User Reviews for Zoloft

Learn more about Zoloft.

Zoloft Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 12 medications used in the treatment of Social Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Zoloft to treat Social Anxiety Disorder

"I have been on Zoloft for about 10 weeks. 25mg the first week, 50mg a day thereafter. At week 6 I still felt lousy with depression and extreme anxiety. I did not have any side effects at all though. Then magically after the 6 week mark I overnite transformed into a social butterfly, could connect with people, had better concentration, no panic attacks at all after years of attacks, nothing was any trouble for me whereas before it was all so hard, the depression was gone and I actually felt happier than I have been since I was 20. I am 58 now. I also am physically much better than before. People have really noticed a difference and so have I. It is the best thing that ever happened to me and I wish I had been on it 30 years ago."

Babsical April 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had what I see as pretty bad social anxiety, to the point where I look back and realize how much life I have missed out on. It took me a while to actually become aware of it, but for some time now I have been dwelling on it since it makes it super hard to make friends. So, I usually see myself as not having very effective medications (such as SSRIs) for depression/anxiety etc. Either that, or it's hard to notice improvement. I specifically wanted to go on a medication for my social anxiety so my doctor ended up putting me on zoloft and I love it...I can actually see improvement and I have even made a friend. It's to the point where I feel like I can notice myself being more anxious when I forget to take it at the beginning of the day"

tayyy321 April 17, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I began taking Zoloft in March 2015 after testing Lexapro and Prozac. My SA/MDD improved, but I still had a lot of trouble with socializing and suicidal thoughts, so I decided to quit taking it and also switched to online schooling. Around Jan. 2016, I noticed I was getting worse and finally decided to go back on the medication. I started 25mg with no change. Slowly began increasing it to my current dose of 100mg combined with 5-15mg Buspirone (previously .25mg Xanax) and this is the worst I've ever been. I have nearly every side effect, even suicidal thoughts, and I have a panic attack just thinking of leaving my home and being around people. Definitely switching to something else soon."

beedee05 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 4, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Just to sum things up. I'm 18 years old. Started with prozac and went to full dose. Was on prozac for about 1 year at max dose (60mg), but it helped little. I took 50mg Zoloft for 5 weeks. Did see a change in my Anxiety, were it down somewhat. Now I've been on 100mg Zoloft for 3 days, and I have started to get dizzy sometimes at the day. I also have depression and OCD. It has not helped anything with the depression, the anxiety have become somewhat less and my OCD feels worse (do not know if this is a side effect). 4 weeks from now I will up to 150mg Zoloft, if the 100mg shows little improvements. My doctor says after full dose of Zoloft, there will be the option to try Cipralex. Im rather for trying CBD (medicinal cannabis)."

Martin 16y March 31, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This is my third day on Zoloft. The symptoms are like a roller coaster. 50mg/day. I feel like I'm on speed. No appetite, can't sleep, wake up shaky, have the sweats with a light headache and now today I can't get out of bed and my vision is weird... Everything I've read online says these are normal and one day I'll wake up and feel like a million bucks. I hope this is the case because these side effect are super weird."

ZoloftuserofAL (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hi. I felt like posting here because I saw multiple reviews by people who had taken Zoloft for a few days, or a few weeks, and had bad experiences. I wanted to say that, though everyone is different, it will take at least a month or two before you start to feel "better" on any Anxiety med. Also, probably starting with a small dose and working your way up after several weeks would be a good idea. My GP told me to take half a pill, then go to a full pill after a week, which is crazy, and I had just about every side effect and dizziness for the first month. The second time around with Zoloft, I took one fourth of my pill, and ramped up every four days. If you have side effects, know that this is normal, and you will feel better soon."

Sleepy22116 March 22, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Stick it out. I was so hesitant to explore perscription medication, instead of the more natural methods. Eventually when I couldn't take it anymore I began Zoloft. The first month I was taking 50mg, and was slowly upped to 100mg. The side effects I experienced were really terrible- increased anxiety for a few weeks... and I crapped my pants... but I promise, it was worth it. Now I'm 6 months on Zoloft and I don't suffer from social anxiety at nearly the same level as before. I feel much more confident speaking in front of groups and just being myself. I also feel less depressed. I think that people often experience the terrible side effects and give up on the drug, but if you're willing to suffer through, sertraline may really help you."

Sarah12653 March 8, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had awful panic attacks and getting through the day was unbearable. I was put on Paxil and had thoughts of suicide almost instantly. My doctor prescribed Zoloft 50mg and the side effects were uncomfortable, so I started taking half of tablet and it has done wonders for me. I am now taking 25mg daily and I am slowly feeling like myself again."

Lana1979 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Just day 2 of 10 mg of Zoloft.. The first day I just ate a lot of food.. Felt hungry. And was up until 3 in the morning, and the sleep was crappy anyways. Now it's day 2, and this morning I felt sick, and it didn't take a lot of movement to make feel me lightheaded. And I speak fast too. That or I think too hard about what I want to say. Hmm.."

Sanjaaay January 28, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have taken Zoloft since I was 21 years old. I'm now 36. I've struggled with anxiety since late in high school. Zoloft is not the 100% answer to anxiety, but it does help. When I use it consistently it helps with anxiety attacks, helps your mind from wondering about the meaningless things around you that would normally start you on the path to another anxiety attack. If you choose to seek medical advice about taking Zoloft make sure you continuously stay on it. In my experience at times when I've forgotten, my prescription ran out and I don't have it I've found I'm OK for 3-4 days. After several days I notice a strange dizzy spell of sorts, a pulsing in my ears, to where I just want to lie down. I'm sure it's just an imbalance in my body."

cwlanter28 (taken for 10 years or more) January 25, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on this medication for a few years now. overtime, I have noticed huge improvements in my severe social anxiety. it is much easier to get through the day! As far as side effects, I experienced loss in appetite and fatigue for about a week, then it all went away. Please don't let negative reviews scare you and give the meds a chance to do their job, it doesn't happen overnight!"

Anonymous January 23, 2017

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Worked well when I started the 25mg, but then after a few weeks (maybe 2) I went back to be bring anxious as ever but only now with tons of side affects, caused me to gain a ton of weight and increased my appetite, causes excessive sweating, and a bunch more. Basically I'm on medicine that causes a bunch more problem's and I feel like it makes my anxiety worse. And no I haven't just been on zoloft for a few weeks I've been on it for at least 8 months already and I'm now on 150mg. And still no change. It works for some people and not for others, and it did not work for me."

SushiBushi (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 19, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Did not work. I always felt hungry, and gained weight."

Carly7495754 January 15, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Half the reviews on here are a load of garbage. They range from "the side effects are too awful" to "It gives me more anxiety". Do yourself a favor and do not read to any review from anyone who has taken this drug for less than 8 weeks. If you are serious about reducing your anxiety, then grow some balls and give zoloft time to work. Yes, you're going to have a number of side effects in the beginning, ranging from drowsiness, nausea, sexual disfunction, loss of appetite, and even increased anxiety. Guess what, nearly all of these are going to disappear after the first two weeks. In fact, all of the side effects disappeared for me, and it wasn't until around week 8 that I felt the glorious power of this drug. GIVE IT TIME"

NP93 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 12, 2017

145 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed 25 mg of Zoloft (sertraline) and only took two doses to find myself having the worst restless legs to the point where I can't sleep. DO NOT take this. This side effect will last 5 days after stopping taking it."

caseey14 (taken for less than 1 month) December 24, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Zoloft has helped me so much so far. I have spent the last three months getting worse and worse. Panic, anxiety and depression. I was on Wellbutrine but it just seemed to make me worse. Two days after starting Zoloft (I take it before I go to bed), I woke up happy. I felt normal - like myself! I don't know about the sexual side effects yet because frankly it was difficult to want to be intimate when I was living in an emotional hell. Thank you Zoloft!! "

LillyLaFlamme (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been meaning to post my positive review of Zoloft for a while. This past summer I suffered probably the worst social anxiety I had ever encountered in my life. I had started a new job where I was expected to speak to others on a daily basis. It was gut wrenching. I fell apart, crying, screaming, and forcing myself to go to work. Even when I was at work I would hide in the bathroom and pee incessantly out of nervousness. Finally I found a good psychiatrist and got back on Zoloft. I had been on Zoloft 50mg earlier in the year, but stopped because I feared it might affect my fertility. After meeting with the shrink I was upped to 200 mgs gradually. Since then I have been so happy and full of life. This drug really has worked for me."

Cephas05 December 16, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on this drug for a month. I am one of those people who hate being on medication (prefer natural alternatives)--but my doctor strongly recommended me to give it a shot. I felt different instantly. My body would feel "numb" I guess that's the best way to describe it. I was feeling very very down the first two weeks. My temper was short, I got angry at everything, and I was worse than I was before starting the medication. I had absolutely no sex drive at all. The medication was taking a toll on my marriage. Ever since I stopped it, I feel amazing. Sticking to yoga and meditation!! Glad it works for some people though!"

Meowmeowmelz December 14, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I don't know how anyone can tolerate this drug. It made my anxiety ten times worse, gave me bad thoughts, and made me feel like a zombie for 2 weeks. I think experiencing this medication and then getting off it helped my anxiety much more than the medicine itself did."

socker21 (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking Zoloft for around 13 years. I am 36. Female. I have a fifteen year old Son. I'm a Single Parent but my Mother & Stepfather have always done a lot for my Son. I was on doses over the years mostly of 100mg 200mg and 150mg. From memory in all that time I never stopped taking it for more than a few weeks or a couple of Months at the most. A few months ago I stopped taking Zoloft because I was sick of still feeling depressed and as the years go on I feel worse not better. I've been off it now for a few months and I still feel like a Zombie and depressed and feel really exhausted but can't sleep to lazy to do basic things I've had bouts of feeling like this for as long as I can remember. Maybe I need to just keep taking it."

Millhouse December 13, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been suffering really bad anxiety/depression for over the past year now. My Doctor suggested me to take Zoloft at 25mg. I came across this page, and read reviews. And most were positive reviews. The first day I felt fine and energetic. Second day my anxiety was worse than usual. After the third day of taking it, I was rushed to the ER due to burning feeling in my chest, and really bad tremors. Worst experience in my life."

XxKiMbErLyxX December 13, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was suffering from acute anxiety in addition to my psychotic disorder(from illicit drug use) I would get this anxiety all day long and I couldn't take it any more so I spoke to my doctor and he put me on Zoloft 25mg. Its a tiny pill but it has made a huge difference in my anxiety level. I also practice meditation every morning to augment the Zoloft and that's definitely helped too. For those that want to know I practice observational meditation( simply observe and note changes in how I'm feeling and attempt to silence the negativity). The only reason that I didn't give this medication a 10 was because of the sexual side effects. I have no sex drive and have extreme difficulty climaxing as well as maintaining an erection."

iPlaymeta1 November 27, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm on 50 mg zoloft been on it for a wk now ...it seems to help me sleep...my dr sd I probably want be able to tell anything about it for 2 to 3 wks but I can already tell...I also take 5mg ativan for anxiety disorder both together work well..."

Vannna777 November 26, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Zoloft has significantly lowered my anxiety, particularly social anxiety. Before, I would avoid certain situations and just worry about the most irrational things. Now I can honestly say I feel like a normal person, and I am succeeding in parts of my life I never have before."

Stephanie1117 November 23, 2016

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm on Zoloft, and I've been taking it for almost a month now. It's helped so much with my panic & anxiety. I also suffer from severe depression. But I don't see any change with it helping my deprsssion. My anxiety is so much better now so if that's what you have wrong too I suggest Zoloft, but for depression no.. I know it works different for everyone but this is just my experience."

Ashlynxoxo October 23, 2016