User Reviews for Prozac

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Prozac.

Prozac Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 37 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Prozac to treat Panic Disorder

"I have taken Prozac 20 and 40mg quite a few years ago with really positive outcome, but at a point it stopped working so I went to welbutrin. recently I started to get panic again and my doctor thought adding Prozac into my daily regimen would help because it worked so well in the past. The side effects were so difficult for 3 weeks. crying, unable to eat, anxiety every minute, lost about 10 pounds which was a good side effect :). but they did subside. It seemed to be working but now some days I am having anxiety again and tremors daily. Unfortunately it isn't working this time around and will be switching off it, but I would definitely recommend it for people since it did once work wonderfully for my panic and GAD."

Cheryl2280 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took Paxil for the past 5 years for anxiety/depression/panic. Stopped it 1 year ago to pursue pregnancy. I did well for the 1st 6-8 mos but then began to fall apart. Anxiety, panic attacks, depression all returned. I was put on Prozac because it's pregnancy friendly about 1 week ago. I've had the worst reflux/heartburn I've ever had in my life. I take the pill at night because it made me sleepy the 1st day when I took it in the morning. I'm currently on day 8, the reflux is slightly better but I have increased anxiety/panic. I hadn't had this the 1st week. Does anyone have an similar stories? I appreciate feedback. I'm not sure whether to stick it out on Prozac or switch to a different med."

DippyLee (taken for less than 1 month) October 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Just wanted to share my experience. Woke up in the middle of the night 2 weeks ago with a massive panic attack that I thought was a heart attack. Went to the ER two nights in a row because they just wouldn't stop. Saw my doctor the next day and was diagnosed with general anxiety and panic disorder. Was prescribed 20 MG prozac (fluoxetine). First week was horrible, almost all my symptoms increased couldn't eat lost my sex drive. It's now a week in and I can't even tell you how much better I feel. Everything is back to normal eating like crazy, sex drive is back this drug is a miracle. It will probably worsen your symptoms at first but think of it as an investment and keep pushing through and you should feel better. Hope this helps anyone."

Caius91 (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"29 year old healthy guy here. Taking Prozac 10MG and 0.50 Xanax Extended Release for the past 6 months. I'm posting to support the people who feel they will never be free of panic/anxiety. I now feel 90% better! I was having mid the night panic attacks and weird/scary intrusive thoughts. I went to the psychiatrist that had the best Google reviews that took my insurance. Was diagnosed with Panic Disorder and mild OCD. Originally tried Prozac at a higher dose, but it made me sleepy and made me feel sweaty/hot often. Xanax XR was also added. It has worked very well in combo. I take both nightly at bed so I have a peaceful deep sleep. Prozac took about 2-3 months to really sink in to my system. You CAN feel better. Get a caring/good doctor!"

N3052 July 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worked very well for me for about ten years then for some unknown reason it just stopped doing its job. This drug and Elavil are the only two out of the handful of meds I have used that actually work and have no nasty side effects. I would recommend this to anyone suffering from panic and if it does not work for you try Elavil next. If it wasn't for these two meds life would be absolute crap!"

13crocs (taken for 10 years or more) June 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is my second time taking Prozac. I took it for two years before for panic attacks, insomnia, OCD and it did wonders. After a month my head cleared up, my memory improved as well as my sleep. (No longer waking up in the middle of the night worried about things). Only downside is that I tend to gain a lot of weight on it. As soon as I stopped last time the weight came off almost immediately. I plan to watch what I eat and exercise more this time. After a month now I have already started feel 2000% better and sleeping sooo good."

Sooo good (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Omg I'm glad I stuck to this medication..words can't describe how much better I feel after 3 weeks of takin it..I had boost my self up to 40mg and I will be honest and let my doctor know. NowI feel so levelled, clear minded and naturally happy. I feel like myself. I even have more energy . I take Gabapentin 3 times a day, prozac soon as I wake up and seroquel for sleep. If you are really mentally ill prozac is the PERFECT medicine..it's a MIRACLE!"

Brin June 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Developed panic disorder with agoraphobia one year ago after a traumatic experience on a plane. I finally gave in and decided to start treatment with Prozac. I was on 20mg for 3 weeks, then upped to 40 mg. No bad side effects AT ALL. My mood and attitude have improved greatly, and my daily panic attacks have diminished. When I do feel anxious occasionally, I am able to breathe it out and calm down, instead of ending up in the ER. I am now able to leave the house and drive, shop, run errands with no panic. I am still unable to travel by plane... otherwise, 10/10! And I am only on week 5. Heard it only gets better!"

melba32 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Tried Zoloft and lexapro but had stomach problem side effects for months. I tried the generic Prozac 20 mg and had a month of horrible side effects until 6 weeks it finally worked. Helps so much, no attacks and only have a little anxiety once in a while. Worth it!!!!"

Buzz91 April 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hello all, It is April 20th 2017. I started taking prozac in January 2017. I hated prozac. I was never depressed in the first place to begin with. My psychiatrist prescribed me the pills. They did not work for me. I have not been taking the pills since April 17th. So its been 3 days and I feel better and beginning to be back to my normal ways and more alert and less depressed. I have read online that people who stopped taking it feels good at first then it starts to kick in like emotions and stuff trying to get it out of ur system. I guess withdrawal? But I couldn't do prozac anymore. Made me VERY depressed and annoyed all the time. Didn't work for me"

Tiamani April 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Having horrible anxiety that comes and goes especially if things change. As a child I was diagnosed with attention deficit disorder but mom disagreed. I was very anxious and unable to concentrate and unable to become a good student so I sufferered tremendously. Started Prozac 20 mg and hope it helps. I am 64 and just stopped working full time because my anxiety kicked in ."

Riley-Gunther (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi there , I started thanking this magic pill about 4 mos ago . I've had general anxiety disorder and depression for at least 20 yrs . Biggest anxiety is with taking medication . Finally at 44 it hit me like a brick & I stopped driving and not being able to work due to crippling anxiety and irrational fears ..I seemed help and got the courage to start on 10 mg Prozac about 4.5 mos ago , increased to 20 mgs after 3 weeks . I have to say this medication truly saved my life & sanity ! I feel normal again and anxiety is gone ! I recommend it to anyone who has double thoughts about it , it truly works :)"

Ak72 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Re Prozac: I started this medication May 1, 2016 for Anxiety and Panic Disorder. I started at Prozac 20 mgs and felt good but it suddenly stopped working after 10 days. 10 days later, I bumped it up to 40 mgs. At the onset of taking 20 mgs and 40 mgs, my anxiety was 5 fold, unable to sleep well, constant nausea, & lost my appetite. I did use a benzo at times to reduce the anxiety which was high. It is now June 10, 2016, I got my appetite back and sleep pattern was back to normal. Prozac has made a big change in my life. I feel less anxiety and less panicky. Prozac is working pretty well thus far and haven't had to use a benzo in over 14 days. You must give Prozac at least 6 or 8 weeks and you'll know by that time if it is for you or not."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on this med for a year. Haven't ended up in the hospital since for panic disorder and depression. It makes my mood stable and gives me energy and motivation to live life. I'm in my mid 20s and am lucky how much this drug has helped me. My anxiety and panic disorder can be frightening, plus the depression aspects can make for a scared and crying disaster. The negatives I've had on this was when I first started I could not eat. But that side effect did go away after a few weeks. The other side effect is not being able to fall asleep without some sort of drug to slow my brain down. I've been on a combination of mood drugs. I plan to stay on Prozac."

boscns May 30, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed this drug for panic disorder and was on it for 2 weeks. I have never felt wise in my entire life. I did bit eat or drink unless forced, spiraled into depression, and just was not the excited loving person I normally am. I world go home and state at the wall for 5 hours then crawl into bed and sleep. I had nightmares each night. I felt dead and like I was floating above my body. My friends and teachers became more worried than before. I had to get off that pill"

kklr (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have suffered from severe depression and anxiety for 9 years and have tried every medication under the sun and nothing has worked until now! I feel normal, not drugged and best part is no anxiety or depression. I take 10 mgs of this with 1 milligram of Risperdal daily for bipolar disorder and I get so much accomplished its ridiculous! I'm okay with being alone, I don't feel like I need a man or a miracle anymore and my expectations are more realistic. I look forwarding to coming home which is something I used to dread as I have 3 young children, 1 with autism. Prozac makes my job as a single mother so much easier!"

Jen1981 (taken for less than 1 month) February 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started generic brand of Prozac more than 3-4 years ago. I started at 20mg and am still on that same dose. Before Prozac, I lost almost 50 pounds because I didn't eat. I was depressed and always anxious. I was afraid of weird things, like taking a shower because I thought I would fall and die. I was afraid to win the lottery ( never would happen anyway lol) I never had anything like this in my life! I was newly wed, and just had baby. So I guess it was normal to have those feelings. Prozac has been great. first few weeks on it I had increased anxiety. Worse thing is I gained about 75-80 pounds !!"

Matt127 January 17, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on paxil 40mg for 13 years and Gained 100 lbs! Thought I was better so got of the paxil, 3 months later had bad panic and anxiety, dr. Put me on effexor 75mg....not good! Felt spacey, couldn't eat, lost 40lbs in 3 months, went back to the dr. And he had me switch right over to fluoxetine 20mg, IAM on my 5th day and already feel clear headed!!!! Alittl nausea through out the day but doing great!!!! Really hope this med works"

Hopeful900 November 7, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am going to use Prozac, after reading you comments, I have early morning depression is called diurnal mood variation.. I will start with 10mg."

Ali Pakistani October 25, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine was actually doing some good. My doctor started me off at 10mg since I don't respond well to antidepressants (such as Paxil, Effexor). At first I started actually having the suicidal thoughts they warned me about for the first week. Eventually after 3 weeks I started to notice a difference in my panic attacks. They were weaker but still bothersome. My depression was also getting better but around 2 months of taking it. I still had the crying spells. I told my doctor and he bumped me up to 20 mg. Slowly I really started to notice a bigger improvement. It's been almost 3 months and my panic attacks are very weak as I am able to control them! My crying spells aren't as bad but I still get them. (Not as often which is great!)"

Jona R October 17, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have currently been on prozac for the past 4 months and it has been a miracle drug. I was having severe anxiety and panic attacks every day. I couldn't drive a car by myself for fear of having a panic attack and losing control, I couldn't go ANYWHERE by myself and I could not stay home alone. I am a 22 year old female and once I turned 21, I developed debilitating anxiety. I tried zoloft and lexapro and both drugs made my anxiety and panic attacks sky rocket. Before starting prozac, I was a mess. My anxiety prevented me from functioning. I could barely even go to class or work without having a panic attack. I am currently taking 30mg of prozac and I am doing so much better, it is amazing!"

Justpeachy132 October 14, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking generic Prozac 20 mg for 17 days now, 10mg for 10 days before that. I have been reading all of the comments and am starting to have hope! My anxiety has increased a lot since I started this, I take ativan when needed, which is every day! Other than the daily panic attacks I don't seem to have any side affects which is great! I've been thinking that maybe this drug is not for me but after reading other people experiences I will ride it out and hope that everything works out after I'm on it for 6-8 weeks. Hoping and praying it does cause I need my life back!"

Anonymous September 29, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking prozac,going on week 2 now. The symptoms are almost unbearable. My stomach gets upset,can barely eat. I can't even sleep at all. It's like I am tired...but I can't sleep. And I feel tired all day. The one thing I can't stand...is the light headed feeling,and I am shaky all the time. It gets bad..... I'm about ready to throw this medication in the trash. The symptoms are almost as bad as my anxiety attacks. In fact...it makes it worse."

Pand0rahBear September 15, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Cured my panic disorder, which was huge. Also levelled me off emotionally. But...sexual disfunction is definitely an issue. I also seem to have a lack of empathy for others that I don't like. Overall, though, I've been helped by this med."

eddieboy62 August 25, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The things that bothered me before Prozac were greatly enhanced once I was on Prozac. If a normal panic attack was a 5 out of 10 before Prozac, then after, they were 100. My thoughts became very irrational as well as a sense of overwhelming doom. I have been off the meds for three days and I am just starting to settle some."

SBCap August 7, 2015