User Reviews for Zoloft to treat Depression (Page 3)

Zoloft has an average rating of 6.8 out of 10 from a total of 537 ratings for the treatment of Depression. 57% of those users who reviewed Zoloft reported a positive effect, while 22% reported a negative effect.

Zoloft Rating Summary

6.8/10 average rating

Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Zoloft

Lolshfosns September 5, 2019

“I put down I have depression but I also have anxiety and panic attacks and OCD. Everyone is complaining about the nausea. IT GOES AWAY. Moreover usually after like two days. PLUS this time round my doctor prescribed me nausea meds for it (I went off it but am going back on because I’m depressed again). Y’all there is literally medicine that will remove the nausea. And to be honest for me it is not that bad as I have IBS as well. Zoloft basically made me chatty, happier, and gave me the inability to cry or feel sad even when I was supposed to be very sad. The inability to feel sad seems pretty good to me. And I was able to feel happy, just not sad. I quit for the sexual side effects. Don’t listen to the people complaining about nausea. I was in bed unable to move for two days from the nausea and I’m still 10/10 recommending it so trust me it’s fine.”

scotty888 · Taken for less than 1 month October 16, 2014

“I've been reading a lot of reviews on this site, let me tell those that are new to this or thinking of going on sertraline. I have horrible side effects with medication and got serotonin syndrome on citalopram. I was scared to death of going on sertraline. I'm on day 17 on 50mg and I honestly say I've not had one single side effect at all. Its starting to hit me and I feel amazing. 100 times better than having anxiety. Wow”

Dext · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 2, 2021

“I have a lot of problems. Depression was one of my worst, I stayed in bed all day, cried most of the time, didn’t take care of myself etc. My psychiatrist prescribed me Zoloft and after a few weeks there was a noticeable difference! I was quite pleased, things seemed easier to do and I still have trouble with basic things but it’s much more manageable now. Like I can help myself whereas before I was just stuck. I take 200mg daily. One tip of advise I have for medications in general: You should feel something from them. You should notice a before and after (after giving it time to kick in of course). I’m not sure if this is just common knowledge but I wish someone had told me. I spent a lot of time taking medications in the past that did nothing for me but I thought surely they must be doing something. Once I took a medication that actually worked I was like woah okay this is how it’s supposed to be.”

NewUser1 January 29, 2009

“I just started Zoloft 3 days ago and the side effects so far have been very clear. For me, I haven't been able to eat. I've never been a good eater but I don't need to lose weight and I am eating maybe half what I used to just a few days ago. Nothing seems to taste very good, and I feel full after very little food. I get nausea for about 10-15 minutes about 4-5 times a day, that I didn't have before. My head feels really weird like I can feel the chemicals running though my brain. It's really weird. I had problems sleeping before taking Zoloft so not sure if that is a side effect. A lot of good reviews - going to stick it out.”

SilvaMine May 26, 2015

“I was crippled with anxiety, depression, and nagging intrusive thoughts. Zoloft has allowed me to live again. Please don't allow the stigma and misinformation out there about antidepressants prevent you from getting help and finding relief. Once your body adjusts to Zoloft (this can take upwards of 2-4 weeks), you will find relief and peace. I used a pill cutter to cut the prescribed dose (25 mg) in half and took the half dose for two weeks. Then I increased it to the prescribed dose. This is much easier on the body. Please consider doing this so you're not overcome and discouraged by some of the initial side effects. Good luck friends.”

Jo · Taken for less than 1 month August 27, 2019

“I just recently started taken Zoloft, I'ev been taking it for almost 3 weeks so not a long time. But I've so far had a great experience with it! I have post partum depression and anxiety. It was getting very hard for me to get up during the day with my kids and do stuff. I was tired all the time, no interest in anything or going out. Now 3 weeks on Zoloft and I have started noticing I have less compulsive thought, I worry less, and I have been going to see my friends more. I still have to kind of force myself to get out and I still have my days but it’s been working very well for me. I haven’t had any side effects, which is what I was worried about. I almost didn’t take it because I was so worried and fixated on the side effects. My sex drive hasn’t been effected and I haven’t been nauseous or anything. I take it at night before bed and it’s just been really great! I’ll update if any bad side effects happen but so far it’s great!”

Alliey · Taken for less than 1 month February 15, 2015

“I was on Celexa for a year and it wasn't working for me. Then my doctor prescribed me Zoloft and it's my fourth day taking it and I love it. I finally have a clear head on my shoulders. And for the first time in a long time, I don't feel depressed at all. I would highly recommend this to anyone who suffers from depression.”

Peachpeach June 24, 2015

“I developed depression a few months ago and felt that I had truly lost my mind. I was beyond sad, crying constantly, terrifying intrusive thoughts, lost all interest in hobbies, friends, I thought that was it for me. I didn't feel that I would ever be my normal self ever again. Zoloft has completely eliminated my depression. The first week was almost unbearable but I cannot stress how much better I began to feel after about 2weeks. It is a miracle drug, I truly cannot express how well it has worked for me.”

George1972 December 18, 2015

“I've been suffering with depression coupled with anxiety for over 10 years. Its been hell ruining every aspect of my life (loss of relationships, my business etc.) After seeing so many psychiatrists I had lost hope and was getting very close to ending my life so tried to get help one more time. For the first time I met a young Doctor who listened. He prescribed me Zoloft 50mg. The change = I left my house within 2 weeks (major agoraphobia for 8 months) started talking to people, going out again with friends, preparing to launch my business again and I feel happy. Not manic, HAPPY and measured. I'm praying that I stay this way. There is hope out there. Don't give up guys. :)”

Bad mood February 3, 2020

“Thank you all for sharing your experiences. I was on Zoloft 10 years ago ( back in 2009), for 6-7 months only, took only a dose 50mg (started with 25mg) per day for mild depression ( or rather bad moods). It worked well for me and had no side effects, maybe I was drinking more water only (dry mouth feeling). I felt very happy - my mood was up , even maybe a little too high ( my friends noticed that as well), but I felt happier, also I became very brave :-) started to tell people things i would usually be afraid to do before. So my doctor smiled at me and said - congratulations , you are healthy now! So after 6 months I discontinued ( slowly dosage down), as I felt totally fine. I would love to take again this medicine, but I am very sad to read the reviews and wonder that they have changed the formula of Zoloft and side effects have gone worst :-(..is this is true? Why would they do that? Anyone could share their experience old zoloft and recent formula zoloft effects? Thanks”

Blue rose · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 18, 2014

“On 50mg for 4 weeks then increased to 100mg for depression, panic attacks and obsessional thinking. I had few side effects, a slight hand tremor, yawning and difficulty sleeping. The only thing that lingered was the insomnia, but now that has settled down and I sleep okay. I feel so much better, panic attacks gone, obsessive compulsive disorder gone and my mood is lifting daily. I am enjoying life again and this medicine has been so right for me.”

Luna · Taken for less than 1 month December 22, 2020

“I always was scared to take an antidepressant, just because of the side effects . Zoloft is not that bad, as soon as I took it my mind and my thoughts calm. I did have few side effects, dizziness and nausea. I had to take few days off from work to get used to the medicine. I recommend to be with someone, taking the medicine. Also, do the homework and eat well and some kind of physical activity. Be patient with this medication. Good luck !”

WanderingMind7 March 20, 2014

“Zoloft. You made me REALIZE, I've been locked out of HEAVEN for too long (I've been dancing and cleaning on this Bruno Mars song all morning). That's how I feel on my medication! I'm on day 4 of 50 mg and I'm supposed to increase it to 100mg after 10 days. I have been having side effects since the first day such as shaking, abdominal pain, insomnia but nothing too major compared too what the "Beast" (yes! I call my anxiety the beast hehe) had me endure before. So I really don't mind those side effects because I know what's ahead of me is going to be spectacular. I've never had so much faith in my life before, at least not that I remember.”

Nurse Nan · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 16, 2014

“I am 39 years old, was a new nurse and struggling with major depression. I had not been to a Dr in years and broke down crying at the first visit. Started 50 mg a day. Felt a little funny first couple days but now feel much better! Everyone noticed a change for the better and even got a promotion at work! Feel so much better and have not had any side effects!”

Framous October 25, 2013

“I just wanted to say that if you find a medication that works well for you, stay on it! The mistake that I have made and others make far too often is to quit the meds once you feel better. If you feel bad before you find the right med that makes you feel better, then you should keep in mind that it is the med that's working. If it's working, stay on it. If you have been diagnosed. With ADHD or Bipolar, or a combination like many have, it's probably not going away...it's there to stay. I will agree that it sucks being labeled with any mental condition, and I know it's no fun taking meds, especially meds for the head....but if they work, and you need them...stay on them! Life is short, so enjoy it as much as possible!”

Lulu · Taken for less than 1 month March 18, 2019

“Week three I am feeling amazing and back to doing the things I enjoy. The first two weeks were horrible with nausea, fog and anxiety. But I read on the link that you need to stick it out. So I did and I’m glad. 50mg perfect dose. I no longer dwell on my situation and I see all the positives. I noticed I find it very hard to cry. The dog across the road died and it was heartbreaking but I couldn’t cry. I can still think feel and be creative.”

Eceenal February 28, 2021

“I started taking Zoloft 6 months ago due to extreme depression and generalized anixety disorder (too much overthinking and worrying due to over thinking) been prescribed with 25mg. It has helped me a lot. Though I still feel depressed from time to time. Still get anxious and insomnia. This is NOT the first time I have taken Zoloft. The first time I was a child (bad idea) for sure I had a higher dosage due to that had and serious episode. After that around the age of 18-20 I took it the first 4 days (am) caused me to have a serious Panic Attack at the middle the night. I stopped taking it. It was a very low dosage. Nothing bad happen, though I had suicidal ideas. It has not been easy. All I can say is life is not easy. Never will be, but let us be positive and make the most of it. Be thankful for the good days.”

Louann September 9, 2018

“Just take these reviews with a grain of salt. A lot of reviews after taking one day, couple weeks etc. you need a full three months for maximum effectiveness. Not that it takes that long to start getting relief. Side effects are common while your body adjusts. Some of them will go away. I had no troublesome side effects with Zoloft. I always have to start out gradually. Maybe even more than they say bc I’m sensitive to meds. I got big relief from depression. Panic attacks went away. OCD went away. The cons are it made me not very motivated, felt kind of numb to strong feelings. Not feeling urgency about my life. I wouldn’t take it again for years bc it blocked my clear perspective. But it was great to get me stabilized. Things that really help but can’t completely replace anti dep is fish oil, vit d, exercise, sunlight, folate like spinach , lentils really good. Also diet really helps. Get a book called the good mood diet. Best wishes”

Ruhrohraggy34 July 8, 2017

“20 year old college student. I've had OCD since I was a kid (depression since junior year of high school) but only within the last year did I make the choice to take an SSRI. There's a lot of ambiguity surrounding antidepressants, and you can't really extract much from reviews without feeling reluctant. Yes, there are side effects that appear within the early stages. It is scary to ingest a drug you know little about. However, I can feel happy again, which I thought I had lost the ability to do. I don't believe everything is hopeless, which I, truthfully, thought I'd feel the rest of my life. It's been a lifesaver, and at 100mg, nothing feels inherently different about myself. It's just a tablet. Don't let it be more than it ought to be.”

Kitten.666 June 21, 2017

“20 y/o female, prescribed 50mg for major depressive disorder, social anxiety, and just overall generalized anxiety. Been on 50mg for 3 months now. Side effects were minor which consisted of insomnia, loss of appetite, and nausea.. though they subsided within the first few weeks and I now experience none. I love Zoloft! I can live again! I'm laughing and going out with friends, not laying in bed all day. I can finally breath, my surroundings seem so much brighter, I don't harbor hate anymore, I'm me again...More ambitious and creative like I was before I fell into this self destructive path of depression two years ago. I no longer have the desire to self medicate with drugs and alcohol. I wish I got on Zoloft a long time ago.”

Babylady83 March 2, 2017

“If you are scrolling through 1000's of reviews like I was, this one is for you. I started Zoloft three weeks ago for Major Depression and overwhelming anxiety and panic attacks. I started at 25mg for a week, then up to 50mg. Initially, I felt a million times worse, constant panic attacks, increase in suicidal intrusive thoughts, deep depression. But, after just 1 week at 50mg, I noticed a difference in mood, and it's been better and better since. Fight through the initial worsening of symptoms if you can! I asked for xanax to help me get through it. It definitely gets worse before it gets better for some people, but it was 100% worth it for me! I also had slight nausea, a sore neck, and some dizziness that all seem to be subsiding.”

L.R. · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 1, 2015

“I've suffered with anxiety for years but finally came to a head a few years ago. Had some personal family issues that became overwhelming. I was always mad, sad, frustrated, you name it and that was me. My brain could not stop thinking about my problems. It was very tiring. I finally went to the doctor and he prescribed Zolft 25 mg. For the first few days I felt like brain waves going on in my head but no big deal. Within 2 weeks I started feeling happy! A few months later the doctor put me up to 50 mg. I felt the brain waves again for about 48 hours and then stopped. I've been on Zolft for about one year. It was the best thing I could have done for myself. Oh I can still get mad or sad but not as severe or for as long.”

AnneJay · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 5, 2017

“My original post was 10/2/16-had great results immediately on 50mg daily. I am able to hold down a full time job that I love, which was impossible prior to Zoloft. Rarely have anxiety anymore, my relationship with my husband has improved, and the constant "internal storm" is gone. At 51, I finally feel HAPPY!!! Keep trying everyone!”

PrincessProsper April 30, 2017

“I wanna take the time out to thank who ever invented Zoloft. I use to be so depressed, I didn't want to be around my kids or my husband. I would tell my husband I was tired of existing. My life was turning inside out. So I knew I needed help so I talk to my doctor I explained to her what I was going through and she said Zoloft would be perfect. I didn't want to believe I needed meds but coming to find out it wasn't bad at all. I'm happy now my kids love to play with me and think I'm so cool!!! My husband who was so patient just loves all over me and he's proud I didn't give it. I'm only 28 yrs old and I feel like I'm a teen all over!!! Thanks Zoloft”

Anxiety Boy · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 26, 2019

“This drug Zoloft changed my entire life. After years of use I tried to taper off. Took my time over months to taper off. Would prefer to not be on any drugs if possible. But anxiety and depression have returned. Will be starting back up this week. Have tried several times over the years to try without this drug. Always end up starting back up.”