User Reviews for Effexor XR

Effexor XR Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 218 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Effexor XR to treat Depression

"I suffered from a serious depression after a traumatic experience. I've always been a bit of a melancholic and I believed that I really know what depression is. But no, believe me, I had some horrible experiences and thoughts I didn't know I'm able to feel. After seeing the psychiatrist forthe first time, I started taking Laxapro which worked really bad for me. I stopped the treatment, get back to the black hole and start again. This time was Venlafaxine and changed everything. I was able to work with myself again. I have my clear mind, my job and life back. Of course, nothing is perfect. Miss one dose and you'll feel like dying. But, let's be honest, there is a small cost comparing with the experiences thar really kills you."

Giorgio Bambinovich (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2018

"I had tried just about every SSRI known to man (and women) and also several mood stabilizers but they offered very little relief and it was often fleeting. After the birth of my daughter I was agoraphobic and suicidal. My psychiatrist put me on Effexor XR and Remeron. I am on a 300mg and haven't had a major depressive episode in 4 years. The withdrawal effects are terrible but only if I forget to take it. It also helps with my fibromyalgia pain and narcolepsy symptoms."

AnneBivalent (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 25, 2018

"Effexor worked in the same way surviving a traumatic event makes you appreciate life. The first two weeks I experienced the worst horrible side effects. Vertigo, (almost fell while walking) , and a range of emotions from anger to numbness, than it worked. I felt ok for awhile until I missed a dose. Then the withdrawal symptoms hit me like I was a crack addict. I had to wean off slowly the vertigo was so severe. After that I felt like I survived and learn how to use natural coping techniques. I didn't want to take anything else."

Dani (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 20, 2018

"This was and is the most horrible medication that I’ve ever experienced before. It works well for a lot of people, however I wasn’t one of them. I felt intense pending doom, increased rapid thoughts, thoughts of self harm, perplexed and dissociation, everyone around me seemed awkward to me. I felt like in a dark hole, a tunnel of never ending sadness and a no-way out feeling. If your a Christian like me I would say maybe a similar of “mental hell” it was awful."

Anonymous June 14, 2018

"It was effective, but not in a way anyone would want. For the very first time in my life I would go through episodes where I experienced absolute terror, and although I had been experiencing deep depression after losing several people close to me in a short time, I had never before contemplated harming myself. After less than a week on this medication, I was disassociated from everyone around me, largely unaware of anyone/anything outside "my bubble", and had turned totally inward, to the point of not seeing the changes. I was in such a dark place. Luckily, when the thought flashed through my mind that "I sure will miss my Girls" followed by a second lucid thought hit...WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING>>>??!! Two days after stopping the med all was back to the comparatively blissful normal depression, which has proven to be MUCH more effectively dealt with through some counselling, a regiment of exercise & outdoor activities, & an intensive hobby."

Sunseeker (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2018

"I’ve been on this for 15yrs Started weaning off about 6wks ago - very gradually. I am now only a few days into none at all and my life is falling apart. I am bedridden b'cos I’m So dizzy & lightheaded. I cry constantly. I have diarrhoea. And the worst symptom is when I do finally fall asleep I have these awful dark nightmares, stories of which I can’t even repeat here. I feel like I’ve been possessed by demons. Not good at all! I’m a mental mess! Feeling hopeless. But under no circumstances will I go back in this drug. Any medication that causes these bizarre & severe side effects during weaning is a no no I’m my opinion ! Pls tell me these side affects will go away!"

Kd2071 (taken for 10 years or more) May 13, 2018

"I have taken Effexor XR for almost 5 years. I was diagnosed with severe PTSD, depression, and anxiety. I take 150mg in the morning. I don’t forget to take it because if I don’t take it in the morning I start having withdrawal symptoms by 4pm. My lips get numb and vertigo starts. The longer I wait the worst it gets. I really had to discipline myself to take it routinely because forgetting enough times is hell so generally I never miss a dose. However a few times a year it happens and I remember. Overall it’s the first drug I’ve stayed on because if I forget it reminds me with the withdrawal symptoms. Generally I feel very happy and able to deal with life. I’ve put my life back together after my trauma and feel empowered. I’ve set some great future goals and a timeline. There is nothing I can’t work at."

Sharky6789 April 19, 2018

"Fantastic medication. At 75 mg, it brought me out of an intractable major depressive episode and reduced the anxiety that had been eviscerating me for months. I went up to 150 mg - which did make me hypomanic and caused rapid-cycling, but I wouldn't have known I had Bipolar II otherwise. Currently using in conjunction with Lamictal and seeing great results. I am calm, have motivation, sleep well, and have hope for the future. Side effects: Night sweats and slightly fragmented sleep when raising dose; abated after 3-4 days. Ongoing constipation - extra fiber helps. Make sure to take on time; I have panic attacks the next day if I'm 6+ hours late. It's a bear to lower your dose, but taking out a grain at a time from the capsule takes care of the bad effects ;) Highly effective medication if it works with your unique physiology! I'm a physically healthy 24-year-old female."

Potato (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 13, 2018

"Great medicine, no real side effects. Took about 10 days to 2 weeks to kick in. Used it for roughly 18 months than tapered off. Have, luckily been “depression free” for a number of years now but, if it started flaring up again I would be back to my Doctor in a New York minute to re-up the prescription for Effexor XR. Made me feel like a human being again."

The Pumpkin (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 12, 2018

"I’ve been on Effexor for 5 months, and I’ve gone from off the charts depressed and anxious to happy and productive. I tried an anxiolytic briefly the first week I started the Effexor but didn’t like it, so quit, but I’ve found that my negative internal narrative has improved drastically on the Effexor which has helped my anxiety significantly as well. My family and friends have noticed a huge difference in my mood and energy level. I was increased to 112.5mg daily over the winter for relapse in some depressive symptoms and just decreased to 75mg daily - having some side effects of sleep interruption with the dose titration but otherwise so far so good. My sleep was always interrupted titrating up as well, which always improved with time. My only complaint is that my sex drive decreased for a while upon starting the drug, and even though I now have it back, it’s still more difficult to orgasm. This side effect is improving over time as well, but it’s an annoyance for sure."

NurseJenny (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2018

"Was put on Effexor after hallucinating on Prozac. What a relief. It worked for a good 14-15 Years, till it turns on you. Just starts out as a migraine or a click in your knee, then the shoulder, and then the unsteadiness and loss of coordination. Then the brain zaps that keep you from relaxing. The Doctors would not say "It's the Med." So I called the FDA. Hey, I am waking with brain Zaps, and blood on my pillow from a bloody nose. I also am too weak to get up, have muscle spasms, have slurred speech and am confused. FDA.. Call your Doctor.. Called. Doctor... "Cant be the Efforex XR. " rubbish! Went to Pharmacy, asked the Pharmacist who said get off this one.. "Effexor XR" This is the cause of your problems."

Ah Poop (taken for 10 years or more) March 7, 2018

"Had no effect at all"

SuzzyQ (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 25, 2018

"I have been on effexor for almost 20 years.. I would cry and pray for the right drug for 6 months and had lost 100 pounds down to 80 pounds. Then I came across Effexor "

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) February 19, 2018

"I have had anxiety my entire life, and about a dozen depressive episodes. SSRI's have always seemed to help me in the past, but not long-term. After experiencing a severe depression a year and a half ago, my doctor started me on 75mg of Effexor XR for one week, then 150mg thereafter. This drug has been a wonderful treatment for me. I don't recall any horrible side effects, perhaps because I needed help so badly that I was willing to tolerate most anything. I truly have never felt as calm as I do now! No medication is perfect, and it sounds like some people have not tolerated this medication well. For me, it helped me get my life back."

Versailles (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 19, 2018

"Been on it for about 5 days; my doctor told me to take it at night because it could make me sleepy. I'm still very sleepy all day but also feel its helped a little. I'm also having low sex drive. I will update as I'm hoping these side effects go away."

Nerf7 February 7, 2018

"I have been taking Effexor for 6 months now and I feel great. My dose is 37.5mg once per day. I also take citalopram 20mg one time per day. So both are great together and my head thoughts have done a complete 180. I am finally happy. It has stopped all the negative thoughts plus my brain is less cloudy, I have a clear head. Its like I have a refreshed brain. Its wonderful."

MintLeaf_32 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2018

"This ruined my life and nearly killed me. It destroyed my family and I lost 2 years with my son because of this demonic drug. On it, I was in a bubble not myself at all. It gave me a false sense if happiness and reality. I spent over a year getting off of it. This should never be given to any living being ever. This drug is worse than heroin. Disgusting!!!!!"

J197954 December 31, 2017

"Have had depression since I was a teenager and been on meds since I was at least 18. I am now going on 33 years old. First was Zoloft... didn't work for me, just made me THINK I was happy but obviously I wasn't and did stupid things while I was in relationships while on it. (was on it last year also) then after Zoloft wasn't working I was put on Prozac last year and prescribed a mood stabilizer because I seemed to get easily irritated with people. Prozac seemed to be working until months ago for some reason I seemed to get more depressed and suicidal thinking to the point I was thinking about killing myself every day. A month ago I was prescribed Effexor and to double up on my mood stabilizer and it seems to be working great for me now."

HarleyGirlAng (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 24, 2017

"I was having moderate anxiety and dealing with a lot of stress in my life. I began seeing a psychiatrist and was started on effexor. Around my 3rd month being on effexor I was increasingly paranoid and tired. My doctor's response was to increase the dose. I began to become very nervous, and started pacing, and having trouble sleeping. He put me on trazadone for sleep, which made me feel incredibly tired the next day. His response to the sleepiness was to increase my dose again. I started to have severe depression then, and became incredibly moody and volatile. I no longer had a fuse for my anger, and became very withdrawn from everyone. This, of course, sent me on a downward spiral, ending with me being hospitalized."

Dread&Loathing (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 22, 2017

"Best SNRI I've taken. I had given up on SRI's and many failed treatments, but don't neglect the SNRI's. Allows me to feel like myself again. My psychiatrist mentioned that Effexor is "one of those medications" that people either love or hate. If you are anxious with Celexa, Lexapro, and Lazy while taking Zoloft. Effexor may be the perfect mix on catecholamines for you. I found the perfect combination by taking Provigil 200 mg daily, Effexor 225 mg daily (with food), 25-50 mg Amitriptyline before bed, and Alprazolam 1 mg three times daily."

Thaddeus Jones (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 20, 2017

"This medication worked well while I was taking it. Under the supervision of my doctor, I have been slowly getting off of this medication. This has been the worst experience for me. Dizzy, headache, nausea, brain fog. I wish I would have never chosen to take this medication. I urge anyone looking to start this medication to talk with your doctor and try something else first. If you ever want to stop taking this medication it is a terribly uncomfortable process."

Dont take this med December 13, 2017

"If your not prescribed enough it makes your anxiety go through the roof"

JujjuJu December 11, 2017

"I have been taking 75mg once per day, for 15 yrs. Has always worked well for me with no side effects but I would like to get off of it because........15 yrs! Do I still need it? But if I miss one dose, brain shocks like crazy. This is scary to me that it can do that. It makes me very nervous about even considering weaning off of it."

Dragonpen007 December 6, 2017

"I've been taking effexor XR for almost a year now! I suffered from post partum depression! I'm about to be 28 and had only taken an anti depressant back when I was 16 for less than a year. Negatives when starting effexor for me were insomnia and loss of appetite ! My doc prescribed me a low dose sleep aid and after 4 months of taking effexor I no longer needed the sleep aide! I'm currently on 75MGs and I'm productive, happy most days, and no more panic attacks that are unmanageable. I even gained my weight back !! This medication isn't for everyone but it worked for me! Negatives I still experience every now and then are rapid heart beat, hard to concentrate on one thing, and sometimes too much energy but can be levelled out with exercise!"

Stay at home mom December 4, 2017

"I’ve been dealing with a lot lately that is out of my control and have admittedly been depressed most of my life (I am 29 years old). A breakup reeked havoc on my mental health and I consulted a psychiatrist. Was prescribed generic 37.5mg for 2 weeks then was instructed to double dose. First pill took around 11am yesterday, by 2pm I was nauseous, dry heaving, had incredibly bad diarrhea, double vision, back pain, and was becoming very lethargic. My jaw was clenched most of the day and I was grinding my teeth all night. I didn’t sleep well, woke up pacicking and having racing thoughts. Doctor said to quit taking it. One pill was enough. Never again."

NeverAgainEffexor November 17, 2017