User Reviews for Zyprexa

Depression
6.4

Summary of Zyprexa reviews 6.6 200 reviews

Reviews for Zyprexa

For Schizophrenia "While I am schizoaffective, I was put on 2.5mg (now 5mg) of zyprexa for intractable insomnia after averaging 2 or 3 nights a week without sleeping. I now go without only sleep once a week. I also sleep much deeper. Unfortunately, I have gained 2.5lbs a month on it and have gone from normal blood sugar to circling pre-diabetic. My doctor put me on 7.5mg briefly but my appetite was unreal. I wish I could take more but I've already put on 30lbs. I can't say if it has impacted my psychosis as the other anti-psychotic was working when I started on this. I think it helps with my anxiety. I sometimes take an extra pill when I have an anxiety attack. It helps but maybe it is the placebo effect."

Cat (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 5, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Only been on Zyprexa for 5 days, but I'm loving it so far. I was hospitalized five days ago for extreme mania, they took me off of Abilify (which I believe caused the mania, I'd only been put on it two weeks before). They added Zyprexa 10mg to my trazodone at night (also take Lamictal and Zoloft in the am). It was a bit too sedating at 10mg, so they bumped it down to 5mg and it's perfect. I've always had mad munchies at night from the trazodone anyways, and am still not hungry till dinner anyways, so it isn't really causing me any weight gain. It brought me out of mania the first time I took it, I hope to never be without this med again, as of now. Again, just started it 5 days ago but I've actually lost 4 pounds since then, and I can't say enough good about it!"

OpposumMajor (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2018

For Depression "A doctor said I had bipolar and put me on Zyprexa and Lexapro. It was a nightmare, I told my doctor it made my depression worse and that I developed restless leg syndrome while on it. The doctor completely ignored me. After months of this horrible nightmare, I switched doctor's and was told I am NOT bipolar, but suffer from depression. I was tapered off Zyprexa and now I feel 100% better. Thankful"

Me (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 31, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "This is the best side effect free strong antipsychotic I have taken so far. I have bipolar disorder and just 2.5 mg is enough to combat mania and minor depression. I also have anxiety and and it makes me calm. I don’t take it everyday. I take it sometimes when my doctor says. No side effects, no dizziness, no anxiety, no AKATHISIA just drowsiness which I like for anxiety."

GR (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 26, 2018

For Depression "I have ever been a fan of antidepressants as I feel they are a bandaid for underlying problems. I starting to think differently. My doctor put me on 2.5 mg along with 0.5 Xanax. After years of feeling depressed and hopeless I now have more energy, sleep well at night waking up feeling great. I have also have gained weight which I needed to do. I give Zyprexa a 10 stars"

Lilone (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 30, 2018

For Schizophrenia "I took this medication for 9 months before the voices in my head went away. I continued taking this medication for two years. I'm still not convinced that this medication had anything to do with the voices going away. I think if it were effective, the voices would have stopped sooner. I also always felt sedated and never had any motivation to do anything. I used to be the person who always read all of the recent news and was well-informed but this medication turned me into a lazy and ill-informed person. I also used to run and do yoga often but this medication made me have no motivation to do those things anymore. I gained 40 lbs on zyprexa. I just started taking latuda two weeks ago and I have already lost 10 lbs and I feel like I have much more energy and motivation. The only issue is that now I have insomnia from zyprexa withdrawal. I wish my doctors would have originally prescribed latuda instead of zyprexa so I wouldn't have had to deal with the withdrawal."

elusiveperuvian September 28, 2018

"Zyprexia Is a miracle drug for DR/DP (derealization/depersonalization) episode episodes. I take the dissolving tablets, 5mg. Has never seemed to fail me. Always puts me back in my body and back into my head and on planet earth. Takes away the anxiety too and seems to manage PTSD related thoughts when they are associated/at the same time, and I feel human again. Not something clonepin or anything else can do. I only take it as a PRN though..maybe 2-3x/month max, to 4x/year on AVERAGE depending on stress and other triggering factors. Would probably not take daily, as weight gain is a side effect (Abilify is a great alternative if needed daily). Besides that, this is a miracle drug for me."

Infamouscuriousity22 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 24, 2018

For Depression "I've been taking zyprexa for 1 year. I had obsessive thoughts it has helped me very much."

jizzhue (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 16, 2018

"I took zyprexa for constant nausea due to gastroparesis and anxiety. After the first day of taking 15 mg I immediately felt less nauseous. And I was severely crippled by the nausea. This has been a lifesaver. I’ve only taken it for a few weeks. Doesn’t seem to help anxiety - just nausea."

MichaelA (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Because antidepressants make me cycle I didn’t think their was much hope for any happiness. Until I found this drug. It changed my life!"

Amy W. July 29, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Works great every time! I have rapid cycling bipolar and this is the most effective out of all antipsychotics. Sometimes they put me off it but every time I’m on it it feels like a world of change like my brain starts to function again."

TJ (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 7, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "DO NOT take this medication unless you are either psychotic, bipolar or have an extreme neurological condition. I took this medication for 8 years and it ruined my life to be honest. These drugs are EXTREMELY dangerous and powerful and can ruin your life even by taking it for 1 week. This drug is NOT for anxiety or ANY mild to average condition. Move to the countryside for 3 months and rent a cabin, it will solve your issues. If you are a parent, do not EVER put any child on this drug. Anti-psych drugs are 1000 times more dangerous than you can ever imagine. Same goes for Abilify or any atypical or typical anti-psychotic. Tardive dyskinesia is a potentially permanent side effect that can ruin your life within a week. Saying that, they work EXTREMELY effectively for severe mental disorders and may save your life if you are suicidal."

Jason (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 27, 2018

For Depression "It is very good drug .It helped me very much with obsessions and depression. I recommend it to you"

09dibbie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 8, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "After luckily failed suicide attempt I got prescribed Olanzapine. Only 5mg does a significant relief for me. Had been suffering of depression and hypomanic episodes but after taking only 5mg of Olanzapine I feel completely different - no more mood swings at all. I feel like a normal person. This medication saved and even improved the quality of the life I'm living at the moment. Beside Olanzapine I got prescribed antidepressant Escitaloprame which also works great in treating Bipolar disorder."

BipolarFree (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 9, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Out of the 4 anti psychotics I tried this one worked wonders for me. I was diagnosed back in 2011 for a psychotic episode and developed bi polar psychosis. Took 5mgs for years and I was feeling great. The only thing is that I would have some tactile hallucinations but wouldn’t hear any voices. I would just feel like a crazy maniac that wouldn’t sleep for days before going on zyprexa. Anyways I went off of it and then a year later I am here taking it again because I just can’t stand my anxiety and delusions and mood swings. I mix it with seroquel sometimes. Anyways this drug works wonders. I don’t get an increased appetite. The only problem is that when I wake up I don’t feel like eating anything so I end up eating at 2pm. The side effects for me are decreased appetite and some fatigue but other than that, I can finally enjoy life again. Remember that it takes a few weeks for it to take full effects and side effects do become more tolerable through time."

Dimitri May 5, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "This medication would receive a negative review if possible. The primary reason I hate this medication is because the weight gain, diabetes and withdrawal symptoms. You see I started taking this thinking "well...if I gain to much weight I can always stop." Think again. I literally wouldn't sleep for days."

William (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 5, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "My stomach is spilling over Instead of my mind for once. My head is no longer a circus, A tent of sad clowns and unruly animals. Uni-cycling on a tightrope Between intelligence and insanity Has never been so balanced."

vernacularacrobat (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 3, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Weight gain unbelievable. Killed thyroid, now on synthroid. Bed wetting and very hard to wake up in morning. Withdrawal horrible. Don't take this."

Sarah's grandma (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 30, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "My psychiatrist put me on 10 mg of Zyprexa and 20 mg of Prozac. He said those two meds are supposed to work well together. After two months I was still feeling depressed so he increased the Zyprexa to 15 mg. This has been a miracle drug for me. I fall asleep within 30 min of taking it and sleep very well except it is difficult to wake up in the morning. I set three alarms around my bedroom. One I have to physically get out of bed to turn off so it helps me get up. But that side effect is getting better after two months of taking Zyprexa. I no longer have ruminating thoughts or bouts of rage. My mood is very even. I have had some weight gain due to the med making me feel hungry all the time. Now I'm trying to drink water instead of eating and that seems to help."

Beth (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I have a love hate relationship with Zyprexa. I was initially put on it when I had a breakdown, it was the worst I ever felt mentally in my life. Before going on it I hadn’t slept soundly for 10 years. Taking Zyprexa was a last resort drug, and it worked great for getting me through that tough time. When I started to take it, I could finally get a good nights sleep, I can’t even explain how good that felt after going so long with out it. I also feel like it saved my marriage. Now the downsides: I gained about 40 lbs since I’ve started taking it 12 years ago. It makes me feel hungry constantly and crave sweets. Another thing is I am so unmotivated, it’s so frustrating! Anytime I try to reduce it I find I get irritable and not able to sleep, so then I go back up again. I definitely think this drug is not good for everyone, I would only recommend it as a last resort."

Anonymous March 26, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been taking Zyprexa since 2002. At first I was on 10 mg, and I've been on 20 mg for the last 15 years. It worked great at first, but now it works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. I take it because I have bipolar 2 disorder. I need it to calm down my mind when I go to sleep. I want to know if there is anything else I can take, or does Zyprexa come in a stronger dose than 20 mg ?"

Patrick (taken for 10 years or more) March 3, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Been on 20mg a day for a couple years. Been off of everything for about eight months. When I was taking it, I had zero issues with weight gain. Another huge benefit was that it reliably put me to sleep. Take my 20mg football in the evening and it’s lights out within two hours. But getting up in the morning was tough. Plus it did slow me down mentally. I didn’t think it did, but I had a few old friends point out that I’m way slower than I used to be. Like most psych meds, it can work wonders for one patient and do more harm than good for another. Due to life’s circumstances, I had to quit cold turkey. Bad idea. Sleepless nights and all that... Thankfully, my condition is on a very mild end of the spectrum. You absolutely have to work with your doctor to find out what works best for YOU! All the best!"

HonkingAntelope (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 13, 2018

For Schizophrenia "I liked Zyprexa, it helped me sleep. But boy did I get hungry when it kicked in, and fat!"

Neuromancer (taken for 10 years or more) February 5, 2018

For Depression "My husband started zyprexa a few days ago and all he can do is sleep. Is this normal and how long will the sleepiness last"

Russfamily7 (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "What an awful medication! I took olanzapine for a 6 months and I’ll give it credit that it completely got rid of mania, racing thoughts and impulsivity. However I became severely depressed and I was also a walking zombie. I could stare at the wall or ceiling for hours and be okay with that. I also gained 50 pounds in 6 months. Finally got off olanzapine last winter and taking Seroquel XR- also 40 pounds of the weight that I gained on Zyorexa. Stay away from this med- There are SO many other options!!"

VC8 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 22, 2017