User Reviews for Zoloft

Learn more about Zoloft.

Zoloft Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 220 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Zoloft to treat Depression

"Was on lexapro 20mg one a day for year thought I would try something different Dr said try Zoloft 50 mg a day OMG what a mistake. First week bad dreams, rash, itchy, dizziness no sex drive etc. terrible not for me going back on lexapro."

Jerseyguy19 February 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Well I think that it has help with my anger. however not really my depression. People say I'm a lot better but I'm still down inside. Don't really know if there is a real cure for depression."

Zedy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 17, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"My internist prescribed me 25mg of Zoloft daily as an alternative to Wellbutrin. The side effects were not worth the benefit for me. In the seven weeks I faithfully used the med I suffered from severe fatigue, inability to orgasm, weight gain, acne, and chest heaviness. As a thirty-something, in-shape mother of two, I have zero time for naps so, fatigue was not a livable option for me. I'm actually really surprised by the weight gain as I hit the gym daily. The pros of this medicine would be: my sweet tooth was non-existent. That's probably it."

DFWmom (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Took Zoloft for depression and anxiety and was on it for about six months. It absolutely helped and I felt less anxious almost immediately. But I stopped taking it due to increasing negative side effects. I have learned through my journey that other people's experiences of these kinds of meds are no real indication of how it will be for you personally. But sometimes it helps to share. Just take everything with a grain of salt. Zoloft negatives: constant yawning, first three days you feel so unwell you think you'll never be ok again. Also, inability to have an orgasm, which lasted about three months and then I was fine. Serious vertigo that got so bad I had to stop taking it. Tried venlafaxine and Prozac with better results."

Mummy bear (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 13, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"It's so difficult looking at reviews because so many are negative. I have moderate depression and generalized anxiety disorder. I started taking antidepressants pretty young maybe 6th or 7th grade. I took lexapro, Prozac, and something else before I got on Zoloft. I just recently got off Zoloft to see how I'd do without it and so far I've been okay. Anyways, Zoloft was practically a life saver for me. I'm not sure if I have experienced any of the side effects, but if I have they obviously didn't make much of a difference. This review is here to say don't be scared to take Zoloft it might be the perfect drug for ya!"

Happychick98 February 7, 2017

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I took Zoloft consistently for about three months and it was the hardest three months of my life. It made my depression significantly worse. I thought if I stuck with it for a while it would eventually help me but it didn't. It did help with my anxiety though. As soon as I stopped taking any antidepressant my anxiety sky rocketed and I was able to beat my depression by finding God. I hope this helps whoever is reading this. Stay strong."

Ryan2224 February 6, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've been all over the place in my head. It calms me down some but not a lot. Plus I've been gaining weight, I've been sick, headaches, itchy, and so much other stuff."

Princeskiki12139698 January 25, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"After a little over two months taking 50mg of Zoloft, I feel happier, calmer, less anxious about things, I look forward to things again, I enjoy things I had forgotten I cared about, I laugh more, I enjoy sex more (when I am depressed my mind is on other things whenever I wanted to have sex). I sleep whole nights, I used to wake up in the middle of the night EVERY night, and stay awake for 1-2 hours before falling asleep again. I wish I had tried it sooner. Part of me wants to quit taking it now to see if I feel better still without the side effects (such as crazy vivid dreams, lower libido than when I am not depressed, yawning, etc.) but I think I am fooling myself. It is not perfect, but so much better than I could've hoped."

Nailbiter (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2017

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been searching for a medication for 10 years that would work. Thank goodness for this one. FINALLY"

Kings Mommy (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This medicine has been a game changer for me. At first I was terrified of taking this drug. After reading Catholic Guide to Depression and much prayer I had the courage to take the medicine. I'm so glad I did. It actually reduced "body aches". I'm running again, 6 days a week. It's not a miracle pill, but a fantastic tool in defeating depression and body aches. Peace!"

Kim675123 January 10, 2017

47 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've been on this for 10'yrs now, obviously it works but at 100 mg dose, too much! I've cut back to 50 mg and I'm fine. On 100 mg I had a lot of weight gain, like 30 lbs. I've lost a lot of weight now on 50 mg. I probably should go off of it but doc says if it works can stay on it. I worry no long term studies on this drug, but so far seems okay. My brother told me it can cause brain cells to die of w/long term use, he read it in L.E.F. magazine. Don't know if true, but helps my depression & anxiety so much that its worth staying on. Be happy and healthy, find what works for you. Good luck! "

tawisn January 8, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Long story short I finally felt compelled to try anti depressants. I had experienced depression for a couple of years and had bouts of anxiety. Last straw were symptoms similar to bipolar disorder. Like mania. I had been so reluctant to try meds. But man I'm glad I did. I'm sad I didn't try them before. My life these couple years would have been so much better, less traumatic. I started 50 mg of sertraline in July. Right away I noticed my mood improved. I used to be short tempered. Now I am more patient. I stopped crying every two days out of frustration due to my sons tantrums or misbehaviour.( challenging toddler) or from feeling overwhelmed with house work. Little by little that fog of depression started to dissipate. I am happy now."

MayraP December 30, 2016

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I went psycho while on this medication. Ended up in a mental hospital. I couldn't control myself!"

The one to take down Zoloft (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 30, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was prescribed 50 mg to start, and went in with an open mind. After one day I decided it wasn't for me. Maybe 50 mg was too much for me, as I am sensitive to medicine? Anyways, I felt so miserable all day. My head was super foggy and I couldn't think clearly. I don't know how to describe other than just feeling so horrible and wanting to feel normal again. I couldn't do much of anything all day except lay on the floor or bed and feel miserable. I also experienced major TMJ jaw- I wasn't able to get my jaw to relax. I took a hot shower and almost fainted. It was hard for me to see how this would make me feel better ever, even though I know some people do have success with it. I just couldn't bring myself to take it again the next day."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 26, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Zoloft was the first anti-depressant I tried and it worked well enough that I stuck with it. The first 2-3 weeks were difficult. I found myself yawning constantly, extremely drowsy, having no appetite, nauseous when I DID eat, thinking about doom and death. But those were side effects that all eventually subsided. I feel a lot better because I have more control over my emotions and anxiety. I cry much less now and don't lie in bed at night thinking about suicide as much anymore. I went down in dosage from 75 mg because I felt a little too muted, like things that were REALLY supposed to bother me didn't, and the nausea on 75 mg really sucked. I was finding myself vomiting for no reason. 50 mg has been good to me the last 6 months."

reneexg December 22, 2016

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was recently giving this in addition to wellbutrin to help with anxiety and depression. I was to take 25 mg a day for 4 days then move up to 50. right off the bat I noticed that this made me tired but when I took the 50mg dose my stomach got upset and I threw up about an hour later. Slept a long time. I woke up and felt some of the worse depression I had felt in months. I felt extremely tired, no appetite, angry, no drive, foggy headed. I've never had any success with basic ssri's. I was prescribed this medication over 10 years ago. It was a failure then and it is a failure now. The only AD I can seem to tolerate is wellbutrin. I don't see the doc for a while until then I will be using other tools to combat my depression."

lethargic guy December 20, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Ugh - Taking this medicine was a big mistake. My Doctor's recommendation turned out to be a bad one. I'm currently 60 days in with and feel more anxious than before beginning zoloft. There were some days where i didn't obsess over stressful things in my life, but the bad very much out weighed the good. All day long at work i have been feeling like a nervous wreck. Also, know that it will destroy your sex life. My libido is non-existant as of now. This created even more anxiety and stress with the vicious circle of failure. This medicine just made me a frustrated mess. I'm going to look into wellbutrin and try and be hopeful. Don't waste your time "

cgesq November 29, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Horrible medication ,did not help with my depression at all made my anxiety worst"

detour12 November 24, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was very very bad at one point with my anxieyy and depression and the OCD, they were all working together against me, the horrible disgusting thoughts from the OCD was driving me into constant panic attacks and anxiety through the roof! Which drove me to stay in doors and avoid triggers which then pushed me into a deep deep depression, I've been on zoloft now for about 6 months on a low dose of of 50mg, and I feel much better! I was able to go out and get a job which I am excelling at and got three raises in 4 months! I have felt a bit of the anxiety and ocd poking out once in a while but I may need to raise the dose but over all this med had changed my life so far, if you are in a rut and are down don't give up you can regain your life back!"

severe depression, OCD, anxity (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 19, 2016

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Been on Zoloft 50 mg for 3 weeks and I'm starting to feel like myself again. I have MDD, ADD, anxiety, panic attacks and insomnia but since taking this medication I am sleeping again and waking up without my alarm which has never happened. I was a little sick for the first few days however it passed. My panic attacks are almost gone. My doctor agreed to increase my dosage to 100 mg to see if I can get a little better I'm almost where I want to be but my negative emotions have subsided tremendously. I know this road is hard for all of us but don't give up. Remember the chemical make up in your brain changes overtime, so when something stops working seek help. Best regards!"

KingLovelees (taken for less than 1 month) November 19, 2016

53 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've only been on 50mg Zoloft for about a week and I feel like I'm in a way better mood at times and haven't felt as depressed as I was before taking it. However I've lost a lot of sleep because of it, lost my appetite, getting confused at times, and absolutely no libido even if I tried. At times I feel like a complete zombie and it gets difficult trying to work because I feel so numb. I also feel a lot slower mentally but that may be because of lack of sleep.Before zoloft I was having a suicidal thought every other day and cutting myself almost everyday and now of zoloft I am NOT thinking of hurting myself and 1 suicidal thought in a week. I've been a lot happier on this medication."

supahotfire November 16, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"So far, so good. My initial side effects were insomnia (randomly waking up at 3 or 4 am), followed by heavy drowsiness, and some random bouts of nausea. This was all within first week. I'm on my third week and that's all subsided. I've actually been content with food. Normally I am obsessed with eating, am never satisfied, but lately my relationship with food has become a little more laissez-faire. I am generally feeling happy and my fianc"

Feeefeee November 16, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I switched from Pristiq which was keeping me up at night. My initial dose was 50 mg. it was hell the first week: crying spells panick attacks but my doc promised it will improve. After I bumped it up to 100 mg the hell got worse; panick attacks& anxiety were unbearable but I kept telling myself to stick with it. So, I did until the end of week 2 on higher dose when I was hospitalized with seizures due to serotonin syndrome. Still taking Ativan 1 mg every 5-6 hours for seizures. Not a good experience."

Russakat15 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 14, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've been in Zoloft for 2 months for depression, anxiety. The reason I don't give it top grades is because I don't have anything else to compare it to. Started 1 week on 25mg and then moved to 50mg the first two/three weeks the side effects were the same people describe, headache, tiredness, stomach issues, death thoughts, lack of appetite, after that the first sign was no more tears, less anxiety for eating my emotions went away, social anxiety too, fear & death gone too. Calmness, ability to focus on the now, lower PMS, ability to focus & interact. Some days are still hard but takes less for me to cope with them. I didn't know life could feel this way. (Side effects Lower sex drive & return of big appetite and weight gain)"

Twigtotree November 5, 2016

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This medication worked wonderful for me. Totally changed my negative and depressed attitude about life. The only down side is some weight gain and very low Libido! My Doctor is actually switching me to Viibryd because of these side effects. Very scared to change medications when this one worked so well for me!"

Mindy M November 2, 2016