User Reviews for Zoloft to treat Depression

Zoloft Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 209 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Zoloft

"I have taken a few antidepressants just looking for perfect fit. DO NOT TAKE ZOLOFT my side effects were so severe I have been out of work for 2 weeks. Prozac was probably the best. My experience was so bad that I now take 0 meds because of the ill effects. I can give you pointers on natural remedies."

Summer (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2019

"I have taken Zoloft for about 22 years. When the generic came out, Sertraline I was over joyed. At times did not have insurance, had to pay for Zoloft out of pocket. Very expressive. So when Sertraline came out on the market I switched right over. 3 months later my bubble burst. I felt like I wasn't taking anything. I felt very depressed. Had to go back to brand name and have been on it since. Please do not let anyone tell you it is the same medication. I have had arguments with Doctors and pharmacy workers. They insist its the same. If Sertraline was the same as Zoloft it should have worked the same. I tried it again, with the same results. The Doctor said to me we just have to adjust the dose. I told him where to go."

Mermaid (taken for 10 years or more) March 9, 2019

"Wouldn’t recommend this at all. It seemed like the first few days I didn’t really notice much except I would wake up in the mornings feeing slightly nauseous. Then about a month or so in I started getting tremors in my upper body and I could sense them coming on a few hours before waking up every single morning and I try so hard to just sleep through them. Then eventually I’ll toss and turn and no matter what position I sleep in it hurts my body. Then I’ll wake up to horrible pain in my back, neck and shoulders. This stuff is the worst. I wouldn’t take it ever again and I’m only on 25mg so I’m hoping to get off really soon!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2019

"Started with 50mg for 4 months but felt like it wasn't doing anything. Tried upping the side by another 25mg or 50mg and that is where the trouble began. Gastrointestinal discomfort to the point of not being able to chew solid foods. Paranoia which kept me house ridden. This went on for 2 long months before I finally tapered off. SSRIs are just not for me. Tried most of them with the same result."

Pocariboy (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 5, 2019

"I started taking Zoloft yesterday and after reading hundreds of reviews, I have to share my own experience. Don't listen to all of the negative reviews and give this drug a shot. No matter what you try, there is a chance it won't work and there will be side effects. Your best bet to getting better is to just TRY and give it time to see if it works for you. Last night I took my first pill and was waiting for the worst to happen after reading about the side effects. But all of a sudden, my bed became comfortable. Food had flavor. I started to smile and actually felt like talking to one of my friends. I willingly took a shower and I felt like singing and dancing. I felt completely sober and like myself... just without any of my depression or anxiety. I am facing some of the side effects, but that glimpse of what my life would be like without depression/anxiety gave me so much hope for this drug."

Boo January 8, 2019

"I've been taking zoloft for almost 5 years, but I also tried prozac before this and it didn't work. The main thing about zoloft is that it makes me feel a bit numb emotionally sometimes. I don't laugh as much as I used to or at things that should be funny. I'm generally happy overall, but it does get annoying sometimes"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 14, 2018

"I was placed on zoloft after being on citalopram for 3 years. I was on 25 mg Zoloft for about a week and bumped to 50mg for 21 days. Then bumped to 75 mg where I’ve been for 3 weeks. So about 7 weeks total. My anxiety is gone & I’m way more mellow. I had two job interviews and didn’t have any panic or meltdowns. So that’s great. I noticed I’m way more apathetic and that my libido is gone. I still have days where I’m empty feeling (even though I have tons of friends and family that I adore) and where I cry. I also feel very spacey at times. I function okay I think and I am able to take care of errands, the household, and my child. I may lower back down to 50mg if I continue to feel numb on 75 mg after 8 weeks. This medicine isn’t scary, don’t be afraid to try it. Please also remember that it takes months for it to start working and some people stop taking this medicine early before it could of begun to help."

Nicoleee (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 10, 2018

"I suffer from S.A.D., or seasonal affective disorder, depression and anxiety. All of my symptoms have increased as I've gotten older. Last year I took Lexapro, which was too numbing, affected my executive function, focus, short-term memory and libido in a bad way. This fall, I decided to be proactive and got on 50 mg of Zoloft. Completey life-changing experience! Side effects were nothing compared to Lexapro. Maybe 1 or 2 days of mild nausea, slight insomnia for the first 2 nights. Now at 5 weeks, I feel clear, happy, functional and optimistic. Libido intact. Takes a bit longer to orgasm but it's kind of amazing because it prolongs the intensity. Zoloft has truly changed my life for the better, hopefully it will continue to work-- will take it forever if possible!!! Wanted to leave this + review because there are so many negative ones out there, which don't paint an accurate picture of any drug. Negative experiences are always reported more than positive ones. :-)"

KGrrrrl (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2018

"I've been taking it for nearly 4 months now, for about the first month I experienced hypomania, which is fairly common to my understanding, then on my cycle I still felt a little depressed, so my doctor upped my dosage from 100mg a day to 150mg a day. After that change I was fairly manic and hyperactive all the time except the week of my cycle, during which I was "normal". My friends and family have noticed changes in me that neither them, nor I particularly like (zoning out, agitation, frequent dizziness, etc.) and more recently I have had semi emotional numbness/no motivation to do anything and have had elevated thoughts/actions of self harm and suicide (before this I hadn't self harmed for several years) and now I sometimes get into a headspace where I am thinking very irrationally, and don't consider consequences. My anxiety is still high, and at this point it doesn't seem to be helping my depression either. I plan to stop taking this."

ally (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 25, 2018

"First of all, I wanted to write this several years ago but somehow never got around to it. Zoloft has changed my life. I’ve struggled with depression and anxiety my whole life. In 2011 I finally started Zoloft. The first night I started my 25mg dose. The next morning I woke up and felt completely different. It was like a euphoric feeling. My body didn’t ache. I had more energy....fast forward 7 years. I still am using Zoloft and it has made me a better wife, more patient parent and overall less anxious and depressed."

Deedee (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 11, 2018

"My son had a k10 score of 31\50 and was prescribed 100mg Zoloft daily. He had a panic attack and killed himself. This is a known side effect of Zoloft and I blame it and a lack of active follow up by his doctor."

Juliaa (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2018

"Just take these reviews with a grain of salt. A lot of reviews after taking one day, couple weeks etc. you need a full three months for maximum effectiveness. Not that it takes that long to start getting relief. Side effects are common while your body adjusts. Some of them will go away. I had no troublesome side effects with Zoloft. I always have to start out gradually. Maybe even more than they say bc I’m sensitive to meds. I got big relief from depression. Panic attacks went away. OCD went away. The cons are it made me not very motivated, felt kind of numb to strong feelings. Not feeling urgency about my life. I wouldn’t take it again for years bc it blocked my clear perspective. But it was great to get me stabilized. Things that really help but can’t completely replace anti dep is fish oil, vit d, exercise, sunlight, folate like spinach , lentils really good. Also diet really helps. Get a book called the good mood diet. Best wishes"

Louann September 9, 2018

"When my doctor prescribed me Zoloft I was scared of the side effects and put off taking it for a few days. Now I could not be happier that I started taking it though. I have been on 50mg for almost 5 weeks and have not noticed any side effects.... my depression has gotten so much better. I wake up excited about the day and just feel generally happy and nothing feels so difficult anymore. I haven’t cried once since starting the medication whereas beforehand I was crying every day and all I wanted to do was lay in bed. My friends and family as well as myself have all noticed a huge difference in me. I’m so happy with my progress on Zoloft so far. I am hoping that it helps improve my general and social anxiety soon because I have not seen much of an improvement there but I know it can take 8 weeks. Definitely recommend this medication and don’t be scared to start taking it! The side effects are rare and it will be the best decision of your life."

Sarah (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2018

"Noticed I had symptoms of depression so I asked my doctor for a prescription to Zoloft. The first few weeks were good and I felt clearer in the head but still very anxious. It caused severe insomnia so I stopped taking it after my prescription ran out."

mrcakelord (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2018

"Terrible. Took it for a couple days at night instantly felt disoriented dizzy kind of like a drunk feeling started having vivid dreams ,my mouth was super dry, woke up the next day still feeling groggy had headaches can't say this medication is for me "

Mely (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2018

"First started taking it for PPD (postpartum depression) . Currently struggling with depression, PTSD and anxiety. Started off at low dosage and worked my way up. Worked good for a little while then stopped working for me."

Ht1990 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 10, 2018

"I'm a 31 year old Male who has had challenges with depression and anxiety throughout my life. I have been on several different meds in my past, including lexapro, paxil, effexor, wellbutrin, prozac, zoloft, and some others as well. Of all of these meds, I've found zoloft works the best for me. However the worst thing I experience with zoloft is decreased libido, as with all of the other meds I've tried, except for wellbutrin. This side effect truly sucks. Zoloft also kind of makes me feel robotic and emotionally numb. Currently I'm experimenting with another medication (viibryd) in attempt to find a med that works without having sexual side effects. However zoloft is my fallback option, because this med at least stabilizes me and helps function in society. Therefore I give this med a 7 out of 10. My advice to everyone is to keep being patient with meds and realize that it might take some time and trial and error. And always keep hanging in there no matter what. Good luck."

G August 7, 2018

"I was taking 50 mg of Zoloft for four weeks. I went to see my shrink and told her I was not better, but felt more depressed. I did feel less anxious. However, she doubled my dose. I don't even remember how I felt at first, I just know that exactly a week after starting this new dose, I began to have manic episodes. I did very impulsive things, I felt elated and euphoric, I then became agitated, which a few hours later resulted in a full blown panic attack. I have also had a manic episode today, where I was hallucinating. My heart was beating 100 miles a minute, I was shaking, my eyes seemed huge and sparkly, I was sitting on my bed rocking, and felt like I was in hell. I have gone between depressed and manic for three days now. I am not sure if I am bipolar or not. I called my doctor today but will not hear back for a few days. This drug is a full blown nightmare. Everyone reacts differently, but I am frightened. I almost called 911 twice in the past two days."

E July 28, 2018

"I have had quite a major depression, had suicidal thoughts and felt very tired and unhappy. I finally decided to get help and start medications, Zoloft was my first prescribed medication. It saved my life. After a few weeks I have started to feel differences, after a few months, I felt happy again! All my anxiety and negative thoughts were away. No side effects as well. Really recommend if you feel that there is nothing else you can do. Don't forget to work with a therapist meanwhile!"

Zolo (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2018

"Was on this for several years through highschool. I never felt much of a change. A bit foggy feeling. I didn't get as low as I would sometimes, though. Zoloft was just ok."

Max (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 2, 2018

"I absolutely hated this drug. I am a female and 21 years of age with borderline personality and depression. Lowers sex drive. Intercourse is severely painful. Intercourses is dry, causes stinging and burning sensations during and after sex. Almost impossible to orgasm. Only good thing about this drug is you don’t feel like a zombie on it. But if you love sex do not take this drug because you will end up hating sex after you experience the pain you acquire. I was close to tears almost every time after intercourses. I even tried lube and the pain is still consistent. "

Missy (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 30, 2018

"Good medicine helps anxiety and depression, was on higher dose but seemed to make me too tired and not care as much, lowered it to 50-75 mg and tad more anxiety but side effects down and much more like myself, maybe it’s true less is more"

Robyn132 June 28, 2018

"I've been taking 50mg for stress / adjustment disorder (ie not diagnoses depression / anxiety) and feel a lot better. The first week was tough (nausea, insomnia, feeling very, very low) and I did use temezapam to sleep due to the alertness. It's been 2 months and I use the stimulating effect to my advantage - if I take it at night I wake up at 6am WIDE AWAKE. It's so good! I don't feel drowsy and I don't wake up during the night. I also have noticed that I don't get breast tenderness with my periods anymore! Yay!"

Reja (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2018

"I wanted to share my experience to give people hope. Four months ago, I started having debilitating panic attacks almost daily, which then turned into a constant anxiety, not wanting to leave the house or do anything anymore, insomnia and the deepest depression I have ever known. I tried whatever I could to rid myself of it... meditation, therapy, self help books, diet, supplements. I had been very anti medication for myself. The first 3 days on Zoloft weren’t easy. I had insomnia, was shaky and felt agitated, zoning out and crying and crying. I am on day 4 now and I woke up this morning with the clearest mind. I haven’t felt like this in as long as I can remember. I feel so positive. I know it’s only early days but this gives me enormous hope. I am increasing my dose and pushing through any side effects. Don’t suffer endlessly as I have."

Anon June 13, 2018

"I had a difficult time on this medication. I was given 25mg for depression and anxiety. I have bipolar disorder but due to perimeno my depression and anxiety have become extremely horrible. I am sensitive to medication and took only half (12.5mg) of a pill to start. Within 30 minutes I was so amped up I could not stop talking or sit still. I had a headache, electric feeling through my whole body, dizziness, muscle cramps and sweating. About four hours in, after trying to eat, I got hives and really itchy. When I went to bed I stayed somewhere between awake and sleeping mixed with anxiety and nightmares. The next day I felt sore and exhausted and fuzzy headed. I will say I was not depressed or suicidal but obviously I had a bad reaction. I won’t be taking another one which is a shame. It took me a month to try it due to being afraid of taking an antidepressant because of possible side effects. Hopefully this med can help someone else."

yveseclipse (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2018