User Reviews for Prozac

Prozac Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 218 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Prozac to treat Depression

"Been on Prozac for two weeks. Definitely works better for me over a period of time. Mood has significantly increased with a stabilising sense of well being. Been a lot happier. Everyone reacts differently, I recommend giving this a try. Best to stick with it for at least 2-3 weeks, Good luck! :) There is always hope"

Sam (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2018

"I've been on many medications for depression. Prozac makes me the most happy. I'm 18 years old. Prozac helps me a lot. But it might not help everyone. It might even change for me."

MRL (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 29, 2018

"I have had depression for a while, I have been in and out of therapy, and this is the first medication I have been given. I had taken it for about 2 weeks, and it made me feel worse, it gave me random energy spikes, and I was easily agitated. After I came off of the energy high, I was feeling worse then I had before I had taken it. Upon my more detailed research of the drug, I had found a few of my friends had taken it, and were up to 70mg, and it had helped them, but I couldn't seem to have the same effects. My aunt had taken the medication, and said that it helped her, but not as much as the therapy did. I feel like this is a drug that might work for a very few select of people."

Ani (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2018

"I used Prozac and nothing happened, my psychiatrist increased my dose but nothing happened so I was taken off."

Roxy (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2018

"Okay, so, I took this drug for about two years, it did NOTHING. It almost made my depression worse. I never wanted to leave the house, I didn't even want to play baseball, the sport I've loved since I was little. I had good grades before I stared taking this, it made my unfocused, shaky, and all around nervous. My grades plummeted. All in all, Do not take prozac."

AstrosFan117 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 21, 2018

"When do most people take there med I take 20 MG a day I just started my third week and wondering if all nervousness ,anxious anxiety will subside any help would be appreciated thanks . Gc"

Gc March 15, 2018

"I've taken prozac for 2 weeks now. So far I've experienced a big decrease in appetite, which has been okay. The two major things that this drug has changed for me is that it's made me calm and collected and it makes me worry/stress less. The thoughts and problems that usually fill in my head don't affect me as much anymore and I get over things much quicker, which has led to decreasing my stress and my severe anxiety. I've also felt very calm and mellow, which could turn some people off but for me it has been a blessing. I've always not been able to stay still or focus, and am very scatterbrained, so this is a huge change that I've welcomed. It has helped me actually get things done and focus, and has made me much more productive since I actually have the motivation to do things now. Thanks for reading, I wish all of you luck on Prozac! Will definitely continue taking this amazing drug and am excited to see how much more it can positively change my life in the future."

Meg (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2018

"Made my depression worse, I felt like I wasn’t able to enjoy life anymore and I became much lazier. Two weeks of using the medicine and I overdosed. This drug can be very dangerous since your messing with your brains chemicals eventually your brain will try to reach equilibrium and make your depression worse"

Chris (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2018

"It literally saved my life. I have been on antidepressants and mood stabilizers for about 25 years now. Up until about 8 years ago I was on setraline and depakote plus other mood stabilizers... nothing worked. I was horribly depressed, suicidal, and had gained so much weight. Then I had a breakdown . I was rushed to a doctors out of town and changed my meds. I was put on Prozac. I have been on it for about 8 years. You have to stick with it. It you stop it for what ever reason or miss more than a couple days doses then you will start feeling bad. It does help. I probably would not be here today if it was not for my doc and Prozac. Just give it time and stick to it. Do not give up. You have to give it time to kick in. A couple of days of side effects is not a reason to quit. Good luck."

Sox Girl (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 4, 2018

"2 years ago when I was 20 years old in college suffering from a terrible episode of depression I was prescribed my first antidepressant: Prozac. After 3 weeks I felt AMAZING. I was having sexual dysfunction so they added Wellbutrin. I felt great for almost 2 months until I had my first and only seizure. (Wellbutrin lowers the threshold for seizures). I discontinued Wellbutrin. I tried Prozac after the seizure and it had no positive effect like it did. In retrospective, I believe that the prozac induced a hypomania episode. I have never had a hypomanic episode before then or since."

VickyEE (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2018

"I’m 45 year old female, I had a very tough past. It has haunted me in the present, prevented me from being a whole person. Although I had made peace with myself on some levels, my head would spin, go to dark places, feelings of self loathing, inadequacies would take over. I am premenopausal now as well, which in itself is a struggle. I started the meds almost 8 weeks ago. I was at 10mg for 4 wks..very slight side effects, foggy mostly. I felt it was “scratching the surface” in terms of helping..I was increased to 20 and it is doing the job just fine. My concerns were weight gain and sexual dysfunction, of which I have neither. If I have put on a couple of pounds, it’s worth it, for the clarity in my head. I am very pleased, my only regret, is not starting it sooner.. Good Luck, I hope this helps."

Ak3973 February 14, 2018

"These reviews are pointless each drug affects each person differently. Writing a review on a drug is meaningless. What works for me might not work for you keep that in mind!!"

Melkp1980 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 6, 2018

"This medication didn't help me at all. It made me much worse and unstable."

depressedfaye (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2018

"This is my first time taking any SSRI and I am legitimately happy for the first time in years. I had results in the 1st few days which went away after the first week, then took nearly 10 weeks until I felt results again so there was a long time where I felt like it wouldn't work. I had Serotonin Syndrome symptoms (tremors, large pupils, sweating, etc) so had to take a break for 1-2days, twice over weeks 1-8. Around week 10 on 20mg I started feeling great then by week 12 I started having migraines. My dr told me to stop taking it for a few days and when I didn't take it I felt great again. Once it builds up in the body to the level you need it works but beware of taking too high a dose after 3 months. I'm now on 10mg & it works like 20mg did when it kicked in. Hang in there and if you're having issues take a break or a day or two or lower your dose because even slight Serotonin Syndrome can block results."

Chi_Ada (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2018

"I haven’t taken it in a year or so but I had no side effects from it. Just starting again"

Kayscr (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2018

"Hello all. I struggled with depression and anxiety for 5 years. I thought I was getting out of it but had a violent resurgence a few months ago. I had severe depression, worry, fear, irrational thoughts, doubts, and loss of interest in things I LOVED, like hunting and fishing. Started Prozac on 10 mg, then up to 20 mg. At about 5 weeks I finally started to feel some relief. Doctor switched me to taking the 20 mg twice daily, morning and evening. I am feeling better by the day. Easier to refute the abnormal thoughts and doubts, and I’m slowly regaining interest in my pastimes. Excited to see what happens in the coming weeks. Be patient with it, this stuff really does work for a lot of people!"

Caleb Hughes (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2018

"This medicine does wonders. I am a 27 year old male who suffered from severe cyclical depression. This drug, (also known as fluoxetine when I get it cheaper), did wonders for my outlook and disposition of the world. It feels as if a solid barrier has been thrown up in my mind against things which would otherwise stress me out or cause depression. It also has a profound stabilizing effect in general on mood, thoughts, and feelings. I am deeply thankful for this drug. I would suggest trying it if you are reading this and suffer from these conditions."

Nephi November 14, 2017

"I have been taking prozac for the past 7 weeks. I have always been a worrier but it got a lot worse during 2nd semester of my first year in medical school. Despite my anxiety and depression I was always a straight A student. I had great study skills and I had great concentration. But I started fearing studying and going to classes because it usually triggers my anxiety. So I just stopped doing school work and I just slept. My parents stated getting worried and they took me to see a psychiatrist. He put me on prozac (20mg). Prozac really helped me at first. I watched movies and spent a lot of time with my siblings but my academic performance was bad. Since then it has gotten worse. Should I just withdraw? Should I give up my dream?"

tutusha November 12, 2017

"I was going through a very deep and dark depression for several months. Prozac was the very anti-depressant to work for me. After about 2 weeks, I could tell the medication was really working. I wasn't having constant OCD related circling thoughts that made my depression worse and I wasn't on the verge of crying every second. This pill is a MIRACLE for me. No side effects, maybe weight gain but I'm also eating again when before I was barely eating and dropped 10 lbs. Definitely take the medication at night because it'll make you tired if you take it in the morning."

Ash 1989 October 2, 2017

"I was so depressed and I started this medicine without expecting that after 15 days I am like I've taken ecstasy. I am full of energy I don't hesitate to be myself! I love being my self actually! I'm not thinking anymore about cocaine, weed and stuff like that cause that was the main reason that I needed a doctor! THANK U PROZAC"

Andy pallas August 20, 2017

"Didn't do anything for me"

Shoemaker (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 14, 2017

"Some useful advice .-. TIMELINE Started 5mgs felt slightly high just a little more positive took 5 mgs for 9 days then had major crash lasted about 5 days + 2 days to level out Valium is very handy just hang in there it will pass & get better Day 13/14 started feeling much better now on 10 mgs @day 16 really good now. Initial day 9 crash as autoreceptors sense too much serotonin and move to regulate levels so they drop making you feel like the world is coming to an end once they desensitize things improve. Tips stay calm relax talk to people take Valium sleep eat carbs distract your thoughts walk if up to it. Do not read reviews will do your head in- too many depressed people+reviews= many negative useless reviews :-)"

camarchie (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2017

"Had zero effect except impotence. This drug is over rated."

Ziggyman (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 9, 2017

"I have limited history with psych meds & I haven only tried two other antidepressants (Zoloft and Remeron). Both were awful for me. Side effects outweighed any minimal benefit they may have had. But since taking Prozac, nearly two weeks ago, my mood has changed entirely. I take it in the morning and it gives me a sense of purpose and excitement to experience the day. Before, I was having panic attacks so bad before work I would consider calling in. Prozac has not had any negative SSRI side effects like I had with sertraline, but I am going to continue paying attention to how I feel over time on this. My anxiety is minimal and melatonin currently has me sleeping like a baby. I hope it never stops working for me. For now, this medicine is great."

Klee9983529443 June 23, 2017

"I have been on Prozac for a month now. I was hesitant because I have tried antidepressants in the past and they did not agree with me. I am shocked at how I am feeling. I am calm. My social anxiety (that I thought was more of a personality trait) is gone. I feel compelled to take care of myself. I have energy. I am happy. Like many, I had a paralyzing fear of June bugs. I stupidly left my outside light on the other evening and came home to their swarm. I unlocked the door and even swatted one away from my ear and walked in the house. My heart rate didn't even increase. I am a whole new person."

courtsaloo June 22, 2017