User Reviews for Zyprexa to treat Schizophrenia

Zyprexa has an average rating of 5.4 out of 10 from a total of 54 ratings for the treatment of Schizophrenia. 35% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 37% reported a negative effect.

Zyprexa Rating Summary

5.4/10 average rating

Compare all 80 medications used in the treatment of Schizophrenia.

Reviews for Zyprexa

Tinkerbel · Taken for 10 years or more September 9, 2020

“Zyprexa saved my life with schizophrenia. It cleared the utter chaos, despair, hallucinations, voices, bipolar mania, accelerated and disruptive thinking, unfocused mental confusion, flat out psychosis - in a matter of a day. I took 15 mg.”

Geoff November 4, 2019

“I was on Zyprexa at 25mg (had Psychosis) for a few months, literally, the worst months of my life, all I wanted to do was eat and sleep so tired and foggy and I had no motivation so glad I ignored doctors and got off it as soon as I possibly could. if there was an option for Zero I would give that this stuff is utter garbage.”

NoJustNo March 28, 2019

“I take 10 mg of zyprexa at night and it makes me feel like it I've been chemically lobotomized. Not to mention the irritability And being tired all the time. This medication made me sleep for 10 whole hours and I still feel sleepy after waking up. Also my motor skills have been cut in half, I keep stumbling over stuff like I'm drunk and having blurred vision all day. This medication is a mental handicap in a bottle. How in the world does this help out with schizophrenia and depression?? I would not recommend this medication to anybody. Eli Lilly should be ashamed of themselves.”

Anonymous January 1, 2009

“This medication killed my schizophrenia in two months. But I gained 20 pounds which is okay considering I was a little underweight. The worst side effect was that my eyes would not move. Finally a doctor told me to cut down my dosage from 10 mg to 5 mg and this lowered the occurence. When I lowered it to 2.5 mg the side effect completely went away. Now I feel great and the schizophrenia is still gone. I recommend Zyprexa but the doctor has to be really careful with the dosage.”

Anonymous January 18, 2009

“I've been taking Zyprexa for just over a year now and have seen dramatic improvements in my life. I used to be incredibly paranoid of people, was hearing voices and was delusional about my physical health. I'm on 20mgs of Zyprexa and most of my symptoms have cleared. Some of them remain, but they're much more tolerable than they used to be. The only drawbacks I have noticed are weight gain and slowed reactions but I'd rather live through those side effects than experience what I did before treatment.”

Costa pork · Taken for 10 years or more September 21, 2017

“This drug saved my life, I had been on almost all atypical meds with no luck. Now I have been on 40mg of zyprexa for 10 years with no relapses, and have even managed to hold down a job. I gained 20 pounds and an now a type 2 diabetic, but it was worth it. My family and friends noticed rapid improvements within a week of starting zyprexa. A little hint, when starting zyprexa, ask your dr to prescribe benztopine, it prevents many of the negative side effects of zyprexa. I hope this review helps some one :-)”

Kj9 January 11, 2021

“I was given 20mg Zyprexa in the hospital. This drug is horrible. The side effects hit me hard, severe dizziness, dry mouth. Now down to 5mg feel like my life is draining out of me with sweats, dizziness, trouble doing anything. It's not like I just dropped to 5mg. I went 7 days 20mg, 7 days 15mg, 7 days 10mg, 7 day 7.5mg and I'm currently on 5 mg day and I feel like screaming. I wish I never was introduced to this med sorry”

Toka September 26, 2020

“I feel very sleepy, very tired. I got brain tumor. It might be side effect of Zyprexa or hydroclorizoride a water pill. Because of Zyprexa I gained a lot of weight and got high blood pressure, diabetes, and cholesterol.”

bjohn33 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 7, 2021

“Like other drugs, zyprexa has different effects on different people. For me, the drug was a life ruining experience. When I was on it, (for a psychotic episode) I had severe side-effects, including sedation, emotional numbing and life threatening metabolic deterioration. With a psychiatrist's help, I cross-titrated from it to Latuda. However, I happened to be in the fraction of people that has severe repercussions from discontinuing Zyprexa. With withdrawal, I had severe insomnia, which half a year later, has only mildly improved. I have had to be on Ativan to get some sleep, and there are many testimonials to the same experience I've had -- Zyprexa can for an indefinite period of time disrupt sleep regulation. Because of this, it should not be tried unless newer antipsychotics with a more focused receptor profile have been attempted.”

A.A · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 19, 2019

“It has some initial side affects like feeling dizzy. But all in all after more than 7years I totally like the drug. I have been on 5mg for about 5years now. I took 5mg all through my pregnancy based on doctors advice and I gave birth to healthy baby girl 2 years ago. I was also able to breast feed because the drug was not found in my breast milk due to low dosage I was using according to doctor's report.”

morgs · Taken for 10 years or more October 27, 2020

“I started taking Zyprexa 10mg in 1996 until in 2017 which is when I began tapering due to health reasons. I am now down to 2.5mg but have gained a lot of weight, pain in joints, inability to sleep well, anxiety for no reason, memory loss, inability to think, no motivation, crying for no reason, terrible pain in my arms, muscle cramps in my feet, pancrititis, constant eating, lack of feelings and enjoyment. Extremely difficult to get off it, it ruined my life!”

mickwicken July 15, 2019

“For 5-6 years I have taken Zyprexa for schizo affective disorder . Weight gain isn't a problem if you lift weights 5x5 and eat lots of protein during the day and a casein shake at night. You might still gain weight but it'll be muscle as long as you cut out carbs and sugar while eating more protein than your body weight and a lot of fat that'll do it...”

27yearoldmale June 19, 2012

“I take 7.5mg a day for schizophrenia, I have only been on this medicine for 5 weeks but it has helped me immensely with both negative and positive symptoms. I have gained weight but its a small price to pay for some peace of mind, honestly couldn't be more grateful for this medicine.”

Bilbo · Taken for 10 years or more January 9, 2021

“I have schizophrenia. I was on 40mg of Zyprexa for 14 years, lots of side effects such as 70lbs weight gain, high cholesterol and triglycerides, diabetes, and it made me sleep like you wouldn't believe, 10-12 hours a night. But it did work well for my anxiety and psychosis. However, after 14 years it lost effectiveness. I started having hallucinations again. It took me 3 years of a slow taper to get off it and the withdrawals have still been a nightmare, all kinds of weird symptoms (which have all disappeared now) but the main problems remaining are anxiety and insomnia. I never had insomnia problems before or during the use of this medication. I've been off it for almost 2 months now and am still experiencing anxiety and insomnia. I was switched to Latuda which is a phenomenal medication, no side effects and total effectiveness for my schizophrenia.”

Bella April 27, 2021

“I am very grateful for Zyprexa. I had a very scary problem of not being able to sleep for a long time, resulting in psychosis. This happened twice in my life within a couple years of each other. The first time they put me on haldol and depakote. I was in so much pain I could not move, and at the same time the depakote gave me horrible shakes and no filter when talking. Worst of all I still had a lot of trouble sleeping. I was lucky enough to taper off them completely eventually and my sleep returned to normal. However two years later I lost my job and could not sleep, the same thing happens. I was put on 5mg Zyprexa and 10mg Lexapro. In less than a week I was stable and sleeping (very) well. Yes I gained weight but I have learned to control it. I am now doing well and down to 2.5mg. I think the key is a smaller dosage. I read some people have 15mg, I think I would have a lot of trouble with side effects too if it was that much. Maybe ask your doctor if you can do 5mg or less.”

DatMexicanLalo April 4, 2012

“Before I took Zyprexa I was hallucinating due to lack of sleep and exhaustion. While I was hospitalized I denied my medication and wouldn't take it but as soon as I took Zyprexa and Remeron my sleep got better. I stopped hallucinating & hearing things. Thanks to my medication I haven't been hospitalized for psychosis since I've been given Zyprexa.”

Anonymous August 7, 2011

“I am currently on Zyprexa and I have been using it for a year. My life completely changed. I have less fear and I am more relaxed. The only thing though is I experienced fatigue whenever I woke up. But so far, the results were great! My doctor did a good job!”

Hana · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 19, 2020

“Zyprexa worked for me to some extent. My paranoid thoughts and anxiety almost completely went away, however I had some negative side effects. One major negative side effect was weight gain. This caused me to feel very insecure about myself. I had very poor eating habits and I would crave foods that I wouldn't normally crave, especially in the night time. I'm not sure if this is common or uncommon, but while I was taking Zyprexa, I felt emotionally numb. I couldn't feel emotions like I did prior to taking the medication. My sleep was also regulated while taking this medication, but I would sleep for long hours and would have difficulty waking up in the morning. I don't take Zyprexa anymore. It did help with some of my side effects relating to my mental illness, which I am glad about, but I feel that it caused negative effects in other aspects. I think we need to weigh the pros and cons because most medications won't be "perfect" without any side effects.”

Laserjik · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 23, 2012

“Got this medicine and was amazed at how I recovered. I wasn't paranoid, was relaxed and loved life. Until I kept taking it for a couple years and all the symptoms returned I now am withdrawing, which is a nightmare. ”

jacmore · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 8, 2019

“I am overall very pleased with Zyprexa for my Schitzo affective disorder. My son says he's never seen me so welI. I've been on this medication for about 8 months. I've gained about 25 kgs which I hate and I need about 10 hours sleep each night, but at least I am well. ”

Nutty Rich · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 13, 2016

“An amazing medication considering the earlier antiphsycotics available, I think its more expensive that could effect availability. I do suffer from shaky hands but its the only side effect noticed.I take 20mg at night, it doesn't make me sleepy, no weight gain or hangover effect. Don't increase the dose it doesn't help it just gives restless legs and I was informed a dangerous to increase”

Czr · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 17, 2019

“I was on 15 mg of Zyprexa and it completely got rid of all my symptoms. The only complaints I have are weight gain and sedation. I gained 70 lbs in a 6 month period and slept for 14 hours every night. My cholesterol went over the maximum limit and my blood sugar rose to a level that made me a prediabetic. Other than that, I would try this drug again.”

Druger February 15, 2020

“I was on Zyprexa for 1 month and 1 week and in that time I gained 20+ pounds and did not help with ANY of the symptoms I was having. Didn't help with voices, delusions, paranoia. Nothing. Was really a complete waste of time and to top it off ruined how I look. (I used to be a very thin 160 pound male, and am now 220...) that's from all the antipsychotics I've tried combined. Zyprexa being the worst one for weight. I give zyprexa a 2 only because it did sedate me a bit relieving anxiety. I'm now on Loxapine which is supposed to be weight neutral but I'm still putting weight on from that a bit.”

schizoeffective · Taken for less than 1 month July 20, 2015

“This drug has turned down the volume on a lot of my voices. Which is great. I sleep better and take more naps during the day. Also notice my appetite increased which is where I think people mean they gain weight on this med. I just exercise an hour a day. My mood is kinda flat lined.”

Goodfella90 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 15, 2015

“Was hospitalized after psychotic break proscribed Zyprexa 20mg at first the medicine was ok my paranoia and schizophenic thoughts went away. But after about two weeks i started to notice the side affects weight gain was the most obvious gained 40 pounds in two months and sleep i was sleeping 9-12 hours a night it was difficult to wake up in the morning. During the day i felt unmotivated and at work i had no energy even after drinking an energy drink.lowerd my dose to 5mg it didnt make difference. after about 6 months i had enough decided to try an other medication now i fell much better. bottom line Zyprexa was the worst med ive ever tried.If you want to try this med beware you will gain weight.”

Learn more about Schizophrenia