User Reviews for Effexor XR

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Effexor XR.

Effexor XR Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Effexor XR to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

"I have been on Effexor for 9 weeks now and I have to say it is working like a charm!! I have not experienced any side effects other than a dry month and am a little slower to achieve an orgasm (the desire is still there however). I am soooo glad I decided to take Effexor!! I had been dealing with horrible anxiety for about a year and would constantly think about it throughout the day. I was effecting simple tasks and crippling me. I feel like my old self again! Not over thinking every damn thing! I had an allergic reaction to Zoloft so I was very afraid to start a new med. So glad I did!"

Sheri D December 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Let me start by saying..... Two years ago I was prescribed 37.5mg for 7 days then was supposed to step up to 75mg......I got both prescriptions but after reading all the negative reviews I got scared, never took one pill and threw them all away. Until recently, when I needed to try and see if they work for my own peace of mind. I have generalized anxiety disorder and apparently was depressed as well but didn't realize it until I started taking it. I take 37.5mg at same time at night, just before bed. No side effects. Dr. keeps trying to up it to 75mg but 37.5mg works for me so I won't fill the 75mg script. It takes the "Edge" off. I suggest if you want to try it to start low and take it for awhile but only increase if it's not enough. Cheers!"

Manelyred (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have not rated this yet cause I have just started on Effexor XR. I am 48 years old widow. My husband and stepdaughter died 2014 suddenly. I went spinning out of control. I guess you can say I had a nervous breakdown. In the past 6 months my moods have been all over the place from crying to anger. Lashing out in anger with my boyfriend and his son. My doctor took is taking me off slowly Seraquol and Lexapro and has put me on Effexor XR. I have been on it for 3 days. I am starting to feel a little change-for the better. I will keep everyone up to date on how I feel. It is better than being a royal cow."

Hotsie (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It has changed my life, I've been on effexor (75mg) for almost 2 months and it's hard to realize that your life was a mess before effexor. It took away my physical pain and my anxiety, the first few weeks felt as if a veil was pulled out and then I as able to feel me again and to see everything around me on a new light, calmer light. And I realized I was not a choleric (bad-tempered or irritable) person but a pretty laid back one."

GStella September 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking Effexor around 3 years ago, 150 mg, because I was having a terrible time with anxiety and it was starting to physically manifest itself at the worst possible times. Initially it worked quite well and I was more or less getting back to my normal self. I felt so good, in fact, I thought I no longer needed the Effexor and started the slow taper and eventually stopped taking it. My anxiety quickly returned along with terrible dizziness and an overwhelming fear of being around other people. I also suffered several seizures, which we are still not sure are linked to coming off the Effexor, but my doctors are suspicious. Nonetheless, my life has been HELL since stopping. Trying Lexapro now to hopefully get some of "ME' back."

love2run26 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Effexor for quite a few years now taking 112.5mg. I didn't have any problems with this med but have been wanting to simplify my regime. So 112.5 to 75mg saw no real withdrawal or return of depression or anxiety. But, 75mg to 37.5mg, I cannot bear. I feel awful, irritable, nasty, and even aggressive at times. Imagine waking up every morning for 2 weeks being 50 Shades of Pissed! My personality changed if feels like. Wondering if anyone has experienced this. It would appear that Effexor is effective for my anxiety."

Megan Miles (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed this medication when Celexa wasn't working. My doctor put me on 75mg to start and that night I took my first dose at 9:30pm and by 11pm I was a total wreck. I became super nauseous and began throwing up quite a bit. My my body was restless and my arms and neck were numb and tingly. I managed to get a bit of sleep but the next morning was a write off - I felt completely disabled and lethargic. I was so weak, I could hardly hold my cell phone. I could hardly walk I was so dizzy and the brain zaps were fierce. I immediately visited my doctor and he prescribed me something else. 75mg to start was way tooooo strong for me. I can't believe the side effects I've suffered after 1 dose. My advice would to please try another option."

Skye080893 (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Before I was to start this medication I searched and thought I better not take this medication because of all the people who said it was very bad. I have been on Celexa since 2000 with ativan 3 mg per day if needed. I had to get off of Celexa because I started having panic attacks and wasn't working for me. It didn't really work that great for for the past six years. I was terrified to take Effexor XR. Well I couldn't live with panic and anxiety anymore so I took it. I focus better, I don't dwell on things. I can sit and watch a movie without my mind wondering or worrying. I have lost 15 lbs. My husband notices a difference being more outgoing. Don't listen to what has been written. I wish I started this a long time ago. Best of Luck"

indigogirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I only took this medication for a short period of time I loved it when I was on it. Increased happiness and just overall life was better until one day as I was driving to work, I lost my peripheral vision in one eye. Luckily it came back...but it is one of the potential side effects that is not listed as it has only happened in a small amount of people. Something like 1-4% of people that take it. I need to try one of the other SNRI's. I am currently on sertraline for PPD, PTSD, and anxiety. And it's working, but not like the Effexor did."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started Effexor XR in Nov 2016. The first week (37.5 mg) was a bit of a roller coaster for me in terms of emotions. Every day around noon I would start to feel a bit panicky and get hot/cold flashes. After about 5 days the mood swings stopped. I had a brief period where I could feel there was a difference, and then it "crashed". I upped the dose, and the same pattern repeated every 3-4 weeks, where the meds would become effective, crash, increase the dose, and repeat. After roughly 6 months of this, I have finally made it to a dosage that didn't crash (187.5 mg). I am SO grateful for this - the benefits were well worth the wait. Doing things/talking to people no longer makes me feel completely exhausted. Have patience with this drug."

Rii May 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"At first I read all the reviews positive and negative and was like oh hell no!!! I would leave work early, wouldn't wan to leave the house or even go to the store. So my DR started me on 37.5 mg XR a few months ago. Only side effect was felt sick to my stomach but that went away after a while. I know people are different but WOW has it changed my life and thinking. I felt like an old me again, not worrying like a nervous nelly about things not in my head thinking about the what ifs, was staying at work and going to stores and people around me noticed the change in me. I was more up beat and less nervous. Now today I started the 75mg XR because my DR said let make you feel even more better. Hopefully this works if not I'll just go back down to 37.5mg"

Fitzy11 April 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking Effexor about 3 days ago. So far, it's been pretty crazy. I'm sweaty all of the time, nauseous yet starving, and cannot stay asleep for the life of me. However, it is really helping with my anxiety. I suffer from dermatilioma, which causes me to pick my skin. I have noticed that I've been picking A LOT LESS in just 3 days! My scabs are clearing up, and I'm not "catching" myself picking nearly as often. I also feel calm and relaxed. The side effects seriously suck though. As I type this, my phone is about to slip out of my hands from sweat. I'm a 95 lb 21 year old and I don't think I've ever sweated so much in my life. It's also been making dizzy. It's worth it to me though. If it will help me stop picking, I'll do anything."

Meg95 (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"If my comment helps anyone not to take this drug Effexor then I will have helped many people. I have been on and off Effexor for 10 years I'm currently off Effexor I weaned myself over 6 months. I have not read any where and I have done a lot of research that anyone has written if they have successfully stayed of this drug for more than 12 months. So hear I am to tell you it's been 9 months and once the side effect of the brain buzzes nauseous aching bones itchiness have gone away Life does begin to feel better I caught myself laughing and not feeling it was fake and crying at Tv shows Effexor gives you a fake feeling of happiness/sadness but after being on it for to long you just feel numb I believe this is why people end up wanting to come off it cause you have no emotion that and the amount of weight you will gain. 9 months and I'm probably back to where I began in needing this medication but I am trying everything I possibly can to stay of it This includes: Free hypnosis apps Free mediation apps Self help quotes Vitamin b12 Iron tablets The biggest one is when I mentally feel myself thinking negative I tell myself to stop and think of my daughters smiling face I'm not cured I'm far from it but I will never take this drug again I was worse with it than without it If I help one person not to take this drug the I will be a better person good luck"

Mulloz (taken for 10 years or more) January 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I tried Effexor for 4 weeks and it really made my life a living hell. I got more and more and more anxiety and after 4 weeks, I just couldn't take it further because of the side effects. But the worst part was the week after I stopped taking effexor. It was an insane depression. I"

NorwegianMan (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started to take this med one week ago for my gad. Im feeling a bit "lighter" in the head but i also have a bit more anxiety and i feel dizzy. I've read that this is totally normal, and i have been an benzo addict so i had EXTREME anxiety when i was in rehab getting off that stuff. Now my life is looking brighter, and I have a lot of faith in this med. Just went from 37mg to 75mg once a day. I'm looking forward to share my experience here in one month :)"

NorwegianMan (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started on Zydus Pharm generic Venlafaxine ER 37.5 mg for 1 week, then on to 75mg. Been about 6 weeks on medication. First 3 days I felt amazing, immediate relief of anxiety. After that the side effects were very difficult. Everything in me told me this was not the right medication for me, constant mood swings, anxiety, insomnia. I stuck through after reading positive reviews hoping when side effects cleared up, it would work well for me based on first few days experience. Side effects disappeared suddenly right on the 3 week mark, and medication really started to work. After reading reviews on generic vs. brand name, switched to name brand. Name brand definitely feels cleaner and more effective. Generic side effects went away immediately."

Anxiety Review (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Effexor XR 150mg for 3 months, it has helped me face social interaction at work and calmed my negative thoughts, I am the happiest I can ever remember, totally changed my outlook on life, mild side effects of constipation and I noticed I have gained about 7 lbs but I also recently quit smoking so I don't know how much to attribute to the med."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 29, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking Venlafaxine 75mg for about 9 months now. It has helped tremendously with my anxiety, unfortunately I've gained 50lbs on this med. I can't keep on this bc of the huge weight gain, but I wish I could. I haven't had any other side effects."

Anxiety Help (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with GAD with symptoms including general fatigue, anxiety, panic and insomnia. Started off at 35mg but now on 150mg in morning and 75mg at night which seems to be keeping me pretty stable. However the withdrawal is horrendous. If I miss a couple of doses I get brain zaps, I can hear my eyeballs moving in my head, very anxious and panic. It works but this is some seriously messed up stuff...I can see I may have to be on this forever wheras I gave up prozac cold turkey with no problems at all."

Betty007 September 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this for six months, I felt great, then my doctor took me off it because he said I shouldn't take it for too long, this was 4 years ago, now for the past year my anxiety is horrible. I wish he hasn't taken me off out and now I'm going to talk to my new doctor about it."

Al86 April 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've only been on this medicine for a month and am experiencing more mood swings. My anxiety has worsened along with my fatigue. I am also experiencing hives and skin sensitivity"

MelissaPhoenix March 1, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on Venlifaxine 75 mg a day for a month. It's the first time I've felt normal in 30 years. I tried everything else and it helped but this is perfect. No side effects."

RayfromAZ January 4, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took Effexor XR 37.5mg for 1 month against general anxiety & major depressive episode after big setbacks in business and job. The first week I had to force myself to take it with daily telephone encouragement of the Doctor (GP). Headaches, nausea, sweating, and anxiety about taking the new drug itself. After 3 weeks I did feel a bit better but had strong headaches and felt very tiered still all day. I decided to reduce and phase it out over 2 weeks by taking out the little balls from the pill. To my surprise this was much easier to stop than Paxil that I had discontinued for 8 months (after longterm use). Now without Effexor since 4 weeks; no more headaches or anxiety, feel more alive and productive without these "numbing" drugs."

Mike (52 yrs.) (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 8, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I wouldn't wish this medicine on my worst enemy. There are other major issues with this medicine than the horrific uptake and withdrawal symptoms. If I missed one single dose of this medication, it made me crazy. Mood swings, dizziness, suicidal thoughts, blurry vision, and more. The only reason I gave it a 2 was because if you're PERFECT at taking your medication, then it might work for you. Maybe. But be ready for the withdrawals because it was the worst few weeks of my life."

Samanthaalucas (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 29, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"You have to get through the uptake before judging. I am taking 75 mg of XR and it took 12 days for the nervousness, hot flashes, complete loss of appetite, and weird nerve sensations to subside. I now feel great and have a sense of calm and happiness that I did not have before with GAD and mild depression. I don't worry as much. I'd give this drug a ten (10) if it wasn't for the delayed ejaculation (I'm 47) during intercourse. Ativan helped get me through the uptake. Buspar (hot flashes, dizziness) and Mirtzapine (weight gain) did not work for me."

tquick (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2015