User Reviews for Zoloft to treat Panic Disorder

Zoloft has an average rating of 7.5 out of 10 from a total of 290 ratings for the treatment of Panic Disorder. 68% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 16% reported a negative effect.

Zoloft Rating Summary

7.5/10 average rating

Compare all 34 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Zoloft

Dom June 8, 2020

“I suffered from panic attacks back in 2017 I was terrified of going on medication But I was sad all the time, I felt empty. After my panic attacks came depression. No one understood what I was going through. So after months of anxiety and depression my dr suggested Zoloft. I was scared to take it. the thought of being on Zoloft scared me. I sat in my car holding the Zoloft and cried “I’m gonna be on medication my whole life”. But I took the Zoloft! I felt really panicky the first two weeks but after the two weeks, I noticed my anxiety calm down and panic attacks went away I was on it for about a year and and decided to wean myself off of it. I’m seriously so happy I decided to take Zoloft it helped me when I needed it I’ve been off of Zoloft since and I’m happy and healthy. My advice is take it if you have no other choice yes it’s scary but, don’t take advice from people who don’t suffer from anxiety and depression!! It helped me so much. Dom”

Abby · Taken for less than 1 month August 23, 2020

“Hi everyone! My name is Abby and I’m 24. I’ve always been a worrier, and have been in and out of therapy since college, and consistently for the past year now. While I am a huge fan of therapy, no matter how hard I worked I still struggled with intense anxiety and moderate depression. I went to the doctor once last November and was prescribed Zoloft, but didn’t take it because I was scared to start a medication. After another rough patch this summer, I went back and took Zoloft. It’s a game changer. I still am me - but a much more stable, level-headed version. I am more present and can sort out my anxious thoughts much more easily. For the first time in forever, I’m feeling happy and hopeful about the future. All I want to say is, if you’ve been struggling, please seek out professional medical help and do not be afraid to take the medication you are prescribed. It’s absolutely possible to feel like you again. All my love ♥️”

Sunshine October 26, 2020

“I’ve been having panic attacks/ anxiety since I can remember. (I’m 27). About 3 years ago I couldn’t take it anymore I quit drinking, quit drinking caffeine, stopped smoking cigarettes. Nothing helped. In January of 2020 after trying about 7 different medications, (at this point I was terrified after so many failed attempts) I didn’t want to try anything else, nothing seemed to help. So let me Start by saying ZOLOFT SAVED MY LIFE, let me say it again so the people in the back can hear, ZOLOFT SAVED MY LIFE. I feel like everything is so much brighter, I gained some weight but that is minor to not have panic attacks for days on end. I’m on 50mg I started very slow which helped the side effects I started at 12.5mg and after 3 days bumped up to 25mg and after a week to 50mg. I couldn’t be happier and feel like for the first time I have my life ahead of me. I would recommend this drug to anyone. It changed my life for the better.”

Carson47 · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 12, 2021

“I started having panic attacks/ anxiety since I was 16 years old. Things got real bad in my late 30’s early 40’s. I would drink alcohol at night to self medicate. I tried therapy and my doctor would always try to put me on an a anti depressant. I was too scared ,thinking it would make it worse! After having a nervous breakdown and being hospitalized 6 years ago they put me on Zoloft 50gm and Lamictal 25gm and I finally have my life back!!! It was like a light switch finally came on in my head! So much more calm, not worrying all the time, not wanting alcohol to cope. I haven’t had a drink in 6 years! It has truly has been a life saver for me and I give God all the glory. Sides effects were minimal, 1st week - insomnia and night sweats after that, completely fine! I wish all of you the best of luck and it will get better! Trust me, I thought I was hopeless!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 3, 2020

“Hi everyone. Around a month and a half ago I had hit a VERY LOW point in my life after a panic attack. I knew there was something wrong. I couldn’t sleep, I was CONSTANTLY worrying, and I felt very empty. I had bad tremors, I felt numb, and could not stop crying. I developed general anxiety disorder. It put me in a deep spiral. After being prescribed klonopin to help me sleep, I knew I had to try out a medication. My doctor put me in Zoloft 25mg, and a week later bumped me to 50mg. Zoloft literally saved my life. I never thought I could begin to feel myself again, no worrying, not anxious to do things, and very much more present. I will say it gets much worse before it gets better. Stick it out. Literally changed my life.”

Xavi August 21, 2019

“This drug Zoloft saved my life. I was in the darkest depths. Rampant anxiety to the point it was almost impossible to go to work. I couldn't go out in public, get haircuts or go to the dentist because I would have panic attacks. Every time I woke up I was sad that I was alive because the anxiety would hit me like a flood of terror. Zoloft took me 180. I am absolutely fine now. I still have minor anxiety but just a normal human amount. I am happy and healthy and I have a girlfriend for the first time in my life and I am working out and I am doing well at work. The bad side effects are non existent for me. Sleep, appetite and weight were unaffected. When I started Zoloft the anxiety skyrocketed. But after 4 weeks I woke up one morning and it was like an angel drew the curtains open for me and the light was shining. I woke up and instantly felt better and had hope for the future. If it weren't for Zoloft, I wouldn't have made it. ”

Daniella009 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 16, 2020

“Before taking this drug, I spent 2 weeks researching side effects as I was so nervous to take it. Let me just tell you that you will feel the side effects in the first 1-2 weeks (first week was awful) and I was only on 25mg. I kept reading reviews in hope that I just needed to stick it out. I AM SO THANKFUL that I did. I have been on 50mg for 3 weeks now and everyday feels better. I can talk to people, I feel calm, my heart doesn't race at a 1000 beats per minute anymore. I suffered from GAD, Panic disorder, depression and social anxiety for years. It always impacted my relationships at home, at work and I was finding it so hard to get through university. After years of never wanting to take ADs, I reached a point where I had suicidal ideations and ended up in the ED. Since then I have not looked back and I will keep taking this drug as long as I feel like this. THERE IS LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL I PROMISE!! I had no hope. I thought I would feel this way forever. GOOD LUCK”

Rgdadad December 13, 2013

“This message is for anyone out there right now reading this. I am a 32 year old father of four with a wonderful wife. Good career/nice home. I had no reason to feel depressed/stress/panic/ anxiety however, a few months ago it happened and all started with first panic attack on night of my birthday. I fought doctors advice and tried to only take Xanax as needed all the while the symptoms became worse. After 3 long months I broke down and took my first Zoloft. 2 weeks later I am me again. Going places/eating/enjoying/laughing/living. This is the medicine you need/TAKE IT/don't think about it/TAKE IT. Your life will come back and only memories of panic/anxiety. Your brain is off balance due to stress. You need this medicine to correct it.”

Morgan July 9, 2021

“Hi everyone. My friend recently lost her child and as a mom it hit me very hard. I constantly worried and had irrational thoughts that something would happen to my daughter. I couldn’t drink caffeine or workout I felt anxious, shaky, dizzy, and my had palpitations all the time for nearly 3 weeks prior to starting Zoloft. I could not do anything that I normally did without anxiety, my heart racing, and panic attacks nearly everyday. I felt hopeless and heavy and as though I would never get out of my funk. I started taking Zoloft around 2.5 weeks ago. Initially I had terrible nausea, belly pain, shakiness, light-headed, diarrhea, and loss of appetite. That has slowly subsided over around 1.5 weeks. My appetite is still not back 100% but I am so much happier no panic attacks in over a week. Slowly feeling more like myself and as though the wall between myself and the world has lifted. This medication takes time and patience but, it is so worth it. God bless!”

Weeping willow · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 1, 2020

“Before Zoloft, I had panic attacks every single day for weeks. I was starting to feel hopeless and I didn’t know what to do anymore. When I started taking Zoloft, it was a roller coaster the first week. I had several huge panic attacks on Zoloft (assuming that was just my body getting used to it), but they’d always go away just as fast as they showed up. I almost stopped taking it but I decided to keep trying it for a while, and I am SO glad I did. I’ve been taking it for almost over a month now and I haven’t had a panic attack in WEEKS. At all! I also find it much easier in social situations as well. I can talk to people without all of the overthinking and I haven’t felt very anxious about anything. Anxiety was a MAJOR part of me for years so experiencing this was an absolute life changer. I will not stop taking Zoloft. I believe it has genuinely saved my life. I highly recommend it!!!”

Anxiousgirl90 · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 12, 2021

“I wanted to share my experience with Zoloft because I know reading reviews helped me. I was 22 and started experiencing extreme panic attacks and aniexty. Depersonalization, out of body feelings, weird, basically off. You name it. I had it. I started Zoloft 50 mg and it took a month to work, I know it’s sounds like long time but when it kicked in.. it saved me. I was able to do life again, and it’s not like suddenly I changed I just felt normal again and I could function again. I had a few side effects initially like stomach aches. Headaches. But it was worth it. If you are considering Zoloft well it really saved me... coming off it was also not bad, as long as you taper slowly. But it was a god send for 3 years for me”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 27, 2021

“I’ve been on Zoloft for about 4 months, which I tried after a failed time with Citalopram. During the pandemic I had the worst anxiety I’ve ever had, which is saying something. I was throwing up every day, and I couldn’t see a way out. Zoloft and therapy have saved me. If you’re reading this and everything feels hopeless, stick with it. 3 months later I feel better than I have in the past six years.”

MajorModerateDepression · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 6, 2019

“I have been taking Zoloft for a month now and holy cow it is a miracle drug for me and my panic disorder. I was diagnosed with Anxiety/Panic disorder and Moderate Major Depression and so far it has worked! I started out on 25 mg for a week and after that week went to 50 mg. (I'm small, female) I did have a few side effects the first week (feeling "out of it", night sweats, and just generally feeling the medication. But after that week my mood has improved, I laugh more, and I feel like my old self, less anxious and I haven't had a panic attack. I will probably be on Zoloft for the rest of my life and I'm okay with that because I love how I feel on this medication. I've never taken any other medication but this one has helped me get back into hobbies that I was too depressed to enjoy and be able to perform tasks that used to make me anxious, even simple tasks.”

bride2be · Taken for less than 1 month November 22, 2019

“I was so nervous about starting this Zoloft. I read these reviews over and over for days. I was experiencing extremely bad panic attacks and suffered from depression. I finally bit the bullet and took it. The first day (took it in the morning as directed) I felt really weird, super drowsy and lethargic. Switched it to taking it at night and it was much better. I was still drowsy during the day for about a week though even after taking it at night. I didn't have much of an appetite at first either and lost some weight which I'm not complaining about. lol. Now after almost a month of taking it I am soooo glad I did. I feel like myself again. It might be weird at first but please if you need it then try it, and if it sucks tell your doctor but if you can handle the side effects stick with it, it really does get better and totally worth it! I'm having almost zero negative side effects now and am out and about doing the things I had a seriously hard time doing before.”

Jthayer17 June 21, 2021

“Developed panic disorder in late May as a result of trauma due to an anaphylactic reaction. Wasn't allergy tested soon enough, and so my anxiety around eating got worse and evolved into a panic disorder. Without meds, I felt OK maybe 40% of the time, but had anxiety around eating and Globus sensation / panic attacks. I started taking 12.5 mg Jun 9. Thought I was out of the woods. Had an hour before bed where I fought off panic attacks. 2nd day has been somewhat lousy. No panic attacks, but definitely some anxiety (granted no globus sensation), sweaty, uncomfortable, confused, nauseous, no appetite, and fatigued. But it's day 2 so we're going to stick to the program. I'll give a timeline of how I responded to Zoloft over time. Day 10: Anxiety WAY down. Still have some panic attack like symptoms here and there, but feeling a lot more normal without side effects. Side effects lasted 2 days. Feeling better each day. If you're on the fence about taking it, I'd definitely recommend!”

Alchemy · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 3, 2020

“For me personally, it takes some time to start working, but on the other hand, it is a life saving medicine. I am the best version of myself on Zoloft. Although I hope that one day I will be able to be that on my own:)”

Anxiety101 October 4, 2019

“I never ever review anything but after being on this drug for now 4 weeks I felt the need to review. I was previously on Zoloft (25mg) for 2 years before going off of it and it was AMAZING. 6 months after stopping it, I could feel my anxiety slowly coming back and decided to go back on Zoloft (25mg). The first 3 weeks were horrible. I would wake up every morning with extreme anxiety, nausea/ vomiting and felt really out of it. For those 3 weeks I had no energy or appetite (lost 10 lbs) which is hard when you need to work and go to school! I was living in a foggy state of 24/7 anxiety and felt like I couldn't escape from it and I knew it was the medicine making it worst but I wanted to ride it out since I had positive experiences before. FINALLY after 4 weeks I am starting to feel back to normal. I can get up in the morning without crippling anxiety and dread, attend school and enjoy my relationship. Please give this medication AT LEAST 6-8 weeks to work. It eventually gets easier!”

DomB March 16, 2016

“I read these reviews, body tingling, shaking, concentrating on every breath or I would choke to death, using all of my will to focus on these reviews with tears in my eyes imagining that some of these success stories could happen to me and promised to write one if i could make it out alive. I'm 22 and started having severe panic 2 years ago. Don't worry about the side effects. If your experience was like mine every day, side effects would be a break from the dread and torture I felt every second. Zoloft brought me right back to the person I remember being before the panic. Just try it and give it time. It gradually got better over 3 weeks along with klonopin for attacks in that time. I hope this gives someone the hope and courage to try it.”

Best EVER March 7, 2019

“Zoloft is a miracle worker. I am 20 years old, and I have had extreme panic attacks/anxiety for 3 years and never took any medication for it. It finally got to a point where I couldn’t even go to the bathroom without freaking out thinking I was going to pass out or die. I finally went to my OBGYN and she prescribed me Zoloft. My family and all the reviews scared me out of taking it and finally one day I had enough. I took it 8 months after I was prescribed and it changed my life. I had ZERO side effects and after 2 weeks I was wondering if it was even working. About 3 weeks into taking it I realized I just went to the bathroom without freaking out and I just drove home without a panic attack! It was the best feeling in the world. I take 25 mg every morning and life feels back to normal like I was when I was 16. I feel like I can do anything. If you are hesitant about taking Zoloft DON'T BE! Try it. I wish I would have taken it sooner. This stuff is a life saver.”

JO · Taken for less than 1 month December 11, 2019

“I started having severe panic attacks and anxiety attacks, and I was diagnosed with depression as well. They started me off at 25mg of Zoloft for my first month. The first week was..interesting. My anxiety initially got worse and my appetite was gone. I also felt so tired and exhausted, it sucked. But after the first week, I’ve felt AMAZING. I went from having so much anxiety and constantly panicking, to not having any panic attacks at all. And my anxiety is very minimal. There are some days I’m not even anxious at all. I’m just super calm and mellow, it’s great. They upped my dosage to 50mg to see how I would handle it, so I’ll update this after a month of 50mg. But so far, Zoloft has positively changed my life, even though the first week taking it sucked.”

Miraclezees September 9, 2018

“I promised myself that I would write a review and try to help someone else if the medicine worked and boy did it!! This is truly a miracle pill. It helped me with everything including my panic attacks, anxiety, intrusive thoughts, and OCD rituals. I’m free again able to live a calm life. I will say the first few weeks were brutal. I had every side effect, nauseous, diarrhea , headaches, dizziness, some minor hair loss and more. I prayed this pill would help me and it did. Before it I had no quality of life and, to me, the side effects were worth it. I stuck it out for 3 months and I’m back to my old self and even better. I had very dark days. The fear was paralyzing and I couldn’t function. I couldn’t get through the day without my Xanax 0.25 frequently and now Xanax free! I started with 50mg for a month and then 100mg for 8 weeks. Today, I’m working, exercising, being the mom I want to be and take stress better. My panic suffering is over. Thank you Lord and Thank you ZOLOFT!”

Krista M · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 12, 2017

“Let me start out by saying THIS IS THE FIRST REVIEW I HAVE EVER WRITTEN. I felt compelled to share my story and experience with Zoloft in hopes that it helps someone else. I agonized over the decision of whether or not to go on medication for an anxiety and panic disorder that was ruining my life. I was so fearful of side effects, weight gain, increased anxiety and all the other "what ifs". Finally, I submitted and figured I had nothing to lose. Let me just say 4 months on 50mg of Zoloft and I am loving life. Give this medication a chance, no one was more skeptical of me, to the point that I suffered more than 2 years before finally trying it. This medication CHANGED MY LIFE and I am so happy I decided to try it.”

Zietygirl September 14, 2018

“If your reading the reviews and thinking how scary Zoloft sounds or thinking maybe you shouldn’t take it then you are like I was 6 weeks ago. THIS MEDICINE HAS CHANGED MY LIFE ALREADY. I’m on 50mg and may increase to 75 due to some nervous thoughts and occasional sensations of panic but it is nothing like it use to be. Before zoloft I wasn’t able to leave my house. I was having severe panic attacks multiple times a day. This medicine started working for me at 25mg 2 weeks after starting it. Doctor increased it to 50mg and this week I’ve noticed a huge difference. The only side affect I had was nauseous and upset stomach at first and then again when I increased to 50mg 2 weeks ago. Other than that I just feel better. Please give this medicine a try if you want a shot at a somewhat normal life. You owe it to yourself to put the fear aside and try to get better. Do this for you. I did and I was terrified to try it but I’m so so happy I did.”

Gerge101 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 23, 2013

“Ignore all negative comments, it stopped me from taking this medicine for two years. I was unable to work, drive, fly, function. Panic attacks, exhausted all my life. Sporty, lived for exercise, tried CBT. Am pill phobic. My life was a mess so I worked with a great doc starting very slowly and here I am 6 months later and I'm a new person. No panic, mild anxiety every now and then like normal people but I'm manageable. Please do it. It's a wonderful medicine, no side effects and it'll change your life. Start living.”

traciii · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 25, 2014

“After trying just therapy for panic disorder, major depressive, and general anxiety I finally gave in and starting taking Zoloft. THANK GOD! I haven't had a single panic attack in 5 years when at one point I was having them up to ten times a day! I have had zero side effects. I also took it through pregnancy. I'm 28 and I'm fine with taking Zoloft forever, living without anxiety is just amazing!”

Learn more about Panic Disorder