User Reviews for Effexor XR

Effexor XR Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Effexor XR to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

"I was given Effexor XR in 2013 for generalised anxiety disorder. I was stable on 75mg for about 4 years when I decided to wean off it because of weight gain & the feeling that it wasn’t effective anymore in 2017. I weaned off using a Prozac bridge but relapsed 4 months later after a death in the family. I was restarted on Effexor XR and after 2 weeks started to feel better & had 2 good weeks. Out of the blue I stopped sleeping, started having panic attacks, paranoia & dark thoughts, I have never experienced anything like it. I sought out a psychiatrist & psychologist for help as my GP didn’t know what to do. I’ve been started on a Tricyclical antidepressant & am slowly weaning off the Effexor. My message is that everyone reacts differently to medication, carefully watch your reactions to a new medication & please seek help if you need it. Thankfully I did & my kids still have a Mum."

Mumof2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 29, 2018

"Just started Effexor Xr 36.5 mg I am hoping for a good results"

Suzyq (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2018

"Stay away from Effexor Xr at all costs. It is absolute awful to come off of and it stops working after a while. This drug should be banned!!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 20, 2018

"On Effexor for 2 years, weaned off to a half dose for a week which was ok, then a quarter dose which again was ok. When I got down to zero, I was very dizzy, which also made me nauseated because I'm prone to motion sickness. Also had diarrhea. Took immodium for the diarrhea, no biggie. IF YOU ARE DIZZY, take OTC Dramamine or Bonine, the motion sickness medicines. They are the same as prescription anti-vertigo meds. You will probably still feel off for a week, but you will be functional. I had a low grade headache the whole time, and "brain zaps". Dramamine seemed to make those less severe also, down to just annoying."

Amy T. (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 17, 2018

"Got sick on day 1 and rash just started 50 mg of trazadone don't remember falling asleep. I just called dr to see if I can cut it in half. I feel like I'm in daze. How long does trazadone take to work in weeks or days?"

Robin (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2018

"I went from Dr. to Dr. for several years, but refused to take anything long term (afraid of getting "hooked"). Finally, after about six years of suffering and down to 129lbs, I went to see a Psychiatrist. He put me on Paxil. It seemed to help a bit, but the anxiety always broke through. Finally, around 2001, my primary care physician put me on Effexor 75mg. I had an initial side-effect, but I just pushed through it. I am glad I did! I went from constant anxiety and barely able to eat, to rarely, if ever, having anxiety and finally able to eat! In the years since (2018 now), The dose has been raised a couple times, and once in a while I will have a setback. However, Effexor (I use the XR generic version) holds my very sensitive fight and flight reaction in check. I strongly recommend this medication. It may not work for everyone, but it made my life liveable again!"

DWC April 21, 2018

"I started this drug in Jan 2018. I started on 37.5 and went up to 75mg after 3 weeks. I have a history of severe anxiety with panic. I can tell you this drug is the only thing I have taken that completely erases negative thoughts and any and all thoughts of panic. I was never really depressed, but I can tell it has lifted my mood as well. I have tried every SSRI under the sun and Effexor is the only thing that worked for the anxiety AND panic. I encourage you to at least try it, if I made decisions based on the reviews I have read from this drug I would have never tried it. We are all different and react differently to each drug. I viewed the med as a nothing to loose situation so I gave it a shot and it worked for me."

Sha2213 February 15, 2018

"My GP put me (female, 19) on Effexor for anxiety, it was the first time I'd taken medication for mental health. I'm going to be honest it was fine while taking it, but looking back I was in an apathetic fog for the year I was on it and totally disregarded my relationships. Coming off of it on the other hand was an absolute nightmare, even under the supervision of a doctor and weaning off slowly, I've never been more miserable! Could not sleep because of paranoia and the mood swings had me ripping books and sobbing over spilt milk or dropping something on the floor. For long term use it would probably be great, but if you're new to antidepressants or just testing it out, be so so careful!"

Taylee2 February 14, 2018

"I wanted to share my experience as I’ve read so many awful reviews about this drug. Granted this isn’t the right one for me, I did not experience the horrible side effects described by some people. My psychiatrist started me out on 75 mg, after while worked up to 150mg, and finally today I’m on 225mg (over the course of about 10-12 weeks). The only side effects I’ve had are occasional headaches and some constipation. I go back to my psych in a few days and I think we will agree to move me on to another Rx. The 150mg dose made me so exhausted, I hated it. I felt awful. When I started the 225mg, I at least felt like a person again and had energy to do basic things like shower and clean my house. It didn’t resolve my anxiety but for those of you who may be afraid to try it, please don’t be afraid of the negative reviews/side effects. I wish so bad this worked for me but it didn’t."

Jes1004 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2018

"I have been on Effexor for 9 weeks now and I have to say it is working like a charm!! I have not experienced any side effects other than a dry month and am a little slower to achieve an orgasm (the desire is still there however). I am soooo glad I decided to take Effexor!! I had been dealing with horrible anxiety for about a year and would constantly think about it throughout the day. I was effecting simple tasks and crippling me. I feel like my old self again! Not over thinking every damn thing! I had an allergic reaction to Zoloft so I was very afraid to start a new med. So glad I did!"

Sheri D December 4, 2017

"Let me start by saying..... Two years ago I was prescribed 37.5mg for 7 days then was supposed to step up to 75mg......I got both prescriptions but after reading all the negative reviews I got scared, never took one pill and threw them all away. Until recently, when I needed to try and see if they work for my own peace of mind. I have generalized anxiety disorder and apparently was depressed as well but didn't realize it until I started taking it. I take 37.5mg at same time at night, just before bed. No side effects. Dr. keeps trying to up it to 75mg but 37.5mg works for me so I won't fill the 75mg script. It takes the "Edge" off. I suggest if you want to try it to start low and take it for awhile but only increase if it's not enough. Cheers!"

Manelyred (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2017

"I have not rated this yet cause I have just started on Effexor XR. I am 48 years old widow. My husband and stepdaughter died 2014 suddenly. I went spinning out of control. I guess you can say I had a nervous breakdown. In the past 6 months my moods have been all over the place from crying to anger. Lashing out in anger with my boyfriend and his son. My doctor took is taking me off slowly Seraquol and Lexapro and has put me on Effexor XR. I have been on it for 3 days. I am starting to feel a little change-for the better. I will keep everyone up to date on how I feel. It is better than being a royal cow."

Hotsie (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2017

"It has changed my life, I've been on effexor (75mg) for almost 2 months and it's hard to realize that your life was a mess before effexor. It took away my physical pain and my anxiety, the first few weeks felt as if a veil was pulled out and then I as able to feel me again and to see everything around me on a new light, calmer light. And I realized I was not a choleric (bad-tempered or irritable) person but a pretty laid back one."

GStella September 7, 2017

"I started taking Effexor around 3 years ago, 150 mg, because I was having a terrible time with anxiety and it was starting to physically manifest itself at the worst possible times. Initially it worked quite well and I was more or less getting back to my normal self. I felt so good, in fact, I thought I no longer needed the Effexor and started the slow taper and eventually stopped taking it. My anxiety quickly returned along with terrible dizziness and an overwhelming fear of being around other people. I also suffered several seizures, which we are still not sure are linked to coming off the Effexor, but my doctors are suspicious. Nonetheless, my life has been HELL since stopping. Trying Lexapro now to hopefully get some of "ME' back."

love2run26 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 9, 2017

"I've been on Effexor for quite a few years now taking 112.5mg. I didn't have any problems with this med but have been wanting to simplify my regime. So 112.5 to 75mg saw no real withdrawal or return of depression or anxiety. But, 75mg to 37.5mg, I cannot bear. I feel awful, irritable, nasty, and even aggressive at times. Imagine waking up every morning for 2 weeks being 50 Shades of Pissed! My personality changed if feels like. Wondering if anyone has experienced this. It would appear that Effexor is effective for my anxiety."

Megan Miles (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 27, 2017

"I was prescribed this medication when Celexa wasn't working. My doctor put me on 75mg to start and that night I took my first dose at 9:30pm and by 11pm I was a total wreck. I became super nauseous and began throwing up quite a bit. My my body was restless and my arms and neck were numb and tingly. I managed to get a bit of sleep but the next morning was a write off - I felt completely disabled and lethargic. I was so weak, I could hardly hold my cell phone. I could hardly walk I was so dizzy and the brain zaps were fierce. I immediately visited my doctor and he prescribed me something else. 75mg to start was way tooooo strong for me. I can't believe the side effects I've suffered after 1 dose. My advice would to please try another option."

Skye080893 (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2017

"Before I was to start this medication I searched and thought I better not take this medication because of all the people who said it was very bad. I have been on Celexa since 2000 with ativan 3 mg per day if needed. I had to get off of Celexa because I started having panic attacks and wasn't working for me. It didn't really work that great for for the past six years. I was terrified to take Effexor XR. Well I couldn't live with panic and anxiety anymore so I took it. I focus better, I don't dwell on things. I can sit and watch a movie without my mind wondering or worrying. I have lost 15 lbs. My husband notices a difference being more outgoing. Don't listen to what has been written. I wish I started this a long time ago. Best of Luck"

indigogirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 5, 2017

"I only took this medication for a short period of time I loved it when I was on it. Increased happiness and just overall life was better until one day as I was driving to work, I lost my peripheral vision in one eye. Luckily it came back...but it is one of the potential side effects that is not listed as it has only happened in a small amount of people. Something like 1-4% of people that take it. I need to try one of the other SNRI's. I am currently on sertraline for PPD, PTSD, and anxiety. And it's working, but not like the Effexor did."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2017

"I started Effexor XR in Nov 2016. The first week (37.5 mg) was a bit of a roller coaster for me in terms of emotions. Every day around noon I would start to feel a bit panicky and get hot/cold flashes. After about 5 days the mood swings stopped. I had a brief period where I could feel there was a difference, and then it "crashed". I upped the dose, and the same pattern repeated every 3-4 weeks, where the meds would become effective, crash, increase the dose, and repeat. After roughly 6 months of this, I have finally made it to a dosage that didn't crash (187.5 mg). I am SO grateful for this - the benefits were well worth the wait. Doing things/talking to people no longer makes me feel completely exhausted. Have patience with this drug."

Rii May 15, 2017

"At first I read all the reviews positive and negative and was like oh hell no!!! I would leave work early, wouldn't wan to leave the house or even go to the store. So my DR started me on 37.5 mg XR a few months ago. Only side effect was felt sick to my stomach but that went away after a while. I know people are different but WOW has it changed my life and thinking. I felt like an old me again, not worrying like a nervous nelly about things not in my head thinking about the what ifs, was staying at work and going to stores and people around me noticed the change in me. I was more up beat and less nervous. Now today I started the 75mg XR because my DR said let make you feel even more better. Hopefully this works if not I'll just go back down to 37.5mg"

Fitzy11 April 16, 2017

"I started taking Effexor about 3 days ago. So far, it's been pretty crazy. I'm sweaty all of the time, nauseous yet starving, and cannot stay asleep for the life of me. However, it is really helping with my anxiety. I suffer from dermatilioma, which causes me to pick my skin. I have noticed that I've been picking A LOT LESS in just 3 days! My scabs are clearing up, and I'm not "catching" myself picking nearly as often. I also feel calm and relaxed. The side effects seriously suck though. As I type this, my phone is about to slip out of my hands from sweat. I'm a 95 lb 21 year old and I don't think I've ever sweated so much in my life. It's also been making dizzy. It's worth it to me though. If it will help me stop picking, I'll do anything."

Meg95 (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2017

"If my comment helps anyone not to take this drug Effexor then I will have helped many people. I have been on and off Effexor for 10 years I'm currently off Effexor I weaned myself over 6 months. I have not read any where and I have done a lot of research that anyone has written if they have successfully stayed of this drug for more than 12 months. So hear I am to tell you it's been 9 months and once the side effect of the brain buzzes nauseous aching bones itchiness have gone away Life does begin to feel better I caught myself laughing and not feeling it was fake and crying at Tv shows Effexor gives you a fake feeling of happiness/sadness but after being on it for to long you just feel numb I believe this is why people end up wanting to come off it cause you have no emotion that and the amount of weight you will gain. 9 months and I'm probably back to where I began in needing this medication but I am trying everything I possibly can to stay of it This includes: Free hypnosis apps Free mediation apps Self help quotes Vitamin b12 Iron tablets The biggest one is when I mentally feel myself thinking negative I tell myself to stop and think of my daughters smiling face I'm not cured I'm far from it but I will never take this drug again I was worse with it than without it If I help one person not to take this drug the I will be a better person good luck"

Mulloz (taken for 10 years or more) January 4, 2017

"I tried Effexor for 4 weeks and it really made my life a living hell. I got more and more and more anxiety and after 4 weeks, I just couldn't take it further because of the side effects. But the worst part was the week after I stopped taking effexor. It was an insane depression. I"

NorwegianMan (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2016

"I started to take this med one week ago for my gad. Im feeling a bit "lighter" in the head but i also have a bit more anxiety and i feel dizzy. I've read that this is totally normal, and i have been an benzo addict so i had EXTREME anxiety when i was in rehab getting off that stuff. Now my life is looking brighter, and I have a lot of faith in this med. Just went from 37mg to 75mg once a day. I'm looking forward to share my experience here in one month :)"

NorwegianMan (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2016

"Started on Zydus Pharm generic Venlafaxine ER 37.5 mg for 1 week, then on to 75mg. Been about 6 weeks on medication. First 3 days I felt amazing, immediate relief of anxiety. After that the side effects were very difficult. Everything in me told me this was not the right medication for me, constant mood swings, anxiety, insomnia. I stuck through after reading positive reviews hoping when side effects cleared up, it would work well for me based on first few days experience. Side effects disappeared suddenly right on the 3 week mark, and medication really started to work. After reading reviews on generic vs. brand name, switched to name brand. Name brand definitely feels cleaner and more effective. Generic side effects went away immediately."

Anxiety Review (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2016