User Reviews for Zyprexa

Learn more about Zyprexa.

Zyprexa Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 85 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Zyprexa to treat Bipolar Disorder

"Worked well for three months and then developed severe side effects."

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2016

"Was on Zyprexa for a week 10mgs originally prescribed for sleep and coming off of Geodon. Gordon caused anxiety eventually. Zyprexa calmed me down but it was still hard to fall asleep without Ambien. I feel tired slow and hungry all the time the next day. But it did calm my nerves the next day so it may be worth it to give it a try."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2016

"This medication has been very useful in reducing negative thinking. Most people take it at night. I find it more useful when I take it first thing in the morning. It works better if you avoid smoking. I've tried all different antipsychotics, Zyprexa is the only one that seems to work for me."

fyodor July 17, 2016

"Zyprexa was effective at sedating me which prevented the psychotic aspects of my manic episodes from happening very quickly. Since I only had 2 manic episodes in the span of a year, I probably should've stopped taking Zyprexa around 6 months later. Unfortunately I took it for 5 more years which was a MASSIVE mistake. It caused me to be very drowsy and lethargic. Because I started taking it at age 19, I didn't realize the Zyprexa was the culprit until I stopped taking it. I thought I was just a sleepy person. It had a profoundly negative impact on my life because I took it way longer than I should have."

Johnnyjohnjohn (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 19, 2016

"This medicine saved my life."

kaube000 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 9, 2016

"I was admitted to the hospital for severe hydration due to vomitting from being sick for a wk and prior to that completely lost my appetite do to a gluon intolerance I had become frustrated with food and I couldn't sleep was angry all the time, I was put on Apo-olanzapine aka Zyprexa and set up with a psychiatrist as an out patient...here's the thing I was prescribed this med by the psychiatrist for weight gain, but it also boost my mood swell , I feel like I'm a level playing field and the game is fair again. Definitely helps with depression, as I don't feel all is consuming me anymore and I eat everything in sight, I put 5 pounds on in 1 wk!!! So beware of that, its strange because you CRAVE food, all you do is think about food...lol"

quicksand (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2016

"Feel much better since I started Zyprexa!! Wished I had started it years ago! Zyprexa works quickly to calm a person down. Very progressive type of medication."

Magenta Clay (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2016

"I have been on zyprexa for 5 days so far. I have been taking 2.5mg and I think I need to up the dose now to 5mg as it feels like it is wearing off. this medication is doing wonders for me, it is great! I can finally have 8 hours of un-disturbed sleep. Prior to commencing this medication, I was suffering from severe symptoms of mania such as insomnia, loss of appetite, high energy levels, psychotic symptoms (hearing voices, derealisation, making weird connections & magical experiences), making new plans, reckless spending & driving, new ideas, taking on too many tasks, agitation. the medication has calmed all of these symptoms. zyprexa is a god send for me. only side effect I have is low blood pressure from it."

Nataaaaalieee (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2016

"Stops dead on track those manic/depressive crisis moments. And I love the hunger it gives me. Great pill for me. My AP of choice. Always take this with .5 or 1 mg of clonazepam. ;-)"

corvohunter (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2016

"This medication has made me extremely tired! I feel like I've lost all of my motivation. I am a teacher and a coach and find it extremely hard to get myself "up" to do these things. I am very tired in the morning and its not until late at night that I start to feel like myself again. Only in time to take the medication again and start the process over. It has taken away some anxiety symptoms and helped me sleep (a bit too much) but I feel down a lot because I feel like I lost my passion. I am slowly coming off of it and look forward to getting back to feeling like myself again. I empathize with people on this medication."

Jbazz123 February 12, 2016

"This medicine sucked! I was asleep all the time, all day long! Couldn't function in school, couldn't function at work. I was tired all the time and was eating every food that I saw in front of me. If I could give 0 stars to this medication I would."

laluluke (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2016

"I have been on Zyprexa for about six months. It takes a long time to work (about five months), but when it does you feel much better. I had to struggle with suicidal thoughts for several months before it started working. You HAVE to take this if you are bipolar. Do NOT stop taking it, and have hope. If you are down or up and are reading this then you have to remember suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary mood. I know the struggle, and Zyprexa will help if you keep taking it."

joru819 February 4, 2016

"My mother has a bipolar disorder..I just admitted it last month. She suffers from manic depression for a year then after a year depression occurred..most of the time she does embarrassing things "

eya (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2015

"I have been taking zyprexa 5 grams...a day..and I don't get any affects from pill? It keeps me mellow but not tired like everyone says? Kinda helps with mood swings..but not really! At least not for me?"

meegy (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2015

"I take gabapentin, and when I started it, I felt like I had finally found the miracle..but after a year it quit working. After this recent stay in the psych unit, My Doctor put me on Zyprexa 5mgs in the am, 10 mgs at night and it has been a Godsend..I feel so even, I sleep soundly, and wake up without no hangover, ready to take on the world. I have been eating like a pig, but I"m working on controlling that, and eating fruit and yogurt vs. cinnamon rolls and candy...The only drawback is I fear one day it will stop working. Overall, gabapentin and Zyprexa have been lifesavers!"

Zee-Zee November 10, 2015

"I've been talking zyprexa for about for about 2 weeks now. Family says they can tell a big difference. Mornings are a little hard to get motivated, but I also take Ritalin for add. So that helps me get going. Falling asleep easily and staying asleep. No more racing thoughts or depression. My anxiety is more under control. It does give me craving for food, but I have controlled it so far. I take 5 mg daily.so far so good."

sc hopefully November 8, 2015

"I took Zyprexa for 14 years, and it stabilized my psychotic, auditory hallucinations of my bipolar I disorder. I was able to function in normal, social settings (church, friends, family, marriage and dating, even work) without having to deal with the voices I heard in my head when I was not on the medication. Unfortunately for me, the drug outlived it's usefulness, in my body's system ,right at the 14 year mark. I say "unfortunate" because I became so used to the drug's effectiveness, that I thought it would last me for the rest of my life, but as I look back, now, I'm happy to have had the time I did on Zyprexa. The side effects for me were minimal, and I am now stabilized on other meds. Zyprexa also worked well Depakote."

dukemangbob (taken for 10 years or more) November 6, 2015

"I was diagnosed with bipolar manic depressive , acute anxiety, depression, ocd , borderline personality, and post traumatic stress syndrome, when I was 21... postpartum depression triggered something, I was constantly agitated and angry, and sad, .I would wake up angry, and cry allll day...my Dr prescribed me 20 mg zyprexa and I swear to you I was terrified, that it would take 4 to 6 weeks to really work (I didn't have 4 to 6 weeks to wait , I felt...) I was nearly over the edge completely, constantly thinking suicide, I took my first dose of zyprexa and the very next morning I woke up wonderful!!! I still get upset , but not like before, this medicine was truly a miracle for me"

Bi polar manic depressive (taken for 10 years or more) November 2, 2015

"This drug caused me a lot of problems. At first it made my mania go away, but after a month on it I developed very stiff muscles. I was given cogentin but that didn't help, and after two months I became very spaced out and my family said I was saying some weird stuff but I couldn't remember. My pdoc finally took me off zyprexa after 4 months when I showed her how stiff my muscles had become ( walking a block was a chore) and told her my leg would start twitching by itself. Overall horrible experience."

Tkv (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2015

"Zyprexa has given me my life back in 4 weeks! I have the worst panic attacks and chronic nausea ever!! I have been on every medication under the sun with no relief, if not worse nausea because of the side effects of all the medications. I was on Klonopin, propranolol, hydroxyzine, and zofran every single day and I was still having really bad nausea and panic attacks so bad, I could not leave my house. Dr. prescribed Zyprexa 5mg and after 3 days, I started eating again. I have already gained 2 lbs but I needed to because I was so nauseated I couldn't eat. I'm so excited that I can eat again without feeling everything is going to come back up!!!! I hope it doesn't "poop-out" on me bc It's been a miracle!!"

Shyllie July 24, 2015

"If I could give this a zero rating I would...I was put on this medicine at 16 and it intensified all my issues.....It made me go into constant fits of rage and I gained almost 50 pounds...By far the worst medicine I've taken"

Marr June 25, 2015

"This medicine is very effective for bipolar. Before this, I cannot sleep at night, because my mind race. Finally after taken this I feel wonderful and no depressed anymore.. The effect is weight gain, before this my weight just around 74 kg, now it went to 99 kg..."

Mica89 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 12, 2015

"I was diagnosed as bipolar in 1987.I've always been treatment resistant. Nothing and I mean no meds have ever helped me before.I've tried everything over the years only to have bad side effects and no relief. ECT was actually being recommended to me then my Dr put me on a Zyprexa/ Prozac combination and for the first time in my life I've gotten relief from my symptoms and no side effects. I can finally think clearly. I feel like a totally new person a much better one."

LocaWhetta March 24, 2015

"Zyprexa is the only antipsychotic that doesn’t make me feel like a zombie! I kept my personality and my energy. It almost feels like I don’t take an antipsychotic. I take 7.5 mg, because my psychiatrist told me that when you take less then 10 mg daily, the risk of metabolic syndrome is low. It’s very good for treating mania and it augments the effect of my antidepressant. The only downside is that it’s a little bit difficult to wake up."

bipolar12345 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 8, 2015

"The olanzapine works for me. I sleep at night and my thoughts rarely race now. And it is so wonderful not to feel depressed. If it wasn't for the weight gain, I would give it a ten."

bluemoose (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2015