User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Mirtazapine Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Mirtazapine to treat Anxiety

"Was prescribed this for depressive and anxiety symptoms relating to BPD (borderline personality disorder) And for SAD (social anxiety disorder). Started on 15mg for one month then 45mg. Few months in and so far no effect at all on any symptoms."

Speed292 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I stopped zoloft 2 month ago . Now my anxiety returned with severe insomnia and bouts of depression . Was prescribed remeron. Am scared about trying it .will it help me sleep from day 1 ?"

Anonymous 12345 March 30, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Taking Mirtazipine 45mgs for anxiety at night get a good nights sleep and no hung over feelings on waking do get a dry mouth but its worth it for the help this drug gives me"

Mirtel (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 20, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"These are absolutely horrible! I Literally took one tablet and they've knocked me out for 3 days. I feel like an absolute zombie, can't drive, can barely string a sentence together, and sleeping horribly. They're making me have very weird vivid dreams and I wake up exhausted. I will never ever take these pills again."

Sarahap (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm rating this drug bang in the middle because I do believe it will help some people I took 15mg twice a day only lasted 10 days because of the side effects Pros: Slept instantly every night just after taking So much energy....this did become too much will explain in cons Lift in mood almost straight away No groggy feeling in the morning Cons: The munchies were INSANE I couldn't stop eating sugary foods Increase appetite too extreme I became too 'high' experienced shaking hands and severe twitching Feeling manic and hyperactive became too much So although at first it was a wonder drug for me it quickly became problematic with the side effects. I was prescribed mirtazapine for severe anxiety and depression"

Joeyrose (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was experiencing GAD, major depressive disorder and OCD for about 9 months. Been in and out of hospitals with no real help. Decided to try mirtazipine alone (always took it in addition to an SSRI, never alone). Started with 15 mg but broke it up into three times a day. 7.5 mg in the morning, 3.75 mg at noon, then another 3.75 mg at bedtime). Saved my life. Initially, my anxiety just about disappeared which in turn helped my depression. After about 2 weeks, I started waking up with returning anxiety and depression but am continuing with 15 mg until I see my doctor in 2 weeks. I can't say enough about this med. I'm not able to take normal ADs, mood stabilizers, or benzos as I experience terrible side affects."

Kmert March 12, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was diagnosed with severe GAD .Doc prescribed me mirtazapine15mg and zolpidem 10mg.in the beginning I was terribily restless and I was having strange dreams."

Ukgamer March 10, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Diagnosed with GAD and depression about 5 months ago. Had loads of CBT and therapy which helped a bit (thank you BUPA) and 7 weeks on Fluoxetine/Prozac which had loads of side effects & didn't seem to help. Saw a psychiatrist who said stop the fluoxetine which is probably the most mood enhancing AD so good for depression not so much for anxiety and swapped me to 15mg Mitrazapine 4 days ago which he said was far more calming. I slept 8 hours straight the first night, then 9 & 9. Anxiety almost gone & not feeling depressed much. Hopefully this continues, I know it's early days but I'm actually looking forward to tomorrow which is a new feeling for me."

Panicer (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2017

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Mirtazapine is a miracle, but you have to take a SMALL dose, meaning about 7.5 mg to 15 mg, no more than that. Larger doses cause too much adrenaline release, so if you gave up on Mirt before, try it again with a pill splitter at a very small dose, just before bedtime. It will help you sleep, and it has virtually the opposite side effects of SSRIs, meaning no sexual side effects, and no anxiety increase (only decrease). I take it for debilitating anxiety just as I described."

Eric2222017 February 9, 2017

54 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"An update after ca. 1 month on Mirtazapine: Now on 22.5 mg mirt (evening) and still 200 mg of Sertraline (morning). The mirt worked very well to start with, but after 2 weeks my anxiety has come back with a vengeance, and the body screams for benzos (but not getting any). Stopped with diazepam one month ago, so it may still be withdrawal effects? My thoughts about the past and future fuel anxiety and then the anxiety fuels the thoughts and there you go... Ringing in my ears and the same melody playing in my head over and over again, palpations and feeling miserable. Any advice? Not a miracle drug after all?"

FlyingD (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It started out with an abortion- with respect to whatever your opinion may be on that matter, I had my carefully thought out reasons. My boyfriend and I were very literally starving due to lack of money and food. The baby was taking in any nutrients I was getting- I wasn't going to survive the pregnancy. It was an extremely difficult decision and I struggled with it heavily. After the abortion, I continued to lose weight-I am 5ft and weighed 80lbs the nausea continued for another 6 months and I was having regular panick attacks due to the anxiety caused by the abortion. I have been on Mirtazapine for a month now, and the nausea and over all anxiety is nearly eliminated, and I am back to a healthy weight. This drug saved my quality of life."

Little stuff January 27, 2017

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on mirtazapine for about three weeks now as I have GAD, it has worked fine until recently, the last few nights, I was thinking about increasing it to 30mg see if that helps, but doctor mentioned that it works better when taking 15mg ? Any advice would be great thanks in advance"

Fmac1973 January 26, 2017

"The worst"

Hooj (taken for 10 years or more) January 24, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Very Dry Mouth Strange dreams. Ringing ears ."

Mr Imagine January 22, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on Mirtazipine 30 mgs for several years for anxiety and to help me sleep recently as I suddenly had severe palpatations a new docter prescribed me Sertaline 50 mgs this was terrible it made me even more anxious and I felt really unwell. I am now back on Mirtazapine and beginning to feel well once again never again will I switch to another drug I now have this drug on my repeat prescription list and highly recommend it"

Birdqueen (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 20, 2017

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking Mirtazapine 15mg 5 weeks ago as I was in a very bad place with Pure obsessive Disorder and GAD. It has been really helpful in controlling my Generlised Anxiety and has allowed me to enjoy my Christmas and New year and life again. It hasn't really helped with my pure obsessional thoughts directly but has really helped lower my anxiety which does trigger my pure obsessional thoughts so indirectly I suppose it has made them more controllable. I've had no weight gain and weight has remained the same through out. The only side effects were sleepiness and drowsiness in 1st week. If you are worried about gaining weight on this drug then I suggest weighing yourself before and during taking it. I would definitely recommend it"

Fretbuzz119 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2017

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Is a tricky drug but cons out weigh pros I experienced weight gain good if under weight not good for someone already appetite like me took a month to experience antidepressant and anti anxiety properties also helped with sleep but had bad effect on intellectual ability and totally ruined sex drive and actually made me more anxious in mornings and caused head aches when I tried to stop taking so would not recommend why do doctor s push the SSRI s all the time when Valium far more effective for sleep and anxiety problems this and St Johns and comprehensive supplements and improved diet and active lifestyle s far better choice"

lifelove (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 7, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Very effective very minor side affects"

Phil125 January 2, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was juggling a family, 30hr p/t job & unive full time, whilst dealing with immediate relatives that were either ill or dying. Needless to say I hit rock bottom, was underweight & felt like I was walking the 'Green Mile'!! I can only describe the feeling as if my body was running on 'flight' mode. Clearly the extra adrenaline was needed as I was being pulled from pillar to post with deadlines, deadlines, deadlines. It got too much. No appetite, constant weight of despair on my chest, insomnia and endless worry. After a week of taking Mirt, the anxieties disappeared as did the despair. Felt normal but not in a drugged up way. Was able to sleep/wake well and focus."

U.K. Lady (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 30, 2016

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have GAD. Mirtazapin made me sleep like a kid, and made my anxiety low and I felt more safe."

Zerotonin December 28, 2016

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Before taking this medicine, I had severe anxiety/depression. I was constantly nauseous to the point where I quit eating and got down to 90lbs and was having panic attacks nonstop. I couldn't sleep. I just felt like I wanted to die because I didn't want to live my life like that anymore. I was so scared to try taking antidepressants for the first time because I've read so many bad things. But I finally did it and I've been on 15mg mirtazapine for about a month and a half now and I can't remember the last time I had a panic attack, I don't want to die anymore, I sleep through the night, and I can eat again! I do still have some general anxiety but this medication has saved my life!! I actually feel like myself again and am able to function"

Briii December 20, 2016

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been on sertraline for anxiety however my limbs have had a constant ache so doc changed me to mirtazapine 15mg . I took half a tablet b4 bedtime last night & slept well but woke up totally zombified. ....I am a carer so can't function feeling like this so wont be taking anymore!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Initially prescribed 15mg after 2 weeks and no improvement dosage upped to 30mg per day with the option to take an additional 15mg for anxiety. Week 1 well to be fair i really didn't know if I was awake or asleep - it was like an out of body experience. I was unable to function whatsoever. Week 2 dropped myself to 2 tablets to try and regain some function and normality this helped for around 1 week. That was when everything then started moodiness anxiety lThese pills have turned my world upside down and now I am an irrational nasty fearfull and genrally unwell person. I'm going to the gp tomorrow to stop these as they are terrible for me."

Kandix123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Diagnosed with depression, S.A.D. and anxiety, all because of my sleep, or lack of. Felt like a zombie everyday and would wake up on average 40 times a night, falling asleep for no longer then an hour then anxious all night and angry knowing I was wide awake. Prescribed mirtazapine 15mg one tablet before bed. It has worked wonders for me, I'm able to go to sleep for about 3 or 4 hours then when i do wake up in not wide awake or angry and can go back to sleep. Granted I only sleep for 20 mins at a time afterwards but I'm calm. It has been 3 months on and im still going OK. Id like to get off them soon so fingers crossed!"

Chris Cap December 4, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking Mirtazapine almost a month ago and its been a wonder drug for me. Needed something for crippling anxiety + panic attacks, depression, chronic insomnia, sleep paralysis,night terrors, self medication with alcohol just to sleep and quell anxiety. Prescribed 15 mg at bed-time. Took 1/4 (3.75 mg) a night for 4 nights, then 1/2 (7.5 mgs) for two nights and then on to 15 mgs. Now I sleep (but can wake up if needed), zero anxiety, no increase in appetite. I've even lost a bit of weight do to no longer drinking alcohol - a small miracle in itself and my libido has returned. I had a terrible reaction to Prozac years ago - anorexia, self harm, mania, no libido, alcohol cravings, intrusive thoughts. So glad my doctor gave me Mirt."

Aussie Chick (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2016