User Reviews for Clonazepam

Also known as: Klonopin, Klonopin Wafer

Clonazepam Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 105 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Clonazepam to treat Insomnia

"I originally was taking Latuda and over the counter Somupure for insomnia. It worked great for while and then it stopped. Every 3rd to 4th night I was staying awake all night even though I took the medicine. My doctor just prescribed Clonazepam 0.5 mg 2 a night. I took my first dose a at 9 pm and here it is midnight, I feel a little groggy but not where I can go to sleep. I am starting to give up on finding something to help with my insomnia."

Lin (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2018

"I was on 1 mg for a night for about 10 years. I started to cut the dose as I wanted to quit. The side effects are horrible. Shaky, not grounded my head is all fuzzy. I have been trying to quit for 9 months now. I'm getting there. This pill is very addicting and horrible to quit. Stevie Nicks once said that this pill was tougher to quit than cocaine."

Coca (taken for 10 years or more) March 8, 2018

"The idiot doctor who prescribed this to me for a sleep aid. He told me nothing about the dangers and he had me taking this for three years and eight months. He never said anything about having to taper from this until the end when he refused to renew my prescription because he said I "was no longer his patient." I said I don't have enough pills left for a taper. All he said was that I better find a new doctor soon. That was in December of 2012. By then I was out. I found a doctor who would give it to me for a taper. I tapered for 8.5 months. But it was too late. I got tinnitus in the third month and then two weeks later the derealization began. I have been living in hell since then. That's right...I have been in a complete horror show of derealization now for a little over five years. And it is worse today than ever. That alone is so hard to fathom because all of the days are a horrifying hell. Good luck to all who are suffering with this terror. "

docblade February 23, 2018

"Helps me sleep much better. I have trigeminal nerve pain and resulting anxiety as well. Best all around drug for this multiplicity."

rjfinva (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 17, 2017

"I have been taking 2mg for 2 years. My initial dose was 0.5 mg, but until I took 2mg it would not help me sleep. If I have an extremely stressful afternoon/evening, my doc said I could take 2 tabs (4mg), as long as I don’t take that dose more than twice a month and not on consecutive days. I get between 6 1/2 - 8 hours of great sleep per night and feel very rested and energetic each day. I am a very active, athletic person and feel no hangover effect from it. I just feel like I have my life back after sleeping no more than 3 hours per night for 8 years. I have a friend who has taken it for 8 years with the same results as me. Neither of us take any other medication."

KrMz November 29, 2017

"I had been prescribed 1mg of Xanax before bed for severe insomnia after trying all other sleep meds with side effects, for over 5 years and it worked great. Then I had to get a new PC and they refused to fill Xanax.. Said I needed to go to a psychiatrist for that med. Sooo ridiculous. So, instead he gave me 1mg Klonopin at bedtime. He said it was the same thing just less addictive. I've never had an addiction problem with any meds but he felt "uncomfortable" giving me the rx for Xanax, which again, worked great for me. Now on Klonopin my insomnia is worse. I can't fall asleep until 7-8am and I just lay there wide awake feeling all irritated. I now get 2-3 hours of sleep a night. Which is worse for my health than 1mg of Xanax."

Sun247 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2017

"This stuff works great at first. I took it for both insomnia and mild anxiety, and within 20min I was so relaxed and could fall asleep like nothing. Unfortunately my tolerance built up so quickly; I went from 0.5mg a night to 2mg a night in just 2 months just for it to keep working. And coming off of it is extremely difficult. VERY heightened anxiety and terrible withdrawal symptoms. It took me nearly 2 months to get off it completely."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 13, 2017

".05 mg of clonazepam is not very much at all, and it kicks in slowly. The stuff is pretty harmless. It's a pharmacokinetically safe drug, but it will eliminate 100% inhibition, so if you're prone to violence stay away. It doesn't even compare to Alprazolam."

tokkig (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 11, 2017

"I've been taking 1mg of alprazolam for years. New Dr. gave me .05 of Clonazepam. I am NOT sleeping with Clonazepam. The first dose taken several hours ago. I have severe insomnia. Because I'm 67, Doctor uses that as an excuse to not keep me on alprazolam which actually worked. Tried Melatonin, nothing. I SERIOUSLY need sleep. How long does it take .05 Clonazepam to kick in"

Chapita55 (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2017

"I take klonopin for anxiety induced insomnia. It is really helpful, especially after I have decreased the dose of doxepin that I have been taking. Benadryl wasn't enough for me. Klonopin provides me with really good relief. It's also good at helping mitigate alcohol dependency."

stayinalive (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 28, 2017

"I had been using the TEVA brand for over 20 years. It worked effectively. Then in the last 6 months I have received two batches that did not work at all for insomnia, or Tardive Dyskenisia. I was sleepless for over two weeks. Then I had to visit the doctor. He had to prescribe a different generic Clonazapam, made by "Accord Healthcare." This brand is VERY inferior to the normal TEVA brand. I fall asleep fast but wake up about 4 hours later. So the Accord brand is weaker, and less effective. Many generics are inferior, even they are supposed to be regulated. In Europe I could buy Clonazapam the REAL medicine by Roche for 2.50 per month. Europe is far superiour in regards to health care."

94UZCAUTION August 2, 2017

"I've had insomnia since I was 14, I'm 35 now. My insomnia stems from abuse as a child which led to PTSD. When I was about 23 I was diagnosed as bi-polar. I don't think I've ever really slept like a normal person. I've been on so many different sleep aids. I have had 2 sleep studies, the most recent confirmed that I don't have sleep apnea but that I don't have normal sleep. I started Clonazepam a couple weeks ago after the combination of ativan 2mg and amitriptyline 300 mg stopped working. My doctor started me at 0.5mgs I took it for 2 weeks and it had no effect on me, so she raised it to 1mg and I don't know what I'm supposed to feel but I'm definitely not tired, I'm up till 3 or 4 in the morning. It's honestly one of the most frustrating things."

SleeplessinMD July 19, 2017

"Hi all,thanks 4 sharing My story is I have "parasomnia" (a catch-all for sleep walking /sleep issues they [doctors] "don't understand"). Clonazepam has been great (not perfect) I sleepwalk.Leaving the house...12-22 years old Completely disrupted my circadian rhythm (if you're not familiar with circadian rhythm I recommend you look it up) Basically never had a good night's sleep/Chronically sleep deprived. 23=0.25mg then over 2(?)years upped to 1.0mg because tolerance. 1 Dr said 2.0 was max dosage vs next per case... I held at 1.0 because I expected NEEDING to increase dose over my life. First night was LITERALLY best sleep of my life. Woke up bright eyed and bushy tailed! (gradually declined from there). Mitigated well though not eliminated symptoms. BURYING THE LEAD-2 side effects: -not taking it = not sleeping. -drinking ie 5+ drinks = wetting the bed Living with it."

Urban Observer (taken for 10 years or more) July 18, 2017

"I am 50. I have taken clonazepam 0.5 mg every night for 10 years. It gives me beautiful sleep. I have never needed more. I have been insomniac all my life with mild GAD. It kills the sex drive and so I try just half a tab a couple nights a week. I don't sleep very well with half tab. With all the hype about how bad it is long term, I have tried weaning back, but with poor sleep I become depressed and irritable. My estrogen is high, my testosterone has been low ever since I started taking it. I've always wondered what connection it has with hormones. It is a wonder drug in so many ways for me. Maybe when I am finally done with menopause I will consider weaning off."

pati-o (taken for 10 years or more) July 4, 2017

"It startet a year ago with 0.5mg Clonazepam, now I am on 1.5 mg of Clonazepam, it basically stopped working for my insomnia. I went to see my doc, he prescribed me Temazepam (Restoril) which has a very short half life, half of that of Clonazepam, sure enough it didn't work! I called my doctor and he said he would call in Ativan (Lorazepam) at my pharmacy, I should take 1 mg. Ativan has an even shorter half life than Temazepam, besides the equivalent dosage of 1.5 mg Clonazepam is 3 mg! of course that 1 mg didn't do anything. And on top of that I got withdrawing symptoms from not taking Clonazepam! I called my doctor again, he was agitated and told me to take 30 mg Temazepam together with 1 mg Ativan together with 10 mg Zyprexa!!!! I fired him"

Christian212 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 4, 2017

"I have GAD which causes insomnia. I have taken Klonopin 2 mg at night as a sleep aid, for about 3 years. No problem developing tolerance, which I have had with other Benzos such as Ambien & Lunesta. My doc says he has many patients using Klonopin as a sleep aid for many years with no problems. Daytime I take Zoloft 150 mg and Neurontin 1600mg to control the GAD. I think the long half life Klonopin has helped daytime anxiety. After suffering from under-medicated GAD for 40 years, I now have a drug combo that has essentially cured my anxiety and insomnia. The only negative to Klonopin as a sleep aid is it takes 2 hrs+ to produce sleep. But then, a restful 8 hrs. So just remember to take it early. Say 9:00 if you want to go to sleep at 11:30"

Danny66 June 21, 2017

"Took this for a decade for insomnia. Didn't realize until I tried to taper off that it was causing migraines. Although this drug did not seem like it was causing problems while I was taking it, (I took it exactly as the doctor prescribed) trying to get off has left me completely disabled. I never had panic attacks in my life until trying to get off this medication, and which point I started having them daily for 3 months. Tapering off this medication has left me in extreme physical pain (doctor said it is nervous system damage from being on klonopin almost 10 years). My muscles ache, my skin feels like it is on fire, and my bones feel like they have been plugged into an electrical socket. It has affected my vision and my hearing."

clonazepamSux (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 1, 2017

"I have been taking this medicine since 2001! So, over 15+ years. For two years I took 2mg then 1mg at bed and another 0.5mg if I wake in middle of night, as without it it can take me 4 hours to fall or fall back to sleep. I have severe insomnia and only take at night time. Never during day. I have never built up a tolerance to this. When I go without,... even for 5 months once, zero withdrawals! Zero side effect. However I go back to bad sleep, which I had before. Never been dependent, as you can tell I can go without....for months. I just have not found a medication that puts my mind at ease and "gently" relaxes me so I can surrender to sleep. Doctor now is feeling pressure from industry to reduce my dosage. Zero harm to me. :("

krene (taken for 10 years or more) May 31, 2017

"I take fluvoxamine for overall general OCD 150mg/day at dinner. Mild insomniac my entire life. Recently, it was really bad so in the last month or so I tried trazadone (by a doctor), which had horrible effects on me . For some reason although this has a high success rate for many people, it didn't not work for me. After this, my doctor prescribed me 2mg of clonazepam 90 minutes before bedtime. It works very good, I have a little drowsiness the next day, but overall love the medication. It does take me about 2 hours to kick in instead of 90 minutes."

sleepylate20s (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2017

"I took this as I was not sleeping well with Parkinson's Disease I fell several times and really hurt myself. My balance was much worse."

HeyJude77 April 24, 2017

"Very good in anxiety, panic attack and insomnia!"

DJ Rivo April 15, 2017

"My insomnia started as a teenager. I started out with lunesta. It had no effect. Next came the Ambien which caused me to sleep walk essentially. *one of the most dangerous drugs on the market*. I started contemplating why I couldn't sleep every night and it went along the lines of an anxious curiosity. Thinking to myself I wonder what the molecular structure of that plaster looks like. So I asked to try something more anxiety based and less sleep aid based. I have been taking it periodically when required for the past 10 years with breaks in between. 2 mg will knock me out hard but 1-1.5 mg is a pretty good dose to just relax me. I've never been very dependent, no withdrawals, and I have never built up a tolerance to it."

CiaraLin (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 4, 2017

"I took this medication for anxiety...Particularly because of nighttime anxiety that prevents sleep and then triggers a migraine in the morning. I was on it for 3 months at 1mg nightly. I honestly didn't notice a reduction in anxiety or an increase in sleep. I came off after three months cold turkey after my script ran out. I've had horrible withdrawals from other drugs but not this one! But I have heard stories of it's addiction ruining lives!"

SugarBrookie (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2017

"I tried 1 mg clonazepam, It did work for my insomnia, But I did look up the half life of it which is up to 30-40 hours. Plus the withdraw from it, So I weened myself off of it. Spoke to my doctor about what else is there and I was prescribed 150 mg trazodone. It works Great. If you look up the side effects it will say definitely not to be used for a sleep aid. it is safe to use in smaller milligrams like I use. 150 mg."

CodyBlue March 20, 2017