User Reviews for Prozac (Page 3)

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Prozac.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder

7.3

Postpartum Depression

Summary of Prozac reviews 7.7 650 reviews

Reviews for Prozac

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "14 days on 20mg. I am edgy and wobbly, no appetite, forced myself to eat, so I am eating less. Taking advantage of that because I am also a diabetic and hard to go to sleep. I am sticking with the medicine. Have some relief of bad thoughts. Hope it gets better."

6521L May 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety and panic attacks a few months ago and this medication has totally changed my life. I used to be in a near constant state of anxiety and panic, it got to the point that I was having frequent crippling panic attacks. I was prescribed prozac for anxiety and hydroxyzine for panic attacks. The prozac works so well the panic attacks were gone in a week, and I think I have only used the hydroxyzine a few times (it doesn't really work) I would like another medication for panic attacks (even though I rarely have them, I'd like to have it just in case) however prozac has been absolutely wonderful for anxiety."

renem112212 May 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I was diagnosed by my GP with postpartum depression/anxiety in September 2016 when my daughter was 10 months old. I started seeing a psychologist weekly and taking medication from the beginning of 2017. I have been taking a 10mg dose of Lovan (Prozac) each day for approximately 8 weeks now and over the past week I have noticed a big difference in my mental health. Sure, I still get those feelings of sadness from time to time, but not as frequently as I was. Prior to these past 8 weeks I was having thoughts of not wanting to be here anymore, and recently these thoughts are no longer haunting me. I hope to God I am only going to improve from here on in. My advice is, give the medication time to work! I am SO thankful I pushed through the bad days."

TaylahH93 May 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "After years on duloxetine for major depression and degenerative osteoarthritis, a new psyche doctor had me try Effexor (terrifying effects). Bad trip. He had been having me take Prozac while I was weaning off duloxetine because it mitigates the withdrawal syndrome from duloxetine, and I felt better than I had in 10 years. After the near-suicide because of Effexor, I asked if we could just stick with Prozac but increase the dose. I prefer it because I feel like ME, not some drugged-out, flattened-emotion version of me. I still can get happy, sad, mad, chill, relaxed, etc. Many anti-depressants eliminate that ability, which I find unbearable personally. I take 20mg once per day in the morning, and it has given me my life back again."

Badkittym (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I was prescribed Prozac last year for depression and OCD. The first three days taking it were hard for me. My depression worsened and I was having terrifying nightmares every night. I went back to my doctor, explained to him how I was feeling and I was immediately taken off and switched to something else. Everyone reacts differently to different medications, but make sure you tell your doctor if your depression worsens or you feel more anxious or have nightmares.. The nightmares every single night was what made my doctor know that Prozac wasn't for me.. Even if it's supposed to take 2-3 weeks, or however many, to kick in, make sure you tell your doctor you're not feeling well!! Let them decide what the best decision is for you. :)"

kyliebm May 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I am twenty six years old and have suffered from significant depression since I was a child. For years I just dealt with it always going from one crisis to another. I've had a handful of suicide attempts starting from my early teens to young adult years. I would especially have trouble during the two weeks leading up to my period. Crying episodes and just an overall feeling of depression. I was put on Prozac about three years ago and it has made a world of difference. I'm happy again and able to function to my best ability, I'm focused and driven. Sometimes I forget to take it and the depression comes back. But as long as I'm taking my daily dose as prescribed, I'm great!"

MadiMadi (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "This is a great drug. I was on Paxil for about 5 years. It helped, but wore off. I switched to Prozac and had no side effects. My energy returned, I stopped over eating and napping. The 'fogginess' has cleared."

BeMaRe May 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder "Tried Zoloft and lexapro but had stomach problem side effects for months. I tried the generic Prozac 20 mg and had a month of horrible side effects until 6 weeks it finally worked. Helps so much, no attacks and only have a little anxiety once in a while. Worth it!!!!"

Buzz91 April 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder "Hello all, It is April 20th 2017. I started taking prozac in January 2017. I hated prozac. I was never depressed in the first place to begin with. My psychiatrist prescribed me the pills. They did not work for me. I have not been taking the pills since April 17th. So its been 3 days and I feel better and beginning to be back to my normal ways and more alert and less depressed. I have read online that people who stopped taking it feels good at first then it starts to kick in like emotions and stuff trying to get it out of ur system. I guess withdrawal? But I couldn't do prozac anymore. Made me VERY depressed and annoyed all the time. Didn't work for me"

Tiamani April 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "Personal experience: 1. Put up with the initial uncomfortable feelings of dizziness, increased anxiety, insomnia, lethargy, (the anxiety is usually your fears related to taking medicine and the 'what ifs', medicine alone can not make you think bad things. 2. After 2 weeks (yes I was one of the unlucky few who had very bad side effects for all that time but I stuck with it) the therapeutic effects start coming through eventually 3. Don't just assume medicine will make you completely happy, you still need to actively change your life to fix the root causes of anxiety or depression i.e do mediation, quit drinking, do CBT, take up exercise, see a therapist, be around people more."

Tomtom82 April 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I was surprised to feel lightly speedy my first dose as I heard the serotonin has to accumulate in the body. I had a major head injury in July 1998. I have memory and attention to details problem. Intellectually I'm fine. I notice my attention to detail has changed for the better. Naturally the memory problem caused by damage to the hippocampus is still there and might be somewhat ameliorated, but I am having that tested later this month to compare my score with older testing. Otherwise my impression might be subjective reflecting wishful thinking. I like this medication and hope it stays effective."

Anni_Mc April 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I'm 18 and have suffered from major anxiety and depression causing frequent panic attacks for roughly two years. I've been on Prozac for four nights now and whilst it is to early to tell if the drug will help me, I am experiencing some side effects. In the last four nights I've had about eight hours of sleep and constant head aches. On my first day I felt drowsey and unfocused and after that I think it was a combination of depression, Prozac and lack of sleep. I'm hoping these will wear off in time like I've been told but don't know if they will come back again (if they go away at all) if my GP ups my dosage from 1/2 a tablet to 1 a night. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this but I plan to ask my GP at my next appointment."

Insomnia101 (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I should have been on this sooner. I'm a 26 year old recent law school graduate enduring the bar exam- unfortunately twice. My first round of studying I was crying daily, couldn't sleep, was irritable, extremely depressed, anxious- I am normally these things, but it was heightened by the bar exam. My first time taking the exam, I didn't come close to finishing the exam on the second day. I was crying and couldn't control my panic attacks. Second round of studying for the test, I decided to see a psychiatrist who gave me Prozac. I love it. I feel like a normal person. A better version of who I was. I feel even, I don't have panic attacks, don't cry, I feel great."

Tammy6789 April 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I was prescribed 2-3 weeks ago...was so happy to finally have something I thought would help prescribed to me. I tried it for two days...felt my depression/scary scenarios get worse, so I stopped. Depression was still there but not as bad as it is when I am on the pill. I took it again to see if it will finally work this time...it's my 3rd day, still feeling worse but I'm trying to wait for it to work because I've read it works after 2-3 weeks. So I hope it helps... :/"

MissLR April 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Young male early 20s. I suffer from major depression as well as anxiety. I tried 20mg Prozac only because it supposedly gives people more energy. The first 1-2 weeks I experienced side effects such as extreme fatigue and increased anxiety. After 2-3 weeks I began to feel better, however, it worked until it seemed to stop after about a month. It still helped relieve my symptoms slightly, but I had returning feelings of fear, panic, negativity etc and never felt more energized. I stopped taking it and after 3 days immediately felt much better. I ended up switching back to 10mg Lexapro because it worked great for me. Prozac helped somewhat, but for those who struggle mostly with depression/anxiety, I'd try more selective SSRIs personally."

RainyDay423 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I used prozac in the past for 3-9 months twice and had no side effects apart from some headache for a few weeks. Now I have been on it again for 3 weeks and this time I am suffering SEVERE side effects. Physical ones include heavy fogginess/head pressure, sleeplessness, muscle tension, blurred vision and loss of appetite and weight loss. Mentally I have also worsened. Anxiety is really high, especially in the mornings, feelings of hopelessness an inability to cope with life, suicidal thoughts (that I never really had before), inability to focus/read and feel motivated. Now at 3 weeks I have some moments in the afternoon of feeling calmer but it is rather unpleasant numbness. I hope it improves going forward, but it has been very tough."

lulondon (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I am a different person when I'm on this, and in a good way. It helps me keep stable. The first time I was on it, I got really sick and felt terrible. I tried it again on a lower dose and built my way up and now I'm doing well on it!"

deehee (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bulimia "Has not worked for my belumia. I still throw up almost every meal. I don't throw up after taking it because I know I need it."

deehee (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "This is my 4th review since 2014. Prozac has almost completely eliminated my anxiety episodes. Weight loss ceased some time ago and I gained weight back most likely due to drinking. Appetite is normal, bowel movements are more normal than ever-sorry, but when I had severe anxiety that was a big problem. I can speak in large group settings with no problem, travel without issues and deal with stressful situations effectively. Overall, I feel great with no side effects. Cons: Drinking can be an issue. Definitely drink moderately, eat before drinking and drink plenty of water. Alcohol can sneak up on you and cause drowsiness or blackouts. Believe me I know......."

wickedsmile March 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "after about 3 weeks on prozac, or as I like to call it CRAPZAC. I was more depressed than ever before. Before crapzac I had only considered suicide a few times, But after my 4th week I actually attempted it. Thankfully my sister found me and brought me to the hospital, where they asked if i had been on any medication, and ordered me to stop taking it. And I was trapped at the hospital in the psych ward for 9 days, having 2 sessions with the counsellor every day, strapped down to my bed for the first few days, and not allowed to use the bathroom for 2 days, this stuff made my life into a living hell. After being released, I have now started seeing a therapist and now I've been practicing yoga and meditation, with no meds, and I feel great"

sallygally (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "This was prescribed for my 14-year-old's anxiety/depression and panic attacks. It turned our lives upside down, my daughter was on it for three terrible weeks. It increased her anxiety and the severity of her panic attacks by a lot. The black box warning happened, my daughter was suicidal on several occasions. We did gene testing during this time (Genomind) and it showed she would have an adverse reaction to it. Took her off of it and within two days she felt much better. Genetic testing should be protocol for all doctors prescribing these meds, and please be cautious giving your teenager anti-depressants."

Never Prozac Again for Us (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "Hello All, I decided to post my experience with Prozac to support others as well. I was suffering from extreme anxiety and panic attacks. Prior to this I had no prior history from my mental disorders, so this was all new to me.. ( it was also interfering with my life, work, social life) I decided to see a psychiatrist. She Recommended Prozac. The first 4 weeks it was really tough. I had really bad nausea, I had constant headaches, I felt like my brain was being rewired, I felt out of it, I couldn't sleep well. Once I hit the 5th week and beyond everything started getting better, I have been on for 4 Months on Prozac and I feel like my old self, I feel normal again and all the symptoms are gone and the anxiety and panic attacks are gone."

LILYF March 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I am a male early 20s, I suffer from major depression, anxiety and occasional panic. I started Prozac 20mg and now in my 5th week of treatment. The first 2 weeks I felt no relief, suffered from side effects such as fatigue, anxiety, and disrupted sleep patterns. Beginning of the 3rd week I began to feel a noticeable difference. My thoughts became less negative, I just felt less depressed/anxious than usual, and side effects have almost gone away. Then into my 3rd/4th week I began to feel better and better each day. It seems much more gradual than other antidepressants. Now into my 5th week I do feel MUCH better. However, it is still early for me and I have had 1 set back caused by excessive alcohol/marijuana use. Overall, stick with it!"

MDA51 (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "It has really helped my depression. I used to cry a lot, not want to do anything. I'm much calmer about stressful things & less irritable. I thank God for this medication & the who started me on my meds!"

Jensue February 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Admittedly, when I started Prozac and up until I stopped taking it, I was not very honest with my therapist on my emotional state, so I never changed medication despite it's lack of effect on me. I was taking it to help with my depression and anxiety, and it didn't help with either. It didn't have any negative effects on me, but it didn't have any positive effects either. I had started at 10 mg, went up to 20 mg, and finally 40 mg. For each one, it seemed to help at first but wouldn't after around two weeks. Although it wasn't right for me, I know that it's been quite helpful to friends of mine and it wouldn't hurt to try it out yourself."

Anonnie (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 23, 2017