User Reviews for Zyprexa

Depression
6.4

Summary of Zyprexa reviews 6.6 193 reviews

Reviews for Zyprexa

For Bipolar Disorder "Because antidepressants make me cycle I didn’t think their was much hope for any happiness. Until I found this drug. It changed my life!"

Amy W. July 29, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Works great every time! I have rapid cycling bipolar and this is the most effective out of all antipsychotics. Sometimes they put me off it but every time I’m on it it feels like a world of change like my brain starts to function again."

TJ (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 7, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "DO NOT take this medication unless you are either psychotic, bipolar or have an extreme neurological condition. I took this medication for 8 years and it ruined my life to be honest. These drugs are EXTREMELY dangerous and powerful and can ruin your life even by taking it for 1 week. This drug is NOT for anxiety or ANY mild to average condition. Move to the countryside for 3 months and rent a cabin, it will solve your issues. If you are a parent, do not EVER put any child on this drug. Anti-psych drugs are 1000 times more dangerous than you can ever imagine. Same goes for Abilify or any atypical or typical anti-psychotic. Tardive dyskinesia is a potentially permanent side effect that can ruin your life within a week. Saying that, they work EXTREMELY effectively for severe mental disorders and may save your life if you are suicidal."

Jason (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 27, 2018

For Depression "It is very good drug .It helped me very much with obsessions and depression. I recommend it to you"

09dibbie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 8, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "After luckily failed suicide attempt I got prescribed Olanzapine. Only 5mg does a significant relief for me. Had been suffering of depression and hypomanic episodes but after taking only 5mg of Olanzapine I feel completely different - no more mood swings at all. I feel like a normal person. This medication saved and even improved the quality of the life I'm living at the moment. Beside Olanzapine I got prescribed antidepressant Escitaloprame which also works great in treating Bipolar disorder."

BipolarFree (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 9, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Out of the 4 anti psychotics I tried this one worked wonders for me. I was diagnosed back in 2011 for a psychotic episode and developed bi polar psychosis. Took 5mgs for years and I was feeling great. The only thing is that I would have some tactile hallucinations but wouldn’t hear any voices. I would just feel like a crazy maniac that wouldn’t sleep for days before going on zyprexa. Anyways I went off of it and then a year later I am here taking it again because I just can’t stand my anxiety and delusions and mood swings. I mix it with seroquel sometimes. Anyways this drug works wonders. I don’t get an increased appetite. The only problem is that when I wake up I don’t feel like eating anything so I end up eating at 2pm. The side effects for me are decreased appetite and some fatigue but other than that, I can finally enjoy life again. Remember that it takes a few weeks for it to take full effects and side effects do become more tolerable through time."

Dimitri May 5, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "This medication would receive a negative review if possible. The primary reason I hate this medication is because the weight gain, diabetes and withdrawal symptoms. You see I started taking this thinking "well...if I gain to much weight I can always stop." Think again. I literally wouldn't sleep for days."

William (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 5, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "My stomach is spilling over Instead of my mind for once. My head is no longer a circus, A tent of sad clowns and unruly animals. Uni-cycling on a tightrope Between intelligence and insanity Has never been so balanced."

vernacularacrobat (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 3, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Weight gain unbelievable. Killed thyroid, now on synthroid. Bed wetting and very hard to wake up in morning. Withdrawal horrible. Don't take this."

Sarah's grandma (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 30, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "My psychiatrist put me on 10 mg of Zyprexa and 20 mg of Prozac. He said those two meds are supposed to work well together. After two months I was still feeling depressed so he increased the Zyprexa to 15 mg. This has been a miracle drug for me. I fall asleep within 30 min of taking it and sleep very well except it is difficult to wake up in the morning. I set three alarms around my bedroom. One I have to physically get out of bed to turn off so it helps me get up. But that side effect is getting better after two months of taking Zyprexa. I no longer have ruminating thoughts or bouts of rage. My mood is very even. I have had some weight gain due to the med making me feel hungry all the time. Now I'm trying to drink water instead of eating and that seems to help."

Beth (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I have a love hate relationship with Zyprexa. I was initially put on it when I had a breakdown, it was the worst I ever felt mentally in my life. Before going on it I hadn’t slept soundly for 10 years. Taking Zyprexa was a last resort drug, and it worked great for getting me through that tough time. When I started to take it, I could finally get a good nights sleep, I can’t even explain how good that felt after going so long with out it. I also feel like it saved my marriage. Now the downsides: I gained about 40 lbs since I’ve started taking it 12 years ago. It makes me feel hungry constantly and crave sweets. Another thing is I am so unmotivated, it’s so frustrating! Anytime I try to reduce it I find I get irritable and not able to sleep, so then I go back up again. I definitely think this drug is not good for everyone, I would only recommend it as a last resort."

Anonymous March 26, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been taking Zyprexa since 2002. At first I was on 10 mg, and I've been on 20 mg for the last 15 years. It worked great at first, but now it works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. I take it because I have bipolar 2 disorder. I need it to calm down my mind when I go to sleep. I want to know if there is anything else I can take, or does Zyprexa come in a stronger dose than 20 mg ?"

Patrick (taken for 10 years or more) March 3, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Been on 20mg a day for a couple years. Been off of everything for about eight months. When I was taking it, I had zero issues with weight gain. Another huge benefit was that it reliably put me to sleep. Take my 20mg football in the evening and it’s lights out within two hours. But getting up in the morning was tough. Plus it did slow me down mentally. I didn’t think it did, but I had a few old friends point out that I’m way slower than I used to be. Like most psych meds, it can work wonders for one patient and do more harm than good for another. Due to life’s circumstances, I had to quit cold turkey. Bad idea. Sleepless nights and all that... Thankfully, my condition is on a very mild end of the spectrum. You absolutely have to work with your doctor to find out what works best for YOU! All the best!"

HonkingAntelope (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 13, 2018

For Schizophrenia "I liked Zyprexa, it helped me sleep. But boy did I get hungry when it kicked in, and fat!"

Neuromancer (taken for 10 years or more) February 5, 2018

For Depression "My husband started zyprexa a few days ago and all he can do is sleep. Is this normal and how long will the sleepiness last"

Russfamily7 (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "What an awful medication! I took olanzapine for a 6 months and I’ll give it credit that it completely got rid of mania, racing thoughts and impulsivity. However I became severely depressed and I was also a walking zombie. I could stare at the wall or ceiling for hours and be okay with that. I also gained 50 pounds in 6 months. Finally got off olanzapine last winter and taking Seroquel XR- also 40 pounds of the weight that I gained on Zyorexa. Stay away from this med- There are SO many other options!!"

VC8 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 22, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "Wow this medication has helped me tremendously lower my anxiety and actually enjoy going out and the intrusive thoughts have not disappeared totally but I am able to shrug them off. I was taking 2.5mg in the morning and 2.5 at night but successfully decreased by half for day and night.CBT has helped as well. I am not a doctor but if your debating on if you should take it I would. The weight gain is a side effect but I have managed by limiting to 3 meals a day and not having any sweets in the house. Take note I am also on Cipralex and Lamotrigine so the cocktail of meds is helping alot"

Happy Dude (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2017

For Depression "I took this medication many years ago and gained 50 lbs in the first month of taking it. It is horrible nasty stuff and didn't do anything for my moods. I went off it after that first month."

south pole (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 12, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "Love this medication, but I gained 40 pounds in about 4 months! Stayed on it for years and made me feel normal. I, initially, got on it when it was first released and there were no other atypical antipsychotics on the market. When Seroquel was released, then my psychiatrist switched me to it because it showed weight gain, but not as much. He was correct."

WillnBryant (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 15, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "This taken with Zoloft helped me tremendously with my mdd, ptsd and ocd. Did gain some weight this last time taking it, but mentally feel 98% better"

Katjo80 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 30, 2017

For Schizophrenia "This drug saved my life, I had been on almost all atypical meds with no luck. Now I have been on 40mg of zyprexa for 10 years with no relapses, and have even managed to hold down a job. I gained 20 pounds and an now a type 2 diabetic, but it was worth it. My family and friends noticed rapid improvements within a week of starting zyprexa. A little hint, when starting zyprexa, ask your dr to prescribe benztopine, it prevents many of the negative side effects of zyprexa. I hope this review helps some one :-)"

Costa pork (taken for 10 years or more) September 21, 2017

For Depression "Zyprexa withdrawal is the worst thing that has ever happened to me in my 55 year old life. I took 2.5 mg for 6 years. Sure it helped me sleep for a few months and that is why I did not know what was causing the terrible grief and over all health problems I was experiencing. I was fainting without warning because of this drug. It ruined my life and I have not touched zyprexa in almost 2 years! It is a drug so terrible it should not be prescribed to anybody. The makers of this drug should be totally ashamed of themselves. They really should be punished for what they have done and continue doing to peoples lives with this drug. No joke."

Ed McLendon (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 15, 2017

For Schizophrenia "I was hospitalized because of a brief psychotic episode following some traumatic events in my life, one of which was contracting Stage 3 Lyme Disease. They put me on Zyprexa 5 mg. It worked for a few months, but the brain fog and lethargy was causing problems at work so I decided to taper down to 2.5 mg and then stop. I really wish my doctor told me not to go from 2.5 immediately to zero because the withdrawal has been an absolute NIGHTMARE. Scary dreams, non-stop anxiety, really jumpy, headaches, depression, and my brain fog has never been worse. I finally knuckled under and am taking 0.6 mg just to take the edge off. I don't want to discourage others seeking help but stay away from Zyprexa!"

theriddler (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 3, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "In the beginning I really needed it at 5mg I was all over the place with mood and psychosis. After being on it for 7 years at different doses I've come to the point were I feel only the side effects and numb emotions. I want to feel again so I've been slowly withdrawaling I'm down to 7.5mg, if you decide to come off it do it slow and give your mind and body time to adjust before going down again."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 24, 2017

For Schizophrenia "Zyprexa doesn't work well with any antidepressants - be careful - but it can work used together with lithium, depakote, or lamotrigine. The serotonin guided anti-depressants activate mania and rapid thinking, and fuel anxiety, drugs such as lexapro - taken with anti-psychotics - can be a nightmare. In mixed diagnostics such as schizoaffective, there are many bypasses and alternate routes - i.e., I take a minimum of risperdal, which helps with an additional foundation for more centeredness and 'structure,' - and keeps my head clearer on 1.5 mgs; and I also take 300 mgs seroquel XR, to act, not only as a bipolar safe keeper, but also as an anti-depressant. If you're looking for Olanzapine with an anti-depressant edge, try bipolar meds."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) August 23, 2017