User Reviews for Effexor XR

Learn more about Effexor XR.

Effexor XR Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Effexor XR to treat Depression

"Wow, is all I can say. Was hospitalized for extreme depression after trying to take my own life and all I can say is that this drug change my life. It has been one year on it and I am so much happier. I have no side effects from taking this plus I have so much more energy."

Bryan Of Canada September 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm a middle aged professional that's dealt with depression and anxiety since my teen years. I've tried many different types of medications that target anxiety and depression, albeit with mixed results. My depression, stress, and anxiety levels had gotten worse within the last year (haven't been on any medications for over 10 years), so I went to see my doctor. I've been taking Effexor for about a month now and it's, by far, given me the most relief over any previous med. Stress levels have gone way down as I no longer tend to ruminate on things out of my control. It's much easier to drop the negative thinking and move on to something else. Anxiety and depression have also been greatly reduced. No major side effects for me (at 37.5)"

Golf2Relax (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on this medication for about a year and never felt like it ever did anything other than make me irritable and kill my sex drive. It was extremely hard to wean off the 75mg dose which is a comparatively low dose. All up it took me about 6 months to come off it completely and the withdrawal effects after missing a dose would begin within just a few hours (brain zaps, twitchy etc). What I'm amazed about is the fact the doctor who put me on it initially didn't tell me any of the side effects and didn't warn me how hard it was to come off. I realise it probably works for some people but as a dispensary tech I see people coming in who are taking 300mg of this stuff a day. I shudder to think how hard it will be for them to stop this drug."

pushupstairs August 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So I have OCD, Depression, Panic Disorder, Anxiety, Possible ADD and I have been on many different medications for the past ten years and this medication has relieved my symptoms. Before taking this medication I was takin Luvox 300mg and Valium as needed. Before that I was taking all sorts, up to 5 different ones at a time including Seroquel which put in weight. I now feel more cheerful, not depressed, less obsessive thoughts, less anxiety and can concentrate better. I now feel I can do more in my life. I am also less moody. I am currently taking Efexor XR 150mg."

Cammando (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started Effexor 75XR today. I've read the reviews and choose to look at the positive reviews as I have had Anxiety most of my life and experiencing depression due to long term horrible marriage and divorce. I had been taking Valium but don't like that its addictive and the generics are not effective. I simply want to be my happy self and alter the depressive rut I've fallen into. My first bottle is generic and I've applied for a drug card for Brand from manufacturer. Took a few hours ago with breakfast, I expect good results. I want to be happy again and I believe this is half the battle."

SusanW50 (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have tried every SSRI except luvox and this is the only one that did anything. However it takes at least a month to work. However I went out of country and had my carotid veins widened and this extra blood flow has taken away all mental health issues or need for drugs..."

Bunsdad (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ineffective for me. I had to stop taking it twice and the withdrawal was AWFUL! It was like what I would imagine heroin withdrawal from heroin. I highly suggest NO one use this drug for that reason."

ironyman (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been tapering off Effexor for the past few weeks. I was originally prescribed 150 mg per day and the dose was too much for me. I was brought down to 112.5 and stayed on that dose for almost 2 years. My mood was greatly improved and my anxiety nearly non-existent. The downside was that I was ALWAYS tired and taking naps constantly -- most of my weekends were spent sleeping. I'd drink a few cups of coffee in the morning and I could barely keep my eyes open. I became a napper and would nap for 2-4 hours at a shot. I became extremely lazy and gained about 25 pounds due to a complete lack of energy. The side effects of missing a dose were extreme nausea and horrible headaches."

HollisKate (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug is heaven. I feel no side effects whatsoever. Just 37.5mg a day keeps my depression symptoms at bay. The only minor complaint is a lower sex drive, but that is a given side-effect with antidepressants in general."

Dancer563 June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just started taking Effexor xr a little over a month ago. I was extremely tired the whole month (nothing would help that either, I took a 5 hour energy and fell asleep right after) and last night was my first night where I felt like myself for the first time in a few years. I am hopeful that this lasts and the exhaustion goes away. I have a cough but it's only really bad at night and have a small cough in the morning. My cycle seems a little off, I had spotting and then nothing so I'm not sure what is happening with that but I read that's a possible side effect as well."

SeaMom (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take 300 mg effexor am and 15 mg mirtazapine pm just before I go to sleep. This combination has worked very well for me and the only side effect I really have is a bit of dry mouth but that's probably exacerbated by smoking. For me, they counteract each others side effects at these dosages cause at 225mg effexor and 30mg mirtazapine I had an insatiable appetite at night time!"

Paul619 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking 75mg for a little over a month, I've seen a positive difference for sure! There are so many bad reviews on the drug and it made me worry but being on it has really changed my life in ways. My depression is so much better, I don't take as many naps as I used to, my headaches are a little better, and it's even helped me with irritable bowel syndrome. It's still hard to focus sometimes, but not bad. I don't have many side effects on 75mg -- I have crazy dreams sometimes but it's not bad! And I think I might be a bit more hungry. Although, if I miss a dose by a few hours I will definitely feel it. I start to get a migraine and have to take the med right away. This really worked for me and I hope it could help someone else!"

Bay0315 May 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed 37.5 mg of Effexor (raised to 75 mg after a week) after going off Zoloft, for depression, GAD, and Panic Disorder. I took it for about 2 months and it was horrible. I had terrible insomnia and when I managed to sleep, I had night terrors that resulted in me waking up multiple times in the middle of the night sweating through my sheets. My depression became so much worse, suicidal thoughts/self-harm ideation more rampant, and I had panic attacks at least every second day, sometimes more than once a day. I had a public nervous breakdown before I finally went off it and was prescribed Escitalopram instead. The difference was like night and day. Effexor is definitely not for everyone."

AnPan (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Does anyone have a cough With taking Effexor XR? This has helped me a lot. I had been on Zoloft, Paxil, Prozac and Effexor was the best. Feel more normal and have taken it since 2008. It does cause constipation. I tried going off of it once and I was back on it within 3 days. It was horrible. Does anyone have neck pain with it or maybe it's something else going on for me."

Digger49 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was prescribed Effexor XR 75mg in 2015 for depression. I was on it for 7 months. It helped at first, but not in a healthy way. It kinda just kept me calm and numb to my surroundings. It was almost like some type of fake permanent trance that helped me to not be able to focus for more than a couple seconds on issues. Just a constant blur, I had absolutely no feelings. Whether it be love or hate.....I had nothing. I didn't care about anything, nothing seemed to bother me. Then I started to have memory loss along with brain zaps every night before bed. I quit cold turkey because I knew I had to save myself. I now suffer with sleep paralysis and occasional brain zaps, two years later. I believe they are 2 lifetime side effects caused by this drug."

G_Mal (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lifted me out of a deep, dark depression at 450 mg/day combined with Remeron 45 mg/day."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The positive: it has an almost immediate effect, from Day One there's a lift in mood. Effexor XR Also gives a feeling of energy, both mental and physical. I've also noticed a significant decrease in my social anxiety, I can talk to anyone without feeling nervous - this 'extra' effect began, again, on Day One. The negative: slight feelings of nausea with a definite decrease in appetite. I don't really enjoy my meals as much while on Effexor. I've also noticed a form of a insominia since starting - early awakenings and not being able to get back to sleep."

Billy Bones (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Effexor for about 2 years. It's changed my life completely. Before I went to rehab and before I was on it, I couldn't get out of bed for days at a time. It gives me energy and motivation! However, the withdrawal symptoms are horrific. If I miss a dose, I get severe headaches. I feel like there are fireworks going off in my head. Last year, I had to go the ER because I couldn't breathe or stop shaking after 3 weeks of cutting it cold turkey (due to an insurance error). This is definitely not the drug for people who regularly miss doses or have problems with addiction pills. It's not for everyone, but works great for me."

jaydemarie (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started off with 75mg and have stayed on it ever since because I found no reason to change it. The first day I could feel this medication working, it was a little much at first but nothing I couldn't handle. But I soon noticed that it took all my emotions away and made me dull to everything going on around me and in my life. Most don't like that but I really do, I feel as if I have no cares in the world at all. Nothing goes through my head at all, its like magic. It takes me a little bit to actually get my brain going and operating but thats fine with me. Sleep and sex drive has gone down but I still get the sleep need and if I need to preform I can. I just don't have the desire to want sex. Its changed my life in such good ways."

KingGrilz February 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Effexor changed my life. I was suffering from bad depression for over two years due to something that happened in my life. I couldn't get the thoughts out of my mind. So daily, I would feel sad and depressed. I started with Wellbutrin, which I liked for depression and energy, but it made my anxiety which I also have worse. Anyways back to Effexor. The first 2 weeks taking effexor were kinda horrible. I felt weird, tired, and I was thinking of stopping this medication. But I stuck with it. I have to say I feel normal again, and my depression is gone. Even if I think of my past, I don't get sad anymore. So thank you Effexor"

Loveurlife February 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am ready to start this ! I'm nervous of the side effects but so tired of crying all the time for small reasons ? I work 11-7a don't know when to start this ? Mornings or nights ? I hope it helps me ? 37.5 for one month then up to 75 mg a day ! Any suggestions will help"

Cathyjerome February 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used Effexor XR for depression and anxiety for almost two (2) years. Effexor has terrible anxiety and nausea first several days. I started 37.5 with .5 Clonazepam in the morning and before night, then upped to 75mg. Clonazepam was removed once my sleep was restored. Great Drug gave me life and energy. Side effects lowered erection, sex drive and orgasm. Kept me going well, gave much more energy comparing to Lexapro. Getting off after 2 years was not a problem. I was slowly reducing dose each 2-3 weeks."

Osg January 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder with depression and anxiety in 2001 at the age of 34...it took a couple of years for my psychiatrist to find the right combination of drug therapy that would work for me.....I take 40mg of prozac daily all year...seasonally in the fall and winter effexor xr is added to stabelize my depression..starting with 37.5mg and titrated up to 75mg twice a day until spring gets close and like all creatures I am ready to enjoy the sunshine again and it is titrated back down over 3 weeks and stopped ...this has worked very well for me along with a low dose of xanax bid prn..."

trippsnannie November 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was one Effexor for almost 4 weeks to treat dissociation/derealization that was caused from too high of dosages of Zoloft and Celexa. I went from 12.5mg twice a day to 37.5mg twice a day over 3 weeks. I had horrible headaches and blurry vision the entire time. By the third week, the dissociation was MOSTLY gone, but then I was having random panic episodes where I thought I was losing my mind and just didn't want to live anymore. The psychiatrist thought the extended release would ease that symptom, and it made it worse. I went from not wanting to live with dissociation, to not wanting to live at all. I've been tapering off over the past few days, and I was awaken at 5am this morning with HORRIBLE anxiety and suicidal thoughts, and my husband tried calming me down but I barely felt like I knew or recognized him. Both my psychologist and the head of psychiatry at Mayo Clinic agreed I need to stop taking it immediately (take 1/2 of 25mg if I experience "brain zaps" or any horrible side effects) but this medication is NOT for me, and they're thinking no SSRI or SSNI chemically reacts well with me after trying 3 and having worse side effects than what I was taking it for. I haven't been out to eat with my husband in 4 months. Everything in the world now looks different, and I still have anxiety and blurry vision, and as this medication leaves my system in the next few days, I pray my mind will get back to the way it was 4 months ago. Thank you and I hope everyone going through anything horrible with Effexor finds relief soon."

KE1991 (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I experienced increasing blood pressure with increasing dosage, an immediate and drastic decreased libido compared with being on Zoloft, weight gain increased with increasing dosage, and worst of all was almost dying when I decreased the dose. I had dizzy spells with shortness of breath after weaning from 225mg down to 150mg despite gradual dose reduction. Once I got to approximately 187.5mg over the course of two weeks I read recommendations to cut 37.5mg at a time and went to 150mg. I experienced near syncope multiple times, heart rhythm abnormalities with pulse varying at rest from 67 to 105, and shortness of breath. pulse oximeter indicated drop to 85% sats and no pulse."

Frayed (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 10, 2016