User Reviews for Effexor XR to treat Depression

Effexor XR Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 191 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Effexor XR

Teppum June 4, 2020

“I had severe anxiety in 2016, it was truly crippling. Along with panic attacks and thinking I was dying all the time, I experienced depersonalization/derealization every day. Effexor XR truly saved my life. I take my pills at night, and if I miss one dose, I know immediately the next day by how I feel. It’s a horrible feeling. I also described it as my head was skipping, but I see others describe it as brain zaps. That’s truly what it feels like. Besides that though, this medication changed everything for me.”

Gamergirl4283 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 15, 2020

“Effexor was by far the worst medication I have taken. If you miss even 1 dose within hours you are sick and having withdrawal symptoms. It took a good 6 months before the brain zaps stopped. Run away. It's terrible.”

Ginnie · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 10, 2020

“My neurologist prescribed me Effexor XR for nerve pain. I had a head injury from a car accident and have been suffering from facial nerve pain, neck injury, and depression. This drug has improved my quality of life. I highly recomend it for nerve pain. I started out taking 37.5mg for a month. Then, 75mg. The 75mg dose works for me. It took 6 weeks for me to feel the benefits.”

Mickey · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 27, 2020

“I have only been taking Effexor for a little over 2 months and noticed that if I was even an hour late taking my daily dose I’d feel nauseous and anxious. I also began to notice that I was feeling nauseous anytime I didn’t have a full stomach, so weight gain was inevitable. I decided this drug was making my physical symptoms seriously distressing enough to outweigh any good it may be doing. I was shocked at how awful the withdrawal symptoms have been even though I was only on it for two months at a dose of 75mg. I’ve been experiencing nausea and “brain zaps” for two weeks now. My GP put me on Effexor, but after meeting a psychiatrist at a dinner function & casually asking her thoughts on Effexor she said she doesn’t prescribe it, its withdrawal is so awful. I’m glad I’m getting off it, but alarmed at how nasty the withdrawal is, can't imagine how bad withdrawal would be for those at a higher dosage and for much longer than my 2 months.”

KitKat February 23, 2020

“I have been on Celexa in the past and had done well on it until the last few months, so my therapist recommended that I be switched to something else. Effexor XR was suggested as part of my treatment plan. For the first two weeks, I was on 37.5 milligrams + 10 milligrams of Citalopram and seemed to do well on it. After that, I was supposed to double the dosage up to 75 milligrams. When I doubled the dosage, my body had horrible side effects: I missed a full week of work; I was not sleeping; I was sweating in my sleep; I was starting to argue with my fiance over stupid things; and it caused suicidal ideation. I ended up in the hospital, missed more work, back at the hospital again trying to seek more treatment, and had to see my therapist twice in one week demanding a new medication. I have been off of this medication for a week and have been on Paxil (a drug that is in the same family as Citalopram) and have been doing well - like much, much better.”

Emily Forever Free · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 22, 2020

“Withdrawal is the worst. These drugs rob you of life's pleasures for sure. Only take the drugs after you try nutrition, exercise, meditation, any great behavioral techniques. Take it to stay alive only. Pray unceasing for another method that helps more. I moved away from a violent area which helped me greatly. I am well and happy now in Oklahoma.”

Tawnya · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 18, 2020

“I take 150mg time released effexor, I am dealing with a head injury for 6 months now. I have been on Effexor since. I have no side effects and it has really helped me with my anxiety, nervousness and depression. This medicine is such a life saver, I can go to work and be around people. I don’t know where I would be without this medication.”

hiddenvalleyranch · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 13, 2020

“My brain zaps are not brief or jolting. They are the worst headache if my life lasting hours, waking me from sleep, unable to speak, move, any eye movement increases the pain tenfold. Today I had so much pain I was nauseous. Once it was so bad I couldn't speak. Taking effexor xr 150 qd. setting up an appointment with a psychiatrist who specialized in transcranial magnetic therapy, ketamine and other advanced therapies to get off this stuff female, age 55, on effexor 1.5 yrs for depression, social anxiety.”

Crazy4Effexor · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 11, 2020

“I originally started on the regular effexor when I was 16 after a suicide attempt while on prozac. This was literally a life saver for me! Switched to XR when it became available. I was on it for about 3 yrs, before deciding I no longer wanted to be anchored down by antidepressants. The withdrawals sucked...but didn't last long. I'm considering going back on it and am now 37 yrs old.”

Grateful · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 4, 2020

“Everyone's different, for me this one's a LIFE SAVER! My depression began 15yrs ago. In 2014 I hit my lowest point. Previous dr had me on several meds that didn't mix well together. That whole year is a blur, I don't remember any of it except for the few grand mal seizures they caused. Eventually attempted suicide with one of the meds and ended up in a mental hospital twice within a month. My new psychiatrist took me off everything and started me on this, topped out at 150mg (which I am to this day, 6yrs later, still taking). I can't thank that psychiatrist and this miracle drug enough. Taking with Bupropion (Wellbutrin) and I'm not sure which one, but I believe one of them has got rid of my sex drive. I prefer no sex drive over that really dark place I was in. Also, if I miss taking them a couple of days in a row (again, not sure which one is causing it) I experience extreme vertigo.. not fun. Other than that, I have no other complaints just absolute gratefulness. LOVE IT!”

Mikey77 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 28, 2020

“Have taken Prozac, Zoloft, bupropion XR on and off over the years. Nothing has snapped me out of a major depression episode quicker than this Effexor. Already take 80mg strattera for ADD. Venlafaxine kicked in almost immediately and has been tremendously helpful. I have read all the horror stories about going off of it but I was desperate for relief and this really did the trick. I don't want to be on it forever tho.”

Ryan January 23, 2020

“This drug is by far the best anti depression meds I’ve taken and I’ve been on since age 17 (now 34) of you miss a day you will be very emotional but other than that I haven’t noticed many bad side effects. My depression is great now and has been for year the only negative is my lack in sex drive and sleeping a lot. Not sure if that’s all the meds or just my lazy arse. Heard a lot of bad reviews but honestly I’ve been on it for 7 years and I think it’s great.”

sam · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 22, 2020

“Tired Effexor for PMDD mainly irritability and depression around period. No initial side effects (likely because I switched to it after not being able to tolerate Celexa). Started having night sweats. Stayed on for 6 weeks and don't feel it was helping and couldn't tolerate the night sweats so switched again (to Paxil) and doing well so far. Everyone responds differently need to stick it out to find what works for you.”

Veggieman923 · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 22, 2020

“I have been on Effexor XR for about ten years. I am moderate bi-polar depressive (per two doctors). I went off the medication after about two years - long time ago. Was okay for a while, and then my depression came roaring back. My doctor put me back on with 25 mg first, 50 mg and then 75 mg per day. Also taking lithium carbonate - three pills per day. I feel better 95% of the time. Some days, I feel the lows, but they are not as bad.”

SLilly · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 10, 2020

“PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE take my advice. If Effexor is working for you, don't quit! I took Effexor for 8 great years (anxiety and depression). Tapered and quit. Started again two months later to be on the safe side while going through a stressful period at work. Within 24 hours my life fell totally apart. Anxiety and depression through the roof. 18 months and 4 AD's later I am still a wreck. Losing hope.”

Joey G · Taken for less than 1 month January 8, 2020

“My head is exploding! What is this drug?”

Elle January 7, 2020

“Our son 16 yrs old was put on Effexor xr, in January 2019 for depression , after prozac wasn't working on him. The dose was slowly increased to 225mg, at the time his psychiatrist went on holiday and he developed dilated pupils, racing heart, jiggling, sweating, took him to the GP who immediately took an ECG, reduced his meds, said that he was developing seretonin syndrome. The psychiatrist did not have a replacement while away and had planned to add another antidepressant as effexor wasn't working. The reduction side effects have been horrible, made more manageable by using micronutrients but still losing a lot of school time. From August to December we have gone down from 225mg to 42, reductions have become smaller and slower as the dose reduces. Nausea, vomiting, dizziness, head zaps, fatigue, insomnia are his side effects. I wish I had done more homework. Since reading more, using it on under 18 is not recommended.”

Sueandbooboo · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 6, 2020

“This antidepressant saved my life! I’ve been taking this for at least 2 years and I haven’t noticed any side effects.”

the canary · Taken for 10 years or more December 25, 2019

“do not take this drug long term.... 20 years down the line when your lymph nodes start to swell you will remember this warning.”

Aks · Taken for less than 1 month December 24, 2019

“This stuff is AWFUL. Feels like MDMA but with only the bad effects. Jaw clenching, can't focus, nausea, shaking. I was literally scared. I called the advice nurse after trying to make myself throw it up because I felt so terrible. Stay AWAY from this drug.”

Prodigal · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 19, 2019

“31/m. I have been on Effexor XR generics for 5 years after nearly committing suicide at the age of 26. It has completely gotten rid of my suicidal ideation as well as tremendously reducing my depression and anxiety. Without it, I'm quite certain that I would not be alive today. After trying to get off of it a couple times and having those bad feeling come back, I have become resigned to the fact that I will likely be on this drug for life, but am okay with that to be honest. I don't really have any side effects from the drug, at least not that I am aware of. The reason I give it 8 stars is because if you ever DO want to get off of it, the withdrawal symptoms are absolutely horrendous.”

carilsa · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 18, 2019

“I was using Prozac and my Dr changed me to Effexor XR started with 75mg and up to 150mg and it been much better. I still have my moments of anxiety and sleeping but with other medication help me with both.. Without Effexor I get to emotional and super depressed.”

nickname · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 17, 2019

“This medication needs to be illegal. It did not help my depression, it caused significant weight gain, and if a dose was missed by 1+ hours, the side effects were severe. The withdrawal symptoms are more intense than I ever would have imagined and prescribing doctors do not warn patients against this. After beginning to taper off this medication, I experienced really dark thoughts and attempted suicide. I was in the ICU for a week and a psychiatric hospital for 4 weeks. Effexor almost cost me my life. Please don't risk yours by taking it.”

Tom · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 6, 2019

“Effexor gave me debilitating constant head pressure and back pain. Stay away from this rubbish! It should be illegal!”

Babyblue · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 25, 2019

“Zoloft stopped working for me so I switched to Effexor XR and the results are amazing. That and gabapentin has alleviated my depression and anxiety. I feel so much better. Downside is not to miss a dose or you feel it!”