User Reviews for Zyprexa

Learn more about Zyprexa.

Bipolar Disorder 102 reviews 29 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 9 reviews 46 medications

6.1
Summary of Zyprexa reviews 173 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Zyprexa

For Schizophrenia "This drug saved my life, I had been on almost all atypical meds with no luck. Now I have been on 40mg of zyprexa for 10 years with no relapses, and have even managed to hold down a job. I gained 20 pounds and an now a type 2 diabetic, but it was worth it. My family and friends noticed rapid improvements within a week of starting zyprexa. A little hint, when starting zyprexa, ask your dr to prescribe benztopine, it prevents many of the negative side effects of zyprexa. I hope this review helps some one :-)"

Costa pork (taken for 10 years or more) September 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Zyprexa withdrawal is the worst thing that has ever happened to me in my 55 year old life. I took 2.5 mg for 6 years. Sure it helped me sleep for a few months and that is why I did not know what was causing the terrible grief and over all health problems I was experiencing. I was fainting without warning because of this drug. It ruined my life and I have not touched zyprexa in almost 2 years! It is a drug so terrible it should not be prescribed to anybody. The makers of this drug should be totally ashamed of themselves. They really should be punished for what they have done and continue doing to peoples lives with this drug. No joke."

Ed McLendon (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizophrenia "I was hospitalized because of a brief psychotic episode following some traumatic events in my life, one of which was contracting Stage 3 Lyme Disease. They put me on Zyprexa 5 mg. It worked for a few months, but the brain fog and lethargy was causing problems at work so I decided to taper down to 2.5 mg and then stop. I really wish my doctor told me not to go from 2.5 immediately to zero because the withdrawal has been an absolute NIGHTMARE. Scary dreams, non-stop anxiety, really jumpy, headaches, depression, and my brain fog has never been worse. I finally knuckled under and am taking 0.6 mg just to take the edge off. I don't want to discourage others seeking help but stay away from Zyprexa!"

theriddler (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "In the beginning I really needed it at 5mg I was all over the place with mood and psychosis. After being on it for 7 years at different doses I've come to the point were I feel only the side effects and numb emotions. I want to feel again so I've been slowly withdrawaling I'm down to 7.5mg, if you decide to come off it do it slow and give your mind and body time to adjust before going down again."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizophrenia "Zyprexa doesn't work well with any antidepressants - be careful - but it can work used together with lithium, depakote, or lamotrigine. The serotonin guided anti-depressants activate mania and rapid thinking, and fuel anxiety, drugs such as lexapro - taken with anti-psychotics - can be a nightmare. In mixed diagnostics such as schizoaffective, there are many bypasses and alternate routes - i.e., I take a minimum of risperdal, which helps with an additional foundation for more centeredness and 'structure,' - and keeps my head clearer on 1.5 mgs; and I also take 300 mgs seroquel XR, to act, not only as a bipolar safe keeper, but also as an anti-depressant. If you're looking for Olanzapine with an anti-depressant edge, try bipolar meds."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) August 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I just got prescribed this medication. 10mg to start. I'm taking it for my extremely high anxiety and bi polar depression. I have read a lot of review's, so I will definitely stay away from CARBS!! Hoping this will give me my life back! I'll return in 5 days and give a review on how I'm feeling. Wish me luck! 8/18/17 New update on taking the Zyprexa. Today is day 8 on the the Zyprexa and I have to say, I honestly feel like my old self again. I'm happy, my mood is stable I'm sleeping great! I'm more active now than I've ever been since my 20's. So far I can honestly say this medication is working great for me. I'm actually excited about life again! Also, no weight gain so far and no increased cravings of food."

KayBling August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I was only on Zyprexa for 10 days but it made me so tired I couldn't even function. All I wanted to do was sleep all day. And it made my depression worse. I was so depressed by that 10th day that I almost quit my job because I just felt like I couldn't handle any stress at all. So glad I stopped taking this drug."

cmac527 (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizophrenia "Although it started off good, this med slowly made me develop Akathisia to the point of it being unbearable. I started off on 10mg and it was increased to 15mg, by the end of it I wanted to amputate my legs just to make the feeling go away. I was 24/7 agitated, restless, constantly pacing around and fidgeting, getting into arguments and screaming at people. My doctor prescribed Clonazepam but it did nothing to take it away. Eventually I had enough and stopped taking Zyprexa altogether, and within only 3 days all of these symptoms disappeared and I was back to normal. By the end of it, even though I was only on it for 3 weeks, I had gained 30 pounds. Awful experience."

voskhod (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Works wonderfully for anxiety and works fast. Does help together with Prozac for depression."

Biancapixi July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I was put on Zyprexa after my dad got murdered. It worked ok for that medicated Zombie feel. I took up to 20mg day. Gained so much weight that I wore a waist size 40 pants. Had to stop after 6 years. Doc told me to taper off it in 2 weeks! NO BUENO!!! Should have tapered off in a year+. Been in bed for 8+months with horrific post withdrawal symptoms. Never had heart problems before Zyprexa! Now I have afib and sinus tachycardia, and TD, involuntary muscle spasms are so painful! People notice when I stick my tongue out, biting it hours a day, sexy. Its killing me slowly as Eli Lilly makes $12Mil a day killing! I use Melatonin for sleep, is Z even approved for sleep? RESEARCH LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT, CUZ IT DOES!!"

Bonn Bonn (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I've had mostly positive experience with the exception of a lot of weight gain. Definitely stopped the depression/manic cycles. Does make me sleepy but my doctor prescribed provigil which really helped. I give this med a positive grade especially for bipolar with psychotic episodes."

Cabinetman June 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "Avoid this like the plague! I have had irreversible damage to my metabolic system because of this medication including my thyroid. Evidence came out after the medications release that they hid these symptoms to get a quick release. Gained 30lbs in 2 months on this. I weaned off 10 years ago and am still dealing with the ramifications of this drug. Not worth it."

Zzzach (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I was on this for maybe 6 months 2 years ago. I went from 121 to 184 in less then 3 months. I was eating constantly even after I had dinner I would be hungry 15 minutes later. If your doctor wants you to take this DON'T. It's easy for the weight to come but harder to make the weight go away."

Cinn Marie (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "No nothing good, just constant fatigue and weight gain. It makes me sleepy as hell and makes me even more of a zombie."

automatonnn May 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Avoid at all costs - Weight gain is insane. Hungry all of the time, can't stop eating even when full, and that awful feeling afterwards. BE AWARE - coming off of this is hell, too. Be very careful, and come off of this very slowly."

Matty723 May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "OK I've been on zyprexa going on 7 months at 20mg a day and it's the best thing I've done to get help with bipolar disorder. The only down fall is the weight gain but for me to stay sane and be happy it's worth it. Since being on zyprexa I've been able to socialize again with other people and do not stay in my bedroom all day and night. Thank God for helping me "

Ckelly8158 May 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I gained 10 lbs in under 1 week, which sets a speed record among the weight-gain meds I've taken. Since that pushed me up to the pre-diabetic border, my psychiatrist pulled me off of it ASAP - not to mention that when you're severely depressed, how is super chunking up supposed to make you feel better no matter how well the med works? 1 month & I would have been up 40 lbs! I felt no other side effects, nor any positive effects, but 1 week probably wasn't long enough for it to make a difference on my mood - only my rear end."

Gone Bananas (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had insomnia off and on since my daughter was born 11 years ago. I've tried everything under the sun for my insomnia. I started zyprexa 6 weeks ago, currently taking 30mg a night, and I can honestly say I feel like a new person. I'm sleeping about 9.5 hours a night now and feel great when I wake up! It does make me feel hungrier but I workout daily and stick to just 3 meals a day with no snacking in between and my weight is fine."

Rachel0123 April 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I was diagnosed with psychotic depression for 7 months and my psychiatrist put me on zyprexa 5mg. After using antidepressants I got into mania. This medicine is a miracle. I was relieved in one week. I am still taking it but I became a bit hesitant to continue due to some horrible reviews. Tried Invega And had suicidal thoughts. This medicine is great for mood with combination with lamictal."

MT2233 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizoaffective Disorder "This medicine never made the voices I heard go away-though I'll admit they were a bit calmer. They couldn't have been anything but though, considering the fog I was in because of the side effects. I felt NOTHING, not happiness, depression, calmness, anxiety. I saw no wonder in the world, felt no kind of joy. It was no way to live-it wasn't living. It was existing, and that side effect didn't go away despite my taking it for months. Another side effect was the weight gain-in three months I'd gained thirty pounds."

Owlem (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia "I developed an illness that evolved in stages. A few stages in I lost the ability to sleep naturally. This was about eleven years ago. A few years went by trying every sleep med with utter failure. Ambien, Lunesta, benzodiazepines, trazadone, most atypical antipsychotics. Eventually a new lifestyle evolved where I would be up for near three days straight then sleep for a full day, repeat. What finally put me to sleep was a little risperidone and a megadose of seroquel. Risperdal "allowed" me to fall asleep, while max dose of seroquel "KEPT ME in sleeping state "long enough" and "deep enough." 3am now, tried 10mg of zyprexa an hour ago alone, its barely affecting me. Remeron with halved seroquel/risperdal, put me down great."

John Doe Alias March 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia "This medicine has made me gain a lot of weight due to the fact I get hungry about 2 hours after taking it. After eating I always pass out and sleep through the night till I have to wake up for my job at 7 a.m. I have been taking this medication for two years now so I do not wake up groggy and foggy. This medication to me is a life saver for putting me to sleep and keeping me asleep. Just be careful with the night hungers! Other then that would totally recommend the medication if you can't sleep at night."

R pack March 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizoaffective Disorder "It's a wonder drug it has taken my voices away and seeing things away. My paranoia is still there but alot better. My moods are under control as well"

austins dad January 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "It's a great medicine no side effects so far keeping my mood under control along with carbamazepine ER."

austins dad January 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Definitely relieved morning anxiety attacks. I'm also taking Effexor and Klonopin. I take the Zyprexa at night because it does make me sleepy. I wasn't eating anything at all before starting this drug, so I'm not worried yet about the weight gain; I'm not overdoing it with the food. I don't plan to be on this for long; my doctor told me it's not really a maintenance medication. But if it gets me through the Holidays and my horrible anxiety about work, I'm fine with that."

Maxiemar December 23, 2016