User Reviews for Geodon

Learn more about Geodon.

Geodon Rating Summary

5.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 78 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Geodon to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I took this was great for sleeping helped me less manic. I started gaining too much weight so I decided not to take it for a couple of days.. lost 5 pounds so I'm trying to switch to something else"

imfatnow July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Bipolar II with mixed episode, tried geodon. Severe somnolence, with insomnia (read: trapped in half-asleep purgatory) upon starting. Triggered full blown manic episode with hallucinations, jabbering rambling and fast talking, distractibility and inattentiveness, poor judgment, and dissociation with passage of time, over following couple weeks. Shaking hands (could not perform ordinary fine motor tasks such as cutting my nails). Stopped and switched to quetiapine, with success."

Oboer (taken for less than 1 month) May 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Possibly the worst mental med I've ever taken, & I've taken many over the years. It gave me an intense derealization side effect (only time I've experienced this, & it was unsettling as hell), and truly horrible, constant gas (as in, so bad I couldn't be in public)! Those who were brave enough to hold their breath & be around me told me that my affect was pretty flat as well. So basically it made me freaked out, flat, & repulsive all at the same time: thumbs down."

Gone Bananas April 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've just changed from Risperdal to Geodon. Risperdal worked well for me but I put on 6kg of weight which wouldn't budge no matter what I did. I have been on Geodon for a week now and the only side effect so far has been difficulty falling asleep and having a very light sleep pattern. I have counteracted this by taking a sleeping pill at night. I haven't lost any weight yet but hoping to see some results here soon."

Buzzabee (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ok first off I'm very skeptical about reviews. I don't know what to believe when it comes down to it. My doctor told me I needed a mood stabilizer so he decided to put me on geodon. I looked up reviews before hand and I was unsure but then said what's the worst that can happen. Well the worst happened. I'm actually typing this in the emergency room. I've experienced awful side effects after the first 3 days. Restless leg syndrome, head aches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting. The bad outweighed the good and after 2 weeks or so taking this medication my doctor told me to stop taking it. In such a short time of taking this medication I'm experiencing crazy withdrawals stay away from this drug!"

Alex_1256 February 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This causes crazy weight gain. I was 120 now 177 pounds... yup! Other than that it works I take 80mg before bed every night but the craving at night for food will get the best of you. It took not long to gain weight now it's taking forever to lose it. But I'm still happy with this drug. Better then haldol and seroquel :)"

Aprillemarie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"All I can say is that for the first time in my life, I feel like I can take care of myself. I owe this completely to this drug. No more manic episodes. Everything has sort of evened out for me. It's wonderful and I cannot be without and will freak out if I ever have to! Oh and I'm on 20mg twice a day. So far, no side affects other than a small twitch in my face. That sort of thing can easily be counteracted with additional medicines, though. It is very expensive, but it is completely worth it."

caw dawg January 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on this for several months and had great experiences with it. It made all the weird little hallucinations go away, caused me to effortlessly drop all of the risperdal weight (60lbs!), and just generally really helped stabilize my mood, combined with the xanax and Depakote. Unfortunately, it's about $300 a bottle on my insurance (generic)."

espresso_dreams (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Geodon for 2 weeks yesterday 20mg x 2. And this is my first day on 40mg x 2 . So far I can't tell if in manic or getting better. I'm getting a lot more done and feels like manic. I don't mind. But you hope it lasts I have been in a ....dark?... depression for almost 3 years ( and had 2 children), so now I'm just happy to be motivated to do anything at all. I'm really happy "

Bh216 December 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This was the worst experience I've had with a medication. I had to go off Lithium because it gave me hypothyroidism and diabetes insipidus and Geodon was a replacement. I was given Geodon at the lowest dose for about two weeks. I was okay, but experiencing a bit of random anxiety. Then my dose was upped and I had a panic attack (I've only had 3 of those in my life before) within 24hrs. Several days later I was in the ER with suicidal thoughts for the first time in 20 years. As far as general effectiveness goes before the dosage increase sent everything haywire, I got depressed right away once totally off the Lithium, so it wasn't really helping anyway. The suicidal thoughts and anxiety were gone within 48hrs after I stopped taking it."

ButterflySpain100 December 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"40mg o geodon made me terribly ill. I vomited every day for a week then every other day for another week. I changed my diet to red meat and milk added Alka seltzer chews like skittles and took prilosec twice a day. I did this because geodon gave me remarkable improvement in my life. It felt like an awakening. Very little depression and just mania every now and then. It gave me back my personality."

Bugdust (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this medication for about 5 days and from the start I knew something was wrong. I remember hallucinating in the dark and the very next day I went manic. I had acid reflux issues and it felt so bad that I had a hard time breathing. I passed out and was taken to the ER. Withdrawal was terrible in fact I'm still going through it. I have had the worst anxiety of my life. My delusional beliefs were at an extreme high and I was so scared that I would break out crying. Every one of my worst thoughts was greatly emphasized on this med. I would have anxiety attacks and feel like I had to puke. I would not recommend this medication, TO ANYONE."

Elisabeth Stanford December 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I experienced horrible side effects with Geodon. I broke out in a rash over my entire body that itched like fiberglass. It took it for 21 days and it took another 21 days after stopping to finally stop getting new sores."

Huckleseed December 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Geodon since it came out. It has been a godsend for me. My mood had been stable for a long time. My last hospitalization was 2002. My results have been fantastic."

Pugsly46 (taken for 10 years or more) December 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I warn you to be VERY careful with regards to this medication. I started taking it in July 2012, and was at one point up to 120 mg a day. ( I absolutely no longer see the "Dr" who had me on such a high dose) It caused me to suffer neurological damage that took over a year to correct itself. I had involuntary muscle movements, rocking motions, tremors, as well as having to learn how to walk again normally, as it caused marked damage to the left side of my body. I was treated with physical therapy twice for the condition this medication left my body in. It is just not worth it!!! Do your research, as I am sure you are, since you are in this forum. This medication is even more dangerous than desribed!!"

A Ny gal November 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My Dr. switched me from Risperidone to Geodon because of weight gain. I had taken Geodon back in 2002 and didn't have any side effects that I can recall. However this time it was a nightmare. As soon as I started taking it I felt sick. The side effects I experienced: Sore throat, cough, sore throat glands, restlessness, acid indigestion, heartburn, belching, depression, rash on my neck, loss of appetite, back pain, joint pain, flatulence, hot flashes, insomnia, unable to stay asleep, exhausted. I was on it for 2 1/2 weeks. My Dr. told me to stop cold turkey. The withdrawal was hell. I was dizzy for a week, hot flashes, chills, shaking, nauseous, vomiting, terrible spasms in my thighs. It took about 8 days for me to feel better."

Jillypopcorn November 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started this medicine about 2 months ago. The first week was hell, had to call and get the approval to cut from 80mg to 40mg at bedtime. I was falling asleep right after taking it. Couldn't stay awake for anything. After reducing to 40mg it's been wonderful. It's made my appetite almost non existent, which for me is nice. I currently take 600 mg 3x daily of Gabapentin, 20 mg of Lexapro in the am, 40 mg of Geodon at bedtime, and 0.5 mg of Ativan as needed. This combo for me, has saved my sanity! I finally feel somewhat normal (which has been life changing)."

Wishful_thinking (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have, very recently, started taking this medicine. The doctor seemed very adamant that it would set me straight and make me super tired and sedate as well, potentially helping treat my somniphobia as well as the bipolar. The medication has made me so manic that I am having mixed bipolar episodes and seriously feel like jumping out of my own skin. While I appreciate not being so depressed that I'm laying on the floor crying my eyes out, I do not enjoy jittering and being so amped up that I start screaming every time something frustrates me. I am so manic that it is surreal. So much for Geodon helping me out XD"

JessiMahtnarg September 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I went on this drug because I was gaining too much weight on zyprexa. I've lost some weight so far but literally feel like shit everyday. Feel sick too my stomach and can barely keep my eyes open throughout the day. If I forget too take it I can't fall asleep and I've never had that problem with other meds."

Kylemarsh August 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm confused about comments. Do most bi- polar 1 patients find Geodon taken before sleep helps sleeplessness? I have been taking Geodon the last 6 months and weaned myself off of lithium. The only side affect I have with Geodon is sleeplessness. Is Geodon more effective taken in the evening? I see my Dr.in a month, I will bring up patient responses to Geodon,taken before bedtime. I'm willing to try! "

SuperB (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 19, 2016

"Bad side effects!"

PostmodenistCupie (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Geodon changed my life. The first thing that happened was it was VERY sedating. Within an hour of taking it I was asleep so deeply that I could not be woken up no matter what happened. You could yell, shake me, nothing would wake me. I did not wake up groggy though and within 3 days my mind no longer raced and I started thinking clearly. As time went on the sedating effect lessened though it took a really long time. While I'm on it my brain just isn't mean to me and I sleep like a normal person. Tough to start as you need someone who can be with you in case there is an emergency because you will not be able to wake up or move for hours but it works. I wouldn't trade it for the world."

Rametteperegrine (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"i have been bipolar since the age of 21 im now 28 was put on zyprexa for 6 years changed this med because i was gaining too much weight im now 3 and half months on geodon in combination with zoloft all i can say this medication sucks it makes me more manic than ever my doc want me to try lithium i hope ill get better result... been sleeping 3 hours in the night for weeks this was the worst medication i have ever been and i only been on Zyprexa...i started on 80mg now im on 120mg dont reccomend dont try this drug!!!"

Bigbangaz (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was in a very bad place at the time I started taking it. My doctor wanted to ween me off of Effexor after 7 years of 300mg of it. I'll tell you coming off the Effexor is like coming off hard drugs like heroine! I'm not sure if the Zeldox (what they call geodon in Canada) was helping or making it worse. I officially got off the effexor after 10 weeks of weening and I'm still currently on 80mg of Zeldox. I will say you have to eat with this med or else you're really only giving your body half of what you're putting in it. I'm a week into lithium at 600mg. I'm feeling fantastic, but I'm thinking about weening off of the Zeldox, I do not believe its being effective and I'm just getting negative side effects from it."

Denny0505 July 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For Bipolar . This medicine was Very Dangerous to me. Within the first 2 weeks of being on 30 mg twice a day, I had 2 Seizures. Never have had a seizure in my 45 years of living. Had very bad hallucinations Rapid eye movement during the day, and was worse after any caffeine or cigarette. Had an episode while driving and could not control my actions, went off the road, thru a ditch and into a tree. 2 Fractured Vertabrae, many bruises, concussion. Stopped taking this drug. Thankfully I didn't kill anyone or myself. Finally 2 weeks after I stopped taking, I am finally getting a clear head. But still in Pain from the accident! Would NOT Recommend this Junk for anyone!!"

eggo (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2016