User Reviews for Risperdal

Learn more about Risperdal.

Mania 4 reviews 15 medications

Autism 19 reviews 7 medications

5.3
Summary of Risperdal reviews 115 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Risperdal

For Autism "My son is autistic he is 10 years old, my son's Dr recommend risperdal for him because of his aggressive behaviors. After 3 months on the medication he has been more agitated and he put on 15 pounds. So the Dr wants to increase the medicine. I will not be doing this increased"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Schizophrenia "I wish I could give Risperidal/Risperidone 0 stars. Worst medication I've ever had to take. Made me so exhausted despite getting 12 hours of sleep a night and made me gain 30lbs. This medication slapped the heart right out of me and I was a zombie, devoid of any emotion for months. I wouldn't slip this to my worst enemy."

HannaKK March 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Schizophrenia "This medicine helps with my schizophrenia, calms me down but that's about it. But the worst things about it are the freaking side effects! Look I took this medicine in first grade for irritability, took it again in middle school now I'm 20 and started back up again a few months ago..it makes me soooooo sleepy that I'm falling into things, I get severe panic attacks and I'm hungry as hell hence why I gained 11 lbs. Oh and I have this funny, unbearable feeling in my right leg and it's sooo uncomfortable omg! But on the other hand its not as bad as latuda or haldol but its worth it i guess"

aria9671 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Schizophrenia "calms me down too much"

scrabble queen (taken for 10 years or more) March 9, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I left a review once before, but have to add to it. I took this medicine for awhile & it helped stabilize my mood. Everything was great, until one day I noticed I was secreting breast milk. The doctor checked my prolactin level & it was very high. It was in the 100's. I had to stop taking this medicine, which is unfortunate."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 15, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "Was only on 2mg of Risperdal for two months. While it did handle my moods and anger outbursts almost completely, it did nothing to help with insomnia, which should have been my clue that it was too activating for me. A month after starting this med I started having heart palpitations (I've never had a heart problem) that continued to get worse until I had been to the ER twice, family Dr once, with an appt scheduled with a cardiologist, legitimately thinking something major was wrong. Two dr's suggested that Risperdal could be causing it, so I began tapering. Two weeks later I am completely off the Risperdal, back on Zyprexa and my heart is fine now. Very scary for me."

BBP007 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Schizophrenia "I don't have schizophrenia I am undiagnosed. I was having issues with family and certain things in my life. Taking this meds made me feel worse with most of my symptoms. I had moments where I felt over tranquillized and trouble communicating how I really felt. I know I felt better before the medication. Now that I am off of it my list of negative side effects is quite large. I wouldn't reccomend this medication to anyone. Especially if you have an endless diagnosis in the first place. Be careful believing what your Drs say. They get all of their recommendations from pharmaceutical companies. Once I was off of this medication Drs. Refuse to listen to me. They just recommend I take it again or take other drugs. They refuse to admit their mistakes. They refuse to acknowledge anything."

HopelessAgain December 14, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Autism "My son is high functioning autistic. His behavior specialist recommend risperdol .05mg daily for my son for aggression and violent out bursts. After being on it for a week we noticed that he is much calmer. We have noticed some side effects such as. Hyper attentiveness, nightmares, muscle spasms and itchiness."

G-man's mom (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "After going through my third manic episode I was prescribed 6mg of resperidal which immediately made me feel like an absolute zombie. I couldn't think clearly, was extremely tired all of the time l, and was unhappy. Through the course of about 4 months my dosage is now 1 mg and I don't feel the severe side effects. Good medicine in controlling the mania but in high dosages will make you feel like a zombie"

Tirp (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 24, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Schizophrenia "I started risperidone after my last hospitalization for PTSD with psychosis. Before risperidone I suffered from insomnia, nightmares, and paranoia that lead me to full blown psychotic state. I now live a more normal life with few symptoms. I take risperidone with sertraline and clonazepam at night then pass out for about 10 hours. I suffer from mental fog and lack of emotion on the drug. I don't fully wake up until about 4 pm after my afternoon nap. It has also caused my periods to stop and enlarged breasts that leak once I up'd to 2 mg. Going to try ziprazidone next to see if I can have better quality of life."

Anonymous vet October 20, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Schizophrenia "I was on this "medicine" for 4 years ( ages 14 to 18) it is honestly one of the worst medicines i have ever taken. It not only sapped me of all of my strength and will power, but it increased my agitation to unseen levels ( i had a pretty bad temper before this but i had learned to control it) it mad me gain over 150lbs in that 4 year period( i was at 120lbs when i started it and 375lbs when i stopped taking it)it also got me to the point i felt nothing but anger and when i wasnt riled up i was a blank mask of indifference, not only that but i have been off of it for 4 years now and i still have trouble controlling my anger and weight. Plus i have this problem where i can't stop moving(mostly my legs and the right side of my neck)"

Dark Messiah September 14, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I was reckless my heart pounded and nose bled every day worst antipsychotic I have tried"

Fido hammerfist August 19, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "This was the WORST drug I have been on since I was diagnosed in 1998. I was on the injection for about six months, gained a lot of weight (50 pounds) and had a horrible gallstones flare up in which I was diagnosed with the condition (after fainting in public). I was put back on abilify and prefer the oral pill every day to the injection! One nurse didn't inject me correctly and I developed sciatica for longer than I was on the medication!!"

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 19, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I have been on this medication longer than any other medication I have ever been on. Its been four and a half years, mostly on and I feel like this medication let me sleep better than all other medications I had been on until Saphris. I gained weight, but not too much about 25 pounds over the course of four and half years. I am a man, and I have noticed enlargement of the breasts development of female breast tissue. I'm coming off Risperidone now and I will see what the withdrawal effects are. Last time I came off meds I had a manic episode which was quite embarrassing. I held a job at Walmart for 2 and a half years. I would say though that the biggest drawback is its effect on diminishing the user's willpower."

JediBill (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 4, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "My son took Risperdal for 8 years. Then developed Tardive Dyskinesia/Dystonia He had to have surgery to insert Deep Brain Stimulator to help control his movement disorder."

Cindymh2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 22, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "It def helped with my mania,I just feel slightly off on it but it has helped a lot I take this and celexa to help with my obsessing but the risperdal made me gain weight,I went from 120-125 to 140 I'm so unhappy bout the weight gain I'm going to try to switch medications&will come back to this if I have 2,trying 2 find something better but this def helped my mania and doesn't make me real tired like seroquel and abilify or almost pass out like geodon"

Steffy Stef (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Schizophrenia "Horrrible !!! ...made me silent & socially disabled sucked happiness just feeling irritated & flat ..wasn't effective at all for my symptoms also increased anxiety dramatically when I upped the dose to 4mg..."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I am a White Female that was prescribed this med, and the results are pretty good. It is covered by my health insurance, filled at a local pharmacy, and given by a nurse that visits our home. I was concerned when I heard about side effects in others, although I feel well. I am over 21, and hopefully this was a good med for me and others. I am a nice girl, and thank you."

Miss Nicki (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 11, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I took Risperdal (Resperidone) for about five years. It effectively managed my maina/hypomania and gave me no obvious side effects towards the beginning. Pros -Effectively worked -Helped with hypomania -Helped with mania Cons -Developed Hyperprolactinemia -From ^^^ i developed amenorrhea and weight gain -Mental Slowness (things were harder to learn and harder to remember) It's a good medication that worked for me, but I had unfortunate side effects. Everyone is different so don't automatically discount the drug if you are just starting it based on everyone else's experience. It DID work for me the way it was supposed to, but I also had side effects so I had to switch it. I'm giving it 8 out of 10 because it DID manage my BPD well."

ObjectiveReview (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 6, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Schizoaffective Disorder "Beware of side effects! This medication caused Sexual side effects. Unless you are a Man who doesn't mind not being able to have ejaculation in the bedroom, don't mind growing breasts when you are a Man!, and don't mind gaining weight, DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION."

Bipolar type Schizzoaffective (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 21, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "It's helped my paranoia, delusions, irrational thoughts, and impulses to self-injure and commit suicide more than anything else. Also helps control the hypomania because I'm not on a mood stabilizer. It just also makes me extremely tired and sedated and I'm constantly hungry and have gained a lot of weight on it. I've fluctuated in my dosage from 3 milligrams to as low as 0.5. Currently taking 2 to 2.5 right now."

Invisiblecreeper (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 19, 2015

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Schizophrenia "It's impossible to stay on this med long term unless you want man boobs. My nipples have pain in them and I had sexual side effects. I also had akathisia on this med and needed to pace back and forth. It's not worth the weight gain."

Cactustomato December 8, 2015

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been taking Risperidone for over four years now. I felt great the first year but had to constantly have my dosage increased. I don't like some of the side effects (anxiety, difficulty concentrating, weight gain, faster heart rate, flu-like symptoms) but have learned to deal with them. Once you start to gain weight it is virtually impossible to lose the weight as I have tried everything. It seems you peak at a certain level."

SoP November 19, 2015

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Schizophrenia "I take 3 mg every night, slowly recovering and no side effects so far."

texasmadeboyz713 October 13, 2015

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "It worked almost immediately ! I had my dosage moved to two tablet twice a day and then back down to one tablet twice a day for every twelve hrs. The only thing Is I have a difficult time with regulating my body temperatures. When I get hot I get REALLY hot and it takes awhile to cool down. When I get cold I get REALLY colds and it gets hard to get warm again and so on. I've had the twitching of the arm and hands as well and I have been nauseous. But really it works ! I just still deal with being hot and cold at times."

Bio (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 19, 2015