User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Escitalopram.

Escitalopram Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I took this for GAD and it didn't do anything for me. For OCD and depression, did a little better but needed more from it. Switched off of it and won't be coming back."

Copper360 January 16, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Lexapro has truly changed my life. Prior to taking it, the level of panic I was experiencing felt like I had just tripped on the sidewalk, and my face was headed straight for the pavement. Instead of the terror lasting for a split second though, the terror lasted days on end. I was having suicidal thoughts. Lexapro takes a while to kick in, but once it does, it was like night and day for me. For anyone struggling with anxiety reading this right now, just know better days are ahead of you, and there are solutions out there like Lexapro."

AnxietyAdvocate December 28, 2017

"My past and current health issues have created some kind of PTSD with crazy panic/ anxiety. I tried zoloft last year and got turned off by the startup side effects. This time around my doctor started me out on lexapro 2.5mg for a week and upping it slowly. This cut down on the side effect intensity greatly. I had some insomnia at night with a drugged out dizzy feeling all day. Anxiety increased a little but all of this subsided mostly by week 3. It's been 5 weeks and I'm feeling more like my old self and feel so grateful! I believe starting slowly has set me up for success. Remember that everyone is different and "therapeutic dose" is not cookie cutter. Give it time. In the mean time exercise if possible, it helps."

luxlocks (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2017

"I'm a 25 y/o grad student who has GAD and panic disorder. When CBT, meditation, exercise, and avoidance weren't cutting it anymore, I knew I had to give something else a try. I started 10 mg of escitalopram 10 days ago and was very nervous about the horror story side effects I'd read online, but figured no side effect would be as bad as the anxiety I was living with every day (and as you experience side effects yourself, remind yourself of that!!). All I've experienced is a lot of jaw clenching, neck tension, headaches, and a little dizziness. As of today, all of those side effects have mostly cleared. Now is the waiting game for my anxiety to slowly resolve and I'm very optimistic. GIVE IT A SHOT, your anxiety is what's telling you not to."

sharing (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "This medicine truly changed my life. I was afraid to go outside, FaceTime family, and even talk on the phone. A few weeks after starting this medication I began to feel like myself again and I didn't even know I wasn't myself until I was able to do things like a normal human being again. I had previously tried Propranolol to make it so my heart rate wouldn't get super high but that wasn't solving the root of the problem. I am very thankful for Lexapro and I highly recommend it if you are suffering from generalized anxiety disorder like I was. I haven't had any side effects either :)"

joshmcorreia (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 10, 2017

"Please, please, please give this medication a shot. With anxiety, your brain is not functioning normally and IT’S OKAY to use medication to feel like yourself again. If it’s not for you, it’s not for you- don’t get discouraged as there are plenty of other options out there. But please give it a try and stick it out. I did it, and I’m slowly getting my life back. A week of side effects is better than a lifetime of fear and detachment."

nervie (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I've had anxiety as long as I can remember. Symptoms like insomnia, eating issues, tons of intense fear around bizarre and unlikely life-threatening situations happening to me. I've also struggled with uncontrollable panic attacks during stressful times. I'm now a junior in college, and after a spell of depression (caused by panic attacks and constant anxiety), I decided to try medication (though, of course, taking meds made me anxious. Ha). I've now been on Lexapro for about 7 weeks, and I am very happy I chose to try it. I'm on 10mg, and the first week was miserable. Like everyone says, stick it out. Now, my outlook is much more positive, and I am way less anxious. Give it a shot! I'm thankful I did."

sophrick December 9, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I'm a 35-year-old woman and was on Lexapro 10mg from ages 21-30 and have been on 5mg for about 5 weeks now (staying at this dose) - both times for GAD without Depression and a touch of OCD. For the most part, I managed fairly well while off it (exercise, limited alcohol, CBT therapy) but had periods where my anxiety would flare up. My advice would be to try it. I was very anxious about idea of going back on medication (i.e. Googling all the horrible side effects) but I'm feeling significantly calmer, less anxious, and happier. I didn't think I needed medication...until I went back on medication (give it a few weeks) and felt the difference. I had convinced myself I was "OK" but really, I was "white knuckling" through my anxiety."

EOM (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Lexapro is an absolutely fantastic medication for anxiety. I went on it from 2014-2015 and had life-changing results, but I ended up going off because I gained 10-15 lbs. I ended up switching to Prozac, which is good for anxiety too but it is not the same. Lexapro brought me somewhat of a euphoria. I felt liberated. It feels more "pure" than Prozac. Fast forward to 2017, I have decided to try Lexapro again."

Beyonce (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 2, 2017

"Before taking this, I had general anxiety, worries, a little bit of OCD, a lot of social anxiety. Here is my experience: First month or so: LOTS of side effects. Massive sweating for no reason, insomnia, weight gain, I can't even remember what else, maybe GI issues. It doesn't matter, after I made it through that period, things began to get much, much better. Does what it is supposed to do: take away the anxiety. Amazingly. I am a different person. Only drawbacks are: decreased libido, weight gain, and a little bit of a subdued feeling. Not sure how to explain the subdued feeling, maybe that the highs aren't has high and the lows aren't nearly as low. Actually, the lows aren't a big deal at all, which is a good thing."

Ang Zi uh Tee (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 1, 2017

"I've suffered from panic attacks/GAD for about 10yrs. I'd manage them on my own but since moving cities they started back up again. I started having agoraphobia. I don't drink as my stepdad was an alcoholic and I became obsessed about checking ingredients in household/cosmetic products to ensure they didn't contain alcohol. If I found out I accidentally used something that had ethanol in it, I wouldn't leave the house for 2 days. I stopped driving and would cry everyday and have super anxiety. I went to my doctors and she prescribed me 5mg of Cipralex once a day and .5mg Klonopin. Less than 2 weeks on meds and I'm driving again and fear of alcohol is almost gone. Amazing medication. Minimum side effects. Please try it. So happy its working."

KCZ117892KC (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2017

"First off let me start off by saying that I am only here because before I started this medication I lived and died by the reviews on here. As a matter of fact had it not been for the reviews I probably never would have taken the chance and been A LOT worse off. If your reading this you’re probably at the point where you know you should take this medicine but anxiety is telling you it will harm or kill you. Don’t listen to it. It’s LYING. This medicine took me from being agoraphobic to attending rock concerts. It doesn’t work overnight and the side effects DID suck but they were worth every single one. I have my life back and my only regret is that I waited so long to try. I started in May and by October I was basically a brand new person."

Nicole35 November 25, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Lexapro 10mg helped me SO much. In June of 2016, my dad passed away unexpectedly. I'm 24 and a female. My life was turned upside down and I could not deal. I was a "normal" person w/o anxiety before this now I was experiencing chronic anxiety-panic attacks, mind racing, feelings of derealization, etc..It was chronic. I couldn't go to work and could barely even leave the house without having crippling anxiety. I tapered up from 5mg to 10mg over a few months and it literally saved me. I still had a few symptoms but nothing any different than just every day mild anxiety. It felt liberating. Lexapro 10mg saved my life."

jpaul33333 November 16, 2017

"I started to to have persistent stress so much I could not concentrate on anything (I'm software developer and my job requires high amount of focus). I tried exercise, eating well, deep breath without success. They were effective to decrease it a little bit but it was not enough. Then I started escitalopram (10 mg per day at 6 pm). It was a miracle. Without any apparent reason, my anxiety disappeared. My external world did not change. I was still living in the same place with the same people, the same job; everything stayed the same but somehow I was not worried anymore. I was on it for 1.5 year. When I discontinued it, I stayed GAD free. I discontinued it because most of the external stress triggers in my life were not there any more."

Sporadic GAD patient (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 10, 2017

"I was diagnosed with GAD/Depression 2 and a half years ago. I was having severe anxiety/panic attacks and I completely lost my appetite. I was given generic Lexapro (escitalopram 20mg). I took it for a year and weaned off successfully. After a year of being off of it, my anxiety returned. I went back on the escitalopram 20mg 15 days ago. First week was tough.. insomnia, feeling wired, then extreme fatigue and headaches. Those have subsided except I'm still a little fatigued. I don't think I will stop taking Lexpro ever again."

GADgirl (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have been on Lexapro for about 5 years now and it completely and utterly changed my life. I had very serious anxiety which caused my relationships problems, problems in my job and all over my life, I was erratic and an emotional rollercoaster, after 2 weeks on Lexapro I felt stable and always the happiest person in the room, my brain needs this to function correctly without a doubt. I look back and cant believe I was the person I once was."

toz October 19, 2017

"I've been taking Lexapro since August now. Started on a low dose (5mg) because I don't tolerate the side effects of antidepressants well. First few weeks of taking this wasn't the most pleasant experience but I soon got use to it and it wasn't so bad. I struggle with GAD and depression and while it hasn't cured my anxiety I am already feeling some better. I have since moved up to 20 mg. The list of side effects that I had most trouble with were; Drowsiness throughout the day, jitters, bruxism(clenching my teeth) and an increase of anxiety. I also noticed that I felt like I had the flu because of body aches. Made my eyes glossy as well."

Michelle910 October 18, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "This medication has literally given me my life back! I struggle with depression and anxiety and for those out there reading this and looking to find someone you can relate to. Let me tell you, you aren’t alone. I started this drug about 6 months ago and when I first started, I, like you, came to this site looking for reviews to help me get through it. Like other people on this board have mentioned it takes about 4 weeks to get used to it. I had to take it in conjuncture to Clonepan because it made my anxiety a lot worse at first and I was super paranoid about it and having panic attacks. Just breath. You will make it through and the other side is life as it should be! Stick with it it’s worth it !!"

Dontsweatthesmallstuff October 12, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Hi! I just wanted to share my experience for those who are out there scared to death to take something that may help them, something your brain may need. Long story short, I was diagnosed with GAD/Panic seven years ago at the age of 19 when my brother was diagnosed with a severe psychiatric mental illness - one that changed his life as well as my families. I began having full blown nocturnal panic attacks, depersonalization, along with extreme anxiety/panic. I tried CBT, changing my diet, doing meditation/yoga, journaling, deep breathing, etc. Nothing worked & nothing helped me overcome this except Lexapro. I am currently a RN and believe my brain needs this medication. Please don't be scared or ashamed if you need to take something to help."

Youarestrongerthanyouknow (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 8, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I took this for years and it greatly helped my GAD. I led a normal happy life on 20 mg. Never any real side effects until this year when my white blood cell count dropped very low and it was determined that the Lexapro caused it. I was taken off the medication and within 6 weeks developed horrible anxiety and depression. I’ve tried several new medications since and can’t get relief. It’s been 5 months of hell. I miss my Lexapro. I’m tempted to go back on it and take my chances, as so far nothing else is working and my life totally sucks! This medication was wonderful for me for 17yrs. It totally stopped my previously horrible GAD."

JJ120 (taken for 10 years or more) October 4, 2017

"I’ve had depression since the 11th grade and anxiety even longer. My low mood symptoms included crying a lot, secluding myself, paranoid about people watching me, self punishments, no clear thoughts, didn’t care about my future and couldn’t picture one, controlling about food and lost my love for reading and art. I felt fake around others and had to exhaust myself to seem “ok”. I’m taking 20mg and it has been nothing but a literal life saver for me. It takes the edge off of life and allows me to think rationally and focus. Give it Time, the symptoms decreased after a month or so for me. Things aren’t perfect, just incredibly more manageable, but best of all is genuinely laughing, smiling and saying “today was a good day” and meaning it."

Lily Ray September 30, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Oh my goodness I took lexapro 10 mg ONCE 3 nights ago I woke up feeling crazy, heart racing and my veins were on fire it was like my body went into a total shock. It has been over 48 hours and I'm still waiting for the effects to go away the depression is not so bad I feel better and have more energy to actually do Day to Day things. But the pain in my veins still pops up and the heart palpitations won't stop. I don't want to tell anyone not to take medicine when they need it but I am a natural remedy lover. I went to the beach yesterday I relaxed all day I ate three meals I drank lots of water and have been trying to sweat the pill out. This pill made me feel like I could deal with the panic better than actual medicine. Scariest experience ever."

Maris_89 (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2017

"I was getting panic attacks, overwhelming anxiety attacks and just wanted to sleep all of the time. My GP felt I'd probably been suffering depression for over five years, and prescribed Escitalopram, which works."

IPM (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 21, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Last week, I was doing the same thing you are probably doing. Scouring the internet for any reviews on Lexapro that tell me when it is going to start working. I needed any kind of reassurance that the side effects would be worth it. I was so anxious that I couldn't sleep, couldn't stop crying or obsessing over the symptoms of my anxiety, and was struggling to function with a 3 month old baby at home and just going back to a stressful job. It is day 12 on Lexapro, and I feel normal. I have slept the last 3 nights without Ambien, and I am calm. I feel genuinely happy for the first time in a month. I am feeling super encouraged and hopeful. I just wanted to share my experience and give you the reassurance you are probably looking for."

Johnsont44 September 21, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I was on 20mg of Celexa for 4 years for euphoric disorder. About 1 week before my period I would feel creepy cawling tingles up my spine and into my brain. I would have white hot temper outbursts. I was also abusing alcohol. Geez, great times. Now I haven't drank in 7 years. Celexa at that time was a God send. Never felt better. Than 3 weeks ago the medicine stopped working and I had to go to the ER twice in 1 weekend. The anxiety, vomitting, nausea, hot flashes and cold sweats were unmanageable. Finally my friend who is a Internist suggest Lexapro 10mg. I agreed and took it just like Celexa, before bed. I woke a new woman. All side effects gone, and normal feelings of happiness are in my heart. First day, so things may change, but I'm better."

Better321 September 17, 2017