User Reviews for Effexor XR

Learn more about Effexor XR.

Effexor XR Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 222 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Effexor XR to treat Depression

"I used Effexor XR for depression and anxiety for almost two (2) years. Effexor has terrible anxiety and nausea first several days. I started 37.5 with .5 Clonazepam in the morning and before night, then upped to 75mg. Clonazepam was removed once my sleep was restored. Great Drug gave me life and energy. Side effects lowered erection, sex drive and orgasm. Kept me going well, gave much more energy comparing to Lexapro. Getting off after 2 years was not a problem. I was slowly reducing dose each 2-3 weeks."

Osg January 6, 2017

"I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder with depression and anxiety in 2001 at the age of 34...it took a couple of years for my psychiatrist to find the right combination of drug therapy that would work for me.....I take 40mg of prozac daily all year...seasonally in the fall and winter effexor xr is added to stabelize my depression..starting with 37.5mg and titrated up to 75mg twice a day until spring gets close and like all creatures I am ready to enjoy the sunshine again and it is titrated back down over 3 weeks and stopped ...this has worked very well for me along with a low dose of xanax bid prn..."

trippsnannie November 26, 2016

"I was one Effexor for almost 4 weeks to treat dissociation/derealization that was caused from too high of dosages of Zoloft and Celexa. I went from 12.5mg twice a day to 37.5mg twice a day over 3 weeks. I had horrible headaches and blurry vision the entire time. By the third week, the dissociation was MOSTLY gone, but then I was having random panic episodes where I thought I was losing my mind and just didn't want to live anymore. The psychiatrist thought the extended release would ease that symptom, and it made it worse. I went from not wanting to live with dissociation, to not wanting to live at all. I've been tapering off over the past few days, and I was awaken at 5am this morning with HORRIBLE anxiety and suicidal thoughts, and my husband tried calming me down but I barely felt like I knew or recognized him. Both my psychologist and the head of psychiatry at Mayo Clinic agreed I need to stop taking it immediately (take 1/2 of 25mg if I experience "brain zaps" or any horrible side effects) but this medication is NOT for me, and they're thinking no SSRI or SSNI chemically reacts well with me after trying 3 and having worse side effects than what I was taking it for. I haven't been out to eat with my husband in 4 months. Everything in the world now looks different, and I still have anxiety and blurry vision, and as this medication leaves my system in the next few days, I pray my mind will get back to the way it was 4 months ago. Thank you and I hope everyone going through anything horrible with Effexor finds relief soon."

KE1991 (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2016

"I experienced increasing blood pressure with increasing dosage, an immediate and drastic decreased libido compared with being on Zoloft, weight gain increased with increasing dosage, and worst of all was almost dying when I decreased the dose. I had dizzy spells with shortness of breath after weaning from 225mg down to 150mg despite gradual dose reduction. Once I got to approximately 187.5mg over the course of two weeks I read recommendations to cut 37.5mg at a time and went to 150mg. I experienced near syncope multiple times, heart rhythm abnormalities with pulse varying at rest from 67 to 105, and shortness of breath. pulse oximeter indicated drop to 85% sats and no pulse."

Frayed (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 10, 2016

"Effexor XR saved my life! I had severe clinical depression for one year, and my doctor tried 8 different antidepressants on me, all to no avail. I sought the help of a psychopharmacologist in Palo Alto, Ca. He met with me for 90 minutes, did an evaluation, and prescribed Effexor XR for me. He stairstepped me up to 300mg/day within 12 days, and within 2 weeks I felt like my old self again. It felt miraculous. I may be on it for the rest of my life, but I don't mind one bit. I am enjoying life again!"

Fognurse November 6, 2016

"I've been taking Effexor for 5 months now and I can say it definitely has worked for me. It can take time to actually start working though so give it some time. The only downfall is if I forget to take it for a day, I start getting dizzy, brain zaps, and headaches. I am now waiting to refill it and haven't taken it for about a week and the symptoms are still occurring. Even with that said, I would recommend this medicine for depression/anxiety. I no longer cry all the time for no reason. Definitely has changed my life (:"

Tay_marie (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 3, 2016

"My experience with Effexor was abnormal but still scary. My psychiatrist prescribed me 37.5 mg of Effexor XR. After a few days of taking it, I had a decrease in appetite, nausea, upset stomach, and some dizziness but I was told that was normal. However, after a week, I felt as though I had no more emotions. My memory became terrible and I felt emotionally dead inside l. Some moments I couldn't get out of bed and others, I couldn't sit still. After two weeks, she increased my dose to 75 mg. Within two hours of taking that dose, I was rushed to the ER because of intense stomach upset, diahrrea and dangerously low blood pressure whenever I stood or sat up. After the ER, I quit cold turkey and had withdrawal symptoms for only a week."

Piri (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2016

"Truly wish I had accepted my depression and sought help years ago. This medication has completely cleared my mind and has helped me dramatically in the first two weeks of use. Although it caused insomnia for the first two days of use and I felt like a space cadet for the first 3 it helped me ease my moods and somewhat doesn't even allow my mind to wander into negative feelings. Highly recommended seeking help and support with this medication although I do suggest beginning treatment over the weekend to be adjusted before a work week."

FreddieMax (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2016

"I was on Effexor for almost 2 years starting on the lowest dose til I was just about on the highest - then my doctor decided to try something else as this one wasn't working anymore - I was really hard work coming off them"

Kelleyz1409 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 30, 2016

"I was on Effexor XR for almost 4 months for major depression and anxiety. It caused stomach upset which got worse with every increase in dosage.( I also suffer with IBS so it was hard to tell for a while if it was the Effexor or not.)The worst part however, was yet to come. I started spotting the 3rd month I was on it and by the 4th month on 150mg, I was bleeding as if I had my period every single day. My psychiatrist is tapering me off it and at 75mg now, I have less stomach pain and no bleeding. We will try Zoloft next."

Nika776 September 23, 2016

"Male, 6'2", 150lb. I take 75mg of Effexor XR in the AM and 15mg of Remeron in the PM for suicidal depression and generalized anxiety. Some days I take higher doses of 112.5mg and 30mg. The combination has worked wonders for my condition. I started on Remeron initially and titrated to 45mg/day, but did not feel it was working for my depression, although it did help with sleep and appetite. I tried gabapentin for a while and was able to quit Remeron entirely for some time (wanted to give my receptors a break). Gabapentin was great for anxiety but made me more suicidal. I quit gabapentin and went back on just 15mg of Remeron, this time also adding the Effexor. I have been very happy with the results. It seems to be the first medication that really works for me. I had significant side effects when starting Effexor, but they subsided completely after about a week- feeling high much like MDMA, and I had diarrhea and some insomnia. When I increased from 37.5 to 75 mg, the only con I noticed was lower energy level (and some yawning). I started drinking some coffee to help with that. This is a very serious medication to be taking, as I know it can be very hard to withdraw from; however, I am committed to sticking with it. Eventually may increase my dose up to 150mg. Effexor makes me feel very mellow. I am less concerned about what people think of me. I am quite confident with the ladies. My sex life has been better than ever on this med combination. I have wondered if my sense of humor is dulled, however. I am also somewhat lazy, but this may change when I go up to a higher dose. Risk-taking behaviors should be watched when increasing the dose, as I broke my ankle playing sports. Overall, I give this medication 9/10 and am very happy that I got the script. I recommend taking it with Remeron to better manage the nighttime, and to counteract the side effects. They have a wonderful synergy. My only concern is that they may eventually stop working, and I may eventually have to stop taking them and suffer the infamous withdrawals."

Roger33 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 13, 2016

"Adding just 37.5mg of Effexor to my 15mg of Remeron had quite an impressive effect for my depression and anxiety. I titrated to 75mg and have stuck with that for several months with great results. This is the first medication that I feel has truly worked for me. (In the past, I've taken bupropion, hydroxyzine, propranolol, gabapentin). The combination with mirtazapine makes for almost a perfect synergy. I feel that I have achieved true therapy and healing since I started taking "california rocket fuel"."

Duckyjwalker (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 11, 2016

"I have been on Effexor for over 5 years now and I cannot imagine life without it. I was crying all the time for no reason....my dr. Put me on 75 mg a day and it made me extremely anxious. He then upped it to 150 mg per day and I have no side effects and function great! The only side effect I have noticed is: if I forget to take it I start to feel dizzy after a few hours and by night am crying."

Bonfire Blast September 1, 2016

"I started on the lowest dose about a year ago, I was use to taking my meds at night. Seeing I take 2 different meds for neuropathy, its just easier to remember to take all meds before bed. Well Effexor literally had me up for 2 days straight, so I contacted my doctor who said to start taking it in the morning. I am now on 225mg every morning, and am doing better. I do take it for depression, & anxiety which I have fought with since I was a teen. Effexor is the only one that has truly help, and I haven't giving up on."

Mjackson1981 August 23, 2016

"I experienced a very low libido, very few erections, and dry orgasms."

Edward Barker (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 26, 2016

"Didn't find it a whole lot different from SSRIs other than a couple weeks of jitters. Starts off with a contented, floaty feeling and then after a month subsides to having a minor, yet meaningful effect in helping me recover from recurrent depressive episodes. It helps, but only marginally. The withdrawal effects I've experienced going cold turkey off it numerous times are strange. A couple months of severe flu-like symptoms and I'll cry very easily over anything even remotely sad. Also causes me to start rapid-cycling between euphoria, mixed and extreme depression. Also lasts a couple months. Going off of it abruptly is quite terrifying. I recommend titrating off it."

Kyle BC (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 25, 2016

"Effexor XR really has been working wonders on my life. It has relieved me of a lot of my depression while still giving me my energy, unlike SSRIs. If weight gain is a problem for you and you have depression, definitely try an SNRI first. As you may or may not know, Wellbutrin is another antidepressant that is supposed to encourage weight loss while relieving depression. It affects norepinephrine and dopamine. I tried Wellbutrin awhile ago, and failed miserably on it due to the anxiety it brought on. Therefore, I was hesitant at first because I heard that Effexor XR affects norepinephrine as well. However, it has been completely the opposite. I have gone from constantly laying in bed all day long to wanting to get up and exercise."

Vin992211 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2016

"I wouldn't recommend this medication to my worst enemy. Although it seemed to work in a mild sense for my anxiety, when I missed even one dose, I paid dire consequences. I would wake up the next day dizzy, unable to see straight, started experiencing migraines, and would sweat day and night. I wish that my healthcare provider would have warned me of the detoxes before I accepted this treatment."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2016

"Made depression worst ,was not effective even at 150 mg. I got an understanding of why people become alcoholics or drug abusers on Effexor/Venlafaxine. I would lay in bed all day waiting for life to pass by. I never had feelings of despair so severe. If I mised a dose or waited for an hour later to take Effexor I had an intense "Rush". I would pace around like on cocaine or speed. You cannot stop taking this medication. I am still trying to get off it! When I reduced my dose I had a drunk effect with nausea I just felt so awful. I consider this to be a drug that shoudnt be prescribed. Celexa and zoloft "robot drug"worked well on me for anxiety and depression but I do NOT recommend this medication. Going back to Elavil"

ladybug33 June 20, 2016

"I've been taking Effexor for about six months. within the first month I was up to 150mg. Since then I no longer have depression. I do have some moments of depression but not days/weeks. I do not have any panic attacks anymore! I'm not nearly as nervous as I was before Effexor. HOWEVER, my first week on Effexor was hell. I was extremely anxious, teeth chattering, night sweats, buzzing headache. and after months on Effexor if I miss one dose I get brain zaps. I'm also having vivid dreams. good dreams and bad ones. THIS MEDICINE TAKES TIME"

blondielocks June 18, 2016

"primary care doctor started me on effexor xr 75, increased to 150 after 1 month. I was still very depressed and went to a psychitrist, crying at the first visit. she said it was melancholic and immediately doubled the dose to 300/day. It worked very well at the high dose, which I took for 4 years. it was more effective and continued to be the whole 4 years. best of all i had tried (paxil, celexa, lexapro, wellbutrin). i seemed to be in remission, we began tapering down. went to 150 for 1 month, then 75 for 1 month then stopped. i got the foggy feeling and "brain zaps" but a temporary increase in my klonopin dose for a week and i felt fine. i should mention i went through alcohol and opiate withdrawal before, so this seemed not that bad."

ewh75 June 17, 2016

"Took first dose of 75mg before bed. Fell asleep at 1030 and slept well, actually. Woke up at 530 with eyes wide open as if i just had 10 espressos. It's now 630 and I don't have to be out of bed until 7. Can't sleep anymore. Feeling jittery with jaw clenching and teeth chattering when I open my mouth a little. Hands are sweating. I feel a little emotionally numb. Slight ringing in ears and slight headache with slight nausea. I feel peaceful but dull. Not sure if I will take again."

Lylalola84 June 1, 2016

"I have been on effexor xr for 11 years now and it works wonderfully for me. The only side effect was dry mouth and constipation. It.s not for every patient. Always contact your doctor if your symptoms worsen."

depression/free May 28, 2016

"I suffered depression and anxiety at a very difficult time in my life 5 years ago and have been on efexor 75mg since then... it took the edge off highly stressful situations and helped me to cope in a calm and positive way :) Life has been good since then, even though family problems have endured (thankfully to a lesser extent)... side effect of nausea was to be expected during first few weeks but after that no problems at all... effexor has been a wonder for me... :):):)"

pealove May 23, 2016

"Horrific side effects and incredibly difficult to wean off of as well because of the withdrawal symptoms. When I first started taking it, I felt some relief but it didn't last very long. I'd taken Lexapro and Zoloft in the past and felt that, over time, they were no longer helpful in treating my depression which is why my doctor put me on Effexor. It took me a while to realize this medication was worsening my depression symptoms and I didn't realize it until after a botched suicide attempt. I don't recommend this medication to ANYONE for any reason. Worst of the worst as far as I'm concerned. It'll trick your brain for a little while into thinking you're improving but the depression and anxiety will come back and hit you ten times worse!"

cd87925 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 12, 2016