User Reviews for Escitalopram

Major Depressive Disorder

Trichotillomania

Summary of Escitalopram reviews 7.8 1,995 reviews

Reviews for Escitalopram

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Hi guys, 24 year old female, I have tried Zoloft in the past and prozac before I tried lexapro. 4 weeks in on 10mg and I didn’t feel it working much for my mood so I went up to 20mg. And I slightly feel more calmer. I’m on this medication for extreme anxiety and panic disorder. It has helped dramatically, and it’s only been 4 and a half weeks now. I was crippled from anxiety and scared to go out in public just in case of a panic attack, but now I feel like it’s more manageable. I haven’t experienced severe side effects (thankfully). I don’t experienced fatigue and just feeling really lazy and lack of motivation to exercise. But it is so much better than waking up in an absolute panic. It’s amazing how I has helped me. Good luck to anyone trying it."

Smurfygirl June 22, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have been using this excellent medicine. for the last 4 months for severe OCD. I started on 10 mg and now I am on 40 mg. It has almost completely cured my OCD. I saw a 80%-90% reduction of my symptoms. I would advise everyone with OCD to use this excellent drug. It would help you get cured. The best dosage is between 20-40 mg for the drug to show it's maximum potential. For me personal 30-40 mg is the best dosage."

PANSELINOS1977 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2018

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I started on 5 mg then increased to 10 mg after a month.I have pmdd as well as depression, and anxieties.This worked better for me than sarafem (prozac) which caused me to gain weight. I take just one tablet at bed time since it does cause drowsiness. I actually lost a few pounds since taking the 10 mg a day and it seemed to help my constipation.The only real side effect is dry mouth but it makes me just drink more fluids which is good for my body anyways to keep it hydrated. I'm actually very pleased with this drug and happy with the results.I t goes to show that not all SSRI drugs work the same."

Moddy (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "This medication works really well for me with minimal side effects. I have taken it for some time."

Lee (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 19, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I have suffered from anxiety and depression for as long as I can remember, through a lot of ups and downs, I am finally feeling myself. This drug is amazing, I’m usually anti-med, and the only negative side effect of this drug has been on and off nausea. My anxiety has been significantly reduced, and my depression has also seemed to have subsided greatly! I would recommend giving cipralex a chance out of any other SSRI."

Kat June 19, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I was once you, reading drug reviews online, trying to find reassurance. Before you read this I want you to know that my experience is not your experience, or anyone else’s for that matter. For me, this drug did not work. It seemed to create incredibly obsessive and unwanted thoughts, which in turn led to more anxiety. I also became pretty depressed, and felt drugged. I took myself off of it and now I’m returning to normal. If you can, try the natural route first, and use benzos for short time acute anxiety if you can. If it’s still bad, give Lexapro a try. I know it works for plenty of people, just not me."

Adim7 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2018

For Depression: "Have taken Prozac for 35 plus years. Dr. Just switched over to this, and within a week I am functioning better than I have in years. So far so good! Thank you."

Haul (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I remember when OCD began to ruin my entire life last year. I was graduating nursing school when the symptoms began, and I just remember thinking that I would never ever be able to live a normal life. Once I was diagnosed and started receiving treatment, in addition to starting this drug, I began to gain my life back. All the things that I loved and had passions for started to return. You have to let this drug give time to work, however. It takes time, and acceptance is always the biggest step in managing OCD. After about two months on it, the side effects dwindled away. Everybody's body is different, but I would definitely recommend this!"

Anonymous June 13, 2018

For Anxiety: "I suffered from major depression disorder, anxiety and OCD. I take lexapro 20mg . It takes a few weeks to work but I feel like a new person. I didn't give it a 10 because the only side effect I experience is bruising on my legs. Also, you have to do some work yourself to feel better (exercise, yoga, meditation, drawing etc.) There is no perfect pill out there, but lexapro with the combination of therapy, exercise and yoga has really helped me!"

J816 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I suffer with agoraphobia, generalized anxiety, panic attacks, emetophobia AND depression. I know, quite a list. I have suffered for over 40 years. Mainly due to the emetophobia (fear of vomiting) I feared side effects of meds. This is the 2nd time in my life being on prescription meds. I started taking Alprazolam in 2004. This was great, I am still on the same dose I was back then. 0.5 mg. This gave me a life outside of my home!!! I was basically housebound since I was 14. By 2009, I told my Dr. of 30 years I wanted more of a life. I hadn't seen the ocean since I was 13. I NEEDED to get there again. He put me on Lexapro. My dr. put in a special authorization to the insurance company. You may want to talk to your Dr. and have him do this for you."

Bonnie June 11, 2018

For Depression: "I was very hesitant to take anti-depressants, even though I have struggled with mild to moderate depression and anxiety most of my life. After a romantic relationship ended and I lost my job, I felt I would give Cipralex a try. I am a 35 year-old female. Pros: very limited, short-term side effects that mostly went away, helped reduce some anxiety, I lost weight and did not have a need to emotionally eat as much anymore. Cons: no significant improvement in my depression, made me sleepy throughout the day. Advice: when first taking this medication, take it when you have a few days off from work and no big plans as it causes sleepiness and insomnia at the beginning (at least it did for me). All medications work differently on people but this was my experience. I know some people saw this as a wonder drug; you will never know until you try!"

Tina (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2018

For Anxiety: "So 4 months on with this drug (2nd time around) and I would say for the most part this does work well. Anxiety is a way down....yah there is some good days and bad days, like everyone but in general things coming along nicely. This isn't a miracle drug, it's meant to make things more manageable. Which it does perfectly, for me anyway. Patience is key.....give it 2 months. Also do not miss doses, symptoms seem to come back pretty quick. Best of luck to all. Patience...."

Andrew (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I started taking Lexapro a month ago. I felt it working right away, which I was told I wouldn't feel anything for 4-6 weeks. I always had non stop leg shaking and my jaw would clench tight for the first week. Forget about sex!! ughhh that is why I am giving an 8, but I am just happy I don't have to cry every night over a box of crayons or be unfocused because the anxiety was so high."

Angel (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 8, 2018

For Depression: "Helps my anxieties but makes it a little difficult to wake up in the morning."

Bootsy (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 8, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "Please!!! Do not take this drug unless you are willing to go through the horrible side affects. At first you may need it or think you need it. I've been on for over 10 years. It might work but eventually you start feeling like rubbish and when you want to try to go off it!! Have fun. Instead find something else - look at all your options!! It's worth the time to do your research or go through these horrible withdrawals!!"

Duke June 7, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I have tried this before and found some relief. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it blunts my emotions."

Ian (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I am over 59 years old, female, post menopausal, and have benign hypertension (controlled by medication). I take .75 MG Xanax at bedtime and have for years. I began Lexapro March 29, 2018, 5MG and increased to 10MG. I had a routine blood test. There are now macrocytes in my blood results. I have never had this before so I did some in depth research. One study involved over 60,000 people. Women my age and older who take Xanax, have high blood pressure, and are post menopausal account for 95.5% of those in the study who develop macrocytosis. Since this condition is potentially dangerous, do blood work often if you have to take it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 30, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I have been on Lexapro for 3 weeks now and am feeling so much better, as I used to have this flatness hanging over me I couldn't shake. The first 2 weeks were hard to adjust to as I felt nauseous, tired and fuzzy headed from the drug. Now I'm feeling so much calmer and the fog has lifted. No full on side effects like weight gain or loss of libido for me. I am taking 10mg at 7pm and would totally recommend for anyone who has been trying to cope with depression. Hope you feel better soon."

Bec (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I've battled anxiety for 40 years and finally went on 10 mg lexapro. It works fantastic for me and after 9 months I weaned myself to 5mg a day. That was a mistake I had panic attacks more anxiety and so went back to 10mg today. I don't think I can ever stop taking it."

mick (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 27, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I wanted to share my positive experience with you. I started taking Lexapro about 6 weeks ago. My anxiety months ago started to get away from me due to a family stress event. I have dealt with anxiety in the past so it’s not new for me but this time it was getting out of control. My worries were non stop and sleep wasn’t happening. So I started Lexapro beginning of April. By the 3 rd week I was getting good relief from my anxiety. By week 6 I was back to me. :) So hang in there. It takes time but it worked for me. And I very much hope it works for you. Anxiety is debilitating. And hard for others to understand. Good luck everyone. And say some prayers too. That will get you through. ❤️"

Angie (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I have taken Lexapro(Brand only) for years. I Tried the generic twice for the insurance companies. 5 generic tabs did not produce the results that 1 Lexapro Brand did. Recently for the 3rd time United Healthcare simply decided that they would just "Not Paid for Lexapro". Every genetic make-up is different. Lexapro works for me, however I cannot pay $535.00/ month. I am suffering terribly and will probably lose my job and livelihood tomorrow because I cannot cope. I wish the insurance company would have to pay unemployment benefits."

nurse (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 23, 2018

For Anxiety: "I have struggled with anxiety, fears/phobias and bad thoughts creeping into my head, especially at night. Despite regular counselling and self help, I was still struggling and without sleeping well, I was having a hard time functioning. I went to my dr and he prescribed me Escitalopram. I started out on 5mg for a week, then went to 10mg. I felt extremely tired at first, at around 3pm, but I actually enjoyed it as I was relaxed for once! I take the pill first thing in the morning, with my coffee, and dont feel any side effects, ie stomachs upset, dizziness. A month in, I was starting to feel some symptoms of anxiety creep back in, so I was recommended to go to 20mg. Since then, I feel way more in control of my emotions, fears/phobias, etc. It hasn’t gone away, but it somehow feels further away, and manageable. Great experience for me."

T-bird (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 23, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I've now been on lexapro for 5 months now. Doctor started me on 5 mg. The initial side effects for me were drowsiness after taking so I took it after dinner. I am now at 15mg. I no longer experience drowsiness. I am a completely different person. I am so happy I stuck through it. This medication takes time! I am now able to have small talk with cashiers. I am able to take better care of myself. I don't feel as anxious and for the first time in my life and I feel comfortable with myself. My emotions are very stable. I no longer get stuck in a deep depression or self destructive thoughts. The long term side effects I've experienced is not being able to orgasm as well and 6lb weight gain."

Geogaddi (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 23, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I took Lexapro for 11 years. I started out taking 10 mg, for the first 5 years then the Doctor pumped it up to 20 mg daily. I broke out in a rash that I could see on my stomach ,arms, and neck. I also got dermatitis on my scalp. I suffered nausea and gained 50 pounds. I went through all this because I had 2 panic attacks in my late 40s. I decided to tapper off Lexapro to see how I felt without a antidepressant to get me through the day. Believe me, it’s been hard! The side effects on going off this drug has been the most worst thing I have ever gone through. I ended up in the emergency room feeling like I was dying. I am still dealing with the effects of withdrawal symptoms but I would never take Lexapro again !"

Dawn (taken for 10 years or more) May 22, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I have used Lexapro for approximately. 8 years. I can't say that the drug is an effective antidepressant but it does modulate mood swings and generally improves my sense of well being."

Barry (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 21, 2018