User Reviews for Zoloft to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Zoloft Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 40 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Zoloft

Rina · Taken for less than 1 month August 9, 2020

“I was suffering from depression my entire life, and I didn't even know it. I'm 32 years old and started taking Zoloft 3 weeks ago. At first I suffered from many side effects; insomnia, dizziness, nausea, blurred vision, tired feeling, and even nervousness, was the worst 10 days of my life. After enduring those 10 days, I was able to look at life differently, I'm able to accept flaws in anything, pardon excuses, laugh with my family and friends comfortably, I can see why people thought I was high maintenance.. I was horrible to my family with unrealistic standards.”

Kelly · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 10, 2020

“I have been taking 100mg Zoloft daily for almost 8 years and I find it really helps with OCD, especially the dulling of intrusive thoughts that would normally cause me a lot of distress, anxiety and were quite frankly, ruining my life. I am now at a stage where I am wondering whether I should attempt to wean myself off this drug, but am increasingly anxious about coming off the drug, as it has been so successful. I've had a few side effects, such as a reduced attention span and weight gain, but all in all, the drug has helped me live a normal life, with only two relapses in the eight years I've been on them. Both times I've relapsed, I have received help from a counsellor or CBT, but have stayed on the drug throughout, maintaining a steady dosage.”

Linda · Taken for less than 1 month May 5, 2020

“I was on Zoloft about 15 years ago under the care of a psychiatrist. She had me on a few different things at once and I remember feeling great for the first time in a long time. I haven’t been on medication for over 10 years, however the pandemic has brought my OCD to the surface. My general practitioner gave me 50 mg of zoloft because I told her it worked in the past. I am on day 25 and I feel awful!!! The mornings are the worst. I feel jittery and emotional. I have to take xanax to even function. I have had this weird pressure and tingling in my head for about 10 days and I wake up 4 times a night in a sweat. With my OCD I, of course, thought I must be dying. Then I started reading this thread and realized that the sensations and emotions could be coming from the Zoloft. I made an appt with a psychiatrist who specializes in psychopharmacology, but I have to wait until next Monday (6 days away).”

Blackcat · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 30, 2020

“AWFUL side effects!!! Took Zoloft in high school and gained 50lbs along with an eating disorder because the psychiatrist brushed off all my complaints as irrational even though the weight gain was detrimental to my mental health (still cannot drop the weight years after stopping), hair loss, constant cold sores, cavities, very heavy periods (and eventually severe anemia), brain fog, loss of creativity, eventually developed severe Tourettes syndrome after stopping, list goes on!! AVOID if you value your health and well-being! Also did not even help that much! Not worth it at all for me.”

lyoto · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 23, 2020

“reduces anxiety by about ~30% but with it takes ~70% of emotions. I feel like I have 0 emotions. Also, very drowsy as well as feeling depersonalization/derealization. Will be switching medication.”

Neal · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 15, 2020

“I have moved on and off sertraline, as well as increased and decreased doses, for the last few years. Consistently (at all doses) I find that it has helped alleviate obsessions, as well as the anxiety and distress associated with the obsessions. Thus far I have found the best results when mixing a medium dose (~100mg/day for a 200lb male) with exercise and CBT. I’ve found 50mg doesn’t help me very much with obsessions but it does help with some of my GAD symptoms; 200mg w/ CBT alleviated almost all major obsessions, but the dose was too hefty and I was struggling with side effects such as energy levels and fatigue. I am currently on 50mg and planning to push it back to 100mg while maintaining CBT & consistent exercise.”

cwilson · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 29, 2020

“I know for some this drug has done wonders. But in my experience it did nothing but make me worse. I had horrible IBS problems on it to where I had to go to a GI doctor. It made me unable to sleep, eat and enjoy life. I had no energy on it, at times it would make me have such bad anxiety that I would get hot flashes on my neck. I do not like SSRI's they do nothing but make someone fat and sick. but that is my experience. Did not do anything for my OCD issues or BDD issues.”

Ann · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 23, 2019

“I recently got diagnosed with OCD (almost 2 mouths ago). My therapist suggested I start taking something to better deal with this issue and recommend Zoloft dose 50mg/per day. I can honestly say it changed my life for the better. Usually antidepressants work for OCD patients to around a 40%-80% improvement rate, and I can proudly say I am one of the people with higher percentage. When it comes to side effects I do get a little bit nauseous and I'm generally more tired, but apart from that I feel much better and my only concern at the moment is it stopping to work for me.”

Nat December 10, 2019

“Well this was my first experience taking any sort of medication for OCD. I am in my twenties and didn't notice a difference until around a month and a half. I gained 35 pounds within 2 months and started to become depressed (numbing feeling). I have had anxiety and obsession my whole life but began to feel like I was failing in everything. I couldn't continue school or work and made me feel extremely sensitive. It didn't work for me so I got off of it due to the major side effects it had.”

JPknee · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 7, 2019

“I have been taking Zoloft regularly for about 3 years. After taking celexa forever, which was largely ineffective, I was given Zoloft and was skeptical. However, this drug has given me a big part of my life back. It has put both my OCD and depression into remission, meaning they affect my life pretty minimally now. No more obsessive thoughts, no ritual type behaviors. I have hope again. I suffer from bipolar 1 as well, and this in addition to Lamictal (mood stabilizer) has saved my life, no joke. Please consider giving this a shot.”

Warriorprincess1985 December 2, 2019

“All my life I've had irrational fears & ocd. Every time I quit zoloft I'd spiral. Back on at 50mg moving up to 100mg tomorrow. Zoloft gives me the confidence I need to live instead of hiding with fear. I'm only on day 4 but already feel slightly better. Will update in 4 weeks.”

Josh November 29, 2019

“BEST DRUG EVER! Lets start from the beginning. Im 17 and about 4 months ago I greened out on edibles. Little did I know my family has past mental health problems :/ and sure enough this brought them out. I was high for a literal week and thought the intrusive thoughts/ paranoia would soon stop. It didn’t. My life tuned into a nightmare. I started to feel extremely disconnected from reality and had anxiety so bad it was debilitating. Me being a stupid stubborn 17 year old I thought I could let it pass. It also didn’t. I finally gave in and told my parents. The doc gave me 100mg of Zoloft to take. The first week was GREAT. I felt high as a kite, numb, and out of it. I can see how people can’t handle it and panic but I looked at the bright side. The dream were EPIC. The next day I woke up and I FELT LIKE THE OLD ME! I just felt normal! Another upside is delayed ejaculation lol can last in the bed for 3 hours now. Girlfriend loves it! 10/10 just push through the first week or so”

May may October 10, 2019

“I’ve dealt with anxiety since I was 22 (now 28). At the start of this year my anxiety got bad. At my lowest I decided to make an appointment to see a doctor. I was sobbing after I got off the phone to book the appointment because I felt my anxiety had defeated me. Little did I know that I was finally choosing to take control. I was prescribed 50mg of Zoloft 4/1/19 and have stayed there. The beginning was rough. I felt jittery, nauseous, and “weird”. It took a month before I started to notice a difference. My generalized anxiety started to fade and it felt amazing! Intrusive thoughts began to settle down too! I was sleeping better, handling stress better, I could socialize better, overall I had a lot more confidence. I take my pill at the same time everyday. I can’t believe how much better I feel today, it can bring me tears. I needed to feel better to see how bad I was. Please don’t be afraid to try it. Give it time! Don’t judge it after 2 or even 3 weeks. Be patient and allow it to work.”

tj · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 20, 2019

“It did not work at all I was taking 200mg and it did nothing but make me tired and caused a lack of appetite”

Sisi · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 6, 2019

“I never write on Pages like this, but after taking Zoloft for 3 months I have to write! Just so others that might be in a difficult situation can get help! (Sorry if my English is bad, I don't speak this language in my country) I started taking Zoloft after 2.5 years with anxiety, OCD and on/off depression. I was scared to death when I tried SSRI the first time (Prozac) and realised that was not the right drug for me. After another 6 months trying to cope with my problems on my own I was not able to go to work in the end. My doctor recommended Zoloft and the first 3-4 weeks were though. But slowly I started to feel more like my self! I still have some days that are worse than others, but now I can manage. And most days I feel fine and like my self. If you are afraid to start this type of medicine, just try it out! It can change your life, and if it don't you can just quit”

Chels · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 29, 2019

“I have bipolar type 2 and have been diagnosed for 10 years. Once I turned 29, OCD manifested itself into my life. I could no longer drive, performing poorly at work, and could barely leave the house due to checking. After a year of trying various Combos of lithium and anxiety meds, I had enough and begged my doctor to put me on antidepressants. They were reluctant because I could induce mania, but heard me out and started me at 200mg. It changed my life. Two months and I was free of OCD symptoms and driving again. No side effects, however I tolerate medication well. This is a life saver.”

Jeuc · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 23, 2019

“Taking the Zoloft medicine for over 5 years now, it helped a lot for my OCD. Can not imagine living without it.”

Chrissmile · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 13, 2019

“I have suffered from OCD and clinical depression for 30 years. Everyone I know who also suffer with depression.; that took Zoloft have more problems with 'flat lining' we call it, which is when you have no feelings at all, no empathy, no crying or feeling when watching a movie . It's not worth prescribing”

Char. · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 14, 2019

“Been going up slowly on Zoloft to help my OCD. I started on 12.5 mg for 2 weeks, 25 mg for 3 weeks, 37.5 mg for 2 weeks then 50 mg for 3 weeks now 62.5mg. Overall I’m feeling better. Intrusive thoughts related to harm OCD have gone. General anxiety still there but not constant. When I started this medication for OCD and panic attacks I was literally having panic attacks every hour due to the OCD. My anxiety was a 10 now, most days it’s 0-2 every day I do have some sort of anxious feeling but for the most part it’s a fleeting feeling. BEST THING ABOUT THIS MEDICATION... I LOST 20 LBs and continue to not want to eat junk food. I also started working out. Good luck! I wish you the best and hope to continue getting better with time.”

AlbertWilliams June 11, 2019

“Left my country at 18, and got diagnosed with Suicidal OCD and I was having extreme anxiety and thinking all the time. Never had drugs, but I saw a psychiatrist that diagnosed me with pure O (especially Suicidal OCD, a type of Harm OCD) and taught me ERP (exposure response prevention therapy), especially CBT ( cognitive behavioral therapy) and ACT (acceptance and commitment therapy). It's important to combine therapy and medication, OCD is more practice, accepting and dealing with thoughts, than drugs, but the drugs helped a lot! I accepted my obsessive thoughts and the monster kept getting smaller and smaller. Sometimes had side effects, but minimal (sexual side effects and dizziness), but they go away after some time. Zoloft gave me my happiness back, but it was the ERP, CBT and ACT that helped me LIVE WITH IT. It's important to seek help with psychiatrists that are specialized in Anxiety Disorders. About the best time to take Zoloft: Zoloft made me feel like a zombie when I took it in the morning, so I started taking it at the same time everyday (around 22.00h), and the results were great.”

Peter245 · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 21, 2019

“Very nice however very poor for flashbacks in my subjective experience. It helped regain my life back from all irrational fears and troubles, it is a pretty good SSRI, but i needed an add on Antipsychotic to combat the other few issues Zoloft did not fix.”

RFM · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 7, 2019

“I started taking Zoloft two months ago. It's helped my OCD but it's not a cure all. I'm only on 100mg. It would work better at 200mg but the side effects are bad enough with everything else. Additionally I take 20mg Memantine and 450mg Wellburin, Testosterone gel, and 20mg Lisinopril.”

kellymcnamara1994 · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 10, 2018

“While Zoloft did alleviate some OCD symptoms, it made me very hypomanic. It was not fun-- my thoughts were racing so badly and I said very inappropriate things at work. This drug will probably not do that to everyone, but even without me having bipolar, I had this reaction that I don't get with other drugs. It's not a bad drug for most-- just a warning that it may happen to others, bipolar or not!”

survival · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 29, 2018

“I'm suffering from pure 'Obsessive' harm OCD and it is really exhausted I went to psychiatric and prescribed me zoloft. First it was nightmare all day suffering and anxious and worst of it mood swings that ugly side effects then 2 month later it begin to show activity .... now after 1 year it make a good job but I'm still having mood swing”

moe · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 6, 2018

“Great SSRI for OCD, depression and anxiety. Taking 150 mg a day. No weight gain and other noticeable side effects. Stick with it if you're just starting out. Takes time for it to work.”

Learn more about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder