User Reviews for Clonazepam to treat Bipolar Disorder

Also known as: Klonopin

Clonazepam has an average rating of 8.6 out of 10 from a total of 88 ratings for the treatment of Bipolar Disorder. 82% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 9% reported a negative effect.

Clonazepam Rating Summary

8.6/10 average rating

Compare all 80 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Clonazepam

Bipolar Mike March 8, 2008

Klonopin (clonazepam): “It really helps me control my mood. I normally take one to two every day depending on what is happening. For example, I completely blew up at my girlfriend the other day over something completely stupid, took one of these, and my anger was gone. It really helps.”

JakeFukk · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 22, 2014

Klonopin (clonazepam): “Love this medicine. Great for bipolar and anxiety. I try not to use it all the time, it won't work the same if you take it all the time. This medicine is safe. I see some people have be on it for over 20 years!”

ohio*buckeyes · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 20, 2013

Klonopin (clonazepam): “I was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder about 6 years ago and had my share of trying different medications to get it under control. After multiple trials with medicines my doctor finally found the right combination for me (Lexapro, lithium, (Depakote had sexual side effects), Synthroid, trazodone at night, multivitamins and B-1 vitamin). This combination worked great to get my mood swings under control. Once my mood swings were under control, I started having extreme anxiety attacks. I was then diagnosed with anxiety disorder as well. My doctor prescribed 0.75 mg Klonopin 3 times a day, as needed and it is a lifesaver. Klonopin knocks my anxiety down within 15 min. I have been taking it for 3 yrs with great results.”

Skrappy44 May 21, 2008

Klonopin (clonazepam): “This med has been great. I have suffered Bipolar Disorder and panic attacks for years. It has helped me tremendously. You may need to adjust the amount so you don't become tired during the day but once you find the optimal dose I feel it's a worthwhile medication.”

adsfalknaf August 3, 2016

“I am diagnosed with Bipolar I, and I get psychotic and paranoid when manic. I also have severe, debilitating anxiety since I was a young child. Finally, my psychiatrist found the right drug combo, which is seroquel, remeron, klonipin, and temazepam for sleep. I have been in remission for 5 years, hold down two very demanding and stressful jobs. I do not feel over drugged and I am so happy with Klonipin for my anxiety. I take 3 mg daily, 2.5 at night and .5 in the am. No side effects, my mind is sharp as a tack and no mood swings or psychosis for 5 years!! I think everyone's bodies are different and what works for some may not for others. I have not raised my dose in over 5 years and I have no high feeling or any cognitive side effects.”

BiPolar Bob · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 30, 2014

Klonopin (clonazepam): “Since I was 13 years old. Anxiety has been a severely debilitating issue in my life. It's destroyed most of the relationships in my life and stopped me from maturing as a person in terms of moving up in the job field. A lot of people would consider me weird, because of becoming Very reclusive due to my anxiety disorder. When I am on Klonopin... IT IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT! I have a lot of energy, motivation and I'm anxiety free. The most I've taken consecutively was 2mg for about 2 weeks and after stopping for about 2-3 days after that I'd never feel any withdrawal effects. This is usually the cycle I use. The quality of my life is drastically better on Benzodiazapine medication.”

chrisbce · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 30, 2015

Klonopin (clonazepam): “Klonopin helps my social anxiety and generalized anxiety disorder associated with Bipolar Disorder I. I've been taking 1mg twice per day for 8 years and works great. I'm able to get things done without thinking something terrible is going to happen.”

sweeetdee September 29, 2013

Klonopin (clonazepam): “I started taking Klonopin recently, and I'm mixing it with Vybriid and Lamictal. It helps so much. At night it takes the edge off. I take 0.5mg, sometimes 1mg to help me out more. I haven't had as bad of racing thoughts while I'm trying to fall asleep and I end up sleeping like a baby. The after effects is a little bit of groggyness but it's worth it. The only thing that bothers me is that I feel like smoking cigarettes after I take it. Overall, it's great and stops the mania as well as depression.”

MoonSpiritLady July 29, 2008

Klonopin (clonazepam): “Klonopin works. I can go from anger to a puppy within fifteen minutes or less. Sometimes when I anticipate a major issue I take one to prepare myself and I'm fit to go nice and smooth. No anxiety, no anger, just calm, cool and collected. It's an excellent anxiety medication.”

Dee · Taken for 10 years or more February 5, 2021

“I have used klonopin off and on for over 20 years as a PRN for my bipolar disorder. It works extremely well at managing anxiety and panic attacks. It also helps with sleep. I use CBT with my therapist to help manage my routine. If I get off my routine and stop using klonopin I become manic which is detrimental to my life in many ways. I have tried several different meds but none works as well as klonopin for me.”

moparguy · Taken for less than 1 month March 18, 2015

Klonopin (clonazepam): “Prescribed 2mg 1x day take for sleep or rest for manic episodes. I had been going on 80 hours no sleep and no relief with current meds. Dr. Prescribed this immediately and within 90 minutes I was calmed down and able to sleep. Highly recommend for anyone who has had failure with other medications as I have.”

JackieA87 November 8, 2015

Klonopin (clonazepam): “I was diagnosed at the age of 15 with Bipolar. I really never understood why that was my disgnosis.. maybe cause of my horrible depressions at a very young age and well having to go thru alot very early in life might have been the cause of that. I suffered alot from Anxiety or panic attacks and i must say that Klonopin has been the best drug i have ever had, even better than Xanax. It relaxes me instead of that sedation feeling Xanax used to give me and also last longer. I can now sleep better as well. So in conclusion Klopin is amazing and way better than Xanax and ofcourse this is to my opinión”

ow7en · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 16, 2019

“Along with taking clonazepam for anxiety and panic disorder, my doctor has prescribed clonazepam to help my mood due to bipolar depression. This medicine is a miracle for me, it makes me clear-headed, motivated, calm, and ready to face the world. It helped me get my life back.”

Melisander · Taken for 10 years or more June 20, 2021

“I am 57 and have been on some dosage level of Clonazepam for about 20 years. I started it, with Prozac, when my first diagnosis was Major Anxiety/Major Depression. As my diagnosis changed to Bi-Polar I and I gradually developed a cocktail of drugs that worked together very well, Clonazepam has remained the one constant. At one point I was up to 4 mgs a day, but I'm now down to .5 mg as needed (usually about every other day). I've never taken more than prescribed and have never had any sleepiness from it. Ativan, by comparison, makes me a zombie. Most anxiety drugs have that effect on me. The thing that has been the best for me is the feeling that I'm not on a drug when I take Clonazepam. Just the feeling of being anxious or overwhelmed becomes a bit more manageable. I understand why this drug isn't the right choice for everyone, but unless there is a definite alternative, I plan to stay with it. If I can be just that much more myself, why shouldn't I?”

Miss S August 30, 2019

“I have bipolar and borderline. Clonazepam doesn't help treating my diseases, but is very helpful at minimizing many symptoms as anxiety, panic attack, insomnia and similar, so it makes life much easier.”

Wkumomma · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 13, 2013

Klonopin (clonazepam): “I am bipolar on 500mg Lamictal, 1200mg gabapentin and prescribed Klonopin. I am prescribed to take it 1.0 two times a day but don't need to often. When I am hysterical or very angry in which I want to hit someone or tell them off which happens sometimes you take half usually and it works. I take a whole one if its too much to handle. I don't use it all the time sometimes not even for a week. It's wonderful for those out if control moments! Klonopin is much better for bipolar, to use than Xanax. Xanax had no effect in me at all!”

Paullan February 15, 2013

Klonopin (clonazepam): “Initially found I would wake up groggy but after a few days this really helped calm me. I take it in combination with Seroquel, Buspar and Wellbutrin. Coming off Effexor due to the sexual side effects and up to 75gm/day. Also on Adderall twice a day and find the combination helps me concentrate and feel much better about myself. Before this combination I was suicidal. Now, I even look forward to the next day. I can't guarantee this combination works for everyone but I've tried MANY with limited success so it's refreshing to know something is working and if I could help another person feel the way I feel.”

Manuel231 · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 15, 2016

Klonopin (clonazepam): “Great for "resetting" at bedtime when feeling a little upswing with Bipolar. I have noticed after a day of being a little up, the Klonopin drops the intensity and brain energy nicely to allow for rest and relaxing. I do notice that if I don't take it, because I may not feel like I need it one night, that it is harder to get to sleep. I also have experienced some short term memory loss when taking 1.5 mg (3 x .5 mg) the next day. It has also helped me with anxiety when depressed. Great drug!”

D · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 10, 2020

“I need klonopin to function but the Veterans hospital that I go to doesn’t believe in giving them out. I have to beg my psych dr to prescribe them to me and he will give me fifteen 5mg tabs for the month. They help but if he would give me 1 mg at night I would be able to function like a regular human being. Sometimes I even have to resort to buy some off a friend. I don’t care! They help get me out if bed and live in the real world. I would never abuse these. They are a life saver for me.”

Calm in Ky · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 21, 2014

“I have anxiety attacks, restlessness, post traumatic stress disorder and bipolar disorder. My Dr put me on 1 mg Klonopin about a year ago and now I can handle life again. Since age 19 when my mother died I have had post traumatic stress disorder and major anxiety problems. But since doc put me on this the whole family says I'm a different person. It also controls my bipolar disorder I no longer (flip out) as my daughter calls it. So yes I agree that it is a miracle.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 17, 2018

“I suffered for years with anxiety due to Bipolar. Finally saw a pdoc that prescribed me with Clonazepam. I take 0.5mg daily though am only suppose to take it when things are bad. I notice when I take it daily then everyday is good. When things are really bad I take 1.5mg per day split throughout the day. So far after 2 years everything is going well and I can function like the norms do.”

Greatful March 2, 2020

“I have bipolar and am a rapid cycler, every 2 weeks. Take depakote daily, and 1 mg klonopin at night. Since my cycle is predictable, I take 1 extra 1 mg klonopin 2 days before my cycle starts and it prevents me from going up. I am really tired the next day, but worth it. 1/4 klonopin under tongue helps me with panic attacks, especially in traffic.”

Marissa K. March 13, 2018

“Since a teenager I was thought to be just depressed (2 suicide attempts and months in hospitals). I spent my early years on Welbutren(sp?) at 18 after another episode, I was switched to Zoloft. I stayed on that for almost 2 years, but would go from feeling nothing at all, to pacing in my room not able to sleep for days. Scared to death about everything. After I’d come out of these phases, that some times lasted months, I would sit back and be embarrassed for all my outrageous actions (quitting colleges, acquiring far too many ferrets, because I honestly believed they’d save me, only wearing one outfit but insisting to do my laundry every day etc...) Finally at the age of 24 I was prescribed Klonopin. .05 mg up to 3 Times a day. 90 a month. Suddenly I could sleep again. I didn’t believe in mysterious rituals, I could actually hold down a job. I was diagnosed with Bipolar depression and got prescribed Klonopin paired with lexapro. It has literally been life changing.”

MyFightSong · Taken for less than 1 month May 7, 2017

“I have bipolar 2 with rapid mood cycling occasional suicidal ideations. After taking citalopram for 12 years for what doc thought was regular depression, I went off that and now searching for mood stabilizer for bipolar moods. Clonazapam 0.5 2x daily helped stabilize my anxiety after all of this and Ativan 0.5 as needed for panic attacks. Clonazapam is great because it stays in your system much longer than Ativan. Overall, Clonazapam is a life saver for me (especially at time with PMS moods!) Still searching for a good mood stabilizer bc I still have 'bad' days though but always stay POSITIVE THIS TOO SHALL PASS keep going to your doc and psych! Peace.”

Strashine May 1, 2014

Klonopin (clonazepam): “It really calms me down when I get acute panic attacks. Dr. allows me to take up to one 2 mg tab as needed during day. I do find myself taking up to 2 tabs a day and 1 at night to help with sleep. Nothing else seems to work.”

Learn more about Bipolar Disorder