User Reviews for Xanax XR to treat Panic Disorder

Xanax XR has an average rating of 8.4 out of 10 from a total of 37 ratings for the treatment of Panic Disorder. 84% of those users who reviewed Xanax XR reported a positive effect, while 14% reported a negative effect.

Xanax XR Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 34 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

46% 17
5% 2
3% 1

Reviews for Xanax XR

Dopey · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 21, 2021

“I was prescribed 1 MG alprazolam XR off and on for 6 years. Overall, it served its purpose. It completely diminished anxiety and social phobias. I became the biggest intellectual while taking this medication. However, it is very strong, you do get tired, and at times, at higher doses, you loose your inhibitions. It becomes possible to partake in risky behavior as well. Nonetheless, I was not always fond of the feelings provided by benzodiazepines. My addiction was to opiates and I never felt euphoric from Alprazolam XR so I did not take them regularly or become addicted. I only took them when I felt I was having a panic attack or an anxiety issue. I have read Alprazolam XR is hard to kick. I advise you do not take this medication more than two or three times a month and even that is pushing it. It’s the best benzodiazepine by far in my opinion for social anxiety, but it can also be your worst enemy if not used properly.”

Gechie · Taken for less than 1 month November 18, 2020

“I just started on Xanax XR 0.50mg prescribed as twice a day but will do one a day. The other did not last long. Using Xanax XR from CVS as heb generics are not that good. My insurance would not pay used Goodrx and paid $30 . Also 5 mg lexapro so I can get off the xanax. Side effects sleeping, dry mouth etc. 6 days on the lexapro and 1st day on the Xr. Do not want to get addicted. I am 73 yr with anxiety and depression. Friend in military gave me some real adderall. Broke in half for 10 mg or less. No anxiety or depression, motivation. Lots of energy. Will cost me $280 a month for the real adderall. Doc did give me a generic 10 mg not do anything. Wish me luck .”

Madi November 14, 2020

“I am a very anxious person. I am diagnosed with panic disorder which has had an extreme impact on my quality of life. I have been on various benzos throughout the years. Namely, xanax for about 5 years. I used to take 4 mg a day and then went down to 3mg a day for the past year due to circumstances outside of my control. I recently discussed with my Dr. How my anxiety has been consuming me and how I think I need to be back on 2mg twice a day. She wanted me to try 1mg of Xanax XR (slow release) a day in addition to the regular 3 mg I take. I find little to no relief with the Xanax XR. If I take it in conjunction with 1mg of regular release, it helps better but I shouldn't have to do that so now next month I have to talk to her yet again. I'm a first time mom and all I want is to live life without anxiety dictating my every thought. Anyone have a similar experience?”

rholland321 · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 11, 2020

“My doctor prescribed Xanax IR for my condition, high anxiety. After other medication's for instance Valium or Librium were helpful but failed to control my over willing anxiety and panic without high doses. Xanax XR was relatively new at that time but was very helpful in controlling my condition with the help of smaller doses of Xanax IR. That's when my life came into focus. I've found that this medication was not well understood thus avoided with many physicians. This medication is much less intoxicating with far superior results.”

sleepylapcat · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 11, 2020

“I've been on 1 mg Xanax XR for a little while now, maybe around 9 months. It has GREATLY reduced my amount of anxiety and panic attacks. I take it before bedtime. I used to have panic attacks multiple times a day and until I eventually passed out into sleep. I haven't had issues with tolerance but it did take my body a while to adjust to a benzodiazepine since this was my first time. Lots of sleepy weeks! But after that I didn't have any complaints. I can still have attacks but that's just life sometimes. Medication isn't a cure-all. I don't personally feel like this drug has an addictive quality for me, but I intend to keep using it for its prescribed purposes.”

rholland321 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 26, 2020

“These Xanax XR time release tablets are extraordinary at controlling panic and anxiety without feeling intoxicated. The best I have tried, resolved issues I had with Xanax IR (immediate release) and valium ! Also helps me sleep great. No side affects I have noticed.”

Azsux2020 · Taken for less than 1 month September 21, 2020

“I was just recently prescribed Xanax XR 1 mg 2 x a day. I had been on Clonazepam 1 mg. 4x day for at least ten yrs. But I've been on the drug itself for about 20. The past year or so it's just stopped working and I'm pretty sure it's because of the whole tolerance thing. I'm really not sure about the Xanax XR. I've taken Xanax before but this is definitely different. I don't think it's good for immediate panic relief and my anxiety is still bad. I'm not at in any major discomfort but I feel very depressed. I'm not liking the Xanax XR I'm not sure what it is. It's definitely different. I think it's made me more tired and fatigued. Like I don't want to do anything. I'm going to ask my Dr to just go back on my Clonopin. I'm really trying to taper off the benzos.”

Chris · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 5, 2020

“Xanax regular kind worded so well for me and my panic disorder. Now my dr put me on the Xanax ER and it does not work at all. I don't know why the dr changed me from regular Xanax when it was working so well.”

desert1 May 26, 2020

“Started Xanax XR 1mg about 10 years ago. I took it on and off for GAD. Then increased to 1mg plus 0.5mg if needed. Due to extended release my Dr kept telling me that it is not an addictive drug. Rubbish. Also tapering off is a problem because you can only do 0.5 mg at a time. So now after cancer and death in the family I had to stay on it for anxiety. New doctor (Psych) after 10 plus years. First word out of his mouth: I don't like prescribing Xanax XR that much. Great. Plus appointment are with telemedicine which stinks. The drug works but definitely dependence and tolerance. Any feedback would be nice”

Better · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 3, 2020

“Been on so many med Paxil buspirone Zoloft ‘ lexapro welbroten and five others with such bad side affects. Was taking Xanax er 0.5 in the morning then another in the afternoon still a little anxiety with no side effects. I called the new doctor being I moved to and she don’t want me on Xanax. I am not a Guinea pig ! So if I have to will travel to see my old doctor if I have to”

kyle637 · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 7, 2019

“I use alprazolam ER. Have been on some form of benzo for panic issues 20-30 years. Xanax worked best. Problem was with it's relief time, # of hours it would work before needing to take another. I think the main issue was with my system's ability to notice the absence of fear because the medication would give me comfort by inebriation, feeling intoxicated. Which is fine for some people, but my system began needing more. Stopping would magnify my fear, bring on withdrawal, make life beyond miserable. I was given Xanax ER and my fear almost disappeared without intoxicating me; wish I could describe it more precise. All I know is I do not feel like my fear is being replaced by 2-3 pints of lager. It is gone almost always without having to increase medication. Pretty amazing for someone who has medication issues.”

DEEDEE September 28, 2019

“I was on 0.5 mg (1/2 mg) 2x daily of regular Xanax for 15 years for panic attacks & anxiety disorder. It worked wonderfully and I had a very good quality of life with it. Suddenly last month, my psychiatrist of 20 years decided he no longer likes to prescribe regular xanax anymore. Well I had a very bad anxiety relapse when he prescribed me Xanax Extended Release 1 mg one time per day instead. It was horrible!! It felt like I didn't even take my xanax and I had waves of normalcy mixed with horrendous rolling anxiety & intermittent panic attacks daily, & nightly. What I didn't know was that it was only giving me .25 mg at a time 4 times per day. Well I was used to the 1/2 of a mg 2 times per day which was much stronger. People with anxiety or panic disorder notice every subtle detail and bodily change, so I started panicking when I felt like they weren't working. My anticipatory anxiety shot through the roof and I felt panicked for the past month. It has been a roller coaster ride!”

Mike · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 15, 2019

“I absolutely love this generic alternative to regular Xanax because I can attest to previously having urges and cravings to take more when I was on regular than I ever do for Xanax XR. SOO thankful for this drug, one of those XR formulations actually turned out to be useful in deterring abuse and misuse. I would recommend this 10x overs than any other benzodiazepines currently available on the market for anxiety. This drug has changed my life and it doesn't negatively impact it, nor do I find myself running out early. I actually have more than needed at time my medication was due for refill.”

Handsomeguy · Taken for 10 years or more April 6, 2019

“I took Xanax for over thirty years and it worked great for my anxiety and depression . I had one problem with it I took another med that I should've used and there was extreme side effects. I asked for Xanax IR and the Dr. wouldn't prescript it, but after trying different meds failed, I was put on the XR and I am doing well after two months. I was just filled another Rx for XR and I am glad it works for about eight to twelve hours. I take two 3mg twice a day and I wouldn't switch for any other med on the market. As another person posted I forget to take the second dose.”

sf100 · Taken for 10 years or more March 25, 2019

“I have been on Xanax XR (Extended Release) with IR (immediate realeas) as needed for about 15 years. Xanax XR seems like a different drug than IR because I don't notice that I've taken it, but it dramatically reduces the frequency of panic attacks. I started Depakote ER about 3 years ago and cut my daily XR dose from 2mg to 1mg because of sedation (the 2 drugs affect the same receptors). By themselves, XR and Depakote aren't strong enough for my social anxiety, for which I take additional IR and Propranolol. If I take enough IR to manage social stress, it affects my ability to recall basic information until it's out of my system. Still, Xanax XR and IR make it possible to function reasonably well.”

Big Easy · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 6, 2018

“When big pharma came out with XR my life has really changed, I'm no longer anticipating my next dose as a matter of a fact I've have forgotten to take my dose and be fine just waited until the next dose was required. I recommend anyone on regular Xanex to ask their doctor to change them to XR just to see if it's easier and less worrisome about the next dose”

rory224 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 24, 2018

“I’ve been taking Xanax XR for 6 months and it’s changed my life.”

LineLife · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 7, 2018

“I was taking Xanax XR 1mg for Panic Disorder. I was having them so bad and couldn’t do my job, lost my job, lost my family and had to completely start over. The Xanax helped my panic attacks about 93% and I just had to tough out the rest. I took the medication for 2 months with a beta blocker. I had to take a DOT (Department of Transportation) drug urine test so I dropped the medication like a hat. Completely stopped taking it!! Oh my you talking about miserable!!!!! Not only was my anxiety so much worse, I was having constant panic attacks, extreme chest pains, couldn’t breathe, feeling lightheaded and muscles twitching. It was awful. After four days of it, I took a 1mg XR Xanax last night and I feel so much better. It truly helps with Panic Disorder. I take it exactly like the doctor says. No more or no less.”

Jdschmid1189 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 4, 2018

“I think Xanax Xr is helpful for panic disorder and anxiety in general, but it doesn’t last a full 24 hours. It also helps with social anxiety. It is a little pricey without insurance, but if you can find some decent deals out there.”

Collin11 April 7, 2018

““I’m a proud United States Veteran, unfortunately I suffer from several mental illnesses due to service related issues. Panic disorder with agoraphobia being the worse and most debilitating one for me. I have been on almost ever SSRI, SNRI, MAOI, TCA’s, Beta blockers and antipsychotics. With nothing working but benzodiazepines! I have been on Klonopin, Valium, Ativan and Xanax They all work well but Xanax ER out of the Benzo family works best in my opinion. I was recently put on Xanax XR instead of Xanax IR and it works amazing for me! last through out the whole day nice and steady and I’m not even thinking about a next dose. Words cant describe how much it has changed my life in this past month. I take 1mg twice a day!”

Makaela January 23, 2018

“I would not be able to function on a daily basis”

Michael008 July 13, 2017

“I take 0.5mg every morning for almost the past 5 years. I use this in conjunction with Lexapro and Trazodone. After being a long time sufferer of anxiety, which then resulted into depression, I finally sought help. My doc prescribed the Xanax XR and it worked immediately, within days I felt good again. I was told that the Lexapro took about 6 weeks to work, which it did and I feel even felt better. Taking the Lexapro I think has helped me not to increase the dosage of the XR, which has helped me with my maintenance. The Trazodone ensures my full night of sleep. Although I don't like having to take all these meds, my life has improved significantly.”

Gastroparesis Girl · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 20, 2017

“I used to take Klonopin 1 mg once or twice a day as needed, but it would stress me out because I was always trying to figure out if my anxiety was bad enough to need it (I have OCD and general anxiety disorder) so a lot of times I really should have taken it I didn't, which resulted in way more anxiety for me. My psychiatrist changed me to Xanax XR 1 mg to take each morning to help me with that, which worked better, but didn't feel quite strong enough. So after that month, she increased it to Xanax XR 2 mgs each morning instead, and it's been wonderful. I'm much less anxious, and I used to be so anxious constantly that life was just miserable for me.”

happypills8 · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 15, 2017

“I take it at night in order to sleep because of a bad insomnia side effect from a MAOI. But now, if I miss just one night of the med, I wake up with paralyzing anxiety - chest tightness and heart palpitations. This drug does its job most of the time but it creates physical and psychological dependency and an AM hangover. I am looking to wean off of this soon once my new psychiatrist introduces other med changes. I see other users below saying they cut them in half - my psychiatrist said that is dangerous because of the XR properties. That is why the XR pills are not scored. I repeat - regular use of this med creates dependency.”

McFly2020 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 12, 2017

“Switched from xanax 2mg 1/2 to one tab 2x daily (AN for anxiety, PTSD, panic disorder) to Xanax xr 1mg twice daily with .5 xanax once daily AN for panic. The only thing Xanax Xr did was give me waves of relief, along with waves of anxiety also. Went through my xanax script quicker as it helped greatly compared to XR & needed less. Alprazolam is meant for short acting Anxiety relief. XR is marketing scheme, cost 26$ comp. to 0$ for xanax(w/ ins) Clonazepam,or Diazepam is much more suited for longer acting benzos that help with anxiety. Xanax XR makes it more difficult to stop using & get addicted much easier,than safely taking your regular xanax, as can break em apart, if you feel you need less one day, one week, you can wean yourself easier”

Learn more about Panic Disorder