User Reviews for Prozac

Learn more about Prozac.

Prozac Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Prozac to treat Anxiety and Stress

"Hello! I just started back on 40mg Prozac for the second time. I originally started taking it last summer for anxiety. I more so like to call it situational anxiety (single mom working my butt off trying to raise my daughter). I think anyone would have stress in my shoes. I've pushed past that all now. It helped with the anxiety, but it really helps with weight loss. I lost about 20 lbs. Went off the meds (no withdrawals) and weight slowly crept back on. My brother is getting married in a couple months and I want to look my best and shed a few pounds. Honestly, Prozac doesn't effect my brain much. Food taste different tho. I have a hard time having an orgasm. Worth the sacrifice for now. Other than that perfect pill for me for weight loss."

Cheyzam (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2016

"This medication is very useful and helpful in my opinion for depression but on the other hand it does not work nearly as well for anxiety. Would recommend for someone with depression but not for someone with anxiety."

Sweetgirlmeg August 24, 2016

"I was placed on the generic of Prozac 6 weeks ago. I have social anxiety (always have) and my doctor told me that it was related to an OCD/depression and could possibly be PTSD. All of this confused me but made sense at the same time because I have always suspected all of these. She told me prozac would greatly help with my anxiety problems. Since being on prozac the only changes I have really noticed are extreme fatigue during the day, lessened appetite (which is good because I have been overeating for a while), and I feel like it has helped my relationship a bit. I don't seem to get as agitated as fast (but i have bad days sometimes). I do however feel like I zone out a lot now and forget what I'm saying sometimes."

NursC16 July 30, 2016

"Well my diagnosis is hard to explain... The doctor says that I'm bipolar but in all actuality I'm on a bad high. I'm always extremely hyper (or anxious) but have all the symptoms of depression! I have lack of concentration and I am not able to keep things in my head straight, like starting one thing before finishing the other. I am now on day 12 of 20mg and almost instantly I could tell a difference when I started talking it. But mind you I'm also on deprekote and at the same time he upped that dosage by 500mg! But I'm so much calmer now and I am feeling so much better. And I'm in this for the long haul. The side affects were very minimal for me, out of 12 days just two days my stomach has hurt but the others I really felt very full ."

Kb67 (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2016

"I am 25 years old and I have been dealing with anxiety and depression for most of my life. My GP prescribed me Fluoxetine 20mg and I have been taking it for 2 months now. I could see results within the first 2 weeks - things that bothered me everyday were slowly diminishing. It's not like they weren't in the back of my mind but it's almost like a wall was keeping me from thinking about those issues excessively. Essentially I don't care about petty things anymore and I am genuinely happy now! I still have anxiety/panic attacks but they are not as extreme as they once were. I did have side effects initially: indigestion, headache, fatigue, weakness, yawning, loss of appetite, and nausea. Those have diminished greatly now."

knew4897 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2016

"This medication did not work for me at all. It could possibly be because I don't metabolize SSRI's very well but I could not feel any sort of change when on this. It helped a little with my minor OCD which I why I stayed on it for so long but after awhile it just triggered what my doctor said was an underlying mood disorder because I started flip flopping between being content or even emotionless, and being severely depressed. This medication did not help me but I'm not going to say it wouldn't work for other people. I just couldn't take the side effects."

Sydney8445 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 28, 2016

"I started taking Prozac about a month ago for anxiety and depression. I had been in therapy for about 8 months prior to this for the same reasons. I had made several lifestyle changes before trying Prozac. I quit smoking, drinking caffeine and alcohol, and started exercising more. None of this was helping my anxiety (main problem). My anxiety was especially bad during my menstrual cycle, so I talked to my Dr. and he prescribed Prozac. I waited 2 months to take it because I had never taken an AD before and was scared. But once I did I was so glad! Prozac has honestly changed my life for the better. I believe I was much more depressed than I realized before taking it and my anxiety has completely disappeared."

Alahet (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2016

"I have spent a lot of time reading threads on Prozac. They have all been very helpful during these past few months so I thought I should share my own experiences just in case anyone out there might find it helpful. I started Prozac 20mg about 2 months ago. I always knew I had anxiety and mild depression and was always curious about taking anti-depressants. But when my boyfriend and I broke up I literally went to my PsycDoc the very next day. I had done my research on AD’s and thought that Prozac would be the best for me. My Doc agreed. I kept a log every single day I took Prozac starting from Day #1 until Day #30. It took 24 days before I started feeling little random bursts of happiness. But up until day #24 it was pure torture. It hurt to smile, I completely lost my appetite, I could not sleep, I was sad, I experienced soooo much anxiety is was painful. But thanks to reading all these threads I did not give up and was hopeful that things will get better just as everyone said it will. Every day after Day #24 just seemed to have gotten better and better. And on Day #30, it finally hit me and I understood what Prozac is all about. Yes it is true that it is a life saver. If I had to put it in just two words to explain how I feel on Prozac I would have to say “Calm” and “Clear”. But I’m not finished just yet… after a few weeks I started feeling like the 20mg wasn’t really working. So my Doc increased my dose to 40mg. this time around I almost gave up and went back to 20mg, but thankfully I did not. For 3 weeks of taking 40mg I was soooo tired, fatigue and lethargic. I did not experience this on 20mg. and I was constantly hungry too. So after week #3 I called my Doc so I can make an appointment to go back down to 20mg. he was out of town so I had to wait. When his office called me back to schedule me in, the awful side effects of 40mg were gone and I was back to feeling clear, calm and happy again. So here is my own personal advice from my own journey with Prozac… I’ve been on it for a little over 2 months. You have to get worse before you get better. No matter what you think, YOU WILL GET BETTER. Prozac is literally reprogramming and rewiring your brain and that TAKES TIME. Side note: I’m 31 years old and ex-boyfriend and I are back together and happy. So were all those days of torture worth it? It sure was."

Calyfornia (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2016

"I previously took Celexa for GAD; but it stopped working. Switched to Paxil. Paxil is great for anxiety but it gave me constant nausea that wouldn't go away. I switched to Prozac. The first 2 weeks on Prozac, it gave me more anxiety, nausea and unable to eat a lot. After two weeks, my anxiety/panicky was reduced, appetite is good again and sometimes I will get bouts of nausea. So far, Prozac at 40 is working pretty good. I also take Valium 5 mg as needed once or twice a week. Valium is amazing. When Prozac is not working well on certain days, Valium is used to smooth things out. Valium is a good rx since it will stay in our system for a longer time. If you use it scarcely, you can use Valium for life. Prozac & Valium: Excellent together."

Anonymous July 15, 2016

"Was prescribed this. First dose and I'm already having difficulty achieving an erection. Not ever taking this again. Not worth it."

Racing mind (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2016

"Prozac for anxiety and stress: I started Prozac 20 mgs on January 1, 2016. I feel great so far with no anxiety and panicky feeling. Not everyday is perfect but that is life. The first two weeks on Prozac 20 mgs, it made my anxiety high, it made me nauseated, unable to eat and unable to sleep. Since I suffer from GAD, 20 mgs suddenly stopped working and I went up to 40 mgs. Increased to 40 mgs, it gave me a lot of anxiety and panicky feeling again. After one week or so, the anxiety was gone. The panicky feeling was also gone. I have tried three other ADs and they all gave me chronic nausea and headache. However, on Prozac, I feel great. I do feel nauseas at but it is manageable. Give Prozac 7 weeks before you quit. Two thumbs up!"

Be strong July 2, 2016

"Been on Prozac for 3 weeks now and starting to see light at end of tunnel. Stomach pain an nausea the first couple weeks but much better now. I'm sleeping well and feel more relaxed. I find I actually want to do things like take a walk, play with grandkids, clean house and take care of myself. I didn't want to do anything before Prozac. I just existed. Thanks to Prozac I'm now living at 56 years old!"

Texas Granny 2005 June 19, 2016

"When I read the comments about Prozac I believe that most of the good ones are from people who are still on them or took them for a short period of time. The review should include the withdrawal. I was given Prozac 14 years ago for anxiety I was not depressed. It worked well for anxiety, I tried to come off them many times and suffered what I thought was a return of anxiety but was in reality withdrawal. Since coming off completely 2 years ago I have been destroyed mentally and physically. My cognition is very poor I have serious vision problems and dizziness and agitation and I'm in constant pain. my pharmacologist and neurologist are in agreement"

Tatty1 June 17, 2016

"Been on this for a few weeks now and I feel no better than I did before I started taking this.. Gained weight and getting severe migraines.."

Suicidalangel May 20, 2016

"It didn't work, I was up to 40mg daily and felt literally nothing. Ever since I had my son I have had panic attacks and bad anxiety so I went to the doctor and was prescribed Prozac. I was so disappointed. I almost feel more depressed now."

MadisonR May 17, 2016

"I was put on prozac 5 years ago to help with severe premenapausal symtoms (ie: anxiety, night sweats, Hot flashes, depression, lack of concentration, ).I was amazed how good it felt and how much it helped with all these symptoms. The extra bonus was I was much happier, relaxed and more social than I had been ever before. The serotonin was a miracle drug. I take 20 mg 3 times a day and if I miss more than 4 days all my symtoms as well as depression kick in. I'm 51 and it's been a life savor for me."

Etphonehome777 May 4, 2016

"I was prescribed 10mg of this medication for the first month and felt okay, but I still had my bad days. On my 6th week, my doc upped my prescription to 20 mg, and in the week I was on that dosage, my anxiety was through the roof. I went back to my doctor with my symptoms and he put me back down to 10mg with the intent of weening me off of it. Plus, this makes you kind of emotionless, like a zombie. Even on my good days where I wasn't anxious, I just didn't have the motivation to do anything. I really don't recommend this to anyone. But if it helps you, that's good."

CJBrill (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2016

"I've been off and on the prozac for over a year now. Keep reading stuff on the internet about its side effects, then flush them down the drain. But then I get back on the medicine. I can say that I feel its effects after just one dose, it feels like a pretty strong drug and I'm only on 10mg. Don't drink too much caffeine on prozac! I've had the worst anxiety attacks if I drink an energy drink after taking my dose of prozac. It does help me get stuff done and stay motivated and I guess it helps with general anxiety as well. It does kind of make me impulsive though but I'm learning to make better decisions while on the medicine. I think it helps over all and I will continue to stay on it for the foreseeable future."

greenberg333 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 19, 2016

"Started more as supplement to wellbutrin. But I got more from this so I quit wellbutrin and take this at 20mg. feel great. Calm and clear. Focused and motivated. Side effects were mild...vivid dreams and absolutely zero appetite. Eat lunch and thats it. Not hungry the rest of the day. Great for motivation and clarity."

Bobalaneo (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2016

"This drug saved my life. It did not work for the first month and a half but when it did! Amazing results! No anxiety! And I suffered from panic attacks 24/7. Not saying this drug alone will fix all your problems but it helped me so so much! Gave me my excitement for life back"

Sara27373628 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 21, 2016

126 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been on prozac for a few years now. I stopped taking it in mid December just restarted today anxiety and stress are tuff to deal with let alone with out this medicine."

OAR February 22, 2016

"I have been on fluoxetine 20mg for six months. It took about 8 weeks to notice any positive mood changes. After a few weeks of starting it I began to feel like I was living in a fog and had a difficult time concentrating but that eventually went away and turned into optimism and feeling great. Please give it a couple of months to work. It takes time to kick in. After 8 weeks I felt good and happy for a while but recently have relapsed into anxiety and depression again. My MD has now upped my dosage to 40mg. I am hopeful I will get the happiness and optimism back again soon from the higher dose."

darksideofthemoon (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 15, 2016

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Taken for 9 days now. I take this with 1mg Ativan 2x daily as needed. First few days I was tired, had a couple weepy moments, and nausea/full feeling that made me not want to eat. Day 6 I had a bout of insomnia so I'm slowly moving the time I take my meds from the evening to afternoon, then the morning. No real insomnia since - just more of a hard time going back to sleep after waking (back to sleep within 20 mins). I've noticed I'm perkier and friendlier when I talk with people, just can feel some tiredness behind my eyes in the morning usually until the afternoon. I noticed I haven't experienced as many body aches I get from my anxiety as I have in the past. I'm hoping these are all good signs this medication is doing the trick for me."

DawnBreeze (taken for less than 1 month) February 10, 2016

"In about 1996 I started Prozac for 13 years and then it stopped working, I was on 2 different meds since then but the last one caused excessive body sweating to the point where I could not work as I work with the public. I just went back on Prozac 3 days ago and I already feel so calm and rational. When I was on it for those 13 years my doctor said I was the poster child for Prozac as I had no symptoms. So far I do not have any. I love Prozac."

RemiB January 29, 2016

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've recently started taking prozac and have never been on an ssri before but have always thought I needed one for my constant worrying thoughts and random depression. I haven't been taking it for very long and already feel like a weight has been lifted. I feel happier and it's easier to get rid of my bad thoughts that previously consumed my life. I feel better than I've ever felt amd wish I would have tried it sooner!"

Aj2817 January 24, 2016

130 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next