User Reviews for Prozac

Learn more about Prozac.

Prozac Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 220 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Prozac to treat Depression

"I was first put on wellbutrin at 300mg then 450mg but that kept me up and I really wasn't feeling much of a difference. The doctor added Prozac 20mg. For the first 3 days I could sleep. After that if feels like I'm coming off a caffeine high as I get very tired but I never experience a high in energy. I get hot flashes and sweat about 25-30mins after taking it but then it goes away. I yawn all the time. Another thing I've noticed since I've been on it was decreased sexual mood and ejaculation feels weird, just weird. I'm not emotionless but sadness, depression and anger seem to not be present. Decreased appetite and lost a little weight. No other side effects experience."

Nightowl83 (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"It made my anxiety worse and caused me to have bad depression and bad diarrhea "

Anxiety.101 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 4, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I'm on week 6 of Prozac and it saved my life. I went through a semester of major life changes (engagement, graduation, moving across country, major weight gain from stress, living with fiancee's parents, and stopped being able to see my friends) which resulted in me becoming severely depressed. I've NEVER been depressed in my life I'm the most bubbly person ever. Well when I started to get into a deep black hole and also having suicidal ideation (never had before) I decided to go to the doctor. She started me on 10mg for 4 weeks and with some change (75% better) we decided to try 20mg for 100%. I'm only on week 6 of being on prozac all together and it saved my life, my relationship and my joy. PLEASE give it time. I'm praying for you all!"

Vicvac February 1, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"For me, Prozac was unfortunately not so much of a success. I didn't feel worse but I didn't feel great either. I started taking it in Oct 2016 with a dose of 10 mg, then upped to 20mg and eventually to 40 mg. So really I changed doses 3 times in 3 months. (Which is probably not the best since you don't get to get use to the drug.) but anyways I wasn't feeling any better. Still felt down and very depressed. My psychiatrist has officially switched me to Venlafaxine (which I'm afraid of, since the reviews of that drugs aren't all positives). I have to say, while on the Prozac, sometimes I felt good but the majority of the time, I felt very depressed (not because of the drug). My side effects were fatigue and diarrhea."

jcl987 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Before I was on Prozac,I would just feel sad all the time..I had been feeling like crying alot,and just in this constant depressive state. One day,I went to the doctor's office..I broke down, almost cried and told the doctor what was going on. He was so understanding,and said he was gonna start me on an antidepressant. So after having been on Prozac 20mg going on my 2nd week, I feel so much better. I'm more positive ,I don't get into hardly any depressive modes anymore ,and it feels like I finally have my life back. Plus the doctor added in a daily dose of .05 mg of Ativan to help ease with the panic attacks. I feel so much calmer, happier, and I'm able to function better at work. The combination of Prozac and Ativan works wonders for me:)"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Prozac feels like poison being put in your body"

Joey36 (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Been suffering from depression most of my life. I've been on Zoloft and Lexapro. I would change when one seemed to stop working so went to Prozac. BIG mistake. See the side effects? I had almost every one of them. Doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong till my wife showed them the side effects. Almost died Lost 25# in about 3 weeks. Will never go back to it but who knows it might work for you just didn't for me"

wcemt1605 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 10, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"This medication made me yawn frequently. After two months, I didn't notice any improvement in my mood but my jaw was killing me from yawning and clenching my teeth which I don't normally do. My friends and family also pointed out that I seemed more irritable and more likely to snap or be short tempered."

7nywh3r3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I started taking anti depressant after my grandchild died. He was 3 years old and it changed my world. I had so much anxiety over people and I was just so sad and angry all of the time. I stated celexa and I loved how it just shut off the bad. Eventually it was increased and I couldn't stay awake for anything. I got switched to prozac about a month ago. At first I felt very irritable but thats gotten better and now I feel better overall. No more trying to sleep all day and the crazy switch is still flipped to off"

Apmo (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2016

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I was on this medication for over 14 weeks and it made me into an unemotional zombie. My grandma literally passed away in front of me and I couldnt even shed a tear. It helped get me moving around more but, it wasnt really helping my depression. I wasnt happy at all and my anhedonia still persisted. Also, on top of all that Prozac made me lose my libido/sex drive even after I stopped taking it over 6 weeks ago. Im scared my libido/sex drive is never going to come back. This is why I only rated this drug a 1."

MixedBipolarDude16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"This is a great medicine. I switched to this after taking lexapro and having some difficult-to-manage side effects. I did not have any side effects at all on Prozac in the beginning. I have noticed that recently I have more of an appetite. I monitor what I eat so I haven't gained weight but it is more of a challenge. My sister is also on the same dose but has not had the hunger side effect."

ZisserZasserZooz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 2, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"At first it made me feel really sick constantly and have stomach aches but after 2 weeks it started to help me cope with my anxiety and depression waaay better. I wanna make it clear I wasnt looking for a cure when I started taking prozac, but just a way to better manage my feelings because I dont think I will ever be cured since Ive been chronically depressed my whole life. And it does really help me manage way better, I still have depressive episodes tho, but I dont break down crying easily or feel anxious all the time and I stopped disassociating."

Anaqueef (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 20, 2016

46 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Been on Prozac before and worked well. Left it too long before seeking help this time, never felt this bad, extreme anxiety, depression and feelings of doom and obsessive racing thoughts. First week in and making me worse, but this is to be expected I guess. Docs upped them to 30 mg so will see what happens. Cry all morning, wake early sweating and anxious, feel sick, lost a lot of weight. Want my life back"

Dizzydaisydoo (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"six years ago I almost lost my life from an abusive relationship. I am 24 years old now. Luckily I am a survivor of domestic violence. From that traumatic time in my life I have been severely depressed, anxious & have had thoughts of suicide. For the past six years I have been on & off depression medications. Some have worked but the effects were too extreme. I tried Effexor but didn't like it too much and the withdrawal was terrible. Then I tried to work things out without medication and was doing good for a while but became very depressed/gained weight and so decided to give medications a try again. Recently started on Prozac (10 mg) about a week ago so far the low dose is good for me. I am more positive, exercise daily & new diet."

PTSD gal November 2, 2016

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"This medication was awful. Despite only being 17 at the time so the doctor decided that I would be put on this medication for my depression I knew that there was a chance that this may cause my condition to deteriorate. I saw no improvements with the 10mg so my doctor increased this to 20mg. This is where it all went downhill. I developed full blown Panic disorder as I was having several panic attacks a day so I was unable to go to school. The medication increased my suicidal thoughts to the point where I was not sleeping at night due to constantly thinking of ways to kill myself. One day I nearly did attempt suicide so I had to be assessed by a Psychiatrist who put me on tranquilisers for a week then admitted me to a psychiatric unit."

India98 October 23, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I am a recovering opiate addict and alcoholic. I have been sober for five years and extremely grateful. However, I have been diagnosed several times by physicians as having depression. It got so bad about a month ago that I decided to try Prozac 20mg. I have been on Celexa in the past but it made feel disconnected. The Prozac took about three weeks to kick in but it is working wonderfully now for a few days. It is like a switch was flipped and I just feel normal and positive. I do have some of the usual side effects but they are bearable. Everyone is different for sure but I am very pleased with Prozac thus far. If you are trying this medicine, stick with it as it does take a while to have an effect. very grateful!"

Nigeloz October 21, 2016

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I've been depressed for most of my life but was raised to "tough it out". I am a recovering opioid addict so I am scared to take any medication at all. The last 3 years I've completely withdrawn from any social activities, relationships & have just been doing the bare minimum to get by. Recently my oldest son turned 18 & has severed ties with me. This took me to the lowest low I've ever been & made me suicidal. For the sake of my younger son, I chose to get help. I was put on 20mg of prozac & have been on it for 3 weeks. I wish I would have done this sooner. Through my recovery from opioids, I've learned that pills are not the answer so these combined with counseling is the solution I've needed for a long time. I hope this helps others."

TT79 (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2016

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I have been on several different SSRIs before and haven't seen much improvement. So far, this seems to be the only antidepressant that's worked for me and hasn't given me too many side effects. I was on Luvox, which wasn't helping at all for any of the multiple conditions it was prescribed to treat, and was switched to an equivalent dose of Prozac. Ever since starting it, I've had more energy and have been able to smile, laugh, and overall just feel like a normal person. For me, in combination with Seroquel, Adderall (for ADHD, but also gives what I take for depression a little boost), and Wellbutrin, this is a wonder drug. It still helps me get through every day after quite a few months on it. Couldn't say the same about other SSRIs."

Xelleld (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2016

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"My nurse practioner kept insisting I try Prozac along with Olanzapine for my severe bipolar depression because it was the gold standard (supposedly they work good together). So, I ended up taking Prozac all the way up to 60 mg for over 12 weeks (along with Carbamazepine, Olanzapine & now Saphris) and I only got a partial response to the medicine. It helped get me functioning again but I wasnt happy. I still didnt enjoy the things I loved doing. For example, I would try listening to music or play video games but it wouldnt do anything for me. The euphoria was kind of missing. I know 80 mg is the max dosage but I shouldnt have to be on the max dosage or go beyond it to get a desired effect. Oh, and I lost my sex drive on Prozac too! Grr!"

BipolarDude86 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"My dr started me on 20mg once daily.After a few months with no improvement he raised it to 40mgs.After about 2 weeks at this dose the depression subsided some and also my anxiety as I found myself reaching for my Xanax less and less.However after about 5-6 months the depression and anxiety came back and my doctor told me raising the dose would do no good.So,that being said, if you need an anti-deppressant to get you through a rough patch in your life (divorce,holidays,death of a loved one) this seemed to work very well just after about 6 months I was right back where I started. *Another benefit is it's generic (Fluoxetine) in many stores is only $4 for a month supply.Ive seen some Anti-deppressants cost well over $100 for a month*"

sopranofan (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 1, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"20mg for three months. No effect at all."

Chuck789 September 24, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Was on lexapro and didn't find it helpful . prozac seems to be doing very good."

Riply222 September 9, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I started on Prozac (fluoxetine) after the deaths of my sister and mother in the same year, 5 months apart and I started taking 10mg with Xanax but I still felt depressed. My doctor put me on 20 mg a day with 1/2 of a 1 mg Xanax and I feel a bit of relief, calmness, and no suicidal thoughts. I found that when I skip a day or two, I start crying a lot. Prozac works for me along with Xanax."

Eliseeya Marie August 27, 2016

50 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Excellent medication usually works great have no complaints when used for depression only."

Sweetgirlmeg (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 24, 2016

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I took my self to the hospital because my life was (and still is) falling apart. But after I took Prozac, I started the feel a bit better. But just as someone here mentioned, after I took it my mind felt empty, for example, since before I went to the hospital, thoughts of self hatred, self loathing and plenty of suicidal thoughts took up 90% of my brain each day. but since they were gone due to the medicine, my brain was unsure how to react. The worst thing in the world could have happened to me and I wouldn't do anything just smile. But it felt weird. But I did feel a strange sense of optimism while on the drug. I'm NEVER optimistic, always pessimistic. I stopped months ago. I think I'm going to the hospital soon anyway.. I feel it."

Vanessa0207 August 24, 2016