User Reviews for Zoloft to treat Depression (Page 4)

Zoloft has an average rating of 6.8 out of 10 from a total of 537 ratings for the treatment of Depression. 57% of those users who reviewed Zoloft reported a positive effect, while 22% reported a negative effect.

Zoloft Rating Summary

6.8/10 average rating

Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Zoloft

Kort · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 23, 2015

“I've always experienced social anxiety growing up. I thought this was normal but it became clear to me during college that I shouldn't be feeling so shy all the time. I was afraid to be myself. I was constantly going back and forth between anxiety and depression for years. I tried meditation, yoga, running, a different diet... But nothing seemed to be working good enough! Enough was enough! I researched zoloft for a few weeks and finally decided to try it out. WOAH! Other than the initial side effects such as decreased appetite and restlessness, this medication changed my life!!! I feel very comfortable talking to people in social settings.. I could finally be myself! The biggest thing is being patient--- it works!!!!! Good luck everyone!”

kitty January 18, 2020

“I was experiencing depression and sleep issues. 1st tried Effexor 37.5. From 1 pill, I was throwing up all night with a pounding headache. Felt shaky+defeated rest of the week. Doc prescribed Zoloft 25mg. Took 12.5mg for first 4 nights with TylenolPMs. Felt no side effects from Zoloft +was finally sleeping again. Got a new job; relief. 25mg for a few weeks felt a bit better, but couldn't tell if it was from Zoloft or from life changes and was still feeling a bit empty. Upped to 50mg. It's only been 3 weeks but I feel better+better. It's kinda subtle so far but I feel myself smiling more. Nearly no side effects except major CONSTIPATION. Pharmacist told me meds can cause this. Laxatives are barely working, will try daily Metamucil. Assuming I can get my system back to normal, I think it's worth it. I'm not shaky, drowsy, etc. And I feel better.”

Iki November 5, 2019

“So far Zoloft has been a great experience. I feel so much better. This is my 4th week on it and it really helped me. Less mood changes, even before period (PMDD) less anxiety in stressful situations. Really happy about it. Haven't felt this good in long time. I am happy I was able to find a medicine that works for me.”

Chantel9999999 August 13, 2009

“I started taking Zoloft about 3 1/2 weeks ago. The first week I started to feel better. Though about 5 days in I had a really bad hotflash where I had to lay on the floor for about 5 minutes, and then I felt like I was going to throw up. Haven't had that sense. I do feel tired so I've started taking it at night. Also, I feel like I have restless leg syndrome. But other than those things I am now able to focus and my OCD seems to have calmed down a lot. I still get anxious, but it doesn't stick around as long and I'm able to move on from it easier. I feel like I can live in the moment and not worry about my past or present or what issue I need to stop before it happens. I am able to focus better at work too. I think my husband likes me now.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 17, 2020

“Day 18 on Zoloft started with 50mg increased to 75mg after day 7. Day 11-15 were terrible days, I felt a lot of anxiety mixed with crying, lost of appetite and I experienced panic attacks in the early mornings three days in a row (I’ve never once had that issue before). My physician added 10mg of Buspirone twice a day to help fight those battles and it helped. Today was a beautiful day — I don’t remember a signal thought holding me back, I felt balanced. Hope this continues.”

Sierra524 January 15, 2013

“I have been on Zoloft 50mg for about 6 months now. I got on it because I could not control my anger. I would go from okay, to completely angry in just a matter of moments. Everything and anything would set me off, and I couldn't control it. So, I went to the doctor and he put me on Zoloft. I have lost close to 40lbs since being on the medicine beacuse I have no appetite anymore. I do not feel like a zombie, instead I am able to control my anger better. I still get upset and angry, but I don't lash out like I used to. I feel like I have control of my life now.”

Jamid076 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 22, 2013

“This pill is a miracle for me. I've been taking it for about a month now, and within four days my nagging depression, anxiety and paranoia were almost completely eliminated, which I had not expected at all. My Obsessive Compulsive Disorder has also calmed down significantly since taking it, and my overall demeanor has changed from angry and suspicious all the time, to happy and full of energy.”

Mary · Taken for less than 1 month February 28, 2020

“Starting zoloft again at a dose of 25 MG today. I was on it a couple months ago at a starting dose of 50 MG. I didn't have many symptoms the first time around for two weeks. Week third, probably when it build up in my system, I experienced a continuous migraine along with high pitched ringing in my ears. I was also very constipated, bloated and had dry mouth and was very fatigued throughout that third week. I also lost my appetite and couldn't reach an orgasm. I was very uncomfortable and emotionally unstable during that whole third week. I stopped taking it and all symptoms ceased within 72 hrs. I saw my doctor who put me on wellbutrin. Wellbutrin was awesome, but unfortunately I can't continue taking it during the long term dental work I'm having done. I hope this time zoloft, with a lower dose, will not cause the same symptoms it did initially. Wish me luck.”

Gypsy heart January 25, 2014

“I saw my doctor after the anxiety I'd been having the last year hit an all time high in the last six months. I would wake up wondering "Why? What am I even here for? what am I working for?" I suffered severe muscle tension in my shoulders and lower back, extreme irritability/mood swings & panic attacks..my heart would be POUNDING as if I'd run a 5k when really I was just lying in bed. It is day two of taking Zoloft...I'm singing (still terribly) to songs again. I feel I have gained the sense of "normal" that my life has always lacked. I am more clear-headed and find rational thinking easier. My depression and anxiety was destroying my relationships. I'm beginning to see this "light at the end of the tunnel" people speak of. 50mg a day.”

tini00072 · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 14, 2016

“My husband has had depression and at times severe anxiety for years. He would have anxiety attacks so bad he was sure he was having a full blown heart attack every time, and his anxiety prevented him from sleeping because he was sure he would die in his sleep. His depression was bad as well, he was sure the world would be better off without him. He tried different medications but nothing really worked, some seemed to improve things a little bit but for the most part I had given up hope that any of them really do much. Then he tried Zoloft. For him, this was the one. It took the edge off after about a week, after two weeks I could definitely tell a difference. After about 6 weeks he was back to his normal self.”

halbaley November 19, 2019

“Zoloft has changed my life. I suffered from post-partum anxiety and depression. I had two children that are 14 months apart. Once I started Zoloft, my life became SO much better. The first few days I did feel a little weird (start up symptoms can make anxiety worse) but after that I felt so normal. It has been a life saver.”

Chocolatechipcookiesandmilk! · Taken for less than 1 month December 31, 2015

“On Zolft 25 mg / day and my anxiety attacks have stopped. I haven't woken up depressed (used to wake up depressed and stay in bed) or had suicidal thoughts (had suicidal thoughts almost daily.) It's like this medicine has filled in the blanks for me. I don't feel high or euphoric or excited or anything other than what I think normal must feel like. It's quite a change from what I was used to, nonstop anxiety, depression and I was always thinking about suicide but all that has stopped and is a thing of the past. I can't even believe I was feeling like that. I now know that something was wrong with my brain and this medicine has fixed it for me. I am so happy to wake up not feeling sad.”

Lizzy · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 11, 2019

“I suffered from depression and anxiety along with other conditions and Zoloft severely lowered my feelings of depression and anxiety without any major negative side effects, unlike other antidepressants that caused me extreme fatigue and anger issues as side effects.”

Dirty Hanky May 26, 2013

“I have been taking Zoloft for 10 years. I take 100 mg daily. I have found that all of my symptoms have diminished. In times real stress, I take an extra pill. All I can say is that none of the previous drugs I took helped me at all. I have depression and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. At age 59 I still react to anything that sounds like gunfire. I spent 33 years working for the government, 2 in the Army the rest in law enforcement. I have found that I have no issues to deal with. I did once while out of the country lose my prescription while backpacking. It was horrible for me and my two friends. I take my pill in the evening before bed. No side effects at all. I found Zoloft to be a God send for me.”

Ranger · Taken for less than 1 month September 29, 2019

“For me it takes Zoloft about 9 days to “ kick in” Only 150 mg seems to do the “ trick”. Without it I get two hours sleep max. My suggestion is hang in there and give it some time and increase your dosage until you feel it’s effect ... it takes time but life can be so much better . I have had 5 episodes over the years of depression and , eventually, this has worked .”

HardLifeGuy · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 19, 2015

“This has been a life changer for me. I guess I never realized how depressed I actually was until I started on Zoloft. I'd been fighting it for years, forcing myself to get up and get by each day, but getting worse and worse (avoiding people, having problems talking, having horrible insomnia). Within a week of being on Zoloft I noticed a major difference. I actually feel optimistic about life for the first time in as long as I can remember. My relationships with my wife, family, friends, and coworkers have all improved dramatically. In short, I'm no longer depressed. I had some side effects over the first few days (restless legs, night sweats, a zonked out 'zombie' feeling) but they passed quickly.”

Happychick98 February 7, 2017

“It's so difficult looking at reviews because so many are negative. I have moderate depression and generalized anxiety disorder. I started taking antidepressants pretty young maybe 6th or 7th grade. I took lexapro, Prozac, and something else before I got on Zoloft. I just recently got off Zoloft to see how I'd do without it and so far I've been okay. Anyways, Zoloft was practically a life saver for me. I'm not sure if I have experienced any of the side effects, but if I have they obviously didn't make much of a difference. This review is here to say don't be scared to take Zoloft it might be the perfect drug for ya!”

Zatch January 28, 2015

“Lately I've been having really bad panic attacks, migraines, night terrors/nightmares every night for three weeks I started Zoloft last night and it already started working within a night I'm more calm and feel like my old self already.”

Slogg March 17, 2014

“After a month of bouncing between morning and night dosing of 1 50mg pill, I settled on morning. It was making me super sleepy but that went away mostly. Didn't gain but maybe 5lbs if that (I'm a gym rat somewhat). Felt really stoned the first week or so and sleeping was strange, maybe a little erectile dysfunction at first, but all of that went away too. A month in and the side effects are minimal. The panic is under control, but the depression is completely gone. THANKS A MILLION ZOLOFT.”

collegekid · Taken for less than 1 month February 2, 2016

“My depression began slowly at first, then all at once I couldn't bear myself anymore. I am a sophomore in college (female). In the evenings and going on into the night, my mood dropped so fast and I would get so sad over nothing. After talking to a counsellor, and making the tough choice to medicate, she put me on a starting dose of 50 MG Zoloft. After taking the first pill, I was doing some research and had myself so freaked out that night that the side effects would be awful. I was so worried I would have to skip work or class. I have been on the medication a few weeks now and I had zero problems! I could not be more impressed. My moods are already stabilizing and I feel so much better already! Good luck to anyone starting!!”

Meyla April 8, 2013

“This worked in the way that it got me back on track and made me feel like my old bubbly self. My social skills improved because I love talking to people now. I'm generally happier. Low days are few and far between. Confidence improved and my obsessive thoughts almost ceased completely. Did not experience weight gain. No real side effects I report. This medication helps to get your mind sorted and the rest is up to you to work on yourself.”

Kristy Farrellbon May 5, 2013

“My fiance and I broke up, which made me depressed. 3 weeks later, my mother passed away. I couldn't stop crying. A hospital was testing anti-depressants on me. We decided that Zoloft worked best on me. It made it easier to cope & I finally stopped crying. Eventually I was able to get back to my normal life. I took it for about 2 months.If it makes you tired, take it before bed, which I did. I believe it saved my life.”

Lou23 September 5, 2016

“I've been on the generic sertraline 50mg for about two weeks , and I feel So much better . I was very depressed , irritable , had insomnia and felt like a total failure at life . I had a little diarrhea at first, but then I also have IBSD so I wasn't surprised . After a few days that stopped . I feel like my Old self again , like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders . I'm even singing again , I haven't done that in about a year . I was in denial for a long time , I told myself I could handle the depression -I was wrong . This is the first anti-depressant I've been on and I am very pleased with how much it has helped me.”

Ophkirb October 7, 2019

“I started this medicine Zoloft in June. Day one was totally fine. I started on 50mg. Day two is when everything went downhill. I had constant panic, I couldn’t sleep because I had awful nightmares. I swore I could hear voices while I drifted off to sleep so that would scare me. I didn’t eat and if I did I would just vomit later. I had suicidal thoughts which I’ve never felt before. I was getting treated for anxiety not depression. I also felt so spaced out and so sad, I cried a lot. My husband was so afraid for me that he missed a week of work because he was afraid to leave me alone. After an awful week things started to slowly improve. I believe by week 5 I started to feel normal. I also had my medication increased to 100mg. I carried emergency Xanax with me everywhere the first two months but stopped using it after week 8. After all that I feel completely normal and back to my old self. I do have some bad days and recently I had an increase in the medication but I’ve been pretty normal.”

PerryStudios July 15, 2009

“From first week when I took this medicine I can feel a slight change and haven't felt depression, anxiety. But as the weeks pass, I felt much better. I've got my life back, social skills, and feel like everyone else. This drug has really helped to bring my life back.”