User Reviews for Effexor XR to treat Major Depressive Disorder

Effexor XR has an average rating of 6.7 out of 10 from a total of 88 ratings for the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder. 61% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 23% reported a negative effect.

Effexor XR Rating Summary

6.7/10 average rating

Compare all 54 medications used in the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder.

Reviews for Effexor XR

1204 · Taken for less than 1 month August 9, 2020

“I have major depression, an eating disorder and anxiety. I have struggled for years on and off multiple anti depressants. I just started Effexor 2.5 weeks ago. Already I am so shocked at the absolute change. I wake up happy. I regained interest in things. I no longer have thoughts of suicide and am not crying every day. I honestly feel like it has given me my life back.”

Hummingbird June 11, 2020

“I started venlafaxine after ending up in the psych ward for suicidal ideation and it’s been working super well ever since! My mood is way better and I can actually function again. I still have the occasional bad day but now it’s much easier to cope with my depression and snap out of whatever funk I’m in rather than spiraling for months. I really haven’t had any bad side effects while taking venlafaxine at all which is nice. The one thing keeping me from giving it 10/10 is I’ve missed doses every now and then and I get super disoriented, irritable, and emotional within a day of missing a dose, as well as really bizarre vivid dreams that leave me waking up super super dissociated. It’s easy to recognize that these symptoms are because I missed a dose by accident though and they tend to go away within a day of getting back on my medication. Overall, I’ve had a very positive experience on this medication and think it’s definitely worth trying out!”

Anonymous November 24, 2020

“After 7 years of trial and error, This year I found a fantastic psychiatrist and I was finally told about "effexor". From being tossed on so many different medications in the past and none of them working I was SO desperate to feel better and also hopeless at the same time because I had felt like I had already tried EVERYTHING but I gave it a shot. After 3 months my entire mind set started to change for the better. Little by little I started getting out of bed again, socializing again, I rarely have nightmares anymore, I feel a lot more calm, I don't overthink little things and I genuinely look forward to waking up now. Do not give up on this drug if you don't feel better immediately, nothing will make you completely feel better but this is as close as I've ever gotten. Give it about 3 months to work and a year to fully work. I was a drug user and was at rock bottom/completely hopeless and because of effexor I am alive today.”

Bone · Taken for 10 years or more January 23, 2020

“I was prescribed Effexor XR 75 mg to start off with in 1992. 24 hours into I quickly noticed I was more focused. 2 weeks into it I stopped having mood swings and any feelings of depression. 1 month into my wife said I appeared to be less irritable and able to reason much better. About 2 years into it, I spoke with doctor about increasing the dosage. I went to 150 mg. I am now taking 225 mg. My only regret is, it is addicting! Miss a dose, and you will feel so bad! However; Looking back, I made right the decision and do not regret it.”

CelestialWolf · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 29, 2020

“I was severely depressed and I've tried many SSRIs, and none of them helped. In fact, they made me worse and I wanted to end my life. Since I've been on 112.5mg of Effexor, I feel like I've been renewed and yes I still have my bad days and occasional suicidal thoughts since mine are chronic, I have no desire to act on them ever again. To me this is a miracle drug. You've got to try it. I recommend it.”

Antares · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 16, 2020

“I have ulcerative colitis, endometriosis, & diverticulitis. All of these chronic illnesses have contributed to my clinical depression. I have tried 3 different antidepressants, which all caused horrible side effects. I stopped taking them for 4 years. I recently started back, about 5 months ago, & was immediately put on Effexor XR 75mg. After 5 weeks, my doc increased it to 150mg. I haven't had any side effects, except I finally found an antidepressant that works for me, greatly. It has definitely been a life-changer.”

Tabby · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 3, 2020

“This Effexor XR is the best by far, antidepressant I have been on. Going on about 7 years now. The ONLY thing I HATE is that if I miss 2 doses bc I forgot (BPII) it is thee worst feeling I cannot explain it. But I am so grateful for this medication, it has made my life easier.”

Flag · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 7, 2020

“I was taking this drug Effexor for the 4 months, I gained 45 lbs that I cannot loose. Side effects are horrible, you feel like zombie, no feelings at all. No fear, no love, no hate... nothing. You do not want anything- sex, love, food, nothing is matter. In spite of not eating much, because this medication reduces appetite, I put on 45 lbs in 4 month, and my fiancé left me. From size s to Xl. My depression did not get any better. Moreover I became aggressive and broke my phone. After I stopped it I had a very bed withdrawals, chest pain and panic attacks. I was referred to cardiologist and had echo stress test. I regret I was taking that crappy drug. I do not recommend to take it.”

NurseSlacky · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 26, 2016

“I have been taking Effexor for 13 months now. Initially I was prescribed 75 mg while hospitalized at an inpatient psychiatric facility but that was increased to 150 mg by the time I was discharged. Never in my life have I felt this way - normal!! My crying spells, anhedonia, suicidal ideations, psychosis... it's all gone gone gone! This medication has saved my life. I am so happy to take my meds every morning.”

Cristian87 April 28, 2016

“Alittle over a year ago I started suffering from the worst depression I have ever had before this I had minor depression but more anxiety social anxiety ect. During this bad depression I felt like I would never get better and lost all hope stoped working and felt like I would never be the same person as I was. I was only 27 at that time with two daughters I would never commit suicide to to my belief But I felt like I couldnt go on as soon as I woke up from sleeping maybe few hours my mind was running and I hated every minute of being alive feeling like this. I was prescribed effexor and went back to work with in a week I stared feeling like this might work fast forward a year I got promotion at my job and no anxiety or depression now.”

Tazzy · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 9, 2020

“I have had depression for over 30 years and during that time I took Paxil and Citalopram. The Citalopram was not effective anymore and my psychiatrist prescribed Effexor XR. I had went through withdrawal from Citalopram which was difficult. However, when I was put on the Effexor XR I was having side effects from the Effexor XR that were worse than the withdrawal from the Citalopram. Severe shaking and nervousness. Heavy sweating and no real relief until 55 days taking it then all of a sudden I felt really good for 9 days. After that I refilled my prescription and the side effects began again...nervousness, shaking, sweating and the depression returned. I have to take an additional medication to calm my nerves and this time I also have restlessness. I know antidepressants can work well from previous experience, but Effexor XR isn’t the one for me.”

iamerletheperle · Taken for 10 years or more May 15, 2016

“Diagnosis: a Chronic Clinical Depressive with a 40 year history who does not react to meds in a typical manner. After 6 months of juggling meds weekly at the clinic, finally got relief with a daily dose of 150 mg Effexor XR. Have not had Any episode of Depression since 2003. The side effects are more than tolerable as a tradeoff to be the happiest people on this planet instead of in perpetual hell.”

Manic January 7, 2021

“I was in the hospital for suicidal ideation and they gave me Effexor. I remember I was sick the first night (nausea, diarrhea, stomach pain) but after the second day I magically felt better. The depression felt like it went away and I was ready to be released and start my life back. Well this turned into an EXTREME manic episode less than a week later. I left my relationship of 4 years, I ran off and engaged in dangerous activities, shut everyone out of my life. But I felt “happy” I was out of my mind. I don’t have bipolar disorder but this is exactly what it felt like. 2 months later this all came crashing down and I ended right back in a psych ward again after trying to commit suicide. My therapist told me she calls it “sideffexor” because it’s a hit or miss medicine, it either really works or makes things worse. If you start this medicine I highly recommended being closely monitored, it can be dangerous.”

Bea · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 7, 2020

“I've been taking this medication for around five years. It has helped me a lot. I no longer have constant suicidal thoughts or feel as sad and as angry like I did before taking this medication. However, the withdrawal can be terrible. If I miss taking my medication by an hour, I begin to feel dizzy. As time progresses, it becomes a throbbing headache and a feeling of vertigo.”

Jimjam April 19, 2020

“While Effexor has worked great for me over the last couple years it does have its downfalls just like I’m sure anything else. I’ve tried at least five other variations of antidepressants and this has worked best. I was on 150mg for over a year and a few months ago we increased to 225mg as the 150mg didn’t seem like it was cutting it anymore. Well, make sure you don’t miss a dose even by a couple hours. It will mess up the rest of your day, personally I’m nauseous and turn into an emotional wreck. My mental illness and this quarantine got in the way and I unintentionally didn’t take for two days. I’ve never felt this bad in my life. I’m beyond nauseous. my stomach is killing me, my head is killing me, I can’t sleep to distract myself from it. I don’t want to even think about what would happen if I waited anymore time to take another dose. I’m sick to my stomach. (21, f)”

What Depression? · Taken for 10 years or more December 22, 2015

“I had a major trauma happen in my life about 11 yrs ago. Although I have been depressed for most of my life I went to the doctor for extra help during this stressful time. My doctor prescribed Effexor XR and I was on 75 milligrams per day and then within the last 4 years to 150 milligrams. I truly do not know what I would do without this medicine. It really has improved my life, my mood and lessens the depression. I too once tried to wean off on my own and it was very emotional time. I will never do that again without my Drs knowledge and help. Effexor xr has changed my life and improved it greatly. I say try it and if it doesn't work for you, continue to consult with your Dr to find a medicine that helps your depression. Best wishes.”

Jim from Hi. September 7, 2015

“Started at 75 then gradually increased to 300 mg over the course of about a year. Has worked so well for me. 300 mg is optimal for me. If I drop below that my symptoms return within a few days. It has horrible withdrawal effects though. Nausea, headache, dizziness, weakness. It's worth it to me though. I can think clearly, focus on work, not irritated , not depressed or having horrible thoughts on repeat all day. Have not had thoughts of harming myself since I've been on it. Also I have social anxiety. Now I can go places without fear and heart pounding. I've tried paxil, and wellbutrin, but this is it for me. Hope this helped.”

sadgal June 11, 2019

“I am a 19 year old female who has been dealing with severe depression and anxiety for years now, trying out several different medications. (Sertraline, Abilify, Trintellix) I couldn't keep taking Trintellix due to extreme nausea, so my doctor suggested Effexor XR. That's the last time I listen to my doctor. I am currently in a 12 day process of weaning myself off of this medication, after taking it for a little over a month. I had an extreme loss of appetite, to the point where I felt sick after a small fries from Mcdonalds or even a piece of fruit. I have found myself to be very anxious about death/illness/accidents and find myself wanting to spend the least amount of time sober as possible. I have no motivation, and have a hard time staying focused at work. Not to mention, I have had so much trouble with climaxing that it is affecting my relationship. Although I am not nearly as sad as I used to be and don't cry nearly as often, I feel like a numb zombie and not like myself at all.”

FreeAtLast55 February 10, 2017

“I never write reviews but I figured I had to share how truly life-changing Effexor has been for me. I've suffered with GAD and Major Depressive Disorder for quite some time. I was on and off of Prozac for about five years. When it stopped working, I began taking Effexor XR 37.5mg. I started feeling better, more calm, less anxious. Last year, someone I had dated for years and had recently broken up with passed away tragically. I was a disaster. My dosage was increased to 75mg, then 150mg, and now 225mg. Honestly - I don't know how I would have made it to where I am today without this medication. It has controlled my anxiety, my panic attacks and my depression. I still have bad days, I'm still in mourning, but I finally feel normal.”

Hollywood chica September 21, 2014

“The first week of the medication I felt myself thinking better, no excessive worries, no excessive thoughts of sadness and no pain. My mind was clear, my thoughts and emotions was where they need to be. I felt focused and alert. The only problem was I suffer from high blood pressure, which became out of control. Effexor even help with my night sweats. I have been depressed for over two years so I really struggled to keep things in order. If I could have continued with the medication I would have stayed on it. It worked for me in a lot of different ways. ”

anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 12, 2020

“Effexor XR is a miracle drug for me (I have MDD) in the first couple of days I got super sleepy, since then I feel great. I've been taking it for about 2 years. I have depression, severe anxiety, and panic attacks. Effexor XR makes me feel normal, and it keeps out all the unwanted thoughts. The only side effect I have is excessive yawning lol! -and I'm 6 weeks postpartum and the medication is still amazing in helping with that too.”

K. · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 22, 2020

“The best ad for my depression. Only thing was that it made me a little bit numb and I didn’t have many emotions. But otherwise my suicidal thoughts were gone. Also helped with a lot with my insomnia, although I had strange dreams quite often. Have tried taking other antidepressants, I think I have tried every SSRI and SNRI, but effexor was the only one that didn't give me intolerable side effects. I CANNOT tolerate any other medication. Didn’t work well with my social anxiety and GAD, but helped a lot with my depression. The withdrawal was so bad though, I struggled for almost a year to get off of this medication and now I have to get back on it.”

Ct92404 January 20, 2016

“I've had problems with depression off and on for most of my life. The first really severe depression happened when I was 24, and that was also the first time I was prescribed Effexor. I had been off it for several years, until just a few years ago when I had another relapse of major depression, mostly due to things in my life. I have to say that Effexor literally saved my life. There is no such thing as a "happy pill," and Effexor won't magically cure you overnight. BUT it takes the edge off the depression so you don't feel quite so hopeless, and you are able to function again and can go to counselling. It just kind of eases the symptoms of the depression. I had NO side effects from it, other than a very slight drowsiness in the beginning.”

CecieRae · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 13, 2015

“Effexor has had an absolutely amazing impact on my life. I have Major Depression Disorder - I have Anxiety, fun mix! I started off on 75mg and after a couple of months went to 150. Been at 150mg for close to 6 months and I am an entirely different person. My relationships have improved ten fold because I am no longer moody, irrational and I can feel emotions other than hopelessness and indescribable sadness. With that said - I am pretty certain I will never be able to come off this medication. I recently had to go 5 days without my Effexor and it was literally hell. First 2 days, I thought it was the flu - by day 5, I was ready to end it all. 3 days back on and I am golden. Oh plus it makes my pupils HUGE. Like I worry people think I am high.”

happier · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 25, 2019

“I began taking Prozac in 2003 after several major losses in my life. It worked great up until 5 years ago, and so my doctor switched me to Effexor; I started out with 37 mg. and worked up to 150 mg XR. This dosage works well. I have occasional "break through" depression, but it doesn't last real long. It's usually when I'm having a lot of additional stress. The only downside of both medications is that both of them made me unable to have orgasms. I hate that part of it, yet I'm much more balanced by taking it. I'm 65, so maybe that's kinda normal? But I still hate that part!”

Learn more about Major Depressive Disorder