User Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder (Page 3)

Also known as: Lexapro

Escitalopram has an average rating of 8.1 out of 10 from a total of 635 ratings for the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder. 76% of those users who reviewed Escitalopram reported a positive effect, while 9% reported a negative effect.

Escitalopram Rating Summary

8.1/10 average rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Escitalopram

M · Taken for less than 1 month July 25, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I am a 20 year old female and recently my anxiety had gotten to the point where I was scared to leave my house. I had bad health anxiety so I couldn't go anywhere or drive my car without fear or a stroke or seizure. My doctor prescribed me Lexapro and I have only been on it for exactly a week, but I started seeing significant changes after day 3. This medication completely changed my life. I am now able to go and do things, workout, and drive wherever I please without my anxiety and OCD telling me I can't. The only side effect I have encountered is drowsiness, which is nice because I take it at night and am finally able to get a full nights rest without my thoughts keeping me up. I HIGHLY recommend this medication because it gave me my life back.”

Jennifer September 3, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I want to share my detailed experience so far with Lexapro because, let's be honest, anxiety is an awful beast. I started experiencing panic attacks recently. I kept thinking "I am not taking medicine." I can control this on my own. Well, in my case, that was wrong. I went to counselling and learned breathing techniques, which helped some but it did not prevent my panic in the middle of the night. After letting go of my pride, I decided to see the doctor about medicine. For about 8 days I experienced different side effects---nausea, insomnia, headaches (some bad), and still some anxiety. DO NOT QUIT THIS MEDICINE. Now, I am 2 weeks in on medicine. GUESS WHAT?! FEELING AWESOME. I am sleeping great now. My anxiety is 99% gone. I feel like my happy self again. I thankful for this medicine and how it is helping me.”

Spirit November 6, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I suddenly couldn't eat any food, and cut out everything from my diet. The pain and heartburn went away and I could breath after eating again, but it resulted in me having such a limited diet that I was only eating chips with fake cheese for all meals. I was also terrified of driving and dying from an allergic reaction. We discovered that I was only allergic to dairy, but after six months of not having gluten soy fish or any meats, I was absolutely terrified of everything. My doctor prescribed me Lexapro. My panic attacks instantly stopped, but after two weeks was when it really kicked in. Suddenly I could drive without having panic attacks, and could eat meat and fish. Now I've just eaten gluten and soy after a month on lexapro, and despite having nightmares and panic attacks at the mere thought of accidentally consuming even a crumb of gluten, I feel zero anxiety whatsoever and am perfectly fine. Lexapro gave me my life back from my phobia of food.”

Fluffybunny · Taken for less than 1 month April 22, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “This medication is like magic and has improved my life in so many ways (minus the sexual dysfunction). I used to have anxiety-inducing thoughts and ruminated, now all of those are gone. I feel calm for the first time in years, and I didn't experience terrible side effects except the inability to orgasm and a stomach ache the first week. My mood is stable and peaceful. I also feel that I can finally concentrate on work.”

Tess · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 25, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “After being off of Lexapro for about 3 yrs & trying natural remedies I met my breaking point. All areas of my life were suffering. I restarted 5mg the 1st week, then 10mg the next 2 1/2 wks. The side effects during those 1st 3wks were horrible. Nausea, extreme fatigue, dizziness, & no appetite. I knew I would go back to square one if I stopped. I increased my dose to 20mg as I done very well on it in the past. The side effects were still there but not bad. 1 1/2 wks on 20mg. I feel great. More energy, feeling social w/ family & friends. Before I hated being around people. I still have a little longer 2 feel normal but I'll continue this med. Regardless of the horror stories u've heard, remember everyone is different & your body will most likely respond differently. I know it's hard not 2 get discouraged & question whether it's working the 1st few weeks, but don't give up & DON'T stop taking it. Give your body the chance 2 get used 2 it. Trust me, u will be glad u did.”

Alan · Taken for less than 1 month May 13, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Was on lexapro for nearly 3 years and it really brought me back to life, was suffering from severe anxiety to where I couldn't function. I stopped 4 months ago and was doing really well until loads of bother at home and switching jobs left me riddled with anxiety again, so I'm back on lexapro. I'm 6 days in and the side affects are kicking my ass, huge anxiety, no sleep, heart pounding out of me chest and barely able to function, brief suicidal thoughts also, hoping this will pass, looking forward to getting my life back.”

Square May 16, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Lexapro is a lifesaver! I’ve always been an anxious person but didn’t see anxiety as a problem. Then at 39, after a minor health scare, I became crippled by anxiety. I lost weight, couldn’t eat, and could hardly mother my children. After a couple ER visits and many tests I had a clean bill of health and started lexapro. In just a couple weeks I was feeling great! I realized I actually had lots of anxiety prior to my health scare but thought it was normal. I’d wake up every morning hot, nauseated, lightheaded, and a racing heart. Sometimes I had to force myself out of bed because of a sense of dread I had no explanation for. I’m so happy I don’t have to live like that now. My only complaint is that it takes some extra effort to orgasm; that’s a small price to pay to enjoy life. If you’re scared like I was start at 2.5mg, if that feels okay up it 2.5mg each time. I’m so happy to have my life back. Don’t give up and don’t wait to treat yourself. Why suffer?”

Helinas · Taken for less than 1 month October 3, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I am on day 9 of Lexapro. I started it to deal with anxiety from insomnia and the main side effect has been waking up at the same time in the middle of the night. I have never taken any anti-anxiety medication. I am a very fit and healthy 54-old male but experienced insomnia for the last 3 months so decided to take Lexapro to help with anxiety. I know it is early to tell if sleeplessness in the middle of the night will resolve in a few weeks but this is so far the major side effect along with some hot flushes. I will update after 2-3 weeks of treatment.”

Mads · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 20, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “First antidepressant I ever took. Ruined my libido, caused suicidal thoughts. I had to go to the hospital because I wanted to commit suicide. I had nightmares every night about a trauma I experienced when I was 16. Horrible, and I always tell people to stop taking after they notice bad symptoms- I wish I did.”

Gin · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 1, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Lexapro has given me my life back! Before taking Lexapro I couldn't drive, felt like I had someone sitting on my chest, couldn't eat at restaurants...now I look back at those times and cant imagine living like that again!”

xx0011all April 23, 2014

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Lexapro has honestly saved my life. I have been dealing with Anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder my entire life and have tried multiple medications, nothing has worked, this is amazing. I would say before Lexapro my anxiety on a scale of 1-10 was a 10 EVERY SINGLE DAY. Now its at 0! Sometimes maybe a 1. It has given me my life back!”

Nepaflyguy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 2, 2014

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I have suffered from GAD for most if my life. In the last 10 years it had slowly gotten worse and side problems showed like health anxiety, physical symptoms like back pain, neck pain, lump in throat, etc. Worry had taken over my life....unfortunately I didn't notice it associate most of these things with GAD. But it had been effecting my family for sometime. Got to the point where my wife moved out and filed for divorce. I finally made the decision to try an SSSRI. I had tried in the past but had rare side effects from all I tried. I started Lexapro 5mg and within 5 days began to feel better. Then after a few weeks it was like waking up from a deep sleep. I had my life back! Been 8 months now and I feel fantastic! Thank God for Lexapro!”

s22 February 12, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “This is week 3 on lexapro & I truly am amazed and so glad I gave it a shot. For the past 2 years I’ve been struggling with non stop cycles of anxiety, from my health to my relationship, racing and intrusive thoughts with a bit of an obsessive tendency added. I eventually got to my breaking point and decided that it was time to do something. Therapy just wasn't doing enough for me and I didn’t want it to take over my life. I have to admit the first 2 weeks were rough, I didn’t have any major side effects but I was very very anxious and panicky I was so convinced this medicine wouldn’t work for me, I read just about every review on this site. I’m now on week 3 and just about 90% of my anxiety is gone just like that and it’s truly crazy that a pill can make this all better. I’ve never felt so positive and confident in myself in a very very long time. This pill works & if it doesn’t there’s always another option. But stick with it and give it time- at least for a month!!”

Anon · Taken for less than 1 month March 10, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “At the start of 2020 I was experiencing panic attacks starting at work. They would pass after a few minutes. I didn’t tell anyone until mid 2020 when the panic was debilitating. I pushed through till the end of 2020 and started my nursing placement. My anxiety and panic attacks are so bad now that I can’t drive, go to the shops alone or leave the house. If you knew me in real life you’d be shocked. I am the bubbly outgoing person at the party. I am now unemployed and starting Lexapro. ( I started Zoloft for 4 weeks in 2020 but it was awful) Fingers are crossed this new medication helps.”

Goodeday · Taken for less than 1 month September 16, 2013

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Started Lexapro 10 mg 11 days ago. At first the side effects were very obvious. 1st day dry mouth, dizzy, tired.2nd day, fuzzy feeling, dizzy, tired.Each day got better & Better. By day 5 I wasn't napping anymore. Before Lexapro, I was having serious sleep problems, probably half my depression problem. Well I am sleeping like the dead! Waking up feeling completely refreshed & awake! My anxiety is gone. No more crazy thoughts and negative self talk! Feeling happy for the first time in a year. Try not to read all the negative reviews. Remember a lot of people have other things going on mentally, physically, etc. Some people also combine other medicines with Lexapro. I'm only on Lexapro. So far the only thing is that I can't orgasm. Hoping that goes away.”

Youarestrongerthanyouknow · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 8, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Hi! I just wanted to share my experience for those who are out there scared to death to take something that may help them, something your brain may need. Long story short, I was diagnosed with GAD/Panic seven years ago at the age of 19 when my brother was diagnosed with a severe psychiatric mental illness - one that changed his life as well as my families. I began having full blown nocturnal panic attacks, depersonalization, along with extreme anxiety/panic. I tried CBT, changing my diet, doing meditation/yoga, journaling, deep breathing, etc. Nothing worked & nothing helped me overcome this except Lexapro. I am currently a RN and believe my brain needs this medication. Please don't be scared or ashamed if you need to take something to help.”

TDee May 21, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “All I can say is WOW! I never write reviews on anything, but this Lexapro drug well and truly deserves a review! This has been my third medication I’ve been on in the last 4 years for GAD which I recently came off my previous medication which I was on for four months as it wasn't doing anything and then once I started mirtazapine I felt better in the space of 2 days within taking it My physical symptoms of anxiety like nausea, rapid heart rate have completely gone. I was waking up everyday with anxiety - completely gone! I’ve been on lexapro for only a week or maybe less... and I can’t wait to see what I’m going to be like in a month or two down the track... I was at my wits end with this horrible rut I’ve been in for 6 months, and within the space of two days I’m myself again. I honestly can’t comprehend it. Hands down the best medication out there for anxiety and depression. Thank you so much lexapro”

Ally September 25, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Back in May, I was having a pretty bad bout of anxiety. I was getting very little sleep. I had no appetite and my stomach always felt like it was in a knot. I had no desire to go out and socialize. After dealing with on and off anxiety/panic attacks for a decade, I decided I had enough. I started on 5mg Lexapro at the end of May. My doctor said it would take 4-6 weeks to fully work. By around week 4 I felt doubtful. I went on vacation and still had random nervousness. But I noticed small changes. In addition to GAD/panic disorder, I also had social anxiety. I never quite knew the extent of it until I started feeling Lexapro's full effects. I began to find it easy to make conversation with strangers. I found myself becoming more social. I'm less afraid to say what comes to my mind. I haven't felt the emotion of embarrassment in months now, which is something I'd struggle with. Lexapro has changed my life. I can truly say that I've become a better version of myself.”

angie8686 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 30, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I was terrified of taking lexapro after having horrible side effects with every single antidepressant known in the market. I am a 52 year old female and after reading all the negative reviews I quit taking it for a period of 2 weeks. I finally decided I was so miserable I would try it again and 3 monthes later I am doing great! No more fear of leaving house, negative self talk, constant anxiety and worry! I may have gained 1-2 pounds but if you take it you will be more likely to go out for walks, gym and get moving again which I have. Please dont let the negative reviews influence if the med will work for you or not. Im obsessive about weight gain and I am not gaining! Im really liking my new calm self, give it 6 weeks, big difference!”

Lousarah · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 1, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Have tried sertraline, paroxetine and mirtazapine for GAD/panic attacks and have to say Escitalopram is best, very effective with the least amount and least severe side effects! Did not cause sexual side effects! Feel calm but not sedated and still feel in touch with my emotions. Would highly recommend for anxiety! Greatly enhanced my life and would not be without”

GiveItAChance · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 20, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I had great luck with this medication for many years and then got off of it when I got pregnant. About 6 weeks postpartum I became very depressed and my anxiety spiked. My doctor put me on Zoloft and after giving it 8 weeks and only feeling worse and worse my doctor switched me to Lexapro. I started at 10mg for 3 weeks, experienced a little diarrhea but nothing too awful. However, it wasn’t taking away my anxiety issues. By that point I had become agoraphobic, couldn’t drive, had to take some time off work. Doctor upped me to 20mg and 2 weeks later I started driving again, working out again, feeling like a normal human being. I read through the positive reviews on this page over and over to get me through. Please, please give the medication 4-8 weeks to feel the full benefits. And only read positive reviews. You’ll make it through this and know you are not alone!”

Positivist · Taken for less than 1 month November 27, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Hi guys, As others I wanted to share my experience. I've been on this lexapro for more then 4 years in the past. Then last spring when I've been noticing I sometimes forgot my 5 mg dose I tapered down on the medicine. In the summer no real issues, but the winter came in hard and 1 bad trigger had me right back on the anxious side. I re-started to take 10 mg for 2 weeks and now 1 week at 15mg. First weeks I suffered increased anxiety, panic attacks and didn't see any hope. And then BAM, it starts working. I'm still not at the full benefits but I feel it kicked in. Now I'm back to having interest in stuff, people etc. So I have 3 major advices.1. Please give the medicine time, it might be rough but when it starts working you gonna have the real benefits. 2. It's not a shame to take a little pill. People with high blood sugar levels do it too. 3. Don't see this medication as the only solution... See therapists , do some cardio, mindfullness. I pray for all you guys!”

Anonymous December 22, 2013

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I had Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder with intrusive thoughts. This came out of nowhere and I ended up having to take time off work. One week of sitting on the sofa crying my eyes out and having repeated panic attacks and thinking I was going crazy I then saw my doc. She referred me to a psychologist and put me on Lexapro 5mg for 4 days and then up to 10mg. She also gave me Valium to use sparingly initially till my anxiety dropped. No change week 1 except day 1 where I felt a feeling of euphoria. Week 2 had increase in anxiety even a panic attack. End of week 3 and I'm back to my old self. No more anxiety or intrusive thoughts. I am doing all the things I use to do. I feel normal again. Lexapro and seeing a psychologist has done wonders. Super happy.”

Jdow70 April 14, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I've suffered with generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder for 28 years. I was terrified of taking medicine for fear of feeling out of control of myself. The first week of starting lexapro was very difficult for me. My anxiety seemed to worsen a bit during the first week but on day 10 my life began to change forever, I began to feel normal and get back my old self. I've been on 20 mg for 7 months and it has changed my life. I can do things that were difficult for me without worrying excessively and don't feel that panic feeling anymore. I'm very happy and my family is too. I don't feel the limitations that my anxiety had imposed on me most of my life. I feel free to live again. I highly recommend trying this even if you're scared to death like I was. Now I just feel normal.”

Anonymous99 November 24, 2013

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I suffered from anxiety, obsessive thoughts due to anxiety, and depression as a result. I had thoughts in my head that I tried to suppress and the thoughts just came back stronger. I thought that I was completely helpless and began to have suicidal thoughts. I started on Zoloft (first on 25mg then 50mg) and it helped with my depression and anxiety, except it made me really sleepy. My doctor suggested Lexapro at 10mg and I have been on it for about 5 weeks now. My condition has improved tremendously! I am happier and my thoughts aren't overpowering my life. I started CBT and that has helped as well. DO NOT GIVE UP. Things will get better, I promise. I thought the medicine wouldn't work for me, but it does.”

Learn more about Generalized Anxiety Disorder