I took Nexito plus for 3 months then stopped 2 days ago and now I am not able to sleep. Why?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 8, 2020.
It sounds as though you most likely stopped your medicine too quickly. If you have been taking escitalopram for several months and suddenly stop you can experience withdrawal symptoms. Some typical withdrawal symptoms include mood changes, irritability, dizziness and difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep. You probably should have been advised to decrease your dose gradually.
The active ingredient in Nexito is a drug called escitalopram. Escitalopram is used to treat depression and generalized anxiety disorder and belongs in a class of antidepressants called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). It works by increasing the amount of serotonin, a natural substance in the brain that helps maintain mental balance.
Related Medical Questions
- SSRI’s vs SNRI’s - What's the difference between them?
- What is the difference between Celexa and Lexapro?
- What are some common side effects of antidepressants?
- Escitalopram Information for Consumers
- Escitalopram Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Escitalopram (detailed)
Related Support Groups
- Escitalopram (104 questions, 339 members)