User Reviews for Zoloft

Zoloft Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 219 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Zoloft to treat Depression

"First of all, I wanted to write this several years ago but somehow never got around to it. Zoloft has changed my life. I’ve struggled with depression and anxiety my whole life. In 2011 I finally started Zoloft. The first night I started my 25mg dose. The next morning I woke up and felt completely different. It was like a euphoric feeling. My body didn’t ache. I had more energy....fast forward 7 years. I still am using Zoloft and it has made me a better wife, more patient parent and overall less anxious and depressed."

Deedee (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 11, 2018

"My son had a k10 score of 31\50 and was prescribed 100mg Zoloft daily. He had a panic attack and killed himself. This is a known side effect of Zoloft and I blame it and a lack of active follow up by his doctor."

Juliaa (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2018

"Just take these reviews with a grain of salt. A lot of reviews after taking one day, couple weeks etc. you need a full three months for maximum effectiveness. Not that it takes that long to start getting relief. Side effects are common while your body adjusts. Some of them will go away. I had no troublesome side effects with Zoloft. I always have to start out gradually. Maybe even more than they say bc I’m sensitive to meds. I got big relief from depression. Panic attacks went away. OCD went away. The cons are it made me not very motivated, felt kind of numb to strong feelings. Not feeling urgency about my life. I wouldn’t take it again for years bc it blocked my clear perspective. But it was great to get me stabilized. Things that really help but can’t completely replace anti dep is fish oil, vit d, exercise, sunlight, folate like spinach , lentils really good. Also diet really helps. Get a book called the good mood diet. Best wishes"

Louann September 9, 2018

"When my doctor prescribed me Zoloft I was scared of the side effects and put off taking it for a few days. Now I could not be happier that I started taking it though. I have been on 50mg for almost 5 weeks and have not noticed any side effects.... my depression has gotten so much better. I wake up excited about the day and just feel generally happy and nothing feels so difficult anymore. I haven’t cried once since starting the medication whereas beforehand I was crying every day and all I wanted to do was lay in bed. My friends and family as well as myself have all noticed a huge difference in me. I’m so happy with my progress on Zoloft so far. I am hoping that it helps improve my general and social anxiety soon because I have not seen much of an improvement there but I know it can take 8 weeks. Definitely recommend this medication and don’t be scared to start taking it! The side effects are rare and it will be the best decision of your life."

Sarah (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2018

"Noticed I had symptoms of depression so I asked my doctor for a prescription to Zoloft. The first few weeks were good and I felt clearer in the head but still very anxious. It caused severe insomnia so I stopped taking it after my prescription ran out."

mrcakelord (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2018

"Terrible. Took it for a couple days at night instantly felt disoriented dizzy kind of like a drunk feeling started having vivid dreams ,my mouth was super dry, woke up the next day still feeling groggy had headaches can't say this medication is for me "

Mely (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2018

"First started taking it for PPD (postpartum depression) . Currently struggling with depression, PTSD and anxiety. Started off at low dosage and worked my way up. Worked good for a little while then stopped working for me."

Ht1990 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 10, 2018

"I'm a 31 year old Male who has had challenges with depression and anxiety throughout my life. I have been on several different meds in my past, including lexapro, paxil, effexor, wellbutrin, prozac, zoloft, and some others as well. Of all of these meds, I've found zoloft works the best for me. However the worst thing I experience with zoloft is decreased libido, as with all of the other meds I've tried, except for wellbutrin. This side effect truly sucks. Zoloft also kind of makes me feel robotic and emotionally numb. Currently I'm experimenting with another medication (viibryd) in attempt to find a med that works without having sexual side effects. However zoloft is my fallback option, because this med at least stabilizes me and helps function in society. Therefore I give this med a 7 out of 10. My advice to everyone is to keep being patient with meds and realize that it might take some time and trial and error. And always keep hanging in there no matter what. Good luck."

G August 7, 2018

"I was taking 50 mg of Zoloft for four weeks. I went to see my shrink and told her I was not better, but felt more depressed. I did feel less anxious. However, she doubled my dose. I don't even remember how I felt at first, I just know that exactly a week after starting this new dose, I began to have manic episodes. I did very impulsive things, I felt elated and euphoric, I then became agitated, which a few hours later resulted in a full blown panic attack. I have also had a manic episode today, where I was hallucinating. My heart was beating 100 miles a minute, I was shaking, my eyes seemed huge and sparkly, I was sitting on my bed rocking, and felt like I was in hell. I have gone between depressed and manic for three days now. I am not sure if I am bipolar or not. I called my doctor today but will not hear back for a few days. This drug is a full blown nightmare. Everyone reacts differently, but I am frightened. I almost called 911 twice in the past two days."

E July 28, 2018

"I have had quite a major depression, had suicidal thoughts and felt very tired and unhappy. I finally decided to get help and start medications, Zoloft was my first prescribed medication. It saved my life. After a few weeks I have started to feel differences, after a few months, I felt happy again! All my anxiety and negative thoughts were away. No side effects as well. Really recommend if you feel that there is nothing else you can do. Don't forget to work with a therapist meanwhile!"

Zolo (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2018

"Was on this for several years through highschool. I never felt much of a change. A bit foggy feeling. I didn't get as low as I would sometimes, though. Zoloft was just ok."

Max (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 2, 2018

"I absolutely hated this drug. I am a female and 21 years of age with borderline personality and depression. Lowers sex drive. Intercourse is severely painful. Intercourses is dry, causes stinging and burning sensations during and after sex. Almost impossible to orgasm. Only good thing about this drug is you don’t feel like a zombie on it. But if you love sex do not take this drug because you will end up hating sex after you experience the pain you acquire. I was close to tears almost every time after intercourses. I even tried lube and the pain is still consistent. "

Missy (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 30, 2018

"Good medicine helps anxiety and depression, was on higher dose but seemed to make me too tired and not care as much, lowered it to 50-75 mg and tad more anxiety but side effects down and much more like myself, maybe it’s true less is more"

Robyn132 June 28, 2018

"I've been taking 50mg for stress / adjustment disorder (ie not diagnoses depression / anxiety) and feel a lot better. The first week was tough (nausea, insomnia, feeling very, very low) and I did use temezapam to sleep due to the alertness. It's been 2 months and I use the stimulating effect to my advantage - if I take it at night I wake up at 6am WIDE AWAKE. It's so good! I don't feel drowsy and I don't wake up during the night. I also have noticed that I don't get breast tenderness with my periods anymore! Yay!"

Reja (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2018

"I wanted to share my experience to give people hope. Four months ago, I started having debilitating panic attacks almost daily, which then turned into a constant anxiety, not wanting to leave the house or do anything anymore, insomnia and the deepest depression I have ever known. I tried whatever I could to rid myself of it... meditation, therapy, self help books, diet, supplements. I had been very anti medication for myself. The first 3 days on Zoloft weren’t easy. I had insomnia, was shaky and felt agitated, zoning out and crying and crying. I am on day 4 now and I woke up this morning with the clearest mind. I haven’t felt like this in as long as I can remember. I feel so positive. I know it’s only early days but this gives me enormous hope. I am increasing my dose and pushing through any side effects. Don’t suffer endlessly as I have."

Anon June 13, 2018

"I had a difficult time on this medication. I was given 25mg for depression and anxiety. I have bipolar disorder but due to perimeno my depression and anxiety have become extremely horrible. I am sensitive to medication and took only half (12.5mg) of a pill to start. Within 30 minutes I was so amped up I could not stop talking or sit still. I had a headache, electric feeling through my whole body, dizziness, muscle cramps and sweating. About four hours in, after trying to eat, I got hives and really itchy. When I went to bed I stayed somewhere between awake and sleeping mixed with anxiety and nightmares. The next day I felt sore and exhausted and fuzzy headed. I will say I was not depressed or suicidal but obviously I had a bad reaction. I won’t be taking another one which is a shame. It took me a month to try it due to being afraid of taking an antidepressant because of possible side effects. Hopefully this med can help someone else."

yveseclipse (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2018

"I’ve been taking Zoloft for around 3 weeks now, first day was fine no side effects or anything. Everything hit me on the second day with nausea, migraine, dizziness, loss of sleep and my mood being lower than ever before. I started taking it for my severe anxiety and depression but since getting side effects my anxiety has been worse because I’m scared of feeling sick when I’m not at home. After 2 weeks of taking 25mg my doctor told me to increase to 50mg. It’s been 4 days on the 50mg and I’m still having side effects. I’ve had to miss nearly 3 weeks of school because I feel so sick and I can barely get out of my house, which is a big problem because I’m in high school and my exams are coming up in a couple of weeks, but I’ve missed so much school. Hopefully going back to my doctor soon to see if there is anything I can do, this medicine will work differently for everyone though."

Madi j May 15, 2018

"I was put on 50mg per day in 2015-16. It made me extremely wired and anxious at first but then improved my depression although with regular insomnia. I have been on 25mg per day during 2017-18 and this is a far better dose, I feel normal/happy/functional and usually sleep well. On occasional days when I am fatigued and have a "brain shutdown" due to low serotonin (sometimes stress, sometimes hormonal) I am allowed to take an extra 25mg which brings me back to functional within 30-60 min after taking. If you are struggling with the overstimulation and jitters on 50mg I recommend trying 25mg as it makes a massive difference for me. I also do slow yin yoga relaxing poses with deep breathing twice a day for 15-30 min."

Rachel (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 5, 2018

"I was on Zoloft for a year. I believe that it helped me get past the rough parts I was struggling with and gain control of my life, but I do like to warn people about stopping cold turkey because I had to go to a hospital because of the side effects. I was having racing thoughts and focusing on things for those ideas I had. I decided to stop because I started to feel like I didn't care about the things I was most passionate about. All I know is I didn't feel like me. I'm not hating on this drug because it did help me when I needed it to but it did scare me when I quit like I did. I hope you the best and talk about it with a doctor. Thanks. Much luck to ya. Heidi C."

Heidikans April 27, 2018

"I started taking this for anxiety mostly, but also a little depression. I started out at 25mg for a week and then 50mg and 100mg and 150mg and then 200mg over a 6 month period and have been there for 5 weeks. I think the medication helps, but you have to do more to really get back to normal. The drug helps keep more serotonin in your brain from what’s already in your body. You have to do more to really increase the serotonin levels in your body and your brain. Exercising helps for sure, but I finally figured out that caffeine and alcohol weren’t helping and had to mostly eliminate consumption of those. I read where they actually deplete your serotonin. Recently the drug really helped change my thought process, which was really warped by the anxiety/depression. It’s amazing how they can really alter your perception of reality. Just started taking GABA as well because you can be deficient in that also, which causes anxiety. Also omega 3. You can try tryptophan and 5-htp too."

JC April 18, 2018

"Loved the mood on this drug...hated the side effects. Thought I was just getting older, but I had constant inexplicable headaches every single day for months. Also had excruciating back pain that ended up being my gallbladder and severe changes to my menstrual cycle. I didn't put 2 and 2 together until I stopped the drug. Suddenly everything normalized. My advice: if you have weird things happening to you but they aren't listed as classic "side effects"--listen to your body!!"

Anonymous April 3, 2018

"I had been struggling with grief, PTSD and stress. I told my doctor how I feel, and that I see a therapist. I grind my teeth, generally not myself lately. I am naturally active motivated individual. I am now on Zoloft, Dr said it's to stabilize my mood. I have been taking it for about a week. Dr said it takes up to 3 weeks to kick in. So far I feel more alert, better attention and a bit insomnia and sleep cycle disturbance. It feels weird, I never took antidepressants before. I am so used doing things in stress that it feels unnatural to feel so balanced lol. It kills the edge of stress but a bit counterproductive because stress was my fuel before, but not grief. I plan to take it until I get over my issues and get off of it. I never thought I will depend on medication, but can't stand my neck pain due to stress. Now is tolerable. I will keep taking it."

Epsh March 17, 2018

"I have been taking the drug for 2 months @ 50 mg. I had increased anxiety for about 2 weeks when I first started and then all the side effects disappeared. I'm much more calm and able to deal with the enormous amount of stress I'm under with a calm, clear head. I feel like it is easier to communicate my thoughts and that I do not have as many emotional swings during the day. I highly recommend zoloft to anyone looking for something to get them through a tough time."

Happiernow (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2018

"I was put on zoloft after seeing no success on prozac. I was on 100mgs of zoloft a day for a little over 2 months and experienced no side effects, change of mood, or really any influence at all."

grass (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2018

"I had depression for years but didn't seek help. After I gave birth, it got worse. I went to the doctor the first time and she said it was PostPartum Depression, she didn't prescribe me anything. After a while, it was only becoming worse. So I went back and then she said I had a Deep Depression and she prescribed me Zoloft and also sent me to a psychiatrist. The side effects of the Zoloft made my life a living hell! I got insomnia, I started to shake uncontrallably, I started to have major anger issues. It was just too much for me, so when I went to the psychiatrist, he evaluated me and said I had Chronic Depression and changed my medications to Paroxetine. The side effects where much less but still the depression wasn't getting any better. After being on medication for 4 months, I stopped all medications on my own. I made some changes in my life. That was the best decision I could have made. Now I have been 8 months without taking any medications, my life couldn't be any better."

Kimy266 February 19, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...

Learn more about Depression