User Reviews for Zoloft

Zoloft Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 37 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Zoloft to treat Panic Disorder

"Hi all. My name is Lauren I am 21. I have taken this medicine for 6 months. Here’s my story. 7 months ago I was having severe ANXIETY, with panic attacks and some mild depression because of it. I just wanted to feel better. I read review after review because I was scared to take an ANTIDEPRESSANT, since I wasn’t depressed, and because I’m a natural person I question everything. All I can say is TRY IT. There will always be negative comments on any medication. This one saved me. I started on 25 mg it wasn’t enough. It took 6 weeks too feel 100% and week 1 my anxiety was worse (didn’t know that was possible). I hope this helps you all because I was that person searching for what if’s."

Lauren (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 4, 2018

"My anxiety was so bad that I couldn't function I would have panic attacks driving home from work in fear of having another panic attack that I had years ago. I'm not going to ramble on. This medication has changed my life for the better I go out more talk more, my panic attacks and intrusive thoughts have been under control. Yes this medication works"

Texasman February 25, 2018

"After finally going to the doctor to get on medicine for my panic attacks he put me on Zoloft. I started it that same Friday. Starting the next day I had a constant panic attack till the next Sunday basically. With the help of my husband and mother they decided to take me to the ER. I was low on fluids and they had to give me other medications to calm me down. After that my doctor switched me to Xanax XR and it has done wonders for me! I would never take Zoloft again, please be careful"

Bdan January 3, 2018

"I have been on zoloft for 11 months and it has literally been the best thing I've ever done for my mental health. Before taking Zoloft I tried everything natural including exercise, meditation, therapy, balanced sleep, eating well and so on. I am not underestimating those things for balance but despite my commitment to a healthy life I was still having constant panic attacks which would then spiral me into depression. I can't believe the level of life quality I have from Zoloft. I feel so much more relaxed, able to access my logical side when challenge arises. At first few side affects like churning stomach, sweatiness, inability to orgasm and weirdly dilated pupils. They all subsided in a month of talking drug! Please give it a go."

Green Stone (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 2, 2018

"I’m on 7 day of sertraline and I feel a complete mess. I’m panicking, afraid, and crying. On my 3rd day I felt good but yesterday it’s got worst. I’m on 25mg and we don’t have a therapist were I live so I don’t know what to do"

Cherrypick December 22, 2017

"Came off Opioids in March after taking them for 2 years till I had my hip replaced. The anxiety and depression I experienced post the pain medication was horrific. I had no idea that I would become suicidal because of stopping opioids but I did. Every morning I awoke with the most intense panic and major depression which lasted day after day after day because I hadn’t been producing my own dopamine or serotonin whilst on pain meds. I thought I’d never recover. I stuck it out for two months when I got to the point of truly fearing for my life and afraid for my sanity. My doc was fantastic and very understanding. It’s only coming to light now the dangers of opioids, anyway I started on Zoloft and I’m feeling so much better again. Thank Goodness!"

CL77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 6, 2017

"I was on Zoloft for a few years as I have generalized anxiety disorder. I am also somewhat ADD and suffer from chronic insomnia but no depression. It helped but I got a new doctor and we decided to try Wellbutrin and vyvance respectively to treat the ADD. Wellbutrin actually made me depressed and the vyvance did wonders for the ADD but horrible for anxiety. E We then tried Effexor. Not the one. I went back begging for my Zoloft and a clonazepam at night. By far the best drug for me. It does take a couple of weeks before it calms me down enough to sleep. Being back on it feels like coming home again!"

Miss clairol (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 23, 2017

"I was only able to make it 5 days. I had nervousness from the time I woke up. Sweaty palms, nausea, anxiety, vivid unpleasant dreams. At times I would sleep for 12 hours and others maybe 3 hours. I couldn't take it anymore. I can't imagine dealing with those side effects for weeks. I stopped and feel so much better. It has taken about two days to feel better. Good luck to everybody but that felt like pure poison to me."

Jennifer RN October 3, 2017

"First, let me start off by saying that I did not know which category to choose, as this medication has helped me with several (OCD, PTSD, panic disorder, antenatal depression, claustrophobia, agoraphobia, social anxiety, and GAD.) For years, I debated and even fought the idea of taking medicine. After many years of struggling from a host of debilitating mental illnesses, I vowed if I was brave enough to try SSRI's, that I would come back and write about my experience in hopes that this post could at help at least one individual. At first, my antenatal depression and anxiety got so much worse, and I pretty much experienced every side effect in the book (yes, even the scary ones). I cannot even believe how amazing I feel just 8 weeks later!"

mbmb24 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 1, 2017

"This is my 3rd time being on this med. For me it runs it course after a few years and I have to get on a different med. I am highly sensitive to meds of this type. This is day 4 of being on it again. Very low dose of 25 mg. I am to be on this for 6 days and then suppose to bump up to 50 mg. Just don't think I will bump up this soon. This med has been truly a lifesaver once again for me. I had been under high stress for a month and a half and it just kept getting worse. Went back to dr and I asked him to put me back on Zoloft, generic version. He agreed. Very thankful for this med. Not quite back to my old self yet but very close. Minor side effects that I tolerate well. Please give this a try. This drug has been around for many years."

60's lady September 9, 2017

"I'm a 29 year old female. I've been suffering from horrible social anxiety disorder and panic attacks for over 2 years. I've been on Zoloft (technically sertraline since I'm on the generic version) for 4 months. The first 2-3 weeks I started with 25 mg and I had mild side effects like diarrhea and dizziness. I also spaced out a lot. After the 3 week mark the side effects started to go away and I felt so much better than I ever had in years. I had little to no social anxiety anymore and almost felt like I had my life back. After 2 months I felt I plateaued. I started getting the anxiety/panicky feelings back. So I upped my dosage to 50 mg. For now it is still doing the trick but it's nowhere near what it was in the beginning."

wingie August 11, 2017

"I've been on Sertraline (Zoloft) for eight years now and I am so glad I started! I take a weird dose-75mg-and that works for me! I do up my dose to 100mg when I feel I need it and my doc says this is okay. I am way past side effects, other than staying hydrated and eating extra fiber, I don't experience nausea or sleepiness. I use Zoloft in combination with Klonopin at night. I usually only take half a Klonopin at night for sleep. These two drugs together keep me calm, but not zombie-like. The looping ,intrusive thoughts and worrying seem blocked, and I rarely have breakthrough panic attacks. Regular exercise and talk therapy in combination with these drugs keep me balanced."

Misha13 July 4, 2017

"This is one of a handful of meds that I have been prescribed over my 35 year battle with panic and I have to say that this drug had no effect at all, good or bad. My panic just continued. Today I am on 100mg of Elavil and it is working quite well. Best of all, Elavil has the added bonus of curbing my neuropathy which had forced me to be on fentanyl for over 4 years."

13crocs June 29, 2017

"I was on 50mg of Zoloft for the last 3 years, and it has somewhat reduced my panic attacks, but my depression has gotten much worse. My doctor suggested that I increase my dosage to 100mg, which I did. At this dosage I felt less depressed, but was much more anxious, more angry and starting experiencing manic states for the first time in my life. I do not have bipolar, so this was extremely concerning. I have been taking 3mg of Clonazepam daily with my Zoloft, but I only experience mania after increasing my Zoloft, so I can only suspect I had an adverse reaction"

DaLeinad (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 21, 2017

"Continuation from Alee: I went to the ER and my potassium was low; now I'm on potassium pills for 3 days. Today 6/16/17 I had my first panic attack in over a few weeks, my heart was pounding really hard and fast; my left side was numb, I couldn't breathe; so I showered and it calmed me down a bit. I'm hesitant to start back on the zoloft...any suggestions?"

A. Asenth (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2017

"Back in 2013 I started having terrible panic attacks in public. I was agoraphobic with in weeks. Started taking Zoloft in Nov 2016. This month as of May 2017 I have been able to go places by my self that I have not been able to since 2013! It's the most amazing feeling to be able to go out again anxiety free. I think you should give the medicine longer than 4 months. At 4 months I felt good but couldn't go out by my self or go to far from home . I'm on 100mg a day. I had extreme fear of medicine wish I would have seen my doctor sooner. I couldn't even imagine doing what I'm doing now. My life seemed over after 3 years of basically being house bound. When I did go out it was hell. The side effects were not bad at all I have none now."

High Anxiety (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 17, 2017

"Let me start out by saying THIS IS THE FIRST REVIEW I HAVE EVER WRITTEN. I felt compelled to share my story and experience with Zoloft in hopes that it helps someone else. I agonized over the decision of whether or not to go on medication for an anxiety and panic disorder that was ruining my life. I was so fearful of side effects, weight gain, increased anxiety and all the other "what ifs". Finally, I submitted and figured I had nothing to lose. Let me just say 4 months on 50mg of Zoloft and I am loving life. Give this medication a chance, no one was more skeptical of me, to the point that I suffered more than 2 years before finally trying it. This medication CHANGED MY LIFE and I am so happy I decided to try it."

Krista M (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2017

"I had depression and anxiety since 2 years . Tried prozac and from 3rd pill it was terrible ! Severe headache ! Changed to zoloft and started increasing dose gradually from 12.5 till 25 then 50 . Noticed improvement in about 1-2 month . I recommend this drug . Tried to stop it 2 month ago and I relapsed so am taking it now again hoping it could work again .. However my insomnia is killing me !!!!"

Anonymous 12345 April 14, 2017

"My recommendation - if you have a panic disorder, get on situational meds like klonopin or xanax. This may not be a wise decision if you have an addiction problem/addictive personality, but klonopin saved my life. Before klonopin, though, I took zoloft. Zoloft made me incredibly sick and very depressed. I have never had depression, only the panic disorder. Situational meds reminded me what it felt like to be normal, and after awhile I was able to mimic that normalcy on my own."

kales April 6, 2017

"These reviews helped me so much when I first started Zoloft over 5 weeks ago that I wanted to post my experience. After several weeks of increasingly worsening panic attacks at work, I ended up in the hospital. A year ago my psych Dr switched me from cymbalta to a mood stabilizer and things were good until November as stress at work increased. I was depending on too much bromazepam to get through the day. My GP started me on 50 mg of Zoloft and my anxiety was so bad also tremors for 4 weeks I was sure I would have to quit working or cut my hours. But this Monday on week 5 was amazing. I still have some anxiety but I seem to be able to handle it now. It's like I have my confidence back. Good luck!"

Dentalhygienist68 March 23, 2017

"UPDATE! I wanted to share my experience once again. I posted on here a little while ago about how I couldn't sleep on Zoloft, only 3 hours then I would wake up every 30-45 min. So I took a brief drug holiday for 2 days and started back on it to give it another try. I literally took 6.25mg and the first few nights were fine, but then after about 4 days I started waking up super early in the morning and I could not fall back asleep. It wasn't the worst possible case scenario, but I still felt like I wasn't sleeping enough and I was still tired through out the day. So waking up early again this morning I have decided that I am done with antidepressants. I have tried 3 now, and none of them have worked."

NurseAshley (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2017

"started zoloft 25mg but was told to brake in half for three days then go to the 25mg for two weeks then to 50mg , the first week was hell!!! Was throwing up none stop, horrible diarrhea made my anxiety so much worse, I weighed 85 pounds and went down to 73, was in and out of the er because I needed fluids, after week too I could tell my depression was better but my anxiety was still bad got to the point I couldn't leave my bed, my son missed basketball games had to have my mom go to the store for me, after week 3 on the 50mg doctor prescribed me xanax (one a day if needed) it helped a lot with my anxiety but my side effects keep getting worse so the doctor got me off the zoloft, a lot better now off the zoloft and haven't had anxiety in a week,"

Lizzybear1 (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2017

"Works great but you'll never sleep the same again. I can sleep for about 3 hours per night and then I'm up every 30-45 minutes after that. Always the same thing every night around the same time, 3am wake up eyes wide open and often cannot fall back sleep. Hardly ever enter REM sleep due to the frequent awakenings. I'm exhausted all day, every day, but hey I'm happy right? WRONG! I need sleep to function. Stopped taking it. Other side effects: dry mouth, decreased appetite, tremors, dilated pupils the size of Texas, CONSTANT HEADACHE, decreased sensation with orgasm. There has to be another way to deal with anxiety and panic attacks, right?!?!"

NurseACH March 6, 2017

"Today is day 14 on Zoloft. It's been a rough 2 weeks with the only side effects being heightened anxiety & panic. Now I'm past the first two weeks I should start to feel some improvement right?? I'm currently relying on lorazepam to function."

Sar70 (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2017

"Zoloft changed my life completely and I feel "normal" pretty much all of the time. I was too phobic to try it and for 15 yrs I suffered. I wish it didn't have to happen that way. I started literally on 6.25 mg so afraid I'd get ill. Went up to 12.5 then 25 and so on. I'm now on 150mg and have had zero side effects. If you're like me and phobic of meds, start on a baby dose. Even when the doc looks at you weird, just do it your way for you. You want the lowest effective dose anyway right? Start small and tell yourself this will help and not hurt you before you take it. Each day it gets easier. Best wishes for a better life."

Happy finally (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 1, 2017