User Reviews for Risperdal

Risperdal has an average rating of 5.8 out of 10 from a total of 195 ratings on Drugs.com. 43% of those users who reviewed Risperdal reported a positive effect, while 29% reported a negative effect.

Mania   6.9
Asperger Syndrome   3.6
Summary of Risperdal reviews 5.8 195 reviews

Reviews for Risperdal

rustynail23 February 10, 2021

For Bipolar Disorder: “Terrible choice by my PA to put me on this stuff. I was only on .25mg and the first day I was on it I had to leave work early because I was so confused, felt drained, exhausted. Sleep was absolutely horrible. Couldn’t stay asleep. It only got worse as the first full week I was on it I had zero focus, energy, felt confused at work. I missed the better part of two days of going to work. Went that same Friday and my PA took me off of it and put me back on a lower dose of Latuda and I’ve never felt better.”

Anonymous January 26, 2021

For Schizophrenia: “Continue taking Risperidone as long as your doctor tells you to. AND TAKE IT AT THE SAME TIME EVERYDAY.”

Desmondini · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 13, 2021

For Schizoaffective Disorder: “Prescribed 4mg daily after auditory hallucinations. Works well for that, but has caused a notable increase in anxiety, complete loss of appetite and sex drive. Looking to come off this and try a new med.”

j · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 4, 2021

For Schizophrenia: “this medication saved my life, I was dealing with psychosis PTSD and derealization like was suffering 24/7. This medication made life bearable I still have some times where I don’t feel the best, but nothing compared to what I was dealing with. The side effects were pretty ruff the first week or two but I was also very sick but I pushed through since again they were nothing compared to what I was dealing with. This medication was my last straw I tried everything now I don’t know what I would do without it.”

Ara · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 10, 2020

For Schizophrenia: “Risperidone saved my life. Before it, I was suffering from delusions and I was paranoid all the time. But ever since being put on 2mg, all the delusions have stopped and I can function like a normal human being. I've had no side effects whatsoever. I was scared of starting risperidone because of all the negative reviews but it is honestly the best antipsychotic I have tried (and I've tried three). I haven't put on weight, I haven't got an increased appetite, I am not drowsy, I am not lazy or zombie like and I am not lactating.”

Bipolar Bear December 6, 2020

For Mania: “I have just started taking Risperdal I'm 5 days in, was taking 2mg first 2 days but side effects were really intense for me so I've dropped to 1mg. Side effects for me are not being able to sleep, Other than during severe anxiety attacks never had sleep issues. There's this strange thing with my eyes which is hard to explain... I have blurred vision but also a kind of "eye ball pain" if that makes sense, kind of uncontrollable movement. Anyway I'm hoping all of this subsides as just in the past 5 days my paranoia (which was getting increasingly out of control, to the point I couldn't even check my mail box) has lightened a lot! My anxiety levels have decreased, I'm still obsessing a little but overall I feel better mentally”

Rose · Taken for less than 1 month December 3, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “My daughter is bipolar and has tried so many medications. She gets manic attacks. She hears voices and see things when having her manic attacks. Five days ago, they begun giving her this medicine. I’m reading everything people have said here and I’m wondering if this medicine is all she may need to live a happy healthy life. She has tried zyprexia many years ago and that helped for a time. I’m keeping hope alive!”

Ragrat · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 26, 2020

For Autism: “Awful. Took it for 4 months. Doctor justified giving me this drug after I had a mere hx of “instructive thoughts”. It made me throw up when it hit my system. It made me shake. It took away my motivation for several years. It made me gain 50 lbs that I struggle to lose. Made me have mood swings and my first ever psychotic episode. When it “ran out” it unlocked a whole new level of anxiety I never experienced before. Drove me to insomnia and I struggle to sleep without an anti-psychotic since. Had to drink several red bulls and smoke cigarettes just to function. Since I’ve been off the meds, I don’t need cigs or Red Bulls. Have been nicotine 3 for three years! Screw this horrible drug. Made me hyperventilate when walking. Caused me to have circulatory problems, breast-like growths and gout. All improved when I got off this medicine.”

Jai · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 8, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “I haven't experienced serious side effects only blurred vision and drowsiness. I have been taking the meds for 1 month now. So far so good. I was prescribed this medication after 2 manic episodes I had that were practically back to back (after 3 weeks).”

thecukoosnest123 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 27, 2020

For Schizophrenia: “While on resperidone I slept 14 hrs each night which is good compared to the other anti-phycotics I have taken. The main reason for discontinuing the drug was the restlessness.”

SnakeDog · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 7, 2020

For Asperger Syndrome: “Risperdal made me gain 40 pounds in less than 3 months. It also somehow caused a psychotic episode when I first started it. I was prescribed for irritability in autism not psychosis/schizophrenia. It was one of the scariest experiences of my life. I suffered through depersonalization, paranoia, and unshakeable beliefs for a couple weeks. I also had movement issues and brain fog. I switched to another anti-psychotic and lost the weight but the effects following the psychotic episode lingered for 6-8 weeks.”

Diesel · Taken for 10 years or more September 9, 2020

For Schizoaffective Disorder: “I take 6 mg of Risperdal at night for Schizoaffective Disorder, However, my mania was getting out of control during the next day; my thinking was very accelerated and euphoric. So I decided to split the dose 3mg/night, and 3mg/day. I got much better results. My manic episodes were stopped on their tracks.”

Lowell123123 · Taken for less than 1 month June 25, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “Yesterday I requested an emergency call from my Psychiatrist and she called this pill in because I was in a severe manic episode. I didn’t think it would work. Nothing has. Then the insurance didn’t pay for it. I was ready to go to a psych hospital at this point. Luckily I had a little bit of money and the pharmacy let me partially fill it because the effects are amazing. Literally stopped my manic episode dead in its tracks and two hours later I was feeling amazing! Like I said I was in such a bad manic episode and I have extreme anxiety too so I was literally ready to admit myself into a hospital and just give up on life altogether. But I’m self employed and own a business and I’m moving next week so I really didn’t want to wind up in a hospital or worse in jail for doing something crazy! This drug may have just saved my life altogether!”

James June 12, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “Hello, my name is James and I have Bipolar type 1 disorder. I take 1200mg of lithium, 1mg of Risperdal, and 25mg of Quetiapine. When I initially started the Risperdal, it fired me up with the same effects that I’ve experienced on previous occasions with antidepressants. It also began to mess with my sleeping pattern. For example, I would constantly be waking up two hours before my scheduled time. The good news, however, is that these side effects which I endured were short-lived, and after 3 weeks, they settled down. Any issues that I had previously encountered with regards to psychotic features : Hearing voices and talking to myself excessively, impulsivity, and anxiety all seemed to vanish from the face of my earth.”

gatinha · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 14, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “I've tried a lot of different meds, my favorite by far is Lamictal but it stopped working after 10 years. I started risperidone a year ago. It makes me calm, I hardly get angry, I have no anxiety, and I have not had an episode since I started it. I feel great on it in general. The down side -- It makes me lazy, I'm so chill now that I'm totally comfortable just sitting on the couch. I feel relaxed and balanced but without the anxiety I have no reason to get up and "run it off". The biggest and worst issue I have with it is the damn weight gain. I've always been super fit and thin but now I have a belly that I just can't get rid of. If the it didn't work so well for my mood I would get off of it immediately to lose my weight. I would still recommend it and I won't be stopping it anytime soon.”

puppylove · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 20, 2020

For Schizophrenia: “I was admitted to the hospital and prescribed Risperdal. I recently went from 3mg to 2mg. I've been having really bad swallowing issues on this med and we're hoping the lower dose helps with this. Otherwise a great medicine for me I've been active in the community and able to control some of my unusual thoughts. I would recommend this medication, but be cautious of the side effects. I've been on the med for 2 years now. I gained 40lbs and remarkably I was able to lose 50lbs since starting Risperdal.”

Steph · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 8, 2020

For Autism: “I have such a love hate relationship with risperdal. It helped us during a time when my son was in crisis (has OCD) but the thing is, it loses its effectiveness and we are constantly having to increase or keep him where he is even though it’s not working because weaning off the med is so awful. Honestly, I don’t think the side effects and nightmare of trying to get off this med is worth it, in my opinion.”

Anonymous February 6, 2020

“I was given Risperdal for help with severe anxiety at a 0.5mg dose which the doctor said was a very low dose since I mentioned I am super sensitive to medication. He said it was shown to help people with severe anxiety while also taking fluoxetine. Fluoxetine helped me with panic attacks. I still had racing thoughts, negative intrusive thoughts, always scared of everything, I always feel dizzy but doctors don’t seem to understand why. The doctor did explain that the first 2 weeks I would be extremely tired, while medication adjusts. First dose sleepy. 2 weeks in and I had slurred speech, I got more anxiety because I felt slow. Doctor said get off of it. I did and next I felt I had drank like 10 cups of coffee, I couldn't sleep, I couldn’t think, my mind racing a million times worse. I had worse depression, which was horrible. I had to go to the ER to get some sedatives. It finally took about the same 2 weeks for my symptoms to subsided and felt my body a little relaxed. Also I feel the risperidone took away the effectiveness of my fluoxetine.”

Jd February 1, 2020

“This medication literally ruined my life I use to be outgoing and social but now I'm just really silent. It makes me feel really depressed and anxious lost passion for the things I love like music writing used to study finance but now I lost my drive to study I wanna know do the side effects go away or is it permanent and does it also make anyone else quiet to the point where it ruins your life”

LL · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 6, 2020

For Autism: “My daughter, 9, HF Autism level 1.5, severe ADHD & sensory disorder. She was medicated with Ritalin which did not help her concentration, but did help her sit longer in a chair. Her negative behavior did not change. She was given 0.3 mg Risperdol drops and we were able to redirect her violent episodes easier. But still was not helpful enough. With .25 Risperdol drops in the morning and again .25 at 4 or 5 in the evening changed her violence to tears (big improvement). She is now able to cry from her frustration. We are then able to redirect her thinking to a happier place. Thankful, she has had absolutely no side effects. Since taking Risperdol, she is functioning better in school and is able to listen to directions better. She is also more verbal on this dose. She has begun to ask for it when she enters the negative moods which happens morning and evening before her scheduled dose.”

PoopyRisperdalPills · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 28, 2019

For Schizoaffective Disorder: “Hello this drug is very bad and not helpful. Still hallucinated on it. Blurry vision, restlessness, does not make you tired, brain pain?!, motor control malfunctioning, difficulty thinking on it, lack of emotion on it. Please don't take this "medicine". Very bad. Does not work.”

James · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 21, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: “Risperdal saved my life. I was hospitalized two times with psychosis and this is what they gave me. It took a few weeks to really kick in. At first I was tired. I have been on the med for almost five years now. I am able to live a normal life although I still have some depression. I take 4mg risperdal which I just increased from 3mg because at times I would have mild hallucinations or delusions when tired or the like. They are almost non existent now, really just coming on if I have caffeine. I did gain weight but not meaningfully so. The trick is to watch your calories and exercise as much as possible. I would recommend trying this for severe psychosis. I also take 600mg lithium which seems to help my mood. I like to think that the lithium helps the brain from the damage risperdal can cause. Without risperdal I wouldn't be here by now. Everyday is a blessing and a gift!”

Sean · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 6, 2019

For Schizoaffective Disorder: “This med did not work for me. Did not help my thinking. Still felt depressed. Psychosis was still there. I was on it with other drugs too so that is probably why it didn't work. Also bad side effects too.”

John · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 29, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: “This drug makes it much harder to become aroused (or erect). It seems to reduce psychotic symptoms and other bad behaviors.”

Scott · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 19, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: “This stuff literally made me feel life wasn't for me anymore, there were the horrendous side effects, the worst being an uncontrollable need to MOVE somehow (Akathisia) and the dark dark dark thoughts. I was switched to seroquel and then to abilify, but all these gave me the same side effects.”