User Reviews for Clonazepam

Also known as: Klonopin, Klonopin Wafer

Learn more about Clonazepam.

Clonazepam Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 112 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Clonazepam to treat Insomnia

"I've had PTSD induced insomnia since I was 6 years old. I've tried every possible drug there is, ambien, lunesta and the like. Nothing seems to work, and my recurring dream always seems to come right back and wake me up. One time I decided to try klonopin because sleeping on a cycle of 4 days awake 5 hours asleep from 6 years old to 29 will make you try anything. First time I took it, one 2mg pill, I slept for three solid days, I've never experience sleep that deep that I can remember, but it feels like a life saver, my only way to truly sleep after feeling like the reaper was just hanging over my head waiting."

Polymath September 25, 2016

"I have had insomnia for several years, sleeping only 2-3 hours per night. I tried Clonazepam last year for a few months and didn't have much success with it, so I went back to Lunesta, which worked fairly well but left me with a dull headache every day. I decided to try 1mg Clonazepam again after reading that Doxepin helps it to work better - this time I take it along with 3mg of Doxepin Elixir liquid, (which is an antihistamine at low doses of 3-6mg). Now, I fall asleep within 30 minutes and sleep all night! Between 7 and 8 hours. I feel energetic and not groggy at all! I have my life back!!"

Krz September 24, 2016

"Been suffering with insomnia for months! Klonopin is the only therapy thst gets me to sleep & stay asleep! Tried Ambien, Trazadone, nonr of it worked for me"

GA September 24, 2016

"Not worting for me so far. Taking .5 as per doc & still cant sleep"

Morganskit September 7, 2016

"Hi I'm from Philippines. i have a Insomnia for 2 months and my Doctor gave me a Rivotril ( Clonazepam) this is a true blessing for me. because i sleep better. for Now i take this when i need like have a occasion or for travel its Great Help me a LOT. also i try different Sleeping aids. Like Melatonin, Sleepasils. but did't work. Only CLONAZEPAM work Wonderfully! :)"

Markrey September 3, 2016

"I have taken rivotril for 6 months it helps me alot.after 1 and half year I stop using it as I felt I'm already better and I was so happy with the results...after suffering bad turbulence on plane I slowly going back to old situation again...so I decide to go back to my doctor and tell her the whole story and she said my panic and anxiety is back...then I start using again I'm happy with the results because I know it helped me so much.i sleep good every night I run 14 kilometers everyday..I'm glad to my Doctor for prescribing me with this medication"

Sova (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2016

"the one of best drug for severe insomnia, take them and sleep for 12 or 13 hours. But it will be not good sleep and you will not feel fresh in next day. very addictive and build tolerance is very very fast. I don't think it's good choice for mild to moderate insomnia, short act benzodiazepine is better pickup."

DEXi (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 23, 2016

"I was hopeful this medication would help me with insomnia, but have had a mixed experience. At 0.5, I get very sleepy but don't necessarily fall asleep. It does last long which helps with morning anxiety if you take it at night. I do find it helps me to sleep if I pair it with an antihistamine (I use hydroxyzine, under a doctor's prescription, 15 or 20mg). So clonazepam is a decent anti-anxiety medication, but I didn't find it to be very helpful (alone) as a sleep aid."

Jillybean22 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2016

"I didn't think there was anything to help my tinnitus after a head injury. My neurologist prescribed Clonazepam to help the sleep problems caused by tinnitus. I finally get some relief and a better nights sleep without the constant interruptions from the ringing."

Mlmjb1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2016

"I take 1mg every 3 days controls pain from costochondritis"

patrick g May 20, 2016

"I had reall bad insomnia didn't know what to do. I had be laking sleep so bad I was desprate so a friend had clonazapam for sleeping and she gave me one to try and I slept like a baby. It also helps with anxiety I've ben on them for quiet some time now I take two 0.5 mgs evry other night and i find they are not helping any more for sleeping so would it hurt to take another"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 7, 2016

"I am 75 year old and have taken Clonazepam 0.5 mg tablet for about 4 years for restless legs and insomnia. I take 1/2 of the tablet every night, along with vitamin D and magnesium & Aleve for arthritis pain. It has been very effective for me, it lets me sleep with no hangover but I do have vivid dreams every night, not nightmares though.. On occasion I have taken a full tablet but I keep them cut in half and usually only need the 1/2 dose. My new doctor is taking me off of them and putting me on Mirapex for restless legs and melatonin to sleep. Melatonin has never helped before but I will try again."

Grandma Wendy April 23, 2016

"Totally useless drug - had no effect on my insomnia whatsoever."

cianpars (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2016

"I have taken Klonopin for twenty years. Sadly, over the years I became resistant to the lower doses. I am extremely dependent on it and it became "necessary" for the dosage to be steadily increased over the years. I was all of the way up to 5 mg at night. This had disastrous side effects...extreme confussion being the most alarming. It was difficult to start to titrate down slowly. After many months, I was down to 3 mg. and then down to 2.5 mg. It was not easy and there were many restless nights filled with anxiety. Over the last 6 months, I have decreased down to 1.25 mg. I am struggling but determined to get off within the next year. Do NOT let this happen to you!"

70 year old female (taken for 10 years or more) April 18, 2016

"Good experience - no bad side effects."

Proud Maggie April 15, 2016

"I've been taking clonazopam intermittently for 15 mos. It was prescribed to me by a neurologist for insomnia, nocturnal myoclonic jerks, and restless leg attacks. 0.5 mg has worked well with fighting off the nerve attacks and wide awake feeling to fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer than I can on my own. I also used it for longer sleep as needed for a special event such as traveling out of town. Finally I was sent for a sleep study last month and found that I have severe sleep apnea while sleeping on my back and mild on my side. I snore loud off and on but would have no idea other than my spouse telling me. I have fragmented sleep, some of it with vivid dreams. I hope to start c-pap therapy soon and then wean off clonazepam."

Hulda61 March 12, 2016

"One of the effective ones for insomnia...long acting. Actually, I was up 3 nights straight, had to take one 2mg or 2.5...caught up on major sleep. I can't say it's doing a 9pm to 7am. However, it's aiding me in getting sleep. I may need to take it properly. Only downfall, I don't like downers. Also, it doesn't cause hunger but it relaxes me enough to indulge in what I'd normally decline doing. Minor after effect of low energy."

Realitygenerics (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2016

"I have bad insomnia and ADHD. My first time taking it was tonight and I was hoping to fall asleep early (I was already very exhausted) to wake up for my 6 am shift in a few hours however I was filled with energy within an hour after taking it and have been up since I'm very upset! Work today will be horrible and I'm not looking forward to it at all!"

slimy potato (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2016

"This drug actually does wonders for insomnia. I took 1 mg at bedtime. Then the doctor abruptly stopped it and sent me into orbit. I didn't get over 2 hr sleep a night for practically and entire month. It's addictive I think. But what is worse is it may cause Alzheimer's disease if used over 6 months. I still had to go back on it to get sleep. I'm in the process of tapering off and getting sleep therapy. This is a very dangerous drug to only be used under 3 months."

MCSEVA (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 7, 2016

"I have been taking Klonipin, off and on, as need for the past 20 years. I suffer from anxiety, mild depression as a result of anxiety and severe bouts of insomnia from the two. One, I have NEVER experienced any bad withdraws when I don't take it. I usually go through a handful of episodes a year with this issue and Klonipin has always pulled me out of it. Once I'm back to feeling normal, I stop taking (sometimes I wean off, sometimes I don't, just depends). When all is said and done I applaud those who can go through life without any help but there are many of us who do for many reasons, diabetes, high blood pressure, migraines, bi polar, etc. So if there is something out there that can help us live a normal life, then why not."

Nickie Marie January 6, 2016

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Well I have been on this drug since 2009. I do not know I had an issue until I had a seizure after coming out of the shower. I had all kinds of tests, and then went to a sleep lab. There they said I never entered into REM. So I was totally sleep deprived. I was put on .5mg and it did the trick. I had the real dream and restless leg syndrome where my wife was scared of me. I would yell kick and literally act my dream out and I would wake up exhausted. Since 2009 I'm getting roughly 6 hr of sleep a night. It is awesome. Still have some nights, once a month depending on stress. I travel internationally and my sleep schedule is messed up so I'm sure it doesn't help. But it has worked for me thus far."

RealDream (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 4, 2016

"Don't start this drug for sleep or anxiety!! It's the most addicting drug on the face of this earth. It's more addicting than heroin. I was given this drug and OMG it made everything so much better. Sleep, no anxiety then WHAM it quit working. I had to up the dose from .5 mg to 2 mg then when 2 mg was no longer working my psyche Rx me seraquel bc I couldn't sleep. BIG mistake now I'm dependent on yet another drug that quit working last year ( after 10 years) now I'm on disability for IBS, IC and pelvic floor dysfunction bc I took these drugs. Oh did I add I had to be put on another drug to help sleep so I'm polydrugged. What I'd do to have my life back. Don't ruin your life. Klonopin is poison! "

Sandi1954 January 4, 2016

"I have spent years not getting proper sleep. I went to visit the hospital and the Doctor Stuck me on Clonazepam when I told him about my sleeping issues. Since I have taken it I have been able to sleep good. Still a bit early to tell but so far I give it a 7 out of 10."

No-Sleep-Cadance (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2015

"I started with a low 0.5 - 1 mg dose and would take it as needed for insomnia/anxiety. I hated the thought of being dependent so I fought taking it consistently. I also started taking higher doses. All of that caused me to to have bad days and good days... but not worth the dependency. Eventually I quit cold turkey. It took 10 awful days to get off it but then I was ok. The problem was I wasn't sleeping again. The insomnia was making my life miserable. I revisited klonopin and decided to take the same small dosage every single night of .25 per night and the results have been amazing The dose is so small that I have no negative side effects and I have been sleeping great for 6 months now. I'm probably dependent now but it's worth the sleep"

Rob2 December 6, 2015

"Worked great for sleep during menopause. Started to get boils and I had never had them before in my life. They were awful. Had a staph infection. My immune system was compromised. As I weaned myself off my feet ached constantly. After 6 months off no more boils but feet still ache occasionally."

Anonymous November 15, 2015