User Reviews for Prozac

Learn more about Prozac.

Prozac Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Prozac to treat Anxiety and Stress

"This is my 4th review since 2014. Prozac has almost completely eliminated my anxiety episodes. Weight loss ceased some time ago and I gained weight back most likely due to drinking. Appetite is normal, bowel movements are more normal than ever-sorry, but when I had severe anxiety that was a big problem. I can speak in large group settings with no problem, travel without issues and deal with stressful situations effectively. Overall, I feel great with no side effects. Cons: Drinking can be an issue. Definitely drink moderately, eat before drinking and drink plenty of water. Alcohol can sneak up on you and cause drowsiness or blackouts. Believe me I know......."

wickedsmile March 20, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This was prescribed for my 14-year-old's anxiety/depression and panic attacks. It turned our lives upside down, my daughter was on it for three terrible weeks. It increased her anxiety and the severity of her panic attacks by a lot. The black box warning happened, my daughter was suicidal on several occasions. We did gene testing during this time (Genomind) and it showed she would have an adverse reaction to it. Took her off of it and within two days she felt much better. Genetic testing should be protocol for all doctors prescribing these meds, and please be cautious giving your teenager anti-depressants."

Never Prozac Again for Us (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Hello All, I decided to post my experience with Prozac to support others as well. I was suffering from extreme anxiety and panic attacks. Prior to this I had no prior history from my mental disorders, so this was all new to me.. ( it was also interfering with my life, work, social life) I decided to see a psychiatrist. She Recommended Prozac. The first 4 weeks it was really tough. I had really bad nausea, I had constant headaches, I felt like my brain was being rewired, I felt out of it, I couldn't sleep well. Once I hit the 5th week and beyond everything started getting better, I have been on for 4 Months on Prozac and I feel like my old self, I feel normal again and all the symptoms are gone and the anxiety and panic attacks are gone."

LILYF March 7, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been suffering from anxiety and paranoia for about 6 months now. The past month has been extreme with constant thought that I'm going to die, when health wise I'm perfectly fine besides needing to lose a few pounds. It has gotten to the point where every ache and pain makes me think something is wrong with me and that I'm going to die. I fear being alone with my 8 months old the most. I fear something will happen to me and nobody will know and my baby will be alone in the house until daddy gets home. I tried almost everything except medicine because I am scared of side effects. Prescribed fluoxetine 20mg. I've had the prescription for 2 weeks and been holding off. I finally gave in and started today. Your posts give me hope."

MIC89 February 16, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Prozac (10mg) worked great for my depressive symptoms- I had energy and was motivated. I had no issues with weight gain or my sex drive. It did however, significantly increase my anxiety- I had scary obsessive, intrusive thoughts, along with bad episodes of panic that came out of nowhere. I was scared to drive, go over bridges- there was always this fear of "what if?" Everything that I could be anxious about, I was. I had a very difficult time quieting my mind, and at times I thought i was going crazy. Very scary experience overall. For those suffering from depression, Im sure this RX is a God-send, but much too "speedy" for my body."

Anonymous February 3, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was prescribed prozac generic 20 mg 2 weeks ago by my doctor. I had a rough patch with a family member which led to extreme anxiety/OCD, I had panic attacks and left work on several ocassions. This led to depression, felt like surrounded by a dark cloud. I am male in my late 30's and never suffered with this before so it really scared me. I thought I was going crazy. Finally decided to get help after 2 months. I was very nervous to take after some reviews.It's been 2 weeks and I feel SO much better. Is seemed like 1 day I woke up and the depression and anxiety just faded. I had some side effects for first 5 days...mental fogginess, drowsiness, headache, waking up early but all went away. hope this helps and stick with it!! exercise helps too."

thegoldstandard1981 January 20, 2017

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I started taking Prozac 9 weeks ago after Mirtazapine stopped working. I was suffering with bad OCD, anxiety and panic attacks on a daily basis. When I first started on the medication, I thought it would be a miracle drug, however the side effects were horrendous. For 7 solid weeks I was a mess, I was depressed (I dont even suffer with depression) I was crying at my desk all the time, I had horrible thoughts, crippling anxiety, would not leave my house or talk to anyone the only thing that would get me through the day was Diazapam. I am on 40mg and after 7 weeks it was like a light turned on and I have been 'normal' for 2 weeks straight, I am so happy I stuck with it. I know it's hard but trust me it's worth it."

Jodeyxo December 29, 2016

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I began taking Prozac about 10 years ago for generalized anxiety disorder and prescribed my family physician. I took 10 mg for awhile and then increased to about 20mg. During this time on Prozac I experienced TMJ which I had never had before. I used to dream of novacaine shots to get rid of the pain. I took a break from Prozac and the tmj disappeared. But I never connected the Prozac with tmj. Dr didn't and dentist didn't. Fast forward to now. Back on Prozac. Back with Tmj. :( Loved Prozac. Got rid of my ruminating thoughts and anxiety. I would give it a ten except for the tmj. Giving Zoloft a try. Hopefully no tmj."

Ghost girl December 29, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have had severe anxiety all my life sweaty hands, sweaty feet, shaky feel like your vibrating inside dizzy light-headed it is an awful way to live and until I was an adult with kids of my own. l had no treatment but now I have literally tried every depression and anxiety medication there is and Prozac has helped me the most without unbearable side effects."

hope12 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 19, 2016

49 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Hi everyone, I experienced extreme anxiety which then lead to panic disorder. It sounds like it basically started from built up stress but, let me tell you my story as I want people to feel more comfortable and understand what's going on as I have done extensive research on the issue. First, anxiety and panic disorder are awful. You feel like you can't breathe, that you're having a heart attack, you get dizzy, you feel off balance, you get sweaty hands and feet, you're not comfortable and always anxious, sometimes you even feel that you're legs are going to give out. If the above feels like you well I took Prozac and honestly it saved me. "

Fightanxietyforever (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2016

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks for the past few months. The doctor started me on buspirone but it didn't help. I tried lexapro and couldn't take the side effects. I just stated Prozac 10 mg this week. So far no side effects. I just hope it helps soon. My anxiety was bad today. I have anxiety everyday. Just curious if anyone shakes with their anxiety? I just started shaking about a week ago and when I get nervous, it is worse."

#tired01 December 9, 2016

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was going through a breakdown and eating healthy and working out but still life was a mess and I couldn't cope so my PCP prescribed this to get me through. I lost a bunch of weight, fine because I was a tad chunky and became numb to so many things but I was able to cope better and I had a bunch of energy. I couldn't sleep but it was okay with my 75 hour work week. It was hard to concentrate on my medical studies because I would get confused a lot but overall I adjusted and I would get on it again. Getting off it was smooth."

Audriauna-all-day (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2016

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Ok, I felt better two days in to treatment. Then, a week in, I am calm. Two weeks in, still calm. Just even. Finally. I've struggled with rapid heartbeats, sweating, panic, fear, talking too fast, gasping for breath because I have so much anxiety, and just a general uncomfortable feeling my whole life. Of course Xanax and meds like that worked, but when they wore off the anxiety would come back worse. This drug Prozac? Like, why didn't I try it earlier. I've been on many other antidepressants and only Cymbalta came close. On 20 mg and my headaches and muscle tension are also reduced. I hope this lasts. The only side effects: early waking, and waking up a few times at night, but I just take some Benadryl and I sleep through the night"

ZoeMushka10 (taken for less than 1 month) November 30, 2016

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This was the second antidepressant I tried, worked great for a few months be then it went downhill fast. I stop shortly after it got really bad, however Prozac withdrawal is one of the most emotionally and physically challenging things I've ever done. I do not advise people with even slightly addictive habits to take this, I truely do not like this med, at all, but maybe it works for some people."

Sadboi November 18, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been on meds for depression, anxiety and pmdd for over 10 years. Even on Zoloft I would cry at work all the time over little things, take everything personally, Finally, there was a suicidal ideation breaking point for me and I went off Zoloft and on Prozac 20 mg. Within a few days, I felt the depression and sadness lifting. 2 months later, still not depressed. My psychiatrist just upped my Prozac to 30 mg and I'm having trouble sleeping through the night. Overall I feel less emotions and don't care as much about work and other things. I don't react strongly to anything. However, I'm tired a lot and feel much less motivated in all areas of my life. It's better than being depressed &stressed."

Jenn2017 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 1, 2016

46 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"With all medications my G.P. gives me daily, is a good reason to try Prozac, I have no days without stress, scared of some health problems, that might kill me, such as brain aneurysm, had 2 surgeries for it, and survived both, first one had less than 50% of surviving, as aneurysm started bleeding, was under for 5 hours, to a coiled process, taking 8 different medication at night and 5 in morning, to help combat diabetic type two, to chronic leg wound open for past 21 years. Scared of everything I do, as stress alone can trigger another brain aneurysm, and I need to stress out, my G.P. freaks out every time I want to try different drugs to ease tension, I smoke marijuana, was licensed by Government, but quit after a year, could write more,.."

Bearminator (taken for 10 years or more) October 26, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"For anyone who is hesitant about trying an anti depressant like Prozac because maybe you have too much pride, or you're embarassed that you have to take a pill everyday to feel like yourself. I was suffering with anxiety and depression for about 5 years after a really traumatic car accident and refused to try anything. I'm in my early 20s I thought I was too young. I only wished I would've listened to my body and mind sooner. Prozac changed my life. I only take 20mg and it is incredible. I feel happy.. I feel calm. I feel like my old self. I haven't had any anxiety in months.. I'm not moody. It's like that big dark cloud is finally gone, don't be afraid to try this anti depressant. Im a brand new Me, because of it. I feel invincible"

ChristinaM872 October 6, 2016

224 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Prozac 10mg Changing my life, one day @ a time!! LOVE it!!"

ColetteAdele September 28, 2016

57 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have had to come off Fluoxetine due to severe pains in my back , hips and legs. It's been 4 weeks and still getting the pain. So worried I've damaged myself for good. Don't know what to do ! Doctor has put me on Naproxen for the pain, but how long do I take this for!? , has anyone else experienced this? Every time I come off naproxen I get the pain straight back again. Making me so unhappy."

Jojo woo September 3, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Hello! I just started back on 40mg Prozac for the second time. I originally started taking it last summer for anxiety. I more so like to call it situational anxiety (single mom working my butt off trying to raise my daughter). I think anyone would have stress in my shoes. I've pushed past that all now. It helped with the anxiety, but it really helps with weight loss. I lost about 20 lbs. Went off the meds (no withdrawals) and weight slowly crept back on. My brother is getting married in a couple months and I want to look my best and shed a few pounds. Honestly, Prozac doesn't effect my brain much. Food taste different tho. I have a hard time having an orgasm. Worth the sacrifice for now. Other than that perfect pill for me for weight loss."

Cheyzam (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2016

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This medication is very useful and helpful in my opinion for depression but on the other hand it does not work nearly as well for anxiety. Would recommend for someone with depression but not for someone with anxiety."

Sweetgirlmeg August 24, 2016

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was placed on the generic of Prozac 6 weeks ago. I have social anxiety (always have) and my doctor told me that it was related to an OCD/depression and could possibly be PTSD. All of this confused me but made sense at the same time because I have always suspected all of these. She told me prozac would greatly help with my anxiety problems. Since being on prozac the only changes I have really noticed are extreme fatigue during the day, lessened appetite (which is good because I have been overeating for a while), and I feel like it has helped my relationship a bit. I don't seem to get as agitated as fast (but i have bad days sometimes). I do however feel like I zone out a lot now and forget what I'm saying sometimes."

NursC16 July 30, 2016

54 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Well my diagnosis is hard to explain... The doctor says that I'm bipolar but in all actuality I'm on a bad high. I'm always extremely hyper (or anxious) but have all the symptoms of depression! I have lack of concentration and I am not able to keep things in my head straight, like starting one thing before finishing the other. I am now on day 12 of 20mg and almost instantly I could tell a difference when I started talking it. But mind you I'm also on deprekote and at the same time he upped that dosage by 500mg! But I'm so much calmer now and I am feeling so much better. And I'm in this for the long haul. The side affects were very minimal for me, out of 12 days just two days my stomach has hurt but the others I really felt very full ."

Kb67 (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2016

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I am 25 years old and I have been dealing with anxiety and depression for most of my life. My GP prescribed me Fluoxetine 20mg and I have been taking it for 2 months now. I could see results within the first 2 weeks - things that bothered me everyday were slowly diminishing. It's not like they weren't in the back of my mind but it's almost like a wall was keeping me from thinking about those issues excessively. Essentially I don't care about petty things anymore and I am genuinely happy now! I still have anxiety/panic attacks but they are not as extreme as they once were. I did have side effects initially: indigestion, headache, fatigue, weakness, yawning, loss of appetite, and nausea. Those have diminished greatly now."

knew4897 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2016

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This medication did not work for me at all. It could possibly be because I don't metabolize SSRI's very well but I could not feel any sort of change when on this. It helped a little with my minor OCD which I why I stayed on it for so long but after awhile it just triggered what my doctor said was an underlying mood disorder because I started flip flopping between being content or even emotionless, and being severely depressed. This medication did not help me but I'm not going to say it wouldn't work for other people. I just couldn't take the side effects."

Sydney8445 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 28, 2016