User Reviews for Zoloft

Learn more about Zoloft.

Zoloft Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 222 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Zoloft to treat Depression

"I had to start off at a very low dose, 12.5mg. Starting at anything higher made me feel like I was having a heart attack. Gradually increasing by just 12.5 mg for dose increases were much kinder. My mind is becoming more clear and focused, my thoughts dont seem so cluttered, and I have a little room for improvement so far. I target between 75-100 mg for feeling my best. Typical warned side effects (GI upset) is as expected but with each small increase, resolves. Sticking with it! :)"

focusedandhappier August 25, 2016

"Hi all, I've just commenced Zoloft for moderate depression. My Psychologist said that it will assist me to get more out of our sessions and will greatly improve my mood. I'm on 50mg. Last night was the first night I took Zoloft and my god I was so sick during the night and even this morning. I've taken today off work as I was still unwell at 11am. I'm going to hang in there. Thanks for your honesty and sharing your positive/negative experiences."

dons1980 (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2016

"This medicine is terrible. In fact doctors are terrible for prescribing it. Thanks to a 15 min session of my psychiatrist nodding (while barely looking at me) then writing down a name of a pill to "fix me" my face has never seen such acne. He thought I was depressed before, now I don't want to even leave the house. DOCTORS OVER PRESCRIBE!!!!! Please trust me, go to your herbal neighborhood store and get things to detox from medicine. The pharmaceutical companies are making a fortune on society believing a magic pill will sustain our life and subdue our problems. You're smarter than that, right?"

Girl236885 (taken for less than 1 month) August 14, 2016

"I started taking this drug to battle mild depression. 50mg a day. Pros: 1) more energy than usual. I go to the gym more than I used to (losing weight). I go the "extra mile" at work, I got a promotion (financial industry/hedge funds). 2) depression started to fade Cons: 1) DR told me to take it before bed. INSOMNIA was so severe I switched to morning. 2) no desire for sex. 3) I started to feel numb, not literally. Stuff I care about, I no longer do. This is where the depression starts to fade (partly). Hard to explain this one... 4) I'm alienating myself from friends. I like spending time alone, but I'm spending even more so now. 5) I have to take Ativan before bed from time to time due to extra energy"

AnSF99 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2016

"Worked well in combination with xanax for 3 months then lost effectiveness"

crob272003 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 7, 2016

"My 20 year old daughter was in a stump of being unmotivated , unhappy and very negative . She had always been very focused , happy and loved life. I recommended she go to her family physician and see about taking a low dose of anti depressant . 3 months later my daughter is back to herself . Zoloft has really helped her and she is a joy to be around again . She has claimed the only side effect is she had trouble sleeping the first 4 weeks when on Zoloft but now she's sleeping again ."

Maddcs May 21, 2016

"I am in my early 50s. The "docs" gave me this med initially for "stress". I was referred to a "psychiatrist" right after & I complied. The "Psychiatrist" announced I had "full blown clinic depression" even though all I felt was stress. I took the medication as prescribed (25mg), & had to endure 1 week of agony, but figured it was part of "the drug". I had muscle twitches, sweating, hot/cold sensation was thrown off, Blood pressure would shoot up & drop low, NO SLEEP at all for 1 week, before the "medication" took hold. Getting off the crap was just as bad if not worse. As a result of this med, I have become well acquainted with the local Sheriffs Dept, who showed up twice to "Baker Act" me For the side-affect - suicidal thoughts."

PammiePi2 May 19, 2016

"Wish I could rate this a zero. I have always had clear skin and no problems with acne or anything, no allergies, but this made me break out in hives. My depression and anxiety worsened exponentially. Worst experience, temporarily destroyed my life"

Ash474 (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2016

"I have constant mid-level depression and have also self medicated this with marijuana, helps a lot but only if you smoke all the time so I decided to go to the docter and right away he started me off with 100mg zoloft and I just tried this for the next month, the first 2 weeks my emotions were uncontrollable happy, sad, angry, numb, energetic, then tired. So then after the 2 weeks I didn't feel depressed really but didn't feel happy either?just a neutral feeling. So i stopped and decided medical marjiuana works better for me."

Baustin all natural April 15, 2016

"My husband has had depression and at times severe anxiety for years. He would have anxiety attacks so bad he was sure he was having a full blown heart attack every time, and his anxiety prevented him from sleeping because he was sure he would die in his sleep. His depression was bad as well, he was sure the world would be better off without him. He tried different medications but nothing really worked, some seemed to improve things a little bit but for the most part I had given up hope that any of them really do much. Then he tried Zoloft. For him, this was the one. It took the edge off after about a week, after two weeks I could definitely tell a difference. After about 6 weeks he was back to his normal self."

tini00072 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 14, 2016

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I’ve suffered from longstanding low-level depression ever since I can remember, and have often pondered with the idea of trying an antidepressant even though I stay away from medication as much as I can. Everything has worsened over the last year since my youngest, fittest sister died prematurely of breast cancer with extensive liver metastasis (or whichever came first)…I was with her for the 7 weeks after diagnosis and watched her take her last 2 breaths; this pain has become more intense lately and I would find myself crying like a baby over my little sister… My demented elderly father got a prescription for Zoloft (he must also be depressed because of my sister’s death), but since no one at his home was giving it to him I decided to give it a try! I’ve been taking 25mg (elixir) for 2 weeks and have seen a huge difference in my crying spells; I still think about my little sister, but don’t feel that overwhelming sadness as much… The first week I took the Zoloft at bedtime, but started to notice difficulty falling asleep, so now I take it in the morning…I felt no other side effects! I’m far from being a peppy, energetic person, but at least some of my suffering has been alleviated, and that’s what living is about; who needs to be in constant emotional pain!? Good luck to all!"

Camenta (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2016

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Having felt sick for the better part of the last year, many side effects of pain in my neck due to 3 bulging discs, I was recently hospitalized with heart palpitations but nothing seems to be wrong with my heart. My doctor thought I may be having depression due to all my physical pain. She started me on 25 mg of zoloft two weeks ago and increased it to 50 mg today. I'm feeling a positive change already. Not dwelling on my feelings of pain and sickness. I will continue zoloft as the side effects are minimal compared to the benefits"

T cr March 31, 2016

"I am also usually very much against taking medications especially ones that can alter your behavior but I have to say that this was a godsend. I never once considered taking a daily medication before and was very skeptical. The only reason I rated this product a 9 instead of 10 is because I experienced side effects during my first week of taking it that I was not expecting. I read that these side effects are pretty rare but they did include symptoms that were similar to flu. Before I started taking Zoloft, I was extremely anxious, shaky, nervous, and I would get into random fits and be consistently depressed. Since being on it I have felt much more calm and I feel like I have a better quality of life."

ML923753 March 25, 2016

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been taking 50mg of this daily for 2 weeks and I'm pleasantly surprised. I've only ever taken one other medication for my depression before this so I wasn't sure what to expect. I feel "normal". I don't know how else to explain it. I'm not panicking over small things or dwelling on problems I can't fix as much. My depression and anxiety makes me kind of hot head and I snap at people out of the blue but this medication seems to be helping. The only negative side effects I've had so far are slight nausea and dry mouth. I'm going to continue to take this and I recommend talking to your doctor to see if it could possibly work for you."

DW93 (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2016

"So far this drug has saved my life. After experiencing a traumatic experience I spiralled into a heavy depression coupled with anxiety. It's only been one week and I'm no longer crying daily and the hopeless feeling is subsiding. It's also helped stopped the obsessive thoughts I've been having about the traumatic event."

Lizbee1 (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2016

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Zoloft has given me the last leap I need to heal my mind. I have been struggling with severe anxiety, insomnia and bouts of depression for 3 years. While I have been off work into therapy and other means of rehabilitation, for the first time in years I actually feel calmer most the time, and mostly happy. I'm so grateful. It's been trial and error and a slow process, but I know my self-care is my main priority now. See more of my story:mental-health-matters-a-womans-story-of-the-struggle. Good luck to all."

Unimatrix1981 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 26, 2016

"I've been suffering from manic depression and anxiety since I was a teenager. I came to my breaking point last month and finally sought professional help. I'm now on day 3 with taking Zoloft 25mg twice daily and I've noticed some difference already and it's for the better. I'm not really experiencing the side effects everyone is talking about and I'm sleeping just fine. I was a little sleepy the first day and body was a little sore but nothing like everyone is describing. I know its only been day 3 so its not really in my system. So I'll check in in a few weeks. Wish me luck"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2016

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My depression began slowly at first, then all at once I couldn't bear myself anymore. I am a sophomore in college (female). In the evenings and going on into the night, my mood dropped so fast and I would get so sad over nothing. After talking to a counsellor, and making the tough choice to medicate, she put me on a starting dose of 50 MG Zoloft. After taking the first pill, I was doing some research and had myself so freaked out that night that the side effects would be awful. I was so worried I would have to skip work or class. I have been on the medication a few weeks now and I had zero problems! I could not be more impressed. My moods are already stabilizing and I feel so much better already! Good luck to anyone starting!!"

collegekid (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2016

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with depression about 6 months ago and started with a very low dose of prozac. About 3 months later I was institutionalized and switched to Zoloft. Most of the people there for depression were on it and it worked for them. However, it does not work for me at all. I've been on 100 mg for about 2 months and I feel jittery when I sit for too long or when I'm trying to sleep, I get really grouchy and rude (which is unusual for me) , and things that only bothered me before make me really depressed."

Kendalld January 29, 2016

"This Zoloft really help me in my time of struggle when I was diagnosed with cancer.Zoloft became my best friend."

Semone (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 24, 2016

"I was put on Zoloft a few years ago when I became very depressed (I also have anxiety and have had it pretty much my whole life which made it worse) and I've been on it ever since. I feel much better now about myself and my perspectives on things however I don't know if it was from the drug, time or therapy especially because I was finally feeling more in control of myself and my thoughts last year. So if it was Zoloft then it took a while for it to kick in for me I guess ? My doctor did say that in some patients it does nothing and in others it does so who knows ! However whether It's working for me or not I feel good right now and it's not having any long term side affects on me so I can stay on as long as I want "

Graceelizabeeth (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 23, 2016

"This medication has given me my life back. For months I walked around in a haze, had trouble focusing, getting out (and staying out) of bed, and would sleep for 18 hours. My social life suffered, my grades suffered, I would cry all the time, had trouble communicating, or wanting to be literally anywhere but in bed. I started on 50mg for a little over a month and while things slightly improved, it wasn't enough. I should also mention the side effects in the first week were terrible - brain fog, sleepiness, just general haziness... terrible. Overall, I was still depressed just... less. My doctor and I agreed to increase the dose to 75mg and this is an amazing medication. I can get out of bed, I can cook/shower/do laundry again, and I have done more school work in the past two weeks than I have for months. I can socialize and talk again, I don%u2019t cry as easily, I wake up and don%u2019t dread the day ahead. I feel human again, this is amazing. Only side effect I%u2019ve noticed is I%u2019ll occasionally have a dry mouth but it%u2019s very minor. Highly recommend!"

uni student (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2016

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My doctor started me on Zoloft for longstanding low-level depression that was increasing due to menopause, and for possible migraine prevention. It did nothing for the migraines, but it has definitely improved my mood. I started on a 50 mg dose and the doctor had me increase it to 100 mg after a few weeks. Still no migraine relief, but I the holidays didn't depress me as they always have since my father passed away. I did notice trouble sleeping, but taking it in the morning instead of at night helps with that. Also a slight weight gain. I might try going back to 50 mg if the doctor okays it. It seemed to be enough, and I don't want to over-medicate."

WillametteBearcat (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2016

"I've never taken antidepressants before (I'm 19). Back in November I started Zoloft at 25 mg for one week. I felt good, my energy was high. But after about 5 of those days, I got bad headaches. Then I started my 50 mg dose. I was even more depressed. I stayed in bed all day. I had panic episodes more frequently. I barely ate, I lost close to 10 pounds which really scared me. I couldn't take care of myself. I thought I was losing myself. Then I was told to go back to 25 mg. I felt better, less of a lump, but I was still having depressed feelings. I got off zoloft back in December. Consult your doctor before completely cutting off! I hope my Dr. will prescribe me something else..."

RhiRipley (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 2, 2016

"On Zolft 25 mg / day and my anxiety attacks have stopped. I haven't woken up depressed (used to wake up depressed and stay in bed) or had suicidal thoughts (had suicidal thoughts almost daily.) It's like this medicine has filled in the blanks for me. I don't feel high or euphoric or excited or anything other than what I think normal must feel like. It's quite a change from what I was used to, nonstop anxiety, depression and I was always thinking about suicide but all that has stopped and is a thing of the past. I can't even believe I was feeling like that. I now know that something was wrong with my brain and this medicine has fixed it for me. I am so happy to wake up not feeling sad."

Chocolatechipcookiesandmilk! (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2015

119 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next