User Reviews for Zoloft

Learn more about Zoloft.

Zoloft Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 35 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Zoloft to treat Panic Disorder

"UPDATE! I wanted to share my experience once again. I posted on here a little while ago about how I couldn't sleep on Zoloft, only 3 hours then I would wake up every 30-45 min. So I took a brief drug holiday for 2 days and started back on it to give it another try. I literally took 6.25mg and the first few nights were fine, but then after about 4 days I started waking up super early in the morning and I could not fall back asleep. It wasn't the worst possible case scenario, but I still felt like I wasn't sleeping enough and I was still tired through out the day. So waking up early again this morning I have decided that I am done with antidepressants. I have tried 3 now, and none of them have worked."

NurseAshley (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"started zoloft 25mg but was told to brake in half for three days then go to the 25mg for two weeks then to 50mg , the first week was hell!!! Was throwing up none stop, horrible diarrhea made my anxiety so much worse, I weighed 85 pounds and went down to 73, was in and out of the er because I needed fluids, after week too I could tell my depression was better but my anxiety was still bad got to the point I couldn't leave my bed, my son missed basketball games had to have my mom go to the store for me, after week 3 on the 50mg doctor prescribed me xanax (one a day if needed) it helped a lot with my anxiety but my side effects keep getting worse so the doctor got me off the zoloft, a lot better now off the zoloft and haven't had anxiety in a week,"

Lizzybear1 (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Works great but you'll never sleep the same again. I can sleep for about 3 hours per night and then I'm up every 30-45 minutes after that. Always the same thing every night around the same time, 3am wake up eyes wide open and often cannot fall back sleep. Hardly ever enter REM sleep due to the frequent awakenings. I'm exhausted all day, every day, but hey I'm happy right? WRONG! I need sleep to function. Stopped taking it. Other side effects: dry mouth, decreased appetite, tremors, dilated pupils the size of Texas, CONSTANT HEADACHE, decreased sensation with orgasm. There has to be another way to deal with anxiety and panic attacks, right?!?!"

NurseACH March 6, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Today is day 14 on Zoloft. It's been a rough 2 weeks with the only side effects being heightened anxiety & panic. Now I'm past the first two weeks I should start to feel some improvement right?? I'm currently relying on lorazepam to function."

Sar70 (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Zoloft changed my life completely and I feel "normal" pretty much all of the time. I was too phobic to try it and for 15 yrs I suffered. I wish it didn't have to happen that way. I started literally on 6.25 mg so afraid I'd get ill. Went up to 12.5 then 25 and so on. I'm now on 150mg and have had zero side effects. If you're like me and phobic of meds, start on a baby dose. Even when the doc looks at you weird, just do it your way for you. You want the lowest effective dose anyway right? Start small and tell yourself this will help and not hurt you before you take it. Each day it gets easier. Best wishes for a better life."

Happy finally (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 1, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm 18 and have been on Zoloft 50 mg for about a week now after the first couple days I felt like it makes my anxiety and panic attacks worse should I go to higher dose or change to something else? First day or 2 got really aggressive thoughts and couldn't sleep but each day got easier! I smoke weed everyday and the weed makes me get anxiety but the Zoloft tires to fight it and I feel like I'm trapped in my body with even worse anxiety. I feel sad as on the inside but no one would even tell when I'm with them it's like all my feelings are trapped inside me if that makes sense any help anyone?"

Tyroneranger February 27, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I normally never post reviews of any kind, however this review is different for me. Not only is it very personal to me, but I hope that in sharing my story it can also help someone see the light at the end of the tunnel. After a brief medical scare my anxiety rose to an all time high causing severe panic attacks and making me emotionally unrecognizable. I was afraid of doing normal, everyday things that I otherwise wouldn't have thought about and also scared myself into thinking I had some sort of heart related issues. Long story short, zoloft resulted in a 180 change for me in less < 6 wks. I started the first week off with 1/2 of a 50 mg tabl and then a whole. Very thankful for giving this life changing medicine a chance. Never lose hope"

Starbrightx (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2017

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Zoloft worked AWESOME for my extreme anxiety and major depression. It worked for many years but eventually (as all good things do), it stopped working as well and once my dosage couldn't go any higher, I had to start the whole process of finding the right medication and the right "cocktail" for me. Again, I'd like to reiterate that Zoloft SAVED MY LIFE for MANY YEARS and only had to stop talking bc after about 7-10 years I guess my body didn't continue to respond like it used to."

MaryKrazy1 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 23, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was switching from 40mg of Celexa to 100mg of Zoloft. Felt great first two weeks. Then it was pure hell after that. I ended up with Serotonin syndrome during the switch. Ok. Gave the drug a good 8 weeks. Couldn't sleep. Was way too activating. Made me feel trapped in a constant state of anxiety and panic. Zaps in my fingers and toes. My children at one point asked if I was high because of the way I was acting. I couldn't even get a coherent thought out. The last day I took Zoloft I can't even remember I was so out of it. Not the drug for me. Those shouldn't persuade you from trying it as many of these meds are hit and miss."

Sc00bs (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 10, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took 100 mg daily for over 10 years and it did nothing to take care of the problems I explained to my doctor. Every time I advised my doctor it wasn't working he increased the dosage but never did it relieve my panic, tremor or social anxiety disorder. Feeling I no longer wanted to take it for these reasons they refused to help me get off it so I did it by myself over several months and had severe withdrawal panics. I had suicidal thoughts and attempts but why should a person take a medication that doesn't help with the problem."

PSFri February 6, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"HELLO world, Writing a review cause 'Im just like you scrolling thru, I wanted to share my experience with this medicine, first things first this DOES NOT work right away it takes about a month or two For me at least to kick in, so do not stop after like a week unless you have horrible side effects. I satrted from 20mg all the way to 100mg. Helps a lot with S.A , G.A.D and depression, and as well as Agoraphobia Panic attacks are gone, Still get anxious but a normal nervousness not overwhelming, no more crying spells.. This Medicine won't Cure Mental Illness but it definitely HELPS! %u2764%u2764%u2764%u2764" Give it a Try, & always keep ya head up! ! if it doesn't work you can always keep trying other SSRI's that will help your everyday life!"

Quest. (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 31, 2017

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Life saver. Few side effects initially (increased depression and anxiety, decreased appetite, insomnia and agitation), no side effects long term. Push through those horrible first two weeks. At week three my depression was GONE, agitation completely gone, panic attacks gone. Some general anxiety, But that subsided after a couple of month. I was on this medication for a year, and got of it with little to no withdrawal symptoms. I STRONGLY recommend starting as low as 12.5 mg for a week, then 25 for a week. Cut the 25 mg tablets in half. This eases those horrible initial side effects, especially anxiety and agitation. Big hugs and high five to all of you anxiety/depression suffers out there. You can and you Will get better!"

Danishgirl (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 30, 2017

45 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on 50mg Zoloft for 2 weeks now. I confidently say this medication is the best thing that has ever happened to me since living my life controlled by anxiety and horrendous panic. It was the right decision because I'm starting to finally see that I'm getting my life back to how I was before. The side effects are not great like lack of appetite, nausea etc. But they pass after a week or two and all these bad reviews that you see are people not giving this medication a chance to kick in and work. It takes time and I respect that it might not effect everyone how it has me but I can say without Zoloft I don't think I would have ever got better because no reassurance from family members was helping it was the extra push I needed."

Jack27765 January 27, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Zoloft, for me, has been a wonder drug. It worked incredibly well for me in combating anxiety associated with Post Natal Depression. Initially I had the shakes and dry mouth and a little dizziness, but that passed after a couple of weeks. I highly recommend sticking with the side effects and trying it for at least 8 weeks. From being almost bed bound, I completed a nursing degree, got a great job and am raising 2 kids as a single Mum. I found keeping busy the helps with my anxiety. CBT and Zoloft were, however, the most effective treatments for keeping panic at bay."

1968Wookiee January 26, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Ok so this is my first review. I had been suffering from severe anxiety and panic attacks for about 5 months it completely changed my life for the worse. I stopped all the things I used to enjoy I didn't go to the gym and I wasn't physically active. I felt safe in my room not socialising as this did not cause me to panic. However it was a downward spiral from there. The reason that I felt safe at first was because my anxiety was from my heart beating fast and I was always aware of it ( weird right.) I wanted to avoid all things that would trigger my panic attacks. gotta cut it short so I took 50 mg zoloft and after the first day I haven't had one single panic attack and feel 10x better. I still have a little anxiety but only on my 5th day."

Jack__ January 22, 2017

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had panic disorder with agoraphobia for years now and have been going through medications, trying to find the right medicine and dose. Zoloft (the generic of Zoloft) was the third medication I've tried. I started at a lower dose and went up to a dose of 100 mg daily. I had no significant side effects on the lower dose, but experienced bad side effects at the higher dose, such as night sweats, very dry mouth, and issues in thought (such as losing my train of thought fairly frequently). I weaned off slowly and experienced flu like body aches for a couple of weeks as I came off of it. I don't recall any benefit that I got from being on this drug. Unfortunately, this medicine did not work for me."

QwertyBird (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 12, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on this drug after a traumatic experience that brought my anxiety up further than it ever had been. It helped take the edge off for the first few weeks during the summer, yet after a month into university when everything became stressful again, I stopped seeing results. I went up to 50mg after being on 25mg and I felt absolutely awful. I felt like I was trapped in a box but had to cary the weight of it everywhere. Functioning became harder and harder and I wasn't myself. I went back down and immidietly felt like I did after being on no medication. However at this point I started feeling depressed and suicidal, things that are not usual for me. Now I am beginning to try Fluvoxamine and hopefully it can fix what Zoloft caused."

bballgirl96 December 6, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had wicked panic attacks, anxiety and now panic disorder. I've tried the breathing, distractions, calming music and all that. Only thing that really worked was praying and listening to Christian music. But that didn't do it completely so I went back to the Dr when my latest one caused me to lose my job. I was scared to death to try Zoloft after all the reviews saying things get worse before better and I naturally freak out any time I try any new medication. But, I've been on the 25 mg for about a week and just went to 50. I've had absolutely no side effects other than my brain trying to lie to me, if you know what I mean. I also take .50 mg Xanax with it and I take it at night so I believe that helps. I feel so much better."

StephenCW43 October 26, 2016

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I suffered from severe anxiety for years particularly social anxiety. Been on 100mg a day for about six months now. I feel like a new person now ,feel normal and calm and doing things I hadn't thought possible. For me this is a wonder medicine. Took weeks before I felt an improvement but well worth sticking with it. Don't want to stay on it long term but worried about stopping as I never want to go back to chronic anxiety again. I'm sure it's different for some people but I never felt better since taking Zoloft. Hope this helps"

MossieG October 25, 2016

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was put on Sertraline for panic attacks. The first few months were good. Only side effects were brain zaps and an overall strange feeling. First few weeks I had racing thoughts, high blood pressure, and feeling like iI had too much caffeine. It slowed down and my panic attacks got less. But, I did gain weight like another review mentioned. Not just a few pounds.... like 25. I was constantly craving carbs, and had a huge bloated feeling all of the time. I had to get off of this medicine unfortunately because of that."

Ang256 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 28, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was put on Zoloft by my doctor for panic attacks about sleeping/falling asleep after she felt I was too dependent on Clonazepam. This definitely worked for anxiety, however I gained around 30+ pounds in a little over a year and a half. I was still exercising regularly and eating normally. It started slowly and then one day none of my pants fit me anymore. The last straw was when I went to the doctor for my yearly check up and was 200 pounds. I weaned myself off of it, and almost immediately I felt less bloated. It has been a little over a week and I'm suffering terrible dizziness and headaches. I'm determined to never be on this crap again."

sleeplessinMD (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 25, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I just started taking a generic Zoloft a few days ago for my Border line personality disorder/ anxiety . The first day, I felt very sluggish, like a zombie. I feel sick, and I got plenty of sleep last night, however, I do not know how I'm going to be able to go to work today. I feel like I have no motivation, and it gives me such a bad sick feeling, that I can't stick through. I'm trying though, but if the sickness, sluggish, numbing of the mind thing doesn't go away, I'm going to discontinue taking this medicine. I feel like I can't think what so ever because Zoloft is numbing my mind."

Kayladawns September 18, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Never written a review in my life. Was often on these sites reading peoples experiences and hoping 1 day i would be me again. Im not me , im happier then i can remember . When your used to living with anxiety daily you dont realise how it actually feels to be "normal". Suffered panic attacks at night that came from absolutely nowhere, no warnings or triggers and gradually effected my day to day life. Started 50mg, first 2 weeks side effects were pretty harsh ; insomnia , increase anxiety , nausea. Was having second thoughts at 4 weeks as didnt see much improvement . Week 5 felt like a switch was turned on in my head. Give this drug 6-8 weeks minimum. it has been life changing for me"

Trend September 6, 2016

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was started on Zoloft two weeks ago. I went to my PCP because I could not handle my anxiety anymore. I am a single parent and work two full time jobs. Life is just a little much for me. She decided to start me on 25 mg of Zoloft. I took it for 5 days. Every night I tossed and turned. I could not sleep. My appetite was poor. Which was a good thing, because I had some weight to lose. But on my fifth day, I came home and had a panic attack in front of my three year old son. I have never had one in my 26 years of life. It was the scariest thing ever. I called my PCP and she never called me back. The Xanax did not help. So the next day I went to the ER and they gave me Ativan and told me not to take the Zoloft, that I had an adverse reaction."

Courtb1 (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Everyone is different how they react to meds . But omg this medicine is the worst for me I tried it over a year ago lasted three days because I just got so sick . Well then I months later I said I'll try it again maybe I just got the flue or soemthing at the same time of taking it the first time well I last 5 days on the lowest dose and again sick as hell this medicine made me feel like so much worse like I was in a panic attack 24/7 . Headache , stomach issues , feeling out of my body , I just don't get it how they say you need go threw the side affects to get better like there's no way they can expect you to stick with something that's making you 20 times worse like sure I little unpleasant but this is over board how it made me feel .:("

Jjbegood (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2016