Does tramadol cause constipation?
Yes, tramadol can cause constipation and is one of the most common side effects with this drug. In studies, constipation was reported in 9% to 46% of patients. In some cases it may be severe. Call your healthcare provider if you have any tramadol symptoms and they are severe.
- Constipation is a well-known and expected side effect of opioid use. It should be addressed quickly to prevent further complications.
- Use extra caution in older patients and monitor more closely. In studies, constipation resulted in discontinuation of treatment in 10% of those over 75 years of age.
- The use of other drug therapies that lead to constipation, such as anticholinergic drugs, can worsen the constipating effect of tramadol. If you are not sure if you are taking other medicines that may worsen constipation, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
To learn more: Treatment of Opioid-Induced Constipation: The Hard Facts
Tramadol (Ultram) is commonly associated with other stomach (gastrointestinal) side effects such as:
- nausea (16% to 40%)
- vomiting (5% to 17%)
- dry mouth (5% to 13%)
- heartburn (1% to 13%)
Tramadol side effects (in more detail)
- Tramadol can cause constipation in 9% to 46% of patients. Stomach side effects in general are common with tramadol.
- Constipation is a well-known side effect of opioid pain treatment, and it should be addressed quickly to prevent further complications. Call your doctor if you have constipation with opioid treatment.
This is not all the information you need to know about tramadol for safe and effective use. Review the full tramadol information here, and discuss this information and any questions with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Tramadol monograph. Drugs.com. Accessed Nov. 16, 2020 at https://www.drugs.com/ppa/tramadol.html
- Ultram [product information]. Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Updated July 16, 2020. Accessed Nov. 16, 2020 at https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/lookup.cfm?setid=45f59e6f-1794-40a4-8f8b-3a9415924468
Related medical questions
- Which painkiller should you use?
- Is tramadol stronger than codeine?
- How long does it take for tramadol to start working?
- How long does tramadol withdrawal last?
- Can you take tramadol with acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or aspirin?
- How long does tramadol stay in your system?
- How much tramadol should I give my dog?
- Can you take 800mg ibuprofen with 50mg tramadol?
- Which drugs cause opioid-induced constipation?
- Does tramadol raise or lower blood pressure?
- Is tramadol an anti-inflammatory or muscle relaxant?
- Tramadol Information for Consumers
- Tramadol Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Tramadol (detailed)
Related support groups
- Tramadol (471 questions, 2,649 members)
- Pain (2,140 questions, 11,769 members)
- Constipation (210 questions, 596 members)