User Reviews for Risperdal

Learn more about Risperdal.

Mania 4 reviews 14 medications

Autism 17 reviews 7 medications

5.5
Summary of Risperdal reviews 104 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Risperdal

For Bipolar Disorder "I was reckless my heart pounded and nose bled every day worst antipsychotic I have tried"

Fido hammerfist August 19, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "This was the WORST drug I have been on since I was diagnosed in 1998. I was on the injection for about six months, gained a lot of weight (50 pounds) and had a horrible gallstones flare up in which I was diagnosed with the condition (after fainting in public). I was put back on abilify and prefer the oral pill every day to the injection! One nurse didn't inject me correctly and I developed sciatica for longer than I was on the medication!!"

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 19, 2016

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I have been on this medication longer than any other medication I have ever been on. Its been four and a half years, mostly on and I feel like this medication let me sleep better than all other medications I had been on until Saphris. I gained weight, but not too much about 25 pounds over the course of four and half years. I am a man, and I have noticed enlargement of the breasts development of female breast tissue. I'm coming off Risperidone now and I will see what the withdrawal effects are. Last time I came off meds I had a manic episode which was quite embarrassing. I held a job at Walmart for 2 and a half years. I would say though that the biggest drawback is its effect on diminishing the user's willpower."

JediBill (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 4, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "My son took Risperdal for 8 years. Then developed Tardive Dyskinesia/Dystonia He had to have surgery to insert Deep Brain Stimulator to help control his movement disorder."

Cindymh2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 22, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "It def helped with my mania,I just feel slightly off on it but it has helped a lot I take this and celexa to help with my obsessing but the risperdal made me gain weight,I went from 120-125 to 140 I'm so unhappy bout the weight gain I'm going to try to switch medications&will come back to this if I have 2,trying 2 find something better but this def helped my mania and doesn't make me real tired like seroquel and abilify or almost pass out like geodon"

Steffy Stef (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2016

For Schizophrenia "Horrrible !!! ...made me silent & socially disabled sucked happiness just feeling irritated & flat ..wasn't effective at all for my symptoms also increased anxiety dramatically when I upped the dose to 4mg..."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I am a White Female that was prescribed this med, and the results are pretty good. It is covered by my health insurance, filled at a local pharmacy, and given by a nurse that visits our home. I was concerned when I heard about side effects in others, although I feel well. I am over 21, and hopefully this was a good med for me and others. I am a nice girl, and thank you."

Miss Nicki (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 11, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I took Risperdal (Resperidone) for about five years. It effectively managed my maina/hypomania and gave me no obvious side effects towards the beginning. Pros -Effectively worked -Helped with hypomania -Helped with mania Cons -Developed Hyperprolactinemia -From ^^^ i developed amenorrhea and weight gain -Mental Slowness (things were harder to learn and harder to remember) It's a good medication that worked for me, but I had unfortunate side effects. Everyone is different so don't automatically discount the drug if you are just starting it based on everyone else's experience. It DID work for me the way it was supposed to, but I also had side effects so I had to switch it. I'm giving it 8 out of 10 because it DID manage my BPD well."

ObjectiveReview (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 6, 2016

For Schizoaffective Disorder "Beware of side effects! This medication caused Sexual side effects. Unless you are a Man who doesn't mind not being able to have ejaculation in the bedroom, don't mind growing breasts when you are a Man!, and don't mind gaining weight, DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION."

Bipolar type Schizzoaffective (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 21, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "It's helped my paranoia, delusions, irrational thoughts, and impulses to self-injure and commit suicide more than anything else. Also helps control the hypomania because I'm not on a mood stabilizer. It just also makes me extremely tired and sedated and I'm constantly hungry and have gained a lot of weight on it. I've fluctuated in my dosage from 3 milligrams to as low as 0.5. Currently taking 2 to 2.5 right now."

Invisiblecreeper (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 19, 2015

For Schizophrenia "It's impossible to stay on this med long term unless you want man boobs. My nipples have pain in them and I had sexual side effects. I also had akathisia on this med and needed to pace back and forth. It's not worth the weight gain."

Cactustomato December 8, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been taking Risperidone for over four years now. I felt great the first year but had to constantly have my dosage increased. I don't like some of the side effects (anxiety, difficulty concentrating, weight gain, faster heart rate, flu-like symptoms) but have learned to deal with them. Once you start to gain weight it is virtually impossible to lose the weight as I have tried everything. It seems you peak at a certain level."

SoP November 19, 2015

For Schizophrenia "I take 3 mg every night, slowly recovering and no side effects so far."

texasmadeboyz713 October 13, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "It worked almost immediately ! I had my dosage moved to two tablet twice a day and then back down to one tablet twice a day for every twelve hrs. The only thing Is I have a difficult time with regulating my body temperatures. When I get hot I get REALLY hot and it takes awhile to cool down. When I get cold I get REALLY colds and it gets hard to get warm again and so on. I've had the twitching of the arm and hands as well and I have been nauseous. But really it works ! I just still deal with being hot and cold at times."

Bio (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 19, 2015

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I gained 100 pounds or more . I developed diabetes, and chronic kidney disease. I also could not keep my hands for moving, and at night my feet would twirl. I chose to stop using risperdal and withdrawal was horrible. The medicine did wonders for my mental health, but the side effects was worse than my schizophrenia."

shock1992 September 15, 2015

For Autism "I have recently started my 25 yo son with autism Risperdal. He has taken it when he was 13, but due to the combination of anti depressants and no improvement in his violent behaviour we stopped, but he did improve verbally. After he refused to take anti depressants after 9 months of treatment with improvement made, he deteriorated over the next 7 months, We insisted he try Risperdal, immediate improvement, 3 weeks in and he is more verbal and calmer with no more aggression. He is sweet and happier again."

LRS179 (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2015

For Schizophrenia "Did nothing for me. Just gained alot of weight!"

matiwaaritu (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 17, 2015

For Schizophrenia "I am currently on 6mg of Risperdal and thinking about going up to 8mg. It has helped me control my impulses and stay on the right path. I was diagnosed with schizophrenia without paranoid thoughts. The paranoid thoughts only happen with street drugs. I still hear voices, but I seem to be managing them a lot better now. Both Halodol and Risperdal work extremely well for schizophrenia."

Kody Lee (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2015

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I was prescribed risperdal about 6 months ago cause I suffer from schizophrenia and anxiety but am afraid of side affects also the doctor gave me celexa. Plus I suffer with seizures drinking tegretol and many others meds I decided to give it a try for my family sake I had my first pill wishing things will work out just wanted to know Am I on the right track or is there something I should know before I expirience the unknown"

Anonymous June 27, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "It is good for mood stability"

A.samer June 20, 2015

For Schizophrenia "I was prescribed risperdal for schizophrenia ages 12-16 around 10 years ago now and it's a huge reason as to how I was able to stay in public school. Other people still noticed I was "different" but it did wonders for both visual and auditory hallucinations, racing thoughts, and paranoia. It never could fully help my delusions though. I gained a bit of weight, but what ultimately led me to no longer take the medication was the zombifying effect it had and how I felt it changed my personality. Might be okay for others though."

BrittanyJ June 16, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "This has to be the best medication (at least for me) for bipolar disorder, paranoia and anxiety. I have had bipolar episodes since my teens, now in my 30s and every time I have a bipolar episode, this medication almost works instantly, and what I mean by works instantly is snaps me out of my mania and unwanted thoughts quickly. It does take a few weeks to work fully but if you are someone who suffers from bad mania, this is the right medication for you. Luckily, I did not experience bad side effects from this medication. I have had some muscle stiffness in my neck, some twitching and muscle spasms and slight weight gain. Also, my menstrual cycle was thrown off. Also, it helped my somatic symptoms and I was able to live my life again A+++med"

somaticbipolaranxiety March 20, 2015

For Mania "Helped me through paranoia and delusions during psychosis but gave me pretty bad akathisia (inability to stay put )"

Bethas (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 2, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been taking it for 2 weeks and I love it. Best thing I've taken. I feel more level and energetic than I have in years."

kayaksummer (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "Made me "flat" and apathetic to everything. Also caused hyperprolactinemia leading to leaking breasts. Also caused me to gain 35 pounds over several months. Only marginally effective at treating the racing thoughts, etc."

Scorpionis (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 1, 2014