User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Escitalopram Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

"I started escitalopram after reading review after review about how it worked so well for others. This was not the case for me. I was only on the medication for 4 weeks, and had to come off quickly once I started having repetitive depressing thoughts. They terrified me, which would in turn make my anxiety spike. This was my 3rd medication to try. I'm so ready to find something that works for my body."

TireOfThis (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 30, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I’m on lexapro day 1. Moved out of home 6 months ago and now all the hype has gone I’m struggling with day to day activities and hardly eating. My bf cheated on me and I’ve kept him over it so that creates big anxiety issues for me too. Today is day one I tried pristique yesterday and it was an absolute no go as I got heaps of numbing and tingling. Today my face is a little numb and my arm tingles so slightly but I have eaten which is a big thing after no meals for two weeks. I feel a little groggy tired but can’t sleep so just having lay downs. Will keep all updated."

Minds (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2018

"I've currently been on this medication for a month and so far it's made my anxiety worse, I've been more tired and it's definitely given me brain fog because it's making University lectures a lot more difficult to process what my lecturer is saying. I'm a 22 year old male and have noticed slight sexual dysfunction, however, I will keep sticking to this medication for another month as I have no other options currently."

teal1995 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2018

"On day 11 of generic lexapro and I already feel a difference I'm hoping its only going to get better from here"

Nikole909 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2018

"Pros : 10 mg of Lexapro does well treating anxiety. Cons: Cannot have an orgasm, numb to feeling any sexual pleasure. Solution: Added 300mg of Wellbutrin which helps to make sex enjoyable (reduces the numbness and helps with sex drive), but still haven't had an orgasm during sex since starting Lexapro about 8 months ago. Basically, you have to trade in your sex life to live a life without anxiety. It's like how Ariel from The Little Mermaid had to trade in her voice to become a human. For me, the sexual side effects are equivalent to Paxil. "

Girl in her 20's (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 17, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Currently writing this from the psych ward. Lexapro 15mg drove me to this place...long forgotten rumination and OCD returned within a week on this drug, severe derealization/depersonalisation, nightmares, intrusive thoughts etc. Even with high doses of seroquel I was still in a horrible place. Gave it 6 weeks and ended up in hospital. Will never touch it again."

roobyskska (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Lexapro saved my life and marriage. My anxiety was so bad I feared going to the grocery store, driving, talking on the phone, talking to neighbors. I was scared that nobody liked me, I was moody, I thought I was a bad person and parent and destined for failure. I drank every night and cried all the time bc of family issues. I was mean and irritable to my husband. One day, I decided enough is enough. My doc put me on Lexapro and I’m not looking back! Ever! I am confident, happy, focused and insightful. I’m able to be HERE and NOW instead of an anxious prison in my mind. I still have major problems in my family, but I can deal with them with a clear mind. The first days on it I felt weird, headache, anxious, dry mouth, diarrhea, shaky hands. Now 3 weeks later- I’m good. My hands shake more than they did before and it gives me dry mouth, but it’s worth it. I’m back!!!!"

Happyfeet (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I live in MN and get anxious in the winters so I go on 10mg every October and it helps. Without it I get thoughts stuck in my head like assuming I said something stupid and then obsessing over it. Or trying to mind read people and always assuming the worst. This med helps shut it off and I am very comfortable being myself when I'm on it. However, I don't like being on it because it also shuts off other thoughts; like being able to actively listen to people or sharing my thoughts on a subject. I will have a hard time coming up with words and stop mid-sentence. My libido was fine and it actually helped me last longer in bed. Eventually it stops working around the spring anyways and I don't want to up the dosage or I'd be a complete moron. I tried coupling it with adderall or Wellbutrin but those caused too much anxiety and I couldn't sleep on adderall. I'm going to try something new this summer, maybe Remeron. But it really, really helps with the anxiety."

J Man March 8, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Hi all, coming up to week 6 on Lexapro 15mg. First few weeks were absolute hard work. Since starting I’ve been experiencing shakes, twitches, brain fog and derealisation/depersonalisation which has been really awful. I am also currently on seroquel (quetiapine) 25mg in the mornings and evenings. I have had a few glimmers of hope but am still unable to leave the house, speak on the phone etc. I have noticed my ability to cry sober coming back which may seem bad, but is actually a really good thing for tension relief. My psych wanted me to up the dose to 20mg Lexapro but I couldn’t handle it...I know it can take awhile to begin to take effect but seeing everyone improving so much in so few weeks makes me feel worried! Does anyone have any experiences with it working later than expected?"

Rubydoob (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I am 46 years old. For many years I've been depressed and had anxiety attacks. I was not aware of what I was going through, I've lost friend and stopped speaking to family members. I've been on lexapro for 2 weeks and everyone is complimenting me. They say I look happy, I am glowing, I feel so alive!! I never thought I would feel this way and I am so happy. I take 10mg before bed. I get a good night sleep if I can sneak a nap during the day. I do. But I highly recommend this medication"

Worry freak (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2018

"This medication has literally changed my life. I’ve been diagnosed with GAD & Clinical Depression. My depression came from the stress of my anxiety and panic attacks. I literally had anxiety about having anxiety. It got so bad to where it was causing physical symptoms that would not go away no matter how many doctors I visited. My Dr thought I had vertigo, a brain tumor, inner ear infection due to the off balance, dizziness, headaches and lightheadedness. I asked him to give this medication a shot because I thought my anxiety was caused by the thought of having a brain tumor. Since taking this, we now know it was anxiety all along. It truly helped change my life so much. Side effects only lasted for about a month. (Serious heartburn for me.) All is so well now!"

Ashley (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 26, 2018

"My anxiety had been under control for some time without meds, until all of a sudden my world came crashing down and I was hardly able to function. This medication has helped immensely. I was very scared to take it in the beginning, especially following reading bad experiences others had. I'm glad I took the chance! A few side effects in the beginning, such as feeling zombie-ish, lack of motivation, fogginess, drowsiness, not feeling quite myself. The first few days were the hardest, but it has only gotten better and better. The anxiolytic effect was apparent immediately - even with having side effects my constant nagging anxiety and panic symptoms were gone. I started on 5mg and after about a week was feeling some of the anxiety again, so upped it to 10mg. I've been fine since. I completely stopped using Ativan and can cope so much better than I was before. My advice would be to try it even if you're scared - it could get worse or it could also get so much better. You never know!"

Love.x.pickles February 12, 2018

"Well it's only day 1 taking 5mg lexapro. 2 hrs after taking it my heart was beating so fast and got real hot and felt like I was high on drugs. How long will this last? I haven't been able to even get out of bed. Should I just stop the med? And try something natural? Side effects are awful. I was always an outgoing person. Went everywhere worked out 6 days a week. I could drive. Now I'm afraid of everything."

Smiller12 (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I wish I hadn't waited so long to take Lexapro. I feel lighter and my anxiety has disappeared. I feel normal again. The side effects have gone, that took about a month. I don't get overwrought anymore and can deal with things again."

puremule123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 26, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I suddenly developed severe GAD and agoraphobia in Sept 2017. I could barely walk down the stairs in my house. Nov 2017 I started out on 5 mg of Escitalopram. The first two weeks were rough but it was working. Built up to 15 mg I have been on it for 9 weeks now and feel good. Some yawning everyday but it is worth it. I highly recommend it. Please stick with the medicine for at least a month. It takes time to work. Only read POSITIVE reviews on Lexapro. I got thru it reading the positive reviews on here Motivate yourself to do daily functions! This medicine is not a total cure. You have to motivate yourself daily to do stuff. Start out small. In order to get over anxiety you have to put yourself thru it. Also definitely recommend CBT."

KatB06 January 23, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I took this for GAD and it didn't do anything for me. For OCD and depression, did a little better but needed more from it. Switched off of it and won't be coming back."

Copper360 January 16, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Lexapro has truly changed my life. Prior to taking it, the level of panic I was experiencing felt like I had just tripped on the sidewalk, and my face was headed straight for the pavement. Instead of the terror lasting for a split second though, the terror lasted days on end. I was having suicidal thoughts. Lexapro takes a while to kick in, but once it does, it was like night and day for me. For anyone struggling with anxiety reading this right now, just know better days are ahead of you, and there are solutions out there like Lexapro."

AnxietyAdvocate December 28, 2017

"My past and current health issues have created some kind of PTSD with crazy panic/ anxiety. I tried zoloft last year and got turned off by the startup side effects. This time around my doctor started me out on lexapro 2.5mg for a week and upping it slowly. This cut down on the side effect intensity greatly. I had some insomnia at night with a drugged out dizzy feeling all day. Anxiety increased a little but all of this subsided mostly by week 3. It's been 5 weeks and I'm feeling more like my old self and feel so grateful! I believe starting slowly has set me up for success. Remember that everyone is different and "therapeutic dose" is not cookie cutter. Give it time. In the mean time exercise if possible, it helps."

luxlocks (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2017

"I'm a 25 y/o grad student who has GAD and panic disorder. When CBT, meditation, exercise, and avoidance weren't cutting it anymore, I knew I had to give something else a try. I started 10 mg of escitalopram 10 days ago and was very nervous about the horror story side effects I'd read online, but figured no side effect would be as bad as the anxiety I was living with every day (and as you experience side effects yourself, remind yourself of that!!). All I've experienced is a lot of jaw clenching, neck tension, headaches, and a little dizziness. As of today, all of those side effects have mostly cleared. Now is the waiting game for my anxiety to slowly resolve and I'm very optimistic. GIVE IT A SHOT, your anxiety is what's telling you not to."

sharing (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "This medicine truly changed my life. I was afraid to go outside, FaceTime family, and even talk on the phone. A few weeks after starting this medication I began to feel like myself again and I didn't even know I wasn't myself until I was able to do things like a normal human being again. I had previously tried Propranolol to make it so my heart rate wouldn't get super high but that wasn't solving the root of the problem. I am very thankful for Lexapro and I highly recommend it if you are suffering from generalized anxiety disorder like I was. I haven't had any side effects either :)"

joshmcorreia (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 10, 2017

"Please, please, please give this medication a shot. With anxiety, your brain is not functioning normally and IT’S OKAY to use medication to feel like yourself again. If it’s not for you, it’s not for you- don’t get discouraged as there are plenty of other options out there. But please give it a try and stick it out. I did it, and I’m slowly getting my life back. A week of side effects is better than a lifetime of fear and detachment."

nervie (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I've had anxiety as long as I can remember. Symptoms like insomnia, eating issues, tons of intense fear around bizarre and unlikely life-threatening situations happening to me. I've also struggled with uncontrollable panic attacks during stressful times. I'm now a junior in college, and after a spell of depression (caused by panic attacks and constant anxiety), I decided to try medication (though, of course, taking meds made me anxious. Ha). I've now been on Lexapro for about 7 weeks, and I am very happy I chose to try it. I'm on 10mg, and the first week was miserable. Like everyone says, stick it out. Now, my outlook is much more positive, and I am way less anxious. Give it a shot! I'm thankful I did."

sophrick December 9, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I'm a 35-year-old woman and was on Lexapro 10mg from ages 21-30 and have been on 5mg for about 5 weeks now (staying at this dose) - both times for GAD without Depression and a touch of OCD. For the most part, I managed fairly well while off it (exercise, limited alcohol, CBT therapy) but had periods where my anxiety would flare up. My advice would be to try it. I was very anxious about idea of going back on medication (i.e. Googling all the horrible side effects) but I'm feeling significantly calmer, less anxious, and happier. I didn't think I needed medication...until I went back on medication (give it a few weeks) and felt the difference. I had convinced myself I was "OK" but really, I was "white knuckling" through my anxiety."

EOM (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Lexapro is an absolutely fantastic medication for anxiety. I went on it from 2014-2015 and had life-changing results, but I ended up going off because I gained 10-15 lbs. I ended up switching to Prozac, which is good for anxiety too but it is not the same. Lexapro brought me somewhat of a euphoria. I felt liberated. It feels more "pure" than Prozac. Fast forward to 2017, I have decided to try Lexapro again."

Beyonce (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 2, 2017

"Before taking this, I had general anxiety, worries, a little bit of OCD, a lot of social anxiety. Here is my experience: First month or so: LOTS of side effects. Massive sweating for no reason, insomnia, weight gain, I can't even remember what else, maybe GI issues. It doesn't matter, after I made it through that period, things began to get much, much better. Does what it is supposed to do: take away the anxiety. Amazingly. I am a different person. Only drawbacks are: decreased libido, weight gain, and a little bit of a subdued feeling. Not sure how to explain the subdued feeling, maybe that the highs aren't has high and the lows aren't nearly as low. Actually, the lows aren't a big deal at all, which is a good thing."

Ang Zi uh Tee (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 1, 2017