User Reviews for Geodon

Bipolar Disorder 149 reviews 33 medications

5.6
Summary of Geodon reviews 219 reviews 6.3

Reviews for Geodon

For Schizophrenia "Friday 2-10-17 I was rushed by ambulance due to respiratory acidosis. I was intubated and stayed in ICU because I took xanex, baclofen, Oxycodone, and clonazepam in conjunction with Geodon. It says do not mix this medicine with those medicines. I did exactly what the Dr told me to do. You have to do your own homework. Be safe."

Bigger Macintosh February 13, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bipolar Disorder "This causes crazy weight gain. I was 120 now 177 pounds... yup! Other than that it works I take 80mg before bed every night but the craving at night for food will get the best of you. It took not long to gain weight now it's taking forever to lose it. But I'm still happy with this drug. Better then haldol and seroquel :)"

Aprillemarie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 18, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bipolar Disorder "All I can say is that for the first time in my life, I feel like I can take care of myself. I owe this completely to this drug. No more manic episodes. Everything has sort of evened out for me. It's wonderful and I cannot be without and will freak out if I ever have to! Oh and I'm on 20mg twice a day. So far, no side affects other than a small twitch in my face. That sort of thing can easily be counteracted with additional medicines, though. It is very expensive, but it is completely worth it."

caw dawg January 15, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Schizoaffective Disorder "This medication was exactly what I needed for my schizoaffective and bipolar disorders. There has been absolutely no weight gain and no noticeable side effects. It has seriously levelled out my bipolar cycles, no paranoid delusions and the depressive episodes are less painful. I know that one med won't work for some people, but this was exactly what I needed. After being on zyprexa and gaining 10 pounds a month, this was a life saver."

Allisonata (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 28, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bipolar Disorder "I was on this for several months and had great experiences with it. It made all the weird little hallucinations go away, caused me to effortlessly drop all of the risperdal weight (60lbs!), and just generally really helped stabilize my mood, combined with the xanax and Depakote. Unfortunately, it's about $300 a bottle on my insurance (generic)."

espresso_dreams (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 27, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Schizophrenia "All I can say, don't miss a dose or take it without food. Also, do not take it with alcohol. If I do any of the above, I don't sleep at all. Then when I take it on the following moarning, I fall asleep at work, which is saying something because I have a very active job. This medicine seems to have a very short half life and I feel symptoms even if I go one hour without it. That being said, it is by far the best medicine I have been on. It is very effective when taken at the same time everyday with just enough food. No weight gain, and a big drop in positive symptoms. It even brings back my determination and zest for life. As long as I take it exactly as dirrected, it is a life saver."

Naboo Bear December 20, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been taking Geodon for 2 weeks yesterday 20mg x 2. And this is my first day on 40mg x 2 . So far I can't tell if in manic or getting better. I'm getting a lot more done and feels like manic. I don't mind. But you hope it lasts I have been in a ....dark?... depression for almost 3 years ( and had 2 children), so now I'm just happy to be motivated to do anything at all. I'm really happy "

Bh216 December 17, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bipolar Disorder "This was the worst experience I've had with a medication. I had to go off Lithium because it gave me hypothyroidism and diabetes insipidus and Geodon was a replacement. I was given Geodon at the lowest dose for about two weeks. I was okay, but experiencing a bit of random anxiety. Then my dose was upped and I had a panic attack (I've only had 3 of those in my life before) within 24hrs. Several days later I was in the ER with suicidal thoughts for the first time in 20 years. As far as general effectiveness goes before the dosage increase sent everything haywire, I got depressed right away once totally off the Lithium, so it wasn't really helping anyway. The suicidal thoughts and anxiety were gone within 48hrs after I stopped taking it."

ButterflySpain100 December 15, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bipolar Disorder "40mg o geodon made me terribly ill. I vomited every day for a week then every other day for another week. I changed my diet to red meat and milk added Alka seltzer chews like skittles and took prilosec twice a day. I did this because geodon gave me remarkable improvement in my life. It felt like an awakening. Very little depression and just mania every now and then. It gave me back my personality."

Bugdust (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 14, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bipolar Disorder "I took this medication for about 5 days and from the start I knew something was wrong. I remember hallucinating in the dark and the very next day I went manic. I had acid reflux issues and it felt so bad that I had a hard time breathing. I passed out and was taken to the ER. Withdrawal was terrible in fact I'm still going through it. I have had the worst anxiety of my life. My delusional beliefs were at an extreme high and I was so scared that I would break out crying. Every one of my worst thoughts was greatly emphasized on this med. I would have anxiety attacks and feel like I had to puke. I would not recommend this medication, TO ANYONE."

Elisabeth Stanford December 13, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bipolar Disorder "I experienced horrible side effects with Geodon. I broke out in a rash over my entire body that itched like fiberglass. It took it for 21 days and it took another 21 days after stopping to finally stop getting new sores."

Huckleseed December 10, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been taking Geodon since it came out. It has been a godsend for me. My mood had been stable for a long time. My last hospitalization was 2002. My results have been fantastic."

Pugsly46 (taken for 10 years or more) December 1, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bipolar Disorder "I warn you to be VERY careful with regards to this medication. I started taking it in July 2012, and was at one point up to 120 mg a day. ( I absolutely no longer see the "Dr" who had me on such a high dose) It caused me to suffer neurological damage that took over a year to correct itself. I had involuntary muscle movements, rocking motions, tremors, as well as having to learn how to walk again normally, as it caused marked damage to the left side of my body. I was treated with physical therapy twice for the condition this medication left my body in. It is just not worth it!!! Do your research, as I am sure you are, since you are in this forum. This medication is even more dangerous than desribed!!"

A Ny gal November 25, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bipolar Disorder "My Dr. switched me from Risperidone to Geodon because of weight gain. I had taken Geodon back in 2002 and didn't have any side effects that I can recall. However this time it was a nightmare. As soon as I started taking it I felt sick. The side effects I experienced: Sore throat, cough, sore throat glands, restlessness, acid indigestion, heartburn, belching, depression, rash on my neck, loss of appetite, back pain, joint pain, flatulence, hot flashes, insomnia, unable to stay asleep, exhausted. I was on it for 2 1/2 weeks. My Dr. told me to stop cold turkey. The withdrawal was hell. I was dizzy for a week, hot flashes, chills, shaking, nauseous, vomiting, terrible spasms in my thighs. It took about 8 days for me to feel better."

Jillypopcorn November 15, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Schizophrenia "I have been on geodon for 6 years. It works great for me. Rispedal. made me sleepy and I couldn't think as clear. I have gained weight but due to other medication I was taking with it. My symptoms are almost all gone. I still have some paranoia but nothing like before I take a lot though 160 at night. My condition is very manageable I just wish I didn't have this problem and didn't have to take medicine just to function normally . Good luck to all you guys searching for help."

Momma Kim November 6, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Autism "When I started taking this medication 4 years ago, I knew right then that it would be nothing but a colossal detriment to my well-being. That is why I have been off this medication for the last 3 years, and I would not recommend this medication to anyone!"

WTD81 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 15, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bipolar Disorder "Started this medicine about 2 months ago. The first week was hell, had to call and get the approval to cut from 80mg to 40mg at bedtime. I was falling asleep right after taking it. Couldn't stay awake for anything. After reducing to 40mg it's been wonderful. It's made my appetite almost non existent, which for me is nice. I currently take 600 mg 3x daily of Gabapentin, 20 mg of Lexapro in the am, 40 mg of Geodon at bedtime, and 0.5 mg of Ativan as needed. This combo for me, has saved my sanity! I finally feel somewhat normal (which has been life changing)."

Wishful_thinking (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 10, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bipolar Disorder "I have, very recently, started taking this medicine. The doctor seemed very adamant that it would set me straight and make me super tired and sedate as well, potentially helping treat my somniphobia as well as the bipolar. The medication has made me so manic that I am having mixed bipolar episodes and seriously feel like jumping out of my own skin. While I appreciate not being so depressed that I'm laying on the floor crying my eyes out, I do not enjoy jittering and being so amped up that I start screaming every time something frustrates me. I am so manic that it is surreal. So much for Geodon helping me out XD"

JessiMahtnarg September 20, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Schizophrenia "I've been on geodon for about three weeks now. So far no side effects but it's diffcult to take with 500 calorie meals. I'm not much of a breakfast gal and find myself looking for food to take my medicine in the morning."

Opeeftl September 11, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bipolar Disorder "I went on this drug because I was gaining too much weight on zyprexa. I've lost some weight so far but literally feel like shit everyday. Feel sick too my stomach and can barely keep my eyes open throughout the day. If I forget too take it I can't fall asleep and I've never had that problem with other meds."

Kylemarsh August 24, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bipolar Disorder "I'm confused about comments. Do most bi- polar 1 patients find Geodon taken before sleep helps sleeplessness? I have been taking Geodon the last 6 months and weaned myself off of lithium. The only side affect I have with Geodon is sleeplessness. Is Geodon more effective taken in the evening? I see my Dr.in a month, I will bring up patient responses to Geodon,taken before bedtime. I'm willing to try! "

SuperB (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 19, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bipolar Disorder "Bad side effects!"

PostmodenistCupie (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bipolar Disorder "Geodon changed my life. The first thing that happened was it was VERY sedating. Within an hour of taking it I was asleep so deeply that I could not be woken up no matter what happened. You could yell, shake me, nothing would wake me. I did not wake up groggy though and within 3 days my mind no longer raced and I started thinking clearly. As time went on the sedating effect lessened though it took a really long time. While I'm on it my brain just isn't mean to me and I sleep like a normal person. Tough to start as you need someone who can be with you in case there is an emergency because you will not be able to wake up or move for hours but it works. I wouldn't trade it for the world."

Rametteperegrine (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 18, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bipolar Disorder "i have been bipolar since the age of 21 im now 28 was put on zyprexa for 6 years changed this med because i was gaining too much weight im now 3 and half months on geodon in combination with zoloft all i can say this medication sucks it makes me more manic than ever my doc want me to try lithium i hope ill get better result... been sleeping 3 hours in the night for weeks this was the worst medication i have ever been and i only been on Zyprexa...i started on 80mg now im on 120mg dont reccomend dont try this drug!!!"

Bigbangaz (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 15, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Schizoaffective Disorder "This drug has me feeling dizzy drunk. I can tell its making me feel better. Im alot happier and not thinking so distorted. But the dizziness is awful."

Tamirenee August 13, 2016