User Reviews for Clonazepam to treat Insomnia

Also known as: Klonopin

Clonazepam Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 92 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Clonazepam

Nick · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 28, 2020

“clonazepam totally works for sleep and I never felt addicted.”

Kayla · Taken for less than 1 month June 24, 2020

“This drug Klonopin has got to be my least favorite that I have ever tried. I have nocturnal epilepsy which causes nightmares, daytime sleepiness, and anxiety. This drug was prescribed because it is supposed to help all of those. It made me insanely tired when I would take it. I couldn't function afterwards and would fall asleep. The worst part were the dreams. Naturally if we sleep 8 hours it doesn't feel like 8 hours. On Klonopin I felt every single second of the night. It was awful and miserable. In my dream I would walk around a clothing store for hours and FEEL each material. If water dropped on me I would absolutely feel the wetness. Not in a good way. ALSO importantly, I am in college and normally drink quite heavily. If I took Klonopin I would become extremely nauseous and black out after a few sips. If you take this drug, absolutely do not drink while on it.”

Irene · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 4, 2020

“I’ve been on 2mg of Clonazepam for 3 years every night for insomnia. About 6 months ago, I suddenly was no longer able to fall asleep. My dr. agreed that the benzo was no longer even working. He suggested I take 5 mg of liquid melatonin, and increase it by 5 mg every other night until I fell asleep easily. At 15 mg, I fell asleep easily! After taking the melatonin for 6 weeks, he had me cut my clonazepam pill 25%. Still fell asleep great. At 10 days, he had me cut it 50%!! Still, I fell asleep easily, and stayed asleep all night! I stayed at the 50% cut for 3 weeks, and then cut it down 75%! After 2 more weeks, I stopped taking it completely. I’ve had ZERO symptoms & sleep great. I still take the 15mg melatonin every night and that’s all. I know this is not a forum for discontinuation, but I wanted to share in case it could help someone else. I suffered for 10 years with horrible, horrible insomnia.”

MJ · Taken for less than 1 month January 26, 2020

“I have chronic insomnia now for the past 5 years due to a vehicle accident and severe injury to my left wrist and hand. I have been on every sleep medication available and eventually a tolerance builds. Most recent is Quetiapine100 mg increased to 300mg before bed as I have been on it a year and stopped working all together. Saw a new Psychiatrist/Neurologist and he prescribed 0.2 mg of Klonopin with Doxepin. Did not even phase me. Did not sleep at all and up to 7AM the 1st night. Out of sheer exhaustion I took a Quetiapine. Day 3 and the same results. I am not an addictive personality at all. I will call my Dr to advise my lack of reaction to these medicines and see what now he will do. Chronic insomnia is no joke. Sleep is needed for your body to thrive period. Tired of feeling sleep deprived and zombie like.”

22qMom · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 22, 2020

“I have taken clonazepam for years and never realized what great sleep can do for you until I tried to get off my 1 mg. Per night. I had some withdrawal symptoms like muscle jerks. I decided I needed it after having relapses in all three of my autoimmune diseases (Polymyalgia Rhuematica, Inflammation Spondylopathy, and Giant Cell Arteritis). I finally decided lack of sleep was not a good thing for my health. So I went back on 1 mg. I am so glad I did.”

finally sleeping January 10, 2020

“having insomia is so scary I finally got a doctor who was willing to prescribe clonazepam for me, while I know taking klonopin every night is bad but when you can't sleep at all and you fear going to bed klonpin is a God send and I believe having sleep helps your health which we all need. I feel like my self again”

Renee · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 1, 2020

“Have taken clonazepam at dose 0.5mg once daily at night for insomnia caused by anxiety. I’ve been on this 3 times in my life. First was for 9 years, second was 1 month, now about one and half years. I was weaned off first time over 3 months, not a problem. Second time was 6 years later and was easy after only one month. This time is harder than first time. It’s taking months down to 0.125mg after 4 months. The 0.125 has only been a few days. I slept last two nights. I’m taking gabapentin to manage symptoms and can get off GABA much easier than benzodiazepines. I like how clear my head feels, I like the idea of being med free. I never increased my Clonazapam dose, but had breakthrough panic attacks, signals a need for more ( no thanks) or time to taper off. Side effects negative were dependence and breakthrough panic, withdrawal if taper too fast, memory problems sometimes, IBS, and feeling controlled by the meds. Positive has been no panic in general, sleep. But hey, it’s addictive.”

Jay · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 27, 2019

“I have chronic insomnia and no med has ever worked. I take .5 clonazepam daily and it relaxed and removes restlessness just so I can go to sleep on my own nothing more. I have pretty good success on this and normalizing my sleep schedule. Still sometimes wake in the night but go back relatively easy and wake up early. Get 5-7 hours a day which is better that 3-4. I'm a fan”

KonaGirl · Taken for less than 1 month December 22, 2019

“I’m currently on vacation in Hawaii and was prescribed .25 mg Clonazepam for insomnia (since I can never sleep while on vacay), and so far I don’t like this drug at all. It does help me sleep, and if I wake in the middle of the night, I’m able to fall right back to sleep, but it makes me feel sedated and numb for most of the next day, and I really dislike that feeling. Tonight I think I’ll try and cut the pill in half. I really wish I’d asked for Ambien or Valium.”

Debbie December 15, 2019

“I take 1/2 0.05 at 10 pm And it’s nighttime night for at least 5 hours Would like to taper off But sleep is so nice!!”

DEAsucks · Taken for 10 years or more December 12, 2019

“After suffering with insomnia my entire adult life, I've been using Clonazepam for sleep for 12 years. 0.5 to 1mg nightly. Sleep like a baby and wake feeling refreshed and really good. No side effects at all! If you suspect your insomnia is due to anxiety, you must give this a try.”

Soeepy · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 4, 2019

“I have been on Clonazepam for six years and it had always worked for me over the past year my doctor has steadly been increasing by dosage. I am now on 4mg and still can not sleep. I still can't get a good night's sleep l am going for a sleep study soon. My doctor is going to try another benzo hope it helps Thank you”

Roscoe · Taken for 10 years or more November 27, 2019

“Been using clonazepam for over 10 yrs. Started when my son became critically ill. Was having anxiety and insomnia. I take ,25 MG every night and when I am having some anxiety problems I'll take another .25. Been out of town for a few days without the medicine, no side effects other than not sleep as well. Very pleased with the Meds.”

MDR Girl November 19, 2019

“I've been taking this drug clonazepam for years, usually only once a week when I have to transition my schedule from days off to work week (I have to get up for work at 04:15am). I take 1mg, it takes a little while to start working, maybe about 1.5 hours. I like that I have ZERO side effects the next day and keeps my anxiety at bay. If you wake up in the middle of the night, it's easy to fall back asleep. My MD recommended taking a small dose of Xanax with this just to fall asleep (I will sometimes do this). The Klonopin will keep you asleep.”

breeze123 November 10, 2019

“I have been on 1 mg of Klonopin, the Teva generic. I have constant gastrointestinal distress. Is anyone else having GI side effects? If so, what solutions are there? I'm taking 1 mg but it makes me too tired. Since I don't get a full night's sleep on it, I assumed I shouldn't take less. One person says she takes .8 mg. How do you do this? Last night I shaved some of my 1 mg, maybe I got it to .8 - .9 mg. How to do precisely? Teva crumbles. Also, is anyone allergic to the generic? Teva and Accord, at least, have inactive ingredients anhydrous lactose, colloidal silicon dioxide and sodium lauryl sulfate. The Hoffman LaRoche brand doesn't. I suspect I'm allergic to one or more of those. I ordered the Klonopin brand but in 1 mg. Years back I did the brand and it worked like a charm but I don't recall the dose. With the slightly lower dose, I already noticed a slight improvement in GI distress. Looking forward to feedback.”

Leo November 1, 2019

“I take less than 1mg and have a restful sleep and with nearly none next day side effects. I’ve tried other medications and Clonazepam has been the best so far, I prefer it over xanax.”

Rob · Taken for 10 years or more October 7, 2019

“I started taking klonopin in 2003 due to a stressful time in my life that affected my sleep. A Dr. prescribed a 0.5 dose and I've been on it since. Sometimes I split the pill in half. I've discussed my taking it with a neurologist, psychiatrist, and my PCP and no one has a problem with it. The response I get is that the dose is so low it won't do any harm. I'd honestly rather not take it but at age 73 with sleep patterns changing I find klonopin a big help. Early on my Dr. tried other sleep medications but nothing worked. Ambien kept me awake all night long and Trazadone did nothing. I've never experienced any side affects even on nights that I forgot to take it. But I can't help wondering how it is affecting my internal chemistry. I've discussed with my PCP the idea of getting off klonopin and his reply is to be prepared for some sleepless nights. For now I'll continue taking it.”

Tarja preta · Taken for 10 years or more September 14, 2019

“I have insomnia since I had my first psychotic crisis . I take klonopin every night in dose of 0.8mg. On this dose I sleep well without notice during the day any side effect...”

Charlie · Taken for 10 years or more September 2, 2019

“I had dreadful insomnia and restless legs syndrome for years. I couldnt really get any help for the insomnia but once I was diagnosed with RSL (through a sleep clinic) this clonazepam was recommended by the consultant. I started off with 0.5 mg a night and now 14 years on I'm up to 0.75 mg a night so not much of an increase. For me it has worked both for RSL and insomnia. I sleep 'normally' unless I don't take it. I've tried to stop but all symptoms return so I have accepted I will be on this for ever. Small price to pay for sleep. I did experience following day hangover for first few months but only until I got used to it.”

Joe August 19, 2019

“This medication clonazepam has stopped me from drinking, I don't even crave alcohol any longer. I have also been getting lots and lots of sleep.”

Summer · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 7, 2019

“I have anxiety and it had been affecting my sleep for years. I was chronically tired and at times would resort to taking drugs I didn't need like tylenol PM and benadryl which left me feeling groggy the following day. I tried melatonin and suffered nausea, nightmares and body aches. Now I take a single .5 mg of clonazepam before bed and sleep through the night. I have no side effects the following day. Sleep is so important for recovery of the mind and body. My anxiety during the day is less and I'm able to focus. I highly recommend this over trying to self medicate with otc sleep aids.”

Mooseman · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 2, 2019

“Have taken small dose - .5mg - at night to make sleep possible. No side effects. Have PTSD problems. Normal sleep with clonazepam. Have taken for 6 years most nights and a couple times a month for anxiety.”

Gudie · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 23, 2019

“For me I can not go too long without sleep everything goes bad or gets worse. I can't take benzos all the time. I build tolerances, and the side effects are awful. So I try for a balance and use them only 2-3 days a week when I become hypomanic/manic. I find also rest better on the off nights. I know I can always sleep the next day so any anxiety about the fear of not sleeping is eliminated. These also are amazing for akathsia”

icam108 · Taken for less than 1 month June 19, 2019

“I find clonazepam an excellent drug to give me a good night's sleep. But its effectiveness does quickly wear off. ”

bioya1 · Taken for 10 years or more June 8, 2019

“I couldn't sleep or when I woke in the night I couldn't go back to sleep. At one point I relied solely on Klonopin to help me sleep, but it is not designed for that. Plus, eventually you must up the dose to achieve the same results and that is scary. I tried many different meds but none really did well with the anxiety. So my NEW Pdoc put me on the combo of escitalopram (Lexapro) & mirtazapine (Remeron). That really helped me sleep, and it did for 8 years, but now the anxiety is back (generalized, I think). It's always been there but I managed to sleep and that is all that mattered. So now it's back to Klonopin (in addition to the other 2) until I can find an alternative that isn't addictive in quality. I wonder, can we alternate between benzos so that we don't get hooked?”

Learn more about Insomnia

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)