User Reviews for Effexor XR

Learn more about Effexor XR.

Effexor XR Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Effexor XR to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

"I've been taking Venlafaxine 75mg for about 9 months now. It has helped tremendously with my anxiety, unfortunately I've gained 50lbs on this med. I can't keep on this bc of the huge weight gain, but I wish I could. I haven't had any other side effects."

Anxiety Help (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 19, 2016

"I was diagnosed with GAD with symptoms including general fatigue, anxiety, panic and insomnia. Started off at 35mg but now on 150mg in morning and 75mg at night which seems to be keeping me pretty stable. However the withdrawal is horrendous. If I miss a couple of doses I get brain zaps, I can hear my eyeballs moving in my head, very anxious and panic. It works but this is some seriously messed up stuff...I can see I may have to be on this forever wheras I gave up prozac cold turkey with no problems at all."

Betty007 September 18, 2016

"I took this for six months, I felt great, then my doctor took me off it because he said I shouldn't take it for too long, this was 4 years ago, now for the past year my anxiety is horrible. I wish he hasn't taken me off out and now I'm going to talk to my new doctor about it."

Al86 April 9, 2016

"I've only been on this medicine for a month and am experiencing more mood swings. My anxiety has worsened along with my fatigue. I am also experiencing hives and skin sensitivity"

MelissaPhoenix March 1, 2016

"Been on Venlifaxine 75 mg a day for a month. It's the first time I've felt normal in 30 years. I tried everything else and it helped but this is perfect. No side effects."

RayfromAZ January 4, 2016

"I took Effexor XR 37.5mg for 1 month against general anxiety & major depressive episode after big setbacks in business and job. The first week I had to force myself to take it with daily telephone encouragement of the Doctor (GP). Headaches, nausea, sweating, and anxiety about taking the new drug itself. After 3 weeks I did feel a bit better but had strong headaches and felt very tiered still all day. I decided to reduce and phase it out over 2 weeks by taking out the little balls from the pill. To my surprise this was much easier to stop than Paxil that I had discontinued for 8 months (after longterm use). Now without Effexor since 4 weeks; no more headaches or anxiety, feel more alive and productive without these "numbing" drugs."

Mike (52 yrs.) (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 8, 2015

"I wouldn't wish this medicine on my worst enemy. There are other major issues with this medicine than the horrific uptake and withdrawal symptoms. If I missed one single dose of this medication, it made me crazy. Mood swings, dizziness, suicidal thoughts, blurry vision, and more. The only reason I gave it a 2 was because if you're PERFECT at taking your medication, then it might work for you. Maybe. But be ready for the withdrawals because it was the worst few weeks of my life."

Samanthaalucas (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 29, 2015

"You have to get through the uptake before judging. I am taking 75 mg of XR and it took 12 days for the nervousness, hot flashes, complete loss of appetite, and weird nerve sensations to subside. I now feel great and have a sense of calm and happiness that I did not have before with GAD and mild depression. I don't worry as much. I'd give this drug a ten (10) if it wasn't for the delayed ejaculation (I'm 47) during intercourse. Ativan helped get me through the uptake. Buspar (hot flashes, dizziness) and Mirtzapine (weight gain) did not work for me."

tquick (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2015

"I've been on medication since 18 yrs old and this is by far the best than I've taken. And it really works!! The side effects are unconfortable however in the beginning. But once they are gome I feeled good. I've started with 75mg was not enough. Once I was on 150mg the magic operates.And now I have been on 225mg for about 6 months. So far so good. I recommend it. Best thing that happened to me in a while."

Katos1984 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 9, 2015

"My 1st anxiety attack was in 2000 I didn't know what was going on then I saw my doctor and said I had an anxiety attack he placed me on Effexor XR 37.5 mg for 2 weeks then 75 mg after that. I was on it for 14 years then I got off all medication only took Xanax 1 mg. when needed. I lost my job about 5 mo. ago & now having severe anxiety attacks even when I wake up!! I get sweaty, chills, diarrhea, and rapid hear beat. I went to see my doctor he put me back on Effexor 37.5 mg & I'm on day 4 but still having attacks. I hope this gets into my system & soon because it helped me before and I know it will again. No one knows why I get them but I've tried hypnosis, etc . & nothing helps they keep on coming. Plus going to menopause doesn't help"

LindaLexus February 1, 2015

"Effexor has changed my life. I have always had bad anxiety but it got out of control after a traumatic event 3 years ago. Finally decided I needed some help and was prescribed Effexor. I doubted it would help - I tried Lexapro a few years before and had awful panic attacks. I am so glad I was wrong and gave Effexor a chance! My anxiety has greatly decreased and I'm now able to function and think about things other than worries. I had some unexpected benefits too including reduced social anxiety, I'm more motivated, increased confidence, and a general feeling of happiness and well-being. No real negative side effects - I have lost about 15 pounds and I was a normal weight. I feel like this is how I should have been feeling all my life."

My experience (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 26, 2014

255 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Once the correct dosage was established my anxiety and panic attacks steadily improved. I underwent prolonged treatment due to a nasty relapse after the first round, following the birth of my first child. In the last stretch I was on this medicine for 8 years. Dosage peaked at 150mg and after a couple of years following complete symptoms remission we started dropping the dose VERY gradually. I have been off it for 9 months now. I had only mild adjustment side effects when starting the medicine: headache and nausea - both transient. During treatment I had very low libido and poor apetite. Over time, while initial symptoms positively disappeared, I became more irritable but doctor did not attribute this to the medicine but circumstance/nature"

Purpledobermann (taken for 10 years or more) April 23, 2014

"Been on Effexor 150 mg now for 4 weeks having good and bad days. Still hoping this medicine is going to work for me & my generalized anxiety disorder. I do know it can take up to 3 months to fully work."

savvysandra (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2014

"Been on Effexor at 75mg now for 7 weeks still having really bad anxiety. Its only the diazepam that's helping at the moment."

savvysandra (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2014

"My body responded very negatively to this medicine and I had to be pulled off of it. I had a lot of side effects with no relief for my generalized anxiety disorder it was prescribed for. Side effects: tremors, blurred vision, ringing in ears, constipation, irregular period, insomnia, nightmares, light headedness, coldness in extremities, suicidal feelings, murderous feelings, cloudy head, weight gain, nausea, metallic tasting dry mouth."

MzT January 25, 2014

"I've been on Effexor XR going onto 3 years. I started at 37.5mg and am now on 150mg. I find that the body builds a tolerance to it and the dose needs to be increased. It does help my social anxiety almost completely but I still get moments of general anxiety, not anything like they used to be premedication. The only side effect I get is hot flashes. Also when you come down with a cold or flu, there's really nothing you can take except Tylenol for fever and pain due to drug interactions"

Indyria (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 11, 2013

"I was started on 75 mg Effexor and then increased to 150 mg. I felt much better overall. Anxiety was about gone, I could think through my thoughts. However, I was not happy with the sexual dysfunction I experienced on the 150 mg dose. My doctor lowered my dose back to 75 mg and the sexual dysfunction resolved and my generalized anxiety disorder is within tolerable limits. I recently added Vitamin D and B12 to my daily regimen with my Effexor 75 mg ER dose and noticed a huge lifting of the mental fog that I had known for so long. This combination has been keeping my thoughts from racing, my hope from tanking and my perspective in a good and positive place. It works for me."

OK2BME October 4, 2013

117 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Effexor XR changed my life. With Effexor, the anxiety is gone and I am able to stay calm in any situation and sleep well every night. My doctor has told me I can NEVER get off this medication because it changes something in the brain having to do with serotonin. No hope of functioning without this in my system. Well, I can live with that. I've got my life back."

saddled January 17, 2013

173 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking Effexor XR for about 3 weeks now for depression and generalized anxiety disorder. For the first three days I felt a little dizzy but continued with the medication and the dizziness went away once my body got used to it. I get a dry mouth and have lost interest in sex and cannot reach orgasm. I do feel a lot more focused at work and can think more clearly. I do find if I don't take the medication right on time around 9am every morning I get a headache and agitated so I try to take it the same time everyday. Despite the dry mouth and loss of sex drive I will continue with it for another month or two and see what happens when I see my doc again."

Anonymous October 20, 2012

"Effexor gave me my life back. I was so with anxiety for months to the point I would not come out of my room all I was doing was crying I thought I was having a break down. I'm taking 75mg at night at first I felt sick and dizzy but after about 4 weeks I started to feel better. I've been taking them now for 8 weeks and I feel back to normal. I'm back in work full time I still get the odd bad day but that's to be expected. Don't know what I would have done without this medicine. Please be patient with this medication I know it's hard but after 4-6 weeks you will feel better. Good luck with it all I know it's really hard but you will get better."

Gemlie February 22, 2012

152 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"In one sense it handled many of my symptoms, but I became a completely different person. I was no longer myself at all. I made many, many horrible decisions affecting my family friends, business, etc. I adopted a whole new set of values - i just wasn't myself anymore. When I finally decided to go off it I spent 9 months of withdrawal symptoms, splitting capsules every day and gradually reducing the amount of grains. "

darthzilla November 3, 2011

"It really does work. Made me feel mentally sharp again. I was previously always anxious but Effexor completely stopped my anxiety. Unfortunately for me it came with severe sexual side effects. Loss of sex drive, unable to climax, impotence. Male - Taking 75mg daily. Off to try Wellbutrin instead."

Anonymous August 8, 2011

"I've battled with anxiety for 10 plus years, was on medication 6 years ago for it then stopped. I was having intense TMJ because I was constantly clenching my jaw as a coping mechanism for my anxiety. I finally decided to go on medication. My Doctor first put me on Celexa. I felt actually MORE anxious. Though it helped with my negative thoughts. I switched to Effexor. I started at 37.5 mg. I definitely feel a positive difference and my jaw clenching has completely stopped. Now I am up to 75 mg. I just feel very blah. Kind of numb, kind of "dissociative" like I'm not present in my own body. I feel better, but I want to FEEL. I am not sure if I should up my dosage and then I'll feel "normal" or ween myself off."

Anonymous May 7, 2011

"Well I've been on it for 2 days and I noticed the difference the first day. I'm also taking a 1/2 an Adderall for ADHD. The only side effect I have noticed is I yawn a lot. I feel so much better in general. I didn't expect it to work so fast however I feel so much freaking better. I've apparently suffered from GAD my whole life and I'm currently 37. Will it work for everyone who knows but for me, it's been my knight in shining armor as far as feeling normal."

Kawaski Girl March 9, 2011

"I have been on it for about four years, during which my dosage has increased substantially. I cant help but think that tolerance forms with it, that the longer I'm on it, the less effective its become."

deemison April 25, 2010