User Reviews for Zoloft

Zoloft Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 218 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Zoloft to treat Depression

"I wanted to share my experience to give people hope. Four months ago, I started having debilitating panic attacks almost daily, which then turned into a constant anxiety, not wanting to leave the house or do anything anymore, insomnia and the deepest depression I have ever known. I tried whatever I could to rid myself of it... meditation, therapy, self help books, diet, supplements. I had been very anti medication for myself. The first 3 days on Zoloft weren’t easy. I had insomnia, was shaky and felt agitated, zoning out and crying and crying. I am on day 4 now and I woke up this morning with the clearest mind. I haven’t felt like this in as long as I can remember. I feel so positive. I know it’s only early days but this gives me enormous hope. I am increasing my dose and pushing through any side effects. Don’t suffer endlessly as I have."

Anon June 13, 2018

"I had a difficult time on this medication. I was given 25mg for depression and anxiety. I have bipolar disorder but due to perimeno my depression and anxiety have become extremely horrible. I am sensitive to medication and took only half (12.5mg) of a pill to start. Within 30 minutes I was so amped up I could not stop talking or sit still. I had a headache, electric feeling through my whole body, dizziness, muscle cramps and sweating. About four hours in, after trying to eat, I got hives and really itchy. When I went to bed I stayed somewhere between awake and sleeping mixed with anxiety and nightmares. The next day I felt sore and exhausted and fuzzy headed. I will say I was not depressed or suicidal but obviously I had a bad reaction. I won’t be taking another one which is a shame. It took me a month to try it due to being afraid of taking an antidepressant because of possible side effects. Hopefully this med can help someone else."

yveseclipse (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2018

"I’ve been taking Zoloft for around 3 weeks now, first day was fine no side effects or anything. Everything hit me on the second day with nausea, migraine, dizziness, loss of sleep and my mood being lower than ever before. I started taking it for my severe anxiety and depression but since getting side effects my anxiety has been worse because I’m scared of feeling sick when I’m not at home. After 2 weeks of taking 25mg my doctor told me to increase to 50mg. It’s been 4 days on the 50mg and I’m still having side effects. I’ve had to miss nearly 3 weeks of school because I feel so sick and I can barely get out of my house, which is a big problem because I’m in high school and my exams are coming up in a couple of weeks, but I’ve missed so much school. Hopefully going back to my doctor soon to see if there is anything I can do, this medicine will work differently for everyone though."

Madi j May 15, 2018

"I was put on 50mg per day in 2015-16. It made me extremely wired and anxious at first but then improved my depression although with regular insomnia. I have been on 25mg per day during 2017-18 and this is a far better dose, I feel normal/happy/functional and usually sleep well. On occasional days when I am fatigued and have a "brain shutdown" due to low serotonin (sometimes stress, sometimes hormonal) I am allowed to take an extra 25mg which brings me back to functional within 30-60 min after taking. If you are struggling with the overstimulation and jitters on 50mg I recommend trying 25mg as it makes a massive difference for me. I also do slow yin yoga relaxing poses with deep breathing twice a day for 15-30 min."

Rachel (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 5, 2018

"I was on Zoloft for a year. I believe that it helped me get past the rough parts I was struggling with and gain control of my life, but I do like to warn people about stopping cold turkey because I had to go to a hospital because of the side effects. I was having racing thoughts and focusing on things for those ideas I had. I decided to stop because I started to feel like I didn't care about the things I was most passionate about. All I know is I didn't feel like me. I'm not hating on this drug because it did help me when I needed it to but it did scare me when I quit like I did. I hope you the best and talk about it with a doctor. Thanks. Much luck to ya. Heidi C."

Heidikans April 27, 2018

"I started taking this for anxiety mostly, but also a little depression. I started out at 25mg for a week and then 50mg and 100mg and 150mg and then 200mg over a 6 month period and have been there for 5 weeks. I think the medication helps, but you have to do more to really get back to normal. The drug helps keep more serotonin in your brain from what’s already in your body. You have to do more to really increase the serotonin levels in your body and your brain. Exercising helps for sure, but I finally figured out that caffeine and alcohol weren’t helping and had to mostly eliminate consumption of those. I read where they actually deplete your serotonin. Recently the drug really helped change my thought process, which was really warped by the anxiety/depression. It’s amazing how they can really alter your perception of reality. Just started taking GABA as well because you can be deficient in that also, which causes anxiety. Also omega 3. You can try tryptophan and 5-htp too."

JC April 18, 2018

"Loved the mood on this drug...hated the side effects. Thought I was just getting older, but I had constant inexplicable headaches every single day for months. Also had excruciating back pain that ended up being my gallbladder and severe changes to my menstrual cycle. I didn't put 2 and 2 together until I stopped the drug. Suddenly everything normalized. My advice: if you have weird things happening to you but they aren't listed as classic "side effects"--listen to your body!!"

Anonymous April 3, 2018

"I had been struggling with grief, PTSD and stress. I told my doctor how I feel, and that I see a therapist. I grind my teeth, generally not myself lately. I am naturally active motivated individual. I am now on Zoloft, Dr said it's to stabilize my mood. I have been taking it for about a week. Dr said it takes up to 3 weeks to kick in. So far I feel more alert, better attention and a bit insomnia and sleep cycle disturbance. It feels weird, I never took antidepressants before. I am so used doing things in stress that it feels unnatural to feel so balanced lol. It kills the edge of stress but a bit counterproductive because stress was my fuel before, but not grief. I plan to take it until I get over my issues and get off of it. I never thought I will depend on medication, but can't stand my neck pain due to stress. Now is tolerable. I will keep taking it."

Epsh March 17, 2018

"I have been taking the drug for 2 months @ 50 mg. I had increased anxiety for about 2 weeks when I first started and then all the side effects disappeared. I'm much more calm and able to deal with the enormous amount of stress I'm under with a calm, clear head. I feel like it is easier to communicate my thoughts and that I do not have as many emotional swings during the day. I highly recommend zoloft to anyone looking for something to get them through a tough time."

Happiernow (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2018

"I was put on zoloft after seeing no success on prozac. I was on 100mgs of zoloft a day for a little over 2 months and experienced no side effects, change of mood, or really any influence at all."

grass (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2018

"I had depression for years but didn't seek help. After I gave birth, it got worse. I went to the doctor the first time and she said it was PostPartum Depression, she didn't prescribe me anything. After a while, it was only becoming worse. So I went back and then she said I had a Deep Depression and she prescribed me Zoloft and also sent me to a psychiatrist. The side effects of the Zoloft made my life a living hell! I got insomnia, I started to shake uncontrallably, I started to have major anger issues. It was just too much for me, so when I went to the psychiatrist, he evaluated me and said I had Chronic Depression and changed my medications to Paroxetine. The side effects where much less but still the depression wasn't getting any better. After being on medication for 4 months, I stopped all medications on my own. I made some changes in my life. That was the best decision I could have made. Now I have been 8 months without taking any medications, my life couldn't be any better."

Kimy266 February 19, 2018

"I know medications affect everyone differently - but I have been Zoloft free for 1 week after taking it for approx. 6 months (Post lexapro 1 month)... and I feel better than I have in a long, long time. I am suddenly satisfied, grateful for things in my life. The anxiety is there but I’ve felt genuinely happy for the first time in too long."

Sofia_196 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 19, 2018

"I started Zoloft Feb 2, 2018 it helped a lot with my anxiety!! At first I was super anxious for a couple of days. I had insomnia due to anxiety still can't sleep with Zoloft, I feel really tired during the day! I still feel waves of depression. I'm still new to it so hopefully it'll helps more in a few weeks. I Also see a therapist and meditate! I workout when I can to boost my mood."

Queenz February 16, 2018

"I’m more social than before. However, I still have severe lows (crying, suicidal thoughts). I have issues sleeping. I also have urinary retention. I like that it made me feel more cheerful sometimes, but in the end it didn’t help enough and caused too many side effects. I’m going to try something else."

Lillie C. (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2018

"I was put on 50mg of Zoloft for depression, anxiety, and panic. By the third day my anxiety and depression were both outrageous, I couldn’t eat or sleep, and I was vomiting. I ended up losing so much weight and having such advanced anxiety symptoms that I ended up in the ER. That was the worst I’ve ever felt in my life. I had to stop taking it immediately. This is the worst medication I’ve ever been on. But even with my harsh critique people still have to realize that medications work differently for everyone. This was horrible for me but there’s plenty of other people that have had success with it so keep an open mind. Depression and anxiety are absolutely terrible but please don’t give up until you find something that works."

Ekate6 January 23, 2018

"Start with this medicine few days ago, so far I feel good, relax. The only side effect is dry mouth and thristy all day. Can deal with stress very well now."

Liz2018 January 19, 2018

"This medication has not helped me in any form. I lost a lot of my appetite, and slept all the time, and was still tired. My depression worsened on Zoloft. I do not recommend Zoloft for depression."

Just a person. January 16, 2018

"I was prescribed 50mg by my GP. 1st day felt like I was on speed lots of energy, jittery. 2nd day I felt neutral, anxious. 3rd and last day of taking, I woke up in the middle of the night with suicidal thoughts which was very overwhelming and scary. Also lost appetite and 2kg in just 3 days. Terrible stuff."

Guy57664 (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2018

"Took 150 mg for 2 years...helped a lot but always tired and lack of motivation...dropped to 100 mg and motivation is better...but tad more anxiety but I guess it’s better to be on the lowest possible dose for less side effects and dependency"

Quincypondex1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 7, 2018

"Works great although I have spontaneous erections. This is very embarrassing for me"

Jonboy123 January 5, 2018

"I started this medicine for depression and anxiety. Every medicine works different on everyone but this medicine altered my life completely and not in a good way. I turned into a person who wasn’t me, I lost friends from my changed personality, ruined relationships, went from 130lb to 160 pounds in just three months. I cried and was more suicidal and sad then I’ve ever been. People would always tell me “what happened to the old you”. I didn’t know and went to my doctor and was quickly switched off and went onto a different medication and getting off of it was the best thing. My personality went back to the old me and I regained my relationship and friendships back and I lost almost all the weight I gained. Zoloft wasn’t for me personally"

Anonymous December 21, 2017

"This drug changed my life. I was really struggling my sophomore year of high school to the point where I couldn't leave my house. I'd struggled with anxiety my whole life but it got so bad I was paralyzed by it, leading me into an episode of depression. I started therapy over the winter break and almost immediately was prescribed Zoloft. I gained some weight at first but my mood steadily began to improve. I stopped wanting to self harm and I stopped fantasizing about suicide within a month. It fixed my inner clock as well, as I started being tired at normal times. This was difficult at first but beneficial in the long run."

ali78 December 19, 2017

"I was on Cipralex for 3 years and it destroyed my life. I lost 3 years of my life leaving school and doing nothing but sit at home worthless. Then I switched to Zoloft, I felt better on Zoloft but still the same complaint of being a “zombie”. I have never felt it is me for the past 10 years. I had tried getting off these drugs so many times but everytime I do it I feel better for the first few months then I collapse, again. It is very hard to be on them, and to be off them at the same time. My advice for you is to try them at last. Never start with antidepressants. Thank you and good luck."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) December 9, 2017

"I was prescribed this a couple of months ago for severe anxiety and postpartum depression after an ectopic pregnancy. I felt euphoric for the first few days, and was literally awake for over 48 hours straight. But after the initial side effects wore off I was so thankful for this meditation. I was always against antidepressants and believed I could just 'get over it' with my mind...but after losing the baby my anxiety was through the roof and I couldn't function like a normal person. I'd come home from work and hide in my room away from my family, I avoided leaving the house unless I absolutely had to, I'd spend all day exhausting myself. I now feel more like myself than I have in years."

KatieQ (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2017

"This med helps me depression so much! I have severe depression and anxiety and it helps with everything - the sadness, irritability, anxiety, social anxiety, you name it. Unfortunately it causes major weight gain. I mean, I gained 40 lbs in a few months so I weaned off of it, lost the weight with no lifestyle changes. Tried other meds but nothing worked as well so I have it another try. Again, weight gain. No lifestyle changes and gained 70lbs in 4 months. Repeat weaning. Repeat weight loss. Became suicidal. Had to go back on the med. remained on it for 9 years gained 150 lbs and remained stable there. Recently went off again and I'm trying to find another med because I can't handle obesity but can't find another med that works as well!"

Depressedmomof1 October 10, 2017