User Reviews for Zyprexa

Learn more about Zyprexa.

Zyprexa Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 78 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Zyprexa to treat Bipolar Disorder

"It's a great medicine no side effects so far keeping my mood under control along with carbamazepine ER."

austins dad January 27, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"First year on 5mg at night helped my mood, anger outbursts and anxiety a great deal. Did develop high cholesterol and gained 15 pounds, but the trade off was worth it. Also helps wonderfully with insomnia. After the year mark it was no longer handling my anger well. Started having 2-3 inappropriate outbursts a week. Pdoc started me on geodon but couldn't handle the side effects, so back to the zyprexa I went with another 2.5mg added in the morning and gained another 6 pounds. Have tried other AAPs but can't handle the side effects so I'm still on the zyprexa for now until I get brave enough to try something else again. Taking with Pristiq, Trileptal, Vistiril and Xanax."

BBP007 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 13, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started this because I need to get my mood stable and it doesn't work for me all. I'm 113 lbs and haven't noticed any weight gain, I am really sleepy and thirsty during the night but it helps with my mood."

Jamaican empress (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had been so unwell off meds for over a year and vomiting daily due to bipolar. I thought vomiting was from physical illness. As soon as i started this med all bp symptoms left AND my stomach is settled. No sexual side effects. Old me is back. No sides! Miracle drug! Weight gain for me will be a pkus not negative"

Yaybdtubfuj December 6, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took 3mgs of Zyprexa, contained in Symbyax, nightly for about 6 years. The medicine worked well for the first 2 to 3 years. Around year four I started having severe side effects and did not realize it was from the Zyprexa as it had been working so well. I suffered with increasing seizures for about three more years. Bad ones. I wound up in the hospital emergency room and it was the ER doctor that informed me that the Zyprexa was causing the problem. My regular doctor denied Zyprexa as a contributing factor to my seizures. I quit the Zyprexa cold turkey. To say the least it was an absolutely horrible experience. Wean off this drug over a long period of time and even then get ready for horrendous withdrawal symptoms after your last dose."

Ed McLendon (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 26, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I love Zyprexa (Olanzapine) it has calmed and removed my insanity. I now longer have panic attacks and irritability. I work in retail and i have been in trouble several times with my managers because i snap at costumers. But with Zyprexa it all went away it was amazing........BUT!!! i have to stop taking it because it caused SO MUCH weight gain. I use to weigh 170lbs and within a year i weigh now 226lbs. I don't even eat that much and i still don't lose weight. there's no point going to the gym and doing cardio because the pill prevents me from losing it. So now i have to ask my doctor to give me a medication that doesn't cause weight gain for i can lose the weight. I am so depressed that i have to stop taking it. it has worked wonders 4 me"

eliasadc (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 12, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medication is terrible. Made me feel drowsy and nauseous and eventually put me into the hospital causing pancreatitis."

t_stiver September 27, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Worked well for three months and then developed severe side effects."

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was on Zyprexa for a week 10mgs originally prescribed for sleep and coming off of Geodon. Gordon caused anxiety eventually. Zyprexa calmed me down but it was still hard to fall asleep without Ambien. I feel tired slow and hungry all the time the next day. But it did calm my nerves the next day so it may be worth it to give it a try."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medication has been very useful in reducing negative thinking. Most people take it at night. I find it more useful when I take it first thing in the morning. It works better if you avoid smoking. I've tried all different antipsychotics, Zyprexa is the only one that seems to work for me."

fyodor July 17, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Zyprexa was effective at sedating me which prevented the psychotic aspects of my manic episodes from happening very quickly. Since I only had 2 manic episodes in the span of a year, I probably should've stopped taking Zyprexa around 6 months later. Unfortunately I took it for 5 more years which was a MASSIVE mistake. It caused me to be very drowsy and lethargic. Because I started taking it at age 19, I didn't realize the Zyprexa was the culprit until I stopped taking it. I thought I was just a sleepy person. It had a profoundly negative impact on my life because I took it way longer than I should have."

Johnnyjohnjohn (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 19, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medicine saved my life."

kaube000 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 9, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was admitted to the hospital for severe hydration due to vomitting from being sick for a wk and prior to that completely lost my appetite do to a gluon intolerance I had become frustrated with food and I couldn't sleep was angry all the time, I was put on Apo-olanzapine aka Zyprexa and set up with a psychiatrist as an out patient...here's the thing I was prescribed this med by the psychiatrist for weight gain, but it also boost my mood swell , I feel like I'm a level playing field and the game is fair again. Definitely helps with depression, as I don't feel all is consuming me anymore and I eat everything in sight, I put 5 pounds on in 1 wk!!! So beware of that, its strange because you CRAVE food, all you do is think about food...lol"

quicksand (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Feel much better since I started Zyprexa!! Wished I had started it years ago! Zyprexa works quickly to calm a person down. Very progressive type of medication."

Magenta Clay (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on zyprexa for 5 days so far. I have been taking 2.5mg and I think I need to up the dose now to 5mg as it feels like it is wearing off. this medication is doing wonders for me, it is great! I can finally have 8 hours of un-disturbed sleep. Prior to commencing this medication, I was suffering from severe symptoms of mania such as insomnia, loss of appetite, high energy levels, psychotic symptoms (hearing voices, derealisation, making weird connections & magical experiences), making new plans, reckless spending & driving, new ideas, taking on too many tasks, agitation. the medication has calmed all of these symptoms. zyprexa is a god send for me. only side effect I have is low blood pressure from it."

Nataaaaalieee (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Stops dead on track those manic/depressive crisis moments. And I love the hunger it gives me. Great pill for me. My AP of choice. Always take this with .5 or 1 mg of clonazepam. ;-)"

corvohunter (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medication has made me extremely tired! I feel like I've lost all of my motivation. I am a teacher and a coach and find it extremely hard to get myself "up" to do these things. I am very tired in the morning and its not until late at night that I start to feel like myself again. Only in time to take the medication again and start the process over. It has taken away some anxiety symptoms and helped me sleep (a bit too much) but I feel down a lot because I feel like I lost my passion. I am slowly coming off of it and look forward to getting back to feeling like myself again. I empathize with people on this medication."

Jbazz123 February 12, 2016

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medicine sucked! I was asleep all the time, all day long! Couldn't function in school, couldn't function at work. I was tired all the time and was eating every food that I saw in front of me. If I could give 0 stars to this medication I would."

laluluke (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on Zyprexa for about six months. It takes a long time to work (about five months), but when it does you feel much better. I had to struggle with suicidal thoughts for several months before it started working. You HAVE to take this if you are bipolar. Do NOT stop taking it, and have hope. If you are down or up and are reading this then you have to remember suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary mood. I know the struggle, and Zyprexa will help if you keep taking it."

joru819 February 4, 2016

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My mother has a bipolar disorder..I just admitted it last month. She suffers from manic depression for a year then after a year depression occurred..most of the time she does embarrassing things "

eya (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2015

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking zyprexa 5 grams...a day..and I don't get any affects from pill? It keeps me mellow but not tired like everyone says? Kinda helps with mood swings..but not really! At least not for me?"

meegy (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2015

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I take gabapentin, and when I started it, I felt like I had finally found the miracle..but after a year it quit working. After this recent stay in the psych unit, My Doctor put me on Zyprexa 5mgs in the am, 10 mgs at night and it has been a Godsend..I feel so even, I sleep soundly, and wake up without no hangover, ready to take on the world. I have been eating like a pig, but I"m working on controlling that, and eating fruit and yogurt vs. cinnamon rolls and candy...The only drawback is I fear one day it will stop working. Overall, gabapentin and Zyprexa have been lifesavers!"

Zee-Zee November 10, 2015

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been talking zyprexa for about for about 2 weeks now. Family says they can tell a big difference. Mornings are a little hard to get motivated, but I also take Ritalin for add. So that helps me get going. Falling asleep easily and staying asleep. No more racing thoughts or depression. My anxiety is more under control. It does give me craving for food, but I have controlled it so far. I take 5 mg daily.so far so good."

sc hopefully November 8, 2015

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took Zyprexa for 14 years, and it stabilized my psychotic, auditory hallucinations of my bipolar I disorder. I was able to function in normal, social settings (church, friends, family, marriage and dating, even work) without having to deal with the voices I heard in my head when I was not on the medication. Unfortunately for me, the drug outlived it's usefulness, in my body's system ,right at the 14 year mark. I say "unfortunate" because I became so used to the drug's effectiveness, that I thought it would last me for the rest of my life, but as I look back, now, I'm happy to have had the time I did on Zyprexa. The side effects for me were minimal, and I am now stabilized on other meds. Zyprexa also worked well Depakote."

dukemangbob (taken for 10 years or more) November 6, 2015

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was diagnosed with bipolar manic depressive , acute anxiety, depression, ocd , borderline personality, and post traumatic stress syndrome, when I was 21... postpartum depression triggered something, I was constantly agitated and angry, and sad, .I would wake up angry, and cry allll day...my Dr prescribed me 20 mg zyprexa and I swear to you I was terrified, that it would take 4 to 6 weeks to really work (I didn't have 4 to 6 weeks to wait , I felt...) I was nearly over the edge completely, constantly thinking suicide, I took my first dose of zyprexa and the very next morning I woke up wonderful!!! I still get upset , but not like before, this medicine was truly a miracle for me"

Bi polar manic depressive (taken for 10 years or more) November 2, 2015