User Reviews for Escitalopram

Bipolar Disorder

Trichotillomania

Summary of Escitalopram reviews 7.7 2,285 reviews

Reviews for Escitalopram

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "Absolutely destroyed my stomach. When I eat just a carrot my stomach bloats to 3x it's normal size. I have a flat stomach and I'm fit so it isn't comfortable at all. It also hasn't helped with my PTSD, anxiety, or depression. I have felt no difference in my symptoms."

Della (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2019

For Depression: "Looking back I realized I suffered from anxiety/ depression since I was a child. In my early teens I started self medicating with alcohol/drugs ,of course I did not realize I was doing that, or that it only made matters WORSE. In my early 30's because of high blood pressure problems I also admitted to the depression. The doctor tried a few different anti depressants. The side effects of them dry mouth, headaches, weird dreams and I had no mood improvement, so I gave up on them. Years later, after a major life crisis I tried again. Escitalopram had virtually none of the side effects I struggled with from earlier experiences and worked for my depression. I noticed a difference in my mood. After several years I decided, since the crisis was over, I felt "stable" so I asked the doctor to wean me off the medication. Within a 10 days, I asked him to remind me to NEVER let me do that again! I noticed a HUGE difference! It was a good reminder, showing me how much it really did help."

tdwillis April 10, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "My issues: OCD, ADHD, depression, anxiety and panic attacks, annoyed, unhappy, extremely high sex drive, negative. Lexapro helped my anxiety, depression, panic attacks, and lower my sex drive for a week, than came back up not so high but to normal. Although I been waking up slightly early it makes me attack any task that may be bothering me. Time line and reason for taking. Parents lost their home 2008. Parents divorced 2009. Almost lost my marriage 2018. Also 2018 had to start a new job, turns out boss was extremely abusive, later on would try to make up by buying us lunch. My emotions fluctuated"

Dad (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2019

For Depression: "This medication made me more depressed, unmotivated, sad and just feeling flat. Prozac worked better. Went off Lexapro."

Gail April 9, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "The good side of Lexapro reduces unwanted thoughts associated with depression ie suicidal thoughts. The other side of Lexapro is it's ability to increase interest in life activities. There are more pros to Lexapro than cons. An added benefit is that it builds up your inner strength to navigate through anxiety. It also mysteriously decreases interest in sex, which is not always a bad thing. Lexapro isn't physically energizing. It's more sedating, but also not great for insomnia. The best part of Lexapro is that it works for many months maybe many years and buys you plenty of time to adjust your life to make it better. The sad part is that it's not euphoric which would be nice every once in a while.I had a rare side effect starting Lexapro where I'd have to take OTC pain relievers because of muscle pain, but it went away after a month or two."

thomas aquinas April 9, 2019

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Escitalopram has changed my life, for years I fought not to take anything! I suffered from terrible anxiety brought on by my menstrual cycles, I was bulimic for years, had terrible uncontrollable thoughts that would wake me from sleep, irritable bowel problems and occasionally I would catch myself counting . My quality of life has improved greatly !"

Better (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 5, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "Worse med I’ve ever taken. I started with 20mg. The first day I felt like I was high. I was super anxious and paranoid. I was super shaky. Randomly crying. When I say crying I was sobbing I couldn’t stop. I felt tense and I couldn’t stand up because I was dizzy. I was scared to go through a door way because I felt like the room got small. I felt really suicidal, I took myself to the hospital because I didn’t feel like myself. I have major depression and this caused me to feel like I hit rock bottom. I discontinued after the first dose. Scared to try anything else."

Tes (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "Totally useless! Started this med at 10mg lexapro for OCD. Did not experience any relief from my symptoms til I started going to a psychologist. My psychiatrist advised me to stay on it and it was a huge mistake. Years later I suddenly became extremely depressed in spite of being on it!! Dr bumped it up to 20mg but still did nothing!! Later it was a bunch of trial and error trying different meds to finally feel better. I tried being off any medication for a while but it was very hard to sleep so having started Lexapro has essentially permanently changed things in a bad way for me! Stay away from this useless med!!! For OCD, I recommend going to a psychologist first before starting any medication."

Zzz (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 4, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "For the past year or so, my anxiety has been at an all time high. I couldn't sleep at night. I couldn't eat a full meal. I felt lost and hopeless. A few weeks into my new job, I went to a new physician's assistant. She prescribed 10 mg of Lexapro daily for anxiety, and 50 mg of hydroxyzine as needed for anxiety and insomnia. She also suggested I look into therapy. The two days of Lexapro was a nightmare. I was foggy, dizzy, nauseous, and not able to stay awake for more than a few hours. I went onto this website and read testimonials that inspired me to keep going. Now that I am 4 weeks in, I am so happy I decided to stay on Lexapro. I am able to tackle stressors more effectively. I feel more content and happy in my everyday interactions, and am leaning more into my support system of close friends and family. My appetite is normal and food actually tastes good again. I am looking into counselling/therapy options. I feel hopeful for the first time in a long time."

funsize April 3, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "After getting IBS suddenly out of nowhere. And then trying every “natural” treatment under the sun, I knew I had to try something new, especially since I work in a field where I can’t just go to the bathroom when I need urgently. I started taking escitalopram at 10g and felt a little dizzy for the first few weeks but it has been amazing, it has dramatically decreased my IBS symptoms and I feel so much more at ease!"

Kate (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 2, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I have been taking Lexapro for about 2 months now. I started taking it to treat my worsening anxiety due to stress, school, family, etc. After a few weeks of taking it my anxiety was a lot better I was more calm, peaceful, etc. But I started becoming tired all the time and super unmotivated and lack of enjoyment in the things I once loved. Then I started realizing how much more depressed I was becoming. I am still taking Lexapro but now my depression is worsening I have suffered from depression in the past and while Lexapro has helped my anxiety it has made me extremely depressed."

mylifesamess (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2019

For Depression: "I feel escitalopram does the job well for my depression. The medication helps you manage stress, which, in turn, makes you inhale more oxygen, therefore, making you physically active and mentally calm at the same time. Though the side effect may vary from person to person in case the smaller dosage doesn't work you may need to increase the dose as per your body response rate. Remember to consult your doctor as he/she is best to advise per your condition. Anyone using this may experience systematic weight loss, trust your doc this will eliminate sedentary lifestyle for good. This even helps to kick procrastination (your first point of advise has to be your doctor only). This is not an advisory for weight loss."

Rv J (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2019

For Anxiety: "I’ve been trying to deal with GAD and work related stress myself for the last 18 months, a recent melt down (manic crying episodes, panic attacks, fear of leaving the house) landed me in my GP’s who prescribed me 5mg of Escitalopram. Long story short, had to come off of it after 4 days under the doctors advice. 3 hours after taking my first dose (and the following 4 days) saw me having severe nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, agitation, fever, hugely dilated pupils, accelerated anxiety and only 6 hours sleep over the whole period! GP explained it was Seretonin Syndrome and my body couldn’t take the medication. After this scary first experience of taking an anti anxiety med I’m going to do everything I can (CBT, supplements, diet and lifestyle changes etc...) before I put myself in the position of trying a drug like this again!"

Rocknrollajod (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2019

For Anxiety: "I started taking 10mg of lexapro & after 5 yrs was increased to 20mg for PTSD,anxiety & panic attacks. After 3 weeks of being put on Lexapro I felt normal. I took Lexapro for 6 yrs. I was in a situation & didn't have access to my lexapro for 2 weeks. After the withdrawals (minimal) I didn't feel bad. I was more alert & happy & outgoing. I went back on it when I regained access to my normal dose & my mood changed immediately back to what I had thought was normal for 5 yrs. I stopped being spontaneous with laughter, stopped going out with friends, dinners,etc. I weaned myself off over the course of 1 month & am free of this medication & feel normal. I get up at 6:30 am, exercise & eat a healthy diet, I am creative again, calm within my head & surroundings 95% of time, happy & eager to be part of this world again. My question is was I possibly misdiagnosed, have I matured as an adult, was I on this medication so long that it became ineffective for it's initial purpose or did it served it's purpose?"

Lisa March 29, 2019

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I started escitalopram low and steadily increased to 15 mg daily in the morning. First 1-2 weeks were a phase of adjustment. My personal side effects were mostly sleepiness and feeling a bit out of it. At best, always plan in free time when starting on a new medication. I've been taking it for a year now and it keeps my panic and anxiety from OCD in check. I still have an urge to check certain things. Sometimes I still find myself in OCD-thoughts but they are manageable and I'm able to get out of the loop myself rather quickly. The medication took a couple months to work, maybe 2 to 4. My only noticeable side effect now is that after I take it in the morning I sometimes feel a little bit nauseous and a bit funky, in the sense of "ah, I just took escitalopram,... right". That goes away quickly though and is ignorable. Medications sometimes only lift you up and put you on your feet back again, but don't cure you of your illnesses. I'm able to work again thanks to medications and therapy. Good luck!"

hope33 March 28, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I first started lexapro on 1/10/19 with a small dosage of 5 mg. Every 4 weeks I’d follow-up with my Dr see if an increase should be made . Current date is 3/28/19 & I’m on 20 mg. My experience with it has been wonderful . I suffered severe depression, OCD and anxiety . Because of my depression , I’d have mood swings and everything irritated me. I started on Prozac which is wonderful for anxiety but the vivid dreams were so intense I asked to be removed from them . Now on lexapro I still dream every day but they are tolerable dreams. Depression is no joke, folks. Please keep in mind , what worked for me may not work for you and vice versa. Find something that works for you ! I thank Lexapro for making me feel normal again."

Soccer Mom March 28, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "Had terrible breathing that was a little bit of asthma but seemed a lot worse than it was, the breathing problems could last hours or multiple days at times and would come and go, sometimes would end up in full can't breathe panic attacks, actually thought it was anxiety because of this before a diagnosis. Had a chest x-ray, spirometry and bloods done to make sure there was nothing sinister and then put on Zoloft 50 mg, which I think may have been too much too quick, and this caused me to go into a near manic, panicked and upset state for about two weeks until I went back to the doctor and said that zoloft had taken a breathing anxiety condition to a crying, manic and nearly considering admitting myself state. He changed me to 20 mg Lexapro and I must say I began to settle. Give it at least 4 weeks people, be brave in the early days when you think you are losing it, it will get better, I thought I was going to lose it in the first weeks, it was a very dark time."

Jarmin March 26, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I haven't been on it for very long but at the moment I'm neutral. It's better than some stuff I've taken but it doesn't stop me from getting dangerously low moods on bad days. It's also left me feeling quite detached..."

Sam (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I have had generalized anxiety disorder for most of my whole life and always wanted to stay away from prescription drugs and always tried to reduce my anxiety with exercise, medetation, etc. it took me moving cities and having a few anxiety attack’s to try lexapro 6 months ago and ever since my life has been so much more calm and even. I still get anxiety sometimes but it’s a healthy amount and I don’t hardly worry about things that aren’t a big issue in my life. My only problem with the drug is the drowsiness and the crazy vivid dreams but otherwise it’s been great!"

Wy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 24, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "After taking lexapro for about three months I lost about 70% of my hair. My doctor did not tell this was a potential side effect and now I am even more depressed than before I started taking it. I spent six years growing out my hair until it was long and beautiful and now I look like a sick person. Not worth it."

Cora (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 23, 2019

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I really wanted Lexapro to work. I started taking it in September. Started off at 10mg by day 11 I felt 100% better. But it was very short term. Two weeks later I was even more depressed and anxious than when I started. My doctor upped my dosage to 20 mg, and within about 4 weeks I felt the difference. I was happy, bouncing back from things quicker, etc but I noticed weight gain, gastric distress (really bad constipation), high libido but sex was painful and I could not orgasm the way I normally could, my anxiety increased over time, I was also grinding my teeth a lot. I went back to 10mg but it made me depressed, so I'm on 5mg. But at 5mg constipation is back, libido has decreased tremendously, and I'm always tired."

sara March 22, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "Overall I feel much better since I’ve been taking Lexapro and that started at day three. My doc wanted me to take 10 mg and when I did I was extremely agitated so backed off to mg. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to keep or maintain an erection and I’ve lost the ability to ejaculate Hopefully that all changes as I am only on week three."

Joe Fiddle (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2019

For Depression: "I asked my Doctor for a mild depression medication after brain surgery. He recommended Lexapro. The first week I took 1/2 a 5mg pill. Upped to a whole pill Friday. By Saturday I was having anxiety, which I've never had before. Now, 6 days in the anxiety won't quit, I can't sleep. I'd rather go back to not taking it. At .25 I did stop crying all the time. Anyone else?"

Rosa (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I've had bad anxiety (mostly social anxiety) for as long as I can remember, and taking this medication has finally allowed me to function. I started on 5 mg I think, and the only annoying thing when I started was I was tired and yawning all the time, but once my body got used to it, it didn't make me tired anymore. I now take 10 milligrams, and I did try taking 15 because I still had depression, but at 15 it seemed like I was just getting side effects without added effectiveness. I'm going to be trying a different medication just because my depression has been kicking my butt, but this did work for my anxiety."

ade987 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 22, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I’ve only been on Lexapro for a week and I’m already feeling better! I don’t feel like my life is controlled by unrealistic fears and worries anymore. I’m still having some anxiety and anxiousness but not nearly as bad as before the Lexapro, I’m sure as I continue taking this medication as I’m supposed to that my life will continue to improve. My relationship with my significant other has already started to improve as well. Some minor side affects but nothing to worry about! They will subside in another week or two."

Momwithgad (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2019