User Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Also known as: Lexapro

Escitalopram has an average rating of 8.1 out of 10 from a total of 624 ratings for the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder. 76% of those users who reviewed Escitalopram reported a positive effect, while 9% reported a negative effect.

Escitalopram Rating Summary

8.1/10 average rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Escitalopram

Bes · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 8, 2021

“I used escitalopram for about 6 months, I had a very good experience it helped me get normalized since I was experiencing high level of anxiety and then escalated into panic. I requested a switch after 6 months because of low libido and insomnia, insomnia started to manifest later after I finished my project and was searching for another job. Overall very good experience so worth trying and talk to your doctor if you have lack of sleep or loss of libido because, especially lack of sleep since it's essential in you recovery. Best of luck and don't give yourself a hard time!”

Kel May 6, 2021

“I've always had anxiety & recently it got out of control. I had daily panic attacks, was in bed for weeks feeling nauseous, dizzy & full of nonstop anxiety. I tried everything, even checked into the E.R. I changed my diet, exercised, mediated, journaled. Nothing worked til my doctor prescribed me 10mg of escitalopram. The first week, had every side effect. Nausea, heightened anxiety, headaches, dizziness, hot flashes, tiredness, diarrhea & all subsided by week 2. I started to feel really good til week 3, my anxiety started to come back so my doctor told me to take 15mg. That was the magic number! I’m into my 7th week now and I feel great! No more severe anxiety or panic attacks. Reading the good reviews kept me going. This medicine has been a godsend for me. Give it at least 4-6 weeks to start working. You also need to be proactive & don’t solely depend on the pill. Get out & take walks in nature & sunshine. You got this, hang in there! It gets better!”

Fluffybunny · Taken for less than 1 month April 22, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “This medication is like magic and has improved my life in so many ways (minus the sexual dysfunction). I used to have anxiety-inducing thoughts and ruminated, now all of those are gone. I feel calm for the first time in years, and I didn't experience terrible side effects except the inability to orgasm and a stomach ache the first week. My mood is stable and peaceful. I also feel that I can finally concentrate on work.”

Suz June 3, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I will update in a few weeks with my full experience with starting Lexapro. Let me tell you, I was TERRIFIED to start this medication due to bad reviews. I am terrified of feeling ill and ESPECIALLY vomiting. I finally told myself this morning I can no longer live in fear of my own life, constantly anxious, and told myself to just take the medicine. I was prescribed 10 mg, but personally medications do cause significant side effects for me (I am 5’4 and 100 pounds soaking wet) so I broke it down to 2.5 mg to start. I have experienced NO terrible side effects, it’s been roughly eight hours. I have had some “burning” sensation in my stomach, but I also have terrible stomach issues as is. I have been tired as well, but depression does that to a person.. PLEASE TAKE THIS MEDICATION. IT MAY HELP YOU. IT MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE. You. Can. Do. This.. *I will update in a few weeks with results as of then*”

Nicolette · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 24, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I have extreme anxiety and chronic depression I can not tell you how much this medication has saved me from harming myself. I’ve been on it now for 5 years started at 2mg daily and now up to 10mg recently after losing my job and this coronavirus pandemic. Overall this pill isn’t magic but it’s helped me and my anxiety and compulsive thinking. It doesn’t give those weird side effects like blank thinking or weird dreams. All this medication has done is ground myself and thoughts and I’m thankful for that. Oh and if your worried that it makes you gain weight it did not make me gain any weight at all.”

happypillz · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 5, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I have had anxiety, insomnia and I guess depression for life. I'm 42 and finally told my PCP I felt like I was going to lose it after a lot of drama plus COVID quarantine. I was on zoloft (generic) for weeks and the side effects were unbearable, I almost checked myself into the hospital it was so bad. I was switched to lexapro (generic) and feel like a new woman! Calm cool and collected. Wish I had these in my 20s I would have a different life lol.”

Snoopy November 1, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I’ve been on Lexapro for 3 months now for major GAD, social anxiety and moderate to severe depression. I had gotten to the point where I was crying all day every day. Could barely function in social situations and would spend all day negatively ruminating over every little thing. I would wake up every night at 3-4 in the morning and just lay there worrying about everything. Lexapro is wonderful. This is the first time I’ve felt hopeful and productive in so long. I sleep through the night again and I haven’t cried in 2 months (that is HUGE for me). The only negatives I have noticed with Lexapro have leveled off after a couple of weeks. I experienced sexual side effects at first but they went away. Lots of grogginess in the morning at first but it leveled off. Anyway I’m at 20mg of Lexapro/day now and I’m so thankful. I haven’t felt this good in a really long time. It has given me my life back.”

Thankful February 11, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “2019 Took toll on my life in every aspect. I am 45 years old & my career crashed, my husband left me & I am battling legal issues. My husband locked me out of utility accounts til’ shut off notices arrived. I could not think straight at all. My stress & worries took over me. I began deep depression and the worries would overwhelm me to a point I wanted to sleep, but I had insomnia. My mind would race, I closed myself off to the world and prayed heavily. I could no longer have normal conversations. I pushed everyone away. I finally called my Dr, realizing it was more than I could handle. I’ve only been on it one week & can truly say “LEXAPRO SAVED MY LIFE”. I do not feel different at all. I feel “Normal”. I can think. I can decipher between tasks of importance and have been more productive than I have in a year. I sleep better. I go to bed with a clearer picture & less worry. The stress & reality is all still there, but each day I am managing and making progress now!”

Ali82 · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 6, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “3 years on Lexapro, I have a life. I am so grateful that I found a doctor who really worked with me to find something that worked. And also for convincing me to stay in it as I had so many conflicting beliefs around using antidepressants. My moods are stable, it’s helped me during 2 pregnancies and with postnatal anxiety. I notice my mood swings and insomnia creep back if I’m not taking regularly. It’s a lifesaver for me and it took me approx 9 days to start feeling normal when I first took it. The initial side effects do stop. Sex drive did come back. ”

Herta · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 7, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I was prescribed escitalopram for GAD with panic attacks after trying 2 other medicines(tryciclic antidepressants). Along with 20 mg lexapro I was taking 2 mg of clonazepam daily, 25 mg of quetiapine in the evening and melatonin for sleep. At that time I was experiencing all possible symptoms of severe anxiety, breathlessness, rapid heart rate, low mood, I felt overwhelmed and was crying all day. I had upset stomach, fear of dying, I wasn't going out at all, my family were worried and I thought I was dying. When I started the medicine I experienced side effects: excessive yawning, insomnia, increased anxiety, nausea, sweating which lasted about 2 weeks. After 3-4 weeks of taking escitalopram I started feeling better, I started therapy, and applying yoga , meditation etc. Now I feel great, I can enjoy life again and you can do it as well.”

Max March 9, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Hi there! Just a disclaimer, I am NOT a doctor, nor do I specialize in anything beyond my own experience. This is my own perspective that I want to share for those who were just like me. I take 2.5 mg of Lexapro. The first aspect I'd like to clarify, is that taking a pill is not magic. I work out 2-3 times a week, I eat healthy and I make a conscious effort to do skills my therapist teaches me like grounding, CBT, and balance. My anxiety is still there. However, the crippling act of having anxiety that would physically make me drop to my knees and ruminate in my brain for days in a row, has subsided. Side effects of weird dreams, icy-hot feeling and anxiousness did happen in the first week. This may not work for everyone, as everyone is different. I have read those same crazy reviews that scare you. I have circled on the act of why and when and how and what if. I still have fears. I still get anxious. However, the place I was at I wish for no one in the world to have to go through.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 11, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Hi I just started taking lexapro after having a major nervous breakdown due to coming off a Lyme disease medication too quickly. I had never felt so close to suicide in all my life. I started the lexapro at 5 mg and it started to help with the panic almost instantly, am trying to get to 10 mg slowly. Thanks for all the reviews, it really helped me when I was at my worst to hang in there and wait for the medication to start working. Hang in there everyone”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 19, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “First off I would like to say I feel everybody’s pain , and you are not alone . I went through years of anxiety and panic. Lexapro has changed my life . I’m on day 10 and I already feel a HUGE DIFFERENCE. Please believe me when I say this , while on this drug it has to get worse before it gets better ( exactly what my doctor told me ) . I had massive side affects the first 6 days at least and then are finally starting to taper off on day 10. Do not give up on the drug. I used to have 10 heart palpitations a day and now I have MAYBE 1 and it has only been 10 days . I started with 5 mg and on day 7 I jumped up to 10 mg . Side affects included dizziness , nausea , headache , extreme panic , sweaty hands and feet . You need to let this pass and realize you are going to be fine and get through this . If you play the game mind over matter you will win and it can change your life . I feel all your pain and hope this review has at least pointed one person in the right direction.”

Outside Sales · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 2, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I have been an over the road salesman for 23 years. 5 years ago I had a panic attack while driving on the highway in a construction zone. I could only manage back roads to get home. I lost sensation in my feet and hands, not good for driving. 10 mg Lexapro had me driving on highways again after a month.”

anonymous January 28, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I just wanted to share my experience with people who are just starting out on Lexapro. This is my 20th day on Lexapro and I must say that the first two weeks are pretty rough. The first week it made my anxiety to the point I've never felt before with nausea, fatigue, headache with a fog. Had insomnia was well. The second week the anxiety started to subside and nausea was gone but started to get hunger pains so drank a lot of water instead of grabbing food every time I got the hunger pain. I also got some days with dizziness in week two and fog and headache with fatigue during the mornings (I take it first thing in morning) and would subside by afternoon. Insomnia started to get better. By the start of week number three all the side effects started to diminish little each and every day. At this point pretty much all side effects are gone and no anxiety. It took about 3 weeks for me and now its great. 10mg day.”

Amelia December 19, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Let’s talk menopause! I eat healthy teach yoga all work with natural therapies. Stress and meonopause, diet, exercise, meditation and herbals didn’t clear the fog and short temper and irritability. I was turning into a porcupine and I was prickly to everyone and everything around me, defensive. It took effort to to do anything, negative brain chatter, apathy, jumping from project to project shopping for satisfaction. Three days ago I went for a physical we talked and it is now three days on Lexapro, very little side affects, the difference is that someone turned on the sunshine in my heart again, sleeping with a smile, jaw clenching, gone! So grateful for this tool of healing. It is where I need to be, yes I will still keep taking those supplements and maybe that’s why I don’t have such bad starting effects. I think too much emphasis on lack of sex drive. For me I’d rather be happy functional sunny balanced and grounded”

Nikki · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 31, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “This is a lifesaver for me! I was prescribed this because I have minor generalized anxiety and OCD with intrusive thoughts, I regret I did not take this sooner. I was very scared to take it at first because of side effects, I didn't want to be "zombie like" but this helped my OCD thoughts immensely. I still get anxiety now and then but its much easier to brush off..I didn't have any bad side effects, the thing I recognized most is your brain feels quieter but not in a zombie way, I would get anxiety because I wasn't having anxiety anymore haha.. this medication seemed to help me right away within 2 weeks but I noticed a full effect after 2-3 months.”

mogy · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 6, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Condition GAD/Depression MEDS Lexapro 20mg / Lorazepam 3mg Klonopin 1mg I have had GAD most if my life. Only did a little good on prozac 10mg but moved to Japan where it is not approved. It took a couple of months to get to 10mgs and about a year to get on 20mg. After being able to tolerate 20mg everything became much better. Don't need the benzos as much and the only side effect is I feel a little spaced out. I think you have to be patient with this med and give it plenty of time to change your brain before it starts to really work. Compared to the various other meds. Lexapro had the least start-up side effects and they all went away pretty soon. I truly believe that this medication is one of the best options but go slow. 5 to 10 to 15 to 20. After being on 10 for awhile going up isn't that bad. Good luck and always reach out to someone when it feels like you can't handle it.”

Jojo · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 21, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “My life was literally wrecked by depression and anxiety when it turned its ugly head when I was 17 years old. I've been through terrible times and through a living nightmare. Now I'm 32 years old on Lexapro and I feel good finally.”

pablo2000 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 9, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “After suffering with OCD since childhood (I'm now 36) and have been through various long lasting periods of depression and bouts of extreme OCD. I gave up on the few times I'd tried other therapies. I finally just asked my Dr if I could try anti depressants. She offered 5mg of Lexapro for 2 weeks and in view to up dosage afterwards if I felt ok. 5mg seemed to not have any side effects, but the difference in my anxiety was not greatly improved. So I upped to 10mg in the morning. A month in and I can honestly say I have been better than I have been in ages. Really amazed at the results. Don't expect euphoria, as its not a happy pill unless you have an imbalance. But I feel like I must have, as I really feel a whole lot better, and still feel like the same person. Just without all the stupid worries. Highly recommend for anxiety and OCD. I wish I took it 20 years ago.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 25, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I started 5 mg of Lexapro for social anxiety a month ago, with no side effects. My doctor increased to 10 mgs. And after 2 yrs, I'm still uses it, and my social anxiety is subsided Amazing, I was a mess!”

Calder · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 11, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “This is the 2nd time I've been on Lexapro. The first time was 15 yrs ago for 2 years at 5mg. It worked, especially for my GAD. This time, I know have an autoimmune disease with weird symptoms that significantly exacerbates my GAD and depressive thought cycles. Reluctantly, I went back on 5mg of Lexapro and it has helped, significantly. My main side effect is vivid dreaming, but I'm a prolific dreamer anyway. For me, 10mg is too much. Doctors don't like to hear that. Trust what works for you! You know your body. Lexapro is one of the safest SSRIs out there and I don't like taking meds. . .of any kind.”

Ola · Taken for less than 1 month October 13, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I've had anxiety problems since I was about 12 and was put on Lexapro when I was 18 years old. I didn’t feel much difference that time and stopped after about a month because my parents found out I was on it and shamed me into stopping. I’m now 19 and my anxiety has gotten much worse, I disassociate often and I’m depressed. I got put back on it and I’m on day 4. I’m having a really bad time on it. I’m extremely anxious right now, it’s made me dizzy and it’s given me stomach problems. I did notice an improvement in my sleeping right away which has been amazing. Reading the comments that say that you just have to wait it out are helping a lot, it’s making me motivated to continue and it’s reminding me that this feeling isn’t going to last. I hope in a few months things are better.”

tbrx8369 October 29, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I have struggled with anxiety for my whole life but in the past 5 years it has gotten uncontrollable & I was crying every single day. I didn’t feel like me & felt so lost. I am 22 & in nursing school so there is a lot of pressure but this has been something I’ve wanted & knew I could achieve, but couldn’t do it with my anxiety. I was VERY skeptical about taking anything & have tried every alternative I could think of but I just couldn’t quite get there. I have been taking Lexapro 10 mg for over a month now & it has made my life 100x better. I haven’t cried once or felt extremely overwhelmed the entire time. The only side effects I experienced were sweating, dry mouth, & a slight headache. These have all subsided after the first week. This drug has made me feel like me again & I didn’t know if I would get here but I’m so glad I am. Don’t let the reviews scare you into not trying a medicine, it can help you if you let it. Give it time & push through. It’s so worth it.”

SugoiApples · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 21, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Lexapro was the first meds I took to help with my anxiety and panic attacks and worked great. I did get side effects for only the first week, I had nausea and headaches, the side effects were tolerable though. Little by little I felt like I was able to get my life back. The only side effect that made me want to stop was a decrease in my sex drive. If it weren't for that it would be a 10/10 for me.”

Jeb · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 20, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I am 60 years old and have suffered from anxiety since I was 23 years old. Many times the panic attacks were quite severe. I had trouble holding down a job and there were times I couldn't drive and was terrified of being alone. I've tried so many anti anxiety drugs but I expected them to work right away. I've done years of counseling. In October of 2020 my doctor put me on 5mg of Lexapro.I knew what side effects to expect and they lasted almost 3 weeks before I started to notice that it was working. In January I started 10mg. I have not had an anxiety attack since I've been taking Lexapro. It gave me my life back. I feel normal for the first time in many years.”

A · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 26, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I hope this helps people who feel scared. A few months ago my anxiety got very bad, I couldn't enjoy life: worrying about travelling, weeks of insomnia, physical symptoms before starting the pills: nausea, irritability, sugar cravings, twitching, high sensitivity to sounds or sudden moves. I read the reviews here - terrifying. I started five weeks ago. 5mg - felt a bit sick. Scared for the first two days, a bit agitated - nothing serious. The pills can't hurt you. Most people tolerate them pretty well. The first days I felt extremely tired, but it didn't last. Things started looking up after a week. I increased to 10mg - after 3 weeks that made a difference - 90% better. CBT also helped a lot. I'm responding to anxiety very differently now. Meds are working. I watch my favorite shows again, read, travel, walk. Amazing - happy. I'm back to my old self - fun and engaging. ”

Wow · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 25, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Lexapro has literally changed my life from the first 24 hours I started taking it. For the first time in my life, I understand what it’s like to have a quiet/calm mind, rather than coming from a place of anxiety. I’ve suffered from anxiety/depression/ptsd for years and just thought it was a normal way of living. Turns out, all I needed was Lexapro and all my other medical problems have drastically reduced! My IBS is completely gone, and I’m back to living a normal life! I seriously can’t express how grateful I am for this medication.”

Learn more about Generalized Anxiety Disorder