User Reviews for Zoloft to treat Social Anxiety Disorder

Zoloft Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 12 medications used in the treatment of Social Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Zoloft

"Barely effective, TERRIBLE withdrawal period even with slow weaning, irreversible motor symptoms post-withdawal (akathesia)"

Twitchy (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 10, 2019

"Zoloft was prescribed to manage my generalized anxiety disorder. I took 50 mg per day for four years. I feel it worked well. I've also been to talk therapy to work on these issues so I'm not forever dependent on medication. It was my plan to wean myself at some point. I forgot my medication for a week long vacation recently. I guess you could say I was thrown into an involuntary cold turkey withdrawal. Within a couple days, I experienced overwhelming nausea. It has been 17 days since I took Zoloft and the nausea is still pretty strong. Aside from the nausea, I have experienced a low grade headache and brain fog. Had I known the withdrawal symptoms were challenging, I might have strongly reconsidered this medication. I used to take Clonazepam on as as needed basis for anxiety and did not experience any withdrawal symptoms. I hope these nausea symptoms improve soon. I rate this medications effectiveness for me at a 9 but rate it as a 1 for withdrawal."

LVD1263 January 30, 2019

"It works!!!!! First month it's going be terrible but don't give up!!! Stay strong because in 6-8 weeks you will feel sooo much better. I kept giving up and one day I said let me stay strong and I did it! In 4 weeks I took 50mg daily and then 100g then I noticed the difference and started to feel like myself again! :)"

Pink (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 27, 2018

"Was prescribed Zoloft after many stomach issues that caused Anxiety. Dr's seem to want to put everyone on an SSRI that have a million side effects. Zoloft gave me horrible stomach pain that just became unbearable. It seemed to make me happy right away but the stomach pain lasted 8-9 hours a day and got worse each day. I gave it a 5 because it seemed to be doing something if it wasn't for the pain....God bless the people it helps"

blue-sky (taken for less than 1 month) December 24, 2018

"I really had a great experience with Zoloft. When I first started the medication, I was on cloud 9. I felt happier than I had in years. My anxiety improved dramatically. Sadly, as time went on (years into taking it), my body stop responding as well. My Dr raised my dosage - as high as 150mg. At that dosage, I felt like a zombie. I was tired all the time, so I had to stop taking it. Still the best SSRI I have tried..."

Pat F (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 8, 2018

"This medication worked very well for my social anxiety, the main reason I was taking it. Started taking it in Nov. 2015 when I was 17. As the years went maybe in late 18/ 19 years old I believe that I have changed and developed with life changes and all that which has effected how my brain works. During this time the dose I was taking increased. The highest dose I took before I no longer want to take it was 150 mg. Though it still helped with the social aspect of my life I now struggle harder with the depression side also other things and that makes it, for me, seem pointless to keep taking it as my social anxiety doesn't seem to be my main issue anymore. Things happen and everyone is constantly changing so I think it was affective when it was needed. -11/08/2018"

DazzlingBird (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 9, 2018

"I started this medication a week ago for anxiety and IBS. Within the first 24 hours of taking it, I was already experiencing almost all the side effects. Nausea, increased anxiety, dizziness, loss of appetite, headache, stomach pain, and drowsiness. I kept taking it because the side effects should subside after a week or two, but they were too severe to continue taking it. I lost 4 pounds in a week and I became so weak from not eating that I couldn’t function well. I stopped taking it today and my appetite is starting to come back."

dvoshn (taken for less than 1 month) November 8, 2018

"I have suffered for about 20 yrs with extreme social anxiety, I used to drink (way to much) just to get thru family and friend functions, to the point I would not go at all to them as I got too drunk and made a worse fool of myself .. but since my doctor prescribed Zoloft to me, although it has taken nearly a year to feel the relaxed normal feeling that most people have . I now go out and focus on the people talking, usually I’m more preoccupied with my nerves.. now I don’t even realise I’m not anxious and moving around in my seat or talking too fast hoping no one would talk to me as I would get red and stutter and embarrassed. From my experience would highly recommend it.. it does take a while ,but if you like me avoided social experiences , it’s worth the wait xx"

Lee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 2, 2018

"I am a teenage girl and I was on zoloft for almost 2 months. At first, it worked really well. I felt like a badass, like I could do anything. It really helped my anxiety and depression at first. Then, after a while, I felt like a zombie. I could feel nothing except for anger. I was so mad all the time. I became so cold and mean, I was rude to all my friends and even if I tried to stop this, the mean words would just come out."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 30, 2018

"I think Zoloft caused permanent brain damage and more depression than I had before. I was only on 50mg for about 3 or 4 months but started having serious memory problems like having no clue where I parked. Not even a general direction. The scariest part was that I noticed when people were talking to me things stopped registering. Like I was trying to listen but couldn't. I stopped taking it hoping this would go away but it didn't after over 2 yrs now. And now I'm left with more depression than before and serious cognitive issues. I might not be able to keep my job or function in life anymore. It did make me feel better and be more social but wasn't worth it."

Aaronavich (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2018

"After three weeks of taking zoloft it started working. And for three whole days, it was working incredibly well. My social anxiety was practically gone, I was confident and talkative. However, the next day it started creeping back, it seems that I've already built up a tolerance. Now 4 weeks in, it barely working at all, for social anxiety or depression."

Danjwp (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 16, 2018

"If society wouldn't shame people for taking medication for things out of their control, I would have and should have been on this medication as a child. 20 odd years late though, boy could life had been different. No looking back now!"

T (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 12, 2018

"Zoloft is effective but side effects can be too much sometimes. However it totally eliminated my social anxiety."

Miraywa (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 7, 2018

"I suffered from social anxiety for as long as I can remember and I fell into a depression that left me unable to function when I was 22. I had problems with concentration, memory and I was suicidal in the end. I started using Zoloft 50mg and it made a huge difference after a couple of weeks. My head 'cleared', I could finally think and I started to be more outspoken. I actually liked being the centre of attention and I didn't find speaking with guys a problem anymore and started a relationship soon after that. Public speaking was still a problem but at least I could go through it quite clearheaded and not black out. It has been 6 years that I'm on Zoloft and my life is completely different. I am a little scared of the idea of taking it my whole life but I'm more scared of the life without it. I had minor side effects, like the shakes and vertigo but nothing else, I was lucky."

Holdegrade (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 30, 2018

"Don’t give up! It took 8 weeks for it to work for me! I was on paxil since I was 18 (I’m now 43), but the older I got the worse weight gain got so I switched to Zoloft. I had morning anxiety and loss of appetite for the first 7 weeks. By week 8 I noticed it was going away. I’m on week 10 and I’m feeling myself again. I take 200mg."

Tippykanoe (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 15, 2018

"This drug gave my life back! I suffered from severe social anxiety and panic attacks of course. Only in 10 days I started to see the difference. Now it has been three weeks and I feel fine! Negative thoughts have disappeared and I'm not getting easily stressed about everything as I used to do so."

Dora (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2018

"15 years on Zoloft and has it been a life changer. I feel great and social anxiety is 100% gone. Along with counseling take this medication and you can be the person you were meant to be. Life is too short to spend full of worry and anxiety. No side affects for me."

MrCalm (taken for 10 years or more) July 19, 2018

"Taken this medicine for some years now (4-5). The first few weeks I felt dizzy and my mind was blurry. Which for me was a good thing back then. After like 3 weeks I felt much better and it improved my self esteem around people. Like I could be myself again. I started taking 50 mg a day before bedtime. But now I'm trying to get of it, and its difficult because of the side affects. I feel dizzy and get easily stressed out. Some days are very good and some not so great. I am alternating between 25mg and 12.5mg the day after now and it works still. If you are planning to start this medication yourself, I highly recommend it if you can't do everyday-things on your own. Hope this helped. Good luck! (English not my language) =)"

Zol (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 15, 2018

"I have been taking Zoloft for about 8 months now. I used to be so anxious and worried about everything all of the time- I had crippling social anxiety. My face would shake whenever I had to talk to large groups of people. I no longer feel like this- I feel FREE. I actually look forward to social events and talking with others! I also didn't experience any numbing of emotions or sexual issues; the only side effect I'd say I've had was an increased sensitivity to alcohol. Something to be monitored for sure! I definitely did not think the medication was working as it took a very long time to take effect- at least 2 months till I noticed a difference. But now that I have been on it for a good amount of time, I can honestly say I feel normal, finally. If you're thinking of trying this medication, I would strongly recommend it. However, be patient and don't lose hope if you don't see result right away. Its all so worth it in the end!"

Zoloft (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 16, 2018

"I had a bad reaction to Zoloft-akathesia-which is this horrid feeling of internal restlessness/buzzing. Also caused severe insomnia. It seemed to work very well for my Social Anxiety however."

Tiwi (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2018

"My now 18 year old daughter has always dealt with anxiety type issues that we managed on our own. If she didn't want to go anywhere it was easy to chalk it up to being an introvert. However, the loneliness and avoidance went far beyond "being an introvert". By the time she entered her senior yr in high school, she was spiralling into a black hole. She finally agreed to therapy and medication. Prozac was awful, sertraline was great. The low doses helped some anxiety but at 100mg, she flourished. No more holed up in her room, avoiding going to the store, or near panic attacks for having to place a phone call. She is smiling, singing and dancing! She is also finally able to form connections with people. Her biggest complaint is that she has put on some weight (maybe 10lbs). I asked her- do you want to be the ultra thin, unhappy girl who hide in her room or would you rather walk around with that gorgeous smile of yours? My only regret is waiting."

Relieved mom February 5, 2018

"I was experiencing horrible anxiety attacks I felt like I was having a heart attack, I was scared to fall asleep and not wake up. I was scared to drive, I felt like I was going crazy. My doctor started me on Zoloft 25mg which made it worst at first BUT than she increased it to 50mg and after a few weeks and I started feeling about 50% better so on my next visit I was increased to 100mg and I was terrified to increase it. Now I'm doing about 90% better, sometimes I feel like I'm about to get an anxiety attack but after a few seconds it goes away. I have a follow up appointment in 6 weeks we'll see what my Doctor says. If you're going through this and your Doctor prescribes you medication take it & say a prayer"

LAUREZZY (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 4, 2018

"If your scared to try something new I completely understand! I was really nervous about trying Zoloft, but I have to say I'm happy I did! I've only been taking it for a week for my anxiety disorder, stress, ptsd and depression. It has helped me feel more balanced and I'm a lot more calm. I'm happier and I can tell it helps me not have so many negative thoughts that bring on my anxiety about things. I can tell it's helping become a better mom and wife already. I hope it continues to work for me, because I was under a lot of stress and always worrying about stuff and I couldn't take the way I felt anymore. I had nausea and dizziness like the first 2 days, but then it went away. Stick with it if you want to see a difference! :)"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2017

"My Doctor prescribed this for anxiety. 10mg. Although it seemed to help my physical affects of anxiety it made everything else much worse. Tired, anxious, head aches, brain zaps, ringing in ears, spacey, edgy, and not myself at all. I was turning into a walking zombie. It was awful. I couldn't tell if it was my anxiety or the side effects. I thought I was going crazy for 6 months. I finally talked to a Therapist and he took me off of Zoloft and put me on Lexapro. Which was much better but still pretty awful. I finally found the courage to ween myself off over a period of two months and I feel GREAT! So thankful to be myself again. Please make sure you really need to be on these before you take them. Do your research and good luck!"

vincent zoloft bad (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 17, 2017

"I thought I would share today my experience with zoloft. 2 months ago I was the anxious one on here reading all the reviews on medications, every one and there was positive and negatives. So worried about taking an "antidepressant". I suffered daily with SEVERE anxiety and panic attacks to where I would have a panic attack sometimes for a few hours. It was awful. And because I felt like that so often I would say I had mild depression. Just hopeless. Could anything help my anxiety ? This medicine has changed my life for the better. I started at 25mg and still felt bad, no improvement even after 5 weeks. My doctor upped me to 50mg and within a week I felt 100x better. I had no side effects other than 2/3 headaches. My advice to you, try it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 17, 2017