User Reviews for Escitalopram

6.9

Trichotillomania

Summary of Escitalopram reviews 7.7 2,080 reviews

Reviews for Escitalopram

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "After years of battling depression, anxiety and insomnia I finally broke down and went to the doctor again. This time determined to ride out the horrible side effects and actually let it work. I didn't want to be on medication and most cause weight gain, which was a big part of why I fought it so long. But Lexapro was the right choice for me. Getting through the adjustment period was rough, but in about 3 weeks I was feeling notably better. Still on 5mg and will stay on this dose as long as possible. It has been 2 months and I have gained a couple pounds, but I have also been very undisciplined with my eating. Stick with it, good luck!"

Chrissy (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2018

For Depression: "I have been on generic lexapro going on week 4 now. First week I noticed my anxiety was worst then before, second and 3 week got really bad nausea and headaches still experiencing it now going on week 4. Is this normal? Also I been having to pee a lot at night. I do feel my energy is back but also I been yawning like crazy and my stomachs gurgles."

Gina (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2018

For Anxiety: "Escitalopram really saved my life. I had anxiety for 5 years and at first had no idea what was wrong with me. I was put on several benzodiazepines which worked for a short time but did not fix the problem . After 5 years a new Doctor asked me to try escitalopram and told me that there are side effects with it and if I stick with it the side effects will go away. It was hard. I started on 5 mg and slowly got me up to 30 mg , all the side affects went away and I feel so amazing. I now have no more anxiety and I have my life back and I am so very happy now So my advice to anyone starting to take this med please be strong and stick with it know matter how hard it is. Trust me I wanted to stop it but I toughed it out and so happy I did for about 4 weeks and what a big difference it made"

Dave (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "It makes me feel great, and it's way less invasive than any other drug I've tried (Fluoxetine, Sertraline, Paroxetine). I do not experience sexual problems at all (male), no diarrhea, no trembling. However, it does make me feel a bit dizzy sometimes but it's something you get used to. I'm on 10mg and I truly feel like I'm making progress."

Lu (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 12, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I was depressed because of my anxiety. I started taking Lexapro 9 weeks ago and feel the depression lifted, but going places (my trigger for the anxiety) is still there. My doctor tells me to hang in there. And I am. But I'm not sure it's helping with my anxiety. I rarely leave the house. I hope something switches soon. I need to take something for my anxiety and that alone. Lexapro works for depression part. Has anyone found a well-working medication for just anxiety? Because that is what I need."

Long-time sufferer (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 11, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I have just started my round of Auro-Escitalopram and I am on day 5 of my 5mg half-tab before going on a full 10mg tablet. I take my medication at night time. The first 3 days were sort of rough; I felt different. I could not put my finger on why but I felt a bit sedated, a little odd and definitely felt “drugged”. I had a mild headache, some dizziness and I felt like I was going to faint. My appetite has diminished, my stomach was upset, I am also gassy and had some dry mouth. The first 3 nights I was also met with mild restlessness and it was hard for me to sleep longer than 5 hours. I woke up at 3AM and was peeing like crazy. With that being said, the side effects have subsided somewhat after day 5 and I am starting to notice that I can start to control my racing thoughts. I get tired at bed time like a normal human being and I can finally wake up in the morning without feeling like a zombie."

LittleAnxiousOne (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 11, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "It was the best thing I ever did for myself I haven’t looked back. The first week I felt sick & extremely anxious. I have GAD. But I pushed through and came out the other side. That heavy weight I carried around on my chest got lighter everyday and 3 months later it is honestly gone. I feel so good I am in the present moment, I enjoy things, my relationship is better then ever, no arguments anymore, no stressing over silly things. My OCD symptoms are minimal I can tell myself I don’t need to do it right now and I won’t where as before I would have insomnia. I am 21, at uni, living my best life now, I recommend lexapro it brought me back down to earth. My anxiety ruins all my relationships, starting arguments & my anxiety makes me angry, currently I am at peace, no stresses, I can sleep, no heart palpitations everyday, stable relationship & happy. I wish I started it sooner . I am enjoying getting to know this side of myself as I have only known my anxious self the last few years."

Orangejuice (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I have started cipralex for the first time on 2013 and I was very tired suffering from severe anxiety causing me very depressed . My dose was 5mg for two weeks, 10mg for month 20mg for year then 10mg again and I stayed on 10 mg for 4 years and it was life saving. After that I decided to stop medication because I thought that I am well. It was 6 months after that that I had a severe relapse. I thought that this time I will not be able to survive again because I started again but for three month no relief, I was very tired and exhausted and drained out of any type of energy but I decided to stick with it reading reviews here. After 4months I started feeling some relief but not total well as the previous time. So I decided to do some tests with my doctor and he told that B12 level in my blood was only 73 and that was making me very depressed And when I took B12 medication it was like magic. I am alive again Cipralex start working."

Story September 8, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "Lexapro is one of the best anti-depressants available. It takes about a month to kick in (you can read online about why these medicines take so long to work, it's complicated). I'm on 20 mg, very few side effects, one being it takes longer to have an orgasm. Overall, good medication."

Pon (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 8, 2018

For Depression: "I am a 36yr mother of 4, I have been on 20mg of escitapram for over 3 years and before that a whole other load of different meds! At first it were like a new lease of life I could actually leave the house..2 slow painful years of repeat prescriptions of it and I avoided all doctors apps (anxiety in me) avoided everything even taking my children to school. A family member stepped in an forced me to the doctors the doc gave me an add on of promezine 5ml morning and night still no change 2 week later. I were very low by this point nothing would make me happy so went back an we were given another add on of trazadone 50mg and although I still have bouts of unhappiness the anxiety. I am now managing my life and taking my kids to school. I believe it works with a balance of other drugs. 3 years later I am still on it and doctors haven’t even suggested coming off! I do wish I could be normal and not hold so many horrible thoughts/anxiety’s/memories and more!"

Jj September 5, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Escitalopram's action against anxiety is explicit. I suffered from generalized anxiety disorder for more than two months and the drug helped me from the first week. My symptoms were relatively severe, since I wasn't able to eat anything, I didn't sleep at all, I faced social anxiety, I wasn't able to concentrate and the most intense feeling I recall was that of absolute despair. However, after the first week I started feeling much better. I had a relapse after the first month that lasted for more or less two weeks, but after that, I am back to normal for more than 9 months now. I continue taking the medication out of fear, but the truth is that I found myself again, so I am planning to stop in the next trimester."

DA (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I was on this for 3 weeks and could feel it helping my anxiety, but it made me pee constantly and I was getting up 3-5 times every night to pee. Every single night. It was like my bladder was never fully empty. Obviously this was majorly affecting my sleep. It also gave me terrible gas, like the worst of my life. For these reasons, I had to stop taking it. I’m surprised I haven’t read more reviews with similar symptoms."

Kris10 (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I suffer from Schizoaffective disorder which is like schizophrenia combined with Major Depressive Disorder, and I take Lexapro as my anti-depressant/SSRI and so far love it. Been on it for about 1 year and what it does for me is lessen anxiety, prevents panic attacks, prevents traumatic flashbacks, AND controls my depression and prevents me from harming myself. So I have nothing but good things to say about Lexapro. Before this I was on Celexa but that had stopped working after a number of years. My psychiatrist explained Lexapro is supposed to be a newer form of Celexa that is more effective and fewer side effects, and based on my experience on this medication I would have to agree with that."

Coryman616 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 2, 2018

For Anxiety: "I’ve been taking this for more then 2 years now while take lamotrigine as well. I went up from 10 mg, 15, 20, and finally 25mg. The higher I went, the worse my sex drive got. If you find your perfect number, stay there! Never stop taking it without talking to your doctor. They really mean that when they say it on labels. This medication helped me a lot and changed my life for the better. My anxiety was so bad that my face would freeze up and my heart would feel like it would jump out of my chest when I used to randomly have an attack. Caffeine and sugar made my anxiety worse BTW. So avoid that no matter what. That only issue I have to be honest is just libido. Other then that, this medicine would be a 10/10 for me. Once again, everyone’s brain chemicals are different and will react differently t. When you first take it, be patient with it and it will soon work it’s wonders. Don’t be ashamed! Ever! Good luck, god bless, and remember you’re not the only one going through this."

Honest to god September 2, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I was diagnosed with GAD and depression in 2008 and was prescribed this by my psych. 10 mg of lexapro it worked wonders for my GAD and depression. I was also prescribed klonopin to take as needed for anxiety. Lexapro is the drug for me. I changed psychiatrists recently and she increased my dosage to 20mg daily of lexapro. Also she had me on 100 mg of vistaril to take as needed. Vistaril had practically no effect on me. Also I was prescribed 15 mg of mirtazapine At bedtime with mirtazapine I sleep like a baby Side effects are vivid dreams and increased appetite. This my first drugs review I would like to hear from anyone on these 3 meds and share their experiences with me, thanks"

Jon September 1, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "This drug has saved my life! I started on 10mg and then got moved up to 20. I fortunately didn't have any side effects. I remember after my doctor suggested lexapro, I spent hours on this site reading reviews. I was nervous, but I'm so glad I decided to start lexapro. I had been experience anxiety and depression and lexapro has tremendously helped both. I didn't realize how bad my symptoms were until I got relief! I don't feel like I need to sleep all day now. Talking with people and making phone calls doesn't seem like a huge painful chore. I feel lighter and can motivate myself to get done what I have to. I also am in therapy which helps with some of my maladaptive thinking and negative self thoughts (those patterns won't go away overnight) I'm more equipped to challenge those thoughts on this medication. Sometimes my anxiety creeps back up for no reason and I've since been prescribed a PRN but overall I'm satisfied with my experience. I would recommend lexapro!"

ob (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 31, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "This medicine made my depression/anxiety worse. I'm 22 years old, and I was warned that people under 25 may have suicidal thoughts or worsening mood. My doctor prescribed me 10mg for depression/anxiety and insomnia. For the first 3 weeks, I didn't feel any change in mood and wasn't sleeping any better but thought I had to give it more time. Then the next 2 weeks were BAD. When I was driving I had thoughts like "If anyone were to crash into me right now I wouldn't care." And thoughts like that scared me! I went to my doctor yesterday and he switched me to Paxil. Please be careful if you are young and taking this drug."

tiredgymgirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Helps a lot with my OCD, been on it for about 4 months. Hoping it will have the same effect on my anxiety!"

Tom August 30, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I started the medication due to panic attacks and anxiety. Initially I had much worsening anxiety and depression. I had improvement in anxiety symptoms after about 3 weeks. HOWEVER I was very ill and bedridden. My mind was calm but also I did not want to do anything. I didn't care about anything. I lost my car, my home, my job - everything because I didn't care! I was always sleepy and could sleep 14 hours straight. I had major sexual dysfunction at 26 years. I tapered off slowly after about 8 weeks. I was left with constant dizziness weeks after to the point that I fell down the stairs. Over a month after stopping, I'm doing well. No meds. Just making positive changes and counselling and trying to get back everything I lost in a couple of months on this med. I still have a little anxiety but I'm learning to control it. Gotta control it or it'll control you! I've learned that anxiety is like a bully. You have to confront it and not try to ignore it. Move TOWARD your fear! Slowly it will get better!"

tito August 29, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I have been on Escitalopram for about 15 years and it did wonders for my anxiety. For about 12 years I was on 15 mg a day. I tapered down to 10 mg about 3 years ago and did well. About a month ago my anxiety began to come back. I finally saw a psychiatrist who suggested I was having a relapse and might want to increase back up to 15mg. She started me on 12.75mg and my anxiety has increased. I remember having an increase in anxiety when I first started . It took me about 4-6 weeks to stabilize and then I felt great. I’m wondering if this will be the same? I take a low dose of Ativan at night for sleep. I’m not feeling better. I have a lot of anxiety, brain fog and feel exhausted. I try to push myself a bit every day but it seems to get harder. I’m wondering if I just have to wait it out. Thanks for any words of encouragement."

Catlady (taken for 10 years or more) August 28, 2018

For Depression: "I was on Cipralex for 6 years and it worked really well for me except a little off balance feeling. I tried to wean off with Doctors approval. I was off Cipralex for 4 months and then depression and anxiety came back. Cipralex didn’t work when I went back on it. Tried Pristiq but no luck. Now I have been on Zoloft. Hope and pray it works for me. If you are on any medication please try to stay on it and be happy with 8 or 9. Good luck!"

J08 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 28, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "effective for OCD"

bbuubbaa (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 28, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I tried Lexapro for a month, it did work for my depression, I had hardly any side effects but this one: It made me lose my hair!! I went off of it immediately, I'm now trying to look for another antidepressant that does not make me lose hair"

Downer (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2018

For Anxiety: "After a previous bad experience with side effects on Sertraline a few years ago I was hesitant to try medication again. Nearly 6 months later this drug has changed my life. Gone is the crippling over-analyzing that made it almost impossible to interact socially. I am confident and assertive, which has helped me in all aspects of life but especially at work. I am self-accepting and no longer critical of myself. Here's the experience for me so far... Dose: 5mg Initial side effects: For the first 4 days I had a moderate headache. My appetite all but disappeared for the first 3 weeks and I felt nauseous too. It was nothing too debilitating though. Achieving an orgasm was harder than before, but not impossible (I'm female). Dreams were more vivid, but not bad. Current side effects: Continued vivid dreams. After 3 months it became easier to achieve an orgasm. Weight gain: I have gained a little weight (about 3kg), but I do not believe this to be due to the medication."

Wings August 27, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "This drug caused me one of the worst times of my life. While it seemed good at first, and I thought it was, people began to see a difference in me. The difference was I entered the manic phase, which lasted for months. It caused me quite a few friendships, my life savings and nearly had me jailed. I have now been off of lexapro for several months and am trying to piece my life back together...if it ever happens. Taking this med led to a living nightmare"

Twitch August 26, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...