User Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder (Page 4)

Also known as: Lexapro

Escitalopram has an average rating of 8.1 out of 10 from a total of 635 ratings for the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder. 76% of those users who reviewed Escitalopram reported a positive effect, while 9% reported a negative effect.

Escitalopram Rating Summary

8.1/10 average rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Escitalopram

Dobbs January 15, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder. Was afraid of being alone, had insomnia, body aches, nervous stomach. I was only treating it with Xanax prescribed by my PCP. My psychiatrist switched me from Xanax to 3mg klonopin. Then he started me on Lexapro 10mg, which I took for 5 weeks. The first couple weeks on 10mg made me feel increased anxiety, but did help me to sleep at night. It did not really help with general fear or anxiety so my psych increased to 20mg on week 5. This was helpful to a point but I still felt anxious every day, albeit less intense than before. After another 2 weeks with limited results, psychiatrist upped me to 30mg/day on Week 8. He says some people just require higher doses to get the same effect. I've been on 30 mg for a week (9 total weeks into Lexapro) and starting to feel MUCH better, like my old self. Stick in there, your doctor may have to increase your dosage to achieve the desired results. I am now weaning off the klonopin which makes me tired .”

Qungees · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 19, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I just hit my sixth week on 10 mg of Lexapro and I finally feel like myself again, but without the crippling weight of constant anxiety and panic. I had a rough time adjusting to the medication for the first few weeks as it was my first experience with an SSRI, but this past week I’ve felt at complete ease and peace in a way I haven’t felt in years. I’ve been sleeping through the night, eating well, socializing, and enjoying life again. I was skeptical at first, but I’m so glad I stuck with it because the effect is incredible! Seriously a life changing medication.”

ZenBen · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 13, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “After suffering for several years due to Anxiety Disorder, Panic Disorder and some OCD I decided to try an SSRI. First, I tried another older drug (Amitriptyline), which helped a lot, but the side-effects were too intense, so my doctor switched me to Lexapro. I did not have severe side-effects when I switched, but there were several that were annoying: Eyes don't adjust to light as well (reading in a dark room is harder and looking at fluorescent light is a bit painful), lower libido, weight-gain, drowsy for a few hours after taking the pill. After using this drug for about 5 months, light sensitivity has improved (but not gone away) and I don't get drowsy anymore. But, I still have somewhat lower libido and I put on about 10kg (23 lb) in that time. My dose is 10mg every morning.”

BE2015 April 13, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I suffered from anxiety with significant episodes of depression since I was 19 (I'm 26 now). My anxiety manifested itself as hypochondria mostly. I constantly thought I had cancer, MS, or some other debilitating disease. I feared my loved ones would die or get sick as well. The worry would consume my thoughts and I would spend hours online researching these illnesses, convinced I had something. Started taking Lexapro 20 MG and I've never looked back. My hypochondria is completely gone. "Sad" moods are no longer full-blown depressive episodes. My life seems so much lighter and more manageable. There's no shame in taking medicine if you need it. I only wish I had started it sooner.”

Rv87 · Taken for less than 1 month June 11, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I thought I would pay forward because the reviews on here kept me going during the first week of absolute torture it was to take this medication. I have a panic disorder and the first week it was absolutely the worse it has ever been. I chose to tough it out because of what I read. I am now on day 10 and feel good ! No panic, manageable anxiety. I feel normal for the first time in a long time.”

Karolek September 13, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Hello beautiful people. I have been prescribed Escitalopram 10mg by my GP. I started of with 10mg. I suffer from PTSD, extreme anxiety, brain fog, lack of concentration, memory loss, low self esteem and on... First 0-18 hours after taking it I felt very awake, my pupils changed like I had sniffed a line of cocaine. It gave me huge energy boost. Then it turned to abdominal discomfort but nothing bad. Whole body felt weird and very uncomfortable with dizziness and shaking. Hours 18-24 I started to feel better . I took lemsip max to help with the discomfort a little bit and it got better. Still couldn't sleep and was very awake but yawned at the same time. Only slept 4 hours in the first day yet energized and very irritated. The symptoms eased after the first day but continued to be mild until day 5. It is totally worth it in the long run. Anxiety is a lot worse than a few days of lexapro side effects. If you suffer don't think twice. Take it and you will get better 2-4 weeks.”

cbal14 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 11, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “This medication Lexapro was a horrible experience for me. I had auditory hallucinations and extreme paranoia. Not a fun time. Doctors kept saying they’d never heard of those side effects. So, to anyone experiencing anything like that, you’re not alone.”

snjhytrwjxkakf · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 31, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I was suffering with panic disorder with agoraphobia for 10 years. It started off pretty innocuous, a few trips to the ER, calling out of work... As my symptoms got worse I became more and more housebound. Going ANYWHERE, even a trip to the supermarket was miserable.I couldnt take my kids to the park.I had to quit my job because of the distance and panic attacks. I loved to travel but I could no longer get on a plane, forget getting to the airport. I literally tried everything. Finally I cracked. my doc prescribed me lexapro. I was so scared but so desperate. It has completely given me my life back. Slowly, surely, persistently I began to drive again. 2 years later I am me again. Fight through the side effects. Don't waste your life.”

iHeartGlitter · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 12, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I've been on varying doses of Lexapro for about 3 or 4 years now. It was the first SSRI/any type of psychiatric med I tried. Luckily the first time was the charm. Except for a rough ~2 week start where I felt tired and nauseous, it's been amazing for my anxiety and rumination-prone mind. I went from sitting in the dark in my closet crying uncontrollably, sensitive to every perceived threat or comment, to being able to brush most things off easily. I also no longer replay every interaction in my mind thinking I my have offended someone. 10 mg Lexapro has been my "core" dose -- sometimes up to 20 mg. I'm about to go up to 15 mg due to increased anxiety and agoraphobia. Vyvanse (stimulant) is my other workhorse med. It's definitely more difficult to orgasm -- although I know my body well enough to remedy this when it's just me. I haven't had any issues with weight gain, either. Give it a try -- seems to be the least fussy anxiety/depression stabilizer out there!”

funsize April 3, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “For the past year or so, my anxiety has been at an all time high. I couldn't sleep at night. I couldn't eat a full meal. I felt lost and hopeless. A few weeks into my new job, I went to a new physician's assistant. She prescribed 10 mg of Lexapro daily for anxiety, and 50 mg of hydroxyzine as needed for anxiety and insomnia. She also suggested I look into therapy. The two days of Lexapro was a nightmare. I was foggy, dizzy, nauseous, and not able to stay awake for more than a few hours. I went onto this website and read testimonials that inspired me to keep going. Now that I am 4 weeks in, I am so happy I decided to stay on Lexapro. I am able to tackle stressors more effectively. I feel more content and happy in my everyday interactions, and am leaning more into my support system of close friends and family. My appetite is normal and food actually tastes good again. I am looking into counselling/therapy options. I feel hopeful for the first time in a long time.”

Sunydys33 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 4, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I was prescribed Lexapro/Escitalopram for anxiety and depression. I began at 10 mg and over the course of a few weeks increased to 20 mg. At first, I noticed some jaw tightness/clenching, but nothing miserable or extreme. A few nights of insomnia. The only negative side effect now is sexual dysfunction. It's not a lack of desire, it is simply not being able to get from point A to point B, if you know what I mean. The upside to all of this is that it makes me feel better than I ever have in my life. It's like the clouds have parted, and I feel joy and peace. If someone cuts me off in traffic, instead of having to stop myself from feeling road rage, it just rolls off me. I don't feel an ounce of irritability or anger. My stress level is WAY down. I believe because my cortisol level went back down to normal, I actually have lost weight with Lexapro. It feels like a miracle. I feel much more emotionally stable now, and I'm so grateful.”

HKJ January 10, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I wanted to share my experience because when I first started taking Lexapro I read these boards daily searching for hope. I have always had anxiety but it was not until this summer that I started experiencing physical symptoms, I was constantly nauseous, often felt dizzy, and my heart would flutter in my chest non stop. I thought I was losing my mind and going crazy. This led to depression and a feeling of hopelessness. I went to the doctor and had every test in the book done and nothing was wrong. I was then prescribed Lexapro and the first couple weeks were rough.I started on 5mgs for two weeks and during that time I was also taking .25 Xanax a day while I got used to the Lexapro.I am now two months into 10 mg and have never felt better!”

nichole5543 · Taken for less than 1 month December 28, 2013

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I started taking Lexapro 10 mg 4 days ago. I already feel less anxious and panicky. I haven't been experiencing heart flutters and palpitations like I usually would from stress and anxiety. I feel more energized, outgoing, happy & less stressed. It helps me sleep better at night. The only side effect that I have noticed thus far is that the medicine makes me yawn a lot, which I have heard tapers off after a few weeks of being on the medicine. Other than that I have not noticed any other issues. I think Lexapro is great!”

Terry1209 · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 26, 2014

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I have suffered with anxiety and agoraphobia since I was 6. Since the age of 19, I never went more than 45 mins from home. I started on Lexapro and an anti-anxiety medicine in 2009. I have made it to a beach that I hadn't seen since I was 14, I am now 60, and have been 7 times since 2009. The drive is 1 hr 30 mins from home. I go every summer, more than once, and sometimes stay a few days, one time staying 6 days! This medicine is a God send, I wish they had it 20 years ago.”

Ann · Taken for less than 1 month November 4, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I've taken Lexapro for about a week now. I feel very sick to my stomach dizzy and just not able to get much done. I've tried taking it in the morning then switched to night neither one made a difference still felt the same. I stopped taking it and will ask for another type.”

Johnofflexapro May 2, 2013

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Hello to everyone reading this. In the summer of 2012 I had the worst panic attack. I thought I was having a heart attack and immediately rushed to the hospital. Long story short, I was prescribed Lexapro since I was not progressing and had lost 40 lbs in less than a month. I spent nights crying asking why me. Within two weeks of taking 20mgs, I felt like my old self again. I was no longer socially anxious when it came to conversing with people and was thankful to be alive. The depressed and anxious me stayed home all day and lay in bed, but not anymore. Been off it 3 months now but advice to others is not to research 100 different sites for side effects.”

god son August 25, 2013

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I had for at least 11 years suffered from anxiety disorder for years. Worrying, palpitations, shortness of breath, basically all the popular anxiety symptoms. I am on Lexapro because it does work. Side effects like lower sex drive, difficulty reaching orgasm, insomnia all go away. I find myself fearless, my life is active, no more "what if's" and no anxiety attacks. It's a miracle pill. BUT, I was 135 pounds, skinny. I'm 5'5 I had an amazing metabolism my body was rock solid. After 3 years of Lexapro I am now 165 pounds. I have to try work out and eat healthy I know. Please don't wait as long as I did to change your life and get back to your wonderfully made self!”

Anne23 June 13, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I was prescribed Lexapro for GAD, PTSD from a physical assault, and moderate depression, and it has honestly changed my life. I've been on it for 6 months. Since this is my first anti-depressant, I was started at 5mg and moved up to 10mg after two weeks. The first week was very tough. I woke up in the night with sweats and a racing heart. The first few days I felt a bit foggy/bit of a head high. I was forewarned that this was normal, so I persevered; I'm so glad I did! My day-to-day anxiety has been reduced tremendously. I can sleep through the night, I handle stress well, and I feel like I'm in control of my life. I'm excited to try new things and I'm more social. Before starting Lexapro, I had depression that felt like a fog - no energy, disinterested, plus frequent migraines. I haven't had any of those symptoms since going on the pill. When I'm in situations that trigger my PTSD I feel much more prepared to handle and get through the situation. This pill has saved my life.”

BW March 14, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I started suffering serious depression and anxiety a few years ago while trying to reintegrate myself into society, the work force and social circles following 12 years in prison. My doctor's tried me on multiple other SSRI meds to no avail. About 7 weeks ago I was started on Lexapro and after a few weeks of patience and perseverance through the fits of sweating, tiredness and sleepiness I feel like I am much much better. I have been able to let go of my prison mentality and actually feel like I do have a place in society. I am working, making new healthy friends and rebuilding family ties. I now understand that my drug use was tied in with my depression and anxiety more so than I ever thought. There is no doubt that you must be patient with Lexapro and may have to get through a couple weeks of uncomfortable side effects HOWEVER, Lexapro is far superior in my experience with treating serious anxiety and depression.”

RealRL · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 9, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I was very resistant to the idea of taking meds, but somehow lived with crippling anxiety for over 10 years that affected my friendships, family connections and ability to have a meaningful relationship. A year ago I tried Prozac and it made me have suicidal thoughts and the start up affects didn't disappear after 8 weeks. Then 3 months ago I bit the bullet and tried lexapro. Let me tell you that any Doctor who says u will be fine after 2 weeks doesn't know what they are talking about. The start up effects are brutal...sickness, increased anxiety, depression. I couldn't leave bed. However, 6-8 weeks later all these effects subsided and now 3 months + in its the best I've ever felt. This is game changer for someone who has suffered anxiety for over 10 years. Next...dedication towards therapies (recommend ACT, excellent framework to building up resistance to anxiety and minimalising its impact on your life). Stick with it...6-8 weeks of pain is nothing compared to months, years of feeling great.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 18, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I’ve actually been on Lexapro a few times. The second time around I was put on it for my anxiety issues and stress at work and Lexapro has been great. There isn’t a magic pill to fix any and everything but this has done its job well. Just don’t run out and procrastinate to pick up your prescription because after two days with out I would start to get moody and a little stressed. But I take it at night and it seems to help me fall a sleep. Best of luck! ”

Sammy · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 29, 2020

“I have had an overall positive experience on Escitalopram/Cipralex. While I did suffer minor side effects at first (hand tremors and a bit of extra energy), I eventually got better with the help of this drug and therapy. I suffer with anxiety which leads to depression when it spirals out of control and this medication keep me on track. I know every person is different which can make finding the right SSRI a challenge, however I used genetic testing and found out that this medication was one of the drugs I was compatible with so I felt more at ease taking it. If you can afford it, I highly recommend doing genetic testing to cut the guessing out of the prescription. I have been on multiple SSRIs before the testing and am happy that I finally found this one. I have been on 20mg for over a year now and will likely not get off of it for some time. I am living proof that you can be your old self again with some help and you WILL get better!”

Heartbreak89 November 9, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Hello, I would like to say I lived by these reviews to help me through my darkest days with this here anxiety/panic disorder. I had symptoms that range from nausea, stomach pain, diarrhea, no appetite, the feeling of about to pass out/faint, noodle feeling sensation in my leg etc to the point I didn't feel like myself anymore and thought death was near. Thank you for your reviews it help get past all that and I got to the good part where is works without the side effects”

Tetta · Taken for less than 1 month October 4, 2013

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Just wanted to thank you everyone who took their time to write these reviews. I was adamant I was going to overcome anxiety by myself but I lost more and more control. Lived in the constant fear of it and was obsessed. My life has been literally on hold for the last 8 weeks and my husband and children have suffered from it too. After reading your reviews yesterday I took my first Lexapro, didn't think it would work for a few weeks but actually the effect was pretty immediate, about an hour after taking it I went out and suddenly realized the world, the color, the people everything looked like it used too! Very little side effects so far, only dry mouth and poor appetite. So far so good.”

Mary-beth 1208 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 10, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I have been on Lexapro for just over a month, and I have seen a huge improvement with my anxiety. My anxiety can be crippling at times. I am 30 and have had anxiety since I was in elementary school. The Lexapro makes me feel calmer and more aware of myself. I am able to see past my anxious thoughts and be more connected with what is actually going on around me. I noticed a change in the first week or so. The first two weeks I took it in the morning and felt extremely tired every day. Then, I switched to taking it in the early evening (like around 6PM) and felt better. Aside from the drowsiness, I haven't had any negative side effects.”

Learn more about Generalized Anxiety Disorder