User Reviews for Zoloft

Zoloft Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 12 medications used in the treatment of Social Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Zoloft to treat Social Anxiety Disorder

"I had a bad reaction to Zoloft-akathesia-which is this horrid feeling of internal restlessness/buzzing. Also caused severe insomnia. It seemed to work very well for my Social Anxiety however."

Tiwi (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2018

"My now 18 year old daughter has always dealt with anxiety type issues that we managed on our own. If she didn't want to go anywhere it was easy to chalk it up to being an introvert. However, the loneliness and avoidance went far beyond "being an introvert". By the time she entered her senior yr in high school, she was spiralling into a black hole. She finally agreed to therapy and medication. Prozac was awful, sertraline was great. The low doses helped some anxiety but at 100mg, she flourished. No more holed up in her room, avoiding going to the store, or near panic attacks for having to place a phone call. She is smiling, singing and dancing! She is also finally able to form connections with people. Her biggest complaint is that she has put on some weight (maybe 10lbs). I asked her- do you want to be the ultra thin, unhappy girl who hide in her room or would you rather walk around with that gorgeous smile of yours? My only regret is waiting."

Relieved mom February 5, 2018

"I was experiencing horrible anxiety attacks I felt like I was having a heart attack, I was scared to fall asleep and not wake up. I was scared to drive, I felt like I was going crazy. My doctor started me on Zoloft 25mg which made it worst at first BUT than she increased it to 50mg and after a few weeks and I started feeling about 50% better so on my next visit I was increased to 100mg and I was terrified to increase it. Now I'm doing about 90% better, sometimes I feel like I'm about to get an anxiety attack but after a few seconds it goes away. I have a follow up appointment in 6 weeks we'll see what my Doctor says. If you're going through this and your Doctor prescribes you medication take it & say a prayer"

LAUREZZY (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 4, 2018

"If your scared to try something new I completely understand! I was really nervous about trying Zoloft, but I have to say I'm happy I did! I've only been taking it for a week for my anxiety disorder, stress, ptsd and depression. It has helped me feel more balanced and I'm a lot more calm. I'm happier and I can tell it helps me not have so many negative thoughts that bring on my anxiety about things. I can tell it's helping become a better mom and wife already. I hope it continues to work for me, because I was under a lot of stress and always worrying about stuff and I couldn't take the way I felt anymore. I had nausea and dizziness like the first 2 days, but then it went away. Stick with it if you want to see a difference! :)"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2017

"My Doctor prescribed this for anxiety. 10mg. Although it seemed to help my physical affects of anxiety it made everything else much worse. Tired, anxious, head aches, brain zaps, ringing in ears, spacey, edgy, and not myself at all. I was turning into a walking zombie. It was awful. I couldn't tell if it was my anxiety or the side effects. I thought I was going crazy for 6 months. I finally talked to a Therapist and he took me off of Zoloft and put me on Lexapro. Which was much better but still pretty awful. I finally found the courage to ween myself off over a period of two months and I feel GREAT! So thankful to be myself again. Please make sure you really need to be on these before you take them. Do your research and good luck!"

vincent zoloft bad (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 17, 2017

"I thought I would share today my experience with zoloft. 2 months ago I was the anxious one on here reading all the reviews on medications, every one and there was positive and negatives. So worried about taking an "antidepressant". I suffered daily with SEVERE anxiety and panic attacks to where I would have a panic attack sometimes for a few hours. It was awful. And because I felt like that so often I would say I had mild depression. Just hopeless. Could anything help my anxiety ? This medicine has changed my life for the better. I started at 25mg and still felt bad, no improvement even after 5 weeks. My doctor upped me to 50mg and within a week I felt 100x better. I had no side effects other than 2/3 headaches. My advice to you, try it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 17, 2017

"I took it for 5 months under prescription because of work related anxiety and developing sleeping disorder. The side effects: low mental capacity, low will power, emotionally dead, no libido, and memory and concentration impairment, and really feeling down. My psychiatrist insisted that the side effects are actually manifestations of my anxiety. But my mental and emotional health were going down. "It will work eventually" he said on our last meeting. One day l crashed my car against a wall. I stopped immediately the medication, went through one week or so of withdrawal hell. I quit my job, went on a holiday and never took a pill again. It took me two years to restore my abilities, partly because of anxiety, but mostly of Zoloft."

Serious side effects (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 7, 2017

"I started taking Zoloft about 4 years ago, prescribed because I have always had a lot of social anxiety and was in a lonely place. Started with 50mg then went back to docs after 4 months and he increased me to 100mg. I was on 100mg for a year but decided to come back down to 50mg as at times I felt a bit too groggy on 100mg, plus I struggled with sex - had no desire really, felt a bit of a zombie. I also saw a therapist every week for a year, but stopped that because I felt we reached a dead end and it was a waste of money. So 4 years later I'm still pretty lonely, still have mild depression which comes and goes and still struggle a bit with people. However I would say all of the bad stuff is about half as intense thanks to Zoloft/Sertraline"

Mickey555 August 20, 2017

"I have suffered from severe anxiety punctuated by depressive episodes all of my life. At 58 having been prescribed many medications, this is the best ever. Before this prescription I was feeling so anxious I thought I would break. I am now feeling what I think is 'normal' for the first time ever, by which I mean I feel 'normal' amounts of anxiety in 'normal' degrees in appropriate situations- I feel I am in control of situations instead of them controlling me. I feel so much better, calm and relaxed, and it worked quickly. I wish I had tried it years ago."

Sillkie July 20, 2017

"I am bipolar 2 since young been medicated on an off most of my life but keep stopping like most then moved to qld thought I'd do something about my bipolar for real went to a pysch and he gave me Zoloft a few weeks later I told my pysch thay Zoloft was making me feel weirder than usual and was told it was normal about 7 months later I had the biggest psychosis. I had even had started cutting myself worse than ever. Plus a lot that can't be explained not like any other time and I know I've been in hospital more than a couple of times. While I was in hospital this time I was asked whom gave me Zoloft I should have never been given them and was told stop immediately as they were doing me more harm than good back to pysch ward I went"

Trueantrueig Chan n cert Hong June 28, 2017

"After taking Zoloft (50 mg) for only a few days, I feel incredibly lucky to have had such a positive experience with it. For about an hour after I take it I get stomach cramps that resemble menstrual cramps, but after that I go into a really positive mood and I just want to tell everybody how much I appreciate them. I don't get sick from overthinking minor details anymore and all of my emotions feel more stable and controllable. I'm experiencing slight restlessness and difficulty falling asleep, but I'm taking that as a positive, as I feel like I got my energy back. I do clench my jaw at night now though. I have no appetite and I'm losing weight, but I used to overeat due to anxiety so I don't mind it. I never thought I could be this happy."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2017

"I started low dose 25 mg of Zoloft 1 month ago and it was increased two times. The last time was 17 days ago to 100mg. I can't sleep, lost weight, my anxiety is tremendous and still depressed. How long will it take to feel normal?"

Beachshore (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2017

"I've been on 25mg for 2 weeks. In 5 days it started to work. Let me tell you, I'm doing 80% better than before. I've developed awful social anxiety and (almost) panic attacks over the last 2 years and I don't know what's going on. I've been in psychotherapy for a year and it hasn't done much, although the therapist, on occasion, suggested that I look into anti-anxiety meds. After 3 years I've taken the plunge. I almost feel like I have my life back. I'm able to be around people with 80% less anxiety than before. I'm confident again. I like myself. It's like this dark cloud is finally starting to dissipate. I'm recovering. At 2 weeks, I have no side effects except diarrhea in the first week."

feelingbetter77777 May 22, 2017

"After taking on too many large life changes and adjustments and dealing with long term and recent grieving issues, I was prescribed sertraline. Started at 25mgs and went up to 50 mgs. Worked very closely with a couple of psychiatrists. Also started a 7.5 mg dose of mirtazapine before bed to help with sleeping at the same time. Started having very vivid dreams all night long, not bad dreams just very vivid and felt lucid and aware during the dreaming. I slept well but remember too much of my dreams on waking. Sleep time felt too "active" and I found it distracting. One of the psychiatrists claimed it was the mirtazapine but the other one suggested that it was the sertraline (Zoloft) and reduced, then eliminated the sertraline. Right move."

Sleepwell (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 19, 2017

"I have dealt with ups and downs, anxiety, social anxiety, depression etc. etc. for years. My life overall is normal and I managed the episodes but I always knew they were there and didn't like feeling that way. I am married we have children combine that with everything else and it times it was just too much. The doctor suggested the Zoloft. I was nervous at first and really didn't know what to expect. In fact I waited a month or two to even fill the prescription. The side effects we're obvious at first. Dizziness, tired, minor confusion. I don't want to scare anyone because I still functioned , Still was able to work, I was able to take care of the kids, everything was pretty much normal but I could tell my mind was a bit off. After about a month the side effects faded away from me. After two months my mind became clear and my attitude towards life improved dramatically. Little things didn't bother me anymore. I started working out and that didn't bother me anymore. My wife would argue with me about normal marriage stuff but I wouldn't yell back. In fact I was able to see how foolish most of the fighting was and how pointless it was to yell back. My work life improved. My conversations with other people improved. I found myself more interested in what the person was saying and focusing more on what they were saying. At a follow up visit with my doctor he asked if I'd like to stay on the medication. I told him that my life has never been better and my mind never more clear so why would I choose to stop. He agreed and was happy with my progress. He initially prescribed 100 mg but I found 50 works well for me at this point. So every night before bed I take my pill and wake up the next morning feeling ready to go instead of wanting to stay in bed. For those just starting or thinking about starting this medication I can honestly tell you it has changed my life for the better. Initially it was rough but after a while all that fades and your left feeling really good. For me it took about two months for others it may take longer or shorter. I hopes this helps as I read a lot about this medication prior to starting and found a lot of the write ups were negative. I honestly think those people may have other issues or conditions that this medication can't help or they may have not been able to get through the initial break in period."

43 year old male (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2017

"I've been on Zoloft for nearly two years now. I have anxiety and depression and it's worked WONDERS to reduce it. I've gradually increased the dose and now I'm on 150mg. The difference is HUGE. Me off Zoloft= Crying, paranoid, mess of a human being. Me on Zoloft= Joyful, outgoing human being with a sense of humor who can finally enjoy life! Also, the side effects are basically nonexistent. When I first started it, everything kind of made me want to throw up, like a morning sickness-type thing, and I lost like 5 pounds. Now, that's not a problem, it's gone. As far as side effects go, Zoloft is one of the least problematic antidepressants you can take. So it's worked for me! It's changing my life."

Personwithanxiety May 12, 2017

"I hope that my review can help someone who was in my shoes a month ago. I had randomly developed social anxiety. It came later on in life, and I couldn't even hold conversations with friends, family members, coworkers etc. I also felt generalized anxiety, as well as OCD. My mind was constantly going, and it deterred me from enjoying life and building relationships with others. I decided to go to therapy, and was suggested Zoloft . I was a skeptic at first, since there is such a stigma around anti-depressants and I heard so many negative reviews about Zoloft. However, I tried it and my doctor prescribed me 50mg. I fought all the side effects, but it got better! I would suggest sticking it out, because it has changed my life for the better!"

mjr202 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2017

"I have been on Zoloft 25-150 mg for over 2 years. This has been the BEST 2 years of your life. Let me say that it took at least 90 days to really kick in and side effects to abate. If you have spent YEARS obsessed about your every action and thought, fearful and angry, depressed the 90 days of side effects is NOTHING. NOW if you want to keep living the way you are living because of dreams, diarrhea , INITIAL loss of appetite and weight loss then so be it. Improvement takes time. I was a 10 year Paxil user. Have TRIED lithium, Prozac, Luvox, tegretol, Xanax, Valuim, Alcohol, illegal drugs, supplements, buspar, kolonopin and on and on. ZOLOFT gives me a chance at life. I am still me with growing up issues at 50 plus but man this ZOLOFT is the deal."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 6, 2017

"I have been on Zoloft for about 10 weeks. 25mg the first week, 50mg a day thereafter. At week 6 I still felt lousy with depression and extreme anxiety. I did not have any side effects at all though. Then magically after the 6 week mark I overnite transformed into a social butterfly, could connect with people, had better concentration, no panic attacks at all after years of attacks, nothing was any trouble for me whereas before it was all so hard, the depression was gone and I actually felt happier than I have been since I was 20. I am 58 now. I also am physically much better than before. People have really noticed a difference and so have I. It is the best thing that ever happened to me and I wish I had been on it 30 years ago."

Babsical April 22, 2017

"I have had what I see as pretty bad social anxiety, to the point where I look back and realize how much life I have missed out on. It took me a while to actually become aware of it, but for some time now I have been dwelling on it since it makes it super hard to make friends. So, I usually see myself as not having very effective medications (such as SSRIs) for depression/anxiety etc. Either that, or it's hard to notice improvement. I specifically wanted to go on a medication for my social anxiety so my doctor ended up putting me on zoloft and I love it...I can actually see improvement and I have even made a friend. It's to the point where I feel like I can notice myself being more anxious when I forget to take it at the beginning of the day"

tayyy321 April 17, 2017

"I began taking Zoloft in March 2015 after testing Lexapro and Prozac. My SA/MDD improved, but I still had a lot of trouble with socializing and suicidal thoughts, so I decided to quit taking it and also switched to online schooling. Around Jan. 2016, I noticed I was getting worse and finally decided to go back on the medication. I started 25mg with no change. Slowly began increasing it to my current dose of 100mg combined with 5-15mg Buspirone (previously .25mg Xanax) and this is the worst I've ever been. I have nearly every side effect, even suicidal thoughts, and I have a panic attack just thinking of leaving my home and being around people. Definitely switching to something else soon."

beedee05 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 4, 2017

"Just to sum things up. I'm 18 years old. Started with prozac and went to full dose. Was on prozac for about 1 year at max dose (60mg), but it helped little. I took 50mg Zoloft for 5 weeks. Did see a change in my Anxiety, were it down somewhat. Now I've been on 100mg Zoloft for 3 days, and I have started to get dizzy sometimes at the day. I also have depression and OCD. It has not helped anything with the depression, the anxiety have become somewhat less and my OCD feels worse (do not know if this is a side effect). 4 weeks from now I will up to 150mg Zoloft, if the 100mg shows little improvements. My doctor says after full dose of Zoloft, there will be the option to try Cipralex. Im rather for trying CBD (medicinal cannabis)."

Martin 16y March 31, 2017

"This is my third day on Zoloft. The symptoms are like a roller coaster. 50mg/day. I feel like I'm on speed. No appetite, can't sleep, wake up shaky, have the sweats with a light headache and now today I can't get out of bed and my vision is weird... Everything I've read online says these are normal and one day I'll wake up and feel like a million bucks. I hope this is the case because these side effect are super weird."

ZoloftuserofAL (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2017

"Hi. I felt like posting here because I saw multiple reviews by people who had taken Zoloft for a few days, or a few weeks, and had bad experiences. I wanted to say that, though everyone is different, it will take at least a month or two before you start to feel "better" on any Anxiety med. Also, probably starting with a small dose and working your way up after several weeks would be a good idea. My GP told me to take half a pill, then go to a full pill after a week, which is crazy, and I had just about every side effect and dizziness for the first month. The second time around with Zoloft, I took one fourth of my pill, and ramped up every four days. If you have side effects, know that this is normal, and you will feel better soon."

Sleepy22116 March 22, 2017

"Stick it out. I was so hesitant to explore perscription medication, instead of the more natural methods. Eventually when I couldn't take it anymore I began Zoloft. The first month I was taking 50mg, and was slowly upped to 100mg. The side effects I experienced were really terrible- increased anxiety for a few weeks... and I crapped my pants... but I promise, it was worth it. Now I'm 6 months on Zoloft and I don't suffer from social anxiety at nearly the same level as before. I feel much more confident speaking in front of groups and just being myself. I also feel less depressed. I think that people often experience the terrible side effects and give up on the drug, but if you're willing to suffer through, sertraline may really help you."

Sarah12653 March 8, 2017