User Reviews for Zoloft to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Zoloft has an average rating of 7.9 out of 10 from a total of 124 ratings for the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. 72% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 10% reported a negative effect.

Zoloft Rating Summary

7.9/10 average rating

Compare all 40 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Zoloft

xxmorgixx August 6, 2021

“I read these reviews over and over again to calm myself with what I was going through. Although thinking back it might of been obsessive. I have been taking this since December of 2020 when I had a bad mental break down where I was crying for a month straight couldn’t work and was having panic attacks all day everyday! This medication has saved my life! I could not stop thinking these obsessive thoughts everyday all day. That absolutely drove me up the wall crazy. It took about a month or two to finally start getting back to myself again. I am able to work again and able to take care of my family! I have happy moments now. Instead of always being in an obsessive thought and trying to get rid of it I can now accept the thought as a thought or yeah maybe that could happen and go about my day. Please don’t give up on this medication. The side effects do subside and you’ll feel like yourself again I promise!”

May may October 10, 2019

“I’ve dealt with anxiety since I was 22 (now 28). At the start of this year my anxiety got bad. At my lowest I decided to make an appointment to see a doctor. I was sobbing after I got off the phone to book the appointment because I felt my anxiety had defeated me. Little did I know that I was finally choosing to take control. I was prescribed 50mg of Zoloft 4/1/19 and have stayed there. The beginning was rough. I felt jittery, nauseous, and “weird”. It took a month before I started to notice a difference. My generalized anxiety started to fade and it felt amazing! Intrusive thoughts began to settle down too! I was sleeping better, handling stress better, I could socialize better, overall I had a lot more confidence. I take my pill at the same time everyday. I can’t believe how much better I feel today, it can bring me tears. I needed to feel better to see how bad I was. Please don’t be afraid to try it. Give it time! Don’t judge it after 2 or even 3 weeks. Be patient and allow it to work.”

Things do get better January 3, 2021

“I had a random thought one day that has felt like it destroyed my life. I had the worst thoughts imaginable and it had gotten so bad to where I had to take a leave of absence at work and could not stop crying. I had thought about committing myself because I felt like I was losing my mind. I started working with an OCD therapist that confirmed I had Pure O. It helped me by doing ERP and ACT that I was able to go back to work and manage to live life. I was still struggling everyday and meditation was my only way to calm myself. I'm on Zoloft 25mg now. I have had no side effects. I noticed being able to see my thoughts clearly and distinguish what’s real and what’s in my head now. I am enjoying life and feeling more happy in every aspect. I still get thoughts but they don’t bother me since I don’t feel the need to ruminate or find out what’s “true” anymore. I plan to stay on this low dose as just enough to help me while I continue to do the work.”

Muchbetternow · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 29, 2013

“I have now been on Zoloft for a solid 12 months (50mg). It has changed my life. I was prescribed it for depression, anxiety and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder - it has almost completely resolved issues I have had for most of my life. I hesitated in taking it due to side-effects mostly because I have always been obsessed with my weight. I'm happy to report that if anything, I have dropped weight in the last year. I no longer am tempted to binge eat and just lead a healthy and active lifestyle because I am happier. I really wanted someone to read this who was in my position - who was too scared to try it because of side-effects. My only side effects are dry eyes, I need to sleep 8 hours a night (instead of 5-6) and that's the worst of it!”

Emiwis · Taken for less than 1 month April 29, 2021

“I was just recently diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder a few months ago. I developed a strange form of OCD in which I engage in mental compulsions and have to repeat the same words in my head to relieve anxiety. A little after a week and I’m already noticing SUCH an improvement of symptoms. I don’t feel so overly aware of everything and the best part is that I can focus at school!! I was studying for an exam yesterday and I could digest every word without my thoughts screaming at me or distracting me. It really feels as if a switch went off in my brain. My thoughts are so much more positive. This medicine has given me my life back.”

you CAN feel better again! July 22, 2021

“I have OCD, and honestly, this medication has given me my life back. This was the second med I took; lexapro was horrible for me. I have been taking Zoloft for 3.5 months. I was also seeing an OCD therapist through NOCD. You will definitely see better, faster results if you use this medication in conjunction with therapy. I first did have some negative side effects: GI upset, increased moodiness, fatigue, etc. this lasted for 8 days, and with dosage increases I also felt wonky for a few days. I also LOST weight, which was an added bonus. :)Please know this med is not a magic pill, it does take time to work which can be terribly frustrating at first. But WOW, I cannot tell you what I different place I am in. I just feel like myself again. I do still have intrusive thoughts, but I am ruminating much less and I no longer give these thoughts attention. My anxiety is significantly less and I am just so much happier. God bless everyone, I know OCD can be tormenting but you have GOT THIS!!!”

Kelly · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 10, 2020

“I have been taking 100mg Zoloft daily for almost 8 years and I find it really helps with OCD, especially the dulling of intrusive thoughts that would normally cause me a lot of distress, anxiety and were quite frankly, ruining my life. I am now at a stage where I am wondering whether I should attempt to wean myself off this drug, but am increasingly anxious about coming off the drug, as it has been so successful. I've had a few side effects, such as a reduced attention span and weight gain, but all in all, the drug has helped me live a normal life, with only two relapses in the eight years I've been on them. Both times I've relapsed, I have received help from a counsellor or CBT, but have stayed on the drug throughout, maintaining a steady dosage.”

Rina · Taken for less than 1 month August 9, 2020

“I was suffering from depression my entire life, and I didn't even know it. I'm 32 years old and started taking Zoloft 3 weeks ago. At first I suffered from many side effects; insomnia, dizziness, nausea, blurred vision, tired feeling, and even nervousness, was the worst 10 days of my life. After enduring those 10 days, I was able to look at life differently, I'm able to accept flaws in anything, pardon excuses, laugh with my family and friends comfortably, I can see why people thought I was high maintenance.. I was horrible to my family with unrealistic standards.”

Kristianda · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 29, 2020

“Suffering with existencial OCD alongside with DP/DR episodes. I went to the psychiatrist and was prescribed Zoloft, 1st week 25mg, 2nd week 50mg, 3rd week 100mg until the end of month 1. The first 3 weeks were so awful, especially when I started with the 100mg tablets, I even had suicidal thoughts to the point where I couldn't even relate to anything. 4 days after the 100mg dose adjustments and everything is fine, more like a magic pill. This drug is awesome, but beware that you will feel way worse before you start to feel better! And every dose adjustment seems to reset the process.”

Char. · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 14, 2019

“Been going up slowly on Zoloft to help my OCD. I started on 12.5 mg for 2 weeks, 25 mg for 3 weeks, 37.5 mg for 2 weeks then 50 mg for 3 weeks now 62.5mg. Overall I’m feeling better. Intrusive thoughts related to harm OCD have gone. General anxiety still there but not constant. When I started this medication for OCD and panic attacks I was literally having panic attacks every hour due to the OCD. My anxiety was a 10 now, most days it’s 0-2 every day I do have some sort of anxious feeling but for the most part it’s a fleeting feeling. BEST THING ABOUT THIS MEDICATION... I LOST 20 LBs and continue to not want to eat junk food. I also started working out. Good luck! I wish you the best and hope to continue getting better with time.”

Ryan · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 17, 2021

“Before getting on Zoloft 50 mg, I had severe anxiety and my brain would constantly find something to worry about. I had rituals I had to follow and I was super obsessive and that was leading to severe anxiety and depression. Zoloft helped me so much as far as changing my state of mind. I am now happier with so much less anxiety.”

Staystrongxo · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 6, 2020

“Been taking Zoloft 100mg, Wellbutrin 300mg, and Abilify 5mg for we’ll over a year now for OCD. Every time I try to taper off my OCD spirals into suicidal obsessions, which brings on depression and hopelessness. The combination I take helps but is not a miracle. Did it save my life? I believe so. Don’t be afraid to try medication if you’re already at rock bottom. Stay strong and persevere. CHEERS XOXO”

JimMbama August 18, 2013

“I went years without getting help until about 8 months ago when I finally broke down, saw a doctor, and was prescribed Zoloft. This pill has given me my life back. I was diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, specifically intrusive/disturbing thoughts and obsessions. This disorder occupied all of my time and energy, to the point where life was unbearable and hopeless. About two weeks after starting Zoloft there were noticeable improvements. After 6 weeks, I was a different person. Anxiety-0, OCD, still there but more of a minor in convenience than life consuming. Side effects were typical at first: nausea, diarrhea, lightheaded, and insomnia. All of which subsided after a few weeks. I highly recommend that if you diagnosed, ask for Zoloft.”

MuchHappier · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 1, 2017

“I started Zoloft because I was struggling with obsessive, repetitive thoughts about bad things happening to my children which made me anxious all the time. The first 3 weeks were hell. Even the Klonopin the doctor gave me to get through it didn't help. It felt like my anxiety levels tripled. I could barely function. Between weeks 4-5 I transitioned to just feeling as anxious as I had been before. Then it felt like a balloon was inflating inside my head (in a good way), and the anxious thoughts were bouncing off the balloon instead of being allowed to collect and swirl around torturing me. Then I started having moments of feeling GOOD. And those moments grew into my new reality. My anxiety is 90% better. Zoloft gave me a new life.”

Severe health anxiety/OCD · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 6, 2014

“I have suffered with severe health anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder related to this anxiety for about 6 years. I would spend countless hours a day googling symptoms and doing certain health related rituals, and it was taking over my life. I finally talked to my doctor at the urging of my family and ended up on 50 mg of Zoloft. I didn't want to take it because part of my health anxiety is a fear of any type of medication. After about 3 weeks of it sitting untouched in my cabinet I started to take it. I didn't feel strange - no side effects. Maybe a little more sleepy at night? After about 3 weeks on Zoloft I noticed that I didn't have the urge to Google health symptoms anymore and I would *forget* to do some of my daily rituals.”

Marta1010101010 October 30, 2013

“Zoloft has changed my life. I used to feel like I wanted to stop living. I had anxiety with racing thoughts, feeling short of breath, social anxiety, and obsessive bad thoughts. I no longer feel suicidal and my irritability has gotten 100% better. I still get short of breath sometimes and worry about things but overall just feel so much more even keeled. I waited a month before taking it after getting the prescription because I didn't want to take meds and felt like it was a cop out. I'm so happy I decided to give it a try. I haven't gained weight and don't feel like my emotions are dulled. I feel happier and more hopeful. Strongly recommend.”

Sam · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 29, 2021

“I have STRONG and SCARY intrusive thoughts that have been driving me crazy. At about 17 years of age I started off with fluvoxamine for about 2 years I was okay, then it started to come back so the doctor eventually increased my dose from 50mg to 100mg. I felt better for 6 months then again increased from 100mg to 150mg and so forth up until I reached 300mg. I saw a new psychiatrist and he changed it to fluoxetine went for months and didn’t help then I was put on clomipramine for months also didn’t work. The psychiatrist put me on clomipramine, risperedal and Zoloft that was just added now so I can’t say much about Zoloft just yet but I feel so hopeless not medication is helping AT ALL. What do I do someone help me through this night mare :(:(”

Zovy76 · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 29, 2016

“It took a while, but Zoloft has been a total lifesaver for me. I had severe OCD/anxiety and later on depression as well. Anyone who's ever had crippling anxiety knows what mental torture it is. I was so afraid to try Zoloft but finally gave in when I felt like I had nothing to lose. I was on 50mg and the first few days I only felt a little dizzy but nothing else. On day 11, I first noticed some kind of shift. I remember looking at a tree and for the first time in years feeling joy, like I felt as a kid, and just enjoying its beauty vs fearing getting killed by a falling branch. About 6 weeks in I felt less tense overall but still felt it could be better. Started 100mg and my anxiety is gone. I feel normal again! Please give this a try!”

Sisi · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 6, 2019

“I never write on Pages like this, but after taking Zoloft for 3 months I have to write! Just so others that might be in a difficult situation can get help! (Sorry if my English is bad, I don't speak this language in my country) I started taking Zoloft after 2.5 years with anxiety, OCD and on/off depression. I was scared to death when I tried SSRI the first time (Prozac) and realised that was not the right drug for me. After another 6 months trying to cope with my problems on my own I was not able to go to work in the end. My doctor recommended Zoloft and the first 3-4 weeks were though. But slowly I started to feel more like my self! I still have some days that are worse than others, but now I can manage. And most days I feel fine and like my self. If you are afraid to start this type of medicine, just try it out! It can change your life, and if it don't you can just quit”

LOLO244 December 12, 2014

“I used to spend hours searching the web for some sort of cure for my obsessive thoughts. I was looking for answers and had fear of depression and anxiety. I have been taking this medication two months and I can honestly see an improvement in the person I am becoming. I am more patient for sure. I still have minimal anxiety but I am able to think through it without sitting in my bed and crying. I am someone who is terrified of ALL medication but I knew I had to do something for myself. At age(20) This has been such a positive experience and I plan on moving up my dose to see more improvements. I was in CBT for a year prior to this medication but found myself actually becoming worse. STAY OFF GOOGLE AND TAKE IT.”

JPknee · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 7, 2019

“I have been taking Zoloft regularly for about 3 years. After taking celexa forever, which was largely ineffective, I was given Zoloft and was skeptical. However, this drug has given me a big part of my life back. It has put both my OCD and depression into remission, meaning they affect my life pretty minimally now. No more obsessive thoughts, no ritual type behaviors. I have hope again. I suffer from bipolar 1 as well, and this in addition to Lamictal (mood stabilizer) has saved my life, no joke. Please consider giving this a shot.”

Milkykiss · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 3, 2014

“It's my third time returning back to Zoloft and I'm 21. First time I've used Zoloft I was only 15 and it was for Social Anxiety/Severe Depression and it helped me tremendously. Stopped it after one year and maybe... 6 months later my anxiety was back along with obsessive compulsive disorder. Anyway, I'm back on it and after 1 month I can say this IT'S PERFECT. I'm lucky to not have any side effects (except maybe a little bit of diziness but I don't care) and I feel so much better!!! I'm way LESS ANXIOUS, OCD is diminished by 3/4 (I still need to follow therapy for this problem), no more black thoughts, I'm also more focused at school and my thoughts are more coherent/clear. I don't think I'll ever stop this medication... For me, it's a life saver.”

Sam · Taken for less than 1 month September 18, 2020

“Zoloft works pretty well after being on it for nearly a month. In the first two weeks, my mood was bad, and I had very jittery hands and what not, this was while was on a 25mg dose. Then I started to feel slightly better, then upped the dose to 50mg. During this time, I felt the side effects all over again, and I believe now it's just levelling off, and I finally feel a shift again, where I am able to appreciate things more, laugh more, etc. The obsessive thoughts aren't gone, but they are way more manageable and I don't ruminate on them nearly as much.”

Josh November 29, 2019

“BEST DRUG EVER! Lets start from the beginning. Im 17 and about 4 months ago I greened out on edibles. Little did I know my family has past mental health problems :/ and sure enough this brought them out. I was high for a literal week and thought the intrusive thoughts/ paranoia would soon stop. It didn’t. My life tuned into a nightmare. I started to feel extremely disconnected from reality and had anxiety so bad it was debilitating. Me being a stupid stubborn 17 year old I thought I could let it pass. It also didn’t. I finally gave in and told my parents. The doc gave me 100mg of Zoloft to take. The first week was GREAT. I felt high as a kite, numb, and out of it. I can see how people can’t handle it and panic but I looked at the bright side. The dream were EPIC. The next day I woke up and I FELT LIKE THE OLD ME! I just felt normal! Another upside is delayed ejaculation lol can last in the bed for 3 hours now. Girlfriend loves it! 10/10 just push through the first week or so”

Warriorprincess1985 December 2, 2019

“All my life I've had irrational fears & ocd. Every time I quit zoloft I'd spiral. Back on at 50mg moving up to 100mg tomorrow. Zoloft gives me the confidence I need to live instead of hiding with fear. I'm only on day 4 but already feel slightly better. Will update in 4 weeks.”

Learn more about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder