User Reviews for Escitalopram

Trichotillomania

Summary of Escitalopram reviews 7.6 2,421 reviews

Reviews for Escitalopram

bb · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 19, 2019

For Anxiety: "I went on lexapro for my anxiety and it definitely helped in the beginning. About six months in I started feeling extremely nervous and anxious. I was tired all the time. During the weekends I would take 3 naps a day and still get a good nights sleep. I tapered and have been completely off of it for a week. I feel like a new person and that someone else was living in my body while I was on it."

Deb · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 18, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "My entire life and I mean even as a child I can remember overthinking and worrying about everything. I have dealt with the anxiety that comes from the worry and the panic attacks too. It wasn’t until I turned 40 that I mentioned this to a new doctor I started seeing and he prescribed Lexapro. My god, I wish someone had opened my eyes before. I assumed everyone felt this way but after a month on Lexapro it was a weight lifted off of my shoulders. I am so happy to not feel all of that anxiety anymore. Normal stress is fine but the overwhelming feeling of anxiety is gone and I hope it stays that way. It’s been close to 4 years now and it’s still working for me. Lexapro really is an amazing drug."

S_l_f · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 18, 2019

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I’ve been taking escitalopram for 7 weeks, started on 5mgs for the first 2 weeks, now on 10 mgs which I take after lunch. Between days 4-9 I felt bad (yawning, foggy headed and spaced out) but have got better and better every day. No longer ‘sweating the small stuff’, sleeping loads better (had dreadful nightmares that woke me up frequently). Generally calmer and more relaxed but still feel ‘myself’. It takes me a while to get going in the morning, that’s the only negative thing, I was a morning person before. A coffee helps! Hoping that this will improve but overall a good journey."

maleUser1234 · Taken for less than 1 month July 18, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "3 weeks in on Lexaprol for GAD. I am a fairly successful professional male and have a family - have felt increasing anxiety, needless worrying and almost a sense of dreaded loneliness that I could not shake no matter what. SSRIs are not my thing, but nothing else was working to alleviate and break the cycle. So far I'm feeling much better. I haven't really had any issues, I do have that sort of restless leg thing sitting at my desk as I take it in the morning. I also notice I sometimes am biting my teeth together a little harder but always realize this - it feels like being relaxed but hopped up a bit on caffeine. In fact, 'm more sensitive to caffeine now with my morning coffee. No other issues or side effects and well worth it so far with how I feel. My biggest concern was impact on sex and have had several intimate engagements with my wife without issue. In fact, libido still fully present so far."

Anna · Taken for less than 1 month July 17, 2019

For Anxiety: "Right now I’m at 1 1/2 weeks on Lexapro generic and I feel worse than before (I was on generic Effexor). My anxiety is through the roof. Is this just the first two week trouble I’ve heard about? Finding it difficult to keep it together at work"

Flowersun · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 17, 2019

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I read many patients rated low. I'm taking it since 8 months. First 10 mg and I passed through the normal side effect symptoms when you start these meds. After 3 months I started with 20 mg and seemed the doses work perfectly for me. Then, at the 7th month, I have financial problems and I reduce the dose to 10 mg again to make it last longer (this was without consulting my doctor because I will see her in August, she didn't have an appointment before that date). I'm aware of what happens when you reduce doses, so yes, I am passing through a new adaptation like the first time I start to taking it (some anxiety attacks-but I'm managing pretty well since I took medicine along therapy-, I sleep A LOT -not going to complain haha- I have some impulsive behave BUT that's our illness, not the meds, Headaches). So be aware of all the things caused not by this drug in particular, but all these kind of meds, when you start, reduce doses, or withdraw (always slowly!!!)."

Susan026 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 17, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "This drug has done wonders for me. I’ve always suffered from random anxiety. Anything could trigger me and there goes my mind and heart rate. I used to take Xanax for it but wanted something more consistent. I discovered Lexapro and it was the best thing. After 6 months of being on it my anxiety is 99% gone and don’t need Xanax anymore. In the beginning I had a really rough time with coming off the Xanax and starting the Lexapro. I couldn’t sleep, no appetite (plus!) lol, and felt horrible. I’d say after about 5-6 weeks my body adjusted and I feel better then ever. My energy is there and I feel really happy and chipper but it’s all genuine. I’m on 10mg and will continue with it. Miracle drug for me."

skittles2019 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 17, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I've been on Lexapro 10 MG for four months to treat depression and PTSD. Anxiety and depression have significantly improved. The adjustment period was challenging. For the first 2 weeks, I felt like my depression was gone. During the next 3 weeks I felt lethargic with low motivation. After 1.5 months I thought the medicine was no longer working, as my depression worsened. My psychiatrist upped the dosage to 15 MG. At 15 MG, I had fatigue, nausea, headaches, and slept 13-hour nights. I went back to 10 MG, and the negative side effects ceased. After 4 months, I think Lexapro is effective. I don't have inner negative chatter and don't feel like my brain is shutting off from being tired. I feel happier and more confident. I have improved motivation to go to work, exercise, and socialize. I feel more relaxed. No weight gain and SI is gone. Some days my brain is foggy. Depression still comes one week prior to my menstrual cycle. I'd say try to get through the adjustment period. Good luck!"

Norma · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 17, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "This medication changed my life within a week I felt different. I take it before bedtime and wake up feeling awake in the morning and my mind and body no longer raced beyond my control. I almost cried when I realized what I was feeling must be what a normal person feels like! I have never been more thankful in my life!!! I have suffered my entire life with overwhelming anxiety and depression. My Dr. has also put me on bupropium which I take in the morning. My side effects, Sweating, diarrhea, and occasionally upset stomach and blurred vision are nothing compared to the emotional relief I now feel."

Annie · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 17, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I have been on 15 mg of this generic version of Lexapro for the last 4 years. It has changed my life. I still have moments of the month that make me more vulnerable to anxiety because of hormonal ups and downs, but overall, I feel like I’ve found myself again. For the first year, I noticed some numbness in emotions. It was manageable and almost welcomed, since I’d spent so much time over thinking and feeling things. I feel like this has balanced out over time. I also take it in the morning because it would cause me some insomnia at first. Please talk to a doctor prior to attempting to wean off this medication because it can be difficult. I feel like this medication has really changed my life for the better."

mm July 16, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: "My Dr. prescribed me Wellbutrin Xl at 150 mg, and was on ( currently) for a few months. He wanted to pair 5mg of lexapro with my Wellbutrin to see if it would stabilize things. I gave this med a whole thirty days cycle. I’m unsure if it was the pairing of the two or just the lexapro itself. But it caused me to physical and emotional distress. Physical: extreme nausea, diarrhea, upset stomach, dizziness, I had a ton of vivid dreams. I felt consistently even more fatigue, but could never fall asleep. Emotional side: I felt a bit foggy, had some really dark thoughts, more sensitive than usual, and had no motivation to workout, so activities I enjoy, etc. it intensified some of my old depression symptoms, instead of aiding it. I’m unsure if it helped the anxiety portion. This med is clearly not the right for me. Currently slowly weaning off of it. I hope it works better for others"

Violet July 16, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I have been using Lexapro for almost 2 months now and the change has been amazing. I had suffered from anxiety and depression for most of my life and my doctor prescribing this medication has been a lifesaver for me. I used to have episodes of crying, extreme depression and suicidal thoughts but all those have gone away or diminished to the point where they're basically nonexistent. I feel like I can handle life and it's minor irritations with so much more confidence now. More than I have ever in the past. I still have issues and every day is still a battle at times but I don't know what I would do if I hadn't started on this medication. I'm lucky the only side effect I get is dizziness here and there and I have gained about 4 or 5 lb which I'm trying to keep hold of and not let that get out of hand. Otherwise I'm extremely happy!"

359north · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 15, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "Anxiety/depression medications are tricky. It’s difficult to know what one is best for you and your body so often you have to try a couple of different ones before you find your fit. In my personal experience it’s worth trying a few till you find what’s right for you. Every medication is going to have side effects. For me Lexapro decreases my sex drive and causes constipation. The benefit of not having anxiety and being able to be a peaceful wife and mother is worth those two side effects for me. I have come off my Lexapro before and it’s true you will definitely have a lot of brains zaps, headache, a little irritability, and for me déjà vu. The brains zaps don’t usually last more than two months and they are harmless so you just have to ignore them. Overall I think Lexapro is a great medication but as I said before it’s different for each individual. Talk to your doctor. Therapy is also very helpful for me."

Almond July 14, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I took Lexapro 5mg for six months. The only problem I had was week one being very tired. I tapered with no problem. Two years later anxiety is back and doctor prescribed Lexapro again. After day 3, I have had enough. I woke up soak and wet in sweat and the nausea is just too much. The worst was when I got up for water I got so dizzy I almost hit the kitchen floor. Also, last time I packed on the pounds (like 20). I have lost 4lbs this go around. All I can look at is cereal and that is not even appealing. I know my doctor would prescribe clonazepam again but I really don't want to go that route. I will see how I feel in the next couple of days and call him if not better. I know people say to hang in there but just not for my anymore."

Walter · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 14, 2019

For Anxiety: "Had severe panic disorder and every phobia in the book from age 20 to 40. Took benzos and alcohol to manage it. Finally my doctor persuaded me to take Lexapro. I told myself firmly not to be fooled by placebo effects, good or bad. I just took the damn thing because I was suffering so why not at this point? No personality changes. No "zombie" experience. Loose stools, especially in the first couple of months. Basically it took my anxiety down from a 10/10 to a 6/10. It also got rid of my frequent migraines, and I can actually fall asleep without downers now. I know every drug is tolerated differently by different people, but this works all right. Doesn't end your anxiety cold but seems to prevent those enormous ridiculous panic attacks from reaching a severe level."

Bob July 13, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "On it two years, turned me into a manic mess. Coming off it is beyond a nightmare that goes on weeks and weeks"

Tati July 13, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "SO BAD. I was taking Zoloft for like 2 years and then I suddenly stopped taking it so the depression worsen and they wanted to try something new and they gave me this. I also suffer from anxiety attacks and this is the first day taking it (10mg) and I’ve never felt this bad before. I honestly rather feel depressed than continue this drug. They told me to try it for 3 weeks and I honestly can’t take this pill one more time. I feel so disconnected, numb and I can’t concentrate AT ALL and I for sure can’t drive on this pill. Zoloft didn’t feel this bad, I regret trying this"

Jay July 12, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "Extreme anxiety, I was barely able to look anyone in the eye or leave my house. Things were getting very bad and I didn’t know how to fix or deal with it. I was put on 10 mg lexapro by my new doctor. I took half a pill a day for one week and didn’t notice any difference. I actually had pretty severe headaches, problems with my sexual life and extreme exhaustion. I began taking a full 10 mg pill a few days ago (I’m on day 10) and I have noticed I am back to my normal self. The anxiety has completely gone away. It seems it has saved my life. The exhaustion and headaches went away. It seems like this may be common in the first week or so. The negative to lexapro is some issues with sex (ejaculating specifically). I have heard your body can adjust and eventually that will become normal as well. I would definitely recommend people to give this medicine a few weeks to a month before giving up on it. Mine took about 9 days to kick in."

Mick July 11, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I had to go on this about 8 years ago, the standard 10mg for insanely bad OCD, depression and anxiety. The first time I took it I felt much better within two weeks. Two years later I tapered off it very slow. Usually 2.5 mg lower each month for 4 months. Recently I have not been able to control my depression and with current stresses I dropped so low again. I’ve now been back on Lexapro for 3 weeks, after two weeks you notice a bit or a difference. Mostly a numbing feeling over all your emotions. Currently I still feel the depression and the anxiety is awful in the morning so I’m going to try 15 mg and see how that goes. I’ve noticed when I drink Yerba Mate my anxiety gets much worse so I’m going to remove all caffeine for a while. Hang in there buds, I know how awful our minds treat us. Try and walk or jog as much as you can and eat as healthy as possible. I’m not saying that in a judgey way but it helps. Talk as much as you can and know it will get better."

Fromfaraway July 11, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I was having panic attacks every time I see someone I know on the streets to the point I believed I will die from one of these episodes and then completely started hiding in the house. I started on Lexapro with quarter or 0.25 then 0.5 the next. I took xanax half a pill of the 0.25 dose with it to not have side effects. Day 1 and 2 xanax made it possible. 3rd day was a disaster, I took the 0.5 without xanax, wanted to see what will happen. Half an hour and am in ER. At the beginning my heart started racing a little like in the 80s, then up to 90s, then to 100s, I made sure I only take the pill while relaxed so I dont get anxious I googled "cipralix and palpitation", and Google did its job by intensifying your anxiety, "contact your physician immediately". Went to ER and HB was 125, down to 110, up again, down 95, up to 130. Dear God they rushed me to the special care area for an ECG but it turned normal. Before I leave home I threw in a 0.125mg xanax, it calmed me down and eventually my heart."

rr · Taken for less than 1 month July 11, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "The only thing lexapro did for me is make me realize how good I felt when I wasn’t on it. I was alright for the first 3 days, but on the third night I woke up with heartburn (which I had never had before) and was having a panic attack so severe that I went to the ER. I took lexapro the next day after and I constantly felt nauseous and had no appetite even though I felt like I was starving. I’m getting better after being off of it but I have felt like a zombie ever since I got back from the ER. I only felt side effects from this drug."

Jake · Taken for less than 1 month July 11, 2019

For Anxiety: "I am on day 24 of 5mg Lexapro for anxiety/panic attacks and the first few weeks was great except I got a cold so I couldn’t really feel better emotionally or physically but after that was over I’ve been feeling fine. One thing I am noticing now is I’m a little lightheaded and I’m not sure if I should wait for the 4-6 weeks as everybody says or if I have another health issue. Anybody experience this in week 3 of 5mg lexapro? Thanks in advance!"

Jillyjane · Taken for less than 1 month July 10, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Ok so I'm a 26 year old woman and I can't tell you how many antidepressants I've been put on. I'll guess between 8-10. The only one that I took longer than a few months was Zoloft and I don't even know why I continued to take it cause it didn't help with my major depression or anxiety. I think subconsciously I was just so desperate to feel ok. Anyone reading this that has hit the point of attempted suicide knows exactly what I mean. You don't have to be great and happy, you just want to be ok and feel like yourself. For years I've struggled and would think it couldn't get worse until it did. Over and over again. I've been on lexapro (generic) for only 2 days and for the first time in 6+ years I feel ok. Now I know antidepressants take weeks to work their best and I can't tell you how I feel this so soon I can only tell you that I do. I would highly recommend to anyone specially if you've tried many others. I'll check back in a few weeks from now and give an update!"

Worry wart July 8, 2019

For Anxiety: "I have been taking 10mg of Lexepro for 1 month now. I am feeling much calmer in myself. I take 10mg of Lexepro in the morning with food, however during the day I'm still feeling drowsy and having random moments of dizziness. I know everyone is different but I am wondering how long do these horrible side effect go on for "

Steady Mommin · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 8, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I take it for post partum depression, It really helps but makes you tired. I take it at bedtime. There are sexual side effects! Helps with worrying but I am also losing hair like crazy! I don't know if it's from having twins though???"

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)