User Reviews for Prozac (Page 3)

Bulimia

7.2

Postpartum Depression

Summary of Prozac reviews 7.5 705 reviews

Reviews for Prozac

For Anxiety and Stress "I've just filled my 4th refill of Prozac and I'm very glad I stuck with it. I started suffering from GAD in June and I was a mess. I had thoughts of suicide, lost 30 lbs because I went days I couldn't eat. I struggled daily with anxiety, with my biggest fear being that I would have a panic attack that would not go away. When I first started on 20 mg, within a couple of weeks I could feel the medicine blocking the anxiety. But after about 4 weeks, it seemed to become ineffective. My doctor increased my dosage to 40 mg and after about 3 weeks I noticed a significant improvement in anxiety. The midnight panic attacks stopped. My appetite returned, and I no longer had constant thoughts of anxiety. There were side effects, but minor."

milky006 December 16, 2017

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder "After years of suffering I decided to try mess again for my PMDD. Zoloft made me feel like a zombie and my body had many side effects to Prozac. I had electric shocks in my brain, paranoia which I don't normally have, feeling out of it/forgetful, anxious, dry eyes, moody, thought people were plotting against me and my depression got worse. On top of all that I went from being 5' 11 and 155 pounds to weighing 195lb in ONE month without changing my eating habits!! My doc convinced me to give it some time for the med to work so stayed on it for 3 months-wish I quit sooner. I have now been off of it since Feb but still feel slight effects of the Prozac. Eventually Wellbutrin ended up helping me tremendously so I have stayed on that."

Susanlo December 3, 2017

For Anxiety and Stress "I starred Prozac around 21 months ago. It really seems to help first couple if months except for the severe migraines. So my Dr added fiorcet. And it helped a lot. Until around Aug of this year I have been feeling out if control , mood swings, easily angered, I got hateful a lot. Suicidal thoughts are very common and I'm a recovering alcoholic but I've been wanting to get drunk bad. On Monday 11-27-17, my Dr changed my Prozac from 20mg twice daily to 40mg in morning and 20 mg at bedtime. My urge to drink has about doubled. I dislike this all, I used to be active and fit, did everything for my children and husband. Laundry , cooking, clean house. Shopping, and Now I'm disabled and don't have a life"

Helpless 74 November 29, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "Prozac is my happy pill, it took me forever to find something that works, but this is definitely mine!! I was beginning to be skeptical that anything would work.. Effexor and Prestiq was what I was put on before this, and that was a nightmare... This makes me think more clearly and see things in a different perspective, I see the good in life, and I don't get so easily upset over everything anymore, and if I do get bothered by something, I get over it in seconds... Helps with my social anxiety as well.. I've noticed I'm more talkative, and can deal with being around people better, before I was so badly depressed with possible bipolar or personality disorder.. I'm finally getting to know myself as a person and am much happier now."

Blondebabe22 (taken for less than 1 month) November 29, 2017

For Anxiety and Stress "I'm 22 and I've had anxiety and some bad panic attacks for the past 2 years. I'm prescribed ativan (lorazapam) to take as needed. It helped a lot for traveling and definitely for shutting down panic attacks but it also gives you a lot of ups and downs. Its a benzo so it essentially just shuts you down and makes you pass out, it doesn't really help fix the problem. I talked to my doctor this summer about getting on an every day anxiety medicine and my mom takes prozac so I thought maybe it'll help me too. I started at 10 for a month and then increased to 20 for 2 months. I can honestly say I haven't had bad side effects at all but also it just felt like it wasn't doing anything. I just recently increased to 40 this month, hoping for the best!"

sarahjilly November 28, 2017

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "Used to read these over and over when I contemplating "obsessing" over whether or not to take the medication. Prozac has given me my life back. Life is no longer a struggle just to enjoy. It is not a miracle drug, you still have to put in the work, therapy really helps. But at times when I feel a wave of anxiety come over me that used to last 3-4 days/sleepless nights, I can almost feel the medication working. And next thing I know I'm 100 steps down the road from that worry. Some side effects in beginning with up dosing such as headaches and not getting full nights sleep but all have passed and I can only say the only side effect is I feel so good I forgot to take my Prozac. Get your life back and just try it!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2017

For Depression "This medicine does wonders. I am a 27 year old male who suffered from severe cyclical depression. This drug, (also known as fluoxetine when I get it cheaper), did wonders for my outlook and disposition of the world. It feels as if a solid barrier has been thrown up in my mind against things which would otherwise stress me out or cause depression. It also has a profound stabilizing effect in general on mood, thoughts, and feelings. I am deeply thankful for this drug. I would suggest trying it if you are reading this and suffer from these conditions."

Nephi November 14, 2017

For Depression "I have been taking prozac for the past 7 weeks. I have always been a worrier but it got a lot worse during 2nd semester of my first year in medical school. Despite my anxiety and depression I was always a straight A student. I had great study skills and I had great concentration. But I started fearing studying and going to classes because it usually triggers my anxiety. So I just stopped doing school work and I just slept. My parents stated getting worried and they took me to see a psychiatrist. He put me on prozac (20mg). Prozac really helped me at first. I watched movies and spent a lot of time with my siblings but my academic performance was bad. Since then it has gotten worse. Should I just withdraw? Should I give up my dream?"

tutusha November 12, 2017

For Anxiety and Stress "I started this drug for depression and anxiety. The first 2 weeks at 10mg I actually felt fine but when my psychiatrist upped the dose to 20mg and then later to 30mg, I noticed it had intensified my anxiety, gave me suicidal thoughts, worsened my insomnia, and made my anger and moods unpredictable. I also felt like I was hallucinating all the time, I could focus on a wall and start seeing weird acid-like visuals. I never had that with any other med until I started Prozac. Doc has me trying Lexapro now, and bc I stopped taking Prozac the withdrawal has been awful. I am hoping Lexapro changes things. I took this med for 3-4 months overall."

Klee9984 November 7, 2017

For Anxiety and Stress "If you're reading this and have panic/anxiety attacks and are taking prozac, please don't quit with it. I'm on prozac 10mg for 6 weeks+ and the first few weeks were so BAD. My anxiety was worse, really bad hyperventilation attacks (almost daily), and the most two annoying things were the dizziness and the fatigue. I would feel sleepy all day while experiencing panic and anxiety. The fact that the body experiences this means that the meds were working, the symptoms of what I described got less worse by the week and at the 5 week mark I quit having panic/hyperventilation attacks. I still feel a bit of tired but I'm not even 2 months on the meds yet, don't let the early symptoms of the medication scare you."

X (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2017

For Panic Disorder "I have taken Prozac 20 and 40mg quite a few years ago with really positive outcome, but at a point it stopped working so I went to welbutrin. recently I started to get panic again and my doctor thought adding Prozac into my daily regimen would help because it worked so well in the past. The side effects were so difficult for 3 weeks. crying, unable to eat, anxiety every minute, lost about 10 pounds which was a good side effect :). but they did subside. It seemed to be working but now some days I am having anxiety again and tremors daily. Unfortunately it isn't working this time around and will be switching off it, but I would definitely recommend it for people since it did once work wonderfully for my panic and GAD."

Cheryl2280 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 27, 2017

For Panic Disorder "Took Paxil for the past 5 years for anxiety/depression/panic. Stopped it 1 year ago to pursue pregnancy. I did well for the 1st 6-8 mos but then began to fall apart. Anxiety, panic attacks, depression all returned. I was put on Prozac because it's pregnancy friendly about 1 week ago. I've had the worst reflux/heartburn I've ever had in my life. I take the pill at night because it made me sleepy the 1st day when I took it in the morning. I'm currently on day 8, the reflux is slightly better but I have increased anxiety/panic. I hadn't had this the 1st week. Does anyone have an similar stories? I appreciate feedback. I'm not sure whether to stick it out on Prozac or switch to a different med."

DippyLee (taken for less than 1 month) October 24, 2017

For Anxiety and Stress "This medication was a game-changer for me. I've suffered from anxiety/OCD/depression my whole life, and for the first time it feels like I can handle what life throws at me. My anxious/intrusive thoughts still come, but they no longer ruin days/weeks/months. I was very nervous to start this medication because of reviews about side-effects, but I honesty believe that most people who come on these sites to write reviews are the exceptions who have bad reactions. The worst side effect I had was losing a little weight, while the best thing it did for me was probably saving my life."

OCD Anxiety Girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2017

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I started Prozac for severe Harm OCD and social anxiety and mood swings from age 11 until 19. Initially 20 mg kept my intrusive thoughts at bay, however My anxiety remained. Every few years following I would require an increase in medication; and with every increase I became more numb, agitated, argumentative and arrogant. I stopped caring about everything. I couldn't cry when family member died, I couldn't have crushes on girls, low sexual desire, I developed severe TMJ and was living on autopilot. This drug made me care about nothing. At age 19 I developed PSSD (Post SSRI Sexual dysfunction). It took me 6 months off medications with complete impotence to get weak sexual function back and I'm only 19. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy:("

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 4, 2017

For Depression "I was going through a very deep and dark depression for several months. Prozac was the very anti-depressant to work for me. After about 2 weeks, I could tell the medication was really working. I wasn't having constant OCD related circling thoughts that made my depression worse and I wasn't on the verge of crying every second. This pill is a MIRACLE for me. No side effects, maybe weight gain but I'm also eating again when before I was barely eating and dropped 10 lbs. Definitely take the medication at night because it'll make you tired if you take it in the morning."

Ash 1989 October 2, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "Hi good people. I have been on Prozac (Fluoxetine) since 2000. I started with 20 mg, then 40 & now 60mg. I am also taking Navalpro 300mg, twice a day. Prozac is the only meds that has made me function as a "normal" person after being correctly diagnosed as having major depression. When I 1st desperately looked for help, my anxiety was unbearable. Prozac killed 2 birds with 1 stone-depression & anxiety. I had a rollercoaster journey, being prescribed other antidepressants together with Prozac. I have come to accept that the benefits outweigh the side effects. However, weight gain I have not accepted & am trying my best to watch calories & move around more often -"

Vaise59 (taken for 10 years or more) September 25, 2017

For Anxiety and Stress "I was suffering from generalized anxiety disorder with some panic. It was a miserable situation and although I gutted it out for many years, I finally decided to try meds. My doctor prescribed Prozac, 10 mg initially. I'm not going to lie, those first couple of weeks were rough. It actually made me MORE anxious and pretty jittery. Sleep was not restful. But then just about the time I was going to give up (2-3 weeks into it) and try something else, I started feeling better. Eventually, I felt a LOT better. I now take 20 mg/daily and I feel like I got my life back. I don't think I realized how small my life had become until the anxiety abated. For someone who can gut out the initial few weeks, it is so worth it."

SammyMN (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 15, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "My doctor switched me from Cymbalta to Prozac after the Cymbalta didn't seem to be working for me any longer. I started out taking 10mg per day, now I am taking 20mg per day. I had been taking the Prozac at night before going to bed but noticed I was having a lot more trouble getting to sleep. After reading the dosing information, I realized that I needed to be taking this medication in the morning. So I will start that in the morning by holding off my dose tonight. For the time that I've been taking this medication, I have not had depressive episodes that I was unable to handle and taking the depression test, it was not as high as it had been in the past. So for now, I will continue this med but just change to taking it in the morn."

Brezie (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2017

For Bulimia "I'd struggled with bulimia and depression for many years, I was prescribed Prozac to mainly treat my depression, and partly the eating disorder. With my personal experience with bulimia I never had the urges to binge eat, just to make myself vomit after eating proper sized portions of food. I had found that the Prozac had helped stopped the urges to throw up after eating quite effectively. The only side effect being that once I had stopped taking it the urges returned immediately. Currently and trying to battle those thoughts without being prescribed medication, but may go back onto it if I'm unsuccessful after a year, or so."

Mich2900 September 7, 2017

For Panic Disorder "Just wanted to share my experience. Woke up in the middle of the night 2 weeks ago with a massive panic attack that I thought was a heart attack. Went to the ER two nights in a row because they just wouldn't stop. Saw my doctor the next day and was diagnosed with general anxiety and panic disorder. Was prescribed 20 MG prozac (fluoxetine). First week was horrible, almost all my symptoms increased couldn't eat lost my sex drive. It's now a week in and I can't even tell you how much better I feel. Everything is back to normal eating like crazy, sex drive is back this drug is a miracle. It will probably worsen your symptoms at first but think of it as an investment and keep pushing through and you should feel better. Hope this helps anyone."

Caius91 (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "Amazing effective medicaction. Works like magic. Makes me relax and happier and enhanced my sexual drive. Very safe and I LOVE IT. Overall, this medication changed my life and enhanced everything and helped me function in a very short time that I stopped taking it."

AnonArabF (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 22, 2017

For Depression "I was so depressed and I started this medicine without expecting that after 15 days I am like I've taken ecstasy. I am full of energy I don't hesitate to be myself! I love being my self actually! I'm not thinking anymore about cocaine, weed and stuff like that cause that was the main reason that I needed a doctor! THANK U PROZAC"

Andy pallas August 20, 2017

For Anxiety and Stress "I had the WORST reaction to this medicine. I was on 20mg and my body rejected it terribly. The first few days were fine and then after the 4th day or so I became very glazed over and out of it. It was as if I was a walking zombie. I then started waking up in the middle of the night having severe panic attacks. I had never had one before so I was very scared. My doctor told me to come off of it and the withdraw from this was even worse. I woke up in the middle of the night and had to go to the hospital. Overall I had a very negative experience but my mom takes this medicine and she loves it. Could just depend on the person I guess."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 17, 2017

For Depression "Didn't do anything for me"

Shoemaker (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 14, 2017

For Anxiety and Stress "I was reluctant to go on an SSRI as I was concerned about weight gain and fatigue. However, I was in such a bad headspace back in the spring that I bit the bullet and saw my doctor about it. She prescribed me generic Prozac (fluoxetine). Initially I was on 10 mg, then worked up to 20 mg. It's made such a positive difference. I haven't had any near-panic attacks, and my anxiety feels much more manageable. Life feels easier. I've had some side effects, such as excessive yawning (and I mean excessive!), some mild nausea, and vivid dreams. To me, though, the benefits far outweigh them. I'm going to keep taking it and use the coping skills I learned in therapy."

Julian Paul (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2017