User Reviews for Prozac

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Prozac.

Prozac Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Prozac to treat Anxiety and Stress

"I was on prozac for about 3 months. It helped with my mood but did not help at all with anxiety. I tried increasing the dosage from 20 to 40 mg but after 3 weeks I had to stop because the side effects were too much ( increased anxiety, insomnia)."

Louloute January 17, 2018

"I had a severe panic attack in college and ended up being hospitalized. I was put on venlafaxine by my primary doctor and that was an absolute horrible experience. It made me feel super depressed to the point I wouldn’t do anything but sit on the couch and cry. Also I felt even more out of control when it came to my anxiety, and my brain felt as if it was always malfunctioning. I couldn’t think straight at all. Eventually I went to a psychiatrist and was put on Prozac (10mg), I don't remember having any major symptoms when I first started the medication but after a month I got bumped up to 15mg and thats when I actually started feeling at calm and at peace again. Don’t give up there’s always hope!"

Jo20 December 29, 2017

"Been on Prozac 6 weeks now. Developed PTSD, suicidal ideation, work stress+++, parent dying no warning. Life sucked in 2017. After several attempts with sertraline, Zoloft, Prozac, stuck with Prozac. Saved me from doing the unthinkable. On 20mg. Just cruising along, happy, content, started exercising, eating healthy. Life is great. Wife kids happy I’m back to normal."

JD68 December 28, 2017

"I was prescribe prozac when I was about 12 for severe anxiety and stayed on it for 3 years. During the time that I was on it, I had absolutely zero stress (I took 40mg a day). I was a whole other person, which is kinda scary when you think about it. However the withdrawals were absolutely terrible, I was depressed and was having major suicidal thoughts all summer long. That was a while ago, but now my anxiety is back as well as other mental issues. I’m supposed to get back on prozac in two days... it’s like when I'm on it and when I’m not are two different people."

Saturn5377 December 18, 2017

"I've just filled my 4th refill of Prozac and I'm very glad I stuck with it. I started suffering from GAD in June and I was a mess. I had thoughts of suicide, lost 30 lbs because I went days I couldn't eat. I struggled daily with anxiety, with my biggest fear being that I would have a panic attack that would not go away. When I first started on 20 mg, within a couple of weeks I could feel the medicine blocking the anxiety. But after about 4 weeks, it seemed to become ineffective. My doctor increased my dosage to 40 mg and after about 3 weeks I noticed a significant improvement in anxiety. The midnight panic attacks stopped. My appetite returned, and I no longer had constant thoughts of anxiety. There were side effects, but minor."

milky006 December 16, 2017

"I starred Prozac around 21 months ago. It really seems to help first couple if months except for the severe migraines. So my Dr added fiorcet. And it helped a lot. Until around Aug of this year I have been feeling out if control , mood swings, easily angered, I got hateful a lot. Suicidal thoughts are very common and I'm a recovering alcoholic but I've been wanting to get drunk bad. On Monday 11-27-17, my Dr changed my Prozac from 20mg twice daily to 40mg in morning and 20 mg at bedtime. My urge to drink has about doubled. I dislike this all, I used to be active and fit, did everything for my children and husband. Laundry , cooking, clean house. Shopping, and Now I'm disabled and don't have a life"

Helpless 74 November 29, 2017

"I'm 22 and I've had anxiety and some bad panic attacks for the past 2 years. I'm prescribed ativan (lorazapam) to take as needed. It helped a lot for traveling and definitely for shutting down panic attacks but it also gives you a lot of ups and downs. Its a benzo so it essentially just shuts you down and makes you pass out, it doesn't really help fix the problem. I talked to my doctor this summer about getting on an every day anxiety medicine and my mom takes prozac so I thought maybe it'll help me too. I started at 10 for a month and then increased to 20 for 2 months. I can honestly say I haven't had bad side effects at all but also it just felt like it wasn't doing anything. I just recently increased to 40 this month, hoping for the best!"

sarahjilly November 28, 2017

"I started this drug for depression and anxiety. The first 2 weeks at 10mg I actually felt fine but when my psychiatrist upped the dose to 20mg and then later to 30mg, I noticed it had intensified my anxiety, gave me suicidal thoughts, worsened my insomnia, and made my anger and moods unpredictable. I also felt like I was hallucinating all the time, I could focus on a wall and start seeing weird acid-like visuals. I never had that with any other med until I started Prozac. Doc has me trying Lexapro now, and bc I stopped taking Prozac the withdrawal has been awful. I am hoping Lexapro changes things. I took this med for 3-4 months overall."

Klee9984 November 7, 2017

"If you're reading this and have panic/anxiety attacks and are taking prozac, please don't quit with it. I'm on prozac 10mg for 6 weeks+ and the first few weeks were so BAD. My anxiety was worse, really bad hyperventilation attacks (almost daily), and the most two annoying things were the dizziness and the fatigue. I would feel sleepy all day while experiencing panic and anxiety. The fact that the body experiences this means that the meds were working, the symptoms of what I described got less worse by the week and at the 5 week mark I quit having panic/hyperventilation attacks. I still feel a bit of tired but I'm not even 2 months on the meds yet, don't let the early symptoms of the medication scare you."

X (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2017

"This medication was a game-changer for me. I've suffered from anxiety/OCD/depression my whole life, and for the first time it feels like I can handle what life throws at me. My anxious/intrusive thoughts still come, but they no longer ruin days/weeks/months. I was very nervous to start this medication because of reviews about side-effects, but I honesty believe that most people who come on these sites to write reviews are the exceptions who have bad reactions. The worst side effect I had was losing a little weight, while the best thing it did for me was probably saving my life."

OCD Anxiety Girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2017

"I was suffering from generalized anxiety disorder with some panic. It was a miserable situation and although I gutted it out for many years, I finally decided to try meds. My doctor prescribed Prozac, 10 mg initially. I'm not going to lie, those first couple of weeks were rough. It actually made me MORE anxious and pretty jittery. Sleep was not restful. But then just about the time I was going to give up (2-3 weeks into it) and try something else, I started feeling better. Eventually, I felt a LOT better. I now take 20 mg/daily and I feel like I got my life back. I don't think I realized how small my life had become until the anxiety abated. For someone who can gut out the initial few weeks, it is so worth it."

SammyMN (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 15, 2017

"I had the WORST reaction to this medicine. I was on 20mg and my body rejected it terribly. The first few days were fine and then after the 4th day or so I became very glazed over and out of it. It was as if I was a walking zombie. I then started waking up in the middle of the night having severe panic attacks. I had never had one before so I was very scared. My doctor told me to come off of it and the withdraw from this was even worse. I woke up in the middle of the night and had to go to the hospital. Overall I had a very negative experience but my mom takes this medicine and she loves it. Could just depend on the person I guess."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 17, 2017

"I was reluctant to go on an SSRI as I was concerned about weight gain and fatigue. However, I was in such a bad headspace back in the spring that I bit the bullet and saw my doctor about it. She prescribed me generic Prozac (fluoxetine). Initially I was on 10 mg, then worked up to 20 mg. It's made such a positive difference. I haven't had any near-panic attacks, and my anxiety feels much more manageable. Life feels easier. I've had some side effects, such as excessive yawning (and I mean excessive!), some mild nausea, and vivid dreams. To me, though, the benefits far outweigh them. I'm going to keep taking it and use the coping skills I learned in therapy."

Julian Paul (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2017

"Prozac worked great for me for about 2 years and then it quit being effective. Apparently this experience is so common it's even called "Prozac poop-out." At age 41 I started taking 10 mg daily, then increased to 20. For the first week or two I felt slightly nauseated and had trouble getting an erection. Then those side-effects vanished, and I felt not only happier but more functional (at the time I was a university professor). I wrote 2 published novels during those two years. A wonderful side-effect is that I gained total ejaculatory control. Suddenly I was the lover I'd always wanted to be! But after the Prozac honeymoon, I found myself feeling anxious and depressed again and the Prozac was just making me sleepy. So I quit. C'est la vie."

retired prof (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 1, 2017

"I was very scared of starting Prozac because of the reviews I read. I also had tried lexapro and had major panic attacks that made me go off of it. I have been on Prozac for 4 weeks and am just starting to feel the benefits. I feel I can think more clearly and am not living life in constant stress or fear. I wish I started in sooner. I feel so much better almost like "wow this is what life for non stresses people is like" Side effects I experienced: 2 days out of month felt more anxious then normal and have had a little nausea but hardly any. It's been great."

Kellyp8765 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2017

"I was prescribed 10mg fluoxetine for mild depression, mood swings, and anxiety due to menopause. ( Can not take HRT) The third day started to experience terrible diarrhea for two days. About the fifth day it was absolutely the worst crying I have ever felt. The feelings of despair where overwhelming. Needless to say I contacted my doctor and will not continue taking. Hope it works better for someone else trying it."

Juleen (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2017

"I started taking prozac in April of 2016 for anxiety and depression. It took about a month to actually start working. I feel better going into public and don't freak out and go into the bathroom. I'm still depressed but its improved so much. It gave me side effects like lose of appetite. I lost 10 pounds my first month taking it and I was always tired but had trouble falling asleep. Another negative is if I miss it a day I have painful headaches and lash out on everyone and treat them terrible."

bug. (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 6, 2017

"So I have always suffered from anxiety and I went to therapy for a while and my therapist suggested seeing a mental health nurse practitioner who can maybe set me up with something. She referred me to the doctor who prescribed me Prozac and it's been working great! I've been on it for about a month now. The first two weeks were a little rough, I was feeling more depressed and experienced a loss of appetite and even threw up a couple of times (though I'm not sure if that was the medicine or if I caught a stomach bug). However at about the 3rd week I started feeling great! I was much happier and more engaged at work. I've been feeling so good I'm starting to think I may have had depression. My only complaint is my sex drive is totally gone"

Anon2345 June 26, 2017

"So I'm on 20mg taken in the morning. To treat PTSD and OCD intrusive thoughts. I'm on 20mg taken in the morning. I'm on my 11th day. Today I woke up feeling extremely anxious. Border of a panic attack so I took half of a 0.5 lorazepam to take the edge off. I do notice that at times my intrusive thoughts and normal ones just race going back and forth. But physically I am calm. I'm not breaking down as easily which I have noticed improvement. This is why I'm hanging in there. And giving this a chance. I do notice something that has heightened, and that would be my urge to run and be outside. It's all fed by my anxiety that's why I don't let it bother me much. I have noticed that I am walking outdoors more often."

Juvelle (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2017

"It took about a month to work, but I no longer have severe anxiety when I am trying to sleep. I don't know how I went so long without it."

Chelsiedawn89 May 28, 2017

"Life changer"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) May 20, 2017

"I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety and panic attacks a few months ago and this medication has totally changed my life. I used to be in a near constant state of anxiety and panic, it got to the point that I was having frequent crippling panic attacks. I was prescribed prozac for anxiety and hydroxyzine for panic attacks. The prozac works so well the panic attacks were gone in a week, and I think I have only used the hydroxyzine a few times (it doesn't really work) I would like another medication for panic attacks (even though I rarely have them, I'd like to have it just in case) however prozac has been absolutely wonderful for anxiety."

renem112212 May 16, 2017

"I was diagnosed by my GP with postpartum depression/anxiety in September 2016 when my daughter was 10 months old. I started seeing a psychologist weekly and taking medication from the beginning of 2017. I have been taking a 10mg dose of Lovan (Prozac) each day for approximately 8 weeks now and over the past week I have noticed a big difference in my mental health. Sure, I still get those feelings of sadness from time to time, but not as frequently as I was. Prior to these past 8 weeks I was having thoughts of not wanting to be here anymore, and recently these thoughts are no longer haunting me. I hope to God I am only going to improve from here on in. My advice is, give the medication time to work! I am SO thankful I pushed through the bad days."

TaylahH93 May 15, 2017

"Personal experience: 1. Put up with the initial uncomfortable feelings of dizziness, increased anxiety, insomnia, lethargy, (the anxiety is usually your fears related to taking medicine and the 'what ifs', medicine alone can not make you think bad things. 2. After 2 weeks (yes I was one of the unlucky few who had very bad side effects for all that time but I stuck with it) the therapeutic effects start coming through eventually 3. Don't just assume medicine will make you completely happy, you still need to actively change your life to fix the root causes of anxiety or depression i.e do mediation, quit drinking, do CBT, take up exercise, see a therapist, be around people more."

Tomtom82 April 19, 2017

"I should have been on this sooner. I'm a 26 year old recent law school graduate enduring the bar exam- unfortunately twice. My first round of studying I was crying daily, couldn't sleep, was irritable, extremely depressed, anxious- I am normally these things, but it was heightened by the bar exam. My first time taking the exam, I didn't come close to finishing the exam on the second day. I was crying and couldn't control my panic attacks. Second round of studying for the test, I decided to see a psychiatrist who gave me Prozac. I love it. I feel like a normal person. A better version of who I was. I feel even, I don't have panic attacks, don't cry, I feel great."

Tammy6789 April 9, 2017