User Reviews for Prozac to treat Depression

Prozac Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 191 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Prozac

Rana · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 16, 2020

“At the first I feel ok but after 6months I gained 20 Kgs !!! And I quit Prozac after 6 months and it was the best decision but I cannot get rid of the weight I had gained it affects my metabolic rate so bad !!! Now I have depression of being fat ! Don’t use it”

KermitZo1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 2, 2020

“The first couple of weeks on Prozac went well, I felt happier than before. But after that it feels like the medication makes me more depressed than normal. Overall it’s an okay medication”

Marla · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 31, 2020

“This is great! I have been depressed since my divorce and have tried other antidepressants. This really works. Prozac even gives me energy in the morning! The only problem is that it gives me anxiety so maybe it’s good to get you out of the depression or maybe I need a lower dose.”

Anonymous April 7, 2020

“I take Prozac because I have stomach issues of nausea. I have been on 40 mg for sometime now. I really do remember having many side effects except that it made me tired. It is suppose to be a happy pill. I will go off of it for a week or two and I do not notice of my being unhappy or being happy when I go back on it. When I go off it because i am too lazy to get it filled, after about a week or two, i feel like i am coming down with the flu, i.e., body aches....even to my fingers, shoulders....all over. As far as making one tired, I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and need a lot of sleep and still feel like I need more. I just zonk out. So I did not notice any ill effects in taking this drug.”

Nickname · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 1, 2020

“I was told on Prozac I would start to feel better about my depression after 1 to 2 weeks. During the first and second week, I felt really good. But after the third week, I was worse than before I started Prozac. I started self harming, and my relationships (especially with my boyfriend and family) suffered”

Reba · Taken for less than 1 month February 28, 2020

“After just a week on this drug Prozac, I feel so much better! I've been able to get up out of bed and start living my life again. It's been SO good. Tons of energy, so much so that I had to take it in the morning. It's improved my appetite but I don't overeat. I'm so grateful for this drug! My side effects have been super minimal. I hope it continues working as well as it has! I came here to read the comments because it's working almost too well. Heh. I hope it holds out.”

GL · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 11, 2020

“This is a horrible drug..my advice is to keep your options open to others before this, let this be your last resort..”

don’t take · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 9, 2020

“Went on Prozac for anxiety. I horrible side effects, couldn’t eat I was so nauseous, headachy, tired. It wasn’t doing much for me so I missed a day or two, then would take one, and that was a big mistake. It completely sent me down hill. Out of absolutely no where I was crying every second of the day, having suicidal thoughts. It took 2 weeks to be somewhat back to normal but after that I never got any better. Prozac made me feel suicidal and gave me depression that I didn’t have before. 2 months off of it, I still feel the same. It seriously messed up my head. My brother took it and also became suicidal out of nowhere. DO NOT TAKE”

Clare · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 7, 2020

“I'm somewhat new to prozac. I've been on it for about 4 months, started at 10mg dose and it did nothing for me went to 20mg and it was exactly the same as 10mg, did nothing. I was recently moved up to 40mg dose and it's made me severely depressed and its brought back my anxiety but 10 times worse. I've recently started starving myself which I'm thinking I'm starting to get some sort of eating disorder. I'm also getting very bad self harm cravings (more than usual) I've acted on those cravings and I'm honestly thinking this is just mucking up my life more. ”

Naners · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 1, 2020

“I’ve been on Prozac for 5 months. Started with 20 MG, 40 MG, and currently on 60 MG. I’ve had severe anxiety and a depressive episode during my pregnancy. I had my son in December. I thought I would feel better once I wasn’t pregnant anymore. I still feel anxious, and depressed, but Prozac has caused me to feel numb. I can’t feel happiness or excitement. Still I get mini panic attacks, and everyday I feel like I am breathless. Physically I get nauseous, dizzy, and at times I feel weak. I want to get off the medication to see if I can feel normal again. It’s been months that I have been living in this nightmare the not sure If it’s the medication or just me. I want my life back.”

Uselessna · Taken for less than 1 month January 28, 2020

“Ok so I have depression and anxiety and every other mental illness you can think of. I just started using this drug Prozac. I don't know how to explain it. I feel great. But I also want to hurt myself. I feel less depressed but I still want to hurt myself. Sometimes I feel like I am superhuman and then going through a mania phase. I don't know if it is the drug or me.”

Ngu January 27, 2020

“Anyone gain weight from taking Prozac after long run? I dare not start Prozac after reading from internet that Prozac likely to gain weight after 6 months of taking it. Is it true? Can someone share their experience with me?”

Anon · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 22, 2020

“this drug was a game changer........ after 2 weeks , significant improvement in mood and general feeling of starting to get back up. By week 6 , back on form, back at work. 3 years I have been on it and don’t intend coming off it. Have stuck at 20mg and never felt as calm and content. Side effects, none , benefits a new life”

Nan January 22, 2020

“Had to quit after just a few days. First couple of days felt calm. I yawned a lot. Day three I stared to feel anxious and reclusive and by day four full on dark thoughts and manic behavior. This is not for me. No way”

Beardman8511 · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 6, 2020

“I’ve taken Prozac at different doses 40 mg, 30 mg and now 20 mg. It seems like it probably does something but overall I don’t think it’s very helpful. It could be me, I’ve never had an antidepressant that I thought worked and I’ve been on quite a few. I wouldn’t recommend but it seems to help a lot of others.”

.. January 6, 2020

“Was on this medication Prozac 20mg for anxiety and depression. But I was not happy when my psychiatrist told me that I needed medication. I thought that I just needed to see a psychologist and talk to but my psychiatrist told me that I needed both together I was upset about taking this medication but my psychiatrist calmed me down and told me how I will be able to be happier/calmer and deal with life problems better. I left the appointment much happier. Like I said the medication worked perfectly. I had no more anxiety attack less feeling of depression but now 40mg started last year. I am still on it Prozac has saved my life able to deal with life again I had a few side effects not to bad my I was monitored when at home, work appointment, college by family friends, doctors, teachers, tutors and psychologists because of the side effects. I love thing medication. I am calmer safer and happier don’t be afraid of medication doctors only give it to help you”

LWHITMER · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 5, 2020

“I've took this medication prozac for about 7 months. I had a little nausea, weight gain, sleeping more and felt like less energy but for once I was content and happy. I dealt with loss of a child and father of my kids at 22. I never sought out help or treatment until last year. I finally drew a line with my depression and anger. Felt like a crappy parent. This medication has had its side effects. My biggest notice was my sexual desire was 100% no longer. I had tried dating but had no desire to talk, touch or be intimate. When I was having sex was somewhat uncomfortable and had a hard time with lubrication. I also found it hard to climax. I read up and this is a side effect with fluoxetine. I didn't care though. For once I was happy and enjoyed my life. It is not for every one.”

Side affects · Taken for less than 1 month December 22, 2019

“I’ve been on generic Prozac for three weeks I take at bedtime my side effect symptoms are I am nauseous every morning, sweating very weak and tiredness seems not to let up. I think I’m going to stop as I can’t take the nausea every day and I can’t even drink coffee. I have zero appetite till later in the day. It makes me definitely feel worse than the health anxiety I have anyone else I literally feel miserable”

Jack · Taken for 10 years or more December 21, 2019

“My side effects of prozac are 1. All night dreams. At my age,72, I wake up at least four times to go to toilet, every time I wake up with a dream. 2.During the first years of using the drug the quick throw after intercourse was solved but not anymore after 65 years old. 3. Diminishing of appetite to having sex , once every 3-4 weeks. 4. Flue and colds are very little. Otherwise it is the happiness pill which I cannot stop after 32 years of using it.”

Anonymous December 10, 2019

“I have been on it for 5 weeks. Initially I did not feel so great and sleep went out the window. Overtime the meds started working and now I feel much better. Less anxious and depressed, more confident, sleep is still iffy but improving. Doc stated for me it may take 6 to 8 weeks and I ain't stopping.”

Anonymous November 26, 2019

“Hi I just started flouextine last thursday when should start feeling some relief been feeling very depressed and anxiousness. I feel like I'm all out balance mentally and emotionally;(”

Anon · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 25, 2019

“I'm an 18 year old girl who got diagnosed with depression and anxiety early this year. Started on Prozac in around July even though my mum wasn't too keen, I made my choice. Side effects were horrible let me tell you!! I was nauseous all day for a week and a half and ate a little to nothing - lost 4kgs. But after that, it was fine. And 3 months later I started feeling amazing, literally. Thinking about how depressed I was made me feel sick to my stomach, shows how much I have achieved happiness. I now don't feel so low, and it's a pretty good feeling. I do wish I had tried natural methods a bit more longer but I had no time to waste being depressed and so I don't regret taking it. It's helped me quite a lot, but hey it works different for everyone :)”

13Apples · Taken for 10 years or more November 20, 2019

“I was started on this medication at a very low dose in college...I suffer from depression & anxiety; after a few weeks the depression started to slowly go away-minimal side effects mainly less energy. I have been on and off it/trying other options since then & nothing has helped as much. Zoloft & Paxil did not have an impact. I stopped taking it after feeling better for a long time but my depression came back and was much worse, now finally getting it under control. I personally don't like taking any medicine but this one has helped me a great deal-the side effects (especially being really tired) at least for me went away after the first month. I hope if you are reading this, with medicine or not you are well and taking the best care of yourself possible =)”

Anon · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 7, 2019

“I'm on 80mg of prozac and it has been a lifesaver for me. I went off at one time but my depression and anxiety came back with a vengeance..I just started taking it again last week at the 80mg dose and I already am starting to feel like myself. The only side effect I don't like is the heartburn so you have to drink a big glass of water when you take it, otherwise you feel like your esophagus is on fire. I've had no other negative side effects. It also helped me quit smoking and my craving for sweets. I'm sticking to this med forever..”

Lko · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 28, 2019

“This has been the most effective antidepressant I've used. Have taken Lexapro for 2 years but going back to Prozac as Lexapro didn't do a whole lot. 20 mg is the best dose in general with Prozac, even though some people take more (with more side effects). I personally would never go above 30 mg, trust me on that one. Also, because it has a super long half-life it is easier to stop taking it.”