User Reviews for Zoloft

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Zoloft.

Zoloft Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Zoloft to treat Depression

"This medication has not helped me in any form. I lost a lot of my appetite, and slept all the time, and was still tired. My depression worsened on Zoloft. I do not recommend Zoloft for depression."

Just a person. January 16, 2018

"I was prescribed 50mg by my GP. 1st day felt like I was on speed lots of energy, jittery. 2nd day I felt neutral, anxious. 3rd and last day of taking, I woke up in the middle of the night with suicidal thoughts which was very overwhelming and scary. Also lost appetite and 2kg in just 3 days. Terrible stuff."

Guy57664 (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2018

"Took 150 mg for 2 years...helped a lot but always tired and lack of motivation...dropped to 100 mg and motivation is better...but tad more anxiety but I guess it’s better to be on the lowest possible dose for less side effects and dependency"

Quincypondex1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 7, 2018

"Works great although I have spontaneous erections. This is very embarrassing for me"

Jonboy123 January 5, 2018

"I started this medicine for depression and anxiety. Every medicine works different on everyone but this medicine altered my life completely and not in a good way. I turned into a person who wasn’t me, I lost friends from my changed personality, ruined relationships, went from 130lb to 160 pounds in just three months. I cried and was more suicidal and sad then I’ve ever been. People would always tell me “what happened to the old you”. I didn’t know and went to my doctor and was quickly switched off and went onto a different medication and getting off of it was the best thing. My personality went back to the old me and I regained my relationship and friendships back and I lost almost all the weight I gained. Zoloft wasn’t for me personally"

Anonymous December 21, 2017

"This drug changed my life. I was really struggling my sophomore year of high school to the point where I couldn't leave my house. I'd struggled with anxiety my whole life but it got so bad I was paralyzed by it, leading me into an episode of depression. I started therapy over the winter break and almost immediately was prescribed Zoloft. I gained some weight at first but my mood steadily began to improve. I stopped wanting to self harm and I stopped fantasizing about suicide within a month. It fixed my inner clock as well, as I started being tired at normal times. This was difficult at first but beneficial in the long run."

ali78 December 19, 2017

"I was on Cipralex for 3 years and it destroyed my life. I lost 3 years of my life leaving school and doing nothing but sit at home worthless. Then I switched to Zoloft, I felt better on Zoloft but still the same complaint of being a “zombie”. I have never felt it is me for the past 10 years. I had tried getting off these drugs so many times but everytime I do it I feel better for the first few months then I collapse, again. It is very hard to be on them, and to be off them at the same time. My advice for you is to try them at last. Never start with antidepressants. Thank you and good luck."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) December 9, 2017

"I was prescribed this a couple of months ago for severe anxiety and postpartum depression after an ectopic pregnancy. I felt euphoric for the first few days, and was literally awake for over 48 hours straight. But after the initial side effects wore off I was so thankful for this meditation. I was always against antidepressants and believed I could just 'get over it' with my mind...but after losing the baby my anxiety was through the roof and I couldn't function like a normal person. I'd come home from work and hide in my room away from my family, I avoided leaving the house unless I absolutely had to, I'd spend all day exhausting myself. I now feel more like myself than I have in years."

KatieQ (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2017

"This med helps me depression so much! I have severe depression and anxiety and it helps with everything - the sadness, irritability, anxiety, social anxiety, you name it. Unfortunately it causes major weight gain. I mean, I gained 40 lbs in a few months so I weaned off of it, lost the weight with no lifestyle changes. Tried other meds but nothing worked as well so I have it another try. Again, weight gain. No lifestyle changes and gained 70lbs in 4 months. Repeat weaning. Repeat weight loss. Became suicidal. Had to go back on the med. remained on it for 9 years gained 150 lbs and remained stable there. Recently went off again and I'm trying to find another med because I can't handle obesity but can't find another med that works as well!"

Depressedmomof1 October 10, 2017

"MOTIVATION MONDAY: to the lovely folks just like me who spend hours searching online forums looking for something to give you hope. I understand. I want to share what I've learned. When I was in my darkest place I would read reviews about meds not working or awful side effects. I was convinced no medication would work for me because of this. BUT this one did! Please know, there is a light at the end of the tunnel! ALWAYS. You are not alone. You are not crazy. Don't give up. You'll be feeling normal again before you know it. This too shall pass!"

Thistooshallpassxo (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2017

"I was on Zoloft for about 3 years when I was a teenager. It tremendously helped my depression. There were side effects however. My doctor told me that it metabolized slowly and takes a few weeks to notice results.. so in my ignorance, I thought that that's how long it takes the body to metabolize the stuff. For at least a year there would frequently be times where I'd forget to take my pill in the morning.. sometimes for a few days in a row. So when I remembered that I should take it, I would take 2,3, or even 4 of them to make up for days where I skipped. Like I said, this is only due to my own stupidity. I would end up being awake ALL night long.. completely stung out and not knowing why. I developed Insomnia and pretty much went crazy."

justsomedude89898 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 1, 2017

"Well I went to my Doctor and asked for medication for general anxiety and depression. I was prescribed Zoloft. I took it with a meal and about two how's later, I felt like I was having a heart attack as I had chest pain, racing Pulse and palpitations. And I took my Blood Pressure and it was 140/90, Pulse 110. My usual Blood Pressure is 106/70, pulse 75. After about 6 hours, I began to feel OK again thank goodness. I will not be taking this medicine ever again. Going good back to my Doctor and asking for another medicine."

Loves to read (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2017

"I have been on Zoloft for years now and love it this medicine saved my life before I started taking Zoloft I was a mess!!! depressed and angry all the time I finally after several years decided I'd had enough I told my therapist I wanted an antidepressant I was going to call the doctor myself but she called the doctor. Honestly I remember a girl I met when I was in college who told me I needed help and to go home for the weekend however, I was reluctant to get help only because my parents felt that at the time antidepressants weren't that safe. I must say she was right I feel so much better not a lot of side effects sometimes I get diarrhea from it but mostly it works"

Carwash August 24, 2017

"I took Zoloft (generic) shortly after my anxiety got horribly severe. I took lexapro a few years ago but didn't like the sexual side effects. Doctor put me on Prozac but that appeared to put me into a deep depression. I had never had depression, just anxiety but I couldn't get out of bed I was just paralyzed. After a few weeks of that I decided to try Zoloft. Within the first three weeks I felt tremendously better. By 6 weeks I felt totally back to normal and NO sexual side effects! This has been my miracle drug"

Abbeyjd (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2017

"I didn't realize it at the time but this stuff really did literally make me bipolar! I never considered myself bipolar before this medication. It made me not be able to sleep for days at a time, made my normal moods worse at times, and just over all set off mental conditions that I don't normally have issue's with, and at the time I didn't see or understand that, now."

5150Aries (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 29, 2017

"Got prescribed Zoloft after my 20 year relationship ended after my ex husband became addicted to meth. I was very depressed and couldn't control my thoughts about the situation, I had a hard time sleeping, zoning out, focusing, and adjusting to my normal everyday life. I started on 25 mg for about 3 weeks then increased to 50 mg. I've been on 50mg for a couple months and feel so much better. I can focus on my life again and never break down crying anymore etc. I had no side effects besides loose stool here and there. I like how there were no real side effects for me and it did what I was seeking. I would recommend to try Zoloft before other medications. I will not increase my dosage."

40 year old F (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 19, 2017

"Didn't do a dang thing ! I took it like I was told to, and I waited & waited & waited some more! After a few months of not feeling any difference, or any better at all I quit taking it."

Brene July 17, 2017

"20 year old college student. I've had OCD since I was a kid (depression since junior year of high school) but only within the last year did I make the choice to take an SSRI. There's a lot of ambiguity surrounding antidepressants, and you can't really extract much from reviews without feeling reluctant. Yes, there are side effects that appear within the early stages. It is scary to ingest a drug you know little about. However, I can feel happy again, which I thought I had lost the ability to do. I don't believe everything is hopeless, which I, truthfully, thought I'd feel the rest of my life. It's been a lifesaver, and at 100mg, nothing feels inherently different about myself. It's just a tablet. Don't let it be more than it ought to be."

Ruhrohraggy34 July 8, 2017

"I was on Zoloft for about 8 years for severe generalized anxiety disorder and major depressive disorder. I was eventually maxed out (200mg) and I felt awful. I couldn't feel emotions at all, it was almost like depression but less hopeless. I felt like a zombie. Or a robot. I also had pretty severe sexual side effects as well. Got taken off, and I feel like a real human again. I'm on Wellbutrin now."

ClearlyOdd July 6, 2017

"I was on this medication for about 2 months and it was an awful experience. I started out on 25mg and I couldn't really feel any emotions, so they increased the dosage to 50mg. I started feeling worse, so I was told to increase the dosage again. Once I got to 75mg, I started becoming angry, even more anxious than I was before, I had an out-of-body experience, and I was becoming incredibly impulsive. After trying another anti-depressant and failing, it is believed that I have a mood disorder and was placed on mood stabilizers."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2017

"The first 2 weeks on Zoloft were like hell. I was drowsy, had nightmares and my stomach was a mess. I've been taking 75mg for 3 month now and I feel like a new person . I'm mellow , easy to deal with and satisfied"

Kati27c (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2017

"20 y/o female, prescribed 50mg for major depressive disorder, social anxiety, and just overall generalized anxiety. Been on 50mg for 3 months now. Side effects were minor which consisted of insomnia, loss of appetite, and nausea.. though they subsided within the first few weeks and I now experience none. I love Zoloft! I can live again! I'm laughing and going out with friends, not laying in bed all day. I can finally breath, my surroundings seem so much brighter, I don't harbor hate anymore, I'm me again...More ambitious and creative like I was before I fell into this self destructive path of depression two years ago. I no longer have the desire to self medicate with drugs and alcohol. I wish I got on Zoloft a long time ago."

Kitten.666 June 21, 2017

"I started Zoloft after being on citalopram. Citalopram worked the best for me but due to my age, my GP wouldn't raise the dose after 25mg stopped helping. I've been on Zoloft since around February or so and it's increased my anxiety dramatically. To the point that I can't sleep and I'm writing this at 4:49am. I also noticed I started to struggle with death anxiety A LOT which I hadn't had problems with in the past. I am still taking Zoloft but will hopefully be changing medication in the next few weeks."

Kjemma (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2017

"I've taken Zoloft for several years: once to help with OCD when I was younger and more recently to help with depression. Overall I definitely experienced less crying and general hopelessness on Zoloft. I still had my bad days but in general it's manageable. The biggest side effect was the weight gain. I gained about 20 lbs in a year. I also felt like I sweat easier on this medication, especially my palms. This was pretty minor though. I'm switching to another medication due to the weight gain and I will say the withdrawals from Zoloft are tough. My emotions were really heightened and anything could make me cry. Be sure to tell your loved ones that you'll need some extra support as you taper off."

cisuggs (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 14, 2017

"I was prescribed this medicine in 2004 to help with depression. Instead of getting better I progressively got worse and my psychiatrist's answer was to put me on Xanax. Long story short, I ended up in a psychiatric hospital. Turns out I have bipolar II and since I wasn't on a mood stabilizer I essentially lost my mind. Horrible experience."

TWG74 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2017