User Reviews for Zoloft to treat Depression (Page 5)

Zoloft has an average rating of 6.8 out of 10 from a total of 537 ratings for the treatment of Depression. 57% of those users who reviewed Zoloft reported a positive effect, while 22% reported a negative effect.

Zoloft Rating Summary

6.8/10 average rating

Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Zoloft

I love Zoloft December 7, 2012

“I started using Zoloft on Wednesday the 5th of December 2012. Todays date is the 8th of Dember 2012. 4 days, it has only taken 4 days for me to feel like a new person. I have been on it before, therefore i know what side effects to expect. Everybody is different but i suffered from loss of appetite, headaches, nausea, a bit dizz, lower back pain, trembling hands. This only lasts for a week or two. I used to cry for no reason (even at work), snap at my partner for stupid things, i was paranoid over everything, socially scared (always wanted to stay home). I haven't cried since being on Zoloft, nor snap at my partner. I am a new person now. I'm so happy and look forward to my new life. 100/100.”

Blossomangel March 8, 2013

“This medication has turned me around and I had none of the side effects. I initially requested it from my doctor because, whilst I did not really have any problems, I had a negative outlook despite trying to be positive and I was not enjoying 'life' at all. It has really helped with all this and as an added bonus I feel that I have more energy. I went back to my doctor and said "We hit the nail on the head". Previously I was looking for the magic vitamin pill to help reduce my stress and increase my energy levels. I tried vitamin B, Iron, and multivitamins to no avail. I no longer feel the need to take any vitamins at all. I'll continue to take this as needed and have no reservations about taking anti-depressants.”

Sarah · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 5, 2018

“When my doctor prescribed me Zoloft I was scared of the side effects and put off taking it for a few days. Now I could not be happier that I started taking it though. I have been on 50mg for almost 5 weeks and have not noticed any side effects.... my depression has gotten so much better. I wake up excited about the day and just feel generally happy and nothing feels so difficult anymore. I haven’t cried once since starting the medication whereas beforehand I was crying every day and all I wanted to do was lay in bed. My friends and family as well as myself have all noticed a huge difference in me. I’m so happy with my progress on Zoloft so far. I am hoping that it helps improve my general and social anxiety soon because I have not seen much of an improvement there but I know it can take 8 weeks. Definitely recommend this medication and don’t be scared to start taking it! The side effects are rare and it will be the best decision of your life.”

MayraP December 30, 2016

“Long story short I finally felt compelled to try anti depressants. I had experienced depression for a couple of years and had bouts of anxiety. Last straw were symptoms similar to bipolar disorder. Like mania. I had been so reluctant to try meds. But man I'm glad I did. I'm sad I didn't try them before. My life these couple years would have been so much better, less traumatic. I started 50 mg of sertraline in July. Right away I noticed my mood improved. I used to be short tempered. Now I am more patient. I stopped crying every two days out of frustration due to my sons tantrums or misbehaviour.( challenging toddler) or from feeling overwhelmed with house work. Little by little that fog of depression started to dissipate. I am happy now.”

Jay September 3, 2019

“This medication was a life saver for me. I didn't care about anything or even life before I started this medicine. My depression was severe and depression as well as anxiety runs in my family. I know some people don't like medication and some people with less severe depression or anxiety might be able to do without it. Everyone is different. I have learned that depression is a disorder for some though because the mood chemicals like seratonin and dopamine just don't work accurately in the brain for some of us without medication. It can be similar to anemia where the body struggles with lack of iron for the blood. If you need medication to get through don't feel bad because you can't control the chemicals in your own brain. I just worry about the possibilities of the system building a tolerance. Hopefully that wont happen though as it didn't with another medication I have taken for sixteen years for epilepsy.”

Summer · Taken for less than 1 month March 17, 2019

“I have taken a few antidepressants just looking for perfect fit. DO NOT TAKE ZOLOFT my side effects were so severe I have been out of work for 2 weeks. Prozac was probably the best. My experience was so bad that I now take 0 meds because of the ill effects. I can give you pointers on natural remedies.”

Erider · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 20, 2012

“I have suffered from depression for a long time, but never believed it. I always said "It's a rough patch, I'll come out of it soon" ..8 years on, I was down and out and suicidal. My Dr. recommended Zoloft. I was skeptical and afraid of playing with my emotions. I thought depressed was just "Me". But I gave it a go, after 3.5 weeks, the most wonderful thing has happened. I feel NORMAL. I can cope with my day, I am hopeful about the future. There were side effects for the first week, I took my pill at night which helped and kept up the exercise, they passed. If I can give any advice it's don't be afraid to take control of your body and don't feel guilty if you decide to try medicines, listen to your Dr. You deserve to be happy.”

Mommyof2minigents July 23, 2019

“I take the generic drug of Zoloft 50 mg daily (time varies). It took about 2 months to work. Before it started working I couldn't get off my couch :( I'd just lay there and eat! I was MISERABLE! I gained so much weight I started to have trouble cleaning myself! I literally had 5 rolls of fat going up my back! I started Zoloft generic, and after 2 months I found myself at the gym working out. Next thing I know I'm eating less. I also hired a personal trainer. Two additional months go by and now I find myself going to the gym 5-7 times a week. 17lbs dropped! I'm confident! I enjoy the smiles from strangers and no longer feel people are saying bad things about me. However, I did experience a bad side effect. SEVERE HEARTBURN. One day I decided to just swallow the pill and not take it with water. Heartburn came on so bad I swore I was going to DIE! After that I took my zoloft generic meds with water, but the heart burn continued for about a week before going away completely.”

Buckythecat · Taken for 10 years or more January 3, 2014

“I have to say that Zoloft saved my life. I have been on it for over 10 years but about a year and half ago I switched to another pill just to try it. WHY I don't know, should have never left Zoloft. I then started to take a muscle relaxer for a sore shoulder, BE VERY CAREFUL in taking other medications with any antidepressants. The dread, the worthlessness the crying all came back. Back on Zoloft for about a week and I can function once again. THANK YOU ZOLOFT.”

Nicolefreel · Taken for less than 1 month January 9, 2020

“I went on Zoloft for 4 days. I had been on it before and did not experience any side effects. However this time I experienced every side effect in the book, dizziness, drowsiness, hot flashes, nervousness, shaking, nausea and vomiting, diarrhea. Most importantly, my mental state declined immensely. I felt 100x worse on the pill than before taking it. I had uncontrollable crying, anxiety attacks and feelings of hopelessness. I really scared myself and I felt that I was never going to get better. And this was only after 4 days of being on the medication and I was at my lowest point I ever have been. This was not the right medication for me.”

B.A May 22, 2015

“Absolutely changed my life. I am a 20 year old female who has struggled with depression and irritability since roughly 13. I tried meditation, I tried the "power of positive thinking", I tried listening to podcasts, I tried counseling. Nothing helped me until zoloft. I've been taking zoloft for 5 weeks. I had minor side affects for the first couple days (looser stool, headaches, stomach aches) but nothing I couldn't handle and they went away after 2-3 days as I got used to the medication. I'm currently taking 50 mg and don't plan on increasing. I feel overall happier. I'm not as irritable and things that I used to hate (going to work) are no longer even bad. I feel more myself, and like I'm not afraid to be outgoing. Highly recommended”

Trusso18 July 18, 2015

“I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder, severe depression and OCD when I was around 18 years old. I couldn't do anything and shut down. I went to a mental hospital to take classes on how to cope and I began trying different types of SSRI's. I tried two others and I felt horrible on them both then I tried Zoloft. My mom made me stick with it even though I was skeptical. I started with 25, 50, then to 75 ml. Nothing helped. As soon as I went up to 100 ml is when I felt my life coming back. I could feel emotions of happiness, and felt like life had finally had a meaning to it. I was able to be okay again and felt like this medicine saved my life. The thing that is hardest is all the people judging saying "you're on so many Meds"”

Nicoleee · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 10, 2018

“I was placed on zoloft after being on citalopram for 3 years. I was on 25 mg Zoloft for about a week and bumped to 50mg for 21 days. Then bumped to 75 mg where I’ve been for 3 weeks. So about 7 weeks total. My anxiety is gone & I’m way more mellow. I had two job interviews and didn’t have any panic or meltdowns. So that’s great. I noticed I’m way more apathetic and that my libido is gone. I still have days where I’m empty feeling (even though I have tons of friends and family that I adore) and where I cry. I also feel very spacey at times. I function okay I think and I am able to take care of errands, the household, and my child. I may lower back down to 50mg if I continue to feel numb on 75 mg after 8 weeks. This medicine isn’t scary, don’t be afraid to try it. Please also remember that it takes months for it to start working and some people stop taking this medicine early before it could of begun to help.”

Abbeyjd · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 16, 2017

“I took Zoloft (generic) shortly after my anxiety got horribly severe. I took lexapro a few years ago but didn't like the sexual side effects. Doctor put me on Prozac but that appeared to put me into a deep depression. I had never had depression, just anxiety but I couldn't get out of bed I was just paralyzed. After a few weeks of that I decided to try Zoloft. Within the first three weeks I felt tremendously better. By 6 weeks I felt totally back to normal and NO sexual side effects! This has been my miracle drug”

40 year old F · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 19, 2017

“Got prescribed Zoloft after my 20 year relationship ended after my ex husband became addicted to meth. I was very depressed and couldn't control my thoughts about the situation, I had a hard time sleeping, zoning out, focusing, and adjusting to my normal everyday life. I started on 25 mg for about 3 weeks then increased to 50 mg. I've been on 50mg for a couple months and feel so much better. I can focus on my life again and never break down crying anymore etc. I had no side effects besides loose stool here and there. I like how there were no real side effects for me and it did what I was seeking. I would recommend to try Zoloft before other medications. I will not increase my dosage.”

Anon June 13, 2018

“I wanted to share my experience to give people hope. Four months ago, I started having debilitating panic attacks almost daily, which then turned into a constant anxiety, not wanting to leave the house or do anything anymore, insomnia and the deepest depression I have ever known. I tried whatever I could to rid myself of it... meditation, therapy, self help books, diet, supplements. I had been very anti medication for myself. The first 3 days on Zoloft weren’t easy. I had insomnia, was shaky and felt agitated, zoning out and crying and crying. I am on day 4 now and I woke up this morning with the clearest mind. I haven’t felt like this in as long as I can remember. I feel so positive. I know it’s only early days but this gives me enormous hope. I am increasing my dose and pushing through any side effects. Don’t suffer endlessly as I have.”

Lex · Taken for 10 years or more November 21, 2019

“I have been on Brand Name Zoloft for 15 Years. I finished College and even obtained my Masters. Pfizer Pharmaceuticals then changed the molecular formula this year. I noticed it the second I opened the bottle - blue colored but a BRIGHT BLUE vs a LIGHT BLUE. The difference has cost me my JOB - I am a Travel Writer/Author/former English Teacher and I have reached the point of not even being able to Spell! I bought out the original 2019 Bottles from every Walgreens, CVS, Walmart, etc. in the area. It worked immediately half the Pharmacists scoffed at me, half stated I was allergic to an inactive ingredient. I have become suicidal for the first time in 30 years. I tried switching over to the 100 mg Zoloft - WORSE. The 50 mg Zoloft has kept me stable all of these decades and Pfizer no longer manufactures that EXACT pill. Of course I contacted them; they won't do a thing. Sounds crazy but there is SUCH a devastating Difference.”

torihime April 4, 2008

“I was previously taking Lexapro for my major depression, but once I started having panic attacks, my doctor switched me to Zoloft. So far, the panic is gone, and my depression has similarly been suppressed. The only problem seems to be the side effects. I can't really eat that much anymore, and have succeeded in losing a fair amount of weight. I also have the "shakes" where my hands tremble. Though, as other people have said, the effectiveness of the medicine outweighs the side effects.”

Shannicky · Taken for less than 1 month September 4, 2016

“I have been on 50mg of Zoloft for a little over 3 weeks now. For the first week I noticed no change then gradually I was feeling better. It has given me more energy and i feel I have a more positive attitude. I was overeating a lot due to stress and depression that has completely subsided. Since I started taking it I have lost 19 pounds. That has also really helped with my depression. I am scared of my body getting used to it and go back to my regular habits. As for now I am happy.”

Serenamine · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 6, 2014

“I took Sertraline for Moderate Depression which it was exceptionally good at diminishing. I have been taking it for just under 6 weeks for moderate depression, social anxiety and generalised anxiety. It worked for depression the best, by far; however, not half as good for the anxiety, perhaps because it requires a higher dose and longer intake. Definitely consider Sertraline for depression, its side effects were minimal (if any because it was so unnoticeable).”

Val · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 14, 2020

“Horrible, I was constantly sad on Zoloft, never wanted to leave my house or do anything. I never really felt happy, I was always just kinda mellow and sad. When I finally got off of it was was actually happy and chose not to go on any medication at all and I’ve been doing great ever since”

Kel · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 29, 2021

“I've gained weight, but this is the only med that has worked for me - so far. I tried wellbutrin and found that it did not help me at all. I will say my anxiety could be better so I am looking for something else currently.”

BlazeOfSolitude October 27, 2009

“I was prescribed Zoloft for depression. I had tried Wellbutrin and Lexapro in the past with little results. With Zoloft at first the side-effects were tough. Also, I was having sexual side-effects. Lacking desire (which is not normal for me), and the inability to achieve orgasm. I decided to try taking my pills in the morning, rather than at night like I had been doing. After a couple of days past on with my new schedule, the sexual side effects subsided and I'm back to normal with that. I never knew an anti-depressant could help so much, but it has REALLY helped me!”

praisetheking March 20, 2008

“My postpartum depression, emotional outbursts, and anxiety was intense and Zoloft brought me immediate relief. In time, I felt that this medication provided me with a steady platform for me to function in life with. I can still cry, but my constant sadness is gone. I still feel emotion, but my uncontrollable outbursts ended. I can't seem to loose weight, but who knows if it is related to the Zoloft. I don't think I'll take Zoloft forever, but it sure has made a TREMENDOUS difference!”

Lizbee1 · Taken for less than 1 month March 5, 2016

“So far this drug has saved my life. After experiencing a traumatic experience I spiralled into a heavy depression coupled with anxiety. It's only been one week and I'm no longer crying daily and the hopeless feeling is subsiding. It's also helped stopped the obsessive thoughts I've been having about the traumatic event.”