User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Escitalopram.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

7.1

Trichotillomania

Summary of Escitalopram reviews 7.9 1,825 reviews

Reviews for Escitalopram

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "So I have been taking Prozac for a long time but I was always taking naps and tired, I didn’t want to do anything go anywhere. I decided to look into Lexapro reviews some of them really scared me. I thought why not give it a shot one of my cousins takes Lexapro. The doctor switched me from Prozac to Lexapro and I’m going on three weeks I feel so much better I have more energy I’m not sleeping all the time. I’m noticing more things that make me happy. I did have side effects in the beginning but they were very mild constipation dizziness tingly feelings but those are starting to go away. I’m so glad I try this medication I hope it continues to work for me. The doctor started me on 5 mg and I’m slowly working my way up to 10 mg. Write your reviews because people actually do read them."

Happy that I switch to Lexapro November 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "My first few days I had a lot of nausea as expected then some increased anxiety. But after a few week to around 6 weeks in I was back to my old self. Life saver for me! Everyday prior to taking lexapro for months was a struggle with anxiety and random panic attacks, face tingling, unbalanced feeling and just feeling off all around. 4 months of taking 10 mg and what a relief. Back to socialization, eating better, feeling better With no face tingling. Give it a try for about 6 weeks for full effects and side effects will subside. They did for me."

GiveItTime November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "First time taking 2.5mg Lexapro 3 hours after taking it I could not speak or think or walk normally, had severe nausea and headache, Spent 8 hours in ER. 2nd day have diarrhea and heart palpitations. I only took 2.5mg once. Not for me!"

Diana92708 November 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I've been taking the 10mg dose of Lexapro for 3 weeks. I'm actually quite impressed with the improvement I've seen so far, as I've heard you often need a solid 6 weeks to feel the effects. I no longer have this sense of dread when I wake up in the morning. I'm not "triggered" as easily either. Something so simple like dropping a pencil would result in depressive and suicidal thoughts for hours. Now I can brush most things off without an issue. Fatigue, VERY restless legs and vomiting were rough the first 2 weeks but have subsided now. No problems with weight gain, insomnia or nightmares/hallucinations. I still have some lingering anxiety and I'm hoping I'll get even more of a boost in my mood in the weeks to come, but so far so good."

Annie917 (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "Wasn't sleeping well and was having career-related anxiety. I went to my PCP and he put me on Ambien and Lexapro. I was very concerned about effect Lexapro would have on me, but I went ahead and started it. First day I was a little tingly but no other immediate physical response. The next morning I woke up retching/dry heaving. I spent the whole day having hot and cold spells. My ears were burning. My head felt congested but without any sinus issues. I was severely agitated/restless. I couldn't sit still. Felt sick all day. I took the pill again the second morning (yesterday), but today woke up retching again. Still very restless with some twitching of arms and legs. Didn't take the medicine again today."

Gville Guy (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I started to to have persistent stress so much I could not concentrate on anything (I'm software developer and my job requires high amount of focus). I tried exercise, eating well, deep breath without success. They were effective to decrease it a little bit but it was not enough. Then I started escitalopram (10 mg per day at 6 pm). It was a miracle. Without any apparent reason, my anxiety disappeared. My external world did not change. I was still living in the same place with the same people, the same job; everything stayed the same but somehow I was not worried anymore. I was on it for 1.5 year. When I discontinued it, I stayed GAD free. I discontinued it because most of the external stress triggers in my life were not there any more."

Sporadic GAD patient (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I started Lexapro about 4 weeks ago. It helped anxiety but depression was still there. I talked with counsellor today and he had just gotten back from a symposium on depression. He said people sometimes underuse their anti-depressants. They feel a little better but till not great. He advised increasing the medication to a level I feel really better. So I am going up to 10 mg. I think 10-15 mg may be right for me. Keep trying, this is a chemical imbalance, runs in families. If you R not satisfied w/results then try increasing your dose after discussing with Dr of course. I am so happy to have found this med, my anxiety is already getting better, I've had no major side effects. I wish you all the best."

bambam80503 November 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Today was my first day (10 mg) and I felt great until I felt dizzy, then like I was going to faint. Then felt like I was going to throw up. This was all at work! I never did get sick, splashed water on my face and laid down and felt better after about 30 minutes or so. The other thing is that I did not eat much today, so not sure if that was a contributing factor. I feel like if I can work thru these side effects, it will really help."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I have tried every antidepressant on this planet, and I must say Lexapro is the best! It helps not only with my severe depression, but also my Anxiety and OCD. Please give this medication a try!"

Madman09 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I never realized I had OCD until I saw a therapist after having my baby... my whole like I was labeled as "high strung" and to be honest I didn't believe the therapist when she diagnosed me. After a long and agonizing series of events I reluctantly started lexapro 10mg (didn't believe in taking meds). After 3 weeks I could not believe how much more relaxed I felt.I never realized how severe my panic and anxiety was until I got to experience life without it. My rituals even subsided (never knew I had rituals until I stopped doing them) In the end I am glad I started the meds. Only side effect has been decreased sex drive, but it's manageable and both myself and my husband are much happier now that I can function better and enjoy daily life."

Denial_theRiver_in Egypt (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I like this med! I had severe anxiety and moderate depression. . I'm only on 5 mg to start but in 2-3 weeks I noticed a big change in balance, mood, less anxiety and depression. I'm still a little depressed and would like to go up to 10 mg. Perhaps 25-30 mg is too much but in smaller doses, gradually increased, is greatly changing my quality of life. PS Take in the morning. I wish you all well."

bambam1 (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "So I finally gave in and started taking Escitalopram for my Anxiety. I've been living with it for the last 12 years diagnosed at age 20. I'm a healthy male, enjoy jogging and in general eat very healthy. I'm taking Lamotragine (lamictal) for Bipolar disorder as well. I wouldn't say there was any tough phases for me to be honest. I'm on day 7 now and all I've had was some headaches after waking up that lasted till the afternoon. They subsided after the 3rd day. I haven't noticed any increase in anxiety or loss in sex drive yet either. I'm looking forward to experience the full effect/benefits of this medication"

cwj85 (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I’ve been taking 10 mg for a few weeks now but I don’t think it’s helping. I cry myself to sleep every night. My parents notice a difference in my mood but it’s only because I’ve stopped showing emotion around other people. I save my feelings for when I’m alone."

Katalak November 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I was not going to take Lexapro after reading all the reviews. I was really skeptical about the side effects. I read one very positive review & it changed my mind. I am so glad I started Lexapro two months ago. I was put on Lexapro for anxiety. I was always in a bad mood & everything set me off. I started with 10mg & saw a slight improvement the first week. It wasn't until the Dr put me on 15mg about a month in that I really saw considerable improvement. Two months later I can honestly say I am am so happy to be on this medication. Everything just seems better. I am happy. I find joy in the things I used to. I look forward to social events. My mood is so much better. I did not gain weight. No sexual side affects. Please give it a try!"

butfirstanxiety (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "Hi I've been taking lexapro since 2014 it helps a lot although I still have some anxiety but it works wonders, no side effects I take 20mg"

axmfri (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "Lexapro pretty much saved my life at one point. I’ve had anxiety/depression all my life but a few years ago I was at a low point. I wasn’t getting out of bed and felt like I had no reason to even get up in the morning. One day I decided it was time to live again and I saw a psychiatrist. He prescribed me 10mg of lexapro which I was advised to take half of for the 1st two weeks. As most people have mentioned, the 1st few weeks are for SURE not a good time. If you were already dealing with bad depression, I would advise that you stay close to good people for the 1st couple of weeks. I promise you though, it gets better if you wait it out. MAJOR sexual side effects (as in NO sex drive whatsoever) but if you have bad anxiety, it’s worth it."

j0rdann October 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I started with 0.5 tablets a day with no improvement (should be a stage to test any side effects resulted) 0.5 tablets more for every diagnosis. Kept a level of 3 tablets for longtime A peak of 4 tablets after 1 year and 2 months due to an sad period of my life I almost got no side effects and my anxiety kept reducing with less washing action for my clothing and less care of tiny dirt (Kind of dirt that I concern) However, my mood is still not always good (except those anxiety from dirt). Not sure what matters But overall Lexapro helps me a lot! At least I have more time to sleep (I used to wash my stuff until 3-4am 3-4 days a week but now I seldom wash, I have my normal bedtime even though I need to wash Sth)"

G T (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I tried every supplement/natural remedy under the sun to help relieve my OCD to no avail. I suffered from horrible intrusive thoughts and daily panic attacks that were driving me nearly insane. Then a friend recommended Lexapro. I'll admit the first two weeks were hell and I had every side effect under the sun. But after about 5 weeks, and an increase in dosage to 20mg, I felt back to my old self. Now I hardly have any intrusive thoughts, and when I do, they are much easier to control. I'm so thankful for Lexapro, it gave me my life and happiness back. I'm now at 30mg and find this to be an effective dose for my OCD and anxiety. I hope it continues to work wonders for me!"

Newly Diagnosed OCD (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I have been on Lexapro for about 5 years now and it completely and utterly changed my life. I had very serious anxiety which caused my relationships problems, problems in my job and all over my life, I was erratic and an emotional rollercoaster, after 2 weeks on Lexapro I felt stable and always the happiest person in the room, my brain needs this to function correctly without a doubt. I look back and cant believe I was the person I once was."

toz October 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I've been taking Lexapro since August now. Started on a low dose (5mg) because I don't tolerate the side effects of antidepressants well. First few weeks of taking this wasn't the most pleasant experience but I soon got use to it and it wasn't so bad. I struggle with GAD and depression and while it hasn't cured my anxiety I am already feeling some better. I have since moved up to 20 mg. The list of side effects that I had most trouble with were; Drowsiness throughout the day, jitters, bruxism(clenching my teeth) and an increase of anxiety. I also noticed that I felt like I had the flu because of body aches. Made my eyes glossy as well."

Michelle910 October 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "For me and other people I have suggested this medication too it has completely changed our lives for the better. Reading reviews you often see knee jerk reactions from people suffering deeply and then taking the medication and going through the up to 4 week period of feeling worse. That is a tough 4 weeks if you felt you where already at breaking point, easy to pull out the pitch fork at that time. But you're less likely to hear from the people who would tell you the polar opposite of that because once taking lexapro providing you are feeling better it’s easy to leave the dark world behind and return to the light. My suggestion to anyone who has been recommended this, ignore stigma and try this for at least 4 weeks at your doctors direction. GL ML"

Wilex October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I struggled with severe postpartum anxiety and depression for two years after my daughter was born. I went to therapy but was still struggling. I didn't want to take medication for a very long time, because I just didn't want to be a "medicated mom." I always thought it would get better. It didn't and I was exhausted. I am taking only 10mg of lexapro now (therapeutic dose is considered 20mg) and I'm staying at 10. My life is COMPLETELY different. I feel joy and happiness again, my anxiety is gone, I sleep well, my sadness and anger are gone. It is life changing and I can't believe I didn't do it sooner. And I'm actually a better, happier mom now! Give yourself a chance to get better. Mild side effects at first - mild nausea and headache."

SColly (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "Lexapro gave me terrible nightmares. I jump out of bed while asleep. I tore both of my arms up and hit the closet door with my head. I scream in my sleep, I break lamps with my flailing arms while I am a sleep. Every side effect listed I have! I fall all the time, I stumble around. This is a terrible medicine!! Never again!! It seems to be taking forever to get out of my system after I stopped it (without my Dr permission). What happens now can not be as bad as the side effects I have!!"

memexyz (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I have been on lexapro for about 6 months. I started on 5mg then 10mg then 15mg which is what I am on now. For the first few weeks it lowered my mood but now I am a whole new person and it was completely worth it. I am so focused on work, enjoy socializing so much more now, appreciate music, it has really lifted my mood from a 4/10 to a 10/10. I still have bad days every now and then but nothing compared to before. My social anxiety has also almost completely gone and people at work comment on how confident I am. I started my job after about 6 weeks of taking it so they never knew me before. I think its really good how it has made me so focused and goal motivated too at work and in life, I am really happy I started this medication."

Lucci1985 October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I was hospitalized back in June as a result of my depression and anxiety. Lexapro was the first medication they put me on, followed by hydroxyzine. The first thing I noticed was the minimal side effects. I didn't experience drowsiness or stomach pains or anything that I had expected to experience. Like all depression medication, lexapro is one that needs to stay in your bloodstream for several weeks before you'll actually feel it working. It's not to say that it completely cured my depression, as there is no definitive "cure" for depression, but half of my days were euphoric and the other half I was only feeling a bit down. That is a huge step up from feeling hopeless all the time. I would recommend for both depression and anxiety."

Corri444 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 17, 2017