User Reviews for Effexor XR

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Effexor XR.

Effexor XR Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Effexor XR to treat Depression

"This medication worked well while I was taking it. Under the supervision of my doctor, I have been slowly getting off of this medication. This has been the worst experience for me. Dizzy, headache, nausea, brain fog. I wish I would have never chosen to take this medication. I urge anyone looking to start this medication to talk with your doctor and try something else first. If you ever want to stop taking this medication it is a terribly uncomfortable process."

Dont take this med December 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"If your not prescribed enough it makes your anxiety go through the roof"

JujjuJu December 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking 75mg once per day, for 15 yrs. Has always worked well for me with no side effects but I would like to get off of it because........15 yrs! Do I still need it? But if I miss one dose, brain shocks like crazy. This is scary to me that it can do that. It makes me very nervous about even considering weaning off of it."

Dragonpen007 December 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking effexor XR for almost a year now! I suffered from post partum depression! I'm about to be 28 and had only taken an anti depressant back when I was 16 for less than a year. Negatives when starting effexor for me were insomnia and loss of appetite ! My doc prescribed me a low dose sleep aid and after 4 months of taking effexor I no longer needed the sleep aide! I'm currently on 75MGs and I'm productive, happy most days, and no more panic attacks that are unmanageable. I even gained my weight back !! This medication isn't for everyone but it worked for me! Negatives I still experience every now and then are rapid heart beat, hard to concentrate on one thing, and sometimes too much energy but can be levelled out with exercise!"

Stay at home mom December 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I’ve been dealing with a lot lately that is out of my control and have admittedly been depressed most of my life (I am 29 years old). A breakup reeked havoc on my mental health and I consulted a psychiatrist. Was prescribed generic 37.5mg for 2 weeks then was instructed to double dose. First pill took around 11am yesterday, by 2pm I was nauseous, dry heaving, had incredibly bad diarrhea, double vision, back pain, and was becoming very lethargic. My jaw was clenched most of the day and I was grinding my teeth all night. I didn’t sleep well, woke up pacicking and having racing thoughts. Doctor said to quit taking it. One pill was enough. Never again."

NeverAgainEffexor November 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took it for 2 weeks. Started 75mg first week and went up to 150mg the second. Several days after I increased the dosage, I lost all sex potency and sex drive completely. I'm a 25 year old man and I was not able to orgasm at all. After I stopped I have VERY SEVERE withdrawal symptoms. I had to lose work for several days and was very close to being sent to a hospital. At NO POINT did my doctor warn me of any of these symptoms. It's very important to understand that this drug is that this drug CAN cause permanent damage and that it is highly addictive even after a short time. I'd rather take a bullet to my head than take this pill ever again."

tjw14 (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have taken 75 mg for about 2 years. Usually helpful but when I forget to take it at night the next day I am sobbing and I am today. This morning I took a double dose, hoping to cut short the crying sessions. I understand that Effexor ER has a short half life. Does this mean it catches up? I have had to take antipressants since age 27. I’m now 67. Guess now my dx is called MDD. I’ve tried to get off meds but the depression always returns. My brother thinks one can just get over it. But I realize it is inherited brain chemistry for my situation so the meds will always be necessary. Approaching holidays add to the challenge."

Pekemom (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given this medicine for anxiety and depression, after a month of taking the 37.5mg this medicine has increased my symptoms of anxiety and depression substantially. Also since I have started taking this medication I have developed some new symptoms such as mania and hallucinations. The pains attacks associated with this medicine are horrifying as well. The most disturbing thing about the drug, to me, is the extremely lifelike and vivid dreams that make you believe you've been up all night but in reality you've been asleep, this makes waking up very difficult because it's hard to tell if you're awake or not. This is an extremely powerful drug, I would discuss other options with your doctor before trying Effexor XR"

Jrhill4463 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I first used Effexor XR 75 mg at the start of 2016 to treat depression/ anxiety. Side effects were things such as dry mouth, frequent urination, problems sleeping at night. After 2 weeks these reduced greatly and after a further 2 weeks my mood improved greatly and my anxiety reduced. My ongoing side effects were strange (not unpleasant) dreams and sometimes night sweats - neck and chest. I tapered off to 37.5 and then stopped October 2016. The withdrawals - head zaps in the main - lasted about a week and were not too bad. I stopped because I felt so much better. During mid 2017 I went down hill again and was back at the GP's sobbing my heart out and at home being a complete pain to my wife. I started 75mg again 4 weeks ago. Much better!"

SRH1957 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"At 75mg I did ok but was still depressed. If I miss a dose I get crying spells the next day (I take all my meds, 4, at night) at 150mg I started hearing things, unable to focus, and unable to hold urine - yes I learned that its a side effect. So am down to 75mg and am scared to change it but have expressed interest to my doctor. She added lithium and its helping (I also take tegretol and abilify) so overall, just do your own research before taking anything. Once you are on something you should NOT quit cold turkey."

JustMe83 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worked quickly (or it was in my head), lots of yawning, by week 4 very drowsy in the morning on my 90 minute drive to work so started taking it after I got to work which is better for society in general. Sometimes restless sleep. Having said that, I had a lot negative thoughts about my life that I don't notice or dwell on now so I am really good with these minor side effects. I'm much happier, less irritable and family recognized it easily. I'm genuinely happy with it and thankfully no nasty side effects (thus far)."

Your Nickname October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Wow, is all I can say. Was hospitalized for extreme depression after trying to take my own life and all I can say is that this drug change my life. It has been one year on it and I am so much happier. I have no side effects from taking this plus I have so much more energy."

Bryan Of Canada September 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm a middle aged professional that's dealt with depression and anxiety since my teen years. I've tried many different types of medications that target anxiety and depression, albeit with mixed results. My depression, stress, and anxiety levels had gotten worse within the last year (haven't been on any medications for over 10 years), so I went to see my doctor. I've been taking Effexor for about a month now and it's, by far, given me the most relief over any previous med. Stress levels have gone way down as I no longer tend to ruminate on things out of my control. It's much easier to drop the negative thinking and move on to something else. Anxiety and depression have also been greatly reduced. No major side effects for me (at 37.5)"

Golf2Relax (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on this medication for about a year and never felt like it ever did anything other than make me irritable and kill my sex drive. It was extremely hard to wean off the 75mg dose which is a comparatively low dose. All up it took me about 6 months to come off it completely and the withdrawal effects after missing a dose would begin within just a few hours (brain zaps, twitchy etc). What I'm amazed about is the fact the doctor who put me on it initially didn't tell me any of the side effects and didn't warn me how hard it was to come off. I realise it probably works for some people but as a dispensary tech I see people coming in who are taking 300mg of this stuff a day. I shudder to think how hard it will be for them to stop this drug."

pushupstairs August 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So I have OCD, Depression, Panic Disorder, Anxiety, Possible ADD and I have been on many different medications for the past ten years and this medication has relieved my symptoms. Before taking this medication I was takin Luvox 300mg and Valium as needed. Before that I was taking all sorts, up to 5 different ones at a time including Seroquel which put in weight. I now feel more cheerful, not depressed, less obsessive thoughts, less anxiety and can concentrate better. I now feel I can do more in my life. I am also less moody. I am currently taking Efexor XR 150mg."

Cammando (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started Effexor 75XR today. I've read the reviews and choose to look at the positive reviews as I have had Anxiety most of my life and experiencing depression due to long term horrible marriage and divorce. I had been taking Valium but don't like that its addictive and the generics are not effective. I simply want to be my happy self and alter the depressive rut I've fallen into. My first bottle is generic and I've applied for a drug card for Brand from manufacturer. Took a few hours ago with breakfast, I expect good results. I want to be happy again and I believe this is half the battle."

SusanW50 (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have tried every SSRI except luvox and this is the only one that did anything. However it takes at least a month to work. However I went out of country and had my carotid veins widened and this extra blood flow has taken away all mental health issues or need for drugs..."

Bunsdad (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ineffective for me. I had to stop taking it twice and the withdrawal was AWFUL! It was like what I would imagine heroin withdrawal from heroin. I highly suggest NO one use this drug for that reason."

ironyman (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been tapering off Effexor for the past few weeks. I was originally prescribed 150 mg per day and the dose was too much for me. I was brought down to 112.5 and stayed on that dose for almost 2 years. My mood was greatly improved and my anxiety nearly non-existent. The downside was that I was ALWAYS tired and taking naps constantly -- most of my weekends were spent sleeping. I'd drink a few cups of coffee in the morning and I could barely keep my eyes open. I became a napper and would nap for 2-4 hours at a shot. I became extremely lazy and gained about 25 pounds due to a complete lack of energy. The side effects of missing a dose were extreme nausea and horrible headaches."

HollisKate (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug is heaven. I feel no side effects whatsoever. Just 37.5mg a day keeps my depression symptoms at bay. The only minor complaint is a lower sex drive, but that is a given side-effect with antidepressants in general."

Dancer563 June 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just started taking Effexor xr a little over a month ago. I was extremely tired the whole month (nothing would help that either, I took a 5 hour energy and fell asleep right after) and last night was my first night where I felt like myself for the first time in a few years. I am hopeful that this lasts and the exhaustion goes away. I have a cough but it's only really bad at night and have a small cough in the morning. My cycle seems a little off, I had spotting and then nothing so I'm not sure what is happening with that but I read that's a possible side effect as well."

SeaMom (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take 300 mg effexor am and 15 mg mirtazapine pm just before I go to sleep. This combination has worked very well for me and the only side effect I really have is a bit of dry mouth but that's probably exacerbated by smoking. For me, they counteract each others side effects at these dosages cause at 225mg effexor and 30mg mirtazapine I had an insatiable appetite at night time!"

Paul619 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking 75mg for a little over a month, I've seen a positive difference for sure! There are so many bad reviews on the drug and it made me worry but being on it has really changed my life in ways. My depression is so much better, I don't take as many naps as I used to, my headaches are a little better, and it's even helped me with irritable bowel syndrome. It's still hard to focus sometimes, but not bad. I don't have many side effects on 75mg -- I have crazy dreams sometimes but it's not bad! And I think I might be a bit more hungry. Although, if I miss a dose by a few hours I will definitely feel it. I start to get a migraine and have to take the med right away. This really worked for me and I hope it could help someone else!"

Bay0315 May 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed 37.5 mg of Effexor (raised to 75 mg after a week) after going off Zoloft, for depression, GAD, and Panic Disorder. I took it for about 2 months and it was horrible. I had terrible insomnia and when I managed to sleep, I had night terrors that resulted in me waking up multiple times in the middle of the night sweating through my sheets. My depression became so much worse, suicidal thoughts/self-harm ideation more rampant, and I had panic attacks at least every second day, sometimes more than once a day. I had a public nervous breakdown before I finally went off it and was prescribed Escitalopram instead. The difference was like night and day. Effexor is definitely not for everyone."

AnPan (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Does anyone have a cough With taking Effexor XR? This has helped me a lot. I had been on Zoloft, Paxil, Prozac and Effexor was the best. Feel more normal and have taken it since 2008. It does cause constipation. I tried going off of it once and I was back on it within 3 days. It was horrible. Does anyone have neck pain with it or maybe it's something else going on for me."

Digger49 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 16, 2017