User Reviews for Capsaicin

Also known as: Analgesic Balm with Capsaicin, Axsain, Capsagel Extra Strength, Capsagel Maximum Strength, Capsicum Oleoresin, Capsin, Capzasin, Capzasin Back and Body, Capzasin-HP, Capzasin-HP Arthritis Formula, Capzasin-P, Castiva Warming, Dolorac, Drs Cream, GNP Capsaicin, ...show all 35 brand names

Learn more about Capsaicin.

Peripheral Neuropathy 6 reviews 6 medications

5.7
Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy 5 reviews 40 medications

Summary of Capsaicin reviews 46 reviews 5.9

Reviews for Capsaicin

Qutenza (capsaicin) for Peripheral Neuropathy: "Well have had this treatment about 2 years ago now - I was told it was a very new treatment and only one use of it would provide permanent benefits and that it often gave back sensation to extremities in Peripheral Neuropathy - for me this was not the case it was in a sheet format a speciased Nurse was doing the treatment cutting into this single sheet by aseptic technique and extra gloves - the stinging that it cases to both my hands as in fingers and everywhere the Quitenza touched spent the next 3 days virtually in the bath as skin was burning in PAIN now Pain I can feel, unlike even touch seems out of reach - apparently it takes up to 3 months to work - oh yeh and it is made from Capsicum - [Chillies]"

Murph101 April 26, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Postherpetic Neuralgia: "Tried it once, 12 hours later still burning unbearably"

Lani1777 April 12, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Postherpetic Neuralgia: "Shingles 5 years ago , chronic PHN Trigeminal Upper Branch Nerve Pain Discomfort since , used Lidoderm Lidocaine patch , that lost it's ability to relieve , tried other topical creams Eucerin skin calming creme w/ drop of Geranium Oil mixed and worked into affected area , after awhile that lost it's ability as well . Tonight tried Capzacin again , used years ago didn't do much , yet tonight it did , we'll see tomorrow ."

Joe Woo February 28, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Osteoarthritis: "I'm not sure it helped at all but when I woke up in the middle of the night sweating, the burning sensation it caused was intense! Very painful. An ice pack helped but I'm afraid to use again after this."

Lilsly (taken for less than 1 month) February 16, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Capzasin-HP (capsaicin) for Postherpetic Neuralgia: "I used this when I had shingles for the pain, NowI use it for sebhorea... it burns like the dickens but then numbs. itching stops."

marge555 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "This works for nerve pain, but is waaay stronger than Bengay, Tiger Balm & the sort. Honestly, this should have a more serious alert on the bottle. My dr had me start nerve de-senitizing-i think its called. I have two types of nerve pain & the pain can get real ugly. I used a brush on my hamstrings and adductors to "densitize". I was still just going crazy in pain, meditated-well tried. Prayed & am now suffering the consequences of putting Capzasin HP on my Scrubbed legs...maybe 30 min past the scrubbing. Honestly, this pain rivals my nerve pain-awful close anyway. Good product, but BE careful, w/kids, pets, older folks & especially people in crazy pain undertreated by a propaganda driven war on pain medicine & the Pain Drs."

Jmpmarch87 December 3, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "I used this for the first time last night and within one minute my skin felt like I had lit it on fire! I followed the directions on the box to remove it but I suffered for hours. My skin looked like I had sun poisoning. I almost made a trip to the ER. Today my skin is still very tender. I made a bad situation much worse. Never, ever AGAIN!"

Kimbo88 September 17, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zostrix (capsaicin) for Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: "It was prescribed for hot Burning painful feet. I tried it several times trying to get used to it. Every time I used it it would cause extreme pain in the feet. My feet would turn red like it had been in a fire. And Woodburn like it had been in a fire. I could not get used to that pain and it didn't seem to be working anyway. I finally stopped it and threw the rest of it out."

Idontbelievethid August 17, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "I CAN WALK AGAIN!!! I had so much pain in my right knee, and nothing worked. Can't take alleve. I tried this and put on WAY TOO MUCH the first time. Burned liked I was on fire. After, I use in very mall doses, all I can say is IT WORKS. Took pain away, and I can traverse the stairs, and walk with almost NO pain. I like this better than taking pain meds. I HIGHLY recommend this."

DocDM August 12, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "I have been suffering from sciatica for about 10 years now. It has gradually gotten worse. Ibuprofen, acetaminophen, and naproxin no longer help to relieve the pain in my left thigh. I have found that a generic capsaicin patch placed on my lower back relives the pain. It doesn't fully disappear but it becomes a lot more bearable (0.025%)"

MsSmith5 August 12, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Osteoarthritis: "I used capsaicin for relief of neck pain (eventually resolved by surgery) & now for very painful arthritic knees. It was very effective for the neck pain AFTER i slowly built up to effective dose. Currently trying to reach therapeutic level for knees -- slow going due to hot weather & sweating. Capsaicin can cause very bad burning pain if it gets wet during bathing or sweating before one has built tolerance. In fact, i swore off it twice due to agonizing burning before learning to manage the early months of use much more carefully & start low & slow (as I'm doing now with knees). However it's a great pain treatment once you learn to use it carefully & build tolerance. Wash hands twice or use gloves to avoid possible eye contact!"

Gracie99 July 19, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Osteoarthritis: "I have put a '5' because I have only been using it for a few days and according to the label it usually takes weeks to work. I would say a couple of things to the other people posting on here. 1. If you think the burning pain (which is definitely there) is unbearable then I can reassure you that your joint pain isn't that bad because comparatively the burning is absolutely nothing compared to the joint pain. I have seen people put comment's like "the worst experience of my life" - You have a pretty good pain free life then. 2. You have to use regularly or it WONT WORK. if you don't use it 3-5 times per day it will just give you local cutaneous burning and will not go through your skin and start helping the desensitising of your nerves."

BIG G 1990 July 18, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Postherpetic Neuralgia: "Been using 4% lidocaine (along with gabapentin, which has yet to do anything after a week) and ibuprofen for my postherpetic neuralgia. Asked Dr for prescription strength lidocaine cream and he recommended OTC Capsaicin. He recommened zostric, but the Capszin-HP was on sale (.01%) so I got that. Applied first time. Felt like my skin was on FIRE!!! MUCH worse than the neuralgia pain. And it lasted almost an hour, leaving me in worse pain than before I applied. Will never use this again."

PWillip July 14, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "Suffering for over 2 months with Sciatic Nerve and Hamstring pain, using Advil 400 mg per 8 hours, which just wasn't completely relieving the pain. A bottle of Absorbine (not Jr.), produced in 2000 was in the medicine cabinet and contains capsaicin, along with herbals and other ingredients. After application, the pain almost immediately was reduced from 10 to about 7 (still taking Advil). But about the 4th application of the Absorbine described above, noticed pain subsided for a longer period. Now we are unable to locate Absorbine with like ingredients. Found a creme called Capzicin and it seems to being working satisfactorily (2 times a day), along with the 400 mg Advil (taken every 8 hrs.)."

Anonymous July 12, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Capzasin-P (capsaicin) for Osteoarthritis: "I have arthritis in my knee, decided to try Capzasin, used a very small amount, It literally set me on "fire" I immediately jumped in the tub and drenched with cold water, that didn't even stop the burning, it lasted for hours, thought I was gonna have to go to the ER!!!"

Fk July 12, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "I just found out about Capzasin today and tried it for the first time for my fibromyalgia. I have OTC .025% and while I have only been using it a few hours I am so excited to have found it. The burning sensation is mild compared to my pain and doesn't bother me in the least. I tried it on one thigh to start and make sure it didn't bother me too much. I had so much relief in the one leg I couldn't wait to use it on the other. My only complaint is the smell. It has a strong scent of menthol. I am in most pain at night when trying to sleep so I think I will use it then. I did read that showering can be uncomfortable but also that a milk compress helps."

NinaRene'e June 30, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "Capsaicin cream works amazingly well for my sciatica. I apply on the side of my leg, foot, lower back, or wherever I have pain. So, the version 0.1% is too strong. You should buy the .025% version at Look for Rugby Capsaicin 0.025%. There is also a product called Zostrix which you can find with .025% Also: use plastic gloves to apply. You are applying essence of hot peppers to your skin and if you transfer it to your eyes it will really burn. It stays on your skin, so after 8-12 hours I scrub the area down with a soapy washcloth. It reheats if you sweat or take a bath. Without scrubbing it will reactivate if your skin gets wet."

Solsa May 24, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Osteoarthritis: "Probably best to do a small patch test before you use this product. Also, different Capsaicin preparations are more potent than others. I have bursitus in my shoulder and it is very painful particularly when I sleep wrong on my shoulder. Capsaicin is the only relief I get. Now able to sleep through the night, yes, it burns, that's the point, it exhausts the pain receptors in the area. Best product but you have to expect to burn, that's what it does, that's how it works."

Mendelsohne (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 5, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Capzasin-HP Arthritis Formula (capsaicin) for Pain: "This should be called the burning lotion from hell. I put on last night and knees and elbows are still burning. And yes several showers later two at 130am. Thanks a lot Will NEVER EVER USE AGAIN. U can shove this burning sensation!!!!"

Jltowns April 3, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "this product was horrible. had a bad reaction, a huge rash on my back and soon painful. do not use it"

suze304 April 1, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "I have bad sciatica. Lying in bed was the worst and ive tried every thing. Found this amazing capsisin and havent looked back. At first i was putting on a fair bit and the burning was unbearable but found that sweating interacts so now i put a tiny bit on and now i have movement"

trace2210 March 14, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "Yes, it burns, even worse after putting it on at night then waking up and taking a shower in the morning. The water hitting it, OH MY! I used capsaicin patches for nerve damage pain in my rib after a car accident. It worked, the more you use it the more effective it was. I am now using it on my neck (cream) my PCP told me it is one of those medications that the more you use it the more benefit you will get....and the less the burn. I am hoping the cream works as well on my neck as the patches did for my rib."

lmpb March 5, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Osteoarthritis: "Used it last night for knee pain and it started burning so bad it felt like my skin was melting off! I would rather deal with the knee pain than ever use this stuff again!"

Worst experience ever February 23, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Capzasin (capsaicin) for Pain: "I put on this medication for muscle pain and within ten minutes the burning sensation got extremely bad my skin was very red and the burning was unbearable, worst experience ever."

Extreme Burning February 6, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: "Most effective treatment"

N Sanz December 15, 2015