User Reviews for Risperdal

Asperger Syndrome
4.4

Summary of Risperdal reviews 5.9 165 reviews

Reviews for Risperdal

For Bipolar Disorder "Have been taking Risperodal for almost a year now. I tried Seroquel before for some months but it made me super drowsy throughout the day and I couldn’t function. I take Risperdal for severe depression, mania, and extreme hallucinations. I would see cartoons and things appear before me, hear voices/sounds in my ears, or feel things on me for (someone patting my back or grabbing my legs when I’m alone in the room). I started off taking 0.5 mg once a day then upped it to 1mg. Was on 1mg for a while. It worked well for me. I stopped seeing hallucinations and for the most part my mania and depression and lessened or gone away. I woke up every day feeling refreshed. Even my period cramps were usually less painful than before. Everything would go downhill when I decided to stop the medication, all the symptoms would come back quickly and badly. Didn’t gain significant weight from the meds and I’ve had moderate acne. Seems like it’s going to be really hard to leave this medication."

Jello June 8, 2019

For Mania "Couldn't sweat/exercise. I Had horrible tardive dyskinesia (flexing my lips all the time), tremors, mood swings, black spots in vision, overheating, overeating, dropped out of college because I could no longer write and even had trouble focusing on simple reading. Then I stopped drinking 6 cups of coffee a day and succumbed to the med and all it did was put me away for 12+ hours. I couldn't do anything but eat. I thought my life was over. When I came off the drug, even when I tapered, I experienced hallucinations (more black spots, fuzzy vision). A lot of my "delusions" were fear that I had MS. This phobia ruled my life until all of the risperdal was out of my system along with the rebound anxiety with it. Took it for 4 months and gained 70 lbs. I feel like this kind of medication is overprescribed all of the time. I'm back on track with my life now and I'll never touch another med of this classification again. I feel insulted that someone tried to do this to me."

Kinde May 29, 2019

For Asperger Syndrome "My son was given risperidone at ~age 6. Took it for 2 weeks. He became a blob. Sure, the teachers loved it. He was sweet, not hyper, easy to manage. Downside? Yeah, he was a blob of a kid just sitting there dull as can be and then on his tiny frame gained TEN POUNDS IN TWO WEEKS. Two. He couldn't even put his jeans on! OMG. I took him off of it... and he was back to being hyper, laughing, fun but annoying. So, suck it up, teachers. He just is what he is. Needless to say today, a few years later, after ABA therapy and other therapy he's just fine. Stay away. I also found out that Risperdal causes boys to sprout breasts and lactate. The next psych we had said NEVER put a boy on that medication... they grow breasts. So yeah, not a good med for us."

MommyOne May 26, 2019

For Asperger Syndrome "This drug for me was horrific. I was on it a couple of years ago and after only being on it a couple of weeks I ended up in hospital with a high fever and severe confusion , the doctors thought at first I had meningitis bit it turns out I was having a bad reaction to drug. I couldn't remember a lot of things and had kidney problems. The medical staff were very rude and secretive about my reaction the the drug. PLEASE BE CAREFUL TAKING THIS DRUG, ask plenty of questions and get started on a small dose, if anything seems off please tell your doctor immediately."

Rebecca24 (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2019

For Schizophrenia "I have Psychosis NOS (Not Otherwise Specified) and I am currently taking 2 mg. once daily. My temperament is better. I am not as easily agitated and sleep better at night. Prior to Respirdal I had severe insomnia and was easily moved to anger. On the down side I gained 20 lbs in about 2 months, my affect is flat and my energy level is very low. I force myself to exercise but I seem to be experiencing muscle tiredness and some coordination problems. I plan to speak w/ my doctor for med adjustment."

Jace (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2019

For Schizophrenia "I was forced to end taking haldol 2.5 mg/night after 27 1/2 years -over 10000 days- because they stopped making it. I was prescribed risperdal. I started at 2mg a day and they reduced the dosage to 1 mg. I also stopped cogentin and Prozac because of strong discomfort. After around 40-50 days of risperdal I didn't sleep as well and felt utterly horrible like a zombie- like it was torturing and destroying my brain. I came to my senses and rid myself of all medication whatsoever since it seemed to be harming my brain and not helping me sleep and have recovered from all mental illness in about 5 days and am getting somewhat less sleep but feel a lot better overall. So the medicine was good in that it convinced me to get rid of it and all medication and completely recover. I believe people who take risperdal should be reviewed after 30-50 days or so and given the option to stop taking it and maybe all medication if they have horrible zombie like side effects like I did."

Hef April 12, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "I started taking this few years after I had my son and after some months I started to notice it made me start too lactate again with chest tenderness and swelling. Needless to say I had to stop taking this medication."

Jynxette (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 9, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "After some months on Risperdal, I developed swallowing problems, which led to anxiety. Lowering dose improved but did not eliminate the problem. Later I noticed that I was very tense all the time. I would notice it and make myself relax and then in a few seconds I realized I was all tensed up again. I developed frozen muscles in my forehead. It felt like they had very little feeling..I don't know what you call it but I saw it was listed as a side effect once I looked it up. It went away when I stopped the med. When I stopped this medication, I discovered I had a problem with my tongue. It is like it's too thick or something and doesn't form words as well, so I have a very mild speech impediment now. It is more difficult to speak and I have to be very deliberate in speaking in order to speak clearly and without a lisp."

Shereen (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2019

For Schizoaffective Disorder "Took two milligrams for one day. Nausea for several days. I actually broke down and cried for hours because it was the closest to torture I had been. I didn't really need it anyway."

BazingaXDDDDDLAMO (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2019

For Schizophrenia "This has helped a lot for my daughter's hallucinations. She was not diagnosed with schizophrenia, so her hallucinations are related to either her epilepsy or something else. There have been a couple of times where she stopped taking it because she felt better, but then the hallucinations would come back. She had to go on the highest dose after she stopped taking it the first time, so if you find this works for you or a loved one, just make sure they don't stop abruptly."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 5, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "Overall, I really like risperdal. It's easy to take with minimal side effects. I take the generic version for Bipolar 2 and have been trying over 30 meds for 5 years. I used to take Seroquel and Divlaprox but they stopped working for me and I was too tired. My mood is the most stable I've ever been and I am level headed and clear. I take .5 mg every night and find this is a good dose because I used to take more and was very out of it. This helps me sleep but not be drowsy. Honestly, it's not perfect as I'm dealing with depression currently. I tried prozac but it made me suicidal/dissociate and zombie like and less like myself. Because of this I just recently stopped prozac but I plan to try other antidepressants with this to help my depression. Overall, I love that I mostly feel like myself again. I just want to care about life more now and be less apathetic. DBT therapy helps. Also, acne on my body/face from this but no weight gain so I can't complain too much."

Cara (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 4, 2019

For Schizophrenia "Just my experience, your mileage may vary. Odd tunnel vision as it takes effect. After about 2 weeks, expect your wife to be very “unsatisfied.” If your job involves mental math or coding, this will become much more challenging. It dulls your emotions even beyond what your horrible affliction will. I became an impotent robot with no processing power. The cure, at least for me, was worse than the disease. I have since learned to ignore, or at least recognize and not take them as absolute reality. Mental gymnastics and proper training are equally effective; the side effects of Respirdal are life altering in a bad way."

Meh (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 19, 2019

For Schizophrenia "My husband was just prescribed this however he is ALREADY drowsy, unmotivated and gaining weight. I am looking for a better option for someone who has been hearing many voices for years??? Please help"

COCOA (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "I took the lowest dose. Once. It caused parkinsonism and extremely slowed movement. I fell down a flight of stairs because of movement problems it caused. Needless to say I never took it again after that."

AJ (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2019

"This medication has saved my child’s life. He has no diagnosis but he has always been an extremely angry, irritable and withdrawn kid. Despite extensive testing, we haven’t been able to find a medical cause. He has now been on .25 milligrams of this medication for 2 months along with the same SSRI he’s been on for a year. As soon as we added this medication he was able to get back into a regular classroom at school. He started talking to us, joking around and asking us if he can have friends over. He has become such a loving and sweet kid who laughs and has fun. The teachers and therapists we work with are all so thrilled with the positive changes. His dose is very low so the only side effect seems to be a slight increase in his appetite. But even at this low dose we are seeing huge changes. For the first time, our son actually seems happy."

boymom-newyork January 5, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been on this med for almost two months. I started on a low dose but lately I have had to increase the dose to get the most benefits from it. Initially it will make me tired but my acute mania would return after a couple weeks. Been on 4mg for 3 weeks but have noticed that weight gain has been an issue for me, but I'll just have to watch what I eat and exercise more. Currently jumped to 5mg and willing to give it a try. Not too many side effects like somnolence , anxiety, and fatigue which goes away within two weeks. However, I take other meds so I'm trying to figure out if I need a mood stabilizers or other meds that I'm taking. Just want to feel better and finish my degree as an adult student without the excessive tiredness. But I've on Seroquel before, but I got type 2 diabetes from it. For restlessness I take cogentin and it works great."

DJetts (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 25, 2018

"I was prescribed Risperdal to augment Prozac in 2004. I should never have been prescribed this medication. I returned several times for increases in Risperdal and was never advised of the potential irreversible effects and the difficulty I would experience trying to discontinue this medication 10 years later. The side effects discontinuing this medication affected my physical, emotional and cognitive wellbeing. I submitted an "Adverse Reaction" to the Canadian Health Authority. This medication has a place in medicine but was not appropriate for someone who never experiences psychotic episodes. Antipsychotics are not appropriate for anxiety and depression."

PsychLPN (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 2, 2018

For Schizoaffective Disorder "Absolutely horrible drug! I had worsened serious depression and severe akathisia from it. Agitation, irritability anxiety, aggression also came into play. I have tried many antipsychotics on the market and this one is by far the worst (Now on Quitepine and Abilify - much better!). No redeeming qualities whatsoever."

Metalstorm October 15, 2018

For Schizophrenia "I got put on this medication for psychosis, delusions in December of 2017. I started at 0.5mg and slowly raised to 3mg. So far, this is a decent drug. I feel like the way I was before my psychotic episodes began, and it's very nice. The downside is high prolactin levels and slight weight gain (roughly 10lbs). My doctor and I are in the process of getting off of it (currently at 2mg) but this drug did the trick to placate delusions. I would recommend but not for long term."

Hell yah October 2, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I suffer from major depressive disorder and ended up in the psychiatric hospital with thoughts of suicide and extremely bad depression. They prescribed me risperdal 2mg I started off at 140lbs since being on the medication I am 230lb almost double my weight and have gained puffy tender breasts. As for the pill working it works 100% at what its suppose to do. If your extremely in need of help and don't care for the side effects go for it."

Bsf (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 4, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "At the beginning of taking this medication I was on 0.5mg twice a day. Now my doctor upped it to 1.0mg twice a day...and boy do I feel drowsy all day long! I even took a pregnancy test because I was so tired. But no its the increase in the dosage. If I didn't have 2 young children dependent on me I would have never got out of bed since yesterday. I feel that exhausted. I will go back to the doctor ASAP, I can't walk around like a zombie. I don't know what feeling is worse."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 26, 2018

"I was prescribed risperidone for anxiety because all the other medication I tried weren't working or had bad side effects . I take a low dose of risperdone about 1 mg a day . It's the best medication I've ever taken for both anxiety and I find it also helps my depression a lot as well. It makes me feel more motivated and can get through most of the feelings that I was struggle in with everyday . The only side effect I've noticed with the dose I take is a bit of drowsiness but I usually take caffeine in the morning and helps as far as that. Other than that it works really well for me ."

Katie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 26, 2018

"My daughter was prescribed this drug for depression at age 25 by her primary physician. The result was almost catatonic, detached, had to quit her job in education, is still blackballed by the local district for quitting (they did not offer her family leave) and truly has lost at least 9 years of her life. She was/is not bi polar. or any of the other diseases listed for use. We should have sued. BEWARE OF THIS DRUG AND ITS USES. We almost lost our daughter to enhanced symptoms."

nessdiv (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2018

For Schizophrenia "Was put on risperdal when first hospitalized and diagnosed with schizophrenia. Gained about 100 lbs in a year. Felt dull cognitively. Slept the majority of the day. No psychotic symptoms. Delusions and hallucinations gone. No agitation. No anxiety tremors."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 3, 2018

For Schizophrenia "I was prescribed Risperdal after voluntarily admitting myself into a psychiatric hospital in Connecticut back in '17. Risperdal was the first antipsychotic drug that I was administered during my stay, and while I did experience some relief from my anxiety, I would say that the side-effects were more negative than positive. Upon entering the hospital, I was aware of my surroundings and completely aware of reality. At time I was also unsure of my own diagnosis so it wasn't easy taking the Risperdal. I was officially diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder and paranoid ideation. Upon release I found the side effects to be negative. I was sleeping the majority of the day at my house, and had a difficult time finding motivation to leave the house. Drug is incredibly powerful and while I think it can be used for very severe illnesses, I wouldn't recommend it until someone is thoroughly evaluated and the proper diagnosis is made."

K-Man July 24, 2018