User Reviews for Prozac to treat Depression

Prozac has an average rating of 7.0 out of 10 from a total of 374 ratings for the treatment of Depression. 62% of those users who reviewed Prozac reported a positive effect, while 20% reported a negative effect.

Prozac Rating Summary

7.0/10 average rating

Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Prozac

Dawn · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 1, 2021

“I am 34 and I have experienced severe anxiety and depression since I was about 12 years old. I started off with Prozac 10mg for the first 6 weeks and then went up to 20mg. I've been on it for a little over 2 months now and I feel amazing. I'm sleeping better, not emotional eating. I'm happier, I haven't cried except tears of joy bc of how ALIVE I finally feel again. I feel like for the longest time I've been in this dark hole just seeing the sun occasionally but now I can feel the warmth of the sun kissing my skin. I smile when I see the sun. I smile when I feel the rain or a breeze. The little things that matter most. I feel everything again. I'm also doing things I use to love, that I eventually stopped doing when I was in my dark place. My kids are happy to have their mom back! I highly recommend this. Prozac saved my life”

Lila · Taken for less than 1 month March 28, 2021

“Day 2 :headache, face sinus pressure, stuffy rite nose, diarrhea. These symptoms each passed in about 7 hours Day 3: runny nose, hot red puffy achey cheeks, racing heart (as in I felt like I had drank an espresso - not scary) headache back head/skull...these each only lasted 4 hours Day 4: was yawning like crazy...like literally every 3 minutes. It was funny and annoying. Lasted 3 hours. Was super irritable then for about 3 hours. I feel depressed and tired still but at same time I got up and did housework and enjoyed it. I NEVER do this. Like I was organizing stuff and being all efficient. It's been YEARS since I was like that. It's too soon for this stuff to work isn't it? It's not placebo affect because I did not think it would help me. I'm not grasping at straws. I had no expectation of positive outcome so it's bizarre...in good way”

Chan · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 22, 2021

“I went on prozac around 10 years ago, then left it when I thought I was better, then came back to it. Now I am on 80 mg, and I feel so much better. Life renewed, joy renewed. I still get kind of moody in the evening hours due to lack of light. But overall, my sense of wellbeing has returned.”

READTHISPLEASE August 20, 2020

“Even though I always said I was never going to post anything on this webpages because I was "not depressive", I kinda feel that I have to give back and I really really hope that someone gets to read this and gives a try not to the pill itself, but to your own person and finally start living and not just surviving. It's not such big deal I promise, diabetics get insulin from other sources outside the body, it is kinda the same for you, you just need a little more of your serotonin an voila. My only regret is having wasted and missed on so many things because of my pride against anti depressants and self-pity attitude . Hang in there, you got this. > ONE YEAR AGO I WAS YOU READING THIS COMMENTS THINKING IT WOULD NEVER GET BETTER. WELL IT GOT PRETTY DAMN BETTER. (: God bless whoever is reading this.”

Anon · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 22, 2020

“this drug was a game changer........ after 2 weeks , significant improvement in mood and general feeling of starting to get back up. By week 6 , back on form, back at work. 3 years I have been on it and don’t intend coming off it. Have stuck at 20mg and never felt as calm and content. Side effects, none , benefits a new life”

OCD December 31, 2020

“Man, what I journey I went on with medicines before Prozac :/ . Before I was on Seroquel XR & that was terrible bc that made me feel so strange all the time. I finally got off of that & tried Prozac because I’ve always dealt with OCD & Intrusive thoughts. I cannot express how true every review is about the first couple weeks, 3-4 you won’t feel anything really, honesty my anxiety was a little stronger, but trust me when I tell you it is all well worth it. I honestly feel amazing now, I can just think better & more clearly & now I understand my intrusive thoughts are only thoughts, they aren’t my actions. Man I used to fight with my thoughts all the time & ask why did I think that, why did I think this, now I understand so much more about myself & who I am & who I want to be. I was running out of hope bc I just couldn’t shake my OCD tendencies & intrusive thoughts, but just give the medication time to work, your body is adjusting to it.”

Zee · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 8, 2020

“I've suffered with mental health issues since I was a teenager and I am now nearly 30. I've tried different medications such as sertraline and venlafaxine and couldn't stand the side effects and gave up. This medication Prozac has been so helpful. Apart from yawning I've had no other side effects. More energy, more productive, calmer and a little more confident. I've only been on it a month and after the first week I felt so much better. Hoping it will stay like this! Bpd traits, anxiety, depression”

Reba · Taken for less than 1 month February 28, 2020

“After just a week on this drug Prozac, I feel so much better! I've been able to get up out of bed and start living my life again. It's been SO good. Tons of energy, so much so that I had to take it in the morning. It's improved my appetite but I don't overeat. I'm so grateful for this drug! My side effects have been super minimal. I hope it continues working as well as it has! I came here to read the comments because it's working almost too well. Heh. I hope it holds out.”

Lanners August 28, 2020

“I’ve only been on Prozac for two months. In that period of time I have made a drastic increase in my mood, my ability to deal with daily stresses, and my ability to cope with my long-standing trauma. I was on Prozac originally when I was in high school, and due to my mother wanting me to stop by I stopped in high school. After being on Zoloft for a few months, more like close to a year, I wasn’t feeling anything. After not being on any medicine for a while, I’ve reached out to my primary care and told them Prozac was what worked for me in the past. I have been on Prozac since then and I have nothing but positive things to say. I am 24, semi underweight. I am also dealing with a lot of parental trauma, and a great deal of issues with my work and parents. I am unsure if that last part is helping anybody but I want to be as far as possible”

Ben · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 12, 2019

“This medication is great for people who worry excessively. It softens the blows in life. I am thankful that this medicine is available to treat depression and anxiety. I have taken 40 mg per day for years. I remember what my life was like before this drug was prescribed to me. I am much better now. If you are reluctant to try this drug, please know that it has helped many people. I hope you are one of them.”

Kim July 7, 2019

“I’m 30 & was battling clinical depression. I was initially prescribed 10 mg of Prozac 2 months ago. The first day I took it was almost like I’d taken a sleeping pill. I FINALLY could sleep, but it didn’t make me “sleepy”. I actually had way more energy. My anxiety slowly stopped. I slowly had happier thoughts. After a month my dosage was increased to 20 mg and the first week of that I actually started feeling a little depressed again, but after a week and a half my mood elevated. I started getting involved in activities again. I started hanging out with my family and friends again. I make an effort to do my hair & makeup, work out, work on goals... I’m back to me. I’m truly happy. Prozac saved my life... for real. I feel a part of this world again when at one point in time I didn’t want to be a part of this world. It works, it just takes time. You will feel like nothing is happening for a while, but one day you’ll just be happy and you’ll actually notice it.”

Aj · Taken for less than 1 month October 4, 2020

“Just started Prozac 20mg 2 weeks ago, I was not sleeping, not eating, crying at almost everything, little things would make me go off. Now that I’ve on it for 2 weeks my sleeping has improved, I’m eating more and leaving the house with my husband now. Although I am still irritable I feel it is getting better. The only thing I noticed is you cannot drink at all with this drug or you get yourself in this weird funk that’s hard to get out I spent 3 days in bed after a few drinks with my friends.. my fault though you really shouldn’t be drinking on any medications. Won’t be doing that again. Excited to see if Prozac can help me get to the gym again and start doing the things I enjoy.”

Gwenn · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 9, 2019

“I feared going on anti-depressants for years. Like 20 years. I did not want to be someone who had to take a pill every day. Finally, I gave in after having a break-down and I wish I could talk to the 35 year old me and say hey, dummy, you will feel like yourself again so just hush and take it! I have had an incredible experience with this drug. I've been on it for four months and feel like the Gwenn I was years ago. If you are stopping yourself from trying this medication for similar reasons, I hope you will reconsider. Initially, it was difficult as my body adjusted to the medication but I expected that as my doctor told me the first few weeks can be challenging. I almost gave up but something deep inside me told me to push through. After 3 weeks, I really felt the benefits and now that my body is used to it, I am myself again. I highly recommend.”

Helpyouandme May 10, 2019

“I’ve suffered from depression since a teen and now in my 30’s. I’ve taken Prozac a couple of times with success, the problem being as soon as I feel good again I feel like maybe I wasn’t bad off to begin with and stop I would think I was in a good spot. Decent marriage, good kids, great job-and I couldn’t understand why I couldn’t be happy and grateful. I got to the point where I had no feelings and wanted to hurt myself. Outside of reading-inspiring books and literally peeling myself from the bed in the darkest of moments, Prozac really helped me. It took weeks, very painful weeks. Once it kicked it I became interested in my life again. I’m in a good spot right now and I believe it’s because I listened to other success stories and kicked myself out of bed everyday regardless of how much I wanted to crawl under my covers. And I decided to take medication that did not work instantly, but eventually. I hope this helps someone to make their life better like I did.”

constance2267 · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 26, 2014

“I can't say enough about how much this medicine has helped me with depression. I spent years in and out of deep depression. I was finally diagnosed with depression and post traumatic stress disorder and started Prozac at 20 mg then went up to 40mg. I knew it was helping but I didn't fully realize how much until I forgot to take it for about 5 days. Then I started to feel the hopeless feeling I get with depression and I haven't missed a dose since. I'm one of the lucky ones with no negative side effects. My libido is better than ever and I've actually lost a few pounds. I sleep great and wake up every morning feeling rested and more positive about life than I ever have before.”

Anon · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 25, 2019

“I'm an 18 year old girl who got diagnosed with depression and anxiety early this year. Started on Prozac in around July even though my mum wasn't too keen, I made my choice. Side effects were horrible let me tell you!! I was nauseous all day for a week and a half and ate a little to nothing - lost 4kgs. But after that, it was fine. And 3 months later I started feeling amazing, literally. Thinking about how depressed I was made me feel sick to my stomach, shows how much I have achieved happiness. I now don't feel so low, and it's a pretty good feeling. I do wish I had tried natural methods a bit more longer but I had no time to waste being depressed and so I don't regret taking it. It's helped me quite a lot, but hey it works different for everyone :)”

Gina · Taken for less than 1 month September 17, 2019

“My 16 year old daughter became extremely anxious over the summer. She received counseling and continued getting more anxious and depressed and then she didn’t want to live anymore. This was a complete change from her normal positive and active life. She was prescribed Lexapro which at first we thought was helping her anxiety. After a couple weeks it made her extremely depressed and incredibly sleepy. Her psychiatrist changed her medication to 40 mg of Prozac and within 5 days, we saw a huge change in her mood. She’s got energy and is active once again. She feels happy and is talkative and zany like she used to be. We still have a long way to go with therapy and dealing with life’s anxiety but she is now able to function and has hope. I want to encourage anyone who feels defeated. Hold on, be patient and keep trying different medications. Also, we were looking into TMS therapy which is another encouraging therapy to help mental illness.”

Jen · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 18, 2019

“I avoided going on medication for far too long and now that I've been on Prozac for 8 weeks, I am amazed at the wonderful changes it has brought to my life. My depression is pretty much gone and I feel so much more even-keeled. So thankful I finally chose better living through chemistry. I'm 57 - should have done this 25 years ago. :)”

Liam July 15, 2019

“After a few months on Prozac, I no longer the depressed version of myself that I was before Prozac. Happiness was something I rarely felt, and now feel daily - and I was never excited by anything ever, and now am so positive and excited for my future plans and goals! I do feel almost ‘cured’ of major depression. The first couple of weeks were a struggle, and I did feel worse before I felt better - I felt more dark and depressed than I ever have - so it’s very important you have a plan in place if this does happen, a friend/counsellor/doctor you can talk to for example. I then felt very numbed out and had very low libido, which lasted a couple weeks but did also stop for me. My libido is still less than it used to be now, but for me it’s not an issue as I was annoyed with how high it was before. Side-effects included, Prozac has been life-changing for me and I am now excited to move country and start a new job, something I was absolutely terrified about before. I wish I’d tried it years ago!”

13Apples · Taken for 10 years or more November 20, 2019

“I was started on this medication at a very low dose in college...I suffer from depression & anxiety; after a few weeks the depression started to slowly go away-minimal side effects mainly less energy. I have been on and off it/trying other options since then & nothing has helped as much. Zoloft & Paxil did not have an impact. I stopped taking it after feeling better for a long time but my depression came back and was much worse, now finally getting it under control. I personally don't like taking any medicine but this one has helped me a great deal-the side effects (especially being really tired) at least for me went away after the first month. I hope if you are reading this, with medicine or not you are well and taking the best care of yourself possible =)”

Anon · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 7, 2019

“I'm on 80mg of prozac and it has been a lifesaver for me. I went off at one time but my depression and anxiety came back with a vengeance..I just started taking it again last week at the 80mg dose and I already am starting to feel like myself. The only side effect I don't like is the heartburn so you have to drink a big glass of water when you take it, otherwise you feel like your esophagus is on fire. I've had no other negative side effects. It also helped me quit smoking and my craving for sweets. I'm sticking to this med forever..”

Ngu January 27, 2020

“Anyone gain weight from taking Prozac after long run? I dare not start Prozac after reading from internet that Prozac likely to gain weight after 6 months of taking it. Is it true? Can someone share their experience with me?”

assleigh · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 4, 2015

“Incredible. To think a simple pill would be so life changing. 21 year old married mother of two , I've been struggling with depression and anxiety, especially social anxiety my entire life. I was at the end of my rope, starting to think depression wasn't even a real thing, it was just normal to feel like shit. Literally the first day I felt okay. A month later here I am exercising everyday in my spotless house and playing with my kids. No more emotional eating I've lost fifteen freaking pounds I have the energy and focus to do EVERYTHING. I only wish I would have tried it sooner. I thought it would make me feel like a numb robot but I still feel like me, just a better me. Really looking forward to my future on Prozac.”

Vicvac February 1, 2017

“I'm on week 6 of Prozac and it saved my life. I went through a semester of major life changes (engagement, graduation, moving across country, major weight gain from stress, living with fiancee's parents, and stopped being able to see my friends) which resulted in me becoming severely depressed. I've NEVER been depressed in my life I'm the most bubbly person ever. Well when I started to get into a deep black hole and also having suicidal ideation (never had before) I decided to go to the doctor. She started me on 10mg for 4 weeks and with some change (75% better) we decided to try 20mg for 100%. I'm only on week 6 of being on prozac all together and it saved my life, my relationship and my joy. PLEASE give it time. I'm praying for you all!”

Sum1234 January 26, 2021

“I have been on fluoxetine a week now for Bipolar and Boderline Personality disorder. I was prescribed 20mg. I took my first 20mg pill in the morning and that entire day I felt awful. I was so exhausted, felt "high", couldn't think, felt sedated and my anxiety was through the roof. The next day I decided to reduce my dosage in half. I split the pill and took just 10mg that morning. I felt so much better. I had energy throughout the day without overwhelming tiredness or sedation. I have been taking 10mg since then and continously feel better and better. I was extremely scared of starting a medication like this but I do not regret it now. I have started feeling real things again. I'm feeling emotions instead of mimicking them when I am suppose to. I have snapped a lot less. I am much calmer and a lot more patient. I have more energy. I just expect to keep getting better from here! Highly recommend 10mg if you are struggling with the 20mg (especially if you have any sort of anxiety/panic issues).”

Chuck · Taken for less than 1 month August 7, 2019

“35 y/o black man with generalized anxiety and depression. On Prozac I definitely feel weak tired but not so much of lucid dreams and never had a problem falling asleep. I've noticed my self smiling more willing to to out with family and also I'm thinking differently about my life and who I am. 2 weeks into meds.”

Godisgood · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 23, 2019

“So i have had to take this medicine on and off for some time. It has worked in making me feel safe and able to enjoy doing things again. The longest I have been on it is 3 months. My advice would be to stay on it for longer than 6 months to see the fool effects but if you feel healed then consider stopping it just so you are not dependent on a pill. Every depression episode is different it may work faster sometimes it may also make you feel worse at first, you may get headaches, feel sick from your stomach. Sometimes we tend to be stubborn and stop taking the medicine making us go through suffering again. My advice is take it change your thoughts into positive ones and try as best as you can to stop overthinking instead enjoy everyday life. God bless you all.”

Mc September 24, 2020

“Absolute rubbish. Caused uncontrollable massive weight gain just like the atypical antipsychotics do (129 to 185 in 3 months!!! Eating same diet. Robot emotions. Hair loss. And suddenly...good old diabetes 2. I want to sue. Dr said I would not gain and probably lose weight. This was in 1995.akk those rapidly created fat cells created to stuff this poison in are still hanging on in 2020 to this toxic drug. Think twice.”