User Reviews for Prozac

Learn more about Prozac.

Prozac Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 37 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Prozac to treat Panic Disorder

"Re Prozac: I started this medication May 1, 2016 for Anxiety and Panic Disorder. I started at Prozac 20 mgs and felt good but it suddenly stopped working after 10 days. 10 days later, I bumped it up to 40 mgs. At the onset of taking 20 mgs and 40 mgs, my anxiety was 5 fold, unable to sleep well, constant nausea, & lost my appetite. I did use a benzo at times to reduce the anxiety which was high. It is now June 10, 2016, I got my appetite back and sleep pattern was back to normal. Prozac has made a big change in my life. I feel less anxiety and less panicky. Prozac is working pretty well thus far and haven't had to use a benzo in over 14 days. You must give Prozac at least 6 or 8 weeks and you'll know by that time if it is for you or not."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 22, 2016

"Been on this med for a year. Haven't ended up in the hospital since for panic disorder and depression. It makes my mood stable and gives me energy and motivation to live life. I'm in my mid 20s and am lucky how much this drug has helped me. My anxiety and panic disorder can be frightening, plus the depression aspects can make for a scared and crying disaster. The negatives I've had on this was when I first started I could not eat. But that side effect did go away after a few weeks. The other side effect is not being able to fall asleep without some sort of drug to slow my brain down. I've been on a combination of mood drugs. I plan to stay on Prozac."

boscns May 30, 2016

"I was prescribed this drug for panic disorder and was on it for 2 weeks. I have never felt wise in my entire life. I did bit eat or drink unless forced, spiraled into depression, and just was not the excited loving person I normally am. I world go home and state at the wall for 5 hours then crawl into bed and sleep. I had nightmares each night. I felt dead and like I was floating above my body. My friends and teachers became more worried than before. I had to get off that pill"

kklr (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2016

"I have suffered from severe depression and anxiety for 9 years and have tried every medication under the sun and nothing has worked until now! I feel normal, not drugged and best part is no anxiety or depression. I take 10 mgs of this with 1 milligram of Risperdal daily for bipolar disorder and I get so much accomplished its ridiculous! I'm okay with being alone, I don't feel like I need a man or a miracle anymore and my expectations are more realistic. I look forwarding to coming home which is something I used to dread as I have 3 young children, 1 with autism. Prozac makes my job as a single mother so much easier!"

Jen1981 (taken for less than 1 month) February 24, 2016

"I started generic brand of Prozac more than 3-4 years ago. I started at 20mg and am still on that same dose. Before Prozac, I lost almost 50 pounds because I didn't eat. I was depressed and always anxious. I was afraid of weird things, like taking a shower because I thought I would fall and die. I was afraid to win the lottery ( never would happen anyway lol) I never had anything like this in my life! I was newly wed, and just had baby. So I guess it was normal to have those feelings. Prozac has been great. first few weeks on it I had increased anxiety. Worse thing is I gained about 75-80 pounds !!"

Matt127 January 17, 2016

"I was on paxil 40mg for 13 years and Gained 100 lbs! Thought I was better so got of the paxil, 3 months later had bad panic and anxiety, dr. Put me on effexor 75mg....not good! Felt spacey, couldn't eat, lost 40lbs in 3 months, went back to the dr. And he had me switch right over to fluoxetine 20mg, IAM on my 5th day and already feel clear headed!!!! Alittl nausea through out the day but doing great!!!! Really hope this med works"

Hopeful900 November 7, 2015

"I am going to use Prozac, after reading you comments, I have early morning depression is called diurnal mood variation.. I will start with 10mg."

Ali Pakistani October 25, 2015

"This medicine was actually doing some good. My doctor started me off at 10mg since I don't respond well to antidepressants (such as Paxil, Effexor). At first I started actually having the suicidal thoughts they warned me about for the first week. Eventually after 3 weeks I started to notice a difference in my panic attacks. They were weaker but still bothersome. My depression was also getting better but around 2 months of taking it. I still had the crying spells. I told my doctor and he bumped me up to 20 mg. Slowly I really started to notice a bigger improvement. It's been almost 3 months and my panic attacks are very weak as I am able to control them! My crying spells aren't as bad but I still get them. (Not as often which is great!)"

Jona R October 17, 2015

"I have currently been on prozac for the past 4 months and it has been a miracle drug. I was having severe anxiety and panic attacks every day. I couldn't drive a car by myself for fear of having a panic attack and losing control, I couldn't go ANYWHERE by myself and I could not stay home alone. I am a 22 year old female and once I turned 21, I developed debilitating anxiety. I tried zoloft and lexapro and both drugs made my anxiety and panic attacks sky rocket. Before starting prozac, I was a mess. My anxiety prevented me from functioning. I could barely even go to class or work without having a panic attack. I am currently taking 30mg of prozac and I am doing so much better, it is amazing!"

Justpeachy132 October 14, 2015

"I have been taking generic Prozac 20 mg for 17 days now, 10mg for 10 days before that. I have been reading all of the comments and am starting to have hope! My anxiety has increased a lot since I started this, I take ativan when needed, which is every day! Other than the daily panic attacks I don't seem to have any side affects which is great! I've been thinking that maybe this drug is not for me but after reading other people experiences I will ride it out and hope that everything works out after I'm on it for 6-8 weeks. Hoping and praying it does cause I need my life back!"

Anonymous September 29, 2015

"I have been taking prozac,going on week 2 now. The symptoms are almost unbearable. My stomach gets upset,can barely eat. I can't even sleep at all. It's like I am tired...but I can't sleep. And I feel tired all day. The one thing I can't stand...is the light headed feeling,and I am shaky all the time. It gets bad..... I'm about ready to throw this medication in the trash. The symptoms are almost as bad as my anxiety attacks. In fact...it makes it worse."

Pand0rahBear September 15, 2015

"Cured my panic disorder, which was huge. Also levelled me off emotionally. But...sexual disfunction is definitely an issue. I also seem to have a lack of empathy for others that I don't like. Overall, though, I've been helped by this med."

eddieboy62 August 25, 2015

"The things that bothered me before Prozac were greatly enhanced once I was on Prozac. If a normal panic attack was a 5 out of 10 before Prozac, then after, they were 100. My thoughts became very irrational as well as a sense of overwhelming doom. I have been off the meds for three days and I am just starting to settle some."

SBCap August 7, 2015

"I'm on day 25 taking this medication. I am taking the generic Prozac for anxiety and severe panic attacks. I started on 20mg. The side effects were horrible. I couldn't stop shaking, my heart was racing, I couldn't eat, sleep, it made my anxiety worse. I went to my doctor by the 10th day and he prescribed me klonopin. I only took klonopin once, it did help but I just didn't like the feeling. I wanted to stop taking fluoxetine because it made me feel worse but I kept taking it. By the third week I was able to eat again. It is now day 25 and I am starting to feel like myself again. My anxiety and panic attacks went from a 10 to a 3. I am planning on upping my dosage by day 30. I highly suggest trying out this medication. Don't be scared."

Dee_lopez July 10, 2015

"Most of my life I have struggled with severe panic attacks, general anxiety, PTSD & moderate depression. Been on meds twice before until I felt better & then I would stop taking them. This last time it had been close to a year that I had been suffering again before I decided to reluctantly go back on meds. I tried Celexa again- it worked kinda okay in the past but this time it made no improvement for me. Saw the doc who switched me to Prozac- all I can say is WOW! Best yet- I feel like my old, happy self after only 1 month! 10mg the first week, 15 the second and 20mg the last two. Give it time to work & be patient- it might make you feel a bit off & not better at first, but it is a miracle drug. These bad feelings will pass hang in there!"

DavidKirsch38 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 15, 2015

"I was on 10mg Prozac for general anxiety and panic attacks for 2 years. I had no side effects and my panic attacks decreased tremendously. However I recently started having them again so my doc worked me up to 40mg/day. I feel happy. But I feel like it is too much. I don't feel love anymore, and I feel like my emotions are so flat that although I'm not getting the panic attacks, I would almost rather deal with them than be unable to feel emotions. I have been dating a guy for 2 years, and all of a sudden after being on 40mg daily for six weeks I don't feel like I'm in love with him anymore. I can't tell if it is because of the medication or if it is actually me. I will be talking to my doc about decreasing my dose to 20mg."

Vizzle (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 14, 2015

"Have been on Prozac since it came out many years ago. I had severe panic disorder with anxiety attacks. I was also agoraphobic. Since being in Prozac I was able to return to work, go to college. Now that I am retired I am able to travel to different states."

KitkT August 7, 2014

127 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Fluoxetine is pretty gentle compared to most other anti-depressant medicines. I had a good response from Zoloft almost 20 years ago, and when I had breakthrough depression I was switched to Effexor. Effexor worked but was prohibitively expensive. Then I was finally stated on Prozac(fluoxetine). I had zero side effects during the first week--which was vastly different from my experience with the other two--and at 40mg/day fluoxetine seems just as efficacious. Fluoxetine has worked well for my panic, depression, and general anxiety. One must give it time to work. For people that are really struggling six weeks can seem a lifetime, but for many that is how long it takes for fluoxetine to 'work'."

OnceStuckInLimbo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 7, 2014

"I started experiencing panic attacks a few months ago, so bad that I thought I was dying each time I had one, my college NP prescribed me Prozac, the first month of taking it was HELL, my anxiety defiantly increased and I had more frequent panic attacks, my doctor said this was normal and to stick with it and I did! Let me tell you it has changed my life, I am able to function normally now and even though I experience some anxiety, I am able to manage it. Prozac has just made me a genuinely happier person and I recommend it to anyone with anxiety, especially with panic attacks and depression."

Alex D (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2014

134 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"One of the few anti-depressants I can tolerate. Most cause major sleep disorders, But with Prozac I don't have a problem. Not really sure if it helps much with panic attacks, I've tried 20mg and 40mg, sometime 40 mg seems to be a bit much."

Sambaluk August 1, 2013

"Did not work for my anxiety and made it difficult to maintain an erection."

Tamakachi (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 6, 2013

"I've been taking Prozac 20MG for 3 weeks now. It has changed my life. I take other meds (Xanax 1MG, Depakote 1000MG, Norco 10/325MG, Nexium 40MG) For other problems. Well I take the Xanax 4 times a day as needed to help with my anxiety and panic disorder. My Panic attacks were so bad I was hospitalized for a week. I couldn't function. I suffered unknown seizures because of panic disorder. Now I can Go about my Life. The only problem I have with Prozac is that it makes me go to the bathroom very often. The first few days it made me sleepy but that went away. I'm 16. It also helps depression too, its helped mine a lot. I would recommend this to anyone who suffers from severe anxiety like me."

chandlaaz (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2013

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I got severe depression in College, had it in high school as well and took some antidepressant that started with an L (I really can't remember). I started taking Prozac my 2nd year in college after my girlfriend broke up with me. It helped tremendously overcome the loneliness. The only problem I've ever had with it is my REM sleep. I didn't take my pill for 2 days over spring break this past week and had the worst panic attack I've ever had in my life I thought I wanted to die, it was the worst car ride I have ever experienced. As soon as I took my Prozac everything was better. I trust this."

Livinglife420 March 23, 2013

"Prozac absolutely changed my life. Not only did it get rid of my daily anxiety and is slowly but surely getting rid of my social anxiety, but it also made me generally a happier person. By far the best anxiety medicine I've tried."

laurenleisa (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2012

123 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been hesitant try Prozac as I didn't want to be a zombie or overly sedated. But after 5 years of dealing with Panic Disorder/Generalized Anxiety and countless antidepressant not working, I decided to give it a try. The first month was pretty rough. I was always tired, brain was foggy and I continued to have anxiety. But I stuck with it and after increasing to 30 mg, I felt absolutely NORMAL. I could feel emotions and even a normal amount of anxiety without freaking out. It has also helped with social anxiety. DOWNSIDE - I find it almost impossible to get any deep sleep on this medicine, and no sleep medicine seems to work (I've tried them all)."

Anonymous April 1, 2012