User Reviews for Clonazepam to treat Night Terrors

Also known as: Klonopin

Clonazepam has an average rating of 7.8 out of 10 from a total of 21 ratings for the treatment of Night Terrors. 67% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 0% reported a negative effect.

Clonazepam Rating Summary

7.8/10 average rating

Compare all 4 medications used in the treatment of Night Terrors.

Reviews for Clonazepam

Nikkicicles September 29, 2008

Klonopin (clonazepam): “I have found this to be the only drug that helps me sleep through the night without an episode. It's been a year since my last doctors visit and I can count on one hand the number of night terrors I have had. Only thing is that it doesn't make me as sleepy as it did but I've been on it for about 2 years so it's probably time to increase my dose. Night Terrors are fairly uncommon and hard to treat, but I highly recommend Klonopin.”

JamesBrown · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 8, 2020

“I have taken Clonazepam for over 4 years. I take it T.I.D. Three Times Daily, 3-4Mg split in three. (1mg,1mg,1-2mg) I take it for PTSD symptoms that I experience. It is quite effective for GAD, and keeping panic attacks away. But, It only lasts about 6-8 hours, thus I take it TID. I still have terrible nightmares, I sleep about 4 hours and wake up from a bad dream. I started splitting my evening dose into 2. Taking half at 8Pm and the other half at 9-10... This helps me stay asleep longer. I still wake up with bruises, from thrashing in my sleep or wake up with a gasp/scream. For certain problems this medication is effective. But for night terrors it is not for me. Since I do not get a full REM cycle. I do not get compete rest, I need a nap. And because of my exhaustion I quickly move into the dream state of REM and have nightmares and then wake up. Not to mention it is physically addictive and it will take year(s) to reduce my dose to 0.”

Bob · Taken for less than 1 month February 8, 2021

“I have had instant relief from my intense night terrors (smashing windows, breaking down doors). I have taken 0.25Mg (Half of 0.5Mg) every night before bed. Reduced sleep talking and yelling. I will increase the dosage if I need to. I have no side effects of sleepiness or drowsiness during the day or the night.”

sleepless no more · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 18, 2013

“I have suffered from insomnia and night terrors as long as I can remember. I took Zopiclone, over the counter medications for sleep that were helpful for the insomnia but not the night terrors. I was diagnosed with REM sleep disorder by a psychiatrist who prescribed Clonazepam. I started with 1mg at night, but found it was too much and had problems waking up. I vary now between 0.5mg and 0.75mg depending on my anxiety level going to bed. I cannot say what a difference it has made. My sleep terrors are all but gone (I still have them on occasion, but not every night), and I wake up feeling more alert than on the other medicines. It has been the most helpful for me.”

dreamsofhealth · Taken for less than 1 month March 18, 2013

“Night Terrors have haunted me for the last several years on and off. My night terrors became something that occurred nightly and even if I napped. My family struggled to help me and I had no idea there was help for this. My family doc put me on Clonazepam for anxiety 0.5 at bedtime and I discover my night terrors are no longer there! I am free of night terrors! Feel like I have a new lease on life and hope that the doctor will renew the prescription, but I'm not sure if he will since it's a controlled substance.”

Anonymous March 10, 2010

Klonopin (clonazepam): “I had a horrible time with night terrors. I'm 30 years old, and it was embarrassing to say the least. I get the odd night-mare, but NO night terrors! It also helps me to fall asleep faster. I'm on 2 mg a day.”

TimWallace December 17, 2011

“I, like many of the above folks, have had a terrible problem with night terrors, aka nightmares, horrible dreams. I really don't know if nightmares and night-terrors are the same thing, but I experienced a limbo state between sleep/wake and I am not a kid...58 actually. In the old days, when I WAS a kid, the doctor put me on the old drugs in use then, i.e. Seconal....barbiturates..this was 45 years ago. Sure, those really knocked me and I slept like the proverbial log, but the "hangover" was so bad I could not attend school. I do not know when clonazepam was introduced, but I had this problem off and on all my life and clonezepam reduced the problem significantly, not a cure but a tremendous help. ”

big dal March 27, 2010

“I've been taking clonazepam for 18 months and it has changed my life around. I suffer from R.E.M behaviour disorder, night terrors, sleep paralysis and the ability to act on my dreams which has caused harm to partners. I take 7mg at night and so far I've had no problems. The only side effects so far have been dry mouth and slight unbalance occasionally, I'm a bit groggy in the morning for a little bit but that soon wears off.”

mememe · Taken for 10 years or more November 18, 2019

“I have been on Klonopin for years and I still have terrible nightmares where I literally throw myself out of bed and really hurt myself..I have to sleep alone since I thrash around like a dying fish. I kick the bed so hard that I loosened a hip replacement and had to have 3 more surgeries because of it”

Xrc August 24, 2014

“I was prescribed for night terrors. I tried it for about 4 weeks. I had a significant improvement but the side effects included feeling drugged all day and twitching muscles in my ears. I stopped taking It because of the side effects.”

KrissieD March 18, 2014

“I had been taking anti-anxiety medication for a very long time due to my severe anxiety and panic attack disorder I have and the last resort after trying a few others was to take klonopin 1 mg 4 times a day.. After starting taking the medication, I didn't notice any bad side effects, but then I slowly started to have nightmares and night terrors, even when I just took small cat naps! It was absolutely horrible, I couldn't stand it but I didn't think about Klonopin being the cause until after a while it stopped working for my anxiety and I went back to Xanax which started to work better for me again and all of a sudden, my night terrors have disappeared and no longer afraid to fall asleep! They've gone away ever since I stopped Klonopin.”

WhatisSleep · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 24, 2020

“I have a very passionate relationship with this medication. I love it and I despise it. It has caused memory loss, extreme sedation in inappropriate times, and its one hard drug to kick. It took me over a year to get off of this medication and I had to take 0.25mg every other day for about three weeks at the end it before I finally had rational thought patterns. I hate sleeping and suffer from PTSD. While it managed my symptoms, I became a dissociated mindless zombie at the end of my use of the medication.”

Brij · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 19, 2019

“I'm on clonazepam for Somnambulism (sleepwalking). I started on 0.5mg tab and 12 months later I'm now on 2mg (4 tabs). The problem is, one gets tolerance to them very quickly and although I can fall to sleep within minutes, after around 4-5 hours, I can be diving out of bed head first, kicking or thumping my ever-so-understanding girlfriend, or crawling/walking around the bedroom until my GF wakes me up etc. They're ok for an initial sleep but unfortunately, with me, they wear off to quickly.”

Nat · Taken for less than 1 month May 3, 2019

“I take 1mg of Klonopin (0.5x2) for help sleeping or 0.5mg divided through the day if I’m having a bad panic day. I have GAD, BPD, panic disorder, night terrors, Insomnia, and manic depression. I take 40mg celexa as well. I used to take this many years ago for sleep but last night I started my new prescription in about six years. It took me a few hours to fall asleep. Hoping it gets better as I adjust to it. I worry about not sleeping to the point I can’t sleep and throw myself into a panic.”

Lou August 2, 2018

“I have suffered from night terrors for years. As one reviewer wrote above, mine was related to being the surviving member of a family who all passed under my care, due to old age. A lifetime of caregiving and no matter what you do, they will eventually pass. That was my fear while they were alive and became my night terrors after they were gone. I told my doctor and he suggested Klonopin. I am on my fourth day now but I don't think I can handle the side-effects. I'm late to work everyday & I feel like my brain is floating in applesauce until at 12pm. I don't know what to do because I don't want the night terrors to return, but I need to be able to function during the day. To sum up this review; it absolutely works. If you're one of the few who experience the side-effects, it still may be worth it to you. I still haven't decided what I am going to do. However, I would still highly recommend it to someone to at least try if they suffered they way that I suffer.”

libbykatemars October 25, 2009

Klonopin (clonazepam): “My night terrors have completely ceased. My anxiety during the day is greatly diminished. I do feel slightly drugged but the trade off is worth it.”

Jupiter74 December 28, 2015

“My night terrors were getting out of control and have mainly disappeared since I started on Clonazepam. I take .5mgs at night only.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 16, 2019

“night terrors are NOT nightmares and klonopin will not help”

kennym_42 September 17, 2011

Klonopin (clonazepam): “I have night terrors and after this medication was prescribed I rarely EVER have night terrors anymore.”

Anonymous May 6, 2017

“does not seem to be as effective as lorazepam for me in reducing night terrors.”

Anonymous January 1, 2009

“The information here is easy to read and understand for non-medical folks. Thanks!”

huskybreed · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 25, 2014

“Works for what I needed to.”

Learn more about Night Terrors