User Reviews for Capsaicin topical to treat Pain

Also known as: Zostrix, Qutenza, Capsicum Oleoresin, Capzasin, Salonpas Gel-Patch, Capzasin-HP, Theragen HP, No Pain-HP, Zostrix Neuropathy, Zostrix Diabetic Foot Pain, GNP Capsaicin, Salonpas-Hot, Capzasin Back and Body, Axsain, Sloan's Liniment, Drs Cream, Capsagel Extra Strength, Capsagel Maximum Strength, Zostrix-HP, Dolorac, Capzasin-HP Arthritis Formula, Capsin, Menthac Arthritis Cream with Capsaicin, Salonpas Pain Patch with Capsaicin, Analgesic Balm with Capsaicin, Zostrix Sports, Castiva Warming, Pain Doctor Capzasin-P Pain-X R-Gel Zostrix Foot Pain …show all brand names

Capsaicin topical has an average rating of 4.4 out of 10 from a total of 49 ratings for the treatment of Pain. 35% of those users who reviewed Capsaicin topical reported a positive effect, while 53% reported a negative effect.

Capsaicin topical Rating Summary

4.4/10 average rating

Compare all 1431 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Capsaicin topical

Girldavis · Taken for less than 1 month April 2, 2021

“I was told by my Dr. to use this medication for sciatic nerve pain. I applied a small amount to my right hip and outer thigh area around 10 PM and immediately felt the warmth. I preceded to lay down for the night. During the night I woke up several times with burning pain and had to remove my blanket from applied area. Woke up at 6 AM to shower for work and during my shower I felt like there was boiling water being poured down my leg. I had to finish my shower with cold water (leg was still on fire). I could not touch the applied area and this means putting my pants on for work. I thought about going to Urgent Care but put some shorts on and headed to work. 5 hours later I AM STILL ON FIRE!! I myself will NEVER use this medication again!”

jmb66 · Taken for less than 1 month March 11, 2021

“Put a small amount on the base of my thumb for arthritis pain (recommended by my doctor). Seemed fine at first. 6 hours later it feels like my hand is on fire. Also bumped my neck with my hand and that area started burning as well as having a red area much larger than what I touched. Cold and aloe did nothing to help it feel better. It's now 12:30 a.m and I am in terrible pain (I have a pretty high pain tolerance if that tells you anything) and have to be up at 4:00 a.m. for work. I honestly don't know how I can keep using this to 'get used to it". The pharmacist was SO helpful...NOT. She said not to use cold if that makes it worse...wow. I will never use this again ($12 down the drain) and NEVER recommend it. I don't do reviews but knew I had to for this. I hope it helps someone making a decision to try it or not. I wish I would have researched first but figured if my doctor recommended it then it would be a good option.”

Sadie · Taken for less than 1 month March 11, 2021

Axsain (capsaicin): “AWFUL STAY AWAY FROM THIS PRODUCT I’ve never in my life experience a pain quite like it the burning sensation is absolutely crippling applied on my knees at 10 o’clock at night it’s now 3am in the morning and I’m up with wet towels camomile lotion Suda cream trying to ease the pain literally feels like my skin is on fire, highly considering dialling 999 the pain is THAT BAD!!!”

KL September 7, 2019

“I have read several reviews regarding the Capsain cream and all I can say it's absolutely great. Doctors and Pharmacists need to teach people how to use this product, YOU ONLY USE THE SMALLEST AMOUNT you do not need to use this product like a toothpaste amount . Use sparingly and you will find you get the relief you require. I have spondylitis in my lower back with the pain generate from there into my buttock and without this product life would not be worth living. Hope this helps those who have used it wrongly or someone is serious pain .”

jh6111 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 8, 2015

“For years I suffered from plantar fasciitis in my heel. I could not even walk the pain was so bad. I would have to hop on one foot to get around. I tried everything from hot soaks to ibuprofen and new shoes. I saw a free sample of lotion with capsaisin in it, .01 % dose. I had read reviews of all the burning so I had it for month and never tried it. One day the pain was so bad I gave it a whirl. Instant relief! No burning, no stinging, not even a warmth. I can walk again very comfortably. I am so glad I learned of this medication. I donot understand why so many people experience burning and I did not.... But you should try it. Oh and if you live near a dollar store they sell a 7" patch for $1. I got 6 uses out of $1....”

Pooka · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 23, 2020

“Okay, first of all, don't ever put Capsaicin on using your bare hands. It will linger on your hands even after scrubbing them with soap and water. Use gloves and be careful you only get the cream where you need it. If you find the cream too painful DO NOT try scrubbing it off as this will not work. Water, especially with heat and steam, reactivates the heat in the capsaicin. Treat Capsaicin cream the same way you would treat eating hot chile. Put sour cream, yogurt, or any other thick, milk based product on it to settle the heat. I swear by capsaicin cream for pain. I use it on my back, hip, arthritic knee, just about anywhere that hurts. When I 1st used it I would feel like my skin was very hot but you actually start to get used to the heat.”

PW · Taken for less than 1 month October 27, 2019

“Tonight was my first night using this stuff and I WILL NEVER EVER USE IT AGAIN!! The burning it gives off is horrible I have tried everything to cool it down and it seems like it's burning worse. I have to be to work at 7 in the morning and here I am at 3:30am writing a review because I can't sleep due to the burning of this cream. I wouldn't recommend this shit to nobody. My skin is so irritated its red as, and burning. I even took a cold towel to wrap around my legs and its still not working”

B2ree November 6, 2013

Capzasin (capsaicin): “I used this for knee pain per my doctor recommendation. I read the instructions and applied the medication. It didn't relieve my pain, it caused more pain. Severe burning, stinging pain. Even showering to wash the medication off was painful. I had to use calamine lotion to counter the effects. Perhaps my skin is more sensitive than others out there, but I would use caution with this medication.”

Rick · Taken for less than 1 month October 12, 2019

Capsagel Maximum Strength (capsaicin): “I have Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) in my left wrist and have been taking methotrexate for a year. I have been using capsicium cream for a couple of months, a very small amount rubbed into the effected area and can’t believe the response.... it’s great, I get a slight burning sensation a couple of hours after I put the cream on but otherwise no pain from the cream. My specialist said to reduce from 20mg methotrexate a week down to 10 but this week I am going to rely solely on the cream and see what happens.....so far so good”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 13, 2020

“I used this per my Oncologist for neuropathy in my feet caused by chemo. NEVER EVER WILL I USE THIS AGAIN ! I have been up all night trying to wash this off. The burning sensation is unbearable. Feels like my toes are roasting on a fire. This cream should be sold by prescription only so the patient is definitely warned about the burning sensation”

Sunshine · Taken for less than 1 month October 16, 2018

Capzasin-P (capsaicin): “I used Capzasin hp creme on my ankle and knee after a hard days work. This creme has me on fire, and there is no relief. I tried washing it off, and it only made it worse. I have redness, swelling and feel like my skin is on fire! And there is no relief! I do not recommend anyone to use this creme. It only causes more pain!”

Kaye July 17, 2019

Capzasin-HP (capsaicin): “My Dr recommend this and said he uses it himself Well I bought the product and applied it at 7:00 a.m. and now it's been 15 hrs later and my back is literally on fire I wouldn't recommend anyone buying this product I've tried cold shower Ice , anything cold and yet I'm on fire”

Fibromite and back injury · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 1, 2013

“I began using Capsaicin-HP for severe pain from by neck to top of my buttocks caused by fibromyalgia. I found it to decrease my pain as much or better than non-narcotic oral medications. Then I had an injury to my back which required a lumbar spinal fusion at L5-S1. Capsaicin again helped my pain incredibly. I applied everyday 2 to 4 times a day before surgery and then limited used to areas of neck and back away from incision until site healed, then resumed use over entire back. It does get very "hot" at times, but I learned not to focus on that and realized that was the time it seemed to be removing pain the best. I am a nurse and eventually learned to allow it to "heat" which typically lasts about 30 min and I got the best results.”

Trace · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 4, 2019

“I’ve been using zostrix hp 75 percent for a year on my lower back. At first I thought I was on fire but persisted with it as my back was killing me. I put a tiny dot of cream on twice a day and now no burning at all and back pain gone.”

CaseyPY · Taken for less than 1 month September 30, 2018

“I have RA and used the roll on applicator around my thumb joint . Apparently some of it spread onto my palm. IT HAS BEEN 27 HOURS since I applied it and the pain has gotten WORSE. I CAN'T SLEEP.....and I HATE PEOPLE WHO WRITE IN CAPS, but that’s exactly HOW ANNOYED I AM. I’ve tried vinegar, milk, oils, Ice. For goodness sake, warn people.”

Pip February 4, 2020

Zostrix (capsaicin): “Holy fudge Hotter than a hot sauce Tried washing it off after 10 mins as leg was burning like lava! Washing it off still didn’t work An hour later, still burning Ice packs, water spray bottle, damp cold cloths .. still burning ”

DocDM August 12, 2016

“I CAN WALK AGAIN!!! I had so much pain in my right knee, and nothing worked. Can't take alleve. I tried this and put on WAY TOO MUCH the first time. Burned liked I was on fire. After, I use in very mall doses, all I can say is IT WORKS. Took pain away, and I can traverse the stairs, and walk with almost NO pain. I like this better than taking pain meds. I HIGHLY recommend this.”

Kimbo88 September 17, 2016

“I used this for the first time last night and within one minute my skin felt like I had lit it on fire! I followed the directions on the box to remove it but I suffered for hours. My skin looked like I had sun poisoning. I almost made a trip to the ER. Today my skin is still very tender. I made a bad situation much worse. Never, ever AGAIN!”

Prince May 14, 2019

“I am currently in the worst pain ever not from my knee pain but from this capsaicin - the burning sensation. I don’t care what you say this stuff hurts and burns I washed and washed and ice doesn’t work - nothing works I honestly rather deal with bad knees before I ever put this on again How the heck is they selling this stuff”

Jltowns April 3, 2016

Capzasin-HP Arthritis Formula (capsaicin): “This should be called the burning lotion from hell. I put on last night and knees and elbows are still burning. And yes several showers later two at 130am. Thanks a lot Will NEVER EVER USE AGAIN. U can shove this burning sensation!!!!”

trace2210 March 14, 2016

“I have bad sciatica. Lying in bed was the worst and ive tried every thing. Found this amazing capsisin and havent looked back. At first i was putting on a fair bit and the burning was unbearable but found that sweating interacts so now i put a tiny bit on and now i have movement”

laylshams · Taken for less than 1 month March 18, 2013

Capsin (capsaicin): “I had a muscular injury to my leg. I rubbed on the ointment and the "slight burning" the packaging warn of was a horrible burning that I could not remove with repeated washing with soap and water. The intense burning sensation went on for a few hours. ”

Anonymous July 1, 2012

“I have arthritis in my knee. This works for Pain, but under no circumstances go out in the sun while using it. Sun intensifies medication and feels like you have been stung by a jelly fish. If exposed by sun, ice immediately and wash off.”

NinaRene'e June 30, 2016

“I just found out about Capzasin today and tried it for the first time for my fibromyalgia. I have OTC .025% and while I have only been using it a few hours I am so excited to have found it. The burning sensation is mild compared to my pain and doesn't bother me in the least. I tried it on one thigh to start and make sure it didn't bother me too much. I had so much relief in the one leg I couldn't wait to use it on the other. My only complaint is the smell. It has a strong scent of menthol. I am in most pain at night when trying to sleep so I think I will use it then. I did read that showering can be uncomfortable but also that a milk compress helps.”

Picky August 5, 2020

“capsaicin is the worst cream ever! I have R.A haven't been able to get rid of pain in my arm and shoulder, not to mention the pain ran up my neck so decided to try rubbed it in and immediately it started to burn! It was like if someone threw hot oil on me. I could not get it off I tried showering with cold water I try putting soap on it so I can wash it off I tried aloe vera any thing the pain was not going away I felt like I was burning I do not recommend this to anyone”

Freddy22 January 9, 2018

“The effect takes a few hours to build and it will be intense but thats the mechanism. It breaks the pain signal cycle and distracts from other pain. Fantastic for muscle pain, spasms, nerve pain and chronic pain, arthritis, spine related pain, once you learn how to use it. The pain feels like bad sunburn but it is harmless if you don't show an allergy, grin and bear it because it will retrain you body's pain receptors to dampen down other pains even after finished using.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 7, 2020

“This capsaicin cream was incredibly beneficial at relieving sciatica and pain caused by disc issues in my lower back. The relief was rapid and beyond my expectation. However, despite every precaution taken, it has effected my eyes, roof of mouth, throat and lungs. I applied it carefully and washed my hands well, but it's as though I still breathed it in. I have the taste of it in my mouth days later and a tight chest combined with a cough and a feel of throat constriction and chest tightness. As much as wish I could use this product for its amazing pain relief, what I am undergoing days after stopping it ( hot showers reactivate and disperse it from the skin with steam, so this may last awhile! ) this side effect is a deal-breaker.”

Bon · Taken for less than 1 month March 29, 2018

Capzasin-P (capsaicin): “Three separate people with different pains and causes all experienced terrible burning sensations. We honestly felt like our flesh and muscles were being cooked, roasted, prepared for a cannabalistic feast for unknown guests. I cannot recommend this for anyone, for any reason. There is no remedy to getting it off your skin; water reactivates it. I cannot understand why this is available. "First do no harm" should be revisited.”