User Reviews for Capsaicin

Also known as: Analgesic Balm with Capsaicin, Axsain, Capsagel Extra Strength, Capsagel Maximum Strength, Capsicum Oleoresin, Capsin, Capzasin, Capzasin Back and Body, Capzasin-HP, Capzasin-HP Arthritis Formula, Capzasin-P, Castiva Warming, Dolorac, Drs Cream, GNP Capsaicin, ...show all 35 brand names

Learn more about Capsaicin.

Capsaicin Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 223 medications used in the treatment of Osteoarthritis.

Reviews for Capsaicin to treat Osteoarthritis

"I recommend this product if you have pain. I would like to say that this is the best of two evils, because it burns at the start when you first start to use it. It is really important to read the instructions to use it properly. But nice to relocate the pain a little. For my part, the product works very well. However, if you do not have major pain, the product will be worse for you. Anyway, a great product to measure your pain level "

MyAngelwings October 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"If I could post a picture of what this cream did to me! Picture the worst burning EVER! It took several wipes and a shower to get it off my back and it still had bad pain from middle to the tailbone area which was red. I was in SO much pain from this medicine it felt like my skin was on fire. I tried putting lidocaine spray on it and the the spray just melted onto my skin"

Amanda e September 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm not sure it helped at all but when I woke up in the middle of the night sweating, the burning sensation it caused was intense! Very painful. An ice pack helped but I'm afraid to use again after this."

Lilsly (taken for less than 1 month) February 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used capsaicin for relief of neck pain (eventually resolved by surgery) & now for very painful arthritic knees. It was very effective for the neck pain AFTER i slowly built up to effective dose. Currently trying to reach therapeutic level for knees -- slow going due to hot weather & sweating. Capsaicin can cause very bad burning pain if it gets wet during bathing or sweating before one has built tolerance. In fact, i swore off it twice due to agonizing burning before learning to manage the early months of use much more carefully & start low & slow (as I'm doing now with knees). However it's a great pain treatment once you learn to use it carefully & build tolerance. Wash hands twice or use gloves to avoid possible eye contact!"

Gracie99 July 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have put a '5' because I have only been using it for a few days and according to the label it usually takes weeks to work. I would say a couple of things to the other people posting on here. 1. If you think the burning pain (which is definitely there) is unbearable then I can reassure you that your joint pain isn't that bad because comparatively the burning is absolutely nothing compared to the joint pain. I have seen people put comment's like "the worst experience of my life" - You have a pretty good pain free life then. 2. You have to use regularly or it WONT WORK. if you don't use it 3-5 times per day it will just give you local cutaneous burning and will not go through your skin and start helping the desensitising of your nerves."

BIG G 1990 July 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Capzasin-P (capsaicin): "I have arthritis in my knee, decided to try Capzasin, used a very small amount, It literally set me on "fire" I immediately jumped in the tub and drenched with cold water, that didn't even stop the burning, it lasted for hours, thought I was gonna have to go to the ER!!!"

Fk July 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Probably best to do a small patch test before you use this product. Also, different Capsaicin preparations are more potent than others. I have bursitus in my shoulder and it is very painful particularly when I sleep wrong on my shoulder. Capsaicin is the only relief I get. Now able to sleep through the night, yes, it burns, that's the point, it exhausts the pain receptors in the area. Best product but you have to expect to burn, that's what it does, that's how it works."

Mendelsohne (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Used it last night for knee pain and it started burning so bad it felt like my skin was melting off! I would rather deal with the knee pain than ever use this stuff again!"

Worst experience ever February 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Capzasin-HP (capsaicin): "When I lay in bed with osteoarthritis pain and nerve pain...this tends to give a warming sensation to a bit burning which takes my mind off the nerve pain and after a bit (and with my pain meds) I can fall asleep. If you like hot showers in the morning it may warm up a bit while in the hot shower. I wont live without it. I only use it at bed time and when the pain is to great to fall asleep."

SadieMarie (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 10, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zostrix (capsaicin): "Works best after a few doses."

Ran411 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 28, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zostrix (capsaicin): "I applied two doses the first day I got it, to my thumbs, about eight hours apart. Yes, it's true that it's easy to get in your eyes, nose or mouth, and it burns. Even after a shower, I could still feel it on my skin. I expected to have to reapply it each day. But here's the funny part: The pain in my hands is nowhere near as intense as it was, even two days after that initial application. Why? It's welcomed, but kinda weird."

Mkbagwell (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm a 57 year old female with moderate - severe osteoarthritis of the hip and back. I have been using Capsaicin gel for 2 weeks and the pain has subsided tremendously. Experienced burning sensation the first day only. It has given me back parts of my reason for living."

lifelover November 8, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 61, female, and have had arthritis in my hands, knees and feet over the past ten years. Since using capsaicin over the last two years I've found tremendous relief. It burned when I first started using it, but the burning "wore off" after a week, and I find it totally painless to use. I apply it in the morning as well as in the evening. I learned to NOT use my fingers to apply it. Instead, I use the topside of my thumbs, between the first and second joints from the tip of the thumb. That way, I don't accidentally get capsaicin in my eyes (especially when applying my contact lenses an hour later!). I highly recommend capsaicin and suggest sticking with it, even if at first it burns. It's well worth trying."

Anonymous July 24, 2010

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Capzasin-HP (capsaicin): "I prefer the initial pain of application than the pain in my spine, hip, and legs. Be careful going out in the sun, even the day after application some residual effects will be felt. Wear latex or plastic gloves when applying and wash your hands after applying. If you touch a part of your body that has capzasin on it, be sure to rewash your hands and DO NOT touch your eyes without washing your hands!"

musicalspirit July 19, 2010