User Reviews for Nucynta ER

Nucynta ER has an average rating of 7.3 out of 10 from a total of 77 ratings on Drugs.com. 69% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 17% reported a negative effect.

Pain
7.2
Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy
8.1
Summary of Nucynta ER reviews 7.3 77 reviews

Reviews may be moderated to correct grammar/spelling or remove inappropriate language. Reviews that appear to be created by parties with a vested interest in the medication will not be published.

Reviews for Nucynta ER

Dani4 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 26, 2018

For Pain: “I have been on pain meds for 8 years due to multiple problems, as well as 2 auto immune diseases. I swear some of y’all gotta be paid reps for this drug-Nucynta-cause your so-called “experiences” of amazingness is the exact complete opposite of what I have endured while on this BOGUS medicine. Either that, or y’all had been on Aleve or Motrin for pain, and your doc prescribed the Nucynta and it’s now a wonder drug for you “compared to an OTC pain med.” cause this junk is just that-a placebo that does NOT help anyone with legit pain, who also has a “tolerance” to narcotic pain meds. There is absolutely no possible way this med is helping anyone except the pharmacy reps, doctors, and Big Pharma companies that are actually pushing this rubbish on legit pain patients. Y’all have lost your minds. You’ve been warned. It’s horrible. For pain relief I give it ZERO stars out of 5.”

Yanni999 June 18, 2016

For Pain: “I suffered a compression fracture at L2, and I have had a failed posterior lumbar interbody fusion at L4 five and L5 S one. I am disabled and only want a life that is worth living. My New pain management physician started me early this week on Nucynta ER 100 mg every 12 hours, and for break through pain to take oxycodone acetaminophen 10/325 four times daily. I'm not getting much relief from the Nucynta ER 100 mg. I am very disappointed. I will consult with my doctor to see what he feels I should do. I am so unhappy with our government, that is harassing people that are 10 times more educated than they are, on "proper prescribing behavior" for the treatment of chronic pain. This is a disgrace to the USA!”

Skuzy June 16, 2015

For Pain: “I fell off of a ladder at work and shattered my elbow and slicing my nerves. After 3 surgeries over a year period I was still in a lot of pain. After going through the norco dependence I was finally referred to a pain mgmt doc who first tried Opana to no avail. I was then put on an extended release Fentanyl patch which worked but did not last near long enough between doses. The doc then put me on Nucynta ER tritated up to 250mg x2/day and it has been a godsend. I keeps my pain at bay and doesn't get me high. I will say that it seems to only last 8-10 hours but I have norco to fill the gap. Very happy with Nucynta and I feel like I have my life back. Friends and family say that I am much better to be around as well. Good luck to you!”

Runner2Yogini March 5, 2013

For Pain: “I am 30 years old and was diagnosed with fibromyalgia when I was 25. Over the years, it kept getting worse and worse. It was beginning to interfere with my life. I had a very poor quality of life. I finally after suffering for over a year, I decided I needed real help. I had been on many other pain medications, but Nucynta ER was different. The day I got my prescription filled, and took it that night, I woke up a changed person. I'm not sure exactly how long I'd suffered but, Nucynta ER has given me my life back. My depression and anxiety are non-existent. I feel awesome!”

steven1012 March 10, 2016

For Pain: “I had 17 surgeries on hands,arms,elbows,and shoulders,11 on the right side the rest on left side, I have very chronic pain nerve damage on both hands elbows,arms and shoulders, I take 1 nucynta and 2 Roxicodone every 6 hour,the pain is about a 10 real bad and when I take this meds goes down to around 5 or 6,it helps a lot, I would recommend this, I'm disable it help me to function wish it would help more but doesn't have to much side effects, I've been taking them for a few years you get some nausea but take sofran for that, what I don't like is the government trying to tell us to cut down, I take 4 nucyntas and 6 Roxicodone a day,thats the most I can cut down to,because of my chronic pain,the people that are hurt are the ones that suffer.”

Suz1133 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 29, 2016

For Pain: “Since 2002, when I had a terrible car accident....Durango hit my Civic, while I was 1st at a stoplight, (stopped), at 50 mph. Been thru 3 cervical fusions from the best docs in the USA, 2nd surgery was a failed fusion. Third surgery in 2013, I now have 7 levels fused, from C2-T1, and a recent lumbar fusion from L3-L5. I am bionic, except for the agonizing pain I've endured for YEARS! Finally on disability, both b/c of spine, severe poly-neuropathy, and severe fibro all over. Nucynta is a HUGE blessing! No foggy head and dwindling down on Norco intake! I feel ALIVE! 200 mg ER x 2/day and down to 4 Norcos for breakthru. It IS A GOD SEND! I can once again be productive, happy and damn nearly pain free. I am blessed! No, it doesnt give you a hi”

tired of it · Taken for less than 1 month July 6, 2018

For Pain: “Just started taking this, was on Oxycodone 10/325 4 times a day, was willing to give it a shot. Its horrible. I keep wanting to throw up all day long, it feels like I am going thru withdrawals, foggy as heck, missing work. Never had these issues before. They are making the opioid issue so bad that people who really need the pain meds are having to take things like this. I have had 4 neck surgeries so far, the pain is ridiculous. before I found the Oxy I was barely able to move around, once I got on that regiment I was able to work everyday, function like normal, now I'm back to just feeling sick every day, foggy as heck, not wanting to do anything, just cry. This sucks.”

Sharonna June 4, 2015

For Pain: “I take Norco, Methocarbamol, Gabapentin, and Motrin. The pain was still so bad I couldn't take it anymore. I went to pain management and demanded surgery. I told her that I only had about 2 decent hours a day. She asked if I would try Nucynta ER. My mother was completely addicted to morphine before she died, so I am careful not to ever over-medicate. I started with 50mg ER - I was so relieved...it helped so much. No side effects, except maybe dry mouth, but I had that before the Nucynta. After about two years I had to increase dosage to 100mg ER. Still no side effects. At one point the pharmacy couldn't get Nucynta for over a month. I couldn't take any during that month,and I had no withdrawals. The pain came back of course, but that's it !”

Bec · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 3, 2019

For Pain: “This medicine has been such a blessing for me. Felt as if my quality of life was completely lost from chronic pain. Multiple spinal issues and 3 surgeries later I was left with terrible neuropathy and pain all down my right side. This did the trick. Now I have my life back!”

Niecy · Taken for less than 1 month March 20, 2018

For Pain: “Was on Opana ER 20mg twice a day with oxy 5mg 1-3 times a day. Was doing well, not using the IR very much. Pain clinic Doctor no longer issuing prescriptions for Opana. I was put on Nucynta 100mg twice a day in place of Opana. The last five days have been very difficult. I can't sleep, literally. I have zero appetite and have to force myself to eat some crackers and cheese. The medication wears off after 8-9 hours with strong withdrawal symptoms. So I have to take break through Meds just to calm the withdrawal. My hands shake and I feel so weird. Like depression. I can't take this medication any longer. I believe our bodies all react differently to medications and for me, this is not a good fit.”

ErinENj November 28, 2011

For Pain: “I am currently on Opana ER, and tried the Nucynta ER to see if it would have any less side effects than those I had on the Opana (sweating was the absolute worst, and severe exhaustion, among others). I tried Nucynta ER for 4 days, and felt the best I have felt in years. While my dose needs to be increased a little, it made me feel so much better. I didn't have any of the negative side effects that I have on the Opana. On the Opana, I needed to nap throughout most of the afternoon because I was just that tired. On the Nucynta, I had energy throughout the entire day and just felt wonderful. I am excited to get on it permanently, and think it may be an awesome medication for me.”

Rick F · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 16, 2015

For Pain: “I have been taking this medication for the better part of a year now in ever increasing doses until reaching the maximum dose of 250mg 2X daily. I have found it does a good job of controlling what I refer to as "lesser" pains. I find general movement is easier, minor physical activities such as walking, driving, showering etc. are less painful. However, it does not do as much for the more "major" pains. More active physical activity such as gardening, house cleaning, etc. are still painful, however the pain is "masked" by the drug and I "pay" for these things later..I have had chronic pain for over 30 years and I do not expect anything will ever make me 100% again, but this drug has made me able to enjoy a few hours a day of comfort”

Disabledjohn · Taken for less than 1 month December 10, 2019

For Pain: “Just filled my first Nucynta 50mg X2! Have had experience with Opana , Oxycodone, Morphine and many more opiate type meds. I have CIPD with diabetic Neuropathy as well as chronic pain ! I initially am feeling some areas of pain go away! I’m going to wait longer to share updates , but am optimistic !”

Marysmo February 23, 2019

For Pain: “I have been on Nucynta ER since around 2013. Had a bad car accident in 2011 and the opiates alone were not enough. My lower back discs L2-S1 is bad along with my facet joints, spine and nerve damage in left leg and other issues. My Dr started me on 250 mg which helped. The pain was better and still stayed on my Hydrocodone 10mg 2-3x a day. After a couple years I felt I wanted to go off this drug. I did not like the foggy feeling . I went down to 150mg. It took my body 1 year to adjust to 200mg's a day! The first 2 weeks was horrible! this medicine will not make you 'high' like percosets or oxy's. It just made my body crawl and could not sleep. It gives me hot flashes, makes me tired and affects my memory. I am still on the 150 mg and searching for another opioid to replace it with. Just do not want to go on something that will give me the same side effects.”

Lighty November 29, 2019

For Pain: “Pain Clinic prescribed these to take in addition to Hydrocodone acetominophen 10/325. There is absolutely no relief to be had with these Nucynta, wish I could afford to actually have a capsule tested to see what all is NOT in them. I believe Excedrin or any OTC pain relief would be better, this med is a joke if you have chronic pain!!”

graciesmom · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 10, 2014

For Pain: “I could not deal with the side effects of Oxycontin or hydrocodone. Too much dizziness and severe itching. Unable to get restful sleep. Nucynta ER 50 2 times a day has been MUCH better for me. Very little side effects and only for the first couple of weeks. I sleep better too. Only objection is that it wears off after only about 5 hours. So I have to take hydrocodone occasionally.”

Faithinmymeds August 20, 2016

For Pain: “I have OA in my knees and muscular joint pain. I took Oxycodone for several years. I have a T11/12 herniation and 2 lumber bulges. The spinal issues cause my feet to burn after lying in bed for a couple hours which lead to many sleepless nights. I was prescribed Gabapentin. It was 90% efficient in blocking the neuropathy but caused horrible cognitive side effects. I asked the doctor to let me try Nucynta. Not only did it work better than the oxy on my OA and such, it was nearly as effective as the gabapentin for nerve pain. I take Nucynta ER 50 twice daily and Nucynta IR 50 once daily if needed. The Nucynta causes no euphoria as with the oxycodone. I sleep 8 hours a night and no burning sensation in my feet.”

Lulumom · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 13, 2016

For Pain: “I have 4 slipped discs and a self fusing spine and I'm only 36. I have terrible OA in my spine that's hereditary. I failed epidural injections. The nerve pain kept me in bed crying most days and I couldn't be a wife or mom. I started on Norco, then moved to Ocycodone. They added neurontin and nothing took care of the burning shooting pain that was at the base of my skull and down my left arm. I got interminent relief for one year. I changed doctors and they put me on Nucynta ER 250mg once a day! I can honestly say I am pain free. I only take this and an anti inflammatory. I will say the consistent side effect is Nausea Vomiting and no appetite. I don't mind it as I'm finally pain free and I just eat small meals!”

Pain no more November 20, 2015

For Pain: “In 2012, I was in an accident. As a result, I have had 4 surg to my right wrist. I then developed bi-lateral epicondylitis, trigger finger, and myofascial pain syndrome. I have taken a variety of meds without relief. I wasn't able to participate in life or carryout routine tasks. My pain specialist prescribed Nucynta ER 50mg @ 1 tab twice a day (morning & evening. I was also prescribed Nucynta IR 50 mg @ 1-2 tabs up to 4 times per day. The Nucynta ER lowers my pain throughout the day. If I have housework, etc, I can take 1 to 2 Nucynta IR prior to starting the tasks. This gives me the extra relief I need to complete the work. If my pain spikes, I can also take the IR. Nucynta has given me my life back.”

Johnny G · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 15, 2019

For Pain: “I started on 50 mg of Nucynta with 4 of the 5/325 mg vicodin daily. I had Carpal Tunnel, Rotator cuff surgery and Neck surgery all related to work. My pain Dr upped my dosage to 1-100 mg Nucynta ER daily. Taking it with Vicodin during the day it seems to work ok. I get the sharp nerve pain on occassion from my neck into my arms at times. As a whole it works ok. Sometimes with chronic pain one has to search for what works best for that person. We are all different.”

L2 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 5, 2020

For Pain: “After having a benign brain tumor removed I began suffering from horrible headaches and seizures. I fell and fractured 5 ribs and collapsed my lung. That’s when I was diagnosed with cluster headaches. I have tried so many different medications and treatments, nerve blocks, infusions, ablation. My pain management doctor started me on Nucynta ER 250 2x daily and when I have break through pain I have 2- 50 mg I can take to manage the pain. It’s tolerable and I do not wake up in agony anymore. I also use Emgality a migraine medication monthly. The combination of medications are working better then anything else. The only thing I can say is this medication his the most expensive medication I have ever paid for. I wonder what people with no insurance would do.”

Jamelt August 8, 2015

For Pain: “Take it for back pain as needed. 100mg dose. It works but it makes you tired. No pain. Some days I can't even get up cause of my back pain. Only problem is when I don't take it (I try not to use pain meds too much) I get really sick. Maybe its withdrawal. That part isn't fun. But after 3 days or so of not taking it, I'm back to normal”

Anonymous May 6, 2012

For Pain: “This is great base/stable medication. I take it twice a day and have other medication for break through pain. I had 2 back surgeries and 20-30 epidurals. I'm young (less than 40). It is not cheap, but I find it worth the price. I am a lawyer and need to be quick on my feet. This medication does not weigh me down mentally.”

PES · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 7, 2018

For Pain: “I have had multiple different surgeries, and live with chronic pain. I've been taking three Percocet 5-325 MG per day. The pain control, would only last for around 3-5 hours. The constipation that comes along with the above med, were unreal. I then ended up forming stage three hemorrhoids, and had to have a Hemorrhoidectomy, which was the worst! The pain medicine also made my depression worse, which I did not need! My pain clinic doctor, recommend Nucynta ER 50 MG, every twelve hours. There were two benefits, in taking Nucynta ER 50 MG: first, it was around the clock, pain control; and secondly, it eliminated my hard stool, and constipation. It was increased to 100 MG because of my pain levels. I was still dealing with breakthrough pain, and was given Oxycodone 5 MG, but once again, it caused more depression, and constipation, immediately! I’m going to have to stop taking the oxycodone, and talk to my pain clinic doctor about increasing my dosage of nucynta to 150 MG x 2 per day.”

Wambo · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 8, 2019

For Pain: “Multiple herniated discs, severe osteoarthritis in my spine and severe degenerative disc disease, my neck and lower back are the worse for me. I've tried percs, butrans 20mg patches and now nucynta 400 mgs a day. Been on it for 6 months now. Helps but certainly not a cure all! The breakthrough pain is awful and all I can take for it is arthritic acetaminophen, which does nothing . Don't miss the constipation, buzz or nausea of the other options. Biggest downside is it stops all ambition and drive!”