User Reviews for Zoloft

Learn more about Zoloft.

Zoloft Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 41 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Zoloft to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

"Have been on 150mg zoloft for a year and a half- works well but some GI distress and tingliness- Dr said to lower to 100 mg and see how I feel- I hope my body isn't only used to 150mg but will give it a go."

Rosanna3 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on 50 mg for a month and it seemed to help a bit. My doctor and I agreed to up to 100mg last week. Since then my anxiety and intrusive thoughts have been awful. Is this just a side effect until it balances out?!"

Mattstevens August 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I switched from Lexapro to Zoloft when we were trying to conceive as it's preferred for breastfeeding. Although I actually stopped cold turkey when I got pregnant and was fine. I didn't experience any major side effects from this though. I don't think it worked quite as well as Lexapro for anxiety but it did the job."

FlamingoPink August 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on this medication for exactly 20 days now, and believe me when I say it has saved my life! I dealt with extremely disturbing intrusive thoughts, leading to to severe anxiety and depression for 4 years. After almost giving up come for my life completely, I finally told my GP about my situation, he and a pysch confirmed the OCD put me on 50mg of Zoloft first week then 100mg and I finally feel like myself again! OCD is minimal and definitely manageable, to the point where it barely bothers me and I only know it'll improve because its only been 20 days! It does give a little diarrhea but its so worth it."

imnotmyocd (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I previously gave this a 10. l said it changed my life but since moving cities my anxiety has gotten so bad and OCD has gotten worse - not sure if it pooped out or just circumstances or need to change meds...frustrating"

Matty12345 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I developed a very specific form of OCD in my early 50's that is commonly described as "Ear Worms". It is where a song or a snippet of a song gets stuck in your head and keeps playing over and over. It got so bad it was literally driving me insane. I would have a snippet playing nonstop for WEEKS! Day and night (kept me awake until I fell asleep from exhaustion). Played at work CONSTANTLY where I couldn't focus. I would be in meetings unable to pay attention because I would have a song blaring over and over in my head. After ramping up doses, I settled at 100mg/day of Zoloft which has SAVED MY LIFE! It works! I can listen to music again and not yell at my wife when she sings. And I have no side effects."

SpongeBob828 June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had OCD for 3 years. I could not sit down. I was eating while I was unable to concentrate on anything else than my thoughts. I would avoid going to the bathroom because I could not seat down on the toilet. In order to avoid my thoughts I was walking about 11 km per day. I would fall asleep thinking about something and in the next morning I would wake up thinking the same thing. I had the same exact thought for 3 days until something else stuck in my mind. I am taking 250 mg a day now and everything is good. The only think is that Coffee and Alcohol messes up the medication. One day after two coffees I had to take something else to calm my self down."

georgeeee May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worked very well for intrusive thoughts OCD for 5 months and then when I missed dosages and tried starting back on it again it stopped working. Other than that I had no problems with Zoloft."

Sean0810 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started on 25mg and went up to 50mg/day for a relapse of pure-obsessional OCD. It took about a month for it to start working but this drug in combination with learning the principles of Exposure Response Prevention Therapy (ERP Therapy) - a type of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) have allowed me to regain control of my mind. The depression that came with the relapse vanished in two weeks, anxiety and intrusive thoughts slowly dissipated/reduced in intensity about a month afterwards. I feel normal again and I couldn't be happier. If you're one of the unlucky folks who have been blessed with OCD, give sertraline (Zoloft) a shot. Just make sure to combine it with therapy otherwise it won't be as effective."

duderino March 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on this medication for two days and I have had a significant improvement in obsessive thoughts and my anxiety. I had insomnia last night, but I heard that subsides. I have tons of energy and want to go do things I had lost interest in doing. I don't know if this is just going to be in the beginning, but I have read it only gets better. I have a little nausea, but I have stomach problems as well so I'm used to it. I will put an update later on. I am going to stick this out! update: two weeks on zoloft and my OCD going insane. going to up to 50mg tomorrow. will update."

xoxobecca619 (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started Zoloft because I was struggling with obsessive, repetitive thoughts about bad things happening to my children which made me anxious all the time. The first 3 weeks were hell. Even the Klonopin the doctor gave me to get through it didn't help. It felt like my anxiety levels tripled. I could barely function. Between weeks 4-5 I transitioned to just feeling as anxious as I had been before. Then it felt like a balloon was inflating inside my head (in a good way), and the anxious thoughts were bouncing off the balloon instead of being allowed to collect and swirl around torturing me. Then I started having moments of feeling GOOD. And those moments grew into my new reality. My anxiety is 90% better. Zoloft gave me a new life."

MuchHappier (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi All Im a young man 24 years old, I have several issues with my brain since many years ago.... I have a Major Depression, GAD, SAD, OCD, and Panic Disorder. I've been tried many option, I tried Hypnotherapy, Emotional Therapy, CBT , also I been to some psychiatrist in Indonesia and Singapore. Finally I met the best psychiatrist in my country, and with him I found best med and finally cure my problem. You all have to try this too and talk to your psychiatrist to ask for prescription. Every Morning I take 1mg Ativan and Every Night I take 5mg Zyprexa and 150mg Zoloft Please try this, please.. Enjoy your life.. Also CBT is good as well..."

TSG from Indonesia please read January 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm a 28 year old female and took generic Setraline (APO-Setraline) prescribed by my doctor for treatment of my OCD for about a year. It worked pretty well and my obsessive thoughts were less intrusive and I felt at peace and happier. It also caused my metabolism to spike so I was losing weight. However after about 2 months, I started developing painful cystic acne. For a long time, I didn't link it to the Setraline I was taking as it wasn't a listed side effect. However, after trial and error of eliminating other causes, I finally decided to stop my Setraline to see if there could possibly be a link. Unfortunately, it really was the cause. By then, my face has been scarred so badly I really regret taking this med. :'("

Sad Face (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It took a while, but Zoloft has been a total lifesaver for me. I had severe OCD/anxiety and later on depression as well. Anyone who's ever had crippling anxiety knows what mental torture it is. I was so afraid to try Zoloft but finally gave in when I felt like I had nothing to lose. I was on 50mg and the first few days I only felt a little dizzy but nothing else. On day 11, I first noticed some kind of shift. I remember looking at a tree and for the first time in years feeling joy, like I felt as a kid, and just enjoying its beauty vs fearing getting killed by a falling branch. About 6 weeks in I felt less tense overall but still felt it could be better. Started 100mg and my anxiety is gone. I feel normal again! Please give this a try!"

Zovy76 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on lexapro for years before it pooped out and it helped alright.Finally switched to zoloft 150 mg and it did take 2-3 months but ever since I have never felt better. No more OCD/anxiety, I'm a new person, it literally saved my life. 10-10 would recommend and hoping it works for the rest of my life"

Matty1234 November 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a 32 year old female who just started taking Zoloft for my OCD. I have been on it for two days and right now I'm having the worst headache ever. I rarely ever get headaches and they're never this bad. Could the Zoloft be causing this? I'm reading all of these wonderful stories about how it helps with OCD and I just don't know if I can keep taking it if I have this side effect. I'm at my wits end with all of these drugs and I just want to live a normal, healthy life without obsessions and compulsions. But the way, I have bipolar disorder, as well. I am on mood stabilizers and Neurontin."

Laura Yang November 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed this for OCD, PTSD, generalized anxiety disorder and severe depression. First, it didn't do so much, if anything, for my depression. In fact, I had less energy and experienced apathy on this drug . That being said, when it came to my OCD, hyper-vigilance & anxiety, this drug was a miracle drug. It took away 85% of my obsessions & became apathetic to my rituals. Unfortunately, after being on this for 5-6 years (and being above the absolute maximum dose @ 250mg), I've been experiencing major "poop-out" effect. I'm worried that something is not going to work as well and work with the very minimal side effects that I experienced with Zoloft, as I have exhausted countless drugs."

Obsessed&Depressed (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have OCD & PTSD. Zoloft is the only medication I've been prescribed. I have been taking it for 3 months, but am overjoyed at the results. I started at 25 mg. It took a month to start working. The first thing that I noticed was that I didn't feel as depressed anymore, and I lost the urge to do most of my compulsions. I am now taking 50 mg and barely have any anxiety anymore, and intrusive thoughts do not bother me anymore, though I do frequently have nightmares similar to the intrusive thoughts I used to have. I also have headaches and occasional diarrhea, but the benefits far outweigh these minor inconveniences."

Ash Ketchum September 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"30/F. I developed severe anxiety due to obsessive "bang your head against a wall to make it stop" intrusive thoughts at age 7. I "grew out" of it as I got older, but it hit back in full swing at 18. After years of walking around with a constant stomachache and having obsessive thought-induced panic attacks (all while living a "normal" life) I finally went to see a doctor. I started out at 50mg and later bumped up to 100. First few days felt like I had mild morning sickness and brain fog, but faded quickly. The only real lasting symptom is restless legs/sleeplessness at night, and I'd rather be awake and restless than awake and hysterical. I do think about/initiate sex less, but have found that (for me) getting started anyway does the trick."

kyriej (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was initially scared to go on Zoloft, as I had been on it when I was 12 for depression and I was told I was a despondent zombie. I'm 18 now and have probably taken 10 different antidepressants. Two months ago I began having horrible intrusive thoughts, and this was the first drug recommended. I agreed to try it after some pushing from my doctor and more experimentation. The first two weeks was hell; I couldn't keep anything down. I lost 18 pounds in two weeks. My OCD is better but it's still not great. I had periods of derealization when switching doses and some of it has stayed. I'm currently on 100mg and probably going to up my dose."

fireash345 July 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Setraline has worked great for me! I have been on it for 3 months and take it for anxiety, OCD, and depression. The first 2-3 weeks were very hard as I feel I got every side effect listed. Headaches, more anxiety, the works! This is the second medication I have tried. I took Lexapro for 3 months prior to Setraline, but it didn't help me much (actually caused more depression). It took about 3-4 weeks for me to fully see the benefits of this drug, however it causes bluntness to my good feelings and extreme fatigue. It is very hard for me to function like this as I am a mother of 3 and need that energy/motivation to get around and not just want to lay in bed all day. I would rate it 7 with my OCD, 9 for anxiety and depression."

TMata (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffer from harm-ocd (violent impulsive thoughts), and im taking Zoloft for almost 2 years now. Im currently 23 years old. Here is my review.. It helped me much but it didnt eliminate OCD. Though, it reduced anxiety and the frequency my mind produces impulsive thoughts with. In the past, i had pains in the back side of my head and Zoloft made them go away. Nonetheless, I also had some side effects. If i take it late at night, it will cause me tension making it hard for me to sleep. Additionally, i feel like its much harder for me to climax during sex. I still can ofcourse, but i need to put the double effort."

NickAsim23 June 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First month, bad side effects. Felt worsening anxiety, and felt like a zombie. After about 4 weeks the magic happened. My obsessions became minimal, and my depression/pmdd improved imensely. Sideeffects include some weight gain like 15 lbs, and loss of sex drive. However I was on 50 mg, and the improvement in my mental state was worth it. I could only take this drug at night, in the morning it would make me dizzy. I was in this for 4years, it does improve obsessive worrying and depression."

nellie 4 June 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug has side effects but benefits is much more. If you suffering from depression and anxiety try it."

batman007t (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Zoloft for depression anxiety and OCD. I was excited to take it. My parents kept me on the holistic lifestyle growing up so I was ready for something to really work for me. Seeing how severe my depression and anxiety were is in my adulthood I decided to try it. 1st day I thought I knew what I was in for but once I experienced it- it was strange it's a very strong drug. felt good initially. It was working and I felt happier like my mind was fixing itself. I noticed how dark of a place I was in. 2nd day I started feeling the negative side effects like feeling tired and restless at the same time which is an awkward and horrible feeling and my anxiety got worse. Also dizzy and ringing ears. I may go back on it but I'm checking w my dr."

Jennycar (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2016