User Reviews for Zoloft

Learn more about Zoloft.

Zoloft Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Reviews for Zoloft to treat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

"Didn't do much for me except killed my sexual drive with the wife. After two weeks had to get off it. Works for some but not me."

Glimmer man July 20, 2016

"Haven't felt so calm in a very long time. Taking zoloft for anxiety and depression from my ptsd. My racing thoughts and ruminating has slowed down, and I slept last night for the first time in 6 months with no sleeping pills . Actually feels weird to feel so good!!"

Dragonbornv (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2016

"I found out I have PTSD, Social Anxiety Disorder and general Anxiety Disorder. I was putting myself in a bubble and would curl up in a ball just to escape. I quit a job I loved because of the stress, I quit going to to the grocery store and other public places because the anxiety was too much. Ithe was effecting my relationships and I was in a bad place where I thought that was what life was about. After being diagnosed, I was given Zoloft. I looked at my phsycharist like he was crazy. Like this one pill a day would really have the effect of fixing me. I have taken it religiously, every day as prescribed. After 4 weeks I want to cry. I was missing so much, and haven't felt this good on years. I have my life back. Thank you zoloft"

Brookelookbook (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2016

"Yo so I was prescribed Zoloft for Depression, Adult Major Depressive Disorder, and PTSD. It has only been a couple months so maybe I'm not one to judge yet. I guess I feel okay. Like I feel less extremely depressed, I'm still a sad girl tho, and honestly I feel like I could stop and feel pretty much the same. Although withdrawals are a bitch. There have been weekends where I have left my pills somewhere or not gotten a re-up from my doc and believe me my boyfriend, friends, and fam can all tell something is up when i'm not on my meds. I'm just quicker to react to shit and not really okay and feel kinda insane. I'm getting off Zoloft now. I wouldn't say it was bad I just need more help. I didn't feel motivated to do anything ever. soo... :/ yah"

turbur (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2016

"I had a car accident 2013 Nov ..,concossion, ptsd , etc . and finally the best treatment is zolof ☺I feel better, ,,no panic attacks anymore and nausea almost gone, ,and frustration almost gone"

nani123 November 23, 2015

"I am not actually a soldier (see user name) but due to childhood trauma (diagnosed with PTSD as a result) I have felt like I am always fighting a war just to get through the day. I had fight or flight response to stimuli that are just normal everyday mild stressors for most people and have had so much trouble making relationships work because of self doubt, guilt, feelings of unworthiness, etc. I have been on zoloft for 3 months now, at first 25mg and then starting 4 weeks ago 50mg. My life has changed profoundly. I can be in love without being overwhelmed by self doubt. My depression and anxiety have lessened tremendously. For me, zoloft is a miracle."

unknownsoldier November 16, 2015

"As someone that HATES crowds & dealing with people in general, Zoloft seems to be helping. I have also tried Lexapro, which caused horrible weight gain & total numbness when it came to feelings. Zoloft has been doing the opposite...my appetite is pretty much non-existent. So far, I wouldn't say I'm having any major side effects & im overall happy with everything."

Cali Antionette (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2015

"I was on this for 2.5 weeks. I was on a 50mg dosage and I don't know if it was too much for my body (I weigh under 110) but the severity of my panic and anxiety worsened. At first it made have insomnia and then after a week it was the complete opposite - uncontrollably falling asleep immediately about 30 minutes after taking the dose and it became incredibly hard to wake up in the morning. It would feel like lifting 400 lbs to make my legs move in the morning and I would still feel tired after 14 hours of sleep. My fearful thoughts became worse and completely clouded my head, and I had this overwhelming feeling of impending doom resulting in panic attacks. Also loss of appetite from a combination of the extreme dry/cracked mouth and nausea."

This wasn't for me... (taken for less than 1 month) October 25, 2015

"I suffer from PTSD and Panic Disorder. I have given Zoloft a good 3 months. I started at 25mg and worked up to 150mg. Although it did seem like it took the edge off my suffering temporarily, my body seemed to be fighting the medication the whole time. At 50mg I suffered panic attacks that were much more severe than the ones I had prior to the medication. I found some tranquility at 100mg for a week, then my PCP put me at 150mg to see if things improved. They did not improve. I experienced increased agitation, tremors, shaking like my body was in fear, yet I was not, sweating, then hot flashes. My blood pressure skyrocketed. My PCP referred me to a psychiatrist who put me back at 100mg. Symptoms subsided, but after a week it became clear my body was rejecting the medication altogether. Yesterday I was on Zoloft, having hot flashes, sweating, severe panic attacks, racing heartbeat, and high blood pressure. Today, I am on 10mg of Lexapro and my blood pressure is fantastic. I have not had a panic attack all day. Sure, it's only been a day and my body may react differently after taking it for awhile, but it has been a welcome change from the Zoloft. I wished I had asked for a change sooner, but I have never been on antidepressants before."

Not as crazy as the meds make (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 26, 2015

"So glad I decided to try Zoloft after suffering with depression and anxiety after my husbands passing. I am calmer and feel somewhat happy. I'm on 50mg There's no need to suffer everyday. Life doesn't have to be so painful Do yourself a favor and try it. It might just take some of that pain away. It's definitely worth a try"

Mbfl (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2015

"When I find I'm very angry it gives me time to pause and the ability to shake the bad mood I'd normally have afterwards. I rarely experience unjustified sadness, yet when something sad happens I still feel sad. I think it just gives me some breathing room to sort things out."

Tiffany B. (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 20, 2015

"i am a Desert Storm veteran and for years i have suffered at the hands of depacote, lithium and wellbutrin (one after the other) and i just felt more and more miserable and doomed. then my doctor prescribed zoloft 2 years ago and it literally saved my life. now i am able to function normally and am really enjoying my life for the first time in 2 decades. it is my life saver and has changed my life forever. before zoloft i felt so depressed and hopeless. thank you, you have given me my joy in life back!"

timberon mellie (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 25, 2015

"I've been battling ptsd since a kid. I tried celexa for two months and it didn't do anything so I quit taking it, 6 years later I went to a different Dr who prescribed me Zoloft. Started with 50mg for two months and bumped up to 100mg. It does take a few to get use to but the side effects go away with a week or two. This drug it's not drowsy, and actually works. I'm talking more, coming out of my shell. Laughing. Doing stuff again. All I can say give it a chance I say two months, off not working talk to Dr and try something else..I have tried something else...and this is working great so far. The heavy weight that held mange captive in my depression was lifted within the first two weeks. Two thumbs up so far. And affordable, I get generic"

h0rhay March 19, 2015

"I have been taking Zoloft since September 2014, I was diagnosed with PTSD and started on 50mg and during the first month I had a slight reduction in my anxiety and general mood, but the flashbacks continued. My dose was increased to 100mg and I felt better with mild anxiety and no emotions, I can be happy but not sad, Anxiety continued and some flashbacks, my doctor increased my dose to 150mg and I have been well for the last couple of months until last week when a combination of work and family issues pushed me over the edge once again, I had weekly psychologist visits for the first two months, Started today on 200mg daily. I think zoloft works very well for me but my Trauma plays out in my dreams most nights,"

Tosegue (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2015

"I have been taking Zoloft for just over 2 years for Post traumatic stress disorder and depression. At my worst I was on 150mg and this held me quite well, I was determined not to be on the full 200mg. Initially the shakes and the tiredness bothered me, but not as much as how I felt when I missed a dose. On every increase I would have a day or two where my mind and mouth raced. This provided a few giggles. A huge improvement from crying and refusing to leave the house. Combining therapy and medication has helped me get my life back. I am now on the decrease as the masses of weight I have put on in a short period of time, my least favourite side effect, regardless of how much I exercise and how good my diet is. Just keeps adding on. Now 50mg daily and doing well."

cam2549 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 13, 2014

"I started taking it after my husband passed away; he had a cardiac problem and I tried to unsuccessfully help him. I did call the emergency services, they tried but were unable to help him. After that I could not get thoughts about the incident out of my mind and I lost in excess of 50lbs the next month. I was given Zoloft by my doctor which did interrupt my 'panic', however I only took the medicine for less than one month as I couldn't think properly. I rely on my mind, my thoughts to process how I relate to the 'world' - I decided that being sad about the situation was appropriate and a normal response. In the eighteen years since then I have not needed medication for depression - other things yes, but not mood disorders. Thank you."

MDASS October 5, 2014

"I suffer with post traumatic stress disorder from years of trauma and then the death of my mother really was the icing on the cake. I've also been dealing with physical ailments in the past 7 years, and panic attacks since I could remember. With all this going on, it's no wonder that I've became depressed and anxious about life. I am not the type of person who believes in medication without trying alternatives first. In the past I've tried other antidepressants to no avail. Was off of them for a year, but decided to go back on, trying Zoloft this time, when I became suicidal. That was the LAST straw. Been on 50mg for about a month, but started on 25mg a month prior. It LITERALLY saved my life. Don't give up! What one medication won't do for you another will."

Angelalove (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2014

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"After 1 month of losing my girlfriend and her mom in a horrible head on collision and balling my eyes out everyday feeling sooo lost i needed help!! Doctor put me on Zoloft 50mg for the first week to up it to 100mg thereafter... im on day 4 & feel much better already not thinking so much of my loss. The only sides ive felt are slight headache & slight nausea but now i have put down the box of kleenex from crying soooo much & can relax better ...im going to continue to take it cuz the thinking of my loss constantly was nothing less than the worst time of my life ."

Rippedinhalf (taken for less than 1 month) October 28, 2013

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My husband died tragically. The grief of losing him was compounded by the events surrounding the suicide. I was overwhelmed with sorrow and despair. Was sobbing throughout the day, felt hopeless. Counselor and doctor felt I was suffering from post traumatic stress disorder. It's a miracle for me. Somehow it helps me bypass those debilitating thoughts. My mind doesn't go there unless I choose to. My feelings were like quicksand, pulling and keeping me down. I have periods of sadness over the loss but they are much less frequent and shorter duration. I thank God for it."

IrishToo October 7, 2013

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking Zoloft for about 6 years for depression. Coincidentally, I also have had post traumatic stress disorder for about 8 years due to a severe medical emergency (53 days in hospital, surgeries, etc.). I have not had any post traumatic stress disorder episodes in months, thought I was better. I just went off the Zoloft (WoHoo!), but just had a TERRIBLE PTSD episode. I had no idea Zoloft was helping with PTSD. I can't afford to have crying/screaming bouts while sitting at my desk. Back on Zoloft I go."

HappyPatty (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 15, 2013

"I am a vet with post traumatic stress disorder. My dr. Just put me on 25mg sertraline. My first night of taking the pill I could not sleep. I'll have to wait and see any other effects."

JONES R JR April 9, 2013

"I suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, panic attack, aggression, paranoia. I started with Sertraline a few month ago 100mg. Before that I used Citalopram for a year 30mg which caused head pressure so I wanted to stop with it. 100mg Sertraline made me and zombie like, low concentration so after two months I lowered it to 50mg day. My aggression came back but I had more concentration and willing to get out of the house. At one stage I felt like this medicines is not helping so I decided to quit and I began to take 1/3 of the 100mg tablet a day (approx 35mg). I've read that one is never to go cold turkey with SSRI's (side effects). My paranoia came back with vengeance! So I went back to 50mg and paranoia went away. I think I will try 100mg again."

Che Guebuddha (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2013

"I first used Zoloft in 1999 for post traumatic stress disorder. At that time I was on 50mg, it allowed me to function very well. Now I am being treated for Major Depression, Anxiety, and PTSD. I started 50 mg 7 days ago, today I am to up my dose to 100 mg. The only side effect I have noticed is tiredness so far. The one benefit is I have not cried everyday which is a triumph as I had been doing that on a daily basis several times per day. Still am anxious about large crowds and overly watchful of my surroundings. I will post again after my check up with my progress the end of February. Good luck to you and I wish you recovery, we all need that."

cynthnrth (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2013

"Has lowered general anxiety while not eliminating panic attacks. Love this medication and would not like to try any other."

landview12 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 11, 2013

"I have been on this medicine for 3 month for my PTSD and I find it has helped somewhat, I can think straight, calm, centered. It's wonderful in combination with Lyrica for my GAD in which I'm in the-4% that gets euphoria from it."

poppyjuice (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2012