User Reviews for Effexor XR

Learn more about Effexor XR.

Effexor XR Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Effexor XR to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

"I only took this medication for a short period of time I loved it when I was on it. Increased happiness and just overall life was better until one day as I was driving to work, I lost my peripheral vision in one eye. Luckily it came back...but it is one of the potential side effects that is not listed as it has only happened in a small amount of people. Something like 1-4% of people that take it. I need to try one of the other SNRI's. I am currently on sertraline for PPD, PTSD, and anxiety. And it's working, but not like the Effexor did."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started Effexor XR in Nov 2016. The first week (37.5 mg) was a bit of a roller coaster for me in terms of emotions. Every day around noon I would start to feel a bit panicky and get hot/cold flashes. After about 5 days the mood swings stopped. I had a brief period where I could feel there was a difference, and then it "crashed". I upped the dose, and the same pattern repeated every 3-4 weeks, where the meds would become effective, crash, increase the dose, and repeat. After roughly 6 months of this, I have finally made it to a dosage that didn't crash (187.5 mg). I am SO grateful for this - the benefits were well worth the wait. Doing things/talking to people no longer makes me feel completely exhausted. Have patience with this drug."

Rii May 15, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"At first I read all the reviews positive and negative and was like oh hell no!!! I would leave work early, wouldn't wan to leave the house or even go to the store. So my DR started me on 37.5 mg XR a few months ago. Only side effect was felt sick to my stomach but that went away after a while. I know people are different but WOW has it changed my life and thinking. I felt like an old me again, not worrying like a nervous nelly about things not in my head thinking about the what ifs, was staying at work and going to stores and people around me noticed the change in me. I was more up beat and less nervous. Now today I started the 75mg XR because my DR said let make you feel even more better. Hopefully this works if not I'll just go back down to 37.5mg"

Fitzy11 April 16, 2017

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking Effexor about 3 days ago. So far, it's been pretty crazy. I'm sweaty all of the time, nauseous yet starving, and cannot stay asleep for the life of me. However, it is really helping with my anxiety. I suffer from dermatilioma, which causes me to pick my skin. I have noticed that I've been picking A LOT LESS in just 3 days! My scabs are clearing up, and I'm not "catching" myself picking nearly as often. I also feel calm and relaxed. The side effects seriously suck though. As I type this, my phone is about to slip out of my hands from sweat. I'm a 95 lb 21 year old and I don't think I've ever sweated so much in my life. It's also been making dizzy. It's worth it to me though. If it will help me stop picking, I'll do anything."

Meg95 (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"If my comment helps anyone not to take this drug Effexor then I will have helped many people. I have been on and off Effexor for 10 years I'm currently off Effexor I weaned myself over 6 months. I have not read any where and I have done a lot of research that anyone has written if they have successfully stayed of this drug for more than 12 months. So hear I am to tell you it's been 9 months and once the side effect of the brain buzzes nauseous aching bones itchiness have gone away Life does begin to feel better I caught myself laughing and not feeling it was fake and crying at Tv shows Effexor gives you a fake feeling of happiness/sadness but after being on it for to long you just feel numb I believe this is why people end up wanting to come off it cause you have no emotion that and the amount of weight you will gain. 9 months and I'm probably back to where I began in needing this medication but I am trying everything I possibly can to stay of it This includes: Free hypnosis apps Free mediation apps Self help quotes Vitamin b12 Iron tablets The biggest one is when I mentally feel myself thinking negative I tell myself to stop and think of my daughters smiling face I'm not cured I'm far from it but I will never take this drug again I was worse with it than without it If I help one person not to take this drug the I will be a better person good luck"

Mulloz (taken for 10 years or more) January 4, 2017

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I tried Effexor for 4 weeks and it really made my life a living hell. I got more and more and more anxiety and after 4 weeks, I just couldn't take it further because of the side effects. But the worst part was the week after I stopped taking effexor. It was an insane depression. I"

NorwegianMan (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started to take this med one week ago for my gad. Im feeling a bit "lighter" in the head but i also have a bit more anxiety and i feel dizzy. I've read that this is totally normal, and i have been an benzo addict so i had EXTREME anxiety when i was in rehab getting off that stuff. Now my life is looking brighter, and I have a lot of faith in this med. Just went from 37mg to 75mg once a day. I'm looking forward to share my experience here in one month :)"

NorwegianMan (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started on Zydus Pharm generic Venlafaxine ER 37.5 mg for 1 week, then on to 75mg. Been about 6 weeks on medication. First 3 days I felt amazing, immediate relief of anxiety. After that the side effects were very difficult. Everything in me told me this was not the right medication for me, constant mood swings, anxiety, insomnia. I stuck through after reading positive reviews hoping when side effects cleared up, it would work well for me based on first few days experience. Side effects disappeared suddenly right on the 3 week mark, and medication really started to work. After reading reviews on generic vs. brand name, switched to name brand. Name brand definitely feels cleaner and more effective. Generic side effects went away immediately."

Anxiety Review (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on Effexor XR 150mg for 3 months, it has helped me face social interaction at work and calmed my negative thoughts, I am the happiest I can ever remember, totally changed my outlook on life, mild side effects of constipation and I noticed I have gained about 7 lbs but I also recently quit smoking so I don't know how much to attribute to the med."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 29, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been taking Venlafaxine 75mg for about 9 months now. It has helped tremendously with my anxiety, unfortunately I've gained 50lbs on this med. I can't keep on this bc of the huge weight gain, but I wish I could. I haven't had any other side effects."

Anxiety Help (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 19, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was diagnosed with GAD with symptoms including general fatigue, anxiety, panic and insomnia. Started off at 35mg but now on 150mg in morning and 75mg at night which seems to be keeping me pretty stable. However the withdrawal is horrendous. If I miss a couple of doses I get brain zaps, I can hear my eyeballs moving in my head, very anxious and panic. It works but this is some seriously messed up stuff...I can see I may have to be on this forever wheras I gave up prozac cold turkey with no problems at all."

Betty007 September 18, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took this for six months, I felt great, then my doctor took me off it because he said I shouldn't take it for too long, this was 4 years ago, now for the past year my anxiety is horrible. I wish he hasn't taken me off out and now I'm going to talk to my new doctor about it."

Al86 April 9, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've only been on this medicine for a month and am experiencing more mood swings. My anxiety has worsened along with my fatigue. I am also experiencing hives and skin sensitivity"

MelissaPhoenix March 1, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been on Venlifaxine 75 mg a day for a month. It's the first time I've felt normal in 30 years. I tried everything else and it helped but this is perfect. No side effects."

RayfromAZ January 4, 2016

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took Effexor XR 37.5mg for 1 month against general anxiety & major depressive episode after big setbacks in business and job. The first week I had to force myself to take it with daily telephone encouragement of the Doctor (GP). Headaches, nausea, sweating, and anxiety about taking the new drug itself. After 3 weeks I did feel a bit better but had strong headaches and felt very tiered still all day. I decided to reduce and phase it out over 2 weeks by taking out the little balls from the pill. To my surprise this was much easier to stop than Paxil that I had discontinued for 8 months (after longterm use). Now without Effexor since 4 weeks; no more headaches or anxiety, feel more alive and productive without these "numbing" drugs."

Mike (52 yrs.) (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 8, 2015

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I wouldn't wish this medicine on my worst enemy. There are other major issues with this medicine than the horrific uptake and withdrawal symptoms. If I missed one single dose of this medication, it made me crazy. Mood swings, dizziness, suicidal thoughts, blurry vision, and more. The only reason I gave it a 2 was because if you're PERFECT at taking your medication, then it might work for you. Maybe. But be ready for the withdrawals because it was the worst few weeks of my life."

Samanthaalucas (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 29, 2015

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"You have to get through the uptake before judging. I am taking 75 mg of XR and it took 12 days for the nervousness, hot flashes, complete loss of appetite, and weird nerve sensations to subside. I now feel great and have a sense of calm and happiness that I did not have before with GAD and mild depression. I don't worry as much. I'd give this drug a ten (10) if it wasn't for the delayed ejaculation (I'm 47) during intercourse. Ativan helped get me through the uptake. Buspar (hot flashes, dizziness) and Mirtzapine (weight gain) did not work for me."

tquick (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2015

45 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on medication since 18 yrs old and this is by far the best than I've taken. And it really works!! The side effects are unconfortable however in the beginning. But once they are gome I feeled good. I've started with 75mg was not enough. Once I was on 150mg the magic operates.And now I have been on 225mg for about 6 months. So far so good. I recommend it. Best thing that happened to me in a while."

Katos1984 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 9, 2015

47 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My 1st anxiety attack was in 2000 I didn't know what was going on then I saw my doctor and said I had an anxiety attack he placed me on Effexor XR 37.5 mg for 2 weeks then 75 mg after that. I was on it for 14 years then I got off all medication only took Xanax 1 mg. when needed. I lost my job about 5 mo. ago & now having severe anxiety attacks even when I wake up!! I get sweaty, chills, diarrhea, and rapid hear beat. I went to see my doctor he put me back on Effexor 37.5 mg & I'm on day 4 but still having attacks. I hope this gets into my system & soon because it helped me before and I know it will again. No one knows why I get them but I've tried hypnosis, etc . & nothing helps they keep on coming. Plus going to menopause doesn't help"

LindaLexus February 1, 2015

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Effexor has changed my life. I have always had bad anxiety but it got out of control after a traumatic event 3 years ago. Finally decided I needed some help and was prescribed Effexor. I doubted it would help - I tried Lexapro a few years before and had awful panic attacks. I am so glad I was wrong and gave Effexor a chance! My anxiety has greatly decreased and I'm now able to function and think about things other than worries. I had some unexpected benefits too including reduced social anxiety, I'm more motivated, increased confidence, and a general feeling of happiness and well-being. No real negative side effects - I have lost about 15 pounds and I was a normal weight. I feel like this is how I should have been feeling all my life."

My experience (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 26, 2014

270 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Once the correct dosage was established my anxiety and panic attacks steadily improved. I underwent prolonged treatment due to a nasty relapse after the first round, following the birth of my first child. In the last stretch I was on this medicine for 8 years. Dosage peaked at 150mg and after a couple of years following complete symptoms remission we started dropping the dose VERY gradually. I have been off it for 9 months now. I had only mild adjustment side effects when starting the medicine: headache and nausea - both transient. During treatment I had very low libido and poor apetite. Over time, while initial symptoms positively disappeared, I became more irritable but doctor did not attribute this to the medicine but circumstance/nature"

Purpledobermann (taken for 10 years or more) April 23, 2014

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been on Effexor 150 mg now for 4 weeks having good and bad days. Still hoping this medicine is going to work for me & my generalized anxiety disorder. I do know it can take up to 3 months to fully work."

savvysandra (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2014

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been on Effexor at 75mg now for 7 weeks still having really bad anxiety. Its only the diazepam that's helping at the moment."

savvysandra (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2014

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My body responded very negatively to this medicine and I had to be pulled off of it. I had a lot of side effects with no relief for my generalized anxiety disorder it was prescribed for. Side effects: tremors, blurred vision, ringing in ears, constipation, irregular period, insomnia, nightmares, light headedness, coldness in extremities, suicidal feelings, murderous feelings, cloudy head, weight gain, nausea, metallic tasting dry mouth."

MzT January 25, 2014

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on Effexor XR going onto 3 years. I started at 37.5mg and am now on 150mg. I find that the body builds a tolerance to it and the dose needs to be increased. It does help my social anxiety almost completely but I still get moments of general anxiety, not anything like they used to be premedication. The only side effect I get is hot flashes. Also when you come down with a cold or flu, there's really nothing you can take except Tylenol for fever and pain due to drug interactions"

Indyria (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 11, 2013