User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 9 reviews 43 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 34 reviews 46 medications

7.2
Summary of Escitalopram reviews 1445 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Escitalopram

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I was diagnosed with severe anxiety in spring of 2015. It was so bad I couldn't leave my bed for weeks without feeling like I was going to be sick. I finally forced myself to go see a psychiatrist where she prescribed me 10mg of lexapro which was a little too much to start with considering I am very sensitive to medication. I dropped to 5mg and stayed on that dose for almost a year and felt great. I got off all medication for a few months this past summer in hopes of healing on my own, but my anxiety got worse than ever, so I just started 10mg a few weeks ago. Still experiencing side effects (fatigue, dizziness, heart palpitations) but have high hopes considering the lowest dose still worked wonders for me."

em58356 September 27, 2016

For Depression: "I started taking this medication, and it has literally been a godsend. I was having anger issues, outbursts, anxiety, and ultimately depression. This drug killed all of it. I feel so much happier, stronger, and back go the person I was well over 10 years ago. I had once where anger got the best of me, and I slapped my hand hard against the wall. But other than that, everything has been great. Don't let other reviews scare you from taking this drug. It affects everyone differently. If it's making you more anxious or depressed, it's most likely not the right drug for you. Side effects I had were headache the first day, major fatigue the second day, and diarrhea. I'll probably experience a bit more as my body adjusts, but it's SO worth it."

WorldExp (taken for less than 1 month) September 26, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I have found this helpful in boosting my mood but it hasn't helped with anxiety. It also continues to make me feel nauseous."

Sara2016 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 26, 2016

For Anxiety: "I took 5mg for three weeks and the upped the dosage to10mg. That was 7 weeks ago. I had very few side effects with the initial start up or when the dosage was upped. The reason I upped the dosage was because I read where 5mg was not therapeutic. My anxiety has disappeared completely. However, I am having a problem with the fatigue. I am going to talk with doctor about taking it at night instead of morning. Possibly need to lower the dosage. My biggest fear is insomnia. I can deal with other side effects but insomnia makes me crazy. The fatigue is not every day but hit bad this afternoon. I am also weaning off clonazepam. I took .5 every other day for four months. This month was .25 every third day. Next month .25 every fourth day."

Linnie Lou September 24, 2016

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have severe anxiety.Constantly thinking bad things are going to happen also worrys and I get panic attacks atleast once a day and automatically in the heat.i was on 25mg of amitriptyline for six Months I thought it worked ok for sleep but then I stopped because I thought I didn't need it anymore.. Now I have never had such bad anxiety.i feel like my muscles are always tense I started lexapro 3 weeks ago on 10mg recently went up to fifteen . I'm so tired and my panic attacks are still there The only good thing so far is I am sleeping like a log .I Tryed it at night and I had Insomnia so now I take it in the Morning My doctor told me if my anxiety is still there go up To twenty sometimes I feel l will never feel myself again .."

Marie p (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2016

For Anxiety: "I was prescribed 25mg of escitalopram for my anxiety at work/social anxiety. I had tried before Amitriptyline which is an older medicine for this but it made me really sleepy, literally it would knock me down for 12 hours which was very disruptive. I started a new job which was demanding and escitalopram kept me calmed and still I was able to think clearly. The problem with it is that as the previous medicine it made me sleepy (I'd come home after work and I'd be exhausted, just wanted to lie in bed and read). Also I gained lots of weight, it made me less active (stopped gym) and made me crave carbohydrates which caused this. It did work though. My doctor has switched me to Zoloft, when I have more info I'll write on that"

XenApp_39 September 24, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Initially, I was put on Lexapro and Klonopin (.5 mg 4 times a day) for panic disorder. After a few months, I was able to take the Klonopin as needed, usually once a day, and experienced very few symptoms of panic. After a year, I was feeling a lot better and decided to come off of it. The Lexapro really did help so much with my panic attacks, but I still had generalized anxiety. After a lot of therapy and lifestyle changes, my GAD was very well-managed and I was able to come off of Lexapro. 2 months down the road, I had a huge relapse due to a medical crisis and my doctor put me back on Lexapro. It pooped out and I was experiencing severe anxiety. I was on this medication 3 times for a total of 5 years."

missschris (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 22, 2016

For Depression: "Just got put back on lexapro 20mg a few days ago after being off of it for a few months. Same side effects as when I had started it before; a headache that doesn't wanna go away, nausea, lightheadedness, dizziness and my insomnia has gotten worse."

britt94any (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I had immediate results.I definitely felt less edgy just 3 days into my 10mg nightly dose. I had a headache first two days but took pain relief and it knocked it out. So far it has already provided relief from my constant anxiety and edginess."

Storm1617 September 22, 2016

For Depression: "Now 10 days taking escitalopram drops (5 drops daily = 5mg). The severe headache lasted 2 days from the start. No other side effects noted. Still early days and feeling positive. I still take xanax in the evenings and lowered the dose to. The side effects were nasty at the start and enough to put you off taking the meds. Just keep going and drink plenty of water to. These meds need time for the body to adjust. Don't give in, keep going."

Netti 66 September 21, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Lexapro changed my life. I have had IBS since I was a teenager. It caused me great anxiety and fear of going anywhere because I just knew I was going to need a bathroom urgently. When I turned 40 it got so bad I could not make it to work without having a horrible stomach ache which would cause me to panic and have an anxiety attack. Within a week of taking 5mg lexapro a day I was a new person. I feel more like myself on than off it. I have been on it for 4 years. I tried to go off it once and the diarrhea returned. The side effects for me were low libido, a little weight gain, less irritable but anger more severe, tired after taking which coffee cures. The side effects decreased over time. Overall the benefits far out way the side effects."

Annonomous45 September 20, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "This medication is NOT for teenagers. My son was so depressed we could not get him out of his room for days on end. We eventually got convinced him that he needed help and agreed to start taking medications and spending more time out in the sun and exercise. All of this was painfully slow but I believe the medication did help him become more motivated to help himself. He agreed to give the medication 5 weeks. Week 6 my son started punching holes in walls and throwing things when he has never done anything like this before. Week 8 my son killed a little girl. A friend of the family. Now, he is facing 47 years without parole for something he did at 17 influenced by a medication I had asked him to try.This is in fact, LIFE w/o parole."

4Nurse3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 19, 2016

For Depression: "Hormones may play an important part of how well you tolerate. At age 37 & hormonally balanced it worked well for situational depression within 14 days. Minimal, short side effects upon starting. Used 5-6 months then weaned off. Absolutely satisfied! Ten years later - perimenopausal, panic attacks, OCD, GAD and depression. Tried drug again and had horrible reaction! Even on 1/8 dose. The floor was unstable, naseau, headache, ears almost deaf. Scared me so bad, I refused to take anything for my symptoms for several years. Now postmenopausal and 15 days on generic lexapro, I feel great. No side effects."

Slynm (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Worst medication i have ever taken to me i would rather eat rat poision the sideeffects are really long and brutal i have been taking 10mg for over 14 weeks and feel like im a drugged up zombie Depersonalization Spinning feeling lightheaded and also always off balance really bad restless legs gaggy nausea feeling headaches from hell im trying to see after 4 months if i will adjust"

Badmed12 September 17, 2016

For Anxiety: "I started this med after I found out my husband had affair. I was lost, didn't want to live. All I wanted to do was cry. Been on this medicine for around 3 months, 10 mg to start w/ now up to 20mg. This medicine has been a lifesaver for me. It has even helped save my marriage. I have Been the happiest I have been in awhile! I really love this medication, I finally got myself out of the darker place I was in, the place I hope to never go back to. I'm feeling much stronger day by day. Still have a few moments where I think about what he did but I can deal with it, we deal with it. My depression is about completely gone, my work at my job has improved, I can socialize with others now with no problem. Life is looking better."

felt broken (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 16, 2016

For Depression: "I started on Monday taking Escitalopram drops. My doctor told me to take 10 drops (10 mg). I read the instructions and opted to take 5 drops (5mg) as the drug was new to me and I'm a very little lady and was worried about the dose. Within a few hours I had the most throbbing headache that wiped me out all day. The following morning I took another 5 drops and again had a throbbing headache. I took various over the counter medicines to rid myself of this headache but nothing worked. Luckily a friend popped over and I made an espresso coffee for us both. Within 5 minutes of drinking the coffee my headache had disappeared completely. I was relieved and shocked that a dose of caffeine could put me back in the land of living again."

Netti 66 (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I experienced "poop out" after being on Lexapro for 7 years. I was prescribed 150 mg of Welbutren, which was upped to 300mg. The Lexapro kicked in after a few weeks, and worked like a charm. After one year, my anxiety and depression returned progressively getting worse over a period of three months. Finally realized my insurance switched me to the generic escitalopram. I had been taking it for three months without realizing it! Requested to switch back to Lexapro, however, Tricare insurance would not cover it so had to pay almost 178 per month for brand name. That was two years ago. Now pay 294 per month. Tricare still will not pay. Considering buying from Canada."

Generic Lexapro "DID NOT" Work (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 15, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "Having been diagnosed with general anxiety disorder over ten years ago and taking Xanax 1 mg. twice a day, I was surprised when my doctor prescribed Lexapro, not instead of, but in addition to. He said it was a mood stabilizer, but I know its and SSRI generally used as an anti-depressant. Medical guidelines now require, or at least I've been told as much by my doctor, that primary physicians are required to ask questions regarding mental health. I was asked, "Have you in the past two weeks lost interest in your normal activities?" No. "Have you in the past two weeks had thoughts of suicide?" No. Still, he prescribed the Lexapro and I started taking it. The side effects were horrible. Every symptom of depression, which I didn't have"

robalo September 13, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I have suffered from anxiety for about 10 years now. I am 31. Recently it took on a life of its own and I could not control it anymore. It was affecting my entire life. Every morning I would wake up barely able to breathe and dreaded the day. I HATE taking medications. But I knew I had to do something to get help. With the help of my family and friends I finally went to my doctor and he put me on lexapro. For me the side effects were not bad. For the first 5 days I was very drowsy and kind of spaced out for a few hours after taking my 5mg dose. My doctor told me to take it at night going forward and that solved those issues. After a week or so on the meds it has taken the edge off and I feel better! I wake up happy."

Lwag (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Hi there, I have been off work for approx 7 weeks due to severe anxiety. I initially started to take Sertraline 50mg however after 4 weeks it made me very low in mood and suicidal hence to swap to Ecitalopram 5mg. I have been taking this for 10 days and already feel a considerable improvement in my overall mood. My anxiety is less and the negative thoughts are manageable. I still worry but things don't seem so bad anymore. I feel like there's hope again. I am pleased so far. Good luck"

MandAjW September 11, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I am on day 6 of taking Lexapro and I must say that I am very pleased with the results so far. My husband is deploying and I began experiencing panic attacks and anixiety back in May. I thought it was just me and I could brush it off or "get over it". As time went on, I noticed that my symptoms became worse. I was crying everyday, worrying, panic attacks, aniexty attacks and having intrusive thoughts, which began to make me extremely depressed. I had no energy, insomnia, crying, mentally exhausted and no appetite. I finally broke down and went to my GP and told him what was going on. He recommended several different anti-depressants. I had been reading about the different anti-depressants and found that Lexapro got the best reviews. I was reluctant to begin taking meds but thought I had no choice. I know it might be premature but I feel 100% better that I did a week ago. The only side effect that I experienced was a insomnia for the first 3 nights, loss of appetite and no libido. I didn't have much of a libido to begin with, so it doesn't bother me. I didn't experience nausea like I read on other reviews. I am slowly getting my appetite back and sleep so good at night. It makes a little groggy first thing in the morning but once I get up and get going, I'm good. I take 10 mg every morning. My doctor wants me to increase my dosage to 20 mg after 2 weeks but I will wait and see how I feel. I highly recommend this medication. It has really helped me. I feel so much better!!!"

hondachick96 September 8, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Was on Lexapro for 10 yrs at 10 mil and was wonderful? Then it pooped out! Doctor than prescribed 20 mil which I have been taking for 7 weeks now? My question is has anyone taken this long or longer to see results?"

RadB September 8, 2016

For Depression: "I suffered from depression and extreme mood swings since I was 13. After 6 years, I could not take it anymore. I went to a doctor and he prescribed me Cipralex 10mg. Nothing changed for 3 weeks... I was impatient, so I upped my dose to 20mg. And it worked, completely eliminating all my mood swings and depression. I reduced my dose to 10 mg, the medication still worked. I then tapered to 0.5mg and after 18 months, stopped. It's 8 months later and overall, my mood swings and depression are still at bay. It's great medication and personally experienced no side effects, although it was slightly rougher when i tapered off completely. Just stick through it, and it will pass. My recommendation is to be patient for the medication to start working."

Anonymous Sam September 7, 2016

For Depression: "I have been on this about two weeks. I can give you an idea of what the start of treatment is like. I was prescribed Lexapro 10mg in the morning for Depression/GAD/Panic Disorder. It has worked very well for anxiety and the panic disorder. I have become more calm and my mind is more in order and focused. I still find most people intolerable, but that is more my personality, and at least now on Lexapro, I can stand to listen to other people talk for extended times and keep my focus. The depression, as I discussed with my Dr, is going to take much longer to deal with, but so far, I do feel somewhat more calm and level-headed. Side effects: Decreased sex drive. Some tiredness."

RichardBandit (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "This drug changed my life. I've always been "depressed" person if you will, problems from childhood, then life got hard when I moved country and my husband deployed. Almost within a week of taking lexapro I began to notice the difference. More stable, more optimistic, no longer crying over anything... Things that would give me major anxiety before no longer bother me as much, although the anxiety is not completely gone. Only very mild side effects of dry mouth and slight headaches, but boy is it worth it. I am, what must be "normal" to the rest of the world now. I'm very happy."

Riela28 September 3, 2016