User Reviews for Zyprexa to treat Major Depressive Disorder

Zyprexa has an average rating of 4.8 out of 10 from a total of 19 ratings for the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder. 32% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 53% reported a negative effect.

Zyprexa Rating Summary

4.8/10 average rating

Compare all 54 medications used in the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder.

Reviews for Zyprexa

S.NewMe · Taken for less than 1 month October 1, 2015

“I am 5'3" tall and weigh 94lbs. I was prescribed several different antidepressants over a span of ten years along with Klonopin 1mg tid and Remeron 45mgs at bedtime for anxiety. I finally decided to see a Psychiatrist and she put me on 2.5mg of Zyprexa at bedtime. Just one dose and I was a completely different person! I woke up rested, smiling, happy, energized and a sense of well being again! This drug was like night and day for me! I am now on day 5 and I just keep feeling better! I am doing things I never dreamed I would and was able to get the job I've always wanted! For me, Zyprexa has truly changed my life and I hope it helps others the way it has helped me! The only side effect I've had is increased appetite (which I needed). :)”

Reallytiredtbh · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 22, 2020

“I started taking zyprexa when I was hospitalized for suicide. It worked, I felt less suicidal because I felt more dull. Zyprexa is a medication meant for short time use and many people end up on it for years and years. It acts a sexual suppressant though, which I didn’t notice until I was off of it and suddenly felt more easily turned on. It is very hard to get off it and has some side effects; it took me 1 yr to taper it down and when I finally got off of it I am now having terrible issues sleeping.”

Jenee · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 29, 2020

“I've been trying different meds for anxiety for years. I have debilitating anxiety and depression. Zyprexa started out great, my head cleared of the perpetual fog and I was able to function. Two weeks later I started becoming a zombie and my hair started falling out. It's been a month now, I'm now on Seroquel, gaining weight and my hair is still falling out by the hand full. I simply don't know what to do.”

DPDR Guy · Taken for less than 1 month October 19, 2015

“Zyprexa has been a life-saver. I was literally to the brink of suicide because of my Major Depression, Generalized Anxiety, slight Bipolar II, OCD, PTSD, and Depersonalization/Derealization. I have been on it for about a week and I feel complete difference already. No more night terrors, no more worry about the littlest things, no more feeling anxious around people, and no more not feeling like my bad self again. I feel the best I've felt in 2 years cause of this! All my symptoms have gone away with little sode effects, despite the weight gain and a lethargy an hour after taking it. I take at night, 5 mgs, I may start taking 2.5 mgs in the morning to help the morning edge off. I heard allot about the diabetes, hope it doesn't happen to me.”

Steve Stevenson · Taken for less than 1 month April 21, 2015

“For the amount of calmness I got from this drug, I was still physically alert and able. That's more than can say for most antipsychotics. It helped me sleep, and the following day my anxieties were lessened. I also found weird glimmers of hope in things, that had to be my depression lifting. It's a miracle to me. However, I gained 20 pounds in one month, and the doctor saw that as a reason to get me off the drug. Food had this crazy magnetism about it; it quickly became the most valuable thing on the planet, and I was having cravings for food unlike anything I've ever craved. If you can take the drug without binge eating, congratulations, because it works. Still, most people on this are overweight.”

Karebear · Taken for less than 1 month November 5, 2019

“So I don't know if I'm alone here, but Zyprexa gave me very strange, borderline psychotic symptoms. I started having thoughts of tripping people or pushing them, complete strangers, btw...these thoughts came out of nowhere. I took it for about a month and had to stop taking it out of fear that it would get worse. I told my doc about this and he said it wasn't a typical reaction but I know what I felt...”

Beth · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 24, 2021

“I had an episode of major depressive disorder and was given this med. I weighed 154 and have never had a weight problem. Within about 6-8 months I gained 60 pounds! It increases your appetite but also slows your metabolism by a lot. At the higher doses I had stomach issues like diarrhea daily. I had bad nausea 90% of every day and lived on ginger. We’ve been lowering it now very slowly for a few months and I completely stopped it 2 weeks ago. The side effects are terrible. I’ve missed so much work as I’ve had horrible migraines, weakness, shakiness, etc…. This is a horrible medication!!!”

Zzzach · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 29, 2017

“Avoid this like the plague! I have had irreversible damage to my metabolic system because of this medication including my thyroid. Evidence came out after the medications release that they hid these symptoms to get a quick release. Gained 30lbs in 2 months on this. I weaned off 10 years ago and am still dealing with the ramifications of this drug. Not worth it.”

JOH · Taken for less than 1 month February 20, 2021

“Do NOT take this medicine. It caused my dad to get diabetes, and I took it not knowing that it was the same medication and gave me a terrible reaction. I had to be rushed to the hospital. I couldn’t walk because I was so out of it. I started talking funny, I couldn’t focus, much less keep myself awake most of the time. This medicine is for schizophrenia patients NOT bipolar. This medication has lawsuits on it continually because of it causing so many issues”

tonio78 · Taken for less than 1 month July 7, 2016

“this drug didnt do shit to me. it actually made me feeling worse. my doctor doesnt want to take me off it. ive been taking it for 3 weeks for anxiety and hasnt done anything. plus i have put on 7 kilos. my dosage is 7.5 mg.”

Happy Dude · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 13, 2017

“Wow this medication has helped me tremendously lower my anxiety and actually enjoy going out and the intrusive thoughts have not disappeared totally but I am able to shrug them off. I was taking 2.5mg in the morning and 2.5 at night but successfully decreased by half for day and night.CBT has helped as well. I am not a doctor but if your debating on if you should take it I would. The weight gain is a side effect but I have managed by limiting to 3 meals a day and not having any sweets in the house. Take note I am also on Cipralex and Lamotrigine so the cocktail of meds is helping alot”

Kmotion October 4, 2016

“Prescribed Zyprexa after taking Duloxetine/Cymbalta made me suicidal. It did mellow my mood, helped me gain back the 30 lbs I had lost during height of illness. Hated the inability to laugh or cry. Hated the dry mouth. As a dancer the stiff, dry joints were dangerous. I hurt my knee because the extreme change in my flexibility. Took it for 3 months.”

Betty jo February 7, 2021

“This medicine made my mom go into a seizure that lead to her death- stay away from this drug!”

mcdougall rae mich · Taken for less than 1 month October 13, 2016

“after 4 weeks on this medication my partner of 18 years a 35 year old man died from its side effects”

Mecrazy March 10, 2015

“I gained 100 lbs but slept well and felt mentally ok”

Mahmoud May 11, 2021

“it's a good medicine, I feel me again during one week ! Sure I have gained weight but it is worth it as my depression and anxiety are more under control”

Katjo80 · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 30, 2017

“This taken with Zoloft helped me tremendously with my mdd, ptsd and ocd. Did gain some weight this last time taking it, but mentally feel 98% better”

DeanBNE · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 17, 2021

“I could only tolerate a very small dose of this med Zyprexa, it did nothing for depression. Good for sleep. Ps I’m a slow metaboliser of CYP2d6”

Dibdo · Taken for less than 1 month October 31, 2016

“Amazing drug ! Love it .”

T · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 2, 2021

“This drug saved my life. Helped immediately when I was going through a separation”

Learn more about Major Depressive Disorder