User Reviews for Clonazepam to treat Burning Mouth Syndrome

Also known as: Klonopin

Clonazepam Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 9 medications used in the treatment of Burning Mouth Syndrome.

Reviews for Clonazepam

Wildrose September 17, 2020

“I’ve had burning mouth syndrome now for over a year. I’d had other weird mouth symptoms just prior to getting it that I’d attributed to my steroid inhalers. One day I cooked an egg in a new saucepan - and my mouth suddenly went numb and I had an intense burning sensation. An oral surgeon diagnosed burning mouth syndrome (but he didn’t know what caused my other mouth symptoms) . He told me to gargle Paxam 2 (Clonazepam 2mg) twice a day to settle down the nerves in my face. I have found that the medication has been a great relief to me.. The added bonus is that it helps me sleep! An interesting thing I discovered about a possible cause of burning mouth syndrome could be an ingredient in some toothpastes, mouthwashes and gums. Some people are allergic to an ingredient in them - a fake cinnamon (cinnamaldehyde) that can cause mouth sores, burning etc.”

Flowerchild March 28, 2020

“I was perfectly normal until March of 2019 when I had a molar tooth prepped for a crown to replace a PFM crown that was 25 years old. I then had to have a root canal on the tooth, which is when all my symptoms began. Severe plastic/metallic taste in my mouth with severe burning tongue sensation. After that I went through a series of attempts to have the final crown made and placed, and with each attempt, my symptoms became worse until I almost went into shock from a severe allergic reaction. I found this site and my doctor was kind enough to prescribe dissolving clonazepam tablets, but they have cherry flavoring, which cannot have. At this time I am using a plain tablet dissolved in water and swishing in my mouth, hoping that this will finally give me some relief from this torment of metallic taste and burning mouth. Hoping this will work somehow.”

Reliefatlast · Taken for less than 1 month October 25, 2019

“I've suffered for 18 months with BMS (burning mouth syndrome), and tried over a dozen potential remedies to no avail, nothing touched it. I stumbled on this website, and during a routine checkup asked my Dr. If I could try clonazepam. I was a bit surprised he agreed given the current climate for these types of drugs. He said because of my anxiety he could justify it. 0.5mg once daily had an IMMEDIATE effect. A slight dryness and tingle remains, but pain is almost completely vanished. So thankful for a new lease on life; I was about to end it.”

Layne · Taken for 10 years or more October 15, 2019

“I was on klonopin for 20 years and my Dr took me off because I was on Adderall too. So my burning mouth came on within a month. It's very hard to lead a quality life. My primary doc put me back on for another year then told me I was quitting it too - cold turkey. It has been the worst years of my life. With the opioid crisis I cannot be on klonopin and Norco at the same time. After being on both for over twenty years and didn't have any trouble why do I think I would suddenly now. Anyway burning tongue is ruining my life...”

Anonymous June 25, 2019

“I have suffered with BMS (burning mouth syndrome) for over forty (40) years, without a cure, perhaps induced by toothpastes, meant to treat tooth sensitivity. Most practitioners I visited had no idea of what it was nor how to treat it, but, please, bear with me. There, this past December (2018), my dermatologist prescribed Clonazepam tablets, dissolved in the mouth for three minutes, then spit, three times daily, as already mentioned on another thread. ADDITIONALLY, 1-2drops of Tabasco Sauce (YES! Tabasco Sauce - CAPSAICIN) in four table spoons. Swish and spit. “Increase the number of drops of Tabasco in the same amount of water slowly as tolerated (one drop at a time).” I now use 12 drops in a cup of water, kept in a flask, just like the neighborhood alky. By now, 6-24-2019, the improvement is hard to believe. Almost miraculous, folks. And soooooo grateful to my dermatologist at the Mayo Clinic. Cheers! Enjoy life, do good deeds, share your blessings and read all you can, especially classical literature. Hopefully this will help cure your burning mouth syndrome. ”

Tammy Moulton November 7, 2018

“After being on clonazepam for years for GAD. With panic attacks. I had to find a new Dr because my Dr retired because of health reasons. Trying to get a new Dr to prescribe my script is almost impossible. Now that I have been off the clonazepam I have been having problems with BMS which at first thought was a sinus infection. That went away with antibiotics. But know I'm stuck with the BMS terrible! But with all the new black box warnings. Trying to get a Dr to prescribe clonazepam is ridiculous and I've always taken just as prescribed and went through all the other medications the Drs ordered with no relief. I understand the new laws but am so tired of knowing what work's for me and trying to get a Dr to prescribe it for me. Why Drs can't stand up for their patients and not be so afraid to prescribe a drug that works is beyond me!”

ROAMER · Taken for less than 1 month September 8, 2018

“After suffering with POTS (Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome ) and then all sorts of neuropathies (Burning Mouth Syndrome being the most troublesome), I can actually say that for the first time in 4.5 years, I feel semi-human again! I was taking 1/2 a Xanax 0.5 mg up to 5x a day with some effect but it was 'snowing' me terribly. I still had to rinse my mouth with oral Lidocaine just to be able to speak! After the very first dose of the liquid Clonazepam, I immediately noticed a marked improvement in my symptoms! It took my pain down from a constant 7-9 to a 2-3. I can live with that! I am so, so thrilled to have a doctor who actually listened and cared enough to not write me off!”

Mollyduck · Taken for less than 1 month June 30, 2018

“Have had Burning Mouth Syndrome (BMS) for 2 years. Took two ENT doctors to get a diagnosis. I was suicidal. Finally doctor 3 said he didn’t know what to do but had read about clonazapam. He had to go back an re read dosage. On it for a week and can’t believe the change. Not perfect but darn close. So happy and will be optimistic about a future. So sad doctors don’t understand the pain this causes. One told me I should be happy it wasn’t cancer and just get over it. So sad.”

Izzy · Taken for less than 1 month June 19, 2018

“I have suffered Burning Mouth Syndrome for almost seven years now. I tried Clonazepam (Paxam) 4 years ago (slowly crossing over from Xanax) but it didn't help. I had seen an oral pathologist who suggested this. Today, I asked my GP for another prescription of Clonazepam (Rivotril, this time) as this thing is causing me to resort to taking more painkillers etc. I have taken one dose of .25mg this evening and am to take this twice per day, increasing to .5mg if necessary. My GP is not keen as I take 1mg Xanax twice per day and have done so for about 24 years (and it still works, contrary to what the benzo haters say). My attempt to get off it using a Valium taper was a year of hell. I got down to 1mg Valium but life was terrible so I quit. Fingers crossed. Can't bear to think I have this for life. Along with Fibromyalgia. Life is difficult. I just read the long list of side effects. A bit scary!”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 19, 2017

“Had to stop, as it is not FDA approved for neuropathy and practitioners will not prescribe in current anti-controlled substance climate.”

JBB7951 · Taken for less than 1 month December 2, 2016

“After suffering with burning mouth syndrome for over a year, my doctor said that he had had good luck with one other patient using orally disintegrating clonazepam. I quickly got his Rx for it. It dissolves easily on my tongue (no bad taste) and I take it twice a day, 12 hours apart. After about 10 days I can say than I am ecstatic that my burning mouth syndrome seems to have disappeared. I have a little left over mouth pain but that I can attribute to my upper denture. I don't know if this will work for everyone, but I certainly think it's worth a try if you can tolerate it. My only side effects were a little dizziness for a couple of days (didn't drive), then daytime drowsiness. I don't work, so this posed no problem for me. hurray!”

Mdscl November 5, 2016

“I have tried clonazepam and had no luck. I have had BMS for over 3 years now and absolutely nothing has helped agonizing pain. Have been to both Mayo Clinic and Johns Hopkins. Mayo recommended the dissolving clonazepam but even after telling them muiltiplte times during my interview that I could not tolerate any kind of sweetner, they gave me tablet with aspertine in it! Have also tried just regular clonazepam left in my mouth for 3 minutes and then spit but no help either. Have tried all other remedies and meds to no avail. Take 1 mg xanax 3 x day to help manage anxiety from overwhelming pain.”

AngRae · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 29, 2016

“I find that Clonazepam relieves the burning caused by neuropathy better than any other medication. My neurologist also prescribes gabapentin and lamictal, but honestly, the right dose of clonazepam is all you need.”

bms trouble March 8, 2016

“Was in pure agony 24/7 with BMS for about 2 1/2 months. Tried 'magic mouthwash', but it only lasts an hour and was supposed to be used every 4 hours, so I went through the bottle in no time. Went through a bottle of Chloraseptic every 4-5 days. Took extra vitamins, went on Alpha Lipoic Acid, tried everything I could find suggested online. Then finally asked my doctor for clonazapam. I could tell when the first pill dissolved in my mouth it was going to help. Now I'm just trying to get the dosage right. BMS is about 80% better. I get 1 mg up to 3 times a day. I can easily take all 3 just to sleep at night. Should I ask for a higher dosage? Taking them this way leaves me with nothing for the daytime, and nothing for anxiety.”

LGMus December 23, 2015

“Hi there everyone. I have suffered from BMS for almost 9 months. 2 Doctors and a naturopath could not diagnose me, but I diagnosed myself after reading many articles and posts. I also went to my GP and asked him to prescribe Clonazepam. He had never heard of it's use (for this) and I was the first ever in his surgery who complained of such a problem. Anyway, luckily I got in to see an Oral Surgeon only today. He confirmed I have BMS and prescribed .5mg Clonazepam to start with. It seems we who suffer have a trigger point event which has initiated stress and anxiety in our brains, causing the pathways to be blocked and not causing our nerve endings to work properly. I will check in again in a few weeks and let you know, but do see your GP”

Docacon · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 19, 2015

“In conjunction with 40mg of Lexapro at bedtime clonazepam is extremely effective.”

dAlt64 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 18, 2015

“Along with BMS I have terrible Gerd, on a strict diet I think this had something to do with my burning stinging annoying painful tongue only on the right side. I still watch what I eat but since I have taken Clonazepam 1mg dissolved then spit I have no pain. This should be more widely announced to folks suffering.”

KeithC49 April 27, 2014

“Clonazepam truly saved my life. The pain was so intense 24/7 I became suicidal. I have been taking the same low dose for almost ten years with no pain.”

sly12b January 15, 2013

“I have had burning mouth syndrome for almost a year. I have tried everything- thrush medicine, Neurontin, mouth wash and clonazepam. I'm afraid I have had no relief, even with the clonazepam. ”

Anonymous December 14, 2011

Klonopin (clonazepam): “I suffered from burning mouth syndrome (BMS), I was given prescription mouthwash. When that didn't work, the physician treated me for thrush. Nothing worked and I was miserable. At the time, the trials for Clonazepam (Klonopin) were under way but the results had not been published. I wrote to one of the people involved in the trial. They wrote me back and I gave the letter to my physician. He prescribed 1 MG of Clonazepam daily. I have taken this for many years now and have had no further bouts with BMS.”

mhofmockel December 27, 2010

“I have had burning mouth for 3 years. I have found little help. Spinal tap is clear but MRI is abnormal (symmetrical diffuse white matter). My tongue tip burns 24/7. I also get ice cream like headaches that last for hours, worst thing ever. I used every anti-anxiety medications and Neurontin (gabapentin) with about 80% relief. I tried clonazepam in pill form 0.5mg but allowed it to dissolve in my mouth. I had instant relief. I was able to ween myself of all anti-anxiety medicines and Neurotin as well. I am 3 weeks in and the world is new. Let's see if I build a tolerance or what happens from here. But 3 weeks without pain is awesome. If you have burning mouth give it a shot, nothing to lose.”

NiaB March 31, 2010

Klonopin (clonazepam): “This has been the only relief I have found for Burning Mouth Syndrome. Not total relief but some.”

bikini jesus April 17, 2009

Klonopin (clonazepam): “My mouth burned so bad until I took Klonopin. Now, it's as cool as a winter breeze. It works great like gravy.”

Learn more about Burning Mouth Syndrome