User Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder (Page 5)

Also known as: Lexapro

Escitalopram has an average rating of 8.1 out of 10 from a total of 635 ratings for the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder. 76% of those users who reviewed Escitalopram reported a positive effect, while 9% reported a negative effect.

Escitalopram Rating Summary

8.1/10 average rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Escitalopram

Lorie de August 22, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): “This medicine changed my life. I've suffered from social anxiety for 20 years and always afraid to ask for help, until one wedding anniversary with my husband at a restaurant was to much for me. I was uncomfortable and major anxiety just eating in a restaurant and I was tired of feeling like this. The next day I told my doctor I needed help, he gave me lexapro and my life has changed. I'm loving life again and nothing is holding me back. I'm so grateful I asked for help”

Anonymous October 20, 2010

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Lexapro has been incredible for me. I am a 37 year old man. It has now been 5 1/2 weeks on 10 mgs and I feel amazing. For the first three weeks it was not effective and I did have some side effects, loss of appetite, fatigue, no sex drive (although I could still perform), trouble sleeping and I would wake up with a very uneasy feeling, basically anxious. But at week four it all seemed to turn around. My sex drive came back, I started eating normally, I had more energy during the day. It is sometimes still hard to sleep at night, but not too bad. I am truly amazed at how I feel. I am a very successful person, have my own business, a beautiful family, but have always felt close to worthless inside, always feeling less than everyone else. ”

Marge60 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 6, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Had major depression and anxiety for last few years started lexapro 5mg and went up to 10 mg in a week . Initially had nausea, profuse sweating, daytime sleepiness, twitching frequent urination and anxiety was out of control. First time noticed a change was two weeks felt 40% better. Then the side effects got the better of me I wanted to stop taking lexapro . My psychiatrist asked me to preserve . Now 10 weeks later the grey veil has lifted from eyes and feeling like life is worth living. I’m back to my old self again, I can drive, I can leave the house, I’m motivated and enjoying life again. I’m so happy with lexapro it’s been a life changer and I’m always so happy . Perserve it’s worth the effort .”

toz October 19, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I have been on Lexapro for about 5 years now and it completely and utterly changed my life. I had very serious anxiety which caused my relationships problems, problems in my job and all over my life, I was erratic and an emotional rollercoaster, after 2 weeks on Lexapro I felt stable and always the happiest person in the room, my brain needs this to function correctly without a doubt. I look back and cant believe I was the person I once was.”

BethGro April 30, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I have been on Lexapeo for a few years. I LOVE IT! Without it, I get depressed and feel a constant sense of dread in the pit of my stomach, I have frequent panic attacks that feel like my heart is going to beat out of my chest, and I my mood swings? LEGENDARY. Lexapro saved me. I have been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and panick attacks. Those should be enough, but I also had cancer and a miscarriage. So the depression, which has always been a thing, became a major problem. After finally having a child, the mood swing, another something that was always a thing, became horrific. No one could stand me. I've been on Lexapro since about 2010, and I have never felt better. I don't just exist. I live now.”

Brittany E. October 29, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I have been on Lexapro for just about 3 years. I was first diagnosed with both depression and anxiety my sophomore year of high school, after I had missed weeks of school due to these conditions. After just the first week on Lexapro I felt better. Eventually, I had to have my dosage raised as I started to feel anxious/depressed again. I'm now a freshman in college, and couldn't be happier with what Lexapro has done for me. I'm actually studying to be a psychiatric nurse to help people like myself, with mental disorders.”

Tammie June 8, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I have suffered with anxiety, panic most of my young life. By age 45, panic was pretty much gone but anxiety continued and mild depression came on. I have also suffered with agoraphobia ALL my life. By 2009 I wanted MORE of a life. My dr. of 30 yrs in 2009 and he put me on Lexapro. (I have a fear of side effects hence the fact never took meds). I started at 2.5, then 5mg, then 10mg that gave me inner shakes and anxiety which can happen when you up the med, so I went back to 5mg. Weeks later I was making a reservation for a beach holiday I hadn't been to since I was 14, an hour and 1/2 away. I made it!!!! Have had a few sad things occur since last Dec.. and upped to 7.5. They want me to up it to 10 mgwhich I did 2 days ago. Hoping to continue and get to a dose where I can live again. I do recommend this med highly.”

Orangejuice · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 10, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): “It was the best thing I ever did for myself I haven’t looked back. The first week I felt sick & extremely anxious. I have GAD. But I pushed through and came out the other side. That heavy weight I carried around on my chest got lighter everyday and 3 months later it is honestly gone. I feel so good I am in the present moment, I enjoy things, my relationship is better then ever, no arguments anymore, no stressing over silly things. My OCD symptoms are minimal I can tell myself I don’t need to do it right now and I won’t where as before I would have insomnia. I am 21, at uni, living my best life now, I recommend lexapro it brought me back down to earth. My anxiety ruins all my relationships, starting arguments & my anxiety makes me angry, currently I am at peace, no stresses, I can sleep, no heart palpitations everyday, stable relationship & happy. I wish I started it sooner . I am enjoying getting to know this side of myself as I have only known my anxious self the last few years.”

Lizzy15 June 10, 2014

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I suffered (still do) from generalized anxiety disorder. About 4 months ago I finally had to do something. My anxiety got so bad that I couldn't do anything, and I didn't want to do anything! School didn't interest me, I never wanted to go out with my friends, and the symptoms were so bad that all I wanted to do was stay in bed. (dizziness, fatigue, muscle aches, panic attacks, and waking up out of nowhere during the night) I went to my doctor and he prescribed me 10mg of Lexapro. At first, I was scared to take it but I finally was like WHAT THE HECK?! This might help me. And it did. The first week or two I felt dizzy like I was swaying back and fourth, and the dry mouth was annoying but I got used to it. This medication makes me feel like a new person!”

Bess June 23, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I have been on lexapro for a year and it LITERALLY saved my life. I was experiencing panic attacks, had mild depression and social phobia. One year later and I have NONE of that! I think I will be on this medication for the rest of my life, I am 33 years old and WISH I had started this medication on my early 20's as my anxiety pulled me back in so many ways from living life. Now I am stable, I feel happy to hop out of bed, I am confident at work, no more social phobia and shaking and heart palpitations etc. I was so scared to take this medication when I first started, as I read many reviews that mention the bad side effects. Honestly, do not let the starting side effects discourage you. The side effects are not fun BUT it is also not fun having extreme anxiety and/or depression for the rest of your life. The side effects will go away! Obviously this is my experience everyone is different but my advise is to stick it out! It only changed my life for the better. I started on 5mg, two weeks later 10mg and now on 15mg.”

K · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 12, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I have GAD with intermittent bouts of depression and always struggle to manage daily stressors because of the excessive rumination. I’ve been on and off lexapro for 15 years. I’ve always known it helps but most recently I was able to fully realize the significance of its effect. I was on 5 mg steadily for the last 2 years, but too much stress triggered me and the rumination, tightening/swirling in chest started again. It was honestly agonizing. My doctor upped me to Lexapro 10mg and all my symptoms of rumination, tightening/swirling in chest dulled or were fully gone in 2 days. I really love this drug!”

Deb P June 11, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I have been dealing with anxiety and depression off and on most of my life. I have never previously asked for help because I thought it was a sign of weakness. Before I was waking up in tears, I was always angry, sure that everyone was judging me. It completely crippled me. I also was self-medicating with pot and with chocolate and my weight was ballooning. I finally asked for help and started on a generic lexapro 10 mg - 2 weeks ago and it is like a miracle. I'm sleeping well, not a tear shed, losing weight, have lost interest in both chocolate and pot. I feel content and happy yet I still feel like me. I wish I had asked for help a long time ago. Life is good!”

Changed my life! · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 9, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Before Lexapro I couldn't get out of bed. I was stuck in my room for 6 months straight. I didnt go anywhere. I had social anxiety. I never went to school. I cried all the time. Had anxiety with breathing problems. I was suicidal daily. NOW I'm a totally different person! I'm so happy. I never have a terrible day. Got a job, have friends, and thinking positive about my future. I now love myself. I don't obsess over pointless things now. I'm more awake and have energy. No more depression or anxiety. 20 mg right away, I love it. Its never disappointed me.”

Jordan87 August 18, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): “This was the most incredible pill. It entirely changed my life. I used to be so scared of failure and it used to effect my income and job performance. I used to have really bad anxiety and it used to effect my sleep pretty badly. The first month and a half were pretty brutal on Lexapro but after that it immediately began working. I no longer suffer from anxiety. I sleep extremely well. I can multi task now and I don't worry about things like I used to and my fear of failure is long gone. I was like you, reading this review, thinking that they must be fake. But I said what the hell and decided to book an appointment with my psychiatrist. My life has never been better since!”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 19, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): “My doctor prescribed me this medication for Generalized Anxiety Disorder as it was crippling and ruining my life. I was reluctant to try it because I've heard so many horror stories about the side effects but I figured I'd give it a shot. First week or so was a little rough. Lots of nausea and brain fog but I was determined to give it at least a month. Once my body adjusted my symptoms slowly started to disappear. Today I feel like a different person. I feel free from my obsessive worries and panic that had plagued me all my life. This truly is a wonder drug if you're lucky enough that it works for you!”

Dman · Taken for less than 1 month October 7, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Developed severe anxiety after hearing loss and tinnitus caused by noise exposure from an accident at work. After 2.5 years I finally habituated from my tinnitus but was still left with severe anxiety. Spent the whole time trying to recover from anxiety without having to take meds. Tried everything from improving my diet, sleep, relaxation techniques etc but at that point my anxiety was so bad I couldn't recover from it without help. So finally decided to take lexapri after the doctors kept pushing it on me. Started off on 5mg with no side effects for the first week then increased to 10 mg the week after. 10 days in and after 2.5 years in I finally starting to feel normal again. This drug has been a real life saver for me. I can finally relax my body again and get a good night's sleep.”

Life Saver · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 11, 2013

Lexapro (escitalopram): “LEXAPRO changed my life. I am so against medication and was scared to try anything but after 6 months of pure hell and not able to function I surrendered to Lexapro and am SO happy I did. The side effects were bad but by the help of my Dr. and this page I didn't give up. It took the 6 weeks to start feeling like a human again. The two things I would say to anyone starting is 1. Give it time, 2 months plus and 2. Pills are not miracles, you have to work on yourself and with a professional in addition but it's worth it. Stay Strong.”

Riela28 September 3, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): “This drug changed my life. I've always been "depressed" person if you will, problems from childhood, then life got hard when I moved country and my husband deployed. Almost within a week of taking lexapro I began to notice the difference. More stable, more optimistic, no longer crying over anything... Things that would give me major anxiety before no longer bother me as much, although the anxiety is not completely gone. Only very mild side effects of dry mouth and slight headaches, but boy is it worth it. I am, what must be "normal" to the rest of the world now. I'm very happy.”

Ally · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 21, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Lexapro changed my life. I used to feel overwhelmed by everything and could be thrown into a crying/screaming fit over very small issues. Within 3 days of taking Lexapro I felt better. I could handle situations and stress normally for the first time in years. I cycled off it after 1 year but found my symptoms returning and I've been back on it for a year now, 20mg/day. It really has been a life saver for me. Also it never caused me nausea like it does for some people so I'm thankful for that.”

Annieisfinenow · Taken for less than 1 month March 13, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I was suffering from major depression and anxiety disorder. I had adverse reactions to Zoloft and Trazodone so I was beginning to believe there was no hope. I could not function and the anxiety disorder caused high blood pressure, anorexia and absolute dysfunction of my life. I couldn't go for more than a few hours without xanax. Then my doctor put me on Lexapro. I began taking 5mg a day on 3/1/2017. After 11 days a miracle occurred, I woke up with a positive attitude for the 1st time in ages and each day has been even better. There is hope. Side effects for me was morning fatigue so will switch to taking at bedtime. My blood pressure was 107/66 today at my doctor appointment. I don't even need the xanax and I am hungry for once.”

Dontsweatthesmallstuff October 12, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): “This medication has literally given me my life back! I struggle with depression and anxiety and for those out there reading this and looking to find someone you can relate to. Let me tell you, you aren’t alone. I started this drug about 6 months ago and when I first started, I, like you, came to this site looking for reviews to help me get through it. Like other people on this board have mentioned it takes about 4 weeks to get used to it. I had to take it in conjuncture to Clonepan because it made my anxiety a lot worse at first and I was super paranoid about it and having panic attacks. Just breath. You will make it through and the other side is life as it should be! Stick with it it’s worth it !!”

G0128 August 21, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): “This medication has forever changed my life, it has possibly saved my marriage and relationship with my kids. I am a person who suffers from anxiety and severe mood swings. Before Lexapro I would snap at anything, little things would trigger anxiety attacks and that would lead to depression. My first week on Lexapro was not to bad I had some nausea, felt jittery at times, restlessness at night, and yawning uncontrollably. But I noticed right away and so did my husband that I was more at ease, happier, and was able to blow things off that would of made me blow up before. The pros out weighed the bad for me. So far I have been enjoying life more, laughing with my kids more often and not focusing so much on the little things.”

Aggie · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 12, 2020

“I have been on this drug escitalopram for 6 weeks and felt I should share my input for anyone who is considering taking this medication. I have always been against taking any pharma meds but this drug really helped my life. I have this feeling of optimism that I felt for the first time since I was a child. The first 10 days sucked, I had the feeling of nausea and a headache, but it wasn't debilitating & they went away. I started noticing my reactions and thoughts change for the better when I was faced with stressful issues. My PMS symptoms lessens drastically, I wasn’t full of rage anymore. I still socially drink on the medication and the only difference I feel is that I get intoxicated quicker. From my experience theses are my tidbits - Take at night if it makes u sleepy & give it time to work, it’s worth it. F/30/IL”

Rwaters123 · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 27, 2014

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I've been taking Lexapro for about 2 years now and it has been a life saver. I developed anxiety disorder that gave me a constant nauseous feeling and fast heart beat. My doctor gave me Lexapro and the first few weeks was a hard adjustment and after that I felt so much better. I got my life back on track.”

You · Taken for less than 1 month September 25, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I’ve been taking this medication for almost 3 weeks. I suffered from extremely bad anxiety and slight depression. My body would ache from the constant anxiety. This medication has help so much. I no longer have the extreme anxiety and body pains. I still have the thoughts that cause my anxiety but don’t feel the discomfort as much. I recommend this medication. There are some slight side effects but nothing extreme.”

Learn more about Generalized Anxiety Disorder