User Reviews for Risperdal

5.2

Autism

Summary of Risperdal reviews 6.0 146 reviews

Reviews for Risperdal

For Schizophrenia "Was put on risperdal when first hospitalized and diagnosed with schizophrenia. Gained about 100 lbs in a year. Felt dull cognitively. Slept the majority of the day. No psychotic symptoms. Delusions and hallucinations gone. No agitation. No anxiety tremors."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 3, 2018

For Schizophrenia "I was prescribed Risperdal after voluntarily admitting myself into a psychiatric hospital in Connecticut back in '17. Risperdal was the first antipsychotic drug that I was administered during my stay, and while I did experience some relief from my anxiety, I would say that the side-effects were more negative than positive. Upon entering the hospital, I was aware of my surroundings and completely aware of reality. At time I was also unsure of my own diagnosis so it wasn't easy taking the Risperdal. I was officially diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder and paranoid ideation. Upon release I found the side effects to be negative. I was sleeping the majority of the day at my house, and had a difficult time finding motivation to leave the house. Drug is incredibly powerful and while I think it can be used for very severe illnesses, I wouldn't recommend it until someone is thoroughly evaluated and the proper diagnosis is made."

K-Man July 24, 2018

For Schizophrenia "This is a life destroying drug.I have anger issues and this drug was mixed in my food by my family. I couldn't read a book, enjoy music or watch TV .My thought process became impaired.I suffered from the worst kind of akathisia, endlessly walking for seven months and had suicidal thoughts. I became drowsy, lost all motivation and couldn't care about anything. I was able to come off it after a great struggle and remained drug free for eleven years and was able to enjoy all the things I couldn't because of this drug. Unfortunately, however, my siblings have again mixed it in my food as I had to stay with them. All the side effects are back and life feels like a nightmare devoid of purpose again."

aw (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 17, 2018

For Schizophrenia "19 years old, using 2 ml instead of 3 1/2ml and actually 4 ml was initially prescribed by a psychiatrist. It was because I was hearing voices and was paranoid and smoking marijuana almost every day for a period of 6 months. I got as side effects stiffness, spasms, trembling, increase in saliva, decrease in sexual ability. I have been taking now 1 pill every other day until I don't take it anymore since the doctor said that I had to take it at least for a year without smoking to find out if the problem goes away. I'm looking for another pill to control the these symptoms and I am not smoking or hearing voices anymore. Read all the comments but I do not constipate or gain weight. Since I lowered the dose I am more sociable, smile and confident but the spams worry me since they happen like 3 or 4 times a day."

FA (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 28, 2018

For Schizophrenia "This medication saved my life. Been taking it for two years following two very difficult psychosis episodes and my brain is a mess without this medication. Without it, I have very weird and intrusive thoughts about the nature of reality. Paranoid thoughts are all but gone as well. The only side effect I noticed is weight gain, which I honestly don't mind."

Charles120 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 22, 2018

For Schizophrenia "I was forced into a Canadian mental hospital in the late 90s when I was 13 years old (I'm male by the way). They woke me up in bed and gave me a cup with pills and told me it was to help me with sleep. It was later on that they told me that the pills were risperdal. When I was on Respirdal I gained a lot of weight and was drowsy. I even developed minor gynecomastia that still remained 3 years later. I'm in my 30s now and the gynecomastia surgery isn't covered by any insurance companies. What was covered was the ultrasound and mammogram. I don't have the money to pay for the glandular breast tissue removal surgery. People notice my male breast growth and tell me that I have breasts. My doctor says my gynecomastia is noticeable when I take my shirt off. People who know me notice breast growth through my t shirt. Can the Canadian Government cover the cost of breast removal surgery if I am required to take antipsychotics that side effects are that grow breasts."

Eli White May 15, 2018

For Schizophrenia "I find it helps in terms of what I wanted with the voices and all but the side effects make me very drowsy and tired and I can barely muster the energy to do anything in my day. My moods been pretty low or up and down too. I find myself to still have a slight paranoia of others. Even when I first starting the meds the first few times I believed I was being poisoned but I usually felt like everyone offering me drinks or food were trying to harm me so not really anything new there. That part has calmed down a fair bit. I hope one day they can find a way to completely rid me of this so I don't have to rely on medications all the time cause I sometimes forget to take them or I can't find them on occasion. I'm glad I'm back on them though after I was initially told by the mental hospital that I'm not to have them anymore which mucked me up. I hope I'm not forced to stop again cause this is honestly my peace."

Ashley Dwyer (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Works quite well but beware of side effects. I'm an autistic person and also bipolar 1 with psychotic features. Before I started this I had horrible episodes of mania and depression and it made a huge difference. I had almost no maniac episodes, decreased irritability, and it almost completely eliminated the auditory hallucinations. However the weight gain was unbearable, I gained 80 pounds in a year that I still can't lose and diet and exercise did nothing to stop it. I didn't change medications sooner because it worked so well that I was scared to stop it and I was convinced eventually the weight gain would stop, but it didn't. Stopped my monthly cycle completely, though I wasn't complaining about that."

Cade (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 5, 2018

For Schizophrenia "It did nothing for my delusions and psychotic behavior. Made me gain 40 lbs in 2 months. I now have restless legs and arms that haven’t gone away even though I am not taking it anymore."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2018

For Schizophrenia "This drug did not react well with my body chemistry, but I didn't have any delusions on it or for 4 years afterward. I gained over 120 lbs in a year and a few months on it. I slept about 14 hours a day. It made me apathetic, not a normal trait for me. I just didn't care about things. I stopped having my period and developed a lot of symptoms of metabolic syndrome. Oh, I had major carb cravings, like for fast food pizza, that I never usually have. I didn't feel like myself. I have been diagnosed with different things but believe I have major depression with psychotic features."

Jess (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 20, 2018

For Schizophrenia "I was taking this medication to combat features of psychosis with my depression and PTSD. It made me start lactating and gain like 10 lbs. it worked well for my paranoia and nightmares though!"

kayraa (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2018

For Mania "Pros: Decreased delusions, decreased hallucinations due to mania (Diagnosed Bipolar 1). I felt calmer mentally and physically throughout the day even though I would take the Risperidone at night. I started out at 4 mg (to kick mania in the butt) for the first 2-3 months and then tapered off to 1 mg at bedtime. Slept 7-8 hrs every night for almost 1 yr!! Which was great because I have insomnia too. Cons: Lactation (lasted 1 week), Amenorrhea (missed period) effects only 2% of women and I was one of them, straining when urinating (happened 2 times), high cholesterol, weight gain, and muscle spasms. I rated this drug 5 out of 10 because of the side effects. Since being off the drug I got my period back very intense, my cholesterol is getting slowly back to normal, lost the weight, and muscle spasms are pretty minor to almost none."

LG23 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 22, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I have bipolar disorder, been hospitalised and prescribed risperidone 4mg. It made me very ill and extremely paranoid. Experienced more panic attacks. My legs and arms would go numb. I had such a bad experience on this, I currently am lithium now and finding this much better"

M (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2018

For Autism "I have grown breasts from this pill. I swear if they don't take me off this I'm gonna cry. I take a 10mg tablet and my chest size has grown and Im skinny. I'm only 18. Why can’t autism be more important researching for a cure then cancer."

BobbyVesarce January 18, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I was hospitalized for major depressive disorder and placed on resperidone 1 mg and Celexa to combat depression, anxiety, and suicidal thoughts. My feelings are that resperidone made me feel like a zombie, caused my thinking to be slower and less clear. I put on 50 pounds in the course of 20 months on this medication and that is even with regular exercise. So I do not think resperidone is worth the terrible side effects that it brings. I am now on Zoloft and coming off resperidone completely."

EllaCB January 17, 2018

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I've been on this for three years and love it. No delusions, no paranoia. Side effects are non existent for me. No weight gain. I'm never tired. I sleep 6-7 hours of sleep each night and feel fine. Since being on Risperdone I've run two half marathons, work 40 hours per week and haven't had symptoms in over a year."

8BitHero (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 15, 2017

For Schizophrenia "This drug works for psychotic symptoms but its terrible in many ways! For example sexual dysfunction... I'm switching to abilify in a few months and hoping for the best."

schizo09 December 1, 2017

For Schizophrenia "Three years of constipation on the meds just broke some mechanism related to bowel movements three years ago when I was on them, now on or off them now I don't go. I've read hundreds of other cases of this happening with this. I also have severe IBS from the meds and can't eat anything but fruit and vegetables without problems. Brain damage : I attempted to come of this med (risperdone) and tapered and still ended up with bad brain damage. I no longer have much in the way of thoughts or can think complex things, or higher processing, I can remember very little (I was incredibly smart before) this is the number one thing making me suicidal. I also can no longer feel what things evoke or derive enjoyment from many things. Severe sleep problems too."

Avoid this med at all cost November 23, 2017

For Schizophrenia "This makes you restless after long term use. Good at controlling symptoms if you be patient with it. Ask your Dr to reduce dosage if you feel better after 3 years. Good Luck"

مجتبی (taken for 10 years or more) October 8, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "Risperidone has really helped me. I used to be either depressed or manic. My thoughts are clear and my mood is stable now. I would like to mention that I have not gain a single pound on this drug. Always, always, always... take this right before you lay down at night to go to sleep. Take this pill, then lay down and go to bed. That way, you will sleep your way through the munchies. I take it as though it is a sleeping pill and it works for me.. I just wanted to share, in hopes that this will help someone else, struggling with weight gain."

Sweetmelissa5250 September 30, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "This medication gave me severe anxiety and disassociation-like feelings. I felt as if I was being dragged from reality. It was used as an antipsychotic for my bipolar disorder. I highly recommend you try Abilify instead if you have similar symptoms like I did."

kayyyyyyyy (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on Risnia/Risperdal for a few years now. Currently on a dosage of 2mg of the generic Risnia. As an answer to Bipolar Disorder with psychotic features this drug works wonders and I have been without relapse for 3 years now. My biggest frustration however is the weight gain. I have put on 8 kg during this time and I eat like a bird. I have tried a number of diets and exercise 3-4 times per week. My psychiatrist mentioned slightly decreasing the dosage every second day and see if that helps. I will try this as soon as I get a new script with 1mg pills. Can anyone recommend a good alternative?"

NormalLife (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 30, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "Saved my life. Was put on this in the hospital and my depression was out of the suicidal level in three days. About 5 days on it now and have had some recurring moderate depression, however my pdoc says it should take full effect in 2-4 weeks."

greenfish77 (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2017

For Schizophrenia "Risperdal has made my life manageable again. I suffer from PTSD and schizophrenia primarily with thought disorder (although I have hallucinated and heard voices). I used to scream in my sleep and thought everyone was trying to kill me. When I started risperdal the terrifying thoughts stopped and my behavior returned to normal. I take risperdal with a combination of gabapentin and zoloft. I now have a very good job and good relationships with my friends, family, and co-workers. There are downsides to this drug such as weight gain. I gained a lot of weight the first two years I started taking risperdal. It is important to note that I have since lost a good bit of the weight I have gained."

Charlotte9688 August 16, 2017

For Schizophrenia "Please please do not take this drug it destroyed my life,once you take it you are completely dependant on it and trying to stop it can cause brain damage,It is the most horrific med."

Donttakethismed July 31, 2017