User Reviews for Prozac

Learn more about Prozac.

Prozac Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Prozac to treat Anxiety and Stress

"I was prescribed 10mg fluoxetine for mild depression, mood swings, and anxiety due to menopause. ( Can not take HRT) The third day started to experience terrible diarrhea for two days. About the fifth day it was absolutely the worst crying I have ever felt. The feelings of despair where overwhelming. Needless to say I contacted my doctor and will not continue taking. Hope it works better for someone else trying it."

Juleen (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking prozac in April of 2016 for anxiety and depression. It took about a month to actually start working. I feel better going into public and don't freak out and go into the bathroom. I'm still depressed but its improved so much. It gave me side effects like lose of appetite. I lost 10 pounds my first month taking it and I was always tired but had trouble falling asleep. Another negative is if I miss it a day I have painful headaches and lash out on everyone and treat them terrible."

bug. (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So I have always suffered from anxiety and I went to therapy for a while and my therapist suggested seeing a mental health nurse practitioner who can maybe set me up with something. She referred me to the doctor who prescribed me Prozac and it's been working great! I've been on it for about a month now. The first two weeks were a little rough, I was feeling more depressed and experienced a loss of appetite and even threw up a couple of times (though I'm not sure if that was the medicine or if I caught a stomach bug). However at about the 3rd week I started feeling great! I was much happier and more engaged at work. I've been feeling so good I'm starting to think I may have had depression. My only complaint is my sex drive is totally gone"

Anon2345 June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So I'm on 20mg taken in the morning. To treat PTSD and OCD intrusive thoughts. I'm on 20mg taken in the morning. I'm on my 11th day. Today I woke up feeling extremely anxious. Border of a panic attack so I took half of a 0.5 lorazepam to take the edge off. I do notice that at times my intrusive thoughts and normal ones just race going back and forth. But physically I am calm. I'm not breaking down as easily which I have noticed improvement. This is why I'm hanging in there. And giving this a chance. I do notice something that has heightened, and that would be my urge to run and be outside. It's all fed by my anxiety that's why I don't let it bother me much. I have noticed that I am walking outdoors more often."

Juvelle (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It took about a month to work, but I no longer have severe anxiety when I am trying to sleep. I don't know how I went so long without it."

Chelsiedawn89 May 28, 2017

"Life changer"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety and panic attacks a few months ago and this medication has totally changed my life. I used to be in a near constant state of anxiety and panic, it got to the point that I was having frequent crippling panic attacks. I was prescribed prozac for anxiety and hydroxyzine for panic attacks. The prozac works so well the panic attacks were gone in a week, and I think I have only used the hydroxyzine a few times (it doesn't really work) I would like another medication for panic attacks (even though I rarely have them, I'd like to have it just in case) however prozac has been absolutely wonderful for anxiety."

renem112212 May 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed by my GP with postpartum depression/anxiety in September 2016 when my daughter was 10 months old. I started seeing a psychologist weekly and taking medication from the beginning of 2017. I have been taking a 10mg dose of Lovan (Prozac) each day for approximately 8 weeks now and over the past week I have noticed a big difference in my mental health. Sure, I still get those feelings of sadness from time to time, but not as frequently as I was. Prior to these past 8 weeks I was having thoughts of not wanting to be here anymore, and recently these thoughts are no longer haunting me. I hope to God I am only going to improve from here on in. My advice is, give the medication time to work! I am SO thankful I pushed through the bad days."

TaylahH93 May 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Personal experience: 1. Put up with the initial uncomfortable feelings of dizziness, increased anxiety, insomnia, lethargy, (the anxiety is usually your fears related to taking medicine and the 'what ifs', medicine alone can not make you think bad things. 2. After 2 weeks (yes I was one of the unlucky few who had very bad side effects for all that time but I stuck with it) the therapeutic effects start coming through eventually 3. Don't just assume medicine will make you completely happy, you still need to actively change your life to fix the root causes of anxiety or depression i.e do mediation, quit drinking, do CBT, take up exercise, see a therapist, be around people more."

Tomtom82 April 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I should have been on this sooner. I'm a 26 year old recent law school graduate enduring the bar exam- unfortunately twice. My first round of studying I was crying daily, couldn't sleep, was irritable, extremely depressed, anxious- I am normally these things, but it was heightened by the bar exam. My first time taking the exam, I didn't come close to finishing the exam on the second day. I was crying and couldn't control my panic attacks. Second round of studying for the test, I decided to see a psychiatrist who gave me Prozac. I love it. I feel like a normal person. A better version of who I was. I feel even, I don't have panic attacks, don't cry, I feel great."

Tammy6789 April 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is my 4th review since 2014. Prozac has almost completely eliminated my anxiety episodes. Weight loss ceased some time ago and I gained weight back most likely due to drinking. Appetite is normal, bowel movements are more normal than ever-sorry, but when I had severe anxiety that was a big problem. I can speak in large group settings with no problem, travel without issues and deal with stressful situations effectively. Overall, I feel great with no side effects. Cons: Drinking can be an issue. Definitely drink moderately, eat before drinking and drink plenty of water. Alcohol can sneak up on you and cause drowsiness or blackouts. Believe me I know......."

wickedsmile March 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This was prescribed for my 14-year-old's anxiety/depression and panic attacks. It turned our lives upside down, my daughter was on it for three terrible weeks. It increased her anxiety and the severity of her panic attacks by a lot. The black box warning happened, my daughter was suicidal on several occasions. We did gene testing during this time (Genomind) and it showed she would have an adverse reaction to it. Took her off of it and within two days she felt much better. Genetic testing should be protocol for all doctors prescribing these meds, and please be cautious giving your teenager anti-depressants."

Never Prozac Again for Us (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hello All, I decided to post my experience with Prozac to support others as well. I was suffering from extreme anxiety and panic attacks. Prior to this I had no prior history from my mental disorders, so this was all new to me.. ( it was also interfering with my life, work, social life) I decided to see a psychiatrist. She Recommended Prozac. The first 4 weeks it was really tough. I had really bad nausea, I had constant headaches, I felt like my brain was being rewired, I felt out of it, I couldn't sleep well. Once I hit the 5th week and beyond everything started getting better, I have been on for 4 Months on Prozac and I feel like my old self, I feel normal again and all the symptoms are gone and the anxiety and panic attacks are gone."

LILYF March 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been suffering from anxiety and paranoia for about 6 months now. The past month has been extreme with constant thought that I'm going to die, when health wise I'm perfectly fine besides needing to lose a few pounds. It has gotten to the point where every ache and pain makes me think something is wrong with me and that I'm going to die. I fear being alone with my 8 months old the most. I fear something will happen to me and nobody will know and my baby will be alone in the house until daddy gets home. I tried almost everything except medicine because I am scared of side effects. Prescribed fluoxetine 20mg. I've had the prescription for 2 weeks and been holding off. I finally gave in and started today. Your posts give me hope."

MIC89 February 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Prozac (10mg) worked great for my depressive symptoms- I had energy and was motivated. I had no issues with weight gain or my sex drive. It did however, significantly increase my anxiety- I had scary obsessive, intrusive thoughts, along with bad episodes of panic that came out of nowhere. I was scared to drive, go over bridges- there was always this fear of "what if?" Everything that I could be anxious about, I was. I had a very difficult time quieting my mind, and at times I thought i was going crazy. Very scary experience overall. For those suffering from depression, Im sure this RX is a God-send, but much too "speedy" for my body."

Anonymous February 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed prozac generic 20 mg 2 weeks ago by my doctor. I had a rough patch with a family member which led to extreme anxiety/OCD, I had panic attacks and left work on several ocassions. This led to depression, felt like surrounded by a dark cloud. I am male in my late 30's and never suffered with this before so it really scared me. I thought I was going crazy. Finally decided to get help after 2 months. I was very nervous to take after some reviews.It's been 2 weeks and I feel SO much better. Is seemed like 1 day I woke up and the depression and anxiety just faded. I had some side effects for first 5 days...mental fogginess, drowsiness, headache, waking up early but all went away. hope this helps and stick with it!! exercise helps too."

thegoldstandard1981 January 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking Prozac 9 weeks ago after Mirtazapine stopped working. I was suffering with bad OCD, anxiety and panic attacks on a daily basis. When I first started on the medication, I thought it would be a miracle drug, however the side effects were horrendous. For 7 solid weeks I was a mess, I was depressed (I dont even suffer with depression) I was crying at my desk all the time, I had horrible thoughts, crippling anxiety, would not leave my house or talk to anyone the only thing that would get me through the day was Diazapam. I am on 40mg and after 7 weeks it was like a light turned on and I have been 'normal' for 2 weeks straight, I am so happy I stuck with it. I know it's hard but trust me it's worth it."

Jodeyxo December 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I began taking Prozac about 10 years ago for generalized anxiety disorder and prescribed my family physician. I took 10 mg for awhile and then increased to about 20mg. During this time on Prozac I experienced TMJ which I had never had before. I used to dream of novacaine shots to get rid of the pain. I took a break from Prozac and the tmj disappeared. But I never connected the Prozac with tmj. Dr didn't and dentist didn't. Fast forward to now. Back on Prozac. Back with Tmj. :( Loved Prozac. Got rid of my ruminating thoughts and anxiety. I would give it a ten except for the tmj. Giving Zoloft a try. Hopefully no tmj."

Ghost girl December 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had severe anxiety all my life sweaty hands, sweaty feet, shaky feel like your vibrating inside dizzy light-headed it is an awful way to live and until I was an adult with kids of my own. l had no treatment but now I have literally tried every depression and anxiety medication there is and Prozac has helped me the most without unbearable side effects."

hope12 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi everyone, I experienced extreme anxiety which then lead to panic disorder. It sounds like it basically started from built up stress but, let me tell you my story as I want people to feel more comfortable and understand what's going on as I have done extensive research on the issue. First, anxiety and panic disorder are awful. You feel like you can't breathe, that you're having a heart attack, you get dizzy, you feel off balance, you get sweaty hands and feet, you're not comfortable and always anxious, sometimes you even feel that you're legs are going to give out. If the above feels like you well I took Prozac and honestly it saved me. "

Fightanxietyforever (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks for the past few months. The doctor started me on buspirone but it didn't help. I tried lexapro and couldn't take the side effects. I just stated Prozac 10 mg this week. So far no side effects. I just hope it helps soon. My anxiety was bad today. I have anxiety everyday. Just curious if anyone shakes with their anxiety? I just started shaking about a week ago and when I get nervous, it is worse."

#tired01 December 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was going through a breakdown and eating healthy and working out but still life was a mess and I couldn't cope so my PCP prescribed this to get me through. I lost a bunch of weight, fine because I was a tad chunky and became numb to so many things but I was able to cope better and I had a bunch of energy. I couldn't sleep but it was okay with my 75 hour work week. It was hard to concentrate on my medical studies because I would get confused a lot but overall I adjusted and I would get on it again. Getting off it was smooth."

Audriauna-all-day (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ok, I felt better two days in to treatment. Then, a week in, I am calm. Two weeks in, still calm. Just even. Finally. I've struggled with rapid heartbeats, sweating, panic, fear, talking too fast, gasping for breath because I have so much anxiety, and just a general uncomfortable feeling my whole life. Of course Xanax and meds like that worked, but when they wore off the anxiety would come back worse. This drug Prozac? Like, why didn't I try it earlier. I've been on many other antidepressants and only Cymbalta came close. On 20 mg and my headaches and muscle tension are also reduced. I hope this lasts. The only side effects: early waking, and waking up a few times at night, but I just take some Benadryl and I sleep through the night"

ZoeMushka10 (taken for less than 1 month) November 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This was the second antidepressant I tried, worked great for a few months be then it went downhill fast. I stop shortly after it got really bad, however Prozac withdrawal is one of the most emotionally and physically challenging things I've ever done. I do not advise people with even slightly addictive habits to take this, I truely do not like this med, at all, but maybe it works for some people."

Sadboi November 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on meds for depression, anxiety and pmdd for over 10 years. Even on Zoloft I would cry at work all the time over little things, take everything personally, Finally, there was a suicidal ideation breaking point for me and I went off Zoloft and on Prozac 20 mg. Within a few days, I felt the depression and sadness lifting. 2 months later, still not depressed. My psychiatrist just upped my Prozac to 30 mg and I'm having trouble sleeping through the night. Overall I feel less emotions and don't care as much about work and other things. I don't react strongly to anything. However, I'm tired a lot and feel much less motivated in all areas of my life. It's better than being depressed &stressed."

Jenn2017 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 1, 2016