User Reviews for Zoloft

Learn more about Zoloft.

Zoloft Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 12 medications used in the treatment of Social Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Zoloft to treat Social Anxiety Disorder

"Did not work. I always felt hungry, and gained weight."

Carly7495754 January 15, 2017

"Half the reviews on here are a load of garbage. They range from "the side effects are too awful" to "It gives me more anxiety". Do yourself a favor and do not read to any review from anyone who has taken this drug for less than 8 weeks. If you are serious about reducing your anxiety, then grow some balls and give zoloft time to work. Yes, you're going to have a number of side effects in the beginning, ranging from drowsiness, nausea, sexual disfunction, loss of appetite, and even increased anxiety. Guess what, nearly all of these are going to disappear after the first two weeks. In fact, all of the side effects disappeared for me, and it wasn't until around week 8 that I felt the glorious power of this drug. GIVE IT TIME"

NP93 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 12, 2017

"I was prescribed 25 mg of Zoloft (sertraline) and only took two doses to find myself having the worst restless legs to the point where I can't sleep. DO NOT take this. This side effect will last 5 days after stopping taking it."

caseey14 (taken for less than 1 month) December 24, 2016

"Zoloft has helped me so much so far. I have spent the last three months getting worse and worse. Panic, anxiety and depression. I was on Wellbutrine but it just seemed to make me worse. Two days after starting Zoloft (I take it before I go to bed), I woke up happy. I felt normal - like myself! I don't know about the sexual side effects yet because frankly it was difficult to want to be intimate when I was living in an emotional hell. Thank you Zoloft!! "

LillyLaFlamme (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2016

"I've been meaning to post my positive review of Zoloft for a while. This past summer I suffered probably the worst social anxiety I had ever encountered in my life. I had started a new job where I was expected to speak to others on a daily basis. It was gut wrenching. I fell apart, crying, screaming, and forcing myself to go to work. Even when I was at work I would hide in the bathroom and pee incessantly out of nervousness. Finally I found a good psychiatrist and got back on Zoloft. I had been on Zoloft 50mg earlier in the year, but stopped because I feared it might affect my fertility. After meeting with the shrink I was upped to 200 mgs gradually. Since then I have been so happy and full of life. This drug really has worked for me."

Cephas05 December 16, 2016

"I was on this drug for a month. I am one of those people who hate being on medication (prefer natural alternatives)--but my doctor strongly recommended me to give it a shot. I felt different instantly. My body would feel "numb" I guess that's the best way to describe it. I was feeling very very down the first two weeks. My temper was short, I got angry at everything, and I was worse than I was before starting the medication. I had absolutely no sex drive at all. The medication was taking a toll on my marriage. Ever since I stopped it, I feel amazing. Sticking to yoga and meditation!! Glad it works for some people though!"

Meowmeowmelz December 14, 2016

"I don't know how anyone can tolerate this drug. It made my anxiety ten times worse, gave me bad thoughts, and made me feel like a zombie for 2 weeks. I think experiencing this medication and then getting off it helped my anxiety much more than the medicine itself did."

socker21 (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2016

"I have been taking Zoloft for around 13 years. I am 36. Female. I have a fifteen year old Son. I'm a Single Parent but my Mother & Stepfather have always done a lot for my Son. I was on doses over the years mostly of 100mg 200mg and 150mg. From memory in all that time I never stopped taking it for more than a few weeks or a couple of Months at the most. A few months ago I stopped taking Zoloft because I was sick of still feeling depressed and as the years go on I feel worse not better. I've been off it now for a few months and I still feel like a Zombie and depressed and feel really exhausted but can't sleep to lazy to do basic things I've had bouts of feeling like this for as long as I can remember. Maybe I need to just keep taking it."

Millhouse December 13, 2016

"I've been suffering really bad anxiety/depression for over the past year now. My Doctor suggested me to take Zoloft at 25mg. I came across this page, and read reviews. And most were positive reviews. The first day I felt fine and energetic. Second day my anxiety was worse than usual. After the third day of taking it, I was rushed to the ER due to burning feeling in my chest, and really bad tremors. Worst experience in my life."

XxKiMbErLyxX December 13, 2016

"I was suffering from acute anxiety in addition to my psychotic disorder(from illicit drug use) I would get this anxiety all day long and I couldn't take it any more so I spoke to my doctor and he put me on Zoloft 25mg. Its a tiny pill but it has made a huge difference in my anxiety level. I also practice meditation every morning to augment the Zoloft and that's definitely helped too. For those that want to know I practice observational meditation( simply observe and note changes in how I'm feeling and attempt to silence the negativity). The only reason that I didn't give this medication a 10 was because of the sexual side effects. I have no sex drive and have extreme difficulty climaxing as well as maintaining an erection."

iPlaymeta1 November 27, 2016

"I'm on 50 mg zoloft been on it for a wk now ...it seems to help me sleep...my dr sd I probably want be able to tell anything about it for 2 to 3 wks but I can already tell...I also take 5mg ativan for anxiety disorder both together work well..."

Vannna777 November 26, 2016

"Zoloft has significantly lowered my anxiety, particularly social anxiety. Before, I would avoid certain situations and just worry about the most irrational things. Now I can honestly say I feel like a normal person, and I am succeeding in parts of my life I never have before."

Stephanie1117 November 23, 2016

"I'm on Zoloft, and I've been taking it for almost a month now. It's helped so much with my panic & anxiety. I also suffer from severe depression. But I don't see any change with it helping my deprsssion. My anxiety is so much better now so if that's what you have wrong too I suggest Zoloft, but for depression no.. I know it works different for everyone but this is just my experience."

Ashlynxoxo October 23, 2016

"I suffer from social anxiety, separation anxiety. My doctor recommended zoloft. I was on a regular dose not sure now much that was. After taking it I felt terrible I had a horrible pain in my chest and I couldn't breath. The pain in my chest went all the way up my throat. I went back to my doctor and she suggested a lower dose. Once again I took the pill and the pain was still terrible. I personally had a terrible experience with zoloft."

lezette October 23, 2016

"Maybe my experience can help someone else... I have just completed a 30 day supply of Zoloft. My anxiety has been debilitating since my Multiple Sclerosis diagnosis in October of 2015. It became so bad that I was becoming bed ridden, afraid to leave my home. As a mother of 3 and a wife and daughter, my family needed me and I wasn't able to be there. I finally told my husband and parents I needed to seek help. After a therapy session and a visit with my family doctor I was given Zoloft. I received it on a Tuesday but was so afraid to take it, I didn't take my first one until Friday (I had read a few bad drug reviews, so I knew some things I could expect, but chose to focus on all the success stories for motivation.) For three weeks it was rough. Also must note, during this time we were hit with hurricane Matthew which didn't help and I believe set me back a few days. My side effects were tummy aches, diarrhea (sometimes 4 or 5 times a day), a few hot flashes, a couple days of zombie feeling, and I had 2 bad panic attacks. I know this sounds horrible, however, my opinion is that I felt as though I had hit rock bottom which is why I turned to medication. I already felt bad, so my commitment was to see this medicine through to the 4-6 week mark as instructed. If I had stopped taking it, I still would have felt horrible, that is what my life had become. With the wonderful support of my children and husband, a lot of take out food, and my parents helping to take and pick up my kids from school, I am SOOOOOO thankful I stuck with it and made it to the 4 week mark. I feel like I'm getting my life back. It is worth everything you go through. In full disclosure, some people get no side effects... my 20 year old son has been on Zoloft for a year and never had one side effect. I wasn't that lucky and seemed to have most. Please give yourself the chance. You will read over and over again to stick with it until 4-6 weeks... you must do yourself that favor. Surround yourself with support if you can and just do it! I'm so blessed to have my life back!!!!!"

Nikki828 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 20, 2016

"I've been on zoloft for probably about 4 months now and it has absolutely SAVED my life. I was so hesitant to get on it again (I was on it previously about 5 years ago from ages 14-18 for OCD - which it worked well for that, too), but I wish I had done it sooner! my social anxiety is practically gone and I'm actually for once excited about my future instead of terrified. I can talk to people and be myself and I actually LIKE myself now!! Where before I was convinced I was a worthless nobody. I'm much more confident in myself and my abilities and if somebody doesn't like me it no longer bothers me because i like me. I haven't felt this normal in 5 years. Thank you Zoloft"

so thankful! (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2016

"Tried this medicine for the first time about 4 days ago. After been on clonazepam My doctor thought zoloft 100mg would be good for me. And ooooo boy when i tell you it made me feel my anxiety to the 10th power. I was all emotional couldn't sleep or eat then my chest felt like i had bricks seating there. All i can say is my experience with zoloft was not fun at all. Im still trying to recover from that one pill i took."

Jazz2009 (taken for less than 1 month) October 10, 2016

"Without a doubt, this medication changed my life. I have dealt with social anxiety disorder and generalized anxiety for the past 15 years or so, and have tried every kind of cognitive behavioral therapy I possibly can, without noticeable results. Reason for this being that I could't take the information I was given and use it because my anxiety was so out of control. I never realized how much anxiety I truly had until this medication kicked in. For the first time ever I'm able to hold conversations with people and have my own personal opinions on things, rather than coming up with opinions that work to please other people. Yes, the side effects for the first 2 weeks are hard to bare, but if you stick with it you will likely not regret it."

Wes25 October 6, 2016

"After less than a month on Zoloft, I could start to feel the effects in full swing. Besides being all around more joyful and talkative, I could see the world open up around me by the way it tamed my anxiety. It entirely reduced the uneasiness I felt when going into public. No longer did my heart palpitate, my body profusely sweat, my hands shake, or my words stumble. It did come along with many negative physical effects however. Vomiting, nausea, hunger, heart burn, etc. I feel physically healthier without it, but it cured my social anxiety wonderfully."

UpAndComing (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 3, 2016

"Just stopped Zoloft due to its side affects which made my anxiety worse and it gave me extreme heartburn and acid reflux I quit taking it today which is a fri and dropped a lexapro and felt better with just one dose!!!"

Mark49er (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 30, 2016

"Good drug"

Mohammed Yousif September 27, 2016

"Definitely helps my depression although I still get random bouts of it at times but no improvement whatsoever in my social anxiety. Can't do any of the things normal people do, talking to people, being in stores, etc. Also every time I increase it triggers me too feel more depressed and suicidal for at least a week then it leaves. It didn't help the anxiety part for me but I hope it works for someone else."

Anonymous188 September 23, 2016

"The drug worked in the sense that it completely numbed me, at least mentally. It also numbs you a bit from the waist down if you are on a high enough dosage - you will have little to no libido. I felt like a zombie and have never experienced this much apathy in my life. I was only on 50mg and started to feel this way after 2-3 weeks. I continued on until 7 weeks to give my doctor the benefit of the doubt. I have never cared less about everything in my entire life - relationships, work, physical activity - I had no motivation for any of these any more. I would come home from work and just sleep until the next day due to lack of motivation. Extremely scary, would not touch it again."

John S. (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 1, 2016

"Been suffering with anxiety since Jan this year, tried natural products,CBT also citalopram. Citalopram made me worse, sick, crying just feeling awful. Doctor suggested Sertraline to which I was very nervous to try, started 25mg for one week then increased to 50mg, no side effects at all. Day 18 on 50mg feel more myself, feeling better daily. My advice don't read any negative reviews only the positive, give them a go. Def working for me."

Croatia August 23, 2016

"I am back again. I always revert back to zoloft. Beside Paxil and Buspar, those are the only REAL meds with anti anxiety properties to them that are NOT benzo and addictive. The other anti depress can work but I really need it for anxiety 100% not depression. I had reported that I got headaches and body aches due to jaw clenching and grinding teeth and scrunching up my body at night but I will take that over the other side effects from other meds. If i stay at 100 mg and not go up to 150 mg then sex is not affected. Never gain weight from this med. I will give it a try again and deal with headaches! This one truly does work for SAD, GADS, anxiety etc... Oh its way cheaper than the other newer ones I was trying."

ecjames71 (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2016