User Reviews for Zoloft to treat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Zoloft Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Reviews for Zoloft

Concerned Human · Taken for less than 1 month September 19, 2020

“Never felt worse in my entire life. Within the first couple hours after taking Zoloft for the first time I passed out, was vomiting, had cold sweats, hot flashes, headache, and extreme fatigue. Two days after I stopped taking it I still have no appetite and zero energy. I would describe it as the worst I ever felt in my life and I’ve had mono before.”

30something fem · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 19, 2020

“I have been taking this medication for 6 years. The first 11 days were very uncomfortable but I am so glad I stick thru it. Onset symptoms were heightened alertness, dry mouth, not hungry. First, I noticed it took away my general anxiety, then OCD, then the intruding, racing morbid thoughts. My dose is up from 150 to 200 for a week per month due to PMDD. Now, I've been feeling like it's working less, we've tried to add on different things. Remeron has probably been the best add on I have found during bad phases. 5mg diazepam is also always with me as needed. Hope you all get the relief you are looking for.”

Brad · Taken for less than 1 month May 11, 2020

“I started taking Zoloft at 25mg for my anxiety and PTSD caused by a bad reaction to some NyQuil I took a while back. At first, when I started taking it, I was okay but still was having trouble. At about 1-2 weeks on it I always felt like my face was melting and could not think ahead. I was in panic mode 24/7, but I could sleep even though when I woke up it didn’t feel like I did. I would wake up, cry, go to school, cry, get on the bus, cry, get home... cry all night until I fell asleep. I was not depressed before I started taking it but I was during. I had extreme thoughts of suicide. I also could not climax or when I got close it felt like I was going to pass out. I have heard that the medication equals out after about 3 weeks but I couldn’t stand it to happen anymore.”

Eismin · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 26, 2020

“My PTSD symptoms got way worse while on Zoloft. I felt far more anxious on this than before, and paired with Abilify it made my life a living nightmare”

VP April 25, 2020

“Started taking Zoloft on September 8. The first month was very tired with headaches. October: headaches and no appetite that persisted until third month. Had some hair loss and diarrhea for a month or so in December. Then I had nausea and bad brain zaps around February 9. That was when I was fully off for a week. Jan: I was taking half dosage whole month. Now it’s April and I still have a few dull brain zaps when I’m really tired or if I cried. Plus the sexual side effects did not go away. Decreased libido and I don’t feel horney anymore. There’s literally not the same feeling as before I started taking the medication. Not as much natural lubrication either. The doctor that gave this to me told me nothing about but gave me a print out. Always ask what medications that your doctor is supposed to be upselling before accepting ANY. ALWAYS look at the warnings. Sadly this did not work and it’s taking me a long time to try to get back to a normal libido and mind again.”

stormy · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 23, 2020

“Zoloft made me feel completely disconnected from my surroundings - numb. I told my doctor I felt as though someone could commit some awful assault on another person and I would stand there emotionless and then walk away. I wanted to not have the hyper alertness connected with the PTSD but this was way to far to the opposite end of the scale.”

H · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 11, 2020

“Very good experience. Definitely feel a lot lighter. I have been taking Zoloft for about six weeks now and I have seen a significant change within myself. I have definitely been more productive, motivated to take on the day, and I have been taking better care of myself.”

Nikki j · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 28, 2019

“After suffering years from watching my husband and son die next to me in a car wreck. I have finally after 3 years been able to date and move past my life altering tragedy. Although Zoloft is not a cure all it blocks the horrible images. If clears your mind and gives you a positive boost. I'm not sure where I would be without it. 100mg day has been most effective.”

Windy November 9, 2019

“I was diagnosed with PTSD 8 years ago. It has been a journey figuring out what works and what does not. You hope there is one answer to fix the torment you know as life. There is hope because there is an answer, it takes a bit of searching to find your personal “recipe”. I tried Zoloft and was on it for a year, I had some side effects. Looking back I had made many friends, I was traveling, working out, I was in shape, eating healthy and hiking. It was the best time of my life and I didn’t know why. I met my husband and just had our third child 3 weeks ago and have been back on Zoloft for 3 weeks. All my fear and anxiety is considerably less, I’m more talkative, patient and am less tempted to lash out. I don’t feel as happy or as sad it puts me in the middle. I am also starting EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) therapy soon been seeing a therapist as well. I think it’s important to note I have anxiety and Zoloft works wonders for me, it doesn’t help me with depression.”

???? · Taken for less than 1 month October 29, 2019

“The worst experience I've ever had Zoloft made me so sick it was unbelievable. I had gastric disturbances, headaches, severe ringing in the ears. I was only one tablet from 25mg to 50mg and I became so sick had weird dreams had to come off the medication. I had hair loss chunks of hair loss, vivid weird extremely strange dreams. With all the other reviews that I've seen on it why was I losing my hair? Wh did I have every adverse effect and my symptoms got worse, there was no benefit to this drug for me only sickness and the worst dream experiences and again why were chunks of hair coming out of my head? I will never take it again do not suggest anyone to take it especially since I'm the size of a child but once again the prescriber only saw my age size needs to be taken into consideration when it comes to this drug just like every other drug ”

KM · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 27, 2019

“I have PTSD and concomitant major depressive disorder from being a paramedic. My Dr. prescribed sertraline, starting off with a 50mg dose. No noticeable difference. My dose was increased to 100mg which worked well enough for a while. Decreased intrusive thoughts/images, almost no olfactory flashbacks, no panic attacks. However, like most other people, my libido was completely wiped out, insomnia hit me hard AND I became incredibly paranoid, believing my husband of 23 years was cheating on me (he wasn't and has never). Unfortunately, it seems that my body has adapted to it and my symptoms are coming back. I would say for me, it's an okay short term drug (6-12 months) but definitely not a long term solution. Other than that, there were no contrainteractions with my other medications (ivaberadine, propranolol, flecanaide, celebrex, aspirin, diazepam, paracetamol SR).”

amhnh September 26, 2019

“I had been on and off lexapro for years for generalized anxiety disorder. I had weaned off of it when I became pregnant with my 2nd child. 3 weeks after giving birth to her, she was hospitalized for viral meningitis for 3 weeks. I never left her side and the experience scarred me. My fear of germs/sickness was always with me. I even had panic attacks driving into same city where hospital stay was. I had started back on lexapro but it made me so tired so I ended up stopping again ( no one needs to feel extra tired with a toddler and newborn!) My beloved PCP convinced me to try 50 mg Zoloft. At first I took it at night (because that’s when I took my lexapro) but I would wake up middle of night, wide awake with nervous/anxious/can’t turn brain off feeling. I switched to taking it in the morning and have never felt better! She upped my dosage to 75 mg and I feel like I am ME again. Not some paranoid mom that freaks out over any sniffle, cough, sneeze, etc. my children may get.”

De · Taken for less than 1 month September 2, 2019

“I shared yesterday on here what I've been going through on zoloft. Well, I just flushed them all down the toilet. I woke up with anxiety so bad all I could do was cry. This drug is gone out of my life. I will take the depression over this.”

De · Taken for less than 1 month September 1, 2019

“I'm on day 5 of taking Zoloft. I have been sober for 8 months and recently diagnosed with PTSD for trauma that happened in my childhood. 4 months ago, my brother, who I loved deeply, committed suicide and it sent me spiralling into insufferable anxiety and depression. I have not been able to work my social anxiety is so bad and I am constantly afraid I'm going to die, especially at night when its time to go to sleep. Driving gives me panic attacks, my throat closed and my heart beats so hard and fast and I can't speak or breath right. So far, the medicine has not changed anything. In fact, my anxiety is way worse, I constantly have a knot in my chest, elevated heartbeat and tight throat. The nausea is debilitating, I've been in bed most of these 5 days. I am starting to lose all hope, I was really hoping an antidepressant would help me.”

Need a vacation25 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 25, 2019

“I've been on zoloft for anxiety/depression and panic attacks for a few months. It doesn't help much with panic attacks. I'm on highest dose of sertaline will be talking to dr about changing meds.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 19, 2019

“I am on Zoloft 75 mg and it has really helped me with my PTSD and PTSD related sleep disturbance. It takes the edge off so I’m not in a state of flight/ fight. It helps regulate my emotions. It doesn’t alter me too much at all besides making me happier and more balanced. Things that used to seriously stress me out don’t seem to bother me as much anymore. Only downside is it really affects libido”

Bird · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 10, 2019

“Not to freak anyone out but I have had a nightmare experience on Zoloft for 8 weeks. I was on another medication that was okay but not great. Instead of asking my doctor if I should just go up I requested a new medication. I started feeling bad about two weeks into it. My doctor who I love and respect told me to go up about every week. So at 8 weeks I am a freakin mess. Abdominal pain of unbearable proportions. Anxiety of the charts with all the lovely side effect. Tomorrow I start fresh. For anyone other starting a new med watch how it effects you. If it feels wrong have a good rapport with your dr or therapist. Give them all the information if it feels real bad then don’t mince words tell them. I will get better hopefully sooner rather than later. You will too. You are strong and you are special. God created you that way. Love yourself and don’t listen to any negative talk even from the most well intentioned. Good look and God Bless”

Cindy · Taken for less than 1 month May 1, 2019

“This is my second day taking the pill of 25mg. Today I felt normal for once. I was motivated to get ready, walk my dog, laugh. I honestly thought I could live with depression. I’ve tried taking this medicine before but gave up on the second day because it made me feel numb. Today is a promise to push through. I’m done feeling depressed. I’m ready to rule the world. I feel fantastic. From a girl who was diagnosed with depression at 16, PTSD at 32 (no meds) until today. You got this!”

Bmar93 · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 23, 2019

“I have had bad episodes of PTSD from a young age and onwards, I would not understand these feelings and had severe bulimia. I couldn’t trust medication. At age 18 I was prescribed 25mg and didn’t feel much difference so I never felt like I wanted to take it. Then I began group therapy where my therapist now prescribed me 100mg I feel so much relief at 100mg. Life feels so much easier. I feel happy now! I’m so glad that I no longer dread each day. I can’t believe how much great things have happened ever since that changed. I know in the past I was a living nightmare for myself with PTSD now with a good dose of zoloft life is good - it works.”

Anonymous January 16, 2019

“I spent a lot of time reading this forum while I was waiting for my medication to work, and I promised myself that I would share my experience once it worked. So here's my story: I was a victim of sextortion 4 years ago. After denying/questioning it for at least a year, I have finally admitted to myself that I have Post Traumatic Stress from this. I would experience intrusive thoughts/memories of the event, every day, all day. I felt depressed for the majority of the day, my anxiety got worse, I didn't think I'd ever get better. I was prescribed Zoloft back in December. I started out with 25mg, and worked my way up to 100mg, which happens to be the effective dose for me. Since being on the medication, I haven't been experiencing the intrusive thoughts/memories nearly as much, and when I do have memories, I don't feel so much shame. My moods have drastically improved overall. I can finally say "I'm fine" and mean it! About a month ago, I never would've thought it to be possible.”

Survivor · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 12, 2018

“After being sexually abused, stalked, and threatened with death, torture and gang rape by my ex boyfriend, I developed PTSD. Every day felt like a waking nightmare, until I finally ended up in a hospital ER because I was suicidal. They prescribed me Zoloft, and I tried different dosages but the most effective for me has been 200mg. This drug has saved my life. I do not experience the same panic attacks and extreme anxiety/ depression and hopelessness that I did before. I highly recommend giving this a try if you have PTSD. It has worked a miracle on me.”

mraeced · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 25, 2018

“I started taking this only as a last resort medication because the reviews scared me. I halved my 50 mg into 25 mg, gave it a few weeks & before I knew what it felt like and I was making progress more than I was in 2/3 months. This medicine picked me up out of my depression & panic but after a while it felt like I was back to being stable, just negative to myself. I talked to my doctor & she recommended I stop taking to medication bc I was on the lowest dose with bad thoughts, it wasn’t for me. I haven’t taken it since. Just my .25 mg xanax for when I have a panic attack & I’ve been doing pretty good. I'm still getting back to my calm & “normal” routine. I wouldn't take it if thinking about getting pregnant”

It saved me · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 19, 2018

“Zoloft got me through so much trauma over the past 6 months that I didn’t think was possible! Basically, this medicine saved my life. It has given me the ability to function. Stick with it!”

Wild · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 3, 2018

“I've had PTSD since childhood. Outbursts of rage plagued me throughout most of my life. Lost a lot of jobs because of PTSD. Have been on Zoloft -50 mg for 4 months. Outbursts of rage have stopped. Big improvement for me. The downside of Zoloft for me is the loss of sex drive. I can live with it, since the absence of moments of rage is such a big improvement for me. When I first got on Zoloft, I had periods of drowsiness, but those have become less frequent. All in all, Zoloft has improved my life considerably. Too bad I can't go back to apologize to all the people who had to endure my past outbursts.”

CMan27 · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 14, 2018

“I've been taking Zoloft 200mg every day for about 1.5 years now. I was lucky because I've never had any real side effects from it and I jumped up 50 mg at a time pretty quickly. It took at least 2 months for me to notice any changes in my unstable mood. Recently unfortunately it feels as though Zoloft has lost it's effectiveness and I'm feeling pretty awful again. I don't feel depressed, I just feel unbelievable anxiety, paranoia, stress, rage, disconnection from reality, etc. which is why I was taking it, although the stuff is like water for me, it barely does anything, although initially it helped take the edge off a little bit. Everyone's different so you'll react differently, there's no way of knowing unless you try it.”

Learn more about Post Traumatic Stress Disorder