User Reviews for Zyprexa

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Zyprexa.

Zyprexa Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Zyprexa to treat Bipolar Disorder

"Love this medication, but I gained 40 pounds in about 4 months! Stayed on it for years and made me feel normal. I, initially, got on it when it was first released and there were no other atypical antipsychotics on the market. When Seroquel was released, then my psychiatrist switched me to it because it showed weight gain, but not as much. He was correct."

WillnBryant (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"In the beginning I really needed it at 5mg I was all over the place with mood and psychosis. After being on it for 7 years at different doses I've come to the point were I feel only the side effects and numb emotions. I want to feel again so I've been slowly withdrawaling I'm down to 7.5mg, if you decide to come off it do it slow and give your mind and body time to adjust before going down again."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just got prescribed this medication. 10mg to start. I'm taking it for my extremely high anxiety and bi polar depression. I have read a lot of review's, so I will definitely stay away from CARBS!! Hoping this will give me my life back! I'll return in 5 days and give a review on how I'm feeling. Wish me luck! 8/18/17 New update on taking the Zyprexa. Today is day 8 on the the Zyprexa and I have to say, I honestly feel like my old self again. I'm happy, my mood is stable I'm sleeping great! I'm more active now than I've ever been since my 20's. So far I can honestly say this medication is working great for me. I'm actually excited about life again! Also, no weight gain so far and no increased cravings of food."

KayBling August 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on Zyprexa after my dad got murdered. It worked ok for that medicated Zombie feel. I took up to 20mg day. Gained so much weight that I wore a waist size 40 pants. Had to stop after 6 years. Doc told me to taper off it in 2 weeks! NO BUENO!!! Should have tapered off in a year+. Been in bed for 8+months with horrific post withdrawal symptoms. Never had heart problems before Zyprexa! Now I have afib and sinus tachycardia, and TD, involuntary muscle spasms are so painful! People notice when I stick my tongue out, biting it hours a day, sexy. Its killing me slowly as Eli Lilly makes $12Mil a day killing! I use Melatonin for sleep, is Z even approved for sleep? RESEARCH LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT, CUZ IT DOES!!"

Bonn Bonn (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had mostly positive experience with the exception of a lot of weight gain. Definitely stopped the depression/manic cycles. Does make me sleepy but my doctor prescribed provigil which really helped. I give this med a positive grade especially for bipolar with psychotic episodes."

Cabinetman June 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on this for maybe 6 months 2 years ago. I went from 121 to 184 in less then 3 months. I was eating constantly even after I had dinner I would be hungry 15 minutes later. If your doctor wants you to take this DON'T. It's easy for the weight to come but harder to make the weight go away."

Cinn Marie (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"No nothing good, just constant fatigue and weight gain. It makes me sleepy as hell and makes me even more of a zombie."

automatonnn May 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Avoid at all costs - Weight gain is insane. Hungry all of the time, can't stop eating even when full, and that awful feeling afterwards. BE AWARE - coming off of this is hell, too. Be very careful, and come off of this very slowly."

Matty723 May 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"OK I've been on zyprexa going on 7 months at 20mg a day and it's the best thing I've done to get help with bipolar disorder. The only down fall is the weight gain but for me to stay sane and be happy it's worth it. Since being on zyprexa I've been able to socialize again with other people and do not stay in my bedroom all day and night. Thank God for helping me "

Ckelly8158 May 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I gained 10 lbs in under 1 week, which sets a speed record among the weight-gain meds I've taken. Since that pushed me up to the pre-diabetic border, my psychiatrist pulled me off of it ASAP - not to mention that when you're severely depressed, how is super chunking up supposed to make you feel better no matter how well the med works? 1 month & I would have been up 40 lbs! I felt no other side effects, nor any positive effects, but 1 week probably wasn't long enough for it to make a difference on my mood - only my rear end."

Gone Bananas (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with psychotic depression for 7 months and my psychiatrist put me on zyprexa 5mg. After using antidepressants I got into mania. This medicine is a miracle. I was relieved in one week. I am still taking it but I became a bit hesitant to continue due to some horrible reviews. Tried Invega And had suicidal thoughts. This medicine is great for mood with combination with lamictal."

MT2233 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It's a great medicine no side effects so far keeping my mood under control along with carbamazepine ER."

austins dad January 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First year on 5mg at night helped my mood, anger outbursts and anxiety a great deal. Did develop high cholesterol and gained 15 pounds, but the trade off was worth it. Also helps wonderfully with insomnia. After the year mark it was no longer handling my anger well. Started having 2-3 inappropriate outbursts a week. Pdoc started me on geodon but couldn't handle the side effects, so back to the zyprexa I went with another 2.5mg added in the morning and gained another 6 pounds. Have tried other AAPs but can't handle the side effects so I'm still on the zyprexa for now until I get brave enough to try something else again. Taking with Pristiq, Trileptal, Vistiril and Xanax."

BBP007 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 13, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started this because I need to get my mood stable and it doesn't work for me all. I'm 113 lbs and haven't noticed any weight gain, I am really sleepy and thirsty during the night but it helps with my mood."

Jamaican empress (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had been so unwell off meds for over a year and vomiting daily due to bipolar. I thought vomiting was from physical illness. As soon as i started this med all bp symptoms left AND my stomach is settled. No sexual side effects. Old me is back. No sides! Miracle drug! Weight gain for me will be a pkus not negative"

Yaybdtubfuj December 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took 3mgs of Zyprexa, contained in Symbyax, nightly for about 6 years. The medicine worked well for the first 2 to 3 years. Around year four I started having severe side effects and did not realize it was from the Zyprexa as it had been working so well. I suffered with increasing seizures for about three more years. Bad ones. I wound up in the hospital emergency room and it was the ER doctor that informed me that the Zyprexa was causing the problem. My regular doctor denied Zyprexa as a contributing factor to my seizures. I quit the Zyprexa cold turkey. To say the least it was an absolutely horrible experience. Wean off this drug over a long period of time and even then get ready for horrendous withdrawal symptoms after your last dose."

Ed McLendon (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 26, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I love Zyprexa (Olanzapine) it has calmed and removed my insanity. I now longer have panic attacks and irritability. I work in retail and i have been in trouble several times with my managers because i snap at costumers. But with Zyprexa it all went away it was amazing........BUT!!! i have to stop taking it because it caused SO MUCH weight gain. I use to weigh 170lbs and within a year i weigh now 226lbs. I don't even eat that much and i still don't lose weight. there's no point going to the gym and doing cardio because the pill prevents me from losing it. So now i have to ask my doctor to give me a medication that doesn't cause weight gain for i can lose the weight. I am so depressed that i have to stop taking it. it has worked wonders 4 me"

eliasadc (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication is terrible. Made me feel drowsy and nauseous and eventually put me into the hospital causing pancreatitis."

t_stiver September 27, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worked well for three months and then developed severe side effects."

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was on Zyprexa for a week 10mgs originally prescribed for sleep and coming off of Geodon. Gordon caused anxiety eventually. Zyprexa calmed me down but it was still hard to fall asleep without Ambien. I feel tired slow and hungry all the time the next day. But it did calm my nerves the next day so it may be worth it to give it a try."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication has been very useful in reducing negative thinking. Most people take it at night. I find it more useful when I take it first thing in the morning. It works better if you avoid smoking. I've tried all different antipsychotics, Zyprexa is the only one that seems to work for me."

fyodor July 17, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Zyprexa was effective at sedating me which prevented the psychotic aspects of my manic episodes from happening very quickly. Since I only had 2 manic episodes in the span of a year, I probably should've stopped taking Zyprexa around 6 months later. Unfortunately I took it for 5 more years which was a MASSIVE mistake. It caused me to be very drowsy and lethargic. Because I started taking it at age 19, I didn't realize the Zyprexa was the culprit until I stopped taking it. I thought I was just a sleepy person. It had a profoundly negative impact on my life because I took it way longer than I should have."

Johnnyjohnjohn (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine saved my life."

kaube000 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was admitted to the hospital for severe hydration due to vomitting from being sick for a wk and prior to that completely lost my appetite do to a gluon intolerance I had become frustrated with food and I couldn't sleep was angry all the time, I was put on Apo-olanzapine aka Zyprexa and set up with a psychiatrist as an out patient...here's the thing I was prescribed this med by the psychiatrist for weight gain, but it also boost my mood swell , I feel like I'm a level playing field and the game is fair again. Definitely helps with depression, as I don't feel all is consuming me anymore and I eat everything in sight, I put 5 pounds on in 1 wk!!! So beware of that, its strange because you CRAVE food, all you do is think about food...lol"

quicksand (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Feel much better since I started Zyprexa!! Wished I had started it years ago! Zyprexa works quickly to calm a person down. Very progressive type of medication."

Magenta Clay (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2016