User Reviews for Prozac

Learn more about Prozac.

Prozac Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 222 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Prozac to treat Depression

"I was on this medication for over 14 weeks and it made me into an unemotional zombie. My grandma literally passed away in front of me and I couldnt even shed a tear. It helped get me moving around more but, it wasnt really helping my depression. I wasnt happy at all and my anhedonia still persisted. Also, on top of all that Prozac made me lose my libido/sex drive even after I stopped taking it over 6 weeks ago. Im scared my libido/sex drive is never going to come back. This is why I only rated this drug a 1."

MixedBipolarDude16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2016

"This is a great medicine. I switched to this after taking lexapro and having some difficult-to-manage side effects. I did not have any side effects at all on Prozac in the beginning. I have noticed that recently I have more of an appetite. I monitor what I eat so I haven't gained weight but it is more of a challenge. My sister is also on the same dose but has not had the hunger side effect."

ZisserZasserZooz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 2, 2016

"At first it made me feel really sick constantly and have stomach aches but after 2 weeks it started to help me cope with my anxiety and depression waaay better. I wanna make it clear I wasnt looking for a cure when I started taking prozac, but just a way to better manage my feelings because I dont think I will ever be cured since Ive been chronically depressed my whole life. And it does really help me manage way better, I still have depressive episodes tho, but I dont break down crying easily or feel anxious all the time and I stopped disassociating."

Anaqueef (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 20, 2016

"Been on Prozac before and worked well. Left it too long before seeking help this time, never felt this bad, extreme anxiety, depression and feelings of doom and obsessive racing thoughts. First week in and making me worse, but this is to be expected I guess. Docs upped them to 30 mg so will see what happens. Cry all morning, wake early sweating and anxious, feel sick, lost a lot of weight. Want my life back"

Dizzydaisydoo (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2016

"six years ago I almost lost my life from an abusive relationship. I am 24 years old now. Luckily I am a survivor of domestic violence. From that traumatic time in my life I have been severely depressed, anxious & have had thoughts of suicide. For the past six years I have been on & off depression medications. Some have worked but the effects were too extreme. I tried Effexor but didn't like it too much and the withdrawal was terrible. Then I tried to work things out without medication and was doing good for a while but became very depressed/gained weight and so decided to give medications a try again. Recently started on Prozac (10 mg) about a week ago so far the low dose is good for me. I am more positive, exercise daily & new diet."

PTSD gal November 2, 2016

"This medication was awful. Despite only being 17 at the time so the doctor decided that I would be put on this medication for my depression I knew that there was a chance that this may cause my condition to deteriorate. I saw no improvements with the 10mg so my doctor increased this to 20mg. This is where it all went downhill. I developed full blown Panic disorder as I was having several panic attacks a day so I was unable to go to school. The medication increased my suicidal thoughts to the point where I was not sleeping at night due to constantly thinking of ways to kill myself. One day I nearly did attempt suicide so I had to be assessed by a Psychiatrist who put me on tranquilisers for a week then admitted me to a psychiatric unit."

India98 October 23, 2016

"I am a recovering opiate addict and alcoholic. I have been sober for five years and extremely grateful. However, I have been diagnosed several times by physicians as having depression. It got so bad about a month ago that I decided to try Prozac 20mg. I have been on Celexa in the past but it made feel disconnected. The Prozac took about three weeks to kick in but it is working wonderfully now for a few days. It is like a switch was flipped and I just feel normal and positive. I do have some of the usual side effects but they are bearable. Everyone is different for sure but I am very pleased with Prozac thus far. If you are trying this medicine, stick with it as it does take a while to have an effect. very grateful!"

Nigeloz October 21, 2016

"I've been depressed for most of my life but was raised to "tough it out". I am a recovering opioid addict so I am scared to take any medication at all. The last 3 years I've completely withdrawn from any social activities, relationships & have just been doing the bare minimum to get by. Recently my oldest son turned 18 & has severed ties with me. This took me to the lowest low I've ever been & made me suicidal. For the sake of my younger son, I chose to get help. I was put on 20mg of prozac & have been on it for 3 weeks. I wish I would have done this sooner. Through my recovery from opioids, I've learned that pills are not the answer so these combined with counseling is the solution I've needed for a long time. I hope this helps others."

TT79 (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2016

"I have been on several different SSRIs before and haven't seen much improvement. So far, this seems to be the only antidepressant that's worked for me and hasn't given me too many side effects. I was on Luvox, which wasn't helping at all for any of the multiple conditions it was prescribed to treat, and was switched to an equivalent dose of Prozac. Ever since starting it, I've had more energy and have been able to smile, laugh, and overall just feel like a normal person. For me, in combination with Seroquel, Adderall (for ADHD, but also gives what I take for depression a little boost), and Wellbutrin, this is a wonder drug. It still helps me get through every day after quite a few months on it. Couldn't say the same about other SSRIs."

Xelleld (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2016

"My nurse practioner kept insisting I try Prozac along with Olanzapine for my severe bipolar depression because it was the gold standard (supposedly they work good together). So, I ended up taking Prozac all the way up to 60 mg for over 12 weeks (along with Carbamazepine, Olanzapine & now Saphris) and I only got a partial response to the medicine. It helped get me functioning again but I wasnt happy. I still didnt enjoy the things I loved doing. For example, I would try listening to music or play video games but it wouldnt do anything for me. The euphoria was kind of missing. I know 80 mg is the max dosage but I shouldnt have to be on the max dosage or go beyond it to get a desired effect. Oh, and I lost my sex drive on Prozac too! Grr!"

BipolarDude86 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2016

"My dr started me on 20mg once daily.After a few months with no improvement he raised it to 40mgs.After about 2 weeks at this dose the depression subsided some and also my anxiety as I found myself reaching for my Xanax less and less.However after about 5-6 months the depression and anxiety came back and my doctor told me raising the dose would do no good.So,that being said, if you need an anti-deppressant to get you through a rough patch in your life (divorce,holidays,death of a loved one) this seemed to work very well just after about 6 months I was right back where I started. *Another benefit is it's generic (Fluoxetine) in many stores is only $4 for a month supply.Ive seen some Anti-deppressants cost well over $100 for a month*"

sopranofan (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 1, 2016

"20mg for three months. No effect at all."

Chuck789 September 24, 2016

"Was on lexapro and didn't find it helpful . prozac seems to be doing very good."

Riply222 September 9, 2016

"I started on Prozac (fluoxetine) after the deaths of my sister and mother in the same year, 5 months apart and I started taking 10mg with Xanax but I still felt depressed. My doctor put me on 20 mg a day with 1/2 of a 1 mg Xanax and I feel a bit of relief, calmness, and no suicidal thoughts. I found that when I skip a day or two, I start crying a lot. Prozac works for me along with Xanax."

Eliseeya Marie August 27, 2016

"Excellent medication usually works great have no complaints when used for depression only."

Sweetgirlmeg (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 24, 2016

"I took my self to the hospital because my life was (and still is) falling apart. But after I took Prozac, I started the feel a bit better. But just as someone here mentioned, after I took it my mind felt empty, for example, since before I went to the hospital, thoughts of self hatred, self loathing and plenty of suicidal thoughts took up 90% of my brain each day. but since they were gone due to the medicine, my brain was unsure how to react. The worst thing in the world could have happened to me and I wouldn't do anything just smile. But it felt weird. But I did feel a strange sense of optimism while on the drug. I'm NEVER optimistic, always pessimistic. I stopped months ago. I think I'm going to the hospital soon anyway.. I feel it."

Vanessa0207 August 24, 2016

"Disclaimer: this is MY personal experience Started Prozac at age 19 after issues with Effexor and after a few months I felt on top of the world--the happiest I had ever been. This was short lived. After 6 or so months something inside me snapped. Sex drive=0. My conscious turned into someone that wasn't me. Never heard voices before but they became overwhelming/evil & I couldn't shake the suicidal thoughts. I ended up quitting cold turkey as I noticed myself double dosing, then triple dosing. My sex drive is still 0, I've gained a ton of weight, and have been dealing with severe depression without meds because I'm scared to take them again."

Agirlandhercats August 16, 2016

"I starting on Sertraline 3 years ago and felt that my body had got used to it and wasn't getting any effect after a year. My GP then put me on Fluoxetine 20mg. To start it took about 5-6 weeks to really begin to feel calmer and less sensitive to daily stresses and I had an amazing sleep but the effects began to wear off after a year. My GP then increased my dose to 60mg as I was going through a really stressful time at work and couldn't cope. Thankfully work has been better and I've changed my role but I've started to feel really depressed and have been having suicidal thoughts which I never used to have. I have really vivid dreams and I'm starting to get home from work, take the dog out, make dinner and once all my chores are done then I g"

Scottish1975 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 12, 2016

"26 y/o male no history of depression but some acute episodes (a few weeks back in high school). Began taking 10 mg prozac daily 3 weeks ago after struggling with major depressive disorder following job loss, relationship break-up and move back home with family. After 3 weeks have noticed marked improvement in mood and wellbeing. I would HIGHLY recommend to someone who can also engage in healthy diet, aerobic and anaerobic exercise, healthy social life and some engaging work. Thank you prozeezy!"

Overcome2016 (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2016

"Fluoxetine/prozac 20mg for depression/anxiety. Within 4 hours of taking it at 4pm I truely felt better by 8 pm and happier not sure it was the meds at first or believing it to be working?,had done a lot research before taking it positives and negatives so have an open mind about prozac,certainly felt better quickly after initail dose!. First 2 weeks slight headaches,bit spaced initially,groggy,dry mouth,difficult concentrate,but I did feel like this whilst depressed! Now 3rd week its kicked in after 2 weeks and I feel calmer relaxed able to think clearly not foggy mind feel focused happier motivated. This drug has dealt with anxiety&depression,100%,I was worrying everything,sleep is OK now,no sexual dysfunction yet!. Good luck."

Jack.... 60yrs old... uk. (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2016

"Having a history of family heath problems it was my time to develop one of my own, i was diagnosed with moderately severe depression and was placed on a moderate dose of Prozac. Weeks in i became extremely lethargic , my mood hadn't stabilized one bit, i presumed i would need a higher dose and that followed. Eventually the dosage had quadrupled and showing no improvement, i beg to view the world in a haze, nothing seemed real and i didn't recognize myself . I was incredibly suicidal. If you are not feeling this drug is effective do not continue using it, otherwise suicide is a very genuine threat. I have found Sertraline effective as opposed to this freakish medicine."

Send Help (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 21, 2016

"I have never had thoughts about suicide until I took Prozac. This was the absolute scariest experience of my life."

squirrellover (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2016

"Prozac was the worst for me. Wouldnt recommend it to anyone. I was using it for depression and anxiety and when i first started taking it i felt terrible, stayed on it for another 4 months or so till my psychiatrist (who did absolutely nothing for me, spent a total of 15 minutes with me in 3 appts.) uped my dose to 20mg, i started feeling really tired all the time, got headaches, felt sick, my head was ALWAYS foggy, couldnt remember much, drained me right out. So without my doctors word i stopped taking it and i still feel depressed and anxious but i feel much more alive and much better. Prozac didnt work for me at all."

Okayy123 July 14, 2016

"I've tried a few antidepressents. Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Remeron... I've been on Prozac for nearly three months. I was prescribed 20 mg a day for the first month and told the doctor I didn't notice anything. She still kept me on 20 mg a day for the second month. Still nothing, but drowsiness was a problem (gone now). I've been on 30 mg a day for the past three weeks, and in the past week or so, I think something about me is different. I rarely have the suicidal thoughts I did before (I still do though). I'm also normally really awkward, but now I feel natural when I say something, no shaky voice. Idk how to explain what I'm feeling. The past week I've been pretty nauseous though. I usually eat a LOT though so I don't mind it"

cuebalal (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2016

"After trying celexa (which helped my anxiety but not my depression) my doctor reccomended Prozac. I was in a very bad state at the time and was up for anything to make me feel better. After taking it for about 3 weeks I started having extreme suicidal thoughts everyday, which was very unlike me even with major depression. I told my doctor and she said she felt she was just under treating me and uped my does another 20mg. After another week I had to put myself into a hospital because I felt I had no control over the suicidal part of me. I have been off of Prozac for over 2, months now and have had little to no suicidal thoughts although my depression and anxiety has worsened from the experience I feel."

Briiiiiii July 8, 2016