User Reviews for Risperdal

Learn more about Risperdal.

Mania 4 reviews 15 medications

Autism 20 reviews 7 medications

5.2
Summary of Risperdal reviews 126 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Risperdal

For Bipolar Disorder "This medication gave me severe anxiety and disassociation-like feelings. I felt as if I was being dragged from reality. It was used as an antipsychotic for my bipolar disorder. I highly recommend you try Abilify instead if you have similar symptoms like I did."

kayyyyyyyy (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on Risnia/Risperdal for a few years now. Currently on a dosage of 2mg of the generic Risnia. As an answer to Bipolar Disorder with psychotic features this drug works wonders and I have been without relapse for 3 years now. My biggest frustration however is the weight gain. I have put on 8 kg during this time and I eat like a bird. I have tried a number of diets and exercise 3-4 times per week. My psychiatrist mentioned slightly decreasing the dosage every second day and see if that helps. I will try this as soon as I get a new script with 1mg pills. Can anyone recommend a good alternative?"

NormalLife (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Saved my life. Was put on this in the hospital and my depression was out of the suicidal level in three days. About 5 days on it now and have had some recurring moderate depression, however my pdoc says it should take full effect in 2-4 weeks."

greenfish77 (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizophrenia "Risperdal has made my life manageable again. I suffer from PTSD and schizophrenia primarily with thought disorder (although I have hallucinated and heard voices). I used to scream in my sleep and thought everyone was trying to kill me. When I started risperdal the terrifying thoughts stopped and my behavior returned to normal. I take risperdal with a combination of gabapentin and zoloft. I now have a very good job and good relationships with my friends, family, and co-workers. There are downsides to this drug such as weight gain. I gained a lot of weight the first two years I started taking risperdal. It is important to note that I have since lost a good bit of the weight I have gained."

Charlotte9688 August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizophrenia "Please please do not take this drug it destroyed my life,once you take it you are completely dependant on it and trying to stop it can cause brain damage,It is the most horrific med."

Donttakethismed July 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "This is ahorrid med. Made me hallucinate and tons of other stuff"

BentBlue (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizophrenia "Please avoid this medication at all cost,it is impossible to get off. I have tried twice and ended up in total disaster.The first time I tried to get off it I end up completely constipated and three years later I am still badly constipated. It changed some mechanism responsible for that during withdrawal. The second time I tried to come off it I ended up with Anhedonia which Is an inability to enjoy things, when I look at food now it's like looking at a rock, no reaction. These drugs cause total dependancy, completely change the brain and cause brain damage and are not the answer. Please just see a shaman/healer and get an auric sweep and clear out the negative entities that cause schizophrenia. Its worked for thousands of years."

Lavenderr (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "This is the best medicine for sleep and having no manic problems. But I was 98 pounds (super tiny) now 203lb from risperdal. What is the point of being on something if it works for biploar but makes you obese?"

risperdalmakesufat (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been taking this medication for about a year. I started off with 0.5 mg. I was still having some evening anxiety so I asked to be moved to 1 mg dosage. I still had occasional anxiety in the evenings, so I asked to be moved to 1-2 mg dosage. I find that moving up to a 2 mg dosage causes me some drowsy issues and I am currently tweaking it to where I need it. My anxiety is like nothing I have ever seen or heard anyone experience. I know there are other people out there that have the same issues. I think it helps stabilize my highs and lows. I am more a bipolar type 2 person, which means my depressions are slight and my hypo-mania is somewhat great because I feel I can take on the world."

David29303 June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I'm not actually bipolar-I take it as an add-on to and SSRI for OCD, General Anxiety Disorder, and depression, but that wasn't in the categories offered. It works wonderful for this for me. My OCD is very much under control taking this in conjunction with Prozac-there are so many things I just could not do and was so afraid of because of the OCD before getting on Prozac and I could do even more after adding Risperdal to it. I take 2 mgs, but I usually take it a few hours before bedtime because it does make me drowsy. I haven't gained weight from it and really haven't had any side effects."

Gastroparesis Girl (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Autism "Honestly this medication was awful and the doctor who prescribed it failed to mention that it made it impossible to think. I think it's abusive to give this medication out for people who are not schizophrenic. It's just another way for people to take away autonomy and to force us autistic people into harmful therapies that deny us our humanity."

batch (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Autism "My son is autistic he is 10 years old, my son's Dr recommend risperdal for him because of his aggressive behaviors. After 3 months on the medication he has been more agitated and he put on 15 pounds. So the Dr wants to increase the medicine. I will not be doing this increased"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizophrenia "I wish I could give Risperidal/Risperidone 0 stars. Worst medication I've ever had to take. Made me so exhausted despite getting 12 hours of sleep a night and made me gain 30lbs. This medication slapped the heart right out of me and I was a zombie, devoid of any emotion for months. I wouldn't slip this to my worst enemy."

HannaKK March 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizophrenia "This medicine helps with my schizophrenia, calms me down but that's about it. But the worst things about it are the freaking side effects! Look I took this medicine in first grade for irritability, took it again in middle school now I'm 20 and started back up again a few months ago..it makes me soooooo sleepy that I'm falling into things, I get severe panic attacks and I'm hungry as hell hence why I gained 11 lbs. Oh and I have this funny, unbearable feeling in my right leg and it's sooo uncomfortable omg! But on the other hand its not as bad as latuda or haldol but its worth it i guess"

aria9671 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizophrenia "calms me down too much"

scrabble queen (taken for 10 years or more) March 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I left a review once before, but have to add to it. I took this medicine for awhile & it helped stabilize my mood. Everything was great, until one day I noticed I was secreting breast milk. The doctor checked my prolactin level & it was very high. It was in the 100's. I had to stop taking this medicine, which is unfortunate."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Was only on 2mg of Risperdal for two months. While it did handle my moods and anger outbursts almost completely, it did nothing to help with insomnia, which should have been my clue that it was too activating for me. A month after starting this med I started having heart palpitations (I've never had a heart problem) that continued to get worse until I had been to the ER twice, family Dr once, with an appt scheduled with a cardiologist, legitimately thinking something major was wrong. Two dr's suggested that Risperdal could be causing it, so I began tapering. Two weeks later I am completely off the Risperdal, back on Zyprexa and my heart is fine now. Very scary for me."

BBP007 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizophrenia "I don't have schizophrenia I am undiagnosed. I was having issues with family and certain things in my life. Taking this meds made me feel worse with most of my symptoms. I had moments where I felt over tranquillized and trouble communicating how I really felt. I know I felt better before the medication. Now that I am off of it my list of negative side effects is quite large. I wouldn't reccomend this medication to anyone. Especially if you have an endless diagnosis in the first place. Be careful believing what your Drs say. They get all of their recommendations from pharmaceutical companies. Once I was off of this medication Drs. Refuse to listen to me. They just recommend I take it again or take other drugs. They refuse to admit their mistakes. They refuse to acknowledge anything."

HopelessAgain December 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Autism "My son is high functioning autistic. His behavior specialist recommend risperdol .05mg daily for my son for aggression and violent out bursts. After being on it for a week we noticed that he is much calmer. We have noticed some side effects such as. Hyper attentiveness, nightmares, muscle spasms and itchiness."

G-man's mom (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "After going through my third manic episode I was prescribed 6mg of resperidal which immediately made me feel like an absolute zombie. I couldn't think clearly, was extremely tired all of the time l, and was unhappy. Through the course of about 4 months my dosage is now 1 mg and I don't feel the severe side effects. Good medicine in controlling the mania but in high dosages will make you feel like a zombie"

Tirp (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizophrenia "I started risperidone after my last hospitalization for PTSD with psychosis. Before risperidone I suffered from insomnia, nightmares, and paranoia that lead me to full blown psychotic state. I now live a more normal life with few symptoms. I take risperidone with sertraline and clonazepam at night then pass out for about 10 hours. I suffer from mental fog and lack of emotion on the drug. I don't fully wake up until about 4 pm after my afternoon nap. It has also caused my periods to stop and enlarged breasts that leak once I up'd to 2 mg. Going to try ziprazidone next to see if I can have better quality of life."

Anonymous vet October 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizophrenia "I was on this "medicine" for 4 years ( ages 14 to 18) it is honestly one of the worst medicines i have ever taken. It not only sapped me of all of my strength and will power, but it increased my agitation to unseen levels ( i had a pretty bad temper before this but i had learned to control it) it mad me gain over 150lbs in that 4 year period( i was at 120lbs when i started it and 375lbs when i stopped taking it)it also got me to the point i felt nothing but anger and when i wasnt riled up i was a blank mask of indifference, not only that but i have been off of it for 4 years now and i still have trouble controlling my anger and weight. Plus i have this problem where i can't stop moving(mostly my legs and the right side of my neck)"

Dark Messiah September 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I was reckless my heart pounded and nose bled every day worst antipsychotic I have tried"

Fido hammerfist August 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "This was the WORST drug I have been on since I was diagnosed in 1998. I was on the injection for about six months, gained a lot of weight (50 pounds) and had a horrible gallstones flare up in which I was diagnosed with the condition (after fainting in public). I was put back on abilify and prefer the oral pill every day to the injection! One nurse didn't inject me correctly and I developed sciatica for longer than I was on the medication!!"

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I have been on this medication longer than any other medication I have ever been on. Its been four and a half years, mostly on and I feel like this medication let me sleep better than all other medications I had been on until Saphris. I gained weight, but not too much about 25 pounds over the course of four and half years. I am a man, and I have noticed enlargement of the breasts development of female breast tissue. I'm coming off Risperidone now and I will see what the withdrawal effects are. Last time I came off meds I had a manic episode which was quite embarrassing. I held a job at Walmart for 2 and a half years. I would say though that the biggest drawback is its effect on diminishing the user's willpower."

JediBill (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 4, 2016