User Reviews for Geodon

Learn more about Geodon.

Geodon Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 85 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Geodon to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I have, very recently, started taking this medicine. The doctor seemed very adamant that it would set me straight and make me super tired and sedate as well, potentially helping treat my somniphobia as well as the bipolar. The medication has made me so manic that I am having mixed bipolar episodes and seriously feel like jumping out of my own skin. While I appreciate not being so depressed that I'm laying on the floor crying my eyes out, I do not enjoy jittering and being so amped up that I start screaming every time something frustrates me. I am so manic that it is surreal. So much for Geodon helping me out XD"

JessiMahtnarg September 20, 2016

"I went on this drug because I was gaining too much weight on zyprexa. I've lost some weight so far but literally feel like shit everyday. Feel sick too my stomach and can barely keep my eyes open throughout the day. If I forget too take it I can't fall asleep and I've never had that problem with other meds."

Kylemarsh August 24, 2016

"I'm confused about comments. Do most bi- polar 1 patients find Geodon taken before sleep helps sleeplessness? I have been taking Geodon the last 6 months and weaned myself off of lithium. The only side affect I have with Geodon is sleeplessness. Is Geodon more effective taken in the evening? I see my Dr.in a month, I will bring up patient responses to Geodon,taken before bedtime. I'm willing to try! "

SuperB (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 19, 2016

"Bad side effects!"

PostmodenistCupie (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2016

"Geodon changed my life. The first thing that happened was it was VERY sedating. Within an hour of taking it I was asleep so deeply that I could not be woken up no matter what happened. You could yell, shake me, nothing would wake me. I did not wake up groggy though and within 3 days my mind no longer raced and I started thinking clearly. As time went on the sedating effect lessened though it took a really long time. While I'm on it my brain just isn't mean to me and I sleep like a normal person. Tough to start as you need someone who can be with you in case there is an emergency because you will not be able to wake up or move for hours but it works. I wouldn't trade it for the world."

Rametteperegrine (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 18, 2016

"i have been bipolar since the age of 21 im now 28 was put on zyprexa for 6 years changed this med because i was gaining too much weight im now 3 and half months on geodon in combination with zoloft all i can say this medication sucks it makes me more manic than ever my doc want me to try lithium i hope ill get better result... been sleeping 3 hours in the night for weeks this was the worst medication i have ever been and i only been on Zyprexa...i started on 80mg now im on 120mg dont reccomend dont try this drug!!!"

Bigbangaz (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 15, 2016

"I was in a very bad place at the time I started taking it. My doctor wanted to ween me off of Effexor after 7 years of 300mg of it. I'll tell you coming off the Effexor is like coming off hard drugs like heroine! I'm not sure if the Zeldox (what they call geodon in Canada) was helping or making it worse. I officially got off the effexor after 10 weeks of weening and I'm still currently on 80mg of Zeldox. I will say you have to eat with this med or else you're really only giving your body half of what you're putting in it. I'm a week into lithium at 600mg. I'm feeling fantastic, but I'm thinking about weening off of the Zeldox, I do not believe its being effective and I'm just getting negative side effects from it."

Denny0505 July 25, 2016

"For Bipolar . This medicine was Very Dangerous to me. Within the first 2 weeks of being on 30 mg twice a day, I had 2 Seizures. Never have had a seizure in my 45 years of living. Had very bad hallucinations Rapid eye movement during the day, and was worse after any caffeine or cigarette. Had an episode while driving and could not control my actions, went off the road, thru a ditch and into a tree. 2 Fractured Vertabrae, many bruises, concussion. Stopped taking this drug. Thankfully I didn't kill anyone or myself. Finally 2 weeks after I stopped taking, I am finally getting a clear head. But still in Pain from the accident! Would NOT Recommend this Junk for anyone!!"

eggo (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2016

"I do not reccomended this AT ALL. Within a week of taking this, I started hallucinating and I got really bad akethesia. I was up for 3 days seeing things, hearing thinks, and I was even having tactile hallucinations. Most horrible experience I've ever had."

Rick LeClair (taken for less than 1 month) July 9, 2016

"I was put on 80 mg twice a day. Couldn't handle that so I started taking both at night. I've been on for 4 years and THEN the side effects started bad dystonia in my legs, arms, and face. Also I was very depressed, felt hallow, and so snappy always yelling at my kids. No ability to cry (you know sometimes a good cry just helps). So I called my doctor and she cut it in half to 80. At first I had some mood swings but I have gotten them under control. Now I just ache all over and have bad headaches. But, on the lighter side, I feel much happier, not scared of people like I was before (because I was sure they were all talking about me and hated me). I haven't decided if I'm going to go off or compltley. Right now, I'm happy where I'm at."

john330 July 3, 2016

"I am on lexapro, for depression, n buspar, for anxiety. My Dr added 40 mgs of geodon about 3 weeks ago, as a mood stabilizer... Well, it stabilized my mood, but at the most crazy manic level I've ever had. I sometimes worry myself into mania, which usually lasts about 3 days. Then I sleep it off, n I'm back to my mostly even keel self. Always anxious n slightly depressed, but functioning in the world... I did start this med in a manic phase, but to help calm me. It did not work. N my Dr is on vaca till next week... I've never posted to a forum b4, but I've never felt like this b4. I'm hoping for some insight from others. Has anyone else had this reaction? Please help."

Cali Mel June 28, 2016

"Best med I've been on for my bi-polar. I also take buspirone And trazodone for sleep. I been bi-polar since 21, I think I have taken ever drug there is for this illness. And since my Dr has put me on this drugs I'm finely stable for once in my life."

Jeffery M May 24, 2016

"Was prescribed Geodon for mania in Bipolar. Cannot recommend this drug. I tried to go back to work after being in the hospital for 2 weeks. Often, I would fall asleep even while typing or working. This made other activities dangerous and I quickly met with doctor to stop taking this. I can see this as being a short term fix to mania, but ongoing use of this drug is dangerous. It could make you have an accident or worse if driving."

Manuel231 (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2016

"Mania and especially mixed mania are the problem. Geodon is my solution. I took myself off because of mouth moves. Bad move? Almost divorced. I can tell when I am manic because I have ideas and insights. Example: the graph of user ratings for geodon treatment of bipolar is itself bipolar. I was doing 3x80mg when the moves started. Back to 1x80 now. Will report back. p.s. great site. I've been here many times but my first post. Thought I should contribute."

early (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 25, 2016

"I have been on 1800 mg of lithium, 400 mg of lamictal for 10 years now. I was diagnosed bipolar 1 with anxiety more than 20 years ago. Recently, I felt I was starting to go all over the place and I knew it was time to talk with my shrink. He put me on 120 mg at night with .5 xanax while continuing my other 2 meds. The first night I literally went dizzy numb my speech was severely slurred and I drooled as I tried watching TV with my children. Next morning I was unable to drive them to school since I was still unable to clear my vision. Night 2 I would take and called doc., he said that I needed to give it at least a 30 day cycle but leave out xanax. I decided to self medicate and changed my dose to 60 mg daily, I bit manic but nice."

Wendow (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2016

"I was prescribed Geodon two weeks ago for psychotic episodes that I have as a result of my Bipolar 1 disorder. In short, I am absolutely horrified at what Geodon has done to my body in the small time that I have been taking it. It has made my hallucinations worse, my Bipolar disorder worse (which was fine with the help of Lamictal), and it made my suicidal thoughts worse. I blacked out and self-harmed for the first time in over a year since I began taking this medication. I had to call a pharmacist to work out an emergency titration schedule which did me little good since I started IMMEDIATELY withdrawing from the 40 mg capsules. It was the worst withdrawal symptoms I have ever experienced. Please be careful before taking Geodon."

Desune March 31, 2016

"Geodon has helped with the low mood swings. It does make me restless. I take it only in the morning. Lamictal has been my saving grace. It's been months since I've slipped into depression."

Allstar1234 February 19, 2016

"I am a 48 year-old woman with bi-polar I disorder. A year ago last fall I was severely depressed. In the hospital they put me on 20 mg. Geodon for depression and 10 mg. trazedone for sleep. I was already on 1000 mg Tegretol. At first this combo was a lifesaver and I felt the best I have felt in years - even became slightly hypomanic and over-the-moon happy. Then 4 months in my mood swung to a deep suicidal depression so I went back in the hospital for 2 weeks and they upped the Geodon to 40 mg then 80 mg and the anxiety and insomnia became so bad they gave me the max they could with sleep meds and I left the hospital worse than ever. Anxiety so bad I had to take clonazepam to counteract. Would not take again."

StrongMaryForever (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 23, 2016

"It didn't work for me, I was on 40mg initially to start, and it wasn't helping, I could feel myself slipping into a worse depression, so the doctor upped it 60 mg. I then started breaking out in hives which itched so bad I would scratch them open (now have scars). Although even at 60, it still wasn't working for me. Off to find another substitute for seroquel (that's not working anymore either). I hope it helps other though, it just didn't work for me."

Sue_B327 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 6, 2016

"I've been taking Geodon for a few years now. I'm supposed to take 180 mg At night. But instead of knocking me out I'm restless and feel like I'm going to crawl out of my skin. So I take 80mg. in the morning and evening along with Zoloft, Vistril, and Klonopin a cocktail that makes me slumber for over twelve hours a day. My mood all the time unless triggered is "numb"."

Morrisseyjunkie (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 28, 2015

"This drug is great. I have been more stable than ever, since I started taking it. I have to take it at night though, because it makes me super sleepy if I take it during the day. I can hardly sleep and get manicky if I don't take it for a while. I don't get any side effects either. I was taking two 80mg pills at night, but now I only take two 60 mg pills. I lost weight while on this medication. Sleepiness is HORRIBLE if I take it during the day. I, at one point, was taking 80mg twice per day, but I almost got fired! I would fall asleep at work. It was an uncontrollable sleepiness. No matter what I did to stay awake, I couldn't. two 80mg at night made me sleep until real late, so that's why I take two 60mg pills at night. Haven't been manic."

Me16887461 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 4, 2015

"I tried this medication about a year ago geodone. I have bipolar 1 disorder. When I was released from the hospital they told me to stay on 60 mg of geodone. Then I tried going on 20 or 40 but I was still hearing voices and confused with my emotions. Then my doctor told me to take geodone only at night and I have no sleeping problems anymore. The doctor, emergency room, and hospital agreed together and told me to stay on this. I no longer hear voices when I do they come through stress and fade away. Night mares are gone. I don't gain weight cause I sleep through the night. "

Geodone experience November 18, 2015

"I took Geodon alongside lexapro. I have already taken lexapro for this past year and never had a dystonic reaction. However, when my nurse practitioner introduced geodon I went into dystonia . Dystonia is when your body begins to contort on itself involuntarily. I could literally feel my neck twisting on itself trying to snap. Thankfully i was cured with benadryl, and the dystonia was not permanent. If you want to try this med, keep a supply of benadryl to stop a dystonic reaction and call an ambulance right away. Even more, this is not the only medication that can cause dystonia. Several others can to - like risperidone, halodol , and abilify. When they are combined with an anti depressant they can increase the risk of dystonia.goodluck"

This Drug Can Cause Dystonia (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2015

"I took this for about two weeks at 4mg and doubled to 8, which I kept for around 2 more months. I was in a coma all the next day if I didn't take before 8 pm. This was bad enough, but I had a nearly fatal dystonic reaction and my pulse was in the 230s when I got to the ER. I nearly died. Like, this is a rare complication, but I wish I was informed that was even possible."

Paige H. (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 7, 2015

"I been on the drug for about a month. I'm getting off my depakote this month because of weight gain and tiredness. It's hard to see the whole effect of this drug. I can tell you that the drug makes you tired. I take 40mg at lunch and 40mg at dinner. It seems to be better the abilify. That drug made me gain 30 pounds and I couldn't stay still. It has just been hard because of all the weight I have gain from mood stablizers. I just hope that when I stop my depakote and only take geodon it will help me with my weight lost."

Colie (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 20, 2015