User Reviews for Effexor XR

Learn more about Effexor XR.

Effexor XR Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 222 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Effexor XR to treat Depression

"I started on the lowest dose about a year ago, I was use to taking my meds at night. Seeing I take 2 different meds for neuropathy, its just easier to remember to take all meds before bed. Well Effexor literally had me up for 2 days straight, so I contacted my doctor who said to start taking it in the morning. I am now on 225mg every morning, and am doing better. I do take it for depression, & anxiety which I have fought with since I was a teen. Effexor is the only one that has truly help, and I haven't giving up on."

Mjackson1981 August 23, 2016

"I experienced a very low libido, very few erections, and dry orgasms."

Edward Barker (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 26, 2016

"Didn't find it a whole lot different from SSRIs other than a couple weeks of jitters. Starts off with a contented, floaty feeling and then after a month subsides to having a minor, yet meaningful effect in helping me recover from recurrent depressive episodes. It helps, but only marginally. The withdrawal effects I've experienced going cold turkey off it numerous times are strange. A couple months of severe flu-like symptoms and I'll cry very easily over anything even remotely sad. Also causes me to start rapid-cycling between euphoria, mixed and extreme depression. Also lasts a couple months. Going off of it abruptly is quite terrifying. I recommend titrating off it."

Kyle BC (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 25, 2016

"Effexor XR really has been working wonders on my life. It has relieved me of a lot of my depression while still giving me my energy, unlike SSRIs. If weight gain is a problem for you and you have depression, definitely try an SNRI first. As you may or may not know, Wellbutrin is another antidepressant that is supposed to encourage weight loss while relieving depression. It affects norepinephrine and dopamine. I tried Wellbutrin awhile ago, and failed miserably on it due to the anxiety it brought on. Therefore, I was hesitant at first because I heard that Effexor XR affects norepinephrine as well. However, it has been completely the opposite. I have gone from constantly laying in bed all day long to wanting to get up and exercise."

Vin992211 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2016

"I wouldn't recommend this medication to my worst enemy. Although it seemed to work in a mild sense for my anxiety, when I missed even one dose, I paid dire consequences. I would wake up the next day dizzy, unable to see straight, started experiencing migraines, and would sweat day and night. I wish that my healthcare provider would have warned me of the detoxes before I accepted this treatment."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2016

"Made depression worst ,was not effective even at 150 mg. I got an understanding of why people become alcoholics or drug abusers on Effexor/Venlafaxine. I would lay in bed all day waiting for life to pass by. I never had feelings of despair so severe. If I mised a dose or waited for an hour later to take Effexor I had an intense "Rush". I would pace around like on cocaine or speed. You cannot stop taking this medication. I am still trying to get off it! When I reduced my dose I had a drunk effect with nausea I just felt so awful. I consider this to be a drug that shoudnt be prescribed. Celexa and zoloft "robot drug"worked well on me for anxiety and depression but I do NOT recommend this medication. Going back to Elavil"

ladybug33 June 20, 2016

"I've been taking Effexor for about six months. within the first month I was up to 150mg. Since then I no longer have depression. I do have some moments of depression but not days/weeks. I do not have any panic attacks anymore! I'm not nearly as nervous as I was before Effexor. HOWEVER, my first week on Effexor was hell. I was extremely anxious, teeth chattering, night sweats, buzzing headache. and after months on Effexor if I miss one dose I get brain zaps. I'm also having vivid dreams. good dreams and bad ones. THIS MEDICINE TAKES TIME"

blondielocks June 18, 2016

"primary care doctor started me on effexor xr 75, increased to 150 after 1 month. I was still very depressed and went to a psychitrist, crying at the first visit. she said it was melancholic and immediately doubled the dose to 300/day. It worked very well at the high dose, which I took for 4 years. it was more effective and continued to be the whole 4 years. best of all i had tried (paxil, celexa, lexapro, wellbutrin). i seemed to be in remission, we began tapering down. went to 150 for 1 month, then 75 for 1 month then stopped. i got the foggy feeling and "brain zaps" but a temporary increase in my klonopin dose for a week and i felt fine. i should mention i went through alcohol and opiate withdrawal before, so this seemed not that bad."

ewh75 June 17, 2016

"Took first dose of 75mg before bed. Fell asleep at 1030 and slept well, actually. Woke up at 530 with eyes wide open as if i just had 10 espressos. It's now 630 and I don't have to be out of bed until 7. Can't sleep anymore. Feeling jittery with jaw clenching and teeth chattering when I open my mouth a little. Hands are sweating. I feel a little emotionally numb. Slight ringing in ears and slight headache with slight nausea. I feel peaceful but dull. Not sure if I will take again."

Lylalola84 June 1, 2016

"I have been on effexor xr for 11 years now and it works wonderfully for me. The only side effect was dry mouth and constipation. It.s not for every patient. Always contact your doctor if your symptoms worsen."

depression/free May 28, 2016

"I suffered depression and anxiety at a very difficult time in my life 5 years ago and have been on efexor 75mg since then... it took the edge off highly stressful situations and helped me to cope in a calm and positive way :) Life has been good since then, even though family problems have endured (thankfully to a lesser extent)... side effect of nausea was to be expected during first few weeks but after that no problems at all... effexor has been a wonder for me... :):):)"

pealove May 23, 2016

"Horrific side effects and incredibly difficult to wean off of as well because of the withdrawal symptoms. When I first started taking it, I felt some relief but it didn't last very long. I'd taken Lexapro and Zoloft in the past and felt that, over time, they were no longer helpful in treating my depression which is why my doctor put me on Effexor. It took me a while to realize this medication was worsening my depression symptoms and I didn't realize it until after a botched suicide attempt. I don't recommend this medication to ANYONE for any reason. Worst of the worst as far as I'm concerned. It'll trick your brain for a little while into thinking you're improving but the depression and anxiety will come back and hit you ten times worse!"

cd87925 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 12, 2016

"It should be ILLEGAL to prescribe this drug. I have tried most antidepressents and never have i experienced such atrocious side effects from withdrawing. I have never written a review on anything but i was compelled to share the experience. again, it should be illegal to prescribe effexor xl."

poppy271 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 26, 2016

"Sadly only lasted 5 days on Effexor XR. The side effects from the 75mg dose was unlike anything I have experienced before. Within 10 hours of the first dose I had severe anxiety - something I had never experienced before. Within hours of second dose the extreme nausea came on. By day 3 I was pratically bed-ridden in cold sweats and feeling completely "out of it" . I persevered hoping the effects would begin to subside but by the 5th day I had severe nausea, couldn't get out of bed from feeling so sick, horrible tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and felt spaced out to the point that I began to wonder if I would ever feel "normal" again. Advised by GP to cease immediately on hearing my side effects."

Simesy (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2016

"I was prescribed effexor for anxiety which interfered with sleeping - worry about getting to sleep meant that I wouldn't sleep which made me feel exhausted, depressed and useless. I've also tried Zoloft and Luvox which didn't do anything. CBT and mindfulness were also pretty useless - just made me slightly more obsessive about my weird problems with getting to sleep. Effexor has been amazing. Apart from some insomnia and lightheadedness during the first week I don't have any side effects. I don't have the same obsessive and weird anxious thoughts over getting to sleep or other minor things which preoccupied me and made me feel dreadful. I sleep well and my head feels so clear."

StephanieKandS (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 20, 2016

"I just wanted to die while going through withdrawal, while tapering off very gradually and for six months afterwards. Longer term effects are too painful to write about right now. Avoid."

Jane A April 17, 2016

"I was put on effexor for severe depression at 75mg. This got raised every time it stopped working until I reached 225mg. I was on it for about 3 years. To be fair it worked really well the first 2 years. BUT, after the second year I went flat, felt No emotion at all, didn't care about anyone or anything. It was worse than the depression that I was originally treated for! Then came the time to get off of it. This was like hell! I have had to detox from opiates in the past and that was a piece of cake compared to this. It took me over a year to get off of it and ended up taking tiny beads until I was well enough to stop. If you can avoid this medicine do it!!"

Cricketk April 10, 2016

"I have been on Effexor for about 6-7 years now. I started taking 75mg which needed to be increased to 4x 75mg per day as I was in complete terror. This drug saved my life. I would not be here if not for this drug. I tried Amitryptyline, citalopram, and propranolol for many years previously but they did not give me the relief I needed. 1st 2 weeks of taking this drug while off work, I saw the room flip upside down a few times making me fall down in the shower etc. It was a really scary time but once in my system I got great relief almost immediately. My side effects now are just sweating and tiredness but I am on 2 x75mg/day & feel really content. I got down to 75 mg/ day but felt anxious so upped to 2/day. Great drug if it suits you!!!!"

Nic (52) (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 13, 2016

"1/10 would not take again. Felt dizzy nauseous and tired."

Marbling March 10, 2016

"Used it during menopause for extreme emotional distress. That was 15 years ago. It was slowly increased from 33 mg to 225 mg due to ineffectiveness. I finally decided after reading up on it that it wasn't worth the side effects that I had if I ran out or if I wanted to get off. Well, I decided to get off. Please do not go on this drug if there is a chance you will ever want to go off of it. It took me 4 months to wean myself off. This past week was the first week I have been completely off. It has been an excruciating long 4 months. I took my time, but the withdrawal is bad. I can not imagine withdrawal from other drugs being much worse. Feel sick to my stomach, Joints ache beyond belief. Emotionally I am a mess, but I try, I try!"

Jeod (taken for 10 years or more) February 28, 2016

"Gave me my life back. 150mg"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 22, 2016

"I've been on this for almost three months at this point for my depression and anxiety. I started at 75 mg, raised to 150 mg, and then lowered back to 75 mg. While it doesn't at all touch my anxiety, I definitely feel a lot better depression-wise. My psychiatrist raised it to 150 mg in the hopes it would help my anxiety, but it didn't so we lowered it and simply added 50 mg of Seroquel XR to help the anxiety. I honestly can't say I really have any side effects. Perhaps I have minor night sweats at times but if there are any side effects I don't really notice them, and I feel satisfied using this for my depression."

Ashley Savage (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2016

"I started experiencing depression and anxiety attacks at around 19 years old. At the time, I didn't quite realize what was wrong with me, I just knew something was horribly wrong. I have tried every medication known to man; celexa, Prozac, cymbalta, pristiq, viibryd, Wellbutrin... And nothing. The emptiness, emotional turmoil, and suffocation I felt was ruining my life. Then in 2011, I started Effexor. I feel alive again, and I never thought I would feel normal again. The one thing I will warn about is the dependency. If you miss one pill, you will think you are coming down with the flu. If you ever decide to stop, you will have to taper off. Adverse effects: constipation, weight loss, vivid dreams, insomnia, sexual dys."

Brooklyn Nichole (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 15, 2016

"originally on seroxat (paxil) for 17 years. felt so good on 20mg that after having my child I thought I would come off it as thinking of having second baby. I was put on prozac to help with withdrawal. after 4 months on prozac I was an absolute mess so Dr put me on effexor. I've been on this now for 6 months. I cry literally every day. it has created obsessional and horrible thoughts, I am constantly tired. I have anxiety and panic. I feel it has actually created new symptoms that I never had. I do not like this drug and am coming off it as soon as I get an appointment with the psychiatrist"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 31, 2016

"Started on celexa 8 yrs ago. It was tremendously successful at 60mg, so much so that I nicknamed it routine Xanax. Then FDA directed lower dose to 40mg for senior citizens due to small possibility of dropping dead from altered heart rhythm. So my shrink and I tried Zoloft(I felt zombified). Lost two Drs. cause they transferred to different departments, then we tried adding wellbutrin to cover the side effects, but that simulated taking a strong stimulant, shakey and anxious. Was was then carefully switched to effexor SR. Once completely off the wellbutrin and Zoloft, and taking Effexor SR caps 150mg, I'm now, after a few days, approaching benefits of celexa, with side effects decreasing or gone. Will ask for 1 more slight dose increase."

knuckleD (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 21, 2016