User Reviews for Prozac to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Prozac Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 40 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Prozac

RayRay · Taken for less than 1 month June 26, 2020

“I'm starting Prozac today and I'm currently on Zoloft but I've been weaning off of it. I tried about everything except Prozac so we'll see how it goes. Zoloft did help my OCD by didn't cure it.”

Jerry · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 25, 2020

“I’m 40 and for last 15 years have tried and stopped taking many many different SSRI’s and anti-psychotics Meds. Mostly stopped mental drugs cause of side effects, made depression / anxiety worse, and some other issues. But dang! Was on Prozac for last year and this vintage SSRI from the early 1990s has worked better and much much more tolerable than any other drug I have tried.”

Anonymous May 13, 2020

“This medication Prozac has helped me so much and has truly saved my life. My OCD and panic attacks were taking over my life to the point where I felt I could barely function. When this medicine began working for me I felt that I finally am the person I want to be if my OCD and anxiety did not stand in my way. This medication was absolutely amazing for my OCD and anxiety/panic attacks. I am on 50mg.”

Janey12 · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 2, 2020

“Fluoxetine helped to get me out of a bad place with regards to my OCD. I'm so thankful to it. Compared to other medications that I've taken in the past, it has very few side effects, especially in terms of weight gain etc. Alongside therapy, it's changed my life. Without even realising it, my compulsions and ruminating lessened dramatically. It's worth going through the first three weeks of transition, to experience the final effects.”

Steph · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 8, 2020

“My son takes prozac. Thing I like about it, it works for OCD. He still has it, but compared to how it was - the compulsions and tic like compulsions were almost unbearable. Then there was the hoarding! Since taking Prozac most of that has subsiding. He still hoards but it’s not near as extreme. He still has compulsions but it’s less and more manageable. My issue is, when we have periods and his OCD is ramping up, we have to increase and it seems like we have a honeymoon period and need to increase again. Also, for my husband, this medication was horrible. It did not work on him at all. He had better success with lexapro, but we were not trying to treat OCD with him. I think if you’re trying to treat OCD, this is a great option.”

Tilda · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 8, 2020

“After trying countless medications including zoloft, lexapro, lovox, to name a few. I finally found the medicine that healed me. Before taking this medicine, I would do the most bizarre rituals including always selecting the right side of everything, touching objects repetitively, stepping on lines and more. The OCD was mentally draining. I will admit I have done exposure therapy alongside taking this medication, which has helped me tremendously. Have faith, this medicine is a lifesaver. Also if you suffer from OCD join a group on social media. There are more suffers than you think. Also make sure you take this medicine with food.”

Vicky · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 3, 2019

“It did nothing for me. Generic meds don't work”

Depressed gal · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 27, 2019

“Helped me so much with both my depression and OCD. I still get anxiety but my life doesn't revolve around compulsions anymore. First 10-14 days were hard but so worth it. If you are struggling with depression and OCD its really worth giving prozac a try!”

Semsem October 22, 2019

“I benefited a lot from the medicine and combined with Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) it cured my OCD it takes around 2 year to completely cured and to have my thoughts under control and I continued used 20 mg of the medication to control anxiety. I am again successful in life I recommend with good CBT programme.”

Don89 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 1, 2019

“I take it in the morning with my other meds. Less OCD.”

peaches · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 23, 2019

“After trying many forms of therapy for my OCD and anxiety I was beginning to feel as though nothing would work long-term. I started this medication 3 months ago and the dose has gradually gone up since then. The only side effects I’ve experienced is that I’m a little more fidgety than usual, and when I first started it I was a lot more anxious. However, after a few weeks of being on it I started to feel so much better. Now I’m on 20mg and it is definitely the best thing I’ve ever done. With a combination of cognitive behavioural therapy and Prozac I can’t believe how good I feel. I am less anxious, my mood is better, I can control my OCD more. It really does take a few weeks to kick in, but it really does work.”

ki 2 June 18, 2019

“I would like to speak about prozac. When I first started it I felt like giving up . I was on 20mg and I couldn't eat or sleep and my anxiety got so much worse. My thoughts went on overdrive and new OCD thoughts came.However I am now on it three months at 40mg dose and my brain is so much clearer. I can rationalise the thoughts. OCD is no fun but don't suffer . I went on here when I first started and I read a positive thread and it kept me going. Please don't lose hope .”

Boris · Taken for less than 1 month June 12, 2019

“Took Prozac two days. I felt like my soul and conscience were being stripped away. Very hard drug. Dangerous.”

Yellow · Taken for less than 1 month June 5, 2019

“Awful. Couldn't sit still for a minute onProzac, couldn't sleep, got kicked out of the cinema for moving too much. Had to get off it after three days, it was too much.”

Silly goose · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 24, 2019

“I keep meaning to share my review of this drug. I know there are many people reading these reviews just starting Prozac, and extremely anxious. Because at one point I was one of them. How long does it take for Prozac to work you may ask? Well the first few weeks are rough, then at 6 weeks it was like a switch went off and I felt so much better. Panic attacks gone, my OCD is under control (also with help of ERP therapy with psychologist) it has completely changed my life. I almost quit taking it the first few weeks because the side effects were so terrible, but with support from my family and online support groups I kept taking it. I’m here telling anyone struggling PLEASE give this medication at least 5-6 weeks before you quit taking it. Please hang in there. Prozac has literally saved my life.”

A289 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 16, 2019

“Prozac has been pretty good for the depression, my anxiety has been worse though. I get shaky when I get anxious and my knees feel wobbly. I don't feel some of the side effects such as heart palpitations or chest pressure just anxious. Zoloft caused heart issues but I felt like doing some things like going to the gym. With Prozac--no heart issues but I feel more on the lower end with less energy. Started 20 mg 5 months ago then 30mg for a month now 40 mg recently. I hope the anxiety gets better.”

Cheryl · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 30, 2019

“Prozac has changed my life. I feel like I’m living life and enjoying it to the fullest for the first time in a very long time. I use to feel so empty and hopeless. I can truly say I’m the happiest I’ve ever been.”

Reesub February 26, 2019

“I started having really strong suicidal thoughts. I saw a psychatrist and he diagonised me with OCD and said there's no depression inside me I doubt it. He started me on Prozac and Risperdal. I struggled for 1 year long. I decided to change the doctor. He said not to leave Prozac and add one other medicine called effexor. I finally found out that only the brand Prodep Olimelt and Lamez ( Brand name of Prozac Zyprexa and Lamictal in Nepal) work best with each other. No other brands can be used.I am now currently on 150mg Efexor XR( Australian Brand) Prodep 20mg 2 capsules( Nepalese Brand) Olimelt 5 mg ( Nepalese Brand) and Lamez 100mg ( Nepalese Brand) and I am living a life. So if you are suffering from any mental just go to Nepal and ask a psych to take Prodep 20 mg capsule Olimelt 5 mg tablet and Lamez 100 mg Tablet( Remember lamez 50 mg tablet doesn't work well with this combo so just 100mg Tablet) doesn't matter whatever dose you are on. Good luck !!”

Sallyforth · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 23, 2019

“I took this medication for 2 months for body dysmorphic disorder and my breasts grew three cup sizes. I can’t exercise or fit into my old clothes, and I have back and neck pain. It has exacerbated my BDD. I am so afraid I am going to get breast cancer now. It is extremely disturbing, and I am terrified. I have been off it for over a year and they have not gone down. This was not listed in the literature and there was no indication of permanent side effects. If this starts happening to you while taking this medication, please be aware that you could be stuck with it for life. I wish I knew or I would have stopped it immediately.”

dordeduh · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 9, 2019

“Relieves anxiety slightly, not enough to render you a functional human being and definitely not worth the side effects.”

Ffs January 27, 2019

“I love prozac. Life saver”

Al January 24, 2019

“I suffer from harm OCD/intrusive thoughts that honestly took over my life. Prozac gave me my life back and after suffering for 13 years, I now have no intrusive thoughts and my OCD is almost non-existent. This is a miracle drug with little to no side effects, except some mild insomnia. It takes time for the effects to kick in so give it some time, it took about 4-6 weeks for me to really feel a change.”

Mrs.H · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 13, 2019

“I’ve been taking Prozac for 1 year now. I started with 20mg. The anxiety and obsessive thoughts were still there. My dr decided I should go up in the dosage to 40 mg. And it helped tremendously. I would say the side effects while being on the medicine was gain weight, and unable to orgasm. After 8 months of being on 40 mg she suggested to try 30 mg and that was definitely a game changer. I am now able to reach orgasm normally. The first three weeks my sleep was still disrupted so she prescribed me trazadone 25mg. I took that for the first two months and it helped me. I don’t need it anymore.”

Sarah · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 9, 2019

“I’ve tried every SSRI from cipralex (personally hated it) to Zoloft (liked it but made me sleepy and only helped depression not OCD) and now for a few months Prozac. I have never ever ever been so mentally stable in my life. I’m 23 and have severe body dysmorphia and for the last couple of months 40mg of Prozac daily has almost completely halted my repetitive thoughts and image related compulsive behaviours (asking boyfriend for validation, checking mirror constantly, comparing self etc). It’s worked so well that even my boyfriend has noticed how much more stable our relationship is without my constant insecurity caused by the BDD. Couldn’t recommend more. Only side affect is weird vivid dreams but I can deal with that.”

Villanova · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 2, 2019

“I have been on Prozac for about 8 months for OCD and depression. It was been a miracle drug for me. It allows me to actually use my skills learned in years of therapy to fight the intrusive thoughts and urges withhold food and to ritualize. I still have thoughts and urges, but I’m increasing my dose to 30 and then to 40 per docs orders, and am just happy I am living my life without my fears and thoughts ruling over me. I can eat without my fear on contamination ruling my mind and process through a lot more. I experienced side effects when starting but then they go away. I also take 5,000 mg of vitamin D for my low levels which helps with the depression. Good luck to all!”

Learn more about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder