User Reviews for Prozac to treat Anxiety and Stress

Prozac Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 13 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Prozac

"Started taking Prozac for anxiety and panic attacks. I wasn’t leaving my house and running out of public places. Collapsing in public from panic. I decided to stay in for months. Ok so I tried Prozac and it worked amazing !! I’m so much more calm and able to function again. I’m In such a good mood all the time I feel like myself again. Only side effect is loss of appetite and I’ve been on this for about a month and a half now."

De (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2019

"I've always struggled with ADHD/anxiety my entire life. I was leery about taking it meds due to the way society has put such a bad name on it and I felt less of a person by taking it. I finally let my doctor convince me to take Prozac 20mg and its the best thing I've done for myself and my family. I feel like the person I've always been meant to be. I can think more clearly and handle stressful situations. I'm a wife and mother and can say my marriage has improved as little things don't bother me like before. I have more patience with my kids and have become closer with them. At first I was constantly tired and hungry and almost no desire to do anything but after reading reviews, I decided to push forward and after 6 weeks, everything changed. My exhaustion went away and more normal appetite came back. Its been 2 months and I feel like I have more energy and am enjoying life so much more! My advise is to not give up. It takes time and has the ability to change things for the better!"

Brittney (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2019

"I have suffered with anxiety my entire life. After having 2 kids, my anxiety got so bad I stopped going to work, stopped eating, couldn't get out of bed, I was afraid of my own thoughts. I was hospitalized for a week. When I was prescribed prozac I had anxiety about taking it and the first 3.5 weeks of being on it were HARD. Diarrhea, insomnia, heightened anxiety and depression. But I took klonopin as needed to help me get through. By week 5 I literally felt like my old self again. I can't believe the difference. I'm so grateful I stuck with it. I'm on 40mg and its been the best choice I have made for myself and my family."

Jamie (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2019

"I was on prozac for a whole month after switching from another anti anxiety med. From day one starting to feel more energy. Then I got really hyper and could not sleep. My skin felt on fire, I had severe nausea, really scary worst anxiety. Ifelt like my mind was fast forwarding. I am fine now after it being discontinued for a week."

CeCe (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2019

"If you are wondering how long it takes fluoxetine to work I want you all to know that it took me 12 WEEKS for my Lovan/fluoxetine to work! I was giving up hope after 8 weeks but decided to stay on them, around 12 weeks later I went to sleep woke up and I was a complete different person, Happier, outgoing, bubbly and I could go out in public without feeling anxious, I wasn’t depressed and wasn't having bad thoughts anymore I was suddenly a positive happy excited person. My advise is please don’t give up until after 12 weeks because you could feel terrible one day and the next morning boom everything is better! It might happen slower for other people but that was just my experience"

Anxiousgoat (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2019

"I suffer with Anxiety and Stress, with a side of depression. I was prescribed Prozac and Buspar for the anxiety and depression. It has been a literal game changer. Once you get through the first few weeks and the Prozac gets into your system, it's been amazing. I feel more motivated, more alert, less jumpy/panicky, etc. Remember, antidepressants aren't a one-size fits all deal. So what may work for one person may not work for you. But this was definitely a great fit for me."

Morgo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 23, 2019

"Let me begin by saying that I would NOT advise starting Prozac (or generic Fluoxetine) unless you have severe anxiety and depression and have already undergone significant CBT psychotherapy and alternative methods to no avail. In my case, I began prozac because I had developed anxiety and OCD after a difficult injury I sustained. As I expected, the first few days were very tough, extremely bad anxiety while trying to go to sleep. The medication subjected me to harsh hypomanic moments and made me develop unprecedented anxieties that I had not encountered beforehand. To be fair, I probably scared myself more by looking at negative research, but the increased anxiety paired with memory loss made me decide to quit. This drug my work for you, but it may not. DO NOT be afraid to quit if the cons outweigh the benefits, I felt better off the drug."

TJ April 20, 2019

"I was put on Prozac 20mg for my anxiety and stress but it made me GET OCD. Worse anxiety. Hands started twitching. Couldn't hold my phone. Dr. upped my dose to 30mg (because of increased anxiety) and the muscle twitching and tremors got so bad I just stopped taking it. Did nothing for anxiety. Felt worse ."

Imnotlikethem March 15, 2019

"I have been taking Prozac for roughly a year. Before that, I was on Lexapro for a year but switched due to weight gain. Where do I begin? This pill has given me confidence, more social ease, allowed me to live my life more freely and openly and not panic at the slightest inconvenience. I can go with the flow. I'm more regular, I sleep better, it's as though I was missing something and this is it. An additional bonus I've found, which I can find no information on is that it has made my hair grow thicker, faster and fuller. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this?"

Mandy1 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 7, 2019

"I hope you will understand me because my English is not perfect, so sorry for that. Before everything you should never use antidepressants without doctor’s surveillance. I did this mistake and I literally ruined my life . When I was in high school I was obsessed about girls. I mean I hadn’t any anxiety or panic attacks but just I couldn’t talk to girlfriends like others which was making me upset sometimes. Actually my story is so long and complicated but I want to say that you shouldn’t take anxiety pills for just foolish problems. Because after , you can ruin your life. These suggestions are especially for young students like me. You should start and quit taking only on the recommendation of professional advice."

anxious turk (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 20, 2019

"Hey there! 29 year old gay man vet tech and future DVM (Doctor of Veterinary Medicine program ). Lost my fiance 2 days ago due to spleen injury/rupture. Doctor put me on 20 mg of fluoxetine and 0.5mg of klonopin as needed,no side effects for now,I'm just praying this will work..."

lukavettech (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 14, 2019

"I wish I had been on this medication sooner in life. I have always been a highly sensitive person, Prozac has allowed me to feel a sense of "normalcy". I don't overreact as often anymore, I am more at ease socially. I don't have as drastic of mood swings during "that time of the month". I am easier to get along with in my relationships, I sleep better and wake early. I am energized and have dedicated myself to the gym since I started this medication. I have tried lowering my dose from 20 mg to 10 mg and I do not find it to be effective. I will likely be on this medication for life as I feel it improves vastly my quality of life. Side effects are a mild dampening of sexual desire but I take Maca supplements and that helps."

Jess33 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 8, 2019

"This medication has truly been life changing. I suffered from severe anxiety for years. After taking this medication for a month, most of the anxiety and intrusive thoughts disappeared. I take the lightest dose 10mg, and have found that it is just enough for me when used in conjunction with mindfulness techniques that help keep anxiety at bay. I will say, this medication made my appetite disappear completely. Lost 15lbs very fast once I started taking it."

SouthernFlorida February 2, 2019

"Anyone thinking about going on Prozac DON'T DO IT! Unless you plan to take one month off work. But trying to come off is a nightmare so you become dependent on Prozac. I took it for seven days then enough was enough I had every side effect. I also lost my job seeing as I couldn't focus on small or let alone big tasks. The first night not taking it I experienced headaches so bad I thought my head was going to explode...I also had uncontrollable leg movement and jaw locking. I didn’t sleep until 6am in the morning and woke up at 3pm. I will say though I did experience myself becoming overly happy on the third day. Hopefully I feel back to my normal self within a week"

Samantha (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2019

"Dr tried me with Prozac. First 8 days were bad. Severe nausea no appetite and worsened anxiety. After reading everything I could on the net, I stuck to reading just the positives. Made my mind up to stick with it as I think so many give up too soon. Now day 11 and the fog is definitely lifting. My last 3 days have been so much better. Think of it as a journey and rate each day out of 10. Write it down..day 1 I scored 3 so pretty low..day 2-5 scored 2!! Today I’m a 6.2 so please don’t give up on this med. I may score 5 tomorrow but I WILL NOT stop taking it. I believe in it and that gives me a positive attitude towards my recovery. Even if it is a placebo effect, I’ll take that any day over depression and anxiety. I’ll never be a 10 but the high 7’s will do just fine."

Potty (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2019

"I've been taking 20mg Prozac for over a month and may stop purely for the memory issues I am facing and find it hard to enjoy anything anymore which includes (Takeaway food, sex and playing games or anything that's pleasurable). It is if you prefer the positives over the negatives and right now the negatives are slightly winning. In short: Positives: Weight Loss(best shape I've been in years) Appetite suppressant Reduced Stress Reduced Anxiety Reduced Depression Less Angry or irritable Negatives: Severe memory problems (both short and long term) Decreased sex drive(Male, not sure about female) Numbing of both positive and negative emotions Terrible sleep(Always feel jittery when tired in bed) Super lethargic(Being lazy always forcing myself to do stuff)"

teal1995 January 10, 2019

"Could not take this medicine. Caused heart racing, anxiety and insomnia. Did not get better as time went on. Tried 1/2 of the lowest possible dose and still had a problem."

blue-sky (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2018

"I was prescribed Prozac at age 13 about 5 years after being diagnosed with OCD. Since then, my OCD had moderate but stable, but I had developed anxiety, depression, and disordered eating habits after years of bullying in school. My psychiatrist was an arrogant older man who had zero interest in listening to the (serious) concerns of a 13 year old girl. He prescribed me Prozac and failed to address the headaches I experienced on the drug. Needless to say, it didn’t even touch the symptoms of the mental distress I was experiencing. I went from mildly depressed to suicidal in a matter of months. Every psychiatrist I’ve seen since then has insisted on prescribing this glorified placebo, despite my insistence that no dosage of Prozac has EVER helped my anxiety, depression, or OCD. I’m now 19, and have tried this drug and varying doses 3 different times with ZERO success. I feel there is little hope that I will ever be completely happy and healthy."

Stressed December 28, 2018

"I was prescribed 20 mg Prozac by my doctor when I was diagnosed with social anxiety and it helped me a lot. It made me more confident, my anxiety symptoms subsided drastically, and I was in better mood. However, the one and only issue I had with this medicine was its side effect which was low libido. My doctor recommended me taking lower dosage, 10 mg, to see if it changes. I should say it did increase my libido a bit but not significantly. However, I started taking Maca supplement for a couple weeks which helped me a lot with my sex drive. It does not have any interaction with Prozac and it's deemed to be safe by experts."

Jack (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 11, 2018

"I took Prozac for 24 years, and up until the last four years, it worked fine. At that point, my family underwent long term drastic changes. Needless to say, my depression returned, but this time with an unwanted companion: anxiety. I upped my dosage from 20 to 30 mg but it didn’t help at all. So I turned to Lexapro. Most importantly, lexapro addressed to anxiety, which Prozac really didn’t do. I have my life back. I don’t dread going to work every day. I am calmer and have a much healthier perspective. Light has entered my life once again."

Jtann November 8, 2018

"My GP switched me from Lexapro 10mg to Prozac 20mg as I was trying to get pregnant & this has studies done around pregnancy etc. anyway I found this medication made me hyper, manic & over energized. I had racing thoughts, couldn’t settle, my panic attacks were back as bad as ever and I was starting to dread public situations like shopping, having lunch in work etc. I knew in my head it was med so I tried it for 9 weeks. I felt awful for the 9 weeks, manic and hyper & adrenaline pumping constantly. It was a horrible drug for me. It didn’t suit me so I switched back to Lexapro. Side effects coming off it weren’t easy even though it has a long half-life. I struggled on this in general. I’m sure it just didn’t suit my chemistry whereas I know it works for so many!"

Koko34 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2018

"Prozac worked well for me but only for about the first four months. I tried increasing my dose but that to be ineffective. I don’t believe it to be a drug that should be used long term. In my circumstance I found I hit threshold where the medication was working against me. In hindsight I believe I had hit the point where I was “cured” and likely should have listened to my body and stopped taking the meds sooner."

Mands23 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 27, 2018

"I couldn’t function at all in my daily life and triggers where pretty much anything which is suppose to be enjoyed in life , and would cause further pain in my stomach. I lived in sheer hell for two years until I finally saw a psychiatrist who prescribed me fluoxetine. I didn’t cry there after and within a week or so I noticed a difference in how I felt. It appears to have put the thoughts more into the background resulting in much less intense stomach anxiety. I had some bouts of diarrhoea, dry mouth, headaches and vivid dreams/nightmares which lasted 2/3 weeks. Still get the odd headache but could be because not drinking enough water. I feel more positive, more optimistic about the future, more able to think logically and deal with my issues better. It’s like everything has been toned down somewhat, and best of all the pain in my stomach has settled down a lot. So far so good. Started on 20mg remain on 20mg for time being."

James September 25, 2018

"I just started Prozac yesterday as I am weaning off of Effexor (which I have been on for 4 years and although it helped with anxiety in the beginning, I had severe mood swings and a multitude of horrible side effects) Today I feel alive not just like someone going through my normal day. So far so good."

Fitness Fanatic (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2018

"I started taking Prozac 3 months ago for anxiety. I started with 2.5 mg for two weeks, then 5 mg for two weeks, then 10 mg for two weeks, then finally my dose of 20 mg. I think this really helped mitigate possible side effects. I haven’t experienced any insomnia or weight gain, or any of the other side effects I read about before starting this medication. Prozac has worked wonders for me and it’s honestly like my happy pill. It has ridden me of the intrusive, anxious thought patterns and panic attacks and I feel like a more reasonable and stable person. I still get anxious every day but I just feel a lot more in control of myself and my state of mind, and my self-talk is more effective than it used to be. I definitely recommend Prozac for anyone suffering from anxiety and panic attacks!!"

bettyboop (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 9, 2018