User Reviews for Zoloft

Learn more about Zoloft.

Zoloft Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 37 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Zoloft to treat Panic Disorder

"Started on 25mgs and had a tough first week with all the side effects. My doctor told me to stay on it for 2-3 more weeks and I did - and I must say, it have effected my life for the better cause. Went up to 50mg and have been on that dose for a while. Works great and feel that it is easier to do things now than before. Think it is important to say that there are no wonders drugs for anxiety. You are the key to deal with it - not the medicine. I still recommend Zoloft for those struggling with panic attacks."

AAvsQQ July 23, 2016

"I started taking Sertaline last july for panic and anxiety and also for severe pms, it was my last option, and the best decision I could have made, the first few weeks a was very nervous. I woulnt say it increased the anxiety much a was just so scared to take them, I was prescribed 50mg, I decided a would half them so I done that for the first month, so I didn't get any side effect of the meddication, I am still on them now, and feel I will stop on them alot longer as it been the first time in four year that I been happy and ablw to live a normal life, its totally the right desion, if your prescibed somwthing take it, dont let the anxiety take over, I undestand its scary your first one, but it the only way u will get better.. good luck"

Melaniels19892016 July 21, 2016

"Went to a therapist who suggested Xanax and the doctor refused to do that and gave me Zoloft so I gave it a shot. First week was hell, was falling asleep sitting up which I had never done before. I was tired, sick feeling, and dizzy among other side effects. Once these subsided my panic attacks stopped, however I was sleeping 20 hours at a time, waking up then four hours later going back to sleep another 20 hours. I did notice I became better in social situations yet I lost interest in things I enjoyed doing and left the house even less than before. I have been diagnosed with GAD, panic disorder, agoraphobia, social anxiety, major depression, dermatillomania, and trichtotillomania. Not worth the negatives to fix only a few of these."

Peekasaurus (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 11, 2016

"I was on Zoloft for Depression, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and Panic Disorder. Initially, Zoloft helped me a lot and I didn't have any kind of panic attacks, a constant sense of mild anxiety, or depression all that bad. However, after about a year of being on it it started to make me feel like a complete zombie. I had zero motivation for anything which reflected in my grades and I'm normally an obsessive overachiever in school.. I just kind of let myself go. I wasn't depressed but I wasn't happy, it just put me in this fog-like feeling. The withdraw for me felt like I might as well have been coming off heroin. I couldn't eat or sleep, I had cold sweats, nausea/vomiting, and I had anxiety like never before. It was truly a nightmare."

Anonymous July 9, 2016

"I had anxiety and panic attacks for about 3 years, I finally said enough was enough when I promised after another panic attack im going straight to the doctor and I did. And im glad I did, this drug makes anxiety come all the way down to a manageable level It takes about 2 months from my experience to work, iv been on 50mg for 5 months and I should increase my dose for the remaining anxiety but there's a reason I wont. The drugs sexual side effects are bad it lowers overall sex drive and makes it hard to climax very annoying.Thats the main reason I want to get off them as well as dislike of long term medication. For someone who is looking to try the drug but maybe apprehensive Dont be scared to try this medication dont live in anxiety hell"

akan July 8, 2016

"I am women 45 and suffer of general anxiety and panic attacs voor 25 jears. I took Zoloft already tree times in my life and it helped me every time. But every time I stopped my sympthomes turned back. I am taking Zoloft again voor 5 weeks and for the first time I have very bad side effects like naussea more panic bad sleeping...even after 5 weeks. I still hope it will help like other times but it is weard and I am worrying it will not work. I had some good days but genarally it is not going well at this moment. I also tried other AD in the past and nothing helped me like Zoloft. I was always at 50mg and it was enough. Maybe I have to take more or wait longer. I gave it 10 because of his working in the past. Anybody same experience?"

diana1971 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2016

"I started this only 25mg been on it 23 days and have had episodes of anxiety sitting at home some days. But my bp goes up when I have an attack. Anyone else have this happen and when I'm relaxed my pulse rate is around 69-70 but when I'm not its around 99-115. Dr wants me to stay on it this dose another 30 days as I'm sensitive to meds I also take Valium for meiner's but it's never helped my anxiety."

Aj1970 June 17, 2016

"I had 2 miscarriages within six months of each other. After the 2nd, my anxiety was non-stop. I started having panic attacks. I tried paxil and Celexa which helped a little, but didn't take the anxiety away. I finally started zoloft a few months ago and at first I was zombie-like, and could barely stay awake, but my Dr encouraged me to give it 4 weeks. I did, and I am really happy that I toughed it out. I haven't been this calm since before my miscarriages. I am finally feeling relaxed and relief. The only negative effect I am having is teeth grinding/clenching but I had that on the other drugs as well. I am no longer exhausted, I feel normal again."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 23, 2016

"I suffered panic attacks for 12 years from 1989 to 2001, almost every night. I switched doctors and he put me on Zoloft. I have been on it ever since, up to 150mg per day, and have suffered no side effects. It has been a life saver."

relenta3 (taken for 10 years or more) May 18, 2016

"I do not take this for depression whatsoever. It is prescribed to me to prevent fainting (vaso vagul syncope). It works wonders. I am 45 years old and take a small 25mg/pediatric dose. Have been taking it for several years and have not fainted since starting it."

Michigan Mamma May 17, 2016

"Well I've been taking Zoloft for anxiety and panic attacks 50mg for 7 weeks now and it does work for panic and anxiety I havnt had an attack and my anxiety levels are pretty much low as can be, my mind feels clearer and I feel more relaxed and able to concentrate on things again, the only down side to taking this that I have felt is being tired a bit and being a bit lethargic and less motivation to do anything, also had very vivid dreams but they can be good so that's not a bad thing to deal with, looking to go back to see if I can lower the dose of possible to help with the feeling of lethargic/less energy but it does what it says it's stops panic and anxiety of you stick with it, I can relax again!"

Shaun griffiths May 4, 2016

"I took Zoloft for anxiety and panic attacks. It worked the first day! Only downside of this is I felt tired and zombie like. But it definitely helps."

LeaC21 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2016

"Zoloft has helped me tremendously! I am going on week 6. I kept going on the Internet reading the terrible side effects. I kept putting it off even though my sister in law is a pharmacist. I was scared. Terified. I'm in my 40s very fit. I kept thinking I would feel better. I thought it was hormones. I kept having panic attacks which didn't last long, but it still happened.There was a lot that happened over the course of the months and I believe my body just said enough. So once I experienced the panic attacks it fueled to the fire, worry set in and it was a terrible cycle. I started it after my friend opened up. I didn't feel alone. The first week I experienced diarrhea three days. No insomnia, no weight gain. I'm calmer for sure!"

Ddc2030 April 28, 2016

"Horrible. I was put on it right after the birth of my 2nd son for anxiety. It took me 2 years to realize that the Zoloft was the cause of my increased desire to drink (I would drink a bottle of whiskey and think nothing of it, and before Zoloft, that never would have happened), weight gain (over 30 lbs) and overall depersonalized and foggy feeling. I felt like a robot going through the motions. I became very lazy (I am a go-go-go person. Never have I been lazy in my life) and it negatively affected my relationships with my husband and kids. I was just disinterested in everything. I was really unhappy. I never thought it was the Zoloft, I just thought I was a stressed, tired and burned out mom... I've successfully weaned off and will never take it again"

LilyMae39 April 19, 2016

"I had some anxiety in college, then graduated, and the anxiety stayed. I used medication as my last resort, and after my doctor decided taking clonazepam everyday wasn't cutting it- I went on Zoloft. I expressed my concern about the weight gain aspect of this drug, and my doctor told me this was weight neutral....HA. a year later and I am 25 pounds heavier despite strict diet and exercise. The drug does wonders for anxiety, but I cannot deal with the weight. I am now considered obese. I've tried everything, and the only thing that seems to work is simply not eating (which obviously isn't practical). I am in the process of getting off this drug."

Lpars (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 16, 2016

"After two months of being on this medication, I had to wean off. I just couldn't take it anymore. You feel absolutely horrible on this stuff. Severe brain fog, unease, restless, extremely affected my cognitive abilities, etc. This was the worst SSRI I have ever taken. It did not work for me, however, it might work for you. After two months of being off the medication, the brain fog and cognitive abilities are still present, this did not happen on other SSRIs."

Dave202020 March 26, 2016

"I read these reviews, body tingling, shaking, concentrating on every breath or I would choke to death, using all of my will to focus on these reviews with tears in my eyes imagining that some of these success stories could happen to me and promised to write one if i could make it out alive. I'm 22 and started having severe panic 2 years ago. Don't worry about the side effects. If your experience was like mine every day, side effects would be a break from the dread and torture I felt every second. Zoloft brought me right back to the person I remember being before the panic. Just try it and give it time. It gradually got better over 3 weeks along with klonopin for attacks in that time. I hope this gives someone the hope and courage to try it."

DomB March 16, 2016

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am 6 days into Sertraline 50mg for panic disorder and want to reassure anyone who is terrified of starting this drug because they've read about all the terrible side effects, just as I was. I am a 23yr old female suffering from this for 8 years. Various therapies have helped but I keep relapsing. Last week I gave in and spoke to my Dr about meds. The first night I panicked because I was so scared of the side effects, which turned out to be mild at worst. Insomnia the first night, day 2 mild headache + slight diarrhea, and slight nausea on day 3+4, also loss of appetite. Overall, it felt like a mild hangover. I have felt slight anxiety at times, but it subsides quickly and doesn't develop. I'm feeling calmer already not even a week in!"

Cleo1992 (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2016

"It's been over a year now that I've been on Zoloft. I take 200 mg a day and I still cannot believe how much my life has changed/improved!! I am 36 years old and had been suffering from severe panic attacks, anxiety, and agoraphobia for almost 15 years...it was a complete challenge to get to work and even imagine a day without the feeling of anxiety from literally the time I woke up until I went to bed.. .I wasn't enjoying life at all, I was just existing. I had absolutely no control of my own conscious!! I finally decided that I had to try a prescription or else I would let this take over what little life I had completely! I started Zoloft on 25mg and worked up to the max of 200mg over about three months. It was the best decision ever!"

Winnie333 March 5, 2016

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Okay first of all! It will work! You need to give it time. Don't search up how long it will work that gives you more anxiety! Mine took a while to work. I was originally on 50mg and my appetite was getting better. But after 3 weeks my sleep still wasn't better and I had to up my dose to 100mg. I am starting to sleep normally again after taking this for 6 weeks! I really do fully feel like my self and I'm not waking up with panic anymore. It makes you feel so good to the point that you feel so normal that you'll be wondering if you don't need to take it anymore. I fortunately only get anxiety because I'm in school. So I hope to taper off of it after I'm done with school!"

Nursing School Problems (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2016

"I been on Zoloft for almost a month an I started on 25mg the first 1 to 2 weeks were ok I had mild nausea heart racing insomnia but went away start working but when I up my dose to 50 mg nausea burning stomach gas running to the bathroom I hope this feeling goes away soon scared."

Babylionhead March 4, 2016

"I have been on Zoloft for 6 months 100mg a day. It worked great for me. Then out of the blue I started feel bad again like I felt before I started Zoloft. Low energy & borderline anxiety attacks all day every day."

britney31915 March 1, 2016

"I've been on Zoloft since I was 21 and I'm now 31. One day I woke up with intense crying, depression, anxiety , fear of family and friends dying and self harm . My personality is one of a very happy go lucky girl and I refused to live with this nightmare. So my doctor put me on 50mg Zoloft. It took about a month for it to work and I had the tiredness, yawning , feeling completely out of it , to waking up and feeling amazing . I have tried to come off Zoloft throughout the years and man the side affects suck ! Intense anxiety, feels like your brain is exploding and vertigo. If you do decide to come off make sure you're under the supervision of your doctor. To this day zoloft has helped me and I will be on this for the rest of my life."

Kristin84 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 25, 2016

"I Have been on this medication for over a year. Was prescribed 50mg by my doctor due to severe anxiety and panic disorder. I have since not had a single severe panic attack, it also helped a little with my social anxiety. However, it takes longer to reach orgasm and I am only in the mood at nighttime and I have gained 40 pounds and I seem to lack motivation, I also feel like the effects are slowly wearing off so I may have to up the dose slightly or switch to a new medication. I had no initial side effects. I think this medicine works a lot better for anxiety than depression."

Worrierobsessed February 23, 2016

"I'm 24 years old and have suffered anxiety and Panic disorder now for 2 years. Unfortunately my diagnosis was not made until 6 months ago and before that I was severely stuffed around by the medical profession making my Panic and anxiety that much worse. I'm on to day 16 of this medication and i'm hoping it is yet to take full effect. I have definitely noticed an improvement as I haven't had a full blown attack for 2 weeks however I still think of them and feel them coming on daily, this may well be a habitual thing though and from what I've read it can take 4-6 weeks so i'm feeling hopeful. I had all the side effects but these were easy compared to the panic attacks I was experiencing. I'll check in soon to see if that switch has flicked:)"

Chrissypie February 23, 2016