User Reviews for Clonazepam to treat Benzodiazepine Withdrawal

Also known as: Klonopin

Clonazepam Rating Summary

4.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 2 medications used in the treatment of Benzodiazepine Withdrawal.

Reviews for Clonazepam

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 13, 2020

“I been on 4mg dose of clonazepam per day for a month for benzo withdrawal. I've had enough of the side effects and have stopped completely. Docs want to taper but I can't handle the pains in my shoulders I'm so scared now but I'm stopping and I'm off sick anyway. After reading all comments I wish they didn't put me on these but when your unwell you take it - don't you. I'm on quietapine now since yesterday so I'm preparing for a white knuckle ride if going cold turkey.”

Doug July 20, 2020

“I've been on Clonazepam for 7 years recently I started feeling hazy and my brain hurt. In fact, it still does. I thought it was another medication causing me all these issues but after successfully withdrawing from that medication my symptoms stayed on board. Now I am working with my Doctor to wean off clonazepam. I was prescribed a mood stabilizer however it was making things worse. Fortunately I did not take that medication for very long. I want to feel better and I am deeply disturbed that my Doctor would keep me on a medication meant for short term use. I am nervous about withdraw but I am so ready to be myself again.”

Tdmr · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 3, 2020

“I took 0.5 KLONOPIN FOR 4 MONTHS and now I am physically addicted, I never used it to get "high", I just used it as prescribed, it is not a high dose. But I have HORRIBLE WITHDRAWAL when I stop including using horrible mental anguish ....”

Ekaddiction June 14, 2020

“I've been on Klopin for 14 years. Started at 1mg in the beginning and went up 2mg every night to help with sleeping and anxiety. This drug is the most difficult drug to cut back on. I've come off Vicodion, Opiates, Tramadal, and most recently a long term everyday Cocain addiction. By far Klopin is the is the hardest to withdrawal from. I abused Klopin and was taking up to 3.5mg a night and mix that in with Cocaine addiction and withdrawal. To be honest I'm not sure how I never went to the hospital. Unfortunately I have a high tolerance for pills and managed to run a business and maintain a somewhat normal life. On top of everything I'm bipolar with a major addiction problem. Finally decided that I need and want a life without drugs. To everyone going through this process there is a silver lining and the Klopin fog will get better and in return make you a stronger person. A little discomfort but the result is the greatest feeling in the world not having to rely on a pill.”

Gord White · Taken for 10 years or more May 11, 2020

“Been on Benzos for many years. I've decided last September to taper off slowly. Well by middle of February of 2020 I was off them completely for 12 days. Unfortunately my OCD and anxiety came back so strong that I felt I was going to go crazy. I couldn't sleep or eat or think straight. So I went back to one pill a day and of course symptoms vanished. I still want off them but the withdrawl drives me to point I wonder if I will survive......Help!!!! Any suggestions?”

benzotaper · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 24, 2020

“I'm very aware of the dangers and the suffering of benzo withdrawal--I've gone through it multiple times and I'm only 25. However, I'm going to detail the successful tapering schedule I did using Klonopin. I was taking 2mg for two years and this is how I successfully got off--I did 1.75mg for a week, 1.5mg for a week, 1.25mg for a week, 1mg for a week, .875 mg for a week, .75mg for a week, .625mg for a week, .5mg for a week, .325mg for a week, .25mg for a week, .125mg for a week, and then I jumped off. No, it wasn't easy, but it sure beat rapid withdrawal in a detox center and then going insane for months. I suggest trying what I did and you can prolong the cuts as well (instead of holding for one week, hold for two? three? a month?). Be well everyone and good luck with the fight!”

Jawwer · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 11, 2020

“Sad to read all these bad experiences I guess I am a lucky one. I started with 4mg dose (a very high starting dose yes! If I only had known back then...) for severe GAD 2+ years ago and was instructed to take 4mg at once before going to bed which I did around a year. Then I kind of skipped doses and there were multiple days in a row I didn't take anything, on some days just a 1mg and now I am taking 1mg a few times a week if even that. Haven't had any kind of side effects or negative symptoms so far. Now, that Covid-19 is here, I have decided to take even less and eventually (hopefully) stop this for good. GAD still exists though but the medicine has helped me through some tough spots. I guess this medicine is very different on the individual level.”

Renee · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 8, 2020

“Ok, been awhile since I posted. I’m down from .5 to .125 once daily. I use a prescribed and pharmacy made liquid compound to get very accurate doses. I’m having no withdrawals effects right now. It’s been about 6 weeks at this dose. It’s taken nearly 8 months to get this far. In a couple of weeks, I’ll reduce again. I’ll either alternate days, or go to .0625 daily. Those will be my last doses. I hold the dose until symptoms calm. It’s never perfect. But I know I can get off this horrible drug. I hate the withdrawals and the anxiety after a cut, but I love getting free. We can do it. Go slow, small cuts in doses, steady progress. Do distractions and healthy eating. Remember, your brain can and will heal.”

Chrissy · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 2, 2020

“I have been on this medication clonazepam off and on since I was 19 for benzo withdrawal. I am now 25, and have been taking it regularly for 2 1/2 years. I was prescribed 8 mg a day, now 4mg, but have somehow managed to get down to 1mg a day and trying to get below that is nearly impossible. It is the only thing that has helped my anxiety, but the horrid withdrawals aren't worth it at all!!!!!!! Terrible muscle twitches, cold sweats, feeling like I'm going insane. I'm so afraid of having a seizure so I end up taking my regular dosage out of fear, so it's an endless cycle. Please be cautious with this medication. I regret ever even taking clonazepam.”

Hammy February 29, 2020

“I was put on 0.5mg clonazepam in hospital 4 years ago, I didn't research them and just took them, they made me feel good so I doubled the dose to twice a day. I now realise they are dangerous, addictive drug and want to be off them as soon as possible. I stopped taking them and the next day I had bad paranoia and then in the night my heart was beating fast so I took a tablet but the next day went back on them but cut down one tablet by half to .25mg. I was fine for 2 weeks then for 3 days I could feel my blood surging through my veins, and palpitations. I got a really bad headache which lasted on n off all day But on the fourth day things were better. I decided to give my heart a weeks rest then will taper down by a 1/4 and try that.”

Claire · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 16, 2020

“My GP prescribed Klonopin for me for anxiety, several years ago - BIG MISTAKE... I should have done my homework, before EVER taking it! I was taking 2 milligrams per day. A relative of mine, & my G.I. doctor told me just how addictive it was, & I decided that I wanted to wean off of it. My GP suggested to take 2 milligrams for the first 2 weeks, then to take 1 milligram for the second 2 weeks, & then take 1/2 milligram for the next 2 weeks. He doesn't have a clue how to wean me off of it, & he honestly doesn't care. I'm almost done the 1/2 milligram for 2 weeks, & needless to say - I'M MISERABLE?!!! First of all, if I'd ever known how addictive it was, I NEVER would have taken it in the first place. I've never abused it, but my body's feels like it's being abused NOW! I'm having heart palpitations, headaches, stomach pains, etc. I would welcome any suggestions...”

Renee · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 10, 2020

“Posted plans to titrate from .175 to .125 x 1 daily clonazapam. I did near the end of January. It’s been ok. Easier than .25 to .175 was. Some mild reactions, worst being brain zaps. That lasted only 2 days. Some spaced feelings in head, but ok. Sleeping well most nights, but taking 300 mg gabapentin. It’s hard to cut these pills smaller. Dr says only 2 weeks at this dose, then alternate nights for 2 weeks, then stop. Nervous, it seems fast. I may cut this .125 in half for a few weeks first. Today is the 2 weeks point. I really want off of this. I advise never start clonazepam, or titrate really slow. Once you adjust to a cut, do not go back up. Slow and steady. I’ve had tremendous stressors during this titration, my sister passed away a few days ago. But I tell myself this: Life stressors will always exist. Nothing is an excuse for increasing these meds. Just feel and keep going. I expect to be free by my birthday March 21.”

Gord White February 7, 2020

“Been on Klonopin for 30 years almost. Took it for problems with OCD and anxiety. Decided to get off it as I feared possible neurological damage. Was on a dose of 1.5mg a day, felt in the end I was just addicted to the drug. Started tapering off from the current 1.5mg level roughly around September of 2019. By early January of 2020, I was down to one half to pill to one pill a day. Hadn't noticed any severe withdrawal symptoms except some minor anxiety, memory issues, some confusion. By middle of January stopped taking any. Did ok for 12 days then the real nightmare began. Had multitude of problems; insomnia, depression, gastrointestinal issues, blood pressure issues, some memory problems, confusion, severe OCD, paranoia, feelings of suicide. My recommendation would be don't use this medication for longer than few weeks at lowest dose possible and only in situations where it's warranted. Myself hopefully I get through it but I wonder about the future.”

"Zebra" · Taken for 10 years or more January 29, 2020

“I have been on Clonazepam 2 mg for about 12 years now. It was first prescribed to me for anxiety and sleep help. I've run out a total of 3 times in that 12 year span. It was after taking it for about a year. It was absolutely horrible. NEVER felt that bad from anything in my life. I've had over 10 serious Spinal Surgeries and also take prescribed Morphine NOW for the pain. It started with Hydrocodone, then Oxycodone, then Methadone ( which got up to a dose of 350 mg daily). I was finally switched to the Morphine. I've been through both WITHDRAWALS......NARCOTIC AND BENZODIAZEPINE. THE (Clonazepam) withdrawal was MUCH WORSE than the any narcotic withdrawals.) The OPIOID withdrawal was INTENSE FOR 3 DAYS, then slowly got better. After 2 weeks I felt better. NOW the CLONAZEPAM WITHDRAWAL lasted at LEAST 2 MONTHS. It was also much WORSE to "me" than the Opioids. IT IS HORRIBLE and after much study found that SUICIDE rate was almost 3 times more from BENZO WITHDRAWAL than from OPIOID WITHDRAWAL.”

AB · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 24, 2020

“I started taking clonazepam after back to back panic attacks in the middle of the night that kept me awake. I started taking 1 mg a day in late 2014. I moved to a different state last January and could not obtain a prescription. So I started taking lower amount to make it last. I felt I was losing my mind mainly due to no sleep. I went back to my home state a couple of times and got an prescription with intentions to ween off. Now 8 months later and taking 0.5mg every other day. I try to go 2-3 days in between but I get terribly sick. I've been depressed. Can't get things moving with my career (self employed) I can't take it anymore! I intend to start cutting the doses to .25mg a day instead of .5mg every other day. I think I will take advice to put this in a solution or use a nail file such as I have read. Please post your updates with your weening process and I will do the same. It helps. Pray you all can get yourself off this junk.”

Renee · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 16, 2020

“Been on clonazapam for 20 months this time. Dose is .5 once daily. Started to titrate my dose down early August. Went down to .25 and was easy. Had 4th day symptoms but minimal. November had panic attacks. Decided to cut again, as this indicated inter-dose withdrawal and definitely didn’t want to go back up. In early December went down to .17. Hard to cut that pill, so dose is iffy. Been on this until now, added gabapentin to manage symptoms. Not perfect but haven’t increased dose. Most nights sleep with the Gabapentin. Starting to feel inter-dose withdrawal again, so plan further titration in about a week to .125. This sounds counter intuitive, I know. But, dragging it out too long isn’t great either. Go slow. This is slow. But, important to go slow and manage symptoms. I resisted adding gabapentin, but it’s helpful and easier to get off later. Once I get to .125 , I’ll wait another month. This is doable and I look forward to being free.”

Anon · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 6, 2020

“In 2015 I fell into a deep depression after my grandmother passed away. I decided to seek help... I was not sleeping at night. When I expressed myself to the doctor I had found. I was prescribed this disgusting medication in which I should have done my research like I normally would do. I started at 2mg. It helped at first but this medication has been the worse thing ever! I’m now tapering off slowly after finding a new doctor that actually listens. I am now taking .5MG. The withdrawal symptoms if you go cold turkey are horrible. Please do not go cold turkey, seek professional help!!!! And if you were given this medication & not yet taken it RUN as some stated!!! It will ruin you ! These doctors that prescribe this should lose their license it’s a disgusting medication! Any benzodiazepines are!”

Dani · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 25, 2019

“So I have made two previous posts about reducing my dose of clonazepam and wanted to keep you updated. I've been down to 1/4 of .5mg which is .125 for about 2 months now. I'm at 7 days in a row without taking any. My pcp prescribed a patch of clonidine .1mg to help with withdrawal symptoms. I haven't felt like I needed it yet but good to know there is something to help if I need it. I still get anxiety, muscle cramps, dizziness. Exercise, hydration and meditation has been helping me. I will push myself to be off of meds for a longer period of time, hoping to be off completely by end of January. Will update again when I'm free of it. Good luck everyone. Perhaps a detox facility will work for some who want off ASAP but need to be safe from seizures.”

Alex · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 11, 2019

“I’ve been taking Xanax for a couple years now. Up to 3 (2mg) a day. I experienced 3 seizures so far after not having the medicine for just a day or 2. DO NOT COLD TURKEY OFF XANAX OR KLONOPINS OR ANY BENZO. You will more than likely go through seizures, mini twitches and it’s not pleasant at all. It’s very scary too. I get scared and am afraid of one of these seizures may be my last. So please if I can help anyone just by reading this I’m happy. I need to taper off slowly and I intend to do so. I don’t want to live waking up everyday having to take something”

Anna · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 22, 2019

“I've been on Clonazepam 0.75mg per day for 4 years for my supposed Epilepsy with horrible side effects - memory loss, sleep issues, weight changes, irritability. Now another doctor has found out that there are no indications of epilepsy and I'm finally going on a tapering plan. It will take me up to 1 year to finally be clear of this awful drug and I just can't stand it. Removed the first 1/4 off one of the doses the other day - I'm scared of the side effects, but I so want to be free of this nightmare.”

Dani333 · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 1, 2019

“So my withdrawal symptoms are horrible. I know everyone is different as I am very sensitive to everything. I have blurred vision, vertigo, confusion, anxiety, labored breathing and my temples feel like they are bulging out. I'm weaning myself off and I've been fine up to this point. I think I'm going too fast. Weaning slowly is the way to go to lessen the symptoms. I've also noticed it triggering my bipolar, so be sure to talk to your dr before weening off or as you ween off. Good luck everyone”

Youngtwin · Taken for 10 years or more October 20, 2019

“I have taken clonazepam 1mg, 4 times a day for over 15 years. 120 tablets 1mg per month....My doctor & I are tapering over a LONG period of time. We reduced script to 110 1mg tablets. (will do for 2 months) (VERY SLOW TAPERING) Next refill was 100, 1mg tablets. (did this for 2 months). I now have 80 1mg for a month. (cut all in half) I tried to cold turkey & ended up in the emergency room. DO NOT cold turkey this medication! I was prescribed this med about 15 years ago. So my body is dependent on it, but not for much longer! Have gone from 120-1mg pills per month, to 80 1mg tablets per month..Next refill will be 75 1mg per month for 2 months. And so on...Talk to your doctor about everything, your rough days etc.. Taper over a slow period!! .Hope this was helpful. I still have some months to go, but, feeling much better physically & mentally! Good luck! You can do it!!!”

Sterling · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 19, 2019

“Clonazapam helped anxiety for 2 weeks, but I was on them for 8 months. Terrible withdrawals - been off for 4 months now and feel like I'm dying, withdrawals could last years. Do not take for more than 5 weeks, dangerous Benzo. Doctors need to be more educated on these dangerous drugs and not hand them out like candy!”

Dani.333 October 13, 2019

“I've been on clonazapam 0.5mg for three years now. Six months ago I started having really bad vertigo, my PCP said I can just stop it completely without fear of seizures because I'm at such a low dose and I wasn't abusing it. I have been weaning myself off week by week. I'm down to 1/4 of .5mg taking it two days then nothing for one day then again for two days. I'm hoping to be done by November or by end of November at the latest. I will post again once I'm off and recovered to share any symptoms. Best of luck to all trying to get off the medication.”

Logan October 6, 2019

“I take clonazepam on a daily basis for some of my anxiety related issues. TRUE it is addictive and prone to abuse. My dose is similar to some others here (0.5mg 3 times daily), however I usually manage with two doses of 0.5mg instead. Of course the withdrawal is hard, but if done properly, it can be done! The best way off the drug is a SLOW taper with other supports such as psychotherapy and group therapy. Even after the the taper you will most likely still feel anxiety at times and at various levels. I know this because I've been though it and will be doing again in a week, hoping my symptoms are at least tolerable.”