User Reviews for Prozac to treat Anxiety and Stress

Prozac Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 14 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Prozac

"I was put on Prozac 20mg for my anxiety and stress but it made me GET OCD. Worse anxiety. Hands started twitching. Couldn't hold my phone. Dr. upped my dose to 30mg (because of increased anxiety) and the muscle twitching and tremors got so bad I just stopped taking it. Did nothing for anxiety. Felt worse ."

Imnotlikethem March 15, 2019

"I have been taking Prozac for roughly a year. Before that, I was on Lexapro for a year but switched due to weight gain. Where do I begin? This pill has given me confidence, more social ease, allowed me to live my life more freely and openly and not panic at the slightest inconvenience. I can go with the flow. I'm more regular, I sleep better, it's as though I was missing something and this is it. An additional bonus I've found, which I can find no information on is that it has made my hair grow thicker, faster and fuller. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this?"

Mandy1 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 7, 2019

"I hope you will understand me because my English is not perfect, so sorry for that. Before everything you should never use antidepressants without doctor’s surveillance. I did this mistake and I literally ruined my life . When I was in high school I was obsessed about girls. I mean I hadn’t any anxiety or panic attacks but just I couldn’t talk to girlfriends like others which was making me upset sometimes. Actually my story is so long and complicated but I want to say that you shouldn’t take anxiety pills for just foolish problems. Because after , you can ruin your life. These suggestions are especially for young students like me. You should start and quit taking only on the recommendation of professional advice."

anxious turk (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 20, 2019

"Hey there! 29 year old gay man vet tech and future DVM (Doctor of Veterinary Medicine program ). Lost my fiance 2 days ago due to spleen injury/rupture. Doctor put me on 20 mg of fluoxetine and 0.5mg of klonopin as needed,no side effects for now,I'm just praying this will work..."

lukavettech (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 14, 2019

"I wish I had been on this medication sooner in life. I have always been a highly sensitive person, Prozac has allowed me to feel a sense of "normalcy". I don't overreact as often anymore, I am more at ease socially. I don't have as drastic of mood swings during "that time of the month". I am easier to get along with in my relationships, I sleep better and wake early. I am energized and have dedicated myself to the gym since I started this medication. I have tried lowering my dose from 20 mg to 10 mg and I do not find it to be effective. I will likely be on this medication for life as I feel it improves vastly my quality of life. Side effects are a mild dampening of sexual desire but I take Maca supplements and that helps."

Jess33 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 8, 2019

"This medication has truly been life changing. I suffered from severe anxiety for years. After taking this medication for a month, most of the anxiety and intrusive thoughts disappeared. I take the lightest dose 10mg, and have found that it is just enough for me when used in conjunction with mindfulness techniques that help keep anxiety at bay. I will say, this medication made my appetite disappear completely. Lost 15lbs very fast once I started taking it."

SouthernFlorida February 2, 2019

"Anyone thinking about going on Prozac DON'T DO IT! Unless you plan to take one month off work. But trying to come off is a nightmare so you become dependent on Prozac. I took it for seven days then enough was enough I had every side effect. I also lost my job seeing as I couldn't focus on small or let alone big tasks. The first night not taking it I experienced headaches so bad I thought my head was going to explode...I also had uncontrollable leg movement and jaw locking. I didn’t sleep until 6am in the morning and woke up at 3pm. I will say though I did experience myself becoming overly happy on the third day. Hopefully I feel back to my normal self within a week"

Samantha (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2019

"Dr tried me with Prozac. First 8 days were bad. Severe nausea no appetite and worsened anxiety. After reading everything I could on the net, I stuck to reading just the positives. Made my mind up to stick with it as I think so many give up too soon. Now day 11 and the fog is definitely lifting. My last 3 days have been so much better. Think of it as a journey and rate each day out of 10. Write it down..day 1 I scored 3 so pretty low..day 2-5 scored 2!! Today I’m a 6.2 so please don’t give up on this med. I may score 5 tomorrow but I WILL NOT stop taking it. I believe in it and that gives me a positive attitude towards my recovery. Even if it is a placebo effect, I’ll take that any day over depression and anxiety. I’ll never be a 10 but the high 7’s will do just fine."

Potty (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2019

"I've been taking 20mg Prozac for over a month and may stop purely for the memory issues I am facing and find it hard to enjoy anything anymore which includes (Takeaway food, sex and playing games or anything that's pleasurable). It is if you prefer the positives over the negatives and right now the negatives are slightly winning. In short: Positives: Weight Loss(best shape I've been in years) Appetite suppressant Reduced Stress Reduced Anxiety Reduced Depression Less Angry or irritable Negatives: Severe memory problems (both short and long term) Decreased sex drive(Male, not sure about female) Numbing of both positive and negative emotions Terrible sleep(Always feel jittery when tired in bed) Super lethargic(Being lazy always forcing myself to do stuff)"

teal1995 January 10, 2019

"Could not take this medicine. Caused heart racing, anxiety and insomnia. Did not get better as time went on. Tried 1/2 of the lowest possible dose and still had a problem."

blue-sky (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2018

"I was prescribed Prozac at age 13 about 5 years after being diagnosed with OCD. Since then, my OCD had moderate but stable, but I had developed anxiety, depression, and disordered eating habits after years of bullying in school. My psychiatrist was an arrogant older man who had zero interest in listening to the (serious) concerns of a 13 year old girl. He prescribed me Prozac and failed to address the headaches I experienced on the drug. Needless to say, it didn’t even touch the symptoms of the mental distress I was experiencing. I went from mildly depressed to suicidal in a matter of months. Every psychiatrist I’ve seen since then has insisted on prescribing this glorified placebo, despite my insistence that no dosage of Prozac has EVER helped my anxiety, depression, or OCD. I’m now 19, and have tried this drug and varying doses 3 different times with ZERO success. I feel there is little hope that I will ever be completely happy and healthy."

Stressed December 28, 2018

"I was prescribed 20 mg Prozac by my doctor when I was diagnosed with social anxiety and it helped me a lot. It made me more confident, my anxiety symptoms subsided drastically, and I was in better mood. However, the one and only issue I had with this medicine was its side effect which was low libido. My doctor recommended me taking lower dosage, 10 mg, to see if it changes. I should say it did increase my libido a bit but not significantly. However, I started taking Maca supplement for a couple weeks which helped me a lot with my sex drive. It does not have any interaction with Prozac and it's deemed to be safe by experts."

Jack (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 11, 2018

"I took Prozac for 24 years, and up until the last four years, it worked fine. At that point, my family underwent long term drastic changes. Needless to say, my depression returned, but this time with an unwanted companion: anxiety. I upped my dosage from 20 to 30 mg but it didn’t help at all. So I turned to Lexapro. Most importantly, lexapro addressed to anxiety, which Prozac really didn’t do. I have my life back. I don’t dread going to work every day. I am calmer and have a much healthier perspective. Light has entered my life once again."

Jtann November 8, 2018

"My GP switched me from Lexapro 10mg to Prozac 20mg as I was trying to get pregnant & this has studies done around pregnancy etc. anyway I found this medication made me hyper, manic & over energized. I had racing thoughts, couldn’t settle, my panic attacks were back as bad as ever and I was starting to dread public situations like shopping, having lunch in work etc. I knew in my head it was med so I tried it for 9 weeks. I felt awful for the 9 weeks, manic and hyper & adrenaline pumping constantly. It was a horrible drug for me. It didn’t suit me so I switched back to Lexapro. Side effects coming off it weren’t easy even though it has a long half-life. I struggled on this in general. I’m sure it just didn’t suit my chemistry whereas I know it works for so many!"

Koko34 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2018

"Prozac worked well for me but only for about the first four months. I tried increasing my dose but that to be ineffective. I don’t believe it to be a drug that should be used long term. In my circumstance I found I hit threshold where the medication was working against me. In hindsight I believe I had hit the point where I was “cured” and likely should have listened to my body and stopped taking the meds sooner."

Mands23 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 27, 2018

"I couldn’t function at all in my daily life and triggers where pretty much anything which is suppose to be enjoyed in life , and would cause further pain in my stomach. I lived in sheer hell for two years until I finally saw a psychiatrist who prescribed me fluoxetine. I didn’t cry there after and within a week or so I noticed a difference in how I felt. It appears to have put the thoughts more into the background resulting in much less intense stomach anxiety. I had some bouts of diarrhoea, dry mouth, headaches and vivid dreams/nightmares which lasted 2/3 weeks. Still get the odd headache but could be because not drinking enough water. I feel more positive, more optimistic about the future, more able to think logically and deal with my issues better. It’s like everything has been toned down somewhat, and best of all the pain in my stomach has settled down a lot. So far so good. Started on 20mg remain on 20mg for time being."

James September 25, 2018

"I just started Prozac yesterday as I am weaning off of Effexor (which I have been on for 4 years and although it helped with anxiety in the beginning, I had severe mood swings and a multitude of horrible side effects) Today I feel alive not just like someone going through my normal day. So far so good."

Fitness Fanatic (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2018

"I started taking Prozac 3 months ago for anxiety. I started with 2.5 mg for two weeks, then 5 mg for two weeks, then 10 mg for two weeks, then finally my dose of 20 mg. I think this really helped mitigate possible side effects. I haven’t experienced any insomnia or weight gain, or any of the other side effects I read about before starting this medication. Prozac has worked wonders for me and it’s honestly like my happy pill. It has ridden me of the intrusive, anxious thought patterns and panic attacks and I feel like a more reasonable and stable person. I still get anxious every day but I just feel a lot more in control of myself and my state of mind, and my self-talk is more effective than it used to be. I definitely recommend Prozac for anyone suffering from anxiety and panic attacks!!"

bettyboop (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 9, 2018

"So far I’m about 2 months into using Prozac and I must say it’s done wonders for me. I want to let people know that the first few weeks I had some stomach issues (slight loose stools) which subsided around week 3. After that my mood has been better my attitude and relationship has flourished. Also an odd side effect for me is having an increased libido. (Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing) also taking longer for orgasms (again probably isn’t a bad thing). If anxiety and depression rule your life give Prozac a try."

RF (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 7, 2018

"I’ve been taking for 2 months and it has worked wonders for me and to think I been suffering from anxiety and depression and a serious eating disorder and this was all I need was Prozac. My mind state has completely changed I’m happy - I'm not a negative thinker anymore. I feel like a new and improved version already and can’t wait to see how much more better I feel as I continue taking this medication!! It’s so worth trying if you're suffering from depression"

Victoria (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 29, 2018

"Throughout my life I’ve been over-bearingly anxious. Never felt comfortable around people and would over-think everything. I’ve always been told to “tough it out” or “just don’t over think and over worry” I recently just ended my 4 years in the Marine Corps and was finally able to find the help I need without it affecting my military career. I’ve been taking Prozac 20 mg (Fluoxetine) and did not feel anything in till week 3 where I noticed that I wasn’t as uncomfortable or anxious. Fast forward to week 6 and my anxiety is virtually extinguished. I am now able to have conversations with groups of people I don’t know and I’ve been much more outgoing. There is still a little anxiety, but it’s manageable. Only negative side effect for me is that it takes a little longer to achieve an orgasm (which can be both good or bad, depending on the situation lol). I highly recommend prozac!!"

Jay (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2018

"I’m 29 and have had severe anxiety most of my life. I have an overwhelming sense of being on-edge, nervousness and general uncomfortability. Went to rehab for benzodiazepines and opiates where I was prescribed 20mg Prozac. one a day for over a year but ran out of insurance and stopped taking it. I had the most crippling anxiety and wouldn’t even go out to the mailbox because I was so nervous about everything, don’t get me started about driving on a freeway! I was desperate and almost caved in to my self-prescribed meds that will work. Went to the Dr and got on prozac 40 mg a day, with 15mg Busprisone 2x, with Propanolol 10mg 3x a day and it really helps. I could feel the buspar help with my nerves on the road almost within the first week. I started getting the content/ slightly euphoric effects of the Prozac a tickle at 2-3 weeks and I could tell a big difference now at 5-6 weeks. The propranolol is like my go to for a panic situation, like the DMV, store, or having to share in a group."

NamedNikki August 11, 2018

"Awful!! I never felt worse than when I was on this drug. I had constant nausea, no appetite, huge intense mood swings. 10/10 do NOT recommend this"

19 year old girl (taken for less than 1 month) August 8, 2018

"This antidepressant does help with anxiety and depression, but caused me to have side effects like stomach problems (mostly diarrhea), terrible acne, made me tired yawning all day, constantly hungry, and bothered my sinuses. I was only on it for a few weeks and had to go off of it."

MSmith June 10, 2018

"This drug has done wonders for me. It change my life. No more fear or negative thoughts. The only mayor problem weight gain and decrease of sexual desires. I don’t know what to do. I love this drug but can’t take the weight gain. I go to the gym and try to eat less and still my weight doesn’t go down. I really don’t know what to do. Any advice?????? I am a new person on this medication."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2018