User Reviews for Geodon

Geodon has an average rating of 5.8 out of 10 from a total of 329 ratings on Drugs.com. 45% of those users who reviewed Geodon reported a positive effect, while 35% reported a negative effect.

Schizophrenia   6.4
Schizoaffective Disorder   6.2
Bipolar Disorder   5.6
Autism   5.0
Summary of Geodon reviews 5.8 329 reviews

Reviews for Geodon

Tom · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 4, 2021

For Schizoaffective Disorder: “Whenever I take this medicine I start to feel depressed then I feel so sleepy that I am unable to stay awake. So I give in and after a 3 hour nap I am all better and back to normal. It happens every time I take the medication. It is the only medication that can take me to sleep. I take 80mg morning and night”

Clarie February 23, 2021

For Autism: “Geodon helps me have a great memory and that's about all it does. Tegretol made me angry I got off of that a while before I got on geodon and on this pill I'm still calm just like I was between pills. I love this memory pill.”

drwalls · Taken for less than 1 month February 22, 2021

For Bipolar Disorder: “I was on Geodon for only a short time. It made me so tired I couldn't wake up.”

Autumn · Taken for less than 1 month February 21, 2021

For Bipolar Disorder: “I’m currently being treated for mixed moods and am taking this along with lamotrigine and clonazepam for anxiety. I have taken lamotrigine for about 1 year now with the clonazepam. These two were great for me until this year when I started having delusional thoughts (intense fear of someone abducting me, people reading my thoughts). I also experienced dissociation while driving when my anxiety was intense. My dr prescribed me 20 mg of this and after 2 weeks of being on it, I am starting to feel like myself again as far as emotions go. However I do think I’m in a mild state of mania during the day until I take geodon at night. I’m taking it at night since it makes me sleepy within a few hours. I do have a loss of appetite but I just force myself to eat. My obsessive/delusional thoughts are subsiding but the hypomania is still around. I also take trazodone as needed for sleep which has been incredible! For me, the positives outweigh the negatives so far with this medication.”

J · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 16, 2021

For Bipolar Disorder: “Brings clarity to back my mind. Stops the tornadoes of spinning thoughts without making me hazy. Brings me back to normal. No side effects other than being thirsty.”

Nettymayer24 · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 31, 2021

For Bipolar Disorder: “Worse experience ever. I was on it for about 3 years. Gained over 100 pounds and was so out of it couldn’t even figure out that it was this medication that was doing it. Missed out on those years of my kids life and still paying for it. Stay away from this medication”

Mysteryperson · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 31, 2021

For Bipolar Disorder: “Geodon causes horrible nausea and working memory problems. I can't remember what I'm supposed to be doing at work sometimes. I go into a rooma and forget why I'm there. I had to switch to one dose in the morning (I work at night) because taking two doses a day just made me too sleepy. Truthfully, this is the best antipsychotic I've been on (I don't like antipsychotics period). At least it doesn't cause weight gain. Risperidone made me a zombie, Latuda didn't work, Abilify gave me insomnia and Seroquel made me suicidal.”

crwdsrf · Taken for less than 1 month January 4, 2021

For Bipolar Disorder: “Geodon gave me extreme akathisia, which sucked because it truly took away my ruminating thoughts. Or rather, I was so consumed by the akathisia that I didn't have time to think. If you can stomach it, I think it's a good drug, but was not right for my body unfortunately.”

kbean · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 30, 2020

For Schizoaffective Disorder: “This medication worked great at first. Soothed my rage almost instantly. Helped with paranoia. Unfortunately, over time, it did not work for hearing voices. I am in the middle of detoxing off this drug - word of warning! If you ever try to get off this drug, even stepping down a little at a time, it is BRUTAL. Withdrawal symptoms on top of recurring psychotic symptoms is excruciating.”

soofqueen420 · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 30, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “I've been on Geodon for almost a year now. Started it because zyprexa made me unbearably tired and confused and abilify made me insanely anxious. For the first three weeks I felt tired within two hours of taking it at dinner so I was going to bed at like 8 every night and waking up at 3 or 4 in the morning. I was also incredibly nauseous to the point where I didn't eat hardly anything for about a month and lost about 15 pounds. After that the side effects basically went away (about once a month I'll get the sleepiness again) and it's been great at controlling my symptoms!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 24, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “I was prescribed geodon 20mg BID and have started calling this drug a “miracle drug” over the past couple months my life has had some serious stressful situations, and Geodon has really helped me keep a clear head. My emotions could and would have been on a rollercoaster, but instead they were controlled and I was able to make clear headed decisions. I was recently diagnosed with bipolar 2 after years of being misdiagnosed with ADHD and the difference in how I feel is life changing. I haven’t tried any other medications because geodon seems to be working very well for me.”

NY bipolar December 13, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “After trying several drugs that made me feel like a complete zombie, I tried Geodon in 2006, and I have had great results. My psychiatrist says I am the poster child for this drug. No more mania. No more hospitalizations. I was able to finish my masters and have held a stable, professional position for almost 17 years. Happily married for 21 years. Two kids finishing up their undergrads and going on to grad school. I did gain weight, but I’d rather be a little chubby and able to maintain beautiful relationships, than worry about a few pounds. Therapy and Geodon were my cures to get out of the bipolar nightmare I was living in.”

TC · Taken for less than 1 month October 21, 2020

For Autism: “My 90 year old mother was recently given this drug because she objected to the five attempts to insert a mid-line catheter and now she has passed away. My 70 year old brother and I were talked to like dogs at the hospital where she died. I questioned the use of this drug because of my mothers well known and documented history of arrhythmia.”

Lisa · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 6, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “I was put on this medication after a really bad manic episode and it’s been about a month and a half now. This saved my life. I used to ignore this class of medication because of the stigma attached to it, but I’m glad I finally found Geodon. 20mg morning and night, Geodon keeps me focused and present. I don’t act out anymore at all. I feel more patience and it takes a lot to make me mad. Finally some peace. Only downside is you have to take it with a lot of food which is inconvenient for my lifestyle, other than that, no issues.”

Steve · Taken for less than 1 month September 14, 2020

“I only take Geodon 20mg to 40mg occasionally for anxiety and to relax at night. Works pretty well. (Usually only take it when I run out of my regular meds like Seroquel and Remeron), But it’s definitely relaxing esp. when if I took Adderall late in the day and need the calm my anxiety and help me relax/sleep.”

N · Taken for less than 1 month September 4, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “Been on it for a month and my mood swings are smoother. I don't feel as manic. But it doesn't get rid of the anxiety or low moods. I don't feel as negative. I don't experience intrusive thoughts as much. I did gain a few pounds and I do feel tired and weak.”

Kodi87 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 3, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “I've been on Geodon for several months now and I have to say the side effects that bother me the most is being TIRED/EXHAUSTION and EXTREME WEAKNESS!! Sometimes it makes me so tired I literally just can't do the day. It is like my whole body feels like I'm surrounded by sand, but so far, this is the only drug that has helped stabilize my mood and helps me have a more positive outlook without putting so much effort into it. It has helped my paranoia and suicidal ideation A LITTLE BIT. I can definitely notice a difference when it starts to wear off. I could use a higher dose but I absolutely can not go up because of how tired n weak it make me. I have gained weight but that's only because I'm SO tired that just going to work takes all I have :(”

Jay Pal · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 26, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “Geodon is a very fickle drug. Make sure to take it with food (500 calories). Sometimes it sedates you and sometimes it doesn't. I found to avoid eating beef and hot liquids with the medication especially hot coffee. I take 40mg twice a day. Otherwise it works very well at smoothing out the peaks of mania and mixed states. Doesn't do much for depression or Anhedonia. I wonder if in a way it causes the Anhedonia by preventing excitation. It doesn't mess with cognition though and makes you feel like you're not taking a med. And I didn't gain any weight on it too!”

Charles · Taken for less than 1 month August 17, 2020

For Schizophrenia: “Only on geodon for 2 weeks and I had a headache for 2 weeks, then terrible withdrawal symptoms. Back on zyprexa”

Rose · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 9, 2020

For Schizophrenia: “Geodon was a BAD DRUG for me!!! Made me gain a bunch of weight and didn't even touch my symptoms. I was put on this during my second hospitalization and got up to a really high dose and still didn't work but was kept on it after discharge. Caused my moods to be really unstable and led to a misdiagnosis of bipolar. Made me feel like such a zombie and made me miss Abilify which also made me a zombie but Geodon was so much worse. Beware!”

ANS · Taken for less than 1 month August 4, 2020

“I started taking Geodon for borderline personality disorder about two weeks ago and I think it’s causing me to dissociate really bad. My vision is blurry, I’m shaky, my heart is pounding, and nothing feels real. Hopefully things change.”

m89t · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 1, 2020

For Schizoaffective Disorder: “Geodon made me gain 40 pounds, caused my esophogus to tighten where swallowing was difficult and gagging to drink, caused severe hand tremors. It stopped manic episodes and hallucinations but not depression, made me very fatigued and feel out of it / drunk most of the time.”

CJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 29, 2020

For Schizoaffective Disorder: “Geodon is a life changer for me. MDD with Psychotic features (Schizoaffective ish). It took a while to get past the sleepy side effects, and those were not trivial either. After about three weeks, or so, I was able to get adjusted to the medication (120 mg / day) and I can enjoy the benefits of clear thought and presence in reality. I never realized how much of my illness left me feeling disconnected from life and others. Now I feel grounded and I like life again. No weight gain that I have noticed, and once I got used to the medication, the sleepiness was very manageable.”

Grace · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 10, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “I've had a very similar experience to the last post. Began taking Geodon for Bipolar disorder 1 and felt cured, energetic, happy. My depression was gone, as was my anxiety and I had much better work ethic. Fast forward a few weeks and the effects are subsiding. I upped my dose to 60mg but it's still not the same as initially. I've had some pretty low points. I'm hoping it still works to prevent manic episodes despite not having the antidepressant effects any longer. Considering switching to latuda, or adding an SSRI/SNRI to the mix.”

RJ · Taken for less than 1 month April 30, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “At first taking Geodon it was great, felt alive for the first time in so, so many years it was for my major depression disorder. Then after three weeks of taking it, it stopped working. Now increasing to 40 mg daily. I’m hoping that works but kinda nervous it’s not going to. Just my experience for taking it for 3 going on 4 weeks. The side effects I had were nausea, lack of appetite, shaking and some vision issues. Side effects seem to be subsiding.”