User Reviews for Geodon to treat Schizoaffective Disorder

Geodon Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 29 medications used in the treatment of Schizoaffective Disorder.

Reviews for Geodon

m89t · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 1, 2020

“Geodon made me gain 40 pounds, caused my esophogus to tighten where swallowing was difficult and gagging to drink, caused severe hand tremors. It stopped manic episodes and hallucinations but not depression, made me very fatigued and feel out of it / drunk most of the time.”

CJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 29, 2020

“Geodon is a life changer for me. MDD with Psychotic features (Schizoaffective ish). It took a while to get past the sleepy side effects, and those were not trivial either. After about three weeks, or so, I was able to get adjusted to the medication (120 mg / day) and I can enjoy the benefits of clear thought and presence in reality. I never realized how much of my illness left me feeling disconnected from life and others. Now I feel grounded and I like life again. No weight gain that I have noticed, and once I got used to the medication, the sleepiness was very manageable.”

Michi · Taken for less than 1 month January 24, 2020

“I'm schizoaffective and was put on Geodon 2 weeks ago for visual and auditory hallucinations. I had been taking Seroquel and it wasn't working for me so the doctor switched me over to the Geodon. Within a day the visuals had receded and shortly after the auditory as well. I've suffered for over a decade with trying different medications and so far this one has worked the best for me and my body chemistry. I also have major depression so the stimulant properties are a perfect solution for my lethargy.”

Czr · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 12, 2019

“Geodon in the beginning sounded like a good idea but it turns out that I was very wrong. After the first day of taking it I developed insomnia, heart palpitations and could not feel any emotions what so ever. These symptoms persisted for the whole time I took Geodon and on top of that, Geodon did nothing to help my psychosis. I then asked my doctor to get me off of Geodon and that is when the real kicker shows. Geodon has horrible withdrawal symptoms that hit despite how slowly I decreased my dose. These withdrawal symptoms for me included really bad insomnia, which made it impossible to go to bed at all and caused hallucinations, flu like symptoms and more heart palpitations. I am currently in week 1 out of 12 of getting off my 120mg dose. So basically if you take this drug, you WILL be hooked on it. Good luck.”

Q · Taken for less than 1 month September 28, 2019

“Awful. Twitching jerking sadness to the extreme. Low output of urine. Made things unbearable due to movements and heart racing. Sweating was like a sauna. Do not recommend.”

kyle · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 26, 2019

“I have been on Geodon/Ziprasidone for about a year. My doctor convinces me it fights my symptoms but all I experience is that 30 mins after taking it I go into depression after the depression wears off I then get sleepy and I sleep. Other drugs that I have take don't fight my mania symptom and I stay awake for days. The only advantage of Geodon is I sleep but not after 40 minutes of depression. A small price to pay sleep. But Surprisingly I wake up like a new man”

Anonymous August 9, 2019

“I've been on geodon for schizoaffective disorder for ten years and I have gained 100 pounds. I've lost my top teeth and had a tumor in me but Geodon does control the voices and maniac epsiodes.”

Tom · Taken for less than 1 month June 8, 2019

“Geodon brought unimaginable pain and discomfort, taking well over a decade to recover from. The consequences of taking this has ruined my ability to forge a healthy life”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 3, 2019

“This drug Geodon was amazing, I've felt the best I have ever felt MENTALLY in 12 years. I was literally crying of happiness because I didn't think I could ever feel normal again, it was that good. But unfortunately I got HORRIBLE akithesia (intense restlessness) and tapping of my foot that caused me to stop the drug. The foot tapping took 2 weeks to go away. I also would get watery diarrhea and episodes of overheating where I thought I had a fever but my temperature was normal. Also would get intense dizziness if I took my dose late, and felt like I had to drop dead of sleep no matter where I was, as soon as I took my dose. I wish I didn't have such bad physical side effects!! This is the only thing that has worked for me so far.”

Mom with voices · Taken for less than 1 month March 24, 2019

“Started geodon after bad reation to latuda. EXTREME WEIGHT GAIN!!!! Gained 15 lbs in 2 weeks! So sad because it helped my voices but I think somthing is wrong with my kidneys now. I am not peeing well and horrible anxiety! Use with caution!!!”

Rudy · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 4, 2019

“Extreme weight loss. Uncontrolled arm, mouth and tongue movements. Terrible uncontrolled spasms.”

Cat November 5, 2018

“Gained 50lbs in 3 months. Ate half a refrigerator a day. The doctor told me that geodon is weight neutral and I need more self control. I've been on oodles of anti-psychotics and other psych drugs. Only zyprexa, lithium, and depakote make me gain weight. Lithium was a pound a week, zyprexa is .75lbs a week, and depakote is 3lbs a week. Geodon is 4lbs a week. A personal high”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 20, 2018

“Couldn't think or feel on it. Felt like I was gonna have a heart attack. Had no appetite.”

Singerandactor January 13, 2018

“Tried 2 others with bad side effects. I've just switched to the above & no constipation, quiet in my head no cravings or dry mouth. Think I sneeze a bit & my sinuses are clearer. Bit of runny nose but nothing to complain about. Within 2.5hrs I'm slowly drifting into great sleep & can wake up with no alarm feeling very refreshed & energized. I'm really hoping it continues like this as its perfect for me.on 20mg at night. I've got my fingers crossed.”

Jill J · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 20, 2017

“I started taking this in April 2017. I was on 9 medications at the time for manic episodes and severe constant hallucinations. The only medication that ever stopped my hallucinations before this was haldol, but it caused extreme akinesia, so I stopped taking it. Originally was on 20 mg of Geodon twice daily, but have now gone to 80 mg twice daily. This medication is a miracle. The hallucinations have almost completely gone, and my mood is stable for the first time in years. No severe weight gain or weight loss. The only real side effect is that I get sleepy, but it is a welcome rest. I have gone from 9 medications to 3 medications. Recommended.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more September 19, 2017

“I was on Geodon for 12 years. I would take it at night with 500 calories. No weight gain. It worked really well for me for about 9 years. I did have mouth movements and then got anxiety. The past 2 years I've been struggling with all the symptoms of schitzoaffective disorder. Now I'm trying something new. I wish it worked the way it used to.”

Stacyj1s July 26, 2017

“I have been taking Geodon for 13 years. I was disorganized in my thinking in a mixed episode when I started taking it. It worked like a miracle for me. It made me sleepy when I would take it for a few years so I took it at bedtime; 80mg x2. I got use to it eventually. The side effect that troubles me is Low Platlettes. I was diagnosed with that shortly after starting it but my doctors don't blame the Geodon. Has anyone ever stopped taking it after prolonged use. I feel like I may not need it anymore!”

tracingbackroots · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 14, 2017

“I got put on this after my 3rd stay at a mental care facility. It was an addition to Lamictal. I was prescribed both for my Bipolar Disorder and Schizoeffective Disorder. Geodon worked for a bit but I noticed when I would deliberately take it when I was having auditory hallucinations that it wouldn't help. I'm on 40 mg, maybe that's too low, but it's not helping.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 17, 2017

“I was diagnosed in the prodromal stage of schizophrenia 2 1/2 months ago. I was started on Geodon 80mg once a day, which I started taking in the morning and it made me fall asleep for 4-6 hours. After a week of this I started taking it at night, somehow, it doesn't make me drowsy when I would like it to. It has taken away 90% of my symptoms. The first month I would get blurry vision, shaky hands, loss of appetite, large pupils later in the evening. The blurry vision has gone away. I have very little akathisia. I started getting panic attacks 2 months into taking Geodon, I now take it with a beta blocker and the panic attacks are gone. I have lost weight on this medication and have very minimal side effects. I'm grateful for this drug.”

Allisonata · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 28, 2016

“This medication was exactly what I needed for my schizoaffective and bipolar disorders. There has been absolutely no weight gain and no noticeable side effects. It has seriously levelled out my bipolar cycles, no paranoid delusions and the depressive episodes are less painful. I know that one med won't work for some people, but this was exactly what I needed. After being on zyprexa and gaining 10 pounds a month, this was a life saver.”

Tamirenee August 13, 2016

“This drug has me feeling dizzy drunk. I can tell its making me feel better. Im alot happier and not thinking so distorted. But the dizziness is awful.”

alligator112 · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 6, 2016

“this medication made me get rosacea after an all nighter and made me feel like vomiting every time I had to take it with 500 calories. it made me too crazy and there's still the lingering effect and no one thought I was crazy before that or knew and then it was obvious and still is. I never used to get crazy laughing before I don't think but I don't know if it's also because I was in a mental hospital with tons of crazy people and picked up their behaviour. my looks got completely ruined by this medication forever. I'm on 12 mgs of invega and 300 mgs of lamictal right now and I'm doing much better but I think I should be on 400 mgs of lamictal.”

Carnov · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 19, 2016

“This med makes me feel better but does nothing to hit the excessive amount of dopamine in my frontal lobe. This causes me so much frustration. The only thing anti-psychotics ever dealt with was my parietal lobe. Hello! It is "supposed to" clear up my entire brain not just a little bit. I can't function with just a little bit better.”

Bipolar type Schizzoaffective · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 21, 2016

“One of the best meds out there that I have tried. It works to keep you stable and little to no side effects. Recommended.”

Karen YF · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 4, 2016

“This medication did nothing for my delusions and caused me to eat non-stop.”

Learn more about Schizoaffective Disorder

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)