User Reviews for Escitalopram systemic

Also known as: Lexapro

Escitalopram Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I was on Lexapro for about 2 years. It definitely helped with depressive thoughts and feelings. I was able to get out of bed, shower, and live. It did have some side effects that I didn't enjoy. Namely, my libido zeroed out, leaving me with no desire for intimacy. I also started to get migraines from time to time, as well as weird, often gruesome, dreams. It definitely helped me to be able to live my life while managing my anxiety, but in the end, my side effects outweighed the benefits."

Mik (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 29, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Hi guys, As others I wanted to share my experience. I've been on this lexapro for more then 4 years in the past. Then last spring when I've been noticing I sometimes forgot my 5 mg dose I tapered down on the medicine. In the summer no real issues, but the winter came in hard and 1 bad trigger had me right back on the anxious side. I re-started to take 10 mg for 2 weeks and now 1 week at 15mg. First weeks I suffered increased anxiety, panic attacks and didn't see any hope. And then BAM, it starts working. I'm still not at the full benefits but I feel it kicked in. Now I'm back to having interest in stuff, people etc. So I have 3 major advices.1. Please give the medicine time, it might be rough but when it starts working you gonna have the real benefits. 2. It's not a shame to take a little pill. People with high blood sugar levels do it too. 3. Don't see this medication as the only solution... See therapists , do some cardio, mindfullness. I pray for all you guys!"

Positivist (taken for less than 1 month) November 27, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Hello, I would like to say I lived by these reviews to help me through my darkest days with this here anxiety/panic disorder. I had symptoms that range from nausea, stomach pain, diarrhea, no appetite, the feeling of about to pass out/faint, noodle feeling sensation in my leg etc to the point I didn't feel like myself anymore and thought death was near. Thank you for your reviews it help get past all that and I got to the good part where is works without the side effects"

Heartbreak89 November 9, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I’ve been on lexapro for a good three, four months now. I’m 18 and I’ve been having extremely bad panic attacks. But the medications seems to somewhat help with the panic. I got diagnosed with panic disorder today and mood disorder. So taking lexapro with a mood disorder can potentially make things worse for me. But hopefully that’s not the case. My therapist upped my dosage to 20 mg today so I start that tomorrow. I hope things work out well because I really don’t want things to get worse."

K (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 6, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I’ve been taking 10mg for 6mths for GAD & OCD. There were improvements to anxiety but at the same time I changed some lifestyles habits and relieved stress by moving house and stopping work, and I also got treatment from a few different resources. So I can’t say that this medication was what worked. What I have noticed is that despite giving up sugar (binge eating) for over 4 mths and going to the gym for over a month now I am not experiencing weight loss. In fact, I’ve gained weight! I’m also retaining fluid and am constipated often. I’m female, 42 years young. I’m choosing to go off this medication (psych says it leaves the body within 27hrs and I shouldn’t experience side effects) because I don’t like the above side effects. I’ll let you know."

Willo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 30, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Well today is my first day taking this med. Really hope it works as I have been dealing with GAD and panic attacks for almost 2 years now. My first dr started me on prozac and that was a nightmare - it made my panic attacks worse. I was given Ativan to take as need and that helped but I came off all meds due to not wanting to be depended on them so I just been dealing the best I can. Now I'm really tired of being like this, face tingles all the time, I have tension headaches everyday, and i just don't feel right and most the time its like I'm outside my body - I don't know how to describe it. So I finally have a new dr and she wants me to try this so first 10mg is now taking. Now the wait begins to see if this helps. I really hope no side effects cause my anxiety will go through the roof. She did say if in one week I feel no change then go up to 20mg please pray 10mg works. Will help date later."

Turtlegirl (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I’ve been on 10mg of lexapro for 3 months now. I’ve been suffering with anxiety for the past 10 years I’m 59. The first 3 weeks were horrible with most side effects they appear to have gone now however I have gained weight about 5kgs. The lexapro definitely has helped my anxiety has at least halved and I can do most things. I still occasionally take half an Ativan when I’m feeling very anxious. The main thing I seem to get is chest pain which is almost everyday I’ve been to the ER on many occasions and they say I’m fine. I don’t know whether to increase my lexapro or not. All in all I’m reasonably happy with lexapro."

Markscura (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 23, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "This medicine is miracle!!! I been having anxiety since I was little girl, I been on lexapro for a month my anxiety went away, I feel happier, confidence, and I am more organized at work."

Rosa (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 14, 2018

"I've been on this drug for 15 days. I started with 5mg once a day the first week, then 10mg onwards, (combined with a reducing dose of Clonazepam drops for one month (2-2-5 1st week, 2-0-5 2nd week, 0-0-5 3rd week and 0-0-2 4th week)). I've had horrible side effects: gas, constipation, lack of appetite, fatigue, shakes, leg pain, mood swings and now persistent headache. I'm seeing my doctor in 3 days to report. I'm mostly worried about interactions with painkillers, as I've read most of them do not have a good interaction with Escitalopram. I just had a Ketorolac because I couldn't stand the headache. I hope I don't get a bleeding stomach. I'm supposed to take this drug for at least six months and it seems like such a difficult objective to achieve. I haven't noticed any improvement yet, but I'm sticking to it. I really need to get better and hopefully will be able to be off the drug when I'm healthy again."

chinchillas (taken for less than 1 month) October 13, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I was very resistant to the idea of taking meds, but somehow lived with crippling anxiety for over 10 years that affected my friendships, family connections and ability to have a meaningful relationship. A year ago I tried Prozac and it made me have suicidal thoughts and the start up affects didn't disappear after 8 weeks. Then 3 months ago I bit the bullet and tried lexapro. Let me tell you that any Doctor who says u will be fine after 2 weeks doesn't know what they are talking about. The start up effects are brutal...sickness, increased anxiety, depression. I couldn't leave bed. However, 6-8 weeks later all these effects subsided and now 3 months + in its the best I've ever felt. This is game changer for someone who has suffered anxiety for over 10 years. Next...dedication towards therapies (recommend ACT, excellent framework to building up resistance to anxiety and minimalising its impact on your life). Stick with it...6-8 weeks of pain is nothing compared to months, years of feeling great."

RealRL (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 9, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Worked like a champ for 18 months. A near-miracle drug. Only downsides: it stopped working after 18 months. Also, I gained 30 pounds during that time and had a reduced libido."

Zac (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 5, 2018

"I made the mistake of going off Lexapro after many years on it. I'm a 51 year old woman. It took a few weeks off it before I started experiencing anxiety like I've never experienced. I have to drive for my job and have found myself avoiding freeways, railroad crossings, busy intersections, etc. I'm now back on 20 mg. I've only taken one dose so far but after reading postings on this board I do have hope that I'll be able to drive again."

anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) September 30, 2018

"I have used this medication before, many years ago when there was only the original brand. I'm on the generic form of it now and it works just as well as the branded one did years ago. I'm on it for anxiety and for mild depression. I'm hoping I can reduce my use of Xanax, that's why I ask to be placed on it. I take xanax as prescribed and it helps, but I get tired of the stigma attached to anxiety meds. This medication is helping, I started on 10mg but I knew it would need to be doubled to 20mg. I'm hoping it helps more on the higher dosage, I feel more energetic and less sad and my anxiety is slowly getting better, so I'm happy with the results so far, however if I start to gain weight I will ask to try something different or come off it entirely. I have worked very hard to get over 200lbs off and get to a healthy weight and I refuse to gain it back! I do say this, people give this medication time to work, it will work but as with all SSRI's it takes time to build up in your system."

cvdixon29 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I was on 10 mg Lexapro for about 14 years and it was great. I recently decided to try and go down to 5 mg and I crashed big-time. Now I'm back on the 10 mg for a little over a month. I was feeling better last weekend, but had a panic attack and could not get on a plane for work, which caused me to spiral all this week. Back to square 1. Wondering if I should ask my doctor to increase to 15 mg or more...I have not been sleeping this week and it's hard to eat."

rwat67 (taken for 10 years or more) September 21, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I had great luck with this medication for many years and then got off of it when I got pregnant. About 6 weeks postpartum I became very depressed and my anxiety spiked. My doctor put me on Zoloft and after giving it 8 weeks and only feeling worse and worse my doctor switched me to Lexapro. I started at 10mg for 3 weeks, experienced a little diarrhea but nothing too awful. However, it wasn’t taking away my anxiety issues. By that point I had become agoraphobic, couldn’t drive, had to take some time off work. Doctor upped me to 20mg and 2 weeks later I started driving again, working out again, feeling like a normal human being. I read through the positive reviews on this page over and over to get me through. Please, please give the medication 4-8 weeks to feel the full benefits. And only read positive reviews. You’ll make it through this and know you are not alone!"

GiveItAChance (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2018

"It makes me feel great, and it's way less invasive than any other drug I've tried (Fluoxetine, Sertraline, Paroxetine). I do not experience sexual problems at all (male), no diarrhea, no trembling. However, it does make me feel a bit dizzy sometimes but it's something you get used to. I'm on 10mg and I truly feel like I'm making progress."

Lu (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 12, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "It was the best thing I ever did for myself I haven’t looked back. The first week I felt sick & extremely anxious. I have GAD. But I pushed through and came out the other side. That heavy weight I carried around on my chest got lighter everyday and 3 months later it is honestly gone. I feel so good I am in the present moment, I enjoy things, my relationship is better then ever, no arguments anymore, no stressing over silly things. My OCD symptoms are minimal I can tell myself I don’t need to do it right now and I won’t where as before I would have insomnia. I am 21, at uni, living my best life now, I recommend lexapro it brought me back down to earth. My anxiety ruins all my relationships, starting arguments & my anxiety makes me angry, currently I am at peace, no stresses, I can sleep, no heart palpitations everyday, stable relationship & happy. I wish I started it sooner . I am enjoying getting to know this side of myself as I have only known my anxious self the last few years."

Orangejuice (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2018

"Escitalopram's action against anxiety is explicit. I suffered from generalized anxiety disorder for more than two months and the drug helped me from the first week. My symptoms were relatively severe, since I wasn't able to eat anything, I didn't sleep at all, I faced social anxiety, I wasn't able to concentrate and the most intense feeling I recall was that of absolute despair. However, after the first week I started feeling much better. I had a relapse after the first month that lasted for more or less two weeks, but after that, I am back to normal for more than 9 months now. I continue taking the medication out of fear, but the truth is that I found myself again, so I am planning to stop in the next trimester."

DA (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I was diagnosed with GAD and depression in 2008 and was prescribed this by my psych. 10 mg of lexapro it worked wonders for my GAD and depression. I was also prescribed klonopin to take as needed for anxiety. Lexapro is the drug for me. I changed psychiatrists recently and she increased my dosage to 20mg daily of lexapro. Also she had me on 100 mg of vistaril to take as needed. Vistaril had practically no effect on me. Also I was prescribed 15 mg of mirtazapine At bedtime with mirtazapine I sleep like a baby Side effects are vivid dreams and increased appetite. This my first drugs review I would like to hear from anyone on these 3 meds and share their experiences with me, thanks"

Jon September 1, 2018

"I have been on Escitalopram for about 15 years and it did wonders for my anxiety. For about 12 years I was on 15 mg a day. I tapered down to 10 mg about 3 years ago and did well. About a month ago my anxiety began to come back. I finally saw a psychiatrist who suggested I was having a relapse and might want to increase back up to 15mg. She started me on 12.75mg and my anxiety has increased. I remember having an increase in anxiety when I first started . It took me about 4-6 weeks to stabilize and then I felt great. I’m wondering if this will be the same? I take a low dose of Ativan at night for sleep. I’m not feeling better. I have a lot of anxiety, brain fog and feel exhausted. I try to push myself a bit every day but it seems to get harder. I’m wondering if I just have to wait it out. Thanks for any words of encouragement."

Catlady (taken for 10 years or more) August 28, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I trudged through 15 years of depression and anxiety too afraid to pick up the phone, too embarrassed to be the next one in my family who admits mental health issues. I finally forced myself to make an appointment with a doctor I didn't even know. Just over 3 months on Lexapro later, and it's the best decision I've ever made. I started on 10mg and am now on 20mg. Sweating and tingles were my only side effects, and only for the first week on 10mg and the first week on 20mg. They faded, and it would have been worth it even if they hadn't. I am now positive throughout my day, don't have the afternoon crash, and don't dread every work moment anymore. 9 /10"

CardinalsDrew (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Thank goodness for this med. I had severe anxiety after I had my baby. So bad I couldn't eat, sleep, etc. A few weeks on this and I was a new person. I got to be the mother I wanted to be. I'm so glad I have my life back."

Goose Lady (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 15, 2018

"I have been taking escitaloram for almost 7 weeks. I still suffer from anxiety especially in the morning. But there are days that I feel better but it is rare. The only benefit that I have noticed is I can sleep now without taking a very low dose of olanzapine,I would like to consider that as an improvement. I recently raise my dosage to 15mg and the anxiety returns again. I hope that it will finally kick in.."

Ian M. (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2018

"I have been on 10mg of lexapro for 4 months and it has been the worst experience of my life. Though it has helped my anxiety in the sense that I sleep at night, my morning and daytime anxiety is horrible. I am barely making it through the day as I have awful obsessive thoughts and ruminations which did not exist prior to the drug. I am seeing a psychiatrist next week so that I can begin getting off of this medicine. I am happy if it works for some people. It’s definitely not for me."

Feelingdoomed (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Lexapro made my life normal again, until I was so stressed and I'm diagnosed bipolar that I started to feel manic. Now my Doctor will add lexapro to quetiapine for bipolar disorder. I hope that it has the same effect that it had before on me. I loved it. It brought my life back"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 26, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...

Learn more about Generalized Anxiety Disorder