two days with amazing sleep and minimal anxiety, I have a really strong natural tolerance to all drugs including coffee, alcohol, everything which sucks I’m just hoping it’s not the same for Mirtazapine. I take 7.5mg in the morning and 7.5mg evenings."

Jack (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2018

"This has been a great drug for me. For most of my 35 years I have suffered with anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts, poor appetite and more recently sleep issues. This drug has improved all of them, it's not perfect but it takes the edge off and I can live a normal life. I will never come off this drug as my life would be poor without it."

Exhibita (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 12, 2018

"I have been taking Remeron for almost 2 years now. I suffered from insomnia my entire life, and I was 36 years old when I started taking it. I sleep like a baby now. I tried almost every other antidepressant on the market, they all made me manic and my blood pressure skyrocket. My doctor said this one is unique because it takes you down a few notches instead of giving you energy which was great for me. Getting a good nights sleep is so important for everyone. Especially with depression and anxiety. This helped me more than anything. I take 30 mg right before bedtime, I do have very vivid dreams but that's something I can deal with. It truly started helping me within the 1st week. I used to feel lucky to get 3 hours of sleep at night, now I get anywhere from 8-10."

Ash333 December 12, 2018

"Been taking mirtazapine for 8 weeks. The first 6 was hard as it takes a while to kick in still get anxiety but it’s mild and low mood which is now mild too. I was taking 15mg for 4 weeks upped to 30mg took some getting used to with a little bit of increased anxiety for 2-3 weeks but hopefully with perseverance I will get my full life back. I’m 90 percent there. Don’t give up on them they do eventually start working and if u lost ur appetite like me and I lost 3 stone in 6 weeks you will definitely get it back. Sleep is a lot better. I have nightmares occasionally but the pros definitely outweigh the cons"

Anxietywarrior (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2018

"I've been taking Mirtazapine for almost a week and it has reduced my anxiety. It's not perfect as I'm groggy half the next day but it seems to slow down my intrusive thoughts which trigger the panic and fast heart. I take 15mg before bedtime and it seems to help with sleep as well as my appetite which was non existent. So if you have anxiety along with poor sleep & appetite this drug could be your best bet. Hopefully this drug will help me long term!"

Gary33 (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2018

"Only on my second day because I hadn't slept for days, knocked me out totally but the fatigue has been awful, also very dizzy with nervous stomach and fast pulse, Contemplating stopping because I would rather feel rough through sleep depravation than feel like this"

Ariel (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2018

"Firstly, I used Mirtazapine 3 years ago for a period of 3 months. During that period it worked for my anxiety and sleep. However, ever since I stopped it, my sleep pattern was kind of a erratic. I noticed that my REM sleep was badly affected and thus have ever since suffered from various forms of insomnia. I'm still struggling 3 years post treatment, but vowed to never get back to any form of medication to address my anxiety/insomnia."

Pat (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2018

"I was given an ultimatum by my GP to taper off Diazepam and change to Mirtazapine- I am currently taking 7.5 mg of Mirtazapine and 8 mg of diazepam per day and I feel so sleepy all day long - and have a much bigger appetite. I’m hoping that in the end ( nd soon) I can just take Mirtazapine 15mg at night and 4 mg of diazepam in the day AND function ... I am new to Mirtazapine, so I think it’s getting into my system gradually - it doesn’t affect your sex Life apparently. So, early days but we will see ... Has anyone else moved from diazepam to Mirtazapine??"

Mejustme November 15, 2018

"I've tried mirtazapine a couple times for my anxiety, and always found the cons to outweigh the pros. Some people can tolerate antidepressants, and unfortunately I don't think I'm one of them. Besides the initial sedation it caused, I don't think it helped my anxiety, and I was too scared to keep taking it or up the dose because of the side effects, and the concern of withdrawals that in some cases are semi-permanent. The sleep effects only lasted a week, and it caused akathisia for me. My teeth would chatter and my eyes would twitch randomly. The final nail in the coffin was that I had what I can only assume was a near-seizure while playing a video game, which has never happened to me before. It's a dirty drug with an affinity on a ton of different receptors, so take at your own risk. If you're prone to side effects from medication I wouldn't recommend this."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 5, 2018

"I have been taking 15mg at night for 2 weeks now. The first week I slept well but felt really sedated the next day well into the afternoon. My anxiety seem to dampen down which was a relief but after a week, the sedation effects started to wear off and I was having broken sleep. My anxiety has intensified slightly and now I’m having trouble sleeping again. It also has not had an effect on my depression."

Lucy (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2018

"Mirtazapine is a good drug if you’re struggling with appetite and sleep. It consistently knocked me out every night, but you wake up groggy. It didn’t do much for anxiety at any dose. When anxiety provoking situations came I still felt completely anxious. It’s a good drug, but I doubt it will solve anxiety issues."

Bmwdude18 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2018

"I'm a bipolar with coexisting anxiety. I mean crippling anxiety. Remeron has been a godsend. Of course I'm on a cocktail of 5 different psych drugs so can't chalk it 100 percent to remeron however if I miss it at night I am completely unable to function the next day. If I miss the others no big deal as long as I don't miss several in a row. It is my cornerstone so to speak I hope and pray it doesn't poop out on me.... there's my condensed story. I have had practically 0 weight gain and do not crave carbs like most but I don't have a stomach so feeding is scheduled. It is very very important to take it exactly the same time each night and go to bed. This knocks me out within 10 minutes and sleep soundly for at least 6 hours."

Coyotejuice (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 14, 2018

"I've been on Avanza for 10 months, first prescribed 120mg at night as I began treatment in a Rehab. I can say it really has helped me, from having panic attacks and severe social anxiety. I was then taking 30mg and then gradually coming down to 15mg. I've stopped eating again and anxiety and depression have increased. Anxiety around getting back into work and starting a new relationship has sent me downhill. Only negative effect I had while on a high dose was wanting to sleep during the day, now I can't take a nap if I wanted to. I did have increased appetite and weight gain on higher dose which is fine, I'm extremely insecure about my looks so I try to exercise as much as I can with weights. So I'd much prefer to eat too much than nothing fueling my body."

Mike (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 14, 2018

"Hi guys im currently on 30mg mirtazapine as I have depression and anxiety issues with autism. These tablets knock me to sleep with in 30 mins thats why I take them at night. I have been on them for 2 months as I was suffering with suicidal thoughts after taking mirtazapine the thoughts have stopped and I have been much more stable"

Just jordy (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 9, 2018

"Worst hell I ever experienced. Worked ok at first for sleep then the side effects got worse. Started making me feel more agitated, depressed, trashed my immune system, respiratory issues, horrid body pain in muscles and joints, made me more allergic to foods, bad eye sight, horrific nightmares, suicidal thoughts, skin sensitivities, akathesia, fogged head. Worst withdrawals shaking, diarrhea, vertigo, sweating, passing out feelings, vomiting, severe panic attacks, akathesia, terror, derealization, sensitivities to lights, sounds, smells, worse depression, agitation, anxiety off the charts, hard to eat because you want to vomit and food just sits in your stomach if you can eat, hard to walk some days at all. Itching and rashes, painful headaches, burning skin, neuropathy. Lost half my hair and skin like sandpaper. I was a beautiful woman before this drug. I have no idea if I will ever be the same. BEWARE this drug can change on a dime and destroy you!"

Burnedbymirt (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 25, 2018

"Mirtazapine helps my pain and helps me sleep. But I do have vivid nightmares. But that's okay it's a very good sleeping pills. It works very good for me..."

RedWhite81 (taken for 10 years or more) July 27, 2018

"To the poster anon: 15 mg generally is a dose that just puts you to sleep. Higher doses are actually used for antidepressant therapy. That is why you are lethargic I have experience the same thing and been on it the last 6 months. Drained of all energy everyday. Now have worse anxiety making the anxiety draining even worse."

Proper med user (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 25, 2018

"Hey guys! I have been on Mirtazapine 30mg for about a year and I just find they make me worse all round. I'm paranoid, I'm ratty, I'm tired all the time and now the last 6 months my anxiety has been the best it has ever been. I have paid to go to the priory for an appointment and he is switching me and giving me other options (letting ME pick a new one which doesn't make sense I'd rather more guidance!) but I don't know, I give up with them. Yeah they make you sleep, thats it! I eat more and always put on a stone or two lol I have no sex drive and I just cant relax or just see the good in life atm so for me they just haven't worked. Do your research before trying them and good luck peeps! x"

Rhiannon (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 25, 2018

"25 yr male. Prescribed 15mg at night daily. This drug will put you to sleep within an hour of taking it. Dreams are intense. You will have weight gain and hunger cravings. As for helping me with anxiety & depression I didn’t see much improvement. It did help with sleep. I came off of it because I felt handcuffed to it. I felt once I took it at night I couldn’t do anything like go get a drink with friends or attend a concert because the sleeping affects are that powerful."

Manny (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 21, 2018

"I take Mirtazapine for anxiety and depression. This medication has worked great for me, I am able to sleep properly also and eat normal. Before taking it I was around 60-62kg at 186cm (Not a good look at all) but I just could not eat due to the anxiety and depression, I had stomach aches pretty much all day...now after taking mirtazapine I am 75kg and feel so much better in myself. I find that when I wake up in the mornings (After a awesome 7 hours sleep or so) I am able to go on about my day and actually do things, unlike before where I'd just lay there and contemplate every bad thing in my life and think negatively. It feel it has made me relax more in social settings also, It has not cured my anxiety 100%, I mean I doubt a pill can do that but it has allowed me to relax more and just engage in life with more focus and positivity."

seagull11 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 17, 2018

"I was on mirtazapine for almost 3 months for anxiety. It started off good, it gave me motivation and I was feeling great everyday. After that, it just went downhill. I had never had depression or intrusive thoughts and the medication was causing them. Withdrawing from it was a nightmare. I would have panic attacks everyday and racing thoughts that would torture me. I'm still not myself again 100%. It may help some, but you should be wary that this could happen to you too. I didn't know it would be this bad."

Nati (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2018

"Hey everyone! Been suffering with anxiety, then depression that came because of anxiety and also lots of allergies for years... Been on Prozac and Xanax but eventually they stopped working. Mirtazapine is miracle to me! It literally knocks off everything that I mentioned above! I love to eat so this drug just made me enjoy food more but not gaining fat,the only side effect that I find quite annoying is dry mouth in the morning. I was on 15mg dose then went up to 30 and it's not even making me that dizzy anymore I can go for hours after. I take medicine before I go to bed and it just makes me so calm and I sleep very well. Tt also aids my allergy medicine. Great med!"

Luks (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2018

"I don't know where to start. I suggest you start at the end if you are considering this drug. Do as much research as you can. 17 months into withdrawal and no end in sight. If you take one you may not want to stop because you might just feel amazing. Really really amazing. The end is different. Very different. With the correct nutrition and exercise your body is coded to heal itself. Withdrawal stories are real. So is the paucity of response to others in withdrawal calling out for anyone who might have made it out the other side. Two people I know didn't. Please be sure before you take this. Sure that you have researched what the end looks like from patients testimonies on withdrawal. The middle might not be so enticing either. But the start. Wow!"

J (taken for 10 years or more) July 5, 2018

"Depression and anxiety all my life. My anxiety is pretty bad, to the point of paralysis. It's really ruining my life. Feels like I will faint often, body tremors, lethargic, panic attacks... And I have social phobia as well. I have tried a lot of med for the past 20 years. Now I'm taking 1 mg of clonazepam at 10 am and 0.5 mg before bedtime with 30 mg of mirtazapine. Mirtazapine is a very strong drug. I started with 1/4 of the lowest dose and it knocked me out right away. I like it because it helps a lot with my insomnia. Once you pass the side effects it's not too bad. But I wouldn't take it during the day as I find it hard to think after taking a dose. The mornings are rough. Feels like a bad hangover. But so far it's the best combo for me. If I take more than 30 mg I start to get the side effects while I was on Paxil, Lexapro and Effexor. I gain over 50lb in one year which sucks... Good luck to you all."

LifesAbitch (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 3, 2018

"I just love Mirtazapine. I am 21yr old Male. I am a college student and find hard to work in everyday life. I am very socially anxious and find hard to communicate to people and feel awkward around them. My friends are social and whenever I see their posts on social media I used to get depressed. In college it's very important to communicate with people but always I find it hard . I used to have negative thoughts, I thought I was ugly . When the problem got worse I went to psychiatrist. I have tried many SSRI and SNRI such as Zoloft, luvox, paxil, lexapro, effexor, cymbalta, vilazodone, pristiq but nothing worked. Finally doctor prescribed me Mirtazapine and within 2 weeks I felt confident, I can do anything , negative thoughts stopped, appetite increased, anxiety was gone, depression was gone. Now I love myself and got my life back again. I don't care about what people say .Mirtazapine is great for me. First 2 weeks was hard I used to have nightmares, vivid dream. My dose is 7.5mg. THANK u MIRTAZAPINE."

Ayush145ch (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2018