User Reviews for Geodon

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Geodon.

Geodon Rating Summary

5.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Geodon to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I was only on it for about 3 months! I was on the toilet all day with explosive diarrhea!! I lost 40 to 50 pounds within that time period. My weight was down to 125 pounds. I’m 42 years old now. The last time I weighed 125 pounds was in high school!"

WillnBryant (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Geodon wasn’t good for me I couldn’t stop moving, felt uncomfortable and had tics all the time. I couldn’t sleep. It caused tremors and affected my speech too. I forget what dose I was on, but it was only 2 weeks and I ended up going to psychiatric ER for the side effects. A low dose of Latuda has been a good replacement but everyone is different."

A11me November 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started geodon with celexa nine years ago. It worked amazing for the first couple of years. But then I started getting physical side effects. I began to have tics on my face and I gained a total of 60 pounds on this med. My vision became poor and I needed glasses. I became numb to my feelings. I started to wake up at night half asleep, eating and doing really weird things. I tapered off over a few months because stopping cold turkey causes me extreme mental withdrawal. I was off it a year and couldn't handle the depression, anxiety and mood swings anymore. I recently went back on a week ago and already my vision is blurry, I'm sleep walking and gained two pounds. I does wonders for me mentally but I can't handle the side effects."

Kelmo137 November 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was taking Geodon with Cymbalta and Clonazepam. I was hospitalized 4 times in a year! Never has that happened (I go inpatient maybe every 3-5 year's for a med adjustment). They kept increasing Cymbalta and Geodon. I believe my last increase had me at 100mg of Geodon. Not only did it MAKE me act bi-polar, I also had full body tremors 24/7, heart palpitations and tachycardia (mainly at bedtime). The last episode lasted 3 hour's. I iced my body (to lower core temperature), took very deep breaths and massaged the main artery, left side of the neck. I was about to call 911 when it finally stopped. I seriously thought I was dying! I wouldn't recommend Geodon for anyone who doesn't require a mood stabilizer based on diagnosis."

Greensprings (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I guess drugs really do affect people differently. I have nothing but good things to say about Geodon. I've been on it for a year and a half and my mania has only revealed itself twice since, but didn't last as long. It has also helped with my anxiety. The only thing I wish it helped more of is my depression. I am not as depressed as I used to get, but it's still there. And I really don't laugh a lot on it. But as far as treating my bipolar episodes, it's a great drug. I have had no side effects with it."

FSE (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I can't recommend this pill. It's only been two days and my IQ has gone way down, I promise it wasn't always this way... Anyway, within two days of taking this pill my mind became incredibly forgetful, I forgot my own phone number, and it took me 5 minutes to be able to recall it again. I made multiple big mistakes at work, mistakes that I've never made in my whole 2 years there. I was mortified, but thankfully my boss was really nice about it. Also, I gave a girlfriend a ride home and she told me I was driving awfully and it kind of scared her. Normally I'm a very cautious driver, and she told me that she'd never felt that way before with my driving. I can't continue taking this pill because it destroys my good work performance."

cats007 August 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"When I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder my doctor prescribed Geodon at 40mg once daily to help with my mixed episodes. I immediately felt the effect of the drug. I had Insomnia. I was hallucinating, I would here voices at night. I was aggitated and yelling at my husband and children for no real reason. My mixed episodes got much worse. I quit taking it after 4 days of absolute hell. I know everyone reacts differently the these drugs but my experience was awful."

CM31 (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed this during a bad mixed episode and it did wonders for me. It worked within the day! My only complaint is the sedation side effect. I get knocked out within two hours of taking it, so I take it at night. I also find that you can't take it with carbonated drinks, or else you get nauseous."

bipolarbunny (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This basically affected me the same as latuda, did nothing to help my depression, and made my anxiety worse, also made me feel restless and kinda agitated, plus I was clenching my Jaws, and had jaw tightness and pain, something I normally do not have, stopped taking this."

5150Aries (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this was great for sleeping helped me less manic. I started gaining too much weight so I decided not to take it for a couple of days.. lost 5 pounds so I'm trying to switch to something else"

imfatnow July 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Bipolar II with mixed episode, tried geodon. Severe somnolence, with insomnia (read: trapped in half-asleep purgatory) upon starting. Triggered full blown manic episode with hallucinations, jabbering rambling and fast talking, distractibility and inattentiveness, poor judgment, and dissociation with passage of time, over following couple weeks. Shaking hands (could not perform ordinary fine motor tasks such as cutting my nails). Stopped and switched to quetiapine, with success."

Oboer (taken for less than 1 month) May 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Possibly the worst mental med I've ever taken, & I've taken many over the years. It gave me an intense derealization side effect (only time I've experienced this, & it was unsettling as hell), and truly horrible, constant gas (as in, so bad I couldn't be in public)! Those who were brave enough to hold their breath & be around me told me that my affect was pretty flat as well. So basically it made me freaked out, flat, & repulsive all at the same time: thumbs down."

Gone Bananas April 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've just changed from Risperdal to Geodon. Risperdal worked well for me but I put on 6kg of weight which wouldn't budge no matter what I did. I have been on Geodon for a week now and the only side effect so far has been difficulty falling asleep and having a very light sleep pattern. I have counteracted this by taking a sleeping pill at night. I haven't lost any weight yet but hoping to see some results here soon."

Buzzabee (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ok first off I'm very skeptical about reviews. I don't know what to believe when it comes down to it. My doctor told me I needed a mood stabilizer so he decided to put me on geodon. I looked up reviews before hand and I was unsure but then said what's the worst that can happen. Well the worst happened. I'm actually typing this in the emergency room. I've experienced awful side effects after the first 3 days. Restless leg syndrome, head aches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting. The bad outweighed the good and after 2 weeks or so taking this medication my doctor told me to stop taking it. In such a short time of taking this medication I'm experiencing crazy withdrawals stay away from this drug!"

Alex_1256 February 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This causes crazy weight gain. I was 120 now 177 pounds... yup! Other than that it works I take 80mg before bed every night but the craving at night for food will get the best of you. It took not long to gain weight now it's taking forever to lose it. But I'm still happy with this drug. Better then haldol and seroquel :)"

Aprillemarie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"All I can say is that for the first time in my life, I feel like I can take care of myself. I owe this completely to this drug. No more manic episodes. Everything has sort of evened out for me. It's wonderful and I cannot be without and will freak out if I ever have to! Oh and I'm on 20mg twice a day. So far, no side affects other than a small twitch in my face. That sort of thing can easily be counteracted with additional medicines, though. It is very expensive, but it is completely worth it."

caw dawg January 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on this for several months and had great experiences with it. It made all the weird little hallucinations go away, caused me to effortlessly drop all of the risperdal weight (60lbs!), and just generally really helped stabilize my mood, combined with the xanax and Depakote. Unfortunately, it's about $300 a bottle on my insurance (generic)."

espresso_dreams (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 27, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Geodon for 2 weeks yesterday 20mg x 2. And this is my first day on 40mg x 2 . So far I can't tell if in manic or getting better. I'm getting a lot more done and feels like manic. I don't mind. But you hope it lasts I have been in a ....dark?... depression for almost 3 years ( and had 2 children), so now I'm just happy to be motivated to do anything at all. I'm really happy "

Bh216 December 17, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This was the worst experience I've had with a medication. I had to go off Lithium because it gave me hypothyroidism and diabetes insipidus and Geodon was a replacement. I was given Geodon at the lowest dose for about two weeks. I was okay, but experiencing a bit of random anxiety. Then my dose was upped and I had a panic attack (I've only had 3 of those in my life before) within 24hrs. Several days later I was in the ER with suicidal thoughts for the first time in 20 years. As far as general effectiveness goes before the dosage increase sent everything haywire, I got depressed right away once totally off the Lithium, so it wasn't really helping anyway. The suicidal thoughts and anxiety were gone within 48hrs after I stopped taking it."

ButterflySpain100 December 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"40mg o geodon made me terribly ill. I vomited every day for a week then every other day for another week. I changed my diet to red meat and milk added Alka seltzer chews like skittles and took prilosec twice a day. I did this because geodon gave me remarkable improvement in my life. It felt like an awakening. Very little depression and just mania every now and then. It gave me back my personality."

Bugdust (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 14, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this medication for about 5 days and from the start I knew something was wrong. I remember hallucinating in the dark and the very next day I went manic. I had acid reflux issues and it felt so bad that I had a hard time breathing. I passed out and was taken to the ER. Withdrawal was terrible in fact I'm still going through it. I have had the worst anxiety of my life. My delusional beliefs were at an extreme high and I was so scared that I would break out crying. Every one of my worst thoughts was greatly emphasized on this med. I would have anxiety attacks and feel like I had to puke. I would not recommend this medication, TO ANYONE."

Elisabeth Stanford December 13, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I experienced horrible side effects with Geodon. I broke out in a rash over my entire body that itched like fiberglass. It took it for 21 days and it took another 21 days after stopping to finally stop getting new sores."

Huckleseed December 10, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Geodon since it came out. It has been a godsend for me. My mood had been stable for a long time. My last hospitalization was 2002. My results have been fantastic."

Pugsly46 (taken for 10 years or more) December 1, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I warn you to be VERY careful with regards to this medication. I started taking it in July 2012, and was at one point up to 120 mg a day. ( I absolutely no longer see the "Dr" who had me on such a high dose) It caused me to suffer neurological damage that took over a year to correct itself. I had involuntary muscle movements, rocking motions, tremors, as well as having to learn how to walk again normally, as it caused marked damage to the left side of my body. I was treated with physical therapy twice for the condition this medication left my body in. It is just not worth it!!! Do your research, as I am sure you are, since you are in this forum. This medication is even more dangerous than desribed!!"

A Ny gal November 25, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My Dr. switched me from Risperidone to Geodon because of weight gain. I had taken Geodon back in 2002 and didn't have any side effects that I can recall. However this time it was a nightmare. As soon as I started taking it I felt sick. The side effects I experienced: Sore throat, cough, sore throat glands, restlessness, acid indigestion, heartburn, belching, depression, rash on my neck, loss of appetite, back pain, joint pain, flatulence, hot flashes, insomnia, unable to stay asleep, exhausted. I was on it for 2 1/2 weeks. My Dr. told me to stop cold turkey. The withdrawal was hell. I was dizzy for a week, hot flashes, chills, shaking, nauseous, vomiting, terrible spasms in my thighs. It took about 8 days for me to feel better."

Jillypopcorn November 15, 2016