User Reviews for Clonazepam

Also known as: Klonopin, Klonopin Wafer

Learn more about Clonazepam.

Clonazepam Rating Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Clonazepam to treat Anxiety

"My boyfriend began taking this drug to lessen his anxiety and alcohol intake. Initially I was very excited to see what it would do for him, unfortunately the results were not too pleasing. Beforehand we enjoyed the little things in life and going on random excursions. Now he has become a complete zombie!! He specifically requested very low doses (.25 mg) and in a short period of time, he has completely altered his state of being. He's tired very often and gets very irritable or annoyed being in public without him. Much less spontaneous and fun filled as before and has caused way more relational issues. Definitely would not recommend this drug unless you're prepared for the crap loads of negative social and interpersonal effects!"

Him #7 August 22, 2016

"My experience using Clonzepam 1-2 mg for anxiety were OK. NO bad side effects but it seemed more suited as a sleeping aid than a anxiety med to help me through the day and remain functioning. Had better anti-anxiety effects from Xanax or Valium. But that's just me."

DanTheMan6669 August 17, 2016

"hi all readers been on clonazepam low dose for 2 months , consultant upped med to 2mg at night to help with sleep &restless syndrome ,started to loose short term memory palpitations at night and falling out of bed for some reason. have reduced med to 1.5 mg but will take it 3 times a day less peaks , seeing consultant sept 2016 and may ask for a change ,also taking Pregbalin 200 mg am & PM 1 year. I hope consultant can resolve Clonazipam as anxiety is reduced and do not worry so much . hope this helps , I think memory problems are common with clonazipam , not sure if this improves over time or gets worse,"

ratty50 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 14, 2016

Klonopin (clonazepam): "I am on a maintenance dose of 1 mg 3 times a day along with a different Xanax .5 if I am having a panic attack. I'm agoraphobic and suffer from anxiety because of multiple reasons. I find klonopin is a amazing medication that helps tremendously. I wouldn't have the life I have today."

AmazingMeg (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 13, 2016

Klonopin (clonazepam): "There are various manufacturer of clonazepam. I always made sure to stay with the same manufacturer. However, a week into taking the pills from my new prescription I started to feel very ill. I still had several pills from my previous refill because I only required 1/2 of the 0.5 mg. It was prescribed for me for chronic neck pain. The manufacturer changed the ingredients and now I have been suffering for months to find a replacement to no avail. It's been working well for years but right now the horrible effects I'm getting I don't think I'd recommended to any one. Please try every option before having to suffer the consequences in the long run."

Margaritar July 31, 2016

"I was put on Klonopin about four years ago. It worked very well until I made a change from 1 mg that was blue to a .5 that was yellow, both by Sandoz. I was trying to make it easier to break in half and lower my dose. After about 4 months I began to notice as soon as I took the .5 yellow tablet, I would break out into a sweat all over my body like I was having an allergic reaction. It was during this time I developed Burning Tongue Syndrome. On the blue 1mg it began to feel like icy hot was put on my legs. I was trying to see if anyone else had these symptoms. I may have gotten a bad batch of Generics but if I have it was on three different refills. Something has changed with this medication."

Klonopin Generic (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 16, 2016

Klonopin (clonazepam): "I am a middle aged man, who has had anxiety my whole life. In addition, I have a very stressful job. About three years ago, my wife convinced me to see a doctor. I had never taken any sort of anti-anxiety medication previously. The doctor prescribed Klonopin, but was very adamant about taking it only as needed. The prescription says 1mg, twice a day. But I only take, on average, two pills a week, when I'm really stressed. As many people here have said, it started out great, then faded with time. Although it definitely helps; it's not pleasant. It's almost as if it makes me so sleepy, I'm too tired to be stressed. Two years ago, I would have given it a 9. I still recommend it. Other than sleepiness, I have no other adverse effects."

bulldog1415 July 10, 2016

"I find that clonzepam works really well for generalized anxiety but if I do have a panic attack, then it doesn't do much. When I first started, I was prescribed .5 2x a day and then 1mg of Xanax as needed for panic (15 a month). This was a great pairing, but the withdrawal was long and awful when a new doctor took me off the drugs cold turkey! Needless to say, I am no longer a patient of hers. I was prescribed .5 2x a day again and it reduces my anxiety without making me less "sharp." Tolerance does build fast and, when I was on a strict schedule, if I missed a dose I was a nervous wreck. I now take it as needed but I may have to increase the dose soon because .5 doesn't work like it used to."

stephlyudmila (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 10, 2016

Klonopin (clonazepam): "A+. Couldn't function without it. Takes away that tense feeling in my brain. I don't have panic attacks, but I deal with a lot of anxiety that brings on severe irritability. Just one 5mg pill in the morning and one when I get home from work, and I'm free from all that. I can live a normal life and not let my anxiety ruin my relationships, work, etc. Lasts longer than xanax and more effective in my opinion,"

IrishHillbilly (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 8, 2016

"This medication helps me kick the habit heroin and calm my hysterics."

Neo.X (taken for 10 years or more) July 7, 2016

Klonopin (clonazepam): "I have 0 panic attacks when I'm on this medication"

12333 July 7, 2016

Klonopin (clonazepam): "I am a 16 year old girl who has suffered with extreme anxiety and severe depression since I was 9. The reason why I was so depressed was mainly because I was mildly depressed so they put me on cymbalta and I suffered from the "black box warning" in which adolescents and teens can experience suicidal thoughts and actions. that really messed me up. I'd have panic attacks where I was convinced I wanted to, and I'd puke and shake and stuff. it still happens but when it does my parents give me 0.25mg (I'm very very lightweight so they don't want a lot in my system) and it seems I work alright. I'd like to take it everyday but my parents are so hesitant to give it to me."

Macyyyy June 29, 2016

"I have general and social anxiety along with paranoia and panic attacks. I am on the max dose of 2mg 3 times per day. I usually switch between this medicine with Xanax to slow tolerance, however this is always an issue. This medicine allows me to do things and be me that I normally wouldn't be able to. However, it does build tolerance fast, causes short-term memory loss, and more aggressive panic attacks if a dose is missed. It is also extremely psychologically and physically addicting and can take your brain over a year to start creating GABA again on its own, which is what this medications primary role replaces."

Foxtrotz (taken for 10 years or more) June 24, 2016

"I am trying to get off benzoids after taking clonazepam for over 36 years. I am having extreme difficulties. (extreme to the point of life-threatening) I am using a shorter (effective) half life than the 30 to 40 hours for clonazepam. I'm over the DTs but life is now truly hell. . Frankly, I'm going through a quasi-living hell. My desire to stop clonazepam stems from a desire to cut down the 'zombie' feeling all day,and sleeping the clock around. It's been 20 days now and I'm not really sure I'm going to make it. I would advise any one thing if clonazepam (or any other benzoid) is considered: DON'T EVEN START! You'll regret it. It has destroyed my life."

Darthvagrant (taken for 10 years or more) June 22, 2016

"Thanks to benzos I've able to function properly even in the most chaotic days. Of course it is not supposed to be used as treatment and I don't! But there are days when the ssri's and the physical exercises aren't enough to contain my anxiety, then I appeal to Clonazepam. Thanks to it, I no longer experience huge gaps in my routine due to anxiety attacks associated with agorophobia. I never really felt any side effects or emotionally sedated (as have happened with other drugs). Also, since I've been going well through conditions once I avoided, my behavoir is changing and I'm needing everytime less help from the medication. The last 30 pills package lasted 8 months"

Adrian123 June 20, 2016

Klonopin (clonazepam): "This is the drug that was a total game changer for me. I was on effexor and abilify because of severe depression and suicidal ideation (at only 19 :(). While the abilify and effexor helped with the depression, I was extremely anxious, jumpy, panicky, and unable to sleep at all. Klonopin changed all that. I am now able to do anything with no anxiety, no intrusive thoughts, and am visibly much less tense and more relaxed than I have ever been. I can go to work, take public transport, and interact with customers with absolutely NO anxiety anymore. If you sound like me, I highly suggest at least giving this medication a try. It saved my life."

rmahon (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2016

"Clonazepam. 1mg in am. 1 mg at bedtime. Helps with myoclonus symptoms and sleep at night. Side effect is severe aggravation. Along with this I take Venlafaxin for Double Depression. Neither does anything for anxiety. Think the Clonazepam needs to go away in the daytime and perhaps a trileptic for anxiety. Not crazy about Benzos."

dibbits (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 18, 2016

Klonopin (clonazepam): "Yes, this medication works. It works very well for chronic anxiety disorder and sudden onsets of severe panic attacks. Knowing what I know now, I wish with all my being it had never ever been prescribed to me, and without the absurd nonchalance dozens of practitioners have portrayed. I'm 32 and have been prescribed clonazopam for 14 years. Ive been in situations where my health insurance is in transition and I must go off the medication abruptly-- this is when I realized how deep I was. Weeks upon weeks of non stop physical, emotional, and psychological withdrawal effects that are like hell. Words cannot accurately describe just how awful it is. This, again, has been my experience during withdrawal as a long term clonazopam patient. All skin, especially the face, becomes numb. Vision gets fuzzy and difficult to see clearly. Panic attacks become extremely exasperated, frequent and debilitating. Severe irritability. Worst of all: a terrifying disconnection between your mind and body; as if you're an onlooker watching and feeling this horrible thing happen to you, but not actually feeling connected to any of it-- that one is tough to explain. All of this... It can lasts months, maybe more. That's right. Not just some one week hump to overcome. After finding how awful the withdrawal is I've been attempting to ween very very slowly down from 3 2mg doses per day to eventually zero, hopefully. After six months of gradually decreases in dose I'm now at 2- 1mg doses per day and I'm not sure how or if I can go much less than that. No doctors I've had have been of any help. The ween down was my idea and the rate of it was also my idea based on experience. It sure would be nice to meet a doctor that truly had knowledge of this withdrawal syndrome and took it a bit more seriously. I am confident that the medication is no longer treating my anxiety disorder, but simply preventing withdrawal from the meds themselves. And there don't seem to be any good alternatives. It's a long road ahead, please think it over and over with someone knowledgeable before being so quick to embrace this miracle drug. The truth is that most of us actually need very real psychotherapy, not chemicals that run our lives. Once again, all my point of view from my personal experience. It feels very good to share this."

Anne Regret (taken for 10 years or more) June 11, 2016

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Klonopin (clonazepam): "Taken( 2) 1mg, 3 times a day and (3)1 mg at bed time. No issues still helping after two plus years."

John T. June 7, 2016

"At the age of 58 I was revictimized (psychologically) by a male RN co-worker. I had had absolutely no idea that I could have been severely sexually abused as a child and that the perpetrator had to have been my own father. The revictimization caused me great PTSD so I sought a therapist for help with that, and it was she who told me that I absolutely must have been abused by him because it could not have been anyone else. Clonazepam works great for me and I have no side effects. I've been on 2 mg. 3X/day for many years due to the horrible therapy I must endure. Often I feel that I'm not getting enough but my psychiatrist said that I am at the absolute maximum and that it would be dangerous to take more. I follow his advice."

Christie (alias) (taken for 10 years or more) June 6, 2016

Klonopin (clonazepam): "last 15 tears of taking Klonopin have been a total improvement of my quality of life. and an improvement in anxiety to the point where I am like the friendliest guy in town so to speak. where as before taking Klonopin I had severe social phobia . as a result the stress was definetly related to making me get cancer at 40 years of age. it works. buspar and all the other more popular anti anxiety meds did not work and I don't want to stop taking Klonopin. William P."

fireplug (taken for 10 years or more) June 4, 2016

Klonopin (clonazepam): "21 y/o female, work in the medical field, severe anxiety for about 5 years now, always been hesitant about taking meds for fear of medication dependency. In the past year, my anxiety has gotten to the point where I am isolated & developing depression. I finally broke down and was prescribed Klonopin 0.5mg daily as needed. It takes the edge off and gives me a genuine good feeling while allowing me to keep a CLEAR head and keep my patients safe. I was marijuana dependent as a teen b/c it improved my moods the same way, so I see the potential for dependency here. I am seeing a therapist and intend on using this until I learn other ways to cope. It does help you to think positively so you can begin your recovery. Great short term drug."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 3, 2016

"I have suffered with anxiety dies order, PTSD, and OCD for as long as I can remember so my psychiatrist put me on Clonazepam. After taking it for 2 months I noticed I was angry all the time, I had no patience and had irritable and hostile thoughts. It never really helped curb the OCD or the intrusive thoughts/worries. I immediately stopped taking it and was switched to Luvox which has worked wonders for my anxiety and OCD. Would never go back to this medication."

CT Anxiety (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2016

"(TEXT LIMIT) 36, suffered since childhood. Anxiety, Depression, and panic attacks. Believing I have heart problems, heart pounding that my mind is creating, hatred, anger, anger, anger, and lack of ever really just feeling good. And by good, I don't mean parties and hooking up two people to date. I mean just taking in life and acknowledging nature for those very brief beautiful moments I only have vague memories of doing. This drug helped me, and I wish I could stay on it, but I can't. It built tolerance, affected my memory, and started degrading my cognitive functions. Outside of that, the search was finally over when I got on it, but now it's back to hell because I can't stay. Everyone is different, don't increase the dose."

Karl H. (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 17, 2016

"Best benzodiazepine out there for extreme anxiety,panic attacks and social anxiety."

akmll555 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 16, 2016