User Reviews for Clonazepam to treat Bipolar Disorder

Also known as: Klonopin

Clonazepam Rating Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 78 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Clonazepam

Corey · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 31, 2020

“clonazepam really helps with my TMJ since all the other medications tend to work for a short duration. I was originally prescribed Klonopin for anxiety but noticed it really relaxes my muscles so I was able to get off my baclofen and Flexeril. I could have kept all 3 but told doc the other two were unnecessary.”

Greatful March 2, 2020

“I have bipolar and am a rapid cycler, every 2 weeks. Take depakote daily, and 1 mg klonopin at night. Since my cycle is predictable, I take 1 extra 1 mg klonopin 2 days before my cycle starts and it prevents me from going up. I am really tired the next day, but worth it. 1/4 klonopin under tongue helps me with panic attacks, especially in traffic.”

D · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 10, 2020

“I need klonopin to function but the Veterans hospital that I go to doesn’t believe in giving them out. I have to beg my psych dr to prescribe them to me and he will give me fifteen 5mg tabs for the month. They help but if he would give me 1 mg at night I would be able to function like a regular human being. Sometimes I even have to resort to buy some off a friend. I don’t care! They help get me out if bed and live in the real world. I would never abuse these. They are a life saver for me.”

PS · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 5, 2020

“I was overcome 24/7 with severe anxiety and had panic attacks. Was on Lithium and Paxil. Added Serroquel for about 1 year. Bipolar 1; took about 6 years to recover, get off SSDI and get my life back. Was on up to 3mgs clonazepam a day, reduced over the 4 yrs I took it and was on 1mg at night for the last couple of years. Recently tapered off completely. I did not rush the tapering and had little difficulty. Mainly had some issues with insomnia.”

Miss S August 30, 2019

“I have bipolar and borderline. Clonazepam doesn't help treating my diseases, but is very helpful at minimizing many symptoms as anxiety, panic attack, insomnia and similar, so it makes life much easier.”

ow7en · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 16, 2019

“Along with taking clonazepam for anxiety and panic disorder, my doctor has prescribed clonazepam to help my mood due to bipolar depression. This medicine is a miracle for me, it makes me clear-headed, motivated, calm, and ready to face the world. It helped me get my life back.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 17, 2018

“I suffered for years with anxiety due to Bipolar. Finally saw a pdoc that prescribed me with Clonazepam. I take 0.5mg daily though am only suppose to take it when things are bad. I notice when I take it daily then everyday is good. When things are really bad I take 1.5mg per day split throughout the day. So far after 2 years everything is going well and I can function like the norms do.”

Marissa K. March 13, 2018

“Since a teenager I was thought to be just depressed (2 suicide attempts and months in hospitals). I spent my early years on Welbutren(sp?) at 18 after another episode, I was switched to Zoloft. I stayed on that for almost 2 years, but would go from feeling nothing at all, to pacing in my room not able to sleep for days. Scared to death about everything. After I’d come out of these phases, that some times lasted months, I would sit back and be embarrassed for all my outrageous actions (quitting colleges, acquiring far too many ferrets, because I honestly believed they’d save me, only wearing one outfit but insisting to do my laundry every day etc...) Finally at the age of 24 I was prescribed Klonopin. .05 mg up to 3 Times a day. 90 a month. Suddenly I could sleep again. I didn’t believe in mysterious rituals, I could actually hold down a job. I was diagnosed with Bipolar depression and got prescribed Klonopin paired with lexapro. It has literally been life changing.”

MyFightSong · Taken for less than 1 month May 7, 2017

“I have bipolar 2 with rapid mood cycling occasional suicidal ideations. After taking citalopram for 12 years for what doc thought was regular depression, I went off that and now searching for mood stabilizer for bipolar moods. Clonazapam 0.5 2x daily helped stabilize my anxiety after all of this and Ativan 0.5 as needed for panic attacks. Clonazapam is great because it stays in your system much longer than Ativan. Overall, Clonazapam is a life saver for me (especially at time with PMS moods!) Still searching for a good mood stabilizer bc I still have 'bad' days though but always stay POSITIVE THIS TOO SHALL PASS keep going to your doc and psych! Peace.”

Kirk01 · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 3, 2017

“I have been using 2 mg of clonazepam at night for over 3 year with 60 mg of fluoxetine in the morning. I have found I feel much better than the regimen of seroquel, clonazepam, wellbutrin, fluoxetine and atarax I was previously on. I find the clonazepam works better than tegretol, valproic acid or lithium for me. Clonazepam has anti-seizure properties as well as anxiolytic properties that work well for me along with with the mood lift Prozac gives. I recommend it if you have Bipolar Disorder.”

roseofsharon-butterfly February 4, 2017

“I went without night time sleep for 3 months even more. I was about ready for the hospital. Clonazepam was the miracle that gave sleep back to me. I am grateful to this medicine. I have bipolar disorder. The other mood stabilizer that is now working better than any others I have been on is Lamictal. I am really happy to where I've come to be. It's a good place.”

Misdiagnosed and coma · Taken for less than 1 month January 31, 2017

Klonopin (clonazepam): “When a person has mental symptoms , they're supposed to have medical workup always. The reason is many medical conditions mimic mental illness until treated. Then zero symptoms forever (mentally). If a person has Myxedema (severe hypothyroidism), gets misdiagnosed as mentally ill (schizophrenia, bipolar, delusional d/o, depression, anxiety ...all common MISDIAGNOSES in thyroid disease), Klonopin can induce coma. This happened to me and then they realized I was not mentally ill. Had no symptoms since healing from this dreadfully dangerous drug. Read "Physical Illness presenting as Psychiatric Disease" before taking any psych drug. Any sedative, hypnotic, even Advil can cause MyxedemaComa 40%chance death. See Iatrogenic Coma & other articles.”

espresso_dreams · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 27, 2016

“Not quite strong enough for me by itself, but it helped me sleep easier during the roughest period of my life (losing my mother) when combined with xanax, ativan, Halcion, lamictal, and risperdal (though I did have problems with the risperdal - but I put that there).”

PostmodenistCupie · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 19, 2016

Klonopin (clonazepam): “Horrible side effects.”

adsfalknaf August 3, 2016

“I am diagnosed with Bipolar I, and I get psychotic and paranoid when manic. I also have severe, debilitating anxiety since I was a young child. Finally, my psychiatrist found the right drug combo, which is seroquel, remeron, klonipin, and temazepam for sleep. I have been in remission for 5 years, hold down two very demanding and stressful jobs. I do not feel over drugged and I am so happy with Klonipin for my anxiety. I take 3 mg daily, 2.5 at night and .5 in the am. No side effects, my mind is sharp as a tack and no mood swings or psychosis for 5 years!! I think everyone's bodies are different and what works for some may not for others. I have not raised my dose in over 5 years and I have no high feeling or any cognitive side effects.”

DubiousLynx July 30, 2016

“My experience is very similar to Manuel123 reviewed here. With Bipolar Disorder, once you learn how to recognisance when you are feeling a little high this drug is excellent to reset back to normal. For me it's just 0.25mg before bed when needed. I tend to wait for Friday night as will make it harder to work on a workday. That way you can relax in bed on Saturdays due to good half-life of product. Much to say I have been on various BPD drugs thorought the years since 20's, now mid-30's, and find this is the best and works for me for self medicated management. Take care guys.”

Randazzle :) · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 8, 2016

“I've been taking Klonopin, on and off, for almost ten years now. There are so many varieties that I don't know which ones work for me anymore. The doctors all tell you it's the same thing. If that's the case, why have I stopped and started so many times? The most common reason is tolerance, i suspect. However, it has been my observation over the last 10 or so years, that the different colors, sources, and whatever "fillers" that are in some of these clonazepam, alter the effects too randomly. As sufferers of the horribly misunderstood disorder, we should have more resources to find out what is in these and more insight into which ones favor our individual bipolar characteristics.”

Manuel231 · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 15, 2016

Klonopin (clonazepam): “Great for "resetting" at bedtime when feeling a little upswing with Bipolar. I have noticed after a day of being a little up, the Klonopin drops the intensity and brain energy nicely to allow for rest and relaxing. I do notice that if I don't take it, because I may not feel like I need it one night, that it is harder to get to sleep. I also have experienced some short term memory loss when taking 1.5 mg (3 x .5 mg) the next day. It has also helped me with anxiety when depressed. Great drug!”

Camera dude · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 25, 2016

Klonopin (clonazepam): “It was fine for a year, but then made my condition much much worse to the point that I lost everything I ever loved. Please research this med before taking. It is not intended to be used for more than three weeks in a row.”

AZWags · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 23, 2016

Klonopin (clonazepam): “After being treated on 4 antipsychotics and two mood stabilizers for bipolar hypo manic disorder I have never felt better in 10 years Currently on seroquel 400mg XR ( Three tablets at bedtime) take 1 to 2 mg Klonipin daily as needed. Never felt better. Tried other sleep aids like trazadone and other tcas. Nothing. Best with klonipin because of no cravings of physical need because half life long and one doesn't get a high off klonopin because very slow onset.”

Alynn31 · Taken for 10 years or more February 7, 2016

Klonopin (clonazepam): “I take (3) 2mg klonolins a day, been taking them for years. Yes it works, if you like being zoned out all day. I also have a personality disorder, and when I am in split mode, these make it worse.”

Bugdust · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 4, 2016

“This Clonopin does not work at all. It makes me nauseous and irritable. It also gives me acne. They were out of the yellow tablets so they gave me the pink ones instead. I will not take these pain pills anymore.”

Veronica P. · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 3, 2015

“I have been taking klonopin for several years. I find it helps more than the short-term benzos like Xanax and Valium. For one with BPD, Bipolar, and Anxiety Attacks, this pill is a godsend. I usually do not advocate pharmaceuticals, but I have never had my anxiety quelled like klonopin does. It is highly effective for any type of anxiety, and stops panic in its tracks after 15-20 mins of administering. This is the only pill that i'm on that I advocate. The only warning I have is that it has high potential for dependence, and the body gets used to having it constantly. Sometimes it requires upping the dosage. PLEASE start on 0.5 mg. If your dr starts you on 1mg, it will bring on extreme fatigue, and decreased motor function.”

JackieA87 November 8, 2015

Klonopin (clonazepam): “I was diagnosed at the age of 15 with Bipolar. I really never understood why that was my disgnosis.. maybe cause of my horrible depressions at a very young age and well having to go thru alot very early in life might have been the cause of that. I suffered alot from Anxiety or panic attacks and i must say that Klonopin has been the best drug i have ever had, even better than Xanax. It relaxes me instead of that sedation feeling Xanax used to give me and also last longer. I can now sleep better as well. So in conclusion Klopin is amazing and way better than Xanax and ofcourse this is to my opinión”

Ash10105 · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 17, 2015

“Don't take it for longer than 1 month. I'm addicted to 4 mg daily and I can't get off. Side effects - Short-term memory and long term memory are gone (REALLY GONE), I'm so so tried (I sleep all day) and I have 0 motivation. It's amazing for short term anxiety of all kinds. Just do not get addicted. IMO max 1-2 mg for max 1 mth. 2 year user. 27 yo male. Kills anxiety in it's tracks but not to be used long term. Look into Nardil/Parnate if SSRIs fail. Asenapine is great if you need your racing thoughts controlled. DO NOT LET ANY PSYC GIVE THIS TO YOU LONG TERM”

Learn more about Bipolar Disorder

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)