User Reviews for Effexor XR

Learn more about Effexor XR.

Effexor XR Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Effexor XR to treat Depression

"I have been tapering off Effexor for the past few weeks. I was originally prescribed 150 mg per day and the dose was too much for me. I was brought down to 112.5 and stayed on that dose for almost 2 years. My mood was greatly improved and my anxiety nearly non-existent. The downside was that I was ALWAYS tired and taking naps constantly -- most of my weekends were spent sleeping. I'd drink a few cups of coffee in the morning and I could barely keep my eyes open. I became a napper and would nap for 2-4 hours at a shot. I became extremely lazy and gained about 25 pounds due to a complete lack of energy. The side effects of missing a dose were extreme nausea and horrible headaches."

HollisKate (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 19, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This drug is heaven. I feel no side effects whatsoever. Just 37.5mg a day keeps my depression symptoms at bay. The only minor complaint is a lower sex drive, but that is a given side-effect with antidepressants in general."

Dancer563 June 9, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I just started taking Effexor xr a little over a month ago. I was extremely tired the whole month (nothing would help that either, I took a 5 hour energy and fell asleep right after) and last night was my first night where I felt like myself for the first time in a few years. I am hopeful that this lasts and the exhaustion goes away. I have a cough but it's only really bad at night and have a small cough in the morning. My cycle seems a little off, I had spotting and then nothing so I'm not sure what is happening with that but I read that's a possible side effect as well."

SeaMom (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I take 300 mg effexor am and 15 mg mirtazapine pm just before I go to sleep. This combination has worked very well for me and the only side effect I really have is a bit of dry mouth but that's probably exacerbated by smoking. For me, they counteract each others side effects at these dosages cause at 225mg effexor and 30mg mirtazapine I had an insatiable appetite at night time!"

Paul619 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been taking 75mg for a little over a month, I've seen a positive difference for sure! There are so many bad reviews on the drug and it made me worry but being on it has really changed my life in ways. My depression is so much better, I don't take as many naps as I used to, my headaches are a little better, and it's even helped me with irritable bowel syndrome. It's still hard to focus sometimes, but not bad. I don't have many side effects on 75mg -- I have crazy dreams sometimes but it's not bad! And I think I might be a bit more hungry. Although, if I miss a dose by a few hours I will definitely feel it. I start to get a migraine and have to take the med right away. This really worked for me and I hope it could help someone else!"

Bay0315 May 18, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed 37.5 mg of Effexor (raised to 75 mg after a week) after going off Zoloft, for depression, GAD, and Panic Disorder. I took it for about 2 months and it was horrible. I had terrible insomnia and when I managed to sleep, I had night terrors that resulted in me waking up multiple times in the middle of the night sweating through my sheets. My depression became so much worse, suicidal thoughts/self-harm ideation more rampant, and I had panic attacks at least every second day, sometimes more than once a day. I had a public nervous breakdown before I finally went off it and was prescribed Escitalopram instead. The difference was like night and day. Effexor is definitely not for everyone."

AnPan (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Does anyone have a cough With taking Effexor XR? This has helped me a lot. I had been on Zoloft, Paxil, Prozac and Effexor was the best. Feel more normal and have taken it since 2008. It does cause constipation. I tried going off of it once and I was back on it within 3 days. It was horrible. Does anyone have neck pain with it or maybe it's something else going on for me."

Digger49 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 16, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was prescribed Effexor XR 75mg in 2015 for depression. I was on it for 7 months. It helped at first, but not in a healthy way. It kinda just kept me calm and numb to my surroundings. It was almost like some type of fake permanent trance that helped me to not be able to focus for more than a couple seconds on issues. Just a constant blur, I had absolutely no feelings. Whether it be love or hate.....I had nothing. I didn't care about anything, nothing seemed to bother me. Then I started to have memory loss along with brain zaps every night before bed. I quit cold turkey because I knew I had to save myself. I now suffer with sleep paralysis and occasional brain zaps, two years later. I believe they are 2 lifetime side effects caused by this drug."

G_Mal (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 8, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Lifted me out of a deep, dark depression at 450 mg/day combined with Remeron 45 mg/day."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The positive: it has an almost immediate effect, from Day One there's a lift in mood. Effexor XR Also gives a feeling of energy, both mental and physical. I've also noticed a significant decrease in my social anxiety, I can talk to anyone without feeling nervous - this 'extra' effect began, again, on Day One. The negative: slight feelings of nausea with a definite decrease in appetite. I don't really enjoy my meals as much while on Effexor. I've also noticed a form of a insominia since starting - early awakenings and not being able to get back to sleep."

Billy Bones (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2017

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on Effexor for about 2 years. It's changed my life completely. Before I went to rehab and before I was on it, I couldn't get out of bed for days at a time. It gives me energy and motivation! However, the withdrawal symptoms are horrific. If I miss a dose, I get severe headaches. I feel like there are fireworks going off in my head. Last year, I had to go the ER because I couldn't breathe or stop shaking after 3 weeks of cutting it cold turkey (due to an insurance error). This is definitely not the drug for people who regularly miss doses or have problems with addiction pills. It's not for everyone, but works great for me."

jaydemarie (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 19, 2017

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started off with 75mg and have stayed on it ever since because I found no reason to change it. The first day I could feel this medication working, it was a little much at first but nothing I couldn't handle. But I soon noticed that it took all my emotions away and made me dull to everything going on around me and in my life. Most don't like that but I really do, I feel as if I have no cares in the world at all. Nothing goes through my head at all, its like magic. It takes me a little bit to actually get my brain going and operating but thats fine with me. Sleep and sex drive has gone down but I still get the sleep need and if I need to preform I can. I just don't have the desire to want sex. Its changed my life in such good ways."

KingGrilz February 12, 2017

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Effexor changed my life. I was suffering from bad depression for over two years due to something that happened in my life. I couldn't get the thoughts out of my mind. So daily, I would feel sad and depressed. I started with Wellbutrin, which I liked for depression and energy, but it made my anxiety which I also have worse. Anyways back to Effexor. The first 2 weeks taking effexor were kinda horrible. I felt weird, tired, and I was thinking of stopping this medication. But I stuck with it. I have to say I feel normal again, and my depression is gone. Even if I think of my past, I don't get sad anymore. So thank you Effexor"

Loveurlife February 9, 2017

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am ready to start this ! I'm nervous of the side effects but so tired of crying all the time for small reasons ? I work 11-7a don't know when to start this ? Mornings or nights ? I hope it helps me ? 37.5 for one month then up to 75 mg a day ! Any suggestions will help"

Cathyjerome February 2, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I used Effexor XR for depression and anxiety for almost two (2) years. Effexor has terrible anxiety and nausea first several days. I started 37.5 with .5 Clonazepam in the morning and before night, then upped to 75mg. Clonazepam was removed once my sleep was restored. Great Drug gave me life and energy. Side effects lowered erection, sex drive and orgasm. Kept me going well, gave much more energy comparing to Lexapro. Getting off after 2 years was not a problem. I was slowly reducing dose each 2-3 weeks."

Osg January 6, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder with depression and anxiety in 2001 at the age of 34...it took a couple of years for my psychiatrist to find the right combination of drug therapy that would work for me.....I take 40mg of prozac daily all year...seasonally in the fall and winter effexor xr is added to stabelize my depression..starting with 37.5mg and titrated up to 75mg twice a day until spring gets close and like all creatures I am ready to enjoy the sunshine again and it is titrated back down over 3 weeks and stopped ...this has worked very well for me along with a low dose of xanax bid prn..."

trippsnannie November 26, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was one Effexor for almost 4 weeks to treat dissociation/derealization that was caused from too high of dosages of Zoloft and Celexa. I went from 12.5mg twice a day to 37.5mg twice a day over 3 weeks. I had horrible headaches and blurry vision the entire time. By the third week, the dissociation was MOSTLY gone, but then I was having random panic episodes where I thought I was losing my mind and just didn't want to live anymore. The psychiatrist thought the extended release would ease that symptom, and it made it worse. I went from not wanting to live with dissociation, to not wanting to live at all. I've been tapering off over the past few days, and I was awaken at 5am this morning with HORRIBLE anxiety and suicidal thoughts, and my husband tried calming me down but I barely felt like I knew or recognized him. Both my psychologist and the head of psychiatry at Mayo Clinic agreed I need to stop taking it immediately (take 1/2 of 25mg if I experience "brain zaps" or any horrible side effects) but this medication is NOT for me, and they're thinking no SSRI or SSNI chemically reacts well with me after trying 3 and having worse side effects than what I was taking it for. I haven't been out to eat with my husband in 4 months. Everything in the world now looks different, and I still have anxiety and blurry vision, and as this medication leaves my system in the next few days, I pray my mind will get back to the way it was 4 months ago. Thank you and I hope everyone going through anything horrible with Effexor finds relief soon."

KE1991 (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I experienced increasing blood pressure with increasing dosage, an immediate and drastic decreased libido compared with being on Zoloft, weight gain increased with increasing dosage, and worst of all was almost dying when I decreased the dose. I had dizzy spells with shortness of breath after weaning from 225mg down to 150mg despite gradual dose reduction. Once I got to approximately 187.5mg over the course of two weeks I read recommendations to cut 37.5mg at a time and went to 150mg. I experienced near syncope multiple times, heart rhythm abnormalities with pulse varying at rest from 67 to 105, and shortness of breath. pulse oximeter indicated drop to 85% sats and no pulse."

Frayed (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 10, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Effexor XR saved my life! I had severe clinical depression for one year, and my doctor tried 8 different antidepressants on me, all to no avail. I sought the help of a psychopharmacologist in Palo Alto, Ca. He met with me for 90 minutes, did an evaluation, and prescribed Effexor XR for me. He stairstepped me up to 300mg/day within 12 days, and within 2 weeks I felt like my old self again. It felt miraculous. I may be on it for the rest of my life, but I don't mind one bit. I am enjoying life again!"

Fognurse November 6, 2016

53 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been taking Effexor for 5 months now and I can say it definitely has worked for me. It can take time to actually start working though so give it some time. The only downfall is if I forget to take it for a day, I start getting dizzy, brain zaps, and headaches. I am now waiting to refill it and haven't taken it for about a week and the symptoms are still occurring. Even with that said, I would recommend this medicine for depression/anxiety. I no longer cry all the time for no reason. Definitely has changed my life (:"

Tay_marie (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 3, 2016

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My experience with Effexor was abnormal but still scary. My psychiatrist prescribed me 37.5 mg of Effexor XR. After a few days of taking it, I had a decrease in appetite, nausea, upset stomach, and some dizziness but I was told that was normal. However, after a week, I felt as though I had no more emotions. My memory became terrible and I felt emotionally dead inside l. Some moments I couldn't get out of bed and others, I couldn't sit still. After two weeks, she increased my dose to 75 mg. Within two hours of taking that dose, I was rushed to the ER because of intense stomach upset, diahrrea and dangerously low blood pressure whenever I stood or sat up. After the ER, I quit cold turkey and had withdrawal symptoms for only a week."

Piri (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Truly wish I had accepted my depression and sought help years ago. This medication has completely cleared my mind and has helped me dramatically in the first two weeks of use. Although it caused insomnia for the first two days of use and I felt like a space cadet for the first 3 it helped me ease my moods and somewhat doesn't even allow my mind to wander into negative feelings. Highly recommended seeking help and support with this medication although I do suggest beginning treatment over the weekend to be adjusted before a work week."

FreddieMax (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on Effexor for almost 2 years starting on the lowest dose til I was just about on the highest - then my doctor decided to try something else as this one wasn't working anymore - I was really hard work coming off them"

Kelleyz1409 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 30, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on Effexor XR for almost 4 months for major depression and anxiety. It caused stomach upset which got worse with every increase in dosage.( I also suffer with IBS so it was hard to tell for a while if it was the Effexor or not.)The worst part however, was yet to come. I started spotting the 3rd month I was on it and by the 4th month on 150mg, I was bleeding as if I had my period every single day. My psychiatrist is tapering me off it and at 75mg now, I have less stomach pain and no bleeding. We will try Zoloft next."

Nika776 September 23, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Male, 6'2", 150lb. I take 75mg of Effexor XR in the AM and 15mg of Remeron in the PM for suicidal depression and generalized anxiety. Some days I take higher doses of 112.5mg and 30mg. The combination has worked wonders for my condition. I started on Remeron initially and titrated to 45mg/day, but did not feel it was working for my depression, although it did help with sleep and appetite. I tried gabapentin for a while and was able to quit Remeron entirely for some time (wanted to give my receptors a break). Gabapentin was great for anxiety but made me more suicidal. I quit gabapentin and went back on just 15mg of Remeron, this time also adding the Effexor. I have been very happy with the results. It seems to be the first medication that really works for me. I had significant side effects when starting Effexor, but they subsided completely after about a week- feeling high much like MDMA, and I had diarrhea and some insomnia. When I increased from 37.5 to 75 mg, the only con I noticed was lower energy level (and some yawning). I started drinking some coffee to help with that. This is a very serious medication to be taking, as I know it can be very hard to withdraw from; however, I am committed to sticking with it. Eventually may increase my dose up to 150mg. Effexor makes me feel very mellow. I am less concerned about what people think of me. I am quite confident with the ladies. My sex life has been better than ever on this med combination. I have wondered if my sense of humor is dulled, however. I am also somewhat lazy, but this may change when I go up to a higher dose. Risk-taking behaviors should be watched when increasing the dose, as I broke my ankle playing sports. Overall, I give this medication 9/10 and am very happy that I got the script. I recommend taking it with Remeron to better manage the nighttime, and to counteract the side effects. They have a wonderful synergy. My only concern is that they may eventually stop working, and I may eventually have to stop taking them and suffer the infamous withdrawals."

Roger33 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 13, 2016