User Reviews for Zoloft

Learn more about Zoloft.

Zoloft Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Zoloft to treat Depression

"I was prescribed Zoloft 25mg a day for Depression and Anxiety/panic attacks. I was also having severe insomnia at the time and really bad anger problems. From the first day I took Zoloft, my anger almost completely went away. I wasn't upset by things that normally annoyed me anymore. Another plus I noticed almost immediately was the lift in mood. I had great success raising my mood and lifting depression in the first few weeks of this drug. However I stopped taking Zoloft after 4 weeks because the negatives were far outweighing the positives. My insomnia and panic attacks got WAY worse, it was horrifying. I went to the ER because I had the worse panic of my life and thought I was dying. Sleep was impossible. Now I'm trying Remeron."

klee979 (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have Bipolar I with severe depressive episodes lasting up to 16 months. Zoloft was a last ditch effort to improve my depression; I was formerly on Luvox and found it too sedating and less effective after being on it for over a decade. So far, I have had 15 days without severe depression after being on Zoloft for one month. I think it's working. I am tired but I am not sure if that is the Zoloft or something else as I am on several medications for psychiatric problems."

Liz89 April 18, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on Zoloft for 7 months now and it has really improved my life. The first few weeks were absolutely BRUTAL. Couldn't focus, super dizzy, nausea, more depressed, etc. However, I stuck with it and after about a month, the depression started to get much better. Of course, I still have my days (who doesn't?) but I would highly recommend trying Zoloft if you can get through the first few weeks. It truly has changed my life for the better."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 10, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My original post was 10/2/16-had great results immediately on 50mg daily. I am able to hold down a full time job that I love, which was impossible prior to Zoloft. Rarely have anxiety anymore, my relationship with my husband has improved, and the constant "internal storm" is gone. At 51, I finally feel HAPPY!!! Keep trying everyone!"

AnneJay (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 5, 2017

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed Zoloft 10 years ago when I went through a very stressful experience and started having panic attacks & depression I found Zoloft to be fantastic; a true 'happy pill'! Within a month, life felt like living again, my panic attacks ceased, I was far better able to cope with my circumstances at the time, and I was able to stop taking it a few months later. I took it again a year later on the advice of a doctor, who suggested it for my chronic irritable bowel syndrome; unfortunately it did not work for this condition. However, I mistakenly stopped taking Zoloft suddenly instead of gradually reducing the dose, and began having severe hypnic jerks at night , which are a known side effect."

SandyKatz (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 27, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have tried several antidepressants, but nothing seemed to work. However, I started Zoloft about a week ago, and I am officially sold on it. It makes me feel more optimistic about life. I'm enjoying life more minus all of the worrying. I think it must be working because my 7 year old told my 10 year old that "mom's acting weird, she's being really nice","

Babydoll77 (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2017

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Gave one star to Zoloft for its effort, but really it deserves zero stars from my experience. I was on Remeron, then Cipralex (Lexapro for American users) for almost a year and when it stopped working I decided to go with Zoloft after reading good reviews. Zoloft slowly turned me into the worst version of myself. Constant anger, irritation, nausea, no appetite, no motivation, and man the heart burn was unreal. And the list goes on and on. I took it for a week at 25mg and 3 weeks at 50mg to give it a shot but I had to stop because I was just falling apart. I am currently on Effexor, its been almost a week and it is slowly putting me back together from the Zoloft disaster."

rsb19 (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"If you are scrolling through 1000's of reviews like I was, this one is for you. I started Zoloft three weeks ago for Major Depression and overwhelming anxiety and panic attacks. I started at 25mg for a week, then up to 50mg. Initially, I felt a million times worse, constant panic attacks, increase in suicidal intrusive thoughts, deep depression. But, after just 1 week at 50mg, I noticed a difference in mood, and it's been better and better since. Fight through the initial worsening of symptoms if you can! I asked for xanax to help me get through it. It definitely gets worse before it gets better for some people, but it was 100% worth it for me! I also had slight nausea, a sore neck, and some dizziness that all seem to be subsiding."

Babylady83 March 2, 2017

49 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was on lexapro 20mg one a day for year thought I would try something different Dr said try Zoloft 50 mg a day OMG what a mistake. First week bad dreams, rash, itchy, dizziness no sex drive etc. terrible not for me going back on lexapro."

Jerseyguy19 February 19, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Well I think that it has help with my anger. however not really my depression. People say I'm a lot better but I'm still down inside. Don't really know if there is a real cure for depression."

Zedy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 17, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My internist prescribed me 25mg of Zoloft daily as an alternative to Wellbutrin. The side effects were not worth the benefit for me. In the seven weeks I faithfully used the med I suffered from severe fatigue, inability to orgasm, weight gain, acne, and chest heaviness. As a thirty-something, in-shape mother of two, I have zero time for naps so, fatigue was not a livable option for me. I'm actually really surprised by the weight gain as I hit the gym daily. The pros of this medicine would be: my sweet tooth was non-existent. That's probably it."

DFWmom (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took Zoloft for depression and anxiety and was on it for about six months. It absolutely helped and I felt less anxious almost immediately. But I stopped taking it due to increasing negative side effects. I have learned through my journey that other people's experiences of these kinds of meds are no real indication of how it will be for you personally. But sometimes it helps to share. Just take everything with a grain of salt. Zoloft negatives: constant yawning, first three days you feel so unwell you think you'll never be ok again. Also, inability to have an orgasm, which lasted about three months and then I was fine. Serious vertigo that got so bad I had to stop taking it. Tried venlafaxine and Prozac with better results."

Mummy bear (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 13, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It's so difficult looking at reviews because so many are negative. I have moderate depression and generalized anxiety disorder. I started taking antidepressants pretty young maybe 6th or 7th grade. I took lexapro, Prozac, and something else before I got on Zoloft. I just recently got off Zoloft to see how I'd do without it and so far I've been okay. Anyways, Zoloft was practically a life saver for me. I'm not sure if I have experienced any of the side effects, but if I have they obviously didn't make much of a difference. This review is here to say don't be scared to take Zoloft it might be the perfect drug for ya!"

Happychick98 February 7, 2017

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took Zoloft consistently for about three months and it was the hardest three months of my life. It made my depression significantly worse. I thought if I stuck with it for a while it would eventually help me but it didn't. It did help with my anxiety though. As soon as I stopped taking any antidepressant my anxiety sky rocketed and I was able to beat my depression by finding God. I hope this helps whoever is reading this. Stay strong."

Ryan2224 February 6, 2017

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been all over the place in my head. It calms me down some but not a lot. Plus I've been gaining weight, I've been sick, headaches, itchy, and so much other stuff."

Princeskiki12139698 January 25, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After a little over two months taking 50mg of Zoloft, I feel happier, calmer, less anxious about things, I look forward to things again, I enjoy things I had forgotten I cared about, I laugh more, I enjoy sex more (when I am depressed my mind is on other things whenever I wanted to have sex). I sleep whole nights, I used to wake up in the middle of the night EVERY night, and stay awake for 1-2 hours before falling asleep again. I wish I had tried it sooner. Part of me wants to quit taking it now to see if I feel better still without the side effects (such as crazy vivid dreams, lower libido than when I am not depressed, yawning, etc.) but I think I am fooling myself. It is not perfect, but so much better than I could've hoped."

Nailbiter (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2017

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been searching for a medication for 10 years that would work. Thank goodness for this one. FINALLY"

Kings Mommy (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 18, 2017

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medicine has been a game changer for me. At first I was terrified of taking this drug. After reading Catholic Guide to Depression and much prayer I had the courage to take the medicine. I'm so glad I did. It actually reduced "body aches". I'm running again, 6 days a week. It's not a miracle pill, but a fantastic tool in defeating depression and body aches. Peace!"

Kim675123 January 10, 2017

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on this for 10'yrs now, obviously it works but at 100 mg dose, too much! I've cut back to 50 mg and I'm fine. On 100 mg I had a lot of weight gain, like 30 lbs. I've lost a lot of weight now on 50 mg. I probably should go off of it but doc says if it works can stay on it. I worry no long term studies on this drug, but so far seems okay. My brother told me it can cause brain cells to die of w/long term use, he read it in L.E.F. magazine. Don't know if true, but helps my depression & anxiety so much that its worth staying on. Be happy and healthy, find what works for you. Good luck! "

tawisn January 8, 2017

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Long story short I finally felt compelled to try anti depressants. I had experienced depression for a couple of years and had bouts of anxiety. Last straw were symptoms similar to bipolar disorder. Like mania. I had been so reluctant to try meds. But man I'm glad I did. I'm sad I didn't try them before. My life these couple years would have been so much better, less traumatic. I started 50 mg of sertraline in July. Right away I noticed my mood improved. I used to be short tempered. Now I am more patient. I stopped crying every two days out of frustration due to my sons tantrums or misbehaviour.( challenging toddler) or from feeling overwhelmed with house work. Little by little that fog of depression started to dissipate. I am happy now."

MayraP December 30, 2016

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I went psycho while on this medication. Ended up in a mental hospital. I couldn't control myself!"

The one to take down Zoloft (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 30, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed 50 mg to start, and went in with an open mind. After one day I decided it wasn't for me. Maybe 50 mg was too much for me, as I am sensitive to medicine? Anyways, I felt so miserable all day. My head was super foggy and I couldn't think clearly. I don't know how to describe other than just feeling so horrible and wanting to feel normal again. I couldn't do much of anything all day except lay on the floor or bed and feel miserable. I also experienced major TMJ jaw- I wasn't able to get my jaw to relax. I took a hot shower and almost fainted. It was hard for me to see how this would make me feel better ever, even though I know some people do have success with it. I just couldn't bring myself to take it again the next day."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 26, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Zoloft was the first anti-depressant I tried and it worked well enough that I stuck with it. The first 2-3 weeks were difficult. I found myself yawning constantly, extremely drowsy, having no appetite, nauseous when I DID eat, thinking about doom and death. But those were side effects that all eventually subsided. I feel a lot better because I have more control over my emotions and anxiety. I cry much less now and don't lie in bed at night thinking about suicide as much anymore. I went down in dosage from 75 mg because I felt a little too muted, like things that were REALLY supposed to bother me didn't, and the nausea on 75 mg really sucked. I was finding myself vomiting for no reason. 50 mg has been good to me the last 6 months."

reneexg December 22, 2016

45 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was recently giving this in addition to wellbutrin to help with anxiety and depression. I was to take 25 mg a day for 4 days then move up to 50. right off the bat I noticed that this made me tired but when I took the 50mg dose my stomach got upset and I threw up about an hour later. Slept a long time. I woke up and felt some of the worse depression I had felt in months. I felt extremely tired, no appetite, angry, no drive, foggy headed. I've never had any success with basic ssri's. I was prescribed this medication over 10 years ago. It was a failure then and it is a failure now. The only AD I can seem to tolerate is wellbutrin. I don't see the doc for a while until then I will be using other tools to combat my depression."

lethargic guy December 20, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Ugh - Taking this medicine was a big mistake. My Doctor's recommendation turned out to be a bad one. I'm currently 60 days in with and feel more anxious than before beginning zoloft. There were some days where i didn't obsess over stressful things in my life, but the bad very much out weighed the good. All day long at work i have been feeling like a nervous wreck. Also, know that it will destroy your sex life. My libido is non-existant as of now. This created even more anxiety and stress with the vicious circle of failure. This medicine just made me a frustrated mess. I'm going to look into wellbutrin and try and be hopeful. Don't waste your time "

cgesq November 29, 2016