User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 8 reviews 139 medications

7.2
Trichotillomania 2 reviews 3 medications

Summary of Escitalopram reviews 1631 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Escitalopram

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I suffered a bad panic attack my senior year of college and that experience seemed to open the floodgates of anxiety that I had been keeping dormant most of my life. It was tough for me to get out of the house, go to the gym, see friends and family for months. I finally broke down to my mom and she suggested seeing a therapist. At first I was hesitant to take any meds but I finally gave in and started 10mg of generic Lexapro. Worked wonders and felt fantastic. I stopped taking it a year or so later thinking that I was "cured". Let me tell you, that was a mistake. My GAD has come back with a vengeance. Started up on the 10 mg lexapro about 10 days ago and I almost feel worse. Maybe it's just taking its time now but I'm hopeful it will be ok."

TryingToSeeTheUpside March 29, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Hello people. 3 years ago when I was in med school, I experienced a terrible anxiety problem. It was a mixture of both, generalised anxiety disorder and obsessive compulsive disorder. I had issues attending classes, couldn't sleep at night with weeks of sleepless nights worrying and obsessing. And I decided to see a psychiatrist. He put me on 5mg lexapro and 2.5 mg diazepam daily taken at night. I was very compliant to treatment and saw a tremendous improvement in my mood with the OCD symptoms totally vanished in like 3 to 4 weeks. I was better able to handle my life and went on to complete medical school and managed to graduate as a doctor now. If it wasn't for lexapro, I don't think would have got this far in life."

MalaysianBoy (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 29, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I had IBS for nearly 10 years, Escitalopram 10 mg daily was a miracle for me, when I start taking it during 2 days my cramps were completely gone and as I had the diarrehea dominant form of IBS ,the constipation that is the side effect of it was good for me."

Ade Nour March 28, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I was experiencing bad anxiety and was on cymbalta. My Dr switched me to escitalopram and it did not help at all. I am still on it and now on clonazapam. The clonaz helps my anxiety 100 percent but now my depression, especially the physical symptoms like over sleeping, not wanting to eat, diarrhea, full blown depression. Cymbalta helped all of that so now I am seeing my Dr to go back on the Cymbalta, which really helps my depression and the physical pains of it, as well staying on clonazapam. I feel like I'm in a black hole and can't get out. It's scary. I want to shake it and I just can't. See my Dr this Tuesday thank goodness. Hope to feel better soon."

Carrie b m (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I began taking 5 mg of lexapro 10 days ago, for postpartum depression/anxiety. It has been a lifesaver. The initial side effects faded within a week. I take it in the morning, because I knew that it would possibly make me jittery at first. I had tiredness in the afternoon and evening and a loss of appetite for the first 5 days, but those have faded completely. I searched and searched for positive reviews on this drug for postpartum depression/anxiety and could not find any. If anyone is on the fence about taking medication for postpartum depression, please consider it for a temporary aid in getting you past it."

tiffaday March 24, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I was prescribed Lexapro after some fairly rough depression and anxiety. I had been in the hospital 3 times in 2 weeks for anxiety attacks. The first day after Lexapro, I felt the depression gone. Literally the first day. However, the first 3-4 weeks were rough. I definitely had nausea and was VERY sleepy. But after about a month, the nausea and sleepiness went away. A nurse at our doctor's office basically told me to suck it up, and that I had to give the medicine time to work. I toughed it out, and after about 6 weeks, it was like a cloud was lifted and I have felt AMAZING ever since. I didn't realize that I have probably had depression and/or anxiety for decades until I found out what it was like to feel great. Still great after a year."

Chris_Kansas March 24, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "My life before this god send medicine was awful agitated, stressed with no reason, light depressed I couldn't think straight. 2 months of taking this drug felt it relieved all . I take only 10mg of cipralex. Please all IBS suffers I know what painful IBS are and embarrassing. please don't give up try this you wouldn't feel relieved for awhile may be 1 or 2 or 3 months but it will work - don't give up. I hope IBS suffers find this helpful for them. thank you a'll"

ibs suffers (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 21, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: "This changed my entire world.. I'm 21 Female I've been on Lexapro for 3 months now. My experience, there was a very quick change in my life. I was not aware I had major depression, that was the real kicker. I do not remember a time I felt this alive/"normal"/happy/connected."

Krissycat0 March 21, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "30. Male. I was completely lethargic and I had pretty bad anxiety. I always stressed about job assignments at work and rarely ever wanted to leave my room at home. I had no energy and I frequently called into work. I thought I had low testosterone so I had some bloodwork done, my doctor prescribed me lexapro 10mg in the meantime and I felt my anxiety and depression just disappear. I remember the moment I knew the medication was working when I was sitting on my porch feeling glad to be alive for once, enjoying the weather and just smiling. I feel like my old self before the crazy depression. Yawning and diarrhea is annoying. But I'll take that to enjoy little pleasures in life again."

Theaudiowar (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I have been on lexapro for 7 months and it has helped me greatly! I was on Paxil previously and gained 20kg so asked to change medication. Lexapro has stopped the panic attacks and made me feel more confident, I can now go to the shops on my own, drive places on my own and hang out with friends without thinking the worse will happen. Only thing is I've gained about 8kg and I cannot lose the weight. I had no side effects what so ever when I started, maybe it's because I was previously on Paxil, but I didn't have any side effects apart from weight gain with that either. So if you are feeling nervous about starting this medication because of the side effects don't be, you might be one of the lucky ones who don't get side effects."

AshP21 March 19, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I've been taking lexapro 10mg since Jan. It has helped with my depression. But I started feeling down an anxious. So I asked for my dose to go up. I'm now on 20mg. I can feel the difference. I do take clonazepam for when feel my anxiety kicks in. However I've come down feeling very sick since starting the 20mg like I did when I started the 10mg. Not a very great side affect. I also get very sleepy so I do have to take it at bedtime. Dreams seem very real. Scary real. Hopefully I don't have to be on very long when my vitamin d goes up to its normal levels."

chyster March 18, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "Seems like the whole world is on antidepressants these days. Docs doling them like candy. I was on a low dose of lexapro for years and finally got off of it (which wasn't a pleasant experience either) I might add. I had gained 20 lbs, was exhausted with no energy a mandatory 2 hr afternoon nap, oh yeah and it zaps your libido! All things to consider. I've switched to Wellbutrin and seem to have much less side effects."

Mafromva (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 16, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I am in week 3 of this medication for generalized anxiety & panic. So far, it's been great besides my constant drowsiness. Does anyone have this as well?! Will this side effect pass?! In the past I was on 20mg of Celexa (beginning in 2011 until 2016) I decided to come off my celexa last summer which was a terrible idea as my anxiety and panic came back stronger than ever. My doctor suggested lexapro and I have noticed a change in my anxiety and panic! Just drowsy."

Linds77777777 (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I was suffering from major depression and anxiety disorder. I had adverse reactions to Zoloft and Trazodone so I was beginning to believe there was no hope. I could not function and the anxiety disorder caused high blood pressure, anorexia and absolute dysfunction of my life. I couldn't go for more than a few hours without xanax. Then my doctor put me on Lexapro. I began taking 5mg a day on 3/1/2017. After 11 days a miracle occurred, I woke up with a positive attitude for the 1st time in ages and each day has been even better. There is hope. Side effects for me was morning fatigue so will switch to taking at bedtime. My blood pressure was 107/66 today at my doctor appointment. I don't even need the xanax and I am hungry for once."

Annieisfinenow (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I've experienced major depression along with high anxiety. Lexapro has been FANTASTIC for me in helping to get rid of my depression AND helping my anxiety significantly. I've tried Prozac, and compared to the two Lexapro has given me much less side effects, has not interacted with other drugs I take, works faster, and has given me my life back. Overall, I think anyone who is suffering with depression, but also has high anxiety can definitely benefit from this drug. It's been great for me and I think it's worth a shot for anyone who isn't having much luck with other SSRIs."

deagle415 March 12, 2017

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I was prescribed lexapro about a year after my assault. I took only one pill. It made me feel worse than the anxiety it self. I was in a daze all day not sure how I made to college that day and back home. Walking was like I was drunk and the overall feeling inside me was horrible. what a waste of $65.00 back then."

creativenina March 10, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Body Dysmorphic Disorder: "I have binge eating disorder. The first day I started these, I noticed a difference. I wasn't eating until I puked. It helped me so much. I had normal portions. I didn't feel the need to eat when I was a little upset. It helped from day 1 and continues to do so."

Anony1803 March 9, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "My anxiety and depression really bogged me down and made me bound to my bed until I started taking lexapro. Honestly the first 1-3 weeks the side effects are very rough as your brain has to get accustomed to the changing of chemicals. I had blurry vision, dizziness, sweating issues and felt weird, but I stuck to it and eventually started waking up earlier than ever which was uncharacteristic and started enjoying life. This drug is great and makes me want to major in Psych. Recommend"

Brando33555 March 6, 2017

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I've been on lexapro for about 2 weeks. The first few days I felt amazing. I just got a kick of energy and happiness. It felt great. Soon after that I was majorly depressed again and back to my suicidal thoughts. Everything that goes along with depression. Hopefully it begins working soon."

Gerxcxsline March 5, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I was pretty bad before taking this medication. I was depressed and socially anxious, I would even dissociate. After taking it initially I felt "lighter". After couple of weeks slowly I got better and better. I got a job, was not afraid of people and was feeling happy. Side effects were getting fat(at the end of the treatment) and insomnia (at the beginning of the treatment but it went away after a week or so). Another downside was that I was still anxious under the surface but having in mind how bad I was before that it was a miracle. After stopping it the symptoms of SAD came back. Currently on no meds and with social anxiety. Took it for 6 months. It got me out of hell."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 4, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I suffer from depression and anxiety. I was on a number of meds before my doctor put me on Lexapro.. they were all horrible and made my anxiety worse. I was starting to lose hope that I would never find a medication to help. Thankfully Lexapro is helping! It's a lifesaver!! I could tell a difference after the first day..I'm much more "normal" I don't fly into a rage so easily, I don't feel overwhelmed constantly and I'm not irritated all the time for no reason. My moods are much more stable. Before Lexapro I seriously felt like I was losing it. My husband even told me he notices a huge difference in me since being on this. I'm also prescribed klonopin for my anxiety but since being on Lexapro I haven't had a need to take it. I love Lexapro!"

AmberLynnxX (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2017

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I've taken this medication for a year and a half after switching from Zoloft (that wasn't helping at all) and while Lexapro somewhat improved my anxiety I haven't seen a major difference. I still get anxiety attacks every now and then and get depressed to the point I cry a lot. I personally find xanax to work much better for my anxiety but everyone is different."

76574 March 4, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Not Good"

Airguardtn March 3, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Before taking this medication, I went into a time in my life where I would wake up every morning feeling anxious. My heart pounded very hard, I felt nauseous and puking would make me feel better. I felt alone, and didn’t find care in my heart for other people like I had before. God has made me a loving and caring person. But my anxiety and/or depression, not 100 percent sure what it is, took over. I would look at people on the streets walking with smiles on their faces, and wonder… man… how can they be happy? Even when I see other people who look sad or down, it makes me feel worse. Like, the world is so messed up. I am unable to shine my light on others because of the anxiety I feel. I started taking escitalopram and my life has changed I can smile again"

steffanini (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I started taking lexapro for anxiety and depression. My anxiety was so bad at times, I felt like I was having mini panic attacks. The worst part of my day was the thought of waking up and having to go to work. I have 3 children and felt like I couldn't take care of them, thank god for my family. Besides the occasional Advil for a headache, I do not take any other medications and didn't really like the idea of being on this type of medication. BUT, you know what? I have a family, friends, a career, and house, so if I have to take a little pill to feel better, then so be it. I'm just glad I don't have to suffer and there is help out there."

Beach bunny82 March 3, 2017