User Reviews for Clonazepam

Also known as: Klonopin, Klonopin Wafer

Learn more about Clonazepam.

Clonazepam Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 109 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Clonazepam to treat Insomnia

"I've had insomnia since I was 14, I'm 35 now. My insomnia stems from abuse as a child which led to PTSD. When I was about 23 I was diagnosed as bi-polar. I don't think I've ever really slept like a normal person. I've been on so many different sleep aids. I have had 2 sleep studies, the most recent confirmed that I don't have sleep apnea but that I don't have normal sleep. I started Clonazepam a couple weeks ago after the combination of ativan 2mg and amitriptyline 300 mg stopped working. My doctor started me at 0.5mgs I took it for 2 weeks and it had no effect on me, so she raised it to 1mg and I don't know what I'm supposed to feel but I'm definitely not tired, I'm up till 3 or 4 in the morning. It's honestly one of the most frustrating things."

SleeplessinMD July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 50. I have taken clonazepam 0.5 mg every night for 10 years. It gives me beautiful sleep. I have never needed more. I have been insomniac all my life with mild GAD. It kills the sex drive and so I try just half a tab a couple nights a week. I don't sleep very well with half tab. With all the hype about how bad it is long term, I have tried weaning back, but with poor sleep I become depressed and irritable. My estrogen is high, my testosterone has been low ever since I started taking it. I've always wondered what connection it has with hormones. It is a wonder drug in so many ways for me. Maybe when I am finally done with menopause I will consider weaning off."

pati-o (taken for 10 years or more) July 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It startet a year ago with 0.5mg Clonazepam, now I am on 1.5 mg of Clonazepam, it basically stopped working for my insomnia. I went to see my doc, he prescribed me Temazepam (Restoril) which has a very short half life, half of that of Clonazepam, sure enough it didn't work! I called my doctor and he said he would call in Ativan (Lorazepam) at my pharmacy, I should take 1 mg. Ativan has an even shorter half life than Temazepam, besides the equivalent dosage of 1.5 mg Clonazepam is 3 mg! of course that 1 mg didn't do anything. And on top of that I got withdrawing symptoms from not taking Clonazepam! I called my doctor again, he was agitated and told me to take 30 mg Temazepam together with 1 mg Ativan together with 10 mg Zyprexa!!!! I fired him"

Christian212 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have GAD which causes insomnia. I have taken Klonopin 2 mg at night as a sleep aid, for about 3 years. No problem developing tolerance, which I have had with other Benzos such as Ambien & Lunesta. My doc says he has many patients using Klonopin as a sleep aid for many years with no problems. Daytime I take Zoloft 150 mg and Neurontin 1600mg to control the GAD. I think the long half life Klonopin has helped daytime anxiety. After suffering from under-medicated GAD for 40 years, I now have a drug combo that has essentially cured my anxiety and insomnia. The only negative to Klonopin as a sleep aid is it takes 2 hrs+ to produce sleep. But then, a restful 8 hrs. So just remember to take it early. Say 9:00 if you want to go to sleep at 11:30"

Danny66 June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took this for a decade for insomnia. Didn't realize until I tried to taper off that it was causing migraines. Although this drug did not seem like it was causing problems while I was taking it, (I took it exactly as the doctor prescribed) trying to get off has left me completely disabled. I never had panic attacks in my life until trying to get off this medication, and which point I started having them daily for 3 months. Tapering off this medication has left me in extreme physical pain (doctor said it is nervous system damage from being on klonopin almost 10 years). My muscles ache, my skin feels like it is on fire, and my bones feel like they have been plugged into an electrical socket. It has affected my vision and my hearing."

clonazepamSux (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking this medicine since 2001! So, over 15+ years. For two years I took 2mg then 1mg at bed and another 0.5mg if I wake in middle of night, as without it it can take me 4 hours to fall or fall back to sleep. I have severe insomnia and only take at night time. Never during day. I have never built up a tolerance to this. When I go without,... even for 5 months once, zero withdrawals! Zero side effect. However I go back to bad sleep, which I had before. Never been dependent, as you can tell I can go without....for months. I just have not found a medication that puts my mind at ease and "gently" relaxes me so I can surrender to sleep. Doctor now is feeling pressure from industry to reduce my dosage. Zero harm to me. :("

krene (taken for 10 years or more) May 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take fluvoxamine for overall general OCD 150mg/day at dinner. Mild insomniac my entire life. Recently, it was really bad so in the last month or so I tried trazadone (by a doctor), which had horrible effects on me . For some reason although this has a high success rate for many people, it didn't not work for me. After this, my doctor prescribed me 2mg of clonazepam 90 minutes before bedtime. It works very good, I have a little drowsiness the next day, but overall love the medication. It does take me about 2 hours to kick in instead of 90 minutes."

sleepylate20s (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this as I was not sleeping well with Parkinson's Disease I fell several times and really hurt myself. My balance was much worse."

HeyJude77 April 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Very good in anxiety, panic attack and insomnia!"

DJ Rivo April 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My insomnia started as a teenager. I started out with lunesta. It had no effect. Next came the Ambien which caused me to sleep walk essentially. *one of the most dangerous drugs on the market*. I started contemplating why I couldn't sleep every night and it went along the lines of an anxious curiosity. Thinking to myself I wonder what the molecular structure of that plaster looks like. So I asked to try something more anxiety based and less sleep aid based. I have been taking it periodically when required for the past 10 years with breaks in between. 2 mg will knock me out hard but 1-1.5 mg is a pretty good dose to just relax me. I've never been very dependent, no withdrawals, and I have never built up a tolerance to it."

CiaraLin (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this medication for anxiety...Particularly because of nighttime anxiety that prevents sleep and then triggers a migraine in the morning. I was on it for 3 months at 1mg nightly. I honestly didn't notice a reduction in anxiety or an increase in sleep. I came off after three months cold turkey after my script ran out. I've had horrible withdrawals from other drugs but not this one! But I have heard stories of it's addiction ruining lives!"

SugarBrookie (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I tried 1 mg clonazepam, It did work for my insomnia, But I did look up the half life of it which is up to 30-40 hours. Plus the withdraw from it, So I weened myself off of it. Spoke to my doctor about what else is there and I was prescribed 150 mg trazodone. It works Great. If you look up the side effects it will say definitely not to be used for a sleep aid. it is safe to use in smaller milligrams like I use. 150 mg."

CodyBlue March 20, 2017

"Good night sleep"

Minkys March 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took one 2mg clonazepam at bedtime for about 7 months. It definitely helped me get to sleep, but because of its long half life it left me drowsy even after a good 8 hours sleep. Going to start slowly weening off after I talk to my Doctor next week."

Nick in Jersey (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have to say I was prescribed 0.5mg of Klonopin for sleep. I've tried other medications, Ambien, Lunesta etc.. with not too much success. The Klonopin worked wonders but after about a month on the medication, I felt very weird I started to have hallucinogenic dreams... with bouts of gloom and doom during my waking hours. It got to a point that I got moderately depressed thinking such negative thoughts and decided to stop taking the medication. Wow, I never thought withdrawal would happen to me.. but it certainly did. Sweating, nervous, agitated..... It took about 5 weeks off of the Klonopin for the withdrawal symptoms to cease. Please be careful folks.. it's one of most additive medications out there."

ok guy January 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Klonopin completely destroyed my life. I was physically dependent after just 30 days. It took me 1.5 years to taper off the drug and I was disabled by the withdrawals. At 15 months off I still have symptoms. Google benzo withdrawal before you EVER take a benzo daily. My biggest regret in life is seeing a psychiatrist and taking Klonopin."

Blue skies January 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lamictal has controlled my bipolar type 2 which manifests as depression & hypomania. I never have full blown mania. My GYN Dr prescribed hormone replacement treatment to treat my mood swings. It completely inactivated my Lamictal so it was as if I went off it cold turkey. It was the most horrible experience of my life! My HR increased to 130, my BP to 160/98, my thoughts raced & then I couldn't focus or make sense & made serious mistakes. I didn't sleep >15 hours in 5 days and no sleep the last 48 hrs. Klonopin saved me when 4 meds failed. Just don't ever drive!! I plan on using Uber!! Hope this helps someone! As w/all meds will need to adjust & figure out how to taper off. I have an amazing Pdoc though & I have strong faith. "

Anonymous December 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had severe insomnia since being diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 1999. I will be awake all night without meds. Ambien was the worst as far as side effects--should be off the market. I now take 2 mg of Clonazepan and 10 mg of Doxepin. Still takes me hours to fall asleep, but at least I do. Best I've taken so far. Only side effect for me is that I don't feel low blood sugars until the 40's (I'm diabetic). So I check my BS often. Have not slept through a night since 1998. Hoping to increase dosage next doctor visit."

Desperate for sleep (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking clonazepam 5 mg to 10mg tablets as needed for anxiety and nerve pain for 4 years now, and also have ADD. As of lately I've noticed that about an hour after taking clonazepam I felt restless and tense, almost jittery and my muscles tightened up and I was wide awake so I basically got 2 hours of sleep at night. I would say that after long term use, even if it is as needed, clonazepam definitely causes affects of insomnia and muscle stiffness."

34 year old female (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi all! Over 15 years I am on Clonazepam. CVS doesnt give Klonopin they substitute it with generic Clonazepam. Is there any difference between Klonopin and Clonazepam? I beg all to help me! I want to withdraw from this drug. I am unsuccessful on that. All doctors say that you have to find interesting hobby, be in circle of friends, around family, be more in nature. I have done this all, but it does not work. I have chemical addiction, drink high quality water, but it does not work too. Again, I ask everyone for help!!! Sarah"

Sarah5333 (taken for 10 years or more) December 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had trouble sleeping for at least 10-12 years. My brain doesn't seem to shut down. OTC like Benadryl has no effect on me at all. After many trials, my doctor found than a combination of Clonazepam and Tranzadone work great for me. They two don't make me sleepy at all but instead calm down my brain activity in order to go to sleep. I take them about two hours before going to bed. In addition, I found that the Brand name Qualitest for Clonazepam works better than Teva. I've been using this combination for about three years and they work great."

jMARIEb (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this medication for insomnia and towards the end of my manic episode my brain was gone when I was really logical and smart and insightful during my episode the nurses and resident thought and didn't even think I had a mental illness and thought it was only my personality (I have schizoaffective disorder bipolar type) but by the end of my recovery and after the high doses of clonazepam and only being on it for 2 months I was already doing stupid stuff I wouldn't ever do and even called my cousin my other cousin's name on thanksgiving when I greeted him and I've never been this stupid in my life."

someone114 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Don't know as yet because am just about to go on to it...Sounds really intriging!! i say with abated breath as I'm plum-tuckered colloquial for absolutely pooped.. That means in slang that I am really tired and out of sorts...In other words up the pole...Absolutely all-in.. Good morning am soon going to have a nap on the office floor...10.04a.m GMT Grantham mean time!!!??"

Basil Hare (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I don't understand why there are so many high (8-10) ratings for this drug. After reading so many who experienced negative effects, yet they gave a high rating. My first night taking my 1mg. prescription, I woke up thirsty and spilled water all over myself. Not a big deal. A while later, I rolled out of bed onto a bedside table and bruised myself badly. I had never before fallen out of bed. After the first night, I slept well and continued using it with no noticeable side effects. After using up my 3 months prescription, I was told that I needed to go to my doctor's office for paper prescription. I'm 68 years old, disabled and live 16 miles from my doctor's office. I am now suffering with horrible withdrawal symptoms!"

Spd 1341 November 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine has destroyed my life. Yes it works well and yes I was able to sleep but tolerance build up quickly you need to keep increasing your dose. It might not increase and everyone but it did for me. It also ended up causing a major depression from use which I cannot get out of. I also went through the worst withdrawal trying to get off of this and I am still unable to sleep since using it. I think it affected my brain's chemistry. I literally only sleep 5 to 6 hours a week since quitting. I know the Temptation could be great to start it because as I said it works for insomnia and anxiety but be warned it is nearly impossible to get out of your life. I'm currently on family medical leave from work trying to get my life back together"

Jml76 November 12, 2016