User Reviews for Clonazepam to treat Insomnia

Also known as: Klonopin

Clonazepam has an average rating of 7.3 out of 10 from a total of 163 ratings for the treatment of Insomnia. 67% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 21% reported a negative effect.

Clonazepam Rating Summary

7.3/10 average rating

Compare all 81 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Clonazepam

Irene · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 4, 2020

“I’ve been on 2mg of Clonazepam for 3 years every night for insomnia. About 6 months ago, I suddenly was no longer able to fall asleep. My dr. agreed that the benzo was no longer even working. He suggested I take 5 mg of liquid melatonin, and increase it by 5 mg every other night until I fell asleep easily. At 15 mg, I fell asleep easily! After taking the melatonin for 6 weeks, he had me cut my clonazepam pill 25%. Still fell asleep great. At 10 days, he had me cut it 50%!! Still, I fell asleep easily, and stayed asleep all night! I stayed at the 50% cut for 3 weeks, and then cut it down 75%! After 2 more weeks, I stopped taking it completely. I’ve had ZERO symptoms & sleep great. I still take the 15mg melatonin every night and that’s all. I know this is not a forum for discontinuation, but I wanted to share in case it could help someone else. I suffered for 10 years with horrible, horrible insomnia.”

finally sleeping January 10, 2020

“having insomia is so scary I finally got a doctor who was willing to prescribe clonazepam for me, while I know taking klonopin every night is bad but when you can't sleep at all and you fear going to bed klonpin is a God send and I believe having sleep helps your health which we all need. I feel like my self again”

DEAsucks · Taken for 10 years or more December 12, 2019

“After suffering with insomnia my entire adult life, I've been using Clonazepam for sleep for 12 years. 0.5 to 1mg nightly. Sleep like a baby and wake feeling refreshed and really good. No side effects at all! If you suspect your insomnia is due to anxiety, you must give this a try.”

Jsicka November 9, 2020

“Diagnosed with depression and generalized anxiety 2 years ago. Antidepressant helped with the depression immensely, but the anxiety still tended to come out at night. Heard too many horror stories about Ambien and wanted to avoid benzos for the same reason. Tried hydroxyzine for a month. No results. Trazadone didn't do much and left me feeling hungover in the morning. Finally agreed to a low dose (.25 mg) clonzepam and it worked wonders. Fall asleep fast, stay asleep all night, and don't feel drugged up in the morning. Knowing I have something that works has helped ease the anxiety that came with the fear of being up all night. It's been about 5 months and now I don't need to take it often - I'm due for a refill tomorrow and 3/4 of my script is still there. But on those nights I feel the racing anxiety it's been a nice security blanket to have on hand. I don't feel the urge to abuse this stuff, I don't get any euphoria or high, I just get sleep and the ability to wake up functioning.”

22qMom · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 22, 2020

“I have taken clonazepam for years and never realized what great sleep can do for you until I tried to get off my 1 mg. Per night. I had some withdrawal symptoms like muscle jerks. I decided I needed it after having relapses in all three of my autoimmune diseases (Polymyalgia Rhuematica, Inflammation Spondylopathy, and Giant Cell Arteritis). I finally decided lack of sleep was not a good thing for my health. So I went back on 1 mg. I am so glad I did.”

Sunnyholly September 10, 2014

“I have had chronic insomnia for 15 years. Tried many things...Benadryl pills at bedtime, Roserem and melatonin, all of which worked for a little while, and then stopped. I was prescribed 1 mg of clonazepam an hour before bedtime, and I find it a miracle pill. I take it a few nights a week and I have had wonderful results. Not being able to fall asleep is terrible for ones life. It leaves you irritable, and unable to function the next day. This medication was truly a lifesaver for me!”

Jay · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 27, 2019

“I have chronic insomnia and no med has ever worked. I take .5 clonazepam daily and it relaxed and removes restlessness just so I can go to sleep on my own nothing more. I have pretty good success on this and normalizing my sleep schedule. Still sometimes wake in the night but go back relatively easy and wake up early. Get 5-7 hours a day which is better that 3-4. I'm a fan”

Johnnie2 July 23, 2014

“I was talked into Klonopin by my doctor. I was quite resistant to benzodiazepe medications. I take 2 mg at night before bed. This medication has been a life-saver for me. My doctor asked that on some nights that I go down to 1.5mg in order to keep the medication working well. Have been taking it for three years this way, and it works. Sleep is so important, and I have tried everything. Good medication for insomnia.”

PK · Taken for 10 years or more March 1, 2019

“Been on clonazapam for 15 years. Used to take 0.5mg a night and it helped me sleep but my dr wanted me to get off of it because it was addictive. I went cold turkey (would not recommend) when I was in-between jobs. It was about 12 really long sleepless panic filled days and nights that I had to get through. Once I did I was ok without any lasting effects. I was off of it for a few months when I started having trouble sleeping again due to anxiety and work stress. I tried everything and nothing worked for me... I said blow this and went back to the clonazepam. Better to be dependent on this than no sleep at all. I am very careful about the dose. Usually .25 a night... if I really need it .5. I can’t sleep without it even if I stop for 1 night. I’m 40 years old and will probably take this forever. But I’ve accepted that. For me it doesn’t have negative effects other than the dependency I have on it. But again, at least I’m sleeping and that’s more important to me.”

Outshineyourself · Taken for less than 1 month February 14, 2014

“I'm 25, female, full-time student and full-time worker, living in NYC. I've been fighting insomnia triggered by anxiety my entire life, but it was never an issue until I reached my mid-twenties. When I lay down, I get a series of panic attacks that can keep me awake the entire night. Lately, I've been going three days on ~5 hours of total sleep. I quit my job and my focus for school was diminished. I became scared and a total mess. I need proper sleep to be able to function the next day. I was recently prescribed Clonazepam through my psychiatrist and it is, seriously, a blessing from the universe. I take .5 mg when I start feeling sleepy and, within an hour, I'm in dreamland. I don't have to fight for sleep or get anxious about sleeping.”

Grumpy Smurf · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 19, 2013

“I have struggled with moderate insomnia for years (can't fall asleep, wake up 3 hours later unable to go back to sleep, etc). Although some nights are better than others, it has always been a major influence in my life. Lunesta worked well, allowing me to get about 6.5 to 7 hours, but it costs a FORTUNE. Just started clonazepam about a month ago and WOW! I only take it 3-4 nights a week to avoid dependency and my life is a lot better. As a side note, I do not suffer from anxiety or depression, I just can't turn off my brain EVER.”

Summer · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 7, 2019

“I have anxiety and it had been affecting my sleep for years. I was chronically tired and at times would resort to taking drugs I didn't need like tylenol PM and benadryl which left me feeling groggy the following day. I tried melatonin and suffered nausea, nightmares and body aches. Now I take a single .5 mg of clonazepam before bed and sleep through the night. I have no side effects the following day. Sleep is so important for recovery of the mind and body. My anxiety during the day is less and I'm able to focus. I highly recommend this over trying to self medicate with otc sleep aids.”

max1979 · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 28, 2014

“This is the best pill I've ever taken for sleeping. I've had insomnia for 6 years now. I got prescribed clonazepam, although my doc said it was highly addictive, because nothing else would work. I was desperate (in the time of 12 months before I got on it, I was able to sleep more than 6 hrs maybe 5 nights only), so I decided to give it a try. IT IS A MIRACLE PILL! I can sleep again 8 hrs straight! I don't feel groggy, drowsy or sleepy AT ALL, actually quite the opposite! I have so much energy in the morning, I feel like a superman! I've been taking 0.75mg for two years now 3-4 times a week, and so far did not have to increase the dose! Give it a try, if nothing else helps. And I've tried EVERYTHING.”

Rob · Taken for 10 years or more October 7, 2019

“I started taking klonopin in 2003 due to a stressful time in my life that affected my sleep. A Dr. prescribed a 0.5 dose and I've been on it since. Sometimes I split the pill in half. I've discussed my taking it with a neurologist, psychiatrist, and my PCP and no one has a problem with it. The response I get is that the dose is so low it won't do any harm. I'd honestly rather not take it but at age 73 with sleep patterns changing I find klonopin a big help. Early on my Dr. tried other sleep medications but nothing worked. Ambien kept me awake all night long and Trazadone did nothing. I've never experienced any side affects even on nights that I forgot to take it. But I can't help wondering how it is affecting my internal chemistry. I've discussed with my PCP the idea of getting off klonopin and his reply is to be prepared for some sleepless nights. For now I'll continue taking it.”

Greenbriar January 19, 2014

“I have PTSD and have a lot of difficulty with falling asleep, staying asleep. One symptom is not reaching a deep sleep past REM, and having nightmares through-out the night, continually waking, panicked. I was prescribed a sleep med that made me some what relaxed, or I maybe only slept for four hours, and still having nightmares. This went on for months. I was prescribed Clonazepam and it has been a God-send. Not being able to sleep normally had a terrible affect on my daily life. I take it a few hours before bedtime, and when ready I lay down and sleep soundly, waking the next morning feeling relaxed, rejuvenated. I am able to return to a normal activities without the fatigue.”

Nickie Marie January 6, 2016

“I have been taking Klonipin, off and on, as need for the past 20 years. I suffer from anxiety, mild depression as a result of anxiety and severe bouts of insomnia from the two. One, I have NEVER experienced any bad withdraws when I don't take it. I usually go through a handful of episodes a year with this issue and Klonipin has always pulled me out of it. Once I'm back to feeling normal, I stop taking (sometimes I wean off, sometimes I don't, just depends). When all is said and done I applaud those who can go through life without any help but there are many of us who do for many reasons, diabetes, high blood pressure, migraines, bi polar, etc. So if there is something out there that can help us live a normal life, then why not.”

missmarple · Taken for less than 1 month June 5, 2014

“Just went back on this because of anxiety and insomnia. All my llfe I haven't slept well and have woken up anywhere from tired to absolutely exhausted. This will sound extreme but it has saved my life. I now feel 'normal' as I can cope with my anxiety, have less muscle tension and much, much better sleep so I can function during the day. It's too bad it's so look down on as a medication. It's cheap and very effective but doctors, my experience in Canada, seem to only see it as something to be abused.”

FinallySleeping · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 13, 2013

“I've had insomnia for 10 years; couldn't shut my brain off! My uncle is a doctor & flipped when I told him I hadn't slept in 16 days. He immediately prescribed tricyclic antidepressants & sent me for a sleep study; in only 4 hours of sleep, I woke up 69 times. The antidepressants made me suicidal. Everything else worked for just a few weeks. I started getting depressed, panic attacks, anxiety, quit working, having seizures, became a shut in, cried every single day, then became suicidal. The only thing that stopped me was the thought of my family finding me. I was then prescribed Ambien & it worked well but made me hungover. Amitriptyline worked but gave me bad muscle spasms. Finally, I was put on 2mg Klonopin. I can sleep now!”

MJ · Taken for less than 1 month January 26, 2020

“I have chronic insomnia now for the past 5 years due to a vehicle accident and severe injury to my left wrist and hand. I have been on every sleep medication available and eventually a tolerance builds. Most recent is Quetiapine100 mg increased to 300mg before bed as I have been on it a year and stopped working all together. Saw a new Psychiatrist/Neurologist and he prescribed 0.2 mg of Klonopin with Doxepin. Did not even phase me. Did not sleep at all and up to 7AM the 1st night. Out of sheer exhaustion I took a Quetiapine. Day 3 and the same results. I am not an addictive personality at all. I will call my Dr to advise my lack of reaction to these medicines and see what now he will do. Chronic insomnia is no joke. Sleep is needed for your body to thrive period. Tired of feeling sleep deprived and zombie like.”

Mooseman · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 2, 2019

“Have taken small dose - .5mg - at night to make sleep possible. No side effects. Have PTSD problems. Normal sleep with clonazepam. Have taken for 6 years most nights and a couple times a month for anxiety.”

Charlie · Taken for 10 years or more September 2, 2019

“I had dreadful insomnia and restless legs syndrome for years. I couldnt really get any help for the insomnia but once I was diagnosed with RSL (through a sleep clinic) this clonazepam was recommended by the consultant. I started off with 0.5 mg a night and now 14 years on I'm up to 0.75 mg a night so not much of an increase. For me it has worked both for RSL and insomnia. I sleep 'normally' unless I don't take it. I've tried to stop but all symptoms return so I have accepted I will be on this for ever. Small price to pay for sleep. I did experience following day hangover for first few months but only until I got used to it.”

Renee · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 1, 2020

“Have taken clonazepam at dose 0.5mg once daily at night for insomnia caused by anxiety. I’ve been on this 3 times in my life. First was for 9 years, second was 1 month, now about one and half years. I was weaned off first time over 3 months, not a problem. Second time was 6 years later and was easy after only one month. This time is harder than first time. It’s taking months down to 0.125mg after 4 months. The 0.125 has only been a few days. I slept last two nights. I’m taking gabapentin to manage symptoms and can get off GABA much easier than benzodiazepines. I like how clear my head feels, I like the idea of being med free. I never increased my Clonazapam dose, but had breakthrough panic attacks, signals a need for more ( no thanks) or time to taper off. Side effects negative were dependence and breakthrough panic, withdrawal if taper too fast, memory problems sometimes, IBS, and feeling controlled by the meds. Positive has been no panic in general, sleep. But hey, it’s addictive.”

Mike021 May 16, 2013

“I have suffered from insomnia most of my adult life. Like many here, I was prescribed clonazepam 1-2 mg. at night. I have never increased the dose after years of use. In fact, my doctor recommended that I go down by .5 m.g. as often I felt comfortable to do so in order to reduce the chances of becoming tolerant to the medicine. Works like a charm after many years of use. I wish there was something else, but this has become the best for my insomnia. I tried many other things.”

MsFixMyself May 27, 2009

Klonopin (clonazepam): “I find that this medication works on insomnia when other drugs don't except for a true heavy duty narcotic sleeping pill. It also helps as a very mild tranquilizer for 24 hours so it is spread throughout the day to calm anxiety attacks or the fight or flight affect. It is good even if you have bouts of depression because without sleep your depression worsens. So I give this medicine a 10. I have been using it now for 3 years with no side effect. I am also on an antidepressant as well. But getting more than 3 hours of sleep a night is wonderful especially without flashbacks.”

SAD April 5, 2021

“Was prescribed this by my new doctor who refused to let me continue with the medication I have been taking for 2 years and actually works well for me. Took this at 7:30 PM and am still wide awake at 4:00 AM. Tried to sleep, but wide awake. Time to go back to the old doctor.”

Learn more about Insomnia