User Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder (Page 2)

Also known as: Lexapro

Escitalopram has an average rating of 8.1 out of 10 from a total of 635 ratings for the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder. 76% of those users who reviewed Escitalopram reported a positive effect, while 9% reported a negative effect.

Escitalopram Rating Summary

8.1/10 average rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Escitalopram

Cloverdale124 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 12, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Been on 10mg for 6 weeks. I am a mom and a wife, I have close friendships with girlfriends, workout 5 days a week, and a genuinely happy person. But I have always felt stressed and anxious. I would go days without sleeping (more than 2-3 hours). I was afraid to start lexapro because I thought it would change me, but I just got to a point where I couldn’t take it anymore- the anxiety and sleep deprivation was getting worse and worse. I started with 5mg for 5 days and then moved up to 10mg. The first week was pretty bad. I was exhausted, nauseous, and very lethargic. But each week got better! I haven’t taken a Xanax in 4+ weeks, I sleep 8 hours every night. When I do have stressful situations I am able to deal with them in a productive way, without going down this spiral path of anxiety and helplessness. I feel like myself but just better. I can deal with problems, I am calm, I can put things in perspective. It has helped so much.”

mogy · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 6, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Condition GAD/Depression MEDS Lexapro 20mg / Lorazepam 3mg Klonopin 1mg I have had GAD most if my life. Only did a little good on prozac 10mg but moved to Japan where it is not approved. It took a couple of months to get to 10mgs and about a year to get on 20mg. After being able to tolerate 20mg everything became much better. Don't need the benzos as much and the only side effect is I feel a little spaced out. I think you have to be patient with this med and give it plenty of time to change your brain before it starts to really work. Compared to the various other meds. Lexapro had the least start-up side effects and they all went away pretty soon. I truly believe that this medication is one of the best options but go slow. 5 to 10 to 15 to 20. After being on 10 for awhile going up isn't that bad. Good luck and always reach out to someone when it feels like you can't handle it.”

tbrx8369 October 29, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I have struggled with anxiety for my whole life but in the past 5 years it has gotten uncontrollable & I was crying every single day. I didn’t feel like me & felt so lost. I am 22 & in nursing school so there is a lot of pressure but this has been something I’ve wanted & knew I could achieve, but couldn’t do it with my anxiety. I was VERY skeptical about taking anything & have tried every alternative I could think of but I just couldn’t quite get there. I have been taking Lexapro 10 mg for over a month now & it has made my life 100x better. I haven’t cried once or felt extremely overwhelmed the entire time. The only side effects I experienced were sweating, dry mouth, & a slight headache. These have all subsided after the first week. This drug has made me feel like me again & I didn’t know if I would get here but I’m so glad I am. Don’t let the reviews scare you into not trying a medicine, it can help you if you let it. Give it time & push through. It’s so worth it.”

A · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 26, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I hope this helps people who feel scared. A few months ago my anxiety got very bad, I couldn't enjoy life: worrying about travelling, weeks of insomnia, physical symptoms before starting the pills: nausea, irritability, sugar cravings, twitching, high sensitivity to sounds or sudden moves. I read the reviews here - terrifying. I started five weeks ago. 5mg - felt a bit sick. Scared for the first two days, a bit agitated - nothing serious. The pills can't hurt you. Most people tolerate them pretty well. The first days I felt extremely tired, but it didn't last. Things started looking up after a week. I increased to 10mg - after 3 weeks that made a difference - 90% better. CBT also helped a lot. I'm responding to anxiety very differently now. Meds are working. I watch my favorite shows again, read, travel, walk. Amazing - happy. I'm back to my old self - fun and engaging. ”

Wow · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 25, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Lexapro has literally changed my life from the first 24 hours I started taking it. For the first time in my life, I understand what it’s like to have a quiet/calm mind, rather than coming from a place of anxiety. I’ve suffered from anxiety/depression/ptsd for years and just thought it was a normal way of living. Turns out, all I needed was Lexapro and all my other medical problems have drastically reduced! My IBS is completely gone, and I’m back to living a normal life! I seriously can’t express how grateful I am for this medication.”

SugoiApples · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 21, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Lexapro was the first meds I took to help with my anxiety and panic attacks and worked great. I did get side effects for only the first week, I had nausea and headaches, the side effects were tolerable though. Little by little I felt like I was able to get my life back. The only side effect that made me want to stop was a decrease in my sex drive. If it weren't for that it would be a 10/10 for me.”

FeelingBetter · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 4, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I have been taking 20 mg of Lexapro for almost a year and it has made an incredible difference in my life. I had suffered my entire life with anxiety and never really knew what it felt like to have a normal level of anxiety. The anxiety honestly almost killed me. I have lived more in the last year than the rest of my 48 years. Every day is a gift now and I am incredibly grateful. I hate to see so many people who quit after a few days or weeks of hard times which is what it’s like at first. Those ratings are unfair since they didn’t give it a proper chance. I hope YOU will and that you end up eternally grateful like me!!!”

MA · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 6, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Ok so I don’t ever do reviews. Like ever. But this medication has changed my life. I’ve been on it about 5 months now and I’m honestly amazed. I’ve suffered from extremely bad depression, anxiety, and ADHD. I’m also a recovering alcoholic/addict with 8 months sober. I went from being literally at rock bottom to all of a sudden living life again. For the first time in years, my body didn’t ache all day long, my anxiety went away, and I started to like sing in the car and get excited about nice sunny days! It’s crazy. I’m just super thankful. I take 10mg along with Wellbutrin and adderall. But Lexapro has been the game changer. Let your body go through a little nightmare for the first couple weeks. I promise you will all of a sudden hit a hump that you get over and it’s so nice. Don’t get me wrong, I still have my moments and struggles I’m life but I can deal with them now instead of breaking down. And I like people again. Give it a try.”

Kc · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 15, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Lexapro truly has changed my life. I honestly didn’t even realize how much my anxiety had taken over my life until it wasn’t there anymore. I feel like I am alive again instead of just going through the motions!”

TO · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 7, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Life and work progressively got worse over the last 18 months, withdrawn, moody, insomnia, short with family, lack of concentration, anxiety and suicidal thoughts and plans. Had major panic attack ended up in hospital the symptoms similar to heart attack, even had a angiogram. Started cocktail of meds and ended with 10mg of Lexapro and now on 20mg. It has really settled me however still struggle to complete tasks and off work. Counselling also assisting. I have a review this week but diarrhea, insomnia slight nausea have continued. If can fix the diarrhea be very happy. I take meds in the am”

Madi · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 27, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “This medicine has been life altering. I have been taking it for over 3 years and cannot imagine where I would be without it. I experience no negative side effects with this medication and am able to conduct a normal life. I used to stay up for hours before bed with my mind racing and vomit from social apprehension. I have only had 2-3 anxiety attacks since I began the medication and while I still experience anxiety and nerves it is a healthy amount. I am so happy to have found a drug that allows me to conduct a normal life and still feel like myself!”

FW u December 10, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “After years of anxiety I finally went to the doctor in 2016 and started lexapro at 10mg..after 2 years I moved up to 20mg along with therapy which almost seemed to take away anxiety completely. After 3 years I stopped taking lexapro, because I felt so good. The first month off this medication I felt AMAZING. Then it all went down hill after month 2...My anxiety skyrocketed & I began feeling depressed. Then I tried Zoloft, which made it even worse. It gave me the shakes, caused daily panic attacks & suicidal ideations for the first time in my life (which I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy). Also I lost much of the weight lexapro caused. Fast forward..I am back on 20mg of Lexapro. I feel human again. I feel stable but I am gaining weight back (which sucks) and I feel fatigued again. BUT I feel like I can function normally. Even with the effects, lexapro is worth it for me. If you’re reading this, please don’t give up! Things can get better :) Its a trial and error.”

Aw · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 12, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I promised myself if i made it out alive I’d come back and give my review, I’ve been on the meds a little over 2 months and the outcome has been very well for me! First couple of weeks are ruff but stick it out it’ll be well worth it!”

Johnsont44 September 21, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Last week, I was doing the same thing you are probably doing. Scouring the internet for any reviews on Lexapro that tell me when it is going to start working. I needed any kind of reassurance that the side effects would be worth it. I was so anxious that I couldn't sleep, couldn't stop crying or obsessing over the symptoms of my anxiety, and was struggling to function with a 3 month old baby at home and just going back to a stressful job. It is day 12 on Lexapro, and I feel normal. I have slept the last 3 nights without Ambien, and I am calm. I feel genuinely happy for the first time in a month. I am feeling super encouraged and hopeful. I just wanted to share my experience and give you the reassurance you are probably looking for.”

Coppernob · Taken for less than 1 month December 31, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “So after 9 months of bullying/harassment at work from 3 different bosses, I was at breaking point. I was even having massive anxiety attacks at people taking too long in the self checkout at the supermarket. So went to the GP who prescribed Zoloft 50mg, tried for a week horrendous, threw them in the bin. Went to another GP who prescribed Lexapro 10mg, along with Zopiclone 7.5mg for sleep. As he said Lexapro will take a week or 2 to acclimatise. Started Sunday morning-felt weird after a few hours-dizzy-peripheral hallucinations-slept like a log. Monday morning-same deal, almost whited out at the supermarket-slept good. Tuesday morning-feel good, little dizzy, energetic in the arvo. But the dizziness has gone. Had kind of a dry mouth all 3 days, but just kept the liquids up. Lexapro seems heaps more tolerable than Zoloft, not even a hint of anxiety the last 2 days. Hope this keeps up, good luck to everyone on the same journey X”

Kel May 6, 2021

“I've always had anxiety & recently it got out of control. I had daily panic attacks, was in bed for weeks feeling nauseous, dizzy & full of nonstop anxiety. I tried everything, even checked into the E.R. I changed my diet, exercised, mediated, journaled. Nothing worked til my doctor prescribed me 10mg of escitalopram. The first week, had every side effect. Nausea, heightened anxiety, headaches, dizziness, hot flashes, tiredness, diarrhea & all subsided by week 2. I started to feel really good til week 3, my anxiety started to come back so my doctor told me to take 15mg. That was the magic number! I’m into my 7th week now and I feel great! No more severe anxiety or panic attacks. Reading the good reviews kept me going. This medicine has been a godsend for me. Give it at least 4-6 weeks to start working. You also need to be proactive & don’t solely depend on the pill. Get out & take walks in nature & sunshine. You got this, hang in there! It gets better!”

Curlz · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 21, 2014

Lexapro (escitalopram): “First and foremost, like so many others on here--Lexapro saved my life. I was not necessarily suicidal, but litterally, had no life and was scared all the time. For the most part no one knew what I was dealing with, I was a highly respected professional who somehow managed to keep it to herself. I would sneak off to bathrooms all the time to go in a stall and calm down, if no one was in there, I would indulge on laying on the cold tile floor to just try and cool myself off. I stopped going to movies, on dates, church, anything where I felt trapped. I was not afraid of flying, I was afraid of when the time between take off and when the captain turned off the seat belt sign. This medicine gave ME back, 5 years strong. ”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 1, 2012

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Lexapro has changed my life and the lives of my family. I struggled with tremors, nausea, dizziness, chest pains, numbness and tingling in my hands and feet, and muscle twitching. I thought I was dying. After a million medical tests that were all normal, my doctor diagnosed me with anxiety. I did not believe him. I was started on Lexapro, and felt better in a matter of weeks. I cannot adequately express my joy and relief. I do not wish to fall into my bed all day anymore. I am able to enjoy my amazing husband and children again. I am posting to give hope to anyone who is experiencing anything like I was. Anxiety caused me awful physical symptoms that lasted all day for months. There is light at the end of the tunnel.”

Stormydays · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 11, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I’ve had anxiety & mild depression my whole adult life. In my mid thirties finally decided I needed help dealing with my anxiety. Tried many meds and had way too many side effects, finally tried this & was glad I did! This one by far had least side effects & made my anxiety & depression so much manageable! We tried 5 mg to start then increased 10 mg and had go back to 5 mg. I still had some mild anxiety but was able to work through it. Fast forward few years ago was weaned off & now anxiety is back Dr put me on Buspirone after going urgent with a panic attack, & gave me few clonazapam to get me thru few days. Buspirone seemed to help first few weeks 7.5 bid & prn dose. On week four stopped helping and the anxiety back & I had stomach issues & mild dizziness side effects. Going back to Dr. in few days & going request Lexapro as it helped before with lowest side effects of all I’ve tried & was effective with controlling my anxiety & depression.”

London lady · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 5, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Been on 10 mg Lexaprofor 8 months and overall it’s been an excellent medication. The first two weeks were tough - I don’t think one is warned sufficiently by the medics that you’re likely going to feel worse than before you started - but gradually I started to see the benefits kick in. No longer sweating the small stuff or waking up with a feeling of dread. The only thing that stops me giving this full marks is the reduction in libido and the feeling of slightly ‘can’t be bothered’ but the upside of no longer having nightmares or being filled with dread every morning is hugely appreciated.”

James · Taken for less than 1 month March 2, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Randomly began suffering panic attacks. 33, male, healthy. Tried every non prescription/natural medication on the market - nothing worked. After 3 months of suffering went and spoke to GP. Prescribed with Lexapro 10mg and Diazepam 2mg for the side effects. Four days on Lexapro 5mg and my mindset did a complete 180. No more panic attacks. No more anxiety. I stayed on 5mg for two weeks with great results. Now on 7.5mg but think I might drop back to 5. Some libido side effects but other than that Lexapro has been a miracle. Didn't even need the Diazepam after all. Been on Lexapro for three weeks now and haven't felt better in years.”

Taylor · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 23, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I was on paxil for 5 years before switching to lexapro due to unwanted to side-effects (loss of sex drive, anhedonia, night sweats and hand tremors). Lexapro has proven to be just as effective as the paxil in controlling my anxiety/panic-disorder, with nearly none of the side-effects that paxil caused!”

Pam · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 29, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I have been medications for anxiety since 18. I am now 64. Effexor was the best, but severe side effects when I had to stop taking it, weaned off over 6 weeks, thought I was going crazy. Had to stop taking it because of no insurance. Too expensive. But now I started taking Lexapro since January this year (now 8 months, and I got to say it has helped me so much with my anxiety. Affordable, only side effect is my vision is more blurred. No weight gain, no insomnia, no feeling weird. It has allowed me to deal with the issues that cause my anxiety (my job) while not feeling the physical symptoms of the anxiety. I hope this continues to work for a very long time. It took a couple of weeks to level off in my system.”

Happy September 18, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “For ten years I struggled with GAD and panic attacks. I refused to take SSRI and tried natural products. Nothing really worked on a permanent basis. It made me feel discouraged and at the end of my rope. Finally I agreed to take Lexapro. 6 WEEKS later, I was back to my old self. I had not travelled for 8 years. One evening without telling my wife or son, I purchased plane tickets and a cruise for the family. I actually WANTED to go ! Everything changed. Now, it is not 100% perfect but pretty close. I have to watch how long I sleep (need to rest well) and what I eat and exercise a little bit. Side effects were minor and did not last. Didn't lose my libido either. I am grateful for this medication and will not want to stop it anytime soon if all of this continues the way it is. So...if you are in the same situation as me...and you have tried the natural way and it didn't work, maybe give this a try. Good luck.”

collegegirl1542 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 19, 2014

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Before Lexapro, my anxiety would take over my life. I would worry too much about little things and had trouble remaining calm in social situations. I had trouble sleeping and would feel sick to my stomach from all the anxiety I would get. Lexapro helped all of these symptoms for me! I am only 21 years old but I feel like it changed my whole outlook on life, and I can handle it much easier now. Little things don't get to me, and I tend to live for the moment instead of worrying about tomorrow. I feel like myself again and that I am in control, and my thoughts no longer control me. I recommend this for anxiety, or anxiety that can lead to depression. It took about a month to completely work for me, so be paitent!”

Learn more about Generalized Anxiety Disorder