User Reviews for Clonazepam

Also known as: Klonopin

Clonazepam has an average rating of 8.2 out of 10 from a total of 1,799 ratings on Drugs.com. 78% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 12% reported a negative effect.

Anxiety  Off-label
Chronic Myofascial Pain  Off-label
Summary of Clonazepam reviews 8.2 1,799 reviews

Reviews for Clonazepam

Irene · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 4, 2020

For Insomnia: “I’ve been on 2mg of Clonazepam for 3 years every night for insomnia. About 6 months ago, I suddenly was no longer able to fall asleep. My dr. agreed that the benzo was no longer even working. He suggested I take 5 mg of liquid melatonin, and increase it by 5 mg every other night until I fell asleep easily. At 15 mg, I fell asleep easily! After taking the melatonin for 6 weeks, he had me cut my clonazepam pill 25%. Still fell asleep great. At 10 days, he had me cut it 50%!! Still, I fell asleep easily, and stayed asleep all night! I stayed at the 50% cut for 3 weeks, and then cut it down 75%! After 2 more weeks, I stopped taking it completely. I’ve had ZERO symptoms & sleep great. I still take the 15mg melatonin every night and that’s all. I know this is not a forum for discontinuation, but I wanted to share in case it could help someone else. I suffered for 10 years with horrible, horrible insomnia.”

Soldier August 26, 2020

Klonopin (clonazepam) for Panic Disorder: “Having been through two combat tours in the Army, psychologically I was not in great shape every vet is different, for me I was basically crippled by GAD and sometimes over 15 panic attacks a day, one rolling over into another. SSRIs (and I tried them all) helped but not enough to get me on an even keel so as to function in the world. I was 24 when my psychiatrist put me on Klonopin. 9 years later I have a wonderful wife, a beautiful son, and a career that brings me great pride. NONE of this would have been possible without the help I received from taking Klonopin. There’s a lot of bias against benzos and it is very true that they can be abused. But for people that truly need them, it’s a disservice to this potential life saver. It helped me take my life back. I’m grateful to have Klonopin in my tool box even to this day. Seize the day people, go out there and get busy living. If Klonopin or another benzo can help, then just do it. Life is too short.”

benzotaper · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 24, 2020

For Benzodiazepine Withdrawal: “I'm very aware of the dangers and the suffering of benzo withdrawal--I've gone through it multiple times and I'm only 25. However, I'm going to detail the successful tapering schedule I did using Klonopin. I was taking 2mg for two years and this is how I successfully got off--I did 1.75mg for a week, 1.5mg for a week, 1.25mg for a week, 1mg for a week, .875 mg for a week, .75mg for a week, .625mg for a week, .5mg for a week, .325mg for a week, .25mg for a week, .125mg for a week, and then I jumped off. No, it wasn't easy, but it sure beat rapid withdrawal in a detox center and then going insane for months. I suggest trying what I did and you can prolong the cuts as well (instead of holding for one week, hold for two? three? a month?). Be well everyone and good luck with the fight!”

Just want peace · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 22, 2021

For Anxiety: “I never took an aspirin until 3 years ago when not only did I suffer trauma and the ensuing PTSD at the ripe old age of 60, but I also was diagnosed with an incurable, chronic autoimmune disease. I am now 63 and after having tried multiple SSRI's, which do nothing, I was prescribed clonazapam. I take 1 mg once a day. I was warned about all the side effects....dependency, tolerance, etc and quite frankly, I do not care. If this drug keeps me alive and calms my thoughts, and makes me want to live. My dr is in full agreement with taking this for the rest of my days. Quality of life versus quantity....I have no intention of coming off of it...therefore withdrawal will not be an issue.”

Chris June 11, 2020

Klonopin (clonazepam) for Panic Disorder: “Just because your particular biochemistry had a bad reaction, does not mean a certain drug is bad for everyone. Benzos get a bad rep because of their dependency nature. I will tell you that I have suffered with anxiety, OCD for many years. I have tried other medicines. They have bad side effects. I have tried natural alternatives, although they do work a little bit - it's only a little bit. The upside is they rarely have any side effects. So if you can have a natural supplement work for you, go that route. However I will say that I am someone that does not like to take pharm medicine and if I have the need for Klonopin, I only try to take it every few days or so. But I will tell you, when I do take it, it's absolutely the only thing that has worked. It does not make me feel weird, groggy or zombie-like. It makes me feel back to my normal, natural me, calm content and just overall good! People that advocate against Klonopin are doing a disservice to people that the drug is helpful for.”

skiman0000 · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 24, 2020

For Anxiety: “I get annoyed when I google Klooipin and all I see is scare tactic's of how its so dangerous. It's has been a life saver for me for the last 5 years. I never abused it or ever even got the slightest remote high from it. I take 2MG in the morning and 2 MG after 5PM. It literally saved my career as the level of anxiety that come over me was horrible and the only drug that stop my heart from pounding out of my chest is klonopin.”

Glad · Taken for 10 years or more May 3, 2021

For Benzodiazepine Withdrawal: “I started taking Xanax after I lost my job and then my wife to brain cancer. My psychiatrist recommended Klonopin since it lasts longer. I started to wean myself off by taking smaller doses over a long period of time ( 4-6 weeks lowered each dose)…it’s now weeks with no meds and very little, if any, side effects…I’m 67…if I can do it…you can too!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 14, 2021

For Anxiety: “This medication is not for everyone but the stigma within the medical community is making it difficult for people who desperately need it to get access. This medication is the best thing I have ever used for my anxiety. I have never had any success with antidepressants, (I've tried all classes) they all made me sick and more anxious and some even caused serotonin syndrome (which clonazepam saved me from too) This medication helps me to learn how to grow from my anxiety, to help me sleep better, and most of all works amazing. Taking it is honestly like a built in therapy session because I learn about my toxic actions that are absent when I'm not anxious. I only take it when absolutely needed. I love it so much please be kind to people who use this as their medication monotherapy.”

Chris September 5, 2020

Klonopin (clonazepam) for Panic Disorder: “I work in Health care and obviously the last six months have been very stressful with COVID. I've had crazy body symptoms and crazy thoughts running through my mind. Klonopin has been a huge help in allowing me to work and remain centered and calm. In fact, I'm probably wondering if I should have been on this medicine for the last 30 years. Give it time and the fatigue will go away and the clear, calm mind will come. That's how it worked for me.”

Michelle · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 26, 2020

For Anxiety: “Ive been on numerous medications over the last 20 years. Including xanax. About 15 years ago my doctor put me on klonopin. For the first time I felt better. About 5 years later I switched insurance company's and had my new doctor switch me to xanax. Which worked fine. After that I've had about 4 different psychiatrist and none of them liked xanax so they took me off of them. And put me on other meds that did not work. So I've suffered for the last 4 years. I have PTSD and anxiety. Finally I just got a new psychiatrist and she put me back on klonopin. And I'm so relieved. I feel so much better. Don't let anyone tell you its a bad medication. I never had withdrawals years ago when I quit taking them. They have helped me better than any other medication.”

AT October 14, 2020

Klonopin (clonazepam) for Panic Disorder: “I am a nurse and was so anti- psych based medication until COVID hit. I lost my job due to not being able to work an odd shift. I started having panic, anxiety, and paranoia. I have a huge phobia with medication that it will cause every side effect. I finally was brave enough to try 0.25 mg . This medication has changed my life for the good thus far. At one point I could not drive/ function due to panic and this has made things much easier.”

Yogi19 · Taken for 10 years or more June 9, 2020

Klonopin (clonazepam) for Panic Disorder: “Ok here goes Klonopin is by far the best drug for anxiety period for me. Everyone is different of course and I have never felt the need to take more then necessary in fact I always try and take less. SSRIs did nothing for me in fact they made me more anxious. Any drug if taken too much or abused can cause you serious issues, also keep who your reviewers are me included, most people who have a bad experience will review, good experiences don't even think about doing a review. I think the ratings would be closer to 9.5 if everyone took the time to write a review that was a positive one. As we all know people are more likely to comment when they have negative outcomes and that’s understandable. People who take this medication also tend to have anxiety, panic, GAD like myself and can be very in touch with every perceived symptom within their body. In my opinion way more then the average Joe walking down the street. In other words take these reviews for what they are worth. A single persons opinion and often a person that is suffering to find anything that will make them feel better.”

tabby · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 2, 2020

For Benzodiazepine Withdrawal: “Withdrawing from this drug has been the worst experience of my life. On 0.5mg twice a day for five years, I wasn't told by my doctor that it is addictive and not for long term use. I told the doctor l wanted to stop taking it and he advised me to wean myself off it. After 3 months of reducing it l stopped completely and during the weaning process never experienced any withdrawal symptoms. Within a week they started, dizzy, ringing in my ears, tremors, terrible headaches, nausea, lack of appetite and weight loss. Every time l feel a little better all of the symptoms come back. I am told that this can go on for months. My advice, don't start on this drug.”

Ddr · Taken for 10 years or more January 1, 2020

Klonopin (clonazepam) for Panic Disorder: “Had panic disorders all through high school and did nothing about it til 4th year of college. I've been on 1mg of Klonopin for 24 years and my dose base never increased or decreased. It truly changed my life for the good. Thank you for letting me share.”

Jay November 17, 2020

For Benzodiazepine Withdrawal: “I was on clonazepam for 12 years - .5 twice daily with the larger dose at night to help me sleep. I never increased my dose. It allowed me to have a life, a business and a relationship and be normal again. I am now in late 50's and our country has decided this medication can't be taken long term so I weaned myself off them. It was horrible and I miss the feeling of being relaxed. So far nothing else has worked for my anxiety snd now it is a struggle every day. Clonazepam was a lifesaver for me and although I feel much brighter mentally off it, I struggle so much with physical exhaustion, lack of sleep and other issues. The side effects feel like they were worth it for my quality of life but I am unable to access this medication. As I slide into my 60's I feel like this should not be a time I have to relearn how to be a normal human again... :( I lose 20-30 hours per week of unproductive time, I have high blood pressure, horrible insomnia, pulled muscles in my body from stress....”

finally sleeping January 10, 2020

For Insomnia: “having insomia is so scary I finally got a doctor who was willing to prescribe clonazepam for me, while I know taking klonopin every night is bad but when you can't sleep at all and you fear going to bed klonpin is a God send and I believe having sleep helps your health which we all need. I feel like my self again”

Casey · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 21, 2020

For Anxiety: “On Klonopinfor anxiety and insomnia. Klonopin saved my life. It also improved every relationship I treasure. I've taken it for 8 years and my work has improved, my relationships have improved and I'm more relaxed. Also, my base dose has NOT increased beyond 1.0 mg a day. Often it's just .25mg a day. Personally, I don't have any plan to stop taking it. My wife says I'm better in everyday on it...including the bedroom. So there....:)”

DEAsucks · Taken for 10 years or more December 12, 2019

For Insomnia: “After suffering with insomnia my entire adult life, I've been using Clonazepam for sleep for 12 years. 0.5 to 1mg nightly. Sleep like a baby and wake feeling refreshed and really good. No side effects at all! If you suspect your insomnia is due to anxiety, you must give this a try.”

Renee · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 8, 2020

For Benzodiazepine Withdrawal: “Ok, been awhile since I posted. I’m down from .5 to .125 once daily. I use a prescribed and pharmacy made liquid compound to get very accurate doses. I’m having no withdrawals effects right now. It’s been about 6 weeks at this dose. It’s taken nearly 8 months to get this far. In a couple of weeks, I’ll reduce again. I’ll either alternate days, or go to .0625 daily. Those will be my last doses. I hold the dose until symptoms calm. It’s never perfect. But I know I can get off this horrible drug. I hate the withdrawals and the anxiety after a cut, but I love getting free. We can do it. Go slow, small cuts in doses, steady progress. Do distractions and healthy eating. Remember, your brain can and will heal.”

Bbz · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 25, 2020

For Benzodiazepine Withdrawal: “If I could rate it as a “0” I would.. You shouldn’t be on this drug for more than a couple of weeks.. Clonazepam is a nightmare. I’m a month or so in on the withdrawals and the only thing keeping me alive is my faith in God and my loved ones. It’s hard to eat, it’s hard to sleep, it’s hard to take care of myself. I would never wish this pain on anyone. Please do NOT take this drug for more than a couple of weeks. I know you feel like you should listen to your doctor over some random anon on the internet but PLS listen. If I can warn people so they don’t have to face the same mental anguish and pain I’m in right now I will. This is the hardest thing I’ve been through in my entire life. Be wary of ANY drug that’s a benzo. They’re awful, habit forming and change your judgment and decision making.. Stay away from this drug.. and if your doc keeps pushing you to take it get a new doctor.”

Jsicka November 9, 2020

For Insomnia: “Diagnosed with depression and generalized anxiety 2 years ago. Antidepressant helped with the depression immensely, but the anxiety still tended to come out at night. Heard too many horror stories about Ambien and wanted to avoid benzos for the same reason. Tried hydroxyzine for a month. No results. Trazadone didn't do much and left me feeling hungover in the morning. Finally agreed to a low dose (.25 mg) clonzepam and it worked wonders. Fall asleep fast, stay asleep all night, and don't feel drugged up in the morning. Knowing I have something that works has helped ease the anxiety that came with the fear of being up all night. It's been about 5 months and now I don't need to take it often - I'm due for a refill tomorrow and 3/4 of my script is still there. But on those nights I feel the racing anxiety it's been a nice security blanket to have on hand. I don't feel the urge to abuse this stuff, I don't get any euphoria or high, I just get sleep and the ability to wake up functioning.”

Anonymous July 4, 2021

For Benzodiazepine Withdrawal: “I started on 0.5mg for anxiety & panic attacks. Doctor recommended I take 2-4 times a day. I did that for 2 months then stopped to a few times a week. When I didn't take the medication every 3 days I feel like I was having a panic attack so I would take it thinking it was my anxiety but only to find out it was my body going through withdrawal. I'm trying to get off for good because this has only made me feel worse. Very depressed, stomach issues, bad headaches, arms hand and legs would get tingles and feel like my heart is about to pop from my chest. After doing a bunch of research and speaking with my doctor I was going to taper myself off but since I haven't taken it in 4 days I'm just going to continue to ride this horrible experience out and hope I get better within the weeks to come. If you suffer from anxiety or panic attacks please try something your body won't depend on. Didn't think it could happen to me and it did.”

New Canadian · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 29, 2020

For Benzodiazepine Withdrawal: “6 yrs. ago when my husband died suddenly, my PCP gave me an RX for clonazepam (1 mg) at bedtime to help with my anxiety attacks and as a sleep aid. I had to call her every month for a refill because it is a controlled substance in the U.S. and she warned that I should NOT withdraw quickly. I recently met and married a Canadian man and moved to his country. In becoming established with a new MD I learned that they do not like to Rx clonazepam in here. I had reduced my dose from 1 mg to 1/2 mg and when she asked about my withdrawal symptoms, she felt that I was OK and didn't prescribe more. I suppose that I am OK but my ears are ringing, my skin is burning, I had blazing headaches and severe muscle pain for the first two weeks that I was off of the 1/2 mg dose; I haven't had a good night's sleep since reducing my dose from 1 mg to 1/2 and now to none at all. I am anxious have palpitations and generally feel unwell.”

Kitty · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 12, 2021

For Benzodiazepine Withdrawal: “I've been on .25 to .5 mg of clonazepam three times per day as needed for anxiety for about 4 years. I started out taking 'as needed" but had to take more and more to get the same relief. Six months ago I was fed up. I took 3mg and flushed the rest of my pills. Four days later I ended up in the ER and then a psych hospital for a week where the doctor scolded me for quitting cold turkey. I started tapering .5 mg per week until I got to 1mg per day. I am now at .25 mg once a day for a week and will then go to .125 mg and hopefully be done. My husband has been a saint putting up with me. I've had tremors...jaw shakes...anxiety...depression...mind going into overdrive...depersonalization...seeming like the world is fake...just know it has been horrible. I'm hoping the worst is over. And believe me...when I'm finally clonazepam free I will flush the rest of the pills and never go back.”

Ekaddiction June 14, 2020

For Benzodiazepine Withdrawal: “I've been on Klopin for 14 years. Started at 1mg in the beginning and went up 2mg every night to help with sleeping and anxiety. This drug is the most difficult drug to cut back on. I've come off Vicodion, Opiates, Tramadal, and most recently a long term everyday Cocain addiction. By far Klopin is the is the hardest to withdrawal from. I abused Klopin and was taking up to 3.5mg a night and mix that in with Cocaine addiction and withdrawal. To be honest I'm not sure how I never went to the hospital. Unfortunately I have a high tolerance for pills and managed to run a business and maintain a somewhat normal life. On top of everything I'm bipolar with a major addiction problem. Finally decided that I need and want a life without drugs. To everyone going through this process there is a silver lining and the Klopin fog will get better and in return make you a stronger person. A little discomfort but the result is the greatest feeling in the world not having to rely on a pill.”