User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 9 reviews 44 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 42 reviews 46 medications

7.1
Summary of Escitalopram reviews 1568 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Escitalopram

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "Didn't notice an effect yet..."

M246 January 20, 2017

For Anxiety: "I took it on first day 10 mg ! Shaking of body , confusion , vomited 4 times , feeling sick , can't talk as much through mouth due to confusion . Burning sensation in body , passing out . Etc ! Don't take it if it's worse"

Gffff (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I've been on lexapro for almost a week... I've been through hell within these past few months with trying to get help. Finally got in with a new dr. & My dr. prescribed me lexapro & adderal. The lexapro I take at night, because it makes me tired. It has eased up my depression. However I have an upset stomach all the time now. But my anxiety is bad again. Uncontrollable crying episodes are back. Not sure if it's the adderal making me anxious... but it's hell. My clozapine isn't even working anymore like it was. That medication made me feel normal. Now it's not working. I was told lexapro would help my anxiety, & it hasn't."

Blue star January 16, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "My son was a heroin addict which upon learning about it sent me to a very high anxiety level. If he wouldn't answer the phone by the time I drove home in my mind I thought for sure he was dead. This medicine made me normal again no thoughts like before no crying episodes and just calm. I'm on 10 mg been on it 2 years. Just feeling great"

Drososny (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 16, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Have been on escitalaporan for just on 4 weeks . The first week was a little tough and the doctor gave me diazepam to help . After week the first week I was still not settled but was able to stop diazepam ! Had headaches for the first 3 and a half weeks , Panadol helped . So have just reached the 4 week mark and feel I've turned the corner !! Diet is very important . No alcohol , caffeine . Lots of water , bananas , sushi and yogurt . Started seeing a therapist and am learning about breathing and finding out ways that might help in the future . Starting a yoga course and feeling much happier about myself ."

Boutique January 16, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: "This is a wonder drug. If you suffer from any type of anxiety, especially PTSD, and depression, especially major depression, this drug will ease your symptoms to a minimal. This is a "clean" feeling drugs and works great. Now the bad side: this drug has way too many side effects to recommend to anyone that is not retired or hospitalized. Without adjunctive therapy with an atypical antipsychotic this drug will make you numb and turn you into the walking dead. Cloudy, foggy, and lethargic with memory issues are the main side effects associated with this drug. Further side effects include but are not limited to erectile dysfunction and the libido of a 90 year old man. Aside from these effects this is a super SSRI!"

Grimace McShake (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 16, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "My new psychiatrist saw me over a 6 month period. He was not convinced I was depressed. He felt I suffered from anxiety, finally he prescribed escitalopram telling me it could take a month before I would see an improvement. I didn't see an improvement. Then I realized it is difficult to see the absence of a condition. Life is good, I am not drowning in an ocean of anxiety. I approach difficulties as normal people do, recognizing and identifying them, then tackling them. My only complaint, is this was not prescribed for me years ago"

Spudginger January 14, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I've had anxiety and severe panic attacks for a year now. 10 mg helped but still had attacks on the weekend. I just started 20 mg so hopefully that will stop them completely! The two weeks of side effects (headache, insomnia) are worth the end result!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 12, 2017

For Anxiety: "The first 3 days of taking this I couldn't stop yawning!! I was literally yawning about once every minute. This went on for hours, it was incredibly annoying (although I've heard this is a very rare side effect). Finally after 3 days the yawning subsided. On the 4th day I was so nauseous I couldn't even eat. Now I'm 3 weeks in, I still sometimes get nauseous but nowhere near to the extent that I was nauseous on day 4. Also my sex life has drastically taken a hit. I went from being a very sexual person to now not finding any pleasure in sex at all. Also my mind is foggy and I'm very distracted. I'm stopping the medication today because I haven't seen any improvements in my anxiety."

Al82 January 12, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "Been on it about 2weeks don't feel any better"

Ellabow (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I've been on lex for almost a month and so far my side effects have been minimal. The first week, although I didn't have anxiety problems, it seemed to spark a few anxiety episodes. Nothing major. I started with 10mg and today is my first day of 20mgs. I'm a little worried about side effects. I'm still having a problem wanting to get out of bed. I just feel like I have no energy to do anything and I hate this feeling hence the increase to 20mgs. I'm going to stick with it because although I'm still struggling with the lack of energy, is helped at least put a few smiles back on my face here and there. All I know is I want to get better, I have to get better! Good luck everyone I'll check back in 3 or 4 wks & give a complete update."

Life will get better... (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2017

For Anxiety: "I've taken escitalopram before and it worked good for my anxiety but I stopped taking it after about two months cause I felt better. The shortness of breath came back and takes a while to go away. I can't even exercise anymore due to it. I had to resign from the fire academy cause my body could not keep up. I've always been fit. Anxiety can be really frustrating because of the physical symptoms. Escitalopram did work for me and fast like within days. I also had problems having sex, and I love sex. I was very sexually active in high school and short after until I hit 22. I'm 28 now. I have good and bad days, mostly bad. I want my sex life back, and I want to be able to work out like I used to. Anyone else have SOB?"

Guy5433 January 8, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Escitalopram (Lexipro) has significantly decreased my constant anxiety. I suffered from non-stop worry and fear related to my job, future, social gatherings, business meetings, etc. Now I rarely suffer from negative, ruminating thoughts and I enjoy life and work much more. I feel so much more connected to the world around me, having previously felt so different and alienated. There have been some negative side effects including a significant drop in my libido. But even my wife would tell you that she prefers the stable, calm person that I am today instead of the irritable, anxious and, yes, sex-obsessed, person that I was prior to seeking treatment."

I'm free ! -Libre de ansiedad (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 8, 2017

For Depression: "I've had life long crippling anxiety, my doctor first recommended escitalopram to treat my GAD after several hospitalizations from panic attacks. I was really hesitant but it's been the best decision ever. I feel normal for the first time in my life. The first few weeks were a little rough because it made me extremely tired and drowsy, but I was just relieved not to feel anxious. It's been a lifesaver. I can leave my house, I can eat, I can sleep, I can go out with friends & I haven't had a panic attack in months. I have gained about 15 lbs but that's the only negative I've noticed."

pearlmother (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 8, 2017

For Depression: "I was taking Lexapro for years up until 2013 when I was brave enough to try to get off of it. I successfully got off after a long and gradual dose cutting process. I've been doing well until a recent bump in the road that sent me down into a hole. I went to my doctor and took my first dose yesterday. Holy hell wagon! I've honestly never felt worse in my entire life. This drug showed me what depressed really means. My ears were ringing, extremeties felt like they were being electrocuted, lethargic, and a feeling of utter devastation came over me. All these feelings just came rushing to the surface. All this guilt I felt about breaking up with my ex. I reached out to her last night and we might get back together. Maybe worth it?"

sexy lexy January 5, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I was put on Lexapro 3 years ago to treat depression & Premenstrual dysphoric disorder. The first 2 months were standard. Adjusting and getting the dose right. I ended up on 20mg. After the initial adjustment, I experienced panic attacks, which came frequently, worsening anxiety - over 3 years, gained 12kg. It in no way helped PMDD. I weened myself from 20mg down to 5mg over 6 months which was HELL then stayed on 5mg for another 12 months. I have since had my ovaries removed and a total hysterectomy to get rid of PMDD. Now 4 weeks ago, I stopped the 5mg, cold turkey, as the tapering was so bad. Lexapro took so much of my life, and coming off is the hardest thing I've ever done and I'm still withdrawing after 4 weeks. it's been a nightmare!"

Shayro January 4, 2017

For Anxiety: "My only regret is not taking this sooner in life. I suffered with anxiety as well as PMDD that disrupted my life and marriage frequently. I had tried Cipralex previously but was scared off because I started at full dosage. Upon the guidance of my pharmacist I started 5mg for two weeks and then went up to 10. Side effects were minor and went away after a month or so. I still have some difficulty climaxing and may start taking Wellbutrin as well to negate this. Otherwise I am a happy, carefree confident person. I'm social, I have no more social anxiety and very little anxiety in general. I am calm and don't sweat the small things. I hope this continues to work for me."

Mands01 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 3, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "After I was diagnosed with Depression and Anxiety, I was prescribed Zoloft 50mg at first. Taking 25mg for a week, and slowly increasing to 50 mg, then 100mg. It was horrible. The first two weeks I ended up restless and could not sleep, I was also shivering and tense during the day. I was then prescribed Lexapro, which helped me get back to my normal sleeping schedule. It did help with my anxiety more, but it did not do much for my depression. My constant hopelessness went away, but I didn't really find the will to commit to goals, motivate myself, and just become more content. I'm really just feeling like I'm in the middle. It's been more than 7 weeks now on Lexapro and I might look to change to something different."

laurar1993 January 2, 2017

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have OCD, GAD, PTSD and depression, agoraphobia, panic attacks. It is helping. Early side effects were hard, nausea, insomnia and some higher anxiety. Take it in the am if you get insomnia ! This helped me. I'm glad I pushed through the early side effects. It took over 7 weeks to start to feel better, so don't give up unless SEs are too bad. Some posts say it's a miracle cure. It's not, you still have to do the work: therapy, diet, self-help etc, but it can help with the fear and racing thoughts. It's helping me but if I'd believed all the big claims here I'd be disappointed.Keep your expectations realistic, give it time, and do everything else you can to be healthy. It's an aid, not a cure, but can help."

SooNoFear (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 30, 2016

For Depression: "I started taking escitalopram for severe anxiety and depression. The initial side effects really sucked. I couldn't work, was constantly tired, clenched and shaky jaw. I wasn't "there" for about the first 3 weeks on 10mg, I went up to 20mg after 1 month of 10mg. I'm now on week 9 of treatment and feeling better than I ever have before. No more anxiety, panic attacks or locking myself away in my room. I'm actually getting up and doing things again. I'm daydreaming and not dwelling on the negatives anymore. It has completely switched my mindset. Feels as though I've come out from underneath a dark cloud and can see, feel and hear again. Has worked absolute wonders for me personally. I cannot cry and feel a bit emotionally masked though."

Anonymous December 30, 2016

For Anxiety: "I decided to try Escitalopram after battling severe anxiety and depression for over 4 years. The initial side effects were extremely hard to cope with. I personally couldn't work for the first 5 days. I struggled to concentrate, function normally and just slept all the time. After about day 10-11, I was feeling good but a bit zombie-like as if I was living but not really emotionally there. My doctor recommended I start taking 20mg after 1 month of taking 10mg. I'm now on week 9 and feeling somewhat normal again. It's been a trip out to wonder whether this is the actual happy me that went missing or whether everything is just being masked. Overall I am happy and my anxiety and depression has vanished. Still can't cry though."

grace-g December 30, 2016

For Anxiety: "Before I started taking Lexapro I would be anxious constantly and it the anxiety interfered with my daily life. I would avoid events, people, and responsibilities, now I don't do that anymore. I'm generally happier and functioning better in life. I also found that my anxiety opened the door to depression, now thats gone too. It took 2 months to kick in Side effects: good news is I didn't gain weight on it. My biggest complaint was that it totally killed my sex drive and made it virtually impossible to orgasm, HOWEVER I found out that taking it at night instead of in the morning brought my sex drive back :) I also feel a bit numb emotionally but it's so worth it I still take .25-.5 mg Clonzepam a few times a week if anxiety flares up"

MyNickname (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2016

For Anxiety: "Use less benzos now that I'm taking Lexapro. Works well for anxiety!"

Anonymous December 25, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I'm on the 3rd month of taking lexapro , started off with 2.5mg every night for about a week, then upped to 5mg and when I saw my doctor again 2 weeks later he told me to try the 10mg and I have been on 10mg ever since. At first it's none stop drowsiness weird random dreams and anxiety and insomnia at night. For a good 4-5 weeks , but after that it's cravings and you eat more and calmly and it gets better! It has work wonders! Hopefully it continues to work!"

Khriz December 21, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Didn't work for me (4weeks) and made me tired"

cw33 December 19, 2016