User Reviews for Zoloft

Learn more about Zoloft.

Zoloft Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Reviews for Zoloft to treat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

"I was put on Zoloft for PTSD. I took 25 mg daily for just over 3 months. It really did help my anxiety and allowed me to finish the school year. With Zoloft I have been a lot calmer, and it really helped me with day to day activities. If you just started this medication and are experiencing side effects, hang in there! My first week made me very nauseous and gave me insomnia. The nausea lasted only a week for me. Even though it did wonders for my mental health, it gave me a lot of physical health issues, so I had to stop taking the medication. It caused me to gain a lot of weight in a short amount of time. Furthermore it caused a slight bedwetting issue and very elevated liver enzymes. Good for anxiety, but my body didn't like it."

CrissyGirl59 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After seeing the man who beat and raped me get off with a slap on the wrists I could hardly function. I lived in such a state of constant anxiety and distrust. I really didn't want to live anymore and the only thing that forced me to was my children. This drug was a last resort but it really has helped me manage again and restored some sense of calm. Before I didn't want to leave the house and now I can. I feel like I'm becoming myself again. I'm so glad I stuck with it. It saved my life."

Human Again (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been taking Zoloft for about half a year now on 200mg. I'm not taking it for depression, it's being used in conjunction with other things for rage and anger, hypervigilence, as well as dissociation. I've been pretty lucky with this medication because I experience absolutely zero side effects, in fact I could probably take a higher dose right now although I'd rather stick with the minimum and use coping techniques. I still feel like "me" on Zoloft. In fact I feel more like myself then I have in a long time. I still feel my emotions and everything, although I experience them in a healthy, normal way. I don't experience all of the irrational, exaggerated, awful feelings and sensations I used to, in a good way. I feel normal again."

NoName27 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 19, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm a combat veteran with PTSD. My dose was 25mg daily for 2 weeks, then 50mg daily. I Started out with severe headaches and diarrhea for the first 2 weeks. After that the headaches went away. However, I started vomiting every night and morning. Not just minor vomiting, but exorcist looking vomiting. Sometimes about a gallon. I would fill up my toilet pretty good. The diarrhea never went away. I was constantly dehydrated. After a few months I couldn't take the side effects. Tapering off made my PTSD 1000% worse. I would have been better off not taking it at all. Before you start SSRIs look up other people's horror stories. These things are worse than hardcore illegal drugs."

PackingHeat651 May 9, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have IBS so meds are a problem. I suffer from complicated grief and PTSD as a result of my loss. I finally consulted a psychiatrist because primary care Dr. Not knowledgeable enough. We tried five meds, at least. The best by far was Lexapro but it made the IBSD so bad it became dangerous. Now on 50 mg Zoloft generic after starting with half a 25 my pill and slowly working up. Just had flare of IBS so can't increase another half as Dr. Prescribed until it settles down. At first I thought it was working, not any more. I can't sit still, a foot is always rapidly shaking, even if I wake up during the night. I feel really hopeless and like underneath the drugs effects I'm ready to scream. Have to talk to my psych Dr."

Upstatejmf (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Tinnitus that is constant. Loud all the time and gets louder occasionally. It drives me crazy to the point of wanting to get off zoloft. I ask every Dr I see if anything can be done for tinnitus. Answer is always no. Is it this medication? Anyone with tinnitus will understand. I also have various problems urinating and sexual stuff. Thank you for giving me this forum."

Jeff626 March 7, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was going through absolute hell. Dark days was effecting my Family life and work. The Man inside of me said keep going, but I couldn't. I pulled into the Doctors office contemplating going up stairs to the office (anxiety). I felt weak asking for Male advise from my Male Doc? I told the Doctor about my previous experiences on SSRI's and how they made my mood worse. He prescribed me 50mg of Zoloft and after 5-6 weeks, I was me again. It doesn't feel drug induced, it just kicks your bad thoughts completely. No ill side effects. But thats my story!"

MileHigher Ty (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 25, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Most notable change is my appetite. I've been athletic my whole life, but gained 40 pounds in one year of from compulsive binge eating. I thought I was just being a pig, which perpetuated the horrible cycle of depression and anxiety. Turns out I was just really, really low on seratonin. The cravings / irrational food addiction went completely away at around 75mgs. Now I have to make an effort to eat enough to fuel an active lifestyle. Stress and anxiety and depression subsided gradually. They're not completely gone, but they're manageable now. Combined with a healthy life style and some intense therapy, I'm able to overcome bouts of anxiety and depression, and those bouts are shorter and less severe. A tool, not a magic pill."

Nikiana February 24, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Only day three but the physical stress symptoms are totally gone. To be honest though the physical tremors the weird yawning are rather unnerving but I am sure they will die down. I will comment each week for four weeks to update."

Freaky deeky (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Alright so I've been on 100mg of Zoloft for a while and I'm supposed to start 200mg tomorrow and I'll be honest, it's done absolutely nothing for me personally so far.. I'll be starting Risperidone and coming off this one. I've had no side effects as well as no positive effects what so ever, it's a very weak medication, basically like drinking water. I guess if your symptoms aren't bad at all and you want an easy way out of your problems, then this could be the drug for you. These are the symptoms I experience and trying to medicate: Hypervigilence, jumpiness, sensitivity to sudden noises (like a door slamming shut), only experience emotional ''numbness'' or anger/rage, cloudy mind, disconnection/dissociation/depersonalization, etc."

CMan2792 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 28, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Take this with a grain of salt, only took it once, but that once was enough. Took it at night, few hours later became very restless and only got 3 hours of sleep that night. Next day, it was still there and came with fury. Muscle aches everywhere, body twitches, everything. Had to take 10mg hydro to take the pain away, but still felt it even with that. Never taking it again, that pain was unreal."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I really feel better since taking Zoloft I lost my daughter to cancer in 2007 and it really helps my anxiety about her passing."

Jansjag August 30, 2016

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed this med last spring (over a year ago), I am professionally diagnosed with PTSD, OCD, depression, ovary issues and severe anxiety attacks.. these were diagnosed PRIOR to being on Zoloft. It helps me feel less in need of doing things NOW with my OCD "rituals", my ovary issues are getting better, it does also help with social anxiety for me. I'd like to say and point out, I heard of a lawsuit going on with Pfizer on this med and I'm very upset on that. First off, if your going to become pregnant, ANY doctor should tell you not to be on anything except for prenatal vitamins. It's the doctors getting the money for prescribing the meds, don't let that fool you. If you are nursing, pregnant or want to have a baby, do without!"

Lady Jerrico (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 16, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Didn't do much for me except killed my sexual drive with the wife. After two weeks had to get off it. Works for some but not me."

Glimmer man July 20, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Haven't felt so calm in a very long time. Taking zoloft for anxiety and depression from my ptsd. My racing thoughts and ruminating has slowed down, and I slept last night for the first time in 6 months with no sleeping pills . Actually feels weird to feel so good!!"

Dragonbornv (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2016

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I found out I have PTSD, Social Anxiety Disorder and general Anxiety Disorder. I was putting myself in a bubble and would curl up in a ball just to escape. I quit a job I loved because of the stress, I quit going to to the grocery store and other public places because the anxiety was too much. Ithe was effecting my relationships and I was in a bad place where I thought that was what life was about. After being diagnosed, I was given Zoloft. I looked at my phsycharist like he was crazy. Like this one pill a day would really have the effect of fixing me. I have taken it religiously, every day as prescribed. After 4 weeks I want to cry. I was missing so much, and haven't felt this good on years. I have my life back. Thank you zoloft"

Brookelookbook (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2016

57 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Yo so I was prescribed Zoloft for Depression, Adult Major Depressive Disorder, and PTSD. It has only been a couple months so maybe I'm not one to judge yet. I guess I feel okay. Like I feel less extremely depressed, I'm still a sad girl tho, and honestly I feel like I could stop and feel pretty much the same. Although withdrawals are a bitch. There have been weekends where I have left my pills somewhere or not gotten a re-up from my doc and believe me my boyfriend, friends, and fam can all tell something is up when i'm not on my meds. I'm just quicker to react to shit and not really okay and feel kinda insane. I'm getting off Zoloft now. I wouldn't say it was bad I just need more help. I didn't feel motivated to do anything ever. soo... :/ yah"

turbur (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had a car accident 2013 Nov ..,concossion, ptsd , etc . and finally the best treatment is zolof ☺I feel better, ,,no panic attacks anymore and nausea almost gone, ,and frustration almost gone"

nani123 November 23, 2015

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am not actually a soldier (see user name) but due to childhood trauma (diagnosed with PTSD as a result) I have felt like I am always fighting a war just to get through the day. I had fight or flight response to stimuli that are just normal everyday mild stressors for most people and have had so much trouble making relationships work because of self doubt, guilt, feelings of unworthiness, etc. I have been on zoloft for 3 months now, at first 25mg and then starting 4 weeks ago 50mg. My life has changed profoundly. I can be in love without being overwhelmed by self doubt. My depression and anxiety have lessened tremendously. For me, zoloft is a miracle."

unknownsoldier November 16, 2015

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"As someone that HATES crowds & dealing with people in general, Zoloft seems to be helping. I have also tried Lexapro, which caused horrible weight gain & total numbness when it came to feelings. Zoloft has been doing the opposite...my appetite is pretty much non-existent. So far, I wouldn't say I'm having any major side effects & im overall happy with everything."

Cali Antionette (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2015

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on this for 2.5 weeks. I was on a 50mg dosage and I don't know if it was too much for my body (I weigh under 110) but the severity of my panic and anxiety worsened. At first it made have insomnia and then after a week it was the complete opposite - uncontrollably falling asleep immediately about 30 minutes after taking the dose and it became incredibly hard to wake up in the morning. It would feel like lifting 400 lbs to make my legs move in the morning and I would still feel tired after 14 hours of sleep. My fearful thoughts became worse and completely clouded my head, and I had this overwhelming feeling of impending doom resulting in panic attacks. Also loss of appetite from a combination of the extreme dry/cracked mouth and nausea."

This wasn't for me... (taken for less than 1 month) October 25, 2015

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I suffer from PTSD and Panic Disorder. I have given Zoloft a good 3 months. I started at 25mg and worked up to 150mg. Although it did seem like it took the edge off my suffering temporarily, my body seemed to be fighting the medication the whole time. At 50mg I suffered panic attacks that were much more severe than the ones I had prior to the medication. I found some tranquility at 100mg for a week, then my PCP put me at 150mg to see if things improved. They did not improve. I experienced increased agitation, tremors, shaking like my body was in fear, yet I was not, sweating, then hot flashes. My blood pressure skyrocketed. My PCP referred me to a psychiatrist who put me back at 100mg. Symptoms subsided, but after a week it became clear my body was rejecting the medication altogether. Yesterday I was on Zoloft, having hot flashes, sweating, severe panic attacks, racing heartbeat, and high blood pressure. Today, I am on 10mg of Lexapro and my blood pressure is fantastic. I have not had a panic attack all day. Sure, it's only been a day and my body may react differently after taking it for awhile, but it has been a welcome change from the Zoloft. I wished I had asked for a change sooner, but I have never been on antidepressants before."

Not as crazy as the meds make (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 26, 2015

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"So glad I decided to try Zoloft after suffering with depression and anxiety after my husbands passing. I am calmer and feel somewhat happy. I'm on 50mg There's no need to suffer everyday. Life doesn't have to be so painful Do yourself a favor and try it. It might just take some of that pain away. It's definitely worth a try"

Mbfl (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2015

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"When I find I'm very angry it gives me time to pause and the ability to shake the bad mood I'd normally have afterwards. I rarely experience unjustified sadness, yet when something sad happens I still feel sad. I think it just gives me some breathing room to sort things out."

Tiffany B. (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 20, 2015

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"i am a Desert Storm veteran and for years i have suffered at the hands of depacote, lithium and wellbutrin (one after the other) and i just felt more and more miserable and doomed. then my doctor prescribed zoloft 2 years ago and it literally saved my life. now i am able to function normally and am really enjoying my life for the first time in 2 decades. it is my life saver and has changed my life forever. before zoloft i felt so depressed and hopeless. thank you, you have given me my joy in life back!"

timberon mellie (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 25, 2015