User Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Also known as: Lexapro

Escitalopram Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Escitalopram

Lexapro (escitalopram): "lexapro absolutely saved my life. after years and years of living in my own head, I am finally able to find happiness and fulfilment in my daily life. Lexaprol is a miracle worker!"

partiallysunny March 17, 2019

"I've been taking escitalopram for several years now. Whilst on it, I am stable and able to live a very happy life free of general anxiety disorder. Changing the dose or trying to come off this medication has proven very traumatic for me, so I feel I am on it long term. Side effects for me are reduced libido and a lot of tiredness. I have supplemented with pregablin in the past when I've really struggled and the two have worked well together. There are downsides to all medications but you need to decide if the trade off is worth it and find what works for you"

Emma (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 17, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): "So I've been taking lexapro for a week and I know I have to wait for a t least six weeks before the general effect really shows (which is fine) but I am very confused. I've been warned countless times that it will cause insomnia, but I've actually been sleeping TOO much on it? 10mg once a day in the morning and I am knocked out at 4:30 in the afternoon (which isn't ideal with a 3 year old and a husband recovering from surgery) and seem to have some sleep paralysis (no nightmares, I just cannot seem to move when woken up for dinner, but I can hear and see) which worries me if there is an emergency, I wont be able to respond. Apart from this, side effects are A LOT better than other anti depressants I've been on in the past and I am feeling good otherwise. It's too soon to expect this to be working, but I honestly haven't had any panic attacks or depressive thoughts since I started! Just some slight nausea the first couple of days and very foggy headed (like being drunk) but cheery! Lol."

Ashie (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I started suffering serious depression and anxiety a few years ago while trying to reintegrate myself into society, the work force and social circles following 12 years in prison. My doctor's tried me on multiple other SSRI meds to no avail. About 7 weeks ago I was started on Lexapro and after a few weeks of patience and perseverance through the fits of sweating, tiredness and sleepiness I feel like I am much much better. I have been able to let go of my prison mentality and actually feel like I do have a place in society. I am working, making new healthy friends and rebuilding family ties. I now understand that my drug use was tied in with my depression and anxiety more so than I ever thought. There is no doubt that you must be patient with Lexapro and may have to get through a couple weeks of uncomfortable side effects HOWEVER, Lexapro is far superior in my experience with treating serious anxiety and depression."

BW March 14, 2019

"E scitalopram didn't work and made my hair fall out. Trying Venlafaxine now."

Reese March 12, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Had major depression and anxiety for last few years started lexapro 5mg and went up to 10 mg in a week . Initially had nausea, profuse sweating, daytime sleepiness, twitching frequent urination and anxiety was out of control. First time noticed a change was two weeks felt 40% better. Then the side effects got the better of me I wanted to stop taking lexapro . My psychiatrist asked me to preserve . Now 10 weeks later the grey veil has lifted from eyes and feeling like life is worth living. I’m back to my old self again, I can drive, I can leave the house, I’m motivated and enjoying life again. I’m so happy with lexapro it’s been a life changer and I’m always so happy . Perserve it’s worth the effort ."

Marge60 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I got prescribed Lexapro for GAD (just been diagnosed). If it would be possible, I'd give this drug a negative rating. It made my anxiety and insomnia 10x worse. I started from a tiny dose - 5mg and I became overly stimulated and happy at first - it almost felt like cocaine and then I was unable to sleep and got extremely anxious to the point of experiencing mild psychosis. I knew those side effects might last for a while so I continued for almost two weeks, hoping it will get better but it made me completely wrecked - I couldn't sleep for longer than 4 hours, I started having severe panic attacks, I was hardly able to work. Now I take only 50mg trazodone for sleep and I take large doses of inositol (flat tablespoon) if I experience panic attacks and it works. Maybe this drug works for some people but for me it was the worst 2 weeks of my life."

Max (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2019

"I came down with severe panic attacks in December. I have never considered myself an anxious person. Hit me out of nowhere. Mine were almost back to back and the most terrible thing that has ever happened to me. This medicine saved me. It takes 4-6wks to see full results, but I felt better after a couple of days. I did have some side effects, but hard to say if it was lexapro or the Klonopin I was taking to temporarily get me by. I am now off the Klonopin and three months out and totally back to normal. So scary! Be patient and hang in there. It has been very good for my marriage also, didn’t realize my irritability was anxiety related!"

Grateful (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Without Lexapro, I am not able to sleep or tolerate interactions with people. With just 10mg of lexapro, I am able to have good sleep and quality relationships with my family and friends. Isn’t that the goal?"

Mk (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 1, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Thought I'd share in hopes of helping others. My son was in an accident. He is ok but suffered many broken bones and was hospitalized for 2 wks. The stress during that time left me anxious/depressed. Doc put me on Zoloft. I was having physical symptoms too and was diag. with colitis/gastritis. I had EVERY side effect- nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, brain fog, dizziness, loss of appetite, stomach pains, insomnia, disconnected. I attributed it to my stomach. I lost 20 lbs. Finally, when I noticed my heart beating hard, I called my doc. She put me on Lexapro. I began on 10 mg. The brain fog and dizziness went away. I still felt nauseous, but it wasn't as bad. My heart calmed, too (I did wake up once in a panic with my heart racing). I decided to stick it out a week. I am on day 11 now. I don't feel 100%, but better. I still have stomach issues- I'm sure partly it's gastritis. I don't feel as disconnected. I feel groggy in the am. I have been taking it at bed, but I might try it at dinner."

New to Lex February 27, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): "My new Dr. asked me to switch from Paxil to Lexapro since I have gained weight over the course of taking paxil. I have to say paxil was working perfect for me at 20mg. I was really nervous he asked me to switch. Worst thing I have ever done in regards to medicine....I have been weak, have stomach pain, diarrhea, dizzy and just not feeling normal. I am definitely going back to paxil."

Nat (taken for 10 years or more) February 25, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Have been on 3 days and have more energy and enthusiasm; things look "brighter." I'm sensitive to SSRI's, so started on 1.25 for two nights and then 2.5 last night. Think I' m feeling it already 'cos I took Prozac for years. I stopped it and lost 40 lbs. Dr. said this had fewer side effects, but he doesn't really have my trust, as he seems to think all my problems would be over if I'd ignore my agorabphobia and anxiety and go volunteer in a hospital, haha. Riiiiight. If this goes through, I'll post again after a week or two to say how I'm doing. (PS-To avoid horrible side effects, get liquid SSRI and take a dropper at a time, building slowly. Worked for me, on Prozac, long ago. Otherwise, kept quitting due to side effects.)"

NewToLex (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): "This is week 3 on lexapro & I truly am amazed and so glad I gave it a shot. For the past 2 years I’ve been struggling with non stop cycles of anxiety, from my health to my relationship, racing and intrusive thoughts with a bit of an obsessive tendency added. I eventually got to my breaking point and decided that it was time to do something. Therapy just wasn't doing enough for me and I didn’t want it to take over my life. I have to admit the first 2 weeks were rough, I didn’t have any major side effects but I was very very anxious and panicky I was so convinced this medicine wouldn’t work for me, I read just about every review on this site. I’m now on week 3 and just about 90% of my anxiety is gone just like that and it’s truly crazy that a pill can make this all better. I’ve never felt so positive and confident in myself in a very very long time. This pill works & if it doesn’t there’s always another option. But stick with it and give it time- at least for a month!!"

s22 February 12, 2019

"I experience anxiety (agoraphobia) and panic attacks. My anxiety manifests very physical; nausea, diarrhea, dry retching, dizziness, it was effecting my job and home life. I finally tried medication, I read the reviews and freaked out about the potential side effects it took me a week after buying it to even be brave enough to take it.The first two days I felt a little weird but I think it was more my strong psychological aversion to taking medication. The only side effect I really had is feeling tired so I switched to taking it in the evenings. Within a week I felt less anxious and stopped dry retching and feeling nauseous (anxiety symptoms not medication side effect) I also felt less anxious at work and was better able to cope with stress. I haven't had a panic attack since I've been on the medication. I've been taking it for two weeks, I did not up it to 10mg I stayed on 5mg as I've had good changes just on 5mg. I'm glad I was brave enough to try medication it has helped me."

Alex February 8, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I was prescribed Lexapro for GAD a few months ago and I'm so scared to take it because of all the bad reviews I have read on it. I also have high blood pressure and asthma, CAD, my anxiety and panic attacks are really bad. I have been also having bouts of depression. I was just wondering should I really be that worried about the side affects of this medication and does the benefits out weight the side effects.."

Kareem February 7, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I was prescribed Lexapro/Escitalopram for anxiety and depression. I began at 10 mg and over the course of a few weeks increased to 20 mg. At first, I noticed some jaw tightness/clenching, but nothing miserable or extreme. A few nights of insomnia. The only negative side effect now is sexual dysfunction. It's not a lack of desire, it is simply not being able to get from point A to point B, if you know what I mean. The upside to all of this is that it makes me feel better than I ever have in my life. It's like the clouds have parted, and I feel joy and peace. If someone cuts me off in traffic, instead of having to stop myself from feeling road rage, it just rolls off me. I don't feel an ounce of irritability or anger. My stress level is WAY down. I believe because my cortisol level went back down to normal, I actually have lost weight with Lexapro. It feels like a miracle. I feel much more emotionally stable now, and I'm so grateful."

Sunydys33 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 4, 2019

"I only been on couple weeks and still very anxiety and depression when I take it in morning"

Ann February 1, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Started Lexapro 3/2018 after brain surgery. Dr recommended for anxiety. 1st week was 5mg/ morning I felt sleepy, headaches & some nausea. 2nd week headaches & slight nausea but totally fine after week 2. This pill also helped to mask pains from my chronic Illness, chiari malformation. I was walking 2 &1/2 miles everyday, traveled with my family. The short tempered or had bad moods were gone. The biggest letdown was the weight gain! I kept telling the docs & they kept saying I shouldn't gain much more. I was on it for 6 months & gained 30lbs even while exercising & eating clean, DASH diet. Lexapro slows down the metabolism & increases appetite. I HAD to come off because of the weight gain. I stopped it 3 months ago have not lost not 1lb! Withdrawal symptoms were worse than going on the pill. Took a month a half to taper off 10mg. I felt zaps, jolts, irritability, and my chronic pains are totally back. I am struggling to lose this weight so bad. The weight is the factor for me coming off it."

Celly January 30, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I took anywhere from 10-30 mg of lexepro for ~7 years for GAD and I believe it helped me the whole time with social anxiety (I still had some remaining existential anxiety but it was manageable). I think it really can help some people! However I did have a bad experience when I weened off lexepro and tried to go back on it. Side-effects like crazy! Really thought I was losing it for a while and could not sleep so I was switched to Prozac and trazadone and it’s been a couple months now and everything is getting back to normal! Anyway just wanted to warn anyone who is trying to get back on lexepro to watch for side-effects because it may no longer agree with you, but keep trying other medications and you will find another that works :)"

Bestwishes (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 29, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I’m taking Lexapro for generalized anxiety/major depressive disorder because I was not functioning at 100% on my medication for bipolar disorder. I’ve been on 10mg for the past 10 weeks. It took about 4-6 weeks for me to feel the full benefits. I am now 99% anxiety free and the most happiest and balanced I’ve been in years. I have returned to being functional (able to leave the house, showering, exercising, working, able to care for myself, getting adequate rest). There first few weeks were tough because of side effects: serious nausea, feeling high strung/unable to sleep (a little manic that at first I got worried) but I hung in there and now I’m doing better than ever."

20min (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2019

"I never leave reviews but started doing so in order to offer some people help and much needed hope to those going through what I went through. It started with panic attacks 5 years ago which turned into anxiety which turned in to depression with anxiety. I tried Prozac, Sertraline and Citalopram. One didn't work at all while the other two gave me intolerable side effects so I came off them 1 week in. I was told by my GP that because citalopram hadn't worked for me it was unlikely Escitalopram would, as they are very similar. However after my first dose of Escitalopram I instantly felt better and went from strength to strength. It saved me. Life returned to normal, I lost 2 stone of weight which I gained from comfort eating and I had no side effects. I did however feel depressed and anxious still during my menstrual cycle. If you are in doubt about anti-depressants and believe they won't work for you take it from me...they do. You just have to find the right one."

kir89 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 23, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have had panic disorder for 24 years. It started in my early 20's. I tried a lot of medications ; which caused more panic attacks. I finally found tofranil , but have had major side effects . I finally decided to try something new and are very, very fearful I will go back to those horrible panic attacks. I am 54 now and just started lexapro 10 days ago . Reading comments from people taking the medication has really helped me!! I've been having hot flashes, dizziness and nausea . I am going to hang in there due to all the same experiences, saying side effects at the start but then later you get the great benefits !! It has eased my mind and made me continue the med - lexapro to reach the full benefits !!!"

Cat January 23, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I started taking this medication at only 5mg and the side effects were torture. I took this medication for 2-3 weeks and I had so many panic attacks, cold sweats, nausea and it made me cry a lot as the panic attacks were horrible."

Iris (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have been taking this medication for nine years. When I began taking it I was suffering from severe generalized anxiety disorder. Once the medication kicked in and I got the full benefits I found myself able to travel, I actually learned to fly an airplane, I found my anger and stress levels dropped dramatically. I did also note that I gained weight and my libido dropped a bit and my ejaculation was delayed. However none of the side effects was as troubling to me as the original generalized anxiety disorder. Now nine years later I find that the effects of the medication are somewhere reduced with regard to my ability to tolerate other people’s behavior, etc. My patience is somewhat shorter, however my anxiety levels remain mostly reduced and I am continuing to travel, to fly, and to live my life. I have noticed that among the generics the Mylan brand was the most effective. Unfortunately Mylan discontinued distributing this drug on December 28 of 2018."

Facetime4me (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 4, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I started Lexapro in August at 5mg and am now up to 10mg at bedtime. It helps me sleep, it helps control my anxiety, and I know longer have nearly as many depressive or hopeless thoughts as I did before. I’m not saying it’s perfect but it’s made a huge difference for me. I have not experienced weight gain, but I have noticed a strong increase in my appetite like never before! I don’t know if that is the drug itself or just an improvement in my well being that makes me want to eat again. Another thing it’s helped me with is chronic pain. Some of my pain has improved immensely, and my pain medications have seemed to work better since about week 3 on Lexapro. Overall I’m happy with my decision to try it out."

Carolyn (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 3, 2019