User Reviews for Prozac

Learn more about Prozac.

Prozac Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Prozac to treat Depression

"I was so depressed and I started this medicine without expecting that after 15 days I am like I've taken ecstasy. I am full of energy I don't hesitate to be myself! I love being my self actually! I'm not thinking anymore about cocaine, weed and stuff like that cause that was the main reason that I needed a doctor! THANK U PROZAC"

Andy pallas August 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Didn't do anything for me"

Shoemaker (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Some useful advice .-. TIMELINE Started 5mgs felt slightly high just a little more positive took 5 mgs for 9 days then had major crash lasted about 5 days + 2 days to level out Valium is very handy just hang in there it will pass & get better Day 13/14 started feeling much better now on 10 mgs @day 16 really good now. Initial day 9 crash as autoreceptors sense too much serotonin and move to regulate levels so they drop making you feel like the world is coming to an end once they desensitize things improve. Tips stay calm relax talk to people take Valium sleep eat carbs distract your thoughts walk if up to it. Do not read reviews will do your head in- too many depressed people+reviews= many negative useless reviews :-)"

camarchie (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had zero effect except impotence. This drug is over rated."

Ziggyman (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have limited history with psych meds & I haven only tried two other antidepressants (Zoloft and Remeron). Both were awful for me. Side effects outweighed any minimal benefit they may have had. But since taking Prozac, nearly two weeks ago, my mood has changed entirely. I take it in the morning and it gives me a sense of purpose and excitement to experience the day. Before, I was having panic attacks so bad before work I would consider calling in. Prozac has not had any negative SSRI side effects like I had with sertraline, but I am going to continue paying attention to how I feel over time on this. My anxiety is minimal and melatonin currently has me sleeping like a baby. I hope it never stops working for me. For now, this medicine is great."

Klee9983529443 June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Prozac for a month now. I was hesitant because I have tried antidepressants in the past and they did not agree with me. I am shocked at how I am feeling. I am calm. My social anxiety (that I thought was more of a personality trait) is gone. I feel compelled to take care of myself. I have energy. I am happy. Like many, I had a paralyzing fear of June bugs. I stupidly left my outside light on the other evening and came home to their swarm. I unlocked the door and even swatted one away from my ear and walked in the house. My heart rate didn't even increase. I am a whole new person."

courtsaloo June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The last medication I was on for depression completely numbed me out to the point where I had no emotions. With this medication, I am able to be happy and sad but it doesn’t work too well to keep away the suicidal thoughts. (I am on 20mg) I wish this medication was able to make me feel happier and not constantly be fighting between happy and sad."

Devy Grace June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"6 months ago, I was hospitalized. I had never been treated for my depression due to insurance and financial issues. During my 9 day stay at the hospital, they started me on 20mg of Prozac. By the time I left the hospital, I was at 40mg. The suicidal thoughts went away and I was able to feel moments of clarity. Although, I made some big life changes after being released from the hospital, the depression was still there. Sleep and isolation was still my life. Now that I have been on Prozac for 6 months, I look back and realize how far I have come. I am now taking 80 mg a day and I can finally break through the fog. For me, depression wasn't necessarily sadness, but an absence in vitality. Prozac has helped me regain it."

Ramakin May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Prozac last year for depression and OCD. The first three days taking it were hard for me. My depression worsened and I was having terrifying nightmares every night. I went back to my doctor, explained to him how I was feeling and I was immediately taken off and switched to something else. Everyone reacts differently to different medications, but make sure you tell your doctor if your depression worsens or you feel more anxious or have nightmares.. The nightmares every single night was what made my doctor know that Prozac wasn't for me.. Even if it's supposed to take 2-3 weeks, or however many, to kick in, make sure you tell your doctor you're not feeling well!! Let them decide what the best decision is for you. :)"

kyliebm May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is a great drug. I was on Paxil for about 5 years. It helped, but wore off. I switched to Prozac and had no side effects. My energy returned, I stopped over eating and napping. The 'fogginess' has cleared."

BeMaRe May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was surprised to feel lightly speedy my first dose as I heard the serotonin has to accumulate in the body. I had a major head injury in July 1998. I have memory and attention to details problem. Intellectually I'm fine. I notice my attention to detail has changed for the better. Naturally the memory problem caused by damage to the hippocampus is still there and might be somewhat ameliorated, but I am having that tested later this month to compare my score with older testing. Otherwise my impression might be subjective reflecting wishful thinking. I like this medication and hope it stays effective."

Anni_Mc April 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed 2-3 weeks ago...was so happy to finally have something I thought would help prescribed to me. I tried it for two days...felt my depression/scary scenarios get worse, so I stopped. Depression was still there but not as bad as it is when I am on the pill. I took it again to see if it will finally work this time...it's my 3rd day, still feeling worse but I'm trying to wait for it to work because I've read it works after 2-3 weeks. So I hope it helps... :/"

MissLR April 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Young male early 20s. I suffer from major depression as well as anxiety. I tried 20mg Prozac only because it supposedly gives people more energy. The first 1-2 weeks I experienced side effects such as extreme fatigue and increased anxiety. After 2-3 weeks I began to feel better, however, it worked until it seemed to stop after about a month. It still helped relieve my symptoms slightly, but I had returning feelings of fear, panic, negativity etc and never felt more energized. I stopped taking it and after 3 days immediately felt much better. I ended up switching back to 10mg Lexapro because it worked great for me. Prozac helped somewhat, but for those who struggle mostly with depression/anxiety, I'd try more selective SSRIs personally."

RainyDay423 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used prozac in the past for 3-9 months twice and had no side effects apart from some headache for a few weeks. Now I have been on it again for 3 weeks and this time I am suffering SEVERE side effects. Physical ones include heavy fogginess/head pressure, sleeplessness, muscle tension, blurred vision and loss of appetite and weight loss. Mentally I have also worsened. Anxiety is really high, especially in the mornings, feelings of hopelessness an inability to cope with life, suicidal thoughts (that I never really had before), inability to focus/read and feel motivated. Now at 3 weeks I have some moments in the afternoon of feeling calmer but it is rather unpleasant numbness. I hope it improves going forward, but it has been very tough."

lulondon (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a different person when I'm on this, and in a good way. It helps me keep stable. The first time I was on it, I got really sick and felt terrible. I tried it again on a lower dose and built my way up and now I'm doing well on it!"

deehee (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"after about 3 weeks on prozac, or as I like to call it CRAPZAC. I was more depressed than ever before. Before crapzac I had only considered suicide a few times, But after my 4th week I actually attempted it. Thankfully my sister found me and brought me to the hospital, where they asked if i had been on any medication, and ordered me to stop taking it. And I was trapped at the hospital in the psych ward for 9 days, having 2 sessions with the counsellor every day, strapped down to my bed for the first few days, and not allowed to use the bathroom for 2 days, this stuff made my life into a living hell. After being released, I have now started seeing a therapist and now I've been practicing yoga and meditation, with no meds, and I feel great"

sallygally (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It has really helped my depression. I used to cry a lot, not want to do anything. I'm much calmer about stressful things & less irritable. I thank God for this medication & the who started me on my meds!"

Jensue February 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Admittedly, when I started Prozac and up until I stopped taking it, I was not very honest with my therapist on my emotional state, so I never changed medication despite it's lack of effect on me. I was taking it to help with my depression and anxiety, and it didn't help with either. It didn't have any negative effects on me, but it didn't have any positive effects either. I had started at 10 mg, went up to 20 mg, and finally 40 mg. For each one, it seemed to help at first but wouldn't after around two weeks. Although it wasn't right for me, I know that it's been quite helpful to friends of mine and it wouldn't hurt to try it out yourself."

Anonnie (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was first put on wellbutrin at 300mg then 450mg but that kept me up and I really wasn't feeling much of a difference. The doctor added Prozac 20mg. For the first 3 days I could sleep. After that if feels like I'm coming off a caffeine high as I get very tired but I never experience a high in energy. I get hot flashes and sweat about 25-30mins after taking it but then it goes away. I yawn all the time. Another thing I've noticed since I've been on it was decreased sexual mood and ejaculation feels weird, just weird. I'm not emotionless but sadness, depression and anger seem to not be present. Decreased appetite and lost a little weight. No other side effects experience."

Nightowl83 (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It made my anxiety worse and caused me to have bad depression and bad diarrhea "

Anxiety.101 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm on week 6 of Prozac and it saved my life. I went through a semester of major life changes (engagement, graduation, moving across country, major weight gain from stress, living with fiancee's parents, and stopped being able to see my friends) which resulted in me becoming severely depressed. I've NEVER been depressed in my life I'm the most bubbly person ever. Well when I started to get into a deep black hole and also having suicidal ideation (never had before) I decided to go to the doctor. She started me on 10mg for 4 weeks and with some change (75% better) we decided to try 20mg for 100%. I'm only on week 6 of being on prozac all together and it saved my life, my relationship and my joy. PLEASE give it time. I'm praying for you all!"

Vicvac February 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For me, Prozac was unfortunately not so much of a success. I didn't feel worse but I didn't feel great either. I started taking it in Oct 2016 with a dose of 10 mg, then upped to 20mg and eventually to 40 mg. So really I changed doses 3 times in 3 months. (Which is probably not the best since you don't get to get use to the drug.) but anyways I wasn't feeling any better. Still felt down and very depressed. My psychiatrist has officially switched me to Venlafaxine (which I'm afraid of, since the reviews of that drugs aren't all positives). I have to say, while on the Prozac, sometimes I felt good but the majority of the time, I felt very depressed (not because of the drug). My side effects were fatigue and diarrhea."

jcl987 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Before I was on Prozac,I would just feel sad all the time..I had been feeling like crying alot,and just in this constant depressive state. One day,I went to the doctor's office..I broke down, almost cried and told the doctor what was going on. He was so understanding,and said he was gonna start me on an antidepressant. So after having been on Prozac 20mg going on my 2nd week, I feel so much better. I'm more positive ,I don't get into hardly any depressive modes anymore ,and it feels like I finally have my life back. Plus the doctor added in a daily dose of .05 mg of Ativan to help ease with the panic attacks. I feel so much calmer, happier, and I'm able to function better at work. The combination of Prozac and Ativan works wonders for me:)"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Prozac feels like poison being put in your body"

Joey36 (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been suffering from depression most of my life. I've been on Zoloft and Lexapro. I would change when one seemed to stop working so went to Prozac. BIG mistake. See the side effects? I had almost every one of them. Doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong till my wife showed them the side effects. Almost died Lost 25# in about 3 weeks. Will never go back to it but who knows it might work for you just didn't for me"

wcemt1605 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 10, 2017