User Reviews for Clonazepam to treat Restless Legs Syndrome

Also known as: Klonopin

Clonazepam has an average rating of 8.2 out of 10 from a total of 72 ratings for the treatment of Restless Legs Syndrome. 75% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 10% reported a negative effect.

Clonazepam Rating Summary

8.2/10 average rating

Compare all 28 medications used in the treatment of Restless Legs Syndrome.

Reviews for Clonazepam

What a Relief!! · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 1, 2013

“Have had increasingly severe restless legs syndrome for 45 years. Finally started using Requip about 12 years ago, and got relief from RLS at night, but had to be doing something physical or at least on my feet all day to keep it under control. Got up to 3mg at bedtime, but that was causing horrible nasal decongestion every morning. My doc suggested clonazepam, and the effect was absolutely amazing! Wonderful, solid sleep every night. But, even better, the RLS disappeared during the day, as well. Daytime movies, meetings, and travel all now possible for the first time in decades! Need only 0.2 mg each evening, and no adverse side effects or tolerance increase after more than a year. This truly changed my life.”

NICL · Taken for 10 years or more February 11, 2014

“I have both restless legs syndrome and insomnia. I have taken Clonazepam for 10 years. Started at 0.5mg, 1mg then 2mg. Decided to stop all medication a year ago and I have not slept worth a darn as well, as my restless legs syndrome has been horrible. Finally broke down last night and took a Clonazepam. Had no RLS and I did sleep, waking up only a few times. I was a little groggy this morning but certainly can deal with that. In past years I have tried many other medications with horrible results. Clonazepam has been a very positive experience for me.”

Just me · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 21, 2020

“I have had RLS since I was a little kid. It runs in my family. As I got older it got worse, I went years without sleeping. I even chose a career where I was on my feet and not sitting, and night shift. In my 40s they came out with RLS meds, I tried them all. Not one worked and the side effects were horrible. I finally tried clonazepam 1mg once a day at night. I slept through the night for the first time. I have been on it for 10 years, have not increased the dosage and it still works. But the issue is the generic. Depends on what company and color of the pill. Yellow always worked, green sometimes but the multiple blues were a hit and miss. RLS is horrible and life altering. I’m thankful I have an understanding Dr. willing to prescribe it for me.”

prellsy March 11, 2008

Klonopin (clonazepam): “I have been taking this drug for years for restless leg syndrome and it is fabulous. I could not sit through a movie at a theatre without having to get up and stand at the door or at against a wall within the first quarter of the show. My legs also kept me up at night. I was taking a full mg at night and one another in the day but the dr cut me down to 1/2 in the day and 1/2 in the evening-not as effective but apparently this can be a very addictive”

RLSgrandma · Taken for 10 years or more February 2, 2020

“Hello. I've had RLS since I was about 25 when no one knew what it was. I'd explain symptoms, having to go sleep on the carpet so I could rub my legs on it. I'm 69 now, have been on clonazepam for 24 years, a miracle, even with increasing of dose. Started at 0.5 mg, then up over the years to 3 mg before bed. It's getting so difficult to find anyone who is willing to prescribe it. Luckily my doc is but I suspect they are going to try and get me off it. The main reason is memory loss. Am now additionally trying gabapentin and have tried a couple others. Nothing as good as the clonazepam for relief. I've read other reviews where people would rather deal with the side effects than the RLS, and I could not agree more!! (am scared about memory tho) I sleep with rough towels or folded blankets between the sheets to rub my legs on. If you talk with someone who doesn't have this, they have no clue the misery it causes.”

Jack May 14, 2020

“I am 76 yrs old, Had severe leg cramps at night for more than 20 years. Been on Clonazepam for all that time. Started with 0.5mg increased to 1mg at night. Worked miracles. I was since prescribed Indapimied 2.5mgin the morning. Severe leg cramps returned. Ridaq 12.mg then prescribed instead of Idapimied. Leg cramps then less severe. Tried Clonazepam 0.5mg and leg cramp severity decreased. Dropped Clonazepam entirely and leg cramps became unbearable. Went back to Clonazepam 1Mg and leg cramps were less severe (not mild). Am about to try Clonazepam 1.5mg. I still function normally as can be expected for a person my age. Memory is commensurate with my age. A bit forgetful but not nearly Altzheimer or Dementia (Note that I'm typing this on a tablet with nobody assisting me. I in fact assist many in the coastal town that I live in to set up their computers & phones etc.) I never had any side effects or withdrawal symptoms. I think Clonazepam is a great drug and very effective.”

M4gill · Taken for less than 1 month December 16, 2012

“I have had restless legs syndrome for 10 years now and it has got to the stage I feel as if I am going insane. It has just been diagnosed as RLS after all these years. I am against taking medication unless absolutely necessary, but have got to the stage I would try anything. I have been prescribed many different medications to no avail and have only been prescribed clonazepam this week. I have for the last 3 nights had the best sleep I've had in years and I hope it continues to work so that I can get back to some semblemce of a life. I'll keep you informed. Fingers crossed.”

PJ · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 15, 2019

“Have had fibromyalgia and restless legs for many years my legs constantly ached and at one time it was so bad l experienced restless arms I was unable to function properly. My dr prescribed paxam (clonazepam) . 05 nightly when required l got instant relief and slept all night for the first time in years. I have been taking this clonazepam dose for about 6 years and have not had to increase the dose but feel the need to take it most nights. l have not experienced any side affects except tiredness so only take it at night which is ok as that’s when l need it. l have worried about hearing that it could cause early dementia but the results of being able to live a life out ways these concerns and l am on a low dose and there are risks with any medication paxam was (clonazepam) works for me 100% .”

DLS in PA · Taken for 10 years or more February 9, 2020

“I have been taking this medication clonazepam for RLS for longer than I can remember! I was prescribed a dosage of 3 a day and that served me well UNTIL I moved out of state and my new Dr cut my dosage to the smallest dosage she could find! and wanted to see how that was “and come back in a month and we’ll discuss it!” Naturally she is no longer my Doctor and I am taking exactly what I was before! If it ain’t broke why try to fix it? I was getting 3 hours of sleep on her regime!”

Doz · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 4, 2013

“I have taken 1 mg oral tablets of Clonazepam for several years. There are days I do not take it because it can create logginess. My wife was going to have to move to another room due to my every few seconds of leg movement while sleeping. This medication has completely eliminated the restless leg kicking. The side effects are the feeling of logginess with difficulty getting up in the morning.”

Ouch · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 5, 2013

“I have had restless legs syndrome for years. In the beginning it was a problem at bedtime. Over time it started everytime I was sitting for more than a few minutes. I couldn't do anything comfortably. Driving, reading the paper, going to a movie, flying, church, watching TV. Clonazepam has worked well! At first it was perfect and then I started experiencing restless legs right after I took it at night. I still do usually, but it is not very intense and doesn't last long. The medication holds it off the rest of the time. Occasionally I'll have a mild attack while driving or something. It's not very often and not nearly the intensity it was before clonazepam.”

Anonymous September 3, 2011

“After taking Requip for my restless legs syndrome for several years my doctor put me on 0.5 mg of clonazepam at bedtime and it has pretty much eliminated the RLS symptoms and I sleep much better. I have been taking it for 11 months now and haven't noticed any side effects. After reading more about this medicine. I am concerned about taking it for a long period for time. For now though it's working well.”

Frank · Taken for 10 years or more September 19, 2019

“I had Restless leg syndrome (RLS) for years and tried everything for it, but nothing worked. Then out of the blue the doctor I was seeing for something else recommended clonazepam .5 dosage. The RLS stopped immediately, no more getting up to walk it off, punching my legs, stretching. I've been taking it for about 25 years and only increased the dosage to 1.0 about 5 years ago. I have never had any side effects from it and I'm very sensitive to new drugs. If you're not aware of this doctors are required to report the use of this and other drugs in this category to the DOJ.”

ETHAN b July 29, 2019

“I've been on clonazepam for 23 years for restless leg syndrome 1 mg at bed time. I weaned off clonazepam all on my own. And was off it quickly with NO WITHDRAWAL side effects. Problems is my 3yr old twin boys are just over three years old and I’ve never gotten any sleep during this whole time. My wife notices bed sheets and blankets in disarray every morning from tossing and turning. After being off clonazepam and experimenting with Benadryl, gravol and melatonin and all kinds of low dose anti depressants to get the “groggy” effect but ALL had insane side effects. Photo sensitivity—constipation etc and more. I was developing migraines and stressed out and grouchy all day long. Guess what I demanded to be put back on clonazepam 1mg at bedtime approximately 2 weeks ago and I’m sleeping like a rock and have big time energy and headaches gone”

Anonymous August 3, 2008

Klonopin (clonazepam): “Complete elimination of symptoms which were severe. I preferred not taking a benzodiazepines and tried numerous other medications that were either ineffective or effective for a brief period of time. I am back on the Klonopin (1 mg at supper time) and am symptom free. ”

Anonymous March 1, 2011

Klonopin (clonazepam): “I have been using this medication for the past seven years. It saved my life. I have been diagnosed with Restless Legs Syndrome due to a spinal injury and with sleep apnea. My legs no longer run at 100 mph while trying to sleep, no leg cramps, and I finally reach REM. I have been sleeping like a baby.”

Bud June 28, 2018

“Clonazepam is a miracle drug for me. It has solved my restless leg syndrome and my anxiety. I am annoyed by doctors who do not suffer these problems, but they want to tell me how awful it is to take this for 20 years which I have at 1 mg at bedtime. I would never stop taking this medication and fortunately I have a doctor who will prescribe while complaining about it every time. I have researched the side effects of this drug and I have not found anything that deters me. Keep in mind that suffering comes in many ways and forms.”

Lin · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 10, 2019

“For years my Dr tried a lot of meds for my restless legs finally tried 1 mg clonazepam and for 7 years I never had it since I take it every night before bed. Now we moved to Florida and Drs think I'm a joke and won't give me any and I'm at my last straw with my restless legs, losing sleep and feel like I just can't take it anymore.”

Still restless January 16, 2012

Klonopin (clonazepam): “I have suffered with restless legs for years and after trying many different drugs my Dr came across this one. I was reluctant as nothing else had worked. It was a miracle how well it worked. Finally I was able to sleep at night without the aching which I refereed to as Chinese torture. Then my Dr of 39 yrs decides to retire and the new Dr refuses to give it to me. There should be a law against a Dr retiring without a replacement and leaving you to just hope that the next Dr you get will give you refills on your medicines that you need. ”

L60 · Taken for 10 years or more March 27, 2021

“I was put on Clonazepam 22 years ago for Restless Legs Syndrome. I thought this was a miracle drug, until my dr said she had to take me off of Clonzapam. That is where my NIGHTMARE began. I have been off of it for 3 months now and I cannot function at all!! This drug destroyed my nervous system. You don’t realize that until you are off of it. Tinnitus is unbearable. I cannot even talk right now because my voice is too loud. I am constantly shaking. I have so much pain in my ears. There is constant pressure in my head. I could go on and on with the horrible symptoms I am suffering. This is the most painful thing I have ever been through.. This drug is not suppose to be given unless you are only on it for just a few days. It may take months or years for me to heal. I am telling my story to even stop one person from going on this medication. You do not realize that this medication will destroy you - until go off of it.. THIS MEDICATION WILL DESTROY YOUR LIFE”

anibail9 · Taken for 10 years or more June 19, 2020

“After years of RLS my Neurosurgeon tried me on Klonopin. The first night I took it, I didn't have the pain and restless legs that I had suffered with for years. I would highly recommend this drug to anyone who suffers with RLS.”

jaybird55 November 19, 2014

“Restless legs, sleep dramatically improved. Used for years until I moved to new town and saw new doctor who discontinued therapy. Best relief ever obtained from any meds tried. I also have myofascial pain, fibromyalgia, arthritis, bruxism (broke off a large filling due to nightly grinding), anxiety, occasional panic attacks and a stressful home environment.”

Live N lean · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 23, 2016

“Anyone taking clonazapam, PLEASE take note. Took it for RLS and I loved it, got great sleep with no apparent side affects. Thought this was the answer until dosage had to be increased to be effective. Been on 1.5 mg for seven years and when it stopped working, I then learned the hard way you must wean off very slowly and the detoxing is horrible! This is what no one tells you! Had I known it would be like this, I'd NEVER have gone on it...and I do understand the trials of RLS! Nothing is worth this! Look up side affects of stopping clonazapam and how long it takes to detox, you'll be shocked...I was. Felt like I was going to die (and the really bad stuff doesn't start until 3d or 4th day being off..., look out)! Please be informed!”

Spotta · Taken for 10 years or more May 5, 2015

“Had RLS all my life could not explain the symptoms to my Doctor for years but finally when talking to my mother she explained she had it and told me what it was and my Doctor who is also a Pharmacist, prescribed clonazepam and it has worked fine for the past 15 years although I have noticed lately that I am having to take more than the stated 1-2 pills and take 2-3 before bed. I am only affected at night”

Mimi · Taken for 10 years or more September 5, 2020

“I am beyond RLS, since diagnosed with fibromyalgia and RLS 25 years ago. My husband described me as sleeping with my toe attached to a car battery and every once in a while the switch is throw and her whole body jerks. I have been on clonazepam ever since, for the last 15 , no increase in dosage. In 2014, after a serious surgery, by day 2 I was jerking awake while on massive amounts of opioids which I refused as much as possible after day 3. I am tired of the FDA and doctors from proctologist to RNPA's. I might become addicted. Add in I take 3 per night, and due to a 90 day ex I have to cut up pills because 7 months have 31.”

Learn more about Restless Legs Syndrome