User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Escitalopram Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

"It makes me feel great, and it's way less invasive than any other drug I've tried (Fluoxetine, Sertraline, Paroxetine). I do not experience sexual problems at all (male), no diarrhea, no trembling. However, it does make me feel a bit dizzy sometimes but it's something you get used to. I'm on 10mg and I truly feel like I'm making progress."

Lu (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 12, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "It was the best thing I ever did for myself I haven’t looked back. The first week I felt sick & extremely anxious. I have GAD. But I pushed through and came out the other side. That heavy weight I carried around on my chest got lighter everyday and 3 months later it is honestly gone. I feel so good I am in the present moment, I enjoy things, my relationship is better then ever, no arguments anymore, no stressing over silly things. My OCD symptoms are minimal I can tell myself I don’t need to do it right now and I won’t where as before I would have insomnia. I am 21, at uni, living my best life now, I recommend lexapro it brought me back down to earth. My anxiety ruins all my relationships, starting arguments & my anxiety makes me angry, currently I am at peace, no stresses, I can sleep, no heart palpitations everyday, stable relationship & happy. I wish I started it sooner . I am enjoying getting to know this side of myself as I have only known my anxious self the last few years."

Orangejuice (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2018

"Escitalopram's action against anxiety is explicit. I suffered from generalized anxiety disorder for more than two months and the drug helped me from the first week. My symptoms were relatively severe, since I wasn't able to eat anything, I didn't sleep at all, I faced social anxiety, I wasn't able to concentrate and the most intense feeling I recall was that of absolute despair. However, after the first week I started feeling much better. I had a relapse after the first month that lasted for more or less two weeks, but after that, I am back to normal for more than 9 months now. I continue taking the medication out of fear, but the truth is that I found myself again, so I am planning to stop in the next trimester."

DA (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I was diagnosed with GAD and depression in 2008 and was prescribed this by my psych. 10 mg of lexapro it worked wonders for my GAD and depression. I was also prescribed klonopin to take as needed for anxiety. Lexapro is the drug for me. I changed psychiatrists recently and she increased my dosage to 20mg daily of lexapro. Also she had me on 100 mg of vistaril to take as needed. Vistaril had practically no effect on me. Also I was prescribed 15 mg of mirtazapine At bedtime with mirtazapine I sleep like a baby Side effects are vivid dreams and increased appetite. This my first drugs review I would like to hear from anyone on these 3 meds and share their experiences with me, thanks"

Jon September 1, 2018

"I have been on Escitalopram for about 15 years and it did wonders for my anxiety. For about 12 years I was on 15 mg a day. I tapered down to 10 mg about 3 years ago and did well. About a month ago my anxiety began to come back. I finally saw a psychiatrist who suggested I was having a relapse and might want to increase back up to 15mg. She started me on 12.75mg and my anxiety has increased. I remember having an increase in anxiety when I first started . It took me about 4-6 weeks to stabilize and then I felt great. I’m wondering if this will be the same? I take a low dose of Ativan at night for sleep. I’m not feeling better. I have a lot of anxiety, brain fog and feel exhausted. I try to push myself a bit every day but it seems to get harder. I’m wondering if I just have to wait it out. Thanks for any words of encouragement."

Catlady (taken for 10 years or more) August 28, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I trudged through 15 years of depression and anxiety too afraid to pick up the phone, too embarrassed to be the next one in my family who admits mental health issues. I finally forced myself to make an appointment with a doctor I didn't even know. Just over 3 months on Lexapro later, and it's the best decision I've ever made. I started on 10mg and am now on 20mg. Sweating and tingles were my only side effects, and only for the first week on 10mg and the first week on 20mg. They faded, and it would have been worth it even if they hadn't. I am now positive throughout my day, don't have the afternoon crash, and don't dread every work moment anymore. 9 /10"

CardinalsDrew (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Thank goodness for this med. I had severe anxiety after I had my baby. So bad I couldn't eat, sleep, etc. A few weeks on this and I was a new person. I got to be the mother I wanted to be. I'm so glad I have my life back."

Goose Lady (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 15, 2018

"I have been taking escitaloram for almost 7 weeks. I still suffer from anxiety especially in the morning. But there are days that I feel better but it is rare. The only benefit that I have noticed is I can sleep now without taking a very low dose of olanzapine,I would like to consider that as an improvement. I recently raise my dosage to 15mg and the anxiety returns again. I hope that it will finally kick in.."

Ian M. (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2018

"I have been on 10mg of lexapro for 4 months and it has been the worst experience of my life. Though it has helped my anxiety in the sense that I sleep at night, my morning and daytime anxiety is horrible. I am barely making it through the day as I have awful obsessive thoughts and ruminations which did not exist prior to the drug. I am seeing a psychiatrist next week so that I can begin getting off of this medicine. I am happy if it works for some people. It’s definitely not for me."

Feelingdoomed (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Lexapro made my life normal again, until I was so stressed and I'm diagnosed bipolar that I started to feel manic. Now my Doctor will add lexapro to quetiapine for bipolar disorder. I hope that it has the same effect that it had before on me. I loved it. It brought my life back"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 26, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I been on lexapro for very bad anxiety and I have anxiety because I have PCOS and keep getting UTI'S because of it UTI can effect the mind like a bad virus. I have only been on it about a week but I can feel a difference. Before it I didn't want to do things or go out of my house I battled anxiety for 4 years with no meds cause I'm scared to even take OTC meds so this was a battle but after a miscarriage my doctor though it was best . The first week has been a little struggle, I started out on 5mg and move to 10mg in 2 weeks. I say to anyone interested - try it. Life is hard but Lexapro makes it ok. No it's not a cure but It helps ...."

Lizzie (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I am on my 10th day of lexapro and I notice some improvement. I hope it will continue."

Ian July 2, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have been on lexapro for a year and it LITERALLY saved my life. I was experiencing panic attacks, had mild depression and social phobia. One year later and I have NONE of that! I think I will be on this medication for the rest of my life, I am 33 years old and WISH I had started this medication on my early 20's as my anxiety pulled me back in so many ways from living life. Now I am stable, I feel happy to hop out of bed, I am confident at work, no more social phobia and shaking and heart palpitations etc. I was so scared to take this medication when I first started, as I read many reviews that mention the bad side effects. Honestly, do not let the starting side effects discourage you. The side effects are not fun BUT it is also not fun having extreme anxiety and/or depression for the rest of your life. The side effects will go away! Obviously this is my experience everyone is different but my advise is to stick it out! It only changed my life for the better. I started on 5mg, two weeks later 10mg and now on 15mg."

Bess June 23, 2018

"I started escitalopram after 4 years of GAD/MDD. I'd been hesitant to take medication because I didn't want the easy way out. If some of my behaviors were contributing to my mental conditions, I wanted to fix them first. But I finally realized I needed more help than I was getting. This medication has been a godsend. I had mood swings for the first 2 weeks, but they stabilized. After that, the negative self-talk wasn't running in the background so much. I didn't need to distract myself; I could appreciate the moment. I didn't realize how much I had missed mental silence. I think the silence has helped me more than anything else. Escitalopram certainly didn't fix all my problems - there were some behaviors and beliefs that needed to change too! I'd recommend anyone with GAD or MDD at least look into therapy. But this medication strengthened me enough to make some changes I needed in my life. I don't feel like a different person; I feel like a healthier version of myself."

Ignis (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 23, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Hi guys, 24 year old female, I have tried Zoloft in the past and prozac before I tried lexapro. 4 weeks in on 10mg and I didn’t feel it working much for my mood so I went up to 20mg. And I slightly feel more calmer. I’m on this medication for extreme anxiety and panic disorder. It has helped dramatically, and it’s only been 4 and a half weeks now. I was crippled from anxiety and scared to go out in public just in case of a panic attack, but now I feel like it’s more manageable. I haven’t experienced severe side effects (thankfully). I don’t experienced fatigue and just feeling really lazy and lack of motivation to exercise. But it is so much better than waking up in an absolute panic. It’s amazing how I has helped me. Good luck to anyone trying it."

Smurfygirl June 22, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "This medication works really well for me with minimal side effects. I have taken it for some time."

Lee (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 19, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I was once you, reading drug reviews online, trying to find reassurance. Before you read this I want you to know that my experience is not your experience, or anyone else’s for that matter. For me, this drug did not work. It seemed to create incredibly obsessive and unwanted thoughts, which in turn led to more anxiety. I also became pretty depressed, and felt drugged. I took myself off of it and now I’m returning to normal. If you can, try the natural route first, and use benzos for short time acute anxiety if you can. If it’s still bad, give Lexapro a try. I know it works for plenty of people, just not me."

Adim7 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I suffer with agoraphobia, generalized anxiety, panic attacks, emetophobia AND depression. I know, quite a list. I have suffered for over 40 years. Mainly due to the emetophobia (fear of vomiting) I feared side effects of meds. This is the 2nd time in my life being on prescription meds. I started taking Alprazolam in 2004. This was great, I am still on the same dose I was back then. 0.5 mg. This gave me a life outside of my home!!! I was basically housebound since I was 14. By 2009, I told my Dr. of 30 years I wanted more of a life. I hadn't seen the ocean since I was 13. I NEEDED to get there again. He put me on Lexapro. My dr. put in a special authorization to the insurance company. You may want to talk to your Dr. and have him do this for you."

Bonnie June 11, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have taken Lexapro(Brand only) for years. I Tried the generic twice for the insurance companies. 5 generic tabs did not produce the results that 1 Lexapro Brand did. Recently for the 3rd time United Healthcare simply decided that they would just "Not Paid for Lexapro". Every genetic make-up is different. Lexapro works for me, however I cannot pay $535.00/ month. I am suffering terribly and will probably lose my job and livelihood tomorrow because I cannot cope. I wish the insurance company would have to pay unemployment benefits."

nurse (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 23, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I've now been on lexapro for 5 months now. Doctor started me on 5 mg. The initial side effects for me were drowsiness after taking so I took it after dinner. I am now at 15mg. I no longer experience drowsiness. I am a completely different person. I am so happy I stuck through it. This medication takes time! I am now able to have small talk with cashiers. I am able to take better care of myself. I don't feel as anxious and for the first time in my life and I feel comfortable with myself. My emotions are very stable. I no longer get stuck in a deep depression or self destructive thoughts. The long term side effects I've experienced is not being able to orgasm as well and 6lb weight gain."

Geogaddi (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 23, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Hi all, I have been suffering from severe generalised anxiety disorder with social anxiety since I was 25. I am turning 31 in a couple of weeks. Throughout this time I've been on and off sertraline. I always found that the initial 2 or 3 weeks were OK but then I'd be back to square one with my anxiety. I am currently taking 10mg for the last 3 weeks and I feel the past 3 days I'm back to square one completely. I'm not sleeping, eating, I just am not functioning. I've a 16 month old son, a partner and a job that I need to be well for. Has anyone any advice on what medications, maybe a combination, have been affective in completely ridding their anxiety and allowing them to function? Desperate for help and advice. Thanks."

C87 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "My bloodwork was abnormal, body was expressing hypothyroidism but my heart said hyper. The past 2 years have been awful from increasing anxiety, night terrors to the point I was scared to sleep, then I started to have high blood pressure w/ headaches. A 30 year old with cardiac issues. Body would tense I had tingling in my neck and jaw I felt like I was under water my head would get foggie, sinkable episodes. I always kept my doctor in Nj. But she told me when you're ready come to me. I broke down. Being in the medical field no one likes the idea of a SSRI's. I'm not depressed. All the research. Then she told me try lexapro. Give it a month and let me know. Lexapro I was able to handle things better. A month hit and I'm like I don't feel anything. Went off it after a month for a week. Night terrors came back, sweats, my OCD was horrible. I mowed a lawn 3 times. I went back on it. Add that to PTSD, stress, thyroid and life. Lexapro has made all the difference."

CapeMay May 11, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I’d been on Effexor XR for 4 years & decided to wean off it in January to see if I could manage on amino acids & nutrition and I was great until my mother-in-law passed away & the issues that arise in a blended family regarding wills/money etc all got to be too much. I realised that I needed medication & talk therapy again so went to my GP & asked to go on Lexapro as I’d heard good things about using it to treat GAD. Big mistake, I was on this medication for 11 days trying to white knuckle it through the “side effects” & almost lost my mind, SSRI’s obviously aren’t for me as I had a similar reaction to Prozac. I stopped the meds cold turkey as advised by my doctor & felt better later that day, today is day 1 back on Effexor XR & my mood has already lifted. Trust your instincts, if it feels wrong it might not just be “side effects”."

Mumof2 (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I suffered from irregular anxiety and panic attacks so bad I would vomit and be incapacitated for days. Then a few stressful family events happened all at once and suddenly I was having panic attacks daily. I decided to try medication as I wasn’t able to calm down from my panicked state and knew something had to change. So I started Lexapro 10mg. At first my anxiety was more severe and I was feeling depressed when I had never been a depressed person before. My doctor told me to stick with it and I’m glad I did. After about 4 weeks I felt stable and happy. I had a good appetite for the first time in years and felt like I could handle day to day issues with confidence again. It’s been about 3 months now and I feel more capable and functional than ever. I would advise anyone struggling with the early stages to stick with it and to speak to a psychologist to get some coping strategies as well. It really helped me to talk to someone and better understand what was happening to me."

Nolongerafraid May 6, 2018

"Give it time! It will work if you give it time. I had a severe panic attack that lasted two days - I didn't know what was wrong. I was given Ativan at the hospital and that help bring the panic down a bit, but I needed a long term solution as I was panicked and anxious all day everyday for weeks. After my doctor started me on Escitalopram, I didn't notice any change for 3 weeks, I started low dose (5Mg) working my way up to 20mg. 2 weeks after bumping up to 20mg the change was spectacular. I also participated in anxiety counselling and began exercising I am still on 20mg once a day and am feeling back to my normal self. Just give it time, I know while you are waiting that's the last thing you want to hear, but stick with it, things will get better. I read these reviews all the time while going through my panic and anxiety, praying that I would someday be able to post that the medication worked for me and now I finally can"

Angela April 20, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...

Learn more about Generalized Anxiety Disorder