User Reviews for Zoloft

Learn more about Zoloft.

Zoloft Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Zoloft to treat Depression

"This med helps me depression so much! I have severe depression and anxiety and it helps with everything - the sadness, irritability, anxiety, social anxiety, you name it. Unfortunately it causes major weight gain. I mean, I gained 40 lbs in a few months so I weaned off of it, lost the weight with no lifestyle changes. Tried other meds but nothing worked as well so I have it another try. Again, weight gain. No lifestyle changes and gained 70lbs in 4 months. Repeat weaning. Repeat weight loss. Became suicidal. Had to go back on the med. remained on it for 9 years gained 150 lbs and remained stable there. Recently went off again and I'm trying to find another med because I can't handle obesity but can't find another med that works as well!"

Depressedmomof1 October 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"MOTIVATION MONDAY: to the lovely folks just like me who spend hours searching online forums looking for something to give you hope. I understand. I want to share what I've learned. When I was in my darkest place I would read reviews about meds not working or awful side effects. I was convinced no medication would work for me because of this. BUT this one did! Please know, there is a light at the end of the tunnel! ALWAYS. You are not alone. You are not crazy. Don't give up. You'll be feeling normal again before you know it. This too shall pass!"

Thistooshallpassxo (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on Zoloft for about 3 years when I was a teenager. It tremendously helped my depression. There were side effects however. My doctor told me that it metabolized slowly and takes a few weeks to notice results.. so in my ignorance, I thought that that's how long it takes the body to metabolize the stuff. For at least a year there would frequently be times where I'd forget to take my pill in the morning.. sometimes for a few days in a row. So when I remembered that I should take it, I would take 2,3, or even 4 of them to make up for days where I skipped. Like I said, this is only due to my own stupidity. I would end up being awake ALL night long.. completely stung out and not knowing why. I developed Insomnia and pretty much went crazy."

justsomedude89898 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Well I went to my Doctor and asked for medication for general anxiety and depression. I was prescribed Zoloft. I took it with a meal and about two how's later, I felt like I was having a heart attack as I had chest pain, racing Pulse and palpitations. And I took my Blood Pressure and it was 140/90, Pulse 110. My usual Blood Pressure is 106/70, pulse 75. After about 6 hours, I began to feel OK again thank goodness. I will not be taking this medicine ever again. Going good back to my Doctor and asking for another medicine."

Loves to read (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Zoloft for years now and love it this medicine saved my life before I started taking Zoloft I was a mess!!! depressed and angry all the time I finally after several years decided I'd had enough I told my therapist I wanted an antidepressant I was going to call the doctor myself but she called the doctor. Honestly I remember a girl I met when I was in college who told me I needed help and to go home for the weekend however, I was reluctant to get help only because my parents felt that at the time antidepressants weren't that safe. I must say she was right I feel so much better not a lot of side effects sometimes I get diarrhea from it but mostly it works"

Carwash August 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took Zoloft (generic) shortly after my anxiety got horribly severe. I took lexapro a few years ago but didn't like the sexual side effects. Doctor put me on Prozac but that appeared to put me into a deep depression. I had never had depression, just anxiety but I couldn't get out of bed I was just paralyzed. After a few weeks of that I decided to try Zoloft. Within the first three weeks I felt tremendously better. By 6 weeks I felt totally back to normal and NO sexual side effects! This has been my miracle drug"

Abbeyjd (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I didn't realize it at the time but this stuff really did literally make me bipolar! I never considered myself bipolar before this medication. It made me not be able to sleep for days at a time, made my normal moods worse at times, and just over all set off mental conditions that I don't normally have issue's with, and at the time I didn't see or understand that, now."

5150Aries (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Got prescribed Zoloft after my 20 year relationship ended after my ex husband became addicted to meth. I was very depressed and couldn't control my thoughts about the situation, I had a hard time sleeping, zoning out, focusing, and adjusting to my normal everyday life. I started on 25 mg for about 3 weeks then increased to 50 mg. I've been on 50mg for a couple months and feel so much better. I can focus on my life again and never break down crying anymore etc. I had no side effects besides loose stool here and there. I like how there were no real side effects for me and it did what I was seeking. I would recommend to try Zoloft before other medications. I will not increase my dosage."

40 year old F (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Didn't do a dang thing ! I took it like I was told to, and I waited & waited & waited some more! After a few months of not feeling any difference, or any better at all I quit taking it."

Brene July 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"20 year old college student. I've had OCD since I was a kid (depression since junior year of high school) but only within the last year did I make the choice to take an SSRI. There's a lot of ambiguity surrounding antidepressants, and you can't really extract much from reviews without feeling reluctant. Yes, there are side effects that appear within the early stages. It is scary to ingest a drug you know little about. However, I can feel happy again, which I thought I had lost the ability to do. I don't believe everything is hopeless, which I, truthfully, thought I'd feel the rest of my life. It's been a lifesaver, and at 100mg, nothing feels inherently different about myself. It's just a tablet. Don't let it be more than it ought to be."

Ruhrohraggy34 July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on Zoloft for about 8 years for severe generalized anxiety disorder and major depressive disorder. I was eventually maxed out (200mg) and I felt awful. I couldn't feel emotions at all, it was almost like depression but less hopeless. I felt like a zombie. Or a robot. I also had pretty severe sexual side effects as well. Got taken off, and I feel like a real human again. I'm on Wellbutrin now."

ClearlyOdd July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on this medication for about 2 months and it was an awful experience. I started out on 25mg and I couldn't really feel any emotions, so they increased the dosage to 50mg. I started feeling worse, so I was told to increase the dosage again. Once I got to 75mg, I started becoming angry, even more anxious than I was before, I had an out-of-body experience, and I was becoming incredibly impulsive. After trying another anti-depressant and failing, it is believed that I have a mood disorder and was placed on mood stabilizers."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The first 2 weeks on Zoloft were like hell. I was drowsy, had nightmares and my stomach was a mess. I've been taking 75mg for 3 month now and I feel like a new person . I'm mellow , easy to deal with and satisfied"

Kati27c (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"20 y/o female, prescribed 50mg for major depressive disorder, social anxiety, and just overall generalized anxiety. Been on 50mg for 3 months now. Side effects were minor which consisted of insomnia, loss of appetite, and nausea.. though they subsided within the first few weeks and I now experience none. I love Zoloft! I can live again! I'm laughing and going out with friends, not laying in bed all day. I can finally breath, my surroundings seem so much brighter, I don't harbor hate anymore, I'm me again...More ambitious and creative like I was before I fell into this self destructive path of depression two years ago. I no longer have the desire to self medicate with drugs and alcohol. I wish I got on Zoloft a long time ago."

Kitten.666 June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started Zoloft after being on citalopram. Citalopram worked the best for me but due to my age, my GP wouldn't raise the dose after 25mg stopped helping. I've been on Zoloft since around February or so and it's increased my anxiety dramatically. To the point that I can't sleep and I'm writing this at 4:49am. I also noticed I started to struggle with death anxiety A LOT which I hadn't had problems with in the past. I am still taking Zoloft but will hopefully be changing medication in the next few weeks."

Kjemma (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've taken Zoloft for several years: once to help with OCD when I was younger and more recently to help with depression. Overall I definitely experienced less crying and general hopelessness on Zoloft. I still had my bad days but in general it's manageable. The biggest side effect was the weight gain. I gained about 20 lbs in a year. I also felt like I sweat easier on this medication, especially my palms. This was pretty minor though. I'm switching to another medication due to the weight gain and I will say the withdrawals from Zoloft are tough. My emotions were really heightened and anything could make me cry. Be sure to tell your loved ones that you'll need some extra support as you taper off."

cisuggs (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed this medicine in 2004 to help with depression. Instead of getting better I progressively got worse and my psychiatrist's answer was to put me on Xanax. Long story short, I ended up in a psychiatric hospital. Turns out I have bipolar II and since I wasn't on a mood stabilizer I essentially lost my mind. Horrible experience."

TWG74 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Zoloft for depression and I was on it for a month before I had to get off. After three weeks I started noticing a lack of feeling and it became difficult to orgasm and once the fourth week came around I was completely unable to orgasm. I want to give it zero stars because of how much that affected me personally but it did help a lot with my depression and I was starting to feel more like myself."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on and off this medication for about 12 years now for my autonomic disorder, and it's been wonderful for me! I don't have a good reaction to Paxil, but Zoloft has worked great. I'm much less anxious, my symptoms have subsided, and I've even been able to come down on my dose recently. I don't recommend just coming off of it without talking to your doctor, because you can have some nasty side effects with that, and be warned that it takes between 15-30 days to fully take effect, so you have to be patient, but the results are great with little to no side effects!"

Skathlee (taken for 10 years or more) May 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on Zoloft due to depression and anxiety. I am an Army veteran who was diagnosed with GAD and mild to moderate depression. I have been on a variety of medications, however this one was hell. I couldn't concentrate, my insomnia was worse (I had to take melatonin in order to sleep), I was lightheaded almost everyday. The one thing I hate was being irritated easily were when it came to my family asking me questions, I just wanted to be violent."

ASchaufsa May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication saved my life. In 2015, my depression and anxiety were so horrible. I was sad and/or angry all the time and I was having 1-3 panic attacks a day. I've been suffering with depression since about 4th grade (I'm almost 21 now) but my anxiety didn't really get aggressive until I was a sophomore in high school. After I graduated is when it became a really big problem for me. I stopped taking Zoloft in 2015 after a few months because I lost my insurance. I got put back on it in May of 2016. It's been nearly a year and I'm a brand new person. Happier, funnier, more full of life, more excited about life, I feel incredible! I only have about 1 panic attack every 2-4 months and my mood is positive and amazing! So happy to have this"

megs11 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Zoloft by my doctor to treat my depression/anxiety (small, 25mg dosage) and after about 4 days in I am experiencing all of the mild side effects including; insomnia, lack of appetite/motivation, foggy head, achiness and exhaustion. I'm 19 and around 125lb, was just wondering if anyone experienced anything similar? *aka is this normal and does it get better* (Note- it is more of a grieving depression due to the death of a parent. I believe my DR. said I'm going through some transition dilemma, so a low dosage is all I need)"

Mls82655 (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a breakdown in November 2016, spent the winter suffering terribly with anxiety, depression, and insomnia. Was resistant to trying medication. Counsellor, psychiatrist, and 2 physicians finally convinced me I had bipolar 2, and put me on Trileptal. Slight improvement occurred but I still suffered. Finally things got so bad that I decided to give the Zoloft they had all been suggesting a try. Started at 25 mg and now have been on 50 mg for about 6 weeks. DEFINITE IMPROVEMENT. Wish I had started long before I did, having suffered way longer than necessary. No side effects for me thus far. Some breakthrough depression and anxiety, I handle these days with low dose klonipin. I am leaving the option of increasing Zoloft dose in autumn, for SAD"

Biophiliac (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 42 years old never took AD drug before. My GF insisted that I should take it for my anger issues, nothing violent but bursting rage in a second, and feel depressed. Started to take the drug 6 months ago, for 2 weeks 50mg, after that 100 mg daily. Don't get me wrong but I don't feel any changes, my bursts are gone and depression like a normal person (daily problems thoughts). I am trying to say I feel normal :) I think it works"

krmzl May 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on 50 mg of Zoloft for 5 days. Believe it or not I feel a little better already. I got up this morning and cleaned my entire house. My mood is better with my kids and people around me. I'm not where I want to be but it's still early. My only complaint is severe gas. I can't seem to make it stop no matter what I try ( beano, gas x) but I'm gonna keep going for now. It feels good not having to fight with your own brain everyday to "try" to be or "act" happy. Good luck to everyone. :)"

Shawna Turnbough (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2017