User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Escitalopram Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I am on my 10th day of lexapro and I notice some improvement. I hope it will continue."

Ian July 2, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have been on lexapro for a year and it LITERALLY saved my life. I was experiencing panic attacks, had mild depression and social phobia. One year later and I have NONE of that! I think I will be on this medication for the rest of my life, I am 33 years old and WISH I had started this medication on my early 20's as my anxiety pulled me back in so many ways from living life. Now I am stable, I feel happy to hop out of bed, I am confident at work, no more social phobia and shaking and heart palpitations etc. I was so scared to take this medication when I first started, as I read many reviews that mention the bad side effects. Honestly, do not let the starting side effects discourage you. The side effects are not fun BUT it is also not fun having extreme anxiety and/or depression for the rest of your life. The side effects will go away! Obviously this is my experience everyone is different but my advise is to stick it out! It only changed my life for the better. I started on 5mg, two weeks later 10mg and now on 15mg."

Bess June 23, 2018

"I started escitalopram after 4 years of GAD/MDD. I'd been hesitant to take medication because I didn't want the easy way out. If some of my behaviors were contributing to my mental conditions, I wanted to fix them first. But I finally realized I needed more help than I was getting. This medication has been a godsend. I had mood swings for the first 2 weeks, but they stabilized. After that, the negative self-talk wasn't running in the background so much. I didn't need to distract myself; I could appreciate the moment. I didn't realize how much I had missed mental silence. I think the silence has helped me more than anything else. Escitalopram certainly didn't fix all my problems - there were some behaviors and beliefs that needed to change too! I'd recommend anyone with GAD or MDD at least look into therapy. But this medication strengthened me enough to make some changes I needed in my life. I don't feel like a different person; I feel like a healthier version of myself."

Ignis (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 23, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Hi guys, 24 year old female, I have tried Zoloft in the past and prozac before I tried lexapro. 4 weeks in on 10mg and I didn’t feel it working much for my mood so I went up to 20mg. And I slightly feel more calmer. I’m on this medication for extreme anxiety and panic disorder. It has helped dramatically, and it’s only been 4 and a half weeks now. I was crippled from anxiety and scared to go out in public just in case of a panic attack, but now I feel like it’s more manageable. I haven’t experienced severe side effects (thankfully). I don’t experienced fatigue and just feeling really lazy and lack of motivation to exercise. But it is so much better than waking up in an absolute panic. It’s amazing how I has helped me. Good luck to anyone trying it."

Smurfygirl June 22, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "This medication works really well for me with minimal side effects. I have taken it for some time."

Lee (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 19, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I was once you, reading drug reviews online, trying to find reassurance. Before you read this I want you to know that my experience is not your experience, or anyone else’s for that matter. For me, this drug did not work. It seemed to create incredibly obsessive and unwanted thoughts, which in turn led to more anxiety. I also became pretty depressed, and felt drugged. I took myself off of it and now I’m returning to normal. If you can, try the natural route first, and use benzos for short time acute anxiety if you can. If it’s still bad, give Lexapro a try. I know it works for plenty of people, just not me."

Adim7 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I suffer with agoraphobia, generalized anxiety, panic attacks, emetophobia AND depression. I know, quite a list. I have suffered for over 40 years. Mainly due to the emetophobia (fear of vomiting) I feared side effects of meds. This is the 2nd time in my life being on prescription meds. I started taking Alprazolam in 2004. This was great, I am still on the same dose I was back then. 0.5 mg. This gave me a life outside of my home!!! I was basically housebound since I was 14. By 2009, I told my Dr. of 30 years I wanted more of a life. I hadn't seen the ocean since I was 13. I NEEDED to get there again. He put me on Lexapro. My dr. put in a special authorization to the insurance company. You may want to talk to your Dr. and have him do this for you."

Bonnie June 11, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have taken Lexapro(Brand only) for years. I Tried the generic twice for the insurance companies. 5 generic tabs did not produce the results that 1 Lexapro Brand did. Recently for the 3rd time United Healthcare simply decided that they would just "Not Paid for Lexapro". Every genetic make-up is different. Lexapro works for me, however I cannot pay $535.00/ month. I am suffering terribly and will probably lose my job and livelihood tomorrow because I cannot cope. I wish the insurance company would have to pay unemployment benefits."

nurse (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 23, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I've now been on lexapro for 5 months now. Doctor started me on 5 mg. The initial side effects for me were drowsiness after taking so I took it after dinner. I am now at 15mg. I no longer experience drowsiness. I am a completely different person. I am so happy I stuck through it. This medication takes time! I am now able to have small talk with cashiers. I am able to take better care of myself. I don't feel as anxious and for the first time in my life and I feel comfortable with myself. My emotions are very stable. I no longer get stuck in a deep depression or self destructive thoughts. The long term side effects I've experienced is not being able to orgasm as well and 6lb weight gain."

Geogaddi (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 23, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Hi all, I have been suffering from severe generalised anxiety disorder with social anxiety since I was 25. I am turning 31 in a couple of weeks. Throughout this time I've been on and off sertraline. I always found that the initial 2 or 3 weeks were OK but then I'd be back to square one with my anxiety. I am currently taking 10mg for the last 3 weeks and I feel the past 3 days I'm back to square one completely. I'm not sleeping, eating, I just am not functioning. I've a 16 month old son, a partner and a job that I need to be well for. Has anyone any advice on what medications, maybe a combination, have been affective in completely ridding their anxiety and allowing them to function? Desperate for help and advice. Thanks."

C87 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "My bloodwork was abnormal, body was expressing hypothyroidism but my heart said hyper. The past 2 years have been awful from increasing anxiety, night terrors to the point I was scared to sleep, then I started to have high blood pressure w/ headaches. A 30 year old with cardiac issues. Body would tense I had tingling in my neck and jaw I felt like I was under water my head would get foggie, sinkable episodes. I always kept my doctor in Nj. But she told me when you're ready come to me. I broke down. Being in the medical field no one likes the idea of a SSRI's. I'm not depressed. All the research. Then she told me try lexapro. Give it a month and let me know. Lexapro I was able to handle things better. A month hit and I'm like I don't feel anything. Went off it after a month for a week. Night terrors came back, sweats, my OCD was horrible. I mowed a lawn 3 times. I went back on it. Add that to PTSD, stress, thyroid and life. Lexapro has made all the difference."

CapeMay May 11, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I’d been on Effexor XR for 4 years & decided to wean off it in January to see if I could manage on amino acids & nutrition and I was great until my mother-in-law passed away & the issues that arise in a blended family regarding wills/money etc all got to be too much. I realised that I needed medication & talk therapy again so went to my GP & asked to go on Lexapro as I’d heard good things about using it to treat GAD. Big mistake, I was on this medication for 11 days trying to white knuckle it through the “side effects” & almost lost my mind, SSRI’s obviously aren’t for me as I had a similar reaction to Prozac. I stopped the meds cold turkey as advised by my doctor & felt better later that day, today is day 1 back on Effexor XR & my mood has already lifted. Trust your instincts, if it feels wrong it might not just be “side effects”."

Mumof2 (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I suffered from irregular anxiety and panic attacks so bad I would vomit and be incapacitated for days. Then a few stressful family events happened all at once and suddenly I was having panic attacks daily. I decided to try medication as I wasn’t able to calm down from my panicked state and knew something had to change. So I started Lexapro 10mg. At first my anxiety was more severe and I was feeling depressed when I had never been a depressed person before. My doctor told me to stick with it and I’m glad I did. After about 4 weeks I felt stable and happy. I had a good appetite for the first time in years and felt like I could handle day to day issues with confidence again. It’s been about 3 months now and I feel more capable and functional than ever. I would advise anyone struggling with the early stages to stick with it and to speak to a psychologist to get some coping strategies as well. It really helped me to talk to someone and better understand what was happening to me."

Nolongerafraid May 6, 2018

"Give it time! It will work if you give it time. I had a severe panic attack that lasted two days - I didn't know what was wrong. I was given Ativan at the hospital and that help bring the panic down a bit, but I needed a long term solution as I was panicked and anxious all day everyday for weeks. After my doctor started me on Escitalopram, I didn't notice any change for 3 weeks, I started low dose (5Mg) working my way up to 20mg. 2 weeks after bumping up to 20mg the change was spectacular. I also participated in anxiety counselling and began exercising I am still on 20mg once a day and am feeling back to my normal self. Just give it time, I know while you are waiting that's the last thing you want to hear, but stick with it, things will get better. I read these reviews all the time while going through my panic and anxiety, praying that I would someday be able to post that the medication worked for me and now I finally can"

Angela April 20, 2018

"I wanted a medication that would "take the edge off." I was under a lot of stress with building a house, living with family, kids, work .. etc. I was very irritable with my family and had NO patience. My doctor started me on 10mg and within a week I felt SO much better! I've been taking it for almost 4 months now and decided to try and stop (I'm not big on taking medications), but within a few days I (along with my husband and kids) could tell that I NEEDED it! So, I started back and feel much better. The only down side is that it sometimes makes me quite sleepy. I do take it at night to try and curb some of the fatigue, but the pros definitely outweigh the cons!"

MG (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2018

"I started escitalopram after reading review after review about how it worked so well for others. This was not the case for me. I was only on the medication for 4 weeks, and had to come off quickly once I started having repetitive depressing thoughts. They terrified me, which would in turn make my anxiety spike. This was my 3rd medication to try. I'm so ready to find something that works for my body."

TireOfThis (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 30, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I’m on lexapro day 1. Moved out of home 6 months ago and now all the hype has gone I’m struggling with day to day activities and hardly eating. My bf cheated on me and I’ve kept him over it so that creates big anxiety issues for me too. Today is day one I tried pristique yesterday and it was an absolute no go as I got heaps of numbing and tingling. Today my face is a little numb and my arm tingles so slightly but I have eaten which is a big thing after no meals for two weeks. I feel a little groggy tired but can’t sleep so just having lay downs. Will keep all updated."

Minds (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2018

"I've currently been on this medication for a month and so far it's made my anxiety worse, I've been more tired and it's definitely given me brain fog because it's making University lectures a lot more difficult to process what my lecturer is saying. I'm a 22 year old male and have noticed slight sexual dysfunction, however, I will keep sticking to this medication for another month as I have no other options currently."

teal1995 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2018

"On day 11 of generic lexapro and I already feel a difference I'm hoping its only going to get better from here"

Nikole909 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2018

"Pros : 10 mg of Lexapro does well treating anxiety. Cons: Cannot have an orgasm, numb to feeling any sexual pleasure. Solution: Added 300mg of Wellbutrin which helps to make sex enjoyable (reduces the numbness and helps with sex drive), but still haven't had an orgasm during sex since starting Lexapro about 8 months ago. Basically, you have to trade in your sex life to live a life without anxiety. It's like how Ariel from The Little Mermaid had to trade in her voice to become a human. For me, the sexual side effects are equivalent to Paxil. "

Girl in her 20's (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 17, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Currently writing this from the psych ward. Lexapro 15mg drove me to this place...long forgotten rumination and OCD returned within a week on this drug, severe derealization/depersonalisation, nightmares, intrusive thoughts etc. Even with high doses of seroquel I was still in a horrible place. Gave it 6 weeks and ended up in hospital. Will never touch it again."

roobyskska (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Lexapro saved my life and marriage. My anxiety was so bad I feared going to the grocery store, driving, talking on the phone, talking to neighbors. I was scared that nobody liked me, I was moody, I thought I was a bad person and parent and destined for failure. I drank every night and cried all the time bc of family issues. I was mean and irritable to my husband. One day, I decided enough is enough. My doc put me on Lexapro and I’m not looking back! Ever! I am confident, happy, focused and insightful. I’m able to be HERE and NOW instead of an anxious prison in my mind. I still have major problems in my family, but I can deal with them with a clear mind. The first days on it I felt weird, headache, anxious, dry mouth, diarrhea, shaky hands. Now 3 weeks later- I’m good. My hands shake more than they did before and it gives me dry mouth, but it’s worth it. I’m back!!!!"

Happyfeet (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I live in MN and get anxious in the winters so I go on 10mg every October and it helps. Without it I get thoughts stuck in my head like assuming I said something stupid and then obsessing over it. Or trying to mind read people and always assuming the worst. This med helps shut it off and I am very comfortable being myself when I'm on it. However, I don't like being on it because it also shuts off other thoughts; like being able to actively listen to people or sharing my thoughts on a subject. I will have a hard time coming up with words and stop mid-sentence. My libido was fine and it actually helped me last longer in bed. Eventually it stops working around the spring anyways and I don't want to up the dosage or I'd be a complete moron. I tried coupling it with adderall or Wellbutrin but those caused too much anxiety and I couldn't sleep on adderall. I'm going to try something new this summer, maybe Remeron. But it really, really helps with the anxiety."

J Man March 8, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Hi all, coming up to week 6 on Lexapro 15mg. First few weeks were absolute hard work. Since starting I’ve been experiencing shakes, twitches, brain fog and derealisation/depersonalisation which has been really awful. I am also currently on seroquel (quetiapine) 25mg in the mornings and evenings. I have had a few glimmers of hope but am still unable to leave the house, speak on the phone etc. I have noticed my ability to cry sober coming back which may seem bad, but is actually a really good thing for tension relief. My psych wanted me to up the dose to 20mg Lexapro but I couldn’t handle it...I know it can take awhile to begin to take effect but seeing everyone improving so much in so few weeks makes me feel worried! Does anyone have any experiences with it working later than expected?"

Rubydoob (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I am 46 years old. For many years I've been depressed and had anxiety attacks. I was not aware of what I was going through, I've lost friend and stopped speaking to family members. I've been on lexapro for 2 weeks and everyone is complimenting me. They say I look happy, I am glowing, I feel so alive!! I never thought I would feel this way and I am so happy. I take 10mg before bed. I get a good night sleep if I can sneak a nap during the day. I do. But I highly recommend this medication"

Worry freak (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2018