User Reviews for Prozac

Prozac Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 220 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Prozac to treat Depression

"I've been 3 months on Prozac feel like zombie, not wanting get up in morning and not sleeping properly"

Deedee (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2018

"I lived life trying to fake it until I could make it. I lived like I was an extrovert but inside I felt like a worthless daughter, wife, mother and friend. I worked myself into a state of being physically ill & nearly died. When discovered that I subconsciously attempted a long term suicide, I woke up to complete chaos. I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder w/psychosis. I started Prozac & was so sick & tired the first 2weeks that I wanted to stop taking it but wasn’t allowed to. Prozac allowed me to accept my natural personality & create a healthy, happy and safe way to live. I would love to think I would be ok now without it but it isn’t worth the risk. I have such peace in my heart & mind. I did add a low dose of Wellbutrin after the first year for sexual side effects. No drug will fix everything and they all have side effects but this combo has worked for me and has given me the life I now know I deserve. Good luck!"

Marthan August 2, 2018

"I started Prozac for depression when I was 16 yrs old and I'm now 18 and a half, so I've been on it for around 2 years at this point. Any benefits this drug provided in terms of my mood were minimal. I started on 10mg, then 20mg, then 40mg. When the dose increased to 40mg my life became a foggy haze. I felt like a zombie, I had no emotions, I forgot what happiness or sadness actually felt like and felt so dark. Suicidal thoughts and life lost all meaning. I frequently put myself in dangerous situations, began smoking cigarettes, and nearly attempted suicide 2-3 times. Additionally, my sex drive is a thing of the past and maintaining a full erection during sex isn't possible. I am seeing my psychiatrist tomorrow and I will discontinue this med."

Jake (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 30, 2018

"I have been taking Prozac for almost 10 years. I feel it is no longer working for me and when I try to up the dose I get chest pains. Although it worked good for some time, I think I need a new antidepressant."

Snickers (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 26, 2018

"After over 2.5 yrs. of trying different antidepressants, I finally got to try Prozac and I feel like I've finally found something that works!"

Mia (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 2, 2018

"This medication has helped me so much with my happiness and mood, it has definitely levelled me out. BUT I am quite disappointed because my sex drive and libido has gone. I hate saying that I had trouble maintaining an erection during sex twice. I did notice and pay attention to my libido going down over time. Completely stopped masturbating. Never had this problem before. I do blame this medication. It’s a shame. 4 days off it so I will see how it goes and see whether my libido improves. Been on this drug for about 3 months"

Sam15 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 13, 2018

"I was on 10mg starting and it didn't help, so I went to 20mg and my life felt so on track, I gained 30 lbs, but with exercise daily I lost 15 and don't mind the way I look. I have bipolar II and It made my mania worse, but with the right mood stabilizer, I believe this antidepressant is a great. I switched to wellbutrin and I hate it, I am going back to Prozac today"

KADEZKO (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 23, 2018

"Horrible drug. It made me feel like zombie, and there is the side effect of risks of suicidal thoughts. Took it for a few months before the side effects started kicking in with a suicide attempt . After I woke up I realized that it was the drug. After stopped taking it I feel much better on another med."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2018

"I've taken prozac for 10 months initially at 20mg then 40mg. It has worked very poorly for my depression and anxiety. I have become so constantly anxious and unmotivated due to the medication and dependant on alcohol. I need to change to something else this has had no positive effects on me."

Jon April 27, 2018

"I was prescribed Prozac for my PTSD -- I have social phobias, panic disorder, anxiety, agoraphobia and depressive disorder. When I started on Prozac my symptoms weren't nearly as bad as they have come to be now. It made me incredibly depressed, I was nauseous all the time on it, I was losing weight and I was already underweight as is -- 5'7" and 115lbs. The first time I ate a full meal on it was Thanksgiving at a relative's house, the whole next day I spent violently vomiting and had terrible diarrhea at the same time. Prozac wouldn't allow me to keep anything down, and the constant nausea throughout the days was terrible. Wouldn't suggest for someone with a sensitive stomach... ALSO my psychiatrist said there shouldn't be any effects coming off, I could just stop it. I crashed majorly! Depression got terribly worse, and panic attacks were coming on pretty bad for a short period after!"

staceya97 (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2018

"Give this medication at least 3 months to fully work. I started at 20 mg and increased to 40 mg within a month in a half.I have to be honest, the side effects can be difficult but stay with it regardless because you’ll be thankful you did by the time you start feeling the benefits of this drug. A year ago is when I started Prozac and I’m so much happier today than I was from the start Give it time because nothing good happens over night. Good Luck to everyone."

CrazyTown813 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 15, 2018

"Believe it or not but as soon as I took my first pill of this amazing drug, I felt sudden improvement in my mood."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 14, 2018

"Been on Prozac for two weeks. Definitely works better for me over a period of time. Mood has significantly increased with a stabilising sense of well being. Been a lot happier. Everyone reacts differently, I recommend giving this a try. Best to stick with it for at least 2-3 weeks, Good luck! :) There is always hope"

Sam (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2018

"I've been on many medications for depression. Prozac makes me the most happy. I'm 18 years old. Prozac helps me a lot. But it might not help everyone. It might even change for me."

MRL (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 29, 2018

"I have had depression for a while, I have been in and out of therapy, and this is the first medication I have been given. I had taken it for about 2 weeks, and it made me feel worse, it gave me random energy spikes, and I was easily agitated. After I came off of the energy high, I was feeling worse then I had before I had taken it. Upon my more detailed research of the drug, I had found a few of my friends had taken it, and were up to 70mg, and it had helped them, but I couldn't seem to have the same effects. My aunt had taken the medication, and said that it helped her, but not as much as the therapy did. I feel like this is a drug that might work for a very few select of people."

Ani (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2018

"I used Prozac and nothing happened, my psychiatrist increased my dose but nothing happened so I was taken off."

Roxy (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2018

"Okay, so, I took this drug for about two years, it did NOTHING. It almost made my depression worse. I never wanted to leave the house, I didn't even want to play baseball, the sport I've loved since I was little. I had good grades before I stared taking this, it made my unfocused, shaky, and all around nervous. My grades plummeted. All in all, Do not take prozac."

AstrosFan117 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 21, 2018

"When do most people take there med I take 20 MG a day I just started my third week and wondering if all nervousness ,anxious anxiety will subside any help would be appreciated thanks . Gc"

Gc March 15, 2018

"I've taken prozac for 2 weeks now. So far I've experienced a big decrease in appetite, which has been okay. The two major things that this drug has changed for me is that it's made me calm and collected and it makes me worry/stress less. The thoughts and problems that usually fill in my head don't affect me as much anymore and I get over things much quicker, which has led to decreasing my stress and my severe anxiety. I've also felt very calm and mellow, which could turn some people off but for me it has been a blessing. I've always not been able to stay still or focus, and am very scatterbrained, so this is a huge change that I've welcomed. It has helped me actually get things done and focus, and has made me much more productive since I actually have the motivation to do things now. Thanks for reading, I wish all of you luck on Prozac! Will definitely continue taking this amazing drug and am excited to see how much more it can positively change my life in the future."

Meg (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2018

"Made my depression worse, I felt like I wasn’t able to enjoy life anymore and I became much lazier. Two weeks of using the medicine and I overdosed. This drug can be very dangerous since your messing with your brains chemicals eventually your brain will try to reach equilibrium and make your depression worse"

Chris (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2018

"It literally saved my life. I have been on antidepressants and mood stabilizers for about 25 years now. Up until about 8 years ago I was on setraline and depakote plus other mood stabilizers... nothing worked. I was horribly depressed, suicidal, and had gained so much weight. Then I had a breakdown . I was rushed to a doctors out of town and changed my meds. I was put on Prozac. I have been on it for about 8 years. You have to stick with it. It you stop it for what ever reason or miss more than a couple days doses then you will start feeling bad. It does help. I probably would not be here today if it was not for my doc and Prozac. Just give it time and stick to it. Do not give up. You have to give it time to kick in. A couple of days of side effects is not a reason to quit. Good luck."

Sox Girl (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 4, 2018

"2 years ago when I was 20 years old in college suffering from a terrible episode of depression I was prescribed my first antidepressant: Prozac. After 3 weeks I felt AMAZING. I was having sexual dysfunction so they added Wellbutrin. I felt great for almost 2 months until I had my first and only seizure. (Wellbutrin lowers the threshold for seizures). I discontinued Wellbutrin. I tried Prozac after the seizure and it had no positive effect like it did. In retrospective, I believe that the prozac induced a hypomania episode. I have never had a hypomanic episode before then or since."

VickyEE (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2018

"I’m 45 year old female, I had a very tough past. It has haunted me in the present, prevented me from being a whole person. Although I had made peace with myself on some levels, my head would spin, go to dark places, feelings of self loathing, inadequacies would take over. I am premenopausal now as well, which in itself is a struggle. I started the meds almost 8 weeks ago. I was at 10mg for 4 wks..very slight side effects, foggy mostly. I felt it was “scratching the surface” in terms of helping..I was increased to 20 and it is doing the job just fine. My concerns were weight gain and sexual dysfunction, of which I have neither. If I have put on a couple of pounds, it’s worth it, for the clarity in my head. I am very pleased, my only regret, is not starting it sooner.. Good Luck, I hope this helps."

Ak3973 February 14, 2018

"These reviews are pointless each drug affects each person differently. Writing a review on a drug is meaningless. What works for me might not work for you keep that in mind!!"

Melkp1980 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 6, 2018

"This medication didn't help me at all. It made me much worse and unstable."

depressedfaye (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2018