User Reviews for Zoloft

Learn more about Zoloft.

Zoloft Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Zoloft to treat Depression

"The first 2 weeks on Zoloft were like hell. I was drowsy, had nightmares and my stomach was a mess. I've been taking 75mg for 3 month now and I feel like a new person . I'm mellow , easy to deal with and satisfied"

Kati27c (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"20 y/o female, prescribed 50mg for major depressive disorder, social anxiety, and just overall generalized anxiety. Been on 50mg for 3 months now. Side effects were minor which consisted of insomnia, loss of appetite, and nausea.. though they subsided within the first few weeks and I now experience none. I love Zoloft! I can live again! I'm laughing and going out with friends, not laying in bed all day. I can finally breath, my surroundings seem so much brighter, I don't harbor hate anymore, I'm me again...More ambitious and creative like I was before I fell into this self destructive path of depression two years ago. I no longer have the desire to self medicate with drugs and alcohol. I wish I got on Zoloft a long time ago."

Kitten.666 June 21, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started Zoloft after being on citalopram. Citalopram worked the best for me but due to my age, my GP wouldn't raise the dose after 25mg stopped helping. I've been on Zoloft since around February or so and it's increased my anxiety dramatically. To the point that I can't sleep and I'm writing this at 4:49am. I also noticed I started to struggle with death anxiety A LOT which I hadn't had problems with in the past. I am still taking Zoloft but will hopefully be changing medication in the next few weeks."

Kjemma (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've taken Zoloft for several years: once to help with OCD when I was younger and more recently to help with depression. Overall I definitely experienced less crying and general hopelessness on Zoloft. I still had my bad days but in general it's manageable. The biggest side effect was the weight gain. I gained about 20 lbs in a year. I also felt like I sweat easier on this medication, especially my palms. This was pretty minor though. I'm switching to another medication due to the weight gain and I will say the withdrawals from Zoloft are tough. My emotions were really heightened and anything could make me cry. Be sure to tell your loved ones that you'll need some extra support as you taper off."

cisuggs (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 14, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed this medicine in 2004 to help with depression. Instead of getting better I progressively got worse and my psychiatrist's answer was to put me on Xanax. Long story short, I ended up in a psychiatric hospital. Turns out I have bipolar II and since I wasn't on a mood stabilizer I essentially lost my mind. Horrible experience."

TWG74 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed Zoloft for depression and I was on it for a month before I had to get off. After three weeks I started noticing a lack of feeling and it became difficult to orgasm and once the fourth week came around I was completely unable to orgasm. I want to give it zero stars because of how much that affected me personally but it did help a lot with my depression and I was starting to feel more like myself."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on and off this medication for about 12 years now for my autonomic disorder, and it's been wonderful for me! I don't have a good reaction to Paxil, but Zoloft has worked great. I'm much less anxious, my symptoms have subsided, and I've even been able to come down on my dose recently. I don't recommend just coming off of it without talking to your doctor, because you can have some nasty side effects with that, and be warned that it takes between 15-30 days to fully take effect, so you have to be patient, but the results are great with little to no side effects!"

Skathlee (taken for 10 years or more) May 26, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on Zoloft due to depression and anxiety. I am an Army veteran who was diagnosed with GAD and mild to moderate depression. I have been on a variety of medications, however this one was hell. I couldn't concentrate, my insomnia was worse (I had to take melatonin in order to sleep), I was lightheaded almost everyday. The one thing I hate was being irritated easily were when it came to my family asking me questions, I just wanted to be violent."

ASchaufsa May 19, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medication saved my life. In 2015, my depression and anxiety were so horrible. I was sad and/or angry all the time and I was having 1-3 panic attacks a day. I've been suffering with depression since about 4th grade (I'm almost 21 now) but my anxiety didn't really get aggressive until I was a sophomore in high school. After I graduated is when it became a really big problem for me. I stopped taking Zoloft in 2015 after a few months because I lost my insurance. I got put back on it in May of 2016. It's been nearly a year and I'm a brand new person. Happier, funnier, more full of life, more excited about life, I feel incredible! I only have about 1 panic attack every 2-4 months and my mood is positive and amazing! So happy to have this"

megs11 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 12, 2017

46 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed Zoloft by my doctor to treat my depression/anxiety (small, 25mg dosage) and after about 4 days in I am experiencing all of the mild side effects including; insomnia, lack of appetite/motivation, foggy head, achiness and exhaustion. I'm 19 and around 125lb, was just wondering if anyone experienced anything similar? *aka is this normal and does it get better* (Note- it is more of a grieving depression due to the death of a parent. I believe my DR. said I'm going through some transition dilemma, so a low dosage is all I need)"

Mls82655 (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had a breakdown in November 2016, spent the winter suffering terribly with anxiety, depression, and insomnia. Was resistant to trying medication. Counsellor, psychiatrist, and 2 physicians finally convinced me I had bipolar 2, and put me on Trileptal. Slight improvement occurred but I still suffered. Finally things got so bad that I decided to give the Zoloft they had all been suggesting a try. Started at 25 mg and now have been on 50 mg for about 6 weeks. DEFINITE IMPROVEMENT. Wish I had started long before I did, having suffered way longer than necessary. No side effects for me thus far. Some breakthrough depression and anxiety, I handle these days with low dose klonipin. I am leaving the option of increasing Zoloft dose in autumn, for SAD"

Biophiliac (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am 42 years old never took AD drug before. My GF insisted that I should take it for my anger issues, nothing violent but bursting rage in a second, and feel depressed. Started to take the drug 6 months ago, for 2 weeks 50mg, after that 100 mg daily. Don't get me wrong but I don't feel any changes, my bursts are gone and depression like a normal person (daily problems thoughts). I am trying to say I feel normal :) I think it works"

krmzl May 7, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on 50 mg of Zoloft for 5 days. Believe it or not I feel a little better already. I got up this morning and cleaned my entire house. My mood is better with my kids and people around me. I'm not where I want to be but it's still early. My only complaint is severe gas. I can't seem to make it stop no matter what I try ( beano, gas x) but I'm gonna keep going for now. It feels good not having to fight with your own brain everyday to "try" to be or "act" happy. Good luck to everyone. :)"

Shawna Turnbough (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2017

48 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I wanna take the time out to thank who ever invented Zoloft. I use to be so depressed, I didn't want to be around my kids or my husband. I would tell my husband I was tired of existing. My life was turning inside out. So I knew I needed help so I talk to my doctor I explained to her what I was going through and she said Zoloft would be perfect. I didn't want to believe I needed meds but coming to find out it wasn't bad at all. I'm happy now my kids love to play with me and think I'm so cool!!! My husband who was so patient just loves all over me and he's proud I didn't give it. I'm only 28 yrs old and I feel like I'm a teen all over!!! Thanks Zoloft"

PrincessProsper April 30, 2017

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed Zoloft 25mg a day for Depression and Anxiety/panic attacks. I was also having severe insomnia at the time and really bad anger problems. From the first day I took Zoloft, my anger almost completely went away. I wasn't upset by things that normally annoyed me anymore. Another plus I noticed almost immediately was the lift in mood. I had great success raising my mood and lifting depression in the first few weeks of this drug. However I stopped taking Zoloft after 4 weeks because the negatives were far outweighing the positives. My insomnia and panic attacks got WAY worse, it was horrifying. I went to the ER because I had the worse panic of my life and thought I was dying. Sleep was impossible. Now I'm trying Remeron."

klee979 (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have Bipolar I with severe depressive episodes lasting up to 16 months. Zoloft was a last ditch effort to improve my depression; I was formerly on Luvox and found it too sedating and less effective after being on it for over a decade. So far, I have had 15 days without severe depression after being on Zoloft for one month. I think it's working. I am tired but I am not sure if that is the Zoloft or something else as I am on several medications for psychiatric problems."

Liz89 April 18, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on Zoloft for 7 months now and it has really improved my life. The first few weeks were absolutely BRUTAL. Couldn't focus, super dizzy, nausea, more depressed, etc. However, I stuck with it and after about a month, the depression started to get much better. Of course, I still have my days (who doesn't?) but I would highly recommend trying Zoloft if you can get through the first few weeks. It truly has changed my life for the better."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 10, 2017

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My original post was 10/2/16-had great results immediately on 50mg daily. I am able to hold down a full time job that I love, which was impossible prior to Zoloft. Rarely have anxiety anymore, my relationship with my husband has improved, and the constant "internal storm" is gone. At 51, I finally feel HAPPY!!! Keep trying everyone!"

AnneJay (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 5, 2017

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed Zoloft 10 years ago when I went through a very stressful experience and started having panic attacks & depression I found Zoloft to be fantastic; a true 'happy pill'! Within a month, life felt like living again, my panic attacks ceased, I was far better able to cope with my circumstances at the time, and I was able to stop taking it a few months later. I took it again a year later on the advice of a doctor, who suggested it for my chronic irritable bowel syndrome; unfortunately it did not work for this condition. However, I mistakenly stopped taking Zoloft suddenly instead of gradually reducing the dose, and began having severe hypnic jerks at night , which are a known side effect."

SandyKatz (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 27, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have tried several antidepressants, but nothing seemed to work. However, I started Zoloft about a week ago, and I am officially sold on it. It makes me feel more optimistic about life. I'm enjoying life more minus all of the worrying. I think it must be working because my 7 year old told my 10 year old that "mom's acting weird, she's being really nice","

Babydoll77 (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2017

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Gave one star to Zoloft for its effort, but really it deserves zero stars from my experience. I was on Remeron, then Cipralex (Lexapro for American users) for almost a year and when it stopped working I decided to go with Zoloft after reading good reviews. Zoloft slowly turned me into the worst version of myself. Constant anger, irritation, nausea, no appetite, no motivation, and man the heart burn was unreal. And the list goes on and on. I took it for a week at 25mg and 3 weeks at 50mg to give it a shot but I had to stop because I was just falling apart. I am currently on Effexor, its been almost a week and it is slowly putting me back together from the Zoloft disaster."

rsb19 (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2017

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"If you are scrolling through 1000's of reviews like I was, this one is for you. I started Zoloft three weeks ago for Major Depression and overwhelming anxiety and panic attacks. I started at 25mg for a week, then up to 50mg. Initially, I felt a million times worse, constant panic attacks, increase in suicidal intrusive thoughts, deep depression. But, after just 1 week at 50mg, I noticed a difference in mood, and it's been better and better since. Fight through the initial worsening of symptoms if you can! I asked for xanax to help me get through it. It definitely gets worse before it gets better for some people, but it was 100% worth it for me! I also had slight nausea, a sore neck, and some dizziness that all seem to be subsiding."

Babylady83 March 2, 2017

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was on lexapro 20mg one a day for year thought I would try something different Dr said try Zoloft 50 mg a day OMG what a mistake. First week bad dreams, rash, itchy, dizziness no sex drive etc. terrible not for me going back on lexapro."

Jerseyguy19 February 19, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Well I think that it has help with my anger. however not really my depression. People say I'm a lot better but I'm still down inside. Don't really know if there is a real cure for depression."

Zedy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 17, 2017

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My internist prescribed me 25mg of Zoloft daily as an alternative to Wellbutrin. The side effects were not worth the benefit for me. In the seven weeks I faithfully used the med I suffered from severe fatigue, inability to orgasm, weight gain, acne, and chest heaviness. As a thirty-something, in-shape mother of two, I have zero time for naps so, fatigue was not a livable option for me. I'm actually really surprised by the weight gain as I hit the gym daily. The pros of this medicine would be: my sweet tooth was non-existent. That's probably it."

DFWmom (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2017