User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Mirtazapine Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Mirtazapine to treat Anxiety

"Was prescribed for anxiet. I don't get anxiety daily but certain situations cause horrible anxiety and panic so doctor thought this might keep me calmer overall to avoid moments of panic. Started on 7.5mg for 6 days. First few days on that felt like I was on a low dose of diazepam. Then felt nothing. Increased to 15mg for three weeks. Noticed I still felt anxious in same situations. Upped to 22.5. Anxiety felt worse. Went back down to 15mg and tapering off it. No withdrawal symptoms lowering dose. Currently on 7.5mg at 5 weeks of being on this. I sleep deeply on it but have very vivid dreams. I've experienced sleep paralysis one night which was scary. Some other horrible dreams too occasionally. Have had increased appetite."

Btcctb (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2017

"god sent for anxiety"

Anonymous July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I think it's gonna help me just got on it yesterday with 1mg xanax "

Texaschic98 (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on this medication for approximately 8 weeks. I felt it did a great job with helping to sleep @ night but I felt more and more anxious and not able to sit still for long. It did help a bit with anxiety attacks but overall I would say this drug was mostly beneficial for sleeping at night."

Allisgood123 July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I found this drug increases appetite rapidly and is very sedating, I do not feel it has worked for depression or anxiety, I am on the maximum dose and take it alongside another anti depressant. I have taken for approx 12 months, I am now reducing with the aim of stopping due to the weight gain and lack of real benefit."

RknR July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I see a lot of negative reviews on here of people who have only just started the medication.. all I can say is that you need to actually be on it for more than 2 weeks to even begin to be able to judge it. I've been on mirtazapine 45mg for about 8 months and I find it to be great an enhancing energy, motivation, creativity and social behaviour. There is no depression anymore whatsoever. The only negative thing is perhaps I am a bit emotionally blunted, but that is a fair trade off."

Ron1234 June 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug helped with insomnia almost immediately. But antidepressant effects seem to be lacking as I feel it really only increases my mood swings. I am usually groggy the next morning which wears off, but it's still a significant factor in the morning. My anxiety is helped a little bit but I still have random panic attacks that seem to be brought on by my moodiness so it's give and take. So far the sleep benefits started to really decrease after the first month but I started taking two a night and I'm sleeping better again but we'll see for how long. I don't feel that my anxiety has been helped very much by this drug but I am mostly calmer due to the sedating nature of the drug. I am scheduled to follow up with my psych about this drug."

klee979 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug did help me sleep, but it did not put a dent in my anxiety one bit. In fact, I had a major panic attack while I was on the drug earlier this year, which I rarely have."

CAL_STUDENT May 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication has been a miracle for me. My anxiety has improved tenfold and it's not near as bad as it was. Most meds have side effects but the improvement in my life outweighs any of them. Although I don't feel any side real effects, I do know my appetite has increased which is good for me and I just try to eat healthy & keep away from junky food. Overall I feel so much better and sleep better too. I felt a little sleepy in the evenings when I first began taking it but this has gone away now and I don't notice anything. I'm feeling so much better."

Friarhemhappy May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Mirtazapine is initially sedating, this gradually reduces over about a month. The sedation rapidly reduces anxiety and improves sleep. After the first month the sedative effect wears off and you may feel the drug has stopped working, it has not! The longer term antidepressant/anxiety benefits take several months to reach maximum benefit. After 3 months most side effects disappear. My biggest side effect is increased appetite, I compensate by exercising more as I love to eat! I started on 15mg dose and increased this to 30mg after a month. Overall 6 months on my anxiety is 80% better than before."

Mohc (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was prescribed this for depressive and anxiety symptoms relating to BPD (borderline personality disorder) And for SAD (social anxiety disorder). Started on 15mg for one month then 45mg. Few months in and so far no effect at all on any symptoms."

Speed292 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I stopped zoloft 2 month ago . Now my anxiety returned with severe insomnia and bouts of depression . Was prescribed remeron. Am scared about trying it .will it help me sleep from day 1 ?"

Anonymous 12345 March 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Taking Mirtazipine 45mgs for anxiety at night get a good nights sleep and no hung over feelings on waking do get a dry mouth but its worth it for the help this drug gives me"

Mirtel (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"These are absolutely horrible! I Literally took one tablet and they've knocked me out for 3 days. I feel like an absolute zombie, can't drive, can barely string a sentence together, and sleeping horribly. They're making me have very weird vivid dreams and I wake up exhausted. I will never ever take these pills again."

Sarahap (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm rating this drug bang in the middle because I do believe it will help some people I took 15mg twice a day only lasted 10 days because of the side effects Pros: Slept instantly every night just after taking So much energy....this did become too much will explain in cons Lift in mood almost straight away No groggy feeling in the morning Cons: The munchies were INSANE I couldn't stop eating sugary foods Increase appetite too extreme I became too 'high' experienced shaking hands and severe twitching Feeling manic and hyperactive became too much So although at first it was a wonder drug for me it quickly became problematic with the side effects. I was prescribed mirtazapine for severe anxiety and depression"

Joeyrose (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was experiencing GAD, major depressive disorder and OCD for about 9 months. Been in and out of hospitals with no real help. Decided to try mirtazipine alone (always took it in addition to an SSRI, never alone). Started with 15 mg but broke it up into three times a day. 7.5 mg in the morning, 3.75 mg at noon, then another 3.75 mg at bedtime). Saved my life. Initially, my anxiety just about disappeared which in turn helped my depression. After about 2 weeks, I started waking up with returning anxiety and depression but am continuing with 15 mg until I see my doctor in 2 weeks. I can't say enough about this med. I'm not able to take normal ADs, mood stabilizers, or benzos as I experience terrible side affects."

Kmert March 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with severe GAD .Doc prescribed me mirtazapine15mg and zolpidem 10mg.in the beginning I was terribily restless and I was having strange dreams."

Ukgamer March 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Diagnosed with GAD and depression about 5 months ago. Had loads of CBT and therapy which helped a bit (thank you BUPA) and 7 weeks on Fluoxetine/Prozac which had loads of side effects & didn't seem to help. Saw a psychiatrist who said stop the fluoxetine which is probably the most mood enhancing AD so good for depression not so much for anxiety and swapped me to 15mg Mitrazapine 4 days ago which he said was far more calming. I slept 8 hours straight the first night, then 9 & 9. Anxiety almost gone & not feeling depressed much. Hopefully this continues, I know it's early days but I'm actually looking forward to tomorrow which is a new feeling for me."

Panicer (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Mirtazapine is a miracle, but you have to take a SMALL dose, meaning about 7.5 mg to 15 mg, no more than that. Larger doses cause too much adrenaline release, so if you gave up on Mirt before, try it again with a pill splitter at a very small dose, just before bedtime. It will help you sleep, and it has virtually the opposite side effects of SSRIs, meaning no sexual side effects, and no anxiety increase (only decrease). I take it for debilitating anxiety just as I described."

Eric2222017 February 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"An update after ca. 1 month on Mirtazapine: Now on 22.5 mg mirt (evening) and still 200 mg of Sertraline (morning). The mirt worked very well to start with, but after 2 weeks my anxiety has come back with a vengeance, and the body screams for benzos (but not getting any). Stopped with diazepam one month ago, so it may still be withdrawal effects? My thoughts about the past and future fuel anxiety and then the anxiety fuels the thoughts and there you go... Ringing in my ears and the same melody playing in my head over and over again, palpations and feeling miserable. Any advice? Not a miracle drug after all?"

FlyingD (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It started out with an abortion- with respect to whatever your opinion may be on that matter, I had my carefully thought out reasons. My boyfriend and I were very literally starving due to lack of money and food. The baby was taking in any nutrients I was getting- I wasn't going to survive the pregnancy. It was an extremely difficult decision and I struggled with it heavily. After the abortion, I continued to lose weight-I am 5ft and weighed 80lbs the nausea continued for another 6 months and I was having regular panick attacks due to the anxiety caused by the abortion. I have been on Mirtazapine for a month now, and the nausea and over all anxiety is nearly eliminated, and I am back to a healthy weight. This drug saved my quality of life."

Little stuff January 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on mirtazapine for about three weeks now as I have GAD, it has worked fine until recently, the last few nights, I was thinking about increasing it to 30mg see if that helps, but doctor mentioned that it works better when taking 15mg ? Any advice would be great thanks in advance"

Fmac1973 January 26, 2017

"The worst"

Hooj (taken for 10 years or more) January 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Very Dry Mouth Strange dreams. Ringing ears ."

Mr Imagine January 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Mirtazipine 30 mgs for several years for anxiety and to help me sleep recently as I suddenly had severe palpatations a new docter prescribed me Sertaline 50 mgs this was terrible it made me even more anxious and I felt really unwell. I am now back on Mirtazapine and beginning to feel well once again never again will I switch to another drug I now have this drug on my repeat prescription list and highly recommend it"

Birdqueen (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 20, 2017