User Reviews for Zoloft to treat Social Anxiety Disorder

Zoloft Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 12 medications used in the treatment of Social Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Zoloft

A Peeps · Taken for less than 1 month June 22, 2019

"I'm 2.7 weeks in on taking Zoloft and finally getting the full effects of this drug. It too much, too strong. I'm definitely calmer but three days ago I started to loose motor function and 2.5 days ago I couldn't walk or situp in bed on my own. Working to flush this stuff out if my system. I'm also on daily levothyroxine, a very low dose."

1465saw · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 6, 2019

"I took zoloft for about 3 years and they were the worst years if my life. I was prescribed it to help with my anxiety and depression but the symptoms did not only improve but I felt really messed up in the head. Friends who also took the drug complained about the same issue but we all had to keep taking it because the psychiatrist ensured that it works perfectly. It takes weeks to kick in and I had really dark thoughts occasionally but only when on this medication or other SSRI's. I feel that this medication is more dangerous than helpful and suggest that you stay away and try something else that is not an SSRI"

DQ · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 31, 2019

"I started taking this drug 50mg for social anxiety and depression and this has truly been amazing. At first reading some of the negative reviews and not focusing on the positive one I was nervous about trying it, but enough was enough. For the first few weeks yeah there were some side effects but they were not as severe as I thought. They went away after about a month. What this drug will do is meet you half way and provides a better outlook on things. Do I still have anxiety at times, of course, but its no where near what it used to be. This drug will meet you half way. Its nice going out in public and interacting with people, I didn't realize how normal it was. The meds work, but you have to want to change for you to really notice it. Hope this helps ya'll."

sabxbro · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 30, 2019

"I was both fearful & against taking any form of medication. I gave in & I do not regret it. I did not realize how effective Zoloft was until I decreased my dose. I started on 25mg, then 50mg did the trick for a while, & I ended with 75mg. I was less aggravated, let things roll off my shoulder more, performed better at work, less depressed, a little numb, focused better, more social & confident etc. My personal experience was more than decent honestly. The reason why I decreased & plan to go on something different is because I felt I was gaining a bit of weight & it helped depression more than anxiety. In addition, I began having racing thoughts, struggled to stay asleep, & it gave me acid reflux. I was not comfortable increasing the dose in fear I'd have to increase more & more while also being fearful I'd gain more weight & have worsening acid reflux. Do not let the negatives scare you, this medication worked for me for the time being & I encourage anyone to give this a try for sure!"

Myliene April 21, 2019

"I've been on Sertraline for two years now. I was prescribed it for social anxiety which I suffered from for as long as I can remember. It took around 3 months to start to work. The first month or two was hard. The side effects were difficult to get through. Feeling out of it, dizzy, unable to sleep, clenched jaw at night but I stuck it out and they went away. I have no anxiety and feel comfortable in social situations now. I'm happier and get less angry. It's completely changed my life."

User · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 17, 2019

"I have been on zoloft now for 7 years. In that time I stopped taking it 2 times. I have diagnosed social anxiety and OCD. Here is what I can tell you. When I started to take Zoloft I was 18 years old. The first month it did little, but after that it changed my life. I became more social. Intrusive thoughts are gone. I have control over my life. I stopped taking them twice because I thought that I’m cured. The withdrawal was both times somewhat manic. But after a few months all my symptoms came back. I had come to a conclusion that I just need Zoloft to function. If it’s for life to be functional then so it be. Life is much better with these medication. For all people that are new to this drug you must know that it takes some time to kick in. But like I said, it is worth it. Side effects for me are occasional - can sleep more than 8 hours, but yet again, I was always a good sleeper. Wish you all the best. My dose 100mg"

Random Stranger · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 12, 2019

"I am a 39yr old male, and I have been on Zoloft for around 2.5 months. It has been life changing so far, for which I am extremely grateful. I am more comfortable around people during work meetings (something I found very hard previously) and my anxieties have reduced dramatically. I have also been lucky to have had almost no side effects on 50mg, just a little bruxism and occasional insomnia, but the benefits FAR outweigh these minor complaints. I scoured the internet before I started taking it, reading reviews like these, and now I wanted to share my own experience. I *highly* recommend trying Zoloft. Give it at least 7 weeks."

cafe · Taken for less than 1 month March 27, 2019

"Been prescribed zoloft for social anxiety, that also overlaps with BDD. Have only started, day 3, no real side effects felt at this dose, except mild heightened anxiety, which apparently is considered normal for those that do experience it. Will titrate upwards with dose after 1 week on each dose of 50mgs, till reaching 150mgs total. Really hope it helps, its been encouraging to read a lot of your positive responses. Social anxiety can really take away quality of life. Thank you for sharing. Best of luck to everyone."

Twitchy · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 10, 2019

"Barely effective, TERRIBLE withdrawal period even with slow weaning, irreversible motor symptoms post-withdawal (akathesia)"

LVD1263 January 30, 2019

"Zoloft was prescribed to manage my generalized anxiety disorder. I took 50 mg per day for four years. I feel it worked well. I've also been to talk therapy to work on these issues so I'm not forever dependent on medication. It was my plan to wean myself at some point. I forgot my medication for a week long vacation recently. I guess you could say I was thrown into an involuntary cold turkey withdrawal. Within a couple days, I experienced overwhelming nausea. It has been 17 days since I took Zoloft and the nausea is still pretty strong. Aside from the nausea, I have experienced a low grade headache and brain fog. Had I known the withdrawal symptoms were challenging, I might have strongly reconsidered this medication. I used to take Clonazepam on as as needed basis for anxiety and did not experience any withdrawal symptoms. I hope these nausea symptoms improve soon. I rate this medications effectiveness for me at a 9 but rate it as a 1 for withdrawal."

Pink · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 27, 2018

"It works!!!!! First month it's going be terrible but don't give up!!! Stay strong because in 6-8 weeks you will feel sooo much better. I kept giving up and one day I said let me stay strong and I did it! In 4 weeks I took 50mg daily and then 100g then I noticed the difference and started to feel like myself again! :)"

blue-sky · Taken for less than 1 month December 24, 2018

"Was prescribed Zoloft after many stomach issues that caused Anxiety. Dr's seem to want to put everyone on an SSRI that have a million side effects. Zoloft gave me horrible stomach pain that just became unbearable. It seemed to make me happy right away but the stomach pain lasted 8-9 hours a day and got worse each day. I gave it a 5 because it seemed to be doing something if it wasn't for the pain....God bless the people it helps"

Pat F · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 8, 2018

"I really had a great experience with Zoloft. When I first started the medication, I was on cloud 9. I felt happier than I had in years. My anxiety improved dramatically. Sadly, as time went on (years into taking it), my body stop responding as well. My Dr raised my dosage - as high as 150mg. At that dosage, I felt like a zombie. I was tired all the time, so I had to stop taking it. Still the best SSRI I have tried..."

DazzlingBird · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 9, 2018

"This medication worked very well for my social anxiety, the main reason I was taking it. Started taking it in Nov. 2015 when I was 17. As the years went maybe in late 18/ 19 years old I believe that I have changed and developed with life changes and all that which has effected how my brain works. During this time the dose I was taking increased. The highest dose I took before I no longer want to take it was 150 mg. Though it still helped with the social aspect of my life I now struggle harder with the depression side also other things and that makes it, for me, seem pointless to keep taking it as my social anxiety doesn't seem to be my main issue anymore. Things happen and everyone is constantly changing so I think it was affective when it was needed. -11/08/2018"

dvoshn · Taken for less than 1 month November 8, 2018

"I started this medication a week ago for anxiety and IBS. Within the first 24 hours of taking it, I was already experiencing almost all the side effects. Nausea, increased anxiety, dizziness, loss of appetite, headache, stomach pain, and drowsiness. I kept taking it because the side effects should subside after a week or two, but they were too severe to continue taking it. I lost 4 pounds in a week and I became so weak from not eating that I couldn’t function well. I stopped taking it today and my appetite is starting to come back."

Lee · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 2, 2018

"I have suffered for about 20 yrs with extreme social anxiety, I used to drink (way to much) just to get thru family and friend functions, to the point I would not go at all to them as I got too drunk and made a worse fool of myself .. but since my doctor prescribed Zoloft to me, although it has taken nearly a year to feel the relaxed normal feeling that most people have . I now go out and focus on the people talking, usually I’m more preoccupied with my nerves.. now I don’t even realise I’m not anxious and moving around in my seat or talking too fast hoping no one would talk to me as I would get red and stutter and embarrassed. From my experience would highly recommend it.. it does take a while ,but if you like me avoided social experiences , it’s worth the wait xx"

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 30, 2018

"I am a teenage girl and I was on zoloft for almost 2 months. At first, it worked really well. I felt like a badass, like I could do anything. It really helped my anxiety and depression at first. Then, after a while, I felt like a zombie. I could feel nothing except for anger. I was so mad all the time. I became so cold and mean, I was rude to all my friends and even if I tried to stop this, the mean words would just come out."

Aaronavich · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 5, 2018

"I think Zoloft caused permanent brain damage and more depression than I had before. I was only on 50mg for about 3 or 4 months but started having serious memory problems like having no clue where I parked. Not even a general direction. The scariest part was that I noticed when people were talking to me things stopped registering. Like I was trying to listen but couldn't. I stopped taking it hoping this would go away but it didn't after over 2 yrs now. And now I'm left with more depression than before and serious cognitive issues. I might not be able to keep my job or function in life anymore. It did make me feel better and be more social but wasn't worth it."

Danjwp · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 16, 2018

"After three weeks of taking zoloft it started working. And for three whole days, it was working incredibly well. My social anxiety was practically gone, I was confident and talkative. However, the next day it started creeping back, it seems that I've already built up a tolerance. Now 4 weeks in, it barely working at all, for social anxiety or depression."

T · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 12, 2018

"If society wouldn't shame people for taking medication for things out of their control, I would have and should have been on this medication as a child. 20 odd years late though, boy could life had been different. No looking back now!"

Miraywa · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 7, 2018

"Zoloft is effective but side effects can be too much sometimes. However it totally eliminated my social anxiety."

Holdegrade · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 30, 2018

"I suffered from social anxiety for as long as I can remember and I fell into a depression that left me unable to function when I was 22. I had problems with concentration, memory and I was suicidal in the end. I started using Zoloft 50mg and it made a huge difference after a couple of weeks. My head 'cleared', I could finally think and I started to be more outspoken. I actually liked being the centre of attention and I didn't find speaking with guys a problem anymore and started a relationship soon after that. Public speaking was still a problem but at least I could go through it quite clearheaded and not black out. It has been 6 years that I'm on Zoloft and my life is completely different. I am a little scared of the idea of taking it my whole life but I'm more scared of the life without it. I had minor side effects, like the shakes and vertigo but nothing else, I was lucky."

Tippykanoe · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 15, 2018

"Don’t give up! It took 8 weeks for it to work for me! I was on paxil since I was 18 (I’m now 43), but the older I got the worse weight gain got so I switched to Zoloft. I had morning anxiety and loss of appetite for the first 7 weeks. By week 8 I noticed it was going away. I’m on week 10 and I’m feeling myself again. I take 200mg."

Dora · Taken for less than 1 month August 12, 2018

"This drug gave my life back! I suffered from severe social anxiety and panic attacks of course. Only in 10 days I started to see the difference. Now it has been three weeks and I feel fine! Negative thoughts have disappeared and I'm not getting easily stressed about everything as I used to do so."

MrCalm · Taken for 10 years or more July 19, 2018

"15 years on Zoloft and has it been a life changer. I feel great and social anxiety is 100% gone. Along with counseling take this medication and you can be the person you were meant to be. Life is too short to spend full of worry and anxiety. No side affects for me."

Learn more about Social Anxiety Disorder

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)