User Reviews for Zoloft to treat Depression (Page 2)

Zoloft has an average rating of 6.8 out of 10 from a total of 537 ratings for the treatment of Depression. 57% of those users who reviewed Zoloft reported a positive effect, while 22% reported a negative effect.

Zoloft Rating Summary

6.8/10 average rating

Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Zoloft

Anonymous August 28, 2020

“I refuse to let what happened to me happen to anyone else. I’m 18 year old petite female. I began taking 25mg of zoloft for anxiety and mild depression. On day 3, I experienced serotonin shock syndrome. I woke up suddenly in the middle of the night with my entire body shaking, my heart rate extremely high, and extremely confused. My parents took me to the ER after I told them I felt like my life was ending. The physicians assistant in the ER dismissed me as a panic attack, even tho I’ve had anxiety my entire life and I have never felt close to way I did that night. My experience left me completely traumatized. I struggled to sleep for months afterward, terrified that I would wake up the same way. PLEASE PLEASE consider what you are putting in your body when you take this drug, especially if you’re a smaller person.”

john · Taken for 10 years or more April 7, 2021

“DONT GIVE TO CHILDREN I'm just glad I was able to start weaning off of them while I still have time to turn my life around (aged 20). I have noticed my drive for all things in life has come back after a decade of walking purgatory. Recollection of the 10 years I was on this drug is difficult, meaning most memories of my childhood are hazy at best, I feel cheated of my formative years and sad that the psychiatric community didn't care about the well being of me and countless other children who just needed talk therapy after trauma. The worst part is that I thought this was how life was supposed to be and that it was helping me, nobody knew how awful it was not even me.”

Kieare · Taken for less than 1 month June 28, 2014

“I have anxiety and depression. I was really against taking medication so I tried to resolve my issues myself. Needless to say, it never worked. I had been going through periods of depersonalization, feeling extremely down, suicidal and hopeless. I really thought life wasn't worth living anymore. It got so bad that I ended up in the hospital. I started taking 50 mg Zoloft and honestly it has been a life changer. I don't experience depersonalization anymore. My mood has been lifted so much that I don't feel down anymore, suicidal or hopeless. If you're afraid to take medicines please just give it a try. You won't regret it. Celexa didn't work for me, but I was determined to find a medicine that would. The key is to be patient.”

HapaBlasian · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 24, 2019

“I am a 34-year-old woman who has been living with depression since I was 12. Depression had me feel like I was Atlas (from Greek mythology) with a lifetime of struggle to roll a boulder uphill. Initially, I was against the idea of being on an anti-depressant. I finally caved in when a break-up threw me into a tail spin of never ending crying and sadness. At the doctor's office, he forewarned me that the first 6 weeks are going to tough and to brave the storm until the medication builds up in my system. I had 3 weeks of side effects that had me feeling more depressed and fatigued. However, I got through it and my life has changed for the better. Presently, I am more outgoing and actually feel like a " normal" person again. I am finally truely and sincerely happy, and have gained more friends because of that. If you are thinking about trying this medication but are still unsure, take the risk. I can't describe how great it is to finally have your life back.”

AnneJay · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 2, 2016

“My doctor prescribed this for depression issues/severe anxiety associated with adult ADD. I was very resistant to try, have been put on multiple other meds that made things much worse. I take 50mg daily. Immediately felt almost "euphoric." With each passing day, I feel better in every sense, and the anxiety is gone. I NEVER write any posts EVER, but this has been an unbelievable game changer. I have been battling these issues since childhood, and I can truly say I feel happy and hopeful about my future. The "internal storm" inside that I battled every day to cope with is gone. No side effects except for some vivid, strange dreams-but those are dissipating. I hope this helps someone-if this one doesn't help, keep trying and never give up.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 10, 2020

“I started taking sertraline around 5 weeks ago today (25mg). The first few days were fine, I only had a bad stomach for a day or so. However at around week 2 I felt awful, was having extreme suicidal thoughts. I carried on taking the medication as I know it gets a lot worse before it gets better. At 5 weeks now, I have increased my dose to 35.7mg and I feel pretty good. Haven’t had any side affects from increasing the dose slightly just yet. It’s worst sticking it out through the hard times, there is defiantly a light at the end of the tunnel!”

Deedee · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 11, 2018

“First of all, I wanted to write this several years ago but somehow never got around to it. Zoloft has changed my life. I’ve struggled with depression and anxiety my whole life. In 2011 I finally started Zoloft. The first night I started my 25mg dose. The next morning I woke up and felt completely different. It was like a euphoric feeling. My body didn’t ache. I had more energy....fast forward 7 years. I still am using Zoloft and it has made me a better wife, more patient parent and overall less anxious and depressed.”

Jg · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 4, 2019

“Zoloft was life changing for me , for a long time I had doubt about starting anti- depressant. I took a chance and started with lexapro , it was okay but I was always so tired and I felt like something was missing. So I went to my doctor and switch to zoloft and I feel like this drug helped me in so many ways ! I'm no longer worried about everything, I no longer don't want to go to work or school, I'm more social and happy. Zoloft gave me back my normal life and I'm so grateful for it. If you feel generalized anxiety or panic disorder all the time, it is not normal and if you want to take a chance and start medication you will see that its not as bad as everyone thinks !”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 19, 2013

“I have been on Zoloft 100MG for the last 3 years. It has been a life saver for me. Before Zoloft everyone kept telling me I was depressed and experiencing anxiety. I didn't believe them. I thought that was just me. Then at my doctors strong recommendation I started with the Zoloft. It did make me tired at first but I continued to take it and am so glad I did. I no longer have crying spells or lay in bed not wanting to get up. I no longer freak out(as my kids would say) or obsess about small things that really didn't matter. I no longer have a short fuse. I am calm, relaxed, nice, and very happy. I cannot imagine my life without Zoloft. Zoloft has made me a much better mom and person.”

Joanna · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 29, 2020

“Been on this med for about a year. 100 mg is the best dosage for me. Really does help depression, but doesn't take away normal grief. When you're happy , but I find that on it, you're really happy and calm, when taking your pills daily and not skipping doses. I found that combining with high quality magnesium also really helps my mood. The combination is great. Magnesium alone did nothing.”

Anxiety, depression. July 10, 2013

“I've been taking Zoloft for 8 years. It has created stability in my life. Prior to taking medication I always felt off...anxious, depressed, emotional, dwelling of things and this interfered with the quality of my life as well as affected my relationship and professional life. I take 50mg and I feel even keeled and normal instead of a basket case of emotion. Nobody would ever know I'm taking a medication and I'm often complimented on my temperament. I feel neutral, in control of my feelings and everything is within normal range. If you are overly emotional, anxious, feel off balance and have difficulty feeling consistent in your life...this could help. I feel content and normal now.”

piano October 15, 2008

“I'm writing this post because I spent a lot of time researching online about zoloft side effects before I finally decided to try it for my OCD/depression. I made a mental note to let other people considering this drug know what it was like after I tried it as well. I was worried that it might cause weight gain and that there may be sexual side effects. I was on this medication for 2 years and DID NOT experience weight gain or sexual side effects. The first few months I was on it I had some stomach upset and trouble sleeping but that disappeared shortly after. I have maintained a consistent body weight (within 5 lbs.) for years and zoloft did not seem to affect my weight at all. I lost a few pounds at first because of the stomach upset”

BetterLife2010 July 16, 2010

“I started taking 50mg generic sertraline about 2 weeks ago. I have had a very good experience with it and I love it. Thank God for this medicine and the improvements that it makes on the brain chemistry. Only experienced diarrhea for 1 day (which was okay for me because I've always struggled with constipation which only contributed to fatigue and depression). I'm more social (before I didn't care about doing much, even though I wanted to go out, when it came time to, I would end up going to bed), more easy going, less irritable and cranky. So much more patient with my kids. No side effects for me. Oh and I'm not eating ravenously at night because of stress and anxiety like I used to so it's helping me lose weight. Yay!”

140756 December 25, 2014

“Zoloft has been a life saver for me. I honestly don't know how I would've gotten through the past year without it. I had anxiety and depression, but after I started taking Zoloft, I was finally starting to feel myself again and my headaches have gone away. If you have moderate to severe anxiety and depression, I would highly recommend this. It truly saved me.”

Me November 7, 2019

“I’m onto my second box of Zoloft. I took the entire first box over a month at 25mg. I had headaches pretty much every day but they weren’t extreme, just dull ache. There was also a couple of times where I was feeling nauseous, pharmacist told me to eat before taking the pill & that actually helped. So after the first month I reached my prescribed dose of 50mg daily. No headaches at all now & no negative side effects at all. My mood is so much better, I actually catch myself laughing at things online or on tv, I am so much more calm & patient with my kids. Myself & my husband where having huge verbal arguments every couple of days which I now am capable of refusing to do despite his pushing, I can repeatedly say I’m not going to argue with you & stay calm for a long time now which is obviously new to my husband who is so used to getting a big reaction from me. I honestly feel absolutely fantastic with this medication. Going to ask my doctor about upping my dose for better results!”

Antonio · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 29, 2021

“Zoloft really help me out my life back on track. I was hesitant at first reading through the side effects and put it off for a while. Once the therapist convinced me and I got on, it took me about a month to notice the effects. I just had some appetite suppression for the first weeks but that went away. It really feels like the was a missing puzzle piece in my life and I haven’t looked back since. (50mg)”

Lou1985 · Taken for less than 1 month January 25, 2015

“IT'S MY SAVIOR, I was in severe anxiety and depression for the last 6 months, it felt like there was no hope anymore, started taking Zoloft, and today is my 4th week. It's not that I don't feel depressed anymore, I FEEL HAPPY, enjoying every moment of life, I go to work full of motivation now, I feel like nothing can stress me out, you sound very confident in front of your colleagues. I am so thankful for this medicine, it gave me my potential, my efficiency and my life back. No significant side effects, other than weight gain.”

Vicki · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 22, 2019

“This is a very irresponsible website in that you do not instruct the reviewers to state the AMOUNT of Zoloft they take. Without knowing the amount the reviewers are taking, it just amounts to a bunch of worthless babble. It is of no use to anyone.”

Cat - 20 yrs old April 25, 2015

“I started Zoloft about 2 months ago. I was taking 25 mg to start, as I am very tiny. After about a month, I increased to 50 mg, and the results were felt within days. I'm not hitting my dangerous lows nearly as frequently, and when I do get upset, it feels tolerable. Yes, I still cry; no, I'm not happy all the time, but that's normal! For the first time in over 3 years, I understand what it feels like to be normal. PS-for those of you out there desperately looking for help, but not wanting to disappoint your loved ones who are opposed to taking psychiatric medication, do it for yourself. Here's what might happen: they don't work so you stop taking them, or they work and you never look back. Life is far too short to feel awful throughout it.”

Sal · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 3, 2019

“I'm so thankful for Zoloft. I laid in bed all day, sleeping as much as possible, never eating, never bathing, and honestly being way too angry at other people. I used to have panics attacks all the time, and nothing could cheer me up. When I started taking Zoloft, I immediately started feeling a certain euphoria and gigglyness through the first week or so (which I know is rather uncommon) and I was slightly dizzy for about the first two weeks. But that wore off and I have zero side effects, now months into taking it. I'm not "euphoric"... I just feel normal. I don't feel neurotic anymore. It's such a relief.”

Ellie · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 23, 2020

“Hi everyone, I am glad to find a place that I can tell my story & maybe get some opinions. I started taking Zoloft when my husband of 53 years passed, that was 3 years ago. I had the doctor give me instructions on weaning from it in November. So now it has been 8 days off. I did not have any side effects until today. After I got home from church I just broke out in tears & I am not a crier. Is it normal to get this effect after 8 days off? I really would like to stay off the med. Thanks”

Anonymous May 9, 2009

“I was crying over the weirdest things and didn't want to get out of bed. Then I started taking Zoloft 50mg daily, a month ago. I felt relief an hour after taking it. The side effects for me were stomach upset, decrease in appetite, and sleepiness. That only lasted a week. After three weeks I increased the dose to 100mg which my doctor suggested in the beginning. I have been on many different antidepressants since I was a teenager and this is the first one that I feel "normal" on. I don't feel emotionless or stay on a fake happiness high. I feel relieved and can deal with the day to day stresses.”

JohnnyBoi453 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 10, 2014

“I'm 19 and Zoloft has been a LIFESAVER for me! I've had very bad generalized anxiety, social anxiety, panic attacks, and mild depression. I recently had been on Xanax then Klonopin as needed, but I felt as if those types of medications wouldn't help me in the long run. I've been on 25 mg of Zoloft for a month and a half, and I feel WONDERFUL! The horrible, disabling anxiety I once had is almost nonexistent, and my depression melted away! My mood is stabilized, I have a lot of energy, focusing on school work is a synch, and I interact with others with confidence. Yes, I feel like a totally renewed, cleansed person with a constant sense of motivation! Zoloft saved my life! Little to no side effects either. Very mild antidepressant.”

Rosie · Taken for 10 years or more September 10, 2019

“I have been on Zoloft and the generic sertraline on and off for many many years, on 50 mg. Recently I developed symptoms of depression, panic etc due to health issues. I have a great GP who encourages me to manage my depression so with his agreement I increased my dose to 100 mg, and suffered every symptom for weeks. Anxiety, nausea, shaking, insomnia. After 10 weeks these symptoms have all but disappeared. After reading all the reviews I vowed to share my experience too. Remember the symptoms WILL go away. It may take longer for some people than others to feel better. You may feel good one day but not the next. Hang in there. It takes time. I now feel almost ready to go back to 50 mg.”

Nikki · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 6, 2019

“This drug changed my life. I feel better than I ever could have imagined after starting Zoloft. I had suffered with depression, unmedicated, since childhood. Finally I got a doctor who would give me the antidepressants I needed. I was started on 25 mg for the first week, then 50 mg. I've been on 50 for 5 months now and so far so good. I've noticed drastic changes in my mood and my stress levels. Things that would've sent me into a panic attack before now only get me mildly stressed. I don't have random crying fits anymore. I'm not angry. The main side effect I had upon starting was no appetite. I felt nauseated every time I ate and had no desire to eat either, other than just to stop feeling hungry. That lasted about a month. Other than that, I haven't experienced any negative side effects.”